Techniques

Oddly enough I don't use that many.




Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code

There are two main techniques I use when making a dragon. The first is the pinch-pot and the second is the coil. The pinch-pot forms the basis for the body and head in the European dragon and the head in an Oriental dragon. When used, both the body and the head are the combination of two connected pinch-pots. The head is put together after both parts have been reshaped and given the basic structures, such as teeth and eye sockets. The body on the other hand is put together as soon as the pinch-pots are formed. I use the bubble of air trapped within the connected pots to help shape the body into its desired position. A modified form of the pinch-pot is used with the scales, which are individually formed using 'pinches' of clay.

White dragon and female rider.

The leg, tail, neck, toes, teeth, and various other features are made with the coil technique. The oriental body, due to its shape is also made with this technique. In the case of an Oriental dragon, I form the body, neck, and tail as one long piece. The width of the coil at various points determines the differentiation between these three parts. Once formed the body section is then hollowed out using a loop tool. This lessens the weight and helps prevent stress cracks. The legs are formed with smaller coils that are bent into position. In order to give them muscle definition, I either attach and smooth into place a series of small coils or if I want a more lithe leg, I make cuts into the coil and then smooth out the edges with a paintbrush. The smaller details such as teeth, toes, eyebrow ridges, and spines are rolled out and then attached with a bit of water and some pressure from a paintbrush.