Family Life Parts 21-30

Family Life Part 21
Our Life
By Patt

Word Count: 3,638

Steven was coming into town and William had asked Jim, Blair and the boys to come over for dinner. Of course, Jim said yes, he was anxious for Steven to meet the boys. So was William. William was as proud of the guys as Jim and Blair were.

When Jim, Blair, Drew and Max arrived at William’s house, William seemed a little off. But that didn’t stop Jim from going and picking up his brother in a huge bear hug. “Steven, I’m so glad to see you. It’s been too long.”

Steven didn’t hug him back and said, “Listen, something came up and I have to leave.”

“What do you mean, something came up?” Jim asked.

Blair and the boys just stood there, not knowing what to say.

“I got a call from my boss and I have to meet him at the office,” Steven said grabbing his jacket and not even saying hello to Blair. I’ll see you the next time,” Steven said as he walked out the front door.

Jim just stood there with his mouth agape and didn’t even know what to say to everyone. He knew his brother was lying, he just didn’t know why.

“Dad, do you know what’s going on?” Jim asked.

“Let’s not worry about it now, Jim. We’ll talk later,” William suggested.

“The guys can handle it, dad. What’s going on?”

“Steven arrived about an hour ago and I told him about you and Blair being together, which was news to him. He was in shock about that. But then I told him about you and Blair taking in the boys and he went ballistic. He said he couldn’t believe that I allowed such terrible things to happen in our family. He said you were both sick and disgusting and he didn’t want anything to do with you.”

Jim looked like someone had punched him in the stomach. “Hell, I thought he knew about Blair and me before he left for Japan. I had no idea he didn’t know.”

“It doesn’t matter, Jimmy. He’s being an ass and doesn’t deserve to be in the family right now. Until he grows up, he won’t be welcome in my home, that’s for sure,” William stated.

“He’s just shook up, he’ll come around,” Blair said evenly.

“Blair, he’s an ass, it’s as simple as that,” William replied.

“He might be, but he had every right to his opinion. Just because it’s not our opinion doesn’t mean we’re always right. Jim will have to talk to him later on, once he calms down and comes to his senses,” Blair said.

“Fuck Steven. I’m not talking to him anytime. He’s an ass. Dad’s right. He didn’t even have the nerve to tell me this to my face. What a chicken shit, sonofabitch.”

“Jim, we have the boys here,” Blair reminded Jim.

“Sorry, guys. I’m sure it’s nothing you don’t hear at school every day,” Jim said as casually as he could.

“We’re sorry that your brother doesn’t want to meet us or hang with you, Jim. That’s a shame, he’s missing out on a really good guy,” Max commented.

“Max, he’s also missing out on meeting you and Drew, which would have been the highlight of his night, if he’d stayed and been civil,” Blair said.

“This is how our life is, if he doesn’t like it, tough. Then it wasn’t meant to be. I’ll never see my brother ever again,” Jim remarked sadly.

“Oh Jimmy, he’ll come around, don’t you worry,” William promised, but wasn’t so sure himself.

~~~~~

Dinner went well at William’s considering and then they drove home. Max said, “Maybe you could talk to your brother when you’re alone sometime.”

“Max, I know you mean well, but I don’t care if I never speak with him again,” Jim almost shouted.

Drew said, “But Jim, he’s your brother. I would die if I didn’t have Max to talk to from time to time when we were older.”

“And what if one of you turned out to be gay would the other one leave and not talk to him?” Jim asked no one in particular.

“I would never do that to Drew,” Max remarked.

“And I wouldn’t do that to Max,” Drew said.

“Maybe it’s because you’re around gay people,” Blair said.

“I would hope it would be because I love him. I accept him no matter what,” Max said strongly.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Drew said.

“I’m proud of both of you, but not everyone is like the four of us,” Jim stated.

“Which is okay, too, right?” Max asked.

Jim thought a moment and said, “Yes, I guess you’re right. Just because we think something is right doesn’t mean it is. We might just have to agree to disagree.”

Blair said, “I think we might have to do that with Steven, at least for the time being. Somehow I don’t see him coming around.”

“It’s just too bad, he might have found out he liked being an uncle, you know what I mean?” Drew asked.

“We do know what you mean, Drew. You’re absolutely right. He should have at least given it a chance first,” Blair commented.

“Enough of the sad talk. Let’s go home and watch a movie or something,” Jim suggested.

“Sounds good to me,” Drew said.

“Me too,” Max agreed.

“I’ve got some paperwork to catch up on while you three watch a movie. How does that sound?” Blair inquired.

“Blair, you’re not calling my brother. You have to promise you won’t say a word to him,” Jim requested.

“I promise. I really do have some files to get to when we get home. It had nothing to do with Steven. But I was thinking about calling him tomorrow. But I’ll listen to you and remember that I promised you. Okay?” Blair asked.

“Okay,” Jim replied sadly.

Blair knew that this was going to weigh heavily on Jim’s mind for weeks. He wished he could help, but he had promised and promises were made to keep.

~~~~~

The next day, Jim and Blair left for work and the boys were off for the day. It was a teacher’s conference and Max and Drew had big plans made. They were going to meet this uncle Steven if it killed them.

Max called William and said, “Could we have the phone number and the office address for Steven?”

William didn’t think twice before he gave it to them. If you need me, you know where I am,” William commented.

“Thank you, grampa,” Max said before he hung up.

He called the number and got the receptionist and asked if he could have a meeting with Steven Ellison. She didn’t even ask what it was about. She set up the meeting for that afternoon at 1:00. Max wrote it down and said they would see him then. He had given their names, because Steven didn’t know who they were.

Max and Drew both put on their suits that the guys had bought for them and took a bus downtown for the meeting. They had called William and asked him to cover for them if Jim or Blair called. They were determined to talk to Steven even if he threw them out he was going to listen for a few minutes anyhow.

They got to the office and checked in and the woman looked at them oddly, but didn’t say anything. She went into Steven’s office at ten minutes to one and told him his one o’clock was there. Steven told Mary to send him or her in.

Max and Drew walked into Steven’s office and Steven said, “What is the meaning of this? Who are you? I know you’re not here for insurance, so what are you doing here?”

Max pushed Drew into the chair closest to the door and he continued standing. He said, “My name is Max Miller and I’m the foster child that your brother took in. Before you have us thrown out, I would like to speak in Jim’s defense. Would that be all right?”

Steven was somewhat impressed that this child took it upon himself to speak in Jim’s behalf. He decided he would listen. “Go ahead, I’m listening.”

Drew felt like they might be getting somewhere if he was actually listening.

Max then sat down next to Drew and said, “This is my brother, Drew, he’s 13 and they took us both in. Let me tell you about us first of all. We didn’t want to go with Jim and Blair because the idea of having two gay men raise us wasn’t at the top of our wish list, if you know what I mean? Then we got kicked out of one foster home after another and finally got placed in a horrible place that treated us like shit, excuse my language. They were so mean to us. The man was as mean as my parents had been. He hit us on a nightly basis and one night Drew said to me, “Would it be so bad to live with a gay couple if they’re nice?” and I thought about it and realized he was right. What if they treated us really nice? What if we had a life for a change instead of a sentence instead? We decided to meet them and give them a chance. We didn’t know how it would work out, but they are so damn nice, excuse my language again. They never hit us, they never even act mad at us. They smile at us for no reason and make us wonderful meals. They are so good to us that sometimes we feel like we’re going to have the rug pulled out from underneath us. Today we feel like the rug is being yanked a little. We don’t want to lose our home, but I know that Jim wants to keep his relationship with his brother, so what do we do about it? We talked into the night and realized there is nothing we can do about it. You have to want to give Jim and Blair a chance. I really wish you would. We didn’t think it would work, but it does. They’re the best couple that we ever could have imagined come into our lives. They love us for no reason other than we’re being ourselves. They love each other so much and I know they take flack at work and it’s a shame that they have to take it from family too. There should be somewhere that you feel safe. I like to think that place is with our family. That’s Jim, Blair, William and Naomi. We would like to include you too. You’re the only uncle we’ll ever have. This means a lot to us. I know you don’t know us, but we’re pretty good kids. We don’t give them much grief and we try to stay out of their hair for the most part. But you want to know what’s weird? They don’t want us to stay out of their hair. They like us. Hell, they love us, excuse my language again. They have constantly made us feel like we are blood relatives and so has William. We call him grampa and everything. You have no idea how excited Jim was to have you coming back to the United States again. He wanted to share his family with you. We’re all he has. I would like to think that’s enough, but that’s up to you. Jim is worth fighting for, Steven. Please at least say you’ll think about it?”

“Are you finished?” Steven asked.

“Yes, I’m done. You can throw us out now. I just wanted to say something in their defense. They have no one. They only have family and they were hoping that was enough. Please say you’ll think about it?” Max pleaded.

“I’ll think about it and get back to you. Can I call you at the house? At Jim’s house?” Steven asked.

“Yes, it’s our home. You can call us there anytime. Thank you for letting us say something,” Max commented.

“Do you have anything to say, Drew?” Steven asked.

“I only memorized a little bit. So I’m not going to be as good as Max. I love Jim and Blair. They treat us like family and give us everything we need. And I don’t mean money. I mean, love, attention and things like that. Our friends like Jim and Blair too. It took awhile for them to get used to the whole gay thing, but they got used to it and come over all the time. They really like it at our house. If strangers can get used to Jim and Blair, can’t you give them a chance?” Drew inquired.

“I can’t make any promises, but I’m going to think about it after you leave. I’ll let Jim know the outcome no matter what. I owe him that much,” Steven said.

“That would be great. Thank you again for listening to us,” Max said as they got up to leave. Steven held out his hand and said, “It was good meeting you both.”

Both Drew and Max shook hands with him and left the office. They didn’t say a word until they got down to the street.

“I think he might give Jim and Blair a chance,” Drew said happily.

“Don’t count on it, Drew. He’s just going to think about it. That’s a far cry from actually coming around,” Max stated.

“Well, I think he’s going to come over. It would be nice to have an uncle wouldn’t it?” Drew asked.

“Yes, it would. Hey, we better get on the bus or we’re not going to be home before Jim and Blair. We’ll have to tell them where we were,” Max bossed as he pushed Drew towards the bus stop.

“We’re never saying what we were doing here today. Promise?” Drew questioned.

“Promise. Some things are better off not said,” Max agreed.

They got on the bus and made their way home.

~~~~~

Once the boys got home, they took the chicken out for dinner and got a recipe book out and made something new. They were going to have Chicken and Dumplings. Max was very excited to help with the recipe. Drew did most of the work, but Max helped bone the chicken. Drew wasn’t that thrilled about that part of it. They didn’t start the dumplings until they saw Jim and Blair in the parking lot. They didn’t want to overcook them at all. This way it would be fresh and they wouldn’t fall apart.

When Jim and Blair came through the door, Blair said, “Have you been cooking again, Drew?”

“Yup…I tried something new. I thought it sounded good. Chicken and Dumplings, do you like them?” Drew asked.

Jim smiled and said, “We like anything that we don’t have to make ourselves.”

They all laughed and Jim and Blair went to wash up for dinner. The table was already set by the boys and as soon as Jim and Blair got in the dining room, they all sat down to eat.

Jim and Blair again made all of the right noises while they were eating and Drew was thrilled. “Max helped me with everything tonight. It was a hard recipe, so he deboned all of the chicken. Max is really fast.”

“Good job, Max. It’s really good, boys. You did a wonderful job. The house smells great, it tasted great and you’re great. All in all, we’re having a good evening,” Jim remarked wearing a big smile.

“Thank you,” Drew said.

“No, Drew, thank you for everything you and Max do to help us out. It really does help us out. You give us more reasons to come home then most teens do. So, thank you,” Blair declared.

Max and Drew both smiled and started cleaning up the dishes from the table.

“Oh no you don’t. Blair and I will clean the table off and do the dishes. You guys go play Wii or something. Have a relaxing evening. Thanks again for everything.”

“I made dessert too,” Drew said happily.

“Oh God, he made dessert. I’m going to gain 20 pounds in a month at this rate,” Blair teased.

“What are we having?” Jim asked hoping it would be something he loved. He didn’t use his sense of smell to figure it out either.

“We made a baked cheesecake with a raspberry topping. We’ll have it later, okay?” Drew answered.

Jim gave each of the boys a hug and told them to get lost.

Jim and Blair cleaned up the kitchen and got everything loaded in the dishwasher in record time. Blair knew it was because Jim wanted dessert. But Jim swore it was for no other reason then cleaning the kitchen.

They sat down in the living room and were talking and there was a knock at the door.

Jim cocked his head and listened and whispered, “Its Steven.”

“Really? Maybe he’s come to his senses,” Blair said happily. He got up and went for the door. Jim stopped him and said, “I don’t know what to say.”

“We’ll play it by ear then. Open the door, Jim.”

Jim went and opened up the door and a shamefaced looking brother stood there looking at the floor.

“Steven. I’m somewhat surprised to see you here,” Jim started.

“May I come in?” Steven asked.

“Yes, I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking. Come in, sit down,” Jim said as he walked into the living room with Steven.

“I love what you’ve done with the loft. It’s much bigger. Did you buy another one and connect them?” Steven asked.

“Yes, we did. We knew we wanted to have foster children and it’s hard to do with a small place like we had. So we enlarged it. Not a biggy at all, but sure made the difference to us,” Jim explained.

“Well, it looks wonderful. I want to apologize for being such an asshole at dad’s the other night. I don’t know what I was thinking. But I like the idea of having nephews, so if it’s still all right, I would like to be part of the family,” Steven said.

Jim said, “And you would accept me and Blair being together?”

“Well, it would be hard to be part of the family without Blair,” Steven replied.

“Did dad make you come over here?” Jim asked.

“No, I haven’t even talked to dad since last night. It feels like a month ago. I’m really sorry. I was such an ass,” Steven said.

“We would like you to meet the boys. Do you have time?” Jim asked.

“Of course I have time. Call them down,” Steven insisted.

Jim went to the back stairs and called the boys down. They walked down the stairs and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Steven. They just stood there not knowing what to say or do.

“Bring them over here so I can meet them,” Steven said.

Jim led the boys over to Steven and said, “Steven this is Max and Drew. They are our sons. They made a wonderful dinner for us tonight and dessert. Would you like to stay for dessert?” Jim questioned.

“I would like that very much. They seem like nice boys, I’d like to get to know them better,” Steven said winking at Drew and Max.

The boys knew that Steven wasn’t going to tell Jim about the visit. They were relieved to say the least.

Steven stayed for two hours, visited and had dessert and then Jim walked him down to the parking lot.

Once in the lot Jim said, “So did the boys come and see you?”

Steven smiled and said, “How did you know that?”

“I could hear their hearts beating way too hard when they saw you. And yours was a little out of whack too. I knew you had met them before and not just at dads. We don’t even have to say anything to them. They’re good boys aren’t they?” Jim asked.

“They’re great kids, Jim. You and Blair are very lucky guys indeed. Now I need to get on the road. I’ll see you next week. We’ll all go out to eat or something,” Steven suggested.

“Sounds good to me, bro,” Jim answered and gave Steven a hug.

Upstairs Blair was cleaning up the kitchen with Max and Drew and said, “So how did you get to Steven’s office today?”

Both of the boys blushed, but didn’t answer. “It’s all right. Jim doesn’t know, so we’ll never tell him. But I could tell that Steven knew you before he came over. Let’s keep this to ourselves, okay?”

“That’s fine with me, Blair. Thanks for not telling him,” Drew said.

Jim came walking in the door and they all stopped talking. Jim looked at them and said, “Okay, so Blair knew about it too?”

“Oh man, he knows,” Blair replied.

“We’re really sorry for butting in, but we felt like we had to do something. Grampa told us where to go for the appointment. You’re not mad, are you?” Max asked.

“Nope, not at all. You boys are the best thing in our lives. Thank you,” Jim said as he hugged both of them.

“We’ve got to go to bed. There was just too much excitement for us tonight,” Max said happily as he climbed the stairs.

“Goodnight, Drew. Goodnight Max. We’ll see both of you tomorrow morning,” Jim said as he walked up the stairs to his room too.

Blair looked around the loft and realized he was in the fucking Twilight Zone and he liked it there. He walked up to join Jim for bed and smiled the entire way.

Life was good.

The end

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
8 cups chicken broth
In a large wide pot, simmer the chicken pieces in the broth until the chicken is tender, 30 minutes or more. Remove the chicken and set it aside. When cool enough to handle, skin and bone the chicken and shred or cut it into bite sized pieces. If desired, skim the chicken fat off the surface of the broth.
Dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cold
1/2 cup water
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the flour baking powder and salt.
Using a food processor, pastry blender, or two knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of very small peas and distributed throughout the dry ingredients. Add the water and knead 8 to 10 times. If the dough seems too sticky, add a little more flour. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 1-inch squares. Bring the broth to a rolling boil, drop in the dumplings, cover the pot and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked. Overcooking will cause the dumplings to fall apart.
To serve, place the chicken pieces in a bowl and ladle hot broth and dumplings over the chicken.
Serving Size: 6

CREAMY BAKED CHEESECAKE 1 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 (14 oz.) Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
3 eggs
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 (8 oz.) sour cream
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine crumbs, sugar and butter; press firmly on bottom of 9 inch springform pan.
In large mixer bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add eggs and lemon juice; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until center is set; top with sour cream. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool. Chill. Serve with Raspberry Topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
RASPBERRY TOPPING:
In small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup syrup drained from 1 (10 ounce) package thawed frozen red raspberries, 1/4 cup red currant jelly or red raspberry jam and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and clear. Cool, stir in raspberries. Serve over cheesecake.

Family Life Part 22
Hopes
By Patt

Word Count: 2,152

Jim dropped the boys off at school on his way to the station. He was alone because Blair was at the academy teaching. He found himself glad to hear that the boys needed a ride. They both had their science projects to carry in and they didn’t want to walk or ride the bus with them.

Jim was so proud of their projects. They never asked for any help, only showed them the finished products. Jim hoped that their teachers were as happy as he and Blair had been with them. They were so damn smart, that sometimes Jim felt like he was being passed up. But they never made him feel like he wasn’t getting things. Nope, he just felt old most of the time.

