m i n o t a u r ' s

s e x   t i p s   f o r
s l a s h   w r i t e r s

jan 99

dec 98

nov 98

January, 1999

Kamil asks:

When a guy stimulates another guy's prostate with his fingers while going down on him, should the stimulation be gentle, firm, constant, or varied? Or, all of the above?

I've read, and written, most permutations of the above, but what do you find to be most erotic? Or, does this vary from one encounter to the other?

 

Dear Kamil,

I've have to say all of the above, or whatever makes him squirm the most. Personally I don't like fingers, they just aren't big enough. I want the real thing.. But in my experience with other guys, some like a gentle fingering, others like two or three applied with enthusiasm.

First contact should be gentle, as sudden sharp pressure on the gland can cause either immediate orgasm or sharp pain, depending on the circumstances.

Moonshadow asks:

Question: This is a question about identifying other gay men. The penalty for asking the wrong man for sex is pretty high - how does one gay man identify another? I mean what specifically does one look for?

 

Dear Moonshadow,

Actually there's a secret handshake. I could tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill you...

No, really, the hackneyed saw about "It takes one to know one" has a lot of truth to it. Once you've faced the truth about yourself and looked that deep into your own psyche, you can recognize the signs of this journey on other's faces. Something in the eyes, the tone of voice, subliminal body language, word choice, intonations, posture, all these things and more add up to set your "gaydar" blaring. Some of these things are cultural (there's a great website called "Eurotrash or Queer?") and based on our learned behaviors. Does he stand a little closer to you than straight men are supposed to? Hold eye contact a fraction of a second too long? Is he standing in a gay bar and playing with your nipples? (Though actually even this last isn't always 100% accurate)

There's also the "cruise". That elusive look in his eyes that says "Hi there. I want to tear your clothes off and fuck you till your head explodes..."

Basically, there is no *one* thing to look for (unless he's wearing pink triangle jewelry or a pin that says "100% Queer"). But once you know *how* to look, the signals are there.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it isn't an exact science. It's more a gestalt thing.

Valentin asks:

1)What is it (in gay porn) about white socks and construction boots, anyway?

2) If you could eliminate one misconception from all m/m slash everywhere, which one would it be?

 

Dear Valentin,

Well, you wouldn't wear *black* socks with construction boots, would you?

Construction boots are kinda the Marilyn-Monroe-high-heeled-come-fuck-me pumps of gay porn. They're one of those things that make a guy even more of a guy, like 501's or a big bank account. Besides, the costuming requirements of your average gay porn flick are pretty minimal, so a lot of the guys just wear their own clothes.

Secondly, it wouldn't be an actual sex act that I'd try to eliminate. It would be the unfortunate tendency of so many writers to ascribe female emotional reactions to male characters. Men and women have very different coping strategies, and ways of expressing their feelings. All humans have similar feelings, we just use different mechanisms to deal with them (which in guys often means not dealing with them at all).

Marmoset asks:

1. After anal intercourse, when the 'pitcher' pulls or slips out, does the 'catcher' feel a sense of loss?

2. During anal intercourse, does the 'catcher' derive emotional fulfillment from the sensation of being physically 'full' or 'filled.'

3. I've read stories in which the characters 'feel complete' as a result of being connected through anal penetration. Do you know whether this is a common experience? If so, do the men feel less 'complete' as a result of participating in other acts?

4. On Senad recently we've had a thread going about the quanities and force of ejaculate. I've read stories in which the characters' 'fountains' spew about a meter, splattering hair [the ejaculator's own], the copiousness impressive, to say the least. So the question: Can you say something about how one could be realistic when describing the quantities and trajectories of ejactulate?

5. And finally, can you discuss the taste of semen? I've read stories in which it is described as 'salty,' 'sweet,' or 'bleachy,' depending on the author. I would describe it as metallic. And a related question is ... is it true or folklore that what one eats affects the taste of semen? So if Sandburg and Ellison both drink beer ... their semen would taste ... bitter? Or what?

 

Dear Marmoset,

1. I don't know as I'd call it "loss", but you definitely feel emptier. Especially if it's been a good pounding.

2. Tricky question. As I've mentioned earlier, sex isn't always about emotion for men. Sometimes it's just fullfilling a physical craving. Though even then there's the emotional fullfillment of being wanted, of physical contact and of pleasure given and received.

If we're talking about sex inside an emotional relationship (like J/B), then yes, I suppose the catcher would get an emotional charge out of it. But it's not just the specific act of having a cock inside you, it's the whole shebang. Guys either like getting fucked and consider it a normal part of their sexual arsenal, or they don't like it and don't do it.

3. Ok, we're gettind into some deep issues here. Some people take sex more seriously than others, attaching a greater or lesser degree of importance to the act depending on their own phycholgical make-up. So for guys who are prone to this, and with the right partner, I can certainly see them feeling "complete" in this way. It also depends on how much importance they place on that particular act. For some of us it's something special, for others it's not. So if he places a high premium on getting fucked he might feel less connected or complete when only doing something else. But I don't think this is real common. Most guys are more casual about sex, especially gay men.

4. Semen production varies from man to man, and from time to time in each guy. Some guys cum gushers that hit the ceiling, others spurt out a few little dribbles. If he hasn't gotten off in a while, or the orgasm is especially intense, there'll be more and it'll fly further. But since bigger is better, all guys in porn/erotica/slash cum like gysers... Just another piece of literary license.

and 5. As for the flavor, it is slightly affected by outside factors. Cigarette smokers are more bitter, asparagus will impart a *really* nasty odor, and so on. Just like what we eat changes the way we smell (vegetarians sweat different than carnivores), only not as immediate or as strongly. But mostly it's based on each persons unique biochemistry.

Sarah asks:

I have a question - I thought KY was water-based. Am I wrong?

 

Dear Sarah,

That's the new KY (kinda like New Coke, or New Ray). The old stuff used to come in a little tube like Blistex and was petroleum based. For many years it was the lube of choice for gay men, enough to become like Xerox or Kleenex, a brand name that turned into a generic word for the product. Then came HIV and condoms and we couldn't use it anymore... so what does the company do? Come out with a water-based version. And they say we're invisible..

Mick asks:

"Until there was you..."

A lot of scenarios in slashfic revolve around the premise that the hero of the tale is resolutely heterosexual until he falls for his male roomie/partner/friend/enemy. Some fic will have our hero experience panic, denial, self doubt and recrimination, while in other cases he'll jump into a homosexual relationship head first and never look back. In your experience, which scenario is the more prevalent?

"And only you..."

Oftentimes, a subset of the "until there was you" fic is the part where the hero confirms to himself and to the reader that *only* his roomie/partner/friend/enemy engenders this change of feeling or awareness in him. How likely is this? How likely is he not to notice and/or respond to the charms of others once he's grown comfortable with and accustomed to the new feelings and sensations? (I'm not saying he'd cheat on the love of his life, but not to notice that, say, Rafe is a fine specimen of a man and idly wonder if you could make him sing out your name like a Broadway star aiming to be heard in the back row seems like a natural offshoot of this newly awakened sexuality.) Would the "only you" scenario be more prevalent with a man who has discovered this new direction in his sexuality later in life? Would he be more likely to fixate on the person who brought about this change in perception and attraction than would a person who has had some inkling earlier in life that he could be interested sexually in other men?

 

Dear Mick,

For the "First Guy" part of this scenario, I would definitly think the panic reaction would be more likely. Sexuality is such an integral part of the way we picture ourselves, and so much of a man's ego (and we all know about those...) is tied up in his prowess as a "male" (ie: how many women he's had, how virile and studly he is, etc., ad naseum) that this sort of basic alteration is unlikely to happen smoothly.

As for the "Only One" subset, I'd think the fixation on the one particular love object would be proportional to the amount of panic the hero had suffered. The more unflexible his self-image was, the more likely he'd be to alter it only enough to accept this one particular guy.

There's a fair amount of gay fiction with this theme as well, but in all my experience and among all my friends and aquaintences over the years I've only come across one case in real life. A buddy of mine fell in love with his straight best friend, who eventually came to reciprocate the feelings. They lived together as lovers for about 3 years (though the "straight" guy never did get comfortable with people knowing about them and would never take the receptive role in sex) before the relationship expired in one of the most spectacularly vulgar displays of childish recriminations and drama it's ever been my misfortune to witness.

I don't think either of these scenarios are terribly realistic, but we are writing "fiction" after all, so let's chalk this one up to "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" and leave it at that. To write slash at all we have to make some very basic assumptions about the characters, and pick and choose very carefully just what bits of canon we will use and which will be pitched out the nearest window.

Coming out is a traumatic and life-altering event. Even in the 90's, when it's *much* easier for teens to come out than it used to be, there are still people who either don't realize or don't accept their sexuality until their 20's, 30's or 40's. Perhaps they have had experiences and/or desires, but suppressed/repressed/denied their bisexuality/gayness. Then along comes the guy who is so insistantly *THE RIGHT ONE* that it becomes undeniable. The beloved, instead of being "the first and only", is rather a catalyst for the lover to realize/accept/express the feelings he has always had.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (and I'm sure someone will e-mail me the saw to cut it off), and say that the "first/only" scenario as so often seen in slash is more believable between women than men. Guys tend to be more linear about sexuality; you're either Straight or you're Not, and there's *very* little room in between. Among my women friends (and perhaps this is a non-representative sample, but it's all I have to go on) the definition seems more fluid, with lots more room for interpretation.

The mother of a good friend of mine, after two failed marriages, met the woman who has become her "life-partner" at the age of 56. She had never had a lesbian experience before then, and had never really thought she would. Then the "Right One" came into her life... and after a little panic and lots of processing, they moved in together, got married and adopted about a dozen cats.

Either way, we write about our guys out of love and because we want to see them together. There are as many different ways of getting them together as there are writers, and the true test isn't in the "reality" of the scenario, it's in the characterization.

Virginia asks:

Oh man, this is the *best* Minotaur. I've laughed my ass off reading your replies. I have a 'slash' question and a general attraction question. What position would you say is the most popular for anal sex and for what reasons? My second question; are gay men as hung up on haircolor as het? I have been by degrees curious, puzzled, and disgusted since my teens by the behavior/reactions of het men toward blond women. For no other apparent reason, blondes seem to always get the old 'double take'. (Nothing against blondes I'm just curious.) Thanks for the fantastic site!

 

Dear Virginia,

Thanks for the compliments, I hope you didn't hurt yourself... my insurance company would be very displeased with me if I caused a visitor any harm.

Regarding positions, I don't think there's one universally popular favorite. Everyone has their own personal preferences. I tend to like it face down, as I get leg cramps after a while in the missionary position. One of my exs' prefered being bent over a chair, another liked squatting or sitting on it best.

As for blondes, I'm going to tentatively say no, gay men aren't as hung up on them as straight guys are. I think it's because there's this idealized female sex-object (the Bimbo) who has been mostly represented as a blonde (and I'm not even going to get started on how men objectify sex or we'll be here all night). Among gay men the equivalent is "The Twink", who is not necessarily blond, but is young (in the 18-22 range) and slightly built but buffish. Think Backstreet Boys and you'll get a pretty good idea of what Twinks look like. So yes, we have a type that predominates the market, but no, it's not necessarily blonds.

Blarney stone asks,

When I first started writing slash and posting it to the Due South lists, a number of male readers thought that I was a guy because my stories tended to be a bit on the outrageous, humourous side instead of smoochie, kissy romantic stuff.

Do you think that women have a tendency to over-romanticize stories? Are we fatally infected with Harlequinitis?

 

Dear Blarney,

Harlequinitis is rarely fatal, though usually dibilitating and always annoying for the nearest and dearest of those afflicted. Luckily, it is a relatively easy condition to cure. The patient must simply be forced to watch "Love Story" for 48 consecutive hours while listening to Barbara Streisand's version of "People Who Need People". The only unfortunate side-affect of this treatment is a complete and total withdrawal from all reality. Spontaneous combustion has also been known to occur.

Creatch asks,

Lots of fiction that I've read has two guys coming by just rubbing their erections together between their bodies (no hands). How common is this in reality?

 

Dear Creatch,

This is actually known as "The Princeton Rub" and some guys find it very exciting. You can add a little lube or oil, or just do it dry, either way it can easily lead to orgasm. It's probably more common as a prelude to intercourse than as an end in itself.

Lady Rhian asks,

Question: I have a copy of the “Joy of Gay Sex”, published sometime in the late 70’s. What I’d like to know is, do real gay men actually use all those positions (the X, etc.)? Or is it all the writer wanting to show off?

 

Dear Lady Rhian,

Most guys aren't very adventurous and stick with the basics, doggie, missionary, bent-over, while others get athletic and experiment. Some of the more Kama Sutra postions are pretty rare... and I've never done the X or the Crab, but then again I have tried a couple that weren't listed in the book. Everybody has their own personal favorite, the one that feels most comfortable to them or gives the greatest pleasure and as we get older we get less flexible (both physically and metaphorically).

Starwinder asks,

I've used something that's not on your list as a lubricant in a couple of my stories and I'd like your opinion on the use of it. The item in question is soap. I know it will sting but the one it's used on likes a little pain with his pleasure and it is slippery and definitely clean. So, what do you think?

 

Dear Starwinder,

Soap's fine in a pinch, I've used it on occasion, but I wouldn't suggest using it on a regular basis. The lining of the rectal canal is actually fairly sensitive, and soap can dry and irritate it. It also doesn't stay slippery for long enough (at least not long enough for me....)

Cmshaw asks,

How quickly does an erect penis get hard, and how quickly does it soften after orgasm? (or, for that matter, if you don't have sex, what happens to it?)

 

Dear Cmshaw,

Dicks have minds of their own. Sometimes they pop up at the worst moment and get hard instantly, other times they just lie there sound asleep no matter how much you want to play. Some guys stay hard for a long time after orgasm, others go soft quite quickly. And if you don't have sex, it eventually goes away. Blue balls are just a myth made up by horny boys to get girls to put out.

Sarah asks,

Ok, not to give anything away here, but say a guy only has one arm, thanks to a bunch of Siberian peasants who were only trying to help. How feasable is it for him to put a condom on his partner using his mouth (and maybe his remaining hand)? Also, taking balance into consideration, which positions, besides missionary, do you think would be possible in this case? Top or bottom -- I haven't decided yet, but I'd like to get a little creative, if I can... Oh, one other thing -- how prevalent is biting in real life? Shoulders, nipples, inner thighs, asses, whatever... is it pretty common, or another (quite tasty) slash myth?

 

Dear Sarah,

Well, since you were so non-specific...

Despite the fact that safe sex educators do the "putting a condom on a bannana with your mouth" demonstration regularly, unless you're one of those people who can tie a knot in a cherry stem with your tongue, it's dammed near impossible to do in real life. Once you get it over the flare of the head, you can roll it the rest of the way down, but getting it to that point takes fingers.

Hmm, postions that are possible with only one arm.. I can't remember, was it cut off above or below the elbow? As either top or bottom he could do face down (either flat or butt-high), bent over a piece of furniture, standing and bent, sideways, sitting, squatting, in a sling, on a bus, with green eggs and ham... The only one that might not work is doggie-style, depending on where the arm ends.

Biting: Personally I love it. A little nibble here, a nip there, chewing on his neck... works for me. Most guys I've been with enjoy it to one degree or another, with some variation in how much pressure they can take. A few don't like it at all, but you can put it in, by all means without worrying that it's unrealistic.

Clare asks,

I've always found something exciting about having sex standing up with the two partners facing each other. My question is: is it possible? Would they just be jackhammering away? Could one enter the other, maybe with the support of a wall and the skills of a gymnast? Or is it too silly for words?

 

Dear Clare,

Standing up face-to-face doesn't allow for entry. You can do the Princeton Rub (just rubbing them together till you come) or Oxford style (interfemoral or between the thighs), but actual anal entry isn't possible.

Unles you're doing it in a doorway with a gymnast, in which case he can wrap his legs around your waist and support himself by pressing against the doorframe and hanging from the lintel. Then you can pound away to your heart's content, or until his arms get tired.

Wombat asks,

One word: nipples. Forgive me if you've covered this somewhere else, but do they tend to play a big part in gay sex? How sensitive are they in guys, or does it vary? In your experience, is it possible for a guy to come just by having his nipples played with? (and yes, I know I'm guilty of already having written this!)

 

Dear Wombat,

Nipples are like being ticklish. Some people are *real* sensitive, others might as well be made of marble. They don't really do much for me, despite having one pierced, but I once dated a guy who could be brought to orgasm just from nipple play. So pick a point somewhere along the spectrum, and write away.

Nichole asks,

Is it true that when having anal intercourse, it does not last as long as having vaginal intercourse? I've heard that because a rectum is tighter than a vagina, then it's over pretty quick. I would be inclined to say that it depends on the top's stamina, but I want to know what you think.

 

Dear Nichole,

You're right, it depends on the top. Some guys are wham-bam-thank-you-Sam, others last hours and hours and hours. If you're lucky enough to find one of the latter, grab him and hold on!

Polya asks,

In many slash stories involving anal sex, once the action is over and the penetrator's erection softens, it's "shoved out" by the other man's anal muscles. Given that you said (in response to Maryl's question) that you've woken in the morning with him still inside, I'm assuming this is incorrect, but I wanted to make sure. Is the slash convention completely wrong, or is it a matter of degree or the participants involved?

 

Dear Polya,

It's more a matter of how much you move around afterwards and how "experienced" (read: loose) the bottom is. I tend to sleep like the dead, and having been around the block a few times have developed a fair amount of control over the muscles involved.

If you've got a guy who isn't all that experienced, or is tense, his anal muscles will push the dick out once they're done. After all, that's what those muscles are used to doing. But if you're comfortable with your body you can control them.

Marmoset asks,

I'm mainly involved in the TS fandom, and have noticed that "first time" stories are very popular. But writing a first sexual encounter seems tricky, especially if you perceive the participants to have been previously inexperienced in m/m sex. What I want to know is what kinds of "awkwardnesses" are typical of 'first encounters'? What are the sorts of things that can go wrong when novices try anal intercourse for the first time?

 

Dear Marmoset,

The first time I had anal sex, I had to make him stop a bunch of times because the pressure on my bladder made me think I had to go to the bathroom... you get used to that pretty quick though. Other than that, it really depends on how relaxed and ready for it the bottom is. The less comfortable he is, the more problems can crop up. The worst is just being too tense to allow for entry. The occasional muscle cramp can also put a damper on things.. most guys aren't used to keeping their legs up in the air for very long.

Laura asks,

I am wanting to know if it is possible, pleasurable, or both, for this situation to occur. A man is doing a woman against a wall. Can another man come up behind him and enter him from behind while all three are in standing posistions at the wall? (What can I say...I'm weird and athletic.) Thanks for any and all help provided.

 

Dear Laura,

Weird? Nah. This position is actually a staple of bi-smut vids. The guy in the middle should be leaning over at least a little bit to make insertion easier, but otherwise it's very doable physically. Go for it.

Mornelith asks,

I know this is a stupid question, but do girls have a prostrate gland? And as part of that same question (in case the answer is no) I wanted to know if girls can also enjoy anal sex the way guys do?

 

Dear Mornelith,

Nope, girls don't get a prostate gland, sorry . It's one of those guys-only things (and there's nothing the Supreme Court can do about it, either). As for women enjoying receptive anal sex, I didn't think so until I started building this site. During my research I spoke with a number of women who have experienced it and enjoyed it immensely, including one for whom it is the activity preferred above all others. Since there is no prostate gland to be stimulated in women, the sensation must be different, but also pleasurable.

Little Alex asks,

Anal sex, on the receiving end, first time. How badly does it hurt? I've read being really painful with tons of blood to only very slight discomforts. So, what the truth?

 

Dear Little Alex,

Depends on how nervous the bottom is. My first time didn't hurt at all, it just gave me the feeling I had to take a leak (pressure on the bladder..). If he's unwilling, yeah, it could be *killer*, but if he's relaxed and comfortable, and most important, *not afraid*, it can be quite enjoyable.

Moonpuppy asks,

The latest convention (or bit) in stories has the aroused guy's dick getting heavy as something arouses him - the beginnings of an erection, I guess is what I'm saying.

Does your penis feel heavy when you start to get aroused? Or, for that matter, when you've got an erection? I mean, how realistic is this really?

 

Dear Moonpuppy,

Yep. Normally it just sort of hangs there, not really doing anything. As you get aroused and blood starts to fill it up, it gets heavier, more sensative, and you become more aware of it. If you're naked, you can feel it begin to swing, and hang lower. If you're dressed, your pants get tighter, more confining. Once it's fully hard, it holds itself up, but while it's getting there it definately feels heavier.

December, 1998

Julad asks:

Beats. Are you even familiar with the word? I have asked a few American friends and they don't know it. I just got asked, "As in beets, the vegetable?". *sigh* Here, there are specific places, mostly in the cities - public toilets, alleys, parks etc - which are known as beats. They are public, outdoor places where men go for quick, anonymous sex. It's not the same thing as glory holes, but there are sometimes glory holes at the beats. If that makes sense.

And would all Americans know about the baths? (We hardly have any here, so most Australians wouldn't have a clue.)

Okay, now I'm on a roll and I've remembered another question I had. Moving while joined. It's pretty do-able when the man's fucking a woman, but if he's fucking a man I'm guessing that moving the party, say, upstairs, would be a nightmare of awkward angles and pressure in all the wrong places. Even if the fuckee is smaller than the fucker. Am I right, wrong, and if it can be done, how? We are talking J/B here, so the fucker in my instance is probably strong enough to support the fuckee's weight in some fashion.

The 'male psyche' stuff I mentioned earlier was mainly a frustrated rant about the proliferation in slash of lovey-dovey, sweet, earnest, emotional discussions, and the burning question, "Are you fucking SERIOUS?!?" *grin*

Okay, I'll be nice. But I DO want to know if, in reality, men *think* nice loving thoughts but rarely say them, or if they rarely think them but say them whenever they have them, or if they don't ever think nice things at all, but say them sometimes just to get in the good books.

 

Dear Julad,

Ah, yes. We have these in the States as well. Certain area of public parks, stretches of isolated beaches, some rest stops on highways. Generically they don't really have a name, though you can find them listed in Damron's Gay Guide as "Cruising Areas". Each one usually has it's own name, like the area of the woods on Fire Island called "The Meat Rack", as in a place where the guys are displayed like cuts of beef to be picked off the shelf. San Francisco has Collingwood Park, near Castro, which is affectionately referred to as the "Fruit Loop" (a kind of kid's breakfast cereal in the States), New York's Central Park has "The Rambles", Provincetown has "The Dunes" and "The Reeds", while LA's Giffith Park is famous all by itself. If the site is a public restroom, it's called a "tearoom" (same as the British).

If you're going to use one in a story, it's probably best to give some description of the site and make up a name for it.

I'd say at least 90% of gay men know about baths and beats, and probably a majority of the "cool" population, but most 'danes wouldn't know them from a hole in the ground (which is kind of the point).

For the movement issue, if J&B were doing it missionary style, with Jim on top, he could conceivable pick Blair up and carry him somewhere else without too much trouble (except for a real possibility of severe back strain...). If they start out doggie style, or standing-up-bent-over (with either one as top) some movement, walking around, etc., isn't too hard. For major changes in location though, like from bedroom to kitchen floor, normally you'd disengage, move, and start again.

Now we're getting into some fairly sweeping issues, and keep in mind that the views expressed here are my opinions based on my experiences, and other people may have very different views.

Men are funny creatures. We're taught to be stinting in our praise, and reticent about our emotions. We certainly feel, and think, strongly about emotional issues, but we aren't really taught the tools to express them well. Most men (and do remember that this is a broad generalization, and there are certainly exceptions) won't openly express their feelings in flowery phrases (though occasionally quoting Shakespeare can win you *BIG* points). It's more in the little things, in how we say it. We're also expert in saying two things at the same time, sometimes expressing two completely opposite ideas in the same words.

Gay men are somewhat more forthcoming about their feelings, but not that much. We attain a certain amount of emotional freedom when we come out, but still carry a lot of the cultural baggage we were saddled with as boys.

When writing guys discussing emotional issues, or giving compliments, subtle is best.

Maygra asks:

1. How much lube is applied on average for anal sex (given variations of size and what have you.) Are we talking a quarter-sized dollop? Silver dollar? And I am asking about per penetration.

2. There is a fanfic convention I've used and seen often, during foreplay, where the round of one partner's knee is used to gently stimulate the other partner's genitals? (Either standing or laying down.) Workable or is it very unlikely?

 

Dear Maygra,

It isn't really a scientific measuring system, not like baking a cake. The usual method is to just sort of glop it on till it feels slippery, then shove it in. The bottom will definitely let you know if more is needed...

Actually, it depends on a lot of things, how big the top is, how experienced/eager the bottom is, if the condom is lubricated, if it's the first time or sloppy seconds, the brand of lube (if you're even using a commercial brand and not something grabbed out of the 'fridge), how slippery you like it, how concerned you are about the state of your sheets (many lubes will stain) and so on.

On average though, I'd say between a teaspoon and a tablespoonful will do the job.

For your second question, yes. I can see doing this (*very* gently...) while making out, but I think it's more a fic convention than a reality. I can't recall ever doing it myself, or having it done to me.

More realistic is for a guy to rub himself on whatever body part is available to him, kinda like a dog. Knees, thighs, elbows, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the pumping motion and the feel of something, anything rubbing up against your dick.

November, 1998

Derora asks:

OK, question on endearments. If you have two guys "in love," having sex, and maybe in a committed relationship, how likely are they to use romantic endearments, and how mushy might they be? "Lover" seems too functional, "baby" and "babe" seem a bit more realistic but not too loving, and "Honey," "Sweetie," "Sweetheart," and "Love" don't strike me as guy-type endearments. Any suggestions for endearments that seem to ring true?

 

Dear Derora,

Guys can be just as revoltingly squishy with endearments as gals. Baby, honey, snookums, shmoopy, lambchop, wriggle-bunny, boo-boy and huggy-bear are just a few of the things I've been called by one guy or another. Any couple will come up with stupid pet-names for each other after a while.

True, it's not common to use endearments with a guy you've just picked up. Unless, of course, you don't remember his name.

Gay men do use terms like 'sweetie' and 'honey' more casually than straight guys, especially among themselves, but it's no longer in that stereotypical lispy manner. It's just a verbal shorthand that can mean anything from "Hi" to "Fuck Off", depending on the intonation.

So use whatever names you use with your own honey, or pick something that you think is totally revolting.

Maryl asks:

1) Is it painful when your partner pulls out after anal sex? Some stories mention it, others don't.

2) Do guys even stay in their partners after anal sex to cuddle for awhile or do they pull out as soon as they are done?



Dear Maryl,

1) Usually it's just a minor twinge, not nearly as painful as initial entry, and if done slowly and with care may not hurt at all (especially if you've used lots of lube). It does make a funny popping noise though...

And 2) Depends on the position. Missionary style isn't good for this kind of cuddle, leg cramps are a real mood killer. Face down or sideways is much more likely. The feel of man just laying on top of you, filling you up and breathing gently in your ear as you both calm down... I've actually fallen asleep in this position, and woken up the next morning with him still inside.

K'kathy asks:

During the act of penetration, it is normal/usual for the bottom to lose his erection, if only temporarily? If so, is it due to pain or just a normal physiological response?



Dear K'kathy,

Depends on the guy. Some men loose their erections while getting fucked, some go to a sort of half-mast, others stay rock hard the whole time.

Erections are funny things. Some guys go up and down throughout an encounter, others get rock hard immediately and stay that way till (or even after) they come, others think ahead and spend their rent money on Viagra.

They are very in tune with our emotional/mental state, though they also have minds of their own. It's not uncommon for a guy to be totally turned on and into his partner, while his cock stays asleep. Or the opposite, where he's not into it at all, but his "little head" is wide awake and reading for action.

Fern asks:

Does an orgasm caused by prostrate stimulation cause ejaculation? I was informed that it was a 'different' type of orgasm.



Dear Fern,

It can. Orgasm purely by anal stimulation is more rare than a regular orgasm, and (in my experience) more intense. It doesn't always include ejaculation, and can happen more than once. I've only experienced it a couple of times, but when I did it was multiple times.. and blew my socks off. More common is the bottom jerking himself or being jerked off while getting fucked.

Some people don't even believe this kind of orgasm is possible, they just haven't found the right top yet.

Montserrat asks:

Anyway, I have three questions. The first one is more 'regular' simply wanting to know what do *you* think of us, the female slash writers? Do you sometimes shake your head at the fantasies /love scenes we describe, or maybe does it even turn you on? I'm just wondering....

My second question concerns the 'injury level' that could arise from anal sex. I've read many stories where they act quite rough, the bottom is sore the next morning, stuff like that. I'm also in the process of writing a story and I would like to know when it really happens that it comes to 'injuries', minor or major, what would be the best procedure to 'tend' them? What problems can occur?

Last but not least, what about hygienic issues? With all due respect (no offense intended!!!!!), anal intercourse takes place where people are usually reluctant to talk about. I once read an recommendation, for instance, that you should always use condoms, no matter if you're faithful to your partner, and also always use those 'first-aid' gloves when you penetrate your partner with your fingers. How's the reality?



Dear Montserrat,

First, I've talked about this at length with the few other male slash fans I've encountered, and the consensus seems to be that the good writers get it right, and the poor writers don't. Part of being an author is being able to put yourself into someone else's head. Torch springs instantly to mind. The one trend that most annoys/amazes/disturbs me is that of writing one character as the "wife", or feminizing him. Men and women have differing approaches to relationships (a fact which has been the basis of hundreds of romance novels). Some authors write male characters with female emotional responses.

As for the sex, frankly I don't read slash for the sex. If I want smut, I can walk down the road and rent a vid. I like slash for the insight into the characters, for the chance to see a character I like written so I can identify with them, for the chances slashers will take that TPTB would never dare. Some of the sex scenes I've read have gotten me hot and bothered, but mostly I just skim them. Men tend (this is a broad generalization, with no value judgment attached) to be more visually oriented, wanting to *see* what's going on.

Second, minor tearing can occur even with the most gentle of lovers. It's not unusual to clean up afterwards and find traces of blood. However, like most mucous membranes, the anal tissues heal very quickly and serious injury is rare. Usually no medical or first aid is required. Normally the bottom won't even be aware of it.

That feeling of "soreness" can actually be quite invigorating, although only in the more extreme occasions does it last till the next morning.

And lastly, (this seems to be a very popular question)yes, we're talking about an area of the body considered 'unclean', but cocks and vaginas are also used for similar purposes, but we aren't quite so uptight about them. With minimal hygiene the ass is definitely clean enough for an unprotected finger, dick or even tongue. Condom use is necessary for health issues, not hygienic ones.

Moonshadow asks:

What is the reason for enemas? I have read that it is for both cleanliness and aesthetic reasons. Assuming condom use would eliminate the first reason, is there really an aesthetic reason for them?

Dear Moonshadow

Yes there is. Shit stinks.

Seriously, simply using a condom doesn't eliminate the need for cleanliness. After the act, pulling out a brown stained condom is every bit as unpleasant as without. The aesthetic is to prevent unpleasant smells. It's also important to be clean if you want to get rimmed. Enemas aren't always needed, it depends on how full the bottom is. Some people like the feeling of being emptied out this way and make it a part of their pre-sex preparation ritual.

K'kathy asks;

Just what does being inside a rectum feel like? I've read it described as 'hot', 'tight', 'smooth', 'velvet', 'gripping', etc. Truth or literary license?

Can you feel muscles clench around your cock if the bottom squeezes? I've read this described as a moving cock ring.

How necessary is douching or an enema to each partner's pleasure? What's the pc term, anyway? Do most bottoms do this before anal intercourse?

Dear K'kathy,

1) Mostly true. The inside of a man is all of these, and more. Being inside a guy, looking down at his face as you slide gently in and out of him...his body willingly open to you. It's incredible.

2) Only the outer sphincter. There are muscles inside the rectal canal, for peristalsis, but they aren't strong enough to provide that kind of sensation. If the bottom is experienced and into it, he can squeeze that outer ring muscle to provoke a greater response from the top.

3)See above. Usually it's referred to as "douching" or an "enema".

Angela asks:

With anal sex how many times in one given evening can a normal healthy guy take it ? and the reverse -- how often can a guy give it to his partner?

 

Dear Angela,

Depends on the guy. An inexperienced or uptight guy might only be able to get fucked once in a night before he gets too sore. Someone with more experience or who is more comfortable could conceivably get fucked many many times. It also depends on the style. One fast hard fuck might be the limit, but slow and gently could be accommodated many times. My personal best is 8 times in one evening (well, it extended into the next day, but you know what I mean) before I had to call it quits.

As for the top; Most men slow down once they're past their teen years. Usually one load a night is the limit. Again, it depends on the guy. I've met men in their 40's who are capable of coming many times in a short period. Testosterone plays a large role in stamina and regeneration time. The more you have, the less time you have to rest between bouts. The most I've ever seen was 6 times in a row, with about five minutes "down" time between (and he was 32! A veritable rabbit). Richie(HL) could probably cum 4 or 5 times in an encounter, but Jim(tS) might only be good for one.

Marmoset asks:

Is it really true that when the 'bottom' is in the throes of orgasm, his internal (anal?) muscles contract around the 'top's' penis [during anal intercourse]?

So *many* fanfic writers include this little tidbit in their sex scenes that I started to wonder [as I always do].

Dear Marmoset,

Like the ubiquitous "simultaneous orgasm", this is a literary convention prevalent not just in slash but throughout gay erotica. The muscles involved in ejaculation aren't the same as those controlling the anal sphincter. When the bottom cums, the top doesn't actually feel it through his dick. Except, of course, for those times which include writhing, flailing and falling off the bed.

Similarly, the bottom being able to feel the "hot flood filling his guts" is also a myth. There are no nerves inside the anal canal, for one thing. For another, semen is actually slightly cooler than body temperature. Even I am guilty of using this, and while it may be poetic and romantic, it's doesn't really happen.

Oh well, they may not be true, but they do make for a better story.






b a c k   t o   c o r e




anal sex  /   anatomy  /   contact  /   culture  /   foreplay
introduction  /   kinky stuff  /   my slash  /   new
oral sex  /   other  /   questions & answers
recommendations  /   safety  /   verify



Built by minotaur
Best viewed with Netscape 3.0+
Last updated Fevruary 5, 1999