Family Life Parts 61-70

Family Life Part 61
Really?
By Patt

Word Count: 1893

Summary: What is up with Jim? Is it mid-life crisis or worse?

Notes: This is what happens to people when everyone discusses everyone else’s sex lives. Let’s hope they learn from this. 

Blair had a week long break from Jim wanting sex, but there was something going on with Jim. He was too attentive at work and too frigging nice all the time. To everyone. Blair knew he had to look into this and see what was going on.

Blair thought by taking sex away from Jim, it would calm him down. Instead, his Sentinel walked around with a constant hard on that was there for everyone to see, not that anyone would be staring at Jim’s crotch, and don’t you just know he was probably very uncomfortable.

Mason started work in Major Crimes that morning and everyone was making him feel welcome but Jim. Jim, who was being nice to everyone, was not being nice to Mason. He wasn’t being rude or anything, just ignoring him was what he was doing. It had something to do with Mason. Blair knew that Jim really liked Mason, so it couldn’t be that he didn’t care for him. No, it had to be something else and Blair was going to find out about it that night.

Mason walked up to Jim and Blair and said, “How would you like to go for lunch with me and Megan today?”

Jim said, “We’ve got plans, but thanks, anyhow.”

“Oh, okay. Well maybe some other time.” Mason walked away like a puppy dog that had been kicked.

“Jim, what are you talking about? We have no plans,” Blair said.

“I wanted some alone time with you. So shoot me,” Jim answered.

“We can have alone time anytime. I want you to tell them we’ll have lunch with them today. Now go on, do it,” Blair bossed.

Jim walked over to Mason and Megan and told them they’d love to have lunch with them and Mason lit up like a light bulb with happiness. Megan told Jim what time they’d go and Jim agreed to it.

Jim sat back down at his desk and said, “We’re going at 12:30, because Connor can’t get off until then. She’s busy finishing up a report for Simon.”

“That works out just fine. Where are we going?” Blair asked.

“I didn’t ask.”

Blair walked over to Mason and asked him and came back over to the desk. “We’re just going across the street.”

“That’s good, nice and close. Plus they have super good food at the diner. I’m going to have the meatloaf dinner.”

“You must be hungry if you’ve already figured out what you’re going to have,” Blair teased.

Jim leaned in to Blair and whispered, “Do we get to make love tonight?”

Blair blushed and answered, “Maybe.”

“I hope so, I need you like crazy.”

Blair knew that Jim was whacking off in the shower every day, because he could smell it when he went into the bathroom. Why was Jim so horny? What was Blair missing?

!!!!!!!!!!

Lunch with Megan and Mason went well. Jim was civil and almost friendly, so no one noticed his odd behavior except for Blair. Blair watched Jim closely during lunch and found him looking at Mason numerous times. Blair didn’t know what to think of this. Did Jim find Mason attractive? Was Jim Jonesing for Mason? These were all things that Blair needed to find out.

!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the day was pretty quiet and at 5:00, everyone left for the day. Jim and Blair were driving home and Blair said, “So what do you think of Mason, Jim?”

Jim looked over at Blair oddly and said, “I like him just fine, why?”

“I just wondered if you like him as much as I like him. Do you consider him a friend?”

Jim thought on that a moment. “I would consider him a friend. I would call him for bail money.” Jim thought he would tease Blair.

“I’m serious, Jim. You were acting weird at the station today and it all started with Mason. Do you have something against him?”

“No, I like him. He’s a nice guy. I think he’s a good catch for Connor.”

“Then what is the problem?” Blair asked.

“There is no problem. I don’t know where you’re getting this from, but I’m fine and so is Mason.”

“Jim, I can tell when you lie. I’ve always been able to tell. Now what is wrong?”

“I have some things on my mind and I’ve got to work them out before I discuss anything with you. I’m fine, you’re fine and we’re fine.”

“Talk to me Jim, I might be able to help you figure something out. I want you to talk to me. This all started with taking pictures of us. Why did you do that?”

“Blair, I was trying to spice up our sex life. I thought it might need that, you know?”

“Why would our sex life need spicing up?” Blair asked.

“Well, when I went to lunch with Mason he told me how fantastic things were for him and Connor and I began to wonder if they were that good for us. He said they liked to try new things all of the time. We never did, so I figured we might have to do that,” Jim admitted.

Blair just looked at Jim in shock and realized that he and Mason discussed sex like he and Megan did. That surprised Blair like nothing else had ever done. Jim didn’t seem the type to discuss anything with anyone. Blair wasn’t sure how he felt about being discussed.

“Jim, we try new things all the time. Was it his idea to do the Polaroid shots?”

“Yeah, he thought it might spice up our sex life,” Jim said.

“Why would he think that our sex life needed spicing up?” Blair wondered.

“I told him that you didn’t seem too thrilled with me anymore,” Jim admitted.

“What? What in the fuck are you talking about?”

“Some nights you don’t seem that interested in me,” Jim said carefully.

“Jim, I’m always interested in you. Why would you think that?”

“I don’t know. I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately,” Jim said sadly.

“I’ve noticed that you’re horny a lot is something new going on?”

“All I have to do is hear your voice and I’m hard. If I smell your shampoo, I get hard. Jesus, everything makes me hard. I want you all the time,” Jim said.

“Jim, why didn’t you tell me you were having troubles? This sounds like your dials are up to high. Have you even bothered to check your dials on your sense of touch?”

“I haven’t checked my dials, no. I didn’t even think of that. Is it so bad that I want you all the time?” Jim asked.

“It is if it’s interfering with work and home. You walk around with a hard on almost all the time. That can’t be comfortable. Not to mention someone is going to notice and it’s going to piss me off,” Blair explained.

“Are you mad at me because Mason and I discussed private things?” Jim wondered.

“No, Connor and I discuss personal things a lot. It’s not a biggy, but he’s not telling you exactly what’s going on in his life. And here he made you think you were falling down on the job.”

“You mean, he’s not having sex twice every night and once in the morning?”

“That’s exactly what I mean? They haven’t had sex in a while and that’s why Connor was asking me about it. She thought it was something with her and it was. He was afraid of hurting the baby. He evidentially didn’t want you to know he was afraid of hurting the baby, so he told you those stories. He made you feel inadequate. Now I have some questions for you.”

“Okay, I’m ready,” Jim said as he pulled into the parking lot at Prospect Place.

“We’ll just sit down here for a few moments, because I need to ask you some things.”

“I love you, Chief.”

“I know you do, Jim, but that isn’t always the answer to everything. Now when we make love do I make you feel good?”

“Of course you do.”

“Do you feel like you need more when we’re finished?” Blair asked.

“Not usually. Every now and then, I’m really horny and need more, but usually I’d rather have you in my arms and sleep.”

“What did you get from the videos that we took?” Blair asked.

“Hornier. Every time I saw you, I needed you more.”

“And are you going to be all right making love to me without videos and pictures?”

“Blair, I just want to make love to you again, I don’t care about the videos or pictures.”

“Check your touch dial and see what it’s on right now,” Blair ordered.

Jim closed his eyes and Blair could tell he was doing what he was told. “It’s on 8, that’s why I’ve been so touchy feely lately. It wasn’t because I wasn’t making you feel good.”

“You thought you weren’t making me feel good?” Blair was shocked.

“Well, if I was still so horny, I figured you were too and I must not be doing it right.”

“Jim, you’re a doofus sometimes, you do know that, right?”

“Yes, I know that. Do you still love me as much as you used to?”

“I can’t believe you’d even ask. Really? Get a grip, Jim.”

“I’m getting a grip. I love you too.”

“Do you feel better with your dials turned down?”

“I didn’t turn it down yet. I needed to see what you thought. Are you sure you don’t want me to make love to you twice a nice and once in the morning?”

“Turn it down to five, right now. We’ll make love when we feel like it and no sooner or later. Mason lied to you, what do you think about that?”

“I think that he should have a talk with someone experienced like you.” Jim said with a smile in his voice.

“I think Connor got him on the right track. She seems happy, but if you notice anything like that again, tell me about it so I can help with the problem.”

“Should we go upstairs, Chief?”

“Wait a minute, is that why you were treating Mason weird today? Because you thought he was doing it more then you were?”

“Well, yeah. I didn’t want to disappoint you,” Jim said sheepishly.

“From now on, you tell Mason we have sex all the time and we love it. He doesn’t need to know the details. Okay?” Blair couldn’t believe how much Jim had taken from their conversation.

“Just to clear things up in my head, I do satisfy you, right?”

“Jim, get out of this SUV and start running now. I’m going to kick your sweet ass.” Blair was smiling and getting out of the SUV.

Jim locked it up and began to run, making Blair laugh. Jim was actually going to run from him. This turned Blair on to no end. God, they were both sick. Blair smiled and started to run after his lover.

The end

Family Life Part 62
Don’t Mess Around with Jim
By Patt

Word Count: 4754

Summary: Jim is not superman and the kids discover that they don’t like their dad being hurt.

Notes: Thank you to Bee for this idea.

Blair was teaching his classes at the academy when Captain Mitchell came in to his class and asked to speak with him. Blair followed him out to the hallway and knew something had happened.

“Blair, your partner was in an altercation and they asked for you to go up to the hospital. He’s got some broken ribs, a black eye, and a banged up forehead, a concussion and a fat mouth to contend with so far. He was jumped by three men, and was supposed to wait for back up and he didn’t. So Captain Banks is rather upset with him, but he said that Jim needed you up there right away. I’ll take over your class. It’s almost done with anyhow. Drive carefully and give him my best.”

Blair smiled. “I will sir. Now I better get my things and get running. I’ll tell the class that you’re taking over for me.”

Blair didn’t want to say any more then that because he was worried sick and didn’t want everyone to know he was scared. He quickly told his class he had to leave and grabbed his backpack and did just that.

He hurried out to his SUV and raced over to Cascade General and went looking for his partner. If he’s all right, I’m going to kill him.

After a wait of about 20 minutes, Simon came and got him and led him to Jim’s room. “They have to admit him?”

“Yeah, for about two days for observation. He got hit in the eye with the top of the baseball bat and the doctor said he’s lucky he has any vision left. His ribs are cracked from the baseball bat and one side of his forehead is swollen from hitting the pavement. Then he got hit in the mouth once. No missing teeth. Although I’m tempted to change that for him,” Simon stated. He was joking, but only half-way.

“What happened?” Blair asked.

“He answered a call on his way to work this morning. I told him to wait for Brown and Rafe for backup, but he heard a woman screaming for help and decided he had to make the move then. Yes, he did save the woman’s life, probably, but he could have been killed just as easily. I’ve already yelled at him for an hour, so you can relax. You don’t have to get after him.”

“Simon, if I would have been with him, he wouldn’t be lying in that bed right now. I’m going to have to give this some thought,” Blair said sadly.

“Blair, you can’t blame yourself for his foolish actions. He has to realize he’s not Superman and he can be hurt.”

“I know that Simon, but the kids aren’t going to take this well. They’ll be scared, especially Sam. They won’t want him to be a cop after this,” Blair said.

“Sandburg, you can’t give up your life in law enforcement every time your family is scared.”

“Do you think I don’t know that? I would just like the kids to have a normal upbringing with no trips to visit one of the dad’s in the hospital.”

“I know, but Blair, don’t go thinking about giving up on the academy. They love you as a teacher. You love to teach, it’s a perfect set up. Promise me you’ll discuss this with Jim first.” Simon was worried that Blair was going to give up something again in his life that he wouldn’t have to.

“I promise. I’ll give it a great deal of thought, Simon. Now where is his room, in another hospital?” Blair asked sarcastically.

Simon stopped in front of room 307 and Blair almost laughed about that. But then he remembered why he was here and the smile left his face. He walked in the door and saw his lover lying on the bed, sleeping. He looked at Jim’s face and saw a perfectly round black eye from the bat, a scrape and bruise from the pavement on his forehead and his lip and chin were bruised. At least he was alive. Blair sat down in the chair next to the bed and Jim opened his eyes.

“Chief?”

“Yeah, it’s me. Go back to sleep. I’ll be here when you wake up,” Blair said.

“I’m sorry. I know I should have waited but I could hear the woman crying and begging for help. I just had to go,” Jim rambled on.

“Jim, go back to sleep. We’ll discuss this when you’re stronger. Now sleep,” Blair said sternly.

Jim could tell by looking at him that he was in deep shit. Blair hadn’t looked this angry in a long, long while. He closed his eyes in hopes that when he woke up, Blair would be smiling instead of snarling. The next thing he knew, he was asleep.

“Sandburg, I’m going to head back to the station. Is there anything you need? Do you want me to get the kids and tell them what has happened?” Simon asked.

“No, I’m going to go home at 5:00 and tell them what has happened. I’ll take them to dinner and then they can come up and see their dad. They’re not going to be happy, I can tell you that much.”

“I’m not happy either and he’s not my dad. So I know how they’re going to feel. Things will be better in a few days. Jim is off duty for five days and then desk duty for two weeks. So I was going to partner you with Connor when you come back to work. For right now, just take care of your partner and the kids. Let me know how he’s doing later today,” Simon barked.

“I’ll call as soon as the kids are back at home and settled in bed. Jim is going to have to rough it out at the hospital by himself because it’s not like I’m going to leave the kids alone,” Blair said softly.

“Good luck with the kids, Sandburg. I’ll talk to you later on tonight. Take care of him and the kids too. And find a moment to take care of yourself.” Simon left the room and Blair just stared at his lover’s face. He was pretty banged up and Sam was going to be really upset. He wondered if maybe he should wait to let Jim see them until he was better. No, it didn’t pay to lie. Blair knew that from experience.

!!!!!!!!!!

About 3:00, Blair woke Jim up. “Jim, I need you to wake up for me.”

“Chief, you still here?”

“Yes, I’m still here. I’ve got to go and get the kids. I’m going to bring them up to see you, so hopefully you’ll be awake and sitting up by then.”

“Chief, don’t bring them up here yet. I’m not ready to see them. They’ll be upset and I can’t take it right now.”

“Then you should have thought of that, shouldn’t you? I’m bringing them up to see you after dinner. So get as presentable as you can by then,” Blair said as he got up to leave.

“Chief, don’t be so mad at me, please?”

“I’m going to stay mad at you for a long, long while. So just forget about me forgiving you anytime soon.”

With that said Blair walked out the door and didn’t look back. Jim sighed and knew that he was in big trouble.

Jim knew he should have waited for back up. He knew that. Why didn’t he? He always had to screw things up. Blair was never going to forgive him for this one. Usually Jim didn’t get hurt that often, so he didn’t have to worry about this type of thing. Jim rang for the nurse and she came walking in and said, “Mr. Ellison, what can I get for you?”

Jim looked at her name tag and saw it was Mandy and said, “Mandy could I have some scrubs to put on, my children are coming up to see me soon. I’d like to take a shower and have clean scrubs to put on.”

“I’ll give you a sponge bath. You can’t have a shower until tomorrow. It’s on your orders, sorry,” Mandy said seriously.

“What about if I just wash up at the sink on the other side of the room?” Jim asked.

“That would be fine. I’ll go and get you some wash cloths and some scrubs. I’m glad to see you awake and moving. I’ll let your doctor know that you’re doing very well. If you need more pain meds, just let me know,” Mandy said on her way out the door.

Jim sighed again and wondered if he could sneak a shower in without their knowledge. He was already in deep shit, what more could it hurt, right?”

!!!!!!!!!!

When Max, Drew and Sam drove up they parked and got everything out of the SUV and walked up the stairs. Drew was teasing Sam and they were all laughing. Max opened the door to find Blair standing there. All three of the kids jumped in surprise. “Pop, what are you doing home? I didn’t see the SUV.”

“Come on in, I need to talk to all three of you,” Blair said.

They all laid their backpacks and jackets on the floor next to the front door and walked into the living room. Blair said, “Sit down, I have some news.”

Sam crawled into Max’s lap and sat with him holding on for dear life. They all knew something had happened.

“Your dad was in an altercation with some bad people today and he got beat up pretty badly. He has a couple of ribs broken, a bruised, swollen eye, a bruised, swollen forehead and a big fat lip and chin. He’s got to stay in the hospital for two days and then he’ll be off for three more days and then desk duty for two weeks. So we’ll go out to eat dinner and then we’ll go see dad at the hospital. It’s up to you guys if you want to see him there or at home. What do you want to do?” Blair figured he would give them a choice. Not all people liked hospitals.

“I want to see my daddy,” Samantha cried into Max’s chest and Max held her tight.

“I want to go see him tonight,” Max agreed.

“I don’t want to go to the hospital, but I will because I have to be sure that he’s all right,” Drew explained.

“How did it happen?” Max asked.

Blair explained what had happened and Drew said, “I don’t like him being a cop. It’s too dangerous. What would happen if something happened to both of you? Where would we go?”

“Your dad and I have a lot of things to discuss in the next few days, so you’ll let us make up our own minds. It is dangerous to be a cop, but it’s also dangerous to be a regular person these days. So keep that in mind too. Now go get ready and we’ll go out to eat first and then up to see dad.”

All of the kids left Blair sitting in the living room and Blair knew that they were going to make Jim feel guilty. Blair didn’t know how he felt about it. Jim was a most excellent cop and he would hate to see him giving that up for anything. Blair liked being a cop too. There was going to be a lot of talking and thinking for the next few days. Blair also knew that he was very angry with Jim and that was going to have to be covered. But he didn’t know when. They didn’t have a lot of alone time and at the hospital the nurses would always be coming in and interrupting him. It would have to wait until they got home from the hospital.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim managed to get a shower taken and dressed in the clean scrubs before the nurse came back in.

“Mr. Ellison, I told you no shower,” Mandy growled.

“I couldn’t let my kids see me like I was. I feel better now and I can move really well. I’m sitting in my bed like a good little patient, so I don’t know what your problem is,” Jim snarled back.

“This will all be written in your chart. Dr. Spenser isn’t going to like it one bit.” Mandy turned and walked out of the room and almost ran into Blair and the kids.

Sam saw Jim and started to cry. Max picked her up and held her. Jim said, “Bring her over here. She just needs to see I’m fine.”

Max took Sam over to Jim and she wouldn’t take her face out of Max’s neck.

“Sam, I’m fine, just a little banged up. Sit with me on the bed and talk to me. You’re going to hurt my feelings,” Jim said hoping to make her feel guilty.

It worked. She looked at him and smiled and held her arms out for Jim to lift her. Jim said, “Max will you set her on the bed. I can’t lift anything yet. Broken ribs do that to a person.”

Max set her down on the bed and then Max leaned down and kissed the top of Jim’s head. “I’m glad you’re all right, dad.”

“Thanks, Max. I’m doing pretty well. I feel much better then this morning, I’m telling you. Drew, come give your old dad a hug,” Jim called out to Drew who was still standing over by the door.

Drew continued standing where he was and Blair walked over to him and Drew went into Blair’s arms. Jim could hear Drew crying and it broke his heart. He wanted to kick his own ass.

Blair just held Drew close and finally said, “Drew, he’s fine, now let’s go over and see him. He feels badly about scaring you kids but this is part of life. Come on, let’s go over and give him a hug.”

Drew walked over with red rimmed eyes and gave Jim a very quick hug. Jim pulled him down for more of a hug and said, “I’m going to be fine, Drew. I promise.”

“Daddy, you look terrible, but you sound like you’re good.”

Max laughed and said, “You do look terrible, dad.”

“Yeah, you do,” Drew agreed.

Jim talked with the kids for about two hours and then he began to grow tired. Blair stood up and said, “Time to let dad get his sleep. We’ll come and see him tomorrow night too.”

“Night dad,” Drew said as he hugged and kissed Jim.

“Night dad,” Max said as he gave him a gentle hug.

“I love you daddy,” Sam said as she kissed the part of his face that wasn’t bruised.

“Max, can you take the kids down to the car? I’ve got to talk to your dad alone,” Blair asked.

“May I have the keys? We’ll listen to music while you talk.” Max said as they walked out the door, keys in hand.

“They took it pretty well, don’t you think?” Jim asked.

“I just wanted you to know I wouldn’t see you until tomorrow night when I bring the kids. Sleep well,” Blair turned and left the room.

Jim knew at that very moment that he might be in trouble of losing Blair. He had screwed up one time too many. Jim had known this day would come, but he hoped it would be much later on.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair got the kids in bed and got ready for bed himself. He just wanted to sleep and forget that this day had even happened. As soon as he got all comfortable in bed, the phone rang and he picked it up, “Sandburg.”

“Blair, talk to me. I can’t sleep now. I need to know what’s going on with me and you,” Jim pleaded.

“I’m really upset with you right now and I don’t want to talk about it when I’m this upset,” Blair said.

“Are we still going to be together when I come home?” Jim asked hoping to hear good news.

“Of course we’re going to still be together, Jim. What a stupid question. I’m mad, but I’m not insane. I love you.”

“God, I’m so glad to hear that, Blair. I love you too. I’m sorry I went in alone. I think I might give it thought if it ever happened again. I’m not as young as I once was. I’m not as tough as I used to be. I’m getting old.”

“I’ll tell you what, I’m just about ready to go down to the station and see the guys that did this to you so I can beat the shit out of them. I can say or do whatever I want when it comes to you, but no one else can mess around with you. And that includes beating you up.”

“Don’t go hitting anyone Chief. You only think Simon is irritated now. He’d be worse then. Promise me you won’t go to the station to see them,” Jim said.

“I don’t have to promise. I’m not stupid. They would get off if I did that. No one messes with you and gets away with it,” Blair reminded Jim.

“So you’re not coming to see me until tomorrow night?” Jim asked.

“If you play your cards right and do what you’re told, I’ll buy you lunch and bring it up tomorrow afternoon. But you have to follow orders, understood?”

“Understood, Chief.”

“Jim, I do love you.”

“And I love you, Blair.”

“Now go to sleep and rest up for lunch tomorrow afternoon,” Blair said.

“I will. Sleep well, Chief.”

“Goodnight, Jim.” Blair hated hanging up the phone because he knew he was going to miss Jim like crazy. Oh wait a minute he was going to have the bed all to himself. He never thought of that. He stretched out and loved the feeling of being alone for all of ten minutes. Then he missed his warm blanket. Then he missed those strong arms. Then he just missed Jim for everything.

!!!!!!!!!!

The next day the kids were adapting quite well to having Jim in the hospital. They went to school without any problems and they knew that when they got home, they could go and visit dad.

Blair went to the station to check out these dudes that beat the shit out of his husband and he couldn’t believe it. Jim had said he was falling down on the job. That he was too old for this shit and he wasn’t a good cop anymore. The size of these guys was unreal. No wonder Jim had had a hard time dealing with them all alone. All three of them were bigger then he was. The smallest one was about 6’3” weighing in at about 250. And that was the smallest one. Jim forgot to mention their sizes. Blair was going to have to teach Jim a lesson in how to give a report to your partner.

When Blair got back upstairs Simon saw him and said, “What are you doing here? I thought you would be taking a few days off.”

“I am. I just wanted to check those guys out that got the upper hand on Jim. He failed to mention how big they were. Jim didn’t have a fucking chance. What was he thinking?” Blair said.

“He was thinking about the woman that these guys were going to rape and probably kill. He wanted her out of there. She’s here if you would like to meet her,” Simon stated.

“No, that’s okay. If she wants Jim for anything, tell her thanks, but no thanks.”

“Sandburg, it’s not her fault that those men beat Jim up. Jim should have waited until his backup arrived. He knows that and you know that too,” Simon barked.

“I know. I’m just in a mood. I didn’t expect them to be so fucking big. They could have killed him easily. Why didn’t they?” Blair wondered.

“Jim fought them off. He might not have won the entire fight, but he held his ground until the backup got there. They were in need of medical attention when we got there. So Jim did some damage to them too. Stop being so hard on him, kid. He did pretty darn good for what he had to work with,” Simon boasted.

“Simon, I just know you aren’t defending him going in on his own. Right? Am I right?”

“Of course I didn’t want him to go alone. That’s stupid. I told him as much. But you don’t have to keep telling him, you know?”

“All right, I’ll leave him be for the time being. I’m off to go get lunch for my boyfriend,” Blair said smiling.

“Tell him to get better soon. Also tell him that two weeks on desk duty is the hell he has to pay for not waiting for backup,” Simon snickered as he walked to his office.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim heard Blair two floors down. Blair was whistling a happy tune which gave Jim hope for a happy Blair instead of a pissed off Guide. When Blair came through the doors he was carrying a sack from Wonder Burger. Jim couldn’t believe he was going to luck out that much.

“Hey Chief,” Jim said smiling.

Blair went over and kissed him on his cheek that didn’t have any owwies and then he started pulling out the lunch. “Sit up, man. You can’t eat lying down.”

Jim put his bed up and sat happily waiting for his lunch. Blair gave him his burger and his fries and his drink and then pulled his salad out of the bag. “You’re having a salad?” Jim asked.

“Yeah, I didn’t feel like anything heavy just in case I go after the goons that beat you up,” Blair teased.

“Blair, I kid you not, I don’t want you near them. They were stronger then you could imagine. There was no way I could have won with them. Just no way,” Jim said sadly.

“Jim, did you ever consider the fact that they were huge and built bigger then you, as part of why you couldn’t keep up with them?”

“No, I just figured I was slowing down because of my age.”

“Jim, they were fucking huge. I went and looked at them and wanted to smack you senseless myself. But you already had enough damage to that brain of yours. What were you thinking?” Blair was ranting.

“I sometimes think I’m Superman. Honestly, I think I do. There is no other explanation other then I took a stupid pill that day and I don’t have any at the house.”

“Eat your lunch, Superman and then we’re going to have more discussion about this,” Blair ordered.

Jim did as he was told and smiled with his swollen mouth making Blair almost laugh. Almost being the key word.

!!!!!!!!!!

Max drove all of them home and they changed their clothes and got ready to go and see their dad at the hospital.

Max said, “I’m glad dads all right and he’ll be able to go back to work again soon.”

“Why? He’ll just have that chance of getting hurt again, don’t you think?” Drew asked.

“He’s going to get hurt again?” Sam said loudly.

Both of the boys knew they had made a mistake discussing this in front of Sam.

“No honey, we’re talking about getting hurt by falling down the stairs in the loft,” Max said.

“Daddy never falls down the stairs,” Sam answered.

“But he could and we just want to be really careful,” Drew added.

“Why don’t you go and watch some SpongeBob while we’re making dinner?” Max asked.

“Okay, call me if daddy calls.” Samantha went running for her room singing SpongeBob Squarepants the entire way.

As soon as they heard the tv go on, Drew said, “I think he should retire.”

“Drew, he loves being a cop. What would he do all day long? Be a banker? Be a teacher? It’s not who he is. He’s a protector and being a cop is what he is.”

“But what if next time, he doesn’t come back? Will pop be able to raise us by himself?” Drew wondered.

Max sighed. “Drew, he’s going to be fine. We don’t know that we’re going to be alive tomorrow, do we? There is no guarantee. We have no insurance that says our lives will last forever. We have to live them as they come. And I for one want him to be happy. I’m upset that he was hurt, but I think he’ll be more careful now. I really believe that.”

“I hope you’re right. The only reason I’m not saying anything to him is because you’re promising that he’ll do better at staying alive from now on,” Drew said.

“So you’re going to let this subject drop?” Max asked.

“For the time being, but if anything happens again, I’m not staying quiet. I’m going to tell him what I think.”

Blair came walking in the door at that moment and said, “You guys ready to go get something to eat before we see dad?”

Both of the boys hugged Blair for no reason and Blair liked it. He needed that damn hug. It felt good to be needed now and then, and this was one of the times.

They collected Sam and went out to eat dinner and then drove up to the hospital.

!!!!!!!!!!

When they arrived, Blair parked and said, “Are you okay with your dad being hurt?”

“No…” Sam answered.

“I meant the boys, Sam.”

“I think it sucks, but I know he loves being a cop, so I’m going to go along with his decision to stay. He’s staying, right?” Drew asked.

“Yes, he’s going to continue to be a cop. How do you feel, Max?”

“I feel like he’s got to be more careful, but I think he might have learned it this time. I’m fine with his decision to stay,” Max added.

“I want to see daddy,” Sam whined.

“We’re going up right now, sweetheart. Let’s go tell daddy how much we miss him and love him,” Blair said taking her hand in his.

“Oh yes, I want to tell him that. Can I hug him tonight?” Sam asked.

“You can hug him anytime, Sam. You just have to be careful. He’s still got major owwies. We don’t want to hurt him.”

“No, I never want to hurt my daddy,” Sam said as she flew into the room where Jim was sitting in a chair waiting for them to get there.

Jim stood up and Max, Drew and Sam all went over and hugged him gently but enough to let him know he was loved and needed. Blair smiled from the doorway and realized everything was going to be all right.

!!!!!!!!!!

Max and Drew took Sam downstairs to the SUV and waited for Blair. Blair wanted to talk to Jim once again.

“Jim, we need to set something up where someone will be in charge of the kids if something happens to one or both of us. Who would you leave the kids to?”

Jim thought a moment and said, “Either Connor or Simon. Either of them would be good to the kids. Maybe Simon because he and Rafe don’t have a family to take care of and Connor does. So yeah, I’d say Simon,” Jim answered.

“Okay, once you feel better, we’re going to the lawyer and getting papers filled out. I don’t want the kids to have to worry about that. They have enough problems with us being cops,” Blair stated.

“I think that’s a good idea and Simon will be pleased that we thought of him. Go downstairs now Chief. The kids will be worried. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon when I get released.”

“Night, Jim.” Blair bent over and kissed his lover softly and let him know he was going to miss him terribly.

“Night, Blair.” Jim watched sadly as Blair walked out the door and realized how much he hated the hospital and sleeping alone. ‘Next time think of this, you moron.’

The end

Family Life Part 63
Drunk as a Skunk
By Patt

Word Count: 2554

Summary: Drew finds out what it’s like to be drunk for the first time in his life.

Notes: Thanks to Bee for the idea again.

Max had missed the last two days from classes because of the flu. It was the weekend, but he still felt horrible. He decided that he wasn’t going to go to Marshall’s party, because he just didn’t feel good enough to even think about getting dressed.

Drew walked into the kitchen and saw Jim and Blair making dinner and said, “Do you mind if I go with Mike and Mark tonight to a party? Max doesn’t feel like it, but a friend from school is having a get together with dancing and things like that. His name is Marshall Olsen. He lives about five blocks from here. I would have a ride there and a ride back, grampa gave his permission already for Mark and Mike to go. Do you mind?”

“What time are you leaving and what time do you plan on being home?” Jim asked.

“Mark said he would pick me up at 7:00 and we’d be home by 12:00. No later,” Drew answered.

Blair came around and hugged his son and said, “Yeah, go and have a good time, but be safe. If there are any problems, you know where we are. Take your phone with you and keep it with you at all times.”

“Thanks, pop. Thanks, dad. I really appreciate you guys giving me a chance to go somewhere without Max,” Drew said happily. He rushed up the stairs to make some phone calls and Jim smiled at Blair.

“Do we know anything about these parents that are having the party?” Jim asked.

“No, but we have to let him grow up sometime. This is as good a time as any. Mark would never drink and drive, so I feel like we’re safe.”

“Good, if you feel okay about it, then I am too,” Jim said calmly.

!!!!!!!!!!

Max walked into the living room and said, “It’s no fair that I didn’t get to go tonight. They’re probably dancing with my girlfriend as we speak.”

Jim laughed. “Flu is a pain, but it’ll be gone in another day or two. Just have patience.”

“Do you and pop want to play cards? I take it Sam is sleeping already,” Max said.

“We’d love to play cards. That’ll keep us busy until Drew gets home. We worry, you know?” Blair said.

“Sam has been sleeping for an hour already. Didn’t you notice the peace and quiet?” Jim teased.

They all walked up to the dining room table and Max got the cards out. It was ten o’clock and Drew wasn’t home for two hours, so they had some time to kill.

They played and laughed and joked until it was about 12:30. Jim looked at his watch and said, “Where is he?”

Blair got up and called his cell phone and got the voice mail instead of Drew. “He’s not answering his cell phone. Let me call Mark.”

Blair dialed Mark’s cell phone number and heard it ring twice and Mark answered, “Hello?”

“Mark, this is Blair, do you have Drew with you?”

There was dead silence and Mark said, “He wouldn’t come with us, so we left him there. I was going to go and get William to go and get him. I didn’t know what else to do. He was drinking. I don’t know where he got the booze, but he’s drunk.”

Blair stood up and said, “Mark, I need the address right now.”

Jim saw the look of worry come across Blair’s face and stood up to join him near the phone. Blair wrote down the address and Blair thanked Mark and hung up the phone.

“Max, has Drew ever been interested in drinking before?” Blair asked.

“No more so then any almost 14 year old. They always want to know what it’s like. I kept telling him it was no fun; all you do is throw up. Why? Is he drunk?” Now Max joined Jim and Blair in the kitchen.

“Mark said that Drew wouldn’t go with them, he wanted to stay and drink more. So we have to go and pick him up,” Blair said.

Jim got both of their jackets and headed to the front door. Jim turned to Max and said, “You’re all right to watch Sam, right?”

“Don’t worry about Sam. Go and get my brother.”

Jim and Blair left right away. Jim was very upset and worried. This didn’t seem like Drew at all. “Blair does he remind you of the type that would drink?”

“I don’t know. I have no idea what type drinks and what type doesn’t. It’s been a long, long time since I was 14. I don’t remember if I liked drinking or not. I don’t think so. I’m super disappointed in Drew. He knows better. He promised us he would be home by 12:00 and that Mark would be driving him home. He lied. This isn’t like Drew at all.”

“We don’t know that for a fact, Blair because he’s going on 14 and we’ve only had him for a year. We don’t know everything there is to know about him. There is a lot left we need to find out. We’re going to find out about some of it tonight. I can’t believe he’s pulling this shit.” Jim was very disappointed also. But he was more worried then anything.

They drove up to the house and Jim and Blair got out of the SUV, to get Drew. A man answered the door and said, “Everyone is already gone. They all left about a half hour ago.”

“Are you Mister Olsen?” Jim asked.

“Yes, I got home and found them all in my stash of liquor and I threw everyone out. I don’t put up with this kind of shit,” Mr. Olsen said. “I take it one of you kids was one of the trouble makers.”

“Not normally, but for some reason, he was drinking tonight and we’re here to find him. Do you know where they would have gone?” Blair asked.

“They said something about going to the park and hanging out there. He’ll probably sober up and come home when he comes to his senses,” Mr. Olsen said.

“Thank you for telling us where they went. I would suggest the next time there is a party, an adult be present for it,” Jim growled.

“Hey, don’t take it out on me because you’re fucking kid is a loser.”

Blair had to hold Jim back. Jim wanted a piece of Mr. Olsen in the worst way.

Blair pushed Jim back to the SUV and they got in. “I’m going to kick his ass when we finally find him.”

“Jim, you’re not going to kick his ass. We’re going to talk to him and then he’s going to be grounded for a month. Everything he likes to do will be taken away for a month. That’ll hurt him worse then kicking his ass. Besides, we don’t kick our kids’ asses.”

Jim’s cell phone went off and Jim saw it was Drew. “Drew? Where are you?”

“I came to the park with a bunch of older kids and they left me here. Now there is a man following me around. I don’t know what to do.”

“We’re on our way, keep walking around and don’t let him get close to you. I’m going to stay on the phone with you while I drive. In fact, let me put pop on so you can talk to him while we drive over there.”

Blair took the phone and said, “Drew, are you all right?”

“I’m scared. They just left me here. They told me I was a baby and they weren’t babysitting.”

“Why would they call you a baby, Drew?”

“Because I wouldn’t go and steal from the 24 hour store. They dared me to do it and I refused and they started making fun of me after that. Then they left me here all by myself. That man is getting closer to me, pop.”

“Walk faster Drew. We’re almost there. Dad is going to listen for you and we’ll find you in two shakes,” Blair assured Drew.

Jim listened as they drove up to the park and Jim pulled up, slammed his SUV into gear and was out and running in no time. Blair said, “Drew, are you all right?”

“That man is right here. He’s coming over to me.”

“Drew, run,” Blair said.

Drew wasn’t thinking and hung up the phone as he started to run. Blair got out and started to run in the direction that Jim had gone and listened to hear what he could with his mere mortal hearing.

He soon heard Jim yelling for him to call the police. Blair did. He called the police and told them where they were and Jim had a hold of the dude in question. Drew saw it was Jim and Blair and ran into Blair’s arms.

“Oh I see, you wanted him for yourself,” The stupid man said and Jim punched him right in the mouth.

Blair said, “Jim, hold on to your temper. I mean it.”

The cops got there and they arrested the man for trying to pick Drew up. Jim knew he was going to be out by morning, but he sure as hell wanted him to remember this day so Jim reared back and hit him again.

The cop that was called said, “Detective Ellison, just take your son home and try and keep track of him this time.”

“Fuck you,” Jim shouted to the cop. Jim was ready to take on the full force.

Blair said, “Thank you, officer, we’ll take him home right now. He went to a party and they left him here by himself.”

“You would think being cops, you would take better care of your kids,” Officer Riley said.

Jim started towards him and Blair stopped him. “Jim, he’s right. We never even checked the house out before the party. We didn’t check out the family or anything. We know better then this.”

Officer Riley said, “Exactly, you know what happens at these parties, so you would think you would have been extra careful. He could have been hurt if you wouldn’t have been here.”

Jim pulled Drew into his arms and said, “I’m sorry Drew. We let you down and you let us down. We both have a lot of explaining to do.”

Officer Riley patted Jim on the shoulder and said, “It happens to us all now and then, but learn from it, Ellison.”

“I intend to. Thank you for getting here so quickly,” Jim said as he walked towards the SUV with Drew in tow.

“Thank you for being so understanding,” Blair said before he left.

He got to the car and Drew was crying in the back seat and Jim was very quiet in the front. Blair got in and said, “Drew stop crying right now. That’s not going to help your case any, so forget it. We’re going to have a long talk tomorrow and we will discuss what will be taken away from you.”

Jim drove home and didn’t say a word. He knew that cop had been right. Things could have been horrible for Drew and it was Jim and Blair’s fault.

Blair didn’t say anything to Jim because he knew he was on the verge of yelling and shouting and that wasn’t the answer either. So he just stayed quiet and waited for them to get home.

!!!!!!!!!!

Max was waiting on the balcony when they drove up with Drew. Jim could hear Max’s elevated heart beat and knew his brother was very worried.

“I’m really sorry, dad and pop,” Drew said with his head hanging down.

“You don’t get to be sorry, Drew. Now get your ass up stairs. We’ll talk then,” Jim shouted.

Blair grabbed Jim’s arm and said, “Jim, calm down.”

“You want me to calm down? That man was going to rape our son in the park for Gods sake. I’m not going to calm down. I’m pissed, I’m angry, I’m hurt and I’m lost for a reason that he would do this to us.”

“Jim, he’s not doing it ‘to’ us, he’s just doing it. He was rebelling. Kids do that. He got it out of his system and we’ll not have to worry about that again.”

“You’re damn right. From now on, we’re going to know everywhere they go. Who they’re going with and what we can expect. We’re never going to be taken off guard again. This is the sorriest day in Drew’s life, because he is going to be punished big time.”

Blair just sighed and followed Jim up the stairs. When they walked in, Max was standing there but Drew wasn’t in the room.

Jim went to the stairs and said, “Drew get your ass down here right this minute.”

Max looked upset. “Is dad going to hit Drew?”

“No, I’m not going to hit Drew, but we have a lot of discussion to hammer out before he gets to go to sleep.”

Blair went up the stairs and came back down without Drew. “Jim, he’s passed out on the bed.”

“Your brother was drunk as a skunk and went with people he didn’t know. They deserted him at the park and he was almost attacked by a pervert in the park. I just want you to know, Max, that new rules are going to be made. I don’t want you to think we’re being mean. We just have to make you boys safer. New rules, new way of life,” Jim stated.

“I was really scared because it was taking you guys so long to get back. I just knew something had happened to him. You hear about these nightmare stories all the time, but Drew thinks nothing can touch us because we’re cops kids. I guess he learned tonight that even a cops kid can get into trouble,” Max said.

“Go to bed, Max, we’re going to have a busy day tomorrow,” Jim advised.

Max hugged both Jim and Blair and said, “Thank you for saving him.”

“You don’t have to thank us for doing our job. If we had been doing it right, we wouldn’t have had this problem,” Jim said.

“I love you guys,” Max almost whispered.

“I love you too, Max,” Blair said.

“Goodnight Max. We love you guys no matter what you do,” Jim confessed.

Max walked up to his room and Jim and Blair got ready for bed.

Blair went into Jim’s arms and said, “Jim you have to control that temper of yours. We don’t want to push our children away from us. They need to know they can come to us with anything, even if it’s bad news.”

“I know, I’ll sleep on it tonight and hopefully I won’t be as angry tomorrow. I’ll try and calm my act down.”

They talked for about an hour and then decided that tomorrow would be soon enough to discuss their new rules of the house. Instead of worrying about anything, they got some much needed sleep.

The end

Family Life Part 64
Rules
By Patt

Word Count: 3578

Summary: The morning after. Drew is going to find out what the consequences of drinking are.

Jim woke up at 5:00 to the sound of Drew puking his guts out in the bathroom. He listened to be sure that Drew was all right, but he didn’t go down to baby him. He didn’t think that would be the right thing to do, even if he wanted to. God, this being a parent was hard work. But he knew he had to stay strong and be tough on Drew. Sighing, Jim turned on his side and looked at Blair who was wide awake too.

“No one said it was going to be easy,” Blair whispered.

“I know, but I want to go down and hold him and tell him that everything will be all right. It was partly our fault. I feel like shit.”

“You know you can’t, right?” Blair asked.

“Yes, I know I can’t. But there is a special sort of hell for parents when they have to listen to their kids hurt and can’t help them,” Jim ranted quietly.

Jim heard Drew go back upstairs and Jim wished he could go back to sleep.

“Did he go back upstairs?”

“Yes, right now he’s waking Max up to talk to him. Max isn’t a happy camper about being woken up at 5 in the morning.”

“He’s talking to Max? Listen and make sure he’s all right,” Blair said softly.

Jim listened and didn’t say anything for the longest while. Then he turned to Blair and said, “He asked Max if we were going to give them back now? He asked if they needed to pack their bags right now. He asked if we were going to call someone first thing this morning. Basically he’s asking Max what to do.”

“What is Max telling him?”

Jim listened some more and Blair saw Jim frown. “Max thinks that we might make them leave. He’s never seen us so pissed and he’s worried that they’ll have to find another foster home.”

“Okay, it’s time for our talk right now,” Blair said.

“I think we should let him stew a while before we let him off the hook,” Jim replied.

“You want him to think we’d actually send him back to a foster home? Really?”

“No, I don’t want him to think that, but I also didn’t like coming that close to having a pervert touch our son last night. Did you forget that?” Jim asked angrily.

“Of course I didn’t forget it, you ass. Don’t talk to me like I’m stupid. I just don’t want him worrying that we’re going to be shuffling them off when we get up,” Blair said just as angrily.

“I’m sorry. I’m totally out of my league here. I don’t know what to do or say. I want to hug him, but know I can’t.”

“Why can’t you hug him, Jim? Just because we’re mad doesn’t mean we don’t love him, right?”

“Right… So I could go upstairs and hold him in my arms and tell him that I love him?” Jim asked sadly.

“I think it would be a good time to do it. Let’s go upstairs and do some talking,” Blair said as he pulled on his sleep pants.

Jim pulled his on and got a tee shirt on and they walked down the stairs. “Drew hears us and is freaking out.”

“Let’s stop in the bathroom really fast, okay?” Blair asked.

“Good idea, it wouldn’t look good to pee our pants while we’re trying to be tough.”

They both took care of business and then washed up. They walked up the stairs and knocked on the boys’ door.

“Come in,” Max said softly.

Drew was sitting on his bed, head hanging and looking totally lost when the dad’s walked into the room. Jim went over and sat next to Drew and pulled him into his arms. “Drew, I might be angrier then I’ve ever been, but I will never stop loving you. You’re our son. You mean the world to us and that’s why we’re so angry about what happened. We could have lost you, just as easily as found you. We’re going to have a long, long talk a little later. But I don’t want you and Max worrying about if you have to leave. You can’t leave. This is your home. You are our boys. Do you understand?”

Drew started crying and held on to Jim really tightly. Blair sat next to Max on his bed and pulled him into his arms and said, “What he said.”

“He thought you would make us leave,” Max admitted.

“But you didn’t tell him that we wouldn’t. Why? Why in the world would you think we would make you guys leave?” Blair asked Max.

Max pulled out of Blair’s arms and said, “We still don’t know exactly where we belong in this life yet. This is still new to us. I didn’t want to say we were staying and then have you guys say something else.”

Blair found himself getting angry and started to pace. “You’re our sons. We don’t just give you away.”

“Why not, our mom and dad did?” Max shouted.

Jim said, “Okay, let’s not yell or anything else. Let’s stay calm. Max, you’re never leaving except to go to college. You boys are stuck to us like glue. Do you both understand that we love you?”

Drew nodded his head in the affirmative and Max said, “We do now. But we were scared last night. You guys were really mad. We didn’t know where it would go from there.”

Blair was still pacing as he said, “We might get angry anytime, but we will not raise a hand to you boys. We will never make you leave and we love you no matter what. I can’t believe you boys believed we would make you leave.”

Max said, “I’m sorry, pop. I didn’t mean to make you angry.”

“I was already angry, Max, this had nothing to do with that. I’m just disappointed that you believed we would give you away if we didn’t like what you did.”

“So you’ll just get angry with us now and then and we don’t ever have to worry about you getting rid of us?” Max asked.

Jim smiled. “Yes, Max, that’s exactly what our life is. We might be angry, but we’ll get over it. We might want to ground you for life, but we won’t. You might not like us when we give you the list of our new rules, but you’ll get over that too. All of us will love the others no matter what. I promise.”

Max got up and hugged Blair. Blair finally stopped pacing and said, “I love you, Max.”

“I now know exactly what it means to be loved. I don’t think we ever really knew before. It’s something different that we’ll have to get used to. I love you and dad both,” Max admitted freely.

Drew whispered, “I love you guys too.”

“Now I want you guys to sleep a little more and then when you get up, we’ll make breakfast and have a good long talk. Nothing is to be said in front of Samantha, is that understood? I don’t want her to worry when she doesn’t need to,” Jim said.

Drew lay back on the bed and closed his eyes instantly. Jim knew he was tired. Jim also knew the boys probably wanted to talk. “And guys, you are free to talk. I’m turning my hearing down. We’ll see you when you get up.”

“Thanks, dad. Thanks, pop.” Drew said softly.

“Goodnight, boys. We’ll see you in a couple of hours,” Blair said as he headed for the door.

They turned the light out on their way out the door. Jim knew they would sleep for a couple of hours.

“Want me to start some coffee?” Blair asked once they got down the stairs.

“I’d rather hold you in bed,” Jim suggested.

“Oh wow, I didn’t think that would be on the agenda. I’d rather do that any day,” Blair said as they walked up the stairs to their room.

They slid into bed and Blair was in Jim’s arms in record time. “Can you imagine how it must feel to think you might not really belong in your own home?”

“No, not really. Neither of us had lives like they did or do. This is all new to them, Blair, but they’ll get the hang of it with time. I swear this is going to get easier if it kills us.”

“Did you really turn your hearing down?”

“I sure did. I think they need some time alone, just the two of them to discuss what just happened. Then they’ll realize that they do belong here and things will get easier. I love you, Blair.”

“And I love you, Jim.”

They cuddled closer and Jim could hear Blair start to fall asleep and smiled. He really didn’t think he’d be taking a nap, and that was the last thing he remembered.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim woke up at 8:00, went downstairs and called his dad.

“Ellison.”

“Hi dad, it’s me. Could you come over and get Samantha for some reason today? We need to discuss things with the boys and we can’t do it with Samantha listening in. She’s too young to know about drinking. Did Mark tell you what happened?”

“Yes, he did and I told him I was very angry that he left Drew with strangers. I couldn’t believe he did that. But he said Drew wouldn’t go with them for anything. So he finally had to give up. I told him the next time anything like that happened, he had to call you or Blair and then me. He said he understood. He was very upset about the entire thing. I’m sorry that this had to happen to Drew. I didn’t realize that he drank,” William said.

“He never did. It was his first time, as far as we know. We’ll find out when we discuss things with them today.”

“I think you need to have the discussion with Samantha there. She might only be five, but something scary could have happened and she needs to understand too,” William said.

“Okay, we’ll have the talk with Sam here. I’ll talk to you later, dad.”

“Bye, Jimmy. Take care of those grandkids for me.”

Jim hung up the phone and smiled. His dad had never been there for him when he was young. He was always working too much or just didn’t have time for him. Now he had all the time in the world for his grandkids and Jim was tickled about that. The kids were lucky to have William and Naomi.

Jim went in to take his shower. When he came out, Max was in the kitchen making Jim and Blair their coffee. Jim hugged him and said, “Good morning, Max.”

“Good morning, dad. Thank you for letting us sleep in a little bit. I was bushed.”

“So were we, kiddo, so were we.”

Blair grumbled something as he walked by with his clothing for the day. Jim looked at Max and both of them started to laugh. Blair wasn’t a great morning person.

Drew came downstairs and said, “Good morning.”

“Good morning, Drew. Did you get a little sleep?” Jim asked.

“Yeah, I feel much better now. Thank you for coming up and talking to us last night. We realize now that we’re yours. It’s a weird feeling. We’ve never had that feeling before. This is new to us,” Drew explained.

“Well, get used to it.”

Max smiled and said, “We’re going to, dad.”

“Would you guys like some hot cocoa?” Jim asked.

“I would love some,” Drew answered.

“Me too.” Max replied.

Jim got up and made them each a big cup of hot cocoa. Samantha came walking into the kitchen and said, “Max, can I use your bathroom? Poppy is in mine and I have to pee.”

“Good morning, sunshine,” Jim said as he leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

“Don’t kiss my head, daddy, my hair is dirty.”

“Go use our bathroom, Sam,” Max ordered.

“Her hair is dirty?” Jim whispered, making both of the boys laugh.

Blair came walking out a few minutes later and said, “Coffee, I need my coffee.”

Jim laughed and got him a big cup of coffee and handed it over to him.

“Good, there will be no bloodshed this morning,” Blair teased.

Jim told Blair what Sam had just said and Blair started laughing. Sam walked into the kitchen and said, “What are you laughing at poppy?”

“At your daddy. He’s silly, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he is. But I like him very much,” Sam said ever so seriously.

Jim got up and started to make a nice breakfast and they all talked and had a nice morning. Nothing was said about the discussion and Max and Drew were hoping it got forgotten, but Jim looked at them every now and then to remind them of what was coming up.

They finished breakfast and then the boys helped Jim clean the kitchen. Blair got Sam settled in the bathtub and washed her hair, since it was dirty. Before long, things were back to normal and Jim said, “Don’t go anywhere you two. We’re having a family discussion in a few minutes.”

Drew looked scared and Jim said, “It’s a discussion, Drew, not a life sentence.”

Drew managed a smile at Jim’s attempt at humor.

Blair came walking out and said, “Miss Samantha is all clean and ready for some play time I would guess.”

“No, not yet. She’s going to be in on the discussion with us.”

Blair looked surprised and said as much, “What do you mean?”

“She’s old enough to know what rules are and what happens when they get broken. She needs to know what could happen to her if she did something we didn’t want her to do,” Jim explained.

“Okay, Sam honey, come sit down at the table. We’re going to have a family discussion,” Blair said.

Sam said down and said, “Oh goody, I love discussions.”

Jim asked, “Do you know what a discussion is?”

“No, but it must be fun because Max and Drew are here too. They only do fun things.”

Jim looked at Sam and saw the innocence and wasn’t sure what to do about it.

“Sam, sometimes people do things they aren’t supposed to and they get in trouble. Do you understand what I mean?” Blair asked.

“Like if I said I was going to clean my room and I didn’t, you would be angry with me,” Sam answered.

“Exactly. Now what happens when Drew goes somewhere at night and doesn’t come home when he supposed to?” Blair asked.

“Drew would never do that, because he is a good boy,” Sam said smiling.

“Drew, tell her what you did last night and tell her what almost happened,” Jim said.

Drew told her the entire story including the part about drinking for the first time and leaving with strangers and a pervert almost getting him. When he was done, they all looked at Sam to see what she would say.

“Drew, why would you do that? Daddy said you had to come home. Did you get a spanking?”

“No, I didn’t get a spanking, but dad and pop are going to make new rules for the house and I’m going to be in big trouble for a long, long while,” Drew answered.

“You’re lucky you didn’t get a spanking. Some kids get them. I bet they hurt. Daddy and poppy should have given you one because that man might have hurt you. We would cry forever if someone hurt you.”

Drew hugged her and said, “I think daddy and poppy should give me a spanking too. But they don’t do that. Instead they’re going to punish me.”

Sam thought about that for a moment and said, “What are you going to do to him, daddy?”

“We’re going to ground him. That’s when you take away something that means a lot to someone for two weeks and they have to think about what they did wrong,” Jim explained.

“I think he should still get a spanking,” Sam confessed.

“Sam, we don’t spank in this house,” Blair said.

“Maybe you should start. Drew wouldn’t have done that if he knew he was getting a spanking.”

Jim and Blair looked confused and didn’t know what to say.

Drew said, “Dad, I think she’s right. Maybe you need to hit me.”

“Drew, I’m not going to hit you. We’ll discuss things, but I don’t hit.”

“The entire evening scared the crap out of me, I think he needs a smack too,” Max added.

“We don’t hit or smack,” Blair replied.

“What new rules are we going to have?” Drew asked suddenly.

“First of all, when you want to go somewhere if it’s somewhere we don’t know, we have to check it out first. We fell down on our jobs last night and we could have paid dearly for that. We will check out everything and everyone you do things with from now on. If we say no, that means no. I don’t care how bad you want to do something, you can’t do it without our okay,” Blair said.

“Next there will be no story telling. Only the truth in this house. If you want to go somewhere you ask us and tell us the truth. If we say no, then so be it. But at least we all know we’re telling the truth. No more lies. No more sneaking around and no drinking while you’re underage ever again. Drew you should have called us and told us where you were and asked for a ride while you were still at that house. You wouldn’t have gotten in near as much trouble as you’re going to be in. You’re grounded for two weeks off the Wii. Max will continue to use it and you won’t even think about objecting to this punishment. That’s not all, don’t look so relieved. You won’t be going anywhere for two weeks except to Karate class and your cooking class. That’s it, buster. You’re home with us when you aren’t in school. Am I understood?” Jim said quite sternly.

“Understood,” Drew answered softly.

“Can I still go to Mary’s house and play sometimes?” Sam asked.

“Yes, but you have to ask us and we have to know where you will be at all times. You can’t leave grampa’s house once you get there for anything without telling us,” Blair answered.

“Oh and I almost forgot, Drew. No phone calls for two weeks. You’ll see your friends at school, but they can’t call you on your cell phone, text you or call the house. Understood?” Blair asked.

“Understood,” Drew said very unhappily with this new addition to the punishment.

“We will start to have more discussions about things as a family from here on. And now for our punishment,” Jim said.

“Your punishment?” Max asked.

“Yes, we let you boys down. We didn’t act like good parents at all, so we’re going to give a talk at your school about drinking and driving and what can happen. You have no choice in having us there and we don’t have a choice either. We have to do things differently now and this will be the start. I want all of your friends at school to know what can happen,” Jim said.

“Dad, that’s sort of embarrassing to have our dads give lectures at our school,” Max said.

Blair said, “Tough. It’s the way life is, so don’t even think you’re getting out of this.”

“But I didn’t do anything wrong,” Max whined.

“Max, this is one of those times where you just remember who the parent is. We’re doing it and you haven’t got any say in it. So better get used to it,” Jim said.

“Everyone is going to tease us,” Drew said.

“Drew, would you like another week added on to your punishment?” Blair asked.

“No, I’m good.”

“What do I get?” Sam asked.

“You get to be in charge of telling us when your brothers aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do,” Jim suggested.

“They always do what they’re supposed to do. I love my brothers.”

Drew and Max got up and hugged Sam tight. They loved their little sister too.

“We love you too, Sam,” Drew added.

“Okay, now it’s time for laundry day, so everyone bring me their dirty clothes,” Blair ordered.

They all took off in the directions of their hampers and got their clothes. Jim looked at Blair and said, “I think we did a pretty good job today.”

“I think we did too. Now we just need to stay tough with Drew. I can tell he’s going to push our buttons on this punishment thing.”

“We’ll stay strong Chief, don’t you worry.”

“I am worried. This is just the beginning. Gosh, I hope we get better at this as we go along,” Blair joked.

“Every month will get easier, I promise.”

Blair kissed Jim and then went in to help Sam get her clothing ready. Today was a good day. They were all together as a family and they were all safe.

The end

Family Life Part 65
Dropping By
By Patt

Word Count: 5036

Summary: Naomi is in town for a short while and the kids get a drop by visit. Will Jim find out what Blair knew all along about his mother?

Samantha was sitting out on the balcony, playing with her K’necs when she came rushing into the house and shouted. “Guess who’s here?”

Jim listened and heard Naomi down below so he knew. He smiled and said, “Your teacher.”

“No silly, it’s Naomi. She told me she was coming for a visit, but I didn’t know when. Let me go and tell my brothers,” Sam said quickly as she rushed up the stairs to tell Max and Drew that their grandmother was here.

“What in the world?” Blair asked.

“It’s going to be just fine, Chief. She loves the kids, so let’s let her spend time with them. It’s good for them,” Jim assured him.

Jim opened the door as Naomi was just about to knock and she said, “Haven’t I mentioned how much I hate when you do that?”

“It’s good to see you too, Naomi.” Jim laughed.

She hugged him and then saw her son and lit up like a bulb. “Blair, I’m so happy to see you.” She rushed to his side and hugged him so hard it almost took his breath away.

“Did you get my last letter that I asked you to come for the school play?” Blair asked.

“No, I didn’t get any mail that I know of. But then again, I didn’t check. I’ve been in Peru and it’s so beautiful there I had to come and tell you all about it. But first I want to see my grandchildren.”

Max, Drew and Sam came walking down the stairs at that very moment and Naomi grinned like crazy. “Oh my god, you kids are getting so big. I can’t believe how much you’ve grown since I was here last. I’m going to be here for a week and I’ve got some plans made. Blair and Jim, do you mind if I take the kids to Seattle on Saturday? There is a wonderful show opening from Peru and I promised the artist that I would bring my grandchildren to see her work. She’s fantastic. It would only be for the day, so you wouldn’t have to worry about us staying all night or anything. What do you think?”

Jim said, “Why don’t we get you a hotel near the art gallery and you can stay Saturday and Sunday?” He thought it might be nice for her to spend some time with the kids.

Blair looked at Jim like he was insane. “Mom, I don’t know how I feel about them leaving for a weekend. We’ll have to discuss this further.”

Jim said, “Chief, it’s one weekend out of the last six months, I think we can handle it.”

“How do you kids feel about it?” Blair asked.

“We would love to go with Naomi and we would keep a close eye on Samantha. We wouldn’t let her out of our sight. She would be safe with the three of us watching her,” Max promised.

“Jim, do you swear this is a good idea?” Blair asked.

“We’ll have to find out where the show is at and find a hotel close by. I want the kids to be able to walk to and from it if there was an emergency. And Max you and Drew will keep your cell phones charged and on your person at all times. Is that understood?” Jim asked.

Naomi smiled and said, “Here is the information about the show, Jim. Thank you for trusting me to take care of them.”

“You did a wonderful job with Blair, so I’m hoping the same thing will happen. They’ll have a good time and learn at the same time.”

Blair said, “The boys will have to check in with us at least three times a day while they’re gone, so we know everything is all right.”

“I swear, Blair, you’re worse then some old woman,” Naomi teased.

Max and Drew snickered, but stopped when Jim glared at them. “Naomi, he’s worried about them. You can’t blame us for being worry warts. This is our first separation. You have to promise you will do everything in your power to make this a wonderful and safe trip for them.”

“Can I borrow your SUV, honey?” Naomi asked Blair. “And of course I will make this a fun and safe trip for them. I’m going to stay at a hotel tonight and be back in the morning to take them. So are you certain I can use your SUV?”

“Of course you can. That would be a nice vehicle to travel in and it’s almost brand new. Chances of breaking something are slim,” Blair said.

“So what is the art show about?” Jim asked, finally realizing it might be something that wasn’t appropriate for the kids.

“She paints. They are paintings of the jungle with Spider Monkeys. They are quite beautiful. The children will love them. She has a large show of about 100 paintings. She’s been in Peru for about 18 months now. We’ll have dinner with her one night and everything. It’s going to be fantastic,” Naomi exclaimed.

“I can’t wait for tomorrow to get here,” Max said happily. “Can we go up and pack, now?”

Blair smiled. “Mom, what do they need to pack for the art show? What type of clothing do you want them to wear?”

“How about wearing Dockers and polo shirts for the boys and a dress for Samantha? Then nice clothing to wear that night when we go out for dinner,” Naomi said.

Jim said, “Come on guys, I’ll help you pack. Blair will you help Samantha pack her bag?”

“Sure will,” Blair answered.

Jim walked upstairs with the boys and he grabbed the suitcase down and set it on the bed, opening it to begin packing. “You boys have to swear to me that you’ll be extra careful and will never take your eyes off of Sam the entire time.”

“Dad, we promise. We’re looking forward to this and we don’t want anything happening to our little sister while we’re there. You don’t have to worry about a thing,” Max said solemnly.

Drew said, “Dad, I know I let you down a few weeks ago, but I learned my lesson. I’ll be so well behaved; you won’t know what to do.”

“Okay, I’m going to tell you one more time. You have to check in when you get there. You have to check in when you’re at the show. You have to check in when you get back to the hotel. Do you think you can remember all of the check in times?”

Max grinned and patted Jim on the back. “Stop being such a worry wart. Everything is going to go smoothly and we’ll be just fine. We promise to do our best at taking care of Sam.”

“I wonder if we should take jeans for the hotel, lounging and stuff,” Drew asked as he was looking through his drawers.

“Take a pair of jeans and a couple of tees and then take some sleep pants, because she’ll probably have you all doing yoga while she’s at the hotel. You’ll like it. You’ve seen pop do it many times,” Jim said.

Max said, “Drew, don’t forget underwear and socks. Take good socks and good shoes. We’ll wear our tennis shoes in the SUV for the trip up, but we don’t want to embarrass Naomi while we’re at the show.”

“You boys are doing just fine. Finish packing and then come on down stairs and we’ll talk a little more before its bedtime.” Jim walked down the stairs and realized his sons were truly growing up. Yes, Drew had screwed up once, but they all learned from that and Jim felt like they had to give them some growing room or they would be a mess.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair was helping Samantha pick out dresses, sleep wear, socks, undies and shoes. When he was done, she had enough for a week. “Mom, she’s got too much stuff packed. It’s a waste.”

“Blair honey, women never have too much stuff packed. She’ll wear everything, I’ll see to it that she changes a few times for the show. We’ll be back on Sunday at about 1:00, if that’s all right with you and Jim.”

“Honestly, Mom, I can’t believe he’s letting them out of his sight.”

“Blair honey, he knows that I did a good job with you. Even when I wasn’t trying you turned out really well. So the kids will be great with me. Don’t you worry about a thing.”

Blair finished packing her bag and then picked out her clothing to wear in the SUV the next day. Sam was super excited and was talking like crazy. Naomi just kept hugging her and kissing the top of her head.

“Blair, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy these children of yours. You and Jim are doing a wonderful job of raising them. I just want you to know that I do notice. Even if I don’t say it often enough, I love you all.”

Blair hugged his mom and said, “I love you too, mom.”

Jim walked in and said, “The boys were doing fine without me, so I decided to let them do it themselves.”

“Jim does it bother you that they’re growing up so fast?” Naomi asked.

“Not really. I’m content with the fact that soon they’ll be going to college and planning their adult lives. I couldn’t be happier about them growing up. Now Sam is another story. I want her to stay five forever.” Jim picked her up carried her out of the room.

Naomi looked at Blair and he said, “How are you doing with them growing up?”

“I’m with Jim on this one. I want her to stay little for a long, long while, but the boys will make excellent adults and we’re anxious to see them as such. We adore these kids, Naomi. Please promise you’re going to take very good care of them.”

Naomi hugged Blair tight and said, “I promise.”

“That’s all I can ask. Why don’t you sleep on the sofa in the living room tonight?” Blair asked.

“I have some calls to make and things to do tonight. So I’ll see them at 7:00 tomorrow morning. I thought we’d get an early start.”

“Wait a minute. Jim still has to find the hotel for you and make the arrangements.”

“Oh I guess that would be good, wouldn’t it?” Naomi laughed.

Blair felt panic rise and she must have seen it. “Blair, everything will be all right. Now let’s get Jim busy on finding the hotel for us.”

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim went upstairs with Sam and they looked at hotels and Jim found a great one down the street from where the art gallery was. He talked to the head person and found out it was in a very safe area in an up and coming part of town. Jim went ahead and paid for the two suite room. Naomi could share with Sam. Then the boys would have their own room. It was going to be fun for them. Jim printed up all of the information, the pictures they had at the sight and the address and directions. When he was done, he and Sam walked down the stairs as Blair was taking Sam’s bag to the front door.

Jim said, “Naomi, here is all of the information about the hotel. Its two blocks from the gallery. The suite is all paid for and here is some money for food.” Jim had taken money out of the safe upstairs so that Naomi would have plenty on hand. “And here is my extra Visa card. Use it wisely.”

“Oh my gosh you act like I wouldn’t have money. I have plenty of money to spend on my grandchildren, but I’ll have more if you pay for the room,” She said smiling.

Jim handed her the Visa card and then the envelope with the 500 bucks in it and smiled at her.

“Jim, I want to thank you again for letting me take the children with me. I know this hasn’t been easy for you.”

Jim hugged Naomi and said, “Why don’t you stay here tonight?”

“I already asked her and she has plans. So we’ll see her at seven tomorrow morning.” Blair hugged his lover.

The boys came walking down the stairs with their bag all packed and Jim said, “We still need to do up the bag with bathroom supplies.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” Max said laughing and Jim has his first real moment of unease.

“He’s kidding, dad.” Drew said laughing.

“Well, I’m going to take off for the night. I’ll see you all in the morning. Have fun dreaming about our road trip,” Naomi said as she walked to the door. Everyone hugged her goodnight and she left.

“We’re going to bed so we can get up early. We have our alarm set for 5:30,” Drew said.

“We’ll be up too, to see you off. It’s not like we would just stay in bed while she drove off with you,” Blair kidded.

Sam said,” I’m tired too. Could we read a book in my room, poppy?”

“Sure enough. Goodnight, boys. We’ll see you in the morning.” Blair walked into Sam’s room to read her a bedtime story. He was going to miss doing it on Saturday night. He already missed her and she wasn’t even gone yet.

Blair read to her and she fell asleep half-way through. He shut all of the lights off and then met Jim in the kitchen. “Are we going to bed now too?”

Jim smiled. “I was hoping we could.”

“I meant to sleep. We’ve got a big day coming up tomorrow. I want to be bright and ready for anything,” Blair said.

Jim said, “Well, I’m going upstairs to have fun with myself then.” He headed towards the stairs after he locked the front door for the third time that night.

“I swear you have OCD with locking the door over and over again.”

“I just worry about anyone coming in and getting to Sam. Sometimes I hate her room being on this floor. If I had to do it over again, I would put two rooms upstairs and make that the office again,” Jim said.

“Jim we would have no sex life with Sam next to us,” Blair pointed out.

“I know. That’s why I don’t have it done.” Jim walked up the stairs

Blair followed him rubbing his ass the entire way. Jim smiled because he knew he was going to get some. He was one lucky son-of-a-gun.

!!!!!!!!!!

At 5:30 the next morning, Sam woke Blair up and said, “You’re still sleeping. You told me to get up when the clock was on how old I am. It says 530. What time is that?”

“That’s what time we’re getting up. Are you ready for your big trip with Naomi?”

“You and daddy won’t miss us too much will you?” Sam said holding Blair’s hand.

“Sam, are you sure you want to go with them? If you wanted to stay home with me and daddy, you can. They can go by themselves,” Blair assured her.

“No, I want to go, poppy. I want to be with Max and Drew. They love me and I love them.”

Jim smiled at the talk Blair was having and got out of bed. It was time to make them breakfast.

Jim brushed his teeth, peed and washed his hands. Then he went in to make breakfast. He could hear the boys getting up and heading down to their bathroom.

Jim made pancakes, French toast and scrambled eggs for everyone. There was enough food for ten people on the stove when Naomi arrived at 6:30. “Oh Jim, you are such a dear. Now we don’t have to stop for breakfast. We can head right in to town and make our morning sight seeing,” Naomi said.

Everyone sat down and ate like they hadn’t seen food in a month. Blair didn’t know why he was so damned hungry, but he was.

Once breakfast was all done with, they all went in, brushed their teeth and got ready to go. The boys made up a bag with the toiletries in it and asked for Sam’s. Blair got them, added them to the boys’ bag and they were ready to go.

Jim hugged each child like they weren’t coming home again. He kissed all of them too. “Geeze, dad, we’re coming home tomorrow. It’s not like you’re never going to see us again,” Max teased.

“Hey, give your old dad a break. I just don’t like seeing my children leave without me. So shoot me.”

Then Blair gave them all hugs and kisses and no one teased him because he looked like he was going to cry. Then Blair hugged Naomi and said, “Guard them with your life, mom.”

“I will honey. See you tomorrow.” And like that, they were loading everything in the SUV and off they drove. Jim and Blair looked so lost and sad in the parking lot it was pitiful.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim was worrying as usual, when the phone rang and it was Max. “Dad, we just got to Seattle. We’re going to do some sightseeing and then check in to the hotel at 2:00. The art gallery opens at 5:00. So we’ll probably call you at two and at ten or eleven when we get back from the show.”

“Are you having fun so far?” Jim asked worriedly.

“Oh yeah, we’re having a blast. She’s telling us baby Blair stories and they are funny,” Max joked.

“Just remember that it’s your pop and that it’s not supposed to be make fun of pop weekend,” Jim said sternly.

Blair looked at Jim wondering what he was talking about. “Here, your pop wants to talk to you.”

Jim handed the phone to Blair. Blair said, “So what’s going on?”

“Naomi said you didn’t wear clothes for the first four years of your life. Is that true, pop?” Max asked.

Blair sighed and said, “No, that isn’t true. She’s exaggerating. Just ignore those dumb stories.”

“We’re going sightseeing and then checking into the hotel at two. Talk to you then. I love you, pop.”

“I love you, Max. Take care of the family,” Blair said before he hung up the phone.

He turned to Jim and said, “This is supposed to be off time for us. We’re supposed to be bopping like bunnies, right?” What are we doing wrong? I don’t feel like bopping and the idea upsets me.”

“The idea of bopping upsets you?” Jim asked.

“No, the idea that I don’t want to bop upsets me. We should be all over each other. Know what I mean?”

Jim got down on his knees and pulled Blair into him and unzipped his jeans, took out his cock and started to suck on Blair like crazy. Blair was getting into it pretty quickly and started thrusting into Jim’s warm, inviting, mouth. Before long he threw back his head and howled with his completion.

Jim licked him off and put him back in his jeans and said, “Next time, try not to worry so much about bopping.” Jim laughed as he zipped Blair back up.

Blair went down on his knees and did the same thing. But Jim was so close that he came almost immediately from being on the edge sucking on Blair. Jim was breathing good and hard when the phone rang. He pulled away from Blair and answered it. “Ellison.”

“Daddy, I wanted to say hello to you when Max called, so he said I could call you anytime I wanted to today.”

“That’s right, Sam, you can call us anytime you want to,” Jim assured her.

Blair almost laughed because Jim’s cock was lying limply outside of his jeans and looked like some type of pervert. Jim looked down to see what was causing Blair to laugh and frowned as he put himself back in his jeans.

!!!!!!!!!!

Naomi had taken them to the Space Needle and they loved it. They had gone to a park that was filled with ducks, swans and geese. They all had a wonderful time feeding the birds. Naomi told them it was time to check in and they left.

When they got to the room, Max said, “Wow, this place is pretty cool, right Naomi?”

“Only the best for my grandchildren.”

They all unpacked and got ready to go to the art gallery. Max called Jim really fast to tell him they were leaving the hotel. They didn’t talk too long because Naomi was telling them more stories.

By the time they got to the art gallery, it was open. Naomi said, “You’ll stay with me at all times, no matter what.”

“We understand, Naomi,” Max said.

“I’m just reminding you,” Naomi said as they walked in. She saw her friend and introduced her grandchildren to this wonderful artist. Her name was Becca Wood. The kids couldn’t believe how gorgeous the paintings were. It was like being right in the jungle. They were very true to life.

There were a lot of paintings to see and there was food and drinks and everything else. Sam was starting to get tired at about 9:00 and Max said, “Naomi, can we take Sam back to the hotel and we’ll just wait for you there?”

“I’ll walk you and then I can come back. You can watch movies and order room service. How does that sound?” Naomi asked.

“That sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you, Naomi.” Drew said.

“Come on, let’s get going before room service closes,” Naomi suggested. They all walked quickly back to the hotel. It had gotten rather cool and none of them had jackets with them.

When she deposited them in the room, she took off for the evening. Drew made sure the door was locked and bolted and then called Jim and Blair.

Blair answered, “Sandburg.”

“Oh I must have the wrong number, I was calling for my pop.”

“Very funny, Drew. Are you guys back at the hotel now?”

“Yes, Naomi brought us back, locked us in and she went back to the party. It was still hopping.”

“She left you there alone?” Blair asked.

“Pop, we’re almost grown. We’re fine, we’re going to watch a pay-per-view movie and order room service. She thought that would be fun for us,” Drew explained.

“What movie are you going to watch?” Blair asked.

“We were thinking about Kick-ass. Does that sound all right to you?” Drew wondered.

“No, that’s not all right. That’s a rated R movie and Sam is with you. She doesn’t get to watch rated R movies.”

“What about Alice in Wonderland?” Drew said.

“That would be fine. But probably boring for you boys. Isn’t there anything in between?”

“We’ll pick out something that isn’t rated R, how does that sound?”

“Sounds like a plan. Don’t open the door to the hotel for anyone. Understood?” Blair asked.

“Pop, we’re getting room service. We have to open the door,” Drew whined.

“All right, but be sure it’s them at the door before you open it.”

“Say goodnight to dad for us, okay? You sleep well, pop.” Drew hung up before Blair would think of anything else to bother them with.

!!!!!!!!!!

They ordered tons of food from room service and ate their little hearts out. Then Sam went to sleep on Max’s bed and Max and Drew were lying on his bed watching a movie on HBO. They kept hearing noises. Max finally got up and went to the door, put the bolt on and opened it to see if someone was out there. There stood Naomi, trying to get the key card to open the door. She was drunk, Max knew that much. “Oh Max, honey, will you open the door for us?”

“Us?” Max asked.

“I brought back Becca with me and we’re going to talk all night long,” Naomi said cheerfully.

Max opened the door, even though pop and dad had both said to only open it to Naomi. In walked Naomi, Becca and some guy. Naomi pointed in the direction of the room for Sam and her and said, “That’s my room. I’ll be in, in just a moment.”

“Where is Sam?” Naomi asked seeing both beds empty.

“She’s sleeping with us tonight, Naomi. She does that sometimes at home too.” Max said.

“Okay, well if you need me, we’ll be in the other room,” Naomi stumbled across the room and walked in and shut the door.

Max shut the door to their room and locked it.

“Drew, I think I need to call pop and dad and tell them this.”

“Who was that guy?” Drew asked.

“I have no idea, but I don’t want a strange man in our room during the night.”

“Yeah, call them and tell them what’s going on,” Drew advised.

Max picked up his phone and called.

“Ellison.”

“Dad, could you come and get us at the hotel?”

Jim jumped out of bed immediately and said, “Why?”

“Naomi is back. She brought Becca from the art show and some guy we don’t know. I don’t like the idea of having strangers around Sam or us for that matter.”

“We’ll be right there. Where is Sam now?” Jim asked as he dressed. Blair was beside him dressing too.

“She’s in bed with me. I won’t let anyone near her dad. I promise.”

“Good, now stay in the bedroom until we get there. I’ll call you on your phone when we’re outside the door. Keep that door locked.”

Jim hung up his cell and said, “I don’t know where my fucking brain was when I agreed to this. I should listen to you. You know your mother better then anyone else.”

“Jim, she wouldn’t let anyone hurt the kids.”

“Blair, she’s drunk and probably passed out. There is a stranger in the hotel room with our three children. I’m not a happy camper.”

They both rushed down the stairs after they printed out the directions again and took off for the drive to Seattle.

!!!!!!!!!!

An hour later, Max’s phone rang and it was Jim. “We’re outside the door. Open it for us.”

“Max and Drew opened the door and hugged the two men fiercely. “We’re so glad you’re here.”

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” Blair began getting some clothes on Sam. She was in pj’s and that wouldn’t work.

The boys got their bag and stuffed everything in it and then they were all ready to go. Sam was in Jim’s arms and Blair had a hold of Drew and Max. The boys knew that their dad’s were plenty upset.

They got down to the SUV and Jim got everyone settled in the back seat. The drive home was very quiet. Jim finally said, “Drew and Max, we’re really proud of you for using your head tonight. Your grandmother wasn’t using hers, that’s for sure.”

“We had a really good time, until then,” Drew admitted. “They were serving champagne at the party and she had quite a few of them.”

“That’s all fine and dandy, but there was a strange man and woman in our children’s room that didn’t belong there. This is unacceptable behavior,” Blair ranted.

The rest of the drive was silent. Jim didn’t want to say anything he couldn’t take back later. So he just shut his mouth.

An hour later, they were parked in the parking lot outside their house. They got the kids upstairs and put to bed for the night.

“Jim, I can’t believe she did this.”

“Blair, I should have listened to you. The next time, slap me in the face when I think I know something better then you do. You know how she is. You probably knew that she might do something like this.”

“I was afraid of this. She pulled this a number of times with me. And I was always scared. Thank God the boys called us and we could get to them quickly.

They climbed into bed and both of them knew it might be awhile before they slept. They were very angry.

The phone rang at 4:00 and Jim answered it.

“What?”

“Jim, have you heard from the kids?” Naomi asked sounding scared.

“Yes, Naomi, we picked our children up because they were scared to be in a hotel room with two strangers. Bring Blair’s car back tomorrow, but don’t expect him to talk to you. He’s one pissed off father.”

“I’m sorry, Jim. I drank too much and wasn’t thinking. I’m not used to drinking.”

“Naomi, I trusted you and you let me down. It won’t happen again.”

“Oh I would never do this again. The next time I’ll be sure to say sober,” Naomi swore.

Jim laughed and said, “Next time? You must be joking right? There will be no next time ever again.”

“I’ll see you both tomorrow and talk to you when you’ve cooled down. I think you need to meditate, Jim.”

“Meditate this, Naomi.” And Jim slammed the phone down as hard as he could.

Blair kissed his lover and said, “Calm down. We’ll get through this. We learned a hard lesson and it won’t happen again.”

“I love you, Blair.”

“And I love you, Jim. When she comes tomorrow, we’re just going to tell her what you did tonight. She has to understand what could have happened. And she didn’t even notice they were gone until four. God, I’m just embarrassed to say she’s my mom.”

“Go to sleep, babe. We’ll see things clearer in the morning.”

Blair went into Jim’s arms even more and they slowly went to sleep.

Things weren’t going to be fun the next day, but it was something that had to be done.

Fuck meditation.

And fuck Naomi.

The end

Family Life Part 66
Mothers
By Patt

Word Count:1741

Summary: Blair has to deal with his mother and isn’t happy about it.

Notes: This is just a short one to let you know that Blair didn’t just forget about his mom.

Jim woke up the following morning and went downstairs to make a nice breakfast for the kids and Blair. He knew that it was going to be a hard day for Blair. Having to tell your mother that you don’t trust her with your kids would be a hard call. But Jim and Blair knew that it had to be made.

While he was making the pancakes and putting them in the warming tray, Samantha came walking in.

“Daddy, I thought we stayed in another city last night.”

“Well, we had to come and get you and the boys because Naomi was acting like she was the child. So we had to bring you home. Max and Drew were quite upset with Naomi and you slept through the entire thing.”

“Oh no, are you mad at Naomi? Does this mean I don’t have a gramma anymore?” Sam was nibbling at her nails.

“No, it just means we won’t let you go anywhere alone with her. She doesn’t watch you like we would watch you,” Jim explained.

Max and Drew walked into the room and Max said, “Big breakfast for pop, right?”

“Yeah, your gramma is going to be here in a little while and I know it’s going to be hard for you pop to say the things he has to say. So let’s all try and make things easy for him this morning,” Jim suggested.

“I think I want to start calling her gramma,” Drew said.

Jim wondered what that had to do with anything. “Why?”

“Because I think she got confused with us calling her Naomi and thought we were good friends instead of being gramma and grandkids. She just got confused. She needs to know how to treat grandkids and friends differently. Don’t you think, Max?”

“Yeah, Drew, I agree with you. I hope pop doesn’t come down too hard on her, because we love her and all. We just don’t want to be in her care,” Max agreed.

Blair came walking into the kitchen and said, “That’s what I’m going to tell her today, Drew. She has to realize how you treat your grandchildren and you might be on something with the name business. Call her gramma from now on and we’ll see if that doesn’t help fix things a little. But I want you all to know that you’re not to go with her without our permission. If she stopped by for no reason while we were at work, you have to say no. My mom is too flighty to take on the care of three kids. And we love you too much to have something happen to you.”

“Everyone sit down for breakfast, it’s ready,” Jim called out over his shoulder.

They all ate well and then helped Jim clean the kitchen up. Even Sam helped with loading the dishwasher. And as usual as soon as she left the room, Jim reloaded it to make him happy. This made Max and Drew smile like crazy.

Blair went in and sat down to read the paper and there was a knock on the door. Max grabbed Sam and said, “Come on, you can play Wii with us.” Sam went along with her brothers happily.

They all took off up the stairs and Blair felt bad for them. He knew they felt guilty about everything happening. They always blamed themselves first.

Blair opened up the door and his mother stood there looking sad. “Blair honey, I’m so sorry about last night.” She hugged him close to her but he didn’t hug her back.

“Come in and sit down, Mom,” Blair said as he shut the door and moved into the living room. Jim joined him on the sofa and Naomi sat on the love seat across from them.

“I know you’re angry with me. I drank some champagne, which I’m not used to doing and I don’t even remember what happened. I promise I’ll never do that again,” she explained.

“Oh mom, there will never be a next time. I wouldn’t let you take our kids to the grocery store right now. You’re too damn wild. I knew this and still let them go, so it’s partly my fault. I was hoping that you had changed as you got older, but you’re still the happy go lucky person you were when I was a kid. I didn’t like it then and I like it even less now when I have children to raise.”

“So you’re telling me because I screwed up once, I never get my grandchildren again?” Naomi was getting angry now.

“That’s what I’m saying, mom. We would never trust you again. Sad, but true. The boys were scared and they don’t even scare that easy.”

“What in the world were they scared of? I was there. I would have protected them,” she insisted.

“Naomi, you didn’t even know the man that was in the hotel room with you. And why were a couple in your hotel room anyway? What were you doing? What were you thinking?” Jim decided to say something too.

“Honestly, Jim, I passed out so I don’t know what happened, but when I woke up, I would have cared for them. You know this, right?”

“Naomi, what if that man had gone into the room with our children? You didn’t know him from Adam. He could have hurt our children or taken them for all you knew. You were too busy being drunk. You always give lectures to Blair about drinking beer now and then so I don’t ever want to hear another lecture come out of your mouth about drinking,” Jim growled.

“Blair honey, you can’t mean this. I won’t be able to see my own grandchildren?”

“Mom, you can see them whenever you like. But it has to be with us around. They were scared and I won’t let something like this happen again.”

“And by the way, Naomi, the kids decided they are calling you gramma from now on. Max and Drew think that you treated them as friends when they called you Naomi. They wanted a grandmother, not a friend. They have friends,” Jim pointed out.

“I don’t want to be called gramma.”

“Then don’t come and visit, mom.”

“Jim talked you into this didn’t he? He’s always been controlling, but I didn’t realize how much,” Naomi spat out.

“Mom, I wanted to go in and wake you up last night and slap you senseless, but he wouldn’t let me. He said it would be better when I was cooled off. So I listened to him. He doesn’t control me, he advises me sometimes as I do him. Don’t try turning this around on Jim. It’s not his fault you were a flake with our children.”

“Well, I never…”

“That’s the problem, you never think before you talk or act. It was pitiful when Max and Drew called because they didn’t know the man and woman that you brought home from the gallery. They could have been big time perves for all you knew, but you didn’t care. You were there to have fun,” Blair was angry now. He got up and started pacing the floor in front of Naomi.

“Blair, remember all of the places I took you? Did you ever get hurt?” Naomi wanted to know.

“No, I lucked out. There was always one good grown up around to help me out. So luckily I wasn’t hurt. But there were many times where I wanted to run like crazy and find another home.”

“So I can’t take the kids to the mall today and out for lunch?” Naomi asked.

Jim stood up and said, “Not today, Naomi. Not today.” Jim walked into the kitchen and Blair knew Jim was upset about everything, especially his lover being left with strangers when he was a child. This was news to Jim. So Blair knew he wouldn’t take it well.

“Can I at least see them?” Naomi asked.

“Mom, I think that you should give them a few days. They took off upstairs when you knocked on the door. They feel like they ratted you out, and they shouldn’t have to worry about something like that, should they?”

Naomi looked like she was going to cry. “Blair, I just want to hug them and tell them I love them.”

“Mom, you have a screwy way of showing that to them. Give them four or five days and then come back. They need time,” Blair suggested.

“Here are your keys to your SUV. Thank you for the loan. I don’t know when I’ll see you again, sweetie. I probably will go back to Peru.”

Blair took the keys and smiled at her. “Have a good time, Mom.” Blair hugged her goodbye and walked her to the door. Jim didn’t come out of the kitchen and Blair didn’t push him on it.

When Blair shut the door, Jim came around the corner and pulled Blair into his arms. “I’m sorry, Chief. Things shouldn’t have to be this hard.”

“No, they shouldn’t. But we’re going to have a great week. We’re going to find something fun to do for next weekend. We’re going to make it up to the kids. Maybe we could plan a nice camping trip,” Blair said.

“It’s starting to get pretty cool at night for camping. If we camp outdoors anyway. If we go in the cabin, that’s a different story,” Jim added.

“We’ll figure out what to do, but let’s take the kids to a movie today and out to eat for dinner. It’ll be a good day for them. I know that Drew and Max feel guilty for tattling on my mom. We have to make them feel good about everything. Okay?”

“I love you, Chief.”

“And I love you.”

They kissed for a few minutes and then Blair said, “Find a movie that we can all see together as a family.”

“How about The Expendables?” Jim teased.

“Get serious, I want something that’s not going to warp them for life,” Blair joked back.

They went upstairs to find something on the computer and plan their day out.

Things were going to be fine. The kids were fine. Life was fine. It got a little topsy turvy but it was back to normal again.

The end

Family Life Part 67
Drip, Drip, Drip
By Patt

Word Count: 3280 and this doesn’t include the recipes at the end.

Summary: Something is keeping Jim up at night and it’s not Blair.

Notes: Thank you to Bee for the suggestion for this story. I’m having fun with all of them. 

Jim laid upstairs ready to scream. He could hear a drip somewhere in the house, but he was yet to find it. When he asked Blair to listen for it, Blair did and fell asleep. Jim wished he could do the same damn thing. He was exhausted. He couldn’t find the leak anywhere during the day. But at night when all was quiet he could hear it quite well and it was driving him insane. He was going to have to figure something out because even when Blair turned on the white generating noise machine, Jim could still hear it. Blair accused him of imagining it, if anyone could believe that. The kids thought he was nuts. Blair thought he was nuts. Hell, even Jim thought he was nuts. But something was going to have to be done and that’s all there was to it. Jim needed a plan. He was going to ask Blair about it the next day even if it meant Blair was going to laugh all the way to work and back. Jim didn’t care. He was desperate.

Jim put the pillow over his head and still heard, ‘drip, drip, drip’ and he sighed rather loudly until Blair woke up.

“Jim, I’m going to kick your ass if you don’t get to sleep. You’ve woken me up three nights in a row. One of us needs to get some sleep. It’s going to be me. Don’t wake me up again.”

“Chief, you still don’t hear it?” Jim asked once again.

Blair lay there and listened and said, “Nope, don’t hear a damn thing other then my clock ticking beside the bed. How about if I put some music on to help you sleep? You know Robert Cray Band always helps you sleep.”

Jim looked at him as if he was insane. “No, Robert Cray Band gets me in the mood for fucking, but it doesn’t put me to sleep. Speaking of that, want to fool around since we’re both awake?”

“No Jim, I want to sleep. Now leave me alone. The next time you wake me up to listen to a non-existing drip, I’m going to make you sleep in the tub. I mean it.”

Jim moved up to Blair and pushed his hard-on up against Blair’s leg and Blair said, “God, I don’t believe it. You’re horny all the time. Even when you can’t sleep you’re horny. Does the drip make you hard or something?”

Jim pulled away from Blair and looked hurt. “No… I couldn’t sleep so I was thinking about you. Then I was thinking about us fucking and the next thing I knew I was hard. So shoot me.”

“Don’t temp me, Jim. We are not fucking at 3:00 in the morning. I need more sleep then this. Leave me alone. I beg of you,” Blair pleaded.

“Fine, I’ll go make my rounds of the sinks and try and find the leak again,” Jim said sounding quite annoyed.

“Jim, if you get out of this bed once more tonight, I’m not letting you back in for a week. I mean this. Now go to sleep.” Blair pulled the pillow over his head and started mumbling about stupid Sentinels and Jim just smiled.

Jim kissed Blair’s shoulder and Blair pulled the pillow off his face and said, “I just know you aren’t going to try and still get sex.”

Jim went over to his side of the bed and turned his back to Blair. Blair was all right with this, because he wanted to sleep. Now if he could just get ‘back’ to sleep he’d have it made.

Jim lay there listening to the drip for another two hours and then fell asleep at 5:00. The alarm went off at 6:00 and Jim wished he was dead.

!!!!!!!!!!

“Yeah, Jim thinks we have a leaky faucet somewhere and he can’t figure out where,” Blair was telling Connor.

“What do you mean you can’t figure it out?” Connor asked somewhat baffled.

“He can’t figure out which faucet it is and during the day it doesn’t seem to leak,” Blair told her.

“Why don’t you put a towel in the sinks before you go to bed? The one that is damp in the morning is the one with the leak.”

“God, Connor, I can’t believe we didn’t try that. He’s tried everything else, that’s for sure. I’ll tell him about that now,” Blair said as he walked over to Jim’s desk.

Jim looked up and said, “I heard. We’ll try it tonight and see if that works.”

“Then all we need to do is find a good plumber,” Blair said.

“What are you talking about? I’ll fix the leak.”

“Jim, you can’t even ‘find’ the fucking leak. How could you fix it?” Blair knew it wasn’t nice to tease a man on such little sleep, but he couldn’t help it.

“I’ll have you know that I’ve been doing my own plumbing work for years. I haven’t called a plumber since…”

“Jim, Jim, Jim. Don’t you know that you should never do home repairs yourself? You should always have them done for you, so you can call them up again if something doesn’t work right. If you fix it, you’re still stuck with the same problem as you started with. We’ll hire it done.”

“Blair, Blair, Blair. No we won’t hire it done. I’m fixing the fucking leak if it’s the last thing I do.” Jim walked off to the break room for more coffee and Blair just smiled.

Blair knew it might be the last thing he did, if Jim kept waking him up every night like he had been doing.

Simon walked by and said, “Both you and Jim look like you haven’t slept in weeks. What’s the problem?”

“It’s Jim,” Blair answered shortly.

“What’s he done now?” Simon asked.

Blair told him what was going on and Jim came and sat down at his desk and Simon started laughing. “Jim, you do know that you can hire someone to figure out where the leak is, right?”

“Simon, thank you for your concern but I’m going to find it and fix it myself.” Jim started to work on his file and Simon walked away laughing out loud.

Blair looked over at Jim and saw the hurt look on his face and felt bad for a moment. Then he remembered how tired he was and laughed along with Simon.

This was like war. Jim knew he had to do it and do it correctly, now. He would show them.

!!!!!!!!!!

When the guys walked into the loft, Max said, “Man you guys look beat. Want me to make dinner?”

“That would be so nice, Max. Why don’t you ask Drew to help? I would appreciate a little nap before we eat. I’m exhausted,” Blair said.

“Is dad still waking you up all night about the leak?” Max asked trying not to smile.

“You know there is water leaking somewhere in this house and when I find it and fix it you’re all going to have to eat your words,” Jim said as he sat down in the living room to pout.

Max went to get Drew to help with dinner. Sam came walking out of her room and said, “Daddy did you find the leak yet?”

Blair couldn’t help it, he laughed. Jim was pissed. “No sweetie, not yet. Would you like to help me find the leak after dinner?”

“Sure. I’m just in my room doing my homework right now. Can we start looking right now?” Sam asked.

“Sweetie, I don’t hear it right now. It’s only at night when I hear it,” Jim explained.

“So it only leaks while we sleep?” Sam asked.

“I don’t know, Sam. We’ll look after dinner and see what we can find,” Jim assured her.

“Okay, daddy. I’m going to finish my homework and then I’ll help you.”

“Thank you, pumpkin. You’re much nicer than poppy who keeps laughing at daddy.”

“Max and Drew laugh at you too, daddy,” Sam informed him.

Max said, “Sorry dad. We’ll try and keep it to ourselves from now on.”

“I’m going to lie on the sofa until dinner is done. Let me know when it’s time to eat,” Jim said grumpily.

Blair was upstairs listening as he was trying to sleep and almost laughed when Sam had told him that the boys were making fun of him too. But he didn’t. Instead he went to sleep in about two seconds flat.

!!!!!!!!!!

“Dad, it’s time to get up. Dinner is on the table,” Max said as he gently woke Jim. Max had hated waking the poor man up, because he knew that Jim was getting no sleep at all.

“Thanks, Max. I’m starving. I only had a candy bar today,” Jim got up, went into the bathroom and washed his hands. Just seeing the damn faucet pissed him off all over again.

Drew was upstairs waking Blair up and he hated waking his pop up too. “Pop, it’s time for dinner.”

“Thanks, Drew. I’ll be right down,” Blair answered and followed Drew down the stairs.

As they all sat down to dinner, Blair noticed how exhausted Jim really looked. It was time to stop teasing the poor man.

“Dinner is excellent, Drew and Max. Thank you so much for doing this for us. It’s nice having teens in the house,” Blair said.

“Most people don’t admit to liking teenagers too much,” Drew said smiling.

“Well, we do. We’re lucky we’re stuck with you two,” Jim said seriously.

“Hey, what about me? Are you lucky to have me?” Sam wondered.

“Yes, honey, we’re thrilled to have you. You’re a big help too,” Blair admitted.

They all ate and talked about their days at school and at work. Jim finally started to clean the table and Drew said, “We got it, dad. You and pop go and watch the news and chat with Sam.”

“Thanks, boys, everything was wonderful. I love stuffed pork chops,” Jim confessed happily.

“The Zucchini and Asparagus Casserole was fantastic as well. It went nicely with the chops, “Blair added.

“Thank you, we had a good time making them. Did you like them Sam?” Drew asked.

“I love them. I love meat,” Sam said.

“You take after daddy, he loves meat too.” Blair smiled at all of them and went in to sit down to watch the news.

“It’s good to eat meat, huh daddy? That way maybe we can find the leak and fix it for poppy,” Sam said.

Blair had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing, but Max and Drew laughed all the way into the kitchen.

Jim sat down on the sofa next to Blair and said, “Everyone laughs at me. I don’t even know why I try?”

“Jim, we should call a plumber and have him take care of it.”

“Blair, give me a few days to find the leak.”

“Whatever makes you happy, but if you wake me up tonight, I’m not going to be nice.”

Jim said, “You were nice last night? I don’t think so.”

“Jim, I wanted to kill you, so yes I was nice last night. That would be this morning, not last night.”

“Whatever. I’m going to find this damn leak if it kills me.”

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim got up an hour later and found Sam. She followed him around as he listened in the walls and under the sinks.

“Daddy, there aren’t any faucets in the wall. Why are you listening to the wall?”

“Sam, sometimes there are leaks in the walls and I’m just making sure I don’t hear the leak anywhere in those walls. We need to make sure there isn’t a huge leak somewhere we can’t see,” Jim said.

After about an hour, Sam said, “Can I go and watch some tv in my room? I’m done with my homework and this is boring, daddy.”

“Sure, go ahead. Jim continued to listen to the walls and under the sinks until it was time to give Sam her bath for the evening. Jim went and got her and helped her get into the tub. He poured the bubbles into the already filling tub and Sam squealed with delight.

Blair stood in the doorway and asked, “Need any help, Jim?”

“I think I can handle this, Chief.”

Blair walked upstairs to see if the boys needed any help with homework. He knocked and heard Max say, “Come in.”

“Boys, do you have your homework done for tonight?”

Drew was the first to answer. “I got mine all finished and put in my backpack already.”

“So do I,” Max agreed.

Jim came up carrying Sam and said, “Someone wanted to say goodnight.”

“You’re going to bed already, pop?” Max teased.

Sam said, “I’m going to bed silly. Daddy still has to find the leak.”

Both boys burst out laughing and tried to stop. But it was too late.

“Boys, get ready for bed, it’s almost bedtime,” Blair suggested.

They both went running down the stairs hoping to get away from the hurt look on Jim’s face.

Jim had Sam give smooches to her poppy and then tucked her in bed and read her a story. When she was sleeping, Jim walked in to the bathroom and got ready for bed himself. He had decided that tomorrow he would call a plumber and that’s all there was to it. He was tired of being laughed at.

He heard the drip and groaned. “Fuck it, I’m finding this damn thing tonight.” Jim didn’t realize he had just said it aloud.

Jim started listening and realized it was behind the tub wall. He was going to have to pull the faucet out and see how much damage had been done by the leaking. He went to get his tool box and Blair just frowned as he walked by with it at 10:00 in the evening. Blair knew it was going to be another long night. Blair then heard Jim pounding on the wall in their bathroom and this worried him some.

Blair walked into the bathroom and saw that Jim had a hole in the wall behind the pipe that led to the tub faucet. Blair didn’t even know what to say. It was quite the mess.

“Jim, what in the hell are you doing?”

“I found the leak. I found it. It was easy once I set my mind to it. Now I just need to repair this pipe leading to the faucet. It’s leaking below, so this could have been major damage if we wouldn’t have taken care of it now.” Jim seemed quite proud of himself and very, very pleased.

“Turn the water off in here and we’ll wait until morning,” Blair advised.

“I’m going to try and get it done tonight before I go to bed,” Jim answered.

“Jim, it’s ten o’clock. Let’s let everyone sleep tonight and you can do it tomorrow on your day off. How does that sound?”

“Yeah, I guess I could do that,” Jim replied.

Jim shut the water valve off in the tub and then got ready for bed. He was happy as hell that he had found the leak. Now to get it fixed. He was going to show everyone. They wouldn’t be laughing tomorrow.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim woke up at 4:00 in the morning and heard water dripping, no more like gushing and got out of bed to check and see what was going on. When he got downstairs, he walked into the bathroom and the tub was filling with water leaking from the pipe that was exposed. Jim sighed and wondered what he had done to deserve this. Then he saw that the pipe was leaking in the wall too. He was going to have to shut the water off in the house to fix this. So that’s what he did and began to chip away at the wall and get closer to the pipe problem. He didn’t even notice how fast the time was flying by. It had been almost over two hours. He was so into it, he didn’t even hear Blair walk into the bathroom.

“Oh my God, Jim, what have you done?”

Jim jumped when he heard Blair’s voice and knew he had been caught red-handed. “I’ll get it fixed, don’t you worry.”

Blair used the bathroom and then flushed the toilet and no water filled the bowl back up again and he said, “Jim did you shut the water off in the house?”

“Yeah, that’s the only way to fix this mess.”

“Jim, they have to get ready for school. What do you suggest we do? Go to the neighbors?” Blair asked sarcastically.

Jim tightened the pipe that he was working on and the damn thing stripped and he knew he had fucked up big time. He laid his head against what was left of the wall in the tub area and just stayed there.

“Jim, do you want me to call the plumber now?”

“Yes, I just stripped this and I can’t fix it. I need help,” Jim confessed.

Blair went into the kitchen and called the plumber they had had to call once and talked to him for a short period of time. Blair walked into the bathroom and said, “He said not to turn the water on in the house because it could damage the wall even more and flood the bathroom. So I guess we’ll call Daryl downstairs and see if we can use his bathroom today.”

Jim sat dejectedly on the side of the tub with his head in his hands. “I honestly just wanted to fix it myself. I wanted to show you that I knew what I was doing.”

“But Jim, you’re not a plumber, why would you think you’d know how to do it? Do you think a plumber knows how to shoot a killer or stop a suspect from hurting someone?”

“No…”

“There you go. He doesn’t try and do your job, so you shouldn’t try and do his. Now let’s get the kids up and get them down to Daryl’s one at a time. You call Daryl while I get the kids up.”

Jim went into the kitchen and dialed Daryl’s number and asked if they could all come down there one at a time and take showers. Daryl of course said yes. Then they took their turns and got ready for school. Jim and Blair were off that day, so they could await the arrival of the plumber.

Max drove everyone to school and Jim and Blair were left to wait for the good or bad news about the leak.

“Jim, the next time you hear a leak in the wall, I want you to call a plumber right away. If you can hear it leaking, that’s bad. Understood?”

“Yeah, it’s understood. I’m sorry I was so stubborn. I really wanted to do it myself,” Jim said shamefully.

“We’ll see how much it’s going to cost to put the wall back up and the tile. He might give us a good price to do it,” Blair said.

“I think we could do it ourselves, Chief.”

“Jim, did we learn nothing here today?” Blair ranted.

“You’re right. We’ll have it done and see that it’s done by professionals. Sorry,” Jim said.

“Now you’re talking,” Blair said happily.

The end
___________________________________
BAKED STUFFED PORK CHOPS

6 rib pork chops (1 1/2 inch thick, each about 3/4 lb.)
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. butter
Salt to taste
1 c. white wine, apple juice or cider

STUFFING:

4 slices day old bread
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. butter
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1/2 c. dark raisins (optional)
1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves

Make stuffing. Cut bread into 1/4 inch cubes. In 1/4 cup hot butter in large skillet, saute onion and celery, stirring until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add bread cubes; stir to combine. Remove from heat. Add parsley, raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, marjoram and pepper; cut a pocket in each pork chop.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using sharp paring knife, cut a pocket in each pork chop, all the way to the rib. Fill pocket with stuffing; fasten with 2 wooden picks. Coat chops on both sides with flour-salt mixture.

Heat butter in large skillet. Brown chops well on both sides, about 10 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet. Add juice, wine or cider to skillet. Stir over medium heat to dissolve browned bits. Pour into bottom of roasting pan. Stand chops in bottom of pan. Cover with foil. Bake 1 hour. Remove from oven; discard wooden picks. Bake chops, uncovered, 40 minutes or until tender. Serves 6.

ZUCCHINI AND ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE

1 medium zucchini
1 8 oz. pack Kraft Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Asparagus soup, undiluted
1/2 cup UNCLE BEN’S® rice, partially cooked and drained
small amount fresh onion and/or garlic (or onion and garlic salt)
salt and pepper
parsley flakes
sweet basil flakes

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Peel, remove seeds, and dice zucchini to bitesize pieces. Mix all of the above ingredients in a casserole dish seasoning with salt, pepper, basil, parsley, garlic and onion as desired (or to taste).

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

This meal is quick and easy to prepare.

Family Life Part 68
The Stalker
By Patt

Word Count: 4343

Summary: Max feels like someone is watching them.

Notes: Thanks to Bee for the idea. I didn’t want it to get too heavy, so this isn’t as serious as it could be. And then again, I’m just starting. It might be. 

Max was eagerly awaiting Jim and Blair to get home. He had something to discuss with them and wanted to talk to them in private. So as soon as Jim and Blair walked in the door, Samantha went running to them and gave hugs and kisses. Then Drew walked up and said, “How did you day go, dads?”

Max didn’t say anything and Jim was watching him like a hawk. He knew something was up. “Our day was fine. Anything new around here?”

“No, dad, it’s pretty calm. Max has been being a butt head all afternoon long, but other than that, we’re all fine,” Drew answered.

“Max, why are you being a butthead?” Jim asked.

“Could I talk to you in private?” Max said very seriously and even Blair took notice of this.

Blair smiled and said, “Come on upstairs with us and you can talk to us. Drew, how would you like to start dinner? Sam could help.”

“Sure, we’ll do that. See if you can give him his sense of humor back. He’s no fun whatsoever.” Drew took Sam and walked into the kitchen. He figured he could look and see what they had out for dinner and go with the flow.

Jim and Blair walked upstairs and were dreading talking to Max. Both men had a feeling it was something bad.

“Sit down and talk to us,” Jim said.

Max sat down on the chair by the dresser and said, “How do you know if someone is stalking you?”

Jim and Blair looked at each other and didn’t know what to say. They were expecting a million things to come out of his mouth, but that wasn’t one of them. “What do you mean, stalking you?” Blair asked.

“I’m not sure, but I think someone is following us. I see him in the shadows and in a car that is way behind us every day. This has been going on for about four days now and I decided I might not just be acting weird, maybe there is someone following us.”

“You said you saw him in the shadows. Did you see a man?” Jim asked.

“I can’t swear to it, but I would say a tall man about your size dad. He’s always in the shadows when I look. We stopped and got ice cream today and I saw him in the shadows across the street watching us. Then when he saw me looking at him, he left. Just like that he was gone.” Max was very nervous. His poor little body was shaking and Jim and Blair both pulled him up out of the chair and hugged him. He accepted the hug gratefully and said, “What should I do?”

“Well, as of tomorrow, I’m going to have Connor on it. He won’t notice her so much and we have to be sure to tell Drew not to mention he sees her if he does. Now keeping Sam from saying hello to Connor is going to be a big problem. We’ll see how the first day goes and then we’ll plan it from there. Why didn’t you tell us the first day, Max?” Jim asked.

“I figured I had an overactive imagination. You know you just gave all of those stranger danger stories to Sam, so I figured I was just being panicky. I’m sorry I didn’t say anything right away. But yesterday I saw the shadow of a man and today I saw that same shadow. I could only see his eyes. They were spooky looking in the shadows,” Max admitted.

Blair said, “We’re going to call Simon about this tonight and have you watched day and night. We’re going to see who this is, because it could be someone after me or dad. We don’t want that to happen, so we’ll stay on top of it. But I don’t think we need to scare Drew and Sam yet. What do you think, Jim?”

“I think we need to tell Drew, but not Sam. It’ll freak her out and she won’t want to leave the house. But Drew is a good kid, he knows when to run and so forth, so we can get this guy caught and see what’s going on,” Jim replied.

“I’ll go downstairs and take over the cooking, and you can tell Drew, Jim. I’ll send him right up.” Blair walked down the stairs, shaking on the inside even though you couldn’t tell on the outside. Why was someone watching his family? Why was Blair so scared? He didn’t know anything about it yet, so it didn’t pay to get nervous or anything. Besides, Connor wouldn’t let anything happen to their family. He knew that much. And who would be watching out for a big pregnant woman to be the shadow of their children? He had to believe that everything would work out just fine. There was nothing else to think about except the good things.

He walked into the kitchen and said, “Drew, dad wants to see you upstairs for a moment. I’m going to take over dinner with Miss Samantha. Is that all right with you, Missy?”

“I’d love you to help me, poppy.”

Drew walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs without saying a word. He could tell Blair seemed upset about something. What was going on? When he got upstairs, Jim filled him in on what was happening and that he had to act like normal tomorrow when they got out of school. Jim said, “Do you ever feel like you’re being watched while in school?”

“No, I never have, but I do feel it when we get out of school. Do you notice anything, Drew?” Max asked.

“I didn’t, but I’m going to pay attention now. So a pervert is watching us?” Drew wondered.

“I don’t know, Drew. It could be someone that wants to hurt you kids, therefore I’m going to see about putting Connor on it. No one would look at a pregnant person and worry about being watched by her. She’s a perfect decoy. I want you to do the same thing you did today. Leave school, pick Sam up and then drive downtown for ice cream. Keep it exactly the same and Connor will be waiting on the other side of the street from the ice cream shop. Don’t be afraid, she would never let anything happen to any of you. All right?” Jim asked.

“We trust Megan. I feel better now that I told you. Drew, don’t be so worried, I won’t let anyone hurt you either. Remember, we do know some Karate. It’s not like we’re defenseless,” Max said hoping to calm his brother down.

“What if he’s after Sam?” Drew asked.

“Then we’ll get him, Drew. Don’t you worry, okay?” Jim assured them.

“Dad, I think we should do something different tomorrow, because he’s not going to expect us to do the very same thing. How about the Library tomorrow? I need to take some books back anyhow and Sam loves the library. There are all of those empty buildings across the street that could hide this guy and maybe Megan could find him,” Max suggested.

“Okay, change of plans you’ll go to the library. No where else. To the library and back home. Don’t let anyone out of your sight, Max,” Jim instructed. “And Drew, don’t stare across the street, because then he’ll know you see him. Try and not watch the street at all. Ignore him as much as you can.”

“How are we going to keep Sam under control? She likes to wander off now and then at the library,” Drew mentioned.

“Not tomorrow. Actually, not any day. If she can’t stay with you, she doesn’t get to go. I mean that, if she starts acting up, you tell her that you all have to leave. She might just shape up fine and dandy from then on.”

Max and Drew stood up and Drew said, “Okay, so you know that Megan will be our watcher?”

“I’m going to call her tonight. She and Mason are off tomorrow. I might have Mason be inside the library watching out the window while she’s across the street,” Jim said, “I’m going to call them now. You boys go ahead and do your homework and act like nothing is wrong. We’ll get this taken care of fast and easily. Wait and see.”

Jim stayed upstairs and called Connor’s home phone.

“Connor.”

“Hi, I need to ask you a favor,” Jim began.

“Sure, you know all you need to do is ask,” Connor answered.

Jim explained what was going on and what he needed the next day. She told Mason while she was on the phone with Jim. Mason got on the other extension and talked to Jim too. They worked it out so both of them would be there the next day. Connor swore they would guard the kids with their lives and Jim believed it. Connor was wild about these kids.

“Thank you, guys. Max said they would be at the library at about 3:30, so if you could work things out for then, that would be perfect,” Jim said.

Jim hung up the phone when they had worked it all out and put on his game face. He needed to look normal, not scared to death like he was.

Jim walked down the stairs and Blair was setting the table. Jim smiled at Blair and Blair whispered, “Did you call Megan?”

“Yes, I did. She and Mason are both off tomorrow and will be there. Mason is going to be on the inside and Connor is going to be in the shadows across the street. I told her to be very careful. I would die if something happened to her. That baby is just as important as our kids are. So I told her no heroics. She promised she would be good. Mason said he would be on top of everything. I believe that they’ll do a good job. If nothing else, they might just get a license number or make of car that we can start with.”

“Good, I feel better already. Although I would like to follow them myself,” Blair confessed.

Dinner was quiet for a change. Even Sam seemed to sense that something was off. She finally said, “Daddy, can you help me with homework when we’re done eating? I have a lot of it tonight and I need help.”

“Good Lord, how much homework could they give out in Kindergarten?” Blair asked.

“Yesterday afternoon she had quite a bit to do. It’s not like when we were in K or first grade. They’re way ahead of the game now,” Max said.

“Sam do you always tell your brothers thank you for helping with your homework?” Blair asked.

“Oh yes. I love my brothers. No one else has cool brothers like I do. They all have icky brothers,” Sam said making Max and Drew laugh and mess up her hair.

“I’m glad you love your brothers. They love you too. We have a good family, that’s for sure,” Blair said happily.

Jim got up and started clearing the table for dishes to be done. “Max, could you please close the drapes on the balcony door for me?”

“Dad, that would be a change that someone might notice,” Max whispered.

“Okay, just sit in the living room and do your homework. Pop and I are going to clean the kitchen and then I’m going to help Sam with her homework,” Jim said as he got things off the table as soon as he could. He didn’t want the boys in the living room by themselves for long anyway.

Blair was doing the dishes and said, “Sneak upstairs and get down on the floor and see if you see anyone watching the house through the window.”

“Okay.” Jim did just as he was asked. He went upstairs, got down to the floor and crawled to the window and peered out to see if he could see anything. It took awhile for his eyes to adjust. It was really dark. Then he saw him. There was a man across the street watching something. He would guess it was Max and Drew. Jim looked around to see if he saw a vehicle out of place but saw nothing. When he looked back at the person in the shadows, he was gone. Jim looked all over the place and didn’t see him anywhere. Then he saw a green SUV pull out of the parking lot across the street. Jim thought it might be him. He couldn’t see in, because he had limo tint on all of his windows.

Jim walked downstairs and went into the kitchen and told Blair about it.

“Did you get the license number?” Blair asked.

“No, he was facing an odd direction, I wouldn’t have seen it no matter what. But it was a green SUV. We’ll check and see if we can find anything out on the computer tomorrow,” Jim said.

“Jim, it’s not like we can put in a green SUV. There would be thousands.”

Jim thought for a moment and said, “It looked like a GMC. I think that’s what it said on the hood ornament. That would help, wouldn’t it?”

“Yes, that narrows it down. Now if Megan and Mason find something tomorrow we’ll have it made,” Blair said as he closed the dishwasher and started it up.

“Let’s help the kids with their homework,” Jim said.

“Sounds good to me. It’ll take our minds off of everything,” Blair agreed.

!!!!!!!!!!

When everyone was in bed for the night, Jim double checked the locks on the windows and the doors. He wanted their home to be super safe. With his hearing, the chances of anyone getting in would be slim to none.

He got upstairs and undressed and climbed into bed with Blair. Blair held on for dear life. “Jim, I’m so scared. I called Simon and told him what was going on. He said we need to file a report tomorrow and if Connor doesn’t find anything tomorrow, then they’ll send Rafe and Brown the next day. He told me not to worry, like that’s at all possible.”

Jim kissed Blair and they kissed for a long, long while. “What’s that about, Jim?”

“I’m scared.”

“Me too,” Blair said.

“I don’t want to go to work tomorrow, but I know that he’ll leave if we’re with them. So we have to play it by the book. Tomorrow Mason and Connor and the next day Rafe and Brown.”

“Do you think it might be someone that wants to hurt us because of something we did to them?” Blair wondered.

“It doesn’t pay to speculate, because we have no fucking idea. Let’s try and get some sleep and then we’ll go from there,” Jim said as he pulled Blair in for one final kiss.

!!!!!!!!!!

The next day, Jim and Blair didn’t go out on any calls. They wanted to be near the phones if something came up. Everyone in the bullpen had been told about the situation and they were all willing to take shifts and find the fucker.

At 3:30 Jim and Blair just kept looking at the clock. At 4:30, the phone rang and Jim answered, “Ellison.”

“Dad, we’re heading home. Megan found someone and she said they’re bringing him into the station. So she said it’s safe for us to go home now. We’ll see you later.”

“Be careful, Max. We don’t know that it’s who we think it is yet. So drive careful and get right into the house. Call me when you get home,” Jim instructed.

“Okay, dad. Stop worrying so much, okay? We’re fine.”

Jim hung up the phone and said, “Mason and Connor are bringing someone into the station. We’ll see if any of this pans out. It might be the wrong person and Connor over-reacted.”

“No, she wouldn’t have done that, Jim. She knew how important this was to us and the kids. She would have made sure before she cuffed someone.

At 4:45, the elevator doors opened and out walked Mason and Connor with a man that Jim didn’t recognize at all, but from the look on Blair’s face, he could tell his partner knew just who he was.

Blair got up and started for him but Jim reached him first and stopped him. “Chief, let’s let they start to question him first. In the meantime, I want you to fill me in on who this is,” Jim advised.

Blair listened to his lover for a change and walked into the break room. Jim followed, while Mason, Connor and Simon walked into interrogation room 1 with the man.

As soon as Jim entered the room, Blair shut the door. “Jim, he’s someone I used to see before you. He was always jealous of me and you and said as much but I never thought he would become a stalker. Honestly, I don’t know why he was watching the kids. He said he wanted to be with me and have a family, but that’s the one and only time we discussed kids. I told him I was in love with you and he didn’t take it well.”

“You were dating this guy while we were dating?” Jim asked shocked to his very core.

“No…I had broken up with him and then you and I started dating. So no, he was never between us. Ever.”

“I beg to differ. He was watching our children, Blair. What was he doing that for?” Jim asked.

“Jim, I don’t know. I haven’t seen him in four years. So cut me some slack,” Blair snapped.

“I’m sorry, Chief. I just don’t understand why he’s watching our children. You I could understand, but not our kids. Did he ever seem weird about kids or anything?”

“You mean, did I think he was a perve? Yes, I thought so. That’s why I stopped dating him. He was very strange and I didn’t want to be part of his little show.”

“Let’s go see what he has to say for himself,” Jim said as he opened up the door and walked out, not waiting for Blair.

Blair knew that Jim was going to blame him. It was in his nature to be insecure and this would have made him totally insecure. Blair hated John and was sad that this came up so that Jim had to be upset by it all. Blair followed Jim into the hallway to watch John answer questions.

Simon nodded at Jim and Blair when they walked up.

“He won’t even give us his name,” Simon said.

“John Adams,” Blair said.

“You know him?” Simon asked.

“I dated him four years ago and the break wasn’t a good one. I hadn’t heard from him, so I never gave him another thought. But I guess he could have been watching us for some time. Why not let me go ask the questions. It might be easier.”

“Okay, but I don’t want you hitting him or screaming at him. Just ask questions and see if he’ll give you any answers,” Simon barked.

“Yes, sir,” Blair replied as he opened the door and walked in.

“Hello, Blair.” John said.

“Hello, John. What are you doing here today?”

“These two cops picked me up for standing across from the library, minding my own business. I wasn’t doing anything,” John answered.

“Then why don’t you talk to them? Why did you have no Id on you? Why are you watching my children?” Blair asked softly.

“I walked, so I didn’t need my license. I didn’t want to talk to them because they’re asses. And I don’t even know who your children are,” John said.

“John, do you drive a green GMC?” Blair asked and watched as the color drained from John’s face.

“So what if I do?”

“You have been seen watching our children and following them after school. We’re charging you with stalking. And judges aren’t kind to stalkers when it comes to kids. Why were you stalking our children?”

“Do you think you can just get rid of someone that easily? Do you think that I didn’t matter at all? Do you ever think about the family we could have had. I mean a real family, not some adopted shits,” John answered.

“John, how do you know they’re adopted?” Blair asked softly.

“Blair, this should have been our family. Not his and yours. We belong together, you and I. I only wanted what belonged to me. And if I couldn’t have what belonged to me, I would take away what had made you happy. Believe me it wouldn’t have hurt my feelings to kill them all. Especially the little girl, she was quite annoying. You didn’t do a very good job raising her, Blair.”

Blair was in shock. Did John realize what he had just said? “So you were planning on killing them today?”

“If I could get them away from the tallest one. He’s a pain in the ass. He watches all of them like hawks. He’s annoying too,” John said.

“He’s only 16 years old, John. He’s a kid. Of course he was watching them like a hawk. You were tailing him and he saw you.”

“The shit was too busy listening to his loud, obnoxious music to notice me believe me. If he said he noticed me, he was lying. This doesn’t surprise me at all. They look like little liars.”

“So what had you planned for today?” Blair asked knowing that Jim was outside the door, wanting to kill this man.

“I planned on abducting them first and seeing if I could talk you into raising them with me. Ellison was always a shit head and you know it. I don’t know why you ended up with him, but it’s insane.”

“So you planned on kidnapping them today, but not killing them?” Blair asked as he wrote everything down.

“It all would have depended on what you said to me. I was going to call out of the blue and ask you out and if you said yes, they could live, if you said no, they would die.”

Mason and Megan looked each other in horror. Today could have been their last day in this world if Max wouldn’t have watched things so closely. Megan shivered and wanted to kill this man.

“John, you do know that you’re going to be charged with attempted kidnapping, attempted murder and stalking, right?” Blair asked.

“Do you miss me, Blair?”

“No, I don’t miss you, John.”

“Then see this would have been their last day. You’re very selfish,” John then shut his mouth and refused to say anything else.

Blair got up and walked out of the room. Jim glared at Blair and Blair glared back at him. “I didn’t ask for this, Jim. He’s nuts, I’m not.”

Simon stood in between them and he said, “Jim, this had nothing to do with Blair. He didn’t know how this guy felt about him. How would he know that?”

“I guess you’re right,” Jim said as he smiled at Blair.

“Too late,” Blair snapped as he walked by Jim.

“Better kiss ass fast,” Simon ordered.

Jim caught up with Blair and said, “I couldn’t help it. I was jealous.”

“Of John? Why?”

“Because I thought you had been alone for a long while before we got together. I didn’t know you had just left a guy,” Jim explained.

“What difference did it make, you idiot?” Blair shouted.

“I thought I was the only one on your plate at the time,” Jim said.

“You were. What are you talking about?”

“So you weren’t seeing him at the same time as me?”

“Jim, there was no him and me when there was a me and you. I broke up with him about four months before me and you. Do you get it now?”

“Yes, Blair, I got it. I’m sorry, I’m just insecure,” Jim confessed.

“Yeah? Well, you’re going to make it up to me later,” Blair said with a smile that reached his eyes for the first time that day.

Mason walked up to them and said, “Sandburg, he said that he’ll sign a plea bargain if you agree to see him in prison.”

“Tell him I will,” Blair said.

“To hell with that, you’re not going to visit anyone in jail,” Jim shouted.

“I don’t plan on it, Jim. I just said, I would. That doesn’t mean I will.”

“Oh, okay…”

“Why don’t you come and tell him yourself. The DA is here and is writing up the charges and the plea bargain right now. They’re going to suggest he go to the Mental facility of their choice,” Mason told him as they walked to the door.

“How long is he going to be in?” Blair asked.

“They’re talking ten years,” Mason answered.

Blair walked in and told John he would come to see him every week while he was in the mental institution. John agreed to everything they said and signed their papers. It was a done deal.

Blair walked out and said, “It’s all done with, Jim. We can go home and hug and kiss our children.”

“I’m sorry I was an asshole,” Jim said softly.

“I’ll forgive you this time, but the next time, I’m kicking your sweet ass.”

“I love you, Blair,” Jim whispered.

Blair smiled and said, “Wow, an I love you at work? This is a new one.”

“Let’s go home to our kids,” Jim suggested.

“Why didn’t I think of that?” Blair asked laughing.

Things were going to be just fine.

The end

Family Life Part 69
Friend or Foe
By Patt

Word Count: 5147

Summary: Jim’s Ranger friends are in town for a week and want to spend off time with Jim. Blair of course tells him to go and hang out with them. Will Jim’s attitude change towards his family? Or will his friends accept him for who he is? Lots of questions and lots of answers to follow.

Notes: Thank you, Bee, for this idea. It’s not exactly what you asked for, but the muse went her way again. Geeze, I have no control at all.

Jim’s phone rang at the station and he answered, “Ellison.”

“Hey, panther, are you doing anything tonight?”

“John? Is this you?” Jim asked.

“Of course it’s me, who else calls you panther?” John replied.

“Are you in town?” Jim wondered. He was wild about John and some other members of the team that were in the ‘old’ unit in the Rangers.

“Me, Ben, Tom and George are in town for a week and wondered if you could get off work and go on a fishing trip with us. It wouldn’t be the same without you, panther.”

“Give me your number and I’ll see if I can swing it,” Jim answered as he pulled a sheet of paper out to write the number on.

John gave him the number and Jim hung up the phone. Blair was watching him like a hawk. “An old friend?”

“Better then that, Blair. One of my Ranger friends and there are four of them in town for a fishing trip and want me to go along with them. Would you mind if I could get the time off with Simon?” Jim asked sweetly.

Blair didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know anything about this Ranger friend and now Jim wanted to leave for a week and desert all of them? No, Blair wasn’t happy about it.

Jim could tell that Blair was thinking, no, so he said, “Blair, they are just male friends, they aren’t that kind of male friends. There is nothing to worry about. John, Ben, Tom and George are all the best of guys. I was in the same unit with them for about two years before we were separated. I haven’t seen them since. Chief, say you’ll at least think about it.”

“Go ask Simon if you can get the time off. Go, before I change my mind,” Blair grumbled.

Jim hurried to Simon’s door and knocked, waited for entry and then hit his boss up with the same story. He was in there for a long while and Jim came out all bummed out.

“Simon said that there is too much going on right now. So I guess I’ll have to just see them a couple of nights when they get back,” Jim said sadly.

Without saying a word, Blair got up and walked into Simon’s room. Jim didn’t listen, but he didn’t have to listen. He could see Simon arguing with Blair and could tell when Simon started losing the argument. YES. Blair was a God at winning arguments. Jim should have sent him in first.

Blair walked out smiling and said, “As of tomorrow morning you are off for seven days. Don’t abuse it in any way, Jim. I mean it. If I have to bail you out, I’m going to be really pissed off.”

“Chief, thank you. You’re the best. I’ll make it up to you and the kids too. I wouldn’t normally even go, but I know I won’t see them again for at least another ten years. I’m going to call him and tell him the good news.” Jim picked up his phone and called John. He told him he had the next seven days off and John told Jim that he was theirs for five of them. Jim said, “Come by my place tonight and meet my family.”

“What’s your address? We’ll pick you up tonight at 8:00. Did you go and get married panther?”

“More like my significant other and three children. My address is 852 Prospect Place and the condo number is 307. I’ll be ready at 8:00.”

“We’ll see you at 8:00. Be ready, we don’t want to get to the cabin too late at night,” John said.

“I’ll be ready. See you tonight,” Jim replied before he hung up the phone.

“So you’re leaving tonight?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, they’re going to pick me up at 8:00 tonight and meet you and kids first. It’s going to be great, Blair. Stop worrying.”

“I’ll stop worrying when you get home. I don’t even know these men. They could take you somewhere and I’d never see you again for all you know,” Blair said.

Jim smiled. “I’ll get an address or something of where we are going to be. Would that make you feel better?”

“A lot better. Thank you for thinking of it. Now just don’t forget and leave without giving me a place,” Blair stated.

“I promise. This is going to be so great. I haven’t seen them in ten years, so it’s going to be like a reunion. It’s going to be fantastic.”

Blair didn’t know how he felt about Jim being so happy about leaving him and the family for a week. Jim hadn’t been this excited in a long, long while. Oh hell, maybe Jim really did need the break and Blair was going to give him that break.

They worked the rest of the day and got off at 5:00 and headed home for dinner. Blair called Drew from the SUV and said, “Drew, dad is leaving on a five day trip as of tonight at 8:00. I was wondering if you could start dinner so I’ll have time to help him get packed and ready to go.”

“Sure, pop, you know that’s not a problem. I’ll get it done now and you’ll have plenty of time to spend with dad before he leaves. Where is he going?” Drew wondered.

“Jim, where are you going?”

“I have no idea. Just camping. I didn’t ask them where yet.”

“He doesn’t know yet. It’s a camping trip with his old Ranger Unit. So you can tell Max about it, but we’ll tell Sam. She’ll be upset that she’s not going with.”

“Isn’t that the truth?” Drew asked smiling.

“Talk to you soon,” Blair said before he closed his cell phone.

“Jim, I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I truly do want an area where you’ll be. I don’t like the idea of you leaving without you even knowing where you were going. That’s not like you.”

“I’m sorry, Chief. I was just caught up in the moment. I’ll get the address or area for you tonight and you can write it down. It’s a cabin, I know that much. He said something about the cabin. Hell, for all I know, it’s got a phone and everything.”

“I hope it does. Sam isn’t going to take you leaving with strangers well and it would be nice if you could call her from time to time,” Blair suggested.

“Chief, I’m leaving on a bit of a vacation. I might not get a call made when I think of it. So I don’t want you getting all pissy with me if I don’t call every day. It’s a camping trip,” Jim said.

“Pissy? Don’t worry. I could care less if you call,” Blair said as he turned away from Jim and didn’t say another word.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say pissy. I don’t even know where that came from. I’ll do my best at calling, but I’m not promising anything.” Jim explained.

Blair didn’t respond one way or another. He totally blew Jim off and knew that would upset Jim more then anything else. He was right.

“Now see, you’re pissed off now and not talking to me. How in the hell am I supposed to go and have a good time if I’m worried about you being pissed off at me?”

“Then don’t worry about it,” Blair answered.

“But you ‘are’ pissed off at me, right?”

“Who cares? We’re home, let’s get upstairs and tell the kids you’re leaving. You get to tell Sam.”

Jim followed Blair and could tell by his walk that he was good and pissed off. Jim had succeeded in making this much harder then it had to be. Jim sighed and walked to the doorway that was left open by Blair.

!!!!!!!!!!

“What do you mean you’re leaving us for five days? Why can’t we come, daddy?” Sam said tearfully.

“They are friends from my old Army Unit and I haven’t seen them in ten years. I need some time alone with them. They don’t let kids hang out with them.”

“So why isn’t poppy going?” she asked.

“Because he wasn’t in the Army. The five days will fly by, Sam. You’re going to take care of poppy for me, okay?” Jim asked.

“I’m in charge of poppy?” Sam asked, brightening up quite a bit.

“That’s right. You have to keep him in line.”

“Why would poppy be in a line, daddy?”

“No, that means you have to be sure poppy won’t get into any trouble,” Jim explained and smiled at her.

“Okay, I promise.”

!!!!!!!!!!

They all had dinner with the boys asking questions about the Rangers and Jim answering them as best as he could. Even Sam asked questions, but Blair hadn’t said a word to Jim since they left the car. Jim didn’t like the silent treatment and felt like Blair was treating him like he was two years old.

“Boys, would you mind cleaning up so pop can help me pack? Sam could help you load the dishwasher,” Jim suggested.

“Sure, you guys go ahead and get your bag packed,” Max said.

Jim pulled Blair by the arm and said, “Come on, Chief. We’ll talk upstairs.”

Blair walked up the stairs but Jim could tell he wasn’t probably going to be doing any talking.

Jim pulled out an old duffle bag from the closet and Blair said, “You aren’t seriously going to take that are you?”

Jim was thrilled that Blair was talking to him. He didn’t care if Blair was trying to tell him what to do or not. “Yeah, I’m taking this. This is how Rangers pack.”

“Fine, do whatever you want,” Blair replied.

“Blair, if you didn’t want me to go, why did you ask Simon for me?”

“I didn’t realize that I would have to go five days without talking to you. I figured you would be calling every day and every night. It just never occurred to me that you wouldn’t want to,” Blair said.

“It isn’t that I wouldn’t want to, it’s the fact that I might not have cell phone coverage out there and besides, I don’t even know where we’re going yet. Let me find out where it is. If it’s close to town, then we’ll probably go into town for supplies every day and I’ll call you from there. Okay?”

Blair went into Jim’s arms and they held on to each other for a long while. Blair finally pulled away and said, “Come on, we better get you packed, so they don’t tease you about being slow since you’re an old married man now.”

They talked and kissed and talked some more while they packed up his gear for the trip. When they were done, Jim tied it up and carried it down the stairs.

He looked at his watch and saw that it was 7:50 already. He wouldn’t have much time with his family. “Hey, everyone, come on out here really fast,” Jim shouted.

Max, Drew and Sam walked into the living room followed by Blair.

“What’s going on?” Blair asked.

“I want to give you all hugs and stuff, it’s almost time for me to go. I’m going to miss all of you so much.” Jim pulled Blair into his arms first and hugged him very hard. Then he pulled in Max, followed by Drew and finally lifting Sam up for a huge hug and kisses. “You have to all promise me that you’ll be good for pop while I’m gone.”

“We promise, dad. Don’t worry so much,” Max said.

“We’ll be really good and you can buy us a surprise when you get home,” Sam suggested.

“That’s a good idea, Sam. You think of something you want while I’m gone, okay?”

“Okay, daddy.”

There was a knock at the door and Jim opened it and four huge guys came walking into the loft. They all hugged each other and stood back to be introduced.

“John, Ben, Tom and George, this is my better half, Blair, our oldest son, Max, our next son, Drew and our littlest, Samantha. Everyone these are my friends.”

Sam went over to each of the man and hugged their leg. The guys started laughing and said, “Wow, way to teach her about strangers, Jim,” John teased.

John shook hands with Blair and said, “It’s really good to meet the person that was able to tame this dude down.”

“He’s not tamed much,” Blair said jokingly.

“Good, I’m glad to hear it,” George said.

“Oh guys, where is this cabin that we’re going to be staying in?” Jim asked offhandedly and hoped the guys wouldn’t razz him too much about it.

“I figured Blair would need to know, so here is the map and the address. There is a phone at the cabin, so you can call at night if you want to.” John handed the paper over to Blair and Blair took it happily.

“Thank you, man. Take good care of him for us,” Blair said.

Jim said, “We’ll see all of you when I get back.” Then all five of the men walked out the door and shut it behind them. Blair couldn’t believe he wasn’t getting a kiss goodbye. But then again, Jim might not know how they felt about PDA. It was part of life.

!!!!!!!!!!

“So what have you all been doing for the last ten years?” Jim asked as he buckled into his seat in the back of the van.

John said, “Well, I got married, divorced and thankfully had no children. Nothing against your kids, Jim, but kids are for other people not me. We’re looking into starting a Security Firm and wanted to see if you were game.”

“All of you are moving here?” Jim asked.

“Seattle is where we found a good piece of property for a good price and there are jobs to be had there. Are you interested?” John asked.

“No, sorry. I’m working and I love my job. My family is all here and I like living in Cascade. So thanks for the invite, but I’ll have to pass on it.”

Ben said, “I got married and had two kids and divorced about four years ago. I haven’t seen the kids in four years. She moved them clear across the county. They live in Texas. I miss them.”

“We told him to sue for custody, but he said she was really good at raising the kids, he wasn’t. So he’s just missing out on their lives right now,” Tom answered.

“Why aren’t you going to Texas to visit them?” Jim asked.

“She said I was a drunk and she got total custody of them and I didn’t fight it. I should have, but I didn’t.” Ben seemed sad about that.

George said, “I’m still married and my wife said she’d gladly move to Seattle. She loves the football team.”

They all laughed about that and Tom said, “Since when have you gone for guys, Jim?”

“Since I was 16. No one asked while we were in the Unit, so I didn’t think it was the time or place to tell you. I used to sleep with some of the other guys in different Units.”

“Blair seems nice enough,” George said. “Sort of girly name though isn’t it?”

Even Jim laughed and said, “You had to meet his mom to really understand that. I wouldn’t be surprised if she had considered naming him Freedom or something. She’s a hippy of sorts and she named him. It’s not like he was going to change it after he got used to it.”

They talked and laughed and the time went by really quickly as they drove to the cabin.

John said, “We’re going to stop at the store by the cabin and get some supplies that aren’t up there. Like essentials. Beer and beer and beer.”

Jim laughed and realized that John was very serious. “What about food, guys? We have to eat.”

“Leave it to Jim to think about his stomach first thing. The pantry and fridge is already stocked. We’re just joking. We didn’t know what kind of beer to get for you, so we’re stopping for that,” John teased.

When they got to the store, Jim was already tired. He wished Blair was with him to sleep with him. He always slept better when Blair was with him. So much for that. Jim knew this might be a long five days. He got the feeling that these guys wanted to talk him into the move to Seattle.

!!!!!!!!!!

When they pulled up into the driveway of the cabin, Jim whistled. “This is some cabin. How many bedrooms?”

“Five. So we each get our own room. Now we need to unpack so we can get to bed early. We’re going fishing at 6:00 tomorrow morning. No arguments. That’s the best time for fishing,” John ordered.

They all took all of the food, drinks and everything else into the cabin. Jim got settled in his room and came out and said, “Do you mind if I call and tell him we got here in one piece?”

“Panther, let it go for one night. We’re going to go to bed and get up early. This is supposed to be our week with you. Not his. So let’s all get ready for bed and sleep fast.”

Jim looked at his watch and realized it was already midnight. He wouldn’t call at that time of night anyhow. He would have woken everyone up in the loft.

He got ready for bed and slipped under the covers. It was September, so it was getting cool at night. He really missed his bed warmer. He smiled as he thought about Blair and then realized he hadn’t kissed him goodbye. ‘Oh fuck.’

!!!!!!!!!!

The next day, they all were up and ready to go at five a.m. Jim almost laughed at all of them acting like kids on the first day of school.

They went down carrying all of their gear and saw that there were benches built into the side of the lake. They all got a bench and got busy getting their lines ready. There was no talking while they were fishing. Fishing was serious business. They didn’t want to scare away the fish with talking. Before long, they had each caught from three to six fish and Jim said, “I think that’s enough for now. We should clean them and fix them for dinner tonight.”

So that’s exactly what they did. They got them all cleaned and then washed them at the cabin and put them in the fridge until it was time to cook them. Jim filleted all of them, so that they didn’t have to worry about skin and bones.

“Hey guys, you have to see this,” George called out from the back door.

They all went rushing to the door and looked out. There was a huge hot tub and a large pool. “They’re both warm. They must be heated,” George commented.

“Hot damn, who wants to swim? I know I do,” John shouted as he slipped his clothing off and jumped into the pool, bare ass naked.

Ben followed suit, then Tom did and George said, “Come on, Jim. It’ll be like old times.”

Jim took his clothes off too and jumped into the pool too. There was a net in the middle and balls to hit to each other from one side of the pool to the other. They played like water volley ball and had a blast. They all played until they couldn’t laugh any longer. Jim was the first one out and walked into the house naked to use the bathroom.

He listened to see if anything was going on and he heard George say, “What do we do if Jim doesn’t want to move?”

“Then we’ll have to move the business to Cascade. We have to have Jim in the group, that’s what we had all decided and it’s got to be that way,” John said.

“But he said he wouldn’t give up being a cop,” Tom reminded them.

“Well, we’ll try and change his mind. I mean, we can’t force him but it wouldn’t be the same without him,” Ben said.

Jim walked out of the house and got back into the pool and said, “What’s going on?”

“We were just saying how it would be nice if maybe we moved the business to Cascade. Would you be interested if we moved there?” John said.

“No, sorry. I love being a cop. So does Blair and we work together,” Jim replied.

“Well it’s nice seeing you anyhow. We still might bring the business here so we’ll see you more often. Would you mind that?” Ben asked.

“I would love seeing you more often. You guys were my family for a long, long while. Blair would love having you there too. He’s a really nice guy,” Jim assured them.

They all played ball some more and finally when the sun started to set, they got out, dried off and dressed and started cooking dinner. John and Ben were in charge of that night’s dinner. Jim didn’t know what they were using for seasoning, but it smelled wonderful.

They were all drinking beer before, during and after dinner. At 8:00 that night, Jim considered calling Blair, but he was too damn tired. “What’s the game plan for tomorrow?”

John smiled and said, “We’re going to hike and hot tub all night long when we get back with our sore legs and feet.”

“Sounds good to me. I’m going to catch a shower now to wash the chlorine off me and then I’m going to catch some shuteye,” Jim said.

“You wuss, you’re going to bed already?” Ben asked.

“I’m tired, I’m older then you guys,” Jim answered.

“Older my ass,” John said laughing.

“Okay, no one is as old as John. He’s the same age as God,” Jim teased. John ran after Jim and tackled him. Before long they were all laying on top of him laughing their asses off.

Jim took a shower, came back out and had more beer and talked some more with the guys. He was having a very good time. He missed Blair and the kids, but he liked being away too. He wasn’t sure what that meant.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim woke up once during the night and heard Ben and Tom in bed together. Jim smiled. They didn’t seem the type, but then again, neither did he, they had all said. Jim put the pillow over his head and went back to sleep.

!!!!!!!!!!

The hike was wonderful. It was beautiful country out there and Jim really enjoyed himself. They had all left at 7:00 and it was now going on 5:00, so they were starving. “Who’s going to cook tonight?” Jim asked.

“You are,” John answered.

“Oh goody, what am I making?” Jim asked laughing at his friends.

“Pork chops are what are in the fridge. It’s up to you what you do with them. Show us how good you are at being a husband,” George teased.

Jim went into the kitchen as soon as they were back and started cooking dinner. He made baked chops, fresh salad, cooked fresh green beans and fried up potatoes. He had everything going and the house smelled great when John came in and said, “Don’t need any help?”

“You could set the table,” Jim answered.

“I could do that for you,” John said as he walked past and got the plates and silverware. When he walked by he kissed Jim. Jim said, “Hey, what’s that for?”

“Nothing, just showing you a little thanks.”

“No thanks, needed,” Jim said and went back to cooking dinner.

Jim didn’t know what the hell was going on, but that was not a thank you kiss. That was a kiss, kiss. Jim was confused and could use Blair about now.

They all sat down to dinner and George said, “John said he scared you. He thought you felt the same way about him, Jim.”

“No, I’m in love with Blair. There is no one else in my life but Blair.”

“That’s fine. No harm in finding out, is there?” John asked.

“I guess not. I never knew you swung that way,” Jim said.

“Jim, we all swing that way. Don’t worry, I’ll bug George from now on. His wife knows he plays both teams,” John replied.

“Thanks, makes me sound like I’m second best doesn’t it?” George said laughing.

Jim was shocked. How in the hell had he missed all of this?

They got the dishes done and everything cleaned up and then it was time for the hot tub.

Jim didn’t know how he felt about the hot tub now, because they all might want to do something and he’d be the odd man out. But he needn’t have worried. Everyone got in, drank their beers and told old stories all night long. Finally at about 10:00, they all got dried off and went into bed.

There was a phone on the night stand in his room, so Jim picked it up and saw it was connected, so he dialed Blair’s number on his cell phone.

“Sandburg?”

“Hey Chief.”

“God, I miss you. They have a land line?”

“They have a land line. But I haven’t had a chance to call before now. I’m sorry. It’s hard keeping up with the four of them, let me tell ya.”

“I miss you so much, Jim. The kids miss you too.”

“I miss all of you, but I really miss you. God, I had too much beer to drink tonight and I’m horny as hell. I’d give anything to be fucking you right now.”

Blair laughed and said, “Okay, so you are drunk. Go to sleep, Jim. I’ll talk to you another night. Call me when you aren’t drunk or horny and just want to talk. Okay?”

“Okay. I love you, babe.”

“I love you too. Be careful and be good,” Blair said before he closed his cell phone.

Jim punched his pillow a few times and rolled onto his hard-on and tried to go to sleep. He could hear and smell sex going on in the other rooms and it about make him come just by scenting them. But Jim knew that would be like cheating on Blair.

!!!!!!!!!!

The next day, Jim got up at 8:00 and made coffee. He didn’t know what time everyone else got to sleep, but he had been up listening until about 2:00. Jim was exhausted.

Finally at about 10:00 everyone else got up and Jim had breakfast made and the coffee waiting.

“I say we just hang around the house today and take it easy,” John suggested.

“Sounds good to me. We’ll relax and talk about the first thing that pops up,” Ben said laughing.

Tom walked in and kissed Jim and said, “Good morning, Jim.”

Jim pulled away from him and said, “I told you guys, I don’t fool around on Blair.”

“You’ve never given it much thought have you? Why not at least think about it before you say no,” George said.

“John, I talked to Blair last night and I told him I was coming home early. So could you drive me to Cascade today?” Jim asked.

“Jim, we just want to fuck around, we’re not asking for your hand in marriage or anything,” John assured him.

“I don’t fuck around,” Jim shouted this time.

“Fine, be like that. See how hard it is to get ride from the highway. I’m not taking you anywhere,” John growled.

Jim walked into this bedroom, locked the door and got dressed and put his gear in his duffle bag once more and then out the door he went.

“Hey, we can’t make him walk back to Cascade,” George said.

“If he was really our friend, he would have given it more thought then two seconds before he turned us down. He’s not really our friend,” John said.

Jim could hear them as he walked up to the road and started towards the highway. He was getting a late start but hoped to get cell service as he walked closer to town.

!!!!!!!!!!

Once Jim arrived in town, he called Blair from the pay phone, explained what had happened and told him where he was. Blair said he would be there in two hours. Jim knew he would be, so he sat in the restaurant for the next two hours and waited for his ride. When Blair drove up, Jim hurried out to the SUV and jumped in. He leaned into Blair and kissed him hard and said, “I’ve never been so happy to see anyone in my life.”

“Jim, were you worried about being alone with them?” Blair asked.

“Sort of. They were making me really nervous. So I knew I had to leave then. John was pissed off that I turned him down, both for the job and sex. And believe me it would have been just sex. These guys don’t take anything seriously. Oh and one more thing, they’re fucking drunks.” Jim was so pissed he could hardly see straight.

“I’m sorry, Jim. I know how badly you wanted this to work out. Who would have thought they were into orgies?”

“I know, I’m in shock. I’ve never been hit on by so many people in my life. And they didn’t seem to want to take no for an answer. I was afraid another night of drinking and they might just attack me.”

“Jim, they’re your friends, they wouldn’t have attacked you. But they also should have left you in peace when you stated how you felt about things. I’m a little pissed off that they were getting kisses while I sat home getting nothing,” Blair teased.

“I know, I agree.”

“Just lie back in the seat and rest. When we get home you can do whatever you want to me,” Blair offered.

“Thank you, I’d like to sleep with you. I mean that. I haven’t slept worth shit in two nights. I’m ready for a nap.”

“Rest and when we get home, you can rest some more.”

Jim did just that.

The end

Family Life Part 70
Favorite Stories
By Patt

Word Count: 3229

Summary: The wind is blowing, rain is falling hard and the weather takes a big dip. The electricity is out, so what do the Ellison-Sandburg’s do to keep warm and busy?

Notes: Thank you to Bee for another good idea. Since I wouldn’t give her a camping story, she’s going to at least get stories around a make shift camp fire. LOL Okay, Bee, it didn’t turn out as I expected it. I’m sorry. LOL

When Jim and Blair got home that night the kids were bundled up with blankets in the living room. The weather had taken a drastic change and it dipped down to 45 degrees and the wind was howling, the rain was falling and it was cold outside. But worse, yet, it was cold inside.

“Hey dad, hey pop, how was your day today?” Max asked.

“Better then here. It’s cold in here,” Jim said shivering which he usually didn’t do. Blair figured it was because of the rain and the wind outside making Jim feel colder then it actually was. Jim headed over to the heater and turned it on for the first time since the end of winter.

The heater popped on right away and Blair said, “Things will warm up in just a few minutes, kids. It’s angry out there tonight.”

Samantha jumped off the sofa and left her blanket behind long enough to give hugs to both of the tired men. “How was school today, sweetie,” Jim asked.

“Good, it was good.”

“Nothing happened that you want to tell us about?” Blair asked.

“It was a boring day. It was show and tell for six kids today, but not for me. So it was boring. They all brought boring stuff,” Sam ranted.

“Maybe if you would have paid more attention to them, it would have been more interesting,” Jim pointed out.

Sam ignored Jim and said, “Max and Drew, it’s not cold in here anymore. Daddy fixed it.”

Both of the boys folded their blankets neatly and took them upstairs. Sam took hers into her bedroom and set it on her bed. Jim went into the kitchen to start dinner.

Blair sat down at the table with Sam and helped her with her homework. Max and Drew brought their work down too and they all did work at the table.

After about an hour and a half, Jim said, “Clean up time. It’s time to eat.”

“Yay, I’m starving,” Sam said happily.

The boys hurried and washed their hands and set the table for Jim. They liked to help out when they could, and since Jim made dinner, they felt like it was only right to set the table.

As they ate dinner, Drew said, “We’re going to have to get our winter coats out for tomorrow. Don’t you think, pop?”

Blair smiled and said, “We’re going to have to see what the weather man says. For all we know, it might be back in the 60s or 70s tomorrow. We can hope.”

Max smiled. “Well, I’m taking mine out of the big closet and putting it on the coat rack in our room. I’m going to be warmer then I was today that’s for sure.”

Blair said, “Drew and Max are you done with your homework?”

“Why do I get the feeling that I’ll be sorry if I say I am?” Max asked cheerfully.

“I was going to ask if you boys would help dad clean the kitchen up. I’m still doing work with Samantha for tomorrow,” Blair said.

Jim sighed and said, “I swear, they give more homework to the five year olds then they do to the teens. Or so it seems anyhow.”

“It’s because she moves at a much slower pace. And keep in mind all of you that she’s just learning to read and write, so everything goes slower.”

“Yeah, you’re right pop. We’ll help dad with the dishes, don’t worry. Maybe we can have a game of Sorry when all the homework is done,” Drew suggested.

Jim said, “I like the idea of that. I love Sorry. So does pop and Sam. So let’s get this show on the road.”

They cleared the dishes quickly and got them washed off and loaded in the dishwasher as fast as they could. When they were all done, Blair had just finished with Samantha.

There was a huge clap of thunder and a gigantic streak of lightening running across the sky and suddenly the lights were out. Everything on the street was out.

Samantha started to panic first thing. “Daddy, poppy, I can’t see anyone.”

Blair grabbed her and said, “It’s all right, Sam, daddy will light a candle for us and we’ll be able to see each other.”

“Are we never going to have lights again?” Sam asked.

“This must be Sam’s first time with a power outage. Max and Drew, come over here by us and sit next to us until dad gets the candles going,” Blair instructed.

Jim lit five candles and placed them in the living room and dining room. It wasn’t like having lights, but it was great. They could at least see each other.

Jim thought of something fun to do and said, “Max and Drew, take one of the candles with you and get your sleeping bags and your pillows and come back down here. We’re going to light a fire and we’ll lie around the fire and tell campfire stories.”

Max and Drew must have thought it sounded good because they grabbed a candle and went up the stairs. Jim could hear them running into things and tripping over things in their room.

“What about me, daddy? Do I have a sleeping bag?”

“Yes, precious, you have a sleeping bag. Let’s get your pajama’s on and we’ll bring that and your pillow out into the living room. Poppy, you’re in charge of starting the fire.”

Blair gladly went and started the fire quickly so they would all have a blazing fire to tell their stories by. Blair was really looking forward to this. It was great that Jim thought of it. Once the fire was going pretty well, he went into the kitchen and got the graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows to make their dessert with. He brought out skewers from the kitchen to roast the marshmallows on. This was going to be so much fun. He was hoping the electricity stayed off all night. He would like a family night. This was working out great.

!!!!!!!!!!

Max and Drew put their sleeping bags in front of the fireplace and made room for Jim, Blair and Sam. They both just lay on the floor watching the fire. It was warm and beautiful at the same time.

Jim brought Sam out with her pj’s on and Drew said, “That’s what we forgot. Let’s run back up one more time for lounge wear.”

Jim said, “Hurry up, when you get done, pop and I will run up and do the same. “

When the boys got back downstairs, Jim and Blair rushed upstairs to get their sleepwear on and came down dressed for winter. They both even had socks and slippers on.

“You think you’re warm enough, dad and pop?” Max asked trying not to laugh at the two of them.

“Hey, we don’t know how long the lights are going to be out. Better safe then sorry.” Blair teased.

They all lay down in front of the fire on their sleeping bags and Jim said, “Tonight Max and Drew are going to tell Sam why they like living here with us.”

“That’s what we have to talk about?” Max whined.

Blair said, “Tell her how you didn’t really want to live with us at first.”

Sam looked shocked. “You didn’t want to live with poppy and daddy? Why?”

Max sat up for this discussion and so did Drew. “First of all, Drew always liked the idea of living here. From the very start he liked dad and pop, but I was a little leery because they were gay. I was afraid that the kids at school would tease us and that wouldn’t be cool at all.”

“You mean because daddy and poppy love each other? This scared you?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, in a way it did. I was afraid that the kids would tease us, or that dad and pop wouldn’t want us after a month or more or that they just wouldn’t like us. It was a very scary time for us, Sam. We were a lot older then you, so it was harder. We had already lived with so many people that it wasn’t even funny. The idea of leaving here and going to a new place scared me the most. I liked pop and dad, but not as much as Drew did.”

“Drew, you were way smarter then Max.” Sam was quite sure of this.

“I think so too. It took me a couple of months to totally warm up to dad and pop, but once I did, I was hooked for life. Now I can’t imagine my life with anyone else. I love dad and pop, Drew and you too, Sam.” Max sighed with contentment.

“Drew, do you like it here too?” Sam asked.

“I love it here. I love everyone in this house and I too can’t imagine my life any differently. When my mom signed away her rights as my parent, I was so happy. She was a mess. It wasn’t totally her fault. She was on bad drugs at the time, but she was no type of mom we wanted to have. We knew that we were better off here with dad and pop. Do you like it here, Sam?” Drew asked.

“I love it here. I love all of you and I don’t remember my mommy or my daddy, so I only know you guys. You’re my family.”

Max and Drew hugged her and Drew said, “We’re glad to be your family. Now it’s pop and dad’s turn. Who was happiest about taking us in?”

Blair cleared his throat and said, “I’m going to be truthful. Dad didn’t want children, so he had to be convinced of this. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to talk him into it, but he’s really good at compromising. I was the happiest about taking you boys in. It was like my life was complete when you were in it. It took him a little while longer. Only because he was afraid to love you and then have you taken away. We both worried about that, and we’re thrilled when things worked out as well as they did.”

“They need to know the truth. I didn’t want anyone to live here but me and pop. I didn’t think I had any room in my heart for anyone else. I’m a selfish person and thankfully pop talked some sense into me and we gave it a try. But if pop would have listened to me, there would be no family right now. And I can’t imagine my life without you kids in it. I adore all of you. But on Father’s Day, we need to really thank him. Not me so much,” Jim confessed.

“It’s okay, dad. I didn’t want to live here either. I didn’t really like you that much. I liked pop, but not you so much. You seemed, sad, lonely and angry at the same time. I’m so glad that you listened to pop and I’m glad that I listened to Drew. They both knew all along that we were going to be a great family. We just fought it for awhile.”

“How about we take a breather and have some dessert?” Blair asked.

“I love dessert,” Sam answered.

“I swear she has a 200 pound person inside of her. That’s all she does is eat,” Drew teased.

Blair said, “Here you go, Sam, this is how we’re going to cook the marshmallows. Then I’ll show you what we do with them.”

Blair guided the marshmallows onto the skewers and then helped her hold it over the fire. She watched in awe as the marshmallow started turning brown and then almost black before they pulled it out of the fire.

“Now, we take two graham crackers and put chocolate bars on one side and the marshmallow on the other and squish them together. Does this look yummy or what?” Blair asked. “Now be careful, it’s still hot. Let it cool down for a moment.”

Drew and Max were next. They put their own marshmallows on the skewers and roasted them. Jim had the crackers and chocolate waiting for their melted mess.

Finally Jim and Blair made one for themselves and ate them happily with the kids. “So what do you think of this dessert?” Jim asked.

Max smiled and said, “They’re called S’mores, Sam and the reason they are called that is because we all eat them and want some more.”

Sam started laughing and said, “Are they really called that poppy?”

“Yes, they are Sam.”

“I loved it. Is this what camping is like? Sitting around a fire and eating gooey things?” Sam wondered.

“Yes, that’s what camping is about and a lot more. Some day we’re going to go camping in the spring and we’ll show you how camping is in tents. It’s great. You’ll love it,” Jim said.

“Let’s go brush our teeth, Sam, so you can lie down and fall asleep if you want to.” Blair took a candle and grabbed Sam’s little hand.

“This has been great fun, dad. Thanks for thinking of doing this,” Max said.

“I agree, it’s more fun then playing Sorry and you know how much we love beating your butt off at Sorry,” Drew said.

“Geeze, I only lost two games one time. You’re never going to let me forget it are you?” Jim asked.

“That’s right, dad. Pop is a much better loser then you are though,” Max said.

When Blair came back out, he said, “Sam is getting sleepy, so she’s going to lie down and we’re going to tell her some stories to help her go to sleep.”

Sam snuggled into the sleeping bag and waited for the stories.

Drew and Max told different stories about how nice it was to have a little sister in their life and how they were glad they were all a family. They all looked down and Sam was fast asleep.

“She’s such a wuss,” Max joked.

“She’s five, Max, give her a break,” Jim reminded him.

“I know. We meant it about how great it is having a little sister. She’s terrific. We really love having her around. Even our friends like her. Their parents like her. She’s just a really nice kid. Thank you for giving us a little sister. We never thought we would ever have that in our life,” Max admitted.

“You are most welcome. She came to us this way though, so we can’t take any credit. I think she’s a joy to have around too,” Blair said.

“While we’re being all truthful and everything, I have a question for you, Max,” Jim said.

“Hit me,” Max kidded.

“Why did you give up on football? Was it because of us? You told us it was your grades and peer pressure, but I have a feeling it was because you were taking so much flack about us. Am I right?” Jim hoped he was wrong.

Max didn’t answer right away and Blair said, “Max, you can tell us the truth. We’re tough, we can take it.”

“Yeah, it was because of you guys. They made it horrible to try and have a home life, a football life and a school life. I couldn’t have it all, so I had to choose which was most important. They teased me for a good long while, but they got over it. Now they’re teasing someone else, I’m sure. I didn’t like them anyway. I never really fit into their upper class lifestyle. I was glad when I made the decision to give it up. But I didn’t want you and pop to feel bad about it. So that’s why I didn’t tell you.”

Blair said, “Drew, do you take any flack for having gay parents?”

Now it was Drew’s turn to be quiet.

“Tell us the truth,” Jim said.

“I get teased at school all the time because I like cooking class. They all say I’m in the right family. We’re all fags. But I ignore them. Max gets in fights sometimes because of me, but I tell him not to bother.”

“Drew, that’s horrible. Regular men cook all the time. Don’t they know this?” Blair was shocked.

“Pop, you are a regular man. Just because you’re gay doesn’t mean you’re not a normal guy. I know this, Max knows this and so does Sam. You both need to worry less about us. We’re doing just fine,” Drew admitted.

Jim put a couple more logs on the fire and they sat and watched as they began to light up and burn.

“Do you take any flack at work for being gay?” Max asked.

“Yes, we do. But nothing we can’t handle. Don’t worry about us either. We’re doing just fine,” Jim assured them.

“What time is it?” Drew asked.

“It’s ten o’clock. I guess you guys might be tired now,” Blair figured.

We’re going to brush our teeth and then go to sleep if you and pop don’t mind, dad,” Max said.

“That’s fine, boys, go do your thing,” Jim said.

While the boys were in the bathroom, Jim and Blair kissed and Jim said, “I might be too old to sleep on the floor.”

“So sleep on the sofa. You’ll still be warm enough,” Blair suggested.

“Do you mind?”

“Not hardly, Jim. I’m sleeping on the loveseat,” Blair teased.

“This sofa is big and wide, we’ll sleep together. Okay?”

“Okay. I need to get ready for bed,” Blair got up and grabbed a candle and walked into their bathroom and got ready for bed.

Max and Drew came out and saw the sleeping bags on the sofa and Max said, “You’re a wuss, dad.”

“Yes, yes I am.”

They laughed as they crawled into the sleeping bags and got ready to settle down for the night.

Blair came out and Drew said, “Good, I wanted to say goodnight before I fell asleep.”

“Goodnight, guys,” Blair said softly.

“Goodnight, Drew and Max,” Jim said.

“See you in the morning,” Max said.

“We’ll be here,” Jim answered.

Jim took a candle and got ready for bed in the bathroom. When he came out he smiled at his sleeping family on the floor in front of the fireplace. It looked so cozy. Then he went to say something to Blair and saw Blair on the sofa sound asleep.

Jim snuggled up behind Blair on the extra-wide sofa and kissed the back of his neck. “Night, Chief.”

“I love you, Jim.”

“And I love you, Blair.”

Jim fell asleep to the sounds of the firewood crackling and he thought this was one of the nicest things they had all done in ages. It was a good night. This was a good family.

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *