The Magnificent Fellowship of the Ring

Chapter 4: The Wood

by Chris J. Ueberall



Back to The Council, The Mountain or The Mine

* * *

"This is Lothlórien, isn't it?" Buck asked, his eyes on the Elf he carried. His axe and shield were slung over his shoulder.

"Yes." Josiah nodded.

"Then shouldn't there be sentinels or guards?" Naithan wondered, following the warrior's train of thought.

"There are," Vin replied. "They know we're here."

"Yes, we do," a female voice told them and suddenly they found themselves surrounded by Elves, who pointed arrows at them.

Only Crys and the Ranger had been quick enough to draw their own weapons, but they were outnumbered by far.

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all," Buck muttered, feeling very vulnerable, and wishing Ezra were with Josiah, so that he'd have his hands free.

"Yes, maybe we should turn back," Naithan agreed.

"You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back," the same Elf told them.

Vin lowered his bow and smiled towards the dark-haired Elf-maid who had spoken. "Inez o Lórien," he greeted her in Elvish. "We've come here for help. Ezra has been hurt, and we all could do with some rest."

A small gesture of the She-Elf and the other Elves put away their weapons. Swiftly she walked up to Bucklin and looked at the unconscious man he held in his arms. Gently she touched Ezra's forehead, then her hand glided over his neck and chest.

"Oh, Windbrother," she whispered in Elvish, "what has happened to you?" In the common speech she said: "We'll take him to our healers."

At once another Elf came forward to free the warrior from his burden, but Buck shook his head. "I'll carry him."

Surprised, Inez looked at Buck, then nodded and turned to Vin. "The rest of you will go on. The Lady is waiting."

"I'd like to accompany you," Naithan put in, stepping closer to Buck and Ezra. "I'm a healer. I can tell your healers what happened and what I gave him."

Her gaze lingered questioningly on the Wose for a moment. "Very well, if that is your wish." Again she looked to the Ranger. "I know you and the Wizard have been here before, but I advise you to follow Haldir's lead. After all, we don't want any of you to get lost."

Josiah and Vin bowed lightly to the Elf-maid, who then turned and led Buck and Naithan down a narrow path.

"This way," a tall blond Elf told them, pointing deeper into the wood.

Jeidy hesitated, his gaze on his guardian.

"Come on, boy," Crys laid a hand on his shoulder. "They'll be all right."

"But ..."

"They'll take care of Ezra, Jeidy," Vin said, smiling at the young man. "And the others will rejoin us soon. Everything will be all right."

"If you say so." Jeidy accepted this with a sigh. He knew, of course that Vinterrin wouldn't leave Ezra alone if there was any danger, still he felt lost without his friend and mentor. Nervously his hand went to the ring he carried around his neck. This gesture had become a habit of his that for some strange reason gave him confidence and calmed him.

<Jeidy.>

Suddenly a female voice was whispering his name. He looked around, but then realized that the voice spoke inside his head.

<You bring great evil, Ringbearer.>

Jeidy swallowed. He remembered the Elf-witch Naithan had talked about, the voice had to be hers.

"Are you all right?" Crys asked, seeing his distress.

He nodded, there was no point in saying anything, they were already in her hand, there was nothing the captain or the others could do. They would have to face her. 'He' had to face her.

 

The four men followed Haldir deeper into the wood, and what had been an old, but not overly strange forest before suddenly became a magical place. Gigantic trees glowing in a soft, warm light greeted the travellers.

"Lórien," the Ranger said quietly.

In awe Crys and Jeidy stared at the city in the trees; so beautifully intertwined were the homes of the Elves with the forest that sometimes one couldn't tell where the trees ended and where the artificial work began.

Silently they ascended a silver stairway that wound itself around a trunk.

After a while the captain peered down and swallowed heavily, immediately stepping closer to the trunk.

Lifting an eyebrow, Vin looked at his companion questioningly. "Are you all right?"

Crys smiled self-consciously. "I seem to have developed a problem with heights," he said, trying to keep his eyes from looking down again. "You know, from what Ezra said I thought Elves would have banisters."

The Ranger looked at the small silver poles that were placed every six steps on the outer side of the stairway and had to admit that this could hardly be called a banister. "I'm sure Ez has pointed that out more than once when he was here, it's one of the reasons he prefers to stay at Rivendell or Fourcorners. He likes the comforts of Men, their tables, chairs and beds. Especially their beds." Vin grinned. "I'm more Elf than he is in that regard. I'm content with the beds Mother Nature provides."

"No offense, but I'm with Ezra," Crys admitted, wondering if they were expected to sleep in one of the tree-houses.

As if reading his thoughts Vin spoke again. "Visitors sleep on the ground. It's safer."

"Safer?" Jeidy piped in. "For them or us?"

"Both," Josiah explained before anyone else could. "The Elves are very private people, and they don't want strangers strolling around their homes. And they don't want people strolling around at night and falling from a tree, either."

Jeidy nodded, he could see the point.

 

By then they had reached a platform and Haldir bowed slightly towards a She-Elf who descended another stairway. "Maudriel o Lórien," he announced, "the Lady of the Wood." She was ageless as only Elves can be and was dressed in the finest garments imaginable. A silver halo surrounded her body, projecting an otherworldly beauty.

Crystan suppressed a sneer. She was all air and no substance. Oh, he didn't doubt that she was powerful, but her appearance was meant for deception alone. What she thought or truly wanted she would never give away. Even now, although she was smiling, her eyes were cold as she measured her visitors.

Crys looked at his companions. Jeidy was obviously impressed, while Josiah's face showed pure adoration. The Captain of Gondor all but groaned, the last thing they needed was a lovelorn Wizard. His gaze fell on Vin and from his expression he could tell that the Ranger was even less impressed by the Elven-Queen than he was.

"Josiah, it is good to see you again." Maudriel smiled at the Wizard, then nodded a silent greeting at the others. "Though I wished the reason for your visit was one not so grave."

"You know why we're here?" Crys asked.

The Lady of the Wood glared at him, but nodded. "Of course. The seven of you have taken a burden of great weight upon your shoulders. Everyone looks at you, for our fate lies with your fellowship."

Crys didn't like what he heard. The last thing he wanted was everyone looking at them, after all, their only chance of succeeding was due to the secrecy of their plan. He wondered how the Elven-Queen had been informed and who else knew of their mission?

"The quest stands upon the edge of a knife," Maudriel said, almost echoing the captain's thoughts. "Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all."

She looked at the Ranger. "Vinterrin, son of Aragorn, it seems you have finally accepted the responsibility you have shunned for so long. It is about time that the true heir of Gondor takes back his throne." As she spoke she looked from Vin to Crystan, as if to gauge his reaction.

The captain didn't even blink. Did she really expect that information to be new to him? Was he supposed to be outraged that a man who could ask for his allegiance walked among them? It almost seemed as if the queen wanted to sow the seeds of discord into their group.

"My feelings concerning the throne of Gondor haven't changed," Vin replied coldly. "This quest may decide the future of Middle-earth, as you said yourself, that is more than enough reason for taking it up."

"So you are aiming for glory, and you drag my son along for your protection, is that it? Tell me, how can it be that of the seven of you only Ezra is seriously wounded? And will you let him go now?" Maudriel looked dark and dangerous as she stepped closer to the Ranger. "Or what else must happen? Do you want him dead? Will you be satisfied then?"

Vin was shaking with suppressed fury, his hands clenched into fists. His eyes flashed blue lightning at the Elf and his voice was a low growl as he spoke. "Ezra is his own man, Maude, he makes his own decisions as you know very well. And I'll let him go if 'he' asks me to, not you. Never you."

"I didn't know Ezra was your son," Josiah interrupted what was fast becoming a private battle between the Elven-Queen and the Ranger.

The She-Elf looked at the Wizard with something akin to surprise on her face, as if she had forgotten that he was there. Then, almost instantly, the anger left her eyes and a smile appeared. "Ezra is seldom here, he prefers to discover the world beyond my realm. So it is possible that you two never met while you visited, and there was no reason why his name should be mentioned in our conversations."

Crys shook his head. He couldn't imagine that a mother wouldn't at least once mention her son when talking to an old acquaintance; he remembered that he had been so full of stories about his son that some people had even asked him to stop.

Retreating from the memory Crys turned to Vin and laid a hand on his friend's shoulder. The Ranger looked at him, then nodded, answering the unvoiced question.

Are you all right?

I will be.

Suddenly Maudriel seemed to remember her manners as a host and smiled politely at them. "Go now and rest, for you are weary and worried. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Your companions will join you soon, and tonight you will sleep in peace."

She gestured to Haldir, who immediately started down the stairway again. Without a further word Vin followed the Elf, Crys at his side, the captain's hand still on his shoulder.

Jeidy waited impatiently for Josiah to say his good-bye. It was fairly obvious that the Wizard didn't want to part company with the queen, but the young man wasn't sharing his feelings. He had been thoroughly impressed by Maudriel, who seemed larger than life to him. But that didn't mean he wanted to talk to her, more the opposite actually. She gave him the feeling of being unworthy and insignificant, and all he wanted was to leave her presence.

Deciding that Josiah would need more time Jeidy slipped past the Wizard toward the stairs. Just as he stepped on it, he heard the voice in his head again, and although it didn't say anything threatening he felt a chill run down his back.

<Welcome, Jeidy, son of Count Dunne. One who wears a Ring.>

Without a backward glance he hurried after Crys and Vin.

 

Back on the ground, trying to make themselves comfortable at their Elven appointed place, Jeidy felt a great relief when Bucklin and Naithan finally rejoined them.

"Buck!" Jeidy all but ran into the arms of his guardian.

"Hi, boy. Missed me?" The warrior grinned and affectionately ruffled through the young man's hair.

Jeidy shook his head. "I was just afraid you'd angered some Elf and I had to get you out of their prison," he grinned.

"Nearly came to that," Naithan put in before Buck could answer. "I swear Inez was sharpening her knife."

"You got that all wrong, Naithan, she likes me. She just couldn't surrender too fast. Appearances and such things."

Vin chuckled. He knew Inez well enough, if the Elf was interested in something she didn't hesitate to get it. "Let him have his illusions, Naithan," he told the Wose in a loud whisper. Then he asked earnestly, "How is Ezra?"

"He'll be all right," Naithan smiled. "The Elf-healers are amazing, they can do things with their magic in one day that all my potions wouldn't be able to do in a year. They repaired the damage inside of him through touch alone. Don't ask me how, but it worked." The healer was almost beaming. "Of course he's still in a lot of pain and will need to rest for a while, but the worst is over, he will live."

"That's good." Crys smiled relieved and looked at Vin who had his eyes closed as in silent prayer.

"Did you know that Ezra is the son of the Lady of the Wood?" Jeidy asked his guardian, remembering how surprised he had been by the news.

"He is?" Naithan seemed shocked, while Buck frowned for a moment then grinned.

"He did say he was the Prince of the Wood, should've listened," the warrior commented, then lightly hit the Wose's arm. "Is it me or do you feel a little bit unworthy, too, in this assembly of lords, kings, princes and mighty sorcerers? I've got the feeling I should bow all the time."

"It is you," Naithan replied, mirroring Buck's mischievous expression. "As a healer I'm almost as powerful as our clan-chief. So I'm a kind of lord, too."

"You are?" Buck's face showed his disbelief.

"Yes."

"Sure?"

"Yes." Naithan tried to look solemn but failed.

"So I should bow to you?"

"Ehm ... yes."

"All right." Buck bowed deeply, then suddenly stepped forward and threw the Wose over his shoulder. "I think your bath is ready, Lord Healer," he announced and carried the dark man towards a small pond.

"Bucklin! Don't you dare!" Under the laughter of the other men Naithan tried to escape the warrior's grip. "I'll poison your next meal! You won't impress any woman ever again, I swear!"

The last threat finally showed success, as Buck came to a halt abruptly. "You wouldn't," he all but squealed.

"Try me," Naithan growled.

"You're evil, Naithan," the warrior said, putting the healer back on his feet. "Truly evil." Buck's mien, that still reflected his shock at the healer's threat, had their companions howling with merriment. Especially Jeidy, who sat on the ground, holding his sides.

For a short moment all the perils past and the dangers lying ahead were forgotten.

Naithan winked at the guardian, then turned back to their friends. "The healers also gave me something to treat our wounds and promised to replenish my potions. This is something for your burns, Josiah." He held up a small bottle with an oily fluid. "And this is something for our bruises." Another, larger bottle was shown.

Everyone sighed in relief, none of them had stayed unharmed in their battles and with seven men to treat, Naithan had quickly run out of medicine.

"Let's take a bath first," Crys suggested, pointing at the water. "I'd like to get the smell of Moria off me, if possible."

"I couldn't agree more." Josiah nodded.

And one by one they shed their clothes and went into the clear pond.

 

Some time later Vinterrin wandered through their camp to find Crystan at the edge of it, wide awake staring into the twilight of the wood.

"You can take some rest. These borders are well protected," Vin told him, sitting down next to him.

"I will find no rest here," Crys sighed. "I hear that voice inside my head, it speaks of my father and the fall of Gondor. It tells me to leave for Minas Tirith and forget about destroying the Ring. That my duty lies with my people."

"You are doing this for your people," the Ranger reminded him. "The armies of Sauron are unstoppable. They can be held back only for a time. Our only hope lies in destroying the Ring, because Sauron lives only as long as it exists."

"You really believe that, don't you?" The Captain of Gondor looked at his friend. "You tell me that there is hope left, but I can't see it. It is hard to believe in the power of such a small thing, when you are used to weighing your power in men and weapons. My father looks at me to restore the glory of Gondor. And for a long time that was all that I was aiming for. But now I'm not so sure of what to do anymore." Crys stopped and stared into the distance, obviously seeing something else than the silver trees glowing in the dark.

"Have you ever seen it, Vin? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?" Crys swallowed, his gaze darkened. "I wanted my son to inherit that, to call the city his, not just as a steward, but as a king. And now he will never even run along the winding streets, or cheer to the trumpets when I get home." He shook his head as if to clear it from the memories and gazed at Vin.

For a moment Vin didn't understand the question in his companion's eyes, but then he remembered what the other had asked.

"I have seen the White City. More than once. It is beautiful." He nodded.

"One day, our path will lead us there," Crys said quietly, sudden determination in his voice, "and the tower guards shall take up the call: The Lords of Gondor have returned."

The Ranger sighed. He really didn't want to go there. "Maudriel would be glad to hear that, I'm sure."

The blond raised his eyebrows. "There's a lot of bad blood between you and ... her."

"She thinks I'm not good enough for Ezra. Or shall we say, not good enough for her. If I took the throne of Gondor, now that would be different, but since I'm not interested in it, and told her so ..." He shook his head. It was an old argument, not so much between him and Maude, as - he knew - between Ezra and his mother. He had never really taken it to heart and wouldn't start now, but there had been other barbs in the Elven-Queen's speech, which had stung.

"She's right about one thing though, I could get Ezra killed," he said in a whisper, his eyes on the ground. "He's supposed to live forever and I nearly killed him."

"You didn't do anything. The Cave-Troll nearly killed him," Crys contradicted.

"He was there because of me. She's right, he follows me on this ... suicidal mission. If he dies, it is my fault!" He jumped up and started to pace. "He's immortal, he could live forever and I drag him into this. He could die, because ..."

"Stop it!" The captain rose and grabbed the Ranger's arm. "This is stupid nonsense! And you know it!"

Blue eyes gazed at Crys defiantly.

"This is guilt speaking, Vin, and fear. Ezra's injury isn't your fault. Believe me, Vin, I know what you're feeling. But taking the blame isn't helping. You didn't force Ezra to accompany us. It was his decision. And if he did it because he loves you, then it doesn't make it his decision any less."

Tears welled up in the Ranger's eyes. "I almost lost him. He almost died, he died!" A shudder ran through Vin as the realization finally hit him. "It hurts."

"I know." Fighting his own pain Crystan pulled his friend into a tight embrace. Vin's arms went around him, as the slightly shorter man cried against his shoulder.

"He didn't breathe, he didn't breathe ..."

"I know, I know." Drawing small circles on Vin's back, Crys tried to soothe the troubled man. "But he isn't dead. He didn't leave you. Ezra is still alive."

After a while the crying came to an end, but still the men held on.

"It hurts so much, even the thought of losing him seems unbearable," Vin said suddenly, breaking the silence, but not their embrace. "Ez could live forever."

Crys didn't react, he realized that the Ranger was just voicing his thoughts aloud.

"I'm only a Half-Elf, and the human blood of my father runs strong in me, I will die eventually. I don't want Ez to feel this pain."

"There is nothing you can do to prevent it," the captain murmured, his eyes moist. "You can only live each day to the fullest and hope that the memories will get you or him through life afterwards."

Tilting his head back, Vin looked into Crys' face and found love and understanding in his expression. Without conscious thought he leaned forward and touched the warrior's lips with his.

 

"Oh, this is someone who knows exactly how to overthrow any possible opposition. I'm impressed by his tactics. Although I'm sorry for your loss, Ezra." With a false smile Maudriel looked up from the small bowl in front of her and motioned to her son to come closer and take a look himself.

With a sigh, Ezra complied. The one thing he truly hated about his birthplace was the lack of privacy. Maude's way of using any bowl to spy on everyone, especially her son and guests, had made him leave Lothlórien as soon as he had felt confident enough to be on his own, and to return only for very brief visits.

"What are you talking about, Mother?" he asked as he left his sickbed to look into the bowl of water which magically showed everything or everyone within the Elven-Queen's realm she wanted to see.

"I'm talking about Vinterrin, Ezra. It seems to me that he and the Captain of Gondor are very close. Don't you think so, my dear?"

"They are good friends. Why?" Ezra didn't even blink as he watched his lover and Crystan Larabee in a close embrace. Even as they kissed each other he didn't allow the pain he felt inside to fester or grow. He had lived for hundreds of years, thousands even and he knew all about love and lust, about feelings and failings. Such a kiss meant nothing in itself.

He knew that Vin loved him, and he couldn't fault him for being attracted to the man from Gondor, after all, Ezra had felt Crys' charismatic pull himself.

"Vin is his own man, Mother, and Crystan is very handsome."

"Are you not angry?" Maude asked.

"Why should I be? It is only a kiss."

"He is intimate behind your back, he is betraying you." The She-Elf looked inquiringly at her son. "Certainly this scene speaks for itself."

"No, it doesn't, Mother. It is just a picture, which I will not blow out of proportion. I'm not seeing and certainly I'm not hearing anything that speaks of betrayal."

"Then I shall make you listen." With that Maudriel waved her hand over the bowl and suddenly they could hear voices coming from it.

 

"Thank you," Vinterrin said, loosening the embrace. "I needed that. But ..."

"But it should have been Ezra and not me," Crystan interrupted, one of his hands leaving the Ranger's back and gently grabbing his chin. "I know."

"I wish I could leave him here," Vin said, stepping back.

 

Triumphantly Maudriel looked up, but Ezra's expression showed nothing of the inner turmoil he felt. Those words hurt, but he wouldn't give his mother the satisfaction of seeing it.

Vin wanted him to stay here? Wanted to leave him? He didn't understand, it didn't make sense. Vin loved him ...

 

"Here? Do you really want to leave him 'here'?" Crys asked, a grin on his face. "I thought you love him."

"Maybe not here. But Rivendell or Fourcorners. He would be safe there. I couldn't stand to lose him. It was too close this time."

"I know, Vin, but I'm certain that Ezra feels just the same. He knows you're mortal and yet he doesn't stop you from heading into danger. He won't stay behind, like you wouldn't stay behind if your places were reversed. That's what love is about. You must accept it." Crys straightened and put one hand on the Ranger's shoulder. "And besides, the way things are now, who knows where it is safe and where not. No one can be certain to live through tomorrow. This way, at least, you'll be together if something happens. I didn't have that chance with my wife and son." He dropped his hand and looked aside, trying to rein in his emotions.

"I'm sorry," Vin whispered and stepped forward, throwing an arm around the man from Gondor. "I'm sorry."

 

"Give them some privacy, Mother," Ezra all but ordered, coldly looking at her. Crystan's pain had touched him deeply, still he felt like cheering, his inner turmoil replaced by amused satisfaction. He had almost laughed in Maude's face as Vin had explained why he wanted to leave Ezra behind. Oh, Vin, I love you.

The Elven-Queen waved over the bowl and the scene faded away, only to be replaced by another. A young man strolling through one of the ground gardens.

A spark lit up in Maudriel's eyes and with another wave of her hand the image disappeared. "I think I shall leave you now to rest, my dear. I will see you later." With that she rose and left him alone.

Ezra sighed deeply. He could guess what her next move would be and he didn't like it at all. All the power of Lothlórien at her hand and still she wanted more.

How often had she asked him to convince Vinterrin to take the throne of Gondor? Everytime they had visited? And no matter how often he had refused or tried to tell her that, even with Vin on the throne, he and therefore she wouldn't have any power there, she would ask again. She didn't listen, she never listened. If she wanted something, she would do anything to get it.

Usually he just ignored her, but this time he had to interfere. For the safety of them all.

"Inez," he called and almost immediately the Elf-maid appeared.

"Yes, Ezra?"

"Please, send for Josiah, I know he wanted to speak to me. Please, it is somehow urgent."

She nodded and was gone without a sound.

Ezra leaned back and allowed his aching body to relax. He would play by Maude's rules, but not her game. She should be so proud of him - or not. He smiled.

 

Jeidy couldn't sleep. The beauty of Lothlórien and the ugliness of the events in Moria had his mind reeling with different images. Josiah's fall, the power of the Elven-Queen, Ezra nearly dying, the calmness of the giant trees ...

He stopped in front of a dry silver basin. There was a small well nearby that didn't reach the basin, instead a ewer stood next to it. It seemed strange.

Suddenly, he could feel another's presence, he looked up. It was the Lady of the Wood, still surrounded by light, but not as imposing as she had been before. She smiled at him.

"Will you look into the mirror?" she asked, coming closer.

"What mirror?" He didn't have the slightest idea what she was talking about.

"This," she pointed at the basin, "is a mirror. Do you want to look into it?"

"What will I see?" The truth was that Jeidy wasn't interested at all, but he didn't dare to be impolite.

"Even the wisest cannot tell. For the mirror shows many things. Things that were, things that are and some things that have not yet come to pass." As she was speaking Maudriel filled the ewer with water and then poured the water into the silver basin.

"Come, Ringbearer, take a look."

Hesitantly Jeidy obeyed. At first he saw only water in a basin, as could be expected, but then an image appeared. It was Ezra, jumping in front of him. Then the image changed to Josiah falling into the abyss. Next he saw Naithan and Ezra engaged in a fight. And then Crys tumbling to the ground with three arrows sticking out of his chest. Jeidy screamed in terror, as the next picture was of a powerful Orc slashing his sword across Buck's chest and his guardian crumbling to the ground, lifeless.

"No!" Jeidy jumped back from the basin. "No! Tell me that will not happen!" He looked at the Elven-Queen, scared beyond measure.

Maudriel gazed at him pitifully. "I know what you saw, for it is also in my mind. It is what will come to pass if you should fail. The fellowship is breaking. It has already begun. He will try to take the Ring. You know of whom I speak. One by one it will destroy them all."

Jeidy felt a shiver run down his back. One of his friends would try to take the Ring from him? But who? Ezra? Or Crys? Had that been Elven arrows in his chest? He had never felt so shaken and uncertain before. Did that mean he should leave the others and go alone?

"I cannot do this alone?" he said quietly.

"You are a ringbearer, Jeidy. To bear a Ring means to be alone. But this task should not have been appointed to you." The Elf sighed and gently touched his head. "This burden was not meant for one as young and fragile as you. No mortal can withstand the power of the Ring forever."

Did that mean it would be his fault if his friends died? Crystan. Buck. Oh no, Buck!

"We should not have shunned the responsibility. It is, after all, ours and not yours."

Slowly Maudriel's words were penetrating through his muddled thoughts. The Ring was made by Sauron, an immortal Wizard, how could Jeidy - a mere Human boy - even think to take up such a task as destroying the Ring. How could he have been so stupid, so proud? And all those brave men who followed him, who protected him ... They would die. Because of him, because he was just a weak mortal boy. He grabbed the Ring and pulled it from its chain.

How he hated that thing, all he wanted to do was to get rid of it.

He looked at the Elven-Queen. She was powerful, immortal, a witch. She would know what to do with the Ring.

Decision made he held the Ring in front of her.

"If you would take it, I will give you the One Ring."

Something he couldn't quite decipher flickered over her face. Then her expression was one of wistfulness, as if she was preparing herself for taking on a great burden.

"You show a wisdom far beyond your years," Maudriel said quietly, "as you offer it to me freely. I know your heart greatly desires to be parted from the responsibility, and I will not let you down as others have."

She reached for the Ring.

"Maude!" The booming voice of Josiah the Grey froze the Elven-Queen in mid-motion and let Jeidy jump back a little, his hand closing to a fist around the Ring.

"Josiah!" The Elf whirled around. "What do you want?" Her tone was almost hostile, but the Wizard seemed oblivious to it.

"Just to see you, and to spend some time with you. You know how much I cherish your company." Then he seemed to see Jeidy for the first time. "Oh, son. I apologize, if I interrupted anything."

"You didn't," Maudriel and Jeidy said in unison. Then looked at each other somehow in surprise.

"We will speak about this again later," the Elven-Queen said, smiling at the young man.

Jeidy shook his head. "No, I don't think so." He couldn't believe what he had been about to do. How could he be such a coward and try to get rid of his task by burdening another with it? A woman who had been so kind to him. "I must fullfill my duty, Lady. I thank you, but it is my destiny and I cannot hide from it."

He bowed to her and Josiah, then fled the vicinity. He would find a way to protect his friends, and if that meant that he had to go to Mordor alone, then he would do it.

 

Ezra's chest seemed to burst, but he couldn't stop himself from laughing so hard that he nearly fell into the bowl in front of him. His mother's expression - when Josiah's appearance had stopped her just in reach of her goal - had been priceless, even if it had only lasted for the blink of an eye. The Wizard's timing had been perfect.

Gasping for air, as much because of his laughter as from the pain in his chest, Ezra finally succeeded in controlling his merriment.

"Are you all right, Ez?" a worried voice asked and then Vin sat down beside him.

"Yes, I am." He smiled at the Ranger and leaned into the offered embrace. "I just watched one of Maude's plans dissolve into nothing and it brightened my day."

Vin looked at the bowl. "You're into spying, too, now?" His tone made it clear how much he disliked the idea.

"Only at her, beloved, and only to prevent evil from happening." Ezra turned to his mate. "How are you?"

"I'm well. I wasn't the one who nearly died." Vin swallowed. "You scared me."

"I know." Softly Ezra caressed his companion's cheek. "But I'm still here. And my love will never leave you."

Vin sighed and leaned his forehead against his lover's shoulder. "I kissed Crys," he whispered. "I needed someone and ... he was there."

"It's all right." Ezra held him gently. "I understand." Then a mischievous expression crossed the Elf's face. "And?"

"And?" His friend looked at him questioningly.

"How was he? Is he a good kisser?" Ezra wanted to know, his eyes wide and innocent.

The Ranger shook his head then grinned. "Yes, he is. But ..." Vin took his friend's face between his hands, "... you're better. He can't compete with you."

Green eyes sparkled in the dim light. "Good to know."

Then they kissed, gently at first, then more passionately, pouring their love into each other.

Finally they separated and Vin's head returned to Ezra's shoulder. "I'm sorry," he said quietly.

Knowing that the Ranger was still talking about his kissing Crys, Ezra shook his head. "There is no reason, my spirit. I understand the temptation that Crystan provides, and the bond between you two is almost tangible. I also know that you love me, as I love you. But that doesn't mean you couldn't or shouldn't let another one into your heart." He kissed the younger one's cheek and continued. "And it lifts a great burden from 'my' heart to know that there will be someone for you to turn to, if something happened to me."

"Ez, no!" Vin reeled back as if hit and stared at his lover bewildered. "I could never ..."

"Vin." Ezra's earnest voice stopped him. "I want you to live, I want you to love. Crystan would understand, and he ... deserves a second chance at love and happiness too."

Blue eyes burned with unshed tears as Vinterrin remembered the pain of the captain and his own helplessness at comforting him. He breathed deeply, thinking over Ezra's words. The Elf seldom said anything without due consideration, it always made sense to follow his advice, no matter how strange the idea seemed in the first place.

He looked at his friend. "Will you turn to Crys if something happens to me?" he asked, and got his answer in the way Ezra looked to the side rather than met his eyes. "Oh no," he said sternly, turning his lover's face so that their gazes locked. "I need to know that you're not alone if I die, just as you need me to be happy. It works both ways, Ez."

The Elf smiled. "So young and so wise." He leaned forward slightly. "But you're right," he whispered against his mate's lips, before he kissed him again. Only to hiss and jerk back as the movement proved to be too much for his still healing wounds.

"Ez?" Worried Vin grabbed his shoulders.

"It is nothing."

"You should be resting. You shouldn't sit here, looking into bowls or discussing the future with me. You should be in bed sleeping." The Ranger all but pulled his friend up and led him back to the bed.

Looking up from his soft bed of furs and silk, Ezra patted the place beside him invitingly.

"I shouldn't," Vin shook his head. "You're supposed to be resting."

"I trust you to restrain yourself, and there is room enough for both of us." Ezra grinned. "Besides, shouldn't you watch over me? I might get up and do something ... strenuous otherwise, couldn't I?"

Vin smiled and slipped under the cover. "If you put it that way, then I'd better stick close to you."

"Yes, you better." Ezra smiled and arranged himself comfortably against his mate. "I love you," he said.

"The same here," Vin whispered back and wrapped his arms around his beloved, for the moment believing in the illusion that tomorrow would never come.

* * *

Concluded in The Battle

 


Challenges * Home * Stories