Be Careful What You Wish For, cont'd

by JJ



Back to Part One * Part Two

* * *

For a week, Chakotay slowly started getting closer to Tom. He made an effort to be where Tom was. He spent more time near him on the bridge, and even touched him occasionally. He also kept their shifts tighter together than usual. But his time was limited as he tried to catch up on the backlog of reports.

That and straightening out one major misunderstanding on Kathryn's part. She had walked into the sickbay when Tom was helping him sit up that first time and had seen what she thought was Tom holding him, hugging him, and then her jealousy had kicked in and everything she saw had sexual overtones. The conversation about his blood pressure had been viewed through tinted lenses.

"Kathryn, if I've gotten the time line straight, that was the day he broke up with B'Elanna and he was just trying to get me to sit up by myself. To start using muscles so they didn't atrophy. You busted him to Ensign for...what?"

"Chakotay, he sent you into a coma. He nearly killed you!"

"No," Chakotay stated emphatically. "I did that. Kathryn, let me lay it on the line. I got drunk. I got so drunk, I fell over backwards and cracked the base of my skull on the corner of a table. I did it, not Tom. Yes, he made the situation a little worse, but I was the one that hurt myself. The Doctor told me Tom said: 'It's the Commander, and he ain't dying on my shift.' The only thing he did was treated the wrong thing and made the swelling a little worse. I should be the one busted for getting that drunk."

"But...but..."

"Kathryn, Tom did an excellent job. He is not a Doctor. He had another member of the crew appear in front of him with a serious injury. He did a great job, given his level of experience. It was your emotions that got all tangled up in this. You got mad because you thought he hurt me, you misinterpreted an innocent situation and got jealous when he said something just as innocent. He was talking about how I always got mad at him. Nothing else."

"Chakotay, you know how I f..."

"Don't go there, Kathryn. This discussion is about how you treated Tom Paris, not you and me," Chakotay announced.

Kathryn sat there for several minutes staring at Chakotay closely. "He never touched you inappropriately?

"Never. Spirits, Kathryn, he regenerated my backside with my sleep pants on, and stared at the wall when he helped me to the bathroom. What did you want him to do?"

* * *

The next day, he met Tom's eyes as his rank was restored. He could see the pride glowing in Tom's eyes. When Tom cracked a slight smile. Chakotay had nodded and winked.

* * *

That night, as he worked late for the third night in a row, his door chimed. He called out come as he worked on the power consumption logs. The doors swished open and he looked up to see Tom coming in with a tray.

"Tom? What are you doing?"

"Bringing you dinner, Chakotay. You haven't eaten dinner in three days," Tom said with a sardonic smile. "Some people just need someone else to take care of them."

Chakotay smiled at the airy put upon tone Tom used. "Are you volunteering?" Chakotay asked, as he put the stylus down.

"Maybe," Tom said, as he put the tray down on the small table in front of the couch. "C'mon, give those reports a break, and come eat."

"Whatcha got?" Chakotay asked, standing up. He realized he was hungry and it was well past dinnertime.

Tom smiled up at him. "Mater Sou," he declared with a big grin.

"Oooh, my favorite. Do I get to feed myself this time?"

"Only if you don't spill," Tom shot right back at him.

Chakotay smiled and asked, "What else?"

"Actually, Tomato soup, sandwiches, some pretty good vegetable we found on the last planet we stopped at, and some tea."

"Sounds good, Tom. Thanks."

They ate dinner enjoying each other's company. It was a long time, before Chakotay got back to his reports, but he felt good inside. He also noticed Tom was getting calmer in his presence. On an odd thought, he commed Greg.

"Yeah, Cap?"

"You busy?"

"Nope, not at the moment."

"What's the scuttle butt on Tom?"

"Nada, Chak. He's spending most of his time by himself. No new conquests."

"Don't put it that way, Greg."

"Hey, the man has made the rounds."

"True. How's B'El?" Chakotay asked, wanting to make sure Tom had told him the truth.

"She's good, Chak. She rarely even calls Tom a pig anymore."

* * *

It was later that week that Chakotay ventured into Sandrine's. When he entered he almost started coughing. It seemed to be a darker version of the program. The smoke was thicker, the lights dimmer and the crowd rougher than usual. He glanced around the gloom and spotted Tom playing pool. He hesitated, but walked up to him.

"Hey, Chak," Tom greeted, without looking up from his shot.

"Tom. What's up?"

Tom made his shot with deadly accuracy. "What makes you think something's up?" Tom asked, as he picked up his long neck, tilted his head back and drained it. Chakotay was hit with memories of the night he had drained the bottle of whiskey. He watched Tom closely for a second, and realized something was very wrong.

"The way you're acting," Chakotay responded.

"Shit, Chak, this is the real Sandrine's. I cleaned it up for the crew," Tom said, gesturing around the darker surroundings. "Wanna play a game?"

Chak glanced at both Tom, who was chalking his cue and back around Sandrine's. He noticed Sandrine watching them, and wondered what had caused Tom to bring this version of the program up.

"Sure, let me get a beer."

As he approached the bar, he gestured to the bartender, and ordered his beer.

"Sandrine, anything happen tonight to upset Tom?" Chakotay asked quietly.

"The woman, B'Elanna, she came in with Ensign Kim," she said in a quiet tone, as she opened a beer for him. "Most people wouldn't have noticed, but...Thomas was most upset when they danced."

Chakotay digested that as he walked back to the pool table. Tom was where he was at the night he and B'El had come in. He sighed to himself.

Walk carefully, Chakotay, he warned himself as he picked up a pool cue.

Tom broke the rack while Chak still had his back to the table. The sharp impact of the cue ball made Chakotay jump slightly.

"So, how you doing, Chak?" Tom asked, as he circled the table with a shark's determination.

"Pretty good," Chakotay answered. He found himself nervous. He had seen Tom drunk, drugged, hurt, angry, needy, in charge, but never this dangerous. "How about you?"

Tom folded his body over the table and made a corner to corner shot with ball english that made the ball roll a good six inches backwards.

"Fucking wonderful, big guy," Tom said, sinking another combination with deadly accuracy.

Chakotay doubted that as he watched Tom decimate the table. "I thought you wanted to play a game?" Chakotay pointed out.

Tom, who was leaning over the pool table cue, made his shot, straightened and touched the pocket by his hip, and said,

"Maybe not. Back here."

Chakotay watched the table stunned as Tom sank three balls with a wicked combination. If Chakotay hadn't seen it, he wouldn't have believed it could be made. The first to drop was the two in the side pocket, followed by the six in the corner and then as the ball's path altered after hitting the six, it tapped and sank the eight ball.

Tom threw the cue down on the table. "Sorry, Chak. I'm not in the mood for company. I'll talk to you later. Computer, play regular Sandrine's program. Good night, Commander."

And he walked out the door. Chakotay stood there silent for a moment, and then followed Tom. The last thing Tom needed was to be left alone. He called for a location and was surprised when he found Tom in an observation lounge on the lower decks. He walked in to find Tom standing in front of the viewport in a dark room.

* * *

Tom turned, looked at him and then turned back to the viewport. Chakotay ignored the poignant dismissal, and leaned back against the wall and waited.

"I said I wasn't in the mood for company, Chak."

"I heard you," Chak said quietly. "But...I'm not going to leave you like this, anymore than you left me in the storage compartment."

"Like what, big guy? I just want to be alone. You know me, Tom Paris, eternal loner."

"Not by choice."

Tom shrugged, and continued to stare out the viewport. Chakotay watched him, breathing deeply to enhance his calmness. Chak hadn't planned on telling Tom why he had gotten drunk that night, but for some reason he couldn't stop himself.

"Tom, the night I got drunk, I felt the same way you do. Alone, hurt, angry. Asking myself if anyone would ever care for me."

"Sandrine opened her mouth, didn't she?"

"She said Harry and B'Elanna came in, and..."

"Yep, they sure did," Tom said caustically. "And they danced. I didn't expect B'El to be a hermit, but did she have to pick Harry?" Tom slammed his hand against the viewport. "He's my best fucking friend, Chakotay. Couldn't she have picked someone else?"

Chakotay moved forward and put a hand on Tom's shoulder, remembering asking himself similar questions.

"So who was it for you, Chak? Who hurt you?" Tom asked, still staring out into space.

"It doesn't matter, Tom. Because I want to be here for you, like you were there for me," Chak said, meaning every single word of what he said. Tonight he had no intentions of doing anything but being there for Tom.

"No, you don't, Chak. In fact, I'll be lucky if you don't write me up," Tom said with an ironic laugh. He lowered his head against the glass.

"Why's that, Tom," Chakotay asked.

"Because, that wasn't synthehol, I was drinking in there."

"Wasn't synthehol I was drinking that night either, Tom. I won't write you up. I promise."

"Thanks," Tom whispered, and then stared back out the viewport.

How long the two of them stood there, Chakotay had no idea. He was a little shocked when Tom leaned back against him. He gently wrapped an arm around his waist.

"Tom?" he asked, wanting to clarify what was going on.

"Don't you miss it, Chak? Contact? The touch of another person? We scream we are so civilized and we've gotten so civilized we don't touch. I miss being touched," Tom whispered. "You know, when you were in the coma, I held your hand almost constantly. The Doc even said it was the best thing I could do. Touch you, talk to you, let you know you weren't alone."

"You aren't alone, Tom," Chakotay said in a low voice. "And yes, I miss it too." He readjusted his arm around Tom's chest, and put his chin on Tom's shoulder, giving him the contact he needed.

Then Tom started laughing, as tears began to spread down his cheeks. "I am such a fuck up."

"Why do you say that?"

"Hell, I spent a month, a month taking care of you, screaming there was nothing going on between us, and now look at me." He pulled away from Chakotay and went to a dark corner of the lounge. He just stood there facing the corner. Chakotay felt sorry for the man that felt so deeply, but wouldn't let anyone see it. He followed him to the corner and wrapped his arm around him again.

"Tom, you're hurt, same as I was. Let me return the favor. Let me take care of you tonight," Chakotay assured him. Then he laughed low and quiet. "I won't tell anyone what happens."

Tom laughed with him. "Yeah, but will you help me take a piss?" Chakotay heard his voice tremble and knew Tom was still crying.

"Only if absolutely necessary, Tom," Chakotay said. "But I really think you need to get some sleep."

"No, Chak," Tom said with a sigh, standing up. "This ain't right, you're just repaying a kindness. Technically, I'm teasing you. Good night, Commander." He pulled away again, and turned towards the door in a fashion so Chakotay couldn't see his face.

"Walk out that door, and I'll...I'll write you up, Lieutenant." It was the only thing Chakotay could think of to stop Tom from walking out the door, and he regretted it, but it was more important to get to Tom before he bottled all this up. Once Tom Paris buried something you needed a drilling rig to get him to open back up.

Tom stopped and slowly turned around. "So much for your promises."

Chak could see the pain and betrayal in Tom's stance. He was wide open, and Chakotay regretted adding another wound to the multitude he knew were there.

"I'm sorry, Tom, but you don't need to be alone tonight. I just couldn't let you walk out. Tom, I want to help, as your friend, not as the First Officer, not as the ship's counselor. I want to offer you the same thing you gave me. A hand when you need it."

Tom just stood there, but Chakotay saw his stance loosen up.

"You gonna take it or choose to stay alone?" Chakotay asked.

Tom lowered his head, and thought. Chakotay moved closer to him, keeping his hands to himself.

"Tom, do you remember the first time you fed me? You almost gave up because I didn't respond, right?"

"Yeah," Tom laughed harshly. "I was afraid you would get mad if I started making choo-choo noises at you or some shit."

"Well, considering my mental state, I just would have looked at you funny. But the point is, you heard my stomach growl and you knew I was hungry, so what did you do?"

"I fed you."

"Right, but I didn't help you, did I?"

Tom sighed. "So my stomach is growling?"

Chakotay could see the hurt had passed and Tom was just tired; bone weary by the look of him. "No, your heart is hurt."

"You ain't gonna let this go, are you?"

"Only if you insist I do," Chakotay stated, giving Tom the chance to walk back out the door.

The sigh Tom let loose with sounded as if he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. Then he looked up and said, "Let's go, Chak. You're right. I need to sleep."

Chakotay nodded and they walked to his quarters. Tom started to protest, saying he could sleep in his own bed.

"Tom, you don't need to be alone tonight. I'll sleep on the couch."

He settled Tom in his bed after replicating him some sleeping pants and started to walk into the living area.

"Chak?"

"Yeah, Tom?"

There was a long moment of silence. "Your couch ain't that comfortable."

"It's better than yours."

Tom shrugged and looked away. That was when Chakotay caught on to what Tom was doing. Spirits, talk about your left-handed invitation. He walked back to the bed and sat down. He thought for a minute before he said anything.

"Tom, I'm not interested in a one night stand," he said gently. He saw a mask of neutrality drop into place and cursed. Tom was touchier than a smashed thumb. "That isn't what I meant." He resettled himself beside Tom. "Look, Tom, if I'm understanding you right, you don't want to be alone tonight. I can understand that. You've also said you've never had the emotional contact you needed with a man, and I don't think a...pity fuck is what you want or need either." Tom's head jerked back around. Chakotay softened his tone and continued. "You want contact, or you want someone with you, that's fine. I can do that, but I will not screw up our friendship with a one night stand." He gently reached out and touched the side of Tom's face. "Okay?"

"Maybe I don't want a pity fuck, either" Tom said with some defiance in his eyes. Chakotay read past the words. Maybe Tom wanted something more, too.

"Then we'll try again some other night, but not tonight." Chakotay leaned down and gently kissed Tom's lips. "Now get some sleep, Lieutenant."

He stood up and started to walk back out of the bedroom, trying to ignore the effect that small kiss had had on him.

"Would it be too much to ask you to hold me, Chak?"

Chakotay smiled, and felt his stomach tighten. "No, Tom, it wouldn't be too much."

Chakotay went and got ready for bed. When he came back in, Tom was sitting up in bed. Chakotay could see indecision and panic written in every nuance of his body language.

"Tom?" he asked gently.

* * *

Tom had been sitting on the bed, kicking himself mentally. He was probably making the biggest mistake of his life. He even doubted if what he was feeling was real. Shit, how had he managed to get himself in Chak's quarters? In his bed, no less?

It all started when Chakotay remembered. At first, Tom thought it had been him missing Chakotay's presence. They had been together for almost a month, but the night he woke up from the dream of washing Chakotay in the tub with a hard on, he began to think.

Dangerous thing for you to do, Tommy boy, he thought to himself.

He couldn't get Chakotay out of his mind. Their time together, Chak naked in the bathroom, asleep on him and everything else. And it seemed Chak was spending more time near him, touching him, and talking to him. Tom wanted to think it was just friendly, but...something was different. He had brought him dinner, and Chakotay had accepted, and had sat next to him on the couch, not in the chair, but next to him. But he hadn't done anything, but he had.

Then tonight. God, when B'El and Harry had started dancing, it had twisted in his stomach. So, he had engaged his own little override that had Sandrine's serving him real alcohol. The next thing he knew, he was reverting back to the old Tom, the hard drinking smart-ass, and that had been okay until Chak had showed up and then followed him to the observation lounge.

And now, he had just about hit on the Commander, and was using guilt to get into his bed. He almost bolted when he heard the bathroom door open and close.

"Tom?"

He looked up and although he had seen Chakotay like this before, never in full control of his mind. He almost gasped as he saw the wide expanse of chest, the muscled arms, and the handsome face.

"Are you sure, you want to do this?"

He stammered for a moment, but like a moth attracted to a flame, he nodded. Chakotay came and sat down on the bed.

"Are you sure?"

Tom gently reached out and touched Chak's cheek. He nodded again, as his fingers stroked Chak's cheek.

"Your skin is so soft," Tom whispered. "I noticed it when I gave you the bath."

Chakotay stayed very still. Tom looked up to see how Chakotay was taking it. His eyes were dilated.

"Remember what I said, Tom. Not tonight."

"I remember," Tom said. He couldn't deny there was a twisting in his stomach or that his cock was getting hard. Sleep pants didn't hide much.

Tom leaned down and gently brushed his lips over Chakotay's. Chakotay just held still and let him do what he wanted to. When Tom deepened the kiss, Chakotay joined him and for a moment, they explored each other. Then Chakotay pulled back.

"Stop this now, or I will sleep on the couch."

Tom lowered his eyes and nodded. He lay back down and curled up on his side. He felt the bed dip as Chak got in. He lay stiff for a moment or two and then sighed, and moved closer to Chakotay. He almost laughed and cried when he felt Chakotay curl up to his back and an arm come around his waist.

"Get some sleep, Tom," Chakotay whispered and placed a gentle kiss against his ear.


Tom woke up to his head feeling about three sizes too big and a very big warm body curled up to him.

"Morning," a voice quietly greeted. "How you feeling?"

"Somewhere between a fool, hung over and really, really good."

A chuckle met his revelation. "Want something for your head?"

"I would really appreciate it."

He groaned as the bed dipped, but sighed as a hypo touched his arm.

"There, that should help," Chakotay said, sitting beside him on the bed.

"Chak, I'm sorry about..."

"I'm not," Chakotay said staunchly. "I'm glad whichever way this goes that you trusted me that much."

Tom nodded and lay back.

* * *

Chakotay hadn't slept much that night. He had held Tom close to him and tried not to think about the two thin layers of cotton that separated his aching cock from Tom's ass. It hadn't been a pleasant way to spend the evening, but if this was what it took to gain Tom's trust, so be it. And if in the morning, Tom didn't want anything else, he would deal with it. Tom's next words made his heart swell.

"No one has ever done that for me, Chak. Thanks."

"Done what, Tom?"

"Not wanted me to come across."

He laughed shortly. "Tom, anyone that wanted you to come across in a situation like last night was a cruel jerk," Chakotay said, sitting beside Tom. "Besides, you were hurting. You needed to feel accepted."

"Yeah, but I just about threw myself at you."

"I wasn't going to let you make a mistake," Chakotay said.

"Thanks, Chak," Tom whispered.

Chakotay released the breath he had been holding and felt all the muscles in his back relaxed. "How you feeling now?"

"Better."

"We have to be on shift in about an hour. You feel like eating anything?"

"Actually, since last night is over, I want to do something."

"What?" Chakotay asked.

Tom sat up and, did the last thing Chak expected. Tom kissed him. This time there was no hesitancy involved. Chak was caught off guard and groaned, as Tom's soft lips pressed to his. Chakotay felt those long fingers skim over his cheek, as Tom's warm, soft lips slanted over his. Chakotay immediately started to get excited again, and twisted to get better access to Tom, but Tom wrapped an arm around his shoulders and lay back, pulling Chakotay down on top of him.

Chakotay stopped his descent by putting an arm on the mattress as Tom lay completely back. "Oh, spirits, Tom. Are you sure?" Chakotay asked, with the last vestiges of strength he had.

"That I want this? Yeah, Chak, I'm sure."

Chakotay lowered his head, and kissed Tom again. It was the sweetest thing he could do. Their hands explored each other's faces and bodies, as they slowly slid together. Chakotay let Tom roll them over and take the top. He started to take up a slow rhythm against Chakotay's leg. Chak reached down with a hand and moved Tom to where he was completely laying on top of him. They both groaned as they came together. Chakotay pressed against the small of Tom's back and answered his rhythm. Tom twisted in his arms and groaned.

"Yeah, Baby, we can take our time," Chakotay whispered. He kissed Tom again, biting at his lips and chin. "I want you, Tom."

Tom braced his arms, and looked almost frightened.

"Chak,...uh...can we...do we?"

"What, Tom?" Chakotay asked concerned. If Tom had changed his mind, he would understand, but he needed to stop now. "Do you want to stop?"

"No, but can we finish this, this way?"

Chakotay thought for a minute. "Whatever you want, Tom. I won't force you to do anything you don't want to, including finishing this."

"No," Tom said, with a sly smile. "I want to finish this, but I just don't want to...push it too far. Does that make sense?"

"Lots of sense, Tom," Chakotay murmured, reaching up to touch his face. "Not a problem."

Tom leaned down and started to kiss him again. Chakotay reveled in the hard, warm flesh pressed against him. He pushed up and ground himself against Tom. They both groaned.

"So good, baby. So good," Chakotay moaned, running his hand around the back of Tom's head, grinding them together again.

Tom just arched into him, both of them pressing hard against the other.

"Oh, gods, Chakotay. This is so good."

Chakotay moved his legs and cradled Tom between them. Tom lifted onto his knees and began to slide up and down, Chak's body. It was good, Chakotay thought, as Tom tucked his knees on either side of his ass. They worked together for a moment. But, Chakotay was dumbfounded when Tom pulled away. He stared up at him shocked.

"I may not be ready to go all the way yet, Chak, but this ain't right. Lose the pants," Tom ordered.

Chakotay's lust clouded brain slowly registered what Tom had said, as he watched Tom strip his sleep pants off. He started to follow suit. When he was done, Tom was rummaging through his bedside table drawers.

"Lube, Chak? Where do you keep your lube?" Tom asked.

Chak rolled onto his side and found it. "Tom, if you aren't ready, then..."

"I got something else in mind, Chak," Tom said, as he squeezed a generous amount onto his hand. He climbed back on the bed and took Chak's cock in his hand and began to stroke it. Chakotay couldn't help but arch up into the hand. He had been hard for too long. This was glorious, especially when Tom began to squeeze his hand and run his thumb over the top; he wrapped his hand around Tom's and helped.

"Oh, good, Baby. That is so good," he cried.

"You are beautiful, Chakotay. Gorgeous," Tom whispered.

Chakotay grabbed Tom behind the head and kissed him. He stopped Tom's hand and brought Tom gently down on top of him, again. He rubbed the two of them together, drawing a long groan from Tom. Then with his own lube covered hand, he grasped Tom's cock and his own, bringing them together tightly.

"Oh, shit," Tom gasped. "That is gorgeous."

"Ain't it though," Chakotay agreed, as they started to push at each other.

Tom wrapped his hands in his hair, pumping into Chakotay's hand, controlling their kisses.

"Yes, Chakotay, yes," Tom cried as his strokes became quick and hard.

Chakotay, pinned to the bed, was very aware of the sweat soaked bodies creating an erotic heat. He felt Tom bite and mark his neck and it almost sent him over the edge. He tightened his hand and when Tom shoved through it again, it wrenched a cry from Tom. Chakotay opened his eyes as Tom's strokes became hard and short. He watched Tom stiffen, arch his neck and cry out quietly, as warm cum filled his hand. It sent Chakotay over the edge, arching his back, lifting both of them off the bed.

* * *

When Tom's heartbeat began to settle down, he looked up to see dark brown eyes full of concern. He leaned up and kissed his Commanding Officer, his XO, his lover.

"That was so good," Tom whispered.

Chak wrapped a hand in his hair and kissed him seductively. "Yeah, that was very good."

Tom laughed and then asked, "So, big guy, want to have lunch."

Chakotay laughed once. "Paris, you're a nut, but yeah, let's do lunch."

The computer sounded a warning they only had forty-five minutes until shift.

"Come on, Chak, let's take a shower."

* * *

That was the weirdest shift Chakotay had ever done in his life. He wanted to do nothing more than throw Tom over the helm and do his ass right. The shower they had shared, for lack of time, he reminded himself, had almost lead to another round of hand jobs, but it was Tom that had kept his head and reminded him they didn't have time. He kept finding himself thinking about Tom asleep in his arms, stripping his pants off, staring out the viewport. Then something would drag him back to the bridge.

"Is something wrong, Commander?" Kathryn asked quietly.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"You keep sighing. If I didn't know better, I'd say you didn't want to be here."

"Well, Captain, there is a big pile of padds on my desk that need my attention."

"Fine, I'll make you a deal. I have a pile too. Why don't I work on mine this morning, and you can work on yours after lunch."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

Kathryn had nodded and left the bridge. Chakotay got up and walked up to the helm.

"Everything all right, Lieutenant?" He asked a question that appeared innocuous enough to everyone, but Tom that was.

"Just fine, Commander," came the humor tinged response. He nodded as Tom looked up and met his eyes. He almost smiled at Tom as his blue eyes danced with amusement. He raised an eyebrow at Tom but let a hint of dimple show to let him know he wasn't mad. He got a quick wink, but then Tom's eyes scanned the bridge and then pointedly lower his gaze and then licked his lips.

Not what I needed, Tom, Chakotay thought mentally.

He turned and went back to his chair, thinking of leola root stew and uncalibrated sonic showers and anything to calm his nether regions.


They walked down to the mess hall together. Chakotay had wanted to say something about the little display on the bridge on the turbolift, but as Tuvok got on with them, all he could do was put up with Tom's amusement filled gaze. He tried to promise retribution with his own gaze but it only made Tom's smile brighter.

They ate lunch together, and Chakotay was thrilled to see Tom still calm and relaxed. He did glance up to see Gerron and Greg staring at them. Greg's smile and Gerron's smirk let him know they were well aware of what had happened last night. He returned their smiles with a leveling gaze that promised dire pain if they didn't keep their mouths shut. Greg started laughing at him. Somewhere, he had lost his command stare that used to make people shape up and fly right.

* * *

Tom was thrilled as they ate in the mess together. It meant so much that Chak had been willing to do this so publicly. It meant he wasn't ashamed of what had happened, and that he didn't feel like it was a mistake and wasn't even mad about that little show on the bridge. He looked up to see Chak glaring at someone. He followed the glare until he saw Greg and Gerron, both of them were smiling at Chakotay, but when they saw Tom, they quickly busied themselves with their meals. Tom looked back at Chakotay.

"Is there a problem?"

"None. Greg knows me well enough to behave himself."

Tom felt his heart shrivel. He hadn't thought about the repercussions to Chak. The Maquis might have accepted him taking care of Chakotay, but his lover? What about the Captain? She was going to go through the roof.

"Hey, if this is going to cause problems for you..."

Chakotay turned to him quickly, and covered his hand. "Don't even, Tom. I am not upset, ashamed or embarrassed about what we did or being here with you. Greg was just gigging me, and so was Gerron." He lowered his voice. "Greg was one of your staunchest supporters when I was sick. He doesn't have a problem with it."

"Really?" Tom asked, glancing back over his shoulder.

"Really," Chakotay stated. "And there isn't a person on this ship that means that much to me. Unless you want to keep this quiet for a while, I have no problems with us being seen in public together."

Tom almost giggled, but managed to keep it to a smile. "I don't mind either, Chak."

"Good." Then Chakotay leaned closer to Tom. Tom leaned over as well. "And about your little display on the bridge, how about I tell you about how I want to lay you out on my bed and slowly suck your cock until you scream loud enough for Kathryn to hear."

Tom felt his cheeks flame bright red. The concept of Chakotay doing that to him brought his cock to life. Chakotay covered his hand so he couldn't pull back.

"And then how about, I tell you about how I want to slowly lube your gorgeous ass, and then open you up to me, and push my cock so deep inside you that you scream it feels so good?"

Now, Tom's cock would be obvious to anyone close by.

"Or how I want to lay down on my bed and pull one leg forward and let you fuck me until I come for you, Lieutenant. Would you like to do that? Hm? To slide your hard cock in me? Make me groan for you, and come for you?"

"Chak?" Tom groaned, his voice cracking.

"Or maybe in the shower again. Braced up against the wall? All that hot water beating down on us?"

Tom was so wrapped up in what Chakotay was saying, he didn't notice anyone getting close to the table, until he heard the Captain's voice,

"Commander, may I speak with you for a moment?"

Tom nearly leaped out of his chair. He looked first at the Captain, who definitely had an angry edge to her stance, and then to Chakotay, who had something close to regret on his.

"As soon as I finish speaking to Tom, Captain."

She nodded curtly, and went to her table. Tom watched Chakotay draw a deep breath.

"That woman has no timing," he whispered.

Tom almost laughed.

"Look, I need your permission to tell her what's going on. I know what her reaction is going to be and I will not let her take her anger out on you."

"Chak, why don't you let it go. I don't want to mess anything up."

"Get this through your head, Tom. There is nothing between Kathryn Janeway and myself. She has no control over my personal life as long as it doesn't interfere with ship's business. Now can I tell her or not?"

"You do what you think is best, Commander," Tom said with resignation. He could hear the death bells tolling already. He steeled himself. After all, what had they really shared with each other? A quick hand job and a chaste night in bed together? Let it go, Tommy boy.

"Wrong answer, Tom," Chakotay said sternly. He glanced at the table for a moment. "Okay, we'll give it some time. You're right." He stood up, but paused. "Make me one promise, Tom."

Tom felt his heart swell. Somehow Chakotay knew what he was thinking and answered his heart, not his words. "What's that, Commander?"

"Two, actually. One: quit calling me Commander, and two: if she starts to lay into you, you let me know."

"I will, Chak. I promise, I will."

Chakotay steeled himself and walked to Kathryn's table. He sat down with only his cup of tea in his hand.

"You wanted to speak with me, Captain?" he asked innocently.

"Well, I wanted to discuss some of the reports we were supposed to go over, but I was wondering if there was a problem with Lieutenant Paris."

"At this time, Captain, I believe it could be termed personal, so I will ask that you allow me some leeway."

"Tom has agreed to counseling?" Kathryn's tone was caustic, and it set Chakotay on edge.

"Technically, no, but he is having some problems and he is trusting me with some personal information. If I were to...violate that trust," Chakotay said, trying to sound official, "I believe the effects would be devastating to Tom."

"Well, I'm still not totally happy with how he dealt with you while you were ill, Chakotay."

"I'm sure there's an explanation for anything that caused you concern, Kathryn, because everyone else I've spoken with said Tom handled the entire situation in a professional manner."

"Fine," Kathryn said, putting her cup of coffee down. "I wanted to talk to you about..."

Chakotay sighed.

* * *

Tom waited for a few minutes, but when he saw Chak and the Captain were going to be at it for a while, he left the mess hall. He was surprised when Greg caught up with him, Gerron close behind.

"Paris," Greg called.

Tom stopped and waited. It was a knee jerk reaction but watching any Maquis coming towards him still made him nervous. He nodded a greeting to both of them, but crossed his arms and prepared for the threats that were sure to be heaped on his head.

Greg came even with him, and gestured they should start walking, and they fell into step. For a few steps it was quiet.

"Pa...Tom, chill. Life has changed. I just wanted you to know, and it's got nothing to do with you eating lunch with the Cap today, but the Maquis have no problems with you. Cap was clear and the way you took care of him, the hatchet is buried, okay?"

Tom thought about that for a minute. "Thanks, Greg. I gotta admit, I don't believe that its got nothing to do with me and Chakotay eating lunch together, but I understand what you're saying."

"Well, maybe it has a little to do with it, but...it was true before this, too."

Tom nodded as they got on the turbolift. "What about you, Gerron?"

"Me? I got no problems with you and Chakotay. I kinda wish it was me, Paris. You got a fine looking ass, and the Cap has always pushed my buttons," Gerron said with an evil smile and a lewd wink.

Greg slapped him. "Chill out, Tem."

"Hey, unless you're willing to do more than stare, I am still a free agent," Gerron taunted.

Tom watched surprised and shocked as Greg Ayala blushed. Luckily the lift opened and Tom went to his quarters for the few minutes he had before he had to be back from lunch.


Tom was upset when Chakotay didn't come back to the bridge that afternoon. He also started to get nervous, because he was getting the distinct impression the Captain was staring holes in the back of his head; when she wasn't standing over his shoulder. He hadn't been that nervous in a long time. He made a beeline for the turbolift as soon as his shift was over. Relieved, until Harry got on the lift with him.

"Are you mad at me?" Harry asked, when the lift doors closed.

"I wish you had given me a little notice," Tom said very honestly.

"Would it make any difference if I told you it only started last week?"

"Har, I'm not mad at you. It just hurt. I wasn't expecting it, and...well, it hurt."

"Yeah, I guess it was pretty mean of us. I'm sorry, Tom."

"Not a problem, Harry. Good luck, and...uh...watch it, B'El's been known to bite when she gets excited."

Tom shot off the lift on his deck, his emotions somewhere between amused and hurt when he saw Harry blush at his comment. Harry had been bitten.

* * *

Chakotay sighed, leaned back in his chair and stretched. He overbalanced and the chair started to tip over backwards. The sensation of falling caused him to jerk his weight forward and resettle his chair. Memories of the night in his quarters flashed across his mind. He was surprised when he found himself shaking and breaking out in a cold sweat. He looked at his trembling hands, acknowledged his trip hammering pulse and realized he still hadn't dealt with that evening. He shook his head, determined to get some time to himself to meditate. He had to get past that and quickly. It was the second time something had caused him to flash back to that night.

He looked at the chrono and realized alpha shift was over. Tom was probably sitting by himself, eating dinner. He reached up to tap his comm badge to talk to him when the red alert went off.

Spirits, he thought as he moved towards the door. Why couldn't hostile aliens have better timing? He sprinted down the corridor to get to the bridge.


When he took his seat, he read through reports pouring into his station. So far, no damage, but he could see that there probably would be. He called for a status and found out that the aliens, the Grumbari, had made contact. They, surprise, surprise, said Voyager had invaded their space and wanted Voyager to surrender. They really needed to get some new lines out here, but at least they didn't shoot first and then ask questions.

He turned as the turbolift opened, and caught Tom's eyes, as he, Harry and B'Elanna got off the lift. Stress was written all over his face. Chakotay gave him a quick nod of encouragement and then turned to Kathryn's ready room as that door opened. He briefed her quickly as she sat down beside him and made contact with the Grumbari.

Several very tense hours later, the Grumbari agreed to allow Voyager to pass through their space, with an escort of three Grumbari ships. Kathryn, Tom and Chakotay all stayed on duty to make sure that everything went smoothly, but they had thirty-eight point seven-two hours before they passed out of their space, according to Tuvok. Finally, Chakotay suggested Kathryn get some sleep. He promised if there were any problems that he would wake her immediately. She agreed with only a token argument.

Chakotay went to the helm. "How is everything, Lieutenant?"

"Fine, Commander. I don't see any problems negotiating this part of space for any of our pilots."

"That's good," Chakotay said, leaning over his shoulder. "I was going to comm you earlier. Sorry, I got wrapped up in my reports."

Tom executed a slight change in course. "No! You get caught up in reports and forget the rest of the universe exists. You've got to be joking me, Chak." He looked up and smiled at Chakotay.

Chakotay shrugged helplessly. "Guilty."

"I figured it out, big man. Don't worry about it. From the way the evening worked out, it's probably better we didn't start anything."

"Very true," Chakotay agreed. "What about when we clear this area of space?"

"Are you suggesting a date?"

"Yeah, dinner, maybe go to Sandrine's or we can do another holoprogram, if you want too."

"Hmmm, let me think about it. Maybe we can do Commander Paintball," he said dramatically.

"You aren't really writing that program, are you?"

"Chakotay, it's already there. Greg wrote it," Tom said with a smile.

"Commander, the Grumbari are hailing us."

"Open communications," Chakotay said, going to his chair and sitting down.

The screen flickered and one of the Grumbari officers appeared. It occurred to Chakotay again, how ugly they were. They were humanoid, but with the facial features of a pig for lack of a better description: big, ugly and not particularly friendly.

"Change your course to sixteen decarts by thirty-five minunds."

"Tom?"

"Converting, Commander," Tom said in a distracted tone.

"I said..." the Grumbari snorted angrily.

"We have to convert your directions to our helm, Officer," Chakotay intervened. "Please allow us a moment to do so."

"Got it, Commander, executing course change on your mark," Tom said, after inputting the data.

"Mark," Chakotay said. He nodded to the Grumbari officer, and watched him scan something in front of him.

"Much better, but no delays next time," he snuffled angrily and the screen went dead.

"Talk about your ugly creature," Tom said.

"Yeah," Chakotay agreed. He was surprised to hear Tom laugh.

"Something funny, Lieutenant?"

"Yeah, now B'Elanna knows what a real pig looks like," Tom laughed as he turned back to look at Chakotay.

Chakotay raised an eyebrow, but smiled all the same.

* * *

Tom looked at the view screen. He sighed. High alert rotations, twelve on, twelve off, but on standby. Oh goody. He wished they had better timing on stuff like this. Why couldn't things like this happen at the beginning of his shift, instead when he was supposed to be going to bed?

He looked back at Chakotay, surreptitiously. This was the first big emergency since he had been hurt. He seemed to be okay, but he would feel better if he could scan him. The next time Chakotay came to the helm, Tom took a chance.

"How you doing, Commander?"

"Fine, Lieutenant," Chakotay said resolutely.

Tom lowered his voice. "I mean it, Chak. How are you feeling?"

Chakotay's hand descended on his shoulder and squeezed gently. Their eyes met for a moment, and Chakotay's quiet voice was much warmer when he answered. "If you mean personally, I'm a little tired, Tom, but beyond that, I feel good."

Tom nodded and turned back to the helm.

* * *

The next two days were good. He and Chakotay took the second shift, while Pablo and Kathryn took the first, and except for one or two tense moments waiting for the computer to convert courses and a mistaken word here or there, uneventful.

It was the second night when Chakotay and Tom got off shift and were on the turbolift alone, that Chakotay asked quietly,

"Care to come to my quarters, Tom?"

Tom looked up surprised, the weary feeling suddenly evaporating. Chakotay was staring at the doors of the turbolift, but Tom saw the distinct beginnings of dimples showing.

"I don't know, Chak," he teased back. "What you got in mind? Parcheesi?"

Chakotay looked over confused. "What's Parcheesi?"

Tom laughed. "Never mind, Chakotay. It's an old board game. Sure. I'd love to."

Chakotay nodded with a smile. They got off the turbolift and walked to Chakotay's quarters. When they got in, Chakotay quickly stripped his uniform shirt off, leaving him in his turtleneck.

"Give me a few minutes to get things organized. Hey, if you want you can pick dinner."

"Okay," Tom said, thinking for a minute. He got an evil smile as he was about to order lasagna, but decided not to.

A few minutes later, he put a large glass of milk and a plate down beside Chakotay where he was going over reports and messages. He watched as Chakotay mumbled his thanks and then picked up the sandwich without looking at it and took a bite.

"You know, you've gotten me hooked on these," Chakotay said, after taking a healthy swallow of milk.

"Actually they're pretty good for you," Tom said as he watched Chakotay inhale one sandwich. Then a second.

"Yeah, and low credit item, too," Chakotay agreed.

Finally Chakotay stood up and said, "Computer, hold all messages unless they are an emergency."

"Acknowledged."

Tom stared for a minute and wondered how he had missed seeing Chakotay for all the time they had been together. He looked good, sounded good, smelled good and was the type of person Tom could hopefully get along with. Not that their past track record had been anything to brag about, but since Chak had been hurt, Tom had seen another side to him. He also admitted he had let Chak inside his usual barriers too.

He found himself just wanting to talk to him, share the little details that made up his life...and well finish what they started the other night. Actually, Chakotay had been driving him nuts since they had spent the night together. Thoughts and daydreams kept popping up at the worst times. On the helm, talking to Harry. Nothing like having to explain a quick smile without letting the cat out of the bag.

"Tom?"

"Hm?" he asked, looking back at Chakotay.

"You back with us?"

"Yeah, just thinking about something," Tom hedged, embarrassed to be caught daydreaming once again.

"Anything important?"

"Yeah," Tom said with a grin, stepping up to Chakotay. "You."

Chakotay gently reached out and pulled Tom into a hug, and kissed him. Tom hugged him back and returned the kiss.

"I like the sound of that," Chakotay said quietly.

"Me too, big man."

Tom leaned in for another kiss, which Chak gladly returned.

"You doing okay?" Tom asked concerned, touching his face.

* * *

It took Chakotay a second to switch gears. One minute he was kissing Tom and the next, Tom was asking if he was all right, and it took Chak a moment to realize he was talking about generally and health wise.

He smiled and gently kissed Tom's fingers. "Doing fine, Tom. I am just fine."

As he brushed his lips over Tom's fingertips, he saw Tom shiver. If there was one thing in this world that Tom Paris was, tactile was at the top of the list, and Chakotay loved to be touched just as much.

He reached out and touched Tom's uniform collar. "A little overdressed for PB&J's, aren't you?"

"You mean I shouldn't have my whites on?" Tom teased back, as he started to remove his tunic as well.

"No, remember I don't like to have to salute when I'm in bed with someone."

"I forgot, but it would be me doing the saluting in this instance," Tom said as he threw his tunic over the back of Chakotay's couch.

"Damned straight," Chakotay said, grinning.

Chakotay found himself drawing his teeth across Tom's neck, wanting to mark him. But he was not sure how Tom would deal with it. His rational mind screamed that may not be something Tom wanted, while his more base nature screamed he should throw Tom over the nearest piece of furniture and do him right there.

It was Tom's reaction to the gently biting that made Chakotay want to rip his clothes off him. Tom twisted and moaned, arching his neck backwards. Chakotay experimentally bit down and drew slightly and got an even louder response from Tom.

"Keep that up, and I won't be held responsible for my reactions, Tom," Chakotay whispered, as he once more drew his teeth across the side of Tom's neck.

"Keep that up, Chak, and I won't care," Tom groaned, as he tightly gripped Chak's arms, electricity shooting straight to his groin each time Chak scrapped his teeth across his neck.

Soon they were both standing there, hard, trying to get as much contact as possible. It was when Chakotay felt Tom start rubbing against his leg, that he reined himself in. He pulled back slightly, and looked into Tom's face. His eyes were dilated, his lips swollen and red. He had several marks on his neck, and he was breathing hard. Chakotay figured he looked about the same. Tom opened his eyes and met Chak's. Chakotay took his shirt in his hands and slowly lifted it over his head. He watched Tom reach out and stroke his chest.

"You're beautiful, Chakotay," Tom whispered. "I love to touch you, your scent, your eyes, everything."

Chakotay reached out and lifted Tom's face. He leaned in and kissed him deeply, and then whispered in his ear. "And you, Tom, have been a siren's song to me for years." He felt Tom's hands on his arms and barely kept from shivering. "I knew if I ever got the chance to touch you, I would crash." He bit Tom's neck, desperately wanting to mark the young man as his.

"You make me sound like I'm something bad," Tom whispered back.

"No, but I can't share you, Tom. I won't," Chakotay said. Then he met Tom's eyes. "Promise me something, Tom."

"What?"

"Promise me you won't blame yourself."

"Blame myself for what?"

"The night I got drunk. I was in Sandrine's and I watched you and B'El. Spirits, Tom, I got drunk because I thought I had lost you to B'El."

Tom just stared at him for a minute. "You were jealous of me and B'Elanna?"

"Yes, I wanted you then, but I had never seen you with a man, and with all the other shit that had happened between us, I was just glad to be your friend. Right up until, I saw you and B'Elanna. Then I knew." Chakotay kissed him deeply and was thrilled when Tom returned it.

"Knew what, Chakotay?"

"I don't know. I knew I had lost something precious to me. I had lost the chance." Chakotay kissed him again. "I'm not a one night stand, Tom. If it was just that night, stop now. I can't take giving you everything to have it thrown back in my face."

Tom reached up and touched Chakotay's face. "I want to be with you, Chakotay. I want to tell you about my days, share those little things with you. I haven't been able to get you out of my mind." He gently kissed Chakotay. "Not a one night stand, Chak. Not a one night stand."

Chakotay felt his stomach twist and his cock get harder and heavier than it had been in a long time. He pulled Tom up against him hard and pressed himself against Tom's hip. Tom groaned.

"Then let's do this," he said.

What Tom wasn't ready for was for Chakotay to push him backwards onto the couch. Tom sprawled across the soft surface, and Chakotay didn't waste a moment before covering him with his own body and unzipping Tom's pants. He watched the surprised look, but any protest was lost as Chak expertly grabbed his cock and started to stroke it. He brought Tom to the absolute edge and then stopped. Tom cried out as he released his cock.

"What in the hell are you..."

Chakotay then moved down and took Tom's cock in his mouth. The groans and thrusts fueled his own fires. He felt Tom's hands fasten in his hair as he swallowed his cock. Chakotay varied his rhythm and technique until Tom was bucking into his mouth. He loved to suck his lovers' cocks, giving them that exquisite pleasure. And Tom was no different. Chak could feel him trying to stave off his orgasm, and that was when he went in for the kill. He took Tom's cock to the root and then sucked hard and drew back up until Tom cried out loudly and came. He continued until Tom sighed and relaxed back onto the couch.

"Oh, Chak. That was great."

Chakotay just moved to kiss him deeply. Actually, he wanted to throw Tom on his belly and drive his aching cock home, but he didn't. He did however make a surprised noise when Tom's hand stroked the front of his pants. He caught Tom by the wrist and said,

"I can't stand much teasing, Tom, and I don't want to come in my pants."

"Where do you want to come?" Tom asked with a lazy smile. "Huh, Chakotay? Do you want to lay me out on your bed like you talked about? Or maybe, right here on the couch?"

Chakotay groaned at both mental pictures. "One day, Tom I want to do both of those, but tonight it's up to you."

He was surprised when Tom pushed on his shoulders and got up off the couch.

"Then we'll do it my way. Bathroom, big man."

Chakotay stood up and followed Tom to the bathroom. He started breathing hard when Tom stripped in front of him, and then started the shower. He was not prepared for Tom kneeling in front of him and releasing his boots and then his pants.

"You like?" Tom asked. His breath caressing Chak's cock.

"Do something, Tom, or it's up against the wall."

Tom chuckled evilly. "In the shower, Chakotay. It's bath time."

Chakotay got in the shower and let the hot water beat on his body. Then he felt Tom's body behind his. It was taking a lot of Chakotay's control to maintain any semblance of sanity.

"Brace against the wall, Chakotay. I get to enjoy this shower."

Chakotay leaned against the wall, as Tom washed every inch of his body. Chakotay was so sensitized to touch by the time Tom was finished, he was moaning and shivering almost uncontrollably.

"Now, Chakotay. Show me what you got," Tom growled.

Chakotay stood up to see Tom braced against the wall of the shower. He snuggled up against Tom, letting his cock slide between Tom's legs, and growled. He gently bit at Tom's back.

"I want you so bad, Paris. You have me shaking."

"You got me, Chakotay. Do your worst."

Chakotay moved back and used some gel on his hands. He pushed Tom's feet farther apart and ran his fingers between Tom's cheeks. As he pressed against Tom, he leaned over again and whispered,

"I'll do my best, Tom. You're gonna be so sore tomorrow, sitting is gonna hurt."

"I won't regenerate it, if you don't," Tom answered, and then groaned and arched his back as Chakotay entered him. Chak had no mercy and went straight for Tom's prostate. Tom was hard again before he even used a second finger.

"Yeah, Poocah," Chakotay said. "Show me what you like."

"Touch my cock, Chak. Gods, use the soap, do me both ways."

Chakotay grinned and began to stroke Tom's cock with a long stroke. He got Tom so hot, he was jerking himself between the two. Then he removed his hand and positioned his cock, and slowly pushed into him.

"Shit, you're tight," Chakotay groaned, as he slid deeply into him.

Chakotay pulled Tom farther away from the wall, and then braced his hand on Tom's hip and began to fuck him hard. Vaguely, he heard the roar of the shower, accompanying Tom's noises of pleasure, as Tom started to rock back, meeting his strokes.

"Oh, gods, Chakotay, you're big. So fucking big."

"Yeah, baby, I am. And it's all yours right now." He reached around and started to stroke Tom.

Tom twisted and then cried out. "That's it, Chak. Go. Do me."

"Am I hitting it, Tom? You want more?"

"I want it all," Tom groaned.

For a moment, nothing except their cries was heard over the water. Then Tom started to be sharp and abrupt and Chakotay quick and hard. Then in tandem they cried out. Chakotay hadn't had an orgasm like this since the Alpha. It started in his toes and his brains and exploded out of his dick.

It was a moment before he was aware again. He opened his eyes to find himself sprawled across Tom's back.

"You okay, Chak?"

"Yeah," he panted. "You?"

"Great, except you haven't gotten any lighter lately."

Chakotay laughed and straightened up. "Sorry."

"No need to apologize, Chak. That was great."

Chakotay pulled Tom to him and kissed him deeply. Then Tom started laughing.

Chakotay wondered what he was laughing at.

"Think the Captain heard us? We all know the bathroom's the least soundproofed."

"No, that would be Tuvok's quarters. Kathryn's are on the other side."

* * *

It was the third evening, shift rotation had occurred several hours earlier, and Tom was counting the light seconds to passing out of Grumbari space. Chakotay sat behind him, and Tom knew he was tired. Chak had been trying to keep up with his regular duties above and beyond alert bridge status, plus their little romp and stomp the night before.

Tom sighed deeply, and shifted in his seat.

"Problem, Lieutenant?" Chakotay asked from right behind him.

"No, sir," Tom replied, unaware that he had sighed quite that loudly, but very aware of the blush spreading across his cheeks. He checked their course in comparison to the Grumbari, and found they were still in formation with them. The position they had Voyager in concerned Tom. They were out in front, with the three Grumbari flanking and directly behind her. He checked the scanners, and was about to run a quick diagnostic when he picked up something on the edge of the sensors.

"Commander, sensors picking up..."

"Confirmed," Sam Wildman said. "Long range scanners picking up three ships coming straight at us."

"Open hailing frequencies. Bring the shields up," Chakotay ordered. "Grumbari, are the approaching vessels friendly or hostile?" The ship rocked hard to one side.

"That would be hostile," Tom said, bracing against the helm.

"The Grumbari vessels are leaving, Commander."

"Great! Get the Captain. Tom, come to a full stop. Ensign, hail the oncoming vessels." He sat down in his chair. "Unknown vessels this is First Officer Chakotay of the Starship Voyager..."

He repeated the greetings they had used countless times before, but it didn't matter, the oncoming vessels continued to fire, as the Grumbari ran for deep into their own space.

"Unknown vessel, we are the..." Chakotay tried one more time, before Kathryn stalked onto the bridge.

"Status?" she demanded.

Chakotay quickly relayed what had happened.

"I have had enough of this," she hissed. "Lieutenant Paris, prepare to go to high warp, get past these ships, and get ready to return fire. I want it to pack a punch. Tuvok, find their weak points."

"Yes, Captain," Tom and Tuvok replied.

It wasn't a pretty fight. Tom had done his best to get them past the other vessels, but they had still gotten hit once or twice. When the others had finally broken off their attack, Voyager was a little worse for the meeting, but whole.

"Nice work, Tom," Chakotay said from behind him. Tom felt a welcomed hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, Commander, but I could've done better."

"I agree, Lieutenant. I think we need to schedule in some training sims, Commander. The sooner, the better. You've been on for a while, Commander. I think perhaps it's you who should get some rest."

Tom looked up to see a strange look on Chakotay's face as he acknowledged the Captain's orders and left the bridge.

"Lieutenant Paris, stay alert. This may not be over."

* * *
Concludes in Part Four

 


Challenges * Home * Stories