Family Life Parts 1-10

Family Life
Part 1: Moving In
By Patt

Summary: What happens with someone has an urge to have a child and the other one doesn’t? It’s called compromise.

Thank you to Helena for naming this baby. 🙂 She’s like my very own cheerleader. Hugs, sweetie.

Word Count: 6,000

Jim was kissing Blair and he was very hot and bothered, but noticed that Blair wasn’t having the same reaction.

“Chief, what’s wrong?”

“I was wondering if we could talk about something very important to me,” Blair replied.

“Right now?” Jim wondered aloud.

“Yeah, right now.”

Jim pulled away from Blair and looked at his lovers face to see if he could judge what was wrong by just looking at him. Blair was harder to read then that.

“Okay, you’ve got my attention, what’s wrong?” Jim inquired.

“First of all, there is nothing wrong. I just want to talk to you about something important.”

Jim pulled the sheet up from the bottom of the bed and covered them both up and said, “Okay, shoot.”

“What would you think about raising a foster child?” Blair began.

Jim’s mind tried to get wrapped around this, since he was thinking it was something horrible. Blair must have been feeling his biological clock ticking.

“Blair, we’ve discussed adopting and we agreed that two cops weren’t a good choice for an adoptive couple. Remember?” Jim asked.

“I talked to someone downtown the other day and she asked me if you and I had ever thought about fostering. She said she has a 15 year old boy that would be a good match for us,” Blair rambled on.

“When? When were you downtown?”

“This is what you’re focusing on? When I had to testify in the court house the other day. The day you didn’t finish up the paperwork like you had promised.”

“Why would this person think we would be good candidates?” Jim questioned.

Blair sat up in bed and gave all of his attention to Jim. “It was Teresa from the DA’s office. She’s got a 15 year old that has no where to go. She thought we would be good role models.”

“Chief, she doesn’t know we’re gay,” Jim reminded him.

“I know, so I told her as much. She said we could ask him how he felt about it. If she can’t find a home for him, he has to go to a not so nice foster home and she doesn’t’ wish anyone to go there,” Blair continued.

“You told Teresa about us without even talking to me?” Jim got up from the bed and started pacing.

“Jim, you’re focusing on the wrong things here.”

“Why would a normal 15 year old want to think about living with two guys that are gay?”

“She thinks he wouldn’t mind. He’s a tough kid. He’s in football and needs some major role models. I told her I would ask you about it,” Blair said.

Jim sighed and said, “We have to have time to discuss this and think about it, Chief.”

“He doesn’t have time, Jim. He’s going to be transferred to the other place in about three weeks. The place he’s at right now doesn’t really take in older kids, so it’s not working out,” Blair stated.

“So we have to discuss it and decide tonight? Blair, I just know you can’t be expecting me to decide something life altering like this in one night,” Jim barked.

“Jim, sit back down and talk to me. I mean, really talk. I want to do this.”

“Oh you want to do this, so fuck me, right?”

“Stop it, Jim. You know I can’t do it alone. We both have to be on board,” Blair explained.

“I don’t think it would work. We don’t really have the room for anyone else to share our house with either,” Jim reminded him.

“We might be able to turn the next loft into part of this one. I checked and it’s for sale. We would be able to make the kitchen and dining room much bigger, enlarge the bedroom downstairs and we would have two bathrooms like we’ve wanted for ages,” Blair said softly.

“I take it you’ve given this a lot of thought. Why am I just hearing about it tonight?”

“Teresa asked me not to say anything until she checked to see if we would be able to pass the Foster Care credentials. She called me this morning and told me that her boss said he thinks we would be excellent candidates for Foster Care. The second bedroom upstairs could be his leaving the large bedroom downstairs for an office or a second child we would be able to foster,” Blair again had put a lot of time and effort into this argument.

“I see you’ve put a lot of thought into this,” Jim said.

“Would you at least think about it?” Blair pleaded.

Jim sat back on the bed and said, “What if I say no?”

Blair looked wounded for a moment and then said as bravely as he could, “Then we would just stay like we are.”

“Is there anything wrong with the way we are?” Jim asked nervously.

“I’m missing something Jim. I really wanted to try this, but like I said, only if you’re willing to go along with it.”

“Blair, if I don’t agree, I know you’ll be unhappy and if I do agree, I might be unhappy. So what do we do?”

Blair looked at Jim with nothing but love in his eyes and said, “I asked, you answered. That’s all I can ask for. If you don’t want to do it, then we won’t. I’m sort of tired, can we go to sleep?”

“You’re turning away from me already,” Jim said sadly.

“Curl up behind me and hold me, okay? I’m tired and would love to relax and go to sleep. Things will look better tomorrow,” Blair lay down on his side of the bed with his back to Jim.

Jim pulled Blair into his body until they were almost one and said, “How much are they asking for the condo next to us?”

Blair said, “It’s all right, Jim. I was forcing you to do something you didn’t want to and that was wrong. Let’s go to sleep.”

“Now I’m curious about the condo. How much are they asking?” Jim repeated.

“The people that were in it, defaulted, so Mr. Benson is only asking what is owed on it, which is $60,000.00 and I didn’t think that was too bad. I checked at the bank to see if I could get a loan for it and I prequalified. The payment wouldn’t be bad at all,” Blair said trying not to get excited.

“Blair, he probably wouldn’t want to come live with us anyhow,” Jim said.

“Probably not,” Blair answered.

“Call Teresa tomorrow and ask her if the foster home he’s in will let him stay there for a few weeks longer until we get the loft made bigger,” Jim said.

Blair turned around and smiled at Jim. “You’re willing to give it a try?”

“Yes, I’m willing if you are. Babe, I don’t want things coming between us. I think we could do it.”

Blair beamed with happiness and kissed Jim very hard.

“So you’ll call Teresa tomorrow?” Jim asked.

“Are you sure about this, Jim?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I want you to be happy. It’s going to be hard when he turns us down, but if you want to do this, we can keep trying until we get a child that doesn’t mind us being gay.”

“Will you be happy?”

“Blair, if you’re happy, I’m happy.”

“Can I call her right now and ask her to bring the papers to us tomorrow so we can start the ball rolling?” Blair asked hopefully.

“Go ahead.” Jim replied. He knew that this is what Blair wanted and he wasn’t kidding when he said, if Blair was happy, he was happy. Blair was the light of his life.

Blair called Teresa and they talked for quite some time. Jim noticed that Blair looked upset and Jim knew it was bad news already. He closed his cell and said, “I’m sure it won’t work out. She told him about us and he said he doesn’t think it would be a good fit. And then Teresa told me about him having a little brother. He’s 13. They want to place both of them in the same home. The not so nice foster home will take both of them.”

“Blair, there is no way two boys are going to want to live with us. It’s just part of life. I’m sorry, babe. I know you wanted it to work out, but sometimes things just don’t.”

“Could we at least fill out the paperwork, do the work on the loft and be ready if the chance ever came up?” Blair asked sadly.

“Sure, we’ll fill out the papers tomorrow on our day off and we’ll go to the bank and get the money for the loft. I’ve got enough in savings from when I was in the service,” Jim said.

“I had no idea you had that much in savings,” Blair said somewhat surprised.

“You never asked. I put you on my checking and savings account, so you have the right to use the money just as well as I do,” Jim stated.

“How about me buying the condo next door, putting it in both of our names and you can use cash for the renovation?” Blair suggested.

“I think that sounds like a good idea. It’s going to be expensive hiring all the contractors that we’re going to need. But it will be nice to have two bathrooms and two bedrooms and an office. This is going to work, Chief. Then we’ll get some new furniture too. I think we need twin beds for the bedroom upstairs and new office furniture. We’ll pass the inspection with flying colors, you just wait and see,” Jim assured him.

“I like the idea of having a new kitchen done up. We’re going to have top of the line appliances too. Everything will be perfect,” Blair promised.

Jim pulled Blair into his arms and began to kiss him with much passion. This time, Blair was with the program and was interested, big time. The two men didn’t talk anymore, while they made love. Jim didn’t really like talking while he made love to Blair. So Blair usually tried to keep things nice and quiet for Jim. Besides, he made up for it when he lay in his arms afterwards. Then he talked Jim’s leg off.

~~~~~

The following day flew by. They filled out all of the paperwork at the Foster Care System , picked up the papers that people from work would have to fill out and delivered them to Major Crimes and also got things rolling on buying the condo next door. Jim called contractors to see what it was going to cost them and he had five different companies coming to the house. They hired an appraiser to see what the unit was worth and they went and looked at it. It was in a lot better shape then Jim and Blair’s. They would have to match the wood floors in the nicer unit to have everything go together.

Simon stopped by at 7:00 that night and knocked on the door. Jim and Blair were making up lists of things they needed to do with the other condo. Jim got up and answered the door.

“You must really be busy, if you didn’t open it before I knocked. You always do that and drive me crazy,” Simon joked.

“We are busy. There is a lot of work to get done and we’re trying to get it done in a three or four week time period,” Jim explained.

“I thought the young man didn’t think it would work out with the two of you?” Simon asked.

“He did, but Blair is hoping that we could get the place done and have them over with Teresa and they could make a decision after that.”

“That makes a certain amount of sense, I guess. At least you’re in a good school district. That makes things a lot easier,” Simon pointed out.

“Our junior high and high school are two of the best rated schools in Cascade. We’re hoping that will help with the decision also. The fifteen year old plays football and we’d like to have him go where the football is one of the best,” Blair said.

“Sandburg, I don’t want you to get your hopes up about this. Nothing may come of it,” Simon reminded him.

“I know, Simon. I know. But at least we’ll be ready if someone else comes a long and they don’t mind two gay guys to help raise them,” Blair answered.

“So are you buying the condo next door?” Simon asked.

“Yes, we got the appraisal done today and we’ll get the paperwork done tomorrow. Simon, we could use about a week off to get this stuff taken care of,” Jim said.

“Sure, you’ve got the time, don’t worry about it.”

Simon handed a manila envelope to Jim and said, “Here is all of the paperwork from Conner, Joel, Henri, Rafe and myself. Everything you need is in here. Good luck with everything. You know where we are if you need anything.”

“Thank you, Simon. That will make things move much smoother. They needed these as soon as possible. She’s going to be shocked to see them tomorrow morning,” Blair commented.

“Would you like a beer, or coffee or something?” Jim finally asked.

“No, I have to get going. I’m helping Daryl find an apartment for college,” Simon stated.

“Oh man, I bet you’re having a ball spending time with him,” Blair guessed.

“Yes, I am actually. He’s such a good kid, that’s why I’m so glad that you’re going to try and foster a child. You were both a big help with Daryl and you were good role models. Thank you,” Simon remarked.

“Why thank you, Simon. That was really nice of you to say. We hope that we get a foster child too, but we’ve got time,” Jim said.

“Well, I’m off. See you in a week. It will actually be ten days with the weekend off. So we’ll see you in ten days,” Simon stated.

“Thanks again for everything,” Jim said as he showed Simon to the door.

“Bye, Simon,” Blair called out from the sofa.

“Again, good luck with everything. Call if you need any help with anything,” Simon commented as he walked out the door.

Once the door was shut and locked, Blair said, “He’s got to be one of the best bosses we could ever hope to have.”

“I agree with that. Now what else do we need for Teresa?” Jim asked.

“The papers filled out from your dad and your brother. We dropped them both off today, so hopefully they’ll fill them out soon,” Blair replied.

“Let me go and call them,” Jim said walking to the phone.

“Jim, don’t bug them, we don’t want to piss them off,” Blair pleaded.

“Chief, calm down. They’re my family. I can call them any time I feel like it. Let me just check in on them,” Jim assured Blair.

Jim dialed the phone and talked to his dad first and then called his brother. He walked over to the sofa and sat down next to Blair and said, “They’re finished and they mailed them to Teresa first thing this afternoon. They figured it would be easier then us having to pick everything up. So that’s all done with. What’s next?”

“We need to have the paperwork drawn up for the condo and we can take that to our bank. The sooner we get this done, the better,” Blair said.

“We’ll do it first thing in the morning, how is that?” Jim asked.

“I love you, Jim.”

“And I love you, Blair.”

“This is going to work out, I can just feel it,” Blair said snuggling up to Jim.

“Even if it doesn’t, we’ll be ready for someone else if they can accept us,” Jim reminded Blair, so he wouldn’t get so excited.

“I really wanted Max and Drew to get used to us before they turned us down. I think they would only have to spend a short time with us and they’d be hooked,” Blair said softly.

“We’ll see, Chief.”

~~~~~

The next week went super fast. They got everything filled out for the Foster Parent Program, received a case manager named Barb and they got everything filed with the bank. Since Jim and Blair were putting so much down on the place it was moving along much quicker then they had all planned. Closing date was set up for two weeks later. Jim had gotten the quotes from the contractor’s and they were all within a decent range. He would just have to choose which one he liked the most. That would be the hard part. He and Blair had liked everyone so far.

It was going to take two weeks to do everything they needed to do in the condo’s, so in one month’s time, they would be all set for foster children, if everything went as planned.

~~~~~

One month later:

Jim and Blair walked into the loft and just kept staring at it in awe. It didn’t look like the same place that was for sure. There were now two bedrooms upstairs and two baths downstairs. The kitchen and dining room were everything a family would need. It was beautiful. Jim had picked everything out for the kitchen, but the rest Blair had picked out. The boys were amazed it was their new home.

They walked up the second set of stairs to see the bedroom they had chosen for Max and Drew, just in case and it looked wonderful. All Jim could think of was what a great job Blair had done on the decorating. Jim wouldn’t have known where to start. It seemed to come easy to Blair. It was a very simple room, not done up like a child or anything. More like a teen. It would be perfect if the boys decided to give Jim and Blair a chance.

“Chief, everything looks fantastic. I think we did a pretty good job, what do you think?”

Blair went into Jim’s arms and didn’t speak for a short while. He was so moved by everything, he was in a bit of a shock.

“You okay, babe?” Jim asked sweetly.

“I love the house. I love you and I can’t believe how lucky we are,” Blair said.

“I say we have poker here at the house this weekend to show everyone the house. What do you think?” Jim inquired.

“That would be great. We could show it off and break it in at the same time. I think it would be fun,” Blair answered.

“I’ll ask everyone tomorrow at work if they can come,” Jim said.

“Okay and I’ll let contact our case manager and let her know that the house is ready to be inspected by the Foster Care System. Barb will be thrilled that we’re ready for them.”

“When do you think they’ll show up?” Jim asked.

“I think they come unannounced and surprise you,” Blair responded.

“What if they came during the poker game?” Jim worried.

“Jim, it’s not like they would come at night, I don’t think. And besides, we’re not a rowdy bunch anyway. Let them come and see our friends in action. They might be pleasantly surprised.”

“You’re right. I’ll ask everyone to come tomorrow. This weekend will be our first party,” Jim said happily.

The two men enjoyed their home that night, going from room to room, trying to get used to it. It was beautiful.

“Jim, is it just me, or is that the best bathroom we could have ever asked for?”

Jim smiled and said, “I do believe it’s the nicest bathroom I’ve seen in years. I’m glad it’s ours. And it’s great that there are two of them now, so we wouldn’t have to share with anyone.”

“I love the soaker tub and the wonderful new shower stall. It’s just beautiful. I can’t believe it’s the same place. We done good, Jim.”

They made dinner for the first time that night in their new kitchen and used their dishwasher for the first time. Both men were really loving it.

They watched the game on their new big flat screen television and felt like they were at the game. “Wow, this takes on a whole new feel doesn’t it?” Jim asked.

“I feel like we’re there,” Blair answered.

“Why didn’t we splurge before?” Jim wondered.

“We didn’t have a need. Now we do and it’s done. We did a good job too finding all of the best sales on everything. So we not only got new, but got everything on sale. Everyone doesn’t do that,” Blair bragged.

“No one does that, Chief. You were really good with the sales. That was your doing.”

“I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted. Want to go to bed and snuggle?” Blair asked.

“Sounds good to me,” Jim said. He shut the tv off and locked up everything. Then he and Blair both got ready for bed in the bathroom. They walked up the stairs and got undressed. Jim slid in bed first and Blair slid into Jim’s arms. Jim kissed the back of Blair’s head and said, “See you in the morning, Chief.”

“Goodnight, Jim.”

Before long all that could be heard in the loft were sweet little snores from the two men.

~~~~~

The next morning, while at work, Blair called their case manager and told her that they were ready for an inspection. Barb said that it would probably take place in the next few days. Blair would be glad to have it over with. It was the last thing on the list of things they had to do to qualify.

They were filing paperwork when Jim’s phone rang. He answered, “Ellison.”

“Hi Jim, it’s me, Barb Chase, could you and Blair meet us at your condo in about an hour?”

“Let me check with my boss really fast, I’ll put you on hold,” Jim said as he pushed the buttons.

“They want to do the inspection in an hour,” Jim said to Blair as he headed to Simon’s office. He knocked on the door and heard, “What?”

Jim opened the door and said, “Simon, we have to show the loft for an inspection in one hour. Could one of us take off to do that?”

“Both of you go, it would look better that way. But don’t think you have the entire day off,” Simon barked.

“I would never think that, Simon.” Jim smiled all the way back to his desk and picked up the phone.

“Barb, we’ll be there in an hour,” Jim said.

“Good, we’ll see you then,” Barb said before she hung up.

Jim hung up the phone and said, “Is it just me, or is it going really quickly now?”

“Yup, it’s going fast. I can’t believe we’re almost there,” Blair said.

“Let’s finish up these reports before we leave, so Simon won’t get on our case about that. I don’t want to take advantage of him at all.”

“Good thinking. You finish them,” Blair teased.

“Here is the second one. You get it done and I’ll get the first file done. That way we’ll both be finished within a half-hour,” Jim said seriously.

Blair took the file and began to work quickly so they wouldn’t be late for the inspection. Before long they were both done and dropped them off in Simon’s office. Simon was very pleased to see the finished product and said, “Good luck, guys.”

“Thanks, Simon. We’re going to leave now,” Blair announced.

“See you this afternoon,” Simon stated as he pushed them out the door.

~~~~~

Jim and Blair arrived at the loft and Barb was there with two other people waiting for them. Jim looked at his watch to see if they were late. They weren’t, these people were just early.

“Hello Barb,” Jim said casually.

Barb smiled and said, “Jim Ellison and Blair Sandburg this is John Smith and Fran Paul. They’re going to be doing the inspection today. Then we’ll want to talk to both of you when it’s over.”

Jim shook hands with both of them and then Blair did. They were both nervous, that couldn’t be helped.

“Come on upstairs,” Jim said as he led the way to the elevator.

Once upstairs, Jim opened up the loft door and Barb, John and Fran all looked around in awe. It was lovely, of this there was no doubt. Barb was the first to speak, “Jim and Blair is it okay if we just look around and take notes?”

“Sure, Barb. That’s why we’re here,” Blair answered.

For the next 45 minutes the three of them took notes and looked at everything. They ended up back in the living room where Jim and Blair were waiting for them and Barb said, “We have some news.”

“What?” Jim asked.

“Max and Drew are reconsidering the move to your house. They have both thought it over and decided that they would like to meet you. Everything is up to code and all we need now is the meeting with you two and Max and Drew. Could we set that up for soon?” Barb inquired.

“How soon, is soon?” Jim wondered.

“Tomorrow? Would that be too soon?” Barb answered.

“What time?” Jim asked.

“They have school tomorrow, so after classes. They go to the school that is in your neighborhood, so we would be close by. I would like them to meet the two of you and have them make their decision. They aren’t doing that well in the home they’re in,” Barb said.

Blair looked worried and somewhat upset. “Well, why don’t we meet them tonight? You could come after we get off work, couldn’t you?”

“Oh that would be ideal. We’re all concerned about Drew. He’s very shy and quiet and he’s become even more so since they’ve been in this home. I think he would come out of his shell with the two of you helping him,” Blair admitted.

“We’ll be here at 6:00 tonight, so anytime after that works for us,” Jim suggested.

“We’ll be here at 6:30 then. Thank you for working around your schedule. I know it’s been hard going through all of this, but you’ve passed everything with flying colors. Any child would be lucky to have you as his Foster Parents. See you tonight,” Barb said happily.

Jim and Blair were dying to hug each other, but put it off until after they all left the loft. Then Jim hugged Blair and said, “Do you believe it?”

“You know, I woke up this morning and had a good feeling. I hope this works out. They still might not like us. So we don’t want to get too carried away with this,” Jim said.

“Who doesn’t? I’m going to be excited until they tell me not to be. I’ve already decided where I would like to take them clothing shopping. I know we have an allowance for spending for the boys, but could we use our own money if we wished to?” Blair wondered.

“As long as it’s not there’s I’m sure they won’t mind,” Jim said almost laughing at his mate.

“We better get to work so we can get home tonight by 6:30,” Blair said.

They left the loft and they were both smiling all the way to the station.

~~~~~

Simon called from his doorway, “Ellison, Sandburg, my office.”

“Yes, sir?” Jim asked.

“Who are you calling sir? I just wondered how the meeting went,” Simon teased.

Blair bounced in place and said, “They want to meet us at 6:30 tonight. Max and Drew. Do you believe it?”

Simon hugged both men and called everyone over to his doorway. “Jim and Blair might have two foster children as of tonight.”

Jim sighed at the thought of trying to keep it quiet, so they didn’t get too excited.

Conner said, “This is wonderful news. I’m so happy for you. If you need anything, let me know.”

“Does this mean our poker game is off for Saturday?” Rafe asked.

Brown slugged him in the arm and said, “Way to go. Really supportive, Rafe.”

“Why would we call it off? It would be nice if they met our friends right away. Don’t you think, Chief?” Jim asked.

“Oh yeah, they would love to meet all of you and the sooner they would get used to seeing all of you the better,” Blair answered.

They all talked for awhile and then Simon said, “Go ahead and take the night off. Go relax and wait for Max and Drew. Good luck to both of you.”

“Thank you, Simon,” Jim said cheerfully.

“Yeah, man, what he said,” Blair replied.

The two men cleaned their desks off for the day and walked down the stairs to the parking lot smiling.

~~~~~

At 6:30 sharp, there was a knock at their front door. Jim opened it up and smiled when he saw the two young men standing with Barb in the hallway.

“Come in, you must be Max and Drew. My name is Jim Ellison and this is Blair Sandburg,” Jim introduced quickly.

Blair shook both of their hands and said, “Come on in. Don’t be shy. This is our home and you are most welcome here. We’re typed up a list of things you might like to know about us and anything else you need to know, just ask.”

Max looked down at the paper and was surprised to find personal information on the sheet. Jim said, “Come in and sit down.”

They followed Barb in and sat in the living room, while looking around. Jim could tell they liked the place immediately.

Drew was the first one to break the silence. “Do we get to share a room?”

Blair stood up and said, “If you come with us, we’ll show you your room. Yes, you’ll be sharing.” The room off the dining room and kitchen is designed to be an office for all of us.”

The boys followed Jim and Blair up the stairs and smiled when both of them smiled.

Max said, “This is a nice room. We could stay in this school district?”

“Yes, everything will stay the same. You will both have cell phones because Blair and I need to know where you are after school and things like that. But other then that, you’ll find out that you can bring friends over and do things that everyone else does,” Jim answered.

“When could we move in?” Max asked hopefully.

“Would tonight be too soon?” Blair asked just as hopefully.

Drew smiled at Max and said, “We could move tonight, Max.”

“Mrs. Chase, could we move tonight?” Max asked.

“If Jim and Blair would like to have you, that would be fine,” Barb said.

Jim said, “Do you need help with moving everything over?”

“We don’t have anything but a few clothes, so there is nothing to move,” Max replied.

“Well, tomorrow we’ll be clothes shopping,” Blair said. “And it looks like you both need shoes too. So we’ll have you all set for Monday.”

Both boys smiled and said, “Thank you for being so nice to us. We really dislike the other house. They aren’t nice at all.”

“We’re going to have rules, boys, but hopefully we can work through them just fine,” Jim said.

“We don’t mind rules or chores. We like to earn our keep,” Max stated.

Jim thought it sounded so sad coming out of a 15 year old’s mouth.

Barb said, “We’ll be back in about 30 minutes. We’ll see you then.”

Jim and Blair walked everyone to the door and closed it. Blair hugged Jim as soon as they were alone. “Didn’t they seem to be great?”

“Yes, I agree, they were great. I need to call Simon and tell him we need tomorrow off and then they can all meet them on Saturday,” Jim said.

Jim picked up his cell and called Simon. He was only on it for about five minutes and closed it and smiled at Blair. “He gave us a week off to shop for the boys.”

“That’s great, because they need everything. We should probably start shopping tonight. We could go to Walmart and get underwear, socks and lounge wear for now, don’t you think?” Blair wondered.

“Sure, we’ll go as soon as they get here. They’ll probably be glad to get some new things. I doubt that those people showed them any type of compassion at all.”

“I think you’re probably right, Jim. Now let’s wait for them to come back,” Blair said as he pulled Jim out to the balcony and they waited for Barb’s car to get there.

About 15 minutes later, Barb drove up and beeped when she saw them on the balcony. She had paperwork with her and the boys each had a brown paper sack with their things in it.

Jim and Blair walked inside and opened the door to all of them. “Welcome to your new home, boys,” Blair said happily.

“Thank you, Blair,” Max answered.

“Yeah, thank you,” Drew repeated.

“Jim and Blair, I need you to sign these papers really fast and then I’ll give you their birth certificates and things like that. I’m guessing you have a metal box or something to put them in?” Barb asked.

“I have a safe,” Jim said.

“Oh that’s right, that’s where you keep your guns when you’re not working, am I right?” Barb inquired.

“Yes, that was one thing that everyone seemed in agreement about,” Jim stated.

“Sign right here and here and Drew and Max are yours. I’m so thrilled for all of you; I just can’t even begin to tell you.”

Jim and Blair signed everything they needed to and Barb called the boys down from their room and said goodbye to them. “If you have any problems, you know my number, Max. Call me with any questions, understood?”

“Thank you, Mrs. Chase. We’ll be fine. This seems like a really nice place and Drew is doing well already. He put his toothbrush in the bathroom already,” Max said smiling.

Jim and Blair had to smile at that. They were glad that the boys were settling in already.

“Goodbye, Barb. Hopefully we won’t need you anytime soon,” Jim said shaking her hand.

“Thank you, Barb. You’ve been a great help and we appreciate it,” Blair said as he shook her hand too.

Barb hugged Max and Drew goodbye and walked out the door.

Blair said, “How about a trip to Walmart for underwear, socks, slippers, loungewear, pajama’s, whatever you wear?”

“That would be great. We don’t have much,” Max said shyly.

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that any more, Max. If you need anything, you just have to ask us. We’ll discuss it and go and take care of the problem,” Jim instructed.

“Thank you, Jim. You have no idea how horrible it was at the other house for Drew. They separated us, so I couldn’t be with him to help him too. That’s why we’re so thrilled to share a room,” Max confessed.

“Well that is the past. Now we’re going to be living in the future. No worries, guys, okay?” Blair asked.

“Sounds good to us,” Drew answered happily and smiled more then they had seen since they met him.

“Let’s go shopping,” Jim said.

Jim and Blair were thrilled. They knew that they were going to have their hands full with two teens, but they didn’t care. This was going to work.

End part 1

Family Life Part 2:
Settling In
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,369

Blair lay in Jim’s arms early the next morning and Blair whispered, “Do we tell the boys about your Sentinel senses?”

“Why would you want to do that?” Jim asked.

“They might find out later and get upset that you could hear what they said and so on. They might want to be a little more careful about what they say and do around here. I think we owe it to them to tell them about the senses,” Blair insisted.

“I think it’s going to confuse them and they don’t need that right now. This is their first week of school and us. Let’s give them some time to fit in first,” Jim said.

Blair gave in because he didn’t feel like fighting Jim on this anymore. But he wasn’t going to give it up all together. He felt the boys should know about Jim and it was as simple as that.

Jim was lying there not thinking about anything and almost asleep when he heard Max talking.

“Do you think they kiss and stuff when we’re not around?” He asked his little brother.

“I guess. Does that bother you, Max?” Drew asked.

“No, it doesn’t bother me, but I would be freaked out if they kissed in front of us, wouldn’t you?” Max asked.

“I guess I don’t really care. They’re so nice. They’re really good to us Max and I don’t want to go back to that other place. Please don’t tell me we have to,” Drew pleaded.

“I’m not going to say anything to them. But I don’t like that they sleep in the same bed. It’s gross,” Max explained.

“Max, promise me that you won’t mess this up for us. This is the best place we’ve ever had. They’re nice, who cares if they’re gay. Did somebody say something to you at school?” Drew wondered.

“Yeah, Blair came in a dropped some paperwork off at the office and the guys from the team asked me who it was. I told him he was my foster parent and they said he looked like a fag,” Max whispered.

“So what? I don’t care what they think, Max. You shouldn’t care either,” Drew whispered back.

Jim turned to Blair and said, “Okay, we’ll have a talk with the boys this morning about my senses. I just heard them talking and I don’t think they would want me to listen to them while discussing us.”

“Are they disgusted by us or something?” Blair asked, leaning into Jim for comfort.

“Max is. Drew is still on our side, but it won’t take much to change his mind. Chief, I don’t know if this is going to work,” Jim got out of bed and started putting his lounging pants on to go downstairs.

“Jim, take your shower, I’ll start breakfast and I’ll tell the boys all about you,” Blair said sweetly.

“Why should you have to do all of the hard stuff? Wait until after I get out of the shower and we’ll tell them together,” Jim said as he grabbed his clothing and walked down the stairs.

“Morning, Jim,” Drew said from the table.

“Morning, Drew,” Jim said quietly.

Drew watched him go into the bathroom and wondered if he had heard them talking. He got up from the table and walked upstairs to talk to Max.

“Max, I think Jim heard us talking,” Drew believed.

“Don’t be silly, he couldn’t have,” Max assured Drew.

“He looked upset and was very quiet this morning. I just know they’re going to get rid of us now,” Drew said worriedly.

“Drew stop worrying. Get ready for school and knock it off,” Max fussed.

“You better not have ruined things for us,” Drew said as he walked down the stairs to the bathroom for his shower.

“Good morning, Drew,” Blair called out from the kitchen making Drew stop and smile. At least Blair seemed to be all right. Drew wondered what was wrong with Jim.

By the time Jim got out of the shower, both boys were done getting ready for school and were sitting at the table waiting for Jim.

“I told the boys we have something to discuss with them,” Blair said quickly.

Jim sat down and took a drink of his coffee that Blair had thankfully poured for him ahead of time. “I need to tell you guys something. If you’re going to talk about us, you have to do it more quietly. I hear everything and I don’t want to be invading your space, but we have to live here together, so we’re going to have to figure something out.”

Blair said, “I called school and told them you were going to be late. We need to tell you about Sentinel senses.” Blair went on to tell them all about Jim and his senses, making both boys stare at Jim like mad. When he finished he asked, “Do you have any questions?”

“So like we can never say anything in the house?” Max asked.

“Not if you don’t want me to hear it. I’m going to try and turn down my hearing so I don’t hear everything you guys say, but I can’t promise I won’t hear something you don’t want me to,” Jim explained.

Max seemed a little irritated by the entire thing but Drew was upset. “You heard us this morning, didn’t you?”

“Yes, Drew, I did. But then I went into the shower and didn’t hear you anymore,” Jim said.

“Do we have to move back to the other place?” Drew asked sadly.

“No, of course not,” Blair said, “you’ll get used to us soon enough. Give yourself time and us too.”

Max turned to Jim and said, “Sorry about the things I said this morning.”

“Max, you don’t have to be sorry. You don’t have to like our lifestyle, that’s not part of the deal. You can hate our lifestyle and that’s fine. I just hope that you’ll some day learn to accept us and we can be a real family,” Jim said.

Drew looked over and Jim and Blair and said, “I want us to be a family too. Max will get better, I promise.”

“No, he doesn’t have to get better. He doesn’t have to like what we are or what we do. I just want him to be happy in this home,” Jim remarked.

“I am happy in this home and you and Blair don’t bother me too much. I’ll get used to you as time goes on. I promise. I promised Drew that I would never make him leave here and I don’t intend on breaking that promise,” Max said.

“Good, then we’ve got a deal. You guys have your privacy when I’m not around, but when I’m here, tone it down a little. Okay?” Jim asked.

Drew said, “I understand and it’s fine by me.”

Max stood up and said, “We better get going to school. We can make our first classes if we leave right now.”

Blair said, “Boys if you have any questions about us, you know you can ask us anything, right?”

Max and Drew both nodded their head in the affirmative.

“Good. Now come on and I’ll drop you at school so you have more time,” Blair said as he grabbed his keys. Blair had invested in a new car, he had a nice Chevy SUV, so he had plenty of room for Max and Drew and their friends.

As he drove them to school he said, “Why don’t you have some friends over this weekend? You’ve got the Wii and the Guitar Hero, you can drive Jim nuts with that.”

Drew started to laugh but Max didn’t. “We don’t need to have anyone over, we’ve got each other.”

“Max, this isn’t going to work if you’re embarrassed of us. We have to all try and work on this,” Blair said.

“I’m trying. It’s not as easy as you think. I like girls and I have no one to talk about it with,” Max said sadly.

“Max, I’m bi. I liked girls before I fell in love with Jim. So I understand. I can talk with you about anything,” Blair promised.

“And me too?” Drew asked.

“You too, Drew. I’m here for either of you. I’m always willing to listen to both of you. I wish you could reconsider having some friends over,” Blair tried to encourage them.

Drew smiled and said, “I’m going to ask Bill if he’d like to come this weekend. Do you mind meeting his mom?”

“I don’t mind at all. Give them our numbers and they can call me anytime. It would be nice to hear some laughter and noise in the loft after the quiet week you’ve had. I know you must be bored,” Blair said.

“I’m not bored at all, Blair. I like you and Jim,” Max admitted.

“Well, good, but think about having someone else over. It’s not like we’re going to make out on the sofa or anything,” Blair teased.

Max blushed because that’s what he was thinking about. “I’ll think about it, Blair.”

“Good, now get to classes, guys and I’ll see you at 6:00 tonight. Call me when you get home so we know you’re all right,” Blair reminded them.

“I’ll call,” Drew said as he got out of the SUV. “Thanks for the ride, Blair.”

“You are most welcome, now have a good day. We’ll see you tonight,” Blair said as they both headed up to the school.

Blair drove home and knew he was going to have to talk Jim into a better mood and honestly, Blair wasn’t exactly in the mood for it that day.

He walked in the front door and Jim was upstairs making their bed. Blair walked up and hugged him and said, “Things will work out, Jim. They like us, they just need to find a middle ground. Max is having a hard time right now, but he’ll come around.”

“I know. I need to be more patient and remember they’re only kids,” Jim assured Blair.

“All right, where is my lover and what have you done with him?” Blair joked.

“I’m right here and I’m trying to fit in too,” Jim confessed.

Blair kissed him and said, “I love you.”

“Don’t even get my motor running. I’m horny as hell,” Jim said with some frustration showing.

“We have to get them used to us first. We can’t scare them right now,” Blair reminded Jim.

“Tomorrow is our day off and the guys will be in school all day. What about then?” Jim planned.

“Sounds like a deal to me,” Blair agreed happily.

~~~~~

When Jim and Blair got home that night, there were two boys in the house that they didn’t know. They looked like nice boys and Jim hoped that they were.

“Jim and Blair, this is Mark and Mike. They are brothers too and live down the street. We’ve been playing Wii all afternoon and we had a good time. We ate a snack and cleaned up afterwards, so you don’t have to clean up after us,” Max explained.

“It’s good to meet you, Mark and Mike. Would you like to stay for dinner?” Jim asked as he took something out to fix.

“No, we have to get home by 6:30 or we’ll be in trouble,” Mike said.

“Do you need a ride home?” Blair asked.

“No, we’re walking. Thanks anyhow. See you tomorrow, Max. See you tomorrow, Drew,” Mike said as he gathered up his things and went to the door.

Mark said, “Maybe you could come to our house tomorrow.”

Drew and Max both looked at Jim and Blair to see what the answer was.

Blair said, “I don’t see why not as long as you call us at the station and let us know where you are.”

“Thanks,” Drew said bouncing in place, reminding Jim of a very young Sandburg.

The guys walked them to the elevator and then walked back in. Max asked, “Was it all right that they were here?”

“Sure, as long as from now on we know about it. It’s good to let anyone know when plans change,” Jim said.

“I think it’s great that you made friends so close by. They seem nice,” Blair said.

Jim was starting dinner and just listened to the guys talking to Blair. Jim felt a little left out now and then, but he had to remember that Blair was much more open and easier to talk to. At that moment, Drew walked up and said, “Can I help with dinner?”

Jim said, “That would be great. Do you know how to peel potatoes?”

“Of course I do, but you have to show me where the peeler is at,” Drew asked.

Jim showed him and the two of them talked about school and work while they made dinner. Jim found Drew quite comfortable with him and Jim was comfortable back. Maybe things would work out. Jim kept smiling, making Blair and Max smile too.

Jim said, “Get washed up for dinner, guys. It’s time.”

They rushed into their bathroom and washed their hands and Jim was beaming with happiness.

“They’re settling in, aren’t they?” Jim asked.

“I think so. I for one am thrilled,” Blair said.

“Me too,” Jim replied.

When they came out they all sat down at the table and ate a nice home-cooked meal. Drew said Grace every night thanking the good lord for Jim and Blair and all of the wonderful food they fed them.

Life was indeed good.

The end

Family Life Part 3:
Working Things Out
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,959

Jim and Blair were in the bullpen when Blair’s cell phone went off. “Sandburg.”

“Mr. Sandburg, this is Miss Mitchell at the school and I need you to come down and see the principal right away. It’s about Max, he was in a fight today.”

“Is he alright?” Blair asked quickly, making Jim pay attention. Blair knew that Jim would be listening in from then on.

“He’s going to be all right, but he started the fight, so we’re going to have to suspend him for three days from school. We need you to come and talk to us as soon as possible,” Miss Mitchell said, not sounding very friendly at all.

“We’ll be right there,” Blair said before he closed his cell.

“Maybe just one of us should go so Simon won’t be so pissed off when you say you have to leave. He’d be really irritated if both of us took off,” Jim suggested.

“You’re right, I was just hoping for some moral support. This is our first call from the school and Max is getting suspended? For crying out loud, I don’t believe this. He’s such a quiet non-violent type of kid. I’m just surprised. I’ll go and tell Simon I have to go to the school,” Blair said quickly.

“No, you’re right. I need to be there too. We’re doing this together and Simon will have to understand. He’s a parent, I’m sure he will,” Jim said as he grabbed his jacket. “But you get to tell him we’re leaving.”

“Oh thanks so much, Jim.”

Blair walked to Simon’s office and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” Simon barked.

“Simon there is a problem at school and they are suspending Max. So Jim and I need to go and take care of things,” Blair said hoping that Simon would understand.

“Why are you still here? Go. Get it taken care of. We’ll see you tomorrow,” Simon ordered.

“Thank you, sir,” Blair said softly as he walked out of the room.

Conner walked up to him and said, “Trouble, Sandy?”

“Just have to take care of things at the school. Max got in some trouble,” Blair explained somewhat.

“Call me later and fill me in. Don’t let them boss you around too much and don’t listen to everything they say. It might not be Max’s fault. He seems like a really nice boy and I hate to see him get in any type of trouble,” Conner said.

“Thanks, Conner. I need to go with Jim now. Talk to you later,” Blair said quickly as he moved to the elevator where Jim was waiting as patiently as he could.

They got on the elevator and Jim said, “Why did you tell Conner? Now everyone will know that Max is a trouble maker. I would like to keep some things private.”

“First of all, we don’t know what happened yet. He may not be in any trouble. We’re going to see what happened and go from there. Understood?” Blair growled.

Jim looked at the floor and said, “Sorry.”

“Not going to cut it, Jim. You instantly thought he was bad. First we find out what happened and then we move on from there,” Blair explained.

“You’re right. I’m sorry, really I am,” Jim said quietly.

“Why would he get in a fight? He’s just not the type at all,” Blair wondered aloud.

“Everyone is the type if they are pushed hard enough. Maybe something was said about us. Maybe things aren’t going as well at the school as we would like them to be? What if someone is giving him a hard time about us being gay?” Jim asked.

“Jim, let’s not jump to conclusions. It might be nothing and it might be something totally different. It might have something to do with Drew. We just don’t know yet. So let’s not worry until they give us something to worry about. There is one more thing, no flying off at the handle while we’re there. I don’t need two hot heads to deal with.”

“I promise to be good, no matter how badly I hate doing it,” Jim assured Blair.

“Thank you, now let’s get on the road,” Blair said as he stepped out of the elevator.

The drive over was quiet. Both of the men were thinking and both were thinking of similar things. Blair was sure it had something to do with the gay issue and Jim was sure it had to do with Max living with two guys. Both men were worried.

~~~~~

They walked into the school office and a woman said, “May I help you?”

“Yes, we’re here for Max Miller, we’re his Foster Parents,” Blair said calmly.

“Oh… Just one moment,” the woman said. She walked into the office next to her office and shut the door.

“What are they saying?” Blair asked Jim.

“I don’t know. I’m not listening. I’m on my best behavior, remember?”

“Well, listen,” Blair ordered and Jim opened up his hearing so he could hear what they were discussing.

“They both came, can you believe it? It’s no wonder the poor kid hasn’t got a chance in this school with them coming around,” the woman said angrily.

A man said, “Well, we’re going to have to deal with them. I just don’t know what to say. I don’t approve of this whole living situation and we shouldn’t have to deal with it.”

“I agree, Mr. Carter, but we have to talk to them and Max,” the woman reminded him.

“Send them in,” Carter ordered.

Jim leaned down and said, “We’ve got our hands full, Chief.”

Blair looked at him and whispered, “Bad?”

“Bad,” Jim answered.

The woman walked out and said, “I’m Miss Mitchell, would you follow me, please?”

Jim and Blair followed him into the principal’s office. The man stood up and said, “My name is Mr. Matt Carter and I’m the principal of this school. We’ve got some problems going on here and I think we need to address them.”

Jim said, “Where is Max?”

“He’ll join us in a while,” Carter said coldly.

“No, he’ll join us now. I won’t be discussing what happened without him in the room. Please call him in right now,” Blair suggested firmly.

Jim was impressed with how Blair was handling it so far.

Mr. Carter went to the door and opened it and said, “Bring Max in, now.”

Miss Mitchell walked away glaring at Jim and Blair through the doorway and retrieved Max and brought him into the room.

Max looked somewhat relieved to see Blair and Jim standing there.

“I’m really sorry,” Max said very softly.

“Would you like to tell them what the fight was over?” Carter asked.

“Someone said something horrible about you and Blair and things you did to Drew. So I hit him,” Max explained.

Jim and Blair looked at Carter for his next move and Carter said, “As you can see he’s out of control. This might not have happened if he would have been placed in a decent home.”

Blair stood taller and glared at Carter. “Decent? You’re saying we’re not decent, law abiding citizens?”

“You know what I’m talking about here,” Carter said.

“I’m sorry, I’m not sure I do. What are you talking about? Are you accusing us of hurting Drew in some way? Are you accusing us of doing anything illegal?” Jim asked.

“They need to be in a normal home with normal parents. There is no way they won’t get teased by everyone that knows that they live with two men,” Carter answered.

“You didn’t answer my questions. Are we being accused of anything?” Jim asked once again.

“Of course not. We have no proof that you’ve done anything to Drew that we know of. But this can’t go ignored,” Carter said rather snidely.

“That you know of? So you think there is something going on and no one was called? Why haven’t you turned us in if you think this is going on?” Blair asked this time.

“We may file a report today after we talk to Drew,” Carter said.

“You’re going to have a talk with Drew without us present?” Blair inquired.

“Yes, we have the right to talk to him anytime we choose to,” Carter said nastily.

“And we have the right to call a lawyer. In fact, I think we’re going to do that now and we’re going to sue this school. Max has done nothing wrong. He acted in the appropriate way that anyone would when someone said something like this about their Fosters. The boy who said this should be in this room right now, not Max as far as I’m concerned. We’re taking Max home and calling a lawyer right now. By the way, Carter, do you know what we do for a living?” Blair asked bitterly.

“Probably lawyers,” Carter said with a smart ass smile.

“We’re cops. You’re going down for this, Carter. This won’t be allowed. Max and Drew will be home schooled until we have a meeting with the board. Then we’ll see if you’re still employed before we bring them back,” Blair said. Blair opened up the door and told Miss Mitchell, “We need Drew right this minute. He’s not staying here any longer then he has to.”

Miss Mitchell said, “Mr. Carter, can they take him out?”

“What are you asking him for? We’re the Foster Parents, we can take him whenever we like. Now do what I ask or we’re calling the police right now,” Blair bellowed.

Jim was ready to pop both of them in the mouth, but he had promised Blair he would be good, so he was going to be good.

“Carter, I would get on the phone now and set up a meeting with the board as soon as possible. My lawyer isn’t going to wait. I don’t want money, I want someone in this job that gives a damn about kids,” Blair shouted.

“I think you’ve let this get out of control,” Carter said quickly when Blair was quiet for one moment.

Jim took over, “You’re out of control, Mr. Carter. You will be sued. I don’t care what my partner said. You’re going to be made to pay. These boys have had enough problems in their lives haven’t they? It’s time they had a decent life and whether you agree or not, you can ask Max, he’s living a decent life. We’ve given he and Drew a good life.”

“In your opinion, Mr. Ellison, but no one else agrees with you,” Carter shouted this time.

“Fine, we’ll get this settled in the court system. We’re used to the courts, you’re not. We’ll be ready and in the mean time, get ready, yourself for another job. I won’t be happy until you’re gone,” Jim said very angrily.

Drew walked in and said, “What’s wrong?”

“Come on boys, we’ll discuss this on the way home,” Blair said as he led the boys out to the hallway.

“Oh Mr. Ellison, everyone knows they’re being raised by fags, so why not give them a fair chance in life and let them go elsewhere? If you really cared about them as much as you say, you would give them a better life.”

Jim stormed out of the office and caught up with Blair and the boys.

“What’s going on?” Drew asked once again.

“Wait until we get out to the car,” Jim said.

“Are you angry with us?” Drew asked sounding very young and scared.

“No, I’m not angry with you two at all. Now let’s get in the car and we’ll talk about this,” Jim said softly this time.

When they got in the car and they all buckled up, Blair turned and said, “Drew, Max was told today that Jim and I did terrible things to you and he punched someone’s lights out and he got in trouble for it.”

“Why didn’t the other kid get in trouble? That’s a big fat lie,” Drew said angrily.

“Drew, don’t worry about it, I took care of it,” Max replied.

“Max, violence is never the answer,” Blair said.

“Are you mad at me for hitting him?” Max asked.

“I’m mad at you for not calling us and letting us help you with it. We can’t go around hitting people. If we could, Jim and I would have hit Mr. Carter about 20 times already,” Blair joked a little.

Max smiled, so the tension was easing. But Jim was very angry and wasn’t going to calm down that easily.

“Mr. Carter said that the kids all know about you being raised by two gay men and they won’t let you forget it. I’m wondering if we’re the best placement for you, Max and Drew. Why wouldn’t you want to be happy with a normal family?”

Blair was speechless, which was very unusual, he was never speechless.

“We don’t want a normal family, then. I can handle the guys in my class. I won’t hit anyone from now on, I promise. But we don’t want to move. We like it at your house. We made some new friends and everything,” Max reminded Jim.

“Jim, what are you thinking of?” Blair asked.

“I’m thinking of two young men that have to deal with being teased every day by idiots just because you and I felt like we could make a difference. Well, we sure made a difference today didn’t we? They’re out of school, one that they didn’t want to leave and we’re getting a lawyer. What part of this was ever in our game plan, Blair?” Jim answered.

“So it’s not in our game plan, but that doesn’t make the jerk right. We have a right to have a family, just as much as Drew and Max do. They didn’t choose someone else, they chose us. Now calm down and think before you say things in front of the boys,” Blair replied.

“They’re old enough to know the truth, Blair.”

Max said, “Please don’t fight.”

“Yeah, Max hates when anyone argues with anyone else. Our parents used to do it all the time and then they split up and neither of them wanted us. Is that what you and Blair will do too?” Drew asked unhappily.

“Okay, we won’t argue anymore. But we have to think about what’s good for you. You can’t leave a school that you’re happy in just because of us,” Jim explained.

“I agree,” Max answered.

“But Max, we just left,” Jim reminded him.

“For the day, not forever. I can handle those guys. They don’t really bother me. Honestly, they don’t.” Max argued.

“I’m getting a lawyer and we’ll have you back in school in no time. In the mean time, we’ll home school,” Blair said.

“Blair, how do you think we’re going to do that and work too?” Jim asked.

“One of us will have to work nights for the time being. I’ll gladly work nights for a few weeks if need be,” Blair volunteered.

“Wait a minute. I just want to go back to school. I don’t want to be home schooled, that would make things worse. If they think they won, it’ll be harder for us when we go back,” Max interjected.

“You think they’ll let the boys back in school tomorrow?” Blair asked Jim.

“We could try. We’ll take them and tell Mr. Carter and Miss Mitchell that we’ll have our ears to the ground for any problems that they make. We could try it. They might just let this drop,” Jim assumed.

“We’ll still get a lawyer, though, right?” Blair asked.

Max looked sadly at Blair and said, “I just want to go to school and fit in. I don’t want to make waves. I wouldn’t even mind slugging someone and getting sent home for three days if it worked and I’m sure it did. They found out I’m not a pushover.”

Jim said, “Blair, I think the boys know what’s best for them in the long run. I thought it would be letting them go to another home, but Max and Drew have made it clear that they’re happy with us and that’s all that counts for me.”

“We just want to fit in. Working things out are hard enough as it is, we don’t want lawyers and all of that. Please?” Max asked Blair.

“Okay,” Blair answered, not agreeing with any of them, but realizing that he wanted the boys to be happy and if that made them happy, then so be it.

“Good, we’ll try to go to school tomorrow then,” Drew said sounding relieved.

“Well, we have a half a day to kill, would you boys like to go to an art gallery with me. I have a friend that has a new display of Native American Artifacts that I would love for you to see,” Blair suggested.

“That sounds fun, Blair. I would love to go,” Drew answered.

“So would I,” Max replied.

“Actually, it sounds like a good idea to me too,” Jim said smiling at his lover. Jim knew that it was going to take more then that to get Blair to smile, but he was wrong. Blair smiled at all three of them. “So where is this gallery?”

Blair gave him directions and they all started talking about anything and everything and Jim got the sense of a real feeling of family for the first time. It felt good and he was glad that Blair had talked him into all of this. But that didn’t mean that Jim was going to let Carter off easily. No, Carter was going to be watched from this day on.

The end

Family Life Part 4
Letting Go
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,435

When they got home from the art gallery, Blair excused himself into the office and left Jim with Drew and Max.

“Is he all right?” Drew asked.

“I think he’s going to call a friend of his that’s a lawyer. We’ll see what we need to do next,” Jim explained.

Max said, “Can I help make dinner?”

“That would be great. You can both help. We’re having stew, so one of you can peel the carrots and one can peel the potatoes. There are two peelers in the drawer. Five potatoes and ten carrots, please,” Jim instructed.

Both boys got instantly busy and started doing their chores. Jim liked hearing them talk about school and friends while helping him. It was a nice feeling.

~~~~~

“Teresa, this is Blair.”

“Is something wrong, Blair?”

“Nothing that you can’t help me with,” Blair confessed.

“Fill me in. What’s going on?” Teresa asked nicely.

Blair did just that. He told her everything that had happened that day and what they planned on doing the next day. When he was finished, he settled back to hear what she had to say.

“You need to get an appointment with the school board as soon as possible. So I’ll call tomorrow and set that up. I’ll also be with you whenever the board convenes. Don’t worry about a thing, Blair; this is in our hands now too. Relax and enjoy your family life,” Teresa promised.

“Thank you, Teresa, I don’t know what I would have done without you,” Blair admitted.

“I’ll contact them in the morning and tell them that the boys will be continuing classes until we meet. I’ll call you if there is a problem of any sort,” Teresa said before she hung up the phone.

When Blair walked out of the office, he could smell the stew cooking and it smelled wonderful. “Wow, someone’s doing a good job cooking. It smells great in here.”

Jim smiled and said, “It was quick and easy because both of the boys helped get everything ready. Now it just has to simmer for the next hour and we’ll eat dinner.”

“I called Teresa and she said she would call and set up the appointment with the school board. She said it would look better if she did it. We’re supposed to take the guys back as if nothing happened and see what they say. She’s going to go with us to the meeting when they call it,” Blair explained.

“Good, we don’t have to miss school,” Max said. “I have a test tomorrow and I think I’m going to pass it with flying colors. I hated to miss it.”

“Thank you, Blair for looking out for us. You too, Jim,” Drew said.

“It’s our job, Drew. We take it seriously. Now let’s go ahead and set the table and get ready for dinner,” Blair ordered with a smile on his face.

~~~~~

The following morning, Jim walked in with the boys and Mr. Carter glared at them. “Max is suspended, he can’t be here.”

“I’m waiting on our meeting with the school board, so until that happens, he’s not suspended. He’s here and will go to all of his classes as usual,” Jim growled.

Miss Mitchell said, “You can’t tell us what to do.”

“I can and I will. Our lawyer is talking to the school board this morning. We’ll see how strong you look when the school board hears what you have said to us,” Jim reminded them.

“We’re just saying what everyone wants to say but didn’t have the nerve,” Miss Mitchell said hatefully.

“Max and Drew, go to your classes,” Jim said.

The two boys hurried off before Mr. Carter told them not to.

“Who do you think you are, coming in here and telling us what to do?” Carter asked.

“I’m a parent and that’s what parents do,” Jim stated.

“Real parents are a mom and a dad, not two men. We’ll remind the board of that,” Miss Mitchell said.

“If I hear that you have done anything to these boys in the next few days, I’m going to sue before the hearing. Am I understood?” Jim warned.

“Please leave,” Mr. Carter said angrily and walked back into his office.

Jim never wanted to smack someone as badly as he did Carter. That man was evil and cruel and wasn’t going to stop at that, Jim could tell.

Jim walked out to the SUV and got in. “Well, I think he’s going to give us plenty of trouble.

“That’s fine, we have plenty of time to fight him with. The state is behind us 100%, and he’s got no one behind him,” Blair reminded Jim.

“We may need to check in with the boys during the day,” Jim suggested.

“Jim, cell phones aren’t allowed at school, so we’ll have to wait until they get home. Stop worrying. They’re smart boy’s, they’ll call us as soon as they’re home.”

“Have you heard from Teresa today?” Jim asked.

“No, not yet, but she’ll call when she has news,” Blair assured Jim.

“What do you want to see done about Mr. Carter?” Jim inquired.

“I want to see him demoted and I want Miss Mitchell fired. She deserves even less then he does,” Blair said.

Blair’s phone rang at that moment and he answered, “Sandburg.”

“Hi Blair, this is Teresa. I have an appointment, but they want to meet today. This afternoon at 3:00 is the time they set aside. Will that work for you?”

“Yes, we’ll be there, don’t you worry. Are you going to be able to make it?” Blair wondered.

“Yes, I’ve set aside the time for myself, so that I will be there from the beginning. Hopefully this will be a one shot deal. But you never know with the school board. Don’t bring the boys unless they ask for it. They didn’t and I can’t see dragging them through this unless they insisted.”

“We’ll see you at 3:00, Teresa,” Blair said before he closed his cell.

“Already today? That means we’re going to have to take time off again. Simon might lose his patience if we do this,” Jim said.

“That’s the breaks, Jim. He’s had to take off a lot of time for Daryl. So I don’t want to even hear anything about it. These are our boys and I want them to be happy,” Blair stated.

“You can tell Simon,” Jim joked.

“I will, it’s not a biggy to me,” Blair answered.

“I’ve noticed that when it comes to the boys, you’re a fighter,” Jim said.

“They’ve never had anyone in their corner before Jim. They deserve someone. I’m glad to do it and I noticed you didn’t mind either,” Blair said smiling.

“Let’s see how this school board meeting goes and then we’ll make plans after that.”

~~~~~

At the station, Jim and Blair filled everyone in on what had happened to Max and the treatment they all received afterwards. Joel was the maddest of all.

“I think someone should go down there and punch his lights out. He doesn’t know us, he wouldn’t put two and two together,” Joel said.

“Violence isn’t the answer, Joel. That’s what we told Max too. He’s going to try and be calmer about things. We told him to try and not care what people say about Jim and me. After all, they don’t matter to us at all,” Blair said.

“Do you need anyone to go with you to the school board meeting?” Conner asked.

“We were going to ask you, Simon. We thought it would look good to have our boss with us. They don’t need to know that we’re friends too,” Blair suggested.

“I would be proud to go along with you, they need to be stopped before someone really gets hurt,” Simon agreed.

Rafe said, “Do you need anything from us?”

Jim smiled and said, “No, we’re good. Thank you all for being here for us. That means the world to us.”

“What are you going to do if you win this thing with the school board?” Conner questioned.

“We’re going to start letting go. It’s time that all of the anger, hurt and pain leaves. Those boys had enough of that in their lives already. Now we’ll just be letting go,” Blair answered.

Everyone went back to work at their desks and tried to pretend that something big wasn’t about to happen.

At 2:00, Jim and Blair went in to Simon’s office. “Simon, do you think we should get there somewhat early?” Blair asked

“Yes, I do believe that would make sense. Let’s go now,” Simon said as he started for the door.

“Thank you, Simon for everything you do for us,” Blair said very gratefully.

“Yeah, what he said,” Jim agreed.

“No need to thank me. Remember you two came to Peru to help Daryl and me, so let’s just say friends do this for friends,” Simon pointed out.

~~~~~

Jim, Blair, Simon and Teresa sat down at the table with the chairs and waited for the board to convene. Jim was getting nervous and hoped he didn’t blow this big time.

Blair noticed that Jim was getting antsy and said, “Stay calm, big man. Remember this is for the boys.”

“Okay, I’m going to do my best,” Jim replied.

The school board convened and they introduced themselves to Jim, Blair, Simon and Teresa. Then Teresa stood up and introduced everyone sitting at the table to the board.

“Can you tell us what is going on, Mr. Ellison?” Mr. Kline asked.

Jim began telling them the entire story and didn’t leave anything out. He even said what they had told him before he left that day about doing what was good for the boys. When he was done he sat back down.

“Do you have anything to add, Mr. Carter?” Mr. Kline asked.

“We just felt like someone had to take a stand against this type of thing happening at the school. It’s a sickness and should be stopped. Those boys would be better off with a normal family,” Carter said.

“For your information, Mr. Carter, I was raised by two women and I turned out just fine. Now first of all, we’re going to demote you to assistant principal and put in someone that is good and understanding for all of the kids. You will have to answer to him or her and a report will be filed weekly for one month on your progress. If you show no progress, then we have no choice but to let you go. We can’t have people like you making up rules. The board makes the rules, not you,” Mr. Kline said.

“What about me?” Miss Mitchell asked.

“You will be demoted to receptionist at the front desk and you will either like it or you can leave,” Mr. Kline answered.

“This hardly seems fair. Just because you were raised in that sickness too, doesn’t make it right,” Miss Mitchell shouted.

“Miss Mitchell, you have a choice. Either you’ll be a receptionist at the front desk or leave. Which will it be?” Mr. Kline ordered.

“I can’t leave, I have bills to pay,” Miss Mitchell answered.

“Then you’ll be there tomorrow morning to answer phones at the front desk. Now, I think this takes care of everything. I want it to be written that if those boys are treated badly for any reason there will be another hearing and this time, no one will keep their jobs. Is this understood?” Mr. Kline asked.

“Understood,” Mr. Carter answered, unhappily.

Mr. Kline went over a few more things and then he called an end to the meeting. He informed Jim, Blair and Teresa that they would be receiving a copy of the minutes taken from the meeting.

They all got up to leave and Teresa said, “Wow, this went really well. We lucked out not having to fight them on it.”

Simon looked at his friends and said, “Congratulations, men. It seems like it worked out well. But I would watch that Carter and Mitchell, they seemed a little fishy to me.”

“We’ll stay on top of it, Simon, don’t you worry,” Jim assured him.

Blair’s cell rang and he saw it was Max. “Hey Max, how are you?”

“We had a good day today. No one gave us any trouble. Can Mike and Mark come over while you’re gone, or do they have to wait until you’re here?” Max asked.

“They can come over now, because we’re on our way home. I’ll make up a treat for all of you when I get there. Talk to you soon,” Blair said.

Blair closed his cell and said, “They had a good day. They’re happy.”

Jim sighed with relief and said, “Thank God.”

“I told them we would be home in a few minutes. Mike and Mark are coming over and I’m going to make S’mores for them,” Blair said.

“Hot damn, I love S’mores,” Jim said.

“Would you like to come Teresa and Simon?” Blair asked.

“I would,” Simon said quickly.

“I have to get back to my office, but thank you anyhow. I’ll talk to you all later. Have fun eating your S’mores,” Teresa said smiling.

“Follow us over, Simon and we’ll have you stay for dinner too,” Jim added.

“That would be nice. Thank you. I’d like to get to know the boys a little better. That’s one way of doing it. Thank you for having me,” Simon stated.

“Thank you for standing up for us. Whenever we need you, Simon, you’re always there. You’re the best boss and friend we could ever hope to have,” Blair admitted.

Simon left and Jim and Blair got into their SUV for the ride home.

“Do you believe how easily that was taken care of Blair?”

“Yes, I do. I believed in standing up for what we thought was right and it turned out for the best. I’m glad that we didn’t let them win,” Blair said.

“The boys are going to be so glad to know that nothing is going to happen to them. At the same time, they’ll be thrilled to know that Mr. Miller won’t be their principal anymore. Oh who am I kidding? They’re sitting at home right now saying how much they want their treat,” Jim joked.

“Yes, everything is going to be fine. It’s time for letting go of the anger we all had and moving on,” Blair said.

“I love you, Chief.”

“And I love you, Jim.”

The end

Family Life Part 5
Brothers
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,574

It was a bright and beautiful Saturday morning when Drew woke up to a smiling Max sitting on his already made bed.

“What’s up? Why are you up and ready? Today is Saturday. We’re just bumming around the house today. Jim and Blair have to work, did you forget?” Drew asked shaking his dark head trying to wake up the entire way.

Max continued to smile and brushed his hand through his opposite, blond hair and answered, “We’re going to have a meeting.”

“About what?” Drew asked nervously.

“About Jim and Blair. We need to discuss and see if they’re doing what they said they would do and if we’re feeling good about them,” Max instructed.

“Please don’t tell me you want to move, Max.”

“Drew, I didn’t say anything about moving did I? I want to know how we’re doing in this household.”

“Can I at least take a shower first?” Drew asked.

“Sure, I’ll make your bed while you’re showering and getting dressed. Hurry it up, will ya?” Max ordered.

Max walked down the stairs and into the bathroom and hoped he would say all of the right things to Max today. Max had told him a month ago that they were going to have a meeting and see if Jim and Blair met all of their requirements. Drew sure hoped they did, because he really liked it at Jim and Blair’s house. He showered and dressed as quickly as he could and walked back upstairs to have the ‘meeting’.

Max was sitting on the end of his bed, so Drew did the same on his own bed. “So what are we going to talk about?” Drew wondered.

“We’re going to discuss everything about this arrangement. First up, is the house, what do you think of it?” Max asked.

“I love this house, don’t you?” Drew inquired.

“Drew don’t just ask questions, answer them. What do you like about the house?”

“Okay, I love the house because we have our own room and bathroom. Everything is nice and clean. We get clean sheets every Saturday, which is something we never knew before. We get to put up any pictures on the walls that we want, although, we don’t. Why is that, Max?”

“Maybe we don’t feel comfortable in this house,” Max suggested.

“I do. I do feel comfortable. I just don’t want to muck up the walls with junk and ruin the nice clean look that we have. That’s why we haven’t hung anything up yet,” Drew said proudly that he thought of the reason on his own.

Max smiled and agreed, “I think you’re right. The bedroom is very comfortable, but I wouldn’t want to mess it up either.”

“Do you like the bathroom, Max?”

“What’s not to like? We have a shower and a whirlpool tub. We have everything we need in there and anything we ask for, they get it for us. Why wouldn’t we like the bathroom?” Max asked.

“The kitchen is cool. There is plenty of room for all of us to help cook and I like helping with dinner. Do you?” Drew questioned.

“Oh yeah, I like spending time with them in the kitchen too. It’s a nice way to pass the time. Plus, they are teaching us cooking. I like that a lot,” Max admitted.

“Me too, I really like that we know how to make our own breakfast now and they trust us to make them breakfast. I think they’re getting used to us too,” Drew confessed.

“So the kitchen, the bedroom and the bathroom all work for us so far? Am I right?” Max asked.

“Oh yeah, all of them work. I love the living room, especially when we watch the big screen tv together. I feel like we’re a family then, do you?” Drew wondered.

“I like the feeling at Mike and Marks when the family is all together and lately I’ve been feeling that here too. I think we’re getting used to them and they’re getting used to us,” Max declared.

“Do you like eating dinner with them every night? Or do you miss eating in our room?” Drew inquired.

“I love eating at the table with Jim and Blair. I feel really good when we’re all together,” Max said.

“Me too, Max, me too.”

“So the house is working, in other words? We have no complaints about the house or the rules?” Max asked.

“I don’t mind picking up after ourselves and I feel like we owe them that much,” Drew acknowledged.

“I don’t know that they would want us to do anything because we owed it to them. I think they want us to learn how to do chores in exchange for our allowance. And speaking of the allowance, what do you think of that?”

Drew thought a moment and said, “We’ve never had an allowance, so I don’t know what to say. I like having spending money and feeling like we earned it too. So I guess I like that part.”

“I like that part too, Drew. Do you mind any of the house rules?”

“Well, to be honest, I think they make us go to bed too early. We should be able to stay up later, don’t you think?” Drew observed.

“But if we stayed up later, we wouldn’t be able to get up in the morning as easily and have all the time we need to do our chores. Right?” Max remarked in Jim and Blair’s favor.

“That’s true. We do get up early. Do you mind doing chores every day, Max?”

“No, I feel like we should. They do so much for us, it’s something little we can do for them. Do you hate doing chores, Drew?”

“Oh no, I just wondered how you felt about them.”

“All right, the house is fine, the chores are fine and we like having an allowance. Is there anything else that you like about this place?” Max said.

“I like having friends over and Jim and Blair not checking on us every minute,” Drew divulged.

“Drew, Jim can hear us all over the house, so he’s probably listening to us, don’t you think?”

“Oh, I never thought about that. He probably doesn’t trust us then, he’s probably listening and taking notes for Blair,” Drew commented almost sadly.

“Drew, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I just meant that Jim knows we’re not doing anything wrong, so why check on us. We’re pretty good guys, don’t you think?”

“I don’t know, Max. We’ve lived in a lot of different homes before this. I hope this one lasts.”

Max shook his head in the affirmative and said, “So you like having friends over? You feel comfortable having them know about Jim and Blair?”

“Know what?” Drew asked.

“About Jim and Blair being a couple,” Max reminded him.

“Oh yeah, sometimes I forget myself. I don’t care if anyone knows. If they are our friends, they will understand and accept them, right?”

Max smiled and said, “You’re a really good little brother, have I told you that lately?”

“Not lately, but I knew it. I love you too, Max.”

“Good, I just wanted you to know it. We’ve been pretty busy for the last month and I haven’t had enough time to do things with you that I used to do.”

“That’s because we have Jim and Blair spending time with us now. We don’t have to do everything for each other, they help out. I like going to the movies with them and out to eat. I just love spending time with them. Does this mean we’re a family?” Drew wondered.

“Drew, you’re my family. You always will be. I don’t think Jim and Blair will ever feel for us like a real family. That’s something only parents do.”

“You don’t think they like us?”

“Of course they like us, Drew. But they don’t love us. That’s a family thing and we’re not getting that here.”

“Why not?” Drew asked.

“We’re not their kids. We’re just someone for them to take care of so they can feel good about themselves,” Max said sadly.

“Max, you really feel that way?” Drew asked just as sadly.

“No, I wish they did feel towards us in that way, but we’re not their kids. We’re never going to have that feeling. We better get used to that, Drew.

“Max, we had parents and they weren’t nice to us. What about that? Why didn’t they love us?”

“Because they were selfish idiots, that’s why. Anyone would be thrilled to have you as their kid, Drew. You’re a really nice boy. So am I. We’re good kids,” Max assured Drew.

“Then why couldn’t Jim and Blair love us some day? If not now, maybe someday later on?”

“I just don’t want you to get your hopes up, Drew. I want you to realize that we’re just Foster kids. That’s all we’ll ever be,” Max explained.

“So we’ll never get hugs from them when it’s time for bed? Mike and Mark still get hugs at bedtime. I miss getting hugs. They’ll never hug us just because?” Drew asked.

“Probably not, Drew. Do you like Jim and Blair?”

“I like them more then anyone we’ve ever been with. They’re the best. I really, really like them. I think I might love them like parents. Is that wrong, then?” Drew asked unhappily.

“No, it’s not wrong, but I would never say anything, because they might make us leave then,” Max decided.

“Do you have any more questions, Max?”

“No, I think that’s all of them. My last one might be if we had to move tomorrow, would you be upset?”

“I would cry, honestly, I would. You know I don’t cry, Max, but I would if we had to leave. I really like it here with them and I love Jim and Blair. I don’t know why we can’t tell them how we feel,” Drew said, looking very confused.

“Go ahead and tell them then. See what they say,” Max almost dared him.

“I just might. I don’t think they’ll make us move,” Drew said.

“I hope not, because this is the best place we’re ever going to have. I don’t even mind when Jim looks at Blair like he wants to kiss him,” Max admitted.

“I wouldn’t mind if they kissed. It wouldn’t bother me at all.”

“I don’t think it would bother me either. Maybe we should tell them that,” Max wondered.

“So we’re staying, right?” Drew asked.

Max smiled and said, “Until they kick us out, yes, we’re staying.”

“Good, I’m glad. Now can we go play some Wii before Jim and Blair get home from work?” Drew asked.

“Sure, come on, you’re going to get your butt kicked.”

They laughed as they walked up the stairs. Little did they know that Jim and Blair were in the parking lot and Jim had heard most of their conversation.

“Oh Jim, I can’t believe they worry about this stuff. Poor little guys,” Blair said sadly as Jim filled him in on each subject they discussed.

“They’re getting hugs tonight and there’s no way around that,” Jim said.

“Jim, they’re going to know you listened. That might upset them.”

“Okay, we’ll drive away and call from down the street. We’ll see if they’re in the mood to go to a movie today and out to eat for dinner,” Jim suggested.

“Okay, but that won’t fix everything they’re worried about,” Blair said.

“I’m hugging them today when we get home, so just forget about not hugging them,” Jim warned.

“All right. Let’s call from down the road and tell them we’re on our way home and want to take them out. Then when we get there we’ll give them each a hug and tell them what a good job they’re doing with everything.”

Jim drove down the street and parked. He pulled his cell out and called the house number. Max answered, “Hello?”

“Hey Max, its Jim. Would you and Drew like to go for a movie and dinner tonight? We’re on our way home now and just wondered if you felt like making plans.”

“Hi Jim, that would be great. We wanted to see the Iron Man movie really bad, do you think we could go and see that?”

“Max, that would be terrific. We’ll be home in about 20 minutes, so you guys be ready, okay?” Jim asked.

“We’re ready. We’ve got our chores done and everything,” Max bragged.

“You boys are the best. Thank you. We’ll see you in 20 minutes,” Jim said before he closed his cell.

Jim filled Blair in on what Max said and Blair smiled. “God, they’re good boys aren’t they? We got very lucky with those two. I’m going to make a point in telling them daily how well they’re doing. I’ve been trying not to push it, but I think they need to know how we feel.”

Jim said, “I totally agree with you. We couldn’t have asked for nicer boys. They are the best of brothers and I’m proud of that. “

Blair said, “Come on, it’s been long enough. I want to see our boys.”

“And you know what, Blair? If I want to kiss you, I’m going to kiss you from now on. They don’t mind. Neither of them do. We’ve been dancing around them this whole time, when we should have just asked them.”

Jim drove into the parking lot and they got out. The boys were on the balcony waving to Jim and Blair. Jim and Blair both waved back and gave them a giant smile.

When they walked in the door, Blair immediately hugged Drew and said, “Thank you for the greeting. It means a lot to us.”

Drew hugged him back and said, “You’re welcome.”

Jim hugged Max and said, “Ditto.”

Max hugged Jim really hard and said, “You know what? We really like you guys. We want to stay with you forever. Is that all right?”

Jim smiled and so did Blair. Jim finally recovered enough to talk and said, “That’s fine with us.”

“Blair, if you want to kiss or hug Jim, why don’t you? This is your home too. You should be comfortable enough to do that in front of us,” Max said.

Jim leaned down and kissed Blair and said, “Thanks, guys. This means a lot to us. You’re the best guys around. We’re very grateful for both of you. Thank you for giving us a chance.”

Max smiled and said, “Thank you for giving us a chance too. We really like you guys a lot.”

Blair said, “I hope I don’t scare you off, but I love you boys. You’re the best.”

Drew beamed with happiness at the remark and answered, “We love you guys too. We were afraid to say it.”

“Never be afraid of anything in this house. Understood?” Blair asked.

“Understood,” They both answered at the same time.

“So who’s up for Iron Man 2?” Jim asked.

Both of the boys ran to get their jackets and Jim and Blair just smiled at each other fondly and knew that today was a turning point. They couldn’t ask for a better day.

Upstairs, Max whispered to Drew, “I think they heard us. But I don’t care.”

“Neither do I, brother, neither do I.”

The end

Family Life Part 6
Meeting the Family
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,676

Everyone was sitting at the dinner table and Jim said, “I think it’s time you meet my dad and my brother.”

Max smiled and said, “That would be nice, he would be like a grampa to us, right?”

Blair said, “Yes, and I’m calling my mom to see if she can stop by Cascade and meet you two. She always wanted grandchildren, so this will be the next best thing.”

Drew looked happily from one face to another and said, “I can’t wait to meet everyone. We’ve never had a real family before. This is sort of exciting.”

Jim laughed and replied, “Don’t get too excited, Drew. My family isn’t that much to speak of. My dad will probably find something to bitch about and my brother will ask if we’re insane.”

Blair burst out laughing and said, “Boy, are you right about that. My mom will probably do much of the same.”

“Why do you want us to meet them, if you’re worried about what they’re going to say or do?” Max asked.

“It’s been a month, Max, it’s time to share you with everyone else,” Blair stated.

“I think it’s nice and I think they’ll like us,” Drew said.

“I’m sure they will,” Jim agreed.

They all began to clear the table and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Max washed and Drew loaded, that was the normal routine while Jim scrubbed down the table and counters. Blair looked on to make sure everything was done right and realized he had the best job of all.

Jim went into the office and dialed his dad’s number.

“Ellison,” William answered.

“Hi dad, this is Jim. I wanted to ask you over for a barbecue this weekend. We have someone we want you to meet.”

“Who?” William wondered.

“We took in two foster children last month and they’re beginning to settle in and I wanted them to meet you and Steven,” Jim explained.

“You and Blair adopted two kids?” William asked.

“No, we’re just foster parents. Drew is 13 and his brother Max is 15. They’re great boys, you’ll like them dad.”

“I’m sure I will. What time and day do you want me there?” William inquired.

“What about Saturday at 2:00? We’re going to have steaks, if that’s all right with you,” Jim said.

“You know I love steaks, Jimmy, so that’s fine with me. But your brother is in Japan working out some deal so he won’t be able to make it.”

“That’s too bad, I was hoping Drew and Max could meet him,” Jim said.

“He’ll be back on Sunday, as far as I know,” William explained.

“That’s all right, we’ll have them meet him another weekend. He’ll be tired after getting off the plane on Sunday. We’ll see you on Saturday at 2:00. Thanks, dad.”

“You don’t have to thank me for coming over and seeing my son,” William said almost laughing.

“It’s going to be great to see you with them. Wait and see.”

“Bye, Jimmy.”

“Bye, dad.”

Jim walked out of the office and said, “It’s your turn Chief. I invited dad for Saturday at 2:00. So it’s a plan. See if your mom can make it by then.”

“Off I go,” Blair said as he hurried into the office.

Max said, “So what is your dad like?”

“He’s a grouch nine times out of ten, but he’ll be on his best behavior since you guys are here. He can be a really nice man when he wants to be. You might like him. I know he’s going to like the two of you. It’ll be his second chance at being a better parent.” Jim laughed making Drew and Max wonder why he said that.

“Jim, I’m sure he’s a nice guy,” Drew said happily.

“He is a nice guy most of the time, but it can be moody,” Jim said.

Max laughed and said, “We’ll be on our best behavior while he is here.”

“Max, you’re both always good, so that’s not a stretch.”

“Thanks, Jim for having the barbecue and inviting family over. We’re not used to that at all,” Max explained.

“Things are different now, Max. Things will continue to get better as time goes on, you wait and see.”

~~~~~

Blair finally tracked down his mother and said, “Naomi, you finally have grandchildren and we’d like you to come this weekend to meet them.”

“What do you mean I have grandchildren, you’re with Jim,” Naomi inquired.

Blair sighed and said, “We’re foster parents to a 13 year old boy and his 15 year old brother. They’re great kids, mom and can’t wait to meet you.”

“They’re almost grown, Blair. Why wouldn’t you get some younger children that you could mold?” Naomi asked.

“They’re not Playdoh, mom. They’re already molded and they are great. Both of them are A students and they like me and Jim a lot. So we can’t ask for more then that,” Blair explained.

“I can be there Saturday morning, if that’s not too late,” Naomi said.

“That would be great, mom. You’re going to love them. They are so damn sweet. They’ve been here for a month and we felt it was time to introduce them to our families.”

“You’ve had them a month and didn’t tell me?”

“Mom, not everything is about you. These boys had a horrible life and we were focused on giving them a good one instead. Wait until you see how nice the loft looks. We bought the one next to us, so it’s bigger and we have more room. We have a Murphy bed in the office, so you can stay in there while you’re here. Will that be all right?”

“Blair, that will be fine, sweetie. We’ll see you Saturday morning. I’m going to stay a week and get to know the boys.”

“That’s great, mom. Thank you.”

“My pleasure, Blair.”

“Bye, mom.”

“Bye, Blair.”

~~~~~

Blair walked out of the office and said, “Well, you’re going to be meeting Naomi on Saturday. She’s going to spend the week with us. I hope you boys don’t mind.”

“That’s fine with me, Blair,” Max said honestly. “We’ve never been around grandparents, so we’re sort of excited about it.”

“I tried to tell them not to get too excited,” Jim teased.

“My mom is sort of odd sometimes, so I need to tell you about her. But she’s got a good heart and will love both of you to death.”

“We need to get upstairs and start our homework. See you later,” Max said leaving the room.

“Thanks for having the grandparents over, Jim and Blair. I’m really excited,” Drew admitted.

“Glad to hear that,” Jim answered.

“Go do your homework and we’ll talk to you later,” Blair said.

~~~~~

Saturday morning:

They had all finished breakfast when there was a knock on the door. Blair continued cleaning up the kitchen while Jim went to answer it. He knew it was Naomi and opened it with a smile on his face.

“You knew it was me didn’t you, Jim?” Naomi said as she fluttered into the living room and gave him a huge hug.

“Oh my god, this loft is wonderful. Blair mentioned you did some redecorating, but I had no idea it would look this fantastic. Where are my grandchildren?”

Drew and Max walked up to Jim and smiled at Naomi.

“Oh my god, they are full grown already. You must be Max, come and give me a hug,” Naomi ordered.

Max hugged her and then Drew did too. “And you must be Drew. You are both handsome boys. I bet your keep Blair and Jim on their toes don’t you?”

“We try not to,” Max answered, seriously.

Naomi threw her head back and laughed loudly. “I was only teasing, Max. You look like a perfectly good young man, I’m sure you don’t give them any trouble at all. I’m glad of that.”

Blair came out of the kitchen and said, “Hi mom, it’s good to see you again. What do you think of the loft now?”

“I was just telling Jim how gorgeous it looked. It’s so nice that you have somewhere for me to sleep so I don’t have to leave my grandsons the entire time I’m here,” Naomi said happily.

“William is coming over today too, he hasn’t met the boys yet either,” Blair said.

“He lives in town and you didn’t tell him, Jim? I bet he was angry when you told him,” Naomi speculated.

“He didn’t seem angry, I told him we were trying to let the boys fit in first before we brought in more family members and he seemed to understand that. He’s looking forward to meeting them, also.”

“Show me your rooms, Max and Drew,” Naomi bossed.

They walked up the back staircase and had Naomi following them closely. When she got upstairs she said, “You don’t have your own rooms?”

Max was the first one to answer, “We like to share.”

“I can’t believe you wouldn’t like privacy at some point. Maybe they could put a wall up in a few months,” Naomi planned.

“We really like sharing a room, so we don’t need a wall up,” Drew said nicely.

Blair walked up the stairs and said, “Naomi, they like sharing a room, so stop making plans for them. They’re happy the way they are.”

“But honey, it might be because it’s the only choice they had,” Naomi said.

“No, we asked them about turning the office into a second bedroom and they wanted to share a room. So let’s drop it, mom. They take care of their own room and keep it this clean on purpose, do you believe it?” Blair asked teasingly.

“They certainly don’t take after you then,” she said laughing.

“We know that Jim likes the place clean, so we all work on it. All of us,” Drew said happily.

“Oh Drew honey, you need to let loose and let things get dirty now and then. It won’t hurt anything,” Naomi ordered.

“Mom, they like the clean room, so drop it,” Blair commented.

“Let’s go downstairs and see the rest of the house. It looks terrific,” Naomi stated before she took off down the stairs.

Blair stopped Drew and Max and said, “You don’t have to listen to anything she says. Just try and smile.”

“We like her, Blair,” Max said smiling.

“Yeah, she’s funny,” Drew agreed.

They got downstairs and Jim was showing her the office and the bathrooms. She was blown away. She just couldn’t believe it was the same loft. Jim had pulled the Murphy bed down and she set her bag on it.

“What about a game of cards?” Naomi asked.

“We play 5000 Rummy with Jim and Blair, do you play that?” Max asked hopefully.

“Who do you think taught Blair?” Naomi answered, snickering.

They spent the rest of the morning playing cards, making lunch and then getting things ready for the barbecue. At exactly two o’clock there was a knock at the door, Blair went to open it because Jim was out starting the grill for the meal, but Naomi beat him to it. “Hello William,” she said as she opened the door up wide.

“It’s good to see you, Naomi. It’s been awhile,” William said nicely.

“Look at this loft. Do you believe all of the changes?” Naomi asked, swirling her arms around the room as she walked.

“It doesn’t look like the same place, that’s for sure. It’s very nice, Blair. Did you and Jim do the work yourself?”

“We had most of it done, but we did all of the final decorating, if that’s what you mean,” Blair answered.

“Let me run and get Drew and Max so you can meet them, William.” Naomi started up the stairs to find them coming down.

“You’re just in time to meet your grampa,” Naomi announced.

Jim walked in and hugged his dad and said, “Dad, this is Max and this is Drew. They’ve been dying to meet you for awhile now.”

William shook hands with both of the boys and asked, “So do you like living here with Jim and Blair?”

“We love living here with Jim and Blair. This is the best home we ever could have asked for. Would you like to play cards with us? Gramma is playing too,” Max said.

“You can call me Naomi,” she said quickly not liking the sounds of gramma.

“Oh sorry,” Max said just as quickly.

“It’s not a big deal Max. I even call her Naomi most of the time. Everyone does. You call her whatever makes you comfortable,” Blair said as he walked out to help Jim on the balcony.

“What sort of cards are you playing?” William asked.

“5000 Rummy, we love the game,” Drew answered, “do you know how to play it?”

“I sure do. They taught me this some time ago,” William said as he sat down at the table to play.

Blair smiled as he looked into the house. The boys were doing well with the grandparents. Here Blair had worried, but he shouldn’t have. They seemed to like each other just fine.

“Jim, what could you use help on?” Blair asked.

“I could use a kiss and then the meat from the refrigerator,” Jim said smiling.

Blair stood on his tip toes and kissed Jim. Then he walked in to get the meat from the kitchen. He heard Drew and Max laughing at something William was telling them, and he hoped it was kid appropriate.

He grabbed the meat and walked out to the balcony once more and said, “Can you hear what your dad is telling the boys?”

“He’s telling them stories about when I was a smart mouth kid and I’m not happy about it,” Jim confessed.

“Jim, the boys were laughing and getting on great, so I think you’re over thinking it,” Blair said trying to calm him.

“I don’t want Max and Drew to know I was a smart mouthed kid. Oh hell, now he’s talking about how loving I was to Steven. He’s switching gears, really fast. I think he saw me glaring at him,” Jim explained.

“Jim, cool your jets. The boys are having a good time. This is what we wanted to do is show them off. Let the grandparents be themselves and stop worrying,” Blair bossed.

“Dad seems to be enjoying them. I was so hoping he would be nice to them and it looks like my hopes were answered,” Jim said smiling.

“We make a really nice family, don’t we?” Blair asked.

“Yes, we do. And now with the grandparents it’s even nicer. Dad just asked the boys if they wanted to see Iron Man 2 with him tomorrow and they said yes. They didn’t even mention that they’ve seen it twice,” Jim declared.

“See, it’s working out. I told you not to worry,” Blair reminded Jim.

“Your mom is now telling them that they need some new clothes and she’s taking them shopping on Monday after school. They said they would like that. They’re sports, if nothing else,” Jim joked.

Blair went into the house to tell them they had to clean the table off for dinner. They all pitched in and had it set in no time. Blair had made vegetables on the grill and they were already in a bowl waiting for the steaks. Blair had made the salads up earlier, so he set those on top of the dishes.

Jim walked in with the steaks and said, “Dinner is served. Naomi, I know you’re not that big on beef steaks, so I made you a nice chicken breast.”

“Why thank you, Jim. See, boys, this is how son-in-laws are supposed to treat their mother-in-laws,” Naomi kidded.

Everyone started eating and Jim and Blair looked at each other and smiled. This was a perfect family get-together. There was nothing like meeting the family.

The end

Family Life Part 7
Intrusions
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,461

After six months of living with Jim and Blair, Max and Drew were settled in and were very happy. Things were going along rather smoothly. All four of the men were happy, not just the young ones.

Max and Drew were at school and Jim and Blair were at the station having a regular day until the phone rang and Jim answered it.

“Ellison.”

“Jim, it’s me, Barb Chase, I need to talk to you and Blair as soon as possible.”

Jim knew it wasn’t good news hearing from their case manager, so he was on alert right away. “What’s up?”

“I’d rather we talk in my office, if you don’t mind. I could see you around 3:00 today if you have the time,” Barb said.

“Okay, we’ll see you at your office at 3:00. Talk to you then,” Jim said before he hung up the phone with a frown on his face.

“What’s wrong? Is something wrong with the boys?” Blair asked, instantly worried about Max and Drew.

“Not that I know of. That was Barb Chase and she wants to see us today at 3:00. She didn’t want to discuss what it was about on the phone. What do you suppose is up?” Jim asked, hoping his lover would know the answer.

“I have no idea. We’ve done everything we’re supposed to, the boys are doing well in school and out. I don’t know why she’s calling us unless their parents want them back,” Blair said worrying his lip.

“I’m going to do some checking on Josh and Martha Miller. Maybe they are going to try and get them back,” Jim said just as worried as Blair was.

Blair watched as Jim typed in Josh Miller and brought up his file. “Chief, he’s still in prison, so it’s not him.”

“She was in jail or prison also, what about her?” Blair wondered aloud.

Jim typed in Martha Miller and brought up her information. “She’s out and living in a half-way house. Do you think that she wants the boys back already?”

“I don’t know, Jim. We’ll have to wait and see. Go and tell Simon that we’ll be taking off at 3:00. Hopefully he doesn’t have any plans for us,” Blair ordered.

Jim got up, walked to Simon’s door and knocked on it waiting for his reply.

“Come on in, Ellison.”

Jim walked in and said, “Do you mind if we take off at 3:00 today. Well, actually about 2:30 for a meeting with the case manager for the boys?”

“Is something up?” Simon asked.

“She just called and said she didn’t want to discuss it over the phone, so we need to go to her office and see what’s up. I looked up the boys’ parents and their mom is in a half-way house and that worries us a little.”

“Well good luck. We’ll see you tomorrow. Call me tonight if you need to talk to anyone,” Simon offered.

“Okay, we’ll see you tomorrow then. We’re going to take off now. It’s just about time anyhow.”

“Tell Sandburg to try and not worry,” Simon stated.

“We’ll try, Simon, but it’s hard not to. When they aren’t your own, someone can take them away quite easily,” Jim confessed.

“It’ll work out, Jim.”

“Thank you, Simon. See you tomorrow,” Jim said as he left the office and shut Simon’s door.

“We’re out of here. We’ll go show up at Barbs a little early and see if we can find out what’s going on,” Jim said.

They got ready to go, said their goodbye’s to everyone in the bullpen and left for the day.

~~~~~

The drive over to Barb’s office was rather quiet, considering both men were nervous. Finally Blair broke the silence and said, “I would just die if we lost Drew and Max.”

“We’re not going to lose them. I bet the mother just wants some visitation or something,” Jim suggested.

“You think?” Blair asked hopefully.

“Yeah, who wouldn’t want to see them? They’re great kids,” Jim said.

“I hope you’re right, Jim.”

“Don’t worry about anything, until we have something to worry about,” Jim said trying to sound hopeful.

“Wow, you sounded just like me for a moment,” Blair remarked.

“Everything will be fine, you wait and see,” Jim promised.

~~~~~

They got to Barbs office, about a half hour early and sat down in the waiting room. A woman was in there and she kept staring at Jim and Blair. She got up and walked over to them and said, “Are you Jim Ellison and Blair Sandburg?”

“Yes, and you are?” Jim asked wearily.

“I’m Martha Miller, Max and Drew’s mom. It’s so good to meet you. I’ve been told about everything you’ve done for the boys and I can’t thank you enough,” Martha said.

“It’s our pleasure, they’re great kids,” Blair said.

Barb opened up her door and said, “I see you’ve all met. Come in to my office and we’ll talk.”

They all walked into Barb’s office and sat down. Jim felt like he was going to pass out, but didn’t want to say anything to Blair, because he knew Blair was scared too.

Barb said, “Martha has cleaned up her act and wants to be in the boys life again. She wants to start with Saturday visits under our supervision, and work up to taking them for weekend visits. She just got her own place and is working now. You’ll be happy to know that she has passed all drug tests that were needed to get back in the program. So we’re going to start visitation this weekend.”

Jim and Blair were stunned, to say the least and didn’t know what to say. Neither of them said anything and hoped they would wake up from this nightmare.

“Jim and Blair do you have anything to say,” Barb asked.

“What is there to say? We don’t have any rights evidentially,” Jim said unhappily.

“Jim, you’re foster parents, you knew going in that they might go back to their parents some day,” Barb reminded them.

“I know that, but I was hoping it would be before we got attached to them,” Blair said.

“So we’re going to set up 4:00 on Saturday, is that time good for you?” Barb asked.

“I don’t see that we have any choice,” Jim stated and got up from the chair to leave. Blair followed him angrily.

“Please don’t do this in front of the boys,” Martha pleaded, “I needed a fresh start and I got that. I’d like to be in their lives and them in mine now.”

“Whatever,” Jim said as they walked out the door.

Barb caught up to them at the elevator and said, “There will be other foster children, Jim and Blair. There are a lot of kids that need homes.”

“This mother has been out of their lives for six years, you can’t tell me this is going to be good for them,” Jim almost shouted.

“We’ll have the boys ready at 4:00 on Saturday,” Blair said very sadly.

They got into the elevator and rode down in silence. After all, what was there to say?

~~~~~

That afternoon when the boys got home from school, Jim and Blair sat them down in the living room to have a talk.

Blair started the conversation, “Your mom is going to start visiting you and hopefully getting custody of you for weekend visits. She’s coming on Saturday to see you and I’m sure you’ll be glad to see her.”

“We’d have to leave here?” Max asked panic apparent in his voice.

“Eventually you would have to leave, yes,” Jim said.

“I think we were doing well here,” Drew said.

“It has nothing to do with the four of us. It has to do with a mother’s rights. No matter how bad we’ll feel, it’s what the courts would want her to have. She’s your mom and she has the right to try again,” Blair pointed out.

“What if we don’t want to see her?” Max asked.

“Max, she’s your mom. She’ll get a court order and you’ll be forced to see her. You may as well just follow the rules and see her for four Saturday’s and see where that takes you,” Jim said trying not to sound as scared as he was.

“So you don’t want us to go either?” Max asked.

“Of course not. You’re our family. It’s going to kill us, but a mother has the right to be with her children,” Blair remarked.

“What about when we needed her? She was never there for us. I practically had to raise Drew myself, they were never there,” Max said with tears in his eyes.

“Let’s just get the visits over with and see where it takes us, okay?” Jim said.

Drew and Max got up and went upstairs. Jim listened and they were both upset. “They aren’t taking this like I thought they would.”

“Did you think they would jump at the chance to get back with their mom?” Blair wondered.

“Yes, I did. I would have given anything to see my mom again, so I figured they would feel the same way,” Jim confessed.

“I think that she’s going to have her hands full, because they don’t want to go with her,” Blair said.

“You know the courts will make them go,” Jim reminded Blair.

“I know. But tell that to two teens that don’t want to leave the only home they’ve had in six years. It’s going to be hard for us and them,” Blair said softly.

“Yes, it is.”

~~~~~

Saturday at 4:00:

Drew and Max were sitting in the living room nervous as all get out waiting for their mom to get there. By 4:30, Jim expected a call, but never got one.

Blair got up and called Barb. “Hello?”

“Barb, we’ve been waiting for Martha for the last half hour and she’s a no show so far. Do you know what’s going on?” Blair asked.

“Let me check and get back with you, Blair.”

Blair hung up the phone and said, “She’s going to check on your mom now and see why she’s late.”

“She must not really want to see us if she can’t even be here on time,” Drew decided.

Max said, “She’s always been that way. She won’t come and the courts will keep making us wait for her and she’ll not show up each time. It’s the way she is.”

At five o’clock Jim said, “You can go change into anything you want if you feel like it. She’s evidentially not coming.”

The phone rang and Blair answered, “Sandburg.”

“Blair, it’s Barb. Tell the boys that she can’t make it this Saturday, but will try for next Saturday.”

“Barb, this isn’t right, do you think?” Blair almost whispered.

“She said something came up. We have to give her a few chances,” Barb said.

“Whatever,” Blair said before he hung up. He turned to the boys and said, “She’s not coming today. Maybe next Saturday.”

“She won’t come. She had plenty of chances for the last six years and didn’t come, so why would she come now?” Max asked.

“Do you guys want to go out to eat tonight, while you’re all dressed up?” Jim asked.

“Claim Jumper?” Drew asked.

“If that’s what you feel like, then that’s what we’ll do,” Jim answered.

They got ready to go and went out for an evening of fun. They all decided that they would see Robin Hood while they were out and about, also. They all enjoyed it a great deal and had a wonderful time.

When they got home, Max hugged both of them before he went up to get ready for bed. “Thank you for the nice night.”

Not to be outdone, Drew hugged them also. “I had fun, too.”

Blair smiled at both of them and said, “Good, glad to hear it.”

“See you in the morning, Jim and Blair,” Max called out from the staircase.

“Yeah, we’ll see you at breakfast,” Drew added.

Jim and Blair decided to watch a little tv up in their room before they retired for the evening and were doing as much when the phone rang.

Jim answered, “Hello?”

“Jim, this is Barb. You don’t have to worry about Martha coming next Saturday. She got picked up dealing and using drugs. She’ll have to go back to prison. The boys can relax. I know they weren’t happy about the situation.”

“Thanks, Barb. I’ll tell them right away,” Jim said.

Blair looked at him when he got off and said, “Bad news?”

“Not for us. She got picked up using and dealing drugs, so she’s going to have to go back to prison. I need to tell the boys.”

“I’ll come with you,” Blair said.

They both put their jeans on and a tee shirt and walked down the stairs and then up the back ones. Jim knocked on their door and heard, “Come in.”

“Are you both still awake?” Jim asked peeking in the doorway.

“Yeah, we’ve been talking,” Drew replied.

“I wanted to let you know that your mom got picked up tonight and has to go back to prison. I’m sorry, guys,” Jim stated. He didn’t tell them the cause.

“She’s always liked drugs more then us, so I’m not surprised. We just got done saying we’ll probably never see her again,” Max confessed.

“If you would like to see her at prison, we could take you,” Blair offered.

“No, we don’t want to see her. We don’t really even remember her except for bad things. We’re better off without her,” Max said.

“If you need to talk to us about anything, you know where we are,” Blair said before they walked out of the room.

“Goodnight,” Max and Drew said at the same time.

“Goodnight, Max. Goodnight Drew. We’ll see you both in the morning. Sleep well,” Jim said.

Jim and Blair got back up to their room and took their clothes off and slid into bed. Blair whispered, “I don’t know about you, but I feel like celebrating. Are you game?”

“When it comes to you, I’m always game,” Jim whispered back.

They made slow, quiet love and lay in each other’s arms until they both fell asleep. It was so nice now, that both of them felt comfortable enough to make love with Max and Drew in the house. They knew they couldn’t be really vocal and that was just fine.

As time went on, they knew they would probably have to tackle the mom issue again, but they were ready for it. So were Drew and Max.

They were a family. Nothing could change that.

The end

Family Life Part 8
Fun with Jim and Blair
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,805

“Blair? Blair, are you home?” Drew called out through the house very loudly.

Blair looked over the railing and said, “What do you think?”

“Can I come up for a minute?” Drew asked.

“Sure, I’m just putting clean clothes away. I put yours on your bed in your room,” Blair said.

“Guess what?” Drew asked.

“I couldn’t even imagine, so tell me,” Blair teased.

Drew laughed and said, “Grampa called me and Max and asked us if we could go camping this weekend. Would that be all right? He said he has a cabin in the woods and wants to teach us how to fish and cook our own food that we caught.”

“Where’s Max?” Blair noticed that Drew was alone.

“He’s downstairs talking to Mark and Mike. I told him I would come up and ask you,” Drew was practically bouncing on the bed in his excitement.

“Have you ever been camping?” Blair asked.

“No, that’s why we’re so excited,” Drew explained.

At that moment, Max came through the front door and said, “Drew, did you find Blair?”

“Come on up, he’s up here,” Blair said.

Max flew up the stairs and said, “So do we get to go with grampa or not?”

“I think it’s something we should talk to Jim about too, don’t you think?” Blair inquired.

“Yeah, where is he?” Max asked.

“He ran to the store for dinner preparations. He’ll be back in a flash and then you can ask him. Let him get the bags in the door first,” Blair suggested.

“We’ll watch from the balcony and then go down and help him carry everything up. We can ask him while we’re coming back up,” Drew decided.

Blair thought they were too cute, being this excited about camping.

Both boys rushed down the stairs and waited on the balcony as planned and saw Jim and came running through the house. By then, Blair was downstairs and he almost got knocked over by Max. “Slow down, the camping trip isn’t going anywhere. And remember that Jim has the final say in it.”

“Yeah, we’ll remember,” Max said as they flew out the front door. Blair watched in the parking lot and watched Jim’s face light up with a big smile when he saw how excited they were about going somewhere with his dad. “Let’s go upstairs and talk about all of this up there,” Jim suggested.

Drew talked non-stop all the way up the elevator and when Blair opened the door, Jim looked drained.

“Jim, isn’t it nice that your dad asked them to go camping?” Blair questioned.

“I was sort of hoping to take the boys ourselves one weekend and spend the time with them,” Jim said.

“Oh Jim, we can go with you anywhere, anytime. Let us get out of your hair for a change. Think about the alone time you’ll have with Blair,” Max declared.

“That’s true,” Jim agreed.

“We’re staying in a fancy cabin that grampa has in the woods. Have you ever been there?” Drew asked.

“Yes, we’ve both been there a couple of times. Grampa likes to go fishing and hiking. You would have to listen to everything my dad said. I don’t want to have to worry about you while you’re up there,” Jim said, firmly.

“All right, I’ll call grampa right now,” Max said happily and jumped up and down all the way to the telephone. He hit the speed dial and heard his grampa say, “Ellison.”

“Grampa, its Max. Jim and Blair said it would be fine to go camping. What do we need to take with us and when are we leaving?”

“What time do you get out of school on Friday?” William asked.

“At 3:30, are we leaving on Friday?” Max asked hopefully.

“Yes, we’re going to have an entire three days of camping. This is going to be great fun. I’ve got all of the gear up there already, so you don’t have to bring a thing, except clothing. I’m even bringing all of the food,” William said cheerfully.

“We’ll be ready at 3:30, grampa. Thank you again for doing this,” Max said before he hung up.

Drew looked thoughtful for a moment and said, “Will our cells work up there?”

“There is a land line in the cabin, although you’ll be so busy you won’t even remember to call us,” Jim stated.

“A land line?” Drew inquired, totally confused.

“A phone hooked up in the cabin. You don’t need cell phones there. Thank goodness because they don’t work there,” Blair said.

The boys took off for their room and Jim leaned down and kissed Blair. “Alone time, what shall we do?”

“We heard that,” Drew called out playfully.

Jim started putting away the groceries and Blair helped him. Then they started building dinner.

“We have Sunday off, but I wonder what our chances of having Saturday off are?” Blair wondered aloud.

“Conner is off this Saturday, so I hate to ask her. We’ll just make the best of our time alone. We’ll see if we can’t get off early on Friday or Saturday,” Jim suggested.

“Good thinking. I wouldn’t want to take Conner’s Saturday off. Simon has it worked out so nicely that everyone gets a Saturday off from time to time. I like that about his scheduling.”

“I sort of wanted to take the boys camping our way with tents and all of that, but if they want to spend time with my dad, I guess I shouldn’t bitch, eh?” Jim asked.

Blair pulled Jim down for a quick kiss and then went back to making dinner. “It’s great how your dad loves spending time with them. I think he really loves them.”

Jim beamed with happiness at this remark. Jim always wanted to give him grandchildren, and this is as close as they would ever get.

The evening flew by with dinner being served, cleaning up afterwards and then the boys doing their homework. Jim could hear them upstairs talking about nothing but the trip coming up.

“They’re really excited, Blair. I think they’ll have a good time,” Jim supposed.

“Oh yeah, it’s going to be great. And it’s going to be great for me and you too,” Blair reminded Jim.

Jim wiggled his eyebrows and walked into the office to write some bills before it was bedtime.

~~~~~

Jim and Blair got off at 3:15 on Friday, so they were at the house waiting for the boys when they got home.

Jim said, “Do you have everything packed that we told you to?”

“Oh yeah, that and more,” Max said cheerfully.

“We’re even taking some of our books from school, so we can do some homework, if we have time,” Drew said.

“If you have homework, you better make time,” Jim advised them both.

“Yes, sir,” Drew answered smiling.

“Everything will be fine, Jim and Blair. You have a good time too,” Max said.

Drew and Max waited on the balcony for William to get there and when they saw him, they flew into the house and said, “Well, we have to go. Grampa is here.”

“Wait until he comes up,” Jim said.

“We’re just excited,” Drew confessed.

“No, not you,” Blair joked.

Both Drew and Blair laughed at that remark and waited as patiently as they could for William to come through the door. Finally there was a knock and Drew flung open the door and said, “Hi grampa. We’re ready when you are.”

“They waste no time, do they?” William kidded.

“No, they’re really excited dad. But they have some homework they need to get done while they are up there, so please see that they do that too. Other then that, have a good time, all three of you,” Jim said.

Drew hugged both men and then it was Max’s turn. “Thanks for letting us go, Jim and Blair.”

“Thank you for giving us a weekend off,” Blair said just as happily as Max sounded.

Jim helped them carry their stuff down to William’s SUV and they got in and Jim and Blair waved as they drove down the road.

“I’m excited about the down time, but at the same time, this is our first time away from them in seven months. It’s sort of weird,” Blair explained.

“About that time alone, how about a nice hot shower with blow jobs involved?” Jim whispered in Blair’s ear.

“Sounds good to me,” Blair said rushing up the stairs, not even waiting for the elevator. Jim laughed all the way up the stairs.

They went in their bathroom and stripped and jumped in their shower. Jim was first to go down on his knees and suck Blair until Blair couldn’t even think anymore. He came moaning Jim’s name rather loudly for a change. They usually had to be very quiet with their lovemaking, but this was different.

Blair went on his knees next and sucked Jim until Jim howled out his name, as he came down Blair’s hot, excited throat.

Then they stood together and kissed and washed each other off. When they were all done, they got out, dried off and put their robes on. Even if no one was there, there could be a chance that they would come back.

“You know what I would like to do tonight?” Jim asked.

“What?”

“I would like to cuddle in bed with a bowl of popcorn and watch The Blind Side on the big tv up there,” Jim commented in hopes that Blair would like the idea.

“Oh yeah, I loved that movie. I know you haven’t seen it yet, but you’re going to love it,” Blair assured him.

“So you’re all right with that?” Jim asked.

“I’m more then all right with it. I love cuddling with you, man. It’s going to be great,” Blair surmised.

“Let’s eat a light dinner and then go upstairs and lay like broccoli,” Jim teased.

Blair laughed and went into the kitchen to make them up a chef salad. They had all of the fixings for it. Blair just had to put it together. If nothing else, they always had good food in the house.

They took the chef salads and walked up the stairs. They sat on their bed with their handy-dandy lap trays and began to eat their meal.

“Chief, this is excellent, thank you.”

“You’re most welcome. I love a salad now and then.”

They ate and talked while just sitting next to each other soaking up the love in the room. When they were done, Blair took the plates and bowls downstairs and rinsed and put them in the dishwasher.

Before long he was back upstairs, but this time he had a movie with him. He put the movie in the DVD player, took his robe off and slid into bed with Jim. They snuggled and got ready to watch the movie.

Jim was really into the movie big time and went to say something to Blair and realized Blair was sleeping already. Jim smiled and pulled his lover in closer and watched the end of the movie, then hit stop and shut the tv off. He curled in behind his lover and very quickly went to sleep. He hadn’t even checked the locks on the doors. He was more tired then he imagined.

The next day, they worked, came home early and did more of the same thing they did Friday, except this time, they watched Sherlock Holmes. Neither of them had seen it and Conner brought it for them to watch. Jim liked cuddling in bed with Blair. They didn’t get to do it that much except when they were exhausted at night.

~~~~~

Sunday morning, Blair got up and made coffee and some homemade cinnamon rolls. Blair had this good recipe and took it out and put it on the counter. He had plenty of time to make them because Jim was exhausted and would sleep another hour or so.

When Jim smelled the cinnamon rolls cooking, he woke from a deep sleep and smiled. God, Blair was good to him. He would not only have coffee waiting but cinnamon rolls too.

Blair had the newspaper sitting on the table, waiting for both of them to read. They did this every Sunday morning. Sunday was one of their days off every week, so that never changed.

“Chief, the loft smells wonderful. I love those cinnamon rolls. I’m starving.”

“Good, eat up, there are plenty. I made enough for your dad and the boys when they get back too.”

After breakfast, they took a shower and got dressed for the day. “What should we do today before everyone comes back?” Jim asked.

“Let’s go to Home Depot and look at some things. You can always find something you need at Home Depot,” Blair answered.

“No, let’s go to an art gallery or something that you would totally enjoy. It’s my way of paying you back for sex and breakfast,” Jim joked.

Blair looked through the paper and said, “They have a place where they are showing some Native American Indian relics. Would you mind seeing that?”

“That would be great. Thanks for everything, Chief.”

“You’re welcome. Now let’s get to the exhibit before everyone gets back. I figure they’ll be back around 3:00 don’t you suppose?” Blair asked.

“Lets leave a note just in case,” Jim said as he walked to the chalk board and wrote down where they were going to be. “They can call us on our cells if they get back before we do.”

“Good thinking, man. Now let’s get this show on the road. Did I mention how much I loved spending all weekend with my main man?”

“Only about six times, Chief. I feel the same way too.”

They left for the afternoon and knew that their weekend was almost up, but they didn’t care. It had been filled with love, laughter and happiness. It was every bit what they had hoped it would be.

~~~~~

When Jim and Blair arrived at 3:30, William’s SUV was in the parking lot.

“At least they got home safe,” Jim said.

“Let’s go find out what they thought of your dad’s idea of camping,” Blair teased.

The walked into the loft and both of the guys hugged them hello.

“We had the best time, Jim and Blair. Grampa wasn’t kidding when he said it was a nice cabin. He taught us how to catch fish, clean them and cook them. So we ate what we caught Saturday night. It was great fun,” Drew said.

“I’m glad you had fun, Drew. You look rested and peaceful. We’re glad to have you back home again,” Blair said.

“Did you have fun, too, Max?” Jim asked.

“It was the best weekend we’ve had in a long, long while. Not that we don’t enjoy hanging with you guys all the time, but it was nice being with grampa. Thanks again, grampa,” Max said.

“No problem. Well, this old man needs to go home and rest. They wore me out,” William joked.

“Thanks for everything, grampa,” Drew said happily.

“You’re welcome. Glad to be home though, aren’t you?” William asked.

Max smiled and said, “There is no place like home.”

Jim and Blair were so happy to hear that. It was nice having the boys around all the time, but it was a nice break this weekend. But they were glad to have them back once again.

“Bye, dad. Thanks for everything.”

“Bye, Jimmy, bye Blair,” William said.

Jim locked the door after William left and they turned to the boys and Blair said, “So who wants to tell us about their weekend?”

They all walked into the dining room and sat down, eating cinnamon rolls and drinking milk while they told the wild tales of their weekend.

The end

Recipe for Cinnamon Rolls:

HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 recipe Maple Nut Glaze or Powdered Sugar Glaze
Step 1: In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour and yeast. Heat the milk, granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup butter and salt just until mixture is warm (120 to 130 degrees) and the butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.
Step 2: Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; scrape sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. (Dough will be soft.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
Step 3: Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours). (The dough is ready for shaping when you can lightly and quickly press two fingers 1/2 inch into dough and indentation remains.)
Step 4: Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half; shape each half into a smooth ball. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
Step 5: On lightly floured surface roll half the dough to 12×8 inches. Spread with 3 tablespoons softened butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half over rectangle. Roll up from a short side. Seal edges. Make a second roll with remaining dough, butter and sugar mixture.
Step 6: Slice each dough roll into 8 pieces. Arrange slices, cut side down, in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cover; let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
Step 7: Bake rolls in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Invert at once onto a wire rack. Cool slightly. Drizzle rolls with Maple Nut Glaze or Powdered Sugar Glaze. Serve warm.
Makes 16 rolls.
MAPLE NUT GLAZE:
In small bowl combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1/2 teaspoon maple extract and enough water or milk (2 to 3 teaspoons) for drizzling consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans.
POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE:
Combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and enough milk (about 3 to 4 teaspoons) for drizzling consistency.
FREEZING AND REHEATING:
Bake and cool rolls as directed, do not glaze. Wrap in moisture and vapor proof wrap. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat in a conventional oven, wrap frozen rolls in foil. Place in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with your choice of glaze.
To reheat in a microwave oven, wrap 2 of the frozen rolls in microwave-safe paper towels. Micro-cook on 100% power (high) for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with glaze.

Family Life Part 9
Friends
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 2,089

The Benson boys were on their way over to Max and Drew’s house. They were going to spend the day and the evening.

“Do you believe mom and dad said we could go? I thought for sure they would say no when they met them and found out they were gay,” Mark said.

“I know, I was surprised too. I think it’s because they’re cops, mom and dad trust them more then a normal person,” Mike surveyed, “maybe dad even thought he could get out of a ticket now and then.”

Both boys laughed as they walked. Their dad drove like their gramma did, so there was no chance of a ticket.

“I really like Jim and Blair, do you?” Mark asked.

“What’s not to like? They’re really nice to Max and Drew. They’re super nice to us too, so why wouldn’t I like them?” Mike answered.

“So you don’t mind that they’re gay?” Mark inquired.

“No, not any more. I did at first, but I got used to them. I saw them kiss in the kitchen once and it didn’t even gross me out,” Mike replied.

“I really like Max and Drew. They are the best friends we’ve ever had at this school. I like that they don’t drink or smoke, too. I was sick of hanging out with everyone that did,” Mark said.

“It’s hard finding good friends, but when you do, you sure don’t want to screw it up,” Mike stated.

“That’s for sure,” Mark agreed.

They looked up and saw Max and Drew on the balcony waving to them and they both waved back and then headed into the building to go upstairs.

Max opened the door and said, “Come on in. Ready for some Guitar Hero? I’ve been practicing. So you better watch out.”

“Bring it on,” Mark answered.

Blair was in the kitchen as they passed and Mark said, “Hello Mr. Sandburg, how are you?”

“Now boys, I’ve asked you to call me Blair. Mr. Sandburg sounds like my grampa or something,” Blair joked.

“Okay, Blair. Hello, how are you?” Mark asked once again.

“I’m doing very well thank you, and how are you?” Blair replied.

“I’m getting ready to beat Max’s butt in Guitar Hero,” Mark said as he smiled.

“It’s good to see you again, Blair. Where is Jim?” Mike asked.

“He had to finish some things at the station, so I’m alone today. Would you boys like a snack?” Blair asked.

“We would love one, thank you,” Mark answered.

“You know it’s almost lunch time, how about I make sandwiches for lunch?” Blair offered.

Max smiled over at Blair and said, “Thank you, Blair. That would be really nice. Can we help?”

“No, you go up and play your game and I’ll call you when lunch is made,” Blair said as he shoed them off.

The boys went gladly up the stairs and started playing their Guitar Hero. Blair was glad that Jim wasn’t there to hear it, it would have hurt his ears.

He made up deli sandwiches, got a bowl of Jell-o out of the fridge with fruit in it and set it on the table along with all the condiments for the sandwiches. He then pulled out some dip and chips and put it on the table. There was enough to feed an army, so there just might be enough for the four of them.

Blair went to the stairway and said, “Lunch is served.”

All four of the boys rushed down the stairs and washed their hands in the bathroom. Then they sat at the table and began to eat.

“This is great, Blair, thank you,” Max said.

“Yeah, what Max said,” Mark agreed.

“Put all of your plates in the sink when you’re done. Enjoy,” Blair said as he walked into the office and let the boys have time alone with their friends.

“You have the best foster parents in the world, I hope you know that,” Mike pointed out.

“Oh yeah, we know that. Believe me we lived at some doozies before Jim and Blair,” Drew said.

“Were you ever mistreated?” Mike asked.

“We had one man that hit us quite a bit. We didn’t even have to do anything and he hit us. He had a really mean temper,” Max said.

Drew sighed and said, “Let’s not bring him up. Instead let’s be grateful for Jim and Blair coming into our lives.”

“They seem really nice,” Mark deduced.

“They are. You get what you see with them,” Max replied.

Totally switching gears, Mike asked, “Have you seen Iron Man 2?”

“Three times,” Drew said laughing.

“Bummer, we were hoping we could go and see a movie tonight,” Mark said.

“I don’t mind seeing it again, “Drew offered.

“I don’t either, if you want to go, we can go tonight,” Max said, “I need to ask Blair first.”

“Okay, we’d love to go if he says it’s all right,” Mark said happily.

Blair walked through and said, “Do you guys need more juice?”

“No thank you, we’re doing great, Blair. Thank you for everything. Do you think we can go to the movies tonight with Mark and Mike?” Max asked.

“Depends on what you plan on seeing,” Blair said.

“Iron Man 2,” Drew answered.

“You guys have seen that movie three times already. Aren’t you sick of it?” Blair asked.

“Have you seen it?” Mike asked.

“Yes, we went with the guys, one night,” Blair replied.

“Well, we wanted to see it, but not if they’ve been too many times already,” Mark said.

“Could you take us, drop us off and pick us up when it’s over?” Drew asked.

“I don’t see why not. Would you like to go to the early show today?” Blair offered.

“Yeah that would be good. Then we don’t need any snacks at the theater. I’m still stuffed from lunch,” Max said.

“I’m going to give you extra money in case you feel like something while you’re there,” Blair stated.

“Thank you, Blair,” Max and Drew said together.

“You are most welcome. Now run upstairs and get ready to go while I do the dishes. Then look in the paper and see when it’s playing,” Blair suggested.

They rushed up the stairs, all giggles and laughing and Blair loved the sounds of friends in the house. Nothing quite beat it. Once Blair had everything put away and the dishes loaded in the dishwasher, he called the boys down.

“Did you find out when it’s playing?” Blair asked.

“In 40 minutes, so we could go right now and play a couple of video games before the movie,” Max said.

“No video games at the theater. I like to have a parent around when there are video games involved. Okay?” Blair asked.

“Okay,” Max answered.

“We’re ready when you are, Blair,” Drew said.

“Okay, let’s get going then,” Blair said smiling at all four boys. They looked so happy and excited to be seeing Iron Man 2 for the fourth time.

When Blair drove up and dropped them off, he said to Max, “Call as soon as you need a ride home.”

“Okay. We’ll be careful, Blair. Don’t worry,” Drew said.

They walked into the theater and Blair drove home, hoping that Jim would soon be back. When he drove up, he saw Jim’s SUV and smiled. He looked up when he got out of the vehicle and saw Jim drinking a beer on the balcony. Blair waved and Jim waved back.

Blair almost flew up the stairs, he was so happy to see his lover. He didn’t know why, but he was excited to see him.

He walked into the loft and into Jim’s arms and kissed him deeply.

“Wow, someone is horny,” Jim teased.

“I don’t want sex, I want to dance with you for an hour while the boys are at the movie. We’ll have an hour of our own time and I choose dancing,” Blair instructed.

Jim put some music on that Blair loved to dance to and they began to sway to the music.

Jim kissed Blair’s neck and said, “Did all four boys go?”

“Yes, they’re the best of friends, it’s nice to see them all together,” Blair said.

“They’re all lucky to have each other,” Jim added.

“Just like we’re lucky for all of our friends at work. We have the best of friends, don’t we?” Blair asked.

“Simon is the best friend we could ever hope to have. Joel is always there for us no matter what is going on. Conner would die for us. Rafe and Brown would just as soon not tell us how they feel but they like us too. Yes, we’re very lucky, Blair.”

“Jim, have you told Carolyn about us or about the boys?” Blair asked out of the blue.

“Why would you ask that? Who cares if she knows about anything?”

“I care. I want her to still be friends with you and I’d like her to meet our boys,” Blair said.

“Blair, she doesn’t like the two of us being together, so the chances of ever having her here is slim to none. I’m sorry,” Jim said.

“She does know about us?” Blair asked.

“Yes, I felt I owed it to her to tell her the last time she was in town. She wasn’t happy about it. In fact, she said she was going to make trouble for us. But she never did. I think she was jealous of us,” Jim guessed.

“Probably so and with good reason. She probably always wanted a happy life with you and instead you found it with a very hairy little guy,” Blair teased.

“Who are you calling little?” Jim joked back.

“I would like to keep Carolyn as a friend if we could, Jim. Do you think that’s doable?”

“No, Chief, I don’t. Too much baggage and she won’t forgive me. She always wanted a child and I didn’t think it was the right time then, so seeing us with two kids would probably make it even worse,” Jim confessed.

They danced without talking for awhile and then the phone rang. “That’ll be the boys.”

Jim picked it up and said, “You ready?”

“Hi Jim, yes, we’re ready. We’ll be waiting out front for you,” Max said.

“We’ll be right there,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

“The four guys are ready,” Jim said as he pulled Blair in for a last kiss for the evening.

“I’m ready,” Blair called out, as he shut off the stereo equipment.

“Then let’s go get these friends,” Jim said.

“Nothing beats friends. I’m glad they have them and we have them too,” Blair declared.

Jim smiled and said, “We’ve all got a good life, Chief. Thankfully we plan on having many years of that life with our friends and each other.”

They drove across town to get the boys, both men humming, You’ve Got to Have Friends.

The end

You’ve Got to Have Friends Lyrics

And I am all alone
There is no one here beside me
And my problems have all gone
There is no one to deride me

But you got to have friends
The feeling’s oh so strong
You go to have friends
To make that day last long
I had some friends but their gone
Someone came and took them away
And from the dusk till the dawn
Here is where I’ll stay

Standing at the end of the road, boys
Waiting for my new friends to come
I don’t care if I’m hungry or bored
I’m gonna get me some of them

Cause you got to have friends
La la la la la la la la la
Friends, I said you,
Oh you, yeah you, I said
You got to have some Friends
Something about friends
Just right friends
Friends, friends, friends

I had some friends oh but they’re all gone, gone
Someone came and snatched them away
And from the dusk until the very dawn
You know here is where I gotta stay
Here is where I gotta stay
And I’m standing at the end of a real long road
And I’m waiting for my new friends to come
I don’t care if I’m hungry or freezing cold
I’m gonna get me some of them

Cause you got to have friends
That’s right friends
Friends,….I gotta see my, I gotta see my
I gotta see all of my friends, friends
Friends, friends, friends
Ohhh

Family Life Part 10
Fighting
By Patt

Patt

Word Count: 3,046

Jim got done in the shower and was getting ready to shave when he heard Drew ask Blair, “Do you think we could have some friends over this weekend?”

Without pausing, Blair said, “Of course you can have some friends over this weekend. That would be super.”

“Maybe we should see if Jim has any plans first. It’s on Sunday,” Max advised.

“No, its fine with Jim, don’t worry about it. He’s a pushover most of the time,” Blair assured them both.

“Well, okay then. We’ll plan on asking four guys over to play Wii all day Sunday. Are you sure we won’t drive you nuts?” Max asked once again.

“Don’t worry about it. Who else is coming besides Mark and Mike?” Blair inquired.

“They’re new to the school and don’t have many friends yet. They’re twins and their mom will probably want to meet you first. They’re names are Sam and Seth. They’re really nice. We all get along really well.”

“Good, I’m glad to hear that friends are working out for you. Now I better get ready or I’m going to be late for work,” Blair started up the stairs to get his things for the shower.

Jim came walking out, dressed and ready and said, “So what’s new at school?”

“With us?” Max asked.

“Of course with you, who else would I be wondering about?” Jim joked with Max.

Max smiled and said, “I got an A in my exam in History yesterday. I forgot to tell Blair.”

“I got an A in my Math class. I love Calculus,” Drew said almost shyly.

“That’s terrific, both of you. What a good job you must have done on studying,” Jim surmised.

“Did you hear that we’re going to have friends over this weekend?” Max asked.

“Sure did. That’s nice,” Jim said as calmly as he could, considering he was ready to wring Blair’s neck.

“You sure you don’t mind?” Drew asked.

“The more the merrier,” Jim said and got a cup of coffee, but the smile didn’t make it to his eyes and the boys noticed.

Max shrugged when Drew looked at him for an explanation.

Blair got into the shower and Jim said, “Do me a favor guys, would you tell Blair that I had a meeting with Simon at 7:30 and he’ll have to drive his own SUV in?”

Max looked stunned. They always drove to work together. Max knew that Jim was angry about something and it was probably over them.

“Are you mad at us?” Max asked.

“Of course not. You’ve done nothing to displease me in any way. You’re both great boys. Now stop worrying and give Blair the message for me,” Jim said as he walked out the door.

As soon as Jim was in the parking lot, Max watched from the balcony and said to Drew, “They’re fighting. Blair just doesn’t know it yet.”

“Things have been going so well, I was hoping that things would be different here,” Drew said sadly.

“I guess not. They’ll fight and then they’ll break up and then they’ll place us in a new home,” Max believed.

“Oh god…” Drew said sounding even sadder then he did before.

Blair came walking out the door and said, “Where’s Jim?”

“I think he was angry. He drove to work early and said you needed to drive your own SUV,” Max said as bravely as he could.

“What do you mean, he left? We always go together,” Blair said as he walked out to the balcony and saw for sure that Jim had left the parking lot. Sure enough, there was an empty space where Jim’s SUV used to be.

“We’re sorry for starting trouble. It must have something to do with the weekend,” Drew assumed.

“You didn’t start any trouble. Jim is the one that started trouble and he’s going to hear about it big time,” Blair assured them both.

“Please don’t fight,” Max pleaded.

“Okay, we won’t fight. I’ll just talk to him like an adult would,” Blair promised.

“Maybe he had plans made for Sunday,” Drew guessed.

“Maybe he should have stayed and shared those plans with us then. He needs to get used to life being a little bit differently. He’s been spoiled for years,” Blair joked.

Both of the boys smiled at the attempt at humor and Max said, “Would you give us a ride to school today?”

“Sure, get your things ready and we’ll go right now,” Blair said.

The boys got their things and they all took off for the day. Blair dropped them at school and then dialed Jim’s phone from the SUV. It went right to voice mail, making Blair even madder.

Blair slammed it into drive and drove down the street, but it wasn’t unnoticed. Max saw the look on Blair’s face and knew he was angry. Things might get ugly over this, he just knew it.

~~~~~

When Blair walked into the bullpen, Jim was in Simon’s office. Blair sat down at his desk and fumed all alone for a while, until Conner walked up and said, “Good morning, Sandy. How are you this fine day?”

“Just fucking great, Conner.”

“Okay, then. Back to work I go,” Conner said moving off to her own desk giving Blair the ‘evil eye’. She had learned said, ‘evil eye’ from Sandy.

Jim walked out and sat down at his desk. He didn’t say good morning, how are you or fuck you. He totally ignored Blair all together. Everyone noticed and wondered what was going on.

“Jim, may I speak to you in Interrogation Room 1?” Blair asked.

“It’s being used by Rafe,” Jim answered shortly.

“Then, how about number 2?” Blair asked.

“Whatever,” Jim said as he got up and walked towards the interrogation room, he knew Blair would get his way. He always got his way. Well today, things were going to change. Jim was standing his ground.

When he got into the room, he sat down at the table and waited for Blair to enter. Blair entered all right, but he was one pissed off partner. He walked in and slammed the door.

“What the fuck is your problem today?” Blair asked outright.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Jim replied.

“Jim, we always drive together, I thought it was understood that we drive in together,” Blair said as calmly as he could.

“Well, maybe I understood that you would ask me about things in our life that you just take for granted,” Jim retorted.

“I just know you’re not talking about the boys having someone over on Sunday, right? We want them to have friends over, Jim. It’s important that they have a life outside of us,” Blair explained.

“Then why didn’t you at least ask my opinion?” Jim wondered aloud.

“They’re all upset because they knew you were mad at me and they know it’s their fault. They’re probably already planning the next home they’ll have to go to,” Blair shouted.

Jim stood up and shouted back, “Stop being so over-dramatic. It’s a misunderstanding. They don’t have to move because I’m pissed off.”

“Well, maybe I want to move. I don’t like the way you’re acting and I also don’t like the way you treated the boys. How dare you make them tell me you left early and to drive my SUV in? Who the fuck died and made you Pope?”

“So because I drove into work without you, you’re going to move?” Jim asked, suddenly interested.

“Yes, you’re being a prick. Those kids don’t need that shit. In fact, I want you to move. They can stay at the loft with me. Why should their life change just because you’re an asshole?” Blair continued shouting.

“Well, I’m not moving. You’ll just have to sleep in the office,” Jim said as he stormed out of the room.

“Fucker…” Blair whispered and knew Jim had heard him when Jim turned and glared at him.

“Grow up, Ellison,” Blair said as he walked by him and sat down at his own desk.

Simon frowned from the office. He could tell something was up with Jim this morning when he came in all alone. But now seeing the two of them together didn’t help at all. Blair was very angry and Simon wondered what Jim had done this time.

“Sandburg, my office,” Simon called out.

“Shut your mouth about private things,” Jim snarled.

“Fuck you,” Blair answered.

Blair walked in and said, “Is there a problem?”

“I would guess there is and his name must be Ellison,” Simon stated, chewing on his unlit cigar, furiously.

“Simon, it’s no one’s business what we’re fighting about.”

“Blair, keep in mind that all of this family stuff is new to him. Maybe you should cut him a break?” Simon asked.

“A break. I’ll give him a break. Now if you don’t mind, I’d like to get my work done so I can go home and calm the boys down. They were upset this morning when Jim though his temper tantrum and left the loft.”

“Oh no, not in front of the boys,” Simon fretted.

“Yes, in front of the boys. He’s as mature as he is old. I told him to get out of the loft, but he refuses to go,” Blair mentioned.

“Sandburg, you don’t really want to have him move do you?” Simon questioned.

“What I want is to start the damn day over again, so we could work this all out, but he’s being an ass, and has made that impossible.”

“Blair, calm down. One of you is going to have to give in and apologize, for the boys’ sake,” Simon suggested.

“Well, it’s not going to be me,” Blair said walking out of Simon’s office and sitting down at his desk once again.

“I want to see you in Interrogation room 2,” Jim ordered.

“Tough shit, Jim. I’m not in the mood,” Blair said pulling a file and starting to work on it.

Jim started pounding things on his desk and made everyone look his way. Conner walked over and said, “Jimbo, may I speak with you please?”

Jim followed Conner into Interrogation room 2 and shut the door. “What do you want, Conner?”

“I want to know if you hate Blair or do you dislike those boys that much?”

“What are you talking about? I love Blair and I love the boys too,” Jim said as calmly as he possibly could.

“You’re not acting like it. You’re acting like you’re five years old and didn’t get your way. Tell me honestly what started this fight,” Conner suggested.

Jim told her what was said while he was in the shower and then what Blair had told the boys. Then he just stopped.

“And?” Conner asked.

“And, he should have asked me first,” Jim said adamantly.

“Should have asked you what?” Conner asked.

“About Sunday, Conner. The least you could do is pay attention if you’re butting your nose into our life, at least listen to what I’m telling you,” Jim barked.

“Fuck you, Ellison. You’re acting like a child and one that needs a fucking spanking, at that. If I was Sandy, I would never forgive you,” Conner opened up the door and stormed out.

Jim leaned against the wall and took some deep breaths.

His phone rang and it was Max. “Max, why are you calling during school hours?”

“Jim, I know you’re mad at us, but please don’t fight with Blair. He was just trying to make things better for all of us. He tries so hard all the time. I don’t want him to be in trouble because of us. We don’t need to do anything on Sunday.”

Jim was starting to calm down, only to have it replaced with anger at himself. Blair was right. The boys did blame themselves and Jim just couldn’t have that.

“Max, I was angry at Blair for not asking my opinion, but that was all. It’s going to be all right. Don’t worry about anything. And I don’t want you talking on your cell again while you’re in school. Am I understood?” Jim asked.

“You promise that things will be fine tonight?” Max asked.

“I promise,” Jim agreed.

“All right then, I’ll go back to class. Please don’t be mad,” Max said once more.

“I’m not mad, Max. Stop worrying, all right?”

“We’ll see you tonight then,” Max said before he closed his cell phone.

Jim sighed and realized he was going to have to fix this and now. He was going to have to eat crow, whether he liked it or not.

He dialed Blair’s cell phone and Blair answered, “What?”

“Max just called me from school. Come into Interrogation room 2 and I’ll tell you about it.”

Jim closed his cell and waited all of two minutes for Blair to come rushing through the door.

“What? What’s wrong?” Blair asked frantically.

“Chief, first let me tell you that I’m sorry,” Jim started.

“What happened to Max? Why are you sorry?” Blair yelled.

“Nothing happened to him, but you were right, he was worried that it was because of them that we’re fighting. I’m sorry, I’ll try and do better,” Jim said, eyes looking at the ground as he talked.

“Jim, do you realize how badly you hurt the boys today?”

“Yes, Chief, I do. I’m sorry. I’ll apologize to them tonight. That is if you still don’t want me to move.”

Blair stood there a moment and thought about the idea of Jim moving and shuttered. He hated the idea of being separated from Jim. They were in love, damn it and they could overcome this.

“Jim, I’d sooner die then have you move,” Blair confessed.

Jim pulled Blair into his arms and said, “I’m so sorry. I was hurt this morning when you didn’t ask my opinion and it just flew out of control.”

“Okay, that part is my fault. I should have asked you when you came out. I shouldn’t have decided it on my own. I’m sorry for doing that. But we have to be careful how we act in front of these kids. They were probably already moving themselves into a new home.”

“Do you forgive me for everything I said and did?” Jim asked.

“If you’ll forgive me too,” Blair answered.

“We’ll explain everything to the boys tonight, so they don’t feel left out of the loop,” Jim said.

“Good idea. It’s a plan,” Blair agreed.

“Let’s get our work done, so we can actually leave at 5:00 as planned. I’m sorry I made you drive your own vehicle in.”

“Don’t do it again,” Blair warned and Jim knew that it was something he really needed to listen to for a change.

“I promise,” Jim said.

“Let’s get back to work and we’ll talk when we get home,” Blair said as he walked out of the room, followed closely by Jim.

Conner saw them both smile at each other and knew they had worked things out. She was glad. She hated seeing them mad at each other for anything.

Conner walked up to Jim and said, “Jimbo, are we still invited for poker Saturday night?”

“Oh Christ, I forgot all about it, Jim.”

“It’s all right, Blair. We’ll do it another weekend. One when we don’t have to get up early for the boys,” Jim said softly.

“We’ll plan poker for another Saturday, Conner. Would you pass the word?

“Sure, glad to see you two worked out your differences,” she said as she walked up to Rafe and Brown.

~~~~~

At 5:30 Max and Drew were standing on the balcony waiting for Jim and Blair to return.

“I hope they’re talking and not fighting anymore,” Drew declared.

“I hate when they argue, so I hope they’re both in a good mood when they get home,” Max confessed.

At that moment, Jim and Blair both pulled into the parking lot, parked and got out of their SUVs. They walked hand in hand up the stairs, giving both of the kids a good feeling about things.

“They must have made up,” Max surveyed.

“Thank goodness for that,” Drew said happily.

When Jim and Blair came in the door, Jim hugged both of the boys and said, “I’m sorry for being such an ass this morning. We had plans Saturday night and I was just thrown off by Blair not asking me first. But it’s not a big deal. We moved the poker game to the next Saturday.”

“From now on, we’ll get both of your permission,” Drew said, sounding so grown up it made Jim sad.

“It’s not necessary. I just got me feelings hurt and took it out on Blair, which ultimately came down on your two,” Jim explained.

“We don’t mind calling our friends and putting it off a week or two,” Max suggested.

“Don’t be silly, we’re going to have fun. Blair and I will make up all of the food and snacks for you and your friends. You’ll have a good time, we’ll see to it,” Jim said.

Max hugged both of the men and then walked up the stairs. Drew said, “He was worried we would have to move again.”

“I know, and I’m sorry for that,” Jim apologized again.

“We really like it here and didn’t want to leave,” Drew admitted.

“Good, we really like having you here too,” Blair said easily.

Drew walked up the stairs and Jim pulled Blair into his arms. “I’m really sorry. I need to understand that these boys need special care all the time. I can’t destroy them like that.”

“Thank you for seeing it, Jim. That’s the first step. And I’ll try and include you in all decision making from now on. Okay?”

“Everything is okay with me as long as it includes you and the boys in the equation.

“Good. I love you.”

“I love you,” Jim replied.

“What should we do now? Blair wondered.

“What’s say we make dinner?” Jim asked.

“You’re on,” Blair answered as they walked into the kitchen to prepare a nice dinner for the four of them.

Things weren’t always easy, but as long as everyone talked, they would be all right.

The end

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *