FAQs + Quicksearch + Search Engine + Upload + Random
+ Plagiarism Policy +

Dr. Wilson Definitions of Terms

Terms found on the search engine and upload pages, definied for clarity. Please note that these definitions, as with all things fannish, are somewhat fluid. We've done our best, but we're not going to split hairs. If you feel that a definition is very wrong or incomplete, please e-mail the archivist.


Gen Fiction in which there are no romantic relationships, with the possible exception of relationships established in canon. Note: Some overlap with het and slash may occur, depending on the perception of definitons by the author.
Het Fiction in which a heterosexual relationship is an important component of the story. Note: Some overlap with gen may occur, depending on the focus of the story.
Slash Fiction in which a homosexual (either male/male or female/female) relationship is an important component of the story. Note: Some overlap with gen may occur, depending on the focus of the story.
Pre-Slash Fiction in which there exists the desire for or anticipation of a homosexual relationship. For the purposes of this archive, if there is a kiss, then the story is not pre-slash. A kiss qualifies as a beginning of a relationship, and the story should be categorized as a slash first time.
Action-Adventure Fiction in which a physically active, non-romantic plot is an important component.
Alternate Universe Fiction in which the author deviates from the canon of the source material as it existed at the time the story was written. This means that a story which is later rendered AU by new canon does not need to be recategorize. Please note that this category will include both canon-related AUs (i.e., what if a patient we see on the show had died instead of lived) and AUs that are much further afield (i.e., what if the characters existed in the Victorian era, or on a space station, etc.).
Challenge A story written in response to a challenge made on an LJ community, message board, mailing list, or similar site.
Crossover A story which combines two fictional universes. (i.e., House meets Buffy)
Drama-Angst Fiction in which an emotional or characterization-related plot is an important component.
Episode Related Fiction based on episodes we have seen. The category includes missing scenes and tag scenes.
Established Relationship Fiction in which two characters are already involved in a romantic relationship. This category applies to both slash and het pairings. Note: If a story includes a first time for the characters, but then moves beyond that first time, it may be listed as both first time and established relationship.
First Time Fiction in which two characters first initial a romantic relationship. This category applies to both slash and het pairings. Note: If a story includes a first time for the characters, but then moves beyond that first time, it may be listed as both first time and established relationship.
Holiday A story centered around a holiday of some type. (i.e., Valentine's Day, Christmas, Yom Kippur, etc.)
Humor A story intended to be funny.
Hurt/Comfort Fiction in which one character is hurt, either emotionally or physically, and the other character comforts them.
Poetry Poetry.
PWP An abbreviation for "Plot? What plot?" Used to refer to stories written soley or primarily for the purposes of including a sex scene.
Random Um. Not sure. I may try taking this category out on the next update of the archive settings.
Romance Fiction in which the primary plot line focuses on the romantic relationship between two characters. Applies to both het and slash.
Series Used to indicated that the story is a part of a larger group of stories.
 
All Ages Content rating. Everything up to and including sexual innuendo and/or jokes.
Over 13 Years Content rating. Actual kissing/groping; moderate physical violence.
Mature Audiences Content rating. Non-graphic sex scenes; graphic violence; all rape/non-con (unless completely "off screen").
Adult Graphic sex scenes; extreme violence. Please check warnings to distinguish the rating for sex--most common--from that for violence.
space
BDSM An abbreviation referring to the sexual practices of bondage, dominance, sadism, and masochism. Also includes dominance/submission (sometimes appreviated D/s).
Character Betrayal When one of "our heroes" intentionally leads another into a negative situation, or kills another of "our heroes". Does not include canon events.
Death Story Fiction in which a regular character dies. Includes canon deaths of regular characters. Does not include canon deaths of guest (i.e., patient) characters.
Violence A warning for violent content (i.e., murder, assault, torture). Does not include description of medical procedures.
Extreme Violence A warning for violent content beyond the norm. Examples: decapitation, evisceration, etc.
Rape/Non-con A warning for sexual activity in which all participants are not fully consenting. Note: Many people have different boundaries regarding questionable consent, ability to give consent, and so on. Please, please, please include this warning if you believe it applies, but also please understand when someone's boundaries differ from yours--and they tell you so.
Unusual Sexual Situation A blanket term intended to cover all sexual activity that may be considered "kinky" but which doesn't fit into BDSM. We all have different definitions of "kinky", so here's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in this category: scat, golden showers, felching, cross-dressing, more than three participants in the sex, etc.

 


Legal Disclaimer The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Home.