A Fish Tale

Chapter 4

by

Oasis Herself

Rating: Still PG 13ish... but don't give up hope yet.
Disclaimer: The usual, not mine, no money and etc.
Originally Posted: 1/15/06
Note: Well guys, here we go again... I'm subjecting you to more fish adventures. Thanks as always to Porridgebird, Beta extraordinaire and Elessil's 'Sea Men'

Limpet

Early the next morning, the two of them were finishing breakfast on what they had already come to think of as "their" pile of rocks.

James was bent over an intricate pattern of stones and discarded shells and was finalizing the details of their impending covert mission to Port Royal with the precision of a confirmed military man.

Jack was eating his way through an enormous pile of mussels.

"Please try to pay attention, Jack."

"I'm listenin', mate."

James made a few last minute changes to one of the stones and looked up. Jack was still eating.

"Sparrow, you've not been listening at all."

Jack looked up, licking his fingers. "James, I sneak in an' outa Port Royal all the time. It won't be a problem."

James starred at him. "You sneak into Port Royal... all the time?"

"Aye."

"And for what purpose?"

Jack tilted his head and tugged thoughtfully at his ear. "Well, sometimes—"

"Never mind," James interrupted, quickly, "just... never mind. I really don't want to know. If you would be good enough to take a look at this before we leave?"

Instead, Jack looked up at the sky, face wrinkling in concentration. "It's fair skies, Commodore and we've got... oh, what do ya figure, say eighty nautical miles? I'd hazard that we can swim comfortable enough at twenty knots, and it's Tuesday. It is Tuesday, innit?"

"Yes, but I fail to see what possible difference that could make."

"Well, if it's Tuesday, Murtogg and Mullroy will be on guard duty." He tossed another shell over his shoulder and winked. "No problems, mate."

 

"I thought you said no problems."

"Well, it's a lot easier with feet."

"Peek out, Sparrow, see if you can see anything."

"Shhhh... shhht... they're coming."

"I... I think part of my tail is sticking out."

"Shhhht..."

James huffed out an irritated sigh and quietly eased the tip of his tail into the cramped confines of the boat they were hiding beneath.

"I just knew it was going too well," he whispered.

They had found the stretch of beach without any difficulty and, curiously, they had actually been able to smell the exact spot where the merman had fallen.

Once they got up to the shore, they had even made a bit of a ceremony of it.

Jack found a sharp piece of shell and made a simple cut across James palm and then James had done the same for Jack. When the blood began to flow freely, they had clasped hands and let their blood mingle together before letting it drip onto the sand. As a show of respect, Jack had insisted that they strike an accord.

"What manner of accord did you have in mind, Sparrow?"

"Well mate, his death has given us a rare and opportune moment in time," Jack told him, "and we should vow to make the most of it, eh? Honor it?"

"You've a bit of a poet's soul to you, Jack," James had answered in surprise.

"Aye, maybe or maybe not, but you an' me, James, we've spent our whole lives on the sea. Now we've got until the new moon to spend it under the sea and I for one want to experience every bit of it. Except," he added quickly, fluttering his hand over his pouch and shaking his head, "you know, not that other... thing.

"Right. Absolutely not," James agreed.

And so they had an accord.

 

It had gone quite well, right up until the moment Jack spotted something shining in the sand next to the boats. Despite his best efforts, no amount of persuasion on James's part could distract him from it.

It turned out to be nothing more than a particularly brilliant keyhole limpet shell, but Jack had been delighted with the find. He insisted on keeping it for his hair and had, in fact, been determined to braid it into his hair, right then and there.

They had been arguing over that when they spotted Mullroy and Murtogg coming up the beach.

They just barely got under the boat in time.

James glared daggers now at the back of Jack's head and quietly mouthed, "You are the worst pirate I have ever seen."

"Just want ya to know, mate... I heard that."

 

Mullroy stopped and suspiciously scanned the row of small boats that lined the beach. "Did you hear something?"

Murtogg stopped beside him and listened. "No."

"Are ya sure?"

Murtogg looked up at him uncertainly. "Well if I had heard something," he asked, "what would it have sounded like?"

Mullroy sighed heavily. "If you need to ask what it sounded like than you couldn't possibly have really heard it, now could you. Ya see if you had really heard it, you wouldn't need to ask what it sounded like, right, because you'd already know what it sounded like."

"Right..."

Jack snickered.

"There it is again," Mullroy whispered.

"Oh dear God," thought James, holding his breath, "the idiot's going to get us caught." He swallowed down just the slightest edge of panic and eased his hand around Jack and very firmly covered his mouth.

He felt Jack snicker again against his hand.

"All right, you. Whoever's under that boat come out now."

Jack gave his head a shake and tugged James's hand from his face. "Nothing for it, I guess, but to face the music," and then proceeded to lift his side of the boat high enough to wriggle his head and arms out.

And now that slight edge of panic was nudging into genuine panic. "What the bloody hell does he think he's doing?" thought James, grabbing Jack around the middle to keep him from slipping all the way out.

"Mornin' gents," Jack said cheerfully.

James continued to cling desperately to the half of Jack, the fish half, that was still beneath the boat.

"Jack Sparrow! Look, it's Jack Sparrow."

Mullroy aimed his rifle at Jack. "What do you think you're doing under that boat?"

James could see just enough over Jack's shoulder, to see him hold his finger to his lips, glance furtively up the beach and then motion the two soldiers closer.

James ducked and peeked beneath Jack's arm and to his fury, saw both pairs of marine feet step forward and squat beside the boat. In a fit of pique over this blatant disregard for military protocol, he viciously pinched Jack.

Jack gave a yelp and reached beneath the boat to grab at James's hand. "Women..." he said to Mullroy and Murtogg, as if that explained something. Then he twisted and peered beneath the boat at James.

"Now, darling," he cooed, "you just let ole Jack take care o' everything." He leaned closer and lowered his voice. "And try not to do anything... stupid," he hissed softly.

He popped his head back out. "Where was I? Ah, yes..." and then, interspersed with comments about the weather and the current price of rum, he began to spin a convoluted and dissembling tale about star-crossed lovers, disapproving parents, clandestine meetings and the interference of that bloody Commodore James Norrington.

James was sorely tempted to pinch him again.

"They're never going believe this," thought James in disbelief, as he listened to Jack wind down finally with his story.

"And that's how I ended up under this boat without me clothes on."

Murtogg sniffled and blew his nose and Mullroy tsked sympathetically and then James heard Jack answer, "Thanks, mates. I knew I could count on ya to understand."

James dropped his forehead to his arm. "Oh, for the love of... they're all idiots."

Jack squirmed his way back into the boat and let the side drop down to the sand. He was breathing heavily.

"Not feeling so good mate," Jack said softly.

"Believe me, Sparrow, after listening to that, I'm feeling a bit ill myself."

"No, I mean it. I'm really not feelin' so good."

James listened to the soldiers' voices grow fainter as they walked up the beach, and when he could no longer hear them he elbowed Jack. "Let's get out of here."

"G'me a minute, mate," he gasped, "havin' a little trouble breathin' here."

James pushed the boat up high enough to see the full length of the beach, and then completely off of them. He rolled clear and sat up. "Come on, Jack, we're leaving. Now."

Jack nodded and struggled to sit. He was gasping for breath, but managed to get himself upright. He swayed drunkenly, caught himself, swayed again and then just wilted against James.

James caught him and tipped his head back. "It's your hair, I think," he murmured, pushing the mass of braids and beads off his neck. "You've gotten it all tangled into your gills."

The gills had dried to a dusky blue color and a tiny trickle of blood could be seen at the corners of each gill.

"Oh Christ, Jack, we've been out of the water too long and I think you've gotten sand in there as well."

"Tryin' to keep 'em hid 'neath me hair."

James wrapped an arm round him and began to drag him across the sand. "Of all the idiotic stunts," he snapped, more afraid now than angry. "I told you to leave that damned shell, but you just had to have the bloody thing."

"Mate," Jack asked weakly, "can ya wait on the reprimand till we're back in the sea?"

"Are you able to help at all?"

Jack gave one strong push with his tail and then was suddenly dead weight.

"Jack?"

James dropped him on the sand and rolled him over. He was unconscious and the gills were darker now, almost purple. He brushed the sand off of them as best he could and they fluttered weakly.

He glanced quickly up the beach and then made the best decision he could under the circumstances. He lined Jack's body parallel to the water and pushed. Jack rolled across the wet sand and landed face down at the waters edge.

James's stomach gave a sick lurch at the sight. In some horribly macabre twist of chance, he had landed in the same position they had found the merman in. The only difference was that Jack's hand had fallen open and the tiny limpet shell lay beside it.

James scrambled across the sand to his side and rolled him into the water.

"Come on, Jack," he muttered, splashing water onto his face and gills, "don't you dare leave me stuck like this all by myself. Do you hear me, Sparrow?"

James pulled him farther into the shallows and it seemed like he was beginning to breathe a little easier. The gills were pinking up and not quite that horrible dark purple.

James splashed more water on the gills and brushed the hair back from his face. "Please Jack, come on now."

Jack finally rasped out a painful sounding moan and his eyes fluttered open.

"Jack?"

"Aye," he croaked.

"Thank God."

Jack tried to sit up and floundered. James helped him and then, cupping his hand, poured more water on his neck.

"Warmin' right up to me, eh Commodore?" he rasped hoarsely.

James glared down at him. "I should have left you under the boat."

Jack lifted his hands and opened them, examined them front and back. He sighed and leaned back against James. "Meant no harm, mate."

James sighed in exasperation. "No... you never do, it seems; but still, we need to leave before they come back. Do you feel well enough to swim?"

Jack nodded.

He eased Jack down into the water. And then, chiding himself for his own foolishness, he went back for the limpet shell before he pushed them both out into the deeper waters of the harbor.

 

It was a slow trip back. Jack was tiring easily and they stopped frequently for him to rest.

James tried using the clicks to find their way through the waters, but the trial and error of using it for direction had been fatiguing so they made the last part of the journey near the surface and in view of the night sky.

It was well after dark before they reached the cove, and Jack went straight to the cave.

"Not hungry, mate," was Jack only comment, so James gathered a quick meal for himself from the sea bed.

Here now the clicks served him in the darkened waters and he easily found the sea grass and a handful of oysters.

He climbed onto the rocks to eat and pulled the limpet shell from where he had stowed it in his pouch. He turned it over and over in his hand. It was a pretty enough shell, and with its key shaped hole at the center, he supposed it really was a perfect addition to Jack's odd assortment of trinkets. For the life of him though, he couldn't fathom why he had bothered to go back for it. After all, it wasn't as if he actually liked Sparrow. He did have to admit, grudgingly, that Sparrow did have a sort of charm to him. That had certainly been evident when he crouched beneath the boat and listened to that ridiculous story. And now that he was thinking of Sparrow's charm and his use of it, or misuse, if you will, he made a mental note to do something about Mulroy and Murtogg. Discipline, he thought, has become far too lax at the fort.

 

James ate quickly and neatly and when he finished, he picked up the shell and headed for the cave.

He found Jack lying on his side and curled into a tight ball. Jack had somehow managed to curl his tail round himself and had tucked the end of it under his head. His cheek rested on the feathery tips of the fluke and he was sleeping soundly.

James climbed onto the ledge and set the shell carefully onto an overhanging rock for safekeeping

In another hour the moon would be above the cliffs and the cave would be in total darkness, but for now he could just make out Jack's face in the shadows. One of the braids had fallen across his neck and the fine hairs at the end fluttered with the exhalations of his gills. James reached over and tucked the stray braid behind his shoulder.

Jack stirred and lifted his head. "James?"

"Yes."

"Everything all right, mate?"

"It's fine Jack, go back to sleep."

Jack tucked his face back down into his tail. "Night, James."

"Good night, Jack."

 

Jack was already up and out at the rocks when James woke the next morning.

"We need to find a better cave, mate," he announced without preamble as soon as James joined him on the rocks.

"What's wrong with the one we have?"

"Nothin' when the tide's up, but when the tide's out, that leaves us to flop through the shallows to get to the sea an' that's more disadvantage than I care for."

James began to pick through the pile of shellfish that Jack had gathered. "May I?" he asked and then helped himself at Jack's nod. "What could possibly pose a threat to us?"

"Men, creatures..." he looked up and grinned before adding, "sand."

James paused in his eating. "Are you feeling better today?"

"Aye. I'm well on my way to a full recovery, I'm sure." Jack stretched the length of his tail across the rocks until he could reach James, then twined the tips of their tails together and gave a gentle tug. "Did I thank you, James?"

"Not that I recall."

"Well, then thanks, mate. Of course, it was just one more day that..."

Jack was off and running and James leaned back, watching him and only half paying attention to his words. Jack had his finger to the corner of his mouth, as though he'd just had some praiseworthy thought and then that hand was fluttering through the air as his body weaved and swayed to the lilt of his own voice. Jack possessed an odd grace as a man, James thought, watching him, but here now, in this guise, that grace seemed almost a natural extension of the lean length of his torso and the sinuous lines of his tail. He let his eyes follow the curve of Jack's tail, down to where it narrowed and curved before flaring into the flukes.

Jack was still rambling.

Curious, James mused, that after only two days, the eye could find an aesthetic appreciation to a fish's tail. He grinned at the thought.

"And I expect you've come to appreciate ol' Jack Spar—" Jack's words died. He pulled his face into a pout and looked quite offended before demanding, "What? What are you smiling about?"

"Actually Jack, and I fear for my sanity in saying this, but it appears I'm becoming... reconciled to your company."

 

Most of that morning was spent searching the rock cliffs around the cove. They finally found and agreed upon a cave with an entrance hidden beneath the water line. Several deep fissures in the rock ceiling afforded some light, and a wide, flat shelf at the back would serve them as a sleeping ledge.

It also offered an escape passage. The escape passage led from the back of the cave and though its entrance was under water and hidden by a rock overhang, above that overhang was dry ground.

Jack had pointed out that if the enchantment faded while they were in the cave, they could make that swim without the benefit of gills.

Dree and Aroo showed up halfway through the morning to see what they were doing and then helped them to gather armfuls of a thick sea moss that the merfolk used for lining their own sleeping ledges. Sleeping on the soft wet moss, James decided, would be a wonderful luxury.

He went back to the old cave one last time to reassure himself that their clothing was safely stowed and to retrieve the shell for Jack. When he returned to the new cave, Dree and Aroo had gone, and Jack was waiting for him.

"Here," he said without ceremony, handing the shell to Jack.

Jack turned it in his hand for just a moment before looking up. "Why'd ya bother to do that?"

"What?"

"The shell, Norrington. Why'd you bother to bring the shell back?"

James shrugged. "You seemed to want it badly enough, and after all the trouble to acquire it..." He let his words trail off, baffled by Jack's reaction. He thought Jack would be pleased, but there he was now, eyes narrowed and suspicious and the shell still on the palm of his hand.

"I see no profit in it for you, mate."

"Must there be?"

"Never known there not to be."

James was on the verge of being angry, but something about Jack's expression told him that Jack was genuinely puzzled by the gesture. He held his temper and, instead, reached out and closed Jack's hand around the shell. "It was a favor freely given, Jack. Just say thank you and be done with it."

Jack furrowed his brow as he searched James's face, and then looked down in embarrassment. James watched the flush spread across his cheeks. To his surprise, he found it oddly endearing.

"Thanks, James, I... just, thank you very much." He twisted on the ledge until his back was to James and began to thread the shell into his hair.

James watched him as he worked the shell into the new braid. Apparently, he thought, it must always be tit for tat amongst pirates.

On impulse he asked, "How old were you when you went to sea, Jack?"

"Oh, 'bout eight, I guess." He didn't look up. "I turned pirate when I was eight and a half."

"How in heavens name did that happen?"

Jack looked up and met James's gaze evenly before answering. "I was cabin boy on a Navy vessel. Captain McGuire was a bit... rough on cabin boys, an' I jumped ship. Pirate ship was a bit more civilized." He returned his attention to his braid.

James knew that name. It had been quite the scandal in the Royal Navy at one time, and the man had eventually been hanged for his crimes against nature, and small boys in particular. He wondered if Jack had been forced—then quickly cut that thought short. It was none of his business to ask.

Jack tied off the braid, and as he finished, he looked up and asked, "What about yourself, Commodore? When did you go to sea?"

"I was fourteen," James shrugged, and then confided, "It was that or the priesthood."

"Well, I'd say ya made the right choice then, eh mate?"

"I've never regretted it." He leaned back on the soft moss and fingered it thoughtfully. "Have you any thoughts on how we should spend the rest of the afternoon?"

"Actually mate, I do," and now Jack could hardly keep the excitement from his voice, "Did you notice the whales, earlier? I've always fancied a closer look at those monsters!"

"Whales?"

"Aye, James... what say you to that?"

James starred at him in disbelief. "Are you mad, Jack?"

"Aye, so they say," he grinned.

 

So that afternoon, they swam with whales.

Jack, in a reckless burst of courage, actually swam alongside one of the leviathans and reached out to touch it. The creature curled in the water to bring its great eye level to Jack's head and seemed to study him thoughtfully.

James's curiosity eventually overcame his caution and he joined Jack to touch one of the creatures, himself. The whales good-naturedly tolerated them both as they darted amongst them.

When they tired of the whales, or more accurately, when the whales tired of them, they followed the coast for a while. They stumbled upon a pair of sharks mating and watched the savage lovemaking in fascination. When the male clamped razor teeth into the top ridge of her dorsal fin as they mated, James felt a disquieting sense of arousal deep within his pouch, though his prick didn't so much as twitch.

He glanced furtively over at Jack. He was watching, spellbound and as James watched, he saw Jack's hand creep down into his own pouch. His eyes fluttered shut for the briefest moment and then with a toss of his head, he turned and darted off through the water.

By the time James caught up to him, he found Jack fending off a determined barracuda. Apparently, the shy barracudas were as attracted to shiny things as Jack was. This one was bent on stealing the coin from Jack's braid. It was a near thing. The braid was shredded but Jack managed to save the coin.

They were in high spirits when they returned to the rocks.

Dree was waiting for them. "The birth," he announced, "is imminent."

Jack visibly cringed at the news. "Best wishes to the father," he muttered, sliding onto the rocks behind Dree.

"Only the males of a pod are permitted to attend a birth," Dree explained, "and it is a rare and privileged honor for you to be invited."

"Sorry mate," Jack said quickly, "shame to miss that, but we've important doings for the evening, eh James?"

"No we don't."

Jack's eyes went wide and he began to frantically shake his head and mouth 'no' at James.

James reached around Dree and fingered the limpet shell in Jack's hair. "I seem to recall something about opportune moments in time and an accord."

Jack grudgingly agreed to go along.

They were led to a deep cavern beneath the water. Some of the rocks gave off a light of their own and the cavern shimmered in an eerie green glow. Ledges lined the walls and most of them were piled high with the sleeping moss. It seemed that this was a sort of communal living quarters. On one of the underwater ledges, was the expectant father. He appeared to be in a great deal of pain, and was being attended by the same old one that had retrieved the dead merman.

Jack twined his tail around James's and watched, horrified, from over his shoulder.

The little female (to the great joy of the pod) was delivered from her Father's confining pouch, fully formed and swimming. The oddity was that the cord was not severed, and a small part of the birth sac remained attached to the umbilical.

Dree explained to them later that it would continue to nourish her until she was able to forage and feed with the rest of the pod. "It will wither and fall away when it is no longer needed."

James was enchanted with the tiny creature and her first nap was spent cradled in his arms with her tail twined firmly around his wrist. She was apparently, equally enchanted with him.

 

Later that night in the cave, Jack told him, "don't be getting any thoughts, now Commodore."

"Not bloody likely, Sparrow, though she is a fetching little creature, isn't she?"

"Aye, she's cute enough, but watchin' that birth was enough to make a man understand why the lads pair up out here, eh?"

"God yes, Jack, wasn't it awful?

"Aye!"

They both fell silent, sharing the moment and the memory. Jack finally spoke into the darkness, "I'm kinda disappointed, actually. I was lookin' forward to being with a mermaid. If ya get my drift."

"Yes, well... I was rather hoping for that opportunity myself."

"You?"

"Might I remind you that beneath the uniform, I'm still a sailor?"

Jack began to snicker, "Aye, point taken Norrington."

"Good night Jack."

"Night, James."

 

Chapter 3 :: Chapter 5

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

Read Comments
(Warning: May contain spoilers!)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.