FAQs + Quicksearch + Search Engine + Upload + Random
+ Plagiarism Policy +


The House Fan Fiction Archive Plagiarism Policy

If you have any questions about this policy, e-mail the archivist and ask.

Recently I've had reason to review and clarify the plagiarism policy for the House Fan Fiction Archive. When considering this policy, I have had to take into account the following points:

1) This is an unmoderated archive. That means that stories don't have to be approved prior to appearing. Once they're uploaded, they're public for everyone to access. I do not do any filtering at all.

2) I'm no longer active in House fandom and I haven't been for a long time. This means that I am not familiar with the stories that are being written or with the authors who are active in the fandom.

3) There are, very broadly speaking, two types of plagiarism:
(a) a story copied practically word for word, with pretty much only names changed, and
(b) unauthorized remixes, which use the plot line and important scenes of an existing story, but which are totally rewritten by the remixer.
Everyone condemns (a), but opinion is seriously, seriously divided on (b).

Taking these three points into account, the House Fan Fiction Archive Plagiarism Policy, established as of now, is this:

1) Allegations of plagiarism of either type should be made in private, via e-mail to the archivist.

2) When an allegation of plagiarism is made, it will be investigated by the archivist.

3) If the archivist is satisfied that an author has word-for-word plagiarized another authors story, the offending story will be removed, a notice about the offense will be posted to the front page of the archive (including story title and author name), and the author will be sent an e-mailed warning. If a second offense is committed or discovered (i.e., if I investigate and find that the offender has done this more than once), the author will be permanently banned from the archive and a notice about their offense circulated in the fan community via the archivist's contacts.

4) If the archivist is satisfied that an author has posted an unauthorized remix, the author of the original story will be notified, the author of the remixed story will be privately reminded that it is polite to seek permission for a remix, and the remixed story's summary will be adjusted to note that it is a remix, with the original story's title and author noted.


Legal Disclaimer The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Home.