Family Life Parts 81-90

Family Life Part 81
Jim’s Secret Life
By Patt

Word Count: 3286

Summary: When Jim is alone he likes to sing and dance to old musicals. Someone is going to find out his secret.
Notes: I’m sending a big thank you to Helena, who came up with this wonderful idea and I needed this after the last sad one I wrote. I hope you all enjoy it, if you do, you can thank her.

Musicals:
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:
‘Bless Your Beautiful Hide’
‘When You’re in Love’
‘Goin’ Cour’tin’

The Sound of Music:
‘My Favorite Things’
‘Climb Every Mountain’

State Fair:
‘It Might as Well Be Spring’
‘That’s for Me’
‘More Then Just a Friend’

Jesus Christ Superstar:
‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’
‘Superstar’

The Music Man:
‘Till There was You’.
‘Seventy-six Trombones’

Jim loved Wednesday mornings after Blair and the kids left because he had the house to himself. He had some of his favorite musical music on his IPod and would clean the house while he sang and danced his way through all of his work. By the time Blair got home at lunch time, he was done with the house and got the singing out of the way. That way no one would know about it and no one would tease him about loving musicals.

His Favorites were The Music Man, State Fair, The Sound of Music, Jesus Christ Superstar and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. This was a secret that only he knew and no one else had a clue as to Jim’s secret life. No one even knew that he could sing. When he was in school he was in Glee Club. He always loved it, but had to quit it when he started football, because no one would have ever let him live it down that he was singing in a musical for no reason.

He loved all musicals, and would gladly watch anything on television that had musicals in them, but alas, Blair didn’t get into musicals. So Jim was left to do this on his own. It was his own little private moment that meant the world to him. He felt bad sometimes for not sharing with Blair but after all, some things weren’t meant to be talked about. And Jim just knew that Blair would tease him at work, then everyone else would tease him at work and his secret would be ruined. It was safer and easier this way.

Jim put his shorts on, had no shirt on and had his IPod attached to his jean shorts. Jim went upstairs to the boys’ room first and starting dusting, vacuuming and cleaning like mad. That didn’t take too long. After all, he had taught those boys well. He wanted to wash the stairs going down and polish them, so he was on his knees, singing, ‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’, when Blair walked in the door. To say Blair was shocked, would not have been a good enough description. Jim could really sing. He was hitting all of the high notes, just like the woman did in ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’. Then as he worked his way down the stairs, he started singing, ‘Superstar’ and Blair got tears in his eyes. He knew that Jim had his senses turned down, so that he could hear only the music. So he was safe for the time being. Blair moved into the kitchen and got down on the floor and listened to what was next.

Then Jim switched gears totally and went to ‘Seven Brides for Seven Brothers’ and began to sing ‘Bless Your Beautiful Hide’. As he sang it he was swinging his body around and Blair got up just long enough to see Jim display wonderful dancing techniques. Next came ‘When You’re in Love’ and ended up with ‘Goin’ Courtin’.

Blair was shocked. Jim was this person he didn’t even know. This bothered Blair to no end. How long had Jim been doing this? Did anyone know his secret? Why wouldn’t Jim share this with him? Blair felt terrible and somewhat hurt over all of this.

He sat on the floor and listened to the rest of Jim’s singing. Jim walked into the bathroom and began to sing, ‘My Favorite Things’ from ‘Sound of Music’. It was followed by ‘Climb Every Mountain’.

When Jim got to Samantha’s room, he was singing music from ‘The Music Man’. Blair almost laughed as he sang ‘Seventy-six Trombones’ and was really getting into it. Blair could just imagine how much joy this was bringing Jim. It saddened Blair but at the same time, Blair knew this was something that Jim needed for his own little secret. So Blair did what he had to do. He walked out of the kitchen and went to the front door, opened it and walked out without saying a word to Jim. Jim was never the wiser. He had no idea that his secret was no longer a secret.

Blair went down to his SUV and sat there thinking. He wished he could hear the rest of the songs that Jim had planned on singing. His voice was beautiful. How could he have hid this from all of them? Didn’t they all deserve to know? Blair sighed and leaned back against the headrest and thought about what he would do if Jim found out something he was doing on the sly. First of all, he had no secrets. There was nothing that Jim didn’t know. So he couldn’t compare anything to it.

Blair had gotten off early that day because everyone passed their exams and the Captain had given everyone at the academy the day off. Did Jim do this every Wednesday? How did no one know about this? Blair was surprised that the neighbors didn’t complain about the loud singing and clomping around. No, he thought more about it and realized, he would never turn anyone in that sounded that good. Jim was a joy to listen to.

Blair knew he couldn’t say anything to Jim, but he didn’t think that it could go to the side either. So Blair was going to bring some movies home for them to watch. They would be musicals and Blair was going to watch Jim’s face and see if he loved watching them as much as he loved singing them. Blair took off and went to the DVD store to pick out ‘The Music Man’ and ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’. No, he couldn’t do that, because Jim would know. He would have to pick out some new musicals to bring home. The person at the shop could help him. Blair wasn’t that into musicals, so he did need help.

When he arrived, he walked in like a man on a mission. Because after all, he was determined to have Jim share his secret with him. It wasn’t fair that Blair had none and Jim had this huge one hanging over their heads.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim finished up in Sam’s room and started the living room. He finished that in no time and walked into the kitchen. He stopped dead in his tracks and knew that Blair had been there. He turned up his senses and was certain. He could smell anxiety on Blair and now Blair wasn’t home anymore. Jim knew he had screwed up big time. That’s what he got for having a secret. Blair probably thought he had a ton of secrets. Why didn’t Blair stay and talk to him? Was he so unnerved at seeing and hearing Jim sing that he couldn’t even talk to his lover? Jim’s heart was pounding. He tore the IPod ear buds out of his ears and threw them in the trash. He might have just ruined him and Blair’s relationship all because he loved a stupid thing like musicals. Jim cleaned the kitchen while he was waiting for Blair to get home and finished with time to spare.

Jim was pacing the balcony when Blair came home. He smiled up at Jim and waved. Jim was confused at this. Was Blair not angry? How could he not be angry to find out that Jim had a secret life? But yet he smiled and waved. What did he have in his hand? Jim was dying to see by the time Blair walked in.

“Wow, the house looks great, Jim. Sorry I’m late. Are we still on for lunch?” Blair asked.

Jim was never really quick at trying to figure out what Blair was up to, so he just came right out and said it. “Blair, I know you were here. I know you heard me, might have even seen me dancing and I’m sure you have questions.”

“Okay… Since you brought it up, where in the hell did that voice come from? Jim, you sing better then people that do it for a living. Why in the world would you be hiding it from me and the kids?”

“Blair, I just didn’t want anyone to know. Now it’s ruined.” Jim started to walk into the kitchen and started polishing the refrigerator.

“So tell me what’s going on here. Now it’s ruined? I get no lunch and never get to hear you sing like that again? Is that what you’re telling me?” Blair shouted. “And stop polishing the fridge. It’s already so shiny that you can see yourself in it.”

Jim stopped polishing and said, “Why would I sing now?”

“Well, I like to be sung to. You could serenade me whenever you liked. You could still do what you do all month, but you could save special times for just me and you. I would love to have you sing ‘Bless Your Beautiful Hide to me’.”

“Blair, you have never ever brought home a musical DVD, so why would I think you would be interested in musicals?” Jim asked.

“Too tell you the truth, the answer might hurt your feelings a little bit.”

“What? What’s the truth, Chief?”

“I figured a football player, army man, turned cop wouldn’t like to watch musicals with his nerdy boyfriend. That’s what I thought,” Blair confessed.

“You like musicals?” Jim asked happily.

“Why yes, I love musicals. I went to all of the ones in high school and college. I never sang, because I can’t sing, but I loved watching and dreaming of some day having someone serenading me. Honestly, it’s always been a dream of mine.”

“So what’s in the bag, babe?”

“I bought some musicals to add to our DVD collection. I got quite a few. If you don’t like some of them, then we’ll take them back and buy some that are your favorites. “

“Did you get ‘Singing in the Rain’?” Jim asked.

“As a matter of fact, I did. One of my favorites. I got some great ones Jim and I want you to sing to me now and then. When we’re outside and alone there is nothing stopping you from singing and dancing just for me.”

Jim hugged Blair so hard that Blair couldn’t breathe for a moment. “Hey big man, what’s that about? You act like you were upset about something. Talk to me.”

“I thought you would leave when you found my secret life out. I should have told you. I never should have kept it a secret from you. The kids, maybe, but never you.”

“Wait a minute. You thought I would leave you because you can sing?” Blair burst out laughing and then Jim threw back his head and laughed along with Blair. It did seem stupid now that Blair said it aloud.

Jim looked through the bag and saw all of the wonderful musicals that Blair picked out and Jim said, “We can watch one every Wednesday when you get home from the academy. This is going to be great. Now how about lunch?”

“Where are we going?” Blair asked.

“’Wonderburger’. You owe me for not staying and telling me you liked my singing.”

“Okay, this once,” Blair teased as they walked out the door, holding hands all the way down the stairs.

“Thank you for understanding, Chief.”

“You’re most welcome. Everyone has a secret now and then,” Blair admitted.

“I know that yours is that you don’t like musicals, but you like my singing, so you asked someone at the store to help you pick out the best musicals made. You don’t have to pretend to like them, Chief. Really.”

Blair laughed and said, “Man, I was hoping to have a deep dark secret from you. I can’t lie to my Sentinel, can I?”

“Nope, and you shouldn’t have to. Again, I’m sorry for not telling you about me and my music.” Jim was driving down the road and just smiled like crazy.

“Speaking of singing, did you ever sing in front of Carolyn?” Blair asked.

“As a matter of fact, I did in the shower and she told me not to sing in the shower at the station because the guys would think I was gay. She told me to knock it off.”

“Holy shit. Really?” Blair asked, astonished.

“Well, guys don’t usually sing, Chief. And she was correct about me being gay, so she wasn’t wrong,” Jim teased.

“Still, I think that’s a crummy thing to say.”

“That’s why I’m with you and not with her,” Jim said as he kissed Blair at the stop light.

“Jim, I’ve never seen any of those musicals that I bought today, so you’re going to be showing me the ropes. What are we going to start with?”

“I think ‘Sound of Music’. It’s such a nice love story and the music is gorgeous. I think you’ll like it. Then next Wednesday we’ll watch ‘Seven Brides for Seven Brothers’. That is a good one too. Actually Chief, there isn’t a bad one among the ones you brought home. They rock. Chances are the guy who helped you was in glee club or something like that,” Jim guessed.

“He was. He told me he was. Good guess, Jim. No wonder you’re the lead detective,” Blair joked.

“This is going to be fun. Wednesday’s are going to be something special for me. Thank you for trying this. If you don’t like musicals, that’s fine too. But here’s hoping you love them as much as I do.”

!!!!!!!!!!

They got home and popped popcorn and watched ‘Sound of Music’ before the kids got home. Blair teared up quite a few times and was very moved by the entire story. But what was really gorgeous was the singing. The music was non-stop beauty. Blair was hooked and he wasn’t lying about it.

Jim could tell that Blair really loved the movie. He knew he wasn’t pretending just to be nice. “I knew you would love it. It’s an oldie, but a goodie.”

“Now, I want you to sing one of the songs from the movie that you love the most and I’ll just sit back and be wooed.”

Jim thought a moment and then without missing a beat, broke into song, singing Climb Every Mountain. He sang the entire thing and knew all of the words. Somehow Blair wasn’t surprised about that. But it did make Blair get tears in his eyes a couple of times. Jim was that fucking good. When he finished, Blair kissed him so hard that it took Jim’s breath away.

“You are the most romantic person I have ever met. Thank you for singing to me. It means the world to me. But I also want you to sing around the house when you’re alone. Just like you did before. You should be able to do that and feel joyful, because when you sing, it brought joy to my heart, so it probably does yours too.”

Jim kissed Blair and said, “I’m going to show you exactly how much I love you tonight in bed. We don’t have time now. The kids will be home soon. Let’s put these movies away so they don’t ask questions, okay?”

“Sounds good to me,” Blair helped him open all of the movies and put them in the DVD cabinet. They had just finished and the kids walked in the door.

“Wow, dad, the house looks great as usual, but it smells like popcorn,” Max said.

“Yeah, you’re pop bought me a movie today and we watched it and ate popcorn,” Jim admitted.

Drew said, “So what movie did you get him, pop?”

Blair didn’t know what to say. He just stood there with his mouth hanging open. Jim said, “You’ve probably never heard of it. It’s really old. I like old movies and it’s called ‘The Sound of Music’.”

“Oh yeah, that’s a good one. We have that one now?” Drew asked.

“Yeah, it’s in the cabinet along with some other musicals. I like a musical now and then,” Jim confessed further.

“We like them too. Is Grease in there? Maybe we could watch that tonight. I love that movie,” Max said.

“Yes, Grease is in there. Both one and two. As long as homework is done in time, we can watch that tonight. Samantha I think you’ll be watching a movie in your dvd player. It’s for teens, not for little ones,” Blair said.

Samantha started crying and said, “I hate being a little kid. I always miss the good stuff.”

Jim held her on his lap and explained that sometimes you had to wait until you were older to see certain movies.

Max and Drew looked through the movie cabinet and Drew said, “How about ‘The Music Man’? There’s nothing wrong with that one? Sam can watch that one. We can watch Grease some day upstairs, if that’s okay with you and dad.”

“That’s a wonderful idea. ‘The Music Man’ is a perfect movie for Sam. She’ll like it. It’s fun. Have you boys seen it?” Jim asked.

“Yup, we’ve seen all of the movies you have in here. We always liked our gramma’s musicals while we were growing up. Then when we went to different foster homes, they would have us watch musicals too. So we’re used to them. What brought this on?” Max asked.

“I like musicals, but I didn’t want to make you kids watch them if you hated them. So now that we know, we can watch a musical now and then. Pop has seen none of them but ‘Sound of Music’, so far.”

“Oh pop, you’re in for the time of your life. Musicals are great. My gramma used to say they made your heart feel good,” Drew said.

Jim smiled and said, “Drew, you’re gramma was a very wise woman. I would have liked meeting her because she expressed my feelings about musicals, exactly. I bet you both miss her.”

“Yeah, we do. But now we have grampa Ellison and gramma Naomi to dote on us, so it’s not that bad at all. We love our life. We’re fine. What’s for dinner?” Max asked.

Everyone laughed as they fell into the daily routine and were back to the normalcy of the Sandburg-Ellison household.

!!!!!!!!!!

As they were doing the dishes a song came on the radio from ‘Seven Brides for Seven Brothers’. Jim started dancing with Blair, as he sang ‘When You’re in Love’, along with the song on the radio. The kids all stood in the doorway and watched the two of them and smiled. No one laughed and no one thought it odd that Jim could sing that well.

Blair lit up like a light bulb at Jim sharing this with the kids. This meant the world to all of them. Jim no longer had secrets.

‘It Might as Well Be Spring’.

The end

Family Life Part 82
Birthday for Drew
By Patt

Word Count: 4,059

Summary: It’s Drew’s 14th birthday and he doesn’t really think that it’ll be anything special. Jim and Blair go out of their way to make it perfect.

Notes: I used my grand-parents names in this story and they were a lot like these people are. I hope you enjoy them.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim was sitting at his desk in the bullpen daydreaming. Blair smiled because Jim didn’t do that too often, but today he had caught him doing it three times.

Blair whispered, “So what’s on your mind?”

Jim smiled. Blair always knew when something was bothering him. “I want to give Drew the best 14th birthday party he could ever hope to have. Sam and Max both got great ones and I’m trying to think of something special for Drew.”

“We’ll think of something perfect, don’t you worry. We have to figure out what he loves the most and then come up with something on those lines,” Blair said.

“But Blair, he loves cooking the most. It’s not like we can give him a chef for his party,” Jim teased.

“Why couldn’t we? Why couldn’t we try the best place in town and see if he’ll make a special dinner up for Drew and then when he’s done eating it, Drew could help him make something in the kitchen? If we paid a chef enough money, he would do just about anything, don’t you think?” Blair asked.

“Chief, we’re probably talking a few thousand dollars. We can’t spend that much on him for his birthday.”

“Jim, you got Max a car for his birthday and insurance. So what do you plan on giving Drew anyway?”

Jim thought for a moment and said, “Okay, your idea is sounding better and better. But for his actual birthday gift, couldn’t we sign him up for those expensive cooking classes that he talks about non-stop?”

“We need to find a perfect restaurant and then find the perfect chef. He has to be good enough for our Drew. Drew isn’t your ordinary teen. He needs to be really impressed. So I think I’ll start looking soon. Want to take me out for dinner tonight?”

Jim laughed. “Only you would make this fun for us too. Of course, I’ll take you out to dinner. We need to find the perfect chef. We need some of his time and that won’t come cheap.”

Jim looked in the phone book trying to figure out a perfect restaurant. “I know the place. Why am I looking? How about Saccony’s? I took you there for our first date and you said it was the best Italian food you had ever had. Unless you lied, what about starting there?”

Blair practically bounced in his seat. “Oh man, we haven’t been there in years. I loved Saccony’s. It was one of the best dinners I’ve ever had. I wasn’t lying, Jim. It really was the best Italian food, ever. And we know how much Drew loves making Italian food. He also loves eating it. When could we talk to the chef?”

“Let me call for an appointment and see when we can get in,” Jim suggested. He picked up the phone and talked to someone and was put on hold for some time. Blair thought he might hang up on them, he could tell Jim was getting pissed off. Finally the woman came back on and said something to Jim. “That’s the only time he can see us today?”

She told him something else and Jim said, “We’ll be there. We’ll see Samuel Antonio Saccony at 3:00. Thank you for making the time,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

“Oh my god, we’re meeting with him now?” Blair said looking at his watch.

“He’s a very busy man and was impressed with our story and wants to see us at 3:00. So of course, I said yes. What was I going to say, no?”

“But, Jim we don’t want to rush into this do we?” Blair asked.

“No, but at the same time, we only have three weeks to plan this. It’s got to be perfect. We want Drew to feel as loved and blessed as the other two. It’s hard being the middle child, I’ve heard. Drew puts up with a lot of crap from both Max and Sam. We’re going to be inviting my dad and his family and your mom. So we need to prepare for it,” Jim ranted.

“Okay, who is telling Simon that we’re taking off at 3:00 to see a chef?” Blair teased.

“I will, he’ll agree with me when I tell him why.” Jim got up and walked to the office and knocked on the door.

Blair was glad he didn’t have Sentinel hearing so that he didn’t have to hear Simon whining about them taking off early to see something as goofy as a chef. They seemed to be doing all right, Jim wasn’t getting pissed off and leaving Simon’s office, so things were looking good.

Jim came walking out of Simon’s office and said, “We’re off. It’s going to take 30 minutes to get there. We can’t be late. Time is money, Chief.”

Blair couldn’t believe how easily it was for Jim to talk Simon into this. “Wow, I’m impressed. I thought we would have to sign over our first grandchild or something.”

They walked down the stairs to the garage and Jim laughed as they walked. “No, I just had to promise to work two Saturday’s for him. He’s got plans on two of them and asked if we could make a deal. As long as it wasn’t the date of Drew’s birthday, I didn’t care. I knew you wouldn’t care either.”

“You’re right, this is more important then two Saturdays work. Thank you, babe. Drew will be pleased when he finds out why you’re working both of the days,” Blair said.

They drove downtown to Saccony’s and parked in the empty parking lot and got out. The front door was locked, so Jim knocked on the door and waited patiently. They were ten minutes early, so they knew they weren’t going to be pissing anyone off that day.

A lovely looking woman opened the door and said, “Detective Ellison?”

“Yes, ma’am. Are you the lady I talked to today on the phone?”

“I am. Samuel is my husband and he thinks it’s fantastic that you’re willing to spend so much time, effort and money on your child’s birthday, all because he wants to be a chef. So follow me and we’ll meet Samuel.”

Blair pinched Jim for not introducing him and Jim said, “I’m sorry, this is my partner Blair Sandburg, this is our son we’re talking about.”

“My name is Rosa and it’s very nice to meet both of you. Now follow me.” She locked the front door again and they followed her into the main dining room. It looked much different empty. It was huge. She said, “Sit down here and I’ll let Samuel know you are here to see him. He’ll be so pleased that you’re on time. He despises those that don’t think his time is as valuable as theirs. Sit, sit. I will bring some wine?”

“No, ma’am. We’re driving. So we’ll just talk to him. A glass of water for both of us would be great,” Jim said.

“I will be right back, relax, you both look so nervous. My Samuel is very easy to talk to. You’re going to like him a lot.”

Jim and Blair smiled as she walked into the kitchen and they heard pots and pans clanging and just wonderful kitchen noises that you love to hear when you’re not the cook.

A large man came out of the kitchen wearing a huge smile on his handsome face. He walked up to the table and held his hand out and said, “You must be Jim and you must be Blair. I’m Samuel and I hear you want to do something special for your son. You have come to the right place. I have a proposition for you if you are willing to put your son in my hands for the evening.”

Jim smiled. “I think I would trust you with all three of our children.”

“Good, good. Trust is indeed a good thing. Now Blair, how do you feel about it?”

“What do you mean in your hands?” Blair asked.

“I thought it would be good if I came to the table and introduced myself and asked Drew if he would like to go in the kitchen with me and work the evening shift. It would be very difficult. I am not an easy man to be around. I am very choosy about who is in my kitchen, so I need to see a picture of him first. I will be able to tell by looking at him, if this will work. Some children have a look about them that puts me off right away.

Blair pulled his billfold out and showed him the picture of Drew. Samuel patted Blair’s cheek and said, “You must be very proud of him. He walks a hard road in life. Chefs are not that popular growing up. But he seems to look like a happy and healthy boy. I will do this, if you agree that he will be under my wing for the four hours he is here.”

“Four hours?” Jim asked, somewhat shocked.

“It will take us four hours to prepare all of the meals for the evening. Then I will teach him to display the food so that it looks perfect. It will be four hours. And for this, I ask that your party be at least six people and they are willing to stay for four hours and we suggest you bring no one under the age of 12. It’s important that it happens this way. What do you think about this?” Samuel asked.

“He has a little sister who is five. He wouldn’t feel right about celebrating without her there to help. I guess it wasn’t meant to be,” Blair said.

“Young man, do you give up this easily for everything in life? I did not think so. Now bring the five year old, but also bring something for her to do. She will be bored. You won’t be because I will be bringing food to your table the entire night. It will be served to you by myself and Drew. He will be Mr. Drew for the evening.”

Blair sat back and smiled at this man that had such a way with him that Blair was in love with the second man in his life. Okay, not really but Blair did love the man. Not in love.

Jim said, “Now could we talk about the money part of it? I need to know how much to take out of savings.”

“Jim, you do not listen well do you? I said, what I ask if a party of six to sit here for four hours while he works in the kitchen. That is what I ask. My meals are very expensive, as you must know already. So a party of six will be quite high. There will be wine served, so I suggest you do not drive. Take a cab for once. Now when do we want to do this? I am going to keep my reservation list down to the minimum on that night. I do not want to overwork him and make him give up. But I also want him to see that it is a busy, hard, hectic and challenging life. I also want him to see the love that one feels for the clients and the food itself. He is going to be in good hands. Now what night will we do this?”

Jim stopped him and said, “I refuse to let you do this for that price alone. We either talk a set amount, or we won’t do it. Your time, your effort and your kindness must be paid for.”

“How does $500.00 sound for the evening?”

Jim smiled and said, “That is fantastic. I can’t thank you enough for seeing us today and agreeing to do this. You have no idea what this will mean to him. He loves the idea of being a chef. Now he’ll actually get the true feeling of being one. This will be the best birthday he’s ever had.”

“They are adopted, no?” Samuel asked.

“Yes, they started out being our foster children and they realized they didn’t mind us being gay. We knew right then that they would have to be ours,” Blair answered.

“You are good men, both of you. Stubborn, but good. Now are we going to choose a date or not?” Samuel teased.

Jim and Blair got their date books out and so did Samuel. They worked it out so that it would be on the night of his birthday, which was a Saturday night. Jim gave him his card if he needed to get a hold of him and Samuel said, “I do not need to get a hold of someone that cares this much about their child. You will be here and so will I. This will be the best birthday he will ever have. I will give him the clothing to wear that night. So it doesn’t matter what he wears to come here.”

Blair got up and shook his hand and said, “Thank you for your kindness.”

“Thank you for giving this boy such a wonderful home. He is lucky and so are you both.” Samuel smiled as he shook hands with Jim next and walked them to the door.

“Oh Jim, I ask one more thing. When you come, you could bring a dozen roses for my wife. She would love to have them for the table you see as you come in the restaurant. We will see you soon,” Samuel said as he pushed them out the door and locked it behind them.

“Wow, was that the most wonderful thing that has ever happened in our life?” Blair asked.

“I don’t think I’ve met anyone like him, ever.”

“I loved his accent. It was so charming, wasn’t it?” Blair smiled as they got into the SUV.

“I loved everything about him. I mean it. I loved him,” Jim admitted to Blair and Blair laughed.

“There was one moment in the room when I thought, I love him. He was warm and kind, but yet you could tell he meant business. He’s going to be good to Drew. I can tell,” Blair said.

“Now we have to set it up so that we can have six people at the table. Let’s see, there will be dad, Sarah, Mark, Mike, Mary, Naomi, Max, Sam, you and me. I think that’s enough. I’ll call dad as soon as we get home from upstairs in the office. You can call your mom from up there too. It’s not a surprise, we’ll tell him that he’s going there and that it was our first date restaurant and it means a lot to us. He’ll never know what hit him,” Jim said smiling.

“Should we invite Seth, Sam and Denise Barrow’s too?” Blair asked.

“Yes, that’s a good idea. We need to count these people up and call Samuel and tell him how many there will be. He needs to plan ahead. God, this is going to be so good,” Jim said happily.

“Okay, and no one will tease him about being the chef for a night, right? I mean, Seth and Sam understand how much it means to him, right?” Blair asked.

“Babe, I’m not sure. Let’s leave them out. Instead we’ll just have the eleven of us. Ten once Drew goes into the kitchen. I think we need to get him a gift to open at home, so he won’t have a clue,” Jim said.

“I can’t believe he’s been with us a year now. This has been a good year. Thank you for helping me give him the best day he’ll ever have,” Blair said sweetly.

“But what about a gift? Do you think we could give him the cooking class for his birthday present?” Jim asked.

“Oh, good idea. He would love that. Do you think we should ask Samuel about the classes? Ask him if they are the best ones or not?” Blair wondered.

“That’s a very good idea. Call him when we get home and ask him. Maybe he’ll have time to talk for a few minutes.”

!!!!!!!!!!!

When they arrived at home, Blair couldn’t believe how many things they needed to do. And cooking dinner wasn’t one of them.

Blair said, “Drew, your dad and I have to make some plans for your birthday dinner, so could you and Max start dinner tonight. I have stir fry out.”

“Sure, where are we going for my birthday dinner?” Drew asked happily.

“Only the best Italian restaurant in town. It’s called, Saccony’s and it’s everything you would ever dream of in a fancy restaurant. I hope you don’t mind that we chose it for you. Your dad and I went on our first date there, so it has a special meaning for us too,” Blair explained.

“I’ve heard how good it is. Some of the kids at school have been there. They told me it rocks. So yes, that’s fine with me. Thank you, pop.”

“And thank you for making dinner while we make the arrangements,” Blair said as he started into the bedroom to check on Sam first.

“Hi pumpkin, how are you doing?” Blair asked as he sat down on her bed.

“I’m good. I’m doing homework, so I can’t talk. Max said that if I do all of my homework, I can play Wii with him tonight,” Sam said happily.

“Good enough. I’ll be upstairs if you need me, Sam.” Blair walked out and started up the stairs to join Jim in the quest for the perfect party.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair had called Samuel and Samuel told him a place that had cooking classes on weekends alone that was twice the school that the other one was. He explained that it was twice as expensive, but Blair hadn’t cared about that. So Blair called and got the dates of the starting classes and paid with his Visa. That part of the party was finished. They sent him a special delivery card at work to give to Drew on his birthday. Blair already had it filled out and everything. Jim just needed to sign it. Then that part of the gift was done.

Blair reminded Jim that he needed to send a dozen roses to Rosa for doing this and get the extra money out of savings for the gift and the dinner for everyone. Jim planned on paying for the entire thing. Everything was set. Now they just needed the day to get there and the birthday boy.

!!!!!!!!!!

On the night of his birthday everyone was there. Naomi gave him a savings bond for his college years and he was thrilled. It was his first one. Then William gave him $500.00 just like he had Max and Drew was very impressed. Then Sam gave him two Wii games that he had asked for and he was very pleased with those. He hugged everyone and thought that was it. Jim said, “What? You don’t think we got you anything?”

“Dad, I figured you and pop were paying enough for this restaurant. I heard at school that it’s very fancy and expensive. So no, I wasn’t expecting anything.”

Blair handed him the envelope and he opened and didn’t say anything at first. Then he teared up and gave Jim and Blair both a hug. “I wanted this class so bad, but I knew we couldn’t afford it. So I didn’t even bother telling you all about it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

Drew then showed everyone his admittance form to one of the best cooking school in Cascade. They were all happy for him. Everyone knew how much Drew loved cooking.

!!!!!!!!!!

They arrived at the restaurant just at the right time and came by cab as promised, so they could have wine. When they walked in, Rosa hugged Jim and Blair and thanked them for the roses. Drew and Max just looked a little lost over why their dad would be sending roses to this woman. Then they were seated and didn’t think about it anymore.

“Wow, this place is huge and nice. I can’t believe we’re here,” Drew confessed.

Jim and Blair just smiled because the best was yet to come. Samuel came walking up to the table and said, “Is there a Drew Sandburg-Ellison here tonight?”

Drew raised his hand and said, “I’m Drew.”

“Come with me, please,” Samuel said.

Drew looked at Jim and Blair and Jim said, “Go.”

Drew followed the man into the kitchen and Jim and Blair explained to everyone at the table what was going on. Naomi said, “What a wonderful gift. I bet Blair helped think of it, didn’t he?”

Blair smiled and said, “Believe me it took both of us to come with this plan. We hope it works out and that Samuel isn’t too tough on him. The waiter came up to the table and took their orders and that included the wine orders. Jim wanted this to be perfect, so he ordered the best wine of the house.

When the waiter came back, he brought all of their drinks and poured wine for everyone that was old enough.

The next thing that came to the table was salad’s and they were brought out by Samuel and Drew. Drew had on a white chef uniform and looked the part. He even had the hat on his head. All of his hair was up in the hat, so he looked quite different to everyone. Drew asked if they wanted fresh parmesan or mozzarella on their salads. Drew was so grown up, he did everything just as a waiter would. Then he bowed when he left the table and walked back into the kitchen.

Samuel whispered, “You have a chef on your hands. He’s perfection already.”

Jim and Blair beamed with happiness and so did the grandparents.

The night flew by for being four hours long. The entertainment was very nice. They came and played the violin and viola at each table during the evening. Even Sam got into that. So did Mary.

When Samuel brought Drew back out to them in his normal clothing, Drew looked disappointed.

“I wondered if you would allow Drew to come here once a month and train with me? Samuel asked.

“Of course we would. This is an excellent idea.” Blair was thrilled.

Samuel said, “It will go against his hours he needs to earn for schooling. He’s going to be so far ahead of everyone else, it will not be believable. He is a fantastic cook and a very quick learner. Like I said, you have a chef on your hands.” Samuel hugged Drew and walked off.

“Dad and pop, this was the best birthday I’ve ever had in my life. I never want one that will top it. This will be my favorite, forever. Thank you and I love you both.”

Jim and Blair got up and hugged him and told him how proud they were of him. Then everyone called for the cabs and waited outside while Jim paid the bill. William actually let him do it. Jim was shocked and pleased.

When Jim saw the bill he about died. But it was worth it. He put it on his visa card and then he gave a $500. tip to the waiter and to Samuel. Rosa kissed his cheek when he left and told him not to be a stranger. Jim had a feeling they would be coming here more and more.

Everyone said goodbye to each other when the cabs arrived. Then Jim, Blair, Drew, Max and Sam all got in one and went home.

Drew leaned against Jim and fell asleep ten minutes into the ride. Jim and Blair both smiled and knew they had done well.

Happy Birthday, Drew.

The end

Family Life Part 83
Silly Love Songs
By Patt and ‘Paul McCartney’

Word Count: 2,214 not including the recipes and song lyrics.

Summary: Blair over hears Jim singing a silly love song and is a goner. Jim knows how to woo Blair even when he’s not trying.

Note: I couldn’t help but put Paul McCartney’s name on this story. I adore him and his music. I sing his songs all the time. I figure Jim does too. So here goes. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blair was in the hallway digging his key out of his pocket and could hear the music blaring and Jim singing as he stood there. No wonder Jim wasn’t opening the door for him, he was probably on his way to being deaf. Then Blair decided to listen to Jim.

“You’d think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
But I look around me and I see it isn’t so.
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.
And what’s wrong with that?
I’d like to know, ’cause here I go again”

Blair smiled as he listened because only Jim would be singing a Beatles tune announcing to the world that he loved Blair.

“I love you
I love you
I love you
I love you”

Blair leaned against the wall and closed his eyes. He never got tired of hearing his lover sing. His voice was so wonderful. But he was going to have to tease him about singing this particular song. It just didn’t remind Blair of Jim at all. But Blair realized he didn’t know everything he wanted to know about Jim. He was a closet Beatle fan? Who knew?

“I can’t explain the feeling’s plain to me, now can’t you see?
(I love you)
Ah, she gave me more, she gave it all to me, now can’t you see,
(I love you)
What’s wrong with that?
I need to know, ’cause here I go again”

Okay, Blair knew he had to go in and see his lover singing this song to his face. He opened the door and walked quietly in and locked up. He was hoping to get lucky before the kids got home.

Jim turned around and saw Blair, blushed and stopped singing.

“What are you doing? I loved how you were singing this song to me. I want to see your face while you do it,” Blair ordered.

“I’m not singing it now, I was just singing while I was doing the dishes. I was thinking about you and this morning and it got me in the mood for Paul McCartney. I take it it’s not your cup of tea,” Jim said.

“Well, I’m not a huge Paul McCartney fan, but if you sang me all of the songs, I might become one. I never realized how heartfelt that song is until I just heard you singing it for me. It made you think about this morning, huh?”

“I was thinking about this morning, ten minutes afterwards. You’re very good at what you do, Chief.”

“Why thank you. I do my best,” Blair joked.

“Don’t joke around Chief. You were doing your best and it was ‘the best’ I’ve ever had. You just keep getting better at things and sometimes I feel like I’m going to be left behind. Don’t look at me like that. I’m not nuts, I really do think that I’m sometimes a little too vanilla for you. You try anything and everything and I just go along for the ride. I wish that I was more like you,” Jim confessed.

“Wow, that’s quite a mouthful, Mr. Ellison. I do love your vanilla butt so much, it’s not even funny. Well, of course it’s not funny. But you keep up with me just fine. Have I ever mentioned how much I love the way you suck cock? I think you’re the best in the world.”

Jim threw his head back and laughed. “And you’re comparing it to whom?”

“Anyone. I would put you up against anyone in the world and I bet they would all agree with me that you’re the best. I think it has something to do with your senses. You know exactly what to do and when to do it. Haven’t you ever noticed how fast I come when you blow me?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, but I thought I come just as fast, don’t I?”

It was Blair’s turn to throw back his head and laugh. “I couldn’t compete. Let’s just say that and drop it.”

Jim was very pleased to be ahead in sex in any way. This made him feel like the king of the world. He glanced at Blair and said, “We’ve got time, how would you like me to blow you right now?” Jim wiggled his eyebrows and smiled.

“Only if you’ll promise me one thing,” Blair said.

“What?”

“I want you to finish singing that song to me. Just to me, to my face. Would you do that?”

Jim shoved Blair up the stairs and said, “Get naked, I’m putting the music on.”

Blair rushed upstairs and took his clothing off and heard the CD player change and then change back again. He heard Jim clicking some buttons and then he heard Jim coming up the stairs.

The song started, Jim started singing all of the words with the music, but he was also doing a strip tease to it too. He looked good enough to eat. Blair licked his lips and lay back to enjoy the show.

Jim stripped very slowly so that he would have time to sing the entire song. Every time he got to the ‘I love you part’, he would point to himself and then Blair and back again. Blair thought it was the sexiest thing he had ever seen Jim do in his life.

Before long the song was done and Jim was standing there totally naked and ready for action.

Blair smiled and said, “Blow me, big boy.”

Jim went between Blair’s legs and began his job. It was a dirty job, but Jim knew he had to do it. He almost laughed but decided this wouldn’t be a good time to laugh at anything.

He sucked, licked, bit and chewed Blair for about five minutes and Blair howled Jim’s name for everyone to hear as he shot his warm come down Jim’s inviting throat.

Jim got up and licked his lips and said, “Just the way I like it. Fast and mighty.”

“Now fuck me, Jim.”

Jim couldn’t turn his lover down for anything. He was actually so glad that Blair wanted him all the time that he jumped on any chance to fuck him.

!!!!!!!!!!

When Jim woke up an hour later, he could hear Max, Drew and Samantha talking to Blair downstairs.

“What’s dad doing?” Max asked.

“He’s sleeping,” Blair answered truthfully.

“Do you want me to go and wake daddy up?” Sam asked.

“No, I don’t want you to go and wake him up. He’ll get up on his own and come down stairs. Don’t worry about him, okay?” Blair said softly.

“Okay… Can you help me with homework? I have a lot tonight.” Sam asked.

“Boys, do you have a lot of homework too?” Blair wondered.

“No, we don’t have any. How about we start dinner tonight?” Drew asked.

“Drew that would be wonderful. There is beef in the fridge and you can make a nice beef stew or something,” Blair suggested.

“I’ve got all the makings for something new. I’ll surprise you. Max, you go ahead and help Sam with her homework. Pop, you go get dad up before he sleeps too long and can’t sleep tonight. I’m going to be busy in the kitchen,” Drew said.

“You’re going to be a perfect chef, you’ve bossy already,” Blair teased.

They all laughed, because it was the truth. Even Drew knew that.

Max sat down at the dining room table with Sam and they began to start her homework. Blair walked up the stairs to see his lover already dressed and getting ready to go downstairs.

Blair went over and kissed his man and said, “Never tell me you’re vanilla again. Do you understand? You are so good at fucking me, that I sometimes forget whose name to call out.”

Jim laughed. “You always know what to say to me to make me feel like a million bucks.”

“Well I have to do it with words, because I sure can’t sing it like you do. Let’s go downstairs and I’ll see if Drew needs any help.”

The two men walked down the stairs holding hands and Sam laughed. “Look at daddy and poppy, they’re holding hands. They’re so cute.”

“Yes, they are,” Max agreed.

“I’m going to see if Drew needs any help,” Blair said as he started into the kitchen.

He was met by Drew in the doorway and said, “Nope, I don’t need any help. I just need three hours to prepare it. Dinner will be ready at 6:30. I’m making a dessert too.”

Blair said, “Maybe we’ll do something wild and crazy like watch the news or something.”

Jim smiled. “That sounds good to me. Max, are you sure you have this?”

“Gee, dad, I think I can handle a kindergartner’s homework,” Max said laughing.

“Well, I was just checking to see if you wanted one of us to take over,” Jim said.

“Nope, I have nothing better to do and when she’s all done, we’re going to play some Guitar Hero upstairs, aren’t we Sam?”

“Yes, Max told me if I did a good job, we could play upstairs. I’m doing a very good job,” Sam said with smile on her face.

Jim and Blair sat down in the living room and turned on the news. They realized that CNN was about the only news on at that time. That was until Max yelled out, “Try the Fox network, they have news all day long.”

Jim looked on the guide and sure enough, there was a Fox News Network. So they settled in for watching some of the world news and listening to the kids talk and cook.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim looked around, Max was gone and so was Sam, so he figured it was safe to make out with his hubby on the sofa. He leaned in and started to kiss him.

“Oh no you don’t. We can’t take care of any business after that, so just stop right now.”

Jim looked totally bummed and put his arms across his chest and pouted.

“Jim, you can pout all you want. We’re not making out right now. There is a time and place for everything and right now isn’t one of them.”

“Well, right now, I’m too busy to pout because I just got a wiff of something Drew is baking in the over for dessert. It smells wonderful. Can we at least ask him what it is?” Jim wondered.

Blair called out, “Drew, what are you baking in the oven?”

He came to the dining room and said, “It’s a Caramel German Chocolate Cake. I made it at school the other day and I got the ingredients the last time we were at the store so I could make it for you guys. It’s really good.”

“It smells really good, “Jim said licking his lips.

“You’re not getting any until after dinner,” Drew teased.

“What are we having for dinner, anyhow?” Blair asked.

“Well, if you must know, it’s German Goulash Soup. We also made this in class the other day and it was really good. I figured you would all like it. We have oyster crackers to use with it and everything. So we’re set. Are you getting hungry already?”

“Your pop doesn’t let me eat during the day, so I’m starving,” Jim answered with a laugh as Blair tickled him.

“He knows better then that. He ate something at 1:00, so he’ll be all set for dinner. Don’t you worry, Drew, we’re going to love it.” Blair went back to watching the news and Drew went back into the kitchen.

Jim watched his son with pride. He was such a good kid. He never crossed them. Okay, so he went crazy once and drank just because and almost got into some trouble, but other then that, he was a perfect kid. Jim loved his baking and cooking skills and knew that Blair did too.

Blair looked at Jim and said, “Are you thinking what good kids we have?”

“As a matter of fact I was.”

“We’re really lucky, Jim. Not everyone is as blessed as we are. I can’t believe that someday these kids will be gone. That makes me sad.”

“Want me to sing a silly love song to you?” Jim said hoping to bring the smile back to Blair’s face.

“No, you nut. That would just get my motor running. Don’t you know that by now?” Blair joked.

“I love you, Blair.”

“And I love you, Jim. Thank you for giving me a great life.”

“Back at ya, buddy. I would be alone without your help,” Jim confessed.

They snuggled on the sofa and watched mind numbing commercials and smiled through it all as they listened to Max and Sam playing Guitar Hero and smelling the wonderful smells from the kitchen from Drew.

Life was most excellent.

The end

GERMAN GOULASH SOUP

2 lbs. beef, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 oz. tomato paste
1 tbsp. caraway seed
Beef bouillon
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1/4 to 1/2 c. sour cream
2 med. onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 lg. potatoes, chopped
3 tbsp. paprika
3 cans beef broth (may need more)
1/4 c. flour

Brown onion until transparent. Add beef and brown on all sides. Add garlic, tomato paste and spices. Add broth and simmer 1 to 2 hours. Add peppers and potatoes and simmer 1 more hour. Add sour cream.

Make a paste of flour and broth from soup and dilute slowly to prevent lumps. Add back to soup. Simmer to thicken and let the flavors blend, about 15 to 30 minutes. Makes 6 to 7 quarts.

!!!!!!!!!!

CARAMEL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DESSERT

German chocolate cake mix
30 Kraft Caramels
1 stick butter
1 tbsp. milk
3/4 c. chocolate chips
1 c. nuts

Mix cake mix as directed. Put 1/2 batter in 9″x13″ pan and bake 20 minutes or until done at 350 degrees. Melt caramels with butter and milk. Pour over baked mixture with chocolate chips and nuts. Pour rest of batter over and bake 20 more minutes or until done. Serve with whipped cream.

!!!!!!!!!!

Silly Love Songs
By Paul McCartney

You’d think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
But I look around me and I see it isn’t so.
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.
And what’s wrong with that?
I’d like to know, ’cause here I go again

I love you
I love you
I love you
I love you

I can’t explain the feeling’s plain to me, now can’t you see?
(I love you)
Ah, she gave me more, she gave it all to me, now can’t you see,
(I love you)
What’s wrong with that?
I need to know, ’cause here I go again

I love you
I love you

Love doesn’t come in a minute,
Sometimes it doesn’t come at all
I only know that when I’m in it
It isn’t silly, love isn’t silly, love isn’t silly at all.

How can I tell you about my loved one?
How can I tell you about my loved one?

How can I tell you about my loved one?
(I love you)
How can I tell you about my loved one?
(I love you)

I love you
I love you
I love you

You’d think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
But I look around me and I see it isn’t so. Oh, no
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.
And what’s wrong with that?

Family Life Part 84
A Precious Jewel
By Patt

Word Count: 2,926

Summary: Someone is about to have her baby and life will never be the same.

Notes: One of my best readers pointed out the fact that Connor still hasn’t had her baby yet. DUH. I forgot. Thank you, Kittykat. So without further ado, here you go. 

Jim was at work, the kids were all at school and Blair had just gotten home from teaching his classes. Jim was going to be joining him at noon. Blair was looking forward to just reading a good book he had picked up on anthropology and wanted to just relax.

He hadn’t sat there but ten minutes and there was a pounding on the door. Blair flung the door open to a sobbing Connor.

“Megan, what’s wrong?” Blair asked as he pulled her into the loft.

“I fell down a flight of stairs and my labor just started. It’s too soon. I’m only 7 ½ months. I need to be farther along,” she sobbed out.

“Have you called the doctor?” Blair asked frantically.

“He said to get up to the hospital right away. But I didn’t want to drive myself. Mason is working and I can’t get a hold of him,” Megan was beginning to calm a little bit.

“Come on, I’ll drive you. I want you to call Jim and ask him to find Mason for you. Okay? Just do that right now while I drive,” Blair ordered.

So while Blair drove Megan to the hospital, she called Jim.

“Ellison.”

“Jim, it’s me, Megan. I fell down a flight of stairs and my labor has started. It’s too soon for the baby, but the doctor said for me and Mason to get to the hospital. I can’t get a hold of him and I need him right now. Blair is driving me to Cascade General. But I need Mason.”

“Don’t worry, Megan, I’ll find Mason right away. You just stay calm and breathe like they taught you in those classes,” Jim said.

“Okay, thank you, Jim. I’m going to go now so I don’t cry in your ear,” Megan said before she closed her cell.

For the rest of the drive to the hospital, Blair just gave a soothing talk to Megan so that she could begin to relax. He was actually helping her until they got to the actual hospital.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim told Simon where he was going and like that he was gone to the fourth floor to look for Mason.

Jim walked in and said, “Could you tell me where to find Mason Miller?”

The idiot behind the first desk said, “You can’t just barge into Vice and tell us what you want or need. You don’t belong here, Ellison.”

“I need to find Mason Miller, it’s a matter of life and death,” Jim pleaded with the jerk.

The man listened for a change and said, “He’s in Captain Norris’s office. Down the hall and first door to the left.”

“Thank you,” Jim said before he hurried down the hall to find Mason.

Jim knocked on the door and Captain Norris opened it and said, “What do you want, Ellison.”

Jim found it amazing how they all knew who he was. But why did everyone hate him that much? “Sir, I was looking for Mason Miller. His wife fell down the stairs at home and she started labor and he needs to go to the hospital.”

“Well, it’s just going to have to wait. He’s got an undercover assignment that he was just assigned to. So if you don’t mind,” Captain Norris looked like he was going to shut the door on Jim’s face when the door flew open and Mason said, “Can you drive?”

“Miller, you can’t leave. You have an assignment,” Norris yelled after him.

“Watch me,” Mason said as he hurried down the hall to the elevator with Jim.

They got onto the elevator and Jim said, “She’s fine, Mason, don’t be freaking out on me. She’s in labor, so they’ll probably get that stopped and everything will be fine.”

“What if the baby comes today? Can it make it at this age?” Mason asked.

“My brother was born just before the eight month and he’s all right as you well know. So I would say not to worry. Keep Megan calm and things will be fine.”

They got into Jim’s SUV and drove to the hospital. Mason didn’t say a word, he was praying. Jim could hear him now and then and thought it was one of the sweetest things he had ever heard.

!!!!!!!!!!

Megan was in a bed wearing one of those beautiful hospital gowns when Blair was escorted back into the room.

“How are things going?” Blair asked.

“I’m dilated, so we’re having her today,” Megan said sadly.

“I just talked to Jim and he found Mason. They’re on their way down now. So hold tight, he’ll be here in a moment,” Blair assured her.

“I’m so grateful that I have good friends like you and Jim. You just drop everything and help me. Thank you,” Megan said almost crying.

“Hey, you haven’t said anything about a name yet. Do you have one chosen?” Blair asked.

“Yes, it’s going to be Jade Ellen. Both of our mother’s names are Ellen, so that’s why the Ellen for the middle name. Do you like it?”

“I love the name Jade. She’ll be our own little precious jewel.”

Megan smiled as another pain took over her body. At that moment, Mason walked in and went right to her side. He started rubbing her belly and talking soft soothing words to her and she was calming as Jim and Blair watched.

The pain finally stopped and Jim said, “We’re going to wait in the waiting room.”

Mason said, “You’re more then welcome to stay if you’d like to see a baby being born.”

Jim smiled. “We’ve both delivered babies in the line of duty, so we’ve gotten enough of that, thanks anyhow.”

They walked out and went to the nearest waiting room. Jim listened and he could still hear Megan and the heartbeats, so he was content being right there. He told Blair he could hear them and Blair was instantly calmer.

!!!!!!!!!!

About an hour later, Jim looked over at Blair and said, “They’re taking them into the delivery room. Everything seems to be going as planned. The baby’s heart rate is good. The doctor doesn’t seem upset or worried or anything. So I think they’ll be just fine.”

“I can’t wait for this baby. Do you realize this will be a baby for all of us to help bring up? We can babysit and love her and be uncles. I love this idea,” Blair said.

“What did you say her name was again?” Jim asked.

“Jade Ellen. I like that name. Not only a cool first name, but the middle name is after both mom’s. What more could you ask for, right?” Blair answered.

“I love the name Jade. That’s a very nice name. I’m sure it will fit the little terror that she will be,” Jim teased.

“How are they doing?” Blair asked.

Jim listened for a while and said, “She was just born. She’s doing fine. Breathing well and screaming like crazy. They’re weighing her now and she’s 6 pounds even. The doctor said he would hate to think how large she would have been at full term. She’s still crying and so is Megan. Megan’s are happiness tears, but baby Jade is not happy.”

“These Sentinel senses are so cool. I would have missed out on all of that, until later on. Have I ever told you how much I admire you and your senses?” Blair said.

Jim hugged Blair because the entire room was empty now and he said, “I love you too, you goofball.”

“Babies make me so emotional. I don’t know why,” Blair confessed.

“They’re a new start. We get to watch her grow from the beginning. This is something we weren’t able to do with our three. It’ll be nice having a baby around. We’ll get a portable crib for our room for when she’s over and needs a nap.”

Blair smiled at Jim. Somehow he knew that Jim would be onboard about this. He just wasn’t surprised at Jim’s attitude at all. Jim loved babies. Who would have thought?

“This is going to be fun, right?” Blair asked.

“Oh yeah, and Samantha is going to feel like a big sister, so she’ll love her too,” Jim said.

“I wouldn’t take bets on how Sam feels just yet. She might be jealous of her, you just never know,” Blair said.

“We’ll watch and see how it goes and help her overcome jealousy if she has some. There is no reason to become jealous, it isn’t like Jade is going to be ours,” Jim explained.

“But to a five year old, that probably won’t matter. I wouldn’t be surprised if the boys aren’t a little jealous too. We’ll have to wait and see,” Blair said.

“Why in the world would the boys be jealous of a newborn baby?” Jim asked.

“Maybe they’ll think we wish we had them from birth too. You never know how kids are going to act,” Blair explained.

“We’ll play it by ear,” Jim assured him.

At that moment, Mason came walking into the waiting room and had a huge smile on his face. “Jade is 6 pounds and she’s beautiful. Wait until you see her.”

Jim hugged Mason and then Blair did. Mason hung on to both of them for a little longer then usual. He was very moved by the birth of his first child. “She’s so gorgeous, wait until the kids see her.”

“How long is Megan going to have to stay here?” Blair asked.

Mason smiled. “We get to take Megan and Jade home tomorrow. We can’t wait. Her little room is all done, we’ve kept it a huge secret, but now we can show it off. Megan worked hard on making it look beautiful. It’s perfect for our perfect baby.”

Jim and Blair both smiled at Mason, knowing he was one proud daddy.

“So how long before we can bring the kids over to see Megan, you and Jade?” Jim asked.

“Tomorrow is Saturday, so the kids are home. Bring them over in the morning. It’s not like they’re going to expect Megan to wait on them,” Mason said with a huge smile, still planted on his face.

“They’ll be dying to see Jade, that’s for sure,” Blair replied.

“I better get back to my wife and baby girl. See you tomorrow. Thanks for everything,” Mason yelled over his shoulder as he was leaving.

Blair thought of something and said, “Hey Mason?”

Mason turned and said, “Yeah?”

“Do you need us to call anyone for you?”

“Nope, she has a list made up. I’m going to go pick it up at the house and we’ll make all of the calls tonight. Thanks anyhow. See you tomorrow,” Mason said as he went through the doors.

Jim looked at his watch and saw that the kids would be home. “Let’s get home so we can tell the kiddo’s about Jade.”

“Good idea, babe. I can’t wait to see her tomorrow. I’d stay longer and see her through the glass, but I want to hold her when I see her,” Blair admitted.

“Yeah, me too,” Jim agreed.

They left the hospital in their separate cars and drove home. Jim called Mason once on the way and asked if he needed the SUV to get home. Mason laughed and said, “Oh shit, that’s right, I have no car. Yeah, if I could use yours that would be perfect. I can pick ours up tomorrow afternoon or something.”

Jim called Blair and said, “Come back to the hospital, I have to leave my SUV for Mason. I drove him today.”

“Oh duh. Poor thing would have had to call us tonight. I’ll be right behind ya,” Blair answered.

Jim took his keys up to Connor and Mason and kissed Connor on the cheek and told her congratulations. Then he had to leave because Blair was outside waiting on him.

!!!!!!!!!!

“I thought today was pop and dad’s day off?” Max said.

“It is, something must have come up,” Drew said.

“Can I have a snack, Max?” Sam asked.

“Sure, let’s see what we can find in the kitchen,” Max said as he lead her into the pantry to pick something out.

The door opened and Jim and Blair walked into the loft. “Hi, daddy. Hi, poppy, we were wondering where you were,” Sam called out.

“We have a surprise to tell you. Come in a sit around the table and we’ll tell you the good news,” Jim said happily.

“Well, you don’t look angry, so I guess we’re safe, “Drew admitted.

They all sat down at the table and Blair said, “Guess who had their baby this afternoon?”

“Oh my gosh, Megan had her baby,” Max said joyfully.

“What did she have? She wouldn’t tell us what she was having,” Drew whined.

“She had a baby girl, named Jade Ellen and she weighed six pounds. She’s very small, but supposedly very beautiful. We get to go and see them all tomorrow morning after they get home from the hospital,” Jim said.

Sam jumped up on Jim’s lap and said, “I’m still going to be your baby though, right?”

Drew and Max both laughed, making Sam angry. “Well, I am their baby. They tell me that all the time.”

Jim smiled. “You’ll always be our baby, just like Max and Drew will be our baby boys. You’re our children. Jade is Mason and Megan’s baby girl. Not ours. We just get to hold her, feed her and play with her. The rest is up to Megan and Mason.”

“Okay, good. I just wanted to be sure,” Samantha said as she kissed her daddy’s cheek.

“How do you feel about the new baby, boys?” Blair asked.

“I think it’s cool. It’ll be the first baby in the family, you know? We’ve never been around anyone smaller then Sam. So this might be a lot of fun. Maybe they’ll let me babysit sometimes,” Max said thinking ahead.

“Max, you would have to change diapers,” Drew told him.

“So? It’s not the end of the world, you know? I can’t wait to meet her. Tomorrow is going to take forever to get here,” Max said anxiously.

Blair smiled at both of their sons. “What do you say we all go shopping tonight for presents for Jade and Megan and Mason? They all deserve presents after the day they’ve had.”

“Yay, I love to go shopping,” Sam shouted as she jumped off Jim’s lap.

“We can eat dinner out and then come back to the loft after shopping. Is that all right with you, Jim?”

“Works for me, Blair. I’d like to get some nice gifts for both of the parents. They had an extremely hard day, so they need something nice.”

“Why did they have a hard day?” Sam asked.

Blair explained how Megan fell down the stairs and started her labor too soon. The baby was born prematurely but she was healthy and had good lungs. There was nothing to worry about and he made sure and made them all feel good about this birth.

!!!!!!!!!!

After dinner they went to Babies R Us and bought out the store. They got so many presents it wasn’t even funny. Each of the boys picked out about ten gifts. Samantha picked out about 20. So Jim and Blair still had to pick out something special from just them. When they were done, they had spent 830 bucks. Jim’s mouth fell open at the register. Blair pushed it shut and said, “This is a special day, Jim. It could have been so much worse.”

Jim nodded, paid the bill and they walked out and put everything in the back of the SUV. They had bought gift bags, wrapping paper, scotch tape and everything they would need to make these presents shine.

Blair got into the SUV and said, “Now we’re going to Victoria’s Secret, because they have beautiful robes and gowns for Megan to wear. We’ll see if there are some lounging things for Mason at the same time. But I think we’re going to have to go to a man’s store for that.”

So shopping they did. They found four robes and gown sets from all of them for Megan. Then they found a nice robe, slippers and lounging pants and shirt for Mason. Jim thought that was enough for Mason. After all, he didn’t do the hard part. Blair laughed about that.

!!!!!!!!!!

When they got home they wrapped and bagged everything until the table was full of presents. Jim looked it over and realized they may have overdone it a little bit. But he didn’t care. They were good friends and they deserved special treatment.

Once they were done, everyone got ready for bed so they could get up and go and see Jade first thing when Megan got home.

The kids were very excited and had a hard time settling down. Jim and Blair relaxed about how they were going to handle the baby, because they were all thrilled. Things would work out just fine.

Now poor Megan and Mason just had to find room for all of this baby stuff.

The end

Family Life Part 85
Proud Mummy
By Patt

Word Count: 3,747

Summary: How happy will Megan and Mason be to show off their precious jewel, Jade? Really happy, I would guess. But there are some problems ahead.

Notes: I wanted to pick up where I left off with Captain Norris being a shit-head to Mason when he needed to be with Megan at the hospital. Captain Norris is going to make some problems for Mason, but Simon will help out as usual and come to the rescue. That man needs a cape. 

!!!!!!!!!!

Mason helped Megan get inside the loft with great care. She was pretty sore. Mason was carrying Jade in her car seat and once they were inside, Mason felt like he could breathe right again. He was so glad to get out of the hospital, it wasn’t even funny. His wife looked gorgeous for just giving birth to their baby girl. And speaking of the little girl, she was precious. He walked into the nursery and smiled at all of the hard work that Megan had done to make the room perfect. He had went last night to Kinko’s and got a picture of Jade blown up for the wall. They had a pink frame and he put the picture inside it and put it up before he went to pick them up that morning. The room was darling.

[[[jadesroom.jpg]]]

Mason put the car seat in the crib and just left Jade in it for the time being. She looked very comfortable and didn’t want to upset her by moving her. Besides he thought that Megan could use a little nap.

He walked out into the living room and said, “Come on, you’re going to have a quick nap before everyone starts coming over to see you and Jade. Come on.”

Megan followed her husband, because honestly she was exhausted. She had to wake up and feed Jade about six times during the night. The doctor said she wasn’t breast feeding well and that they might have to pump her breasts and use a bottle. Megan was very depressed over that. She had looked so forward to breastfeeding, because everyone said how you connect with your child. It’s the ultimate bonding experience. Now she was going to miss out on that. She got the breast pump out and began to pump her breast. That helped quite a bit. She had tons of milk. She filled up two bottles and Mason put them in the fridge.

Mason helped her lie down on the bed and said, “You just take it easy, if Jade wakes up, can I feed her?”

“Why not, I can’t breast feed,” Megan sounded totally defeated.

“Do you think I’ll be less bonded with her because I don’t have breasts?” Mason asked.

“Of course not, you’re her daddy. She’ll always know that,” Megan answered.

“And she’ll always know that you’re her mummy. Stop worrying about the breast feeding and worry about how spoiled this darling is going to be when everyone starts coming over,” Mason teased.

“Oh don’t you know it? I know that Jim and Blair have probably already went shopping. They’re such over achievers,” Megan joked back.

“Now rest up young lady. You have a lot to look forward to today,” Mason ordered as he pulled the blanket up over Megan. She was asleep within minutes. Mason just smiled as he walked out of the room.

Mason got downstairs and picked up the house so that everything looked in order in case someone came earlier then they had asked them to come. Then he went in to stare at his little angel. She was so beautiful. Mason was so pleased, he could hardly stand it. His parents were flying in to see her in two weeks and Mason was really looking forward to it. His mom was so pleased that they had used Ellen as the middle name. Everyone seemed to like the name they chose, so far. Mason was very happy and content.

He walked into the kitchen to get a drink and his cell phone went off. He answered it hurriedly so it didn’t wake Megan up and said, “Miller.”

“Detective Miller, I expect you to be in my office first thing this morning. So get your ass in here,” Captain Norris shouted over the phone line.

“Sir, we just had a baby last night and I’m not going anywhere. My wife needs me right now and I’ll be in on Monday if she’s doing all right,” Mason countered.

“You don’t tell me when you’re coming in, Miller. You’ll be here this morning, or you won’t have a job any longer,” Captain Norris continued to shout.

Mason did something he had only dreamed about doing and he closed his cell phone, disconnecting Captain Norris and himself. He felt like a weight was lifted. What an asshole.

Mason dialed Simon’s number and waited for him to answer, “Banks.”

“Simon, this is Mason, I was wondering if you know of any job openings at the station. Anything would be better then Vice. I just got fired for not coming to work today. I can’t leave Megan, she’s too weak yet. That fall yesterday did her in and having a baby didn’t help much. Captain Norris said I either show up this morning or I have no job anymore. So I need to find something and fast. I have a baby to take care of too.”

“Let me put out the word and we’ll see who calls me back. I’ll call you later if I have news before we come to see Miss Jade.”

“Thank you, Simon. You’re the best,” Mason said happily.

“We’ll see you later, son.” Simon got off the phone and began making his phone calls as promised.

Mason walked back into the baby’s room and watched her sleep some more. He found he could do that for a long while if he needed to.

!!!!!!!!!!

Simon called Joel and said, “Joel, do you need any help in your department? Mason Miller just got fired for taking a day off for having a baby.”

“You know, I could use someone to work with me. He could be my lead detective in our department. Not that I’d be his main boss, you would, but that sounds good to me. I was just telling everyone the other day that I needed some help with the cases I have,” Joel admitted.

“He’s hired. We’ll tell him this afternoon when we go visit them to see little Jade,” Simon said.

“Okay, we’re going about 4:00. What time are you going?” Joel asked.

“I was thinking about taking them lunch at noon. I would call and tell them first so they didn’t eat before we got there. But Rafe and I can pick up sandwiches and drinks. I thought that would help Connor out a little bit.”

“Good idea, boss. Then you can tell him that he can start on Monday if that’s good for him,” Joel said.

“Works for me, Joel. Talk to you later,” Simon said before he hung up the phone. He was glad that was all taken care of. Then he realized that Mason was probably worried about not having a job, so he called his cell phone number and heard Mason at once, “Miller.”

“Hey Mason, just wanted to let you know that you need to be in Joel’s office on Monday to fill out paperwork and we’ll get you all squared away. You’re going to be his new partner. You can have the same days off as Connor or you can take different ones to share baby duty when she comes back,” Simon suggested.

“You have no idea how great this makes me feel. Thank you, Simon. You know all you need is a cape and you could be superman,” Mason teased.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. The next thing you know, you’d want me wearing tights to work. Not happening,” Simon kidded back. “Oh before I forget, Rafe and I are bringing lunch at noon. So don’t feed her, she can wait until we get there with sandwiches. Is that all right with you?”

“That would be fine with me, Simon. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful.”

“See you at noon. Tell Miss Jade I can’t wait to meet her,” Simon hung up his phone and smiled.

Simon could remember how excited he was when Daryl was born. No one could have ruined that day for him. He was glad that he could help Mason out so that his day wasn’t ruined. Simon decided he would go down to the station and put in for a transfer for Mason, first thing.

!!!!!!!!!!

“We have to wait until 2:00 to see Jade?” Samantha asked unhappily.

“Yes, Megan needs to rest a little while. She just had that baby, so she needs to sleep some and so does the baby,” Blair explained.

“How did they get that baby out?” Sam wondered.

“We’ll discuss that later. Not today,” Jim said very quickly. Max and Drew both laughed out loud.

“Keep it up funny boys and I’ll make you tell her where that baby came out of,” Jim whispered to the boys.

They both stopped laughing immediately. Five year olds were such a pain sometimes.

They all had their presents sitting by the front door and ready to go. No one was excited at the Sandburg-Ellison household.

Jim was in the kitchen when his cell went off. He answered, “Ellison.”

“Jim, this is Mason. I wanted to tell you that I got fired today from Norris, but Simon got me a job with Joel. I’m going to be Joel’s new partner. Isn’t that great? So I don’t have to go to another station house. I was super excited and needed to tell someone. Megan’s still sleeping and you can only tell so much to a sleeping baby.”

Jim smiled. “I’m glad that it all worked out. Norris is an asshole. You’ll be much happier in our department, I promise. Is Megan feeling all right?”

“She’s tired as she should be. That was hard work getting that baby out in one piece. Plus it didn’t help her falling down the flight of stairs yesterday. She’s really sore from that. You should see how black and blue she is,” Mason stated.

“You know, we got her some lounging things to wear, should I bring them up now so she can wear them when everyone comes to visit?” Jim asked.

“That would be great. She would be so happy to have something in a smaller size. Her belly is already down quite a bit. So she’ll be excited to wear something new. Bring it up,” Mason said.

“I’ll be there in a moment,” Jim said before he closed his cell phone.

“Where will you be in a moment?” Blair asked.

“Connor doesn’t have anything new to wear for all of us, so I’m taking her presents up now. That way she can shower and change into something nice before everyone gets there.” Jim smiled, hoping that would make his case.

“Go ahead, but do it quietly, because if Sam finds out that you saw the baby before her, she’s going to be upset,” Blair reminded him.

“Okay, I’ll be right back. Bye,” Jim said softly before he walked out the front door carrying all of the packages for Megan and Mason.

Sam came walking out and said, “Where’s daddy?”

“He went for a small walk. He’ll be back by two for when we’re leaving,” Blair answered.

“Well, maybe I wanted to walk with him too?”

“Sam, you don’t always get what you want. So let’s go in your room and play a game until he comes back,” Blair suggested.

“Oh goody. Can we play Chutes and Ladders?”

“Sure,” Blair answered not so happily. He hated this game. He thought it was stupid, but Sam loved it.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim knocked on the door quietly and Mason opened it just as quietly. “You know, I don’t think we have to tip toe around, but I’m trying to let her sleep some before the baby wakes up. She’s been sleeping for over two hours now, so she might be rested. You want me to wake her up?”

“What are you, nuts? Let her sleep until she wants to get up. Now here are all the packages for you and Megan. Open them at your leisure, but I wanted her to have something new to wear. Blair picked out this gorgeous red lounge set and he said she would look hot in it,” Jim said with a smile on his face.

“I don’t think she cares about looking hot right now. That’s the last thing on her mind. Do you want to see Jade?”

“I would love to, but I would never hear the end of it from Sam. She’s dying to get here at two o’clock. That’s all she’s talked about all day long. She’s driving us nuts,” Jim confessed.

“Oh look, it just gives me something to look forward to,” Mason teased.

“Talk to you at two. Take care of Megan and Jade for us,” Jim said as he walked out the door.

Megan walked down the stairs and said, “Was that Jimbo?”

“He hates when you call him Jimbo.”

“I know, but I know he can still hear me, so I was trying to make his day,” Megan teased. “Oh prezzies, who are they for?”

“For me and you. From the Sandburg-Ellison’s. They thought you might like this new red outfit to wear today when everyone comes over,” Mason said.

She started tearing into the packages and found the red one right off. “Oh I love it. I’m going to wear it today. Let me jump in the shower, if Jade wakes up just keep her busy until I get out. Okay?”

Mason was shocked at how much better she looked after that nap. She had been exhausted and needed that rest. “Don’t worry about Jade. I’m keeping her busy. I’m telling her stories about me and you and how we met.”

“Oh Mason, don’t tell her those stories, she’s know I’m a slut,” Megan said laughing.

“But you are my slut, my dear,” Mason said as he pulled her in for a kiss.

“You do know that there is no sex for awhile, right?”

“Yeah, why? Why are you asking that? I can’t hug my wife if I want to?”

“Hug away, big man. I love you so much. Thank you for this lovely baby. She’s so precious. Wait until she sleeps better. Then she’ll really be cute,” Megan said.

“Go and take your shower and put that red outfit on. I can’t wait to see how you look in it,” Mason admitted.

“I’m still fat. The doctor said that will come off slowly, but in time,” Megan said disgustedly.

“Once you’re up to it, we’ll walk every night with the baby and everything will be fine, babe. Now go and enjoy your shower,” Mason ordered.

She glanced into the bedroom to see Jade first and saw the blown up picture on the wall in the frame and got tears in her eyes. “My god, when did you do this?”

“Last night in the middle of the night. Kinko’s is open all night long on 22nd street. So I got it done and got the frame out that we had chosen already. It looks good doesn’t it?”

She kissed him and walked into the bathroom. Mason knew she was very moved by it and had to go have a little cry by herself.

!!!!!!!!!!

Rafe and Simon picked up lunch stuff and showed up at exactly noon. Simon knocked on the door and Megan answered in her new red lounging set. Simon was speechless. “Wow, you look terrific. You’ve already lost a bunch of weight haven’t you?”

“You are such a nice man, Simon. Thank you. I have so much to lose it isn’t even funny. But I don’t mind because she’s worth it. She’s so cute. Come and see her,” Megan led the way. Simon dropped all of the lunch stuff on the kitchen bar and walked into the nursery with everyone else. Mason was holding Jade and rocking her.

“She just ate, so I was burping her and rocking her at the same time. She’s quite the little eater, isn’t she mummy”?

“Mummy?” Simon asked.

“That’s what I called my mum, so that’s what Jade is going to call me too. I hope people don’t think it’s too weird,” Megan said.

“Too bad if they do,” Rafe answered.

Megan liked that answer. She smiled and lifted Jade up and gave her to Uncle Simon first. Simon held her for about ten minutes while they talked about Mason’s new job and then it was Rafe’s turn. He held her so sweetly that Megan was surprised. He never seemed like a baby person, but he was. Finally Mason said, “How about we lay her down in her crib so we can have some lunch?”

So Rafe lowered her into the crib and made sure she was on her side. “This is the way she should be laying, right?”

“I think so. They keep changing their minds, because they don’t know what causes crib death, so they try everything. We’ll keep her like that and she’ll be just fine, Rafe. Don’t worry so much,” Megan said as she led everyone out of the room.

They all sat down at the table and Mason got everyone something to drink. Megan was starving, and ate like she hadn’t seen food in a week.

They knew it wouldn’t be long and everyone else would be there to see little Jade. Simon and Rafe helped clean up the dining area and the kitchen and got the house ready for more guests.

!!!!!!!!!!

“It’s two, daddy, we get to go now,” Sam shouted.

“We aren’t going to shout over at Auntie Megan’s are we?” Jim asked.

“Oh no, I wouldn’t want to scare baby Jade. She would cry and cry for her mummy,” Sam replied.

“Her mummy?”

“Yes, Auntie Megan said that Jade will call her mummy instead of mommy, because that’s what they do in Australia. She wants her to call her mummy. Sort of like I call poppy, poppy.”

They all smiled as they grabbed the gifts and walked over to Megan and Mason’s loft. They were so excited about seeing baby Jade, they could hardly stand it. And it wasn’t just Sam.

Blair whispered, “So is she darling?”

“I haven’t seen her yet, Chief.”

“You waited for us to see her too? You are the sweetest man I know.”

“Thank you, Chief.”

Sam knocked on the door when they arrived and Megan opened it up and said, “Why if it isn’t the Sandburg-Ellison’s. Come on in.”

They all walked in trying to hold the presents in both hands at the same time.

“Oh please, tell me these aren’t all presents for Jade?” Mason said rolling his eyes.

There was a big pile of gifts on the sofa and Jim said, “Someone was already here?”

“Yeah, Rafe and Simon. They just left. They didn’t want to tire Jade or Megan out. They brought lunch and left. It was a nice visit,” Mason answered.

“I thought they had brought a lot of gifts, now I see that there are more from all of you,” Megan said smiling. “Thank you, all of you.”

“Can we see the baby now?” Sam asked outright. “I washed my hands before I came over so I could touch her cheek.”

“Oh that’s nice, Sam. Thank you,” Megan answered.

Mason went into the bedroom and got Jade and brought her out.

“Oh my gosh, look how tiny she is,” Max said walking over and making faces at the baby who was now awake.

“Can we hold her?” Drew asked.

Mason said, “Sit down on the love seat and I’ll let you both have a turn. How does that sound?”

Both of the boys went over and sat down. Mason handed Jade to Max first and Max loved on her for about five minutes and then Mason gave her to Drew. Sam watched and said, “It’s no fair that I can’t hold her.”

“Sam, you can hold her another time when she’s older. She has to let her neck get stronger before you can hold her. The boys are older, so they know how to hold her and everything. It won’t be that long and you’ll be able to hold her too,” Megan assured her.

“Okay, then.” Sam was satisfied with that answer which pleased Jim and Blair to no end.

Mason gave Jade to Jim and said, “Sam, come with me really quickly.”

She rushed into the office with Mason and said, “What?”

“I’ve got a picture of Jade all ready to print out, but wouldn’t it be nice if she could have her big cousin in the picture too?” Mason asked.

“How can you do that?” Sam asked.

“I’m going to take a picture of you and then put it on top of the one I have of Jade and I’ll print them out for all of us. How does that sound?”

“That sounds like fun, Uncle Mason. Thank you,” Sam replied.

Mason took a few shots, but Sam was trying too hard, so he finally settled on one and made up the picture like he wanted it and said, “Here it is. See how cute this is?”

Sam looked on the computer and saw the picture and said, “I love it. I love baby Jade.”

“She’s lucky to have a big cousin like you, Max and Drew so that she’ll always have someone looking out for her,” Mason remarked.

Mason printed out some of the pictures and Sam went rushing into the living room to show everyone the picture.

[[[samjade.jpg]]]

Blair and Jim looked at the picture and smiled. It was so thoughtful of Mason to do that for her. She wasn’t feeling left out at all. She felt like a true cousin. They couldn’t have been more proud of their friends.

Megan yawned and so did baby Jade, so Jim said, “Okay, we can come look at Jade some more tomorrow. Let’s let mummy have some rest and baby too.”

They all left giving hugs and kisses to Megan and Mason. Mason felt so good having them as friends. They truly were family.

The end

Family Life Part 86
We Give Thanks
By Patt

Word Count: 3443

Summary: William is having the Thanksgiving get-together this year and Jim and Blair are glad. Too many people for the loft. There will be singing and Jim’s secret will come out. 

William called Jim’s house to speak with either Jim or Blair. Jim answered, “Ellison.”

“Hi Jim, its dad. I wondered if we could do Thanksgiving at our condo this year. We have double the square footage. Sarah wants to invite all of you of course, Simon, Rafe and Daryl and Megan, Mason and Jade. What do you think?” William asked.

“I think it would be great, because you have a dining room and a kitchen with a table, we don’t. So we don’t really have enough room for all of the kids and the parents too. This would be great. But I don’t know if Simon already has plans or if Mason and Megan have plans. You would have to call them. Plus we would like to invite Joel and Marie and also Henri Brown, if that’s alright with you,” Jim suggested.

“Can I get all of their numbers from you? I want to get them invited before anyone else has a chance. I figure three weeks notice is pretty good.” William waited patiently as Jim looked up the numbers.

“Here you go, dad. Got a pencil handy?”

“I was born ready, Jim. Now shoot,” William said and started writing down all of the numbers as soon as Jim started rattling them off. When Jim was done, William said, “Talk to you later, son. I have work to do.”

“Bye, dad.” Jim hung up the phone and smiled. He couldn’t believe this man was his dad. He had changed so much since he found out about Blair and Jim being together. Then he just kept getting nicer when the kids came along and now that he had Sarah and her children, he was like a new man. Jim liked to think that his dad looked at it as his second chance. And as far as Jim was concerned, everyone deserved a second chance.

Jim found Blair upstairs putting clothes away and he said, “Guess what?”

“You’re pregnant?”

“Very funny, smart ass. Now I’m not going to tell you my secret.” Jim said kiddingly.

“All right, I overheard you talking to your dad, so I already knew the answer. But I wanted to say that you were pregnant instead.”

“You are weird, Sandburg.”

“Yes, but that’s part of the reason you love me, am I right?” Blair stood on his tip toes and kissed Jim with longing.

“Hey, we got little ones around here somewhere. Don’t start something you can’t finish,” Jim ordered.

“I’ll take care of that,” Blair said as he walked down the stairs, followed by Jim.

“Max, Drew and Samantha, will you come out here please?” Blair called out.

Max and Drew came right down as soon as they had heard their names. Sam was a little slower.

“What’s up, pop?” Max asked.

“First of all, I wanted to let you all know that we’re having Thanksgiving dinner over at grampa Ellison’s house. So we’re each going to think of something that we can bring to help out. So start thinking about what you like to make the most. Secondly, I wanted to know if you boys would like to take Sam to see Alpha and Omega at the theater? It’s almost time for it to leave, so I wanted her to see it before the time was gone. What do you think?” Blair asked.

“Sure, we’ll take the little kidlet to the theater. We wouldn’t mind seeing it ourselves. And then we might see previews for Tangled. I thought it would be nice if Mark, Mike and Mary went on Thanksgiving day to see it with us. That way you’ll have a little adult time to yourself. The critics are saying Tangled is really good. And you know who is doing the voice, don’t you? It’s the guy that play’s Chuck on tv,” Max said.

“I didn’t know that the new movie would be out on Thnaksgiving and I think that’s a good idea, Max. What do you think, Jim?” Blair asked.

“I think we better wait and see what Sarah and grampa have planned for the day. We don’t want to take away from their family time. So let’s talk to grampa about it this week,” Jim said.

Drew said, “Why don’t you two go to a movie while we go?”

“I know it doesn’t sound too exciting, but I need to finish laundry and your dad has to finish some paperwork. No rest for the wicked,” Blair said.

“Let me go up and see what time the movie starts. Do you want us to ask Mark, Mike and Mary to go along, Sam?” Drew asked.

“No, I just want to go with you and Max. Is that alright?” Sam asked hopefully.

“That’s more then alright, Sam. We love spending Sam time with you,” Max said as he hugged her tight.

She smiled and said, “We have some theater candy in the pantry. Maybe we could take that with us,” Sam suggested.

“Let’s go see what’s in there, little missy,” Max said as they walked into the kitchen.

Jim looked over at Blair and said, “Man, you are good.”

“No, you’re supposed to wait until we do something to say that,” Blair teased.

Jim kissed him and whispered, “Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll be saying it plenty.”

Drew came down and said, “The movie starts in about 30 minutes, so we better go. Where are they?”

“In the pantry. Go see what sort of candy you want to take,” Blair said.

At that moment, Max and Sam walked out carrying all sorts of candy.

Jim said, “They won’t let you in like that, kids.”

“I know that, dad. We put it inside our jackets. They charge way too much money for these things at the theater. I would gladly buy it from them, if they were more reasonable,” Max explained.

Jim just rolled his eyes and tried to pretend his kids weren’t cheaters.

They got their jackets, Jim gave them money and they were out the door.”

Blair barely waited from them to pull out of the parking lot when he turned and rushed into Jim’s arms.

“I think we should wait a little while in case something would happen and they come home early,” Jim advised.

“Get your ass upstairs. Now.”

Jim smiled. He could do nothing but follow orders sometimes. He walked up the stairs as quickly as he could with a yapping Blair behind him. Sometimes Jim felt like Blair was a yapping dog. These were one of the times.

Blair put music on and started stripped in time to the music. Jim was totally on board by this time and was stripped and naked on the bed waiting for Blair.

Blair attacked him quickly and briskly. Blair didn’t usually like to hurry things when it came to sex, but he loved fucking Jim and he knew there might be a chance of the kids coming back home. So he was going to get his baby’s ass, one way or the other.

&&&&&&&&&&

When the kids got home, the laundry was all done and Jim was working on some paperwork. The boys looked at each and just smiled. They knew that their dad’s were up to no good.

&&&&&&&&&&

On Thanksgiving day, Samantha was trying to figure out what to wear when Blair finally came in and said, “Why don’t you call Mary and see what she’s wearing and that way you’ll know what to wear yourself.”

“Oh good idea, poppy. I’m going to call her now.” Sam went to the phone and called and found out exactly what she needed to and ran back into the bedroom. Blair knocked on the door and she said, “I’m getting dressed.”

Blair and Jim had noticed that she had become modest lately and they found that so endearing. “Just tell me when I can come in.”

“You can come in now poppy, I’m just putting my shoes on,” Sam said smiling.

Blair looked at her clothing and smiled. She had on, jeans and a tee shirt. Good, that meant things were going to be laid back and relaxed at Williams house.

“It’s almost time to go, sweetie,” Blair said.

“Goody, I can’t wait to get there. Grampa said we get to go to the movie, and the boys don’t mind taking us. Me and Mary want to see it bad. But he also said there is a Karaoke machine there for music and singing. So we have to decide.”

“That’s good, I’m glad you’re going to have a good time. But remember that it’s a day to be thankful for good friends, good family and good food. So we have to keep that in mind too. Understood?”

“I understand, poppy. I am thankful for all of you. I love you and daddy and Max and Drew and grampa and gramma sarah and Mark and Mike and Mary and anyone else that comes over today,” she rambled happily.

Blair just hugged her and said, “I love you, princess.”

“I love you more, poppy.”

They walked out and the boys were all ready to go. Jim was upstairs so Blair went up to see if he could help get him moving.

Jim was sitting at the end of the bed with his face in his hands. Blair walked over and sat down next to him and said, “What’s the matter, Jim?”

“I’m so happy that I feel like crying sometimes. I know it sounds weird, but we have the best family and friends anyone could have. I’m just so damned happy,” Jim rattled on.

Blair hugged him and said, “I love you, too, Jim.”

“Are you all ready to go?” Jim asked.

“We’re just waiting on you, slowpoke,” Blair teased.

They walked down the stairs, joined the kids and then left the loft and all got into the SUV and drove over to William’s house.

&&&&&&&&&&

At William’s house everyone was arriving at the same time. When Jim and Blair drove up, Simon, Rafe and Daryl were getting out of the car. Across the street, Megan, Mason and baby Jade were arriving. Jim had that overwhelming feeling again, but this time he just rode with it.

They got inside the house and everyone was talking and laughing and there was so much noise that Jim felt a little overwhelmed with his senses. Max came up to him and said, “Dad, why not come with us for a few minutes. It’ll give you time to adjust to the sounds and sights around here. We’re going to sing karaoke in the den. I thought you would be perfect for starting it off. Please?”

“Sure, why not?” Jim followed all of the kids into the den and they were all sitting down. Jim picked out a song and stood there with the microphone and readied himself to sing to all of the kids. Little did he know that in the doorway, was Simon, Rafe, Megan, Mason and William. He just wasn’t paying attention to anything but the kids.

He chose Sweet Dreams by Annie Lennox and started singing as soon as it told him to. He was hitting all of the notes exactly as he should have been and the kids were clapping and cheering like mad. When he was done, they all said, “More.”

Jim said, “One more, and then I have to go out and fight the crowd.” He smiled as he looked through the book and found a perfect song. He could hear that Blair was nearby, so he would be able to hear it. Jim picked ‘Imagine’ by John Lennon because it was one of Blair’s favorite songs.

When the music started and it told him to sing, he did. He gave it his all and the kids were so taken in with that song that they didn’t’ even cheer or clap this time. A couple of them had tears in their eyes. Jim understood that because it was a very moving song. When he was done, he turned and Blair was there to take him in his arms.

“Thank you, babe.”

“You are most welcome. I knew you would hear it,” Jim said.

“Babe, I don’t know how to tell you this, but everyone heard it. They have a system set out in the living room so whoever is singing can be heard by the entire house. Everyone knows you can sing now.”

“Well, it was bound to happen. It’s not like I have the plague or something,” Jim teased.

“Come on, let the kids do this and let’s go help your dad and Sarah.”

They walked out of the den and the kids cheered for Jim and said, “Come back after dinner. We want more.”

Jim just blushed and walked out of the room. Blair turned to them and said, “He’ll be back.”

Jim walked up to Megan and grabbed Jade first thing. Jade was getting so big. He couldn’t believe how much she had grown for only being three weeks old. “How is my little Jadey?”

“Jimbo, don’t call her Jadey,” Megan said and then laughed when she realized how stupid it sounded. “Nevermind.”

Blair walked up and took her from Jim and said, “Oh my gosh, she’s huge.”

Mason had an odd look on his face and said, “You think she’s overly big for three weeks?”

Megan smacked Mason and said, “It’s just a saying. He means she’s grown. That’s all. She isn’t going to be a giant or anything.”

“Oh thank God for that,” Mason said leaning down to kiss his little girl. He then picked up Sam as she walked by and said, “How is our Sam today?”

“I’m singing, I can’t be out here,” Sam said as she squirmed out of his arms. They all laughed as she took off running for the den.

“Speaking of singing, Jim, that was one hell of a rendition of ‘Imagine’ you sang,” Megan said.

Simon walked up to them and said, “You’re going to be our winning star next year for the talent contest. I don’t want to hear a word about it.”

Rafe said, “We could do a duet, Jim. I love to sing.”

“You do?” Jim asked.

“Oh yeah, I sing in the shower every chance I get. But never in front of anyone because they might tease me. I’m not quite as brave as you,” Rafe said.

“It was for the kids and I can never say no to kids,” Jim admitted.

William said, “We could use some help with setting the table and getting things ready for dinner.”

They all rushed into the kitchen to help. Megan laid Jade in her little crib they brought with them and she went right to sleep. So Megan even got to help with things. Sarah seemed a little stressed but once everyone started helping her, she did much better.

They had three tables set up. The huge dining room table and two tables for the kids in the kitchen. Jim, Blair and Mason were in charge of putting everything on those tables that needed to be there.

“Jim, could you help me for a moment?” William asked.

“Sure, dad, what do you need?” Jim asked.

“My back is acting up a little. Could you take the turkeys out of the oven’s? I need to start carving them don’t you think?” William asked.

“Let’s wait until we have everyone at the tables and then say grace and then we can carve. You carve one and I’ll carve the other. Or better yet, Steven can carve yours. You just sit and relax.”

Jim called Steven into the kitchen and the two of them got the turkey’s out and put them on the table. Jim went and got all of the kids and told them they needed to wash up for dinner. It was like a stampede. Jim feared for his life.

The kids all came out and stood around the big table and said grace with the adults and then scurried off to the kitchen to get their plates. They came back two at a time to fill their plates. Jim figured it was Daryl’s idea, because the rest of them would have just rushed out and got their plates filled. Two by two, they all got their food and were settled in the kitchen. Jim got their drinks and Blair brought them their biscuits, already buttered. The kids were talking and eating and having a wonderful time.

Jim and Blair joined the other adults in the other room and Jim said, “Why isn’t Daryl with us? He’s too old to be sitting in with the kids, don’t you think?”

Simon smiled. “I thought so too, Jim, but he said he wanted to sit with Max and Drew and Mike and Mark. So, I let him.”

They all passed the food around three or four times and everyone just kept eating. Jim finally pushed back from the table and said, “Enough. Someone has to stop me.”

William laughed and said, “When Jim and Steven were little they would eat until they got sick. I guess nothing has changed with Jim.”

Once dinner was done they all went one by one and told everyone what they liked about Thanksgiving the most. The children got to come out for that part too. Sam said, “I love Thanksgiving because we get to go to grampa’s and make a mess and I don’t have to clean it up. I love the holidays.”

Everyone laughed and Jim said, “You have to help clean up here.”

“Really? Bummer,” Sam said as she walked back into the kitchen with everyone laughing.

They all finished in the kitchen and put their plates on the counter and Max asked Jim, “Can we go and sing more in the den?”

“Sure, go ahead. I think there are enough adults to clean up the mess that we all made. Make sure that everyone gets to sing, Max.”

“Yes, dad.”

&&&&&&&&&&

After the clean-up, they all sat in the living room and could hear the kids singing and laughing. It was the end to a perfect day.

William talked and laughed with everyone and Jim could tell his dad was tired. “Dad, why don’t you take a nap.”

“Jim, I don’t need a nap. I just need to be younger again,” William said sadly.

“Dad, next year it’s going to be at my house. We’ll take turns.” Jim said.

“How about if you do Christmas and we do Thanksgiving?” William asked. Jim looked over at Blair with a question in his eyes and Blair nodded yes.

“That’s good with Blair, dad. Don’t worry about a thing and you know what, I think the kids are wearing out. They aren’t even singing anymore. It’s time for us to go. Little Jade is looking like she’d like to be in her own bed and I know I would like to be,” Jim said smiling.

Blair smiled and went to gather up the kids. They all came out and made noises about everyone leaving. Jim said, “Why don’t Mark, Mike and Mary come over to our house to hang out for tomorrow and Saturday? They could go to see that new movie that started today, Tangled or whatever.”

Sarah smiled and said, “Oh that would be so nice, Jim. Thank you.”

The kids were all jumping up and down with happiness. They loved going over to Jim and Blair’s and they loved going to the movies.

Jim said, “Run upstairs and pack a bag for two days. Sleep clothes and knock around clothes. Don’t forget toothbrushes and toothpaste. Do you need help?”

“Geeze, Jim, we’re not babies,” Mike said grumbling as he headed up the stairs.

Mary said, “I would let you help me, Jim.”

“Okay, let’s get busy,” Jim said as they walked up the stairs.

Everyone got ready to go while Jim was upstairs so that when he came down, everyone was standing waiting to say goodbye to him.

There were hugs and kisses all around and everyone said what a wonderful time they had had. Jim got all of the kids into the SUV and then hugged his dad and Sarah and they readied to go.

All the way home from William’s the kids asked Jim to sing to them. And he did. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and Blair was indeed thankful.

The end.

Family Life Part 87
Fairy Life
By Patt

Word Count: 2399

Summary: Why is Samantha spending so much time by herself these days? Jim will have to listen and find out.

Notes: I wanted to thank Helena for the idea for last week’s story. I’m so rude, I forgot to thank her. So without further ado, ‘thank you, Helena, I couldn’t have done it without you’.

Jim walked in and knew something was wrong, immediately. Blair was standing there waiting for him and Jim just knew it wasn’t going to be good news.

“I need your help, babe,” Blair started.

“With what?” Jim asked.

“Something is going on with Sam and she won’t let us in on it. So I need you to listen and tell me what you hear from her room,” Blair explained.

“Blair, she’s five. She’s probably playing.”

“Jim, she doesn’t want to do anything with Max and Drew and I asked her if she’d like to go see a movie tonight and she said no. Something is up and I need to find out what,” Blair said.

Jim smiled. “Can I at least take my jacket off and my shoes off before you put me to work?”

“Sorry, man. Here let me hang up your jacket. You get your shoes off.”

Jim took his shoes off and went over to the sofa and sat down. Blair followed him and said, “What are you doing? I need you to listen to Sam.”

“Blair, I can hear her from here. Now if you’ll be quiet, I can tell you exactly what she’s doing in there.”

Blair sat down next to Jim and put a hand over his mouth. He was going to be quiet if it killed him.

Jim listened, smiled and listened some more. He never looked upset once, so
Blair was thinking that maybe things weren’t too bad. He turned to Blair after about ten minutes and said, “She’s having a discussion in her room with someone call Belle. I think it’s short for Tinkerbelle. She asking her how long it will be before she is small enough to fit into the cute little costumes they wear. And then she asked someone named Blue how long before they were going to teach her to fly. Next was someone named Red and Sam asked her how wiggle her wings, she needed to practice. And last but not least, there is someone named Mia that seems to be in charge of a lot of things. She asked Mia how much longer she would be able to live with us before we found out she was a fairy.”

Blair burst out laughing and said, “Oh my God, is that the cutest thing in the world? Thank you, Jim. I was so worried that it was something horrible. Come to find out, she just wants to become a fairy. Should we talk to her about that or what?”

“I think we should leave her be until she comes to us about a problem. One of these days she’s going to figure out that she’s not getting smaller, she’s getting bigger. Let’s let her ask the questions, not us.”

Blair leaned into Jim and kissed him and said, “I need to tell Max and Drew what’s going on. They’ve been worried about her too.”

“Just tell them not to ruin her fun for right now. That will be gone in time and Sam needs to have these memories.”

“I’m going upstairs to talk to the boys. Why don’t you go check on Sam?” Blair asked.

&&&&&&&&&&

While Blair went upstairs to talk to the boys, Jim went to Sam’s room and knocked on the door.

“Just a minute,” Sam called out. Then she whispered, “It’s probably my daddy coming to say hi to me. You better hide in the closet so he won’t make you leave.”

She opened the door a crack and said, “Hi daddy. Did you have a good day?”

“Could I come in for a little bit?” Jim asked.

“Just for a few minutes. I’m busy reading,” Sam answered.

Jim walked in and sat on her bed. “So how was school today, sweetie?”

“It was all right. The teacher yelled at me,” Sam tattled.

“She yelled at you?” Jim asked.

“She said I wasn’t paying attention and I needed to pay attention to her and what we were doing,” Sam explained.

“She’s right, Sam. You need to leave certain things for the evening. Like if you needed to talk to a friend, you do it after school, not during school.”

“Okay, daddy. I promise I’ll do that from now on. Was the drive home nice tonight?” Sam asked.

“Actually, I kept saying, I wish I could fly. I wish I could fly. It would have been quicker and so much nicer,” Jim said sweetly.

“But you’re too big to fly like a fairy aren’t you?”

“Yes, I’m too big now. But when I was little, I had some fairy friends that visited me at night. It was wonderful.”

“You had some fairy friends? Daddy, I have some fairy friends too. I didn’t think you would understand,” Sam said excitedly.

“I totally understand. But you also have to remember that they are only friends when you’re little and you can’t become one of them,” Jim explained.

“That’s what Tinkerbelle said. She said that you have to be little. I told her that I might be shrinking,” Sam said.

“No, you can’t shrink. You can only hear them for a short time and then they’ll fly on to other children that need to have little friends. You wouldn’t want to keep them all to yourself, would you?” Jim asked.

“But daddy, I really love them. Mia is so nice. I want to be just like her,” Sam said sadly.

“Enjoy them while you can, Sam. Time goes by pretty fast when you’re a little girl.”

Jim kissed her on top of the head and left the room. He heard her say, “Okay, I believe you now. If daddy says you have to be tiny, I know it’s the truth. He said I have to share you, but not yet, okay?”

There was silence and then Sam said, “Yes, another couple of nights would be wonderful. Thank you, Blue.”

Jim smiled as he walked into the kitchen to see what Blair was making for dinner. He kissed his lover on the back of the neck and felt Blair shiver.

“So what’s going on?” Blair asked.

“I told you what was going on. She in there discussing a couple more nights stay with the fairies and then she’ll let them go to the next house to help out the next little boy or girl.”

“Jim, she is too cute for words.”

“I agree,” Jim answered.

“Isn’t it cute that she thinks little boys believe in fairies too?” Blair asked.

“That’s because I told her when I was little I had some fairy friends I talked to, but only in my room, never at school. Her teacher had to fuss at her today about not paying attention.”

“Way to go with handling that. Did she believe you?” Blair wondered.

“Of course she believed me. I’m her daddy. I don’t lie,” Jim replied.

Blair started making dinner and Jim was by his side helping him. “What did the boys think about it?”

Blair smiled. “They think she’s as cute as we do. They were hoping there was an easy explanation out there.”

“I’m going to set the table while you finish up what you’re doing,” Jim said.

“Thank you. I love when you’re on top of things,” Blair smiled.

“I love being on top of things too,” Jim said laughing.

Blair swatted him with the towel as he walked by and laughed. “Since when am I a thing?”

“Since it just popped into my head and I had to share it.”

Blair laughed again.

&&&&&&&&&&

Jim yelled for Sam to come for dinner and Sam came right out, which was a good sign. Everyone at the table noticed how sad Sam looked.

“Hey little sister, what’s wrong?” Max asked.

“Blue said they had to leave and spend time with other little girls and boys,” Sam replied.

“Who is Blue?” Drew asked.

“She’s my fairy friend. Daddy said it’s all right to have fairy friends, but you can only have them in your room. They can’t go to school with you or in the car with you. There are four of them and they’re so nice. I’m really going to miss them. They said to tell you all goodbye. They liked all of you,” Sam said.

“Well, I bet we would have liked them too. When we were little, I wonder if we knew any of their families,” Jim said.

“I know that I know a couple of fairies,” Blair said and almost laughed.

Max did laugh and Jim just growled at Blair. This made Drew laugh and Sam said, “Daddy, why are you growling like a doggy?”

“Because poppy is being mean,” Jim answered.

“Do you think fairies ever eat?” Sam inquired as she totally changed the subject.

“Only when they are alone. They don’t want anyone to know what they eat,” Blair said.

“We could guess, couldn’t we?” Sam asked.

“As long as you eat while you’re guessing, that would be fine,” Jim said.

Sam started eating and you could just tell she was thinking like crazy. “I bet they eat something like ‘Smarties’. They are so cute and remind me of something a fairy would eat.”

Max laughed and said, “I think they eat carrots, so they can see far.”

“Oh, I bet they do, Max. I’m going to ask Belle when I see her again.”

“Do you think they eat meat?” Drew asked.

“I don’t think so. I think they only eat ‘Smarties’ and carrots,” Sam answered.

Jim and Blair couldn’t help it, they burst out laughing.

“Daddy and poppy, why are you both laughing?” Sam asked.

Jim said, “They eat exactly what we do, only on tiny little plates and bowls.”

Blair smiled and said, “And don’t forget the tiny little silverware they would use. They would be so small that we couldn’t’ even see them.”

Sam looked at Jim and Blair and said, “Wow, you both know a lot about fairies. I’m so glad. They like you. They said you’re the best daddies they’ve ever seen. And they like Drew and Max too. They told me I was lucky to have good brothers.”

“Make sure and tell them thank you for us, Sam,” Blair said.

“I will. I’ll tell them when I go back in the room,” Sam replied.

“Did you finish your homework for tonight? Jim asked.

“Yes, Max helped me with it earlier tonight. Right before you got home, poppy,” Sam said.

“Would you like to load the dishwasher with us, pumpkin?” Blair asked.

“No, I want to read the new book I picked up at the library at school. Blue, Mia, Red and Belle all want to hear how well I can read.”

Max smiled and tried not to laugh, but a snicker slid out before he could stop it.

“What’s so funny, Max?” Sam asked.

“Daddy and poppy are just funny and they make me and Drew laugh all the time.”

“They make me laugh too, Max. Daddy and poppy stop making Max laugh,” Sam said sternly.

“We’ll try,” Jim answered.

Drew laughed this time and Sam said, “You’re not trying very hard. You just made Drew laugh.”

“Sorry, Drew. I’ll have to try harder,” Jim said.

This time, Max laughed.

Samantha looked like she was in shock as she said, “Daddy, now you made Max laugh. I think you need a time out.”

Blair burst out laughing and said, “I think we’re all in a laughing mood tonight, Sam. No one needs a time out.”

“Well, if you’re sure,” she answered.

All four of the guys started to laugh their heads off and Samantha looked perplexed. “Why am I not laughing?”

“Samantha, just think about something funny and laugh your head off,” Blair suggested.

She thought and thought and finally started laughing, which made all the guys laugh all over again. Before long, they were all wiping tears from their eyes and couldn’t have told you what they were laughing about.

Everyone helped clear the table and Sam walked into her room happily. Max and Drew went upstairs to do homework and Jim and Blair were left to do the dishes.

Blair washed and Jim loaded the dishwasher and suddenly Jim started laughing.

“What?” Blair asked.

“She’s in there telling the fairies why her mommy and daddy are two guys. She’s doing a pretty good job of it too,” Jim explained.

“That’s too cute. She’s a keeper, let me tell ya,” Blair said.

“Oh oh, she just found out that the fairies are leaving. They told her they have to move on. Well, I mean that’s what she said anyhow. It’s not like I can hear them,” Jim said.

They no sooner got done with the kitchen and shut off the light when the walked into the living room and Sam was standing there looking sad.

“Did they have to leave, Sam?” Blair asked.

“Yes, they said there were other little kids that needed some fairy help but I had already gotten my help. But I don’t understand. What did they help me with?” Sam asked.

“Maybe they helped you discover who you were,” Blair said.

“I know who I am, poppy.”

“Maybe they just thought you needed some company,” Jim suggested.

“I have no idea. They should have stayed longer and told me more. That’s what I think. Now I’m going to go and take my bath,” Sam said. “And by the way, daddy and poppy, I think I like Hello Kitty more then fairies.”

[samhellokitty.jpg]

Jim and Blair both smiled and Jim said, “How quickly they turn on you.”

“I’m taking my bath.”

“Okay, you call us when you’re ready to get tucked into bed,” Blair said.

They sat down on the sofa and listened to the water running in the bathroom. Blair turned to Jim and said, “Thank you again, for agreeing to have these children. They bring nothing but joy and wonder to our lives. I love you.”

Jim kissed Blair and whispered, “I love you, back.”

The end

Family Life Part 88
She Loves You
by Patt and the Beatles

Word Count: 2809

Summary: Jim is not the only one that can sing in the family.

Jim was sitting at his desk doing paperwork, which he hated and Blair came by and said, “Go feign a headache and go home and check on Max. He didn’t look good when we left him today. Plus someone’s going to have to be there to pick the kids up since he’s not feeling well.”

“Good idea, I have a headache,” Jim said as he limped towards Simon’s office.

Blair called out, “It’s in your head, not your leg, Jim.”

“Oh yeah, it’s so bad I was limping,” Jim said as he got to Simon’s door and knocked on it.

“Enter,” Simon barked.

“Sir, I have a horrible headache and was hoping I could take the day off,” Jim said hoping he looked pained enough.

“You’re worried about Max, right?” Simon asked.

“Sort of.”

“Why didn’t you just say that then? You and Sandburg think I’m stupid don’t you?” Simon barked again.

“No, Simon, we would never think you were stupid. But Blair told me to tell you I had a headache.”

“I cannot believe you just threw him under the bus like that. What kind of a soul mate are you?” Simon laughed.

“So do you mind if I go home and check on Max?” Jim asked.

“No, not at all. Tell the kid I said hello,” Simon said as he physically shoved Jim out of his office and slammed the door.

Blair said, “Did everything go alright?”

“I threw you under the bus and Simon pitied me for it.”

Blair threw back his head laughing and said, “Go check on our son.”

Jim did just that.

&&&&&&&&&&

When he got home, the house was pretty quiet except Jim could hear singing from the shower, and not just singing, but good singing. Max was singing. Jim figured he must have been feeling better to be singing and humming.

He sat down on the sofa and listened to his son sing.

“She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

You think you lost your love,
Well, I saw her yesterday.
It’s you she’s thinking of
And she told me what to say.

She says she loves you
And you know that can’t be bad.
Yes, she loves you
And you know you should be glad.

She said you hurt her so
She almost lost her mind.
But now she said she knows
You’re not the hurting kind.

She says she loves you
And you know that can’t be bad.
Yes, she loves you
And you know you should be glad. Ooh!

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
And with a love like that
You know you should be glad.

You know it’s up to you,
I think it’s only fair,
Pride can hurt you, too,
Apologize to her

Because she loves you
And you know that can’t be bad.
Yes, she loves you
And you know you should be glad. Ooh!

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah

With a love like that
You know you should
Be Glad!

With a love like that
You know you should
Be Glad!

With a love like that
You know you should
be glad!

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Yeah, yeah, yeah Ye-ah.”

Max came walking out of the bathroom, semi dressed and Jim cleared his throat. Max jumped about a foot off of the floor and said, “Dad, when did you get here.”

“In time for the song,” Jim replied.

“I feel a lot better,” Max admitted.

“I can see that. Is there anything you want to talk to me about?”

Max put his tee shirt on and walked over to the sofa and sat next to his dad. “I’ve been thinking about trying out for the glee club. But I haven’t gotten the nerve up yet. But I kept telling myself that if you could sing in front of us, then I could too. But I don’t have as much guts as you do, dad.”

“When are the tryouts?” Jim asked.

“They were this morning. I chickened out and knew they wouldn’t think much about it because I was sick.”

“Max, calling in sick is never the answer. Besides, I tried it with Simon and he knew I was telling a story when I said I didn’t feel good and had to come home. Chances are the glee club teacher knows you chickened out. We didn’t raise you to be a chicken, Max. So you’re going to go tomorrow and ask if you can try out late,” Jim suggested.

“But dad, it’s a Beatles song that stuck in my head. Of all songs, did it have to be a Beatles song?”

“You know what you should do? Ask Misty if she’ll go to, and sing the song to her. She’ll think it’s romantic. I guarantee. Now, what are you going to do tomorrow?” Jim asked.

“I’ll talk to Mr. Singer, yes, that’s his name, and ask if I can try out late. Do I have to tell him that I was playing sick?” Max wondered.

“That’s up to you. If you want to tell, do, if you don’t want to, don’t. But tomorrow is going to be a great day. I wish I could be there for tryouts.”

“Do you think that I sing well enough to make it?”

“Max, you sing well enough for anything. You have an excellent voice and I’m quite proud of you for letting me hear it for once. How long have you been singing?”

“Since I was about ten. But I always did it on the sly. I didn’t want anyone making fun of me,” Max explained.

“I totally understand, Max. I went through the same thing. I couldn’t give up football, so I had to give up glee club. But you’re not doing football any longer, so that’s not a problem with you. You’re a strong kid. You could take any amount of razzing that anyone gives you.”

“I have another song, I wanted to sing too, but didn’t know if it was too much,” Max said.

“I’m here, we’re alone, you can try it on me,” Jim offered as he pushed Max off the sofa to stand up and sing.

Max got ready and put a Beatles disc in the player. As soon as the music started Jim smiled. It was one of his favorites too.

“Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they’re here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, I’m not half the man I used to be
There’s a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, I yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to go I don’t know she wouldn’t say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Why she had to go I don’t know she wouldn’t say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm”

The music finished playing and Max sat down next to Jim and said, “Those are the only two I practiced. I’m a closet Beatles fan.”

“I can see why, you sang them both beautifully. Max, you have a wonderful voice and I just know that Mr. Singer is going to love hearing it. I can bet money that he’ll sign you right up,” Jim assured Max.

“You promise that I’m good enough to try out?” Max begged.

“I promise. I wouldn’t lie if I didn’t truly believe it. Max, I know that I can sing, so I know good sound when I hear it. You have a lovely voice and everyone should be hearing it.”

Max hugged Jim and said, “You and pop are the best. You’re both the reason I wanted to try out. I wanted to make you so proud because I know I’ll never be the cook that Drew is. I wanted to do something on my own.”

“And you did, Max. How about if I record you singing both of the songs, so that pop gets to hear it tonight when we’re upstairs? Then he won’t feel like he missed everything because he was at work, where I should have been too.”

“Yeah, let’s do that. I’d like to sing something with you sometime,” Max said almost shyly.

“We can practice anytime you want to, Max. I’m here for you,” Jim said.

For the next half hour, they recorded the two songs so that Blair would be able to hear them upstairs that night.

Max said, “Dad, will it be alright to not tell anyone until I find out tomorrow?”

“That will be great. You’re going to do just fine, son. Stop worrying, okay?”

“Thanks, again, dad. Do you suppose I can go pick up Drew and Sam?”

“Yes, and while you’re doing that, I’m going to start dinner. That way we’ll have it all done by the time pop gets home,” Jim said.

Max left to pick up his siblings and Jim started dinner. He called Blair and told him what had happened when he got home that day.

“You’re shitting me? I have to wait until tomorrow to hear him sing?” Blair ranted.

“Nope, he recorded a CD for you to listen to tonight at your leisure. I thought you would want to hear him, so we thought it was a good idea,” Jim said.

“It was an excellent idea, Jim. Can I listen to it when I get home?” Blair asked.

“As long as you use the headphones and you don’t make a big deal about it tonight in front of the other kids. Max doesn’t want anyone to know, in case he fails. Believe me; he’s not going to fail. And guess what else? He’s a closet Beatles fan. He knows all of their songs.”

Blair smiled. “Jim what are you making for dinner tonight. Maybe we should go out to celebrate.”

“No, tomorrow when he has the news to tell the family. Then we’ll all go out to eat. I figured that Sullivan’s Steakhouse would be a great place to celebrate,” Jim suggested.

“I gotta go, it’s time to come home,” Blair said laughing.

“See you soon, babe,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

Jim realized he had never told Blair what he was making, but he was making Chicken and dumplings, because that was Sam’s favorite dinner. Jim tried to give them each something they loved once a week. He got busy making all of the dinner and all he had left to do was the dumplings when the kids got home.

“Daddy, I don’t have any homework tonight,” Sam yelled as she came, flying into the kitchen.

“Why don’t you have any homework?”

“Daddy, are you making Chicken and Dumplings?” Sam said scenting the air like Jim did.

“Why yes, I am making that, now why don’t you have any homework?”

“Anyone that knew how to write their address and phone number didn’t have to do homework tonight. Because that’s what homework was. You need to practice writing your address and phone number. But you and poppy taught me how, so I don’t have to do anything tonight. Isn’t that cool?”

Jim smiled and lifted her up for his afternoon kiss and said, “It’s very cool. It’s always good to know your name and address and phone number. Did a lot of the kids not know it?”

“Only two and the teacher said they had three days to practice it,” Sam said.

“That’s good. They’ll probably know it by then,” Jim agreed.

“Can I wash up for dinner and set the table, daddy?”

“Sam, why don’t you go and hang out with your brothers? I’m sure that would be more fun then setting the table.”

“Okay, I’ll go see if we can play Wii for a while before poppy gets home,” Sam said as she rushed up the stairs to her brothers’ room.

&&&&&&&&&&

When Blair came walking into the loft, he smelled dinner and the house was all neat and tidy and he felt good about being home.

He walked into the kitchen and kissed Jim. “Go say hello to the kids. Sam wanted to see you when you got home.”

“Is something wrong?” Blair asked, sounding concerned.

“Not at all, she wants to brag because she doesn’t have homework tonight,” Jim explained.

“Oh this ought to be good,” Blair said as he walked up the stairs to the boys’ room.

He knocked and Sam jumped into his arms as soon as he opened the door. “Poppy, poppy, guess what?”

Jim could hear them from the kitchen and smiled at the entire conversation that the boys were no doubt wishing they didn’t have to hear again. Before long, Blair came walking in with Sam by his side. “She wants to know if we can set the table?”

“I already did, you nut,” Jim leaned down and gave her a kiss on the top of the head.

“Daddy, I didn’t even notice. I better start paying more attention if I want to be a policeman when I grow up.”

Both Blair and Jim just smiled. It was the first time they had ever heard this from Sam’s lips and it made them feel good.

Blair said, “So you want to be a policewoman, do you?”

“No, a policeman.”

“Honey, you’re a girl, so you have to be a policewoman,” Blair explained.

“Like Auntie Megan is?” Sam asked.

“Exactly like Auntie Megan is,” Blair said.

“I want to be just like Auntie Megan when I grow up. I’m going to have a baby Jade too,” Sam said as she walked into her room.

Jim waited until she was out of earshot and started laughing. Blair joined him and they then kissed once again.

“Dinner is done, if anyone is hungry,” Jim said.

“Could I go and listen to the CD upstairs?” Blair asked.

“Sure, I’ll just put everything on really low,” Jim decided.

Blair walked upstairs and Jim could hear him hunting for his earphones and heard him say, ‘ah ha.’ when he found them. He could hear the music even with Blair wearing the earphones.

Max came downstairs and said, “Did you tell pop already? He looked like he wanted to hug me big time.”

“He’s upstairs listening to your songs. No, now he’s done listening to your songs. Why don’t you go on up there so he can hug you?”

Max took off for the stairs as Blair was coming down and Blair said, “Oh Max, I’m just speechless.” Then he hugged Max very tight and stayed that way for awhile.

“Boy, you’re not speechless often, so is that a good thing?” Max asked.

“You did a beautiful job with the songs. I think your teacher is going to be pleased.”

They walked down the stairs as Drew walked down his set of stairs. “Why don’t you get Sam for dinner, boys?”

“Okay,” Drew said and walked into Sam’s room and said, “Time to eat.”

“Okay,” Sam called out happily. She really did love Chicken and Dumplings.

They all sat down at the table and ate dinner while talking about their day. Jim could hardly wait to hear the news about tomorrow.

&&&&&&&&&&

When Jim and Blair got home the next day from work, Max was standing there proud as a peacock. “I got in.”

Blair and Jim both hugged him close and said, “Congratulations,” at the very same time.

“He said that I’ve got work to do to catch up with the next show that’s coming up, but he said he had no doubt that I would make it just fine,” Max said cheerfully.

“We’re very proud of you, Max. We knew you could do it, too,” Jim said.

“Did you tell Drew?” Blair asked.

“I told Drew and Sam on the way home from school. Sam said it was ‘way cool’ and Drew was happy for me. He said I’ve been singing in the shower for long enough, it was time to move on,” Max rambled.

Drew came out of the kitchen and said, “I tried out a new recipe for tonight’s dinner. So everyone go wash up and sit down. It’s all set.”

Jim and Blair couldn’t believe how blessed they were. Most people had to come home and cook after a very long day, but not with these kids. They sure helped make life easier.

The end

Family Life Part 89
Christmas Memories

Word Count: 3,321

Summary: Jim and Blair are given many new memories for the holidays. Some of them not so good.

Megan was going to take Max, Drew and Sam shopping for Christmas. Jim and Blair wanted to take them, but the kids had insisted that it be Megan instead. Jim had given them each 100 dollars to spend and Max was carrying Sam’s for her. Jim figured he and Blair would take each of the kids shopping for something for each other later.

“Daddy, is Megan here yet?” Sam asked sweetly.

“I don’t see her, so my guess would be no,” Jim teased.

“Can I ask a question?”

“Sweetie, you can always ask questions. I don’t always have the answers, but I’ll try,” Jim remarked.

“I know that I can’t be a fairy because I’m too tall, but does Santa Claus use faries?” Samantha was ever so serious as she asked this question.

“Poppy, would you like to help with this question?” Jim asked.

“Santa Claus doesn’t use fairies, honey, he uses elves,” Blair stated.

“Am I too tall to be an elf?”

Both Jim and Blair burst out laughing. Jim said, “What do you want to be an elf for?”

“I would love to live with Santa,” Sam said.

“But if you lived with Santa, you couldn’t live here anymore,” Blair pointed out.

“Then I won’t go and live with Santa, because I love it here. I would miss Max and Drew too much. I would probably cry all of the time,” Sam guessed.

“Good, I’m glad you’re not leaving us, Sam, because we sort of like having you in the family,” Jim said happily.

The doorbell rang and Sam said, “I’ll get it.”

“Sam, we don’t let you open the front door. It has to be someone that can look out the peep hole,” Blair reminded her.

“You’re standing right there. I thought I would be safe enough,” Sam said with a trembling lip.

“Sam, don’t cry. We’ll answer it together. I’m going to lift you up and you tell me who it is,” Jim said calmly.

Sam went happily with Jim to answer the door while Blair just laughed and walked into the kitchen. It was probably Megan and she probably wondered why it was taking an hour to answer the door.

Jim lifted Sam up and Sam shouted, “Its Auntie Megan. She’s here.”

Jim set Sam down and opened the door up for Megan. “Hi Sam, are you ready to go shopping?”

“Oh yes, let me go get Max and Drew. They can’t wait to go either.” She hurried up the stairs and before long they were all downstairs chomping at the bit to get going.

“Jim and Blair, could I ask a favor?” Megan asked.

“Sure, what’s up?” Jim wondered.

“Could you guys go and sit with Mason and keep him company? He’s bored out of his mind when Jade isn’t awake. I figured you could maybe play cards?” Megan suggested.

“That’s a good idea. We’ll go now,” Blair said.

Megan and the kids all left at the same time that Jim and Blair did. Jim smiled at the retreating forms and called out, “Have fun.”

“I will, Jim,” Megan answered laughing.

The four of them laughed all the way to the car.

“She’s a good friend, Jim.”

“No doubt about it. She’s the best. She’s so good with the kids and they love her too,” Jim agreed.

“Let’s get over to Mason before he paces a hole in the wood floors,” Blair teased.

Jim knocked on the door softly as not to wake up baby Jade and Mason opened the door happily. “Hey, what are you guys doing here?”

“We came up to see if you wanted to play 5000 Rummy with us,” Blair suggested.

“That would be great, because Jade is down for a nap and that’s usually for about two hours. I was bored already,” Mason explained.

“It was really nice of you to let Megan take our kids shopping,” Jim said.

“Well, you get to take Jade shopping for us,” Mason joked.

“Seriously, we can watch baby Jade anytime you want to go shopping for Connor, if she’s working or whatever,” Jim stated.

“Thanks, I might take you up on it. I have no shopping done at all yet. I realize that Jade is too small to understand, but we want it to be special,” Mason said.

Blair smiled. “You and Megan go shopping tomorrow and we’ll watch her for you. You can buy all of the fun things you’d like her to have and have time to browse if you don’t have to worry about getting home right away.”

“Thank you, Blair. You guys are the best friends we could ever have. Now let me get the cards and start this game. I’m going to do some whooping up on someone,” Mason kidded.

They all laughed and walked into the kitchen area and sat down.

&&&&&&&&&&

“Oh Auntie Megan, can I buy them this?” Sam said pointing to a beautiful fairy statue. It was made out of some type of glass, Megan wasn’t sure, but the price was $220.00 for a little statue.

“No, that is for grown-up women to collect, not for men. They don’t collect fairies.”

“Why not, Auntie Megan?” she asked very seriously. Max and Drew were about ready to laugh.

“Because men don’t believe in fairies, Sam, so we don’t want to waste our money on something like this when they don’t believe,” Megan explained.

“I think so too,” Sam answered quite disgustedly. “But you believe in fairies, don’t you Megan?”

“Sam, once you get past about 10, you don’t believe in them much anymore,” Megan said cautiously.

“So when I’m ten, I won’t believe in them either?” Sam was appalled.

“I think you’re going to believe in them until you are 80 years old,” Megan said and hugged Sam close to her. Megan just loved this little girl and was so glad that Jim and Blair gave her a chance in their lives.

“Should we start shopping for the dads?” Megan called out.

They all started going from store to store trying to figure out what they could get for their money.

Max was looking at something very closely and Megan said, “You found something, Max?”

“I think pop would love this for his office area upstairs. It’s so beautiful and I love it, but its 20 bucks more than I have. Could you lend it to me until we get home? I have it saved in my room,” Max asked nicely.

Megan looked at the wolf statue and knew that Blair would love it. It was so beautiful. So she said, “Sure, you know I can. Let’s go pay for it and then you just have to worry about your dad.”

Sam said, “Can I go stand by Drew, he’s right there?”

Megan said, “Hang on a moment, Max. Let me tell Drew that she’s going to be with him while we pay for this and have it wrapped.”

“Thank you, Megan,” Max said following her, carrying his treasure.

Drew was looking at a gorgeous statue for Jim and looked up when he saw them coming and said, “Is something wrong?”

“No, Drew, I just want you to know that Sam is going to stand by you while you look at this stuff. Max and I are going to go pay for his gift and have it wrapped. Do you mind keeping an eye on Sam?”

“Heck no. She’s my sister.”

Max and Megan walked up the counter and asked if they could get a box for it and if they could get it wrapped.

Drew was finding tons of stuff that his pop and dad would love and was glad they came in here. He figured he could take care of both of them here. That would be nice to be done with it. He glanced down and said, “Sam what do you think of this?”

There was dead silence. Drew said, “Sam, where are you?”

Still dead silence. Drew freaked out and rushed up to Megan at the counter and said, “I lost Sam.”

Megan took her badge out and asked the man to call in a lost child report and Megan left the boys at the counter while she searched high and low for Sam. She was no where in the store. She walked up to the counter and asked them to keep the gift for now, because they were locking down the mall until she was found.

“Should we call pop and dad?” Max asked worriedly.

“Let’s see if we can find her first. We’ll wait 15 minutes or so,” Megan said, trying to sound brave, when all she could think about was some pervert getting their Sam.

The cops came walking into the store and Max took out his picture of Sam from his wallet and they made copies right away. “We need you to stay here, so that if she came back, she’ll be able to find you.”

“Excuse me, I’m a cop, I’m going to go and look for her,” Megan said sounding frantic.

“Then you know how important it is, to keep the brothers safe and not worrying. We’ll find her. I’m sure she just wandered off. Now, please stay here with the other two and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.”

“Can’t I at least scream for her? If she heard her name, she would know to come to me,” Megan suggested.

“We’re all going to be calling her name. Don’t worry, we’ll find her. This happens a lot this time of year,” the cop said with a smile, but Megan could see through the smile and knew he was nervous.

She turned back to Max and Drew and saw that Drew was crying. She pulled him into her arms and said, “Don’t worry, they’ll find her.”

“My dad and pop will never let me stay after this,” Drew said.

“Drew, don’t talk nonsense. They love you and would never make you go somewhere else.”

Fifteen minutes later, they were still standing there and the cop came walking in and said, “No sign of her yet. We’re checking everyone that’s leaving the building, so she won’t be getting out of here with anyone else. Don’t worry so much.”

“What is your name?” Megan asked.

“Bill Smith and yours?”

“Megan Connor. I’m with the 12th precinct.”

“I’m with the 8th. Don’t worry so much, Megan, we’ll find her.”

“Could a police officer stay here with the boys and I could help hunt for her?”

“No, we insist that you stay where you are,” Smith said.

“I’m going to call their dads. They are both cops too,” Megan said pulling her phone out.

“Yeah, it might be good to get them here.”

Megan dialed Jim’s number and heard, “Bored already, Megan?”

“Jim, I need you to stay very calm and come down to the mall right now. We’re in a store called Visions, and the police are looking for Sam. I’m so sorry, Jim. They won’t let me look for her, they’re making me stay here with the boys and wait in case she came back.”

Jim said, “We’ll be there in about ten minutes, if that.” Jim closed his cell, filled Blair in and the two of them barely said goodbye to Mason as they tore out of the building.

&&&&&&&&&&

Jim and Blair rushed into the store, called Visions and saw Drew and Max looking very frightened. Jim and Blair both hugged the boys and then Megan. Jim said, “Blair you stay with the boys, I’m going to go with Megan and see if we can’t find her sooner. You need to stay with them, okay?”

“Go, just go. Find our little girl,” Blair pleaded.

Jim and Megan walked out and Megan said, “Jim, I’m so, so sorry.”

“Hush, Megan, I’m listening for Sam. I need you to put your hand on my back and that will keep me centered long enough to listen for what I need,” Jim said.

Megan put her hand on his back and rubbed it softly. She didn’t say a word, she just hoped he would be able to hear something. Jim suddenly smiled and said, “I hear her. She hiding somewhere. A man asked her to go with him and she freaked out. So she’s hiding and telling the fairies that they need to find her daddy and poppy.”

“You can hear that with all the noise?”

“She in this store, right over here. Why would she be there?” Jim asked.

“She wanted the 200 dollar fairy and I told her it was for adults. She must have wanted another look.

Jim walked in, listened again and then tilted his head and he was on a mission. He found her in a dressing room and she said, “Daddy, they told me you were coming. They told me not to worry. They also told me not to talk to the bad man.”

Jim held her in his arms and said, “Sam, you left Megan, Drew and Max. How many times have we told you, you can’t do that?”

“Are you really mad, daddy?” Sam said, lip trembling.

“Yes, I’m very angry. You scared Auntie Megan and your brothers like crazy. Now let’s get out of here and find them. Poppy is worried.”

Sam was crying when they came out of the dressing room and Megan picked her up and said, “Oh honey, I’m so sorry I didn’t take better care of you.”

“I shouldn’t have left you. Daddy said I was bad.”

“Yes, you were bad and the fairies won’t like it if you’re bad again. So you have to always listen to us from now on,” Megan explained.

They walked across the way, saw the policeman, explained what had happened and he called off the Amber Alert and told them to keep track of her next time. Jim wanted to pop him one, but realized, he was right. God, Jim hated when other people were right.

Blair and the boys came out into the mall and hugged and kissed on Sam. She was still crying. Jim said, “Sam, stop crying right now. Do you want to go home or shop with Auntie Megan?”

“I still get to shop?” Sam asked tearfully.

“If Auntie Megan isn’t too worn out,” Megan went into Jim’s arms and just hugged him so tight that Jim could hardly breathe.

“I would be pleased to take the kids and finish. But this time, Sam is going to stay with me the entire time. And she’s going to apologize to Drew for scaring the crap out of him.”

“I’m sorry, Drew. I didn’t mean to leave. I wanted to see the fairy again. She’s so beautiful,” Sam said.

“We’ll see you at home in a couple of hours,” Jim said. Blair looked at him oddly, but didn’t say anything.

“Yes, you’ll see us bearing gifts in a couple of hours. Thank you for trusting me again, Jim. That’s so important to me,” Megan said almost crying.

“We’ll see you at home, kids. Do what Megan says. No one leaves her side,” Blair said sternly.

“Bye, pop and dad. We’ll see you at home,” Max said happily. He was never so happy in his life that this turned out all right.

Jim and Blair left the mall and got into the SUV. Blair said, “I can’t believe you left her there. I’m telling you, it shocked me to my very core.”

Jim put his head down on the steering wheel and started to cry. Blair didn’t see this often, so he went right into his lovers arms and kissed him over and over again. “She’s fine, babe. We’re going to be just fine.”

Jim blew his nose and said, “Sorry. I was so ready to lose it up there when I thought about all of the horrible things that happen to little kids that get taken from stores. I couldn’t stand the idea of losing our child to some monster. I was so scared, Blair, but so was Megan. She needed to know that we still trusted her. Plus I needed to go with you and have a meltdown.”

Blair kissed him once more and said, “We’re very lucky, Jim. This could have been so bad.”

“I know. So does Megan. Call Mason, he’ll be as worried as Megan was. Tell him we’ll be back to play cards.”

Blair smiled and dialed the number. Things were back to normal.

&&&&&&&&&&

When Megan got home with the kids it was dinner time. Mason was feeding Jade and Jim and Blair were watching him. She hugged Jim and Blair both and said, “Thank you for giving me another chance. They’ll never leave my eyesight again.”

“Thank you for taking such good care of them, Megan. You’re a good Auntie. And speaking of our children, where are they?” Blair asked.

“They’re in the loft, locked in and putting the presents under the tree. Go join them,” Megan suggested.

Blair and Jim kissed Jade on the forehead and said goodbye to both Mason and Megan and left for the evening.

They walked into the loft and saw the three kids putting boxes, wrapped beautifully under the tree. “Looks like you found some good things,” Jim said as he walked in.

“Oh daddy, wait until you see the… Oops, I almost said what I got you. Drew and Max told me I can’t tell, or you can’t have it anymore.”

Blair said, “Sounds like a cool rule, but sometimes accidents happen, so we’ll be a little easy going this time.”

“Are you still mad at me, daddy?”

“No, I’m not mad at you at all. In fact, I want to take my family out for dinner. Would you like to ask Auntie Megan and Uncle Mason if they want to go along?” Jim asked.

Max said, “Claim Jumper?” He was heading for the phone to dial Megan’s number.

“That would be fine. Call and ask if they’d like to go with us and we’ll make it a two family night.”

Jim smiled as he watched Drew putting things under the tree with care and knew they were probably glass or something. Drew looked up at him for a moment and Jim saw the fear there and he said, “Come here.”

Drew walked over to Jim and Jim pulled him into his arms and said, “We have to be very careful with Sam. We have to be very careful with all of you. You’re the only children we’re ever going to have, so we want you here forever. I’m not mad at you and I know you’ll be more careful from now on. I love you, Drew.”

“I thought I would have to move.”

“Drew, we don’t make you move, if you do something we don’t like. You have to get over that. Okay?”

“I love you too, dad. Thanks.”

Everyone got ready to go and when Megan, Mason and Jade showed up, they all walked down to their SUVs.

Jim and Megan smiled at each other and knew that they were fucking lucky this time. Jim knew that Megan would never leave Sam alone again. And Jim knew that he could always trust her.

They got into the SUV and Sam said, “Merry Christmas, everyone.”

“Merry Christmas to you, too,” Drew said.

“Are you excited for the presents?” Max asked.

“I’m very excited. I was hoping to get a fairy statue. But the fairies told me that I wasn’t old enough. So maybe next year,” Sam said.

Jim smiled and said, “You just never know, Sam, you just never know.”

The end

Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope that the New Year brings nothing but happiness and good health.

Hugs, Patt

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 90
Winter Wonderland
By Patt

Word Count: 2,054
Summary: Someone has never been in a snowball fight.

Notes: For Beth for giving me this wonderful story idea.

Samantha woke up early and looked out her window and saw something she was excited about. It had snowed and she had wished for snow all during the holidays. She put her robe on and walked out of her room to find Drew making cinnamon rolls in the kitchen. “Do you think I can wake daddy and poppy up to tell them there is snow outside?”

Drew smiled. “I think they can wait until they come downstairs, Sam. But you could go and tell Max. He doesn’t know yet.”

“Oh goody, I’ll tell, Max.” She rushed up the stairs to their room and jumped on Max’s bed and said, “Guess what?”

It was Max’s turn to smile. “What?” He yawned and stretched as he waited for the surprise she was going to tell him.

“We got snow. Remember how daddy said we’d have a snowball fight if it snowed? Well, it snowed, so get ready to have a snowball fight.” Sam jumped off his bed and rushed down the stairs, hoping that her dad and pop would be up.

Drew saw her looking upstairs, trying to decide if she should go up there or not and he said, “Can you help me set the table? We need glasses for orange juice and milk too. Then we need plates for the rolls and knives to butter them with. I could use some help.”

“I can help you.” She washed her hands and got busy helping Drew get everything set on the table. Before long, they were finished and Jim and Blair came walking down the stairs smiling.

“What is that wonderful smell?” Blair asked.

Sam said, “Drew made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Guess what?”

Blair almost laughed because he had seen the snow, plus Jim had heard her downstairs making a fuss trying to wake them up. “What?”

“It snowed, so we’re going to have a snowball fight. Remember?” Sam asked.

Jim picked Sam up and hugged her and said, “We didn’t forget. We’ll call Uncle Simon over, Daryl and Megan and Mason and see if they want to have some fun too.”

“Oh goody, everyone will be here. This is going to be great fun. But no snowballs in the face in case there is ice in it, right?” Sam wanted to know.

“That’s right. Aim for down below the face,” Blair said.

“But what if we accidentally miss?” Sam asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry about it now, Sam. Let’s have a nice breakfast and then make the phone calls to see if anyone wants to get in on this snowball fight or not,” Jim said.

Blair walked in and hugged Drew. “I could smell the rolls for the last fifteen minutes and couldn’t wait to get down here to eat them.”

“I know how you and dad love the homemade cinnamon rolls, so I figured what the heck.”

Max came walking down the stairs and said, “Oh yum, cinnamon rolls. And then I hear we’re having a snowball fight after breakfast.”

“Daddy and poppy are going to call everyone over to do it with us. It’s going to be fun. We can’t hit baby Jade with a snowball, though,” Sam said seriously.

“We’ll be very careful around baby Jade,” Jim assured her.

Jim got on the phone and called Simon, Daryl and Megan and Mason. Everyone was going to be there in an hour. Now they just had to keep Sam busy for an hour.

They ate their breakfast as slow as they could, so that it would kill some time. But Sam wasn’t having it.

“Why are you all eating so slow? There are snowballs to be made. We could be downstairs having fun instead of eating.”

They all laughed and Jim finally said, “You have to help clean up after breakfast and then we need to find your snowsuit and mitten. You can’t have a snowball fight without mittens or a snowsuit.”

“Daddy, I already found my snowsuit. Remember how poppy said I would probably never need it? Well, I’m going to need it today. It’s really pretty. I like it, a lot. Pink and purple are my favorite colors.”

“Max, do you want to help me clean up the mess I made?” Drew asked.

Blair said, “We’ll all help. Come on Sam, this will help keep us busy until everyone gets here.”

They all helped in the kitchen and Sam rattled on about the snow the entire time. The guys were all laughing and smiling while they listened to her.

“Oh to be five again,” Drew said.

Jim burst out laughing. “Drew, you’re only 14. It’s not like you’re sixty.”

“I know, but when you’re five, things are a lot more exciting. Look how thrilled she is,” Drew said.

Max smiled and said, “I don’t know about you, bro, but I’m as excited as she is. This is going to be great fun. I can’t wait to get started.”

“Me too, Max,” Sam said excitedly.

There was a knock on the door and Sam went flying into the living room and stood in front of the door. She didn’t open it, because she knew better then to do that, but she was excited.

Jim opened up the door and said, “Come on in, Daryl and Simon. Are you guys ready to get pounded with snowballs?”

Simon said, “I’m going to be on Daryl, Max and Drew’s side. So I probably won’t get pounded that much. You’re going to be the ones getting pounded.”

There was another knock on the door and Sam about went wild. “That’s probably Auntie Megan and Uncle Mason. Can we start now?”

Jim opened the door and found Megan, Mason and Jade waiting in the hall. Jade was all bundled up in a snow suit and looked darling. Jim picked her up out of her strolled and kissed her. “How is our baby, Jade today?”

Mason said, “She’s going to sit on the sidelines with mommy so she doesn’t get hit with a snowball. But I’m here to have some fun.”

The boys rushed upstairs to get their warm clothing on and Jim and Blair did the same. Sam was already done by the time they all got downstairs.

“Let’s get this show on the road,” Jim said smiling.

Sam let out a squeal of delight and they were off.

@@@@@@@

Once downstairs, Jim and Blair took Sam over to one side of the open field and Simon, Daryl, Drew and Max went to the other side. Mason went with Jim and Blair. Megan had her camcorder and was ready for action.

“Now the first thing we have to do, Sam, is make the snowballs. And we have to make enough of them so we can throw a lot of them. So this is how it’s done,” Jim explained as he showed her how to build a snowball. She got all excited and started getting busy building the snowballs and so did Blair and Mason. Before long they had piles and piles of snowballs and had built a little ledge of snow to hide behind. Blair had built that, so that they would be safe from the other team.

Simon said, “Wow, they built a little barrier to hide behind, I guess we better do the same thing.”

So they got busy and built one too.

Megan smiled as she recorded these adults having fun with the children. Jim, Blair, Mason and Sam had a huge piles of snowballs and then decided to build some more. They weren’t going to be outdone by Simon.

Megan smiled as she watched these people she loved dearly build their forts and their snowballs. This was going to be a fight to the finish. Sam was enjoying it so much, that Megan kept recording her, so that the daddies could watch it later.

Before too long, both sides finished with their ammo and decided to start. Mason said, “Sam gets the first toss.”

No one argued the point. Sam stood up and threw the snowball as hard as she could and it hit Max in the shoulder.

“This means, war,” Max shouted as he threw one back at Sam.

Before long they were all throwing snowballs at each other, sometimes actually hitting their target, but mostly missing them by a mile.

Megan was having a blast recording this, because all she could hear was laughing and happiness coming from these friends. Even Jade was enjoying it. She was clapping and laughing at her daddy throwing the white things at Uncle Simon.

They did this for two hours and Megan said, “Time out.”

They all stopped and looked at Megan like she was a spoilsport and Jim asked, “What?”

“Does someone want to check Samantha’s hands to see if she’s too cold?” Megan suggested.

Samantha frowned and said, “I am cold, poppy. My hands are frozen. Could we go inside and have hot chocolate?”

The boys and the men realized that they would have to give up because Sam was freezing. They forgot that she was a little girl, not an immature man.

They all cleaned the snow off of them and went upstairs for hot chocolate. At the doorway, everyone took their coats, gloves and boots off. It was a funny thing, each member realized how cold they were once they walked into the warm loft.

Drew said, “What would everyone like with their hot chocolate?”

Blair hugged Drew and said, “Nothing. Just hot chocolate is good. Come on, I’ll help you make it.”

Everyone went into the living room and Jim said, “I don’t know about anyone else, but that was the most fun I’ve had in years.”

Simon smiled. “I agree. I haven’t done that since Daryl was little. It just goes to prove that you’re never too old for a snowball fight.”

Max asked, “Did you have fun, Sam?”

“I had a good time, but I got too cold.”

Megan frowned and said, “Do you want to sit with me, I’m warm, honey?”

“No, I’m fine. I’m already getting warmer. Once we have our hot chocolate, we’ll all be warm, right?” Sam asked.

Jim said, “Yes, we’ll all be warm. I had fun playing in the snow with you, Sam.”

“Thank you, daddy. I had fun playing with everyone in the snow. I never knew what a snowball fight was until today. It was a lot of fun.”

Blair and Drew came carrying trays with hot chocolate for everyone. They even brought a bottle of it out for Jade in case Megan would let her have it. They didn’t have to worry about that, because Jade was sound to sleep.

They all sat and drank the warm liquid, thanking Drew and Blair for it. Sam said, “Daddy, can I lay on you?”

“Why don’t we have you lay down in your room and you can have just a little nap?” Jim suggested.

“Daddy, I’m not a baby,” Sam replied.

She crawled into Jim’s lap and was asleep within moments. Everyone was snickering over that. Jim carried her into her bedroom and laid her down for a nap, but Jim wouldn’t call it that when she woke up.

They all watched the video that Megan took and loved every second of it. “I’ll make copies for all of you when I get upstairs,” Megan promised.

“Good, because this is one of those first times that we don’t want to ever forget. Thank you for recording it, Megan,” Blair said.

“I don’t know about anyone else, but I need a nap,” Simon said as he stretched and yawned.

“I could use one myself,” Mason admitted.

“I think we should all call it a day and we’ll all have naps,” Blair said.

Max stood up and said, “Thanks for the fun time everyone. I had a blast.”

Drew said, “I’m ready for a short nap myself.”

After everyone left, Jim and Blair took the cups into the kitchen, rinsed them out and put them in the dishwasher. Then once the house was locked up, they walked upstairs for a nap themselves.

Blair realized as he was almost asleep that it was a wonderful time of year. It might be cold, but the snow made it all worthwhile.

The end

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *