Family Life Parts 11-20

Family Life Part 11
The Fair
By Patt

Patt

This idea was sent to me by Helena. Thank you, sweetie. I was at a standstill. Now ideas are flopping all over in my brain. Scary, I know. LOL

Word Count: 2,581

Jim opened up the newspaper on Sunday and was reading it when all he heard was Guitar Hero playing upstairs. He had his Sentinel hearing as turned down as it could be and it was still loud. Blair walked by and patted him on the back. “They should move on to the Wii shortly. I’ll take them up a snack, so your ears can have a rest.”

“Thank you, but do you want all of that food in their bedroom?” Jim asked.

“Good point, man. I keep you around to remind me of things,” Blair kidded.

He fixed up a bowl of pudding, a plate of homemade cookies, a bowl of Jell-o and put those on the table. Then he fixed up a fruit salad for those that liked something that’s better for you and for someone that doesn’t like fruit, he made up a vegetable platter with Ranch Dip. Jim walked in and said, “You think you have enough, Chief?”

“Seriously, Jim, we’re talking about teens. They’ll scarf this down in nothing flat,” Blair said.

“I’ll believe you. I don’t remember ever having a feast like this laid out by Sally for me and my friends,” Jim said smiling.

“Do you think it will embarrass them?” Blair asked, suddenly horrified by the prospect.

“Too late, they’re on their way down,” Jim warned.

Blair went to the refrigerator and got some juices out and set them on the table and also took out a gallon of milk and put it next to the juices. The table was set with bowls, plates, napkins, glasses and silverware. Everything was ready for hungry kids.

“Wow, this is something,” Mark said sitting down and starting in already.

“Why don’t you sit down and have something, Mark,” Drew teased.

“Oh sorry, I guess I should have waited,” Mark said, blushing.

“I was teasing. Eat, that’s what they put it there for,” Max said.

They all sat down and within forty minutes, all of the food was gone. Jim just looked at Blair in shock.

“Do you need some more?” Jim asked, hoping they would say no. He wanted some of those cookies.

“No, that’ll do us until lunch time,” Max said happily. “Thank you, Jim and Blair.”

“Thank Blair, I had nothing to do with it. I was sitting and reading the paper while he did all of this,” Jim said.

“Thank you, Blair,” everyone said at the same time and then snickered as they rushed back up the stairs again.

“I told you,” Blair said somewhat shocked himself at how much damage teens could do in less then an hour.

“And you were right on.”

“Is there anything interesting in the newspaper?” Blair asked.

“There’s a fair this week, and the boys are out of school on Thursday and Friday for the event. I wondered if we could get one of the days off and take them to the fair,” Jim suggested.

“Oh man, they would love that. Call Simon right now and ask him. He’s at work, he’s not busy,” Blair joked, laughing hard.

Jim called him and Simon answered, “Ellison, what are you calling me for?”

“I wanted to see if we could have Thursday or Friday off to take the boys to the fair,” Jim asked.

Blair started cleaning up the mess the boys had made and washed the table down and he found himself wondering if they were going to be hungry in two hours for lunch. Blair didn’t think he had enough food.

Jim got off the phone and smiled. “Boy, Simon was in a good mood. He told us to take both days off instead of Saturday. We can work for him on Saturday instead,” Jim said happily.

“That’s great news. Let me call the boys down so you can tell them. They haven’t said a word about going,” Blair said.

He went to the bottom of the stairs and called for Drew and Max. Both of the boys came down immediately and looked worried right away.

“Jim has something to tell you that you might enjoy hearing,” Blair warned.

“What?” Drew asked.

“How would you like to go to the fair on Friday and Saturday?” Jim asked watching to see the look on their faces. There was only a look of confusion.

“We’ve never been to the fair. Is it fun?” Max asked.

Jim and Blair looked at each other in shock. Blair finally answered, “It’s only the most fun you’ll ever have in your life.”

“Really? We’ve always wanted to go, but never had the chance. We’re going Thursday and Friday, both?” Drew asked.

“Yes and get ready to have the time of your life. We love the fair,” Jim said cheerfully.

“You can go and tell your friends now. They’re going to be excited too. I’m sure they’re going,” Blair guessed.

Both of the boys rushed up the stairs and Jim heard them telling the news to Mark, Mike, Seth and Sam. They were all talking about it then and they were all very excited.

“They’re up there all excited and have no idea why they should be excited. It’s too sad,” Jim said.

“We take a lot of things for granted, Jim.”

“Yes, we sure do. Little things sometimes make a big difference in the lives of kids too. I kissed my first girl at the fair,” Jim admitted.

“Well, you better not be kissing any girls this time around,” Blair said sternly, and then burst out laughing.

“You know me, I only love you,” Jim confessed and Blair knew it to be true.

“Jim, I’m thinking I don’t have enough food for the boys for lunch. I gave them a snack that was enough to feed 12 kids and it only fed six. I’m going to run to Subway and get foot-longs, do you mind?”

“That’s a good idea. Do we have enough juice, milk and soda?” Jim asked.

“I’m going to stop for that on the way back from Subway. Do you mind being in charge all alone?” Blair wondered.

“Nope, I’m fine with the boys. Don’t worry about a thing,” Jim assured him.

“I might get some more snacks too,” Blair said.

~~~~~

When lunch was done, Blair was glad he had picked up Subway. Those boys ate enough for a dozen kids, easily, if not more.

Jim and Blair sat down on the sofa and watched a movie together while the boys played Wii. At 3:00 they all came down.

“Seth and Sam have to walk home now,” Max said.

“Would you like a ride?” Blair asked.

“No, we only live three blocks away. Mark and Mike are going to walk us. They live one block further then we do. Thanks for asking,” Seth answered.

Jim and Blair had no idea which one answered, because they were identical twins.

“It was very nice meeting you both and I’m glad you came by,” Jim said.

“Would you like an apple for the road?” Blair asked.

“That would be great. That will tide us over until we get home,” Mark said, making Jim and Blair look oddly at each other all the more.

Max said, “We’re going to walk them to the corner.”

“Okay, be careful walking home, boys,” Jim said as he turned and walked back into the living room.

“Thanks for everything Jim and Blair,” Seth said.

Sam said, “We had a great time. Next time maybe Max and Drew can come over to our house to hang out.”

“I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. We’ve met your parents and we really like them, so it’s okay with me, is it with you, Jim?” Blair asked.

“Works for me. See you next time,” Jim said.

They all walked out the door and Mark and Mike called out, “Thanks, Jim and Blair.”

“You’re welcome,” Jim and Blair said at exactly the same time.

Blair shut the door and pretended to faint on the floor.

“My god, I don’t remember teens being this much work,” Blair said.

“Why would you? We’ve never had them before,” Jim reminded him.

“Oh yeah.” Both men laughed and sat on the sofa.

~~~~~

Thursday morning at 7:00 Jim heard Drew and Max up and getting ready for the fair.

Jim kissed Blair’s shoulder and said, “The boys are anxious, they’re already dressed and ready to go.”

“You’re kidding? It’s only 7:00,” Blair whined.

“Get the lead out, Chief,” Jim said as he got out of bed himself.

“Jesus, did it have to start so early?” Blair grumbled.

Jim just laughed and got his clothing ready to take down for his shower. “I’ll shower first and don’t you dare fall back to sleep.”

Blair looked all hurt and said, “Me? I would never do that.”

“Just remember this is their first time and we want it to be long and eventful the first day. The second day we’ll all be too tired to be that excited,” Jim guessed.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go jump in the shower. I’m next.”

Jim walked down the stairs and Max said, “Good morning Jim. How are you today?”

“I’m excited about the fair too. So you’re not the only ones excited,” Jim divulged.

Max smiled and went back to eating his cereal. By the time Jim got out of the bathroom, Blair was dancing around.

“Chief, you can come in when I’m in the shower. The guys understand we’re together.”

“I wouldn’t want to embarrass them,” Blair said.

“Oh don’t worry about that. That would never embarrass us,” Drew said.

Blair hurried up so they could get the trip started by 8:30. The fair opened at 9:00 and they wanted to be first in some of the lines.

~~~~~

When they got to the park, Jim went to the ticket booth first thing, paid for the four of them and then bought $100.00 worth of tickets to get them started.

“Okay, we’re ready guys,” Jim said smiling.

“What do you want to do first?” Blair asked.

“What is this?” Drew asked looking at an odd looking contraption.

“It’s a Spiderman Drop Tower. You sit in those seats all buckled in and it takes you up to the top and drops you a little ways, and then a little more and goes back up again until you can’t scream any longer,” Jim said laughing.

“I’d like to try that, but I’m afraid to go alone,” Drew confessed.

“We’re all going,” Jim said pushing them all towards the ride.

“Jim, this isn’t one of my faves,” Blair reminded him.

“It’s for the guys, Chief.”

“Yeah, come on Blair, it’ll be fun. Maybe it’ll make us all scream like girls,” Max coaxed Blair.

They all got on, and Blair didn’t look too happy about it, but he did it anyway, because he wanted to be there for them. It started going up after they were all buckled in and Blair grabbed a hold of Max’s hand and said, “I have to have a hand to hold.”

Max laughed and said, “That’s fine.”

They got up all the way to the top and could see everything in the fairgrounds. Then it suddenly dropped them a few feet, very quickly and Max was right. It made them all scream like girls.

It just kept going up and down and up and down. Blair was so looking forward to the end of it, he couldn’t believe it. Finally it stopped and they got off.

Max was hyped up and so was Drew. “That was the coolest thing we’ve ever been on,” Max said.

“Yet. It’s the coolest thing you’ve been on yet,” Jim said happily.

Blair looked a little sick to his stomach and Jim felt bad. “Chief, if you need to sit the next one out, let me know.”

“No, I’ll be fine. It just reminds me of an elevator dropping and I’m not wild about that,” Blair reminded Jim.

“Thanks for going with us, Blair,” Drew said happily as he looked around for what to go on next. He spied the Ferris Wheel and asked if they could go on that next.

Jim said, “That’s a good idea. The Ferris Wheel is slower and easier, so Blair can rest up for the rest of the day.”

Jim sat with Blair on the Ferris Wheel and Max sat with Drew. Jim could hear them ohhing and ahhing from the top of the Ferris Wheel. “They’re having a good time, Blair.”

“I’m glad, but I seriously hated that first ride. This is more my style.”

Blair started relaxing and enjoying the view. He asked from time to time what the boys thought of it and the rest of the time, just took in the sights.

When they got off, Drew and Max were waiting for them. Drew said, “There is a house of mirrors, can we go?”

“We can do whatever you all want to do,” Jim answered, even though he didn’t like the house of mirrors. It messed with his senses.

They went and as everything else, the two boys really loved it. They went from one ride to the next, having more fun each time. At lunch time Blair bought them fair food and they ate everything Blair bought. For dessert, Blair got them Funnel Cake and they were quite taken with that. They decided that they needed another one before they left for the day.

They continued their day on a water ride, that was shaped like a log and all four of them got in the same ride and got wet on it. Then they hit the big roller coaster and they all went on that three times. Blair was seriously wondering what he had been thinking when he agreed to this. There was a huge swing that was called the Screaming Swing and they found out why. It went so high up in the sky that it was frightening to all of them. Again, they all screamed like girls.

All in all, they had a wonderful day and when they left at 8:00, they were all ready for bed. The park was lovely at night with everything lit up. They stopped and got a Funnel Cake on the way out and ate it walking to the parking lot.

“Thank you, Jim and Blair. I had a terrific time,” Max said.

“Me too,” Drew added.

“We have another day of it tomorrow if you want to,” Jim offered.

“Did we spend all of your tickets?” Max asked.

“Yes, we’re out finally,” Jim answered.

“Then I say we relax tomorrow and just talk about today then,” Max suggested.

“That sounds like a great idea, Max,” Blair admitted.

They all got into the SUV and about ten minutes into the drive, Jim said, “Blair, check them out.”

Blair turned and saw that the boys were sleeping in the back seat. “They’ve probably been up since 3:00 this morning.”

“Probably. It was a great day. I’m glad we took them,” Jim said.

“I had a great time too, Jim.”

“I did too, Blair. It just proves you’re never too old for the fair.”

Jim and Blair both wished they could be the ones sleeping, but the day was worth it. It had been everything they expected and more.

The end

Family Life Part 12
Family Fun
By Patt

Thanks again to Helena for the idea. You’re the best. 🙂

Word Count: 2,809

Blair looked at the fruit in the grocery store and sighed. Nothing looked that good. There was an orchard on the outskirts of town where you picked your own apples, oranges, pears and peaches. Blair had wanted to try that place for ages, but Jim always said they didn’t have time. But now Blair was wondering if time would be exactly what they had with the boys. They could go on their day off on Sunday and make it a fun day for all of them. Now Blair just had to tell Jim and the boys it would be fun.

He drove home and practiced what he would say in his mind, so that he would be more prepared. Now if they listened, would be another story.

~~~~~

Jim heard Blair’s car in the parking lot and knew he was in for a treat. Blair had said he was going to get fresh apples and make apple crisp. He and the boys liked that very much. Blair was a great cook and they were lucky to have him.

Jim smiled when Blair walked in the door of the loft, until he realized he didn’t have any fruit with him.

“Hey,” Blair said smiling.

“I thought you were going to get some fruit,” Jim said.

“There was no good fruit at the store. I looked at everything. I have something to talk to all of you about. Let me get the boys down here,” Blair said as he walked over to the staircase and called out, “Drew and Max, could you come down for a moment?”

Jim, already didn’t like where this was going. It was going to involved something new and Jim hated changes. He waited until Blair sat down to say, “What’s up?”

“Wait until the boys get down here and we’ll discuss it like a family,” Blair said.

Jim knew he was right. This was something new. Damn it, why does Blair always try and change things?

Max and Drew came walking into the living room and sat down across from Jim and Blair. Max said, “What’s up, Blair?”

“I want to do something new as a family but I need you all to go along with it. It wouldn’t be fun for just me. It has to be all of us or none of us,” Blair started.

“You have my attention. What is this new thing?” Drew asked smiling.

“He has my attention too,” Jim said, but didn’t say it with a smile like Drew did.

“There is an orchard on the outskirts of town, called Annie’s Place and I would like us to go as a family to get all of our fresh fruit there. We pick it all ourselves. There are apples, oranges, peaches and pears. I couldn’t find anything good at the store today and decided we need to start picking our own. That way they are fresh and it’ll mean more to do it as a family once every two weeks or so. What do you think of my idea?” Blair asked, hopefully.

“I think it’s a great idea, Blair. Sounds sort of fun. We’d be out in the country with fresh air and all of that. I’m game if everyone else is,” Max answered.

“I’m game too,” Drew replied.

Jim just stared at Blair and finally said, “I guess its fine with me too.”

“No, if you’re guessing, it’s not. Why don’t you want to do it?” Blair asked.

“I just think it would be easier and quicker to do it at the store,” Jim remarked.

“Okay, so we won’t be making this a family project,” Blair said dejectedly.

“Hey, I’d go Blair,” Max offered.

“Thank you, Max, but I wanted it to be a family affair. Not just you, Drew and me. I wanted Jim to be included,” Blair said.

“Jim, come on, it’ll be fun. Think of the apple crisp that Blair will make when he gets fresh apples,” Drew commented.

“Okay, I’ll go. Are we doing it today? Because if we are, I need to DVR the Nascar race before we leave,” Jim said.

“Oh yeah, we wouldn’t want you to miss that,” Blair teased and the boys both laughed out loud.

“Hey, I like Nascar, what can I say?” Jim inquired.

“I’m just teasing you, Jim. I think it’s great that you have a hobby. I’ll make the apple crisp while you watch the race when we get back, deal?” Blair asked.

“Deal,” Jim answered with a smile.

They all got ready to go and went down to the parking lot. “Which SUV are we taking?” Drew asked.

“Mine, I’m going to drive,” Blair said.

“I brought my keys, Blair.”

“So, put them in your pocket, Jim. Now everyone hop in, I’m ready to get this day started. This is going to be so fun,” Blair said happily.

Jim grumbled something under his breath and got into the passenger side of the SUV. Jim hated being the passenger. But Drew and Max loved it. They were laughing at Jim.

“You won’t think it’s so funny when you have your own vehicle and you’re driving,” Jim explained.

“We think you two are funny. And did we mention, cute?” Max joked.

“Hear that, Jim? We’re cute dudes,” Blair kidded too.

“Kid all you want, but I’m just saying, I don’t like being a passenger,” Jim said once more.

“Fine, you want to drive mine?” Blair asked.

“No, I have my keys,” Jim reminded him.

“Oh my god. You are so anal. You want us to all unbuckle ourselves and get into your SUV? Oh my god. I just don’t have the words to say how funny this is,” Blair laughed hard.

“It is funny, Jim,” Max agreed.

Drew asked, “Let’s let Blair drive today and next Sunday you can choose the outing and you can drive, does that sound fair?”

“Yeah, it’s fine,” Jim buckled up his seatbelt and sighed making all three of them laugh all over again.

“What? What did I do?” Jim asked.

“If you have to ask…” Blair said.

“I hate it when you all gang up on me,” Jim whined.

“Then stop being a brat,” Blair teased.

As Blair drove off Jim asked, “Okay, so where is this orchard?” After all, he was the co-pilot.

“It’s past the Farmer’s Market on Highway 57,” Blair said.

“Shit, that’s far,” Jim complained.

“At least it’s a nice day for a drive,” Max said, “Are there any new interesting cases at the station?”

“Actually, we have a murder investigation going on and it’s quite interesting, but we can’t say anything about it,” Jim explained.

“Why did you tease us with it then?” Drew asked jokingly.

“Maybe I want you to suffer, Drew,” Jim teased back.

“There is nothing going on at the station that you can tell us about?” Max asked.

“Well, I have something. I haven’t even told Jim yet,” Blair commented.

“Oh good, something new is going on,” Drew said happily.

“Someone asked me out on a date,” Blair said.

“What?” Jim barked.

“It’s not like I told them yes. It was nice being asked,” Blair responded.

“Who asked you out?” Jim wanted to know.

“Yeah, who asked you out?” Max also wanted to know.

“Barb, in records. You know when I took everything down yesterday? She asked me to dinner. Of course I told her no and that I was taken,” Blair insisted.

“Barb? In records? She knows you’re with me,” Jim said somewhat irritated.

“I don’t know what to tell you, I just thought it was nice to be asked,” Blair admitted.

“Jim, do you ask Blair out any more?” Max wondered.

“I ask him to lunch every day. Doesn’t that count for something?”

“Lunch doesn’t count,” Drew said.

“Fine, Blair would you like to go to dinner with me tomorrow night to Claim Jumper?” Jim asked automatically.

“I’m busy,” Blair answered.

“What do you mean you’re busy?” Jim asked.

“I’m making meatloaf tomorrow night, remember? You asked for it,” Blair reminded him.

“God, I love your meatloaf,” Jim moaned with appreciation making all three of the boys laugh again.

“Okay, how about Friday night? Any plans?” Jim asked.

“I’ll check my calendar when we get home,” Blair joked.

“Seriously, Blair I want to take you out to dinner. Just the two of us. Nothing against you boys, but we need time alone now and then,” Jim said.

“Maybe we could go see Grampa that night. We haven’t seen him all week,” Drew suggested.

“That’s a good idea, Drew. I’ll call and ask him if he’d like to come and spend some time with you both at the loft,” Blair said.

“We can call. We call Grampa all the time,” Max confessed.

Jim was the first to get over the shock. “You do?”

“Yeah, we check in with him a couple of times a week. He’s a cool dude. We like having a grampa,” Max divulged.

“I’m glad you do. You’re better then I am,” Jim admitted.

“So back to the orchard, is anyone excited about all of the fresh air and sunshine?” Blair wondered.

“I am,” Jim answered.

“You mean that seriously?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, this is a nice peaceful drive. We haven’t had a lot of peace with what’s going on at work, so this is very nice, Blair. And my senses could seriously use some fresh air and sunshine, that’s for sure.”

Max smiled and said, “He just said you had a good idea, Blair. I wish we had a tape recorder.”

“Very funny,” Jim said sternly but didn’t mean it that way at all. He was smiling.

“Thank you, Jim. I’m glad that you think it’s a good idea. I think it’ll be good for you to get out in the Orchard. I can’t wait to see what type of fruit they have,” Blair said excitedly.

“I can’t wait for the apple crisp you’re going to make,” Jim joked.

Blair pulled into a beautiful area and he and Jim just took in the beauty for a few moments. “It’s beautiful here, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is. Did we bring bags for the fruit?” Jim asked suddenly thinking of them.

“I have the save the earth bags in my trunk. Not to worry,” Blair assured them all.

Blair parked next to a lot of other cars and they all got out.

This nice looking woman walked up to them and said, “Hi, I’m Annie. Is this your first time, here?”

“Yes, we’ve never been before,” Blair answered.

“Well the first ten trees here are apple and then the orange trees are past that, the peach trees past that and finally the pear trees are in the corner of my property. It takes a good two hours to find everything you need,” Annie said.

“Let’s all get our bags and we’ll get started,” Blair said as he opened the back end of the SUV. They all grabbed four bags each and went back to Annie again.

“Do we pay ahead of time, or when we’re done?” Blair asked.

“When you’re done. I only deal in cash. That’s the major drawback. No credit cards or debit cards. As you can see, I have no electric out here. I like it like that,” She said as she walked back to her little booth by the side of the road.

Jim and Blair decided they would start at the back and work their way up to the front.

The boys walked ahead and they went as far as they could go until they saw some pears on the ground. “I found the pear trees,” Max called out.

“Chief, it’s beautiful out here. This was an excellent idea. Thank you,” Jim said as he leaned in for a quick kiss.

“You are most welcome. I’m so glad you agreed to come. Thank you for that,” Blair replied.

They started picking some really nice hard pears. Blair wanted them hard so they would last longer. They got enough for a week or more. They then moved on to the peach trees.

“Wow, the smell is out of this world, Chief. I’m opening up my senses and it’s like the best thing I’ve ever done,” Jim said happily, making Blair very happy at the same time.

They picked out some nice hard peaches and some that were already ripe. That way Blair could make some peach crisp too.

Max and Drew walked ahead of Jim and Blair and talked about school things as they chose the fruit they wanted.

“Blair, this was really a good idea. It’s nice out here,” Max said admiring the views.

“I’m so glad you all like it here. I was so hoping it would be a good experience,” Blair said.

“Hey Jim, are you missing Nascar?” Max teased.

“Not at all, Max. This is much better. I’m having a wonderful time. Jim sat under the peach tree while they all filled up their bags. His sense of smell was completely open and he was in heaven. He wished he could share that with all of them, but knew he couldn’t so he just kept the happiness he felt to himself.

Max said, “Let me take these back to the SUV and put them there until we get done, otherwise we’re going to have too much to carry.”

“Good thinking, Max,” Blair said.

Max and Drew took six bags full back to the SUV and put it on the hood. Then they headed back for more.

“I love fresh oranges, I can’t wait to see if they’re any good,” Jim said.

“Look how huge they are, Jim. Peel one and tell me if they’re good. I’ve never seen oranges this size.”

Jim peeled one and broke up the pieces and stuck it in his mouth and smiled. Then he moaned in appreciation. He fed one to Blair and then when Drew and Max got back, they each had some of it. It was huge.

“That’s the best darn orange I’ve ever had,” Max admitted.

“Let’s get two bags of these. We can use them for fresh orange juice when they start turning,” Blair suggested.

“They all began choosing the ones they wanted and then Max and Drew took those bags back to the SUV too.

“They’re saving us a lot of energy and time,” Jim acknowledged.

“They sure are. They’re such good boys, Jim. I’m really happy with them,” Blair confessed.

“I’m glad that you’re happy, Chief, because I am too. I’m not happy about Barb asking you out, however,” Jim pointed out.

“Stop with the Barb business. She just did it to bug you, I’m sure. You know what I might do with the peaches and the oranges?” Blair asked.

“What?” Jim asked.

“I’m going to make this recipe my mom gave me for Orange-peach Preserves,” Blair said cheerfully.

“The boys and I could help,” Jim said.

Max and Drew walked up and Max said, “Okay, we’re almost done.”

“Yes, all we have left are the apples and we need at least four bags of them. I’m going to do some baking and you three are going to help me,” Blair instructed.

They all picked out four bags of fantastic apples and went to pay Annie. Once Jim had done that, they loaded all of the fruit into the back of the SUV.

“Would you all come here with me again?” Blair asked.

“We could make a habit of it for all I care. I loved it here. Thank you for bringing us, Blair,” Drew said.

“Yeah, thank you, Blair,” Max agreed.

“You are most welcome. Jim had a good time too, so it was a hit. We’ll make it an every other Sunday custom. How does that sound?” Blair suggested.

“I think it sounds just great. I can’t wait to see what we’re going to do with all of this fruit,” Max commented.

“We’re going to be busy making Preserves and apple crisp and maybe even peach crisp. We could make some up for Major Crimes too. They would all love some homemade goodies,” Blair said.

“Blair, I would like to learn to make the meatloaf too, because we all love that. I could then make it some night when you guys have to work late,” Drew suggested.

“That would be great, Drew. I look forward to teaching you. Wait until you see how easy it is to make,” Blair said.

The drive home was uneventful with Drew and Max telling Jim and Blair about school things. It turned out to be a fantastic Sunday.

Jim missed having his senses open as they had been in the grove. But he also knew they would be going back again.

The end

EASY APPLE CRISP

1 c. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 peeled and sliced large apples
3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. butter
Combine 1/2 c. sugar, lemon juice, water and cinnamon in bottom of small baking pan. Slice in apples. Blend remaining 1/2 c. sugar, flour, salt and butter until crumbly. Spread over apples and pat smooth.
Bake at 375°F. for 40-50 minutes, until apples are tender and crust is browned. Serve hot with ice cream. This is a good recipe for apple crisp if you don’t like the over-sugary oatmeal taste. It’s basically a rectangular apple pie, but healthier (no lard).

EASY ITALIAN MEATLOAF

2 1/2 lbs ground beef or chuck
2 large peppers, red or green, coarsely chopped
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced or pressed garlic
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/3 teaspoon oregano
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (do not substitute)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt or beef bouillon powder
2 eggs
1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup ketchup (or more as needed)
onion and garlic powder to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, combine meat, eggs, seasonings and remaining ingredients except ketchup and bacon, adding breadcrumbs to mixture last. If meat is low in fat, add up to 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well.
Press meat into a loaf shaped pan, forming a dome shape. Brush top with ketchup and sprinkle with onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover with bacon slices. Baste occasionally with additional ketchup during cooking, being careful not to allow oven to get cold or additional cooking time will be required. If desired, cover with thinly sliced onions.
Bake uncovered 1 1/2 hours.
Variation: Substitute your favorite barbeque sauce for basting.

PEACH AND ORANGE PRESERVES

30 peaches
3/4 measure (c.) of sugar to each full c. of peaches
8 oranges
1 bottle maraschino cherries
Pare and cut 30 peaches. Add 3/4 measure of sugar to each full measure of peaches. Let stand 1 hour. Add 8 oranges, pared and cut, to peaches. Add juice and cherries from 1 bottle red maraschino cherries. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Put into glasses and seal or cover with paraffin.

Family Life Part 13
Dreams
By Patt

Word Count: 3,114 For anyone who loves Carolyn, you might want to skip this one. I was in an I Hate Carolyn mood.

Jim woke up to a sound he didn’t like. Blair was in the middle of a nightmare and it didn’t sound good. He kept saying, “No, no, no.” Jim patted him gently on the shoulder and said, “Chief, wake up for me.”

Blair opened his eyes and said, “What?”

“You were having a nightmare. What’s going on, babe?” Jim asked.

“I have no idea,” Blair whispered as he snuggled in closer to Jim and fell back to sleep.

Jim noticed that he seemed to be all right. His heart rate wasn’t elevated or anything, so maybe he really didn’t know what the dream was about. Jim held him close and listened to Blair’s deep breathing and within minutes was fast asleep himself.

For the next week, every night Blair had a nightmare that he said he didn’t remember. Jim knew it was time to talk to him about it.

After the guys left that morning for school, Jim said, “Chief, sit down here at the table, I want to talk to you.”

“Oh man, I know that look. You’re worried about my nightmares. Well, so am I because I don’t remember them at all,” Blair explained.

“You mean to tell me you don’t remember anything of your dreams?” Jim inquired.

“I remember that I dreamed we were fucking the other morning and we did when I woke up, so that was cool. But other then that, no, I don’t remember anything,” Blair stated seriously.

“Blair maybe something is bothering you,” Jim said.

“I’m sure it is, but until I remember, I have no choice but to just ride them out. I’m sure one of these days, I’ll remember something,” Blair said.

“Chief, you know you can talk to me about anything, right?”

“Jim, we’re fine. Stop worrying so much. Everything will be all right. Now I’m going to jump in the shower and get ready for work,” Blair commented as he grabbed his clean clothes that were in a pile on the table.

Jim was seriously worried about Blair. First of all, he wasn’t sleeping as much at night these days and Jim didn’t care what Blair said, he knew something. He was worried about something.

Blair got into the shower and sighed. He didn’t know how much longer he could keep doing this. He was exhausted from trying to stay awake at night instead of waking Jim up. All he was doing was feeding the damn nightmares. They were always the same. Jim was leaving Blair and didn’t know how to tell him. He was going back to Carolyn and he left the loft to Blair and the boys, which is nice, but Blair wanted Jim too. He didn’t want to lose him. Why was he dreaming about Carolyn?

When Blair came walking out of the bathroom, ready for work, Jim frowned at him. “I know you know about the dreams. Why aren’t you talking to me about it?”

“What are you talking about?” Blair asked.

“Chief, your heart rate doubled while you were in the shower. I happen to know from sense of smell that it was fear, not sex,” Jim almost shouted.

“Fine, I’ll tell you and I don’t want you teasing me at all,” Blair said.

“I promise, I won’t tease you,” Jim answered.

“It’s Carolyn. She wants you back in the dreams and you agree to it,” Blair blurted out quickly, to get it over with.

Jim burst out laughing and said, “I’m sorry. I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing at the idea of me and Carolyn being together. She’s not too happy with me these days.”

“Why?” Blair questioned.

“Because I’m gay. She believes that I screwed around on her while we were married and of course I never did, but she won’t believe me,” Jim said honestly.

“Then why am I dreaming these dreams of her and you getting together?” Blair asked.

“Actually, she’s in town and called me yesterday about getting together for dinner one night. But I forgot to mention it to you. It slipped my mind,” Jim explained.

“This just slipped your mind? No wonder I’m having the dreams,” Blair barked.

“Just a minute, here. You think I would screw around on you with my ex-wife?” Jim looked totally hurt and upset.

“Why else am I having the dreams? I’m a Shaman after all, maybe I can sense it,” Blair said.

“You can’t sense shit, Blair. I can’t believe you think I would be that low as to fuck my ex-wife while I’m with you. That is a new low, even for you, Sandburg.”

“You explain the dreams then,” Blair dared Jim.

“I have no idea, but it’s not because I want to sleep with my ex-wife,” Jim said angrily.

“We’re going to be late for work,” Blair said as he grabbed his jacket to leave.

“We’re not leaving here until this is figured out. First of all, I told Carolyn that I would take her to dinner tomorrow night. I don’t want you worrying and upsetting the kids. They don’t need that shit. I don’t need that shit,” Jim growled.

“Why didn’t you tell me about Carolyn?” Blair asked.

“I forgot. We got busy playing cards with the kids last night and it slipped my mind. I honestly didn’t think about it. But if it’s going to upset you this much, I’ll cancel the plans,” Jim offered.

“No, go out to eat. It’s just my over-active imagination. I’m sorry I have you this upset over a dream. I’m sorry, okay?” Blair said.

“Chief, I love you more then life itself. You know that much, right? I wouldn’t jeopardize our relationship for Carolyn. Do you believe me?” Jim asked point blank.

“Yes, I believe that you wouldn’t hurt me on purpose,” Blair replied.

“That’s not a good enough answer, you either trust me or you don’t,” Jim snapped.

“I don’t trust her. She still loves you, Jim. Anyone in their right mind would want you back,” Blair said.

Jim stopped his yelling when Blair said that and hugged him to his chest. “God, I love you. You say the best things. I’m so pissed off, and yet you make me feel like a million bucks. I do love you and wouldn’t do anything to hurt us,” Jim assured him.

“Okay, then go to dinner with her and then come home to me,” Blair said sweetly.

“I can do that, Chief.”

They kissed once more and then got ready to go to work.

~~~~~

“Hey, how come there are only three places at the table tonight?” Max asked Blair.

“Jim is going out to eat dinner with his ex-wife. She’s in town from San Francisco. So it’s just going to be the three of us,” Blair explained.

Max frowned for a moment and then smiled. “He’ll be home tonight though, right?”

Drew said, “Of course he’ll be home tonight.”

“Drew is right. He’ll be home after dinner,” Blair guessed.

“We can play some cards tonight to pass the time if you’d like,” Max offered.

“That’s a good idea. We’ll play after you finish your homework,” Blair said sounding just like the parent he was.

“We’re done with our homework, so you don’t have to worry about that. Do you need any help with dinner?” Max asked.

“Nope, everything is ready. Let’s sit down and eat,” Blair said.

They ate a nice dinner with Drew talking non-stop during most of it. He had a good day at school and was filling Blair in on it. Blair missed Jim being there to hear the tales. Who was he kidding? He missed Jim, period.

Once dishes were done, they washed the table off and got busy playing cards.

~~~~~

Jim had a nice dinner with Carolyn. They talked about her job in California and his there in Cascade and the night was flying by. Jim had only one glass of wine, but felt like he had more. His feet were very heavy and his eyes felt like they wanted to close on their own. If he didn’t know better, he would wonder if there was a drug in the food. He snickered to himself when he thought about that, but then realized that he was seeing two of Carolyn. Something was off.

“Carolyn, I need to go home, I don’t feel well,” Jim said urgently.

“It’s the wine. It’s going to my head too. Let’s go upstairs and we’ll wait until it wears off,” Carolyn said.

Jim got up, swayed a little and Carolyn went under his armpit and held him up and led him to the elevator. Once they were on the elevator, he said, “I feel really bad, Carolyn. I need to call Blair.”

“Let me get you something to help,” Carolyn said as she pushed him towards the door of her room.

Once inside, she helped him lie on the bed and he looked totally helpless. She smiled evilly and said, “How do you feel now, Jimmy?”

“I’ll be back in a minute,” Jim said and rushed for the bathroom. He locked the door when he got on the other side and slid down to the floor. He pulled out his cell and called Blair.

“Hi there, what’s up?” Blair asked happily, glad to hear his voice.

“She drugged me. I’m in the bathroom of her room right now. Come and get me, please?” Jim pleaded.

“Okay, where are you?” Blair asked.

“Cascade Towers, room 205. Hurry, Chief,” Jim said in earnest.

Blair closed his cell and called Simon. He filled Simon in on what had happened and Simon said he would meet him there.

Blair told the boys to wait up for them and he’d be back as soon as possible. He knew they were scared for Jim. Blair was scared for Jim.

Carolyn knocked on the door and said, “Jimmy, I need to use the bathroom.”

Jim unlocked the door, against his better judgment, because he had none at the moment and she was in his arms within seconds, kissing and touching him. His senses were in overdrive and he found himself hard. What the hell?

She started trying to strip Jim of his clothes and he said, “No.”

“Oh Jimmy, you know you want it as badly as I do.”

“No…” Jim said loudly this time.

There was a knock at the door and Carolyn went to answer it and saw Simon and Blair standing there. “What do you want?”

Simon pushed her aside and said, “Jim called and asked for help.”

Simon found Jim leaned over the toilet, throwing up everything he had eaten for dinner.

“He’s just sick. He had too much wine and it went to his head,” Carolyn spat out.

“Then why did he say you drugged him?” Simon asked.

“Simon, I’ve never had to drug a date before. Jim was here because he wanted to be, believe me,” Carolyn said cruelly.

“You’re a fucking liar, Carolyn and we’ll see what Jim says when he gets out here,” Blair said as he rushed in to tend to his lover.

“Ask him how he felt kissing me and touching me?” Carolyn called out.

Blair was seething, but also knew that Jim was drugged, he couldn’t be blamed. Blair washed Jim’s face with a cold wash cloth and then helped him stand up to leave.

Simon said, “Jim, do I need to arrest her?”

“Let’s forget the entire night ever happened,” Jim said angrily. “I don’t ever want to see you again, Carolyn.”

“Oh Jimmy, grow up. You think he doesn’t know? You think he’s going to believe you didn’t get hard for me? Ask him, Sandburg. Ask him how he was feeling right before you knocked on the door?”

“Carolyn, it doesn’t matter what he did or how he acted. He was drugged, you stupid bitch. If I had my way, you’d be in jail right now.”

“Believe what you want, Sandburg, but he’s going to wake up and remember he wanted me. It’s never going to be the same for you again,” She said with laughter in her voice.

Blair realized that she had done exactly what she had planned. She didn’t want sex; she just wanted to screw up Jim and him. Well, it wasn’t going to work this time.

“Go fuck yourself, Carolyn, because no one else would have you,” Blair said as he walked Jim out of the room.

Simon looked disgustedly at Carolyn and said, “What was the plan? Did you win something?”

“I told him he would get hard for me, because he wanted me and he did. Now Sandburg has to live with that. Things will never be the same again,” Carolyn said happily.

“You are an evil bitch, Carolyn. I can’t believe you did this to him,” Simon stated.

“And I can’t believe he did what he did to me,” she spat back.

“What did he do to you?” Simon wondered.

“I’ll never be able to live it down that my husband left me for a man,” Carolyn said.

“Carolyn, he didn’t. He left you years before he met Sandburg. That had nothing to do with you. And this isn’t the first time he’s been with a guy,” Simon reminded her.

“Yes, it is. You’re lying. I knew you would take their side.”

“Carolyn, you need some help and I’m going to see that you get it,” Simon said as he called the station psychiatrist.

“You’re all so stupid,” She shouted.

“I want you to see this doctor in the morning, or I’m bringing charges against you for assaulting one of my officers. Now think about that for a while,” Simon stated before he left for the night.

~~~~~

When Jim arrived at the loft, Max and Drew were worried to death. One look at him and they were even more worried.

“It’s all right, guys. He was drugged and he’s thrown it all up, so now he just needs to sleep it off. Let’s get him upstairs,” Blair said as he half dragged Jim up the stairs with the help from Max on the other side of Jim. Once Blair stripped his clothes off, he got him into bed and Jim was sleeping, immediately.

Blair walked downstairs and sat down on the sofa. Drew and Max sat next to him and finally Drew asked, “Can we do anything for you?”

“No, we just need to let Jim sleep this off,” Blair said hopefully.

There was a small knock at the door and Blair answered it. There stood Carolyn and Blair said, “What do you want?”

“I wanted to talk to you about something very important,” she said.

“What?” Blair asked.

“Could I come in please?” Carolyn begged.

“Max and Drew, go upstairs, I need some time with Carolyn,” Blair ordered.

The two boys were gone like a rocket. But that didn’t mean they weren’t going to listen.

As soon as the boys were gone, Blair said, “What do you want?”

“Is it true that Jim had been with men before you?” Carolyn asked.

“Yes, he’s been with other men. Mostly in college and some in Vice,” Blair answered truthfully.

“Sandburg, I’m so sorry for what I did. I thought I could ruin both of your lives for ruining mine and embarrassing me. But Simon told me that you weren’t his first man. I wanted to believe that you were. I wanted to blame you. I had to blame someone and you seemed the logical choice. I’m so fucking sorry.”

“Carolyn, you drugged your ex-husband tonight. Do you realize what you’ve done?”

“Oh god, I just can’t believe I did this to Jimmy. He’s going to hate me now and probably will never want to see me again,” Carolyn whined.

“Carolyn, please don’t take this the wrong way, but fuck you. He’s not going to see you because you’re nuts. Don’t come around him again. Is that understood?”

“Yes, it’s understood. I have to see a specialist tomorrow in order to not be arrested by Simon,” Carolyn continued whining.

“And whose fault would that be, Carolyn?”

“It would be mine. I know this. Please tell him I’m sorry. I hope you’ll both forgive me some day,” Carolyn said as she walked out the front door.

Blair shut the door behind her and locked and bolted it. He didn’t trust her as far as he could throw her.

Max came down and said, “Are you all right?”

“Yes, Max, I’m fine. You boys get ready for bed. We’ll talk more about things tomorrow night. Jim is going to be sleeping most of the day tomorrow, so let’s all be very quiet in the morning,” Blair suggested.

“Works for me. We’ll go to school as usual and you can have time to talk with Jim. He’s going to be upset about this, isn’t he?” Max asked.

“He might be and then again, it might be all right. So let’s not worry about things now. We’ll wait and see what happens tomorrow. Goodnight,” Blair said as he hugged Max.

“Night, Blair,” Drew called out.

“Night, Drew. See you in the morning,” Blair said.

Once the guys were in bed, Blair shut off all of the lights and joined his lover in their bed.

In the morning, Blair woke up to Jim groaning. “Are you all right, Jim?”

“No, I feel like someone beat the shit out of me,” Jim answered.

“Do you remember last night?” Blair asked softly.

“I remember that the next time you have a dream, we’re going to fucking listen to it,” Jim said holding Blair close to him. “I haven’t lost you, have I?”

“Not even close, Jim. I love you.”

“I love you, too. Thank you for coming and getting me,” Jim said gratefully.

“Carolyn came by and apologized for her actions. She didn’t know that you had ever been with a man before me. So it was easier for her to blame me, then you. So that’s what she did and tried to break us up,” Blair explained.

“But she didn’t succeed, right?” Jim asked timidly.

“You’re stuck with me, Jim. I need you, the boys need you and you owe yourself a happy life after a life with Carolyn,” Blair said.

“She wasn’t’ always that way, Chief.”

“Doesn’t matter. We’re together, she’s not in the picture at all. Now let’s get you in the shower and then breakfast,” Blair said as he helped Jim get out of bed.

Jim knew he was with a one-in-a-million kind of guy. He was very happy about that.

Jim smiled all the way down the stairs.

The end

Family Life Part 14
Drew’s Story
By Patt

Word Count: 2,812

Drew sat in the office and thought about his homework assignment. His teacher wanted to know who he was. What he stood for and what he believed in. He didn’t know where to start. He walked out of the office and found Blair and said, “Blair, can you help me for a moment?”

“Sure, I’m always here for you,” Blair answered.

“I’m having trouble with my homework assignment. She wants to know who I am, what I believe in and what I stand for. I don’t know where to start,” Drew explained.

“Oh that will be so easy, Drew. Write it almost like you’re keeping a journal. Tell her all about you. What you do each day, what you think about each day and who is most important in your life each and every day. She doesn’t’ know anything about you, I’m sure. So you’re starting with a blank slate. It’s going to be easy, I promise,” Blair said.

“When I’m done, will you read it through and check for errors?” Drew asked.

“Certainly, I will. But I think she’s focusing on you, not the errors,” Blair assumed.

“I’ll start working on it now and maybe you could check on me in a couple of hours and see how it’s going?” Drew inquired.

“Sure, you start and I’ll give you some time to get something written before I come in,” Blair stated.

“Thanks, Blair,” Drew called out as he headed back into the office once again. He sat down in front of the computer and opened up the Word program. Once that was done, he titled his work, Drew’s Story.

My name is Drew Miller. I’m 13 years old and I’m living in a home for the first time in my life. That’s right, I’ve never had a home until seven months ago.

My parents fought a lot and used drugs and drank booze a lot too. When they weren’t hitting each other, they were yelling at each other. Did I mention that they hit us too? They belittled us daily and yelled foul things every time they had a chance. It was horrible. When they finally got sober, they both left my brother and me with the State. They said they needed a fresh start and they couldn’t do it taking care of us. So that was our first time in a foster home. We never lasted very long in any of the foster homes. They said we were trouble makers, but I like to believe that my brother and I just hadn’t found a family that fit us. We were on our way to being separated when two men came into our lives that turned our world upside down and inside out. Things would never be the same again.

Our case worker, Barb Chase called us into her office one day and said she had a couple that was willing to take both of us in. I was instantly thrilled, at not being separated but Max, my fifteen year old brother wasn’t quite as easy going as I was. He asked what the catch was. She explained to us, that they were a gay couple and had a nice place for us to stay and lived in the good school district that we wanted to be in. I wanted to give them a chance right away, but it wasn’t up to just me. I had to look out for Max, just like he looked out for me. I asked him what he thought and he thought that we would get teased at school and didn’t think we needed that right now along with everything else in our life. The couple we were living with was very mean. They hit me all the time and Max tried to stop them, but he just couldn’t. There is only so much a fifteen year old can do to help his thirteen year old brother. I reminded Max of this and he said we would think about it. So Barb told us that she would let us think about it for another week or two and then she needed an answer. We left her office and went home to get yelled at for being late and not starting dinner. That night, I ended up getting socked in the shoulder and had quite the bruise. I never really thought about it, but bruises hurt. The man that was in charge of us was so mean and so cruel that it made things impossible for us both. That night in bed Max informed me that living with two gay men would still be better then this life. He believed we might give them a chance.

The next day we called Barb from school and told her and she said she wanted us to meet them and see the place that we would be living in if we chose them over the ones that we lived with then. Barb said she would pick us up from school and take us over right away, so we could check the two men out. She said their names were Jim and Blair. Max thought Blair was sort of a girly name, but he wasn’t going to make fun of someone that might give them a home.

We went with Barb to meet Jim and Blair and found out their full names were Jim Ellison and Blair Sandburg. They’re cops and don’t even look gay. Okay, maybe a little gay, but I didn’t really care at this point. I was desperate. They didn’t look like the types to hit us. This was a good thing. They kept smiling at us and trying so hard to be nice. The house was beautiful. It was the nicest place we had ever been in our lives. We found out that we would share a room upstairs and a bathroom to ourselves too. We liked sharing a room, so this worked for us. The place was spotless, clean. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a place as clean as this was and I worried that we might be a little too messy for them. They might not like us because of the messes we would leave on a daily basis.

Max didn’t say too much, but he whispered to me and told me that if I wanted to live here, he would do it. So we told them we would stay with them. They talked about rules and we promised that we would follow them. Max assured them that we would pick up after ourselves and earn our keep. They seemed upset about that and I’m not sure why.

Barb took us back to the other house and let us pick up our few belongings and then we went back to Jim and Blair’s house. When we arrived, Barb left us and we were officially living with Jim and Blair. And you want to know what they wanted to do first thing? They wanted to take us shopping so we could get lounge wear, underwear, socks, shoes, and anything else we needed. They took us to Walmart and we shopped until we were all exhausted. It was going to be so nice going to school with new clothing on for a change. We were both wearing the same things every day for a week, before Jim and Blair. We got home and they helped us carry everything upstairs to our room and got us settled in and then just left us alone to talk.

Max didn’t want to admit it at first, but he liked them. They were both really nice guys. Oh and Blair showed us the pantry before we went upstairs, so if we got hungry during the night, we could help ourselves to anything within reason. Like I said, these guys were really nice. I told Max that night that I wanted to stay there. He said we would see, because he wasn’t sure about them yet. He’s the oldest and the smartest, so I listen to him. I tried not to like Jim and Blair as much as I did, so that I wouldn’t be so hurt when we had to leave.

The first two weeks went really well. They were normal guys. They talked to us, like they would talk to their own children if they had had any. They treated us with dignity and respect at all times and Max grew to like them as much as I did. After a month, he admitted to really liking them a lot. Then I knew I wasn’t the only one. I was so happy. I knew that we could stay here. We wouldn’t have to leave and live with anyone mean again.

We had a few problems at the school, but nothing Jim and Blair didn’t help us through. They have been excellent parents for us and we’re so glad they chose us. Most people only want little kids. They don’t want moody, pouting teens on their hands. But Jim and Blair didn’t seem to mind at all. Even when we were moody, they still liked us.

After six months, we knew we had found a home for good. We like Jim and Blair so much that we bring friends over to our home and everything. We worried about that at the beginning, but now we think it’s funny that we worried about anything when it came to Jim and Blair. They treat our friends as nicely as they treat us. Our friends think we’re the luckiest kids in the world. We have everything we could ever need. They’re right. We do have everything we need. They hug us goodnight every single night and they hug us if we’re upset too. They’re both big on hugs. This bothered Max a lot to start with, but he got over it quickly when he realized they really liked us. It wasn’t just a show put on for Barb Chase. They liked having us there. When it came right down to it, I think they might even love us. Or at least love having us there. I might just be hopeful about the love part, but Max agrees with me, he thinks they love us. That’s great, because we love Jim and Blair too.

They have their friends over for Poker night every now and then and they always treat us so well. We feel like we’re part of Jim and Blair’s family. Maybe that’s what we are. Maybe we are their family. Max and I would love that. We’ve only had each other since we were little. It’s nice to have the idea of having a grown up in our life that feels something good towards us. They don’t tell us they love us, but I think they might. Max would be embarrassed if they told him, but I wouldn’t. I’m crazy about both of them. They make us so happy all the time and never ask for anything in return. Okay, I’ll be truthful. I’m not just crazy about them, I love them. So does Max, but he probably wouldn’t ever admit it. The day Jim and Blair came into our lives is the day we were saved.

You want to know who is most important in my life? I used to only have one person there, but now I have three. Jim and Blair are our fathers and we’re proud to be their sons. I think about them every day and I don’t want to ever have any other type of life. This one is perfect.

My dreams are to finish school, go to college and then teach. I want to be a teacher so that I can reach children like Jim and Blair did. Jim told us about a month ago that he’s set aside a college fund, so we don’t have to worry when we get college age and want to go. Did I mention how perfect our life is?

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve all had disagreements, but they have always worked out in the end. Jim and Blair are always there to help us through anything that comes up.

I adore my brother Max. He saved me for so many years, that I could never thank him enough. But now, I see him relaxed at our home and feel good that he’s letting his guard down and letting Jim and Blair into his heart. He’s a really great guy and I’m thrilled that Jim and Blair think so too.

What do I believe in? I believe in happy endings. I believe in finding love in the oddest places. I believe that two men can love you just as easily as a couple can. I believe in trusting my brother to no end and now I trust Jim and Blair too.

This is who I am. Drew Miller, son of Jim Ellison and Blair Sandburg and proud of it. I’m going to be with them forever in their hearts and in their lives. I’m so glad that we gave them a chance, because they rescued us. We’re alive because of our foster parents. Not too many foster kids can say this. I’m very grateful that we chose them and they chose us.

This is who I am and what I believe in. I hope you’ll know me a little better now and know what my life is like.

~~~~~

Drew finished up his paper and said, “Jim and Blair, will you read my paper and tell me if it’s good enough for the teacher?”

“Sure we will,” Jim said getting up and heading into the office. Blair sat in the chair next to Jim’s and they began to read the story.

Drew went and got a snack and a drink of milk. Max came down and said, “Where are Jim and Blair?”

“They’re in reading my homework and hopefully, it’ll be all right. I’d hate to have to start over again,” Drew said.

“I’m sure it’s fine, kiddo. You worry too much. Wait and see, they’ll say they love it. Betcha,” Max teased.

“I hope so, because I put my heart and soul into it,” Drew confessed.

“Your heart and soul?” Max asked.

“Yes, I told them exactly how I feel about them in my paper. So now they’ll know how I feel,” Drew said anxiously.

“What did you tell them?” Max asked nervously.

“I told them that I loved them,” Drew admitted.

“Oh, that’s all? Okay, I thought you meant something bad. I think they already knew that, buddy,” Max assured Drew.

Jim and Blair came out of the office with red rimmed eyes.

Max said, “Are you all right?”

Jim hugged Drew and said, “I love you too.”

Blair hugged him next and said, “I do love you, Drew. Never ever wonder about it again.”

Max just stood there and said, “I love you guys too.”

Jim smiled and hugged Max and said, “I think we knew, but it’s nice to hear it. I love you too.”

“Thank you, Max for admitting something so close to home,” Blair said.

“Drew, your paper is perfect, just the way it is. Your teacher will love it and she’ll understand you much better from now on,” Jim declared.

“Yes, I agree, it’s perfect,” Blair said.

“Do I get to read it?” Max asked.

“It’s personal,” Drew answered quickly.

“I know you love me, Drew. What could be more personal than that?” Max wondered.

“Fine, read it. But I’m not changing a thing,” Drew vowed.

Max hugged Drew and walked into the office to read the paper.

After about 30 minutes, Max walked out and said, “Blair, I’m sorry I thought your name was girly.”

“That’s what you got out of it?” Blair asked.

“No, I think he did a bang up job, but I wanted to apologize for saying that about your name,” Max said softly.

“I used to think his name was girly too,” Jim admitted.

All of them started laughing and they talked for another hour before everyone got ready for bed.

Jim was in bed when Blair got upstairs and Blair slid into his arms anxiously wanting to cuddle.

“I can’t believe they love us,” Jim said.

“I can. I knew it, but was afraid to talk about it.”

“I love you, Blair. Thank you for talking me into bringing them into our lives. They’re great boys,” Jim said.

“Yes, they are and they’ll become fantastic men,” Blair replied and began his cuddle session with Jim.

Jim and Blair felt like parents for the first time in their lives and it was a good feeling. They fell asleep happily.

Max and Drew fell to sleep quickly also, knowing they were loved, wanted and cared for. They were a family.

Life was good.

The end

Family Life Part 15
Still Working Things Out
By Patt

Word Count: 1,239

Jim pulled Blair into his body and Blair woke to a hard, hot cock sticking him in his butt cheek. “What are you doing?” Blair asked.

“If you have to ask, it’s been way too long,” Jim teased.

“Jim, the boys are up. I can hear them downstairs, knock it off,” Blair said sternly.

Jim pulled away and looked at Blair in disbelief. “You’re serious? I can’t make love to you because the boys are downstairs?”

“Not when they’re right below us. It’s a new rule,” Blair said getting up and getting somewhat pissed off at the conversation. He put his robe on and walked down the stairs.

Jim was still lying in bed, wondering where he had gone wrong. No sex when they boys were downstairs? This rule sucks.

Jim got up and walked down the stairs with his robe on too.

“Good morning, Jim,” Drew called out.

“Good morning, Drew.”

“Good morning, Jim,” Max followed suit.

“Good morning, Max.”

“Did you sleep well?” Drew wondered.

“I slept like a log. How about you two? Everything all right this morning?” Jim asked.

“Everything is perfect,” Drew replied.

“Good, I’m glad to hear it. Now I have to run to the bathroom or I’m going to be mopping up the floor,” Jim joked as he walked into the bathroom.

Blair was stepping out of the shower and said, “Jim, I’m not done yet.”

“Blair, I need to piss. It’s not like I’m going to jump your bones. I know the rule now and I’ll keep thoughts to myself.”

“Jim, we have to set some ground rules. The boys shouldn’t be subjected to sexual things at this point in their life,” Blair explained.

“I just got done telling you that I had to piss, I didn’t come in here for you,” Jim said as he stood before the toilet and began to pee his life away.

“Did you drink a bunch of coffee last night before bed?” Blair asked.

“What if I did?” Jim snapped back.

“Don’t get pissy with me, Jim.”

Jim finished up and washed his hands. Then he walked out of the bathroom without saying a word.

Max saw him come out of the bathroom and saw the look on Jim’s face and knew they were fighting. Max and Drew both hated when they fought.

Jim went upstairs without saying a word to the boys and lay on his bed, just looking through the skylight.

Blair came up to get dressed and said, “Are you not going to work today?”

“I’ll go when I feel like it,” Jim answered maturely.

“Grow up, Jim. You’re not a child. There have to be some rules in the house about sex. There just has to be.”

“No, Blair, there doesn’t have to be any rules. We could make them up as we go along. It wasn’t like I was going to scream, holler and moan while I made love to you. I needed you and you turned me away.”

“I guess I’ll be driving my own vehicle to work,” Blair said.

“The boys will know we’re fighting then,” Jim reminded him.

“Then get your ass out of bed and get ready for work. We have to leave in a half hour,” Blair ordered.

“Don’t you try pushing me around, Blair. I don’t like it one bit. Just go ahead and drive to work, I’ll come when I feel like it,” Jim said.

Blair walked over to the bed and sat down. “Jim, it’s going to upset the boys. Now get up.”

“I’ll get up when I’m good and ready,” Jim growled.

“Normally I like when you growl at me, but not right now. This is going to upset the boys and I thought we were the parents?” Blair pointed out.

“Fine…” Jim got out of bed, grabbed his clothes and walked downstairs and into the shower.

Blair came down the stair, with a fake smile plastered on his face. Max saw through it right away.

“What are you guys fighting about?” Max asked.

Drew looked up from the newspaper and said, “They’re fighting?”

“Yes, they’re fighting.”

“No, we’re just agreeing to disagree. We’ll be fine, Max, stop worrying,” Blair said.

“Is it about us?” Drew asked worriedly.

“No, it has nothing to do with the two of you. He’s being unreasonable and I’m being an adult,” Blair explained.

“Oh I see. It’s about sex,” Max said smiling.

“I never said it was about sex,” Blair answered.

Jim came walking out of the bathroom, all dressed and ready for work.

“Did I miss something?” Jim asked.

Drew smiled and said, “Max just said you and Blair are fighting over sex.”

Jim glared at Blair and said, “What in the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“I didn’t say a word, Max guessed it on his own,” Blair said in his defense.

“I take it Jim wanted sex, but you said no because we’re up, right?” Max asked.

Both men sat there with their mouths agape, in shock.

Drew laughed and said, “I think you’re right, Max.”

“You guys can do anything you want with us here. It’s not like we would go upstairs unannounced. Why in the world would you fight over something as simple as this?” Max asked.

Jim said, “That’s what I think.”

Blair said, “We’re the parents and we need to set some examples and having sex in the morning isn’t one of them.”

“But you could have sex in the middle of the night?” Max asked.

Jim looked over at Blair to see what he was going to say to that.

“Of course we can. But that’s not with you guys right underneath our room,” Blair said.

“It doesn’t matter to us,” Drew said happily as he grabbed his bag and got ready to leave for school.

“It really doesn’t, guys. Be yourselves and stop worrying about setting examples. You’ve set plenty of them and they’re good ones,” Max insisted.

Jim and Blair both just stared at each other like, who is the parent here?

The boys walked to the door and Max said, “Are you done fighting now?”

Blair said, “We’re done fighting.”

“Good, because we don’t want any unhappiness in this family. We’ll see you tonight after school. Have a good day, both of you.” Max hugged Jim and then Blair and walked out the door.

Drew hugged the men next and said, “Have a good day.”

Jim leaned down and kissed the top of Drew’s head and said, “We’ll try.”

Drew smiled with happiness at the little kiss on his head and went flying out the door.

“I’m sorry,” Jim said.

“So am I. The boys understand a lot more then we give them credit for. It’s sort of embarrassing to have them give ‘us’ a sex talk,” Blair said laughing.

Jim laughed and pulled Blair in for a hug and kiss. “I’ll try and do better. We’re still trying to work things out in this family, aren’t we?”

“It’s going to take years of working things out. It’s called family life. And I for one am thrilled with it,” Blair said.

“Should we go to work?” Jim asked grabbing his keys.

“Yes, and tomorrow morning, go ahead and wake me up like you like to. It’ll be fine,” Blair assured Jim.

“Oh goody,” Jim said smiling as they walked out the door.

The end

Family Life Part 16
Date Night
By Patt

Word Count: 2,461

Jim walked up to Blair in the break room and said, “How would you like to go out on a date tonight?”

“With who?” Blair teased.

Jim growled at him and said, “With me, you shit.”

“Why Mr. Ellison, are you asking me out on a date? A real date?” Blair joked some more.

“Yes, I would like to take you to Claim Jumpers tonight to make up for being such an ass this morning about sex,” Jim confessed.

“I accept. I would love to go out with you, Jim? Will I have enough time to make dinner for the guys first?” Blair asked.

“I thought I would ask my dad to come over and they could order pizza. They all like that,” Jim suggested.

“Sounds good to me. Go head and set it up. Thank you for asking,” Blair said smiling as he walked out of the room.

Conner walked in and said, “You’re such a romantic, Jimbo. Sandy is a lucky guy.”

“All right Conner, what do you want?” Jim asked.

“I need someone to work for me on Saturday. My folks are coming in and I thought it would be nice if I had the day off,” Conner said.

“You have a week off starting Sunday, right?” Jim inquired.

“Yes, but they’re coming in a day early. I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t important,” Conner pleaded.

“Yeah, I’ll work for you. Blair’s not going to be happy about it, though,” Jim replied.

“I’ll pave the way for you, Jimbo, not to worry mate.” She walked out of the room on a mission.

Jim just sighed because he was going to break it to Blair tonight over dinner. But he should have known better. She had a mind of her own. It wasn’t a good one all the time, but it was hers. Jim laughed at the little joke he was thinking about and almost ran into Joel.

“Jim, you’re just the person I was looking for. Something came up with Mary for Sunday and I could use the day off. I wondered if you could work for me on Sunday. I would work an extra day for you in exchange,” Joel pleaded.

“That’s fine. How is Mary?” Jim asked, wondering how Joel wife was. She was taken ill lately and Jim hoped she was better.

“She’s doing really well. The chemo is almost done, but Sunday is a big day of it, since it’s her last and she didn’t want to be alone,” Joel remarked.

“She’s on chemo?” Jim asked, somewhat shocked.

“That’s what they do sometimes when you have breast cancer,” Joel said softly.

“God, Joel, I had no idea. Why didn’t you tell us? What can we do for her?” Jim asked.

“She didn’t want everyone to know how bad it was at first. But now she’s doing better, so she doesn’t mind me telling anyone about her. She would love to have you visit. She’s been doing fairly well with the chemo, but still very weak. If you guys had time in the evening, she would love a visit,” Joel said happily.

“What about tomorrow night? Could we bring the boys, too?”

“That would be great. I talk about Drew and Max all the time and she would love to meet them,” Joel answered.

“Okay, we’ll come about 7:00 tomorrow night,” Jim said as he walked out the door of the break room.

He sat down and said, “Did you know that Mary had breast cancer?”

“Yeah, Joel told me she was going for chemo last month, why?” Blair wondered.

“She would like a visit from us, so I volunteered all of us to go see her tomorrow night,” Jim said.

“That’s great. I hope she’s doing well,” Blair said.

“Joel said she’s doing pretty well. And speaking of Joel, I’m working for him on Sunday. He wanted to be with Mary for her last round of chemo.”

“Okay, I’ll find something to do with the boys on Sunday. Conner said you’re working on Saturday for her, so I guess it’s just me and the boys all weekend,” Blair said.

“You’re not mad are you?” Jim asked.

“Hell no. First of all, they’ve all worked for us while we were taking off for Drew and Max. So I figure we owe them all big time. Don’t worry about me being mad, big guy. You asked me out on a date, I’m in a fucking good mood.”

“I’m glad that me asking you out still puts you in a happy frame of mind,” Jim said beaming with happiness.

Conner walked up and said, “I just heard that you’re working for Joel on Sunday, so you don’t have to work for me on Saturday.”

“It’s all right, Conner. Blair is going to spend quality time with the boys and I’ll catch up on some paperwork. Don’t worry about it, okay?” Jim said.

“If you’re sure,” she stated.

“I’m sure. Have a good time with your parents,” Jim said as he picked up his phone to call his dad.

She walked back to her desk as he dialed the number and waited for William to answer. “Ellison.”

“Hi dad, it’s Jim. I wondered if you would like to come over to our house tonight and have pizza with the boys and watch a movie. I’m taking Blair out on a date,” Jim explained.

“I would love to spend time with my grandsons. I’ll be there at about 5:00, so you don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Thank you so much, dad. We appreciate it. The guys are old enough to stay alone, but we hate doing that to them,” Jim said.

“I might take them out for ice cream and a movie tonight. I don’t know if there are any good ones for teens right now, we’ll have to check the internet when I get there,” William said.

“I’ll tell you what they’ve been talking about is buying Avatar on Blue Ray and watching it on the big screen television. Maybe you could take them to the store and let them pick one up.” Jim suggested.

“I haven’t seen that one yet, will I like it?” William inquired.

“Blair and I both loved it. It’s a good movie dad. It’s one that reaches all ages.”

“Where are you taking Blair for dinner?” William asked.

“Claim Jumper. It’s our favorite place to eat,” Jim replied.

“I love that place too. Well, we’ll see you this evening when you get home from the station,” William said.

“Thanks again, dad.”

Jim turned to Blair and said, “It’s a hot date.”

“It’s not only a date, but a hot date? Woo Hoo. Does that mean I get sex in a parking lot somewhere?” Blair whispered.

Jim blushed and said, “We’ll see.”

Blair realized there was hope for Jim Ellison yet.

They both got called out of the bullpen and working a new case made the time fly by.

~~~~~

William knocked at the door at 5:00 and it was opened by Max. “Hi grampa, what are you doing here?”

“Jim and Blair are going on a date tonight and I asked if I could come over and eat pizza with you guys and watch a movie. Jim said you wanted to buy Avatar in Blue Ray and watch that, so I stopped by the store and got it.” He reached into a bag and pulled out the movie in Blue Ray.

“Cool, grampa. Now we can watch it on the big screen television. Do Jim and Blair think that we still need a sitter?” Max asked.

“No, don’t be silly. They just don’t like you to be alone. They figure you had enough alone time all those years. They just like me spending time with you too. So you’re stuck with me,” William said.

“Actually, we really like hanging with you, so it works for all of us,” Drew said.

“Do we want to have pizza in the living room for dinner, or should we go to McDonalds or somewhere for fast food?” William asked.

“I say pizza,” Drew answered quickly.

“What about you, Max?” William questioned.

“I say pizza is it,” Max agreed.

They sat at the kitchen table and told William about their school projects and told him how they were doing with friends and things. Before long, Jim and Blair came walking in at about 6:30.

“Sorry we’re so late. We got a new case. We’re lucky we got out at all,” Blair said hanging up his jacket.

“The boys were just filling me in on their days, so the time went by quickly. You boys get ready so you can go,” William bossed.

Max and Drew laughed at him bossing Jim around.

Jim and Blair got ready to go and both came walking down the stairs in nice docker pants and polo shirts. They looked very nice. Max whistled and made Jim blush. This in turn made William laugh.

“Laugh it up, dad. We may not come home tonight,” Jim joked.

“That’s no threat. I like being with them. You need to come up with a good threat,” William teased back.

They all laughed and Jim and Blair walked to the door. Max and Drew were right behind them for hugs. William enjoyed the love that was showing between all of them. When they were done giving hugs, Jim and Blair left for the night.

“Okay, let’s order that pizza,” William said.

~~~~~

Jim got to Claim Jumper and got out and then opened the door for Blair to get out. Blair smiled at him and said, “I love you, you big lug.”

“And I love you, you sweet talker.”

They walked in and told them their name for the reservation and waited about ten minutes before they were called.

Once they were seated, Jim said, “I wanted to tell you how much you mean to me. I figured I could show you as well as tell you. I don’t give you enough attention. A lot of it goes on Max and Drew and we get forgotten. So I’m going to try and take you out once a week from now on.”

“That’s great,” Blair replied.

They ordered their meals, got their drinks and started the evening.

“You look very sexy tonight, Blair.”

Blair was taking a drink of his iced tea and choked on it. When he finished he said, “Warn a person when you’re going to say something so nice to them.”

“I wish we were alone here, so I could show you how much you mean to me,” Jim said.

“Oh my god, you’re horny. You are so fucking horny it isn’t even funny,” Blair said laughing.

“I can’t help it, you do that to me,” Jim replied.

“I’m glad that I still turn you on, babe.”

“Oh that you do,” Jim said.

They talked about work for a while, wondering if they should call and check on the new case.

“Do you feel guilty that we left it to Rafe and Brown?” Jim asked.

Blair smiled and said, “If they run into a snag, they’ll call us. Let’s just try and have a good time.”

They both got Filet Mignon and it was delicious. They talked about the boys while eating their steaks. Before long it was time for dessert and they shared a Red Velvet Cupcake. It was their favorite thing, so they shared one since both of them weren’t really hungry for dessert.

Once they were done, they paid their bill and walked out to the parking lot. Jim opened up the door for Blair and kissed him when he got inside. Blair was melting from all of this attention.

Jim went over and got in on his side and didn’t start the car up.

“Is something wrong?” Blair asked.

Jim pushed Blair all the way over to Blair’s side of the SUV, so Jim would have working room.

“What are you doing?” Blair asked.

“If you have to ask, it’s been way too long,” Jim said as he unzipped Blair’s jeans.

“Jim, we’re in the fucking parking lot of Claim Jumpers,” Blair exclaimed.

Jim pulled Blair’s cock out and put his mouth over it and Blair moaned. “Jim, there are people in the parking lot walking around. They’re going to see us.”

Jim didn’t care. He continued to suck and chew on Blair until Blair was getting into it, big time. Blair saw a man coming over to the car next to Jim and Blair’s and looked at Blair oddly. Thankfully they were up high enough that he couldn’t see what Jim was doing to him.

“There’s a guy next to us, wondering why I’m sitting in the SUV all by myself.”

Jim ignored Blair’s comments and just kept sucking away. Blair put his hand on Jim’s head and started pushing Jim’s head in time with him thrusting into Jim’s mouth. “Oh god, here comes a lady. Oh god, here she comes. She’s looking at me. Oh god, I’m going to come.” And just like that, he shot his warm come down Jim’s inviting throat.

Blair finally got his breathing under control and petted Jim, who was still in his lap, licking his cock.

“Okay, that was possibly the sexiest thing you have ever done. I’m blown away by it. Oh yeah, I was blown away. Good one, Sandburg.”

Jim snickered from Blair’s lap and said, “I like it here. It’s warm and cozy.”

“Well, I’m getting lonely sitting up here all by myself. So come on up,” Blair said pulled Jim away from his lap.

“I love you, Blair.”

“I know you do. You didn’t need to give me parking lot sex to show me,” Blair kidded.

“I don’t tell you enough. I don’t ever want you to think you’re not the main person in my life, because you are. Without you, I would be lost,” Jim said kissing Blair’s soft, sexy lips.

“All right, you’re getting my motor running too fast. Before long you’re going to have to fuck me in the back seat,” Blair joked.

“I could do that. We have lotion in the glove box,” Jim said seriously.

“No, I was joking. I want you at home, in our bed. Okay?” Blair asked.

“Okay.”

“Jim, thank you for the night out. It means the world to me to know that you love me this much.”

“You are most welcome. We need to spend a little more time alone, just the two of us,” Jim decided.

“Let’s get home so we can get the guys out of the way and we can make mad passionate love all night long,” Blair suggested.

“Okay,” Jim said happily as he started the SUV and buckled himself in his seatbelt.

Blair did the same and smiled over at his lover. He was one lucky son-of-a-bitch. Thank goodness for that.

The end

Family Life Part 17
Secrets
By Patt

Word Count: 2,589

Drew and Max left for school and Jim said, “I think we might have a small problem.”

“What?” Blair asked.

“They were whispering upstairs and were talking about keeping something from us,” Jim said, ashamed on one hand for listening and worried on the other.

“Why did you have to listen to them? They need some privacy. Why couldn’t you give them so privacy?”

“Because they were whispering. That’s like waving a red flag in front of my face,” Jim admitted.

“Jim, I’m sure it’s nothing bad,” Blair assured him.

“If it wasn’t bad, they wouldn’t have said they had to keep it from us, would they?” Jim asked point blank.

“Let’s just see if anything happens. I don’t want to blame them for something they didn’t do. And we sure don’t want to have them think they can’t talk in their own home,” Blair advised.

“You’re right. I’m probably just being paranoid. Let’s see if I notice anything else odd in the next few days,” Jim said.

“Jim, try not to listen to them. It’s none of our business. If there was something wrong, I’m sure they would come to us,” Blair replied.

“Okay, we’ll do things your way. I just hope they’re all right,” Jim agreed.

~~~~~

The next three days were uneventful. For Jim, anyhow.

Blair didn’t ask Jim if he noticed anything was off, because Blair knew that something was going on. He noticed them whispering and having secrets. Blair wasn’t used to that, and found he didn’t like it much. He also didn’t like not trusting them.

Finally on the fifth day, Blair said, “Can you hear them?”

“Yeah, why?” Jim asked.

“They’re sneaking around doing something and it’s becoming annoying to me. You were right, there is something going on,” Blair commented.

“Wait a minute. You told me to cool my jets and stop listening to them and you’re still listening?” Jim asked, somewhat peeved.

“I couldn’t help it. There is definitely something going on. I’m not sure I want to know, but I think it involves other kids,” Blair guessed.

“Blair, they’re good kids. You told me to trust them and that’s what I’m doing. I truly believe that they’re just being kids. Kids have secrets sometimes that they don’t want to share with adults.”

“I shared everything with my mom,” Blair confessed.

“Not all of us are like you, Blair. Give them a break. You’ve got to stop watching and listening to their talks. Leave them alone,” Jim suggested strongly.

“If they get in trouble, it’s on your head,” Blair said washing his hands of the whole mess.

Jim almost laughed. Almost being the keyword. Blair needed to calm down a little and let things run as they needed to. Jim was sure things would be fine.

~~~~~

The phone rang in the bullpen that afternoon and Blair answered, “Sandburg?”

“Blair, this is Max. Do you know what time you’re going to be home tonight?”

“Hi Max. No, we just got a new case and we might be late. There are tv dinners in the freezer for the two of you, go ahead and heat them up for dinner, okay?”

“Okay, so you won’t be home till late?” Max asked once again.

Blair was getting edgy with the questions. “Yes, it’ll be late,” Blair answered.

“Tell Jim I said hello. We’ll see you when you get home then,” Max said before he hung up the phone.

Jim smiled and said, “Max, huh?”

“Yeah, he needed to know when we’re going to be home. Why do you think that is?” Blair asked.

“Maybe because he’s just wondering about dinner,” Jim suggested.

“Maybe, but he sounded funny, Jim. I think something is wrong,” Blair said seriously.

“We have a lot of work to do on this case, so maybe we could worry about the boys later on tonight. We’ll try and get everything done as quickly as possible, so we can check on the boys. Better yet, why don’t I call my dad and ask him to check on them?”

Blair perked right up and said, “That would be great.”

Jim dialed his father’s phone number and got the answering machine. Jim hung up and called his dad’s cell phone and it went right to voice mail. “My dad seems to be unavailable. Sorry about that.”

“It was the thought that counted. I’m sure things are just fine,” Blair said trying to convince himself more than anyone.

Jim and Blair went with Rafe, Brown, Conner and Joel and checked out the crime scene. There were a lot of leads that Jim found, but there were a lot that the others found too. They logged everything in their book and took pictures of everything. Dan Wolfe showed up to see when the bodies had been killed. Everyone moved aside so Dan could get his work done.

This was a messy one. There were four bodies in all and no one had heard a thing. None of the neighbors had heard the gunshots or the commotion. The apartment was totally trashed, so it had to have been noisy. Not one damn witness to fall back on. This was going to be a hard one to prove.

Jim started making a list of the victims, how they would have known each other and if they had come there often. It was very violent, so someone pissed someone else off.

Dan turned to Joel and said, “They’ve been dead for two to five hours. They were all shot execution style and there are no defensive wounds on anyone. So I would guess, he or she was very fast with the gun. Since no one heard anything, I would also guess there was a silencer on the gun. What do you all think?”

Joel said, “I agree with you. Looks like a mob hit to me.”

Conner scratched her head and said, “Maybe they just want us to think it’s a mob hit. Maybe it’s something else completely.”

“We’ve got to do all of the notifications of family, so let’s head back to the station and get the list of family members for all of these people,” Joel suggested.

Everyone left the mess for the lab boys to take care of. They were going to be busy trying to find prints that didn’t belong to the victims.

~~~~~

Everyone was looking up one of the people’s family members when Jim heard Blair sigh very loudly.

“Chief, what is it?”

“One of the victims was married to Larry Miller, uncle of Drew and Max Miller. We’ve got to go and find him now,” Blair said.

“Holy shit…I wonder if he had anything to do with it,” Jim said.

“Let’s get an address on him and find out,” Blair said. He wrote down an address and asked Rafe and Brown to go with them to check him out.

The four of them went to the apartment and knocked on the door. Larry Miller opened the door and said, “What do you want?”

“We need to know if you know Beverly Miller,” Blair said casually.

“Sure, I know her, she’s my fucking wife,” Larry shouted.

“There is no reason to raise your voice, sir. We have some bad news, you might want to sit down,” Rafe said.

“What? What happened to the dumb bitch? She was supposed to be here when I got home from work this morning, but she wasn’t. Where is she?” Larry yelled some more.

Brown said, “Calm down, Mr. Miller or we’ll put you in cuffs.”

“Oh man, I should have known you were cops. Where the fuck is she and what did she do this time?” Larry asked, more quietly this time.

“She was murdered, sir,” Jim said casually.

“What do you mean she was murdered? When I left for work, she was fine and she was here. That was only eight hour or so ago. You must have the wrong woman’s name,” Larry assured them.

“We have a picture, sir, would you care to identify her if she’s your wife?” Jim held up one of the pictures from the site and Larry’s breath was taken in quickly.

“Oh my god. She was just here last night. I swear to you, she was,” Larry said, sounding very convincing to all of them.

“We need a number for your work and we’re going to call and see if you left at any time,” Blair said.

“You have to use your id card to get from any of the rooms and they keep track of everyone that way. I never left. I can’t believe it. Where was she?” Larry asked, looking upset now that he knew.

Jim told him the address and said, “Do you know anyone there?”

“Of course I do. It’s my brother’s house, but she wouldn’t have been there. He’s a fucking drug dealer. You must have the wrong information on the address,” Larry assured them.

“What is your brother’s name?” Blair asked.

“Todd. Todd Martin is his name. He wouldn’t have had anything to do with it either,” Larry said.

“He had a different last name then you?” Jim asked.

“Yes, he had a different father. Why do you ask?” Larry wondered where all of this was going.

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but he was murdered along side your wife,” Blair explained.

“Shit, I knew he was going to get in trouble some day from selling those damn drugs. I don’t have any idea why my wife was there,” Larry said.

“Well, we’re going to find out who did this and why she was there. Maybe she had a drug problem?” Blair guessed.

“She might have. Can you always tell?” Larry asked.

Jim shrugged and said, “You never know, sir. Do you have anyone that you would like to call?”

“I don’t have anyone. My only other sibling is in prison for drug dealing. He’s Thomas Miller. But I know he’s still in prison because he calls all the time and asks for money,” Larry informed them.

“Again, we’re sorry for your loss. The bodies won’t be released for awhile. When they are ready, someone will call you from the morgue to set up arrangements for burial,” Rafe said.

“I can’t believe she’s not here. Who’s going to make my dinner every day?” Larry asked no one in particular.

Jim and Blair just shook their head and left the man to grieve. If you could call that grieving.

By the time, they got back to the station house it was almost five. Simon asked, “Why don’t all of you pick it up tomorrow? Maybe you’ll have some thoughts about the case while you’re home eating dinner.”

The men all typed up their reports and put them on Simon’s desk before they left for the day. By the time Jim and Blair were done it was almost seven.

“Oh before I forget, Max called looking for the two of you. He wondered if you were still here. I told him you’d be awhile yet,” Simon stated.

Blair went back to worrying again. Jim just sighed when he saw the look on Blair’s face.

~~~~~

When they arrived home, Blair said, “I say we talk to the boys tonight and ask them what’s up.”

“I say we leave them alone and let them come to us if they have trouble,” Jim replied.

“Do we tell them about their uncle and aunt being killed? I mean, what if they knew them well?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, we should tell them as soon as possible. They might want to help the uncle that’s still alive,” Jim said, not really meaning it.

“Let’s go up there and talk to them,” Blair remarked.

They walked up the stairs and Jim said, “They’re cooking dinner, it smells like meatloaf. We didn’t have any meatloaf tv dinners in the freezer did we?”

“No. That’s weird. Maybe they cooked,” Blair said as he used his key to open the door.

Max and Drew were standing there holding a big banner that said, “Happy Anniversary, Jim and Blair.”

Jim looked around and saw that the table was set for the four of them and dinner smelled delicious.

“What do you mean happy anniversary?” Blair asked.

“We’ve been here for eight months today. We thought we should celebrate with you guys,” Max explained.

“That’s so nice. Thank you, boys,” Jim said hugging both of them.

“Is that what all the sneaking around was for?” Blair asked happily.

“Yeah, we were afraid you two would figure it out. Are you hungry?” Drew asked.

“Yes, but we have something to tell you first. Did you know you had an aunt named Beverly Miller married to your uncle named Larry Miller?” Jim asked.

“No, I’ve never heard of them,” Max answered.

Drew said, “I think dad said something once about his no good brother named Larry once. But we never met him or her. Why?” Drew wondered.

“She was killed tonight and so was another uncle named Todd Martin. Have you ever met him?” Blair inquired.

“No, I would have remembered the name Todd. We’ve never heard of him. What did they die of?” Max questioned.

They were both murdered. That’s our new case,” Jim said.

“Well, we never met them, so I guess we can’t help anyone out,” Drew said.

“Do you want to think about all of this before we eat dinner?” Jim asked.

“No, we’re fine. We didn’t even know them. And besides you’re our only family now,” Drew answered.

“What he said,” Max agreed.

They all got washed up for dinner and sat down and talked about what sneaks they had turned in to. Blair made jokes about it, but Jim knew he felt bad for accusing them of doing something wrong.

Dinner was nice. The boys did an excellent job with dinner and they did all the cleaning up afterwards. Jim and Blair realized that they were happy to come home to this type of stuff anytime.

~~~~~

That night in bed, Jim said, “Do you feel bad for not trusting them?”

“Oh yeah. I feel like shit about it. You were calm and stayed cool the entire time, why is that?” Blair asked.

“Because I heard them planning the party. I didn’t want to spoil it for you. That’s why I didn’t say anything to you about it.”

“You asshole,” Blair socked Jim good naturedly in the arm.

“Sorry, Chief.”

“Do we need to have Larry Miller meet the boys?” Blair switched gears so fast that Jim was dizzy for a moment.

“No, we don’t. They haven’t met him before now, I don’t see any reason behind it. Besides if they wanted to meet him, they could have asked us tonight. I don’t think they’re interested,” Jim assured Blair.

“Then I’m not going to worry about it. We’ll just stay busy working the case and go from there,” Blair said.

“Goodnight Chief.”

“Goodnight Jim.”

They fell quickly into a deep slumber and didn’t wake up until the next morning. They knew they were going to be busy with the case and hated leaving the boys so much, but knew it couldn’t be helped.

Jim asked them if they wanted to go to the funeral and both boys looked at him like he had two heads.

Jim and Blair had nothing to worry about. Jim was glad that there were no more secrets that Drew and Max were keeping.

The end

Family Life Part 18
Feelings
By Patt

Word Count: 2,338

Blair sat down on his bed for some peace and quiet and began to write in his journal.

Thursday, June 3

How do I feel about being a family man? I’ll tell you how I feel. I feel like it’s the best thing that ever happened in my life and I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world. I often wonder if I brow beat Jim into this life, but he honestly seems happy. I hope he is. At any rate, I’m happier then I’ve ever been in my life.

These boys are so cool, we just love them. No, I don’t know if Jim loves them or not because I’ve never asked him how he feels, but I love them. They mean the world to me and I hope they’ll be with us until we’re old and gray.

I wonder sometimes how they feel about being stuck with two guys that are gay. They don’t seem to mind, but you have to wonder about it. You just have to. I wouldn’t want them to feel uncomfortable in any way, but at the same time, I love having them here and don’t want anything to change. I like the four of us. We make a good family.

Even William has really come around to our gay lifestyle. I think he thought he would never get grandsons from Jim and he’s so thrilled, that he wouldn’t ever complain. Neither would I if I was him. William is lucky he got two teens that are so nice instead of two that were mouthy and moody. Some teens only can be loved by their parents, they are so evil. We lucked out. These guys are great kids for grandkids and for kids. No complaints from any of us. My mother even loves them, even though she thinks that we should have taken in younger kids so we could mold them. She always makes it sound like they’re Jell-o or something.

I’ve been watching Jim lately and I think he’s happy in this new life. He smiles a lot at work, even Conner notices. I like that he’s smiling and likes things the way they are. I wouldn’t want to change anything.

I also watch the boys and they are growing to love us more each day. I watch them and smile with deep satisfaction knowing that we made a good choice. Drew is a little shyer then Max, but he’s coming out of his shell nicely. Max on the other hand, might be giving us trouble as time goes on. He watches the girls at school with utter fascination and I know that he’s going to come to us sooner or later and ask questions.

Maybe we should have a talk with the boys about sex and girls. It’s not like we don’t know about girls. We both have been with them, we know how it feels. We also know how easy it is to fall into a sexual encounter. They need to be warned about that. Playing safe is always the best bet. Actually, abstinence is the best bet, but you don’t always get that in life, so it’s best to be prepared. I have to talk to Jim about talking to the boys. Jim will be embarrassed, I already know. He gets embarrassed so easily when it comes to sex. One day Conner told a very dirty joke at work and made us howl, including Jim, but he also blushed. Not many people in the bullpen blush anymore. Then he got teased because he blushed. Poor man doesn’t have a chance.

I haven’t mentioned how much I love him lately in my writings. I love him so much it hurts sometimes. I’m not sure this is a good thing all the time, but I can’t live without him. I don’t know how I ever made it through life minus the big lug. He’s my rock and my home. He owns my heart. Forever.

Conner asked me the other day if I thought Jim would make a good grandparent and it made me smile. My God, some day we could be grand-parents. What a trip. I told her that Jim would love being one and so would I. She said she knew I would, but she wondered about Jim, because he’s not as much into family. I looked at her oddly and told her he was big into family. Our family. She smiled and walked off. I don’t think she got it. He loves those boys, I don’t care if he’s told me or not. Actually he has mentioned it to me. So I do know for sure. He loves having a family almost as much as I do.

When I was young, I moved all of the time, and had to make new friends and new family members. I got tired of it sometimes, but what could I do? I lived with a parent who liked to move a lot. She was a wild woman and for the most part, I had a very interesting and exciting life. But I would have given all of that up for a home with a dad in it. I really missed out on having a father and I’m glad that Jim and I can give the boys this at least. We can’t be mothers, but we sure as hell can give fatherhood a shot.

I want to give Drew and Max the best life they’ll ever dream of having. If that includes buying them a car when they turn sixteen, so be it. I’ve never felt like you had to buy your kids anything, but damn it, these kids never had anything in their lives and they turned out so well. They deserve the best and the best is what we’ll give them forever.

I love my job. I wasn’t sure how it would feel being a cop, but I love it and it’s great. Simon is very good to me and tells me what a good job I’m doing all the time. I think he worries about me not liking it as much as I do. I have to continually tell him how I love it. One of these days maybe he’ll get it. Until then I have to just get used to him hovering over me. He’s a very good man. Just look at Daryl. What a nice teen he turned into.

Daryl is in college now and loving it. We’re so happy for him. Jim paid part of his tuition on the sly. He did it anonymously so Simon would never feel like he owed him anything. But I know and I know how much it helped Simon and Daryl. Jim is also a good man.

I went to make my car payment online the other day and it wasn’t there. I mean, it wasn’t fucking there. I wondered what had happened to it and I was hollering about it to Jim and he said he had paid it off for me. Just like that, he paid off my SUV. I asked him why and he said, because he loved me. What could I say about that?

Jim does love me more then life itself. He says that a lot and it makes me snicker sometimes, but I honestly like when he says it. Have I mentioned lately how good he is in bed? Man, can that man make me come hard or what? He has such control over me it isn’t even funny. All he has to do is touch me, and I’m hard. Sometimes at work, he looks at me and I get hard. It makes working with him difficult sometimes. But that’s life and I’ve gotten used to it. He likes that he makes me hard too. He smells my pheromones and always smiles. He’s a devil, is what he is.

How do I feel about not being a teacher anymore? Well, that’s harder then you might think. I love being a cop and working by Jim’s side, but I miss the kids. I miss the minds that I could help fill with wonderful ideas and thoughts. Every now and then I help Drew and Max with homework and Jim will look over at me sadly while I’m doing it. I must have a sad look on my face or something. I then try to brighten things up, but Jim knows me. On those nights, he holds me all through the night and doesn’t seem to want to let go. I know he’s torn between wanting me to teach again and staying by his side at the station. I know it’s hard for him too. I feel bad for both of us.

Captain Meyers at the Police Academy called me the other day while Jim was down in records. He asked me if I would be interested in teaching some classes at the Academy. I was shocked when he asked, but also very flattered. I told him I would think about it and get back to him. I would have to work three mornings a week with the cadets and I’m not sure Jim would like that. How do I feel about it? I would love it. I plan on talking to Jim about it and seeing what he thinks. I just haven’t had the nerve to bring it up. I don’t know why I’m putting it off. Maybe he’ll think it’s great. Wouldn’t that be nice? Who am I kidding? Jim wouldn’t think it was great. He would mope around for a good week, even after I told him that I wasn’t going to take it. Damn it, I’m going to talk to him when I get done writing in my journal.

He’s coming up the stairs. I’m going to close this now and write some more tomorrow.

~~~~~

Jim came upstairs and sat on the bed and touched Blair on the leg and he got hard instantly. Jim smiled at him and said, “What’s going on with you?”

“What do you mean?” Blair asked

“Something’s been on your mind all day, I could tell. When I got back from records, you were acting all different,” Jim explained.

“Well, as a matter of fact, I have something to talk to you about, but didn’t really have the nerve. I don’t know how you’re going to take it,” Blair said.

“So just tell me and put me out of my misery. You writing in your journal didn’t help my worrying any.”

“Jim, I write in my journal every night. Or at least I try to,” Blair stated.

“But you were up here for about two hours. I knew something was wrong. Now tell me what it is and we’ll fix it,” Jim ordered.

Blair kissed Jim quickly and said, “It’s nothing that has to be fixed. I got a call yesterday from Captain Meyers from the Police Academy and he asked if I could teach classes for him three times a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for three hours each morning. I would have to be there at 7:00, so I wouldn’t miss too much at the station. What do you think about it?”

“That’s what you were worried about? I think it’s great. You would be able to teach again. You were born to teach and this would look good on your resume too. I hope you’re going to take it,” Jim advised.

“Wow, I didn’t think you would be on board about it,” Blair said sounding somewhat relieved.

“You’ll have to okay it with Simon of course,” Jim reminded him.

“Captain Meyers said that he had already cleared it with Simon. Simon is on board for it,” Blair said.

“How do you feel about it?” Jim asked.

“I’m thrilled on one hand and scared on the other. It’s been a long while since I taught any young minds and I don’t know how these classes are going to be. So, it’s a worry.”

“You’ll do beautifully. You always do, Chief. I’m real proud of you, babe,” Jim said before he kissed Blair soundly.

“Are the boys already in bed?” Blair asked.

“Yup, they both told me to tell you goodnight. It’s ten o’clock, Chief.”

“I can’t believe I was up here that long. Here I worried about nothing, too,” Blair said almost sighing with relief.

“Jim, how would you like to make love to me? I mean, with noise and everything? Blair asked.

“You got it,” Jim said as he stood and stripped, making Blair laugh.

“That’s not exactly the reaction I was hoping for,” Jim joked.

“You’re just so eager. You’re a very sexy man, Mr. Ellison.”

“I might be, but you’re the only one I ever want to fuck, Mr. Sandburg.”

Blair stripped his clothing off as quickly as he could and got with the program.

Jim made sweet love to Blair with all of the noises and sounds Blair liked to hear. He then made Blair last long into the night, and when he finally came, he saw stars. Jim was that fucking good at his job.

“You made me see stars,” Blair whispered.

“Are you still seeing them?” Jim asked worriedly.

“No, just for a second or two. I’m fine. That was a good time, Mr. Ellison.”

“Anytime, Mr. Sandburg.”

“Do you realize that you were fucking a teacher?” Blair inquired happily.

“Oh yeah, I want to be the teacher’s pet,” Jim said.

“Fuck me like that much and you’ll become my pet all right,” Blair said as he curled into Jim’s body for a nice night of sleep.

“Talk to Simon in the morning and call Meyers and tell him that you’ll take the job. This is going to be great,” Jim said cheerfully.

“Thank you for being so supportive, Jim.”

“You’re welcome, I’m sure,” Jim replied.

Before long, both of the men were sleeping and having wonderful dreams, dreams that included Blair’s new life too.

The end

Family Life Part 19
Who is In Love?
By Patt

Word Count: 2,968

Max decided he was going to have to tell Jim and Blair about Misty Wagner. She was so pretty and he wanted to ask her out so bad, but didn’t even know where to start. There was a dance coming up and if he could get up the nerve to ask her, it would be perfect. She was beautiful and very nice on top of that. Yes, Max was going to have to talk to Jim and Blair. The more he thought about it, the more he realized, he just wanted to talk to Blair about it. Jim wasn’t as easy to talk to. It wasn’t like he didn’t love Jim, he just didn’t feel as comfortable discussing emotions with him.

When the guys got home from the station that night, Max and Drew had dinner made. They had set the table nicely and everything was set to go.

“Wow, we could get used to this type of life. This smells great, what did you make?” Blair asked.

“I made Taco Soup. I found the recipe at school and decided you might like it. We’ve never had it either, but it smells good doesn’t it?” Drew answered.

“Where did you get the recipe?” Jim asked Drew.

“In Home EC. I love that class. I think I might want to be a cook when I am done with school,” Drew pointed out.

“You would be a fine one, too,” Jim assured him.

“If you want crunchy in the soup, you crumble corn chips at the bottom of the bowl. Someone in class taught me that. Anyway, dig in,” Drew said.

They all dished up their bowls of Taco Soup and began to eat. Jim and Blair were making all of the yummy sounds that a person makes when they love something. This pleased Drew to no end.

“Since you made dinner, I insist on cleaning up the dishes,” Blair said in between bites. “This is delicious.”

Drew smiled and said, “I’m so glad you like it. What about you, Jim? Do you like it too?”

“I’m having a second bowl of it right now, so that’s how much I love it. Great job, kiddo. Thank you,” Jim said as he chewed his food up, smiling.

When they were all done, Max said, “I made dessert.”

“You’re kidding. What are we having for dessert?” Jim asked.

“Drew helped me make a pound cake. It has a pound of butter in it and ten eggs. Do you believe it? We picked up some strawberries to put over it. We cooked them up and made like an applesauce, except with strawberries,” Max said happily.

“I can’t believe you boys did all this for us. You’re a joy to have around, have I mentioned that lately?” Blair asked.

Both of the boys smiled and blushed.

Jim said, “I agree with Blair. You take very good care of us and thank you very much.”

“No problemo,” Max said.

“Do you guys have a lot of homework tonight?” Blair asked.

“Blair, I was hoping that I could talk to you alone after dinner. I need some advice and thought maybe you could help me,” Max blurted out.

“I don’t get to help?” Jim asked sticking his lip out in a pout.

Both of the boys laughed and Max said, “Sure. You can help too. But Drew is going to do the dishes while I talk to you. All right, Drew?”

“Is everything all right, Max?” Drew was worried already.

“Everything is dandy. Stop worrying. You’re going to give yourself an ulcer.” Max fussed.

Jim and Blair went into the office and sat down and waited for Max to start talking. Finally he said, “There is a girl at school who is beautiful and nice and I want to ask her to a dance that is coming up in two weeks. How do I get up the nerve to ask her?”

Jim smiled when he realized that there was nothing wrong, Max just needed some advice.

“Do you talk to her at school already?” Blair asked.

“Sometimes, not too often, but now and then,” Max answered.

“Tomorrow you walk up to her and ask, would you do me the honor of going to whatever dance it is in two weeks?” Blair advised.

“Just like that?” Max said.

“What did you think you would have to do?” Jim asked.

“I figured I would have to buy her a present or something first. And I didn’t know what to get her,” Max replied sounding every bit the young 15 he was.

“No, you don’t have to buy her anything. You ask her if she would like to go to the dance. Then you ask her if her parents would like to meet you and then us and that’s it. She’ll either say yes or no. What does she look like?” Jim wondered.

“You make it sound so easy. I hope it’s going to be that easy. I want to take her to the dance, so badly, it hurts. She’s so beautiful. She has long brown hair and the best smile you could ever put on a face. She’s perfect,” Max said dreamily.

Blair said, “Remember she is still just a person, not some goddess and she may turn you down, in which case it wasn’t meant to be. But if she’s smart, she’ll say yes right away. My money is on you.”

“You guys ‘so’ understand. For the dance, will one of you take us and pick us up afterwards?” Max asked.

Blair said, “I’ll do it. I would love to be your driver and you can take her out to eat too, if you wanted to.”

“I’m going to ask her tomorrow morning. I can’t wait, unless of course she says no,” Max said, thinking way too much.

“Just think about yes and forget about no,” Jim said.

“Do you think I could get a new set of clothes to wear for the dance?” Max asked.

“We’ll get you a really nice suit. Don’t you worry about a thing,” Blair said smiling.

“Thank you, guys. You’re both the best,” Max said leaving the room.

When they walked out of the office, Drew was still doing dishes. Blair walked over and said, “I’ll take over here.”

“You will?” Drew asked happily.

“We’re done talking with Max, so I’ve got nothing but time,” Blair replied.

~~~~~

The next day in the hallway near his locker Misty walked by and he said, “Misty, could I talk to you for a moment?”

“Sure, Max, what’s up?”

“I wanted to know if you would like to go to the Spring Dance with me in two weeks,” Max asked as calmly as he could.

“Oh Max, that would be great. My mom and dad would have to meet you first, but I don’t think that’s a problem, do you?” Misty asked.

“Not a problem at all. My parents would like to meet them also if that would be all right,” Max added.

“They would like that very much,” Misty answered.

“I have two dads; do you think that’s going to be a problem?” Max asked.

“My parents are very nice people, they won’t judge. They would love to meet your two dads. Should we set up a date to meet?” Misty asked.

“Here is my number, why don’t you ask them when is a good time to meet up and we’ll make plans after that,” Max said.

“Thank you for asking me, Max. I just know we’re going to have great fun,” Misty said happily.

Max walked down the hall with a huge smile on his face. He was happier then he had ever been. First he got a real home and now he was going to go on his first date.

~~~~~

When Jim and Blair walked through the doors, Drew was sitting at the table doing homework and Max was no where around.

Blair said, “Hi Drew, where is Max?”

“He’s talking to his girlfriend about meeting you guys some night. He was gushing. So I had to do my work down here,” Drew said kiddingly.

Jim said, “I’ll make dinner, you relax.”

“Thank you,” Blair replied.

Blair walked up the stairs and knocked on the door to Max and Drew’s bedroom. “Come in,” Max called out.

Blair walked in and said, “When you’re off the phone, we’d like to talk to you.”

“Blair, Misty’s folks would like to meet you this Sunday, would that be all right?”

“That would be fine. Just find out a time and place and we’ll meet up,” Blair said easily.

“Thank you,” Max said as he went back to talking to Misty.

Blair walked downstairs with a smile on his face and was thrilled that Misty had said yes.

“Guess what Misty’s middle name is?” Drew asked.

“What?” Jim inquired.

“Misty Dawn. Doesn’t that sound funny? Like a weather forecast or something,” Drew said laughing.

“Drew, it’s not nice to make fun of people’s names. I think it sounds nice,” Blair replied.

“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help it.”

Max came walking down the stairs and said, “We’re set up for Sunday at the zoo with Misty’s mom and dad. They’re names are Bob and Susan Wagner. Misty is very excited about meeting you two.”

“Wait a minute. What about me?” Drew asked sounding hurt.

“Drew, they want to meet my parents, not you,” Max said.

“Max, Drew can come with us, it’s not that big of a deal. It’ll be fun. We all like the zoo, so it’ll be a nice family day,” Jim said.

“Okay, besides Misty said she wanted to meet Drew,” Max said.

“Woo hoo, I’m going to meet the famous Misty Dawn,” Drew said happily.

“Jim, make him stop being a jerk,” Max pleaded.

“Drew you’re going to be on your best behavior when we go. You don’t call her by her middle name, once, am I understood?” Jim said.

“Understood. Max, you are no fun,” Drew teased before he went back to his homework once again.

A very happy Max went to do his and smiled at Jim and Blair on the way.

~~~~~

The next two weeks flew by and Jim said, “So do we have a talk with him about sex yet?”

“He’s not going to be alone with her, I think we’re safe for the time being anyhow. We’ll hold off on the talk until it’s time for both of them to hear it,” Blair decided.

“We need to teach him the basics about dancing,” Jim said.

“Oh my God, of course we do. We’ll do that tonight,” Blair answered.

“We’re going to have to take him to the flower shop for all the essentials,” Jim said.

“Oh hell, that’s right. She needs a corsage and he needs a boutonniere. We’ll do that tonight. God, I’m glad you thought of it. At least we bought his suit and he’s ready to go. Let’s just pray he didn’t grow any since we got it,” Blair teased.

“It is funny how he keeps growing out of things. So does Drew. It must be the good life, eh?” Jim asked.

“Must be,” Blair replied.

~~~~~

When they got home that night they took Max over to the flower shop for what he needed. Drew stayed home doing homework and said he would be bored at the flower shop. Max had to call and ask Misty what color her dress was. He found out it was pink, so it would go with a lot of the corsages that were there.

Blair said, “I like these ones. They are called nosegays even though they fit around the wrist.”

“This one is gorgeous, you guys look at it,” Max chose one and it was beautiful. It was pink and white and would no doubt go with what she was wearing. Jim looked at the price and about swallowed his tongue. Things had sure gone up since he was young.

Blair said, “Max, now you need a boutonniere that matches her flowers. So you’re going to have to wear pink too.”

“That’s fine with me, man,” Max answered and Jim burst out laughing.

“What?” Blair asked.

“He sounds more like you every day. It just sounded cute,” Jim confessed.

“Oh did you hear that Blair, we sound cute?” Max joked.

“Oh that’s us all right, cute as buttons,” Blair teased back.

Jim looked at some flowers in a vase and Blair said, “What are you doing?”

“Something for Misty’s mom, Sue. It only seems right that she will get flowers too,” Jim answered.

“Wow, you’re good,” Max remarked and smiled.

Once everything was paid for, they walked to the car.

As Jim drove home, Max said, “Thank you so much for everything, Jim and Blair. You’re making this first time very memorable. I’m never going to forget it.”

“We’re taking a bunch of pictures too, so don’t think it stops at this. We’re proud parents, we want photo’s,” Blair kidded.

“That’s fine with me, I want pictures too. It’s something I want to remember forever,” Max said happily.

“Just think, only one more day of school and then it’s the big night. Tomorrow will fly by, you wait and see,” Jim assured Max.

“I’m probably going to be a spaz in the next day so thank you once again for everything and I hope I don’t embarrass either of you,” Max said.

“You’d never embarrass either of us, so stop worrying. Everything is going to be fine and you’re going to have a great time. Wait and see,” Blair said.

They got home and Blair taught Max the basics about dancing, while Jim put all of the flowers in the refrigerator to keep fresh. There was some teasing from Drew, but other then that it went well. Jim took a picture of Blair teaching him for their album. It was something they would want to remember forever too.

Later that night they watched a movie on DVD and had fun eating popcorn, laughing and just spending time together. Jim and Blair loved these special moments.

~~~~~

The next night they drove Max over to pick up Misty and he arrived to find her in a beautiful dress. Max handed her the nosegay and explained what to do with it and she was very pleased. Then he handed the dozen roses to Mrs. Wagner and she hugged him for them. The roses matched Misty’s dress too. Jim stood back and took about seven or eight pictures of the couple. Then he took one of the Wagner’s with the kids and they took one of Jim and Blair with the kids. Jim and Blair didn’t want to forget this night either.

Max helped Misty get into the SUV and they were off for the dance. The two of them mumbled things to each other in the back seat but they didn’t talk to Jim or Blair.

When they arrived, Jim said, “We’ll be here at midnight, as we planned, Max.”

“Thank you, guys. We’ll see you in four hours,” Max said as he got out and helped Misty get out.

They both noticed that he was quite the gentlemen. This made them proud.

On the drive home, Blair said, “Is it just me, or did this make you want to cry?”

“It made me tear up, yes,” Jim replied.

“The time is going so fast. We’ve had them for eight months and it seems like just yesterday,” Blair insisted.

“I’m sure it seems longer to them,” Jim teased.

“You know they love being with us as much as we love it,” Blair joked back.

“I know. Let’s not forget them at midnight,” Jim joked some more.

Blair laughed and then blew a kiss to his main man.

~~~~~

At midnight, Jim and Blair picked Max and Misty up and heard them talking non-stop about the dance. Anyone that could hear knew they had a wonderful time. There was no need to ask if they did. When Jim drove up to the Wagner’s house he parked and waited for Max to do his thing.

Max opened the door and helped Misty get out of the SUV again. When he got her up to the porch, he kissed her cheek and then she walked in the door and he walked towards the SUV.

Once he was in he said, “That was the best time I’ve ever had. I’ve never been to a dance before. Thank you for teaching me the steps, because she’s a good dancer. We had such a good time. Everyone was jealous of my date. She was the most beautiful one there.”

“We’re glad you had a good time. You’ll have to tell Drew all about it, because he was dying to know what was happening while you were gone,” Jim said.

“I’m going to tell him that his first dance is going to be the best thing in the world. Thank you for everything,” Max gushed.

“You are most welcome, Max,” Blair said happily.

“We loved doing it for you,” Jim answered.

You’re the best parents anyone could ever ask for. Even Misty said she was very impressed with both of you. I can’t wait to get home and tell Drew,” Max said cheerfully.

They drove up and Max was out of the SUV like a bullet. Jim and Blair laughed and followed at a much slower pace. Jim kissed Blair and said, “Good job, Chief.”

“Thank you, back at ya,” Blair replied.

They walked upstairs to hear the boys laughing and talking about the dance. Then Jim and Blair showed them all of the pictures on the computer.

It turned out to be a wonderful night for everyone.

The End

TACO SOUP 1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg taco seasonings
1 pkg dry Ranch seasoning
2 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can whole kernel corn
Brown meat and onion. Drain. Add seasonings. Drain beans and corn. Add to meat along with tomatoes. Simmer until well blended and hot. Eat and enjoy.
Add a bit of grated cheese or sour cream and this simple soup is perfect for cold nights.

POUND CAKE 1 lb. butter
10 egg whites
1 lb. sugar
1 lb. flour
10 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon mace
2 tbsp. brandy, rum, lemon or vanilla flavoring
Have the eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. When eggs are at room temperature, break and separate eggs cleanly into two bowls, one for yolks and one for whites.
In a separate bowl, cream the butter, adding sugar gradually while beating; then add yolks of eggs beaten until thick and lemon colored, whites of eggs beaten until stiff and dry, flour, mace, and brandy, rum or vanilla.
Beat vigorously for 2 or 3 minutes at medium speed, until cake batter forms ribbons when the beater is lifted up from bowl.
Bake in a deep loaf pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 325°F; or if to be used to cut out in little cake shapes for decorating, bake thirty to thirty five minutes in a shallow pan. Test cake by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center 3/4 through the baking time; cake is done if toothpick comes out clean.

Family Life Part 20
A Day in the Life
By Patt

Word Count: 2,802

Blair told Jim how wonderful it was to keep a journal of your thoughts and feelings, so Jim decided he would try it for a day and see how it went. He sort of felt stupid writing in one, but he wanted to make Blair happy, so he was going to do it.

May 5th,

This is my first and probably only entry in this journal. I don’t know anything about keeping one and feel somewhat foolish doing it.

Let me see, I’ve got to talk about feelings and thoughts. Something I hate doing unless Blair is making me do it. I’d rather go to the dentist and have a tooth pulled then talk about feelings. Oh geeze, where should I start?

First of all, I talked to my dad this morning and he was in an excellent mood. Steven is coming back from Japan and dad is excited for him to meet Max and Drew. I swear dad likes them as much as we do. He’s crazy about having grandchildren and doesn’t seem to mind that they aren’t blood. He’s been really nice to the boys. He takes them places and buys them things. You couldn’t ask for a better grampa then my dad. He makes a much better grampa then he did a dad. Maybe he feels like he has a lot to make up for. He was a pretty lousy dad. I don’t try and look for negative things, but he was mean and thoughtless most of the time. Steven and I were lucky to get out alive. Oh all right, that’s a slight exaggeration, but we didn’t have a good life. That’s why it’s so important to me that Max and Drew have a great one. I don’t want to be anything like my dad was back then. Blair says I’m not, so I guess I’ll have to believe him.

Blair is teaching at the Academy and he loves it. I have to work without him three mornings a week, but it’s not too bad. I don’t go in until 8:00 and he starts at 10:00. So I have no complaints about that. Plus, he’s so fucking happy, that we’re all happy too. The boys and I noticed after three days of teaching, he was like another person. Happier then we had ever seen him. I’m not sure how that makes me feel. Okay, I am sure, but maybe that’s one of those things that I don’t want to share. He loves teaching. I knew he would love it back at the academy doing what he loves more then anything. It won’t be long and he’ll want to do it full time and I’ll be on my own. I won’t like it, but I would stand aside so that Blair could be happy. First of all, I’m ten years older, so I’ll be retiring before he will even think about it. That would leave him all alone at the station with Brown, Rafe and Conner. That’s like a life sentence right there. Yes, I’m making jokes in my journal. It’s mine, I’m allowed. No one’s reading it but me. God, I hope not anyway. I’m not even making sure I’m spelling things right.

Back to Blair teaching, I think it would be a great idea if he taught full time and didn’t even work at the station any more. Would I like it? No. Would I wish he had his dream job? Yes. That would be one with teaching young minds what they need to know. I’m going to ask him how he feels about that one of these days, but I’m afraid of his answer, so I’m not rushing.

I love Blair so much, it’s unbelievable. I never thought I could love anyone the right way and here comes Blair Sandburg showing me how it’s done. He’s shown me how to grow in many areas, not just my dick. Yes, another joke. I love him so much that I would give up everything for him. I would move to another city so he could teach at a college. I would move anywhere and do anything he wanted to. I’m that whipped. The guys at work call me a wuss and I growl at them, but they’re right. I am pussy whipped, only they have no idea how great Blair pussy is. Another joke. Alright, so I don’t get pussy anymore, this is fine, because I like what I’m getting much, much more. I tried like hell with Carolyn to make her happy and come to find out, I just didn’t like being with women. I had been with men before Blair, so it wasn’t out of the blue. But man, I never felt for one of them like I do for him. I’m in this, hook, line and sinker. I sink into him every chance I get. Oh man, another joke. Maybe I’m a comedian.

Blair is so good to me, it isn’t even funny. He treats me like I’m a king and makes me feel good all the time. Not just in bed either. He’s such a great man. He’s good with the boys and he’s good with my family too. My dad thinks that Blair is the best thing that even happened in my life and dad is correct. But there was a time where dad didn’t feel that way. It took Blair some time to talk sense into dad. I knew he could and would. Now my dad is wild about him and so is everyone at work too.

That starts a whole different thought. Conner loves Blair. She thinks of him as her best friend in the world. Even if he sometimes goes nuts with her calling him Sandy. He puts up with it, because he really likes Conner. When she’s over playing poker he calls her Megan and that always makes her smile that special smile that she has for her best friend. One time Rafe told me that I should watch out for her, she had a thing for Blair, but I watched and I realized she needed him as her best friend more then anything in the world. So I knew I would never have to worry about the two of them.

Rafe is another story. He tries to start trouble between me and Blair all the time. I think it might be his way of dealing with us being gay and all. I don’t think he likes it. But he stands behind us all the time at work, so I don’t need to worry about that, but he stopped talking to me like a friend when he found out we were gay. Some people do that. A lot of people at the station treat us badly, but we try to just ignore them. It’s part of life.

Joel is and always will be one of my best friends. He’s a kidder and a kind man at the same time. He puts up with no ones shit and I love that about him. He’s stood his ground about me and Blair more then once. Conner told us after the fact. People don’t mess with him. He’s a really nice guy unless you cross him. You don’t want to make him mad. You won’t like him when he’s mad. Sort of like The Hulk. Oh look, now I’m making comic book jokes.

I wonder if I’ve been up here long enough. Blair told me I had to give it a fair chance. I’m giving it a fair chance. Blah, blah, blah.

How do I feel about Simon? Well, Simon is my best friend other then Blair. He’s there for me during thick and thin and will always be. We’ll probably be retiring at the same time, so we’ll be able to go fishing together while Blair is still working. That’s the bad thing about being with someone ten years younger then yourself. You retire and they can’t. I really like Simon and I adore his son, Daryl. He’s such a good kid. He comes over to visit our boys from time to time and I like that he does. He’s a good outside influence for sure.

Brown has been quiet at the station lately. Something might be up with him. But he hasn’t said anything to me, so I don’t poke my nose into his business. Not my thing. I really like him, though. He’s a good soul. Good hearted and a good friend.

My mother-in-law leaves a lot to be desired. I’m pissed at her right now because she has two grandchildren and she’s not here. She’s off visiting with friends and seeing the world. She doesn’t think of them as her real grandchildren and that’s too bad, because she’s missing a lot. Not to mention all she misses not seeing Blair from time to time. She’s a mess, but she’s our mess, so we have to love her no matter what. I do love her, I’m just mad at her right now. I’ll get over it.

I can hear Max upstairs telling Drew that I’m writing in a journal and they’re teasing me. They forget that I can hear them from time to time. Now Max is saying he thinks a journal is a good thing to keep. Aha, he must have remembered about my hearing. He’s a good kid. Great in school, sports, with friends and a nice boyfriend to Misty. He really likes her. I hate to see him get so serious, so soon because then we have to have a sex talk with him. I dread that day. I’m very proud of him and I’m glad that Blair talked me into doing this. We make great parents. It was the best of choices.

Drew is a little bit quieter then Max, but he’s coming out of his shell. He’s a great kid too. Wants to be a cook when he’s out of school. I’ve tasted his cooking and it’s fantastic. He’s good already and he’s only 13. He’s such a nice boy to have around. He’s funny, too. He makes me and Blair laugh all the time. I’m really glad that they found us and we found them.

Okay, this is enough of this journal writing. I don’t think it’s my thing. I’m not good with sharing things. I should have Blair read this and then he’ll realize how bad I am at it. But then again, he would read all of the mushy stuff I wrote about how much I love him and then he’d hold that over my head. My little head. Another joke, I am a comedian.

I might try another night and see if it feels easier, but this seemed forced. I don’t think it was for me. Can’t say I didn’t try.

~~~~~

Jim walked down the stairs and found Blair playing cards with Max and Drew. “Hey, did you forget about me?”

“We thought a hole swallowed you up, up there,” Drew said laughing.

Blair laughed and added, “You were up there a long while, Jim.”

“You told me to write down everything I was thinking about, so I did. But I don’t think it’s for me. You can read it and you can see it’s not my style,” Jim said.

“Take over my hand, while I go check it out. I want to see what you did up there this whole time,” Blair handed over his cards and smiled.

Jim sat down and began to play 5000 Rummy with the boys. They all loved that game. Jim and Blair had even taught Drew and Max’s friends how to play. So sometimes there were six or eight players.

They played for some time while Blair was upstairs. Blair came walking down and said, “Drew and Max, do you mind if we play cards tomorrow night? I need to talk to Jim.”

“Sure, we’re going to get ready for bed anyhow. It’s almost ten,” Max said getting up and cleaning up the mess on the table.

Jim looked over at Blair wondering what was wrong. Blair’s heartbeat was going a little faster then normal and this worried Jim.

The boys went upstairs and Blair said, “Let’s lock up down here and then we’ll talk upstairs.”

Now Jim was officially worried. Had he said something terrible about someone in that stupid journal? He just knew it was something that was going to come back and bite him in the ass.

He locked up the windows and doors and turned off all of the lights and went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. Once he was done, he headed up the stairs. Blair was already in bed holding Jim’s journal.

“Okay, what did I say that pissed you off?” Jim asked.

“You didn’t piss me off at all. First of all, I want to tell you that you keep a very nice journal. I want you to start writing in it every night. And from now on, it’s only for you to read. This was the one and only time I’m allowed. I loved all of your thoughts and your feelings about everyone. I almost agreed with everything you said, except the part about my mom. I think she does like the boys; she’s just fighting us being a couple. She’ll get over it. I’m glad that you let your dad into your heart finally. I thought it was a lost cause for a long while, but it worked out great, didn’t it?”

“Yeah, it did. What’s wrong?” Jim asked knowing there was more to come.

“Jim, I love you so much and I think you don’t know how much I love you,” Blair said easily.

“What are you talking about? I know you love me. You tell me all the time,” Jim said.

“But you sounded like a man that is in love with someone that doesn’t love him back,” Blair stated.

“Oh, I did it wrong then. I adore you. And I know you adore me. You tell me almost every day, Blair. I love when you tell me. I also love when you fuck me. That shows me who is boss and who owns my heart too. So I love those nights a lot.”

“So you’re sure of my love?” Blair inquired.

“You could show me how much you love me right now,” Jim teased.

“Jim, I’m serious. Are you sure of my love?” Blair asked.

Jim stood up and stripped his boxers and tee shirt as quickly as he could and got into bed. He was already hard from just talking about sex.

He then stripped Blair of his clothing and started giving Blair a blow job, like no other he had received. “Wait a minute, I’m supposed to be assuring you.” Blair said in between deep breaths.

“Let me fucking drive, here,” Jim growled and started to make love to Blair like he had never done before. He lubed Blair’s ass quickly and didn’t even wait to see if Blair was ready and slid into home base.

Jim fucked him strong and hard and with each thrust he whispered, “You’re mine.”

Blair smiled big time and Jim knew he had done the right thing. Blair was feeling insecure so Jim fixed it right away.

Jim stroked Blair’s cock fast and hard until Blair came with a small squeak. Jim then pounded Blair’s ass until he was finished and shot his come into that tight, warm channel.

Blair just lay there wondering if every couple was this fucking happy when Jim pulled out and got the wipes to clean them both up with. When he was done, he pulled Blair into his arms and held him so close, that Blair would never wonder about things again.

“Jim, I don’t want to teach full time. I like being your partner. Maybe when you retire I could think about it, but not now. I really like being your partner.”

“Good. I’m glad to hear it, Blair.”

“And Brown is having some trouble with his wife. That’s why he’s been so quiet, lately. Don’t worry about him, they’ll work things out, I’m sure.”

“Glad to hear it, babe.”

“As far as Rafe is concerned, he’s an ass. He’s missing our on our friendship so it’s his loss,” Blair said.

“I love you, Blair.”

“I know that. I love you, back.”

“And I know that.” Jim said before he kissed him goodnight.

Blair relaxed into Jim’s arms and fell asleep almost instantly while Jim lay awake for a while listening to all of the heartbeats in the house. This was his home and those heartbeats were his family. He was the luckiest son-of-a-bitch alive.

The end

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *