Family Life Parts 71-80

Family Life Part 71
Rumors
By Patt

Word Count: 2214

Summary: Jim overhears something that he shouldn’t have and gets very upset with Blair over it.

Notes: I can’t blame this on anyone but myself. I saw a picture of Cassie Welles and I went crazy. What could I do? I had to write a story about it.

Jim was heading to the break room for some much needed sludge when he heard two voices, he didn’t really know one of them and the other was Brown. He waited for them to stop talking before he walked in and interrupted them.

“You aren’t going to believe who I saw in Seattle this last weekend?” The first voice said.

Brown sounded uninterested as he said, “Do I care?”

“It was Cassie Welles. You know THE Cassie Welles? And she wasn’t alone, she had a child with her about four or five years old. Someone asked about the child and she said, ‘his father is an anthropologist in Washington, but it didn’t work out. So I moved here and settled in with Blair.’ Honest to God, that’s what she said.”

Jim dropped his coffee cup on the tile floor and it broke into a million pieces. The man stuck his head out the door and Jim recognized him as Brandon Dole from traffic. What was he doing up there?

“Hey Ellison, you okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost. You didn’t cut yourself when you broke that did you?” Brandon asked.

“I’m fine, I wasn’t watching what I was doing,” Jim replied as he went to get the broom and dust pan in the hallway closet.

Jim heard Dole say, “You don’t think he heard us talking do you?”

“No, he’s probably just having a bad day,” Brown answered.

“We better get out of here while the going’s good.” As Dole walked out the door, Jim said, “Dole, what are you doing in our break room?”

“I was up seeing my friend and getting a cup of coffee. Our machine just died downstairs, so I didn’t think anyone would mind,” Dole explained.

Jim frowned. “Well, we do mind. We pay for that coffee that you’re drinking, you don’t. So stay out of our break room from now on.” Jim continued to clean up the mess as Dole walked by.

“Sorry…” Dole said very sarcastically.

Brown walked out and said, “Jim, I have an extra cup in the cupboard if you need to borrow one.”

“No thanks, I’ll use a Styrofoam cup. Brown, we all pay for that coffee, why didn’t you say anything to him?”

“Geeze, Jim, I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. Sorry, it won’t happen again. He’s a good guy. Cut him some slack,” Brown said as he walked by.

“Fuck you and your friend,” Jim mumbled under his breath.

Brown walked back and said, “You got something to say to me, Ellison?”

“No, I was just yelling at myself for breaking this cup. Blair gave it to me for Christmas.” Jim didn’t want to let on that he had heard anything in the break room, so he needed to recover and fast.

“Good, while you’re yelling at yourself, remember to tell yourself to have a sense of humor too,” Brown teased.

“Sorry, Henri. I’m just in a mood today.”

“Be cool, dude,” Brown said as he walked away.

Jim didn’t feel cool as he threw all the glass in the trash. He made sure he got it all up and then went in to get a cup of coffee as planned. What the hell was this bullshit about? Blair and Cassie? No way. Jim couldn’t believe Blair had done anything with her. She drove him nuts. Okay, she drove Jim nuts, but he would have known if Blair had slept with her. And besides, Blair was always careful when he had sex, wasn’t he? What if there was a little Blair out there somewhere? Jim got his coffee and headed to his desk.

Blair frowned when he saw his partner. “Jim, do you know how bad those cups are for the environment? I can’t believe you’re using one of them.”

“Calm down Chief, I had to use it. I broke my cup in the hallway.”

“What do you mean you broke your cup? What happened?” Blair wanted to know.

“I was just clumsy. Now can I get back to what I was doing?” Jim asked.

Blair leaned in close and said, “Did you zone?”

“Fuck, I was clumsy and dropped my cup. Are you going to make a big fucking deal out of it?” Jim barked.

Everyone in the bullpen looked their way. Jim had the decency to blush. “Sorry, Chief. I’m in a bad mood.”

Brown walked by Blair and said, “He was in a bad mood after he broke that cup. He said it was because you had given it to him. I didn’t realize he was so sentimental about his coffee cup, did you?”

“No, Henri, I did not. I’ll have to remember that when I buy him the next one,” Blair answered.

Henri walked away and Blair said, “I’ll get you a new one you big fat liar.”

“What are you talking about?” Jim asked.

“The cup was one from your dad. He gave it to you in your stocking at his house last year for Christmas. So what’s going on?”

“What difference does it make? I was just embarrassed that I was fumbling my cup and dropped it. Can we drop this now?” Jim started typing before he waited for the answer.

“We’re not done with this yet, Jim. There is more to be explained.”

“Whatever,” Jim huffed and began to ignore Blair completely.

Blair knew he missed something, he just didn’t know what. Jim must have overheard something he shouldn’t have been listening to and now Blair was going to be the one to suffer for it. No, this conversation was far from over.

!!!!!!!!!!

While they were driving home, Blair said, “Do you want to explain to me what happened with the coffee cup?”

“Someone said something about us being gay and they weren’t happy about it. I just got pissed off and dropped my cup,” Jim explained.

“Who said this?”

“Some guy from Traffic and I was sure to tell him that we pay for the coffee and he had no right drinking it,” Jim added.

“You don’t seem that upset about him saying something about us. Are you sure that’s what happened?” Blair wondered.

“What are you calling me, a liar?”

“No man, I’m just confused. This entire conversation is confusing.” Blair sat back and tried to relax and found it impossible to do.

“Chief, do you ever think about people we used to work with?” Jim asked.

“I’m sure I do. Did you have someone in mind, or am I supposed to guess?” Blair asked.

Jim laughed, hoping that would calm Blair down. It seemed to do the trick. Blair smiled back at him.

“I was thinking about Cassie Welles this morning. I haven’t thought about her in years,” Jim said.

“Why would you be thinking about her at all?” Blair inquired honestly.

“Don’t you ever wonder what happened to her?”

“Jim, I know she lives in Seattle and works for the FBI. Rafe told me. So what is this about?”

“It’s nothing, I was just thinking about her and wondered if I was the only one that did. I didn’t realize that Rafe and Cassie were friendly,” Jim said.

“I don’t think they are friends. He saw her there about six months ago and told me what she had said. She asked about us. I forgot to tell you because honestly, she doesn’t really matter that much to me.”

“So you were never ever tempted to date her while she worked at the station?” Jim asked.

“Jim, did you drink something bad today? You’re being really weird. No, I never ever was tempted to date her.”

“You never thought about her sexually?” Jim asked.

“Well, maybe sexually. I didn’t want to date her though,” Blair said laughing. Then he noticed Jim wasn’t laughing.

“She had a major thing for you, when she worked here,” Jim pointed out.

“Jim, she just wanted to be one of the guys. And I think she had a major thing for you.”

“So are you going to sit there and tell me you never fucked her?” Jim asked heatedly.

Blair’s mouth just fell open and he said, “I can’t believe you just asked that. No, I never fucked her as you put it so nicely. We never slept together. You’ve succeeded in pissing me off though, was that the game plan, Jim?”

“Of course it wasn’t the game plan. But sometimes I get jealous. I would understand if you did sleep with her.”

“Jim, I didn’t sleep with her.”

“Blair, think back, are you absolutely sure?”

“All right, now I’m really pissed off. Don’t talk to me anymore. Fuck you, Ellison.”

Jim didn’t know what to think about all of this. Blair seemed honestly upset about Jim asking him and he seemed very honest when he answered. Maybe that stupid jerk got the story wrong or maybe there was no little Blair at all and it was all a rumor. But Jim did know one thing for sure and that was he was getting no sex for awhile. Blair was plenty pissed off.

Jim drove the rest of the way home in silence, because he didn’t know what to say.

!!!!!!!!!!

After Jim parked the SUV in the parking lot he turned to Blair and said, “I’m sorry, Chief.”

“Tell me, what exactly are you sorry about?”

“For bringing up Cassie Welles. She was always a thorn in our sides, and continues to be all the way from Seattle. Anyhow, I’m sorry.”

“Jim, there is something going on with you today. You have lied to me over and over again. Now I take it you heard a rumor that I slept with Cassie, am I right?”

“Sort of,” Jim answered.

“Do I have to get ugly and drag this out of you?”

“He said that Cassie lives in Seattle and had a child whose father was an Anthropologist in Washington. So I put two and two together and came up with that,” Jim explained.

“Okay, first of all, I never slept with her. I never wanted to and I’m shocked that you didn’t believe me the first time I told you. I don’t lie to you, Jim. I lie to other people about things but not to you. Especially if it was important. This was important to you, I guess.”

“There’s more.”

“What more could there be? Jim, I didn’t sleep with her. Now let’s drop it.”

“Okay,” Jim said still somewhat confused about everything.

“Wait a minute, what do you mean there’s more? What more could I have done besides sleep with her?” Blair shouted and hurt Jim’s ears.

“You don’t have to yell, Chief. We’re in the same vehicle.”

“Tell me what this moron said and let’s get it out of the way. Then, I want you to know that I’m really pissed off with you. In fact, I’m thinking of never sleeping with you again in my life.”

“Jesus, I was just asking questions. Blair, don’t be angry with me, please?”

“Just tell me what else was said. Did I father a child or something?” Blair asked laughing. Then he looked over and saw the look on Jim’s face and said, “You’re joking? Someone said that I fathered a child with her?”

“That’s what was said. Guess what the little boys name is?” Jim asked quietly.

“Oh fuck me. She named her kid Blair?”

“Yes, that’s his name. What was I to think? And I didn’t know how to tell you about it.”

“If you would have asked, I could have saved you all this worrying, Jim. She was married to an Anthropologist for three years and then they got a divorce. I didn’t know what the child’s name was, but knew that he had curly hair and was very cute. Rafe told me how cute he was. But he didn’t say a word about him being named Blair. Jim, I’m suddenly not so mad. If I would have heard this about you and the child’s name was Jim, I would have freaked out too. I wish you would have just told me the truth. I hate rumors. They suck.”

“I hate rumors too, Chief. Now are you still mad enough at me where you’re never going to sleep with me again?”

“Hell, I’m going to fuck your brains out tonight, because it won’t take long,” Blair teased.

“Not nice to tease the Sentinel.”

“Next time, talk to me about it. Understood?”

“Understood. Thank you for letting me back in bed again.”

“You honestly thought I was going to give up sex with you? You’re a bigger idiot then I thought,” Blair said as he got out of the SUV and started running for the front door.

Jim smiled and let Blair get a head start, then he rushed into the building after him whispering to himself, “You’ve gotta love this man.”

And he did.

The end

Family Life Part 72
Making Up
By Patt Darrow

Word Count: 3296

Summary: Quarrelling isn’t so bad because of the making up. Nothing beats Jim kissing ass. 

Notes: Again, no one to blame for this but me. LOL I had to throw some other things into this story, because they called out to me. I’ve always thought that Blair would like to go on one more dig. Maybe I’m right.

Jim woke up sore as hell, but happy too. God, he loved when Blair went ‘primal’ with him. Jim had no say in anything the night before, it was all Blair’s doing and he did it quite well. Jim was going to be feeling this for days.

He rolled over and kissed the back of Blair’s neck and Blair said, “Did I say you could do that, Mr. Ellison?”

“No sir, Mr. Sandburg, you didn’t.”

“Now lie back like a good boy and let me do the driving,” Blair said as he shoved Jim onto his back. Blair saw the pained look on Jim’s face and stopped fooling around. “Jim, did I hurt you last night?”

“I’m just a little sore, babe but it’s nothing to worry about. I like when you go all primal on me. It shows me how much you love me and want me.”

Blair curled into Jim’s body and petted his chest. “I’m sorry, man. I didn’t mean to get so ‘primal’ last night. I just couldn’t believe that you believed a wild story like that without asking me first. I was angry but I shouldn’t have taken it out on your ass.”

Jim pulled Blair’s face up to his and said, “I love you more then anything in the world. I would do anything for you. That includes having a sore ass now and then. I don’t mind. Stop worrying so much. Understood?”

“God, I love you, Jim. You kiss ass better then anyone I know.”

“Thank you, I think,” Jim replied.

“I just want you to know that you’re going to have to continue kissing ass all week long. You are grounded Mr. Ellison.”

“I love when you call me Mr. Ellison.”

“Mr. Ellison, how would you like to make love to me this morning before everyone gets up in the house?”

“Why Mr. Sandburg, I can’t believe you’re giving me a chance to do something I’ve wanted to do all morning long.” Jim started kissing Blair’s body. As he moved down he heard Blair’s heart start to race a little and his dick was lengthening very quickly. Jim loved when he had this effect on Blair. He started to suck on Blair’s cock and Blair was really getting into it when they heard noise from downstairs. Jim pulled away from Blair’s cock and said, “Mr. Sandburg, it’s your call? Do you want to go down and make breakfast for the little people or do you want me to blow you?”

“You owe me big time, man. God, I hate when you’re logical. Give me a few minutes to calm down and I’ll be down. Little people, I liked that.”

Jim got out of bed with his cock standing proudly away from his body and Blair burst out laughing.

“Way to make a guy feel really good about his equipment,” Jim kidded.

“I just realized neither of us is ready to go downstairs just yet. And I love your equipment, so never worry about that. What do you suggest?” Blair asked.

“These are the times I wish we had a shower up here. That would be so nice. I could take a cold shower and calm down. Right now my motor is still running because I’m looking at you,” Jim confessed.

Blair smiled evilly. “Come here, big boy.”

“Oh no you don’t. I’ll never calm down if I come down there.”

“Jim, we’ll be really quiet. I want you to fuck me and fuck me fast,” Blair pleaded.

Jim tore off his boxer briefs and jumped back in the bed and began to kiss Blair. As soon as they were both into it, the phone rang.

“Fuck,” Jim said as he rolled off of Blair.

“Pop, are you up? It’s your mom,” Max called up the stairs.

“I’ll get it up here, Max. Thank you,” Blair grabbed the phone and growled at it. This made Jim smile and be somewhat less frustrated.

Blair said, “Hi mom.”

He started talking to her and Jim saw him losing his hard on, so he took Blair’s cock into his mouth and started to suck like crazy. Blair got hard instantly and he was swatting Jim away from him, but it wasn’t working. Blair was having a hard time concentrating on what his mom was saying. Finally he said, “Mom, call me in an hour.”

“Did I interrupt something, sweetie?” Naomi teased.

“You could say that, Naomi.”

“Why aren’t you taking care of your children? Why are you still in bed?”

“Mom, call me back in an hour,” Blair ordered.

“Honey, I’m in the building now. You and Jim had better get dressed.” She closed her cell and Blair started cussing.

“Goddamn it, my mother is in the building.”

Jim stopped what he was doing and said, “Let me finish you off really quick,” Jim suggested.

“What are you nuts? My mother is here. I don’t want to fuck,” Blair pulled away from Jim and got out of bed. “By the way, you’re still grounded.”

Jim smiled and realized Blair wasn’t upset with him, he just didn’t know why Naomi would be there and it bugged him. Blair didn’t like surprises. Nope, he didn’t like them one little bit.

Both men came down the stairs with robes on and no sign of hard-on’s to be seen by anyone.

“Your grandmother is here. She’ll be at the door in a moment,” Blair told Max and Drew.

“So much for your quiet time, huh, dad?” Max teased.

Jim blushed and said, “Okay, we are putting walls on our bedroom just like your room. I don’t want it open anymore. We have no privacy.” Jim stormed into the bathroom and slammed the door.

“Geeze, I didn’t mean to piss him off. Oops, I mean, I didn’t mean to make him mad,” Max said.

“He’s embarrassed, Max, he’ll get over it. Now we just need to figure out what your gramma is doing in town,” Blair said.

There was a knock on the door and Blair opened it to Naomi and a man. “Hi honey, we’re going to be in town for two days and wondered if we could take you all out for dinner tonight.”

“Who is this, Mom?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, honey. I keep forgetting that you haven’t met Bob. He’s from one of my latest trips and he’s so nice, I wanted you to meet him. Bob this is my son Blair.”

Blair shook hands with the man and realized he was still in his robe. “Mom, did you ever think about telling me someone was coming with you? We’re not even dressed yet. We’re all running around in robes.”

“Oh Bob doesn’t care. The last place we spent two weeks in was a nudist colony. Very nice place by the way and we had a blast didn’t we Bob?”

“Come in both of you. I’m sorry, I’m a little off my game today.” Blair stood back as they both entered the loft. Bob looked around and whistled. “Naomi, you were right, this place is gorgeous. Very, very nice.”

“I told you that my son had great taste. Bob is thinking about getting a place in town to be closer to some of his family and I told him that you would help him decorate,” Naomi said.

“Mom, I teach and work all day. I don’t have time to decorate someone’s home. You should have asked first before you volunteered me. I don’t have time to do this.”

“Oh Blair honey, give up those classes. They’re not meaningful anyhow. There are a million things you could be doing.”

“Mom, mind your own fucking business,” Blair blurted out before he even knew what happened.

“Did you hear how he talked in front of his kids?” Bob asked.

“He doesn’t usually. Usually he’s perfect in every way. It’s Jim that makes the mistakes. Not Blair. Blair is perfect,” Naomi assured Bob.

Max and Drew disappeared into the kitchen and were hiding so they didn’t get called in on this. They didn’t want any part of it. Their gramma was nuts. “What did she mean, he’s perfect?” Drew whispered.

Jim came walking out the door and said, “Naomi, I would appreciate if you took Bob and went somewhere for breakfast and we could meet somewhere tonight. You’re irritating Blair. Now leave.”

“So this is the bossy one he lives with, I take it?” Bob asked.

“I’ll show you fucking bossy,” Jim walked over to the front door and said, “Out.”

Naomi said, “I’ll call you later, dear.”

“Whatever, mom. Just go away right now,” Blair said.

Bob and Naomi walked out the door and Naomi slammed it shut behind her just to irritate Jim. She knew that Jim didn’t like slamming of anything. Unless he was doing the slamming.

“Okay, what’s going on with her?” Jim asked.

“Who knows? They met at a nudist colony and they want to take us all out to eat tonight. As long as she doesn’t say I’m fucking perfect again, I guess it would be all right.”

“Well, parents like to believe that their children are perfect. Look at us. We think our kids are,” Jim said.

“That’s true. Okay, I’ll try and not be so short tempered with her tonight. Bob looks weird, did he look weird to you?”

“If you must know, he was checking you and me out. The man was setting off my gaydar. I wonder if your mother knows?”

“I wonder if she knows how old he is. He looks to be in his 30s doesn’t he?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, he looks younger then me, that’s for sure,” Jim admitted.

“What is he doing with my mom?” Blair asked.

“You have to ask her that. Max and Drew, you can come out of the kitchen now.
They’re gone,” Jim called out.

“Jim, before I forget, you’re still grounded.”

Jim smiled and walked into the kitchen to start breakfast. Samantha walked out of her room and said, “What is all of this noise?”

“Your gramma was here. You’ll see her tonight at dinner,” Blair informed her.

“Oh yay, I love gramma.”

“Good, I’m glad you do, Sam. Now let’s get ready for school. Daddy is making breakfast,” Blair said.

Blair got Sam ready, Jim made breakfast and everyone ate and got ready to go. Jim jumped in the shower and got ready for work first, followed by Blair. When they were all done, the kids left together and Jim and Blair left together.

They got down to the parking lot and Naomi was there waiting. “We’d like to take you all out for dinner tonight. Blair did I tell you what Bob does for a living?”

Blair thought to himself, here it comes.

“No, you didn’t tell us anything about him other then he belongs to a nudist colony,” Blair answered.

“He’s an Anthropologist. Do you believe it and he’s getting ready to go on a dig and he wanted to know if you were interested in going along,” Naomi said.

Blair just stood there in shock. “Naomi, I’m a cop. I’m not going on a dig, I have a family. What were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that it was time that Jim takes care of things for a while so you could do something you love. He’s doing things he loves every day, but not you. It’s your turn, sweetheart.”

Bob stood by Naomi and said, “Blair, it’s a fantastic dig in Peru. The jungles are gorgeous if you’ve never seen them. You would love it. It would only be for about three weeks. What do you think?”

“I think you’re all insane. I have a family. I can’t just leave them. Jim wouldn’t do that to us, and I sure as hell wouldn’t do it to him. No thank you, Bob. I would like to have dinner with you tonight so I could hear about the dig, but I’m not interested in going on the dig itself,” Blair explained.

“Okay, I know when to take no for an answer. I’ll talk to your mother about it today while you’re at work. Is dinner at 7:00 all right with all of you?” Bob asked.

“No, we need it earlier because of the kids. Could we make it at 6:00?” Jim asked.

“Sure, we’ll change the plans and the reservations for 6:00. We’ll see you at Claim Jumper at 6:00 tonight. It was very nice meeting both of you,” Bob said as he got into the car.

Naomi just stared at Blair and said, “I can’t believe this? I found someone funding his own dig, that offered to take you with him and you’re turning him down?”

“Yes, Mom, I’m turning him down. I love my life. I love Jim. I love my family and I don’t want to leave for anything. Now we’ll see you tonight. We have to get to work,” Blair said as he kissed his mom’s cheek and got into the SUV to ride to work.

Naomi got into the car with Bob and they drove off. Jim got into the SUV and started it and said, “I think you should think about it today.”

“What’s there to think about, Jim? I’m not leaving you guys for anything.”

“You wouldn’t be leaving us, you would just be taking a quick break. If Simon asked you to go to a Police convention in Seattle, you know you would go.”

“Because I’m interested in that. I don’t want to go on a dig. Jim, this is my life. I like my life.”

“Just think on it, Blair. I could handle the caseload at work. I could handle the kids. Everything would still be here when you got back and you could have been on a dig of a lifetime. Promise you’ll think about it.”

“All right, I’ll think about it. And before I forget, you’re still grounded. I want to have lunch at the house today so we can take care of some business,” Blair said wiggling his eyebrows.

Jim drove and smiled at his lover. “You’re never going to let me forget about this Cassie thing are you?”

“Nope. I’m going to milk it for all it’s worth. And that’s going to be a lot of sex in the next week or two.”

They talked about cases at work and before they knew it there were there.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim stopped typing for a moment and looked at Blair. He was off in dreamland and Jim was certain that he knew what he was dreaming about. Jim got up and walked over to Simon’s office and knocked on the door.

“Come on in, Jim.”

“Hey Simon, what would Blair have to do to take a three week leave of absence?”

“Sandburg is going somewhere for three weeks?” Simon asked.

“He’s been offered a chance to go on a dig and he’s considering it. It’s a once in a life time offer. He’d never get the chance again.”

“It wouldn’t be a problem. I would team you with Joel for three weeks and that would be that. He’s got time coming, he could do it. Mind you, he won’t be paid for it unless he takes it as his vacation. And you could teach his classes at the academy and come in a little late three times a week.”

“No, we would want to take it as a leave of absence. He says he doesn’t want to leave us, but I want him to go. I really do and I’m even willing to teach his classes for three weeks.”

“Send him in and I’ll talk to him,” Simon ordered.

“Thanks, Simon.” Jim walked out and told Blair Simon wanted to see him.

Jim watched Blair try to argue with Simon and then finally he sat down and Jim knew that Blair realized he really did want to go on this dig. Jim was thrilled that he was going to go along with it. Well, he didn’t know that for sure yet, because he wasn’t listening, even though he had wanted to. He was being a good boy. Boys that are grounded have to be good boys. Jim smiled and sat back waiting for Blair to come out.

Jim was somewhat confused when he saw Blair’s face. He looked sad. Jim didn’t want Blair to be sad. What in the hell was going on?

Blair said, “Simon said we can take lunch now. I told him we needed a couple of hours.”

Jim got up and followed Blair to the elevator. Once they were downstairs and in the SUV, Blair finally said, “You win. I’m going to go on this dig. Even though I think it’s irresponsible on my part as a father to leave you with the kids and the house. I just think I’m doing this for a selfish reason.”

“What selfish reason is that, Blair?”

“Because I want to.”

“I knew it. I could tell by your body language this morning that it sounded good to you. I’m glad. This is going to be great. I love you so much and I’m willing to take care of things for three weeks while you’re gone, I’m even going to teach your classes.”

Blair smiled at him and said, “Thank you, Jim for thinking of me. This makes us even on the Cassie thing. I should have talked to you about it instead of keeping it inside. I’m glad you can read my mind.”

“I wish I could read your mind. I’d like to know what you plan on doing to me for two hours at the house.”

“We’re going to be having make-up sex, that’s what we’re going to be doing. We need to have a lot of make-up sex before I leave. We’re making up for everything we’ve ever done to each other in our marriage. So are you up for it?” Blair asked.

“I’m up for it, Blair. Everything is going to be fine. The kids will be fine and they’ll take it well once I explain how much it means to you. They’ll understand and the three weeks will fly by. I promise.”

Blair looked at his lover with such love in his eyes that Jim’s eyes had tears in them. Blair said, “Are you all right?”

“I just realized how much I’m going to miss you. But I love you so much and I want this for both of us. It’s going to be great, Blair.”

Blair said, “I’m counting on you to keep everything the way it is now. I don’t want my family changing in any way, shape or form.”

“No one is going to change. Stop worrying. Start thinking about what you’d like to do to me when we get home,” Jim advised.

“I want you to do me. That’s what I’m dying for right now.”

“I could do that, Blair.”

And Jim did just that.

They both knew that the kids wouldn’t take the separation well, but they would once they understood how much it meant to their pop. And maybe, just maybe Naomi would learn something from this. Jim was a good man, a kind man, a gentle man and one that only wanted to make Blair happy. Maybe she would cut him some slack. Then again, we’re talking about Naomi.

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 73
Coming Home
By Patt

Word Count: 2877

Summary: Blair has been gone for three long weeks. Did he have a good time? What do you think?

Notes: This will be the last Family Life story for 16 days. I’m going to see my parents and I won’t be back until the 18th. So I just wanted to let you know that I’ve not deserted you, I’m just seeing my folks.

Jim made sure that the house was spotless. The kids had helped him clean before Blair got home from the dig. Then he looked the kids over to be sure they looked well taken care of and they did. Jim found himself very nervous about picking Blair up. He had been worried all day long about Blair having too much fun on this dig and not wanting to come home again.

Then there was also the thought of Blair being away from him for three weeks with another man that was positively gay. Bob Daniels set Jim’s gaydar off big time and Jim didn’t know what to do with that. He trusted Blair on one hand and worried on the other. Jim was a mess.

“Daddy, when are we picking poppy up from the airport?” Samantha asked sweetly.

“In about two hours. So we have to get all of your home work done before we leave. Okay?” Jim asked.

“I already finished it with Drew. I went to his room and he helped me while you were shining all of the stuff in the kitchen. You were really busy. Max told me to ask Drew to help me, so I did.”

“Thank you, Drew. And I’m sorry, Sam, I didn’t mean to ignore you. I’m just a little nervous about your poppy coming home. It’s been a long three weeks.”

Max smiled. “Don’t be nervous, dad. He’s still pop to us.”

Jim thought, ‘I sure hope so.’

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim, Drew, Max and Sam all waited downstairs by the carrousel for baggage pickup. Blair’s plane had been on time, so Jim didn’t know what was taking him so long. Jim was sitting on the sofa waiting, in the waiting room while the kids were just pacing away. Jim looked up at the monitor and saw Blair. He smiled instantly and then he saw Bob kiss Blair goodbye. Blair didn’t seem too upset about it either. ‘Oh shit’.

Blair came down the escalator and Blair saw the kids first. He hugged each of them like he hadn’t seen them in a year instead of three weeks. Then he saw Jim and Jim didn’t look happy. Blair glanced up and saw the monitor and knew that Jim had seen the kiss. ‘Oh shit’.

Blair went over and hugged Jim and said, “It wasn’t what it looked like, so get over it and fast.”

Jim finally hugged Blair back and let him know how much he had missed him with that hug. “Come on, let’s get your luggage.”

They walked over to the carrousel and waited as the cases came by one at a time. Blair was talking non-stop to Max, Drew and Sam. He was so happy to see them. He knew that Jim was pissed; no he knew that Jim was upset, but he would explain it later.

Jim pulled Blair’s two bags off the belt and said, “Is there any more?”

“Yeah, this one is filled with presents for all of you,” Blair said as he pulled a good sized bag off of the belt.

They all began their walk to the SUV and Blair said, “So how did things go.”

Jim said, “Fine. The kids were great, the house is still standing and everything went smoothly.”

“You should have seen dad cleaning before we came. He acted like you were going to care about that,” Max teased.

Jim smiled at Max, but ignored Blair.

Blair sighed and said, “Do I get to tell you about Peru now?”

Samantha said, “Yes, poppy, we can’t wait to hear about it.”

Blair began telling them all about the dig, the finds and the wonderful relationship he formed with all of the other anthropologists. He told them in great detail about each and every thing they had found and what they were going to do with them.

“They’re going to have them on display in Cascade in about a week. It’s going to take that long to get everything cleaned up and ready for the show. Wait until you see these pieces we found,” Blair said happily.

By the time they drove home, it was already bedtime for the kids. Max said, “Dad already gave Sam her bath, so she just needs to get her pj’s on and go to bed. I’ll help her get ready.”

“Thank you, Max. That’s really sweet of you. I did want to talk to your dad alone, so this works out well. Drew, why don’t you start getting ready for bed too? It’s almost ten o’clock.”

Within 20 minutes, the loft was all quiet and empty. The kids were all in bed and Jim could hear that they were fast asleep.

“Jim, let me explain about the kiss.”

“What’s there to explain?”

“Everyone kissed everyone on this dig. I’m not kidding. If we got excited about another find, we all kissed each other. If we figured out what we found, we kissed each other. It was just a really friendly dig. It meant nothing. It was between friends. Bob Daniels became a good friend and I hope you’ll allow me to see him from time to time so that we can discuss Anthropology issues. He’s a very interesting man.”

“Blair, do you think it makes me feel better to know that you kissed everyone on the dig? Do you think that it makes me feel less insecure then I do right now?”

“Okay, maybe they were a little too close for my taste. I got a little tired of the kissing all the time, let me tell you. And besides I was too busy missing you and the kids to notice the kisses.”

“I’m going to get ready for bed,” Jim said as he walked to the bathroom door. Blair followed him in and shut the door.

“Jim, kiss me like you mean it. The kiss I got at the airport was like the ones I’ve been getting this entire time. Kiss me and show me you still love me.”

Jim pulled Blair into his arms and kissed him with as much passion as he could muster up. When he finished the kiss, he pushed Blair away and said, “Meet me upstairs.”

“You got it big guy,” Blair said smiling like crazy.

Jim seemed to have gotten over everything, or so it seemed to Blair.

When Jim came up he took his robe off and said, “I’m going to fuck you raw.”

“Oh goody.”

Jim made love to Blair like he had never done before. He was more attentive, more frantic and more dangerous. Blair loved it, which made Jim fuck him all the harder. Blair knew that Jim needed this to feel like he marked his territory. Blair didn’t need anything marked. Jim was his life, but he knew that Jim wouldn’t be happy until he showed Blair who was the boss.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim woke up at 3:00 in the morning and rolled over into Blair’s back and Blair started to wake up instantly when he felt the hard member pressing into his butt cheeks.

“Aren’t you tired?” Blair asked.

“I need you again,” Jim answered and began to make slow, passionate love to Blair this time. He wasn’t as aggressive, so it wasn’t hurting Blair at all. If he would have fucked him hard again, Blair wouldn’t have been able to sit for a week.

Blair curled into Jim’s arms afterwards and said, “I take it you missed me. I missed you too, Jim.”

“I don’t like Bob.”

“I know and I won’t ask you to,” Blair replied.

“Thank you for understanding.”

“Of course I understand. If you had been kissing some woman, I would have flipped out. Or another man for all that matters,” Blair said smiling.

“Blair, don’t you find it odd that they did that? You’ve been on digs before and did they kiss each other every time you found something?” Jim asked.

“No, this is the first one that was like that. Actually I found it really odd and uncomfortable. I don’t like kissing people I’m not in love with.”

Jim kissed Blair in the temple and said, “So are you glad to be home.”

“For the last week, all I could think of was coming home. Then today, all I could think of was you fucking me and us lying in bed together at last. Those three weeks felt like six months during most of the nights. Sometimes I was too tired to think about us, but the other nights, I was lonely and horny.”

“So no one came on to you?” Jim asked.

“Yeah, I had people ask me to sleep with them, but I told them I was saving myself for you.”

“More then one person asked you this?” Jim found this most odd.

“Actually they all asked me to their tents over the three weeks. I’m telling ya, they were weird. But it was a great dig. I’m so glad I went. But you’re right; it was odd for all of the kissing to be taking place.” Blair yawned as he finished the statement.

“Let’s get some sleep before we have to get up with the little people,” Jim said.

“What’s up with you calling them the little people?” Blair said snickering.

“We’ll their littler then us. Hence the little people.”

They both snuggled in for the rest of the morning and were sound to sleep within moments.

!!!!!!!!!!

When Blair got up, he let Jim sleep and went downstairs to make a nice big breakfast. He and Jim were both off for the day, so he figured a big breakfast would be nice. He made pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and fruit salad to top it all off. By the time he was done doing everything the kids were all up and Jim was in the shower.

Before Jim came out the phone rang and Blair answered, “Sandburg.”

“Wow, it only took you one night to get back to being like you used to be, eh?” Bob asked.

“What do you need Bob, I’m making breakfast for the family.”

“I wanted to know if you wanted to come over and clean and polish the pieces with me for the next week. We could do it after you got off work at night,” Bob suggested.

“Bob, Jim saw you kiss me and he’s not happy. I’m not either, so let’s just forget about being friends.”

“Blair, you did all the work on these pieces, you mean to tell me that you’re just going to let them go?”

“That’s what I’m telling you. No matter how important it felt to me, I don’t want to upset Jim. He’s more important to me than anyone or anything,” Blair said firmly.

“I guess I’ll talk to you some year then,” Bob said sadly.

“It was a nice dig, Bob. Thank you for letting me go.”

Blair hung up the phone and started to set the table for everyone when Jim walked in. “Bob, huh?”

“Yeah, he’s a little slow on the uptake.”

“Blair, I know what I said last night, but I want you to work on the pieces this week. It’s important. But I want you to tell him that if he goes near those lips again, I’m going to punch him out.”

“You mean it? You wouldn’t mind?” Blair asked excitedly.

“I wouldn’t mind. It’s only one more week. The kids and I can do this, babe.”

“Speaking of kids, will you tell everyone to come in for breakfast? Blair asked.

So during breakfast Jim told them all that they would be minus Blair for one more week. Sam was the first one to whine.

“But poppy, you just got home.”

“I know that, Sam and I’m sorry. But it’s important that we catalog each item and get them cleaned and ready for the show. Wait until you see everything. It’s going to be worth it. I swear,” Blair said.

“We can make it another week, pop.” Max liked to think he was all grown up. But he wasn’t really happy about it at all. They had all missed this man and it was the pits that he wouldn’t be here for another week.

Drew said, “Well, I may not like it, but I understand it. So have fun.”

“Thank you, kids. This means the world to me.”

!!!!!!!!!!

The week flew by. Blair had told Jim that he told Bob first off that he had better stay clear of him, or his husband was going to beat him up. Jim liked that Blair was calling him his husband. He didn’t say it often and it made Jim feel like a million bucks.

On the night of the opening they all got dressed up to go to the show. Jim was so proud of Blair, it wasn’t even funny. The kids were too. Everyone from Major Crimes was there to show their support and friendship. Blair felt like he was walking on air.

!!!!!!!!!!

In the back of the display room, Blair was getting the rest of the pieces ready to go out and Bob walked up and put his arms around Blair from the back and kissed his neck.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” Blair asked.

“I was trying to thank you.”

“Then next time, say thank you and stop touching me. I want you to know that Jim will pound the shit out of you if I tell him.”

“Then don’t tell him,” Bob said evilly.

Blair stormed out of the room and into the viewing area. He found Jim with the kids and all of Major Crimes. He pulled Jim aside and said, “I need you to do me a favor.”

“What?”

“Go pound the shit out of Bob. He just touched me and kissed the back of my neck. I’m grossed out and I was handling it well but he doesn’t take me seriously. So it’s your turn.”

Jim stalked off quickly and Simon asked, “What’s going on?”

“The guy I did the dig with won’t keep his hands off me, so Jim went to straighten him out.”

“Oh my God, Sandy, he might kill him.” Connor felt like someone should go stop him.

“He’s not going to kill anyone, Connor. He’s just going to put the fear of God into him.”

Blair went on to show them all of the pieces that he had found and everyone was very impressed.

Jim came back out and was smiling. “I don’t think he’ll bother you anymore.”

“You didn’t actually hit him did you?” Blair asked and everyone else waited to hear the answer.

“Nope, didn’t need to. I scared him when I told him I would pound the snot of him if he went near you again. I shoved him a few times and I think he got the picture. He called me a caveman. Can you imagine?” Jim kidded.

“He’s probably calling my mom at this very moment whining,” Blair joked back.

“I don’t even want to go there with your mom. I won’t be able to hold my tongue at all.”

“Hey everyone, would you like to go have pie and coffee at IHOP? Our treat,” Blair invited.

“That sounds nice,” Mason said, “thank you.”

They all left the building and didn’t look back. Blair was never so happy to get away from anywhere.

The kids enjoyed the pie and hot chocolate. William and Sarah had brought the kids, so the kids were all sitting at one table and being very well behaved.

“So you ready to come back to work tomorrow, Sandburg?” Simon asked.

“You know it. I missed all of you. I’ll bring your prezzies when I come in the morning.”

“Oh goody, we get prezzies,” Rafe said happily and they all knew he actually meant it.

Everyone visited for the next hour and then they all took their leave. The kids had to get home to bed and it was a nice evening, but it was getting late.

When they got home, Jim dressed Sam for bed and read to her. Blair took a shower so Jim wouldn’t be able to smell Bob on him anywhere. Max and Drew got themselves in bed and when Blair walked up the stairs he had a lovely sight in front of him. Jim was lying naked on the bed sound asleep.

Blair pulled the covers up and got into bed beside him and decided not to wake him up.

“Come here,” Jim whispered sleepily.

Blair backed into his arms and Jim held tight. “Goodnight, Chief.”

“Goodnight, Jim.”

And that’s what it actually was. A good night. Things were back to normal, Jim had his comfy heating blanket again and the kids were happy to have Blair in their lives again.

Life was good.

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 74
Relatives
By Patt

Word Count: 2535

Summary: Rucker and Andrea Ellison come for a visit. What will they think of Jim and Blair being together?

Notes: Thank you to Bee for the idea about Rucker.  It was time for opinions about how the family feels about Jim and Blair, I think. Tomorrow’s story will have more about the cousins meeting the cousins.

“You’ll never guess who is coming for a visit?” Jim asked Blair as he read the letter in his hands.

Blair was starting dinner and really didn’t want to have to guess at all. He sighed and said, “Naomi?”

“No, Rucker and Andrea,” Jim answered.

“Rucker Ellison? We haven’t seen him in years, what brings him to Cascade now?”

“Of course Rucker Ellison, who else do we know named Rucker?” Jim snapped.

“Hey, don’t use that attitude with me, buster. If you don’t like the idea of him coming, then call and tell him that he isn’t welcome. What is your fucking problem, anyhow?” Blair asked. He knew the kids were upstairs playing Guitar Hero with Sam, so they wouldn’t be around to listen to his nasty language.

Jim looked around and made sure none of the kids were in sight and then listened to be sure. “They just found out about us and Rucker says he’s coming to see what I think I’m doing.”

“They just found out about us? You mean in all the times you’ve written to him, you didn’t mention anything about us?” Blair couldn’t believe it.

“Why would I bring it up for no reason? I told him we had kids, so I figured that he knew it was us together. I didn’t do it alone for crying out loud.”

“Jim, are you ashamed of us?” Blair almost shouted.

“No, I’m not ashamed, but Rucker’s not the type to like a gay lifestyle.”

“So you are ashamed, you idiot. I can’t believe you didn’t tell him about us. He was probably shocked to his core. You could have told him easier in a letter explaining everything about us. Instead you tell him we adopted kids, but aren’t a couple?” Blair walked back into the kitchen and stirred dinner. Jim knew that he was in big time trouble already.

“We’re never met Andrea. What do you think she’s like?” Jim asked, hoping to change the subject.

“Who cares? I’m still in shock that you never mentioned anything about us to him. I’ve told all of my relatives. How about your cousin Melanie that you write to every six months? Please tell me she knows about us?”

“Why would I mention it if someone didn’t ask me first?” Jim asked somewhat surprised at Blair’s attitude.

“Oh my God, you haven’t told Melanie either. I love Melanie, I was hoping she knew about us. No wonder she doesn’t ever ask about me. She doesn’t think I’m anyone in your life, you big stupid lug,” Blair shouted.

Max called down the stairs, “Is everything all right?”

“Everything is fine, Max. Play your game and keep Sam occupied for a little while longer, please,” Jim called out.

“You know if you could get away with it, you wouldn’t have told the kids,” Blair shoved Jim out of his way and went back to cooking.

“That’s not fair, Blair. I’m very open about you at work and with friends. What is the problem?” Jim asked, totally shocked.

Blair smiled at him and said, “It’s okay that you’re such an idiot. You just don’t lose your brain too often.”

“This is the third time you’ve called me stupid or an idiot. I’m not a happy camper right now, Blair.”

“Neither am I, so that makes two of us. Will you set the table for me, please?” Blair asked sounding like the old Blair again.

“Why are you mad, and not mad at the same time?” Jim really did wonder.

“Because I’m in love with you, you lug. Only I would be in love with a person that doesn’t tell the two people closest to him in his family that he’s gay and that I’m his lover. No wonder they never ask to talk to me when they call. No wonder I’m not noticed at all. Now I understand.”

“Stop calling me a lug, too. I don’t like it very much. I’m sorry I didn’t tell any of my family about us. It just never crossed my mind. I figured they must know since we adopted kids together. Wouldn’t you think they would know it by that alone?” Jim asked.

“A lot of friends that live together raise adopted children or foster kids. Did you bother to tell them the kids’ last name? They would have known then,” Blair pointed out.

“Blair, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.”

“Then why did you make the face that you made while reading the letter from Rucker?”

“He said that he’s going to find out what I think I’m up to. That means he’ll come and say something crappy and I’ll get pissed off and we’ll never talk again. And you wondered why I didn’t tell him, eh?” Jim asked sadly.

“Jim, stop getting ahead of yourself. You have no idea what he’s going to say. Let’s wait until he and Andrea get here and then we’ll talk to them. I wonder if they liked the wedding present we sent to them.”

“Blair, snap out of it. Who cares if they liked the present we sent to them? For all I care, they should have known we were gay giving a gift to them together.”

“You know, that’s true. I would know that someone was gay if they sent us a gift signed from the two of them. Okay, so I’m going to cut you a little slack for all of this,” Blair said wearing a big smile.

“Again, I ask, how can you be mad at me and not be mad at me?”

“Because I love you. Simple as that. We’ll see what Rucker has to say and we’ll go from there. I have a feeling he’ll be fine with us. He might have been teasing you,” Blair suggested.

“I’m dying to meet Andy. I wanted to go to their wedding but we had all of the things with the boys going on, so we couldn’t leave just then. I hope they understood.”

Blair smiled at his lover and said, “I want to meet Andy too and I’m sure they understood. Jim, I think they knew all along. I bet Rucker is just pulling your leg.”

“God, I hope so, because I’d hate to lose my best cousin and friend in one fail swoop. Besides, I’d like to have some babies running around for us to go see in the future.”

Blair couldn’t believe how cute Jim was, even if he was a twit. Blair pulled him into a kiss and got Jim’s motor running very quickly.

Jim pulled him up close so he could feel his hard on and Blair backed away just as fast and said, “The kids are hungry. They could be coming down any time now.”

“Then why were you teasing me?”

Blair laughed and said, “Get the kids down here for dinner. Count to ten and take deep breaths, it works for me.”

Jim laughed and called the kids down. As soon as he had yelled for them, his hard on was gone. They all came flying down the stairs with Sam yelling, “I beat Max on Guitar Hero. Isn’t that awesome?”

“That is awesome,” Jim replied.

“Max said that I’m better then any five year old he’s ever played against. So I must be good. I’m sure he’s played with a lot of five year olds before me,” Sam said and Max and Drew started laughing their butts off.

“What’s so funny?” Sam asked.

Blair said, “Your daddy, he was making funny faces.”

“Oh let me see one, daddy. I missed it,” Sam whined.

Jim made a good and goofy face for her and she laughed out loud. “He is funny, Max and Drew.”

They all smiled as they sat down to eat dinner. Blair waited until they were done and said, “Do you all remember dad talking about Rucker Ellison?”

“Yeah, I remember,” Max answered.

“Doesn’t he live on an island or something?” Drew asked.

“Yes, that’s the Rucker we’re talking about. Well it seems that they’re going to be in town tomorrow, so we asking you kids to act like good kids for a few days,” Blair teased.

They all started laughing and Sam wasn’t even sure what she was laughing at, but loved laughter.

Max said, “It’ll be nice meeting more of the family. You like Rucker, right?”

Jim thought a moment and answered, “Of course I like him. He’s my favorite cousin. And now he’s married to a nice girl named Andy. She’s very pretty in the pictures, so now you’ll get to see her in person. We’ve never met her either.”

Drew smiled and said, “This is going to be great. I love meeting new family. They might take awhile to get used to us, but we’ll win them over.”

Jim was concerned that they were worried about winning anyone over. “You kids don’t have to impress anyone. Well, except maybe me and pop. But other than that, you guys are all great. You don’t have to be nice for no reason. Understood?”

“Understood,” Max and Drew answered at the same time.

“So I don’t have to be good anymore?” Sam asked sweetly.

“No, you have to be good, but if someone is mean to you for any reason, you tell me and poppy and we’ll take care of things. Okay?” Jim asked.

“Okay, daddy. Nobody is mean to us, though.”

“Good, let’s get this table cleared off and do the dishes,” Blair said.

They all helped and then Jim finished loading the dishwasher and Blair helped Sam with the rest of her homework.

!!!!!!!!!!!

Two days later, Jim and Blair were at the loft on their day off when the doorbell rang. Jim was polishing the tile in the bathroom so he didn’t hear anyone at the door.

Blair opened it to a beautiful auburn haired woman looking lost. “Can I help you?” Blair asked.

“I’m looking for Blair Sandburg or Jim Ellison. We seem to have lost our bearings and lost the number to the unit they live in,” she said.

“You must be Andy?”

“And you must be Blair. I knew it when you opened the door. I just felt a connection. Let me yell at Rucker he’s on the second floor looking for Jim.”

She went to the stairwell and hollered, “Rucker it’s 307. You’re on the wrong floor.”

She walked back to Blair and gave him a huge hug. “I feel like I know you already. Rucker talks about you and Jim all the time. I was thrilled when he said we were making a trip here to see you.”

“I’m so glad to finally meet you. We wanted to come for the wedding, but things came up with the boys and we couldn’t leave. Wait until you meet our family,” Blair said proudly.

“I can’t wait. Samantha sounds precious and those boys sound so grown up already. They take such good care of their little sister. Thankfully Jim kept us posted about the family for the last year and a half, so it’s been nice.”

“Jim got the impression that Rucker was mad about something,” Blair said.

“He’s just mad that Jim didn’t tell him that you and he were married. I mean, I knew from the way Jim worded things. I could tell you were together. Rucker on the other hand has to be hit with a two-by-four.”

Blair smiled and said, “Must be an Ellison trait.”

Jim walked out of the bathroom wearing rubber gloves and said, “Who is this Chief?”

“Oh my God, Jim, you even say it cute. In the letters, you called him Chief and we would smile about that. But that Rucker never understood that he was your husband. I understood right away. Ellison’s must be on the slow side,” Andy teased.

“You must be Andy,” Jim said as he ripped the gloves off and went to shake her hand.

“Oh for crying out loud, I don’t get a hug?” Andy whined.

Jim laughed and hugged her quickly and then stepped back. “Where is Rucker?”

“Rucker is right here. She left me on the second floor to find you guys and didn’t bother telling me that she found you,” Rucker said and hugged Jim and then Blair. “Where are the kids?”

“I see how important ‘we’ are,” Blair kidded.

“Well, I can see that both of you are fine, I want to see the little cousins,” Rucker said.

“They won’t be home until 3:00 today. They go to this funny place called school, Rucker,” Jim joked.

“Speaking of funny, the strangest thing happened the other day. I was talking to my dad and he said something about you guys getting married. I don’t remember being invited. What’s up with you, Jim?”

“I’m sorry, I just figured you would know we were married by my letters,” Jim explained.

“I knew you were married about six months before you actually got married,” Andy teased.

“She did say that. I never understood how we were both reading the same letters. She got a lot more out of them then I did.” Rucker said.

“So you’re not mad about us being gay?” Jim asked.

“Jim, I had a feeling about you two back when you came to the island. Never worry about that. I was just pissed off that we weren’t invited to any of the kids birthdays or things like that. We’re family, man.”

Jim hugged Rucker with love and relief. “I’m sorry, I’ll give you their birthdays before you leave and we’ll celebrate all of their birthdays this weekend. How long are you staying?”

“We’re staying down the road a piece and it’s for five days. You’re going to be so sick of us by the time we leave, it won’t be funny,” Rucker said.

“Rucker, I can guarantee that we will never be sick of you. I love my cousins. If Melanie was here it would be perfect,” Jim admitted.

Andy smiled and said, “Funny you should mention that. She found out we were coming and she said she was going to meet us tomorrow at the hotel we’re staying at. She’s going to be here too.”

Blair said, “Does she know we’re married too?”

“Oh yeah, she figured that out just as fast as I did. Rucker’s the only slow one,” Andy said laughing.

“Who would like to go for lunch?” Jim asked.

Everyone raised their hand and Jim laughed as he pushed everyone out the door.

“I can’t wait to meet the kids,” Rucker said.

“You’ll meet them soon enough. I’m just so glad that they’ll get to see both of you and then tomorrow get to meet Melanie. I’m so excited about this.”

Blair hugged Jim and said, “Did I tell you that everything would be okay or what?”

“Yes, you did.”

And it was.

TBC

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 75
Cousins
By Patt

Word Count: 2870

Summary: The kids meet Rucker, Andrea and Melanie for the first time. Will they like them? But of course. 

When the kids arrived home from school they could hear loud talking beyond the door. Max said, “Who do you think is here?”

“Why don’t we walk in and find out,” Drew said as he opened the door. Sam followed right behind him.

They walked in and saw the strangers sitting there with their pop and dad and wondered if this was a good visit or a bad visit.

“Kids, come on in, I’d like you to meet some cousins of mine. This is Andrea Ellison and this is Rucker Ellison. They just got married a year ago. Andy and Rucker this is Samantha Rose, Drew Sandburg-Ellison and Max Sandburg-Ellison,” Jim introduced.

“I love cousins. I pretend that Mary is my cousin since she lives with my grampa all the time. I pretend that Mark and Mike are my cousins too. Now I have new cousins. I’m glad,” Sam said happily.

“Sam, you are the cutest little girl I’ve seen in a long, long while,” Andy said.

“You don’t get out much? There are a lot of cute little girls in my class at school.” Sam asked.

They all burst out laughing and Sam found herself wondering why they were laughing at her again.

“It’s really nice meeting you, Andy and Rucker. Dad talks about you both all the time. I would love to come to your place some time for a trip,” Max said.

Andy beamed with happiness and said, “Max, you and Drew and Sam are all welcome to come to our little island anytime you want to. It’s a great place to be and beautiful too.”

Rucker just smiled as Andy bonded with the kids. He knew that it was important that she do that.

Jim looked at Rucker and said, “Why don’t we go and pick up some dinner while they all talk and get to know each other?”

Rucker stood up to go and said, “Sounds good to me. Food always sounds good to me, Jim.”

Andy laughed and kissed him goodbye before he left. Jim did the same with Blair.

As they drove down the street, Jim asked, “Is there something wrong with Andy? You’ve been acting sort of odd when she’s around the kids.”

“We just found out that we can’t have children and she’s always wanted a large family, so this has been really hard on her. Don’t tell her that I told you about it, okay?”

“Rucker, have you considered adopting? Look how lucky we’ve been with the kids? Any kid in their right mind would love to be on that island with you and Andy. Think about it. You can get numerous children in all sorts of age groups. You could get your entire family in one shot.”

Rucker smiled and said, “I’m going to talk to her tonight at the hotel. I think she’d make such a good mom and I know she could love anyone.”

“You would too, though, right?” Jim asked.

“Oh yeah, I love kids. I was thinking about taking yours for the next six weeks and seeing if we like them or not,” Rucker teased.

“Actually, it might not be a bad idea for about two weeks. If you’re game, I think it would be good for the kids. They go to year round school which means they just get off at different times of the year. They have three weeks coming up next week. What do you think?”

“Jim, you would trust us with your kids?” Rucker asked somewhat shocked.

“I would trust you with my life Rucker and I know you would care for the kids like they were your own. Why don’t you ask Andy what she thinks and then get back to me,” Jim suggested.

“Thank you for the offer, Jim. It means the world to us. I can’t wait to tell Andy about it. She’ll either be thrilled or depressed. She’s been so down since we found out about her not being able to carry a child. This might be just what she needs. Especially little Samantha. She has always wanted a little girl.”

“Well talk to her and see what she says. You know where I’ll be.”

They picked up chicken for dinner with all of the fixings and headed back to the loft.

!!!!!!!!!!

Once Rucker got back to the hotel with Andy he told her what Jim had said. He watched her face go from a little sad, to very happy.

“He would trust us with the kids? Did he ask Blair?”

“No sweetheart, he hasn’t talked to Blair yet, but I don’t see a problem. What do you think?” Rucker asked.

“I think it’s a fabulous idea and I can’t wait to get the kids up to the guest house that we built. The boys will be thrilled to have their own place to stay and Sam can stay at the house with us. This will be wonderful. I’m so thrilled, Rucker.”

“Good, now come to bed and show me how happy you are,” Rucker teased and was hit with one wild woman full force. They both kissed and laughed and then made love. Rucker knew this was just what Andy needed.

!!!!!!!!!!

While lying in bed, Jim kissed Blair’s cheek and said, “I might have done something really stupid today.”

“How could you tell?” Blair kidded.

“Very funny. I offered the kids to Rucker and Andy for two weeks on the island. They just found out that Andy can’t have children and I thought if they could see how great ours were they might consider adoption. What do you think?”

“I think you should have asked me first, but yes, I agree it might be a great trip for the three of them. Where would everyone sleep?” Blair wondered.

“Rucker built a guest house that the boys can stay in and the second bedroom can be for Samantha in the main house. The boys would love it. They can take some things to make life a little more fun, but they can also just relax and enjoy life like it should be enjoyed. Rucker was thrilled and said he was going to talk to Andy tonight,” Jim said.

The phone rang and Jim picked it up, “Ellison.”

“Hey Jim, I had to call and ask if Blair okayed this trip. Andy wants to do it really badly. She’s hoping that Blair will agree to it, but wanted me to ask first,” Rucker said.

“Yeah, we just got done talking about it and we have to see the judge about Samantha leaving for two weeks, but it’s not a big deal. We’ll take care of that tomorrow and then you can try our children out for size,” Jim said happily.

“Don’t you think we should ask the kids first?” Rucker answered.

“Of course we’ll ask the kids, but they are usually game for anything that involves getting out of the house. Samantha might miss us the first couple of nights, but I think she’ll be fine after that,” Jim said.

“Well, we have the entire week to get to know them better and see if they really want to go with us. It’s going to be great, Jim. Thank you so much for the offer.”

“Night, Rucker,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

“Excited, are they?” Blair asked.

“Yeah, you could say that,” Jim replied.

“What time is Melanie coming tomorrow?” Blair asked.

“She’ll be here at about 9:00 in the morning, so we’ll see her before we go to work.”

“You’ll see her, I won’t. I have to teach class tomorrow, did you forget?” Blair joked.

“Shit, I did. Why don’t we try and take some time off while they are here? Do you think you could get away from the academy?”

“I don’t know, Jim. But if we could take off from the station, that would still be so nice. Then I would only have to teach three days while they are here. It’s early, so no one would miss me,” Blair said.

“I always miss you, babe.”

“Come here and let me show you what you love the most about me,” Blair said as he began to give Jim a blow job of all blow jobs.

This was one night Jim wasn’t going to forget easily. Blair made it hard to forget any night.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair got up and left for teaching very early and Jim called Simon to ask about some time off. Simon gave them the rest of the week off and two days of the next week. Jim was thrilled to say the least. He knew Blair would be too.

When the kids came down for breakfast, Jim said, “I need to talk to all three of you about something very important.”

“What is it daddy? We always listen if it’s important,” Sam asked.

“Well, my cousin Rucker and his wife Andy would like to take you on a two week trip to their island. It’s totally up to you, but I’m telling you, it’s beautiful there and there are tons of things to do and see. You would never get bored. Rucker would teach you both how to drive a motor boat and Andy could teach Samantha how to cook and do other things. What do you think of this idea?”

Samantha looked shocked and answered, “Daddy, I don’t want to leave you and poppy alone for two weeks, what would you ever do?”

Max and Drew burst out laughing and Jim glared at them. He was kidding, but he still glared to show them who was in charge.

“Why poppy and I would catch up on a ton of things at work while you were gone. Uncle Simon said we might have to work a lot of hours then anyhow, so we wouldn’t be home for too long. So you see, you could go with them and have a good time, hiking, swimming, boating and fishing. It’s a wonderful place to be for two weeks. What do you think about that, Sam?”

“I think I might like it. I like Andy. She’s very nice,” Sam replied.

“They like you too, honey. So they would be thrilled to have all three of you on their island. The lighthouse is awesome,” Jim said.

“I’ve always loved lighthouses,” Drew said quickly and happily.

“I think it would be fun. You guys could have some down time. Would we be able to call you now and then?” Max asked.

“You know you can call us as often as you need to. We’re going to miss you all, but it’ll be worth the trip. I’m going to get you all digital cameras to take on this trip and then when you get home, we can make up photo albums for each of you. We’ll have all of the pictures printed and make a book for everyone. It’s going to be great. And today you get to meet my other cousin, Melanie. She’s coming today at 9:00. She’s really nice too,” Jim said.

They all talked while they ate breakfast and at 7:30 Rucker and Andy were at the door all smiles.

Sam jumped into Andy’s lap and said, “We get to go to your house for two weeks and have fun. My daddy and poppy have to work a lot, so it’ll be more fun for us there.”

Andy glowed with joy. “I’m so happy, Sam. We’re going to have a fantastic time. We’ll do all sorts of fun things while you’re there. Then if you have a good time, you can come and visit us every summer if you’d like to.”

Max smiled and said, “That sounds really cool. I love islands and would love to see yours.”

Drew stood by waiting and said, “Can I take lots of pictures of the lighthouse? I love them.”

“Honey, you can do almost anything within reason at our place. We’ll have rules set down once you get there. But nothing bad and this week is going to be great fun. We get to see you and then see you again,” Andy said smiling.

Max, Drew and Sam all left for school leaving Jim to talk with Rucker and Andy before Melanie arrived.

“Jim, I want to thank you for trusting us with your most prized possessions. I would never let anything happen to any of them. Don’t you worry about a thing,” Rucker said.

Jim hugged his cousin, quickly and said, “I’m so thrilled that you like all of the kids, that’s it’s wonderful for us too.”

Andy hugged Jim and said, “If this goes well and the kids like us, we’re going to think about adoption. It seems to have worked out well for you. Did Rucker tell you we can’t have a family?”

“Yes, but we couldn’t either and look at us now,” Jim said.

The three of them talked like crazy about what they would do with the kids for two weeks while waiting for Melanie.

!!!!!!!!!!

At 9:00, Melanie arrived like clockwork and knocked on Jim’s loft door.

He opened it up and hugged her to him quickly. “You look wonderful Melanie.”

“Oh Jim, you are the sweetest cousin a woman could ever ask for,” Mel replied.

“Wait a minute, what about me?” Rucker asked as he hugged her too.

“I adore both of you. It was so good having you both in my life, I feel honored to be in the family sometimes,” Mel answered.

Melanie then hugged Andy and said, “You look absolutely wonderful. Have you met Jim and Blair’s kids yet?”

“Oh my god, they are only the greatest kids in the world,” Andy said.

“But of course, would you expect anything less from Jim or Blair?” Melanie asked.

They talked for about another two hours and then Blair came walking into the loft. He hugged Melanie and told her how great she looked.

“I swear, the two of you are the kindest men I’ve ever met. You don’t even mention that I’ve put on about 20 pounds since you last saw me,” Melanie said laughing.

Rucker laughed too and said, “Hell if they noticed weight gain, they would have noticed it on me.”

The four of them went to lunch and talked like crazy people during the meal. Rucker told Mel how they were going to get the kids for two weeks next week and Mel got a look of sadness on her face. “So I can’t have them at all?”

“You’re welcome to have them too, Mel,” Blair said.

“I was hoping for Thanksgiving or something like that,” Mel said.

“Nope, they stay home on holidays. We always spend holidays together. That’s a family rule. But you could come here, Mel. We’d love to have you for a week in November,” Jim offered.

“Oh that sounds good too. I’m going to take you up on it. I could stay in the same hotel I’m in right now. It’s plenty big for keeping a certain niece over night with me. I’m sure the boys would find me most boring. But Samantha is going to love my shopping skills.” They all laughed and spent the rest of the day talking, laughing and just enjoying each other.

!!!!!!!!!!

That night, they all met at Claim Jumper for dinner with William, Sarah, Mark, Mike and Mary. Rucker, Andy and Melanie could hardly wait to meet the new woman in William’s life. The kids all got to sit at a table by themselves while the adults all sat and chatted across from them. William was thrilled to have everyone meet his new love and the kids too. William was quite proud of all of them.

The night ended nicely and everyone went their separate ways. Jim and Blair knew they were indeed blessed with great family.

!!!!!!!!!!

The following week, the kids went anywhere and everywhere with Melanie, Andy and Rucker after they got out of school and on the weekend. Andy and Rucker helped Samantha pack her bag for the trip to the island and then they helped Max and Drew do the same. It was quite a bit colder there, so they needed warmer clothes.

Melanie left and made plans to come again in November. The kids were sad to see her leave.

When the time came for the kids to leave, Jim and Blair kissed their children 20 times each and hugged them over and over again knowing they would miss them like crazy. Jim even got a little misty eyed over them leaving. Once they were gone, Jim and Blair plopped down on the sofa and Blair said, “What in the world are we going to do with ourselves for two weeks?”

“I’ll race you upstairs,” Jim said laughing as he ran for the stairs with Blair knocking him out of the way, on his way up. Yes, both men knew exactly what they would be doing for two weeks. They would miss their children like crazy, but they would also find themselves more in love then they were before.

Hot damn!

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 76
Alone Again
By Patt

Word Count: 2885

Summary: Just how much do Jim and Blair miss their kids while visiting Rucker and Andy’s island?

“They haven’t called in three days. Do you think I’m being too much of a pest if I call and talk to them?” Jim asked.

“Jim, we just talked to them three days ago. They’re fine, they’re doing well. You know how much fun their having with Rucker and Andy. You just know it. So what’s the problem?”

“Blair, don’t you think they should be missing us more? They’ve only spoken with us twice in ten days. Why don’t they miss us as much as we miss them?”

“Because they’re kids, Jim. They’re having a wonderful time on the island and they want to be away from us. It’s good for them, but when they get home, they’re not going anywhere for a long, long while,” Blair teased.

“So you miss them as much as I do?” Jim asked.

“Duh… Of course I miss them. I would like for Rucker and Andy to call and say that they need to bring them home early, but I know they’re having a great time. And it’s important that they spend time with Rucker and Andy. Don’t you think?” Blair inquired.

“Yeah, you’re right. God, I never thought I would miss Sam’s talking non-stop the way she does. But I’m missing her something fierce. We still have four days to go before they come home. Jesus, are we that pathetic?”

“You’re pathetic. Me on the other hand, I’m thinking of going upstairs and doing something fun without our kids, if you catch my drift,” Blair kidded.

“I have liked all of the wild sex we’ve been having. That part is good. But sex isn’t everything, you know, Chief?”

“Oh my god, I just know you didn’t just say that.”

“It’s true. I love having wild sex with you with no audience, but I miss our babies,” Jim whined.

“Do you want to fool around before we have to go to work or not? And what do you mean without an audience? We’ve never had an audience,” Blair asked.

“I was thinking we could call the kids this morning and see how they’re doing,” Jim suggested. “I don’t mean anyone watched us, but I was always afraid that the kids could hear us. That’s what I meant by the audience.”

“Jim, I promised Andy that we wouldn’t call all the time. That would make them more homesick. She wanted them to feel more at home at their house then they would if we called every ten minutes.”

“We haven’t called every ten minutes, Chief. Geeze, I think you’re over-exaggerating. We’ve only talked to them twice in ten days. Which isn’t enough as far as I’m concerned.”

“Oh for Christ sake, just call them and get it over with,” Blair ordered.

Jim picked up the phone happily and dialed Rucker’s number that he now knew from calling it in his mind so much.

Rucker answered the phone, “Hello?”

“Hi Rucker, this is Jim. How are the kids doing?”

“Gee Jim, they’re doing dreadfully. I just didn’t think to call and tell you how terribly they were doing. They’ll probably never get over the pain and the agony of being separated from you for two weeks.”

“Very funny, Rucker. I can’t help missing my kids. Can I talk to them please?”

“Well, you called at a bad time. They’re all up at the light house. Drew wanted to get pictures and wanted them at this time of day, so they’re up there walking, talking and having fun. Jim, stop worrying. They’re doing great. They miss you, but they know they’re going to see you in four more days. It’s not like I’m keeping them forever. Although, Andy and I have decided that they are the best kids and we might just take them off your hands,” Rucker said laughing.

“Well, you can’t have them. We miss them like crazy. Okay, Blair is making a face at me. He misses them, but not as much as I do. I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” Jim explained.

“You’re a dad, Jim. That’s what’s wrong. Blair misses them as much as you do, I bet if you don’t say anything about them in the next two days, he’ll bring it up to call and see how they are. He’s a big worrier too. It’s not just you.”

“I’m glad they’re having a good time, Rucker. We’re also glad that you like our kids.”

“We love your kids. We’ve decided that we want to adopt four. We think two teenagers would be great and then two younger children. Andy would like a girl in there somewhere, but we’d be happy with any sex. We just hope to get as lucky as you guys did. We’ve already put in the call to a lawyer and he’s looking into it for us right now. So with any luck, these kids will have more cousins to hang around with soon.”

“They’ll be damn lucky to get you and Andy as parents. I can’t wait to hear some good news from you as soon as you hear something. Now I’ll let you get back to whatever you were doing. Talk to you soon,” Jim said.

“Bye Jim,” Rucker said with a smile as he hung up the phone. He adored his cousin and was glad that Jim and Blair had found such happiness and did so well with the kids. Now he better get back to work, or Andy would get angry. One of them actually had to work while the other one took the kids places.

!!!!!!!!!!

Simon called Jim into his office. Jim was trying to figure out what he had done when he walked in the room. “What’s up, Simon?”

“Jim, are you going to continue to mope around the station as long as the kids are gone? It’s sad, you know? You’re supposed to be enjoying your time away from them for a change. Instead, you’re moping. And now you’re pouting.”

“Sir, I can’t help it. I miss them. I adore Blair, but our lives are so much more with the kids in it. Don’t you miss Daryl?”

“Sir? What’s up with calling me sir?”

“All right, Simon, don’t you miss Daryl?”

“Yes, I miss him like crazy, but he’s happy, so I’m happy for him. He has a new girlfriend he wants us to meet this weekend and I’m looking forward to it. But I sometimes don’t talk to him but twice a week on the phone. Not all of us are as good at parenting as you are, Jim.”

“So you really think I’m a good dad?”

“Jim, Blair is the only one that might have you beat. I think Blair is a little disappointed in you though. He wanted a little more togetherness while the kids were gone. He told Rafe that he’s missing you more then when the kids were there. Your mind must not be in it.”

Jim looked out the window of Simon’s office and saw a sad looking Blair and said, “Can I have the next four days off? We’ve got all of that time coming. We could just hang out at the house and live it up. He would like that. Hell, even I would like that. I adore him. I can’t believe I didn’t see what I was doing,” Jim said softly.

“Sure, take off for lunch now and I’ll see you after the kids get home. Take good care of your partner,” Simon said patting Jim on the back as he walked out of the office.

Jim said, “Lunch, Chief.”

“Where are we going?” Blair asked as he grabbed his jacket.

“How does Red Lobster sound for lunch and then Claim Jumper for dinner?” Jim said.

“Wow, what’s the occasion?”

“Living large is all. I want to hang out with my best friend and lover. So let’s get this show on the road,” Jim said as he grabbed his jacket.

The two men walked down the stairs and got into the SUV and drove to Red Lobster. Blair turned to him and said, “We don’t have to go back to work do we?”

“I was saving that as a surprise, but no we don’t have to go back to work until after the kids get home. It’s just you and me Chief.”

“What brought this on?” Blair wondered.

Jim smiled. “I knew I was ignoring you and thought it was what all parents do. But I was being selfish. I want you to be happy. I want us to be happy. We should be having the time of our life, right?”

“Right. Did Simon say something?”

“He wondered if I was ignoring you because you seemed sad. It knocked me right upside the head and I’m sorry, Chief.”

“It’s okay, Jim. It’s the first time we’ve been away from the kids.”

“Well, for the next four days, I’m yours. Whatever you want to do, I’m game,” Jim said wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

“Would you go to an art gallery with me tonight?” Blair asked.

“Sure, who is it?”

“Karen Manson. She’s the one that does the beautiful nudes. It’s not something we could have taken the kids to, so this will be nice for just the two of us. Karen would be so pleased if we came. She hasn’t seen us in ages.”

“Chief, I don’t mean to sound stupid, but who in the hell is Karen Manson?”

Blair burst out laughing and said, “You met her about six months ago. She’s very easy on the eyes, you even mentioned it to me after we left her gallery. She’s got a new show opening tonight. It should be good.”

“I’ll take your word for it, Chief. Now how about eating lunch? I’m starving.”

They got seated for lunch and ate like pigs. They were having a very good time. They talked about some cases that they were working on, but mostly about each other. Jim was paying very close attention to Blair and Blair loved it.

They finished eating and left the restaurant. Jim said, “Shit, I don’t know that I’ll be able to eat a steak tonight at Claim Jumper. Maybe something small tonight like a salad and then tomorrow we can go to Claim Jumper. Would that work for you?”

“That would be perfect Jim. I would like to lie in bed with you for about four hours. I’m not talking sex, I’m talking just talking, holding and loving each other. But then of course, if you wanted sex, that would be all right too.”

Jim opened the SUV door for Blair and Blair kissed him for doing it. “You haven’t opened the door for me in ages. I really thought maybe we were past that in our relationship. Thank you for doing it again.”

Jim smiled all the way around to his side of the SUV. This was working out well. Blair was responding to everything Jim was suggesting. And Jim also found out that he was fine with not talking about the kids all day. It didn’t mean that they didn’t love them. It just meant that they didn’t need them to be around them all the time.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim was holding Blair in the bed at about 7:00 that night. It was the third time Jim had fucked him. Blair couldn’t seem to get enough, but Jim was getting tired. He was too old for that much fucking.

“It’s okay Jim, I see the look on your face and I know we’ve been fooling around too much today. You look tired. I’ll go make the salads and you have a little nap.”

“Why aren’t you tired? God, am I that old?” Jim whined.

“I’m ten years younger then you, Jim. And I just needed you today, that’s all. Thank you for everything.”

Jim pulled Blair back into his arms and they began kissing again. “I’d really like you to fuck me, this time,” Jim suggested.

“I could do that. Are you hungry, big boy?”

“Yeah, I am. But I can wait,” Jim admitted.

“No, let’s go downstairs, have some salad and then we’ll go to bed for the night.” Blair pulled Jim out of the bed and they walked down the stairs naked.

“You know, there are good things about being without kids for awhile. I love walking around naked with you,” Jim confessed.

“I love it too. Now let’s eat so we can go back upstairs,” Blair said as he started making up the salads.

!!!!!!!!!!

The next morning, Jim and Blair both slept until ten o’clock. This was a record for them. Blair smiled at Jim and said, “We never got out to the gallery.”

“I’m sorry, Chief, I forgot all about it.”

“It’s okay, but you’re not getting out of it tonight. Okay?” Blair asked.

“That’s fine with me. I’m looking forward to seeing her since I said she was so easy on the eyes,” Jim teased.

“As long as you don’t stare at her for too long,” Blair warned.

Jim cuddled up next to Blair and just lay there quietly. The phone rang and both men groaned.

Blair reached over and answered it. “Sandburg.”

“Poppy, it’s Sam. Do you remember me?”

Blair sat right up and said, “Of course I remember you, Sam. You’re my little angel, it’s not like I could ever forget you.”

“Does daddy still remember me too?” Sam asked tearfully.

“Yes, daddy still remembers you too and he misses you and the boys like crazy. So do I. What’s wrong, pumpkin?”

“I want to come home. The boys can stay, but I want to come home. Uncle Rucker said that I could if you said it was okay.”

“Honey, you can come home whenever you want. But we’ll have the boys come home too. Okay?” Blair asked.

“That would be good, because they miss you and daddy too. They told Auntie Andy this morning that they couldn’t wait to get home and see you.”

“Sweetie, let me talk to Uncle Rucker,” Blair said.

Sam screamed into the phone, “Uncle Rucker, poppy wants to talk to you.”

Blair was now deaf, but he was very happy at the thought of having his family back together.

Rucker came to the phone and said, “Blair? Did she tell you that she wants to come home?”

“She mentioned it. What brought that on?” Blair wondered.

“She was talking about the two of you at breakfast and just started to cry.
Then Drew and Max both got upset while trying to calm her and they said it might be time to go home. I think they might be right. She needs her daddy and poppy. So do the boys. They’ve been missing you something fierce. I didn’t want to tell you and worry you. But I was watching for signs. I must have missed one, I guess. I’m sorry. But we’re bringing them back tonight. Does that work for the two of you?”

Blair smiled. “Of course that works for us. We’re dying to get our children back home. We’ve been trying not to drive you nuts with phone calls, but we’re missing them like crazy.”

“We’ll be there about 6:00 tonight. See you then,” Rucker said before he hung up the phone.

Blair looked at Jim and said, “Fuck the art show. We get our kids back. Hot damn.”

Jim pulled him into his arms again and they slept for two more hours. Both men were exhausted.

!!!!!!!!!!

When Rucker and Andy showed up with the kids, Jim and Blair were about nuts. They had missed those kids so much. Jim and Blair couldn’t imagine not being in their lives all the time.

Max was the first one in the door and went right into Jim’s arms for a huge hug. Then he hugged Blair. “Man, did I miss you guys. It was a great time, but we missed our dads.”

Drew was next and hugged both men and said much of the same thing. Then Rucker and Andy came in carrying a sobbing Samantha.

Jim took her into his arms and said, “Next time we’ll go with you, okay?”

“That would be nice, daddy. I missed you and poppy too much. And you never called me.”

“Honey, we told you to call us if you were missing us. Why didn’t you call us?” Blair asked.

She started crying again and said, “I didn’t want to be a baby. I missed you and daddy too much, poppy.”

“We’ll never let you go anywhere for that long again, okay? We’re glad to have you home. Were you good for Uncle and Auntie?” Blair asked.

“Oh yes, we were very good. They said they wanted to keep us. Max said they were teasing, but I wasn’t sure,” Sam said sadly.

Jim smiled and hugged her tight. “That’s because everyone wishes they had our little Sam and her two darling brothers’, Max and Drew. We’re so glad to have you home.”

Rucker and Andy talked into the night and then they all got the kids into bed. Andy and Rucker had to go back to the island, so they were on their way very late at night, but it didn’t matter. They were happy. They loved being able to share in Jim and Blair’s wonderful life.

Life was good.

Family was even better.

The end

Family Life Part 77
I Heart You
By Patt

Word Count: 1980

Summary: Jim and Blair wake up to something wonderful.

“Pssst… Poppy are you awake?” Sam called out quietly in the dark.

“I am now sweetie, what’s wrong?” Blair said almost sitting up to try and wake up. He looked at the clock and it said 5:00, this wasn’t good. Blair and Jim got to sleep in today, but Sam must not have received the memo.

“Nothing is wrong, I came up to show you and daddy what I can make.”

“What? What can you make, Sam?” Blair whispered, knowing full well that Jim was already awake.

“Can’t you see? You and daddy both need to look.”

Blair sat up and Jim sat up next to him and said, “Turn the lamp on, you have to see this. It’s darling.”

Blair turned the lamp on and tried not to have the light hurt his eyes, but it was too late. He was blinking like mad.

“Poppy, you have to see it, my hand is getting tired. Auntie Andy taught me how to make this heart with my hands so that I could show both of you how much I love you,” Sam ordered.

Blair rubbed his eyeballs and looked at Sam holding up her hands together in the shape of a heart. It was darling.

“I heart you both,” Sam said sweetly.

Jim pulled her up onto the bed and squeezed her and kissed her until she was giggling.

“How long did it take you to learn that, Sam?” Jim asked.

“Well, I had to start in front of the mirror so I can see what it looked like. Then once I got the hang of it, I could move away from the mirror. I practiced on Max and Drew. They said I made a good heart.”

“You do make a good heart, Sam. We heart you too,” Blair said pulling her into his arms.

“Are we going to have breakfast now?” Sam asked.

“Did you get up this early every day at Andy and Rucker’s house?” Jim wondered if this was a new thing or what.

“This is when they get up. So then I got up. Now I’m used to it. They always get up in the dark.”

“Well, see, we don’t, Sam. So we’re going to go back to sleep for about another hour or more, okay?” Blair asked.

“Are you angry with me, poppy?”

“No honey, I just don’t like waking up in the dark. Let’s all go back to sleep for a little while, okay?” Blair answered.

“Will you tuck me back in bed, poppy?”

“I sure will. Anything to get a little more sleep.” Blair walked her down the stairs and noticed that Jim was already asleep. Blair was going to make him pay for that when he got back upstairs.

When Blair got back upstairs Jim was now in the middle of the bed taking up the entire space for him. Then he realized that Jim was probably kidding around. Blair slid on top of him and said, “Want to talk about the first thing that comes up?”

But there was no answer except for a little snore. Blair couldn’t believe he fell asleep that quickly. Blair slid off Jim and rolled over to one side and barely had enough room to lie on his side. He just got comfy with the sheet when Jim attacked him. Blair couldn’t help it, he giggled like a little girl. Jim kissed his mouth to keep him from making all of that noise. They didn’t want to wake Sam up, that was for sure.

Jim made quiet but passionate love to Blair and both of them were happy as hell with the outcome of this morning’s I heart you incident. Blair got them all cleaned up and Jim whispered , “I heart you, Chief.”

“I heart you, too,” Blair replied.

!!!!!!!!!!

They found themselves sleeping until 8:00 and still no sound from Sam’s room. Jim got up to check on her. He listened and she was still sawing logs. There was nothing to be worried about.

Jim and Blair made a great breakfast and couldn’t believe that all of the kids were sleeping so late. They made it sound like they had been up early every day while at Rucker’s house. Maybe they needed to catch up.

“Why don’t you get the kids up, Chief? We need to eat this stuff before it gets rubbery and cold.”

“I’ll be Bach.” Blair went running for the staircase and saw Max and Drew coming down. “Just in time for breakfast, you lazy bums, you.”

“We were trying to catch up on sleep. Uncle Rucker and Aunt Andy had us doing things at the crack of dawn every day. It was nice to just sleep in,” Max said walking beside Blair as they descended the stairs.

“Sam woke me and your dad up this morning showing us the I heart you sign and we thought it was the cutest thing in the world,” Blair admitted.

“It is cute and she worked so hard on getting it right, too. She practiced every single day in front of the mirror and then finally tried it on us a few times before she came home. She missed you both so much that it was all she thought about,” Drew said.

Blair walked in with the boys following. Both Jim and Blair were busy for a moment and they turned around and saw Max and Drew doing the sign for I heart you to them too. Jim and Blair both hugged the boys and Blair said, “Will you get your little sister up, please. Tell here there are waffles.”

A few minutes later, Sam came walking in doing the sign again and Jim and Blair did the sign back to her. She loved that. “Did Auntie Andy teach you too?”

“No, honey, Drew and Max taught us this morning. Aren’t we good for learning it so quick?” Jim asked.

“Did you do it a lot of times in front of the mirror?” Sam asked making everyone smile.

“We sure did, Sam. That’s how we knew we were doing it right. Thank you Drew and Max for teaching us how to do that,” Blair said sweetly.

They all sat down to breakfast and got finished and then everyone helped clean up the kitchen afterwards. When they were all done, Jim got the camera out so he could take some pictures of Sam doing her sign of love to them and snapped some off. He wanted to put one on their desks. Then he took two of the boys, because they needed some newer ones of them too. It was funny how quickly they were growing. Jim found it sad sometimes, but other times found himself proud that they were doing a good job raising them all. So far, so good.

Jim went upstairs and printed the new pictures up for the office desks and brought them down to show Blair.

“Oh my god, Sam is so cute, but we should have combed her hair first, Jim.”

“Blair, it looks more real this way. I loved it. It’s going on our desk at work,” Jim announced proudly. “And look at these new pictures I took of the boys. They are changing so much, I figured we needed a new one of each of them for our desks.”

“They are growing up so fast, Jim, I wonder if that’s good or bad.”

“I was thinking the same thing, Chief.”

They all took their showers, got ready to go somewhere and Jim told them they were going to the movies.

“What are we going to see, daddy?”

“Yeah, dad, what are we going to see?” Drew asked bouncing in place.

“Let me look at the movies and I’ll guess which one their taking us to,” Max said grabbing the newspaper and looking up the listings for the movies. “Okay, I know exactly what we’re going to see and Sam is going to love it. It’s called Legend of the Guardians. It’s a cartoon about owls, Sam. It’s going to be great. I saw some previews and they were really good.”

“Do you guy’s mind going and seeing it too?” Jim asked.

“I want to see it, bad, dad. I’m game,” Drew answered.

“Yeah, I want to see it too. The graphics are really nice for this movie. Want to see a preview before we go?” Max asked.

“Boys, I think if we’re going to see the movie, we don’t need to see a preview ahead of time,” Blair kidded.

They all laughed as they got ready to go. Jim loved their family times and he knew that Blair did too.

!!!!!!!!!!

“How did you like the movie, Sam?” Max inquired.

“I loved it. I can’t wait to get it on DVD. It’s going in my collection, right daddy?”

“If we can afford it,” Jim teased.

“I could clean Auntie Megan’s house for extra money, daddy. Then we could buy it,” Sam said sweetly.

“Honey, I was kidding. We’ll have enough money. Daddy just loves to tease his little girl.”

She laughed and hugged his leg as they walked.

“So what did you boys think of it?” Blair asked.

Drew said, “I think it’s something that Mark and Mike and Mary would love. So maybe we can all go with them tomorrow and see it again.”

“Sounds like a good idea. I’m glad you liked it so much. It’s nice that teens like a kid’s film every now and then,” Jim remarked.

Max said, “Sam do you want to see Tangled when it comes out?”

“Is that the preview that we saw today where the pretty girl lets down her hair?” Sam asked.

Max smiled. “Yup, that’s the one, Sam. It looked fun didn’t it?”

“It looked very fun, Max. Will you go with me and see it?”

“I think we’ll probably do one of these family days again when it comes out. I think it doesn’t come out for a month or so. So we have to be patient and wait for a while,” Max explained.

“Oh I can wait. I love family days. Where are we going now, daddy and poppy?”

“We’re going to go for an early dinner, then back home to catch up on some laundry and things,” Jim said.

!!!!!!!!!!

That night after they got everyone to bed and settled Jim and Blair went upstairs to bed.

“Did you notice I only checked the lock on the front door once tonight?” Jim asked proudly.

“Jim, that’s because you had me check it twice before you followed up. You are still OCD, so just live with it,” Blair teased as he got into bed.

“You know, these days are going to be gone before we know it. The kids will be grown and we’ll be all alone again,” Jim said sadly.

“First of all, there will be grandchildren some day, the kids will still come and visit and lastly there is nothing wrong with us being alone again. I can’t believe you’re the one I had to talk into fostering the boys. Remember you really didn’t want to do it?”

Jim sighed and said, “You’re never going to let me forget that are you?”

“No, I’m not. It just proves that a person can change and grow with age. I’m glad you have done that. You’re a great dad, Jim Ellison.”

“And you are a great pop, Blair Sandburg. Thank you for making my life so much more. I love you,” Jim said as he kissed Blair deeply.

Blair went with this kiss because he knew where it was going to take them and he for one wasn’t going to complain. He was so glad that Jim hearted him.

Life was good.

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Family Life Part 78
A Day at a Ranch
By Patt

Word Count: 2958

Summary: Blair gets invited by an old friend to a dude ranch and it’s for the kids too. Jim is jealous. Raise your hand if you’re surprised. LOL  Actually Jim did really well this time.

The phone rang and Jim answered it, “Ellison.”

“Yes, is there a Blair Sandburg there?” a man’s voice asked nicely.

Jim was immediately interested in who it was. “Yes, just a moment, please.”

Jim handed the phone to Blair and Blair looked at him somewhat surprised. “Who is it?”

Jim covered the phone and answered, “Don’t have a clue. This is someone new.”

Blair took the phone and said, “Hello?” He figured it was Rafe or Brown goofing around, but no, it wasn’t. Instead he found out it was someone he really loved hearing from.

“Hey Blair, this is Dave. I haven’t seen you in five years and I was just thinking about you. What have you been up to?”

“Dave? Dave Dawson?” Blair asked smiling.

“Of course Dave Dawson. What other Dave do you know?” The man teased.

“From college, about six or seven. So just shut up. What have you been up to?” Blair asked happily.

Jim watched from the kitchen as Blair walked happily from the dining room to the living room. The smile never left his face. Jim hated this man. He wasn’t going to even spend any time wondering about him. He was going to hate him right away. He didn’t want to waste any time on anything.

“I’ve work with my dad at his horse ranch and was wondering if you’d like to come up for a weekend to ride horses and just hang out at the ranch?” Dave asked sweetly.

“Oh that’s really nice, but I’m with someone and we have a family. Since I’ve met you, we have adopted three kids. So as you can see, I won’t be coming out to spend a weekend at your ranch,” Blair replied.

“We’ve got a bunkhouse for families, if you’d like to come for this weekend. It’s open. You can bring your SO and your children and ride horses all weekend. I’m sure the kids would love it,” Dave decided.

“Oh the kids would love it. But I don’t know if I can take off work on Sunday. I have Saturday off, but I had promised someone I would work for him on Sunday. So maybe next time the bunkhouse is open for a family weekend we can come,” Blair said sadly.

Jim walked up to him and said, “Tell him to hang on for a moment.”

“Hang on a moment, Dave, Jim needs to talk to me really fast,” Blair said.

Jim said softly, “If you want to take the kids that would be nice for them and for you. I could work for Joel on Sunday. I’ve rode horses many, many times, so it wouldn’t be that big of a thrill for me. Go, it’ll be fun. Tell him to count on you and the kids being there.”

“Jim, are you certain?” Blair kissed him when Jim shook his head yes. He wanted to shake it no, but that wouldn’t have been fair. He could still hate the man from afar.

“Jim just told me to take the kids for the weekend and he’d work for me on Sunday. So I just need the address and what time we need to come. Oh, and what type of clothing should we bring?” Blair was bouncing and Jim knew he had done the right thing.

Jim went into the kitchen and slapped himself on the back of the head. There was no one else to do it, so what the hell.

Dave was very excited and said, “Jeans, jeans and more jeans. They are what is most comfortable riding horses. It’s been fairly cool, so make sure and bring long sleeve shirts and jackets for them too. Well, you too. We can’t have you getting cold now can we?”

Blair had the first twinge of anxiety about doing this. Dave used to be crazy about Blair and Blair wasn’t crazy about Dave. He liked him as a friend but that’s as far as it ever went. So Dave had just dropped out of Blair’s life. It looked like he was back in it.

“Are you sure this is okay with your dad?” Blair asked.

“Blair, my dad lives next door and I run the ranch. I’ve done it for the last five years. So the only person that has to okay it is me. And I’ve got the room set aside for all of you. Who are you bringing?”

“Max is sixteen, Drew is 14 and Samantha is 5. They’re going to be thrilled about riding horses all weekend. This is so nice of you, Dave. I can’t thank you enough. I just wish Jim could have been with us. You would really like Jim, Dave. He’s a nice guy.”

“Well, maybe he can come next time,” Dave suggested.

“Good thinking. Give me the address and tell me what time to be there on Saturday morning,” Blair ordered with a smile on his face.

“Bossy as ever, I see.” Dave gave him the address and told him he’d see them all at 7:00 on Saturday morning.

Blair got off the phone and went in and looked at Jim closely. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong, Chief. Why would something be wrong?”

“I don’t know, you just look funny,” Blair replied.

“Gee thanks, that makes me feel ten times better.”

“Sorry. I just wondered if you were already regretting us going without you.”

“Of course I regret it, but I didn’t want you all to miss out on it. I’ll catch up with him next time we go. How does that sound?” Jim asked.

“That’s what Dave said. Were you listening to my call?”

“Of course I was listening to your call. How do you think I knew what was going on?”

“Oh yeah. It must be hell being a Sentinel sometimes,” Blair decided.

“Sometimes it is. But other times if I get to see you as happy as you are now, it’s worth it,” Jim said as he went in for a slow, sensual kiss.

Sam walked in and said, “Stop all that kissing, daddy and poppy. What are we having for dinner?”

“Well missy, I guess you don’t want to hear the news about where we’re going this weekend do you?” Blair taunted her.

“Where are we going, tell me poppy? Please?”

“Go get your brothers and tell them I have news about the weekend and they might be interested in hearing about it,” Blair suggested.

Samantha went running up the stairs and the boys came following down the stairs almost as quickly as Sam did.

“So what’s going on this weekend?” Max asked.

“I sort of had plans,” Drew said quietly.

“Well, we’ve been invited to a horse ranch for a weekend. We’ll have our own bunkhouse and you kids will get to learn how to ride horses all weekend long. Does that sound like fun?” Blair asked.

Drew was the first one that answered, “Yeah, that sounds way more fun then hanging with Mark all weekend. This is going to be so fun, pop. Dad, are you excited too?”

“Well, see that’s the bad part. Dad can’t come with us because he’s going to work on Sunday so that I can go with you kids and have fun. What do you think?” Blair wondered if it would make a difference without Jim being there.

Max said, “Dad, I’m sorry you can’t come, but I’ll bring you a postcard.” He walked up to Jim and gave him a hug laughing the entire time.

“Daddy isn’t coming?” Sam asked tearfully.

Jim got down on his knee to talk to Sam and said, “I’ll go the next time we all go, okay?”

“But I want you to go, daddy,” Sam whined.

“Well, we don’t always get exactly what we want,” Jim answered.

Blair looked at him oddly and said, “Jim, did you really want to go? Because you can go and I can work.”

“Poppy, I want you to go too,” Sam continued to whine.

“Blair, I want you all to go this weekend. I was just being an asshole. I’m sorry. Now, it’s settled. I’m working, you’re going and having fun. You’ll take lots of pictures for me so that I don’t feel like I missed the entire thing.”

Max smiled. “I’ll take lots, dad. Never fear.”

“Have I told you how much I love horses?” Drew asked.

“No, you haven’t. You could tell us while you help me make dinner,” Blair said as he walked into the kitchen and the kids all swarmed around him and they talked about their weekend away. Jim felt very left out, but also knew that it was something they would all love and they would be happy for ages.

Jim went in and decided to do laundry while they were all busy in the kitchen. It took Blair about an hour to realize that Jim wasn’t with them anymore. He felt horrible about that. He heard the washer going and knew that Jim had found something to do away from them. Blair never wanted to push Jim away from him and the kids.

“Hey Jim, come and tell everyone how good you are at riding horses,” Blair called out.

Jim walked in and said, “I used to ride a little.”

“Somehow I think there were awards or something,” Max teased.

“Only two, Max, only two.”

Everyone laughed but Sam. She never seemed to get the jokes and she was tired of it.

“Only two what, daddy?”

“I won two awards for horse riding. I was quite good at it. I loved horses and my dad made sure that I had the best teachers to keep me on top of it. It was fun. You kids are going to love this weekend. Probably more then you’ve loved anything in your life.” Jim smiled at all of them and just leaned on the bar.

“Nah, I think the best thing we’ve ever done is go camping together as a family,” Drew said.

“No, I think the best time was in California with Disneyland, don’t you think, Sam?” Max asked.

“Oh yes, I loved Disneyland. I love being with all of you. I had a good time at Uncle Rucker and Auntie Andy’s house too, but I missed poppy and daddy too much.”

“We all did, Sam,” Drew agreed.

“We’ve done a lot of fun things since you’ve come into our lives haven’t we?” Jim asked.

Blair looked at Jim and said, “Duh.”

They all laughed, including Sam this time.

!!!!!!!!!!

Jim helped Blair pack the kids up and get them in the car at 5:30 in the morning. Blair kept kissing him and telling him how much he’d miss him. Jim knew that Blair was suffering guilt, but also wanted to have fun. Jim let him down easily.

“I’m going to help Simon build an addition to his patio this weekend when we’re not working at the station. Doesn’t that sound fun?”

Sam looked up at her dad and said, “Not really daddy.”

Jim kissed her and buckled her up in the car seat for her ride to the ranch. He looked at Blair and said, “You did leave the number and all of that right?”

“Of course I did, you nut. Like I would leave without telling where we’d be. Have fun with Simon. I’ll see you Sunday night,” Blair said as he pulled Jim down for the last kiss he’d have for the weekend. Blair made sure it was a good one.

Jim pulled away and said, “I hate you.”

“You do not.” Blair smiled as he got in and got behind the wheel.

Jim hugged both of the boys and told them to have fun and then slammed all of the doors shut. Blair drove off with a carload of happy children.

!!!!!!!!!!

When they arrived Max said, “Wow, this is some ranch.”

“Yeah, it’s much bigger then I thought it was going to be too,” Blair added.

Sam said, “Oh poppy, look at the horses. They’re over there. They’re beautiful.”

They all looked and saw what she was talking about. There were tons of horses. Blair didn’t even know if he could count quickly enough to know how many there were. He pulled up to one of the large bunk houses and out walked Dave grinning.

Blair and the kids got out of the SUV and walked over towards Dave.

“Blair, it’s good to see you.” Dave grabbed Blair and hugged him like crazy. Max and Drew were on alert right away. It was more hug then friends would have given. So they were going to watch this man. Pop was just happy to be there and he liked everyone, but Max and Drew knew how things were sometimes. They looked at each other and just knew.

Blair introduced the children to Dave and Max and Drew weren’t all that friendly but Dave didn’t seem to care. Blair wondered what he had missed.

!!!!!!!!!!

As the day wore on, the boys and Sam all got riding lessons and they were doing exceptionally well. Dave was very pleased with all of them. He said, “Max, you want to go riding with me?”

“No thank you.” Max offered no explanation or anything.

“Max, you’re being rude,” Blair stated.

“Blair, it’s all right. Not everyone likes me. As long as you like me, I don’t care.”

Blair looked at Max and Drew and was pissed. “You boys will go riding with Dave and I’ll stay and ride here with Samantha. Now you go and have a good time.”

About four hours later, they came into the bunkhouse pissed off and slammed the door. Blair looked at both of them and said, “All right, what’s going on?”

“He wants you. I can’t believe you don’t see it. He told us to stay out of his way. He’ll just say he didn’t say it, but he did. He wants you and not with us kids,” Max explained.

Blair stormed out the door and found Dave and said, “What did you expect to happen this weekend?”

“I was hoping that we would have a little time to ourselves, but not with those shitting kids looking out for you all the time. Blair, they’re like watch dogs.”

“Excuse me did you just call my children, shitting kids? Fuck you, Dave and the horse you rode in on,” Blair shouted as he went to collect his children.

“Come on kids, it’s time to go,” Blair ordered.

They all helped pack and didn’t ask any questions. Then they left without even saying goodbye, shit on you or fuck you. They had all wanted to say these things, but they just left.

!!!!!!!!!!

“So, Jim, you’re miserable, I take it?” Simon asked as they were sawing some wood for the patio cover.

“Yeah, that guy has a thing for Blair, but I knew if I made a big thing about it, he’d throw a fit. So I let him go. Now my imagination is running wild,” Jim answered.

“So why don’t you call him?” Simon wondered.

“He’ll think I was checking on him. It’s time I trust him and just stop being such a shit.”

“What would you do if he was here right now?” Simon asked smiling.

“I’d want to fuck him like crazy to show him who he belonged to. But can’t do that with kids,” Jim replied.

“Well, he just drove up. Maybe the kids would like to stay and help me work on this,” Simon suggested.

“Don’t be silly, I’ll stay and so will Blair. Max can drive everyone else home. Why do you suppose they’re here?” Jim said.

“I guess you could do something weird like ask him.” Simon shoved Jim to the front door and Jim opened it and hugged Blair fiercely.

“What’s going on, Chief?”

“Jim, he was such an ass. The kids even knew it before I did. So we left. We had a good time for a little while, but he was such a jerk, I knew I couldn’t stay and he didn’t want the kids without me.”

“I knew he wanted you, but I had to trust you and trust you I did. And see, it worked out. Did you sock him in the mouth?” Jim asked smiling.

“No, there was no violence. I just told him off and left. He was such a jerk. He was just as stupid as when we were younger. God, I had forgotten how much I disliked him in college,” Blair said this as he laughed, because until that moment he didn’t realize that he hated him that much.

“Would you like to help me work on Simon’s patio?” Jim asked hopefully.

“I would love nothing more. Max, do you want to take everyone home and I’ll ride with dad?” Blair asked.

“Sure, pop. We’ll unpack and everything. Thanks for believing in us, pop.”

“Always, Max, you’re my family.”

The kids left and Blair and Jim helped Simon finish his patio cover and it looked terrific. When they were done, Jim said, “I need to go home and take a shower. Would you like to join me?”

“Oh for crying out loud,” Simon said sounding disgusted, but he was laughing.

Blair and Jim drove home and Jim kept holding Blair’s hand the entire way. Jim was very glad that he had decided to trust Blair for a change. It worked out well and Jim felt like he was going to get very lucky in the shower.

The end

Family Life Part 79
Disney on Ice
by Patt

Word Count: 1,792

Summary: Sam is going to be seeing Disney on Ice for the first time and the boys will find out its fun for any age.

Notes: Thank you to Helena for the idea. I was lost for something uplifting and fun. This ought to do the trick. Thank you, sweetie. 

PattRose1@aol.com

Blair came walking into the loft bouncing with excitement and got Jim’s attention right away. “What’s going on, Chief?”

“Where are the kids?”

“They’re upstairs playing Wii. Do you want them down here?” Jim asked.

“Yes, could you have them come down stairs, I have something important to share with all of you,” Blair said.

Jim went upstairs to get the kids and they all came running down the stairs before Jim.

“Hey, pop,” Drew said happily.

“Yeah, how are you doing, pop?” Max asked.

“Hi poppy. Daddy said you have good news for us. What’s the good news? I love good news,” Sam assured everyone.

“Sit down everyone, I have some news for you,” Blair began.

Everyone hurried and sat down and waited anxiously for the news.

“I just got done standing in line at Ticket Masters for two hours for the hard to get and very expensive Disney on Ice tickets. It’s going to be at Cascade Arena in three days. I got excellent seats for all of us and it’s going to be a blast. You wait and see.”

“For Sam, right?” Max asked.

“No, for all of us. I picked them up for William and his family too. We’re all going. It’s going to be fun. I promise,” Blair assured them all.

Jim didn’t look too thrilled either. “Chief, have you ever been to a Disney on Ice show?”

“No, but I’ve always wanted to. And I wanted it to be a huge family affair. This is just what we need to do this weekend.”

Max said, “Pop, do we have to go?”

“Yes, we all have to go. It’s a family thing, if we don’t all go, it’s no longer a family thing anymore. Buck up little campers, this is going to be a great time for all.”

Max and Drew walked away and started up the stairs to their room. Jim stopped them and said, “Boys, do you have anything to say to your pop for getting these tickets?”

“Oh gee, thanks, pop. We’ll be thrilled to death to go,” Drew said very sarcastically.

“We are going, so just tune down the attitudes. Remember that Sam wants to actually go,” Blair said.

“Poppy, what is Disney on Ice?”

“Sam it’s all sorts of Disney characters all wearing ice skates and they skate to music to make us feel good. It’s a lot of fun, I’ve heard,” Blair said happily.

“It sounds like fun to me. I can’t wait. How many days, poppy?”

“Just three, Samantha. So go ahead and finish playing Wii with your brothers if you’d like. I’m going to start dinner,” Blair said.

“Okay, see you later, alligator,” Sam called out as she raced for the stairs.

“After a while, Crocodile,” Jim called out.

Sam stopped on the stairs and said, “Oh daddy that’s very cute. Did you just learn it?”

Jim and Blair started laughing and Jim said, “Yes, I just learned it.”

“I can’t wait until I tell Drew and Max.” Sam raced up the stairs happy to tell her brothers what daddy had just learned.

!!!!!!!!!!

Blair was cooking dinner and Jim walked in and said, “Is it safe to ask a question without you biting my head off?”

“Jim, I could have used a little back up tonight. You acted like them. You don’t care if you go or not. It just bothered me.”

“Blair, I’ve never been to one, so I guess it didn’t sound that fun to me. But I’m with you on this. This is family time and family outing. We’re going to do this and enjoy the hell out of it, right?”

Blair kissed Jim and said, “Thank you. Now if you could just convince the boys we’d have it made.”

They finished preparing dinner and called the kids down to join them.

During dinner Jim brought up the Disney on Ice three times and made it sound like a lot of fun. Then he realized he hadn’t tried one thing. “Boys, have you went to Google and looked up pictures for Disney on Ice yet? You’ll be able to see all of the pretty young women in the skimpy skating costumes that you’ll get to stare at all night long. Did you think of that?”

“Could we be excused?” Max said quickly.

Blair almost laughed as he said, “Sure, have fun.”

The boys took off to see the costumes with a Samantha following close behind. She didn’t want to get left out of the excitement.

Jim helped Blair clean up the kitchen and said, “The boys are calling Mike and Mark right now and giving them the url to look up the pictures. Just thank me now.”

Blair laughed and kissed Jim sweetly. “You’re the best. Thank you.”

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday came very quickly and Jim and Blair had Samantha dolled up for the affair. The boys wore casual jeans and tees, but Jim and Blair wore dockers and polo shirts. They all took their jackets of course, because it was an ice skating rink and would be cold.

Willliam, Sarah and the kids met them at the front door and Blair gave them their tickets.

“Can us guys sit all by ourselves?” Max asked.

“As long as it’s in the same area where we can see you. Like two rows below us would be good. Or two rows above us would be good. Take your pick, you’re not sitting wherever you want to,” Jim stated.

“We’ll take the two rows above, thanks, dad.” Drew said.

They all walked in and were instantly transported into Disneyland. It was so bright, cheerful and fun. Sam and Mary were having a blast just looking at things. All of the kids asked for souvenirs and they got them before they went to their seats.

Jim, Blair and Sam picked a row and William, Sarah and Mary joined them in that same row. The boys chose a row right above them, three rows up. Jim looked to be sure that he could see them and then he walked up and gave all of them money for goodies when the vendors came around during the show.

They sat there for all of ten minutes and the show started. The lighting was beautiful. It made the ice look like it was in different colors. Jim and Blair were already having a good time.

The first group of skaters came out and there was Peter Pan, Tinkerbelle, different fairies and a bunch of colorful characters from Peter Pan. Sam and Mary were sitting on laps so they could see better. Blair had Mary and Jim had Sam. Blair looked up to see if the boys were even paying attention and they were. They were clapping just like everyone else was. Blair was thrilled.

[[[disney.jpg]]]

They saw Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, the Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Finding Nemo, Goofy, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and a bunch of other characters. The show seemed to go on forever and ever. They even had a few breaks to clean the ice up and then they would start again. Jim kept looking up and saw the boys smiling and talking amongst themselves and new that Blair had made a wise choice.

Every time the vendors went up above them, they were called to where the boys were. Jim figured he wasn’t getting any money back from this.

Jim and Blair visited with Sarah and William during the breaks and the girls just had a ball with their souvenirs. All in all, it was turning out to be a wonderful time for everyone. Even William loved it.

Blair noticed that the person that seemed to enjoy it the most was Jim. He smiled during the entire thing. Blair knew that he had made a good choice, but now he’d be able to rub it into Jim’s face. Oh yes, this was going to be a good time. Blair just smiled and smiled and smiled.

The show ended up being four hours long, so when they left the girls were ready for bed. Jim knew that Sam and Mary would be asleep in their car seats in nothing flat.

As they walked out Sam started to get upset. She said, “Daddy, can’t we stay longer and see them all again?”

Blair just beamed with joy. He was so thrilled that she liked it. Jim smiled at her and said, “Next year we’ll come again, okay?”

“Okay, but I don’t like that we can’t come next week instead,” Sam ranted.

William started laughing and then Mary started to complain about it. They ended up laughing like fools at the girls.

They all got into the car and began their drive home. It wasn’t five minutes and Sam was sleeping like a log in her seat.

Blair smiled at all of them. “So did you end up having an okay time, boys?”

“Heck yes, some of those girls were really pretty. And the little outfits they wore were cute. Didn’t you guy think?” Max asked.

“Oh yeah, I thought all of the young girls looked really cute,” Jim replied almost laughing.

“What did you think, Drew?” Blair asked.

“It could have been a little longer, I think. We had a blast. Thank you for letting us sit where we did. There were some other older kids up there too and we were talking with them. But mostly we were checking out the cute girls on ice,” Drew said.

“If it would have been any longer, I would have been bankrupt. I gave you guys a lot of money and you spent it all,” Jim said.

“But we had fun, does that help dad?” Max answered.

“Yes, it does help. It just goes to prove that sometimes you can go to something and think it will be boring and find out its fun. I’m glad you boys gave it a chance,” Blair said.

“Thanks for getting the tickets, pop. We did have a good time. So did Mark and Mike,” Drew confessed.

The rest of the drive home was pretty quiet. The boys talked in the back seat about which girl looked the cutest in their costume and Jim and Blair just snickered from time to time.

It had been an excellent night. Family nights really were fun.

The end

Family Life Part 80
Searching
By Patt

Word Count: 3959

Summary: What happens with Jim and Blair after spending two days on an Amber Alert?

Notes: Thank you to Bee for this idea.

Jim and Blair got back to the station after finding a criminal that they had been looking for. They had searched for two weeks and finally got their man. Jim was thrilled, Blair was happy too, but he knew he would be doing most of the paperwork and that didn’t thrill him at all.

They were both sitting at their desk when the phone call came in. An Amber Alert. None of the detectives liked any child missing, but this meant one was. They were on alert too. Jim called his dad first thing and asked if the kids could stay with them until they were off the Amber Alert. They would be working non-stop trying to find this child. Of course William understood and told them not to worry.

Jim and Blair went into Simon’s office and asked where they were needed. “Jim, I want you at their house to see if you can find anything out of the ordinary. We need to find this five year old fast. The mother said she was in her room and then she wasn’t. We need to find out what happened. You and Sandburg will be staying at the house for the time being, checking everything out. Here is the address, their names are Melissa and Stuart Bale. The little five year old is Taylor Bale. Let’s find her,” Simon ordered.

“We’re on it sir,” Jim took the paper with the address and he and Blair walked out of the office.

They went downstairs to get into their SUV and head over to the house when Rafe came up to them and said, “Did you know that this little girl goes to the same school as Samantha?”

“No, I didn’t recognize the address. I was going to put it in my GPS. She must live close to us then. That scares the fuck out of me,” Jim confessed.

Blair said, “Let’s see what’s going on first before we have this child abducted or worse. We’ll see you later, Rafe. Are you going to the Bale house?”

“No, we’re going to be searching the area around the school and the mall. We’ll see you later. Call if you need any help,” Rafe said as he walked away.

The men got into the SUV and Jim drove off. Blair programmed the GPS so that they would know exactly where that house was. It was about five blocks east of their home. This didn’t make either of the men feel any better.

They drove up to the Bale home and got out. Jim rang the doorbell and saw the wild eyed woman that answered and knew this was Mrs. Bale. “Hello, I’m Detective Jim Ellison and this is my partner Blair Sandburg. We’re going to be staying at your house, looking for clues and asking questions of you and your family members. Where would you like us to set up shop?”

“Detective, I’d rather have you out looking for her, then staying here. Can’t you do that for me?” Melissa Bale pleaded.

Blair said, “There are many officers out looking for her, ma’am. We need to do this right now while everything is fresh in everyone’s mind. Is your husband home?”

“Yes, he came home an hour ago. I called him when Taylor was missing. Come in and you can set up shop in the dining room if you need to. I still don’t see what you’ll be doing here,” Melissa said.

“We have to question everyone that lives in this house and we need to look at all of the evidence or lack of evidence in the home. It’s important that we get it done soon,” Jim explained.

“Well, there is just my husband and myself. Taylor is our only child. We have no family to speak of, so there aren’t many people to ask questions of,” Melissa said.

“We need to see her room first thing,” Blair said.

They noticed that the FBI was already there setting up shop for ransom calls. Jim hoped it was something as simple as that, but this family didn’t seem to have a lot of money, so he was less then hopeful.

Melissa took them to Taylor’s room and opened the door. Jim said, “We need to be in the room alone for a while to check everything out. Has someone already fingerprinted the room?”

“Yes, the officers that came took fingerprints off of every surface they could find. We’re hoping they don’t find anyone that doesn’t belong,” Melissa added.

Jim and Blair shut the door behind them when they went into the room. “Okay, Jim, I need you to focus hardcore. We need to see if you can pick up a scent of her in the room and then any other scents.”

Jim picked up a stuffed animal on her bed and sniffed it. He had her scent immediately. “She smells just like a normal clean, healthy five year old.”

“Now keep that scent in your mind and see if you can smell any scent that doesn’t belong in the room. I know it’s going to be hard because there were cops here taking fingerprints, so our job is twice as hard.”

Jim sniffed the air and then walked over to the window in the room. He opened it up and sniffed the air there. “There was someone outside the window that was also inside the room, I can smell him in both places. That wouldn’t have been a cop, I don’t think.”

“Should we call the dogs?” Blair wondered.

“We have to have a reason for calling the dogs. Maybe I could say I smelled aftershave in the room and outside the window. Do you think they would buy that?” Jim asked.

“Call the FBI guys in here and see if they’re interested,” Blair suggested.

Jim called them in and told him what he had found and they were very interested. They called for the dogs and the hunt was on.

When the dogs finally got there, Jim gave them a pillow with the man’s scent on it and then they smelled it outside the window. The FBI agent, named Cooper, said, “I guess you were right. The dogs are going crazy out there. Maybe we’ll find her quickly.”

Jim said, “I hope so.”

The officers with the dogs were out looking and before long, Jim and Blair decided that they needed to ask questions from the parents.

They walked into the kitchen, found Mr. and Mrs. Bale and Jim asked, “Would now be all right to ask some questions?”

“Why aren’t you out there looking for my daughter?” Mr. Bale said.

“Mr. Bale, we’re doing our job in here right now. We did find something in her room that helped with the dogs, so at least we have a scent to go on. Please stay calm and answer all questions that we need to get done with,” Blair explained.

“My name is Stuart. Please call me that. What are you names?”

“My name is Jim Ellison and this is Blair Sandburg. Can we sit down at the table and talk?”

Mrs. Bale said, “Call me Melissa. Ask your questions.”

“Melissa, have you noticed anyone odd hanging around the neighborhood lately?” Blair asked.

“No, but I wasn’t looking either. I’m not the most observant person in the world. I’m so sorry, Stuart. I should have watched her closer,” Melissa said as she started to cry.

Stuart held her in his arms and said, “I haven’t noticed anyone odd around the neighborhood. But like my wife, I wasn’t looking, either.”

“Are there any teens that have hung around your house at any time?” Jim asked.

“No, we have only had one little girl over since we moved in. We’ve only been here six months. She was going to have a little girl named Samantha over as soon as her parents met us. But we hadn’t had time to contact the parents. She seems like such a nice little girl,” Melissa said.

Jim pulled his wallet out and showed them Sam’s picture and said, “Is this the little girl?”

Both of the parents looked and Melissa said, “Why do you have a picture of Samantha in your wallet?”

“She is our daughter. I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet,” Jim said.

“Do you think someone took our daughter against her will?” Stuart asked.

“We don’t think anything yet. We don’t like to guess, we only like to have hard evidence. Before I forget, Melissa, why was Taylor home from school today?”

“She had a stomach ache, so I kept her home. She said she felt better after a small lunch, but I didn’t want to chance it. I should have taken her to school. At least she would have been safe there,” Melissa said sadly.

Jim asked if he could have a glass of water and Stuart got it for him. “Were you at work all day, Stuart?”

“Yes, I only came home when Melissa called me to tell me that Taylor was missing. Do you have to ask us that? I would never hurt my child. Neither would Melissa. Isn’t there something else we could be doing?” Stuart asked.

“We’re doing what’s most important right now and yes, we have to ask these questions, because sometimes the parents know more then they think they do. We’re just doing our jobs,” Blair said.

“Do you have a lot of family in town,” Jim asked.

“My parents live about a mile from here, but Melissa’s parents live in another city. We have no siblings. Neither of us do. Do you need to see my parents?” Stuart asked.

Jim thought a moment and said, “Yes, could you call them over to the house. We’d like to talk to them and ask them questions too.”

Stuart pulled out his cell phone and called his folks. He asked them to come to the house and got off the phone. “They’ll be here in a few moments. Mom was shocked.”

“You didn’t call and tell them?” Blair asked.

“Honestly, I didn’t think to call hardly anyone. Besides we don’t have too much to do with Stuart’s parents,” Melissa answered.

“Is there a reason you don’t have much to do with them?” Blair asked.

“They don’t like me much, so Stuart doesn’t see them but maybe once every six months. They’ve never paid much attention to Taylor. So I really don’t think they’ll be able to help you at all,” Melissa said.

The officers with the dogs came back very discouraged. They lost the scent and they would have to start over again. They were all out in the front yard when Stuart’s parents arrived. The dogs started going crazy and the cops brought Stuart’s dad into the house to be questioned. The dogs were going crazy around him.

Jim said, “Were you at the house today?”

Mr. Bale said, “No, I haven’t been here in six months, easily. Why would you be asking me this?”

Jim sighed and said, “Sir, the dogs picked up your scent. I smell the aftershave that you’re wearing in Taylor’s room. It wouldn’t have stayed there six months. Why don’t you tell us where she is?”

“Dad, do you know something?” Stuart asked.

“Of course I don’t. This officer needs his head examined. Now I’m going home, I don’t need this crap,” Mr. Bale said hatefully.

“Oh my god, you did something to Taylor, didn’t you?” Melissa asked.

“Get a grip, Melissa. I don’t want anymore to do with her then I do with you,” Mr. Bale said as he started for the door.

Blair said, “You won’t be going anywhere just yet, sir. We need to find out where you were today.”

“Why?” The older Bale answered.

“We need to get an idea of what you did today,” Blair said calmly.

It was already dark and Jim knew this was a bad sign. They needed to find this little girl soon.

“So Mr. Bale, do you want to tell us where you were today?” Jim asked.

“I was home all day long, ask my wife,” the angry man replied.

“Honey, I was gone for four hours today, remember. So I don’t know where you were,” Mrs. Bale answered.

“Where were you?” Jim asked.

“I was playing Pinochle with friends of mine. We meet every week. I’m always gone at that time.”

“So Mr. Bale, you don’t have anyone to say you were home for those four hours?” Blair asked.

“This is ridiculous. I was home, alone maybe, but still home. I’m Stuart’s father for Christ’s sake. Now if you don’t mind, we’re going to leave now,” Mr. Bale said.

“You won’t be going anywhere until we find out a few more things,” Blair said.

“You can’t force me to stay here. I have rights,” Mr. Bale answered.

“Yes, you do, but until we get all of our questions answered you’re in the middle of an ongoing investigation. Take a seat, you’re going to be here for a while,” Jim ordered.

Both of Stuart’s parents sat down and waited for more questions.

Blair asked, “Melissa, did anyone call today?”

Melissa thought and said, “Only Stuart’s dad. Henry called at noon and asked me why I didn’t have my flag out as I usually do. I told him that Taylor was ill and I hadn’t had a chance. Then once I got things settled in the house, I put the flag up and that was that.”

“Dad, do you know where she is?” Stuart asked, horrified.

“Of course I don’t know where she is. I only called because I wondered why she hadn’t put the flag up,” Henry Bale answered.

“Her name is Melissa, dad. She has a fucking name. I know you have something to do with this. I can feel it. Where is she?” Stuart shouted.

“Henry’s wife stood up and said, “Stuart don’t be ridiculous, your father doesn’t know where your child is at.”

“Mom, her name is Taylor. He would lie and you would swear to it. Jim, I think he has something to do with it. I just don’t know what,” Stuart said sadly.

Jim turned to Henry and said, “Would you like to take a polygraph test tonight?”

“I most certainly would not. I know my rights. I’ve answered all of your questions and I’m leaving,” Henry spat out.

“Jim?” Stuart pleaded.

“Sir, my partner and I are going to take you in for questioning. Your son seems to think you might have something to do with it. I do too. So you’ll go with us and you can call your lawyer from there,” Jim said as calmly as he could. He knew this was the man that took the little girl. He just didn’t know why.

Jim and Blair left the Bale house with Henry Bale in hand. They put him in the back seat of the SUV and the man bitched the entire way to the station. Jim hated this man. His grandchild was missing and he didn’t give a flying fuck.

Once they got to the station, they put Henry Bale in an interrogation room and shut the door.

“Jim, what’s the plan?” Blair asked.

“I don’t have a fucking plan. He’s not going to tell us anything. He knows he has nothing to lose. He knew she was home today. His aftershave was in the house, even though he hadn’t been in the house for six months and his wife didn’t know where he was for four hours. But we can’t build a case on the scent of aftershave. We have to have something more conclusive. Do you have any ideas?”

“Why don’t we find out more about him? We need to know if he has any storage unit’s in town or if he has any rental property and then go from there. We can hold him for 48 hours on suspicion. So let’s get busy and find something we can use,”

Jim looked at his watch and saw it was ten o’clock. He called William really fast and heard, “Ellison.”

“Hi dad, is everything all right at our house?”

“Yes, Jimmy, everything is fine. You just find that little girl and don’t worry about the kids. I’m staying at your house until you get home.”

“Thank you, dad. That will help us a lot. Talk to you later,” Jim said before he hung up the phone.

Blair got off the phone and said, “He has a rental house one mile from where they live. I just asked Stuart and he told me. He said he also has a storage unit but Stuart doesn’t know where it’s at.

Jim walked into the interrogation room followed by Blair and they both sat down opposite the man that they both knew had something to do with it.

“We need to find out where your storage unit is. Do you want to give us this information now or wait until we get our hands on it tomorrow morning? It would help if you just cooperated with us. We’re also going to check out the rental house you have.” Jim watched the man get pale when he talked about the rental house, so Jim knew it had something to do with that.

Jim got up and left the room. Blair said, “Are you sure you don’t want to tell us anything?”

“I’m still waiting for my lawyer. Until then, stay away from me,” Henry Bale said hatefully.

Jim got out and sent Rafe and Brown to the address of the rental house and said to call if they found anything out of the ordinary. They took Joel and Connor with them.

“Jim, he wouldn’t be stupid enough to keep his grandchild at a rental house would he?” Blair wondered aloud.

“Chief, it’s been 9 hours and no one has seen or heard anything. We have to start somewhere.”

“Do you think you can get anything out of him?” Blair asked.

“Not without beating the shit out of him. I know he has her, I just don’t know why.”

They both sat down at their desks and waited for a call from Brown, Rafe, Joel or Connor. They didn’t have to long to wait.

Jim picked up his phone and barked, “Ellison.”

“Jim, we found the little girl. She’s dead. I called Dan to come over and give us a cause of death. But she’s here and someone has to tell those poor parents,” Connor said sadly.

“Are we sure it’s her?” Jim asked.

“We have the photo, Jim. It’s her.”

“Thanks, Connor. I’ll contact the FBI and inform them she’s been found. They’ll tell her parents and we can start to wrap this case up,” Jim said.

Jim got off the phone and looked like he was going to kill someone. Blair grabbed his arm and said, “Jim, I won’t raise our children alone because you want to kill him. Keep your head. We need a confession from him and a reason for all of this ugliness.”

“I’m not going to kill him. I’m letting him go to prison, where the inmates will take care of him,” Jim spat out.

“Did he sexually abuse her?” Blair asked.

“I don’t know. They just called Dan Wolfe. We’ll need to hear what he says first. But in the mean time, we can tell Mr. Henry Bale that he’s not going home when his lawyer gets there.”

Both men started for the room and Simon caught up to them. They filled Simon in on it and he went to the room with Jim and Blair. He wanted to be there to be sure that neither man killed this fucker.

Jim opened the door and all three walked in. Mr. Bale said, “Is my lawyer here yet?”

“No, he’s not, but guess who we found at your unrented, rental property?” Jim shouted.

“Who?” Bale had the nerve to ask.

“You know who. We found her and she’s being examined as we speak. So pretty soon your goose will be cooked,” Blair said hatefully.

“Anyone could have used my rental property. That means nothing to me,” Bale shouted back at the men.

“We’ll see what the Medical Examiner has to say. He might find evidence to link you to the crime. Either way, you’re going down, Bale. We know you did it, we just don’t know why,” Jim stated.

Bale just sat there looking out the window. “I hated her, you know?”

“Hated who, Bale?” Jim asked.

“Melissa. She was bad for my son. He could never get anywhere with her hanging around his neck. And the only reason they were married at all was because she was pregnant. The child didn’t look anything like our son. We never accepted either of them. Stuart was too nice about all of it. He gave up college and his life dreams for that whore. And the child was beginning to act more like her mother every time we did see them. I wish I could have killed Melissa. Now my son won’t have to stay with the bitch because of a child. He’s going to be free. It was worth it to me,” Mr. Henry Bale said coldly.

“We have read you your rights, you just made a confession. Do you want to write it down, just as you told us?” Blair asked, in shock.

“Why not? Any father would have done the same thing,” Bale said hatefully.

They watched him write up his confession, then they booked and processed him for the crime. Neither of the men said anything to the other one. They were both in shock.

Taylor Bale was only five years old and would never see her sixth birthday, all because her grandfather didn’t like her mother.

Blair saw Melissa and Stuart Bale come into the station and they stopped them. “We need you to stay at home. You can’t be here right now,” Jim said.

“I need to see my dad,” Stuart said.

“Melissa said, “It’s important that we see him. We have something to tell him.”

Jim took them back, against his better judgement and opened up the door.

“You lousy fucker, I can’t believe you took our little girl away just because you didn’t like Melissa and thought my life was over because of her. Well guess what? It didn’t work. We’re having a baby in six months. So we were planning our life. We had many plans. They just didn’t include you. I want you to know that I’m going to sue you for everything you have. May you rot in prison,” Stuart said as he turned and walked out of the room.

Jim caught up to them and said, “I’m so sorry about your daughter. No one should outlive their children. But you’ll make your next child aware of his big sister and that’s what’s important. If you need anything, please call us.”

They left the building and Blair said, “Do we want to stay and finish everything tonight?”

“Might as well. Dad is staying with the kids. I’d like to be home tomorrow when they get home from school. We need to hug our kids. God, I can’t believe this man killed her,” Jim said on the verge of tears.

“Come on man, let’s get this paperwork finished so we can go home in the morning,” Blair said as he led Jim to his desk.

Everyone in the bullpen was saddened by the news. Jim was very grateful that they still had their children and they were safe and sound.

The end

PattRose1@aol.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *