By Your Side

By Your Side – Patt & CJ
(Sequel to The Lone Ranger)

Jim woke to a beautiful sight. Blair was lying there naked; sound asleep, with nothing over his body. No covers to keep him warm, nothing. Jim moved closer, covering Blair’s body with his own heated skin. He smiled at the contented look on his lover’s face. Blair loved cuddling.

His head nestled cozily into Blair’s shoulder; Jim breathed in. Mouth open slightly, he suckled at the warm skin. The scent and taste of his lover never failed to intoxicate him. Aroused, he started stroking his hand down Blair’s chest, curling his fingers in the soft hairs. Jim’s hands slid further down over the belly to gently fondle Blair’s cock. Still asleep, Blair was getting hard. A softly exhaled “Jim” escaped from Blair’s lips. This turned Jim on like nothing ever had before. Even sleeping the man was thinking of him. Lips quirking into a smile, Jim snuggled closer to the man he loved, content to just hold him and relax. He was so crazy about Blair it wasn’t even funny. He’d have to talk to Simon about Blair living with him so it wouldn’t come as such a shock when Simon came over. As one of his best friends, Simon deserved to hear it from Jim personally, no matter how nervous Jim was about telling him. Blair would have to meet all of the Major Crimes guys at the usual Saturday night poker game. Jim was feeling a little bit tense about that, but knew things would be fine.

He could see Henry Brown right now teasing him, saying, “No wonder you never seemed too big on the ladies.”

Then there would be Brian Rafe saying, “You with a guy? No shit?”

Joel would be totally accepting of anything that Jim did. Joel and Jim had been friends for years and probably would always be. Simon would be behind him too. Yeah, this would be all right. Everything would work out fine. How could anyone not like Blair?

Looking down at the angelic face helped him through his thoughts about the case they had just worked on. Jim was going to have to find out why that man had killed all of those children. How he could be that insane and have no one notice? Had he always known that his son was gay? Did that set him off? And what about the children? How much abuse did they have to endure from their kidnapper? Jim knew it wasn’t his job to investigate this, but felt like he needed to help Simon, so he’d have some closure.

Jim realized that he’d have to ask a lot of damn questions that he probably didn’t want to hear the answers to. What kind of excuses could there be for such insane actions? The son certainly wouldn’t want to know that he was the reason for those atrocities. Jim looked down and found Blair smiling at him. He forced himself to forget about work and focus on Blair; kissing Blair made that easy to do. He nuzzled softly at Blair’s mouth.

“Hi, sleepyhead. I was just thinking.”

Blair felt his heart melt as he gazed up at the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. It was a wonderful feeling to awaken wrapped up in Jim’s embrace. He reached out, tracing his fingers along that firm jaw line. His demeanor was serious as he thought of everything they’d been through in the last few days.

“You look terrific while you’re thinking.”

“I bet you say that to all of your bosses.” Jim joked. Jim was surprised when Blair got out of bed and went down the stairs. Well shit, Ellison, you already pissed him off. That has to be an all time record.

“Chief, I’m sorry. I was joking.” Jim said through the bathroom door, not exactly sure what he had done that was so upsetting.

Hearing the worry in the other man’s voice Blair chided himself for reacting so quickly. He’d panicked, worried that Jim didn’t take their relationship as seriously as Blair did; that Blair didn’t mean as much to Jim as Jim did to him. Maybe they were moving too quickly. He felt way over his head emotionally. Maybe it was just the strain of the case they had just finished. He felt tired.

“Jim, I’m fine. I just don’t know how to take some of the comments you make. It’s going to take me a little time to get used to us. Sorry.”

“Take all the time you need, Blair. We have forever, right?” Jim asked nervously.

Opening up the bathroom door Blair walked out with his head down. “Jim, I think we might be taking this too fast.”

“Shit, I knew I would screw this up. Tell me what I did and I’ll fix it.” Jim begged.

“Jim, you didn’t do anything wrong. I’m crazy about you. I just don’t know where I fit in your life yet. That bothers me.”

“Do you think it doesn’t bother me, Blair? I’m going nuts here. I don’t want to lose you, or have you leave me. How about moving into the room downstairs until you decide what you want to do?” Jim was desperate to make Blair stay, even if he had to sleep in a separate bed.

“I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I could stay out of your bed, hot stuff.” Blair said smiling.

Jim sighed, relieved. “You’re okay with us in the bedroom, then?”

“Oh yeah,” Blair emphasized, “I’m fine with that. I’m not moving into that other room unless you want me to because of family or something.”

“I don’t see my dad and my brother much but they’ll either get used to the idea, or not. It’s up to them.”

“I don’t have any family left and my friends aren’t the type who would care.” Blair cringed at the thought that there was no one left who was that close to him anymore now that his mom was gone.

“What do we have planned for today?” It hurt too much to think about Naomi so Blair decided to change the subject.

“Simon wants us to continue looking into the missing children case until we have all the answers we can for the parents. It has to be a nightmare for them to live with the thoughts of their children in the hands of a madman. It’s even worse for the parents of the children who were killed. Maybe finding some answers about why this happened will help. There’s going to be tons of paper work, tons of phone calls, lots of crying parents, and exhausting situations. Think you can handle that?”

“Yeah, man. I think I can. I want to stay busy and I’d like to help those families in any way I can, no matter how small it is.”

“Okay. Let’s shower, get dressed, have breakfast, and get started.”

Jim cradled Blair’s face in his hands, dropping a soft kiss on his forehead, nose, and then a deeper, lingering kiss on his mouth. “I love you,” he whispered. “We’ll take things as slow as you need.” He dropped another gentle kiss on Blair’s forehead before walking back upstairs to get his clothes, leaving a shaken and gasping Blair behind.

***

When they got to the office Carol was clearing away her personal items before leaving on her trip. She looked up and grinned. “Hi, Jim, Blair.” She was glad that they both seemed so happy with each other despite what they must have gone through the previous day. Thinking of those poor kids made her shudder.

“Carol, I want you to have a great time with your dad.” Jim handed her an envelope. Blair bounced excitedly behind Jim, waiting for her to take it.

“What’s this?” Carol was almost afraid to open it.

“Well, if I told you, it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore, would it?”

Carol tore her gaze away from Jim’s boyish look of anticipation and opened up the envelope to find a check inside, “Jim, what is this?” She was stunned at the amount.

“Carol, you run my office, I think you know what a check looks like,” Jim teased.

“What the hell’s all of this money for?” She was still in shock.

“Carol, that’s your vacation, your sick leave, a bonus and just some spending money.” Jim was serious again. His blue eyes softened as he spoke to the person who had done so much to make his job run smoothly. “I want things to be easier for you than they have been lately. This might help.”

Staring at Jim open mouthed, Carol was speechless for a moment. She resisted the urge to throw herself into Jim’s arms for a hug because she knew how uncomfortable that would make Jim. “Thanks so much.” She blinked back tears. “Now I have to get out of here so I can finish getting ready to go to the airport.”

Blair hugged Carol. “Hurry back. I don’t want to do this all the time. Take good care of your Dad.”

Carol hugged him back and whispered, “How much do you want to bet he asks you to be a partner? I’ll be back as soon as I can, Blair, and I’ll take good care of Dad.”

Blair knew that Jim would have heard their exchange, so he was instantly embarrassed. “I’ll let you know if there are any changes.”

As soon as Carol left, Blair asked, “What’s up first?”

“Chief, here’s a list of the family members of the children that were killed. We need to know if this man chose those children at random or if it was for a specific reason; anything that could be a link to the killer. While you do that, I’m going to call Simon. Then I’ll call my friend Dan Wolfe, the coroner at CPD. They might have some useful information for us.”

“I’ll start checking on the families and if you need me, let me know, okay?”

“Sure thing. She’s right you know.”

“Right about what?” Blair asked, honestly confused.

“I do want you to come into the business. You really helped me yesterday. You kept me focused, kept me together. If I had you helping me all the time, I could do a much better job.”

“I’ll think about it, Jim. Thanks for asking,” Blair responded quietly as he started looking over his list of calls to make.

When Jim returned to his office to begin work, the phone rang and Blair answered. He followed Jim into the office. “Jim, there’s a new client on the phone. They’d like to see you this afternoon. Should I put them off or make an appointment?”

“Go ahead and make the appointment. We’ll need a break from this other case.”

“How do I know what time would be good? I have no calendar for you yet.”

“Go ahead and make the appointment. If we need to change it we can call them back. Make sure it’s something that’s doable,” Jim said, giving Blair free rein.

“Okay. Go back to what you were doing.”

Jim could hear him taking down information and after Blair hung up, Jim began his own calls, starting with Simon.

“Banks.”

“Good morning, Simon. How are you doing?”

“Morning, Jim. I’ve had better days. This one’s messy. I talked to Dan Wolfe this morning, and this man was a monster; worse than we thought. What do you need?”

“I was wondering if you’d heard anything new about the case. I guess you have?”

“Yeah, Dan said that he had molested all of the children repeatedly. He was also starving the ones in his basement.” Simon’s voice was harsh with anger.

“Did he have a history of abusing his own son?”

“He has history of something; we just don’t know what it is. He was in a mental institution for a number of years, but they won’t give us any information. We might have to call in the Feds on this and see if they can get them to open the files.”

“Wouldn’t you think the son would have said something right up front?”

“Jim, it was when the son was very young. He might not remember,” Simon said. “Want to give them a try and see if you can find anyone from that time period to talk to about him?”

“Sure, I’ll start that today.” Jim made a quick note on the paper to call the hospital.

“I’ll talk to you later, Jim. Hope your day isn’t as bad as mine is going to be.”

“Bye, Simon. We’ll count on you for Saturday, right?”

“Poker night? You bet. I have to do something that’s normal to make me feel like I’m a human being.”

Hanging up the phone Jim buzzed Blair and asked him to come in to his office.

“What’s up, Jim?”

“You told me the other day that you’re really good with computers. Could you, by any chance, get into the Cascade Mental Hospital medical records, or better yet, their employment records?”

“I could get into the employment records without much difficulty. The medical records would be much harder, not to mention illegal.”

“We need to find out who worked at the hospital from 1960 to 1964. Could you look for me, get some names, addresses and phone numbers?”

“Yeah, I’ll do that right now. You want to hear about the new case?”

“Might as well.”

“Some parent’s heard about you finding the missing children and this couple’s teenage daughter is missing. They’d like your help to find her.”

“Now with teens, it’s usually just a case of running away.”

“They swear that she’s a straight A student, tons of friends, loved by all of the family and no apparent problems.”

Jim sat back in his chair. He could tell Blair was already caught up in this family’s worry. Maybe they could actually help before things got bad.

“Want to go over there before we start on the computer search?”

“I’ll call and tell them we’ll be coming by now.” Blair almost bolted out of Jim’s office to get to the phone at his desk.

Jim was actually looking for something else to do so they wouldn’t have to question anyone from the last case. He just didn’t feel up to it yet. He could still almost smell the odor of decomposing flesh. Jim shivered, grateful to be distracted as Blair buzzed his office.

“I’m ready whenever you are Jim.”

Jim grabbed his jacket and joined Blair in the outer office. He slung his arm over Blair’s shoulders, leaning down to breath in his favorite scent. Blair. He could feel himself relax as the haunting odor from yesterday was replaced by the always-intoxicating smell of his lover.

Blair glanced at him with a faintly worried look on his face. Jim smiled back hugging him closer to his side as they headed for the truck. Blair’s arm wrapped around Jim’s waist. If Jim needed a little physical reassurance Blair was more than happy to give it.

***

Blair kept his eye on Jim as they drove off, slowly relaxing, as his friend seemed to be fine.

“The couple’s names are Mr. and Mrs. Albert Tyler. Their daughter’s name is Taryn Tyler. She’s fifteen. That’s all I have right this minute.”

“We’ll check the folks out and then her room. Sometimes they leave something out of place the parents don’t even notice. Then we’ll check out her friends and other family members.”

Jim hoped this case would turn out better than the last one. Blair had had a tough time emotionally dealing with the parents and those poor kids. Thank god they had gotten to the rest in time. If only they had been in time to prevent the kidnapper from killing at all. Jim was glad the man was dead, but for the families’ sakes, he wished that, instead of committing suicide, the kidnapper had been able to go to trial and give some kind of closure to the families of the dead and recovered children.

Jim was worried that Blair would find his occupation too much to handle, even though Blair had been a source of strength for him, helping Jim deal with his own shattered emotions, and soothing his nightmares, and that wonderful feeling of Blair washing him clean in the shower. Jim felt that he was a burden on Blair and hadn’t been supportive for his lover.

***

The Tyler’s home was beautiful. It was huge, fancy and not at all what Jim was expecting. He stared around at the grounds while waiting for the doorbell to be answered. Blair whistled under his breath in admiration.

A pretty woman in her 40’s answered the door. “Mr. Ellison?”

Jim stuck his hand out. “Yes, and you are Mrs. Tyler?”

“Yes. So you must be Blair Sandburg.” She turned to smile at Blair. There was tightness to her features that showed she was not as calm as her demeanor would have them think. “Thank you for coming so quickly. I know that you’re still busy closing the other case. I appreciate it.”

They followed Mrs. Tyler into a grandiose entryway where another man rose as they entered. “Mr. Ellison and Mr. Sandburg, this is my husband, Albert Tyler.”

He was just as stately as his wife. Poised and dressed impeccably, his graying hair added to his distinguished air.

Mr. Tyler stuck his hand out for the firm handshakes from both men. “It’s very good of you to see us so soon, Mr. Ellison. We know how busy you are. You come highly recommended.”

“We know your father, Mr. Ellison.” Mrs. Tyler added.

“First of all, call me Jim and this is Blair. That makes us less formal. How do you know my dad?”

“All right, Jim, call me Albert then. We belong to the same country club as your father and he was talking about how you found those children. We asked him about you and he gave us your number and said we wouldn’t be sorry.”

“We need to sit down and just start from the beginning.”

Mrs. Tyler led them into the sitting room and they all made themselves comfortable. Blair sat on the couch beside Jim, Mr. and Mrs. Tyler on matching armchairs. “Where would you like to start Jim?”

“What did she usually do, Mrs. Tyler? Did you notice any changes in her behavior in the last two weeks before she left?”

“Taryn almost always did the same things. She didn’t miss any school, none of her music classes and her friends all say that she was happy.”

“We’ll need a list of all of her friends, male and female. Now, how about family? Anyone notice a difference that you know of?” Jim asked.

“We’ve been all over this with the police.” Albert sat forward. “Why rehash the same things? Can’t you find something new?”

“Albert, we have to start over again.” Jim was emphatic. “I need to hear this from the two of you. I wasn’t on the case earlier so let’s just act like this is the first time.”

“You’re right of course. I’m sorry.” Albert calmed down as his wife stretched out her arm to hold his hand. He squeezed her hand gently, trying to reassure her.

Blair finally spoke up, “Do you mind if we go through her room? While we’re up there, you can make a list of friends and relatives for us. We’ll need addresses and phone numbers.”

“That’s fine. Jim, you never mentioned what you charge. When and how do I pay you?” Albert asked, letting go of his wife’s hand as she went to grab a tablet and pen.

“I charge $500.00 a day for recovery cases, unless I have to leave the country. Then, of course, it’s a lot more.”

“Do I make a check out daily, then?” Mrs. Tyler asked setting the pad and pen on an end table.

“No, Ma’am, I’ll bill you weekly.” Jim stood, stepping aside as Blair stood as well. “In fact, if you have any questions about billing, this is the man to talk to. He’s my bookkeeper.”

Blair looked at him like he’d been smacked on the head by a two-by-four. He whispered, “What the hell are you doing, man?”

“We’ll get upstairs and begin our investigation.” Jim moved towards the hall pulling Blair along with him. Mrs. Tyler led them to their daughter’s room. She stood in the doorway watching Jim look over things until Jim turned to face her.

“Do you suppose we could do this in private?”

“Of course.” She shut the door behind her as she left.

“Man, what the hell was all that about me being your bookkeeper? I’m no bookkeeper. I have classes to teach, remember?”

“Chief, are you angry about that? I figured it would make you feel like part of the team.”

“Well, you should have asked me first. That’s all I’m saying, Jim. I do have another life too.” Blair was trying not to be angry at being taken for granted. He didn’t mind working for Jim but he needed time for school and his students. Bookkeeping hadn’t been part of his job duties when he’d talked to Carol.

“Sorry, Sandburg, it won’t happen again.” Jim was angry and hurt. He’d been trying to make Blair more a part of his life, not insult him. Now he remembered why he’d been so nervous about taking a chance on another relationship. He sucked at them. His stomach churned at the thought of losing Blair.

Blair could tell Jim was upset. Great, Sandburg. Piss off your boss/lover the second time you work with him. Good move.

Jim was walking stiffly around the room trying to see if anything looked out of place. Blair walked up behind him and touched his back to calm him. Blair could feel how tense he was. He stroked his back softly, “I want you to sift through all the odors. See if you come across anything that smells out of place.”

Pulling out his notebook, Blair began to ready himself for writing. Jim looked over and smiled as he closed his eyes, stood still in the middle of the room and analyzed his surroundings. “I can tell that she uses Vanilla musk as a perfume. I know it’s not her Mom’s. She uses something else that I’m not familiar with. I can smell the father’s aftershave, which is an expensive brand. I don’t know the name.” Jim opened his eyes, walked over to a different section of the room, and closed them again. “Over here I smell Charlie. Someone that uses a lot of Charlie cologne.” Blair was writing this all down as Jim was rattling it off. Jim opened up the closet. “Now I smell something a little out of place. I’m not sure what it is.”

“Jim, focus. I’ll leave my hand on your back so you can focus on two things: my touch and your sense of smell.”

Jim leaned down after a short time, pulled a few shoes out and found something plastic inside of one of the sneakers. Jim wasn’t sure what it was until he picked it up. “Whoa, Chief. This is a home pregnancy test.”

Blair looked at it closely. “Well, that might be why she’s out of here. It clearly indicates she’s pregnant.” Blair began to feel that this might not turn out too bad. If she was embarrassed to tell her parents she was pregnant she might have run off to stay with a friend.

“Well, it’s something to go on. Give me one of those plastic bags, please? The cops probably didn’t think to look inside her shoes. Why would she feel like she had to hide it instead of just throw it away?”

“I don’t know, Jim. It’s weird. I mean she has enough money to either have an abortion or to go somewhere out of town to have the baby and give it up for adoption if she needed to do that.”

“I’m a little worried about this hiding of the home pregnancy kit. It’s like she was afraid someone would come into the room at any second. I might want to ask her parents a few more questions and then we’ll call Simon for the rest of the files.”

“Jim, do you think maybe her family knows where she is?” Blair asked with his eyes wide.

“I don’t know, Chief. We’ll see what they say when we go downstairs.” They moved downstairs to rejoin the parents.

“Mrs. Tyler, was Taryn dating anyone in particular?”

“She was hoping that the new boy in her class would ask her out, but no, other than that, she was seeing no one. Did you find anything while you were up there?”

“We did find something, Ma’am. ” He pulled out the plastic bag holding the pregnancy test and showed Mrs. Tyler.

“There has to be some mistake. She’s not even dating. We were just talking about it right before she left. She said she wished she felt more comfortable with boys her age.” Mrs. Tyler dropped the pad she was writing on, clearly upset.

“Well, we’ll have to turn this evidence over to the police.”

“Mr. Tyler, do you have any idea’s about this?” Jim switched back to calling him Mr. Tyler. Blair looked at him oddly.

Mr. Tyler was affronted. “Of course I don’t know where she is.”

“Sir, that’s not what I asked you.” Jim’s voiced hardened. “Do you know anything about her being pregnant?”

“No, I don’t know about that either. I object to you telling the police about this since it’s our daughter’s reputation that’s at stake. I beg you to please reconsider.”

“We’ll be doing some more checking and I’ll get back to you as soon as I have any further information.”

Mrs. Tyler walked them to the door handing him the list he’d asked for. “Do you have any idea what’s going on, Mr. Ellison?”

“No Ma’am, not yet. It’s too soon to make any guesses or decisions on where we go from here. I’ll call you if I have anything new to add.”

As soon as they got in the truck, Blair questioned him. “Okay, you wanna tell me what’s going on, Jim? You were like totally bugging out in there.”

“Chief, what the hell do you mean by bugging out? Did I do something wrong?” Jim asked seriously, wondering if he’d given his suspicions away.

“Well, one minute you were asking Mrs. Tyler questions, showing her the pregnancy test and the next you were bugging out about Mr. Tyler. Did you hear something other than what he said?”

“No, I heard his heart beat almost double when I showed the pregnancy test to his wife. He’s probably been looking for it all along.”

“Oh Jesus, please don’t tell me that he killed her and it was his baby.”

“I don’t think so. I think he knows where she is. We need to find out where he goes and what he does. We also need to monitor his calls. I think he has her stashed away somewhere. I don’t think she’s dead. However, I’m not sure about the baby. It might be his, might not.”

“Jesus, people are weird. Why wouldn’t he just tell his wife where she was? That makes no sense to me.”

Jim made a u-turn and headed back the way they’d come. Blair grabbed onto the door to keep his balance, and sat quietly until they pulled up down the road form the Tyler’s residence. “What are we doing Jim?”

“We’re going to see what he does today and where he goes.”

As if on cue, Mr. Tyler walked out the door, got in his car, and drove off. Jim followed at a safe distance using his enhanced vision to keep the other car in sight. Blair’s voice and hand on his arm grounded him when he had trouble. It was such a relief not to worry about the debilitating headaches that came from using his senses. When the car eventually stopped outside a deserted building, both Jim and Blair got a bad feeling inside. As Mr. Tyler got out of his car and walked into the building Jim unbuckled his seat belt and opened the door.

“Chief, stay in the truck. If I don’t come out soon, call Simon and tell him where I am.”

“No way, man. I’m going with you. You might zone and then I’d be out here all alone.”

“All right, but don’t do anything to draw attention to yourself.”

“Like I would ever do anything to draw attention to myself,” Blair mumbled as he followed Jim into the building.

Once inside Jim reached out with his hearing only to grab his ears and wince at the clattering sound of metal being knocked over. Blair reached for him immediately.

“Easy, Jim. Let’s try that again. Raise the level of your hearing just a little at a time and see if you can hear Mr. Tyler or Taryn.”

Jim breathed deeply and followed Blair’s advice. Then he heard a voice talking. “I hear Mr. Tyler. He seems to be talking to someone.” He raised his hearing more, listening for heartbeats. “I don’t hear any other heartbeats, though. Just his. Oh Jesus, Blair, I smell a dead body. Call Simon and tell him to get out here now.”

“Man, what is it with you and dead bodies?” Blair hit the speed dial for Simon. “Simon Banks, please.”

“Banks.”

“Simon, this is Blair Sandburg. We’re at a warehouse on 30th and Kolb. Jim said that there’s a dead body here.”

“Okay, stay on the line, Blair. We’ll be there in about five minutes. Don’t let Jim do anything stupid.”

“Jim, Simon said to hang back and don’t do anything stupid.”

“Okay.” Jim said quietly. Then Blair watched as Jim continued to listen to Mr. Tyler talking.

“He’s talking to her as if she’s alive. He’s saying that it’s all her fault that she can’t go home.” Jim said with tears in his eyes.

“What’s the deal? Two bad cases in two days?” Blair asked, leaning into Jim for some much needed hugging. Jim put his arms around Blair. “I think he might be getting ready to kill himself, Chief. I better go and talk to him.”

“Jim, Simon said not to do anything stupid.”

“I’m not going to do anything stupid, Blair. I’m going to see if I can stop him from doing the same thing that happened yesterday.”

“Way to piss him off, Sandburg, like you need to push yourself out of his life anymore.” Blair whispered to himself.

Jim was back in a flash and hugged Blair tightly. “Chief, you’re not upsetting me. You’re not pushing yourself out of my life. We’re fine. Just stay here and wait for Simon. I’ll be with Mr. Tyler.” Then, without thinking, he leaned down and kissed Blair’s sweet lips. “I love you.”

“Oh man, do I ever love your sweet talk.” Blair kissed Jim lightly before letting him go.

When Simon got there about five minutes later, Blair pointed out where Jim had gone and the cops all took off in that direction. Simon stopped Blair from following them.

“Better stay here Sandburg until we know what we’re dealing with.”

Blair leaned against the wall, pissed off that they wouldn’t let him find out if Jim was all right. He needn’t have worried since Jim strolled up to him seconds later.

“We can go now, Chief.”

Blair followed him out of the warehouse. When they got in the truck, Jim leaned his head onto the steering wheel and sighed. “She was dead. He was getting ready to shoot himself. I didn’t let him. Now he’ll probably go to a mental institution and be out in a few years. Pisses me off, Chief. She was a nice looking girl. I don’t mean as in just physically. She looked sweet.” He glanced over at Blair and Blair saw the unshed tears in Jim’s eyes.

“Jim, let’s get back to the office. We have work to do and then we can think about something else.”

As Jim started the truck and stared out the side window. “Simon said he’d go and tell Mrs. Tyler.”

There was nothing more that Blair could add to make Jim feel better. Instead, he put his hand inside Jim’s, which was sitting on the bench seat of the truck. Jim squeezed Blair’s hand and instantly Blair knew that Jim had needed that touch.

When they got to the office, Blair tried to get Jim to relax. “Jim, why don’t you rest awhile? You didn’t get much sleep last night. I’ll make those phone calls for you. Then I’ll get into the computer and find the names of those employee’s that you need.”

“Okay, I’m just going to lie down for about twenty minutes, all right?”

“I’ll wake you in twenty. Rest. Things will look better when you’re done.” Blair sat at Carol’s desk, picked up the phone and started making his phone calls.

Jim sank down on the sofa in the office, staring listlessly at the floor before lying down and pulling the afghan Carol had given him over his body. He was trying to figure out how anyone could do that to their own child just to save their reputation. That was his last thought as he fell asleep. When he woke up about an hour later, Blair was busy on the computer so he got busy doing the paper work for the last case. At least it was simple. There was no way he was billing Mrs. Tyler. She’d lost her daughter and her husband all in one day. Jim was not sending her a $500.00 bill on top of it. It wouldn’t be his style.

Blair was aware that Jim was now awake but left him alone to do his paperwork, thinking that was probably best. Keeping busy wasn’t always a bad thing.

Before Blair knew it, he looked at his watch and it was time for them to go home. He’d stayed busy all day long. He looked in and saw Jim just sitting in his chair staring out the window. Quietly he walked up to embrace his lover, wrapping his arms around from behind in a firm hug. His head dropped onto a strong shoulder. Blair sighed, finding himself comforted even as he offered comfort to Jim. “Jim, are you all right?”

“Chief, I don’t understand how someone could hurt their children this way. We’ve had two cases in two days and both of them had to do with insane fathers. I find that scary. I don’t know if I want to take any more missing children cases. It is usually too late to help anyway.”

“Jim, I realize that you’re upset but if it weren’t for you, all of the children that made it out of that madman’s clutches wouldn’t have had a chance. You might not have been able to save them all but you’ve kept the parents from spending the rest of their lives wondering what happened to their children. I think you should keep doing what you do. You’re a good man, Jim. You just need some down time and to realize you’re not superman. In fact, I have a way to relax you if you’d like to try tonight.”

Jim gave Blair an odd look over his shoulder as he pulled away and swiveled his chair to face Blair. He felt overwhelmed by the care and concern emanating from the most important man in his life. Blair was always thinking of him. He felt an overwhelming surge of affection and love. “Come here.”

Blair walked forward and Jim pulled him closer, tightly clutching him around the waist, burying his face into Blair’s stomach. Jim loved Blair’s scent; it soothed and calmed him. He felt the tension ease away as Blair ran his fingers through Jim’s hair.

Jim sighed, contented. “How about we close the blinds, lock up and do some of that relaxing right now?” He listened to the rumble of words echoing in the ear pressed against Blair’s chest as his lover answered affirmatively and gave his head a final caress.

Blair moved away so Jim could stand and close the blinds. “Want to lock that front door, Blair?”

Blair went out into the main part of the office and locked up tight. As he walked into Jim’s office, he closed and locked that door, too. He definitely didn’t want anyone walking in on them. Returning he saw Jim had the sofa made into a bed. A huge smile lit up his face. “Thinking of everything, eh, hot stuff?”

“Well, I had to sleep here sometimes so I invested in a good sleeper sofa. Made sense to me.”

Blair started laughing at Jim’s stab at logic, reminding him of Mr. Spock, and pushed Jim back onto the bed. As Jim went down, he pulled Blair with him. Both men were laughing by this time. “You laughing at my technique, Blair?”

“Never man, never. I was laughing at your Logical Spock impersonation.”

“What? Want to run that by me again?”

“Sometimes you just put so much thought into everything. I was kidding about thinking of everything. Right away you have a whole explanation as to why you have a sleeper sofa in your office. You crack me up, tough guy.”

“Well, I don’t want you thinking that anyone has ever slept in it besides me.”

Blair looked over at Jim incredulously, “No one has ever spent the night with you here?”

“No. I’ve never even considered it.” Jim moved closer to Blair and licked suddenly dry lips, anticipation and desire heating his body. He savored the sweet tinge of arousal emanating from his partner. He watched as Blair sat up to pull off his shirts, his passion heightened by each new area of exposed skin. God, Blair was beautiful.

Blair slid off his shoes and stood up to remove his pants. The whole time, Jim was still and quiet, watching him with an enraptured look in his steamy blue eyes. Blair shivered. He climbed over beside his lover. “Hey, Jim, wanna actually take some of those clothes off? Or am I going to be the only one naked?”

Jim tore himself away from the tempting imp beside him. Standing on slightly shaky limbs he began to undress, never once lifting his gaze off of Blair.

This time it was Blair’s turn to relax and admire his love. God, Jim was gorgeous. Not that Jim thought he was but Jim had to know what he did to Blair. Blair curled his toes in anticipation of finally being able to reach out and caress all that firm smooth muscled skin. The fire in Jim’s eyes starting his blood boiling. By the time Jim got back onto the bed Blair was more than ready. His heated body arched up wildly as Jim moaned, using his own muscled weight to push Blair back against the mattress. Their kisses were needy and passionate, hands sliding desperately across sweat slickened skin. Jim and Blair couldn’t get close enough; intertwined limb to limb, skin kissing and rubbing hotly, mouths clinging, tongues searching, devouring, passion flaming through their blood.

“No.” Jim whimpered trying frantically to control his cascading senses long enough to regain control. His efforts were hampered by Blair’s continued assault.

“No?” Eyes glittering with arousal, Blair lowered his hand down Jim’s body, gripping and stroking, enjoying the choked gasp as Jim cried out helplessly.

Jim managed to capture the marauding hands and hold Blair slightly away. “No.” Jim nuzzled his distraught lover. “I really don’t want to come that way. I want you in me. Fuck me, Blair.”

“Oh yeah, big man, I can do that. I can do that forever.” Blair was relieved as he started kissing Jim again. He loved the feeling of being deep inside Jim; reaching deep inside his body as Jim had reached deep inside Blair’s own heart. Pulling back, he tried to catch his breath. “Do we have any lube here or condoms?”

“Shit.” Jim flopped onto his back.

“Hang on a minute, Jim. Don’t give up so easily.” Blair jumped up and ran to dig in his backpack, finally scrounging up a condom and some lube. “Voila.”

“You’re good, Chief. You’re very good.” Jim said laughing.

He rolled back onto the bed beside Jim. For a moment they were both still, amazed at the depth of emotion shared in their eyes. Blair kept his gaze on the body stretched out so invitingly before him as he uncapped the lube, pouring a generous amount into his palm. As before, Blair felt that familiar protective tenderness clutching at his heart. He leaned down to softly kiss Jim’s forehead.

“Blair…” Jim moved impatiently. The wait was killing him. He wanted Blair in him now. He slid his legs up and apart exposing himself, begging for attention. Jim half sobbed in relief as Blair soothed him, reaching down with careful, slick fingers to probe and massage, taking his time to stretch and prepare Jim for an impassioned fucking. Jim couldn’t stand it anymore. “C’mon Chief. Fuck me before I come from your fingers. I want to feel you inside.”

After helping Jim onto his hands and knees, positioning a pillow beneath his hips for comfort, Blair tried not to come as he held himself to roll on the condom. Gritting his teeth and breathing deeply he managed to cover the condom with a generous amount of lube. He slid more lube into Jim and then himself into Jim. Pushing steadily forward, he slowed down as Jim’s breathing became a little harsh. Finally, Jim said, “More baby. Now.”

Blair pushed in a little further, loving how Jim’s body seemed to welcome him. He loved how Jim would wrap around him in bed, hugging him close. It made him feel so cherished and cared for. Oh Jesus, don’t think about the hugging part or you’ll come, Sandburg.

“Chief, I want more. Come on, I can take it.” Jim begged. Blair loved when Jim begged. It seemed so out of character for him, but it turned Blair on big time. He pushed his cock harder into Jim’s ass, hearing Jim moan in anticipation, not pain. Holding still for a few minutes he realized it was safe and started moving slowly. As Jim loosened up a little bit, Blair started pounding into him, hitting Jim’s prostate every single time. Blair pulled all the way out and then rammed back in, stabbing the prostate. By this time Jim was screaming, “I need to come Chief, I have to come.”

Blair grabbed Jim’s cock and started stroking along with his thrusts. Jim writhed frantically beneath him. It didn’t take long for Jim to come, screaming “Blair!” Blair lost it then screaming Jim’s name in return before collapsing onto Jim’s exhausted and panting body.

Jim flattened down onto the sofa, still breathing very hard. “Now that roll call’s finished, can I tell you something?”

Laughing, Blair managed to lift a weary arm long enough to give Jim a squeeze, “Sure. You can tell me anything.”

“I love you.” Jim said simply and firmly. Blair pulled gently out of Jim, taking the condom off and tossing it in the trash. He pulled Jim into his arms. “I love you, Jim. You have no idea what you do for me.”

“I’m so tired, Chief. Could we nap a short while?” Jim eased closer, nuzzling at Blair’s neck. His eyes drifted shut, the warmth of Blair’s body and intoxicating scent making him feel comfortable and protected from the outside world. He sighed, wanting to lay here forever.

“Sure. Go to sleep. I love you so much, Jim.”

Blair peeked down and saw that Jim was already sound asleep. Once he was sure Jim was sleeping deeply enough, Blair moved cautiously out of bed to dress, and got the keys to Jim’s truck and loft. He wrote a note in case Jim woke and headed out to pick up clean clothes and supplies for the next day.

***

At the loft, he packed two bags, one for each of them. He also remembered to pack condoms and lube for the office. This brought a smile to Blair’s face. Who would’ve thought I’d be with anyone like Jim Ellison, let alone fucking him? Man, he loved that guy. No one made Blair feel as good about himself as Jim did. Everything about Jim made Blair tingle.

Letting himself quietly back in to the office, Blair was relieved to see Jim still sleeping. He closed and locked the office door, hung up their clothing, put away their supplies and shivered as he got naked and climbed into bed. Blair pulled the covers up around them and snuggled up close as fast as he could.

“Jesus, Chief, your feet are freezing.” Jim whined plaintively. “What the hell have you been doing?”

“I went to the loft and picked up our things for tomorrow. I hope you don’t mind. Now I just want to cuddle up and sleep.”

“I can handle that, Chief,” Jim mumbled back sleepily. “I love you.”

“I love you, Jim.” Blair whispered. He relaxed, sinking down into the soft mattress and Jim. Mmm. So cozy. He drifted off to sleep.

***

Both men were still sound asleep in the morning when the phone rang, making them jump. Jim staggered out of bed and answered it. “Ellison Investigations, may I help you?”

“Jim, this is Simon. I went by your loft last night but you weren’t there. Then I remembered that sometimes you slept at the office. Do you mind if I come by and talk to you?”

“Could you give me a few moments, Simon? I have to shower. I was still sleeping.”

“Sure, I’ll be there in an hour. How’s that? Do you have coffee there or should I pick some up?”

“I have a coffee maker. I’ll start that now. See you in an hour.” Jim hung up the phone. He yawned expansively; running his fingers through already mussed hair and stretched out his muscles in an attempt to wake up. Mornings were getting more difficult. Maybe it was a lack of enough sleep. Smiling to himself, he looked over to the cause. It was worth it.

Blair had a look of horror on his face. “I’ll take off and come in later, okay?”

“No, that’s not okay.” Jim looked insulted. “If Simon can’t handle me having you here all night that’s a problem he has to deal with.”

“I’ll make the coffee while you shower.” Blair couldn’t keep the huge grin off his face as he realized Jim wasn’t ashamed of their relationship. He’d been worried that they might have to hide it from Jim’s friends. It was such a relief to know he would be included in all of Jim’s life and not kept lurking in the background.

Jim realized it took very little to make this wonderful man happy. Blair was actually bouncing. He looked so cute. God, Jim only hoped that he’d let him make him happy forever.

“I was hoping you’d join me in the shower, Chief, when you’re done with the coffee.” Jim spoke over his shoulder as he disappeared into the bathroom.

“Oh yeah, I can do that.” Highly motivated to hurry, Blair made the coffee, ripped the sheets off of the bed, manhandled it into the sofa again, and was in the warm shower about five minutes later, drooling over the wet, glistening expanse of skin that was all his.

He had a momentary qualm before Jim swooped down and tried to suck the breath from his body. Moaning, he tried to remember what he’d just been thinking.

“Simon!” Blair squirmed out from Jim’s arms. “Jim, this isn’t a good idea. Simon’s going to be here soon and I really don’t want to be fucking in the shower when he gets here.” Blinking, Blair tried to get the water out of his eyes long enough to see if Jim was taking this seriously.

Jim cornered Blair in the stall, dropping wet kisses along his neck, nuzzling his way through thick damp hair to suckle the tender earlobe, tugging on it gently before whispering suggestively “So we’ll be quick.” Blair caught a fleeting glimpse of flashing white teeth as Jim smiled. Weak kneed, he was forced to lean against the stall for balance as Jim’s hands and mouth God, that mouth moved down his body as Jim slowly sank to his knees.

Jim opened his senses and basked in the scent, sight, and feel of Blair. He could hardly believe this was all his. Blair was so good to him and he vowed to be oh so good to Blair in return. Breathing deep, Jim leaned forward and took Blair’s beautiful cock into his mouth and started sucking. The response was all he’d hoped for. Jim was still inexperienced and insecure about certain activities, so he felt smug and satisfied at the choked off gurgle when Blair cried out and got a mouth full of water. Strong fingers clutched him desperately as Blair tried to catch his breath, body thrusting in blatant need.

Blair held the back of Jim’s head, still spitting out water, trying not to shove his cock all the way down Jim’s throat. Oh, man. Jim sucks cock so well. Blair knew he wasn’t going to last much longer. Looking down and watching Jim fisting his own cock just made Blair even more excited. “Almost there, Jim. Almost there. Make me come.”

Jim freed one hand and slid a soapy finger into Blair, sucking harder while trying to reach deep inside him. He must have hit the right spot because Blair came with a scream that hurt Jim’s ears, and collapsed back against the wall. It wasn’t enough to stop Jim. He kept fisting himself until he came, yelling out Blair’s name.

When Jim eventually got the strength to stand, Blair threw limp arms around him in an affectionate hug. “That was great Jim. Man, I love you so much. Thank you.”

They helped get each other soapy and rinsed off.

“What’s the thank you for?” Jim really wanted to know. He hadn’t done anything one lover wouldn’t do for another.

“For loving me. You’re my first.” Blair stepped out of the shower before he could see Jim’s face. He still felt insecure about exposing himself emotionally.

Jim smiled when he realized that Blair got just as nervous as he. They made a good pair. As they both toweled off and dressed, Jim’s mind wandered, thinking of every night he’d spent with Blair. Yeah. They were really good together.

***

Jim was dressed and drinking coffee as he walked into the reception area and found Blair sitting at the desk, typing. “So were you able to find anything in the hospital employment records?

“Yeah, I have a lot to tell you, but we were kind of busy last night, so I figured it could wait till today.” Blair was absolutely glowing as he smiled up at Jim. Jim almost inhaled his coffee. Jesus, Ellison, get a grip. You’ve been in love before. You’re still stuck in the honeymoon phase where everything he does is perfect. You know better than that. Oh shit, whom am I kidding? He is perfect. He’s a beautiful man, inside and out. Man. I’m in love big time. Jim forced his mind back onto his work.

“Want to fill me in, or do you want me to guess?”

“Very funny, tough guy. I have a list made up. I thought we could check these people out during the next few days. It’ll take me awhile to find out when we can talk to them.”

“Okay, Chief. You did a really good job. Thanks.”

“Jim, it’s my job. You don’t thank a person for doing it right.” Blair was pleased anyway, smiling. He turned away from Jim as the office door opened and Simon walked in.

“Good morning, gentlemen. Did you find out anything else about the Turner case yet?” Simon was hopeful.

“Not yet, Simon. We’re going to check out this list Blair has made up of employees who worked there during the right time period.”

“So, do you have any clue as to when I can close this case? It’s pissing me off just thinking about it.” Simon growled. “I want to get it over and done with.”

Blair grabbed the list and turned to the phone, “I’ll start the calls right now and set up the appointments. We’ll be able to tell you more after that.”

“Thank you, Sandburg. I appreciate all the trouble you’re going through to help Carol out. She’ll be grateful when she returns.”

Jim caught the twinge of pain that crossed Blair’s face. He could tell Simon had no idea he’d just hurt the man’s feelings. Blair was contributing more than just a list and phone calls and Simon was treating him like an ordinary fill-in secretary.

“Simon, did I tell you that Blair is my new partner?”

“Shit, I’m sorry, Sandburg. I had no idea. I thought you were just a temp.”

“Actually, Simon, I haven’t made up my mind yet about what I want to do. It might take away too much time from my classes at the university.

Blair looked over at Jim and saw the frown on Jim’s face. “And I’ll talk to you later on, you shit,” he whispered.

A smile teased at the corners of Jim’s mouth and Simon wondered what in the hell he missed.

“Jim, I need to ask you something. I know you have something going on with your senses. I know that you can sense more than most people. What happened with you the last few days is way beyond any normal human ability. I don’t know, or understand how you do what you do. As your friend I’d like to understand what’d going on with you.” Simon was clearly frustrated and concerned.

“Chief, I think it might be time to fill Simon in on what you told me.”

Blair stood up and began to pace worriedly. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, Jim. Not a good idea at all.”

“Calm down, Chief. Simon will keep this to himself. We can trust him. Can’t we Simon?”

“Of course you can trust me, Jim. You never have to doubt that. Now tell me, kid.” Simon ordered.

Blair sat down and started explaining to Simon all about the sensory problems Jim was having. Then he went on to tell Simon about his Sentinel project, and that he was convinced Jim was a Sentinel. Simon sat there, but Blair could tell he thought they were both nuts.

“Jim, you’re going to have to prove to him that you can do this. So show him something.”

Jim walked over to the window and saw Joel sitting in Simon’s car. “Joel’s sitting in your car right now.”

“Jim, Sandburg could have told me that much.”

“I wasn’t done yet. He picked up his cell phone. He just dialed 555-1279. He’s talking to someone named Molly and asking her how she is after the accident. I don’t want to listen to that anymore. Now he’s hanging up the phone. He’s calling you.” Simon’s phone went off right at that moment and both Blair and Simon jumped.

“Banks.”

“Sir, it’s Joel. I was wondering if there is a problem. You’ve been in there a while.”

“No, Joel. I’ll be out in a few moments.” Simon was beginning to believe this was real. He eyed Jim in wonder as he hung up the telephone.

“Simon, Joel’s now putting cream and sugar, no, sweet and low, in his coffee.”

“Jim, I can’t believe this is happening. No wonder you did so well in the last few cases. This could come in very useful. You’ll be able to have the upper hand on our cases. I can count on you to help me from time to time?”

“Simon, I’ve always been willing to help you. Even before I knew how to focus and use these abilities. Now it’s much easier…thanks to Blair.”

“Thanks, Jim.” Blair was flushed and pleased by the compliment. “Now I’m going to make your job easier and see if I can make some appointments to talk to those former employees.” Blair left Jim’s office for Carol’s. Simon and Jim needed some time alone to talk.

“What else can you tell with those senses, Jim?”

“The reason I was suspicious of Mr. Tyler yesterday is because I could hear the sudden change in his heartbeat. It began beating entirely too hard when I asked certain questions. He was also sweating more than he should have been in that air-conditioned room. Those are some of the things that I can do now.”

Simon stared down for a moment, his demeanor serious. “Jim, the parents of the little girls you found in the basement would like to meet you and thank you in person.”

“No.” Jim’s face paled slightly as he backed up to the window.

“No? Are you sure Jim? They just want to thank you in person.”

“I meant what I said. I don’t want to be put in front of those people. I can’t handle it. I just can’t do it.”

“Jim, I got a hold of a few employees and…” Blair’s voice trailed off. “Jim?”

“Jim, please reconsider,” Simon pleaded. “They really want to meet with you.”

“No, Simon. I don’t want to.” Jim was absolutely adamant. He still looked slightly sick and Simon could see he wasn’t going to get anywhere with the man right now.

“Okay, well, I’ll let you two get to work. I’ll talk to you later today. See you Sandburg.” Simon sighed reluctantly and left, deciding to try talking to Jim later. Maybe Blair would be able to get Jim to see there was nothing he needed to be wary off. Simon still thought it would be good for Jim, the kids, and the parents.

“What was that all about, Jim? What’s wrong? You’re white as a sheet.”

“Simon wanted me to meet the parents of those children but I just can’t.” Jim turned from the window and sat at his desk, rubbing wearily at his forehead.

“That’s understandable. I don’t blame you.” Blair said going over and rubbing Jim’s shoulders until he started to loosen up and relax.

“You managed to get a hold of some of the employees?” He tried to distract Blair. God that felt too good. He tried to focus on his job.

“I managed to set up about eight appointments.” Blair kept up the massage, gratified as he felt the tense muscles slowly relax.

“When?”

“All within the next two days. We have four set up today and four tomorrow.” Blair paused, resting his head on Jim’s. His hands slid caressingly down over strong shoulders and onto the hard muscled chest. He hugged his lover lightly, dropping a kiss on the soft thinning hair.

“When’s the first appointment?” Jim was disappointed as Blair (stood and) backed off, looking down at him analytically.

“In about an hour. Want to lie down and rest?” Blair noticed Jim looked less pale, but seemed tired still, and stressed.

“Do I look like I need a nap?” Jim snapped.

“Well, you sound like it. What’s wrong, Jim?”

“I’m tired. I’m tired of dealing with people. I’m tired of doing too little too late.”

“Well, you’re in the wrong line of work then.” Blair sighed, watching as Jim hunched over the desk rubbing his forehead and under his eyes.

“Look Jim, why don’t you lie down for awhile and I’ll wake you when we need to leave for our first appointment.”

“Fine, Chief. Whatever you say.” He rose angrily and flung himself down on the sofa in his office. He had the feeling Blair wasn’t going to let this go until he cooperated. Maybe it wasn’t so great having someone spend so much time focused on him. Jim cringed mentally, feeling guilty for even thinking that. Blair had gone overboard showing Jim how much he cared for him, even to the point of ignoring his own feelings and discomfort. Since they had met, Blair had shown nothing but care and affection for him, and an extremely high level of trust.

Blair left Jim alone and went back to the front office feeling a little nervous. He was pushing Jim. He had to stop doing that or he might lose him. He was finding out his lover could be pretty bull-headed when he was upset.

“Blair?” The hesitant tone stopped Blair in his tracks.

Blair turned back and leaned against the office doorway. “Yeah?”

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I’m not angry with you. I’m angry with me. Call Simon and tell him I’ll meet the parents if there are no camera’s there. All right?”

“Sure, whatever you say, Jim.”

When Blair just turned to leave again, Jim couldn’t stand it. He leaned up on his elbow. “Come here.”

Blair walked stiffly over to the sofa and Jim pulled him off balance and into his arms. “I’m sorry, baby. I really am.” Blair remained tense.

“I know, Jim. I’m sorry, too. I was pushing you. I won’t from now on.” Blair began to struggle to get up.

Jim could feel the shaking in his partner’s body and began to panic. “Blair, what’s up? Talk to me.” God, don’t let me have spoiled this already.

“Nothing’s up, Jim. Just drop it. I’ve got work to do before our appointment. Rest for awhile.” He managed to pull free and stand. Blair tried a slight, supposedly reassuring smile to ease the worry on Jim’s face. “We’re okay.”

Jim let go and vowed to talk things out tonight. He wasn’t going to take any chances on losing the best thing that had ever happened to him. However, for now, he just lay back to rest as his friend suggested.

The phone rang and Jim heard Blair answer. “No, he’s out right now. Can I take a message?”

Expanding his hearing Jim recognized his father’s voice on the line.

“Yes, Mr. Ellison, I have it written down. I’ll have him call you as soon as he’s back.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m Jim’s new assistant while Carol’s out of town.”

“He’s got a man working as his receptionist?” William Ellison sounded skeptical and displeased.

“Why not, sir? I’m no different than anyone else.”

“Well, I certainly hope not, because appearances are everything in business.” Now he sounded like Blair’s English teacher.

Jumping nervously as a big muscled hand reached over him to grab the phone, Blair released it to Jim. He hadn’t heard the other man coming up behind him. So much for Jim getting any rest.

“Hi, dad. What’s up?”

“Hi, Jimmy. We were wondering if you’d like to go out for dinner tonight. You deserve a break and a reward after everything you’ve done for those missing children and their families. Not to mention I would just like to see you.”

“Sorry, Dad. I have tons to do tonight. I’m still doing the follow up on one of my cases.” Jim was glad he had an excuse. He just wasn’t up to dinner with his father tonight.

“Steven said to tell you that he has someone he wants you to meet. She’s very pretty.” William coaxed, disappointed. He wasn’t used to taking no for an answer.

“Dad, tell him not to worry about it. I’m seeing someone and it’s serious.”

Blair just stood there with his mouth hanging open, not knowing where to go or what to do. He was thrilled that Jim called them serious and was willing to admit their relationship to his father, and petrified at how Ellison Sr. was going to take this. The last thing he wanted was to add more stress to Jim’s already stressful life. His lover had enough to adjust to right now with his senses and an unexpected lifestyle change. He closed his eyes and prayed for the best.

“Well, who is she, Jimmy? Anyone we know?”

“No, Dad, you don’t know him. His name’s Blair Sandburg. You just got off the phone with him.”

Blair had a feeling he was being used in a tug of war game between the two men. A muscle in Jim’s jaw line was jumping erratically, and he looked distinctly confrontational. This was not good. That ‘in your face’ announcement wasn’t exactly the most tactful way to come out to his father. But then he didn’t get the impression tact was something Jim spent much time using.

“A man, Jimmy? What in the hell are you talking about?”

“You asked, Dad. I’m telling you the truth. So either put up with it, or not. I really don’t care.”

“The man that answered the telephone?” William repeated stunned. “Son, are you sure you know what you’re doing?” He couldn’t believe this. It had to be a mistake.

“Yes, Dad, it was and I am sure. Now I have work to do. I have to go.” Jim’s teeth were practically grinding. He’d known his Dad wasn’t going to like this. He could hear the displeasure in that voice. It was a familiar sound.

“Jimmy, please think about this. It’s not the smartest thing you’ve ever done. I’m sure this must be a phase you’re going through, or some kind of mid-life crisis. Don’t do anything you might regret. Why don’t you come to dinner and we can discuss this? If something’s wrong, let Steven and I help you.”

“Nothing is wrong, Dad. You’re not listening to me. I’ve found someone I feel serious about. I’m sorry you’re disappointed that it’s a man, but I’m not going to give him up just to try to please you. I’m never going to be good enough. Nevertheless, I’m okay with that. I’ll talk to you later.” Jim couldn’t stand this anymore. “Goodbye.” Slamming down the phone, he stalked into his office and shut the door firmly behind him.

Blair continued to stand there with his mouth hanging open. What was that all about? What was Jim doing? Was he insane? Was William going to hire a hit man to take out his son’s lover? Okay, Blair, you’ve been reading too many cheap novels. He was hesitant about checking on Jim. Would he think Blair was being too pushy? After the way Jim reacted to him this afternoon he wasn’t sure he wanted to take the chance. Anxiously shifting back and forth on the balls of his feet, he tried to make up his mind. Concern finally won out over discretion and he went to brave the lion in his den. From the resounding slam of the closing door he knew Jim wanted to be alone.

Knocking on the door and getting no reply, Blair opened it to find Jim on his knees on the floor, holding his face in his hands and groaning.

Wrapping him up in his arms, Blair rocked him gently, tucking him in as close as possible. “It’s okay, Jim. I’ll be here for you. No matter what happens. I’ll always be here.”

Jim soaked in the scent and feel of his lover. Comforted and quiet, he let his senses take over, his headache drifting away with the emotional pain. From a distance he heard the outside door open and the sound of voices. He pulled away, reluctantly.

“There’s someone here. Let me get cleaned up and then bring them on in.”

“Okay.” It still took a few more seconds before Blair forced himself to let go and allow Jim to stand. He left Jim reluctantly, unable to ignore the other man’s sad expression, and headed for the outer office.

Feeling silly and overly emotional, Jim entered his private bathroom. He could hear the faint sound of Blair talking with someone but didn’t have the urge to turn up his hearing to make out what they were saying. He’d find out soon enough. Turning on the cold water and splashing it over his face, he tried to calm down. The cool water felt good and refreshing. He could face his potential clients now. He pressed the towel over his face patting it dry.

Blair knocked softly on the door before opening it for a second and handing him his sunglasses to put on. It made him smile, as it wasn’t exactly sunny in his office right now.

Smoothing his hair back in place Jim decided he looked okay. He donned his sunglasses and went out to seat himself behind his desk. He could hear Blair’s explanation as they were coming in.

“My partner’s suffering a bad headache today so don’t be alarmed when you see the sunglasses. It’s not a hangover. He suffers from migraines.”

“Oh, that’s too bad. Do you want us to come back tomorrow?” The woman sounded sympathetic.

“No, come on in. Mr. Ellison’s ready to talk to you now.” Blair opened up the door to Jim’s office.

“Mr. Ellison, this is Mr. and Mrs. Alex Hayne. They used to work at the Cascade Mental Facility. Alex and Margaret, this is Jim Ellison.”

“Please sit down and relax.” Jim spoke softly, leaning forward on his desk.

Both of them sat down and were watching Jim like a hawk.

“I have some questions about the time you both worked at the Cascade Mental Facility from 1960-1965. Do you recall any of the residents or patients?”

“Well, sure we do. We have worked there most of our lives. In fact, that’s probably why we’re here. Is it because of Mr. Turner?” Margaret Hayne seemed very interested. Her husband looked more wary.

“Margaret, we can’t say much. You know that.”

“Well, he can ask some questions and maybe we could just shake our heads yes or no.”

Jim liked her. She wanted to help. “All right, I’ll try not to keep you too long. Do you remember Mr. Theodore Turner, Sr.?”

Both of them nodded their heads yes. Jim went on with the next one. “Do you recall if he had ever been accused of sexually attacking anyone?

Again, both of them nodded their heads in the affirmative.

“Was it reported to his doctor?”

“Okay, I’m just going to tell you but I can’t swear to this under oath.” Margaret warned. “He was brought in because he was suspected of killing his children by his first marriage. His second wife had him forcibly committed for a mental examination.”

“Was he charged with murdering them?”

“No, he wasn’t. They never found the family. He told the doctor and the rest of us that he had killed them. They were evil. Then he said he planned on cleaning up his new family, too.”

“No one did anything about it?”

“Well, of course we did. We called the wife in. She was warned and Mr. Turner wasn’t released until a doctor saw fit to say he was sane,” Alex Hayne responded, defensively. “The police couldn’t do anything, as there was no proof that he had actually committed a crime. The doctor never thought he’d follow through on any of his threats. It was thought he just wanted help and was confused.”

“So this man made those threats and then was let out five years later?” Jim couldn’t believe it.

“Yes. He also had to see the therapist twice a week for years. That was part of his parole. He seemed to be doing well. Every time we saw him he seemed in his right mind.” Regret and guilt resounded in Margaret’s tone and face.

“Do you happen to know if any of this was documented?”

“Well, it had to have been.” Mr. Turner looked over to his wife. “I’m sure it’s there somewhere. Remember that was a long time ago. Mrs. Turner left her husband and they never got back together. We’ve heard that he didn’t get close to his son until later in life.”

“So he wasn’t around his son while he was young?”

“No. They didn’t even meet until much later in life. We know young Mr. Turner,” Margaret explained.

“Did it ever occur to you to tell him what his father had said?”

“No, that wouldn’t be allowed. There was no proof. They never did find that family of his.”

“Well, that’s about enough for me. Thank you.” Jim stood up to shake hands with both of them.

“I hope this helps.” Margaret slung her purse over her shoulder. Her eyes were dark and sad. “It is such a terrible shame. Everything.”

Her husband wrapped his arm around her shoulders and nodded his head goodbye, gently guiding her to the door where Blair waited to escort them out.

When Blair returned Jim was glaring angrily out the window.

“Chief, call and cancel all of the other appointments. It will be much of the same thing.” Jim was angry and disbelieving. “These people all knew what he was suspected of having done, and what he threatened to do to his family. They let him go around his son and son’s family and never warned them. It’s on their heads, too.”

“Yeah. I don’t get that. This whole situation could have been prevented.” Blair shook his head. He was just as frustrated and angry as Jim. “I’ll call them right now. You want to call Simon and tell him about this visit? He might be able to get the records that way.”

“Yeah, I’ll call him right now.” Jim was already picking up the telephone. While he was waiting on hold, he looked out the window again seeing the sun shining, lighting up the trees and buildings, thinking that it would have been beautiful on another day. Today, it was ugly and tarnished. Jim found himself extremely angry with everyone who had to do with this case.

“Banks.”

“Simon, it’s Jim. I wanted to tell you about the visit we just had with the Haynes.” Jim went on to report the entire interview.

“Damn. I don’t believe this.” Simon was disgusted. “I’ll get a warrant and we’ll try to get this out in the open. This man should have never been allowed to be around those people. They didn’t even know. It’s a fucking shame. If I were the son, or one of the parents, I’d sue that facility and doctor.”

“I’m backing out now, Simon. I’ve gotten as close to this as I want to.”

“I understand, Jim. Will you have dinner with those families tonight?”

“Yeah, but I want to bring Blair with me. He’ll help me get through it.”

“Is there anything you want to tell me about Blair Sandburg?” Simon asked with a smile in his voice. Jim was too busy being angry to hear it.

“You have a problem with him, Simon? Because if you do, you don’t have to come around here anymore.”

“Jim, what in the hell’s wrong with you?” Simon bellowed, hurt. “I like the kid and I think he’s done wonders with you.”

For a moment there was silence on the phone. He would have thought Jim had hung up except for the sound of breathing on the other end.

“Sorry, Simon,” Jim whispered regretfully. He coughed, clearing his throat. “This has been the longest fucking day of my life. I just had a fight with my dad.”

“Uh, oh. That’s not good. I gather he didn’t take the news well? You know where I am if you need to talk to me, right?”

“Yeah, Simon, I do. You’re a very good friend.” Jim was feeling ashamed about the way he’d responded.

“Dinner’s at Angelo’s at 7:00. Is that all right with you?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. We’ll be there. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

“Jim, I cancelled all the other appointments.”

“Thanks Blair.” Jim walked into the outer office. “Blair, there’s a poker game scheduled this weekend with Simon and some of my other friends. I’d like you to be there to meet them. I’m inviting my brother to meet you also if you don’t mind.”

“Jim, that’s great. I’d love to meet everyone. I’d really like your dad to go with us tonight when you meet with Simon and the parents. Let me call and ask him if he’d like to meet us there. He should see what his son is being thanked for.”

“Chief, if you want to, go ahead. I don’t care one way or the other. I just know that I need you there.”

“There you go with that sweet talk again. I love when you do that. You’re quite the charmer, Jim Ellison. Why don’t we get out of here so we can go home, get ready for dinner and just lounge around awhile?”

“Sounds good to me, Blair.” Jim was dying for the chance to relax with Blair and just forget everything else. He wanted, needed to make love to Blair, to be deep inside his lover, to let him know how much he meant to Jim. He needed to let Blair know he wasn’t going anywhere. He was tired of the insecurity and doubt that he was seeing in Blair’s face. They quickly locked up the office and the ride home was quiet. Neither of them needed to say anything. They both knew what they desired.

When they got home that’s just what they did. Jim claimed Blair hard, long and well, trying to show him, with his touch and actions, how much he loved him; that he would always love him. Jim knew things would look better tomorrow, but right now in this world of loving Blair Sandburg, things were great. He loved this man so much. If Blair could only realize how much he meant to Jim.

When they were done making love Jim took a short nap. He felt like a small child these days; always exhausted. Blair kept telling him it was because of his senses being used too much and emotional stress. They’d have to take it easy from now on.

Blair left the sleeping Jim and called Ellison Enterprises, leaving a message with William Ellison’s secretary. He was too nervous to try talking to the man personally. From the way Jim’s dad had sounded, Blair was sure he would be there for the dinner at Angelo’s and to meet the parents.

Jim was still sound asleep upstairs when Blair had finished his shower and dressed. Blair loved looking at Jim while he was sleeping. This afternoon had been so special. Jim had been passionate and yet so careful and loving when he’d taken Blair. At the end, though he was exhausted and caught up in the desperation and fervor, Jim tried to physically meld himself into Blair, as if he just couldn’t get deep enough or close enough. There was an intensity to that lovemaking that had touched him deeply. For the first time he felt secure in Jim’s love for him. He went downstairs again to let Jim sleep just a little more. He knew that he’d have to wake him up soon to get ready for dinner, but Jim really looked like he needed the rest.

Blair was just about to go wake Jim when someone knocked on the door. Jim opened it to a nice looking older gentleman in a tailored suit. Blair suspected it was Jim’s dad. Sure enough, he introduced himself as William Ellison.

“So, you’re Blair Sandburg?”

“Yes, Sir.” Blair stood back to let Jim’s dad in. “Will you excuse me? I need to wake Jim up. He has to get ready for dinner.”

William reached out to touch his shoulder, stopping him.

“That’s all right. I’ll go up and get him out of bed.”

As Jim’s dad walked up the stairs, Blair was panicky. Jim was lying in bed naked. What if he stood up without thinking? There was no way William Ellison wouldn’t realize what they’d been doing earlier.

William stood at the head of Jim’s bed and looked down at his handsome son. Why would Jim think he needed to be with a man? This was insane. William would help him see the error of his ways.

“Jimmy, it’s time to get up,” William coaxed softly. “It’s dad. Time to get ready for dinner.”

“Dad? What are you doing up here? Where’s Blair?” Jim blinked sleepily, rubbing his eyes, confused.

William felt a catch in his throat, reminded of the little boy he’d raised. The boy he’d temporarily lost because of his pig-headed stubbornness. He’d never really listened to what his sons needed. Instead, he’d spent his time trying to give them what he thought they needed and alienated them in the process. Maybe it was time for him to do the listening.

“He’s fine, Jimmy. He’s downstairs. It’s time to get up, son.” William reached to turn down the covers on the bed. Jim’s hand stopped his. “Dad, I’ll be down in a minute. I don’t have clothes on right now.”

William’s face turned red and he walked quickly down the stairs. Jim got up and put his robe on, picked out his clothing for the evening and headed for the bathroom.

Detouring over to Blair on the way, he leaned down and kissed him full on the lips. Blair’s breath left his chest for a moment. Jim whispered, “It’s okay, Blair. I love you.” Blair was still staring at the bathroom door when the shower came on. He was too chicken for a moment to look at Ellison Sr.

William was pissed. Blair could read it in his body language. One nice thing about being an anthropologist was how you could size people up fairly well. William Ellison looked on the verge of knocking Blair’s head right off his shoulders.

William Ellison was enraged. This was the cause of his son’s aberrant behavior. Jim had shown no signs of this before. He wanted what was best for his son and this kind of relationship in Jim’s world would cause him nothing but pain. It was better that this ended before his son really got hurt. In his worry William completely forgot about listening to what Jim thought was best for himself.

“Mr. Sandburg, could I ask you what you plan on getting out of this? Jimmy won’t stay with you for long. He’s never lasted with anyone very long. Then he’ll dump you just like he has everyone else. He even left his wife and gave up all hopes of having a family.”

Jim stormed out of the bathroom, naked and wet. “Don’t you fucking bring Carolyn up in my home. Do you understand? She left me. I didn’t leave her. I was having problems and she wouldn’t stay to handle it. Not the other way around. As far as Blair goes, I don’t ever want him to leave. I know I won’t leave unless he makes me.”

William was calm. “Jimmy, you’re naked. Why not get dressed and we’ll have this conversation later?”

“See, that’s the difference between us, Dad. I’m not as bothered by the appearance of things. I wouldn’t have noticed or cared that I had no clothing on. I bet Blair didn’t even notice. He was probably too upset about me fighting with my dad. It was his idea to invite you tonight. If you don’t want to go with us, go home. I don’t care. If you decide to go with us, you also need to accept that Blair is a part of my life now and I don’t want you speaking like that to him again. You treat him with respect.” Jim was breathless with anger when he finished. Even Blair’s hand on his arm didn’t calm him down as he waited for his father to answer.

“Jimmy, I’ll try. I promise. Now go and get dressed or we’ll be late.” William backed down immediately. He wasn’t about to risk losing his son again.

Jim turned and walked into the bathroom slamming the door behind him. Blair paced nervously in front of the balcony.

“May I call you William, Mr. Ellison?”

“Yes, that would be fine.” William was trying to be polite and smile but didn’t quite pull it off. He could see that if he wanted to remain close to his son he was going to have to deal with the lover. The thought made him cringe inside.

“William, I really want Jim to be happy. I’d love his life to be without a lot of strife and stress. He has enough things going on right now. He doesn’t need that. I’d like to call a truce.”

“Fair enough, Mr. Sandburg.” This time the smile came easily.

“Please call me Blair. Everyone else does.”

Inside the bathroom Jim found himself smiling. Blair would probably win William Ellison over. Blair was like that. He could talk anyone into anything. He was wonderful. Ellison, you have it so bad.

When Jim came out of the bathroom dressed and ready to go Blair and William were talking, comfortably seated at each end of the sofa.

They agreed to take separate cars so they didn’t have to leave together. William had an early appointment at his office.

Once inside the truck, Jim reached out for Blair’s hand and squeezed it lovingly.

“Have I told you lately how much I love you?” Jim drove out onto the highway, taking the shortest route he knew to the restaurant.

“No, not in the last hour at least.” Blair grinned while reaching over with his freed hand to run a firm finger over Jim’s zipper. He was light headed with relief that things looked like they would work out with Jim’s dad.

“Chief, don’t do that. I’ll burst. I’m so horny right now and I don’t know why.” He almost swerved into another car.

“Okay, I don’t want you coming in your pants and have your dad ask why your pants are wet.” Blair was laughing heartily.

“Blair, please help me stay focused on this dinner. I really don’t want to be there and I have to tell you, I’m scared to death.”

Blair stopped laughing at that plea. His protectiveness took over at the look of panic he saw on his lover’s face. His hand squeezed Jim’s thigh comfortingly and let go.

“Things will be fine, Jim. You just wait and see. The night will fly by and, if you’re a good boy, I’ll fuck you so hard you won’t be able to sit for a week.”

“Jesus, Blair. Is this your idea of helping me not come in my pants? It’s not working. I’m hard as a rock and ready to blow.”

“It’s stress Jim. We can take care of that right now. I’d hate for you to be distracted and have to suffer through dinner.” Blair looked around for passers- by and other cars. The light was red and no one was looking. Blair bent over and carefully took Jim’s cock out of his slacks.

“Uh, Blair? What are you doing?” Jim looked around too, paranoid that someone would pull up beside them and notice.

“If you don’t know Jim, it’s definitely been too long since I’ve done this.”

Blair took him in and started sucking. Jim gave in, leaning far back to give easier access. His fingers tightened to the point of pain on the steering wheel. He was so close he knew it wouldn’t take long at all. “Chief, suck me hard. Make me come now.”

Blair obliged, taking as much of his lover in as he could and sucking hard. Jim moaned and came with a muffled shout. Blair swallowed everything and licked him clean.

“Thanks, Chief.” Jim blushed, panting. There was still no one around. He felt decadent. He’d never had anyone suck him off in the truck. “I needed that. God, you make me feel good.”

Blair tucked Jim back into his pants, his heart melting at the look on the big guy’s face.

“Anytime, hot shot, and I do mean hot shot.”

“You’re going to be the death of me, aren’t you?” Jim flushed again when the car behind him honked, telling him that the light had turned green. He quickly drove forward. He thought he saw his father’s car in the rear view mirror. Shit! It was his father’s car.

“But what a way to go, right, Jim?”

“Oh yeah.”

Even with the slight delay they arrived at the restaurant first and waited by the front door for Jim’s dad.

“My dad hung back while you were blowing me. I think he knew what we were doing. That’s why he’s not here yet. It probably took him a few minutes to recover.”

“Oh shit, Jim. Why didn’t you tell me?” Blair said, mortified about having Jim’s dad know he’d blown him in the truck.

“Besides the obvious reason that I was enjoying the hell out of it? I didn’t notice him. Do I look insane, chief?”

“Well, that’s a loaded question.”

William walked up to them and he stared hard at Jim. “Was that worth being caught, Jimmy?”

“Yeah, it was, Dad. It really was.” Jim stated flatly and walked into the restaurant. Blair started to follow him but William caught his arm, “Don’t ever do that again. He’ll embarrass his whole family. He might not care but his brother will.”

“I understand, Sir.”

Jim walked back outside with an angry glint in his eye. “Dad, he can blow me anytime I let him. Better yet, anytime he wants to, and I’ll be damned happy to let him do it. Now let’s get inside and get this over with.”

As they entered Jim pulled Blair aside for a second turning him around to face him. William hovered a few feet away, waiting.

“Blair, don’t you ever tell him you’ll change for him. Do you understand?” Jim was definitely angry. His fingers clenched Blair’s shoulders.

“Yeah, Jim. I got it now. I’m going to be the person bouncing back and forth between you two like a yo-yo. I’m not crazy about that idea at all.” Blair shrugged free and walked past William and over to where Simon was sitting.

“Dad, don’t ever do that again. This is my life. He’s my lover. Leave him alone.”

“Jimmy, what’s wrong with you? You don’t date guys. Now suddenly you’re not only dating one but he’s blowing you in the truck while you’re driving. This is not the Jim Ellison I raised.”

“I know…ain’t it cool?” Jim moved forward and sat next to Blair.

“Why are you quoting a line from a John Travolta movie? ”

“Because I can. I wanted to and I did.” He stood back up when his dad got to the table.

“Dad, Simon. You two have met before. Go ahead and have a seat dad.”

“I told the families to get here a little later, Jim. I thought you could use the extra time to relax,” Simon explained. “That’s why we’re the only ones here.”

Jim’s relieved thanks was heartfelt.

Once the families arrived, they were busy meeting everyone, talking to each family member and, finally, trying to eat. Even though Jim wasn’t a bit hungry, he tried to at least pick at his food. Blair kept giving meaningful stares at his plate but Jim just had no appetite. Meeting the people just made it too real. Then, as a surprise, they brought in the children to meet the man who saved their lives. Jim was totally freaking out. He kept backing away from the kids.

Blair excused them both for a moment and stepped aside with his lover. William came too, worried about his son.

“Jim, what’s wrong?” Blair couldn’t understand why Jim was so disturbed.

“Jimmy, stop acting like that. You need to make these children feel like they’re not dirty. They are going to think something is wrong with them. They don’t understand.”

Jim stared at his dad. “I’ll meet the kids in the banquet room by myself. I don’t want any adults other than Blair in there with me.”

Everyone left except Jim and Blair. The children all stood there looking at the floor. Jim finally said, “I know that this is scary. It is for me, too. I don’t know what to say or do. I hate that.”

One of the girls, Marnie, spoke. “Thank you, Mr. Ellison, for bringing us back home.” She started to cry and ran to hug him. That started a stampede as Jim was soon covered in crying kids all trying to thank him and hug him at the same time.

He opened his arms wide trying to hug them back, swallowing repeatedly as tears threatened to fall from his own eyes. He leaned down burying his face against the soft, innocent scented hair and bodies. He held on, speaking softly, trying to comfort and calm them.

“You’re very welcome but it was my job.”

Blair took in Jim’s overwhelmed expression as he looked desperately up at his guide for help. Blair responded by plucking each child away one by one. Soothing and shushing them, he coaxed them into a group again.

When Jim’s arms were relatively free of kids he stood, looking down soberly at them.

“I want you all to know that you can call me anytime you need any help.”

“Thanks. Thank you,” all of the children said at the same time.

“Let’s go back outside and have some dessert. I don’t know about you, but I hear they make great hot fudge sundae’s here.” The kids were enthusiastic about accepting Blair’s suggestion and with last fleeting hugs to Jim darted back through the door to their parents hollering about ice cream.

Simon took advantage of the attention Jim was getting from the parents to have a private talk with Jim’s new partner. “Blair, is something wrong with Jim?”

“His dad found out about us and he’s fighting Jim on it. Jim’s not taking it lying down. I’m right in the middle. He also feels guilty about the kids he didn’t save. That’s why he freaked out at first. It’s just a guess, though.”

“Well, just take care of him, Blair. I’m sure everything will work out.”

Sitting down, Jim took hold of Blair’s hand under the table and squeezed it hard. Blair could feel the tremor’s going through Jim’s body and knew the turmoil he was suffering.

To Jim’s relief they finally made it through dessert and were able to say goodbye to everyone. Jim was still hopeful when he came to say goodbye to his dad.

“Goodnight dad. We’ll see you next week for dinner if you still want to.”

“Okay, I’ll call you or Steven will.” William left. He walked to his car without speaking or saying goodbye to Blair. Blair was crushed but tried to stay upbeat.

When they got into the truck Jim apologized, “I’m sorry he’s such an ass. He could have at least said goodbye to you. If it helps, you kept me together all night long. I love you so much, Blair.”

“Thanks for understanding everything I feel, Jim. I was glad to help you get through that stuff. I’ll be around a long, long time.”

Jim leaned over and turned the radio on and there was a song playing that was somewhat sappy. Jim started singing along with it, to Blair. Blair almost laughed out loud except that it was the most romantic thing Jim had done for him.

“Jesus, you’re a romantic at heart, aren’t you?”

“Well, I try to be. I’m crazy about you, Blair.”

“Jim, I need to talk to you about a few things.”

“Okay, you’ve got my attention.” Jim turned scared eyes to Blair.

“Hey, hot shot, nothing’s wrong. Don’t panic unless I tell you to. I just wanted to tell you about my schedule next week at the university.”

“Christ, I’m so glad to hear that. I was worried there for a second.”

“Well, I have to teach from 8:00 till noon, Monday through Friday. So, I can’t be at the office then. I think we might need someone to work part time. What do you think of that idea?”

“Sure. Why don’t you set it up? You can be in charge of who it is.”

“Good because I sure as hell don’t want just anyone hanging out with you all week long.”

“Whatever you need to do, that’s fine. I’m easy.”

“Tell me about it.”

Jim smacked him on the shoulder as they both laughed.

When they got to the loft, there was a blinking light on the answering machine. Jim played it, hearing Carol’s voice. “Jim, just wanted you to know that I’ll be back tomorrow. My dad came back to Cascade with me. I won’t need all that time off after all. Talk to you tomorrow.”

Blair’s face fell when he heard the message. He walked through into the kitchen and got them both a beer. “Well, it’s good to know that you won’t have a stranger in the office after all.”

“Blair, I still want you to consider that partnership with me.” Jim took the offered beer and they both collapsed on the couch. “You can do both the university and my office. I guess it would be our office then. It helps me so much when you work with me.”

“Jim, I really think you should give that a little more thought. You need to think through this logically, not just emotionally.”

“Now is that your impression of Spock?”

“I want you to be sure Jim. I don’t want you regretting it later.”

“Blair, I’ll never regret anything with you. Please tell me that you’ll consider it. And don’t forget all of the perk’s that will come with the job.”

“Very funny. Yes, I’ll do it. But only as a part-time partner.”

“Great. You can work with me whenever you aren’t teaching or correcting papers. Do you have any that need to be done tonight?”

“As a matter of fact, I’m really behind. I was going to fuck you senseless, then stay up all night and grade these tests. ”

“Blair, I’ll help you do the test. How does that sound? Then you won’t have to stay up so late. We can just sleep. I’m tired, you’re tired, and we both need sleep. We can fuck anytime, right?”

“Well, that’s very easy for you to say, Mr. Ellison. You got taken care of in the truck earlier. I, on the other hand, didn’t. I’m hard as a rock just thinking about you.”

Jim got up, yanked Blair up and dragged him up the stairs. “I would love you to fuck me senseless.”

Jim stood at the foot of the bed and started taking his clothes off. Blair followed suit. Before long, the two men were in bed naked and happy just rubbing up against each other. For a change, Blair felt good about taking his time. He moved down Jim’s body slowly, licking and kissing every part that was in his line of fire. When he got to Jim’s gorgeous cock, he started licking it and teasing Jim.

“You have a beautiful cock, did you know that?”

“Blair, could you put yours up here for me? I want to lick at the same time.” Blair moved into the ’69’ position, loving the feel of Jim’s mouth on his cock at the same time he was putting his own on Jim’s.

Blair started sucking harder and harder until Jim lost all thought of what he was supposed to be doing instead and tried to scream out Blair’s name as he came. Blair gave him a few minutes and then started sucking on it again.

“Blair, I’m not superman.”

Blair moved over Jim so that his cock was hanging down over Jim’s face and mouth again. Jim couldn’t pass it up. He had to start licking that ass. God, I can’t believe I’m doing this. I would have never dreamed that this would be possible. He tastes and looks wonderful. Jim loosened his control over his senses, basking in the scent, taste and feel of his lover. He sucked at Blair’s entrance and licked, enjoying Blair’s squirming. He must be doing something right. When Jim slid his tongue inside Blair, the little squeal in response let him know it was perfect. He tried to probe deeper, thrusting in and out. Now he had to keep a tighter grip on the twisting body. He shivered himself as Blair’s constant moans while sucking reverberated against his cock.

Blair was delighted as Jim’s magnificent cock came back to life very quickly after he started licking Blair’s ass. The feel of Jim’s tongue on his anus was driving him crazy and he’d been afraid Jim might not like what he was doing. Blair never wanted him to stop. He’d never felt anything like that before. He continued sucking and savoring Jim while the other man kept licking and sucking on Blair’s anus, probing deeply with his tongue and making his lover crazy.

Blair panted and tried to pull himself away from his lover’s determined attentions. “Jim.” He twisted again trying to see the other man’s face. His lover was oblivious. “Shit. Jim!” Blair wrenched himself free with effort and turned around crawling up to lay beside him. He patted the dazed face, kissing him lightly until he got an instinctive response, letting Jim pull him closer for a moment and deepen the kiss.

When Blair started getting too close again he pulled away. “All right, buster, I get to fuck you. I meant it.”

“How do you want me?”

“Hands and knees,” Blair commanded.

That tone sent a thrill throughout Jim’s body. He quivered and hurried to do as he was told. As Jim got on his hand and knees, Blair started biting the big man’s magnificent ass, licking and nibbling at his anus. It had felt so good to him, he had to try it too. Jim was gasping in a way Blair had never heard before. He swore each time they made love Jim got more boisterous. It was like Jim was finally letting go. Blair reached over for the lube and condoms and got busy getting Jim prepared. Once Jim was loosened up Blair started sliding in Jim, little by little. Blair knew he had to go slow or he would hurt his lover. So, slow he did. His lover wasn’t exactly excited about that. He didn’t care. A begging Jim was quite a turn on.

Blair controlled every step of their lovemaking, only moving deeper or harder when he felt it was time. When he was finally to the point of pounding deeply, harshly, into Jim’s begging body he felt possessive and yet equally protective. He could tell Jim was on the verge of coming. Thrusting deeply, trying to hit the right spot, Blair demanded Jim tell him who he belonged to. Jim bucked up helplessly, arching back. He screamed as he came. “Only you, Blair. Only you. God.” Jim choked. “I love you!” He was still shuddering and coming.

Blair went crazy, fucking Jim harder than he ever thought he could. Finally, he came and collapsed, exhausted, on top of his lover. Both men took awhile to get themselves together. Once they could breathe normally again, Jim brought up the poker game. “Chief, do you want to have everyone over this weekend?”

“You really want me to meet everyone as your lover?”

“Oh yeah. I want them all to know how much I adore you. I can’t wait for them all to meet you.”

“And what about your dad, Jim?”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Don’t worry about it now.” Jim didn’t want him getting upset, not after what they had just experienced together.

“What about your brother?”

“He’ll be fine. He wants me to be happy. So does my dad. This just took him by surprise. They’ll both be fine. You have quite a way with people. I figure that if dad spends enough time with you he’ll be won over in no time.”

“So, you still want me to be your partner in all things?” Blair rested his chin on his favorite smooth, muscled chest and peered up at Jim. Jim kissed his forehead, nuzzling at his hair contentedly. Blair loved that he’d put that expression of contentment there.

“Yeah, you know I do.” Cuddling together, they both got comfortable.

Blair started falling asleep. Jim debated reminding him about the tests he needed to grade, then decided to just wake them early and together they would get everything done. He snuggled in closer instead. Grimacing, Jim moved far enough back to snag a tee shirt. He used it to clean them both off. Blair continued to sleep right through it.

Jim watched him sleep for a while and smiled as he thought about his new life. His new love. His new chance at love and life. Things really were going to be all right. Blair was right. Each day would have more love than today. With Blair in his life, how could it be wrong?

As he, too, drifted off to sleep, Jim knew that things would work out between them. The nicest thing was that the man he loved, loved him. He didn’t have to be the Lone Ranger any longer. He had Blair by his side. Life was good…but love was even better.

The End.

Author’s Acknowledgments: Thank you so much to Mary and Sue for the beta jobs. Any mistakes that are still here are ours. Corinne thank you so much for the cover for the story. It’s lovely as always. Many thanks to Elegy for all of her artwork. We both loved every single piece. Theban Band has allowed us to use a piece for the end of the story. Thank you so much Leny. And last, but not least, thank you Lisa for giving us this grand playground.

This is dedicated to Patt, of course, and all the people at MME who are always there and so supportive. CJ

This is dedicated to CJ for putting up with all of my whining and errors. [g] As always it was a total blast, sweetie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *