The Magnificent Fellowship of the Ring

Chapter 3: The Mine

by Chris J. Ueberall



Back to The Council or The Mountain

* * *

"This is the back entrance certainly?" Ezra asked, his eyes on the dark lake that was only a few feet away from their path. He felt trapped, for with Josiah, Naithan and Vin in front of him, the others behind him and the mountain to his left he would have no place to maneuver in case of an attack. It was only of little consolation that no army of Orcs would fit on this path either, there was still the possibility of falling rocks, and Goblins were known to climb steep walls, and there was always the water ... He had a bad feeling about the lake.

"What makes you think that?" Jeidy wanted to know.

It was Buck who answered. "Because no army would be able to march here and which Lord or Lady do you know who'd travel without most of their household?"

To that the young man nodded in agreement as he tried to imagine his father on this trail and failed.

"Don't mock what you don't know, Elf," Naithan said, turning around to look at Ezra and then pointedly at Jeidy. "This path may not look like much, but soon we will meet Balin, son of Fundin, who is the Lord of Moria and known for his hospitality."

Ezra rolled his eyes. "The hospitality of Dwarves ... how ... cosy that sounds from your lips, Master Wose. I just hope the friendship of your people and the Dwarves is as true as you think it is, for otherwise we might encounter a kind of hospitality that fares ill with our health."

"What does he mean?" Confused Jeidy turned to his guardian.

Buck grinned. "He means usually people don't like it when strangers come through their back door unannounced."

"They might attack us," Jeidy concluded.

"I believe that to be a possibility indeed." Ezra smiled towards the warrior and his protégé, then turned back to the angry glare of the Wose. "But of course I hope to be wrong."

Naithan frowned, but said nothing, just resumed his walk.

"We have arrived," Vin announced and nodded towards a point on the wall that was framed by two big trees. Here the path had widened far enough for them to rest by sitting down on some big rocks scattered between the mountain and the lake.

"I see no gate," Jeidy said, looking questioningly at the Wizard.

Josiah smiled. "Not yet, but you will." He walked towards the wall and then looked up to the cloudy sky. "A little magic will help here," he murmured, raising his staff. A wind came up and blew the clouds away so that they could see the stars and the full moon above them.

"There is a pattern on the wall now!" Jeidy jumped excited. "It looks like a painted golden gate."

"That is ithildin, it mirrors only starlight and moonlight," Josiah explained, then pointed at a writing above the door. "That's the key to get in."

"Can you read it?" Buck wanted to know. "Because my Dwarvish isn't the best and I couldn't read it if my life depended on it."

"Then it is a good thing that our lives don't depend on your language skills, Warrior," Ezra commented with a smile. "For to begin with, that is Elvish, as beautiful in writing as it is in sound and not at all as crude as the runes of the Dwarves."

"So it may look nice, but I still can't read it." Buck shrugged unimpressed.

Ezra sighed.

"What does it say, Ezra?" Crys asked, breaking the silence he had kept for hours.

"It reads ...", the Elf started, but Josiah interrupted him.

"The Gates of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter."

"What do you suppose it means?" Jeidy looked to Ezra, who was about to answer, but Josiah's voice drowned his.

"Simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors open."

"Oh." Impressed, the young man looked up to the Wizard and then to the door, thereby missing the shadow that briefly crossed Ezra's expression and the brisk movement with which he turned away to sit on a large rock, his back to the door, his eyes on the lake.

Sending an angry glare towards Josiah, Vin walked over to his friend and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. Ezra didn't look up, but relaxed under the touch.

With narrowed eyes Crys turned his gaze away from the lovers to the Wizard, whose rude behaviour had not gone unnoticed by the captain. "Since you are so well-acquainted with this door, I expect you know the password, Wizard?" he asked coldly.

Surprised by the tone Josiah looked at the man from Gondor and nodded, only to amend that with a shrug. "I don't know, but I have a fair idea of possible passwords," he explained. "Don't worry." And he turned back to the gate and began to recite one word after another, without effect.

"Shouldn't the password be in Dwarvish?" Jeidy wanted to know, realising that Josiah spoke Elvish. "I mean the mines belong to Dwarves, don't they? Why is the writing in Elvish anyway? I didn't think Dwarves would speak Elvish?"

"It's from the times when Elves and Dwarves were close friends, working together to create the most beautiful jewels, weapons, armour, statues, even whole halls," Crys said, when it became clear that Josiah was too busy to answer and that Ezra wouldn't.

"I didn't know they were friends once, I thought they didn't like each other." Jeidy sounded confused, but curious.

"It was a long time ago," Buck said, laying a hand on his young friend's shoulder. "A very long time ago."

"You may as well sit down and rest," Josiah suggested suddenly, "This may take a while, it is not one of the more common passwords."

Down by the lake Vin and Ezra exchanged a disbelieving look.

"And here I thought the instruction to be fairly easy," the Ranger whispered, earning himself a blinding smile from the Elf.

"Oh, it is." Still smiling, Ezra closed his eyes and leaned against his lover. "But a rest won't hurt anyone."

"What if he doesn't get it open?" Jeidy asked his guardian, while letting some pebbles jump over the water.

"Then we'll have a problem," Buck replied, likewise throwing pebbles into the lake.

"Isn't there a way to knock somehow?" Jeidy questioned Naithan, and then Josiah when the Wizard paused to think of another word to try.

"Knock on a door made of solid rock?" Naithan shook his head. "How should that work?"

"I don't want anyone to know we are here, son," Josiah explained. "As I mentioned before there are dangerous things in the Mines of Moria, things we don't want to disturb."

"Disturb seems apropos," Ezra said quietly, "Would you, please, refrain from disturbing the water? You never know what lies beneath the surface."

As if his words had been a cue suddenly the water seemed to boil.

"Your warning's a little late," Crys observed, unsheathing his sword.

The others, too, prepared their weapons, while they retreated as far as possible from the edge of the lake.

"Maybe we should take our rest inside," Ezra murmured and left his rock to loudly address the still closed door with the Elven word for friend: "Mellon!" Immediately the ithildin began to glow and the door started to open.

"You knew the word?" Josiah asked, unbelieving. "Why didn't you tell us?"

Ezra just shrugged, but Vin looked at the Wizard angrily. "You seemed to have all the answers, Josiah. Even though you had none. Why didn't you ask?"

"I ..." Josiah began, but stopped himself, when something that looked like a gigantic octopus rose from the depth of the lake, twelve strong tentacles flailing through the air.

"Run now, talk later!" Bucklin's advice sounded like a good idea and as one they turned to the mine and ran towards the door. Four of them had already reached it, when Jeidy's cry stopped them cold.

"Aaahhhh! Buck! Help me!"

"Jeidy!" Wielding his axe the guardian ran straight into the lake to cut the beast's arm that had grabbed the boy and was pulling him into the water.

Crystan was with him in an instant, but the moment they had cut Jeidy loose, another tentacle wrapped itself around his legs again and lifted him from the ground. Others attacked the warriors.

"Buck!"

"Hold on! I'm coming!" Buck assured his charge, hacking at the tentacles around him to get to his friend.

"Hurry!" Jeidy cried, dangling dangerously close to the open mouth of the beast.

Crys tried his best to reach the boy as well, but then one tentacle curled around his neck and stole his breath.

"Crys!" Exchanging his bow for his sword Vin raced into the water to rescue the captain, Naithan at his side.

"A little magic wouldn't be amiss, Josiah!" Ezra said to the Wizard, his eyes on the creature, looking for a weak spot where his arrows might actually do some harm. There! Two arrows flew straight into the beast's eye.

A roar thundered over the lake and the kraken's arms twitched and flailed erratically, their hold on the Humans lessening.

"Aaaahhaaahhhh!" Jeidy cried in fear as he found himself flying through the air, rushing towards the rocky ground.

Then Josiah was there, catching him, breaking his fall.

In the water Vin and Naithan had freed Crystan and were dragging the barely conscious man to the shore, while Buck made sure that no tentacle got close enough to grab any of them again.

"Into the mine!" Ezra ordered, aiming at the other eye of the creature.

Jeidy untangled himself from Josiah and ran through the door, Vin and Naithan with Crys between them were at his heels, Buck close behind them.

Another pained roar shook the mountain.

"Josiah!" Ezra shouted angrily, when he was almost struck by a tentacle. "Do something!"

The Wizard concentrated and then blue fire flared from his staff and surrounded the kraken. Suddenly there was silence, as the beast was frozen in place.

"Thank you kindly," Ezra said in an ironic tone as they walked into the mountain.

Josiah sighed. "That won't stop it for long," he warned, as the others were about to turn back to take a look. "Let us move deeper into the mine."

The echo of his words hadn't yet faded when they heard the kraken's roar again and then something more solid than the creature's cry shook the mountain. Behind them rocks started to fall and the cave seemed to come down.

"Run!" the Ranger shouted and without a backward glance they hurried deeper into the mine. Behind them the entrance crumbled and was no more.

 

Darkness surrounded them, forced them to stand still, waiting, listening. At first all each could hear was his own heartbeat and breathing, then the shuffling of feet and the harsh breaths of his companions. Finally a light came to life and the seven looked towards the shining crystal on top of the Wizard's staff and then at each other.

"Everyone all right?" Vin asked.

"More or less." Buck grinned and the others nodded.

"How could the Dwarves let such a monster live in front of their door?" Jeidy asked what everyone was wondering. "They could get killed every time they leave."

Searching for an explanation Naithan shrugged. "Maybe they never disturbed the water and therefore don't know about it?"

"I doubt that." The Ranger shook his head. "I'd rather believe it was placed there on purpose."

Buck looked at him bewildered, then nodded. "As a watch-dog it wasn't half bad. Maybe they know how to control it?"

"Or maybe it was not only a back entrance as I suggested, but in fact the side door where the garbage goes out, and we were just poorly mistaken for rubbish by the resident garbage disposal beast," Ezra put in sarcastically.

At that Buck and Vin snickered.

Josiah shook his head. "This discussion gets us nowhere."

Crys nodded. "Let's move."

"Master Dunne you wouldn't by any chance have lost one specific piece of jewelry while dangling above that horrendous creature, would you?" Ezra asked Jeidy, who was hastily checking his pockets.

"No, I still have it!" The boy showed the Ring and then placed it around his neck again. "Guess I was pretty lucky that it didn't fall out."

Ezra sighed at the young man's words. "Luck, young Master, is to survive such a creature out there, luck is to survive an avalanche. Being stuck with that Ring is as far from having luck as I can imagine."

"But ..." Jeidy started, but was hushed by Bucklin.

"When he's right, he's right, boy." The guardian slapped his charge lightly on the shoulder. "The next time we encounter such a beastie just throw the Ring into its jaws."

Jeidy's eyes widened. "You think there're more beasts like that?"

"There are greater evils in Moria than the Kraken," Josiah told him, his face grave. "Let us pray that they don't discover our whereabouts."

"If they are deaf we might have a chance," Vin commented, looking around.

"I'd say we've knocked pretty loud. It sounded like half the mountain came down," Buck stated, grabbing his axe tighter. "If they didn't hear that, they are dead."

"Speaking of being dead ..." Ezra said in a wistful tone. "Naithan, when was the last time, your people actually spoke to a Dwarf from Moria?"

Not sure where this question would lead the Wose turned towards the Elf. "I don't know. Some months, a year, maybe two. Why?"

"Because ...," Ezra started, pointing into the darkness where his keen Elven sight had discovered some corpses, "I fear the hospitality here will be far worse than even I imagined."

"What ...?" Naithan began, but then Josiah increased the light and they all could see the Dwarven skeletons on the path in front of them.

"No." Shocked the Wose stared at the dead, while Vin took a closer look at the arrows sticking from the bodies.

"Orcs," he announced.

"Are Orcs flesh-eaters?" Jeidy asked.

"They are said to be, yes," Ezra replied. "But if those unlucky Dwarves had been a feast for Orcs they wouldn't lie here with their weapons still in hand."

"So the battle must have been a long time ago," Jeidy mused aloud, "or the corpses wouldn't be skeletons by now."

"Not necessarily," the Wizard contradicted, "the air here might erode flesh faster than usual."

"If that is so, then I hope the air knows how to differ between living flesh and dead. Because personally I prefer my flesh 'on' my bones," Ezra said and caught up with the Ranger who was already starting down the tunnel that led out of the place.

"With Orcs around I'd say the air will be the least of our problems," Buck muttered, while motioning to Jeidy to walk in front of him.

Crys nodded in agreement, bringing up the rear.

 

They walked for what seemed aeons through a labyrinth of tunnels, sometimes guided by Josiah's knowledge of the mine, sometimes just following the freshest breeze of air. Then suddenly their tunnel opened into a huge cavern.

"Let me risk a little more light," the Wizard murmured and his crystal flared brightly, showing them a gigantic hall with hundreds of huge columns carrying the ceiling.

"Behold. The great realm of the Dwarven city of Dwarrowdelf," Josiah announced.

"Oh." Jeidy's eyes widened in awe, as did those of his guardian.

"Well, that's an eye-opener and no mistake," Buck said impressed as they walked into it.

"No, there is really no mistake to claim the Dwarves to be the greatest braggarts ever," Ezra said ironically.

"You're just envious, Elf," Naithan snarled at him.

"I'm certainly not." Ezra shook his head. "I admit freely that this is a masterpiece of Dwarven or anyone else's architecture. Yet certainly you must see that this is all it is. Because the whole hall has no purpose, it cannot be used for anything. You cannot assemble any people here - not for holding a market, nor a banquet or any other gathering. The only thing it is good for is to impress visitors so they walk around in awe and say 'oh'."

"He's right," Vin and Crys said in unison, when Naithan opened his mouth to argue.

"It's not made for holding a council, either," the captain added. "So what do you think they did here?"

"I don't know, either. But then I'm not a Dwarf," the Wose wasn't ready to give in.

"And neither are we. So let's not battle over such an unimportant issue," Josiah interfered. "We still have a long way ahead of us."

The others nodded and then silently followed the Wizard through the hall.

 

"What's that?" Buck asked, pointing to a door to their right, and before anyone could answer he was already through it.

With a sigh the others followed him, only to find a room with a tomb surrounded by skeletons.

"There's a writing on it," Buck told them, his eyes on the tomb. "I'd say this time it is Dwarvish.

Josiah took a look and nodded, reading the runes aloud. "Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria."

"He is dead then." Naithan shook his head in mourning.

"I'm sorry." Buck laid a hand on the Wose's shoulder. "You knew him?"

"Yes." Naithan nodded. "He had so many plans; he was so self-assured. I cannot believe he's dead."

"I'd say you have to," Ezra said quietly and not without sympathy. "But we should not linger here or we might join him soon." He looked around, meeting the eyes of the Ranger.

Vin nodded. "I've got a bad feeling, too. We should leave." He turned back to the door, but Jeidy's next words stopped him.

"This one's holding a book." The young warrior pointed at a skeleton leaning against the tomb.

Curious Josiah gave his staff to Jeidy, then knelt beside the Dwarf and took the book from him. Reading quickly over some pages, the Wizard skipped to the last entries and read aloud: "They have taken the bridge, and the second hall. The ground shakes. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. A shadow moves in the dark. Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They are coming." He stopped and looked around. "That's all."

"I cannot believe he sat there holding on to that book instead of taking up a weapon," Buck said with a hint of anger in his voice. "What kind of Dwarf was that?"

"He was probably already mortally wounded," Josiah suggested, standing up and laying the book aside. "It might have been all he was still able to do." Looking for his staff the Wizard saw Jeidy and Crys standing in front of a skeleton that sat on the edge of a well, both men obviously wondering how the Dwarf had come to die in that particular pose.

Feeling naked without his staff Josiah called the young man. "Jeidy."

"What?" Surprised the youngster whirled around, thereby nearly hitting the man from Gondor with the Wizard's staff.

Showing how good his reflexes were, Crys neatly avoided being hit by stepping aside, but unfortunately this action made his shield collide with the skeleton he had been looking at, and so that corpse fell down the well, making enough noise to wake the dead.

When the noise had died down, Jeidy looked sheepishly into the faces of the others, murmuring "Oops".

Crys just glared at the men looking at him, daring them to say a word.

"Boy," Buck sighed, motioning his charge to his side.

Josiah just took his staff back briskly, not saying any of the curses which had sprung to his mind.

"It happens." Vin shrugged, grinning at Crys.

"But we really shouldn't linger here any longer, in case this time someone ..." Ezra never completed his sentence as just then drums started pounding somewhere.

"Guess that means we've been heard," the Ranger said, running to the door. He was barely through it, when he jumped back into the room, yelling "Orcs!" while ducking arrows.

Buck was at his side then, confirming his words, adding: "And they have a Cave-Troll. Great."

He helped the Ranger to shut the door and bar it, then stepped back a little to make his stand to the right side of the door, waiting for the first enemies who would come through. Behind him he could feel Jeidy taking his place, ready to get those who slipped past him.

On the other side Crys took a stand similar to his, with Naithan backing him up. Vin and Ezra stood on the tomb, the Ranger slightly behind the Elf, their bows ready. In front of them on the ground was Josiah, holding his staff like a fighting-stick; he had placed his still shining crystal on the edge of the tomb.

"Orcs don't like light, or so I've heard, maybe we should welcome them with a little more brightness?" Ezra suggested, bending forward a little and lightly tapping Josiah on the shoulder. "A little more light, please?"

The Wizard sighed, then waved with his right hand towards a torch on the wall of the room, instantly it started to burn. He repeated the gesture until every torch was lit, and then, after a dark look towards the Elf increased the light of the crystal.

"Thank you kindly," Ezra smiled at Josiah, then his expression became feral as he looked to the door.

While Josiah had worked his magic, the Orcs had tried to get in, but the strong wooden door wouldn't give way easily, not even as crude blades hacked into it.

The door was still holding, but holes had appeared, not even the size of a woman's fist, but more than large enough for Elven arrows to fly through. Almost as one Vin and Ezra took their aim and soon the death-cries of Orcs could be heard.

For a moment the pounding against the entrance ceased. Then it started again, more vicious even, and everyone of the fellowship knew that it was only a matter of short time before their enemies would break through.

Arrow after arrow the lovers shot through the appearing holes, every shot one Orc less to deal with. Then the door fell in and a wave of ugly bodies poured into the room.

The battle was on.

 

"Jeidy! Go back!" Buck shouted and jumped aside as the Cave-Troll took a swing at him with his mace. Out of the corner of his eye he could see his young friend hide behind a column. Good boy, he thought and hacked at two Orcs who had come too close for comfort.

The fellowship was clearly the group with the superior fighting skills, but they were heavily outnumbered. They were further disadvantaged when a mighty strike from the Troll had destroyed the tomb and Josiah's shining crystal was buried under its remains. Without the extra light their enemies were jostling forward.

Besides the big, ugly, aggressive and stronger Troll was getting in their way of massacring the Orcs. His random attacks forced all of them to look out for him and dodge his swings if possible. It would have dipped the odds in favour of their enemies, if it weren't for the Cave-Troll accidentally killing as many Orcs as they did. Still, the Troll was their main problem at the moment.

"Nothing important there it seems," Ezra muttered disappointed, when his well-placed arrow in the Troll's head didn't even extract a groan.

"Try his eyes!" Jeidy suggested from his hiding place.

"If he'd just look at me for longer than the blink of an eye I would!" Ezra called back, jumping out of harm's way.

Pulling his axe out of a dead Orc, Buck grinned. "Maybe he doesn't like Elves," he shouted over the battle's noise.

"Everyone likes Elves!" Ezra replied, and exchanged his bow for his long knives. With them in hand he faced a group of Orcs, which had made their way around the Troll. "We are most likeable." He slashed at the first one. "Intelligent. Beautiful. Charming. Wise." His every word was punctuated with a stroke against his enemies. "Polite. Helpful. Loveable."

Coming to Ezra's aid, who had just killed off two Orcs, Vin and Buck shared a quick grin, before the Ranger deadpanned: "Deadly."

"Yes, that too." The Elf nodded towards his lover, as they freed themselves of their last opponents.

Taking inventory, the three warriors realized that Naithan was trapped in a corner, but apparently holding his own and in no imminent danger, while Josiah was fighting off a group of Orcs by whirling his staff around as if it was a living thing, thereby sending bodies flying.

It was the Captain of Gondor who was most in peril, for he stood facing the Troll, his shield held in front of him, his sword dripping with Orc blood.

"I hope he has a plan," Ezra whispered, as they watched the mighty arm of the Troll striking at their friend.

It seemed he had, for suddenly Crys let go of his shield and fell to his knees, grabbing his sword with both hands he held it up high, cutting into the Troll's wrist.

With a high wail the Troll let go of his mace and looked at his bleeding arm, then at the man who was already attacking him again. This time Crys aimed for his enemy's chest, slicing his blade across it.

"Good work." Buck whistled admiringly, then stormed over to attack the Troll from behind, Vin at his heels.

Ezra looked around in search of inspiration, or at least a good place from where to shoot. Yes, that might do. Having discovered a niche about nine feet above them, he quickly ran towards the wall, nodded at Jeidy in passing, and started climbing.

Meanwhile Buck had a disagreement with the Troll about the ownership of his axe, which was currently stuck in the Troll's ass.

"Give it back!" the warrior uttered under his breath, pulling at his weapon.

"Let go, Buck!" Crys shouted, while he and Vin were trying to keep the Troll's attention on them. They succeeded insofar, as the Troll had to cast them aside first, before he finally targeted the man at his back.

"Watch out!" Vin warned as he made an attempt to stand again.

Next to him, Crystan also struggled to get to his feet. "Leave it!" the captain ordered, but to no avail.

"Never! I've n..aaaaaaaaahhhh!"

A mighty hand struck Buck and threw him - his axe held fast - against the wall, where he crumbled to the ground.

"Buck!" Ignoring the danger Jeidy left his place and ran towards his guardian. He never made it that far, for a blow from the Troll sent him flying, too. He landed hard on the stones, but recovered fast, when he realized that the Troll was coming after him.

Crawling backwards as quickly as possible, Jeidy passed a skeleton that held a pike. Anger overrode fear and he grabbed the pike and pushed it with all his strength into the Troll's chest.

Again the Cave-Troll cried out, and stepped back, thereby pulling the weapon out of the boy's hand. Then he pulled the pike out of his body, turned it around, so that the head was pointed at Jeidy, and threw it.

"No!" Vin and Crys shouted in unison. They had both tried to get to the Troll before he reached the young man, but were still too far away to do anything.

With wide eyes Jeidy watched the pike coming closer ... suddenly his view was obscured by someone's back ... then this someone was slammed into him with the force of a falling tree, pushing him backwards until he hit the wall.

The air was pressed out of his lungs, but even with his sight fading and shadows ascending upon him, Jeidy was certain that he wasn't dying, that he hadn't truly been hurt. He was not sure about the body in his arms though, which had stopped the pike from piercing him.

Ezra, he thought, then there was only darkness.

 

The horrified shouts of the Ranger and the man from Gondor had everyone looking towards the scene, where Ezra and Jeidy now lay motionless in front of the wall, a pike sticking out beneath their bodies.

"No!" Buck's painful cry echoed those of his friends. He tumbled towards his protégé, tears running down his cheeks. "Jeidy, no, please no!" Like the boy before he had all but forgotten the Troll.

Vin and Crys hadn't. Lost in a haze of fury the latter attacked the Troll without a thought for his own safety, while the Ranger stood almost unmoving, his sword on the ground, the bow in his hands, one arrow ready.

Weakened by the captain's vicious attacks the Troll suddenly stumbled, then stopped for a moment to find his balance. That was all the time Vin needed. His arrow went through the Cave-Troll's eye into his brain. The Troll swayed, fought the inevitable, then fell.

Quickly Crys sprang forward and cut his throat. Even if Trolls were able to heal themselves from any wound, as some tales warned, for the time being at least this one would give them no more grief.

The moment the Troll began to tumble, Josiah and Naithan - having killed the last Orcs - hurried towards their fallen companions, reaching them shortly after Buck.

The warrior had already pulled out his young charge from under the Elf, and was now looking for injuries. In his arms Jeidy began to stir.

"He's alive!" Buck laughed in relief. "Not even hurt, no blood. He's all right." His gaze fell on Ezra and his smile died away. "He saved him," he said. "Sacrificed his own life." Fresh tears ran down his cheeks. Gently he touched the Elf's shoulder. "Thank you."

"I never thought he would do something like that." Naithan shook his head. "I wish we'd had a better start, I ..."

"He's not dead!" Vin interrupted him, his eyes flashing blue lightning, as he ran towards them. "Vin, the pike hit him in his chest, no one could survive that," Crys tried to reason with him, but he knew it was a lost cause. He was scared of what the Elf's death might do to Vinterrin. Although Crys had known Ezra only for a short time, he felt his loss deeply, and he remembered only too well how it felt to lose the person you love. Silently he promised to be there for his friend, hoping it would be enough.

"Vin, I'm sorry, he was ..." Again Naithan wasn't able to finish his sentence, for the Ranger was suddenly there, pushing him away from Ezra.

"He's alive!" Vin growled as he grabbed his lover and turned him onto his back. "See, no blood!" Triumphant he looked around.

Naithan stared at the Elf. "How can that be? The pike should have gone through him."

"He wears a mithril chain-mail," Vin explained with a grin.

"Mithril?" Buck was impressed.

"That explains that there's no blood, but the strength of the blow alone could have damaged some inner organs." The healer caught Vin's gaze and held it. "He's not breathing. He is dead. I'm sorry."

"No!" Vin shook his head, then pulled the unresisting body of his beloved closer to his. "You can't be dead, Ez. You're immortal. You must live!" He laid the body down again, tears streaming down his face. "Live, Ez. Please? For me?" He looked helplessly to Naithan, then at Josiah. "Do some magic, please?" he asked.

The Wizard closed his eyes and shook his head. "I can't raise the dead."

"He's not dead!" Vin cried out again in denial. Then very gently he caressed the Elf's face. "I love you," he whispered. "I need you. Breathe for me, Ez. Please, you're my life." He leaned forward and kissed the pale lips. "Then I will breathe for you, Ez, I'll breathe for you." And he did just that, again and again he blew air into the mouth of his lover.

Suddenly his pain turned into fury and with his fist he hit on the Elf's chest. "Live! You're immortal. So live!" He raised his fist again, then stopped and looked shocked at his hand, as if he couldn't believe that it belonged to him.

Crys turned away, the pain almost unbearable to witness. It seemed obvious to him that the quest had already taken two lives.

"Ez?"

The hopeful tone cut into Crystan like a knife and he felt the urge to run, but then he whirled around instead, staring unbelieving at the coughing Elf on the ground.

"Vin?" Coughing. "Chest ... hurts," Ezra managed between gasps. "Can't ... breathe."

Everyone except the Elf began to laugh. Irritated Ezra looked from one to the other. "I'm ... not ... joking."

"I know, Ez." Gently Vin cupped his mate's chin and gazed into his eyes. "But you're breathing just fine right now. Believe me, it's like music to my ears."

Ezra's expression was one of astonishment, but he didn't question his friend's words, instead he asked: "Jeidy?"

"I'm here, Ez. I'm all right." The boy left his guardian's embrace and leaned over to be within the Elf's sight. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Ezra smiled then coughed again, pain clearly visible on his handsome face.

 

"Where're the Orcs?" Buck wanted to know, coming to his feet and looking around.

"We killed them," Jeidy stated proudly.

The Ranger shook his head. "We killed some of them, but there are more. I saw at least fifty before we closed the door and I'm sure there were more coming."

"They've probably realized that within this room we have the advantage, so they decided to wait until we come out," Josiah suggested, while he walked towards the broken tomb to dig out his crystal.

"Clever Orcs, just what we needed," Buck sighed.

"They are right though. We have to come out eventually and within the hall they can attack us from all sides." Crys looked at Josiah. "Do you think your crystal will hold them at bay?"

Josiah frowned, then shrugged. "For a while. But it won't protect us from stones or arrows."

"We'll have to take the chance." Crys nodded at the others. "Let's get our things and then we'll try to break through."

Vin nodded and left Ezra's side to save as many of his and his mate's arrows as was possible, preferring the fine Elven work to the crude pointy sticks of the Orcs.

"I'll get your knives, Naithan," Josiah announced, and the Wose smiled at him briefly before his gaze turned back to the Elf.

"Do you think you can stand?" Naithan asked, his hand on Ezra's back, already supporting him.

"I'll try," Ezra whispered. He grabbed Jeidy's arm and the young man responded by taking as much of the Elf's weight upon him as he could. It didn't help though. The moment Ezra tried to get up a wave of fire shot from his chest through his whole being and he cried out in agony. Vin was at his side as soon as the other two had set him down again.

"Ez?" Sapphire eyes looked from his lover, who struggled to breathe through his pain, towards the Wose. "What's wrong with him?"

Naithan sighed. "I believe there is internal damage. He should not be moved." He looked around, knowing that no one would like his next words and what they implied. "He won't be able to walk."

"No." Vin's growl drew Naithan's attention back to the Ranger. "You're a healer, do something."

"I'm a healer, yes. I work with herbs, with potions. Wounds like this take time to heal, but we don't have that time. I know Elf-healers can do better, but I don't have their power. All I can say is that he shouldn't be moved, and the pain is his body's way of telling him exactly that." Naithan looked down at Ezra, who was breathing a little easier again. "I'm sorry."

"Not ... your fault," Ezra replied. "You're just stating the truth." He grabbed Vin's hand and met his beloved's gaze calmly. "This was always a possibility, we knew that." He gasped for air then whispered "I love you" before he looked up at Crystan. "You have to leave me here," he said quietly. "I fear my journey has come to an end."

 

The thought crossed Crys' mind that he wasn't the leader of this group and so the decision wasn't his to make, but he had never shunned responsibility and wouldn't start now.

"I'll leave no one alive behind," he stated, and wondered briefly about the sudden silence that followed his sentence. Everyone seemed to hold his breath and Ezra paled significantly. "We must find a way to take him with us." Was it his imagination or were his additional words accompanied by six relieved sighs?

"I could carry him," Josiah suggested, straightening his large frame so that everyone would realize that the Elf wouldn't be a burden on him.

"He shouldn't be moved," Naithan reminded them again. "It might kill him."

"He will die for sure if we leave him here," Buck pointed out, "he'll just have to take the chance."

Crys nodded at Buck's words then shook his head. "We cannot carry him. We all must be able to fight and have our hands free for it. There must be an alternative."

They were all thinking, but none sprang to their minds.

"Could we not change him?" Jeidy asked suddenly. "I mean magically. Can't you change him into something smaller, a small animal that's easy to carry?" Hopefully the boy looked at the Wizard.

As did everyone else. And Naithan echoed: "Could you do that, Josiah?"

"No." The Wizard shook his head. "I'm sorry, but that's not within my power."

"What good is your magic anyway?" Buck wondered angrily, speaking Crys' thoughts as well. "It hasn't helped us much. Why is it that evil magic is able to oppress the whole world, while the other side can't even do a simple task?"

"Because it isn't that simple, there are rules to everything, even magic, especially magic," Josiah explained, breathing deeply. "Evil mages break the rules by which we others live. They don't care what effect their doings have on nature. We do. 'I' care. I have sworn to follow the code."

"Sometimes rules must be bent, Josiah. Otherwise evil will prevail," Vin said coldly.

Crys nodded to that, while wondering if this whole quest wasn't really a farce. He wasn't sure anymore if the Ring was truly of any importance. It hadn't shown any great powers so far, had it? It didn't even protect its bearer, unless it had forced Ezra somehow to jump in front of Jeidy, and he didn't believe that. Maybe they should just throw it down the well and leave for Gondor to fight the war the way every battle was fought, with weapons of steel and men of blood?

He was drawn from his musings by Naithan, who held up a small bottle and said quietly: "I might have a solution."

Six pairs of eyes locked on the healer.

"I can give him something against the pain, then he should be able to walk on his own." Naithan's voice and face showed clearly that he didn't like his idea.

"Why didn't you say so before?" Vin asked, a hint of threat in his tone.

"Because it won't heal him!" Naithan shot back angrily. "The drug will only take the pain away. And without the pain he won't know what his body can withstand and what not. He won't even feel an arrow in his back or any other wound for that matter."

"Sounds like a good thing," Buck put in.

The healer shook his head at the warrior. "No, it isn't. If you don't know you're wounded, you don't take care of the injury, you let it bleed, you let it get infected. You might die and won't know it until it's too late."

"I think ... although I abhor gambling, I ... have to take that chance, Naithan," Ezra said quietly. "It seems to be the best option I have. I accept the risk." His eyes sought the healer's and Naithan nodded. Carefully the Wose helped him up a bit so that he could drink the potion.

Ezra swallowed all of the bitter liquid, then grimaced as the taste fully registered. "That's awful, Naithan, please refrain from ... ever cooking a meal when I'm in the vicinity."

The healer grinned. "It's supposed to taste bad otherwise some would-be-heroes would take it all the time and become addicted to it."

"Addicted to this?" Ezra shuddered. "The thought defies my imagination."

"How long till it takes effect?" Crys asked.

Naithan thought for a moment. "When we're ready to go, he will be too." With that he stood and went to retrieve his knives from Josiah.

Crystan nodded. "Good." Then he walked to the door - what was left of it anyway - and peered outside. It wouldn't do them any good to be surprised by another Orc attack.

Vin smiled at his Elf. "Told you I won't go anywhere without you." He leaned forward and kissed his mate. Then he joined Crys at the entrance, where he knew most of the Elven arrows to be.

 

They were back in the great hall, all of them. Josiah's crystal burned brightly, lightening their way. It also showed them the horde of Orcs surrounding them and the army of Goblins crawling down the columns towards them - coming closer and closer. The light wouldn't save them.

"Guess that's it then," Buck said to no one in particular. "Let's take as many of them with us as possible."

Jeidy swallowed nervously, but nodded. Grabbing his sword and shield harder he moved to stand beside his guardian. He would give his best.

"It was an honour to take part in this quest, no matter how foolish it seems now. I hope we will meet again on the other side," Ezra bowed slightly towards Crystan, then smiled at his lover. "We will always be one," he promised him in Elvish, "you're my guiding star and the spirit of my soul."

"You're the keeper of my heart, the wind in my blood and the very air I breathe. We will never part," Vin replied, briefly touching the Elf's hand.

Any other speeches were drowned out by a mighty roar that shook the cavern. The Orcs and Goblins shrieked then scrambled away, leaving Dwarrowdelf to the fellowship.

"We scared them off," Jeidy said excited.

"I doubt it was us," Buck contradicted.

At the far end of the hall a red glow appeared, accompanied by another roar.

"What is this? One of the dangers you mentioned, Josiah?" Naithan asked quietly.

The Wizard nodded. "It's a Balrog, a demon of the ancient world."

Involuntarily everyone stepped closer to Josiah, almost as if they were hiding behind the Wizard's large frame, while staring mesmerized at the red glow that got brighter and brighter.

"Is there a reason why we're standing here?" Ezra inquired suddenly. "I mean as far as I'm concerned, I'm not really interested in meeting this new threat to our health." He stepped out of line to better look at the others. "Shouldn't we take our bodies as fast and as far away as possible? Like right 'now'?" he suggested somehow anxiously.

By then they could see a gigantic shadow with fiery eyes moving towards them.

"This foe is beyond any of you," Josiah said, turning away from the Balrog to face his friends. "Flee! To the bridge of Khazad-Dum!" He pointed to their left and ran.

As one the others turned and followed the Wizard's command.

Everyone but Ezra, who found himself suddenly staring at empty space where the Men had been only a moment before. He shook his head. "Could have been my idea," he murmured to himself, then spared the Balrog one last glance before he, too, raced for his life.

 

Crystan led the group through a short tunnel into another - as far as he could see in the dim light - huge cavern. Running down a wide staircase he found himself suddenly on the edge of it, with nowhere to go but down. He jerked back, desperately trying to lose momentum.

For an aeon it seemed he was balancing on the last step, the abyss beckoning to him. Fear spread through his being, paralyzed his body, took away his breath. He felt himself falling into the darkness below ... falling ... falling ...

Then there were hands grabbing him, pulling him back from the chasm.

He welcomed the cold stone of the stairs pressing into his back, the safety it provided. But much more he took comfort from the warm body wrapped around him, holding him close even though the danger had passed.

"It's all right, Crys, you're safe," a smooth voice whispered into his ear and Crys found himself shifting closer to his rescuer.

"Go on, we'll follow you." He heard Ezra say and knew from the noises that their friends were taking another flight of stairs, one that hopefully wouldn't end in the middle of nowhere.

He wondered what the others thought of him and Ezra huddled together on these steps, but didn't really care. His heart was still pounding loud and fast and when he closed his eyes even only for a moment he felt like falling again.

"Take deep breaths, Captain," the Elf advised. "And open your eyes. Don't look at the darkness, look at something more worthwhile, look at me."

Despite the fear still pulsing through his veins Crys felt his lips lift in a smile. Somehow Ezra always seemed to know what to say. Maybe it was an Elven thing, or maybe it was just Ezra being Ezra, but whatever the answer, right now Crys was grateful for it.

Without breaking their embrace he looked up and felt himself falling again, this time into green pools of understanding and compassion.

He swallowed nervously. "That's the second time you saved my life," he said, his voice sounding hoarse. "Thank you."

Ezra smiled. "You're welcome, Crys. And I fully expect you to return the favour if ever the need arises." He leaned forward and gifted the warrior with the ghost of a kiss on his forehead. Then he stood gracefully, extending a hand to Crystan to help him to his feet.

"As much as I enjoy our private moment, I think we should hurry to join our companions again. There is no telling when that ancient demon might find its own way into this ..." The Elf looked around and shook his head. "... this second piece of evidence that Dwarves are great at digging big caverns into a mountain, but that they haven't got the sense of an Orc to know what makes a place a worthwhile, comfortable, useful home."

They were already running down another stairway, following their friends, and still Ezra was rambling on about the stupid construction of the cave.

Crys shook his head inwardly, then he laughed aloud.

"Do you ever stop complaining?" he asked finally.

Ezra gave the question due consideration before he answered with a smile: "When I'm making love."

"Good to know," Crys mumbled under his breath, just as they reached the others who had waited for them at the beginning of another seemingly endless staircase.

"You all right?" Vin asked and the captain nodded.

"We have to go down there and then over the bridge of ..." Josiah explained, but was interrupted by Ezra.

"You call that thing over there a bridge?" the Elf said in an outraged tone. "It's barely wide enough for two people to walk there side by side. What happens when people meet on it? There aren't even banisters. Is it verified that this was built by Dwarves? I mean, I would expect Goblins to ..."

A roar and the shaking of the ground stopped Ezra's speech.

"Let's go!" Buck shouted and ran down the stairs, Jeidy and Vin close behind. Naithan and Josiah followed, while Crys and Ezra brought up the rear.

 

"There's a large gap!" Buck warned them suddenly, but didn't break his stride and landed easily on the other section of the staircase.

Jeidy hesitated for a moment, then jumped bravely into the arms of his guardian.

"Good boy." Buck grinned then held out a hand to the others. "It's not that far. I'll catch you."

Vin stepped a little to the side to give Josiah and Naithan more room and both made it safely to the other side. Then the Ranger turned to Crys, who stood like rooted some steps above.

"I can't." The man from Gondor shook his head. Fear burned in his eyes. "I'm sorry, I can't."

"We leave no one behind alive," Vin reminded him, walking back and gripping his left arm. "We're not leaving you."

"You are stuck with us," Ezra added, taking hold of Crys' right arm.

"And we are jumping!" the lovers said in unison, running down the stairs, pulling a surprised Crystan with them.

"No!!" Crys cried as they jumped - he between them. There was nothing under his feet, but a bottomless abyss, and he was falling again, dragging his friends with him ... "No!"

His feet touched the ground and strong hands drew him against a broad chest.

"Easy," Buck said, holding him close for a moment. "You did it. All of you."

Crys breathed deeply. He glared at the Elf and the Ranger, but met only amused innocent faces. Eventually he shrugged. "Thank you," he whispered, admitting that while he was a little embarrassed, he was mostly grateful.

"Come on!" Jeidy shouted, just as another roar shook the cave.

"On our way!" Buck replied and turned, one hand still on Crys' arm, to run down the rest of the staircase. The others in close pursuit.

 

They were already on the bridge - Vinterrin leading, Josiah the last - when the Balrog appeared behind them. It was a creature out of a nightmare, a black man-shaped form, yet as large as a giant, with batwings and the head of a ram. Fire struck from its eyes and smoke surrounded it like a cloak. It held a flaming sword and its roar echoed around the hall.

In the middle of the bridge Josiah stopped and turned to face the demon. "Lead them on, Crys!" he shouted towards his companions, who turned also, motioning them to go on. "Swords are no more use here."

Quite aware that the Wizard was right, the Captain of Gondor hesitated nevertheless, as did the others, but then common sense prevailed and Crys made sure that they were all off the bridge, before they looked back to watch the confrontation between the ancient demon and their friend.

Josiah held his staff high, the crystal burning brighter than ever. "You cannot pass," he told the advancing beast.

"The bridge will break," Jeidy said confidently. "It's too big."

"I wouldn't bet on it," Ezra contradicted. "The demon may be large, but it is mostly shadow and flame. Magic sometimes has a way of not following the usual laws of nature."

"Like some people not sinking into snow?" Buck piped in.

Ezra nodded. "Exactly my point."

The Balrog stepped onto the bridge, quickly closing the distance between it and the Wizard.

Josiah stood firm. "You cannot pass," he shouted again. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the shadow."

The demon roared and brought its flaming sword down on Josiah.

A shield of light blazed from the Wizard's staff, intercepting the stroke. There was lightning, as shield and weapon met, and then the sword flew up in molten fragments.

Jeidy cheered, but the others weren't as optimistic, for they had seen that Josiah had stumbled back under the onslaught.

"Where did it get that from?" Buck asked anxiously, his eyes on the fiery whip that the Balrog was now swinging.

He didn't get an answer, fear for their friend held them all enthralled. Suddenly Vin broke free of it. "He cannot stand alone!" he shouted, and ran back along the bridge.

Crys followed him.

When Jeidy tried to go after them, he was stopped by his guardian. "No." Buck shook his head. "We won't do them any good."

At that moment Josiah lifted his staff again, said something they didn't understand, and then rammed the staff down onto the bridge before him. A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up, and right at the Balrog's feet the bridge cracked and broke. The stone upon which the demon stood crashed into the abyss, followed by the creature itself. The demon cried, but even as it fell it swung its whip.

Like a fiery tentacle the lash curled around the Wizard and pulled him to the brim. Josiah lost his footing and fell over the edge, finding a hold only at the last possible moment.

Even as he looked up, and saw Crys and Vin coming towards him, he felt his hands slip off the stone. "Fly, you fools!" he said and let go.

"No!" the Ranger cried and leaped for the brink in a desperate attempt to grasp the Wizard's hands.

He failed and would have gone over the edge as well had not Crys grabbed his legs and held him firmly.

Jeidy threw himself into Buck's arms, unashamedly crying over their losing Josiah. Gently the warrior patted his charge's head, wishing he could ease the boy's pain.

Naithan shook his head in silent mourning, all the while keeping an eye on Crys and Vin who had collected the Wizard's staff and were now slowly making their way back towards them.

"So close," he heard the captain say. "If he'd just held on a little bit longer ... If we just hadn't left him ..."

Somehow expecting some words of wisdom about what-ifs and senseless guilt from Ezra, Naithan looked at the Elf in surprise when none came.

"Ezra?" he whispered, uncertain what was going on with the Elf, for he stood like frozen, his eyes wide, his arms spread and sweat pouring down his face.

"Don't touch him!" Vin warned, having followed Naithan's gaze.

"What's he doing?" Crys wondered, stepping up to the healer.

Naithan shrugged, it was the Ranger who answered. "Magic," he explained. "Whatever he's doing, he must not be disturbed or anything can happen."

"But 'what' is he doing?" Crystan asked again.

"I don't ..." Vin began, but was interrupted, as Buck suddenly pointed towards the breach in the bridge, shouting: "Look there!"

They looked and couldn't believe their eyes, for there they saw Josiah, lying on what looked like a bird-shaped cloud, flying towards them. Gently the cloud-bird settled down next to Crys and Naithan, and then dissolved into windbeams, leaving a stunned Josiah on the ground.

The Wizard sat up, looked at them and shrugged. "I didn't do anything," he said.

At that moment Ezra collapsed onto the ground, like a puppet whose strings had been cut.

"Ez!" Vinterrin was the first at his lover's side, with Naithan being a close second.

"What's with him?" Jeidy asked anxiously. "He isn't dead, is he? He didn't kill himself, because of the potion, did he?"

Vin shook his head. "He's breathing," he said. Laying the Wizard's staff aside, he gently caressed his mate's face.

"He's alive," Naithan confirmed, his hands on the Elf's neck and chest. "I'm not sure what happened though. The drug should still work. And he didn't seem in pain to me."

Josiah rose and came to kneel beside them. "I believe I know what happened. Ezra summoned the air to break my fall and lift me up again. Such magic comes from within the sorcerer and it takes its toll of his strength. And after all he's been through he had no strength to spare."

"So he'll be all right?" Just once Jeidy wanted a clear answer.

"He should be." The Wizard nodded. "He ..."

Whatever Josiah had been about to say was lost as suddenly Vin stood, bow and arrows ready, shouting: "Orcs!"

On cue arrows hit the stones around them, some missing the fellowship only by inches.

"Move!" Crys ordered, holding his shield up to give them some cover, next to him Buck and Jeidy did likewise.

While Josiah threw the unconscious Elf over his shoulder, Naithan took Josiah's staff, and together they ran into the next tunnel. Buck and Jeidy followed hard on their heels, shielding them from the raining arrows as good as possible.

"Come on, Vin!" Crys tried to catch the Ranger's eye, who stood as in trance, shooting down one enemy archer after another. "You cannot kill them all. We must flee!"

Finally Vin nodded, and side by side they hurried after their companions.

 

The warmth of the afternoon sun greeted them as they escaped the Mines of Moria. Yet they didn't stop running until they felt free of the mountain's lingering shadow. Only when they had reached the plains did they halt, catching their breath.

"Where to now?" Crys asked the Wizard.

"To the silver woods of Lothlórien," Josiah said, pointing ahead, then shifted slightly to better accommodate the body he carried on his shoulder. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Vinterrin sigh, and inquired: "Do you not agree with me, Vin? Ezra is in dire need of help, and I can't think of anyone better suited to aid us, or closer."

The Ranger looked up, his mouth curled in a strange smile. "You are quite right, Josiah. And I would have suggested it myself, for we could all do with a little healing and rest." He looked around, they all had experienced some smaller wounds, bruises or cuts. "I know also that Lothlórien will provide that. Still, I don't have to like it."

"What is Lothlórien?" Jeidy asked.

Buck shook his head in shame. "Don't you know nothing, boy? It's a forest of the Elves. Beautiful trees with beautiful maidens."

"Who you should not anger, Buck," Naithan said, an earnest expression on his face. "They say a great sorceress lives there, an Elf-witch of terrible power and all those who look upon her fall under her spell and will never be free again."

"You don't know the half of it," a weak voice mumbled, drawing everyone's attention to Josiah's back.

"Ezra! You're awake!" Jeidy laughed.

"Ez," Vin only breathed the name, as he stepped closer and gently lifted his friend's head.

Green eyes blinked several times then focused on the Ranger. "Why am I seeing you from such a strange angle?" Ezra wondered, barely awake.

"Because you're hanging over Josiah's shoulder, beloved," Vin explained, a smile in his voice.

It took Ezra a moment to comprehend the answer, but then he asked: "How come I'm burdening our good Wizard like that?"

"You fainted, Ezra," Jeidy said, and found himself to be the recipient of an indignant glare.

Then he was slapped lightly by his guardian. "Now, boy, you should know that Elves don't faint. They graciously allow consciousness to leave them," Buck told him, grinning widely.

Ezra fought to keep his eyes open for another glare, but lost the battle. "I'll remember that," he murmured, then smiled as he felt Vin's lips on his cheek. "That too."

* * *

Continued in The Wood

 


Challenges * Home * Stories