~~~~~

When he arrived at the station, Simon was waiting for him. “Ellison, my office.”

Jim got nervous right away, thinking something horrible had happened in the short time since he left the boys off.

“Sir?” Jim asked.

Simon pushed him into a chair and shut the door. “Jim, I have a favor to ask. Daryl wants to get one of the lofts in your building and I’m thinking about getting one for an investment, but I want to know how much to offer. I figure you must know what they’re worth.”

“God, I thought something happened to one of the boys or to Blair. Way to scare the shit out of a person,” Jim said relaxing a little bit.

“Sorry, I just wondered about what to offer. Do you know?” Simon inquired.

“We paid $60,000.00 for ours. I don’t see why you would ever have to pay more then that. In fact, ours was in pretty good shape, so if it’s not in good shape, you could offer less then that. I would go see it first. How did Daryl hear about it?” Jim wondered.

“Blair told him the last time he was there hanging out with the boys. You wouldn’t mind having him there would you?” Simon asked.

“Hell no. We love Daryl. He’s a great kid and Blair could be useful in helping him with college classes. I think he’s passed me up already,” Jim joked.

“Tell me about it. He’s studying things, I never even thought about. Blair would be able to help him. Would you mind looking at it with me today?” Simon questioned.

“We could go now, if nothing is pressing,” Jim offered.

“Let me call the guy at the building and see if he can see us today. Then you can advise me on how much to offer,” Simon stated.

“I’ll be at my desk checking my messages,” Jim said as he walked out the door. This was his idea of working, taking off to do nothing with the boss. Jim smiled all the way to his desk.

Jim went ahead and filed a report that was sitting on his desk while he had some time. Simon was still on the phone, so he needed to find something to do anyhow.

Simon walked up to Jim’s desk and said, “We can leave now if you want to.”

“Sure, I just finished the Samoni report. Let me go and put it on your desk. I’ll be right back,” Jim said as he took the report and put it in Simon’s office.

Jim smiled as he met Simon at the elevator and they got on together. “I’ll drive,” Jim said.

“I never doubted it. You don’t like when other people drive,” Simon stated a fact.

“Why do you and Blair always say that? I prefer to drive, but I don’t have to if you know what I mean,” Jim said.

“Okay, then let’s take my car,” Simon teased.

Jim had a look of horror on his face and said, “You’re kidding me aren’t you?”

“Yes, Jim, I’m kidding you. Now let’s get going before everyone notices we’re gone.”

Jim drove him over to the building and they parked in the parking lot and walked out to meet Mr. Stanley, the one that was selling the lofts.

Jim stuck his hand out and shook Stanley’s hand and said, “It’s good to see you again, Mr. Stanley. I hear you have a unit open?”

“Jim, it’s good to see you. Yes, we have a second floor unit open, not near as nice as the one you bought upstairs, but still very nice,” Stanley said.

Simon said, “Could I ask how much you’re asking for it?”

“Of course you can, you’re the one that wants to buy it,” Mr. Stanley teased. “It’s $58,000., for this unit.”

Simon smiled and said, “I’d like to see it now.”

Mr. Stanley took them up in the elevator and stopped at the second floor and got out. He walked to 202 and opened the door. Jim was a little surprised to see how shabby the unit looked. It hadn’t been painted in years. The floors were all scratched up and the kitchen was almost non-existent. Jim wouldn’t pay the price they were asking on a bad day or a good day.

Simon looked around and said, “Jim, do you think we can fix it up so that it’s livable? It’s not right now, is it?”

“No, it’s not. It’s in really poor shape, but we could do a lot of things to bring it up to speed. What price are you hoping for?” Jim almost whispered.

“Do you think it would be an insult to offer 42 for it?” Simon wondered.

“Never know until you ask,” Jim said.

Simon turned to Mr. Stanley and said, “I would love to buy this, but with all of the work involved to get it in shape, I couldn’t pay more then 42 for it.”

“I would take $42,000. for it, that’s a good price. There is a lot of fixing up to do. We can draw up the papers now and you can go see about the loan right away,” Mr. Stanley stated.

“Thank you for showing it to us on such short notice. It’s a great unit, just needs some love.” Simon commented.

“As soon as you bring me the check, the place will be all yours,” Mr. Stanley said as they walked down to his unit to fill out the paperwork.

Once they were done, they drove back to the station. Jim was going to go back to work and Simon was going to the bank.

“Simon, do you need any help with the down payment or anything?” Jim asked nicely.

“You’re the best friend I could ever hope to have. I’ve put some money away in the last few years, so I have some. Thank you for the offer though. My hopes were to buy Daryl his own place some day and by god, I just might be able to do it.”

“It’s going to be great. We’ll redo the floors, paint the walls and put in a good kitchen. It’s going to be nice when it’s done. Wait and see,” Jim said happily.

Jim parked in the garage at the station and Simon headed to his car. “Wish me luck on the loan.”

“Luck!” Jim answered with a smile.

Jim walked upstairs and Blair was there already. He smiled when he saw Jim come walking in.

“Where were you?” Blair asked.

“Simon and I went to look at one of the units in our building for Daryl. Simon’s going to buy it. Isn’t that great?”

“Man, that would be so nice to have Daryl close by. He’s so nice to the boys, it’ll be good to have a role model as close as that. Not to mention, we’ll love seeing him too. This is great news, Jim.”

“I knew you would be happy about it. It needs a lot of work, though. So we’re going to be working our butts off to get it in shape,” Jim explained.

“Which unit is it?” Blair asked.

“202 is the one. The floors need to be stripped and redone, the kitchen needs to be gutted, the bathroom needs to be gutted and the walls all need paint. So we’re going to be busy. It’s always been Simon’s hope to buy Daryl a place some day, so this works for him,” Jim said.

“If it’s all right with you, Jim, I’d like to buy the appliances for the new kitchen. Would that be all right? I want stainless in there and I’m afraid it’ll be too expensive for Simon after he pays for the loft.”

“That’s a great idea, and I’ll pay for his bed in his bedroom. It’ll be a perfect house warming present,” Jim said happily planning.

They both went back to work on the files they needed to get done and planned things in between.

~~~~~

In the next two months, Simon, Blair and Jim worked on the loft. Simon wanted it to be a surprise for Daryl, so he didn’t tell him anything about it. So Jim and Blair had to sneak around when Daryl was over visiting.

The floors were beautiful when Jim finished stripping and refinishing them. The walls looked great too. But the best thing about the loft was the bedroom and the kitchen.

The kitchen was so nice, and it looked totally awesome with the new appliances in it. They were all stainless and Blair had done a good job picking them out.

They all knew that Daryl was going to love it, no matter what, but it looked like a brand new place when they were all done with it.

The bedroom in the loft turned out excellent also. Jim had found a bed he thought Daryl would like. Something that a young person would think was cool. Blair had helped him pick it out, but it was Jim that first found the bed. He loved it and hoped Daryl did too.

Simon looked around that last day and said, “I think we have reached finishing, what do you think?”

“I think this place turned out excellent. I say we bring down Drew and Max and let them see it and see if we forgot anything,” Blair advised.

Simon smiled at his youngest detective and said, “I think that’s a good idea. Why don’t you go up and get them?”

“I’ll call,” Blair said laughing as he picked up the phone on the wall and dialed their house number.

“Ellison and Sandburg residence,” Max answered.

“Hi Max, its Blair. We’re downstairs in 202 and we want you and Drew’s opinion on how Daryl’s new house looks. Think you could come down and look at it?”

“Oh cool, he’s going to live downstairs?” Max asked.

“That’s only if we did a good enough job on it,” Blair teased.

“We’ll be right down,” Max said before he hung up the phone.

They stood back and looked at everything and Simon smiled. “This place looks like a million bucks. I could never thank you both enough for all of your help. He’s going to be so thrilled and when he’s outgrown the loft, we can sell it and get another place,” Simon remarked.

The boys knocked on the door and Simon opened it. “Now we need you to be truthful. If something looks like it’s ugly or whatever you have to tell us as much, okay?”

Max and Drew walked into the place with eyes open big and wide. Drew was the first one to say, “Killer kitchen, he’s going to love the bar and the stainless steel.”

Both boys looked at everything and then walked upstairs to see the bedroom. “I really like the bed you chose, Simon. He’s going to love it,” Max said.

“Well, I’m glad, but Jim picked the bed. I think he did a good job picking it out too,” Simon stated.

“I’m taking him out for dinner tonight and then I’ll spring this on him. He’ll be very excited. So just wait until tonight, Max and Drew. He’ll probably call you to show off his new place.”

“I can’t wait to hear about the look on his face. He’s going to love it, Simon,” Max commented.

Everyone went their separate ways and couldn’t wait to hear from Daryl that night.

Jim and Blair made dinner in their loft and they all talked about Daryl’s new place. After dinner they did dishes and cleaned up the place waiting for a phone call.

Finally at ten that night, the phone rang and it was Daryl calling Max and Drew. He asked them to come downstairs so he could show off his new place. Daryl invited Jim and Blair too, so he could thank them for everything.

They all walked down the stairs one flight to see Daryl’s new place and wish him well.

All of Simon’s hopes had come true. Jim and Blair were thrilled for him.

The end

Family Life Part 23
Building Buddies
By Patt

For my Moonridge winner, Pam, who wanted two new Family Life stories. The first one is going to be about buying cheap real estate and turning into a profit. The boys are going to help Jim and Blair build old places, into new. This idea was given to me by Helena. Thank you, sweetie. It was a good idea. I hope both you and Pam like this story.

Word Count: 3,578

Jim walked into the building where they lived and was met by Mr. Stanley. “Hi Jim, I have an offer to make and hope you’ll take me up on it.”

“What’s going on, Mr. Stanley?” Jim asked.

“I have two condo’s side by side and wondered if you’d like to buy them and turn them into a beautiful place like your own or the one you did for Daryl Banks. This place has really been getting in shape since you all fixed yours up, everyone is working on theirs. It looks like a new building instead of an old one. I’d give you a really good price on it and when you sell it, I have some buyers that are interested. I would sell them both to you for 50,000.00 and you could charge about 90,000.00 when you sell it. What do you think?” Mr. Stanley wondered.

“That sounds like a perfect idea for a project for me, Blair and our boys. They could use the work out and earn extra money that way. It’s a great idea. Draw up the papers and I’ll get the check for you at the bank tomorrow. What floor are they on?” Jim asked.

“First floor, so no skylight, but people like being on the ground floor much better, so it’ll move fast. I’ll go get the paperwork done and drop by and give it to you tonight. It needs a lot of work, Jim. I’m glad you’re going to take it on,” Mr. Stanley stated as he walked up the stairs with Jim to go to his place and do the paperwork.

Jim said, “We’ll see you later, tonight. Thanks for the offer.”

“See you later, Jim. Say hi to Blair for me,” Mr. Stanley called out over his shoulder.

Jim used his key and walked into the loft. Blair was cooking dinner and the boys were sitting at the dining room table doing homework, it looked like.

“Hey Jim, glad to see you made it back from court in one piece,” Blair said.

“I have a surprise for all three of you,” Jim commented quickly and happily.

“What?” Max asked just as quickly.

“We’re buying two condo’s in this building, and we’re going to work on it as a family and turn it into a profit. Doesn’t that sound fun?” Jim asked.

Blair looked at him oddly and said, “You just thought that would be fun?”

“Yeah, I thought it would fun for all of us. We can pay the boys for helping us, so they can earn extra money and we’ll be able to fix it up nicely and sell it for a huge profit. Mr. Stanley is bringing the paperwork by tonight and I’ll get the check from the bank tomorrow,” Jim explained.

Drew stood up and walked towards Jim and said, “I think it’s a great idea. It’ll be fun working side by side with you and Blair. It’ll give us plenty to do on the weekends that we’re bored. I say it’s a good judgment call.”

Blair smiled and said, “Well, they seem to be on board about it, so I guess I will be too. Do we have to do a lot of the same things we did in Daryl’s loft?”

“Yeah, but we’ll have two, so there will be two bathrooms, two bedrooms and a nice living room, dining room and big kitchen. It’s going to be fun. You wait and see,” Jim promised.

“Have you even seen it yet?” Blair asked.

“No, I thought I would wait for the paperwork and ask him to show it to all four of us tonight. Does that sound good to everyone else?” Jim wondered.

“Works for me,” Max replied and smiled as he went back to his homework.

“I like the idea,” Drew said happily.

“I like the idea, too. It’ll be great family time. And if we like it a lot we might be able to do this from time to time. We could do this to make extra money for the boys for college,” Blair suggested.

“That’s a damn good idea, Blair. We’re going to set up a lot of the money in their college fun when we sell this thing. You just wait and see, it’s going to be fun,” Jim said as he walked into the kitchen and gave Blair a proper hello, hug and kiss.

!!!!!!!!!!

After dinner was done, the dishes were all cleaned up and everyone was in watching a movie, the doorbell rang. Jim answered it because he knew it was Mr. Stanley.

“Hi, Mr. Stanley. Come on in,” Jim said standing aside so he could enter.

“Would you all like to see this place you’re going to be working on?” Mr. Stanley inquired.

Blair and the boys got up immediately and said, “Yes.”

Mr. Stanley laughed and said, “Someone is anxious all ready.”

He led them downstairs, after Jim locked up their loft and they walked into the first condo and saw it was already made into a double condo. Jim and Blair were not going to have to tear down walls, they were just going to have to strip the floors, paint and replace all of the kitchen and bathrooms. The place wasn’t as bad as Mr. Stanley had made it sound, so they were very excited.

Blair pulled Jim down close and whispered, “This isn’t going to be bad at all.”

“I know, it’s going to be a breeze. We’re going to have fun,” Jim answered.

“What do you think?” Mr. Stanley asked after they looked at all of the rooms and took notes.

Drew said, “You know, we have friends that are looking for a condo. This would be perfect for them. Jim ,do you think we could have it finished in a couple of months?”

“I think it’ll be ready in a couple of months, yes.”

“Max, I was thinking about the twins. Their mom said she’d love to have a place like what ours is like. But she knew she couldn’t afford it. But maybe we could fix things a little cheaper so that we could sell it a little cheaper,” Drew suggested.

“No, we’re not doing things cheap. We’ll see when the time comes on what the price will be. It depends on how much we put into it. We have to make a profit, boys,” Jim explained.

Max smiled and said, “Seth and Sam would love this place. They love ours, I know that much.”

“Don’t say anything to them, boys. It would just get their hopes up and they might not be able to afford it. So keep comments to ourselves until we’re ready to sell it,” Blair stated.

“Yeah, we wouldn’t want to get Seth and Sam all excited and then find out they couldn’t have it. Too bad we can’t have them help us. It would be really fun with the four of us helping you and Blair. We could be building buddies. What do you think?” Max asked Jim.

“What do you think, Blair?” Jim asked, needing a second opinion.

“They can probably use the extra money for helping, but it’s totally up to you. You wanted it to be a family project didn’t you?” Blair asked.

“Sort of,” Jim replied.

Max said, “Then it’ll just be the four building buddies. It’s okay Jim. We’ll have fun.”

Jim turned to Mr. Stanley and said, “I’ll bring you the check first thing in the morning. This is going to be fun.”

Mr. Stanley smiled and said, “I knew I could count on you for fixing this place up. You’re got the touch, both you and Blair.”

They all talked awhile longer and then walked back upstairs to their own loft and talked more once they got inside without Mr. Stanley.

“Jim, it doesn’t need near as much work as we thought it did. It’s just dirty. It’s more neglected than anything and I think we’re going to be able to do this easily,” Blair said.

“I couldn’t agree with you more,” Jim remarked.

“When do we start?” Max asked.

“This weekend. We’re both off for the weekend, and we’re going to get everything clean and washed down. Then we’ll see where we go from there,” Jim answered.

Blair said, “We’ll make a list of things to do tonight and then we’ll do it this weekend.”

“We’ll clean first, then paint, then strip the floors and then do the kitchen and bathrooms. It’s going to be great,” Jim said dreamily.

Drew said, “I can’t wait to get started. We better think about getting ready for bed, Max. We have to go to school early tomorrow for our project display.”

“Do you have the camera to take pictures so we can see the display?” Jim asked.

“Yes, Jim, I have the camera. You’ve asked me four times,” Drew said laughing.

“Well, we can’t take off for it, so I feel bad that we’re missing your science project,” Jim admitted.

“You saw them here, it’s not like they’re that big of a deal,” Max confessed.

“They were to us,” Blair said.

“Thanks, Blair and Jim. You’re the best,” Max said as he walked up the stairs. “See you in the morning.”

“Night, Jim and Blair,” Drew called out over his shoulder as he headed for the stairs.

!!!!!!!!!!

The next day, Jim took off long enough to go to the bank and get the check for Mr. Stanley. Mr. Stanley had him sign the papers, he signed said papers along with Jim and then handed Jim a set of keys. Jim thanked him and went back to work, happily carrying his new keys.

!!!!!!!!!!

That weekend, the boys started hauling things out of the condo, cleaning and stripping the walls bear. They were all working on something different. Max and Drew were working on cleaning the two loft bedrooms and Jim was cleaning the kitchen, while Blair was cleaning the two bathrooms. At the end of the day, they couldn’t believe how much better it looked already.

“This place is going to be great. Did you notice how nice the floors look? They don’t have to be redone, they were just filthy. They aren’t damaged at all,” Jim said happily.

“I noticed. And the tiles in the bathrooms are both good, so we don’t have to replace them either. We just need the tubs, showers, toilets and sinks. Sounds like a lot for the bathrooms, but we’ll find good sales and get it spruced up in no time at all,” Blair assured them all.

Jim said, “Do you have any color choices made for the bathrooms yet?”

“Yeah, I’m thinking something blue. I like blue and it’s such an airy room, there are two windows, so we want it bright and sunny looking. That’s why I chose blue. Does anyone not like blue?” Blair wondered.

“I love blue,” Max answered.

“Me too,” Drew agreed.

“I’m with them, Blair. Do you have ideas yet, or is that in the making?” Jim asked.

“I have the entire bathroom planned out. It’s going to rock. When we’re done, no one will know this was a shabby place at one time.”

“I think for the kitchen, we’re going to use light green paint and off white cabinets. It’s a very large area, so we need something nice and bright for it. I’ve already done the measurements and now we just need to find the cabinets and appliances,” Jim said.

“What about upstairs, boys?” Blair asked.

“We just need to paint and polish the floors and the railings. Then we’ll be done up there. Are we furnishing this place?” Max asked.

“Yes, without spending all of our savings, mind you. We’ll find things on sale and put them in the rooms as we see them. It’s going to be fun,” Blair remarked.

“Maybe we can go to Ikea, for some house things, what do you think?” Drew asked.

“They’re inexpensive. They’re not made to last real long, but they would be fine. We’ll put shopping on our list of things to do as we get done with each room. Let’s finish the kitchen first, how about that?” Jim suggested.

!!!!!!!!!!

For the next four weeks, the boys helped Jim and Blair every single day that they could. Everything was done except finishing the bathrooms. Blair was finishing up those that afternoon. Max couldn’t wait to see the finished product. Blair hadn’t let them see the bathroom’s at all, while he was working on them. He wanted it to be a surprise.

Blair walked out of the second bathroom, smiling and said, “I’m ready for the unveiling. Who wants to see bathroom one and bathroom 2? They’re exactly alike, like at our house.”

“I want to see them,” Max replied.

“I can’t wait to see them, “Drew said jumping up off the sofa in the living room and walked towards the bathrooms.

Blair opened the first door and they were shocked. It had been so plain and down right ugly to begin with, that they were just blown away.

[[[bathroom.jpg]]]

Jim whistled making Blair blush. “You really like it?” Blair asked insecurely.

“Like it? I love it,” Jim answered.

“Well, I was beginning to worry after I saw how wonderful the kitchen looked and the living room. When do we get to see the bedrooms?” Blair asked.

“Today is good. We furnished the main bedroom with used furniture that Blair helped us buy. But it looks good. Come on up and see it,” Max invited.

They all walked up the stairs and Jim smiled. It wasn’t done up like he would have done it up, but it looked nice and clean. That’s what was most important.

[[[bedroom1.jpg]]]

“The second bedroom is a lot like ours. So you can just imagine what that looks like,” Drew said.

“Gee, I wonder why you were doing a room up with twin beds. Does it have anything to do with the twins?” Jim asked almost laughing.

“Well, we figured, just in case,” Max confessed.

They walked upstairs ands saw the second bedroom and it looked great. Jim and Blair were really proud of how hard the boys had worked on this unit.

“It’s time to advertise it for sale,” Jim said.

“Can we bring Seth and Sam’s mom over to see it?” Drew asked.

“Anyone can come to the open house, Drew. But they might not be able to afford it. So keep that in mind,” Jim reminded him.

“Okay, well we’ll hope for the best,” Max said smiling.

“Max and Drew, I had a really good time working with you both. It was a lot of fun wasn’t it?” Blair asked.

“I had a great time, “ Max answered.

“Could we do this again some time?” Drew asked.

“I think it depends on how much we make from this one. If we do well enough, put some aside for your college and see if we have enough to start another project, maybe so,” Blair commented.

“I hope we can. We had fun working with you guys all four weeks. I can’t believe how fast the time went by,” Max said.

“I had fun with you guys, too. We’ll see how well we do with this one and make plans after that. Maybe the next thing we’ll work on is a house. A small house. What do you think of that?” Jim asked.

“That would be fun, I think as long as we don’t have to move into it. We really like the loft,” Max admitted.

“So do we, Max, so do we,” Blair said.

!!!!!!!!!!

The open house went well. Jim got seven offers on the place, all of them were good, but he got one that was lower then the rest of them and it was from Sam and Seth’s mom. Jim sat at the table that night after the boys had gone to bed and whispered, “What would you think about selling the place for 20,000.00 less then we planned?”

“Oh my God, you’re thinking about Seth and Sam’s mom?” Blair said smiling.

“Well, she offered that much, I could counter-offer, but I don’t see that she’s got much more. We would still come out smelling like a rose. What do you think?” Jim asked, needing Blair’s opinion.

“I say go for it, Jim. I think you want to help her out, so go for it. I’ll call the rest of the people tomorrow morning while we’re off and tell them it’s sold already,” Blair said.

Jim hugged Blair to his body and said, “Thank you, Chief. I needed someone to agree with me. I couldn’t make the decision alone. It’ll be nice to have the twins close by for different things, I think. I hope they don’t drive us all nuts,” Jim said laughing.

“Let’s go to bed. You can call her in the morning and tell her,” Blair suggested.

“Do you think it’s too late to call her tonight?” Jim asked.

“Call her, you know you want to. Go ahead, it’ll make her night. Then tell her that we’ll help them move in. It’ll be nice for her since her husband left her alone with the boys. She’ll need help,” Blair decided.

Jim grabbed the phone and called the number on the paper. Mrs. Barrow answered and Jim said, “Hi Mrs. Barrow, this is Jim Ellison, I hope I didn’t wake you up.”

“No, you didn’t wake me up. I was trying to get a few loads of laundry ready to take to the Laundromat, I don’t have a washer and dryer,” Mrs. Barrow said.

“Well, you do now. There is one in your new home, so we just need to get the paperwork done at the bank tomorrow if you still want the place,” Jim said happily.

“Oh my God, I can’t believe we had a chance at getting it. I heard everyone was making you great offers, how in the world did I get it?” Mrs. Barrow’s asked.

“I thought the person that should have it should be the one that would like it the most. I think that’s you. You need it more than anyone else did and you loved every room. I watched you as you went through and looked at it. The boys will love being so close to Max and Drew and I know our boys are going to be thrilled to have Sam and Seth as neighbors. So do we have a deal?” Jim asked point blank.

“We have a deal. Can I call you Jim?” she asked.

“Yes, what is your first name?” Jim asked.

“Denise, please call me that. And can I call Blair, Blair?” Denise asked sounding happier then she had ever sounded to Jim.

“Yes, you can call him Blair. He’ll love it. Call me in the morning and we’ll go to the bank and get the papers filled out. Are you prequalified?” Jim wondered.

“Yes, I got that done last week when I heard about the condo being up for sale. So I’m already pre-qualified. We just need to fill out the final paperwork. It’ll still take weeks,” Denise said sadly.

“Do you have a reason to be out sooner then that?” Jim asked.

“My husband wants the apartment back. He and his girlfriend are moving in. He told us we had one month to get out. Next week is the end of that month,” Denise said sadly.

“I can’t believe he kicked you out of your own home. Well, looks like you’ll be renting from us until your paperwork goes through. We can move you this weekend, how does that sound? Jim offered.

“That sounds like the best thing that’s ever happened to us. Thank you Jim for giving us a chance,” Denise said before she hung up the phone.

Jim went and shut off all of the lights and walked up the stairs, he knew Blair was up there waiting for him.

“He kicked her out of their apartment?” Blair asked.

“I’m really, really glad that you helped me make the right decision. I was right on the edge of taking the best offer for more money for the boys’ college fund. But I made Denise’s night and it also made her cry. I don’t think she’s had anyone being nice to her in ages. So we’re going to try and help out in any way we can. If her boys need something, we might just know of a place that has it for half price or something. We can buy them things and charge her half for it. She’s a proud woman, we don’t want to insult her,” Jim explained.

“Come here. Have I mentioned lately how much I love you?” Blair asked pulling Jim into the bed and snuggling with him.

“As a matter of fact, you could show me how much,” Jim teased.

“I could do that,” Blair said as he went in for the first kiss.

That was only the beginning. Blair was always good at show and tell.

The end

Family Life Part 24
Family Night
By Patt

Another idea given to me by Helena. Thank you. And thank you to Pam for buying these stories at the Moonridge Auction.

Word Count: 2,768

Drew and Max were waiting for Jim and Blair to get home. They had a favor to ask and hoped that Jim and Blair would go for it.

As soon as the men walked in the front door, they knew something was up. Both of the boys were smiling and standing by the front door.

“Okay, what happened?” Blair asked in a teasing tone.

“Give it to us straight,” Jim joked too.

“We have something to suggest and to offer an idea and we’re hoping that you’ll consider it in the next few days,” Max said seriously.

Now this got Jim and Blair’s attention. “What? Just tell us, Max,” Jim ordered.

“Drew came up with the wonderful idea today and we went shopping with Sam and Seth’s mom and bought something for the idea. Are you ready?” Max asked.

“We’re more then ready. What do you mean you left? You didn’t even tell us you were going anywhere,” Blair pointed out.

“Well, it was sort of a surprise, if we told you about it; it wouldn’t have been a surprise, would it?” Max asked.

“Max, the rule is, we have to know where you boys are all the time, even if it’s somewhere where you don’t want us to know. We have to. So from this day on, you remember that, okay?” Jim asked sternly.

Drew looked upset for a second and said, “Are you both mad at us?”

Blair said, “Let’s start over again. What is the surprise?”

Drew smiled at Blair because he could tell he wasn’t really too mad at them. Just a little bit. “We went shopping for a once a month family night. We wanted to ask you if you’d ask grampa and Uncle Steven to come once a month for game night.”

“What kind of games? I don’t know that my dad plays any,” Jim said.

“We bought Sorry, Monopoly and Clue. They are the three best games on the market. They’re more fun then anything. We’re hoping that we can talk them into once a month game night,” Max said.

“Actually, I think it sounds super fun. I would love playing any of those games. We could set aside one night a month and play one game of all three of them,” Blair suggested.

“Oh that would be perfect,” Drew agreed.

“Well, first we have to see if Uncle Steven can do it and I don’t know about my dad. He never played a game with me and Steven once,” Jim divulged.

“It’s all the more reason for him to try it now. He likes hanging out with you and Uncle Steven now. So he can make up for lost time. Will you at least think about it?” Max inquired.

Jim smiled at his foster sons and said, “I’ll call them both tonight and see if we can’t set up a date. But the four of us can do it, if they can’t. We don’t need them to play games. I wouldn’t mind a game of Sorry tonight, if you feel up to losing.”

Max laughed out right and said, “You’re on. We have to do homework first and then games.”

Blair smiled at all of them and said, “Sounds good to us. Now you boys go do your homework while we make dinner.”

“Yes, sir,” Max said happily as they both walked up the stairs to start in on their work.

!!!!!!!!!!

After dinner was done and the kitchen was all cleaned up, they sat down at the table and Max said, “Jim gets to choose the game tonight. Okay?”

“In that case, I say we choose Clue. We haven’t played that in a long while, Blair. We’ll have fun beating the pants off the younger crowd,” Jim answered.

[[[cluegame.jpg]]]

“That works for me. I’m all for showing the young whipper snappers who are the boss,” Blair teased.

“Oh man, you guys are on. We’re good at this game, you wait and see,” Drew promised and then laughed evilly.

“Oh-oh. Maybe we shouldn’t have chosen Clue,” Jim suggested as he laughed too.

Drew and Max got the game out and set it up at the table. Jim and Blair just looked on happily as they did their thing. They were so thrilled to spend time with the adults and Jim knew that it would soon end, so they had best eat up that attention now. He looked over at Blair and smiled, making Blair blow him an air kiss.

“Are you flirting with each other before the game? That’s not allowed. That’s like cheating,” Max said jokingly.

“Well, at least we still flirt with each other, right?” Jim asked.

Drew looked all serious and said, “Yeah, just look what happened with Seth and Sam’s mom and dad. He just up and left them one day. A lot like ours did. We’re thrilled that you guys like each other and still stay together.”

“Do the boys see their dad often?” Blair asked.

“No, they don’t fit into his new lifestyle. He’s got a girlfriend that is only 19 years old. Do you believe it? Their mom is so darn nice too. I can’t believe he just left her for that other woman,” Max said sadly.

“Sometimes things just don’t work out. So you have to understand that. He’ll come around one of these days when he misses his sons and wants to see them again. Don’t you worry, he can’t live forever without them,” Blair assured them.

“Well, that’s just it though; they won’t have anything to do with him. Their dad did ask them out for dinner one night, but they made up excuses. They don’t like him any more,” Drew said.

“They might not like him, but they’ll always love their dad. They’ll come around as time goes by,” Jim advised.

“If you left Blair, I wouldn’t be happy with you,” Max confessed.

“Well, it’s not going to happen, so let’s not worry about it now,” Jim said quickly.

“It’s only logical to blame one person, but in reality, it takes two to make a mess of a situation. It’s none of the boys’ business when you come right down to it. It’s between their parents and them alone,” Blair said.

“Okay, enough of sad and depressing talk. Who wants to get their butts whooped by me and Max?” Drew asked.

“Pick me,” Blair called out with his hand in the air.

Both of the boys laughed and they started to play the game. It had been a long while since Blair and Jim had played it, so the young ones had to keep reminding them of the rules.

As the night wore on, Jim was sure he was going to win the game, but he was wrong. Drew won and Max was irritated with him. So was Blair. Jim just laughed his butt off at how mad they were getting over a game.

They all helped clean up the game and put it in the hall closet. Jim saw the other games up there and remembered he hadn’t called his dad yet. “I’m going to go into the office and call grampa and Uncle Steven and ask them to come once this month for game night. It was fun. They’ll have fun too.”

“Speak for yourself,” Blair grumbled.

“Yeah, what he said,” Max agreed with Blair.

Jim laughed as he walked into the office. He picked up the phone and dialed his dad’s number seeing that it was only 9:00, so he thought he was safe.

“Ellison,” William said.

“Hi dad, I called to ask a favor,” Jim started.

“Sure, Jimmy, what’s going on?”

“The boys bought some board games in hopes that we could have a once a month game night for the six of us. They wanted you and Uncle Steven to come too. We played tonight and got the pants beat off us.”

“What night?” William asked.

“Whatever night is good for you and Steven, we’ll work around it,” Jim said.

“Why don’t you pick out the third Saturday of every month and we’ll go with that?” William suggested.

“Okay, the third Saturday it is. I hope Steven can make it too,” Jim said.

“What games are we going to play?” William wondered.

“Monopoly, Clue and Sorry,” Jim answered.

“I like all three of those. I play them at the senior center. Maybe the boys would like to go one weekend with me and play with the old folks. They would love the young blood,” William teased.

“You can call and ask them dad. They love to spend time with you, so I’m sure they would. I’ve written it on the calendar for the next three months, so you’re stuck coming over,” Jim joked.

“Jimmy, you’re a good parent to those boys. So is Blair. I like how much time you spend with them. They’re never going to feel neglected, no matter what,” William stated.

“We try, dad, but it’s not always easy. Well, we’ll see you in two weeks on that Saturday, if not sooner. Chances are, the boys will want to go have breakfast with you in between,” Jim said.

“I love spending time with them, so anytime is good for me,” William said happily. “Thanks for calling, Jimmy.”

“Bye dad,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

Jim then dialed Steven’s number and Steven answered half asleep, “Hullo?”

“Did I wake you up, Steven?”

“No, Jim, you woke me down,” Steven shot back, even being half asleep, he was still a pistol.

“I called to ask you if the third Saturday of each month is good for a Family Game Night. The boys bought new games in hopes that you and Dad will come over and play once a month with us,” Jim said quickly.

“Let me get my computer and put it in my calendar,” Steven said as he left the phone for some time and Jim wondered if he was ever coming back.

“Okay, I got the third Saturday of every month for the next six months all put in my computer. I’ll be there and if I can’t make it, I’ll be sure to call. Tell the boys it was nice of them to think of me,” Steven said nicely.

“Steven, why are you sleeping so early?” Jim asked.

“I’m not alone, Jim,” Steven teased.

“Oh shit, I’m sorry. Okay well, go back to sleep, have sweet dreams. Talk to you soon,” Jim said before he hung up the phone hastily.

Jim walked out of the office blushing and Blair said, “Oh my, did you catch one of them with a woman?”

“Steven. He said he would love to do it and he took the time to put it in his computer before he told me someone was there. I was embarrassed. I hate interrupting. Especially with sex,” Jim admitted.

“Life goes on, Jim. It’s just your brother. Now if it would have been your dad, that would be a whole different story,” Blair kidded.

Jim looked at him in shock and said, “You think my dad still has sex?”

“Jim, he’s not dead,” Blair replied.

“I’ve never given it much thought and thanks to you, now I will.”

Blair laughed all the way into the kitchen for a glass of milk before bedtime. He took his vitamins with milk every night.

Jim said, “I’ll be right back, I have to tell the boys something.”

Jim walked up the stairs and knocked on their door. “Come on in,” Max called out.

“My dad said he wanted to know if you two were interested in a game night at his senior center once a month, too. He loves the idea of one here, but he goes to the senior center once a month too. They like teens. Would you be interested? You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” Jim impressed upon them.

“That’s a good idea. We’d get to see grampa one more time a month. That would be nice, don’t you think, Drew?” Max asked.

“Yeah, that would be fun. We could see what woman it is that grampa keeps talking about when we go out for lunch on the weekend,” Drew said laughing.

“There’s a woman he’s interested in?” Jim asked.

“He probably doesn’t feel like you want to know, Jim,” Max said.

“I would like to know what he does sometimes. I never even thought to ask him. I’m a bad son,” Jim declared and started for the door.

“You aren’t either. You’re busy with us. We take a lot of work. We know that much. We’ll keep you filled in on grampa, okay?” Max asked.

Jim kissed both of the boys on top of their heads and said, “Thank you. Now I’m going to turn in. I’m really tired tonight.”

“It’s from getting your pants beat off at game night,” Drew said evilly.

Jim hugged him into his chest and said, “I love you, you big dope.”

“What about me?” Max asked.

“Yeah, you’re a dope too, but I love you, too,” Jim teased as he pulled Max in for a huge hug.

Jim was wild about these boys and was so grateful that he and Blair had been given the chance to raise such fine ones.

He walked down the stairs smiling and Blair said, “My turn to go and tell them good night.”

“Make sure and call them dopes, they like that it seems,” Jim joked as he went into the bathroom to get ready for bed.

Blair went upstairs and said, “Looks like your family night is a hit. I wanted to tell you thank you for the game tonight and for being so good about hanging with us old people.”

“You’re not old, Blair. Jim is, but you’re not.” Drew laughed and laughed and laughed.

Jim called up from the bathroom, “I heard that.”

“We know you heard that,” Blair answered.

Blair went and hugged both of the boys and told them goodnight. He said, “Jim said something about calling you dopes, what was that about?”

“He does that when he doesn’t want things to get too mushy. You never have to call us dopes,” Max stated.

“Nah, I never need to stoop to that, you goofballs. Now goodnight to both of you,” Blair said as he walked out of the room.

Jim was waiting when he got downstairs and he said, “I told you they like it.”

“You were right. I’ll be up in a little while. I have to get ready for bed. Stay awake if you can,” Blair instructed.

“I’ll try,” Jim answered, wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

“I was thinking about talking,” Blair said smiling.

“Oh. Well, I can stay awake for that too,” Jim said.

He walked up the stairs to their room and slid into bed. It felt so comfortable with nice clean sheets on the bed. He and Blair always kept the bedroom in top notch shape, so that Jim was always comfortable. He snuggled into his side of the bed, pulled up his covers and that was all she wrote.

Blair got done brushing his teeth, washing his face and peeing and walked upstairs to talk to Jim. What he found was so cute. He wished he had the camera with him. The covers were pulled up to Jim’s head and he was sound asleep already.

Blair crawled into his side of the bed and snuggled into Jim’s body. Jim didn’t even move a muscle. Blair knew he must be tired. But Blair knew that the boys took more out of Jim then he said most of the time. He worried too much about them. Blair did too, but Jim worried all the time. Now if he was awake, he could relax him a little bit. Okay, he could relax him a lot. He started stroking Jim’s cock through his boxers and Jim mumbled something that Blair couldn’t hear. He continued doing it until Jim turned around and said, “I thought you wanted to talk to me.”

“This is the way I’m talking tonight,” Blair said as he made sweet love to his man and Jim didn’t bitch one bit about it.

Jim lay in Blair’s arms half asleep afterwards and heard Max say, “I’m glad they still love each other.”

“So am I, bro, so am I.”

Jim smiled and went right to sleep.

The end

Family Life Part 25
Loving Jim
By Patt

The next one will probably deal with friends at the work place. But for now, this is how I see Rafe acting. My God, it’s a soap opera. LOL

Word Count: 2,389

Blair was in the break room getting a cup of coffee when Rafe walked in. “Good morning, Rafe,” he called out.

Rafe walked over to him and whispered, “How much do you love Jim?”

“What? Why are you asking that?” Blair wondered.

“He’s been taking shit for the last month because of you. Do you love him enough to walk away from this relationship?” Rafe asked.

“What are you talking about? We have a family, Rafe. You know that,” Blair commented as calmly as he could.

“Jim could raise those boys alone and they would be much happier, I’m sure. I’m sure they take flack about you two, also. But I just want to know how much you love Jim,” Rafe said again.

“I love him too much to walk away without saying anything, Rafe. I can’t believe you’re even suggesting it, knowing how Jim feels about me.”

“Jim went down to records, so don’t expect him to come and save your ass. I found out you don’t love him at all. If you did, you would break up this relationship once and for all. Jim could go back to being just one of the guys instead of one of the guys that gets his ass ripped every time he leaves the bullpen. You’re such a chicken shit, Sandburg,” Rafe said as he walked out of the room.

Blair just stood there, shocked. Was Jim getting verbally attacked every day when he left the bullpen? Was this true? Did Rafe hate them being together?

Blair knew he loved Jim enough to give him up if he had to, but he honestly couldn’t think up a reason that he could give Jim for breaking up. And he would need a damn good one. He didn’t want to leave Jim anyhow, he loved him so much, it hurt sometimes. This was one of the times.

Conner walked in and said, “Sandy, why do you look so down in the dumps?”

“Conner, have you heard anything going around the station about Jim being verbally attacked daily?” Blair asked point blank.

“As a matter of fact, I have heard something, but Jim can take care of things himself, so stop worrying anyhow. Who told you?” Conner asked.

“Rafe just told me and he’s not happy about Jim and me being together. I had no idea he felt that way,” Blair said sadly.

“Just ignore the nong. He’s not a cobber of yours or he wouldn’t have even mentioned it. You know you can trust me, right Sandy?”

“Yes, I know I can. But if Jim is getting upset daily, I need to know what to do about it,” Blair explained.

“What do you plan on doing about it, mate?”

“If I loved him enough, I would suggest we call it quits for awhile. At least until things calmed the fuck down,” Blair said sadly.

“That’s the most onkus idea I’ve ever heard of in my life. Settle down and ignore Rafe. He’s the village idiot, Sandy and you know it. We need to go to a water hole and have some drinks,” Megan assured Blair.

“Well, onkus or not, I have to do some thinking,” Blair stated.

“As long as you’re not going to listen to Rafe. He’s just jealous of you and Jim’s relationship. I’ve always thought he had a thing for Jim. So it makes sense that he would try and break you up. It’s not going to happen,” Megan said flatly.

“I’ve got to get back to my desk so Jim doesn’t know anything is up,” Blair said walking out of the break room.

Jim walked into the bullpen looking somewhat pissed off and Blair asked, “Problems?”

“Nothing I can’t handle. Don’t worry about it,” Jim said.

Blair knew he had been accosted by someone and that pissed him off big time. Why couldn’t people just mind their own fucking business? He tried a smile for Jim but it didn’t work.

Jim thought Blair was upset because of his attitude, so Jim smiled and said, “Everything is going to be fine.”

“How long has this been going on?” Blair asked.

“What?” Jim inquired, foolishly.

“You’re taking shit from someone and you’re not telling me about it. Everything isn’t fine. Everything fucking sucks at this moment. I think we should take a break,” Blair almost whispered.

“What are you talking about? Nothing is going on and we don’t need any fucking breaks. Do you understand?” Jim growled.

“Growl all you want, but I think we need a slight break. I’ve got a lot of thinking to do,” Blair got up from his desk and walked out of the bullpen.

Conner walked over and said, “Did Sandy just ask you to call it quits?”

“What’s going on? What in the hell did I miss, while in records?” Jim asked looking totally confused.

“Someone has been an ear basher and Sandy got the shit end of the stick,” Conner explained.

“What in the hell does that even mean?” Jim asked even more confused now.

“Someone who talks too much,” Conner said.

“Who’s been talking to Sandburg?” Jim asked outright.

“Rafe, the drongo.”

“Talk English, will you?” Jim asked as nicely as he could in his present state of mind.

“Rafe is a stupid person, it’s as simple as that,” Conner replied.

“He told Blair about me being hassled didn’t he?”

“Yes, he did. And Blair thinks if he really loved you, he would stand aside,” Conner explained.

“Oh really? Where is Rafe?” Jim asked looking around the bullpen and not finding him.

“I don’t know. Probably off hiding somewhere. He’s a weasel.”

“He’s going to be a dead weasel if he doesn’t stay out of our business,” Jim said to no one in particular.

Jim saw Rafe walk into the bullpen and got up and met him before he sat down. “I need to talk to you.”

Jim headed for the first interrogation room. Jim was so pissed off, he could have spit, if they were outside.

Rafe walked in and said, “What? I’ve got things to do.”

“Stay away from Sandburg. He’s not going to break up with me and that’s final. So you can forget about your little plan,” Jim said angrily.

“It wasn’t a plan. I just told him you’re being hassled and there was only one way to fix it,” Rafe said just as angrily.

“It’s none of your business. So drop it. Don’t bring it up to him again,” Jim said as he started out of the room.

Rafe stopped him and said, “Aren’t you tired of being hassled?”

“As a matter of fact, I am tired of it. But I would never break up with Blair because of it. I would quit this job first,” Jim spat back.

“Whatever…” Rafe walked out of the room and Jim never took his eyes off of him the entire way.

Conner stopped him and said, “I need to tell you something.”

“What?” Jim asked.

“Rafe has a thing for you. Everyone knows, so it would make sense that he tries to break you up. He’s such an ass, Jimbo.”

“Why would I break up with Blair and then go to him? That makes no sense at all,” Jim questioned.

“He never makes sense. He’s warm for your form,” Conner said.

“Stupid fucker,” Jim said as he sat down at his desk and started working on something.

“You can say that again,” Conner responded.

“Stupid fucker,” Jim joked.

“Take Sandy to lunch and tell him whose boss,” Conner instructed.

“I will. Thanks for your support, Conner,” Jim answered.

Blair walked in and sat down at his desk, but didn’t say a word. Jim leaned into him and whispered, “We’re going to lunch in a few minutes. We’ll talk then.”

“Good, because I have some things to say,” Blair said.

“I’ll listen and then you’ll listen. It’ll be a good lunch,” Jim assured him.

“I’m ready whenever you are,” Blair said.

Jim went and told Simon they were leaving for lunch they walked down the stairs to the garage and got into Jim’s SUV.

The ride over to the restaurant was quick and without incident. Jim couldn’t wait to talk to Blair.

They arrived and sat in a booth for privacy. Jim figured they needed it for when he yelled at Blair.

As soon as they sat down, Blair said, “Can I start?”

“Yes, you can start,” Jim replied.

“I was asked to give you up today, if I really loved you. Well, I must not love you enough because I’m not giving you up. I love being with you, loving you and having a family with you. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. So I’m not giving you up. Everyone will have to get used to us being together and shut their fucking mouths,” Blair ranted.

“Wow, I don’t have to yell at you. That’s good, because I didn’t want to yell. I love you too, babe and I don’t want us to give up anything that we have. We shouldn’t have to,” Jim agreed.

“Rafe can go fuck himself for all I care,” Blair ranted some more.

“We’re just going to ignore him from this time on. He’s not invited to our home for poker anymore,” Jim said.

“I don’t care if he comes to our home or not. I’m ignoring him and that’s all I’m doing. I’m not going to exclude him from things, because that will just make him angry and he’ll start trouble. We don’t need any trouble, babe. We’ve got enough of that as it is. Now do you want to tell me about who is giving you grief?” Blair asked.

“It’s just some of the traffic cops, if you can believe it. They razz me when I go down to records and say stupid shit. It’s not a big deal. It just pisses me off,” Jim explained.

“Do you say anything back to them?” Blair asked.

“Nope. I just ignore them totally,” Jim replied.

“Report them to Simon. He needs to be aware of the situation. Do that today, okay?”

“Yes, sir, I’ll do that today,” Jim teased.

“I’m not kidding, Jim. I want them reported. They shouldn’t be able to get away with that shit. They’re feeling good about things because you’re not saying anything. It’s just what they wanted.”

“I get it, Chief. Don’t worry, I’ll write up a report in Simon’s office as soon as we get back.”

“Good, now let’s eat lunch and have a relaxing one at that,” Blair said smiling once again.

“I love you, Blair.”

“I know you do. I love you, too.”

!!!!!!!!!!

When they got back to the station, Jim went right into Simon’s office and filled out the paperwork. Blair could see Simon yelling at Jim and hoped he was yelling because he didn’t say anything before then. He sure hoped it wasn’t for turning those guys in. Blair would be very disappointed in Simon if he did that.

Jim came out after about an hour and looked irritated. He sat down at his desk and smiled at Blair. “It’s okay Chief. Simon was a good guy about it. Stop worrying.”

“Good, I was hoping Simon would be supportive,” Blair said softly.

“He was and he was pissed that I let it go on for so long. He’s going to bring it up to their superior tomorrow, first thing. So maybe the razzing will stop for a few days at least.”

Jim watched Rafe walk by and just glared at him. “He’s not coming to our poker parties anymore. It’s as simple as that.”

“Whatever you feel comfortable doing, is what’s right. Now get some paper work done,” Blair bossed.

“I feel better, Chief.”

“Good, I’m glad. Now get busy on that work,” Blair said smiling.

Rafe walked by and said, “I see who the boss in this household is.”

“Shut up, Rafe, no one asked for your opinion. And by the way, you’re not invited to poker on Saturday night. You’re not welcome at our home anymore,” Jim said angrily.

“Did Hairboy tell you to do that?” Rafe asked standing in front of Jim’s desk.

“Nope, I decided on my own. In fact, Blair wanted me to include you hoping we could remain friends. I told him it was too late. Now get the fuck away from my desk,” Jim ordered.

“You’re such a wuss. Everyone thinks so. It’s too bad that everyone is making fun of you behind your back. Even people you think are your friends,” Rafe snarled as he turned and left the room.

“Do you suppose there are others that don’t like us together?” Blair asked.

“I could care less,” Jim replied.

Conner walked up and said, “I just heard what Rafe said and he’s just making that up. We all love the two of you together. So stop worrying about things. Is the game still on for Saturday night?”

Jim smiled and said, “Yes, the game is still on. Thanks for being here for us, Megan.”

“Oh my god, Sandy, he just called me Megan.”

Blair laughed and said, “I’ll see you on Saturday night. Still bringing chips and dip?”

“You betcha. I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” Conner said and walked over to her desk. On the way Rafe walked into the room and she tripped him, making him fall flat on his face.

“Oh sorry, Rafe, I didn’t see you,” Conner said very sarcastically.

“You stupid bitch. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. You’re going to be sorry,” Rafe growled.

Jim smiled at his desk and wondered how Conner thought of this stuff. She was funny, that was for sure.

Blair said, “Want to go home for the day? Then we can just hang with the boys tonight and get ready for the poker game tomorrow night.”

“Sure, let’s get out of here,” Jim agreed.

They both said goodbye to Simon and took off for the day.

Both of them knew that there might be some trouble next week from the traffic cops, but at least they were still together. Life wasn’t always easy, but it was made a little bit nicer when you loved someone. They certainly did love someone.

The end

Family Life Part 26
Friends???
By Patt

Word Count: 3,487

Saturday was coming up and everyone was making plans to go over to Jim and Blair’s house for poker night when Rafe asked Jim, “Do you mind if I come?

Jim just looked at him in shock. Why in the world would he want to come? If he hated them together, what would be his reasoning?

“You know what Rafe I think you’d better pass on this one. Blair is still angry with you about what you said this last week,” Jim explained quietly.

“So because I don’t agree with your living situation, I’m an outcast now?” Rafe asked loudly this time.

“Yeah, I guess you are,” Jim answered and walked away.

Jim went into the break room and Conner came in and said, “You’re just making things worse. Now he’ll have something new to bitch about.”

“Conner, it’s none of your business. So I would appreciate you sticking your nose out of our business,” Jim said angrily, even though he wasn’t really angry at Conner.

“Jimbo, I’m not trying to tell you what to do, but he could make a lot of problems for you and Sandy. I don’t want to see that happen, either.”

“Stop worrying, Conner. Everything will be fine,” Jim said as he left the room.

It amazed Jim at how much notice Rafe was getting and if Jim didn’t know better he would say Rafe liked it. Were they ever friends? I mean, did Rafe ever consider Jim one of his close friends, or was it all a façade? Jim found his heart hurting just a little bit and wondered why it bothered him so much. Rafe wasn’t worth this worry.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair walked into the bullpen and said to Henri, “So are you ready to lose all of your money tomorrow night?

Henri looked uncomfortable and said, “Oh man, I can’t make it, Hairboy. Maybe next time.”

Blair had just talked to him on Monday and he had been coming. Blair sat down and said, “Henri isn’t coming tomorrow night. Do you know anything about that?”

“Why would I know anything about Henri, Blair? I have a hard enough time keeping track of me,” Jim answered angrily. Again, he wasn’t angry at Blair, he wasn’t sure who he was angry at.

“Is anyone coming?” Blair asked Jim?

“I told Rafe not to come,” Jim said simply.

“Oh… That explains a few things. Bill down in records said he’s not coming either. I thought that was odd, but I guess everyone is taking sides. Oh well, life goes on,” Blair said trying to be upbeat about it.

“Conner’s coming,” Jim said.

“Is Simon?” Blair asked hopefully.

“Why don’t you go and ask him,” Jim advised.

“I will. I’ll tell him it’s his turn to bring the dips. How about Joel? Have you talked to Joel?” Blair asked.

“I’ll go and talk to Joel, you go and talk to Simon,” Jim said as he stood up to leave.

Blair knocked on Simon’s door and heard, “What do you want, Sandburg?”

“Is that your new version of come in?” Blair teased.

“No, it is not. What can I do for you?” Simon asked looking busy.

“Are you going to be able to make it tomorrow night for poker?” Blair asked optimistically.

“Or course I’m coming. I’m bringing the dips, remember? I lost the last hand, so I have to bring the dips for the next week. I already made them up last night,” Simon said with a smile.

“Henri isn’t coming, Bill isn’t coming and Rafe isn’t coming. So I was worried that no one would be coming,” Blair said sounding a little sad.

“Well, that’s all the more dip for us, Sandburg. Now is there anything else, or are you going to let me get back to work?” Simon inquired with a smile on his face.

“That’s it. Work away, oh Captain, my Captain,” Blair teased as he walked out the door.

Simon smiled at Blair’s retreating form and then sat down at his desk. He wondered what was going on that three people weren’t coming. He hoped there wasn’t trouble brewing. He sighed and got back to his paperwork.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim knocked on Joel’s door and heard, “Come in.”

Jim opened it and said, “How you doing this morning, Joel?”

“I’m good Jim, how are you?”

“I’m great. I was checking to see if you were coming tomorrow night for poker,” Jim said casually.

“Sure, I’m going to be there,” Joel answered.

“Thank you, I know that there is some trouble going around the station right now and I don’t want you put into the middle of it, Joel.”

“Jim, I don’t like office politics, I hate people who talk behind people’s backs and I won’t be pressured into making my decisions for my life. It’s a simple as that,” Joel explained.

“I take it Rafe is pressuring everyone to not come,” Jim said sighing.

“Yes, he is. He’s pissed off at you because you told him he couldn’t come, Jim. Ignore him. He doesn’t deserve to come.”

“Joel, he wanted Blair to break up with me. That’s why I told him to not come,” Jim said.

“Rafe wanted Blair to break up with you? That’s insane. You have a family,” Joel said angrily.

“He said if Blair really loved me, he would give me up,” Jim added.

“He’s so full of shit. There is a traffic cop named Barnes and he’s talking shit about you and Blair. He’s friends with Rafe. So I’m not surprised that Rafe said that. Barnes and Rafe can go fuck themselves,” Joel said as he patted Jim on the back.

“Thanks, Joel. We’ll see you tomorrow night,” Jim said leaving Joel’s office and heading back to his desk to get some work done. As he walked by Rafe, Rafe said, “Whining to Joel again?”

“Fuck you, Rafe. I was having coffee with a friend. Jealous?” Jim asked as he walked off.

Jim sat down angrily and started to do paperwork and Blair asked, “What did Joel say?”

“Oh he’s coming. Rafe just pissed me off again. God, he knows just how to do it too,” Jim said.

“I’m going to go and talk to him,” Blair said as he stood up.

“Sit down, Chief. You won’t say a word to him. He’s friends with the guy in traffic that is starting all of the rumors and stuff downstairs. I don’t want you near him if you can help it. I have a feeling that Rafe wouldn’t even help us if we needed it.”

“Oh Jim, I can’t believe he would do that. I truly think he’s confused, but he would never hurt us physically, or let us be hurt physically. I just can’t believe Rafe would do that,” Blair hoped.

“He’s hurting us now, what’s the difference?” Jim asked.

Henri walked by and said, “I found out I can make it tomorrow night. Is it too late?”

“No, it’s never too late, Henri. Glad you can make it,” Blair said happily.

Jim smiled at him and knew that Henri must have decided to take a side. It shocked Jim that he chose their side, but was grateful, none the less.

Jim was sitting there working on paperwork when Bill called from Records and Jim answered, “Ellison.”

“Hey Jim, it’s Bill. Is it too late to say I’m coming to the poker game?”

“No, it’s tomorrow night at 6:00. All the food you can eat and get ready to lose your money to money bags Sandburg,” Jim teased.

Blair smiled as Jim was talking. He didn’t know who it was, but it was making Jim happy, that’s all that mattered.

Conner walked up and said, “Sandy, would you like to have lunch with me today?”

“Conner, as much as I would like to, I have lunch every day with Jim.”

“Well, today you can bring him lunch back. I need to talk to someone,” Conner said urgently this time.

“Okay, I’ll bring him back something. Tell Simon we’re leaving and we’ll go now,” Blair suggested.

Jim got off the phone and said, “You’re bringing me back lunch? Is that what I heard?”

“Yes, and you’re not getting Wonderburger, so forget about it,” Blair teased.

“Can’t blame a guy for trying, can you?” Jim asked smiling.

“Who was on the phone, Jim?”

“Bill is coming tomorrow night after all, so it looks like we’ll have a full house,” Jim answered, cheerfully.

“That’s good. Well, I’m leaving with Conner. I’ll bring you back some deli or something, okay?” Blair asked.

“That’s fine, Chief. I need to finish this paperwork before Simon kicks my butt anyway. See you soon. Have a good lunch, you two.” Jim went back to his work and Blair and Conner walked out of the station.

!!!!!!!!!!

Conner drove and took them to a Chinese restaurant that wasn’t too far from the station. It had excellent food and they had take out. Jim was going to be very pleased with that.

They got into the restaurant and got a booth and sat down to order. As soon as they sat down, they ordered and put in an order to go for Jim, the waitress walked away to get their drinks.

“So what’s going on, Conner?” Blair asked.

“Wait until we have our drinks,” Conner answered.

The waitress showed up a couple of minutes later with their iced tea and walked away.

“You have my attention, now what is going on?” Blair wondered.

“Remember that day when Jim got some chemicals on him and he had to take a shower in the locker room?” Conner inquired.

“Sure, that was about a month ago, why?”

“Someone took pictures of him while he was in the shower and they’re selling them in traffic,” Conner said softly.

“You’re joking, right?” Blair asked, in total shock.

“Nope, I went down and ordered one today and this is what I got,” Conner passed the manila envelope over to Blair. “Tell me if that’s Jim or not.”

Blair opened it up and looked at the picture and said, “Fuck. Who is doing this?”

“It is him, isn’t it?” Conner asked.

“Yes, it’s him. This is beyond sick. I can’t believe this shit is going down. I mean, everyone knows what he looks like naked now,” Blair said somewhat shamefully.

“Don’t you dare be embarrassed, you should be proud! He looks really good naked. Think how jealous a lot of the men would be if we gave the picture to all of the women in the station,” Conner teased hoping that would help.

“Conner, we have to report it to Simon. He’s going to be so pissed off. Who did you buy it from, anyhow?” Blair asked.

“Some guy in traffic named Barnes. Do you know him?” Conner asked.

“No, I have no idea who that is. I wonder if that’s the guy that Rafe knows,” Blair guessed.

“That would make sense. Okay, we’re going to eat lunch, and then we’re going to head back to the station and we’ll have to tell Jim. There must be a camera in the locker room. Maybe we should have the locker room checked out before we tell Simon,” Conner suggested.

“No, let Simon be in charge. That’s his call. It’s his job. I’m sure he’ll get it taken care of quickly,” Blair said sadly.

They ate their lunch while talking about what Simon might do and before long Jim’s lunch was brought out to them. Conner paid the bill and they left for the station.

“Conner, I’m going to let you take care of this, because otherwise Jim will know about it right away. I’d rather have him not know at all,” Blair said.

“Sandy, you can’t protect Jim from this. He’s got to know,” Conner advised.

“You’re right of course. I just dread telling him. He’s such a private man, this is going to kill him,” Blair said sadly.

“I’m looking at it in a different light. He looks really good naked. So now the other guys know what they’re up against,” Conner snickered.

Blair tried to smile, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim was still finishing up his paperwork when he heard Blair get into the elevator. Jim could tell he was upset. Now what?

Blair came walking through carrying the manila envelope and said, “With me.”

Jim got up and followed him to Simon’s office door. Blair knocked and Simon opened it up and said, “Why do I get the feeling this is something I won’t like?”

“It is something you won’t like,” Blair stated and walked in and sat down.

Simon said, “Come on in, Jim, it looks like he’s staying awhile.”

Jim went in and said, “What’s in the envelope, Chief?”

Blair handed it to Jim and watched as Jim opened it in front of Simon and himself. Both men saw Jim blush and Jim said, “Where in the hell did you get this?”

“Barnes in Traffic is selling them. Conner bought that this morning. I thought Simon would like to see what’s going on in his station house,” Blair said very angrily.

Simon looked at the photo and said, “Jim is this from the locker room, here?”

Jim looked at the floor as he answered, shamefully, “Yes, I had to take a shower a while back and they must have a camera down there.”

Conner knocked on the door and said, “I have an idea, anyone up for hearing it?”

Simon said, “Come on in, I’m up for anything that would help with this.”

“I’m going to go downstairs and take a shower and we’re going to send Henri to buy my photos tomorrow. Hell, they might have them ready today,” Conner suggested.

Jim looked alarmed and said, “Conner, then they’ll see you naked.”

“Jim, I take really good care of this body, I don’t care who sees it. And if we can get rid of some of the riff raff in this station, I’m willing to do my part. Simon, are we on?” Conner asked.

“We need someone that isn’t from Major Crimes buying it. Dan Wolfe would be a good candidate. No one would think anything of him buying one,” Simon said evilly.

Jim just looked at all of them like they were nuts. “Sir, I hate to point this out, but why would we have to put Conner through that? Let’s go get the camera, take prints off of it and arrest Barnes for selling the photos.”

Simon looked like he hadn’t thought about that at all and said, “That will be better. Conner you can strip next time.” Simon knew she was disappointed and he tried not to laugh, but failed.

Jim stood up and said, “I’m glad you think it’s so humorous, Simon.” Jim then proceeded to walk out of the room and headed for the elevator.

Simon, Conner and Blair caught up to him and got on to the elevator. They all rode down to the locker room and got out and started looking for the camera. Jim listened and heard a video running and found the camera without much trouble at all. He put gloves on put the camera in a bag for prints. Then they all checked for another one, just in case. They looked all over the shower area and the dressing room area. They found another one in the women’s shower.

Blair couldn’t believe that they would soon have this taken care of and maybe Barnes would be fired or arrested or both.

Simon took the cameras down to the evidence room, signed them in and asked to have prints taken off both cameras. Then they all headed upstairs to wait for the results.

!!!!!!!!!!

Simon was sitting in his office when he got the phone call about the prints. He sighed and called Joel to help him. He had told him what was going on and Joel wanted to help with the takedown.

Joel went walking up to Rafe and said, “Brian Rafe, you’re under arrest for selling porn at the station. You’re also under arrest for taking said porn. So you’re not just selling it, you’re filming it without a person’s knowledge. You have the right to remain silent, and I would strongly suggest you use that right.” Joel read him the rest of his rights and then put the handcuffs on him.

Megan Conner and Henri Brown went downstairs and arrested Philip Barnes for the same charges and got his two accomplices with ease. They took all down to booking and everyone was finger printed and put in a holding cell.

Jim didn’t have anything to do with the arrests, because Simon was afraid that would blow the case sky high.

Once the news got around, everyone was super nice to Jim and this pissed him off even more. If it wouldn’t have been for Conner, his pictures would still be floating around the station. And what about all of the pictures that already were around? How embarrassing for the entire station.

Jim walked into Simon’s office and said, “Simon, I’m going to resign.”

“You are not. If I can’t resign, you can’t. It’ll blow over soon enough, Jim. How about a week off to let things calm down around here?” Simon asked.

“You have no idea how embarrassing this is for me. I’m a very private person and now everyone knows what I look like naked,” Jim said looking at the floor.

“Jim, I don’t know if this will help or not, but you look really good naked. Joel and I both hate your guts,” Simon stated.

Jim looked up and smiled. “Yeah?”

“Oh yeah, you look like we wish we did. So be proud of it instead of ashamed. Blair’s probably having one blown up right this moment for the bedroom,” Simon teased.

“Very funny, Simon. You truly believe this will all blow over?”

“Yes, it will all blow over. Now let’s get back to work,” Simon ordered.

“Actually, it’s time for us to take off for the day. So we’ll talk to you tomorrow,” Jim said as he left the room.

Jim and Blair left and Simon found Joel and said, “So what is Rafe saying to his lawyer?”

“He’s saying that he was forced to do it or be labeled gay. He said he was forced to do it by Barnes and they’re talking community service for punishment right now. That’s what they’re going to ask the judge for anyhow,” Joel said.

“Well, I hope the judge is tough on him and gives him a lot of community service to do. It would only be right,” Simon stated.

“Would he be able to stay in this station house?” Joel asked.

“Not if I can help it. I’m going to see what my options are. But right now, let’s worry about Jim and Blair. This is going to be hard on them. Jim tried to resign today,” Simon remarked.

“Well we certainly aren’t going to let that happen, are we?” Joel asked.

“No, we’re not. Tomorrow won’t be soon enough for a poker night. We all need this,” Simon commented.

!!!!!!!!!!

The drive home from the station was pretty quiet with Jim and Blair. Blair finally couldn’t stand it any longer. “Tell me how you feel.”

“I feel like crap. Everyone knows what I look like naked now,” Jim said blushing.

“Jim, we all knew what you looked like before the pictures. This isn’t he first time you took a shower in the locker room. I saw you many times before we started dating, so it’s no big deal. Well, it is a big deal, but only if you let them win,” Blair said.

“I’m just a little embarrassed and hurt right now,” Jim ranted.

“Can you still work with Rafe knowing he helped do this?” Blair asked.

“I don’t care, one way or the other,” Jim answered.

“Yes, you do,” Blair said.

“Yes, it hurt my feelings to learn that a friend of mine helped do this. But I’ve got to get past that. I don’t want him fired. He’s been a good cop for years. He’s still a good cop, he just got sidetracked.”

“Things will be better after poker night, Jim.”

“You’re right. Things will be better, but I wish this wouldn’t have had to happen at all,” Jim said.

“I love you, Jim.”

“Are you thinking of blowing up the picture to poster size for our bedroom?” Jim asked.

Blair blushed and said, “Who told you that?”

“Simon said something to that effect. That makes me feel better,” Jim confessed.

“I could always put it in our walk-in closet,” Blair suggested.

“I could always beat your butt,” Jim said laughing.

“Things will be better each day, Jim.”

“I know, Chief. I love you too.”

The end

Patt

Family Life Part 27
Trouble in Paradise
By Patt

Word Count: 3,894 Angst abounds, but ends well. Don’t worry, okay?

Blair woke up to an empty bed, again. This was the fourth time this week that Jim had been on stakeout. Blair was beginning to believe that Jim was volunteering to be on them. Ever since that thing with Rafe and Barnes, Jim had been different. It had been two weeks since it all came about and Blair was going without. Not that sex is everything, but it sure is nice now and then. Jim always had an excuse ready. He was tired. He didn’t feel like it. He was too busy thinking about other things at work right then. He rarely saw Jim anymore. When Blair worked, Jim slept. Jim saw the boys more then he did him and Blair wasn’t a happy camper about it at all.

Blair went downstairs and took his shower and got dressed for work. He knew that Jim would be coming home exhausted in about an hour. Blair was going to talk to him today. He walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

“Banks,” Simon answered, grumbling.

“Hi Simon, it’s me. Could I be a little late today?” Blair asked pitifully.

“Sure, you’ve been working long hours every day anyway. Stay home today if you want to,” Simon offered.

“Oh wow, thank you, Simon. That would be great,” Blair said before he hung up the phone.

He then started breakfast. He made pancakes, omelets and hash browns for everyone. The house smelled great when Jim walked in.

“Hey Chief, the house smells wonderful. I’m starving,” Jim said happily.

It was the first time Blair had seem him smile in a long while. Blair thought maybe things were looking up.

Drew and Max walked down the stairs and Max said, “Oh man, I love when you make a nice breakfast.”

“You make it sound like I never feed you all,” Blair whined.

“Well, this looks great,” Jim said as he sat down at the table to eat. He seemed like he was in a good mood. Blair was glad of that.

Blair dished up everyone’s plate and then sat down himself and ate some breakfast. “What brought this on?” Jim asked.

“I’m just in an incredible mood today and wanted to share it with all three of you,” Blair admitted.

Drew smiled and said, “You can be in an incredible mood anytime you want if we get to eat like this. This was great. Thank you, Blair.”

“You are most welcome, Drew.”

“What he said,” Max agreed and smiled hoping Blair would know how much it meant to both of them.

“Okay, you guys need to get hopping so you won’t be late for school. Come on, I’ll take you when you’re ready,” Blair said.

They jumped up, cleared the table and put it all in the sink for later and walked up the stairs to get ready for school. Blair went into the kitchen without saying a word to Jim and started doing dishes.

Jim walked in and said, “Leave it. I’ll do it after you take the boys.”

“No, I’ve got plenty of time. Go take a shower and rest,” Blair ordered. Jim smiled at him and had an odd look on his face. Blair knew he was trying to figure out what Blair was up to.

“You’re going to be late for work, if you take the boys. Why don’t you let me take them when they’re ready? Jim wondered.

“No, that’s fine. I told Simon I was going to be late today. Don’t worry about it. I’ve got it covered,” Blair said sweetly, making Jim smile.

Jim walked upstairs, got his sleeping clothes and got into the shower and was out in record time. “I’m bushed, babe. I’ll see you tonight.”

“Sleep well, Jim,” Blair said happily and this bothered Jim even more. He knew that Blair was up to something. He could smell it in the air. Pheromones were all over the place. Why was Blair turned on before he went to work? Jim hoped that he didn’t have to deal with Blair today. Jim was tired. He’d been sitting in a van with Henri Brown and Megan Conner for the last four nights. Jim was about to go nuts. But they needed someone to listen. Well, Simon needed someone to listen. Conner knew about his senses, but Henri didn’t. So he was bored out of his mind and exhausted from sitting on his fat ass. He could feel it getting fatter as each day went by. Jim hadn’t worked out at the gym in a week and he felt like a big old tub of lard.

Jim walked up the stairs and wondered why Blair was being so nice to him. After all, Jim was avoiding him like the plague for a stupid reason, but he had to think and he couldn’t think when he was having sex with Blair. His cock did all of the thinking and Jim needed to figure out what was going to happen with he and Blair from this day forth.

Jim had to tell Blair the news about him leaving for two weeks, but he didn’t think today would be a good day for it. Although, maybe he should tell him now, so it had time to sink in by tonight. Jim walked back down the stairs and said, “Blair, I forgot to tell you something important.”

Drew and Max came down that very moment and said, “Oh man, we’re going to be late.”

“Come on, we’ll get you there in time, don’t you worry,” Blair said smiling. “Jim, I’ll talk to you later on.”

Jim said, “Okay, it’ll keep.”

Blair took the boys to school and drove back to the loft. He was excited about catching Jim off guard and hoped that he could get some information from him while he was at it. Blair let himself into the loft and Jim looked over the railing and said, “Why are you home?”

“Come down and tell me what you had to tell me earlier. You said it was important,” Blair ordered and Jim did as he was told.

Once Jim was downstairs, he sat down on the bar stool and said, “Sit, it might take a few minutes.”

Blair sat down next to him and said, “Shoot.”

“I’m going to be leaving for two weeks as of tomorrow morning. I’m going to Seattle and I’m in a special conference for forensic science. I told Simon it sounded like a good idea and he signed me up for it. It’s a two week course, so I’ll be gone for two weeks. I just wanted to let you know. I just found out about it last night, so I didn’t want to call and wake you up to tell you the news.”

Blair just sat there in shock. “So, you’ll be leaving for Seattle for two weeks, do I understand that correctly?”

“Yes, two weeks. I was going to tell you about it today. It’s a really great class, Blair. I wanted to do it,” Jim said.

“You are so full of fucking bullshit, you have convinced even yourself, haven’t you?” Blair asked.

“What do you mean?” Jim asked.

“Jim, there is no conference in Seattle. I would know about it first. Simon wouldn’t have sent you alone, he would have sent us both. So do you want to tell me what’s going on?” Blair said as he stood up and began to pace.

Jim knew he was in trouble. He never thought about this reaction. He thought about many things, but Blair not believing him wasn’t one of them. “What do you mean there is no conference? There most certainly is. Call and see,” Jim dared him.

“What is going on with us, Jim?”

“I’m leaving for two weeks Blair. I feel like we could use a break anyhow,” Jim answered.

“You’ve been gone from the house for two weeks already. Now another two weeks, are you planning on telling me when you find someone else or what?” Blair asked sadly.

“See, there you go making it into something it’s not. I need some time away. Okay? I have things on my mind and I need to think about them. I don’t want to leave you, but I have to right now,” Jim explained.

“What did I do?” Blair asked.

“You didn’t do anything. Neither of us did anything, but I need time to think. I’m confused right now,” Jim said sounding just as sad as Blair did.

“Okay, first of all, it’s not your fault that Rafe got fired. He brought that on himself. It’s not your fault that he can’t find work anywhere. Again, he brought that all on himself. It’s not your fault that people at work are talking about us from time to time. It happens. Grow a set, Jim. Tell me what’s really wrong,” Blair pleaded with him.

“I’m not sure how I feel about us right now. I’m confused. I don’t know if I want us to be together anymore,” Jim replied.

“Why didn’t you say that? Pack your shit and leave. No one is stopping you,” Blair said angrily.

“See, I knew you would get all defensive about it. I need to think, I don’t need to move. I’m taking two weeks and when I come home I’ll have answers,” Jim said.

“Jim, I have answers now and my answer is I don’t’ want to be with you anymore. So please pack a bag and leave. I’ll tell the boys about us breaking up in a week or two. They won’t even notice you’re gone. You’ve been absent from everything in their life for the last two weeks and left me to handle everything. So go fuck yourself, Jim Ellison. I don’t need you. I sure as hell don’t think the boys need someone who takes off when he can’t handle a situation. So like I said, pack a bag and leave for your two weeks, but then you get your own place. You can see the boys whenever you want to, but I don’t want to talk to you about any of this here or at work from this point on. Good luck.” Blair walked to the door and slammed it shut as he left.

Blair got downstairs to the SUV before his eyes started misting over.

Jim was a chicken shit. Blair couldn’t believe it. He never thought Jim would bow down to the asses at work, but that’s what he was doing. Blair drove to work and tried not to think about anything.

!!!!!!!!!!

Conner saw Sandy come into the bullpen and was shocked. Simon had said he had the day off. She was hoping that Sandy and Jim would work some of their problems out. She could see the strain on Jim. Now she could see it on Sandy’s face too.

“Good morning, Sandy, could I see you in the interrogation room one?” Megan asked sweetly.

“Conner, I don’t have time for this shit. We broke up, it’s done with and life goes on,” Blair said sitting at his desk pulling his papers out to start the day.

“Excuse me? You broke up?” Conner whispered.

“It’s not a secret, Conner. He’s been avoiding me for two weeks. Now he needs two weeks to think about things. I don’t think so. I have two boys to care for. I haven’t got time for this shit.”

Conner didn’t say anything in return. She just turned and walked over to her desk. Blair could see that she was blowing her nose and wiping her eyes. God, he hated women sometimes.

Blair got up and went to her desk and said, “Follow me.”

They walked into interrogation room one and Blair shut the door. “Don’t cry over me and Jim while we’re at work. I don’t ask for much, but I need to stay strong and I can’t if my best mate is crying. So do me a favor and promise you won’t from this moment on.”

“Sandy, what happened? Where did this all go wrong?” Conner wanted to know.

“He’s never been the same since Rafe got fired. He blames himself for Barnes and Rafe. So do a lot of people that work here,” Blair explained.

“That doesn’t mean he has to leave you, or you leave him. It just means you need to work on it,” Conner advised.

“Conner, I have been working on it. He doesn’t want me anymore. I asked him to move out today. Now I have to tell the boys when they get home from school that it will just be me living there,” Blair said sadly.

“God, Sandy, what is wrong with him?”

“I don’t know. If I knew I would fix it. But it can’t be fixed now. It’s too late,” Blair said sounding sadder by the moment.

Blair’s phone went off and it was Jim. Blair sighed and answered it, “What?”

“Don’t you ever fucking tell me what to do again. If I want to leave, I’ll leave. If I want to stay, I’ll stay. You can’t tell me to fucking move. This is our home. Both of us live here,” Jim ranted.

“Jim, only I have been living there for the last two weeks. And tomorrow you’re leaving for two weeks, so that will be four weeks. I’m not putting up with it. I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but get over it and move out.”

“I’m not moving. I’m not doing that to those kids. They’ve never had a real life. We can’t separate and make their life miserable. Don’t you understand that?” Jim asked.

“So you just want us to live in the same house, sleep in the same room as if nothing is wrong?” Blair asked.

“I need to get my head on straight,” Jim said hoping Blair would understand that.

“That’s the problem, Jim. You’re not straight. You’re gay. You’re a fucking fag, get used to it.” Blair closed his cell phone and stormed out of the room.

Conner had never seen Blair so angry in his life or her life. Suddenly she felt sorry for Jim Ellison. Then she smiled.

Blair walked into Simon’s office and shut the door.

“I thought you were taking the day off,” Simon stated.

“I was, but Jim broke up with me and told me he’s leaving for two weeks. I told him to move and get out of our lives. We had words and I think he might be coming down here to have more words and make a fool out of himself,” Blair said quickly.

“Blair, why don’t you seem that upset about this?” Simon asked.

“I realized, he still loves me, the stupid jerk. What is wrong with him, Simon? Has he said anything to you?”

“He mentioned that a few officers at the station are giving him a hard time. I asked him who and he said it didn’t matter. He would take care of things. I thought he meant at home, not here,” Simon remarked. “What’s this shit about two weeks?”

“He said you were sending him to Seattle for a conference. He actually thought I was going to fall for that. He was pissed when I didn’t. What should I do, Simon?” Blair asked honestly.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t have a clue, but when he gets here, maybe you could take him home and fuck his brains out. He’s not using the ones he has right now, so he could afford to lose some,” Simon teased. “Oh shit, here comes Ellison and he looks really pissed off. What the fuck did you say to him?”

“I told him he was a fucking fag,” Blair said smiling.

“Oh God help us,” Simon said as Jim opened the door and walked in and slammed it shut.

“Simon, I would like some time alone with Sandburg, here,” Jim shouted.

“Jim, this is my office, remember?” Simon pointed out.

“Could I please use your office for a few minutes to talk to Blair?” Jim said sounding calmer.

“I’ll stick around to make sure you don’t do anything stupid,” Simon commented slyly.

“Jim, go fuck yourself and then move,” Blair lashed out first thing.

“See, this is how he’s talking to me. How in the fuck do you talk to someone that talks like that to you?” Jim wondered.

“Jim, you’re a fag, right?” Blair asked sounding much calmer himself.

“I hate that word,” Jim said.

“Are you or aren’t you?” Blair asked.

“Yes, I am,” Jim answered.

“Then it must be me that’s the problem. So I’ll move out, you stay at the house and I’ll move,” Blair said sounding upset.

Jim walked closer to Blair and he said, “I don’t want either of us to move.”

“Too bad, Jim. One of us has to leave. I love you, so I’ll do the moving,” Blair said sadly.

“I love you too,” Jim answered softly.

“You have a really odd way of showing it to me,” Blair reminded him.

“I’m confused. These guys down in traffic razz me day and night about how I let you fuck me and what a chicken shit I am now. It was making me crazy in the head hearing this every day,” Jim confessed.

“So you thought the best thing to do was ignoring me and stop loving me?” Blair asked.

“Okay, I didn’t plan it out very well. I was confused. I’m still confused. I’m ready to quit the force. That’s how bad it’s been,” Jim said.

“We’re going to go home and talk about this and we’ll decide what to do from then on. Simon, we might be giving our notice,” Blair said.

“Oh no, no one gets to leave before I retire. That’s a rule I made up a long time ago. It was bad enough when Rafe had to go, now I can’t stand losing two officers that I really like and admire. Go home and discuss this until it works. I’m not accepting resignations from either of you,” Simon commanded as he opened up his door for them to leave.

They walked down the stairs and got to the parking garage without saying a word to each other. Both men knew there was a time and a place for this talk, and work wasn’t it.

Three guys from traffic came up and said, “Well look, it’s Ellison with his fuck buddy.”

Jim just stood there and didn’t say or do anything and Blair said, “Man, kick his ass.”

Jim tore into all three of them in two seconds flat. He kicked, slugged hit, pulled hair, there wasn’t much he wasn’t doing. Blair just leaned against the SUV and watched his man kick ass. Blair was getting hard just watching him do it.

The three guys got up off the floor of the garage and said, “We’re going to report you, Ellison.”

Blair smiled at them and said, “I can’t wait. The gay dude took on three of you guys and won. This will look really good on your record. Go ahead, report it. Right now. As I said before, I can’t wait. Oh, and I took some pictures on my camera, that was in my pocket. So I’m going to post them daily for the next week. This is going to be fun, dudes. You’ve given me a new reason for living.”

The three guys looked from one to another and Martinez said, “Just keep to yourself, Ellison.”

“Like I want to be anywhere near you guys,” Jim answered.

“We’ll let it go this time, but next time, you won’t be so lucky,” Carter said.

“Carter, I’m posting your picture tomorrow, first thing. I think you liked Jim fighting you. Sure looked like it was fun,” Blair teased.

“I hate you Sandburg. Stay away from us,” Carter said.

“Carter, we aren’t going near you. You went near us. Now, stay away from us, or the pictures will find there way onto the break rooms. God, I have a great printer to print these up with. They’ll make them look like we’re all right there. This is going to be fun, boys.” Blair leaned back again and smiled.

Finally the third one named Jones said, “You win. But just watch your backs.”

“Okay, Jones, that was a threat, so you’re picture is going up on the board. Bulletin Boards are a wonderful invention, aren’t they? You’ve got a big mouth and I don’t intend to be bossed around by you. Nope. We’ll take care of it our way. You’re pussy’s. He took on three of you without even sweating. You crack me up. You’re wusses, that’s even worse then pusses. So stay away from us. And just watch the boards. You never know when the spirit will move me,” Blair said happily.

“Come on Chief, there is nothing more to see here,” Jim said smiling at his love and they both got into Jim’s vehicle.

As soon as they shut the doors, they both burst out laughing. “Jim, why didn’t you kick their asses before today?”

“I thought you would be upset with me if I did,” Jim admitted.

“You were trying to please me? Oh you silly man. I got hard watching you kick their asses. You kick ass good.”

Jim started laughing as he tore out of the parking lot and headed home. He had some more things to do at the house.

!!!!!!!!!!

Once they were home, Blair couldn’t wait to get Jim upstairs. They had a lot of things to talk about, but they needed sex even more. Jim needed to mark his territory and Blair wanted him to. They had come very close to losing all of this. Blair put the camera on his dresser with care. He didn’t want anything to happen to those pictures. They were going to be worth a thousand words.

Jim stripped Blair in seconds and had him exactly where he wanted him. Blair of course didn’t put up much of a fight. Jim was showing Blair just who was boss and Blair was getting in to it.

!!!!!!!!!!

Simon watched the kickass show on the video feed. He called Megan, Brown and Joel in to watch it the second time he watched it. They all laughed their asses off.

Simon smiled and said, “Who thought it was funny watching Blair watch leaning against Jim’s SUV?”

They all raised their hands and Simon laughed even more. “I’ve made a copy for each of the Captains for the different departments. I wanted to let them know what was going on. So they’re all watching this same video that we are.”

Brown said, “They’re never going to live this down.”

“I hope not. I don’t want this shit happening in our station. Jim and Blair need to stay put and they will when there are people surrounding them that like them for who they are,” Simon remarked.

“Where are the dynamic duo?” Joel asked.

“God, I only hope they’re at home, in bed. If they’re not, I might have to kick some ass myself,” Simon commented while laughing quite heartedly.

“I’m sure they are doing just fine,” Conner said.

And they were.

The end.

Family Life Part 28
A Better Tomorrow
By Patt

Word Count: 2,619 not including the recipes at the end. (They are another 326 words.)

Blair woke up to an empty bed and didn’t like it one bit. There was a note on his pillow and he opened it with dread. The night before had been very passionate and he was hoping that they would have at least one day of happiness before something changed it.

He read the poem Jim had written and loved it. Blair had bought a book of poems for Jim ages ago and told Jim to write down one for him now and then to let him know he was thinking of him. Blair’s eyes got a little misty. Jim still loved him and he was in heaven about it.
A BETTER TOMORROW
by Yvonne Warren
I never knew there would be a better tomorrow
But you’ve come into my life and taken away all my sorrow
My days of sadness are a thing of the past
Because I have found true love at last
My days of emptiness are gone for good
Because you fill a void in my heart that you should
You’ve opened a window
You’ve shown me the light
And my love for you will continue to burn bright.
Dear Blair,
I had to go to the station. Simon called, so just stay in bed and wait for me to come back home as soon as I can. I already told Simon we needed some time off and he said that was fine. Get the boys off to school and we’ll talk when I get back. I love you,
Jim
!!!!!!!!!!
Blair went downstairs and got into the shower and got himself presentable for the boys.

Max and Drew came walking out of their bathroom and looked like death warmed over.

“Is something wrong, guys?” Blair asked.

“We both were sick this morning, but we’re doing better now. We have tests today and don’t want to miss them,” Max explained.

“If you guys are really sick, you need to stay home,” Blair instructed.

“Really, Blair, we’re fine. We’re just glad that you and Jim worked things out again and you seem to be back to normal,” Drew said happily.

“We were always good, we just forgot for a moment. We’re sorry we worried you,” Blair said.

“We’re going on field trips today, so we need to pack a lunch for it,” Max said.

“You’re going on the same field trip?” Blair asked.

“No, mine is to a museum and Drew’s is to the rec center for drug and alcohol abuse. I think his might be more exciting,” Max teased.

“Don’t you give up on yours yet, Max. I love the museums that we used to go to when I was in school. I’ll pack your lunches,” Blair said opening up the fridge. There were two sack lunches waiting for them with their names on them, written by Jim.

“Looks like Jim beat me to it. He must have been up at the crack of dawn,” Blair assumed.

“I heard him answer the phone at about 4:30 this morning. I actually thought you would both be gone today when we got up,” Drew said.

“So are you and Jim okay?” Max asked carefully.

“We’re better then okay. We’re perfect. Don’t worry so much, boys. Every now and then you have to have a bad day or week. It’s to be expected. Ours was last week. Everything is smelling like roses,” Blair explained.

Max and Drew ate their breakfast, happily when they heard everything was all right.

Once they were ready, Blair took them to school and dropped them off. “See you boys at the house this afternoon. We might be off for the week. If we are, we might do something fun with some of the time off,” Blair said.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair arrived home, and went upstairs and disrobed as quickly as he could. He wanted to sleep a little while longer and be naked when Jim woke him up. You could not blame him for that.

Blair snuggled under the covers and tried to go right back to sleep. He didn’t sleep too much these days and it had caught up with him. Now he was exhausted, plus Jim had him up most of the night, making love to him. Oh the things this Guide had to do for his Sentinel. That was the last thought on his mind as he drifted into a nice dream filled sleep.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim carried groceries into the loft and noticed that it was quiet, so he figured that Blair was catching up on some missed sleep. Jim put all of the groceries away and drank some orange juice. He listened for his loves heart beat and heard it beating very quickly and it scared Jim. Jim rushed up the stairs, not knowing what to expect.

There was Blair lying on top of the covers, whacking off, having a very good time, smiling at Jim while he did it. Jim slipped out of his clothing very quickly and got into bed next to Blair and moved down and took Blair’s hands off his cock. Instead Jim covered Blair’s cock with his warm, inviting mouth. Blair pushed his cock up to meet each bit of suction that Jim was using. He was close to coming already and was disappointed about that. Jim could tell that Blair was disgusted with himself for having no control, so Jim slowed down.

“No babe, I want to come. Let me come,” Blair begged.

Jim moved up Blair’s body and kissed his lips and whispered, “I love you so much.”

“Recite a poem to me, Jim. Make me horny with words,” Blair pleaded.

“A Special World
(by Sheelagh Lennon)
A special world for you and me
A special bond one cannot see
It wraps us up in its cocoon
And holds us fiercely in its womb.

Its fingers spread like fine spun gold
Gently nestling us to the fold
Like silken thread it holds us fast
Bonds like this are meant to last.

And though at times a thread may break
A new one forms in its wake
To bind us closer and keep us strong
In a special world, where we belong.”

“Oh man, I loved that. You were reading the book this morning when the phone rang weren’t you?” Blair asked.

“Yes, I was reading up on some good poems to woo you with. I thought that one worked for what we’ve been through lately. I adore you, Blair.”

Blair kissed Jim, longingly and softly said, “Another one.”

“Just One Wish
(by Courtney Kuchta)
If I could have just one wish,
I would wish to wake up everyday
to the sound of your breath on my neck,
the warmth of your lips on my cheek,
the touch of your fingers on my skin,
and the feel of your heart beating with mine…
Knowing that I could never find that feeling
with anyone other than you.”

Blair flipped Jim on his back and kissed him hard. Then he moved down and began to suck Jim’s cock with earnest.

Jim decided to give two things to Blair, a poem and his love juice. Because Jim was close already. Reciting poetry was hot to Jim. Evidentially it was to Blair too.

“What I Love About You
(by Crystal Jansen)
I love the way you look at me,
Your eyes so bright and blue.
I love the way you kiss me,
Your lips so soft and smooth.

I love the way you make me so happy,
And the ways you show you care.
I love the way you say, “I Love You,”
And the way you’re always there.

I love the way you touch me,
Always sending chills down my spine.
I love that you are with me,
And glad that you are mine.”

Blair began to suck harder and harder and Jim came with a loud growl and mumbled Chief into the air.

Jim got his breathing under control and flipped Blair over onto his back and worked his way down to Blair’s cock and began to lick and suck until Blair was begging for more.

Jim sucked Blair in as deep as he could take him over and over again until Blair came with a howl and petting Jim’s head with love. Jim thought it was one of the sweetest things he had ever done.

Jim crawled back up to the head of the bed and snuggled with Blair. “I love you, Chief.”

“I love you, too. Thank you for the poem’s, they made my day,” Blair replied.

“We can’t keep fucking up things. We have the boys to look after first and foremost. They should always be first, right?” Jim asked.

“Jim, we come first, then the boys. So if we have bad days, they’ll get used to us having bad days. Everyone has them. It doesn’t mean the person has to leave them. We love those boys enough to make them strong. They won’t worry so much as time goes on,” Blair answered.

“You’re never going to believe who called me today,” Jim said casually.

“Who?” Blair asked.

“Rafe, he wanted to come and talk to us tomorrow if we had time to discuss something with him,” Jim answered.

“You’re considering talking to Rafe after all the shit he pulled?” Blair was in shock.

“Chief, I told him we’d give him fifteen minutes. No more. And I would think nothing of throwing him out. He said he wanted to apologize and ask us something,” Jim explained.

“I think you’re setting us up for trouble. He’s probably doing it as a joke for someone,” Blair said honestly.

“That might be true, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and I’m willing to listen to him for fifteen minutes. You taught me to give second chances. If we gave one to each other, why shouldn’t he get one?” Jim inquired.

“Jim, you’re not in love with him, right?” Blair asked.

Jim burst out laughing and said, “You have nothing to worry about. I’m just giving him a second chance. He might surprise us, Blair.”

Jim said, “I’ve got to get out of bed, or I’ll fall asleep again. The boys will think their dad’s are lazy lugs.”

Blair laughed outright and said, “I’ve never heard you say that before.”

“Lazy lugs?” Jim teased.

“Their dad’s. I like that sound, don’t you?” Blair remarked.

“Yeah, I do. They’re too old to start calling us dad or dads or whatever. But it would have been nice having a little once calling us that,” Jim agreed.

“But I really love the boys. I don’t care what they call us. They’re such good boys, that it’s been a dream come true, don’t you agree?”

“Yeah, Blair, I agree.”

“What should we make for dinner tonight?” Blair asked.

“How about meatloaf, Italian meatloaf?” Jim suggested.

“Oh I love your Italian Meatloaf. We’ll have the Italian Twice Baked Potatoes to go with it,” Blair decided.

“And no Italian meal would be right without the Italian Green Beans. So we’ll make that too. I just happened to pick up all of this stuff on the way home today. Wow, will wonders never cease?” Jim teased.

“Clever boy,” Blair joked back, kissing Jim as they got out of bed. Both men got dressed and went downstairs to start dinner preparations. When the boys got home every day, they were starving, so Jim decided they would have it all set so that dinner would be early since they were all home already.

The two men cooked side by side as they made up the three dishes. Blair said, “God, this smells good already and we haven’t even baked it yet.”

“I know, I’m starving now, so how about a fruit salad for a snack before they get here?” Jim asked.

“Want me to make it?” Blair questioned.

“Nope, I got it covered,” Jim said helpfully as he went back to work on his meatloaf and potatoes. Blair finished the beans and they put them all in the oven to start in one hour.

Jim then washed the counter down with antibacterial soap and washed his hands well and got the fruit out of the fridge. Within minutes, he had made up a wonderful fruit salad. He then set the table for two and invited Blair in for a snack.

Blair sat down and began to eat the fresh fruit and loved every bite. He was making the yummy sounds that made Jim smile. “Like that, huh?” He asked Blair.

“I love fresh fruit salad. Is there enough for the boys when they get home? They could start off with this when they get here while dinner is baking. They’re like big bottomless pits. Poor things,” Blair said almost laughing.

Jim leaned into Blair and kissed him. “I love you.”

“You know what, Jim? This has been a perfect day. The poem that you gave me this morning, was called A Better Tomorrow, and this has been, hasn’t it?”

Jim kissed him again and said, “I intend to remind you often of how great our tomorrows should always be.”

“Jim, we’re going to have some not so great ones, because we’re human after all. But I’ll take lot of great ones, thank you.”

They sat and discussed some things from work and before long the boys walked in the front door. Max and Drew both smiled and Max said, “Oh wow, we’re having Italian tonight aren’t we? It smells great in here.”

“Yes, we’re having Italian food tonight. Well, somewhat Italian,” Blair corrected himself.

Drew said, “Can we have some of the fruit salad? It looks yummy.”

“Go wash up and then sit down. You can tell us about your day,” Jim suggested.

Jim loved these family moments so much he couldn’t even put it into words. He smiled at Blair and Blair could tell that Jim was moved by something.

They sat down and began to eat the fruit salad and Max asked, “Who made this?”

Jim said, “I did. Are you going to complain?”

“No, I was going to tell you how much it rocked,” Max said with a laugh.

“It does rock, Jim. And speaking of your names, could we come up with something to call you guys instead of your names? I mean, you’re our parents. Shouldn’t we have a name for each of you?” Drew asked.

Blair said, “What would you like to call us?” He was smiling happily at them asking this wonderful thing.

“Well, Max and I decided that Blair is more of a pop person and Jim is more of a dad person. So how would you feel about us calling you pop and dad?” Drew asked anxiously.

Jim pulled him in for a hug and said, “Drew, I would love that.”

Blair hugged him next. Then they both got up and hugged Max. “You guys are the best sons we could ever hope to have. Thank you,” Jim said quietly.

“Could we have some more of your fruit salad, dad?” Drew asked.

Jim almost wanted to cry. He felt so good about it. “Yes, I’ll get you some more.”

Blair’s eyes were misting over and Max said, “It’s okay, pop, it’s all new. Tomorrow you’ll want us to start calling you something else,” Max teased.

Blair hugged Max again and said, “I never want to be called anything else. This is perfect. Thank you.”

During dinner, the boys told Jim and Blair all about their day and Jim and Blair were as pleased as punch about everything. It did turn out to be a better tomorrow. That was for sure.

The end

ITALIAN MEATLOAF

2-2 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. Italian bread crumbs
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. sweet basil
Salt & pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
2 c. spaghetti sauce
4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

In large bowl mix ground beef and next 6 ingredients. Add beaten egg; mix well. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons spaghetti sauce; mix well. Form into a loaf and place in 13 x 9 inch casserole pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Drain fat from pan and discard.

Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over meat loaf. Continue baking 10 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over meatloaf and bake 5 minutes until melted. Serves 6.

!!!!!!!!!!

TWICE BAKED POTATOES

12 med. potatoes, boiled, skinned and cut in chunks
1 stick butter, melted
1 env. Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 c. milk
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled

In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add butter, dressing mix and milk. Mix until well blended and creamy. If too dry, add more milk. In another bowl, mix cheese and bacon. Spoon potato mixture into large cupcake cups. Top cups with cheese and bacon mixture. Back at 350 until the cheese is all melted and they are warm all the way through. Makes approximately 24 cups.

!!!!!!!!!!

Italian Green Beans

1 bag of frozen cut green beans
1 small onion
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 small can of spaghetti sauce
1 bag of bacon bits

Stir fry the onions and the green beans until the onions are tender. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook together until they smell like you want to eat them now. LOL Ten minutes or so. Pour all of this in a greased baking dish and Add the small can of spaghetti sauce with bacon bits on the very top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it’s bubbly. Serves six.

Family Life Part 29
Mending Fences
By Patt

Word Count: 2,830

Rafe found himself nervous about seeing Jim Ellison and Blair Sandburg. He had treated them like shit and was lucky they would see him at all. He wouldn’t have bothered them, but he really needed some help. He couldn’t find a job for anything. He had no references to speak of, so no one wanted to give him a chance. If Sandburg and Ellison could see their way to forgive him, he might have a chance at a job. Ellison might think about it, but Sandburg was mighty pissed off after the entire thing was said and done with. This might be a lot harder then he thought it would be.

He had a chance at a new job. A new life, but could only get it with a good reference. Hence, kissing ass to Ellison and Sandburg. No one else would give him one. He had asked Simon, Joel, Conner and Brown and they had all turned him down flat. This was his last resort. Rafe just didn’t know what else to do but to beg and ask for forgiveness.

Rafe decided it was time to call the house and ask if he could come by. He dialed their number and a young man answered and he said, “Sandburg-Ellison residence, can I help you?”

“Yes, I was hoping to talk to Jim Ellison. My name is Brian Rafe.”

“Hang on a moment,” Max yelled, “Dad, the phone is for you.”

Jim picked up the extension and said, “Hello?”

“Hi Jim, it’s me, Rafe. I was wondering if it’s still okay for me to come over and see you today.”

“Can you be here in about an hour?” Jim asked nicely.

“I sure can, I can’t thank you enough for seeing me, Jim. Tell Blair thank you too,” Rafe said before he hung up the phone.

Blair was getting ready to take the boys to school and he said, “Was that Rafe?”

“Who is the Sentinel here?” Jim teased.

“You have a confused look on your face and I figured it might have been him calling to mess with your mind,” Blair said.

“Hurry back because he’s going to be here in an hour,” Jim stated.

“Geeze, nothing like cutting it short. Say goodbye to your sons,” Blair ordered.

“Goodbye Drew, goodbye Max. Have a good day, both of you,” Jim hugged them both as he pushed them through the front door.

Max laughed in the hall and said, “He sure is pushy isn’t he?”

“Tell me about it,” Blair joked back.

They took off for the day and Blair didn’t think about Rafe until he was driving back after dropping the boys off at school. What did Rafe really want? He was such a low life, he couldn’t believe that Jim would forgive him, could he? And what did it have to do with him? I mean, Rafe wanted to apologize to Jim was one thing, but what did he have to say to Blair? Nothing that would work.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim was sitting on the sofa when he heard Rafe come up the stairs. He hadn’t used the elevator, so Jim didn’t know what was up with that. Jim stood up and went to open the door. Blair stopped him and said, “No forgiving for anything.”

“Blair, just let me deal with it, all right?” Jim asked and then he opened the door as Rafe was about to knock.

“Man, that’s freaky how you do that,” Rafe said wearing a big smile on his face. Blair wanted to slap it off first thing.

“Come on in and sit in the living room with me and Blair. Tell us why you’re here,” Jim said showing him into the living room as if he’d never been there before.

Rafe felt like such an outsider at that point, with Jim showing him where the living room was. He’d been in Jim’s house many, many times. He knew where the living room was. Rafe was no longer smiling and now Blair was smiling.

Blair looked at the smile drop off of Rafe’s face and was tickled that whatever made it leave, did. Blair didn’t even want this man in his home, but he had to let Jim handle it the way he wanted to.

Rafe sat down and said, “First of all, I have to tell you how sorry I am that I was friends with Barnes and didn’t say anything about the pictures that were floating around the station. I didn’t take them, I never would have done that, but I also didn’t stop them, which I could have easily. But I’ve never been too courageous. I’ve always been a follower, never a leader. And for this, I am truly sorry. I’m sorry that you had to go through the embarrassment of having people seeing your picture. I’m sorry that I caused all of the trouble at work. I’m sorry that I was mean to you, Jim. I really am sorry. But before you say anything, let me tell you something else first. One of the reasons I’m here is to get something from you. I wouldn’t be apologizing if it wasn’t for that. I would have just left things the way they were. So don’t think I’m being gallant or something like that. I’m not. Not even close. I’ve talked to everyone at the station and asked them all the same favor and they all turned me down. Simon did, Conner did, Joel did and Brown did. So I don’t want you to think you were the first person I asked. You weren’t even the second. I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t desperate. I wanted you to know this.”

Jim nodded his head and said, “I’m with you so far. What do you want?”

“I’ve got a chance at a new job, starting a new life and it’s a good job, but I have to have two references and I can’t get one from anyone. No one will have anything to do with me anymore since I left the station. So I’ve come to beg for mercy. It’s a job with Mark Manners, over at Manners Security. It’s a great job and I’m qualified, if I could get the chance to prove myself again. I just need that chance. I was hoping we could mend some fences and maybe come to an agreement about the recommendation. What are your thoughts on it so far?” Rafe asked nervously.

“Rafe, I’m proud of you for telling us the truth about asking everyone else first. I didn’t know you had been asking for help. No one said a word to me about it and I don’t know how I feel about an apology from you. Mending fences are all well and good, but you have to really mean what you’re saying. If we mended fences you would have to be nice to Simon, Joel, Conner and Brown again because we would all see you from time to time. Why else would you mend fences, right?” Jim asked. Blair sat to the side, biting the inside of his cheek to keep from smacking Jim upside the head.

“I would love to be part of your life again, if you could trust me to belong once more. I wasn’t hoping for that much. I was hoping for a recommendation and I figured I would be lucky to get that. I didn’t expect your respect or forgiveness. Like I said, I wasn’t thinking that far ahead,” Rafe answered.

“What did you expect? You thought I would write out a recommendation for someone that fucked me at the station and tried to weasel his way out of it? You thought I would let you back in my life when I just got used to you not being in it?” Jim wondered.

Rafe put his face in his hands and began to cry softly.

Jim and Blair weren’t expecting that reaction at all. Even Blair was speechless. Jim said, “Crying isn’t the answer, Rafe. You can’t win through working on my sympathy strings. You can’t pull on any of my strings to get your way. You have to stand on your own two feet and ask us like a man would.”

Rafe blew his nose on his handkerchief and wiped his face off. He looked over at Blair and he said, “Do you think this was easy coming here? I know you hate me. I hate me. Do you think I really wanted to come? I didn’t. I never would have come except I need a job and I don’t have anywhere else to go. There was only one thing left to do and that was to come here and beg for forgiveness. Would you even consider forgiving me, or is this a lost cause. I don’t want to take up your time, if it’s a lost cause.”

Blair said, “You asked me to give Jim up. You told me I didn’t love him enough by staying with him. How do I forgive you for saying that?”

“I’m an idiot. What else can I say? I really thought if you guys stopped seeing each other, things would calm down, downstairs in traffic and we could all be like we used to be. I really thought my plan would work. Then no one would have to take pictures of Jim. I knew about them before hand. I could have said something but I’m a chicken shit and I admit that. So I’m stupid and I’m a coward. You already knew that about me,” Rafe said sadly.

“I can’t forgive you, Rafe. So you can leave right now,” Blair said.

Rafe started to get up and Jim said, “Sit down. I’m not done talking to you yet.”

Rafe sat back down and waited for the next tongue lashing. He knew he deserved it.

“First of all, I cannot forgive you and we can’t mend fences the way I would like to mend them. So instead we’ll mend them the way you need them to be mended. Making your life a living hell is not what I had hoped for. I’ll give you your recommendation but I never want to see you again. Is this understood?” Jim inquired.

“Why would you do this, Jim? Why would you give me what I want after what I did to you?” Rafe needed to know.

“Because I’m tired. I’m tired of worrying about what you’re doing to make ends meet. I haven’t told Blair that I’ve been worried about you. He would only get pissed off at me. See, look at him, he’s ready to jump down my throat. But I’m tired of worrying about everything. I want someone to walk away from this without being totally damaged. I was hoping it would be me, some day, but I guess it might be you. Maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be,” Jim commented calmly and casually.

“But what about Sandburg? He’s not going to like this at all,” Rafe said.

“No, he’s not going to like it one bit, but I’m going to ask him to write up two letters of recommendation and he would sign one and I’ll sign one. You’re then free to get the job with two letters.”

“Wait a fucking minute. I’m not only going to not type it up, but neither are you,” Blair shouted.

“Blair, this is what I want from this. Mending fences sometimes means inside your own heart. It’s time for some mending from me and from you. This might help,” Jim explained.

“Jim, I don’t want to do this,” Blair said adamantly.

“Blair, I don’t ask you for too much, do I?” Jim asked.

“How can you be such a good man, to someone that was that cruel and inhumane to you?” Blair asked, almost crying himself.

“I have to. It’s time to move on. I can’t close that door until I close out some of the hate and bitterness I was feeling. I feel a little better. We weren’t the only ones who suffered. Rafe did too. Yes, he brought it on himself, but he’s had enough courage to show up today and beg from two men that hate his guts. He knew he would have little chance at getting the letters, but yet, he still came. I think it shows he’s grown as a person to do what he did. Like I said, I’m never going to forgive him for what he did, but I think I can do the letters and so can you. For me, Chief. For me.”

“Do you have the letters that you need signed, or do I have to start from scratch?” Blair grumbled.

“I have the letters already typed up and ready for your signatures. Mr. Manners would have to call you, would that be all right too?” Rafe asked, never quite looking at them.

“Yes, he can call me,” Jim answered.

“I guess he can call me,” Blair agreed.

Rafe pulled out the letters and Jim and Blair both read them. Blair made little noises while he was reading it, but Jim just tapped his leg to let him know that it was a decision made by Jim. It had been made and it was time to move on.

It was basic, just saying they thought that Rafe could do a good job in this position and would they recommend him to anyone else. Jim got his pen out of his pocket and signed and dated his paper. He handed it to Rafe and said, “I’m sorry that you can’t be in our life anymore, Rafe. We’ll miss you and someday you’ll miss us.”

“I already miss all of you. Don’t you think I know how badly I screwed up? Don’t you know how I almost destroyed one of the nicest guys I know? Don’t you think I hate myself for what I did and didn’t do? I do. I have to live with this and I want you to know that, so that might help you mend those personal fences that you were talking about. Even with a job, I’m still not going to have a good life. I have no friends and my family even stopped talking to me. Just know that this is what I live with every day. It might help you get through your days,” Rafe explained.

Blair signed his paper and handed it to Rafe and said, “Could you leave now?”

Rafe picked up the papers and put them in his pocket and said, “Thank you. I know we’ll never speak again, but I’ll think of you both from time to time. I have some fond memories that I like to bring up now and then to remind me of what I’ve lost.”

Rafe turned and walked to the front door and let himself out. Jim leaned back on the sofa and took a deep, cleansing breath. Blair watched him and said, “Sad?”

“Yes, I’m sad. He was once a good friend. Knowing that he’ll never be in our lives again, hurts. But he didn’t deserve it, did he?” Jim asked.

“No, he didn’t, Jim. You made the right decision. We did need to mend some personal fences, but he not being in our life is part of it. He’s got to live with what he did for the rest of his life. I hope he knows just how much he’s missing out on.”

“Blair, his heart was broken. I could tell. You don’t know how much I wanted to forgive him. But I decided that he would never learn if we let him back into the fold. I have to live with that. This makes me very sad,” Jim confessed.

Blair snuggled into Jim’s side and said, “I think you were very strong and very right today. You made a good point to him and I think he took it to heart. He does have to live with this and I’m glad we didn’t let him off the hook completely. Now he’ll have a job, so he can support himself, but he also knows what he lost.”

“I love you, Blair. Thank you for understanding what I had to do,” Jim declared.

“At first I didn’t get it. But as I listened to you, I realized that you were right. I know, I know, you want to get this on tape,” Blair teased.

“Would you like to have a nap with the old man that just wants to be held for an hour or two?” Jim asked.

“I would love to. Follow me,” Blair said getting up and pulling Jim up behind him.

Jim did what came naturally. He followed his Guide upstairs to be held in that same man’s arms to remind him of all of the love that Jim had in his life. Jim needed it at that moment.

Things would work out fine.

The end.

Family Life Part 30
Naomi
By Patt

Word Count: 3,153

Jim and Blair had barely gotten in the door and Max was bouncing in front of them as he said, “Guess who just called?”

“Captain Kangeroo?” Jim teased.

“He’s dead, dad. Didn’t you know that?”

“Mr. Rogers?” Blair said.

“He’s dead too, pop. What’s with these guesses? You’re way off base.” Max asked.

Drew came into the room and said, “Hey Max did you tell them that Naomi called?”

Max glared at Drew and said, “I was trying to get them to guess. You just ruined it.”

“Sorry, I thought you would have told them by now. Naomi called and she said she’s coming for a visit. She wants to talk to pop,” Drew said.

“Really? I wonder what’s up with her. And why wouldn’t she want to talk to both of us?” Blair speculated.

“Blair, she’s your mom, she can just come and discuss things with only you if she wants,” Jim said laughing as he walked into the kitchen to start dinner.

“Naomi is in town already and wants to have dinner out with us,” Max interjected quickly.

“Where?” Blair asked.

“Myung Tong Tofu Restaurant, on 39th street. We’re supposed to meet her at 6:30,” Drew said.

“Blair, please tell me I don’t have to go,” Jim begged.

“We all have to go if she asked us out for dinner,” Blair explained.

“I’m not eating tofu for dinner. And since that’s what it’s called I would guess that’s all they have. Do you boys like tofu?” Jim asked.

“No, we don’t like it at all,” Drew said anxiously awaiting Blair’s response.

Blair picked up his phone and called Naomi.

“Hi Blair, it’s good to hear from you already. But we’re going to meet and have dinner at 6:30, so why the call?” Naomi asked.

“Naomi no one likes tofu, so we’d like to meet somewhere else,” Blair said.

“Have they tried it? I mean, how do they know if they like it or not if they’ve never tried it,” Naomi asked.

“Mom, no one likes it. They all want to stay home and send me alone. Does that tell you how much they don’t like it?” Blair inquired.

“Where would you like to meet for dinner?” Naomi asked nicely, even though her feelings were a little hurt.

“How about Golden Dragon on Kolb and 22nd street? It’s great Chinese food and they also have some tofu items that you could eat,” Blair said.

Naomi sighed and said, “Well I’m going to have to work on those boys, I can see it now.”

“No, you don’t have to work on them. They are allowed to make their own choices for food that goes into their mouths. Give them a little credit. They eat a ton of fruits and vegetables. We shop every two weeks at a produce farm. We pick all of our own fruit. It’s fantastic. So don’t think you have to train them in any way. They’re good boys already,” Blair said angrily.

Jim could tell Blair was getting pissed off and he tried to head off at the pass. He grabbed the phone and said, “So Naomi would you like to meet us at Golden Dragon, or do you want us to pick you up? Where are you anyhow?”

“I’m at a friends house visiting. Yes, Jim, I would appreciate you picking me up. Blair was being very rude, wasn’t he?” Naomi asked.

Jim smiled and said, “You know how he can be. He’s moody, is all. Now give me the address and we’ll run by and pick you up for dinner.”

Naomi gave him the address and Jim wrote it down quickly so Blair could see where she was and then said, “See you in about ten minutes.”

!!!!!!!!!!

When they all got into the SUV to go pick Naomi up, Blair said, “Drew and Max, you don’t have to put up with her shit. I mean it. If she tries to change you in any way, just ignore her.”

“She doesn’t bother us, pop. Stop worrying,” Max assured Blair.

When they pulled up in front of the house that Jim had the address for, Naomi came rushing down to the SUV to hug Blair and then Drew and Max. But she stayed clear of Jim for some reason. Blair hoped that Jim didn’t notice, but he saw the look of hurt run across Jim’s face and knew that it was too late.

“Oh boys, I have some wonderful news for you,” Naomi gushed.

“What?” Drew asked, really wanting to know.

“You’re going to get your passports and go traveling with me this summer. I’m going to take you away from this dismal place for three wonderful months. Isn’t that the best news ever?” Naomi inquired, smiling like a fool.

Blair just stared at her and said, “Oh mom, they don’t belong to us, and you can’t take them anywhere. Besides the fact that I don’t want them to travel anywhere without us.”

“Oh Blair, don’t be silly. Like any judge cares about that,” Naomi continued to rattle on.

“I’d rather go camping with dad and pop,” Max said trying to help.

“Oh honey, I’m going to take you places that will make camping seem like nothing. It’s going to be great,” Naomi said once again.

Blair turned in his seat and looked at his mom as if she was nuts. “Mom, we will be taking them camping this summer and that’s all. We might even plan a trip to California. But they are to be with us at all times. They are foster children, not pets. You have to check everything out with the judge.”

“Why do they call you pop and dad then? Which one of you gets the wonderful name, pop?” Naomi asked rudely.

“Mom, why can’t you think before you speak? The boys thought up the names and we like them don’t we Jim?”

“Yes, we do, Naomi. So keep your thoughts to yourself from now on,” Jim said totally pissed off.

They parked in the parking lot and Naomi said, “Jim, I hope you don’t mind having your mother-in-law close because I’m going to buy one of the condo’s in you and Blair’s building. I want to be able to visit my grandchildren whenever I can. But if you are just foster parents, I might have to think about this.”

Jim was fuming by this time and Blair was going nuts, quite quickly and easily.

“First of all, mom, we don’t want you in the same building as us. We wouldn’t want Jim’s dad in the same building either. We plan on being foster parents to Max and drew through college years, so they will be like our own children. As you must know, we can’t have any of our own, so Drew and Max agreed to be so kind as to belong to us. They are our children. They might be foster children, but they are still ours. Do you want to have dinner or not?” Blair said angrily.

“Of course we’re going to have dinner, you silly goose. We drove all the way over here, it’s not like we would leave hungry,” Naomi said.

Jim got out of the SUV and was ready to strangle Naomi. But he kept his distance and his temper at bay. Max jumped on Jim’s back and said, “Give me a horsey ride, dad.”

They all started laughing because Max was almost as big as Jim, well, almost.

Naomi frowned and said, “So you get the pop name?”

Blair leaned in to Naomi and whispered, “Do not say another word about what they call us. Understood?”

Naomi looked at her son and realized he was very angry. She had never seen Blair that angry before. This upset her a great deal. He was normally a calm and pleasant person to have around.

They went in and got seated right away. Max sat next to Jim and Drew sat next to Blair and Naomi. From afar it looked like a nice cozy family get-together. How wrong they would be.

“So if the boys are just foster children, anyone could take them at any time?” Naomi asked.

Both of the boys scooted over closer to Jim and Blair and seemed very upset with this question.

“If there mother did well and showed great responsibility, she could get custody of them again, yes,” Jim answered truthfully. “But she’s in prison for the next four years, so I think we’re safe on that.”

“What about their dad? What about their grandparents?” Naomi asked.

“Mom, it’s none of your business. This is our life, not yours. So please butt the hell out of our business.”

The waiter took their order and Jim asked the boys if they wanted theirs to go. They both said yes. So they all ordered to go and said they would eat at the house when they got home.

Max said, “Jim, if you wanted to adopt us, how hard would that be?”

“Max, it would be really hard because you have parents. I’m sure they wouldn’t want to give you up,” Jim answered.

Drew then asked, “Blair, could you look into it? I would hate to think that one of my parents could get out and take us away from you guys. We love it at the loft. We don’t ever want to leave.”

“I’ll look into it, Drew, but don’t get your hopes up, okay? It’s harder then you think,” Blair replied.

The food was brought out in bags and they all left and piled into the SUV once again.

“Why did we all go to the restaurant and then not eat there?” Naomi asked.

“Well, if you were more astute, you would have noticed the boys were upset. You upset them with your talk. We decided that it might be better to eat where we’re most comfortable,” Blair said.

“Don’t you dare talk to me like that Blair. You know better then that,” Naomi shouted.

Jim said, “Stop it right now. All of you. Just shut up. Boys, this is not how a family is supposed to act.”

Naomi shut her mouth quite fast and so did Blair. He had the decency to blush. He knew he shouldn’t have talked to his mother like that, but she irritated him to no end.

When they got to the loft, Max and Drew rushed out of the SUV and headed upstairs as fast as they could.

Jim turned to Blair and said, “Tell your mother you’re sorry for saying that to her.”

“Sorry, mom.”

“Well, that’s not quite good enough, Blair. You’ve never talked to me like that before, what’s going on?”

“Naomi, close your mouth too. If you can’t say something positive, then don’t talk. These boys have enough shit in their lives; they don’t need to hear yours. And don’t remind them that they aren’t ours. They know this. Do you think they’re stupid? Blair and I are thrilled to have them in our life, so please accept them and let’s move on,” Jim said as calmly as he could.

“Why did you tell Blair to apologize and then you tell me off?” Naomi asked.

“I’m going upstairs, you two talk it out. Just don’t bring it upstairs with you,” Jim ordered as he turned and walked away with the food in his hands.

!!!!!!!!!!

When Jim walked in upstairs, Max was pacing and said, “Dad, would you talk to our real mom and dad about giving us up? Could you tell them how well we’re doing and that we want to be adopted?”

Jim hugged him hard and just held on for a long while. Then Drew came over for his hug. Jim pulled him in with them. “I’ll talk to them, but I doubt that they’ll agree to it. Parents sometimes don’t do what’s best for the children.”

“Thank you for at least trying, dad. We’re really grateful for our home. We like it here a lot,” Drew said sweetly.

“Let’s set the table, pop will be here in a few minutes with his mom and he’s starving. I heard his stomach growl while we were downstairs.” Max and Drew laughed and said, “Did you hear ours too?”

The three of them began to work getting everything set on the table.

!!!!!!!!!!

“Mom, come on. Let’s go upstairs and have some food and try to get along. I haven’t seen you in four months. I’ve missed you. Let’s try and do this without arguing.”

“Honey, I think I should stay in a hotel tonight. I don’t like Jim’s attitude at all,” Naomi stated.

“You’re going to make me go upstairs without you and have the boys feel bad, because they think everything is their fault? Please come upstairs and eat and stay the night. Maybe you and the guys could go see a movie or something tomorrow,” Blair said sweetly, trying to make nice.

“Fine, but I don’t like Jim right now and I don’t think I need to put up with his crap,” Naomi answered.

“That’s all right because he doesn’t like you much at this moment either. So you’ll both be pretending. Just do it for Max and Drew,” Blair pleaded.

“Let’s get up there before everything is cold,” Naomi said as she started into the building.

!!!!!!!!!!

They walked in the door and Max said, “Naomi, you’re just in time for your tofu dinner. Dad just heated it up.”

“Why thank you, Jim,” Naomi said as she sat down at the table.

Drew said, “What would you like in your tea? I’m brewing tea for you right now. Dad said that’s what you drink is hot tea.”

“Your dad is absolutely right. Doesn’t your pop drink hot tea also?” Naomi asked.

Max said, “Where do you think we learned how to brew tea from? He drinks it every night. So we’re old pro’s at it.”

Jim came in carrying all of the food and set it down for everyone to dig in to. He smiled at Naomi and Naomi smiled back, but both of them knew it was a false smile.

They had a nice quiet dinner. The boys talked about projects going in Science at school and Jim and Blair talked about a new case they were working on. The evening was going rather well, Jim and Blair both thought.

Then Naomi opened her mouth. “Did you boys know that Blair used to be a great teacher?”

Drew said, “Yes, he told us about what happened.”

Max said, “He teaches us things we never thought we could learn, so he’s still a great teacher.”

Jim smiled at the boys for handling Naomi on their own and then smiled at Blair. Blair wasn’t having it. He was pissed. Why was his mother being so negative?

“So tell us, Naomi, why did you come into town?” Drew asked nicely.

“I wanted to see how things were going for you boys and to tell you about the summer vacation I had planned. I still can’t believe that a judge wouldn’t allow you to go with me,” Naomi said.

Blair said, “Are you guys about done? It’s time to get ready for bed. School comes early in the morning.”

Drew and Max both cleaned up their mess at the table and went into the kitchen.

“Blair, honey, you never had a bed time,” Naomi stated.

“Well, these guys do. Things are different now that I’m a parent, mom.”

“You’re not actually a parent though. You and Jim are living in this little world where everything should be fine, but you know damn well it won’t be,” Naomi pointed out.

Jim got up from the table and grabbed his and Blair’s plate and left the room.

“Are you happy mom? You’re cleared out the room. Now you have me all to yourself. Is that what you wanted?” Blair asked.

“Actually, I had planned on asking you to go on part of the trip with me, Blair. Just like we used to do when you were young,” Naomi said wistfully.

“Mom, I’m not your little boy anymore. I have a husband, who I adore. I don’t want to leave for a month at a time. Unless it’s with him. I love being with him, but not with you. That time has passed, Naomi. I’m sorry, but it’s how life works.”

“Blair, you wait until the boys’ mom and dad get out and they take them back. You will be devastated. They will never be yours again. I don’t wish that on anyone.”

“Then think good thoughts for me, mom. I would like to think that we’ll have them around forever. Can’t I believe that to be true?” Blair pleaded.

“Yes, you can darling. I’m sorry. I always try to take over don’t I?” Naomi asked.

“Yes, you do. But I still love you, mom. I’ll always love you and Jim will to. Even when he’s mad at you, he defended you when I got smart with you downstairs. So remember that and try being nicer to him.”

“I will. Can I stay in my room here?” Naomi asked.

Blair got up and pulled her into a huge hug. “Yes, you can. Why don’t you go and tell the boys goodnight and I’ll make your bed up in the office. That Murphy bed is quite easy to make.”

“Let’s call it a Sandburg bed, instead of a Murphy bed,” Naomi said with a chuckle.

Naomi called up the stairs for Max and Drew and they said their goodnights and then she went into the kitchen and found Jim cleaned as usual and hugged him from behind. “You’re a very good mate to my son. I thank you for that.”

“And I thank you for having such a wonderful son and raising him the way you did. I couldn’t find anyone better then Blair.”

“Goodnight, Jim,” Naomi said.

“Goodnight, Naomi. Sleep well. Maybe we could do something this weekend with all five of us together. It could be fun. We just have to work on it a little bit more,” Jim suggested.

“I think you might be right,” Naomi left the room and walked into the office. Blair was all done making the bed and she hugged him close and said, “You’re mate just said some very nice things to me.”

“He always says nice things about you when you’re not here,” Blair reminded her.

“Help me remember that, okay? He’s a good man. I’m way too hard on him.”

“Goodnight, mom,” Blair said as he hugged her and kissed her cheek.

“I love you, Blair.”

“And I love you, mom. Sleep well,” Blair called out over his shoulder as he headed into the kitchen to help Jim.

Things would get better. They just needed some time to work all of the problems out.

The end.

Patt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *