HOUSE FAN FICTION ARCHIVE

FAQs + Quicksearch + Search Engine + Upload + Random
+ Plagiarism Policy +


The FAQ

The purpose of this page is to answer some of the more general questions about House, fan fiction, and this website. If your question isn't answered here, please feel free to e-mail the archivist and ask.


For Readers
- Why is the search engine so complicated?
- How do I view all the stories in the archive?
- How do I sort my search results by author/title/category/date/size?
- What do all these categories and warnings mean?

For Writers
- There's a button on the Upload Interface that says it'll send a copy of my story to me. Why doesn't it work?
- What do I do if I'm not sure if my story is gen or pre-slash?
- I've revised an old story. Can I replace the old version, or do I have to upload a duplicate of the story?
- I've done something wrong with formatting/categorizing my story, but the Upload has been completed! Can it be fixed?
- I don't know the URL of the sequel/prequel to my story. Does it matter if I don't include it on the upload page?

Miscellaneous
- Where did the images used on this site come from?



For Readers

Why is the search form so complicated?
My goal when choose the archive software and designing the search engine was to make it as easy as possible for readers to find exactly what they were looking for in a story. There's a lot of variety in fan fiction, which means that we need a lot of categories so that people who really don't like certain kinds of fiction can avoid it, and so that people who really love certain kinds of fiction can find only that type of story.

The search engine is very versatile, but that also means there are a lot of options. I have received a few complaints that it is too complicated and/or confusing, but I promise you that this is the simplest and most intuitive search engine that I could find. The only way to make it easier to use would be to remove options. In my opinion, this kind of defeats the point of having a search engine in the first place.

If you don't care about some of the options offered, then don't select them. Not selecting things on the search engine won't stop it from working.

How do I view all the stories in the archive?
Go to the Search Engine and click "Submit" without changing anything. The engine will automatically return all archived stories sorted by author, starting with the A authors and ending with Z authors.

How do I sort my search results by author/title/category/date/size?
Go to the bottom of the Search Engine page and find the "Sort By" field. Choose your desired sort criteria (author, title, category, date, or size) from the drop down menu. Then choose "Ascending" or "Descending" from the "Sort Order" field.

Ascending author will list stories by author name in order from A to Z. Descending author will list stories by author name in order from Z to A.

Ascending title will list stories by title in order from A to Z. Descending title will list stories by title in order from Z to A.

Ascending category will list stories by category in order from A to Z. Descending categroy will list stories by category in order from Z to A. This field can be a bit confusing because there can be multiple categories. The engine uses the first one in the list to sort.

Ascending date will list stories by when they were archived in order from oldest to newest. Descending date will list stories by when they were archived in order from newest to oldest.

Ascending size will list stories by their file size in KB from smallest to largest. Descending size will list stories by their file size in KB from largest to smallest.

What do all these categories and warnings mean?
Click here for the definitions of all terms on the archive.



For Writers

There's a button on the Upload Interface that says it'll send a copy of my story to me. Why doesn't it work?
The archivist is a real newbie at cgi scripts and she hasn't figured out how to make that particular button work yet. Eventually, it will, but for the moment it doesn't.

What do I do if I'm not sure if my story is gen or pre-slash?
Categorization is ultimately up to the author, but if you want to get the largest number of readers to return your story on search results, I recommend selecting both gen and pre-slash in the categories and also adding the appropriate pairing. If you feel the need to clarify further, you can do so in your comments.

I've revised an old story. Can I replace the old version, or do I have to upload a duplicate of the story?
Users can't delete stories off the archive, but the archivist can. E-mail her and she'll take care of deleting the old story. Then you can upload the new one.

I've done something wrong with formatting/categorizing my story, but the Upload has been completed! Can it be fixed?
It can! E-mail the archivist with the problem you need fixed and she'll take care of it.

I don't know the URL of the sequel/prequel to my story. Does it matter if I don't include it on the upload page?
This hasn't come up yet, but I'm 99% sure it won't make a difference. However, be aware that if she finds the URL, the archivist may go in and add the sequel/prequel link to the archived story.


Miscellaneous

Where did the images used on this site come from?
Screen captures taken from episodes of House (see disclaimer below) appear here and there, but the anatomy illustrations were taken from Medical Anatomies on the Web and are in the public domain courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Specifically, they come from William Cheselden's Osteographia, or The anatomy of the bones and Bernhard Siegfried Albinus's Tabulae sceleti et musculorum corporis humani.


Legal Disclaimer The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Home.