by NovaD
 
 
 
Chapter Four:
The Chase
 
 

Blair was floating in amazing pleasure yet not quite awake. His skin was alive from knowing hands caressing it. A hot wet mouth was sucking his nipples and nibbling at his neck. He reached out to the source of the pleasure. There were broad muscular shoulders under his hands. With great effort, Blair pushed aside the heavy fog over his mind to see what was happening.

"Jim," he sighed. It was barely dawn. Long before they had to wake.

Blair's voice brought Jim's face to his for a ferocious kiss. The Guide lost the thin thread of mooring he had to reality during that kiss. Blair felt that mouth trail down his torso to latch onto his cock. Jim sucked him relentlessly to an explosive climax. The Guide's mind drifted back to deep sleep in a cocoon of warm blankets. He didn't feel Jim's gentle kiss on his forehead or hear the words of assurance that he was nearby.
 
 

Jim waited patiently. The surroundings were pleasant enough. Cool, fine linen caressed his cheek. The carpet wasn't that bad on his knees. The view was spectacular. The Mistress was beautiful in repose. She would wake soon between the coffee and the morning birds. She always did.

Her eyes fluttered open a short while later. They lighted on Jim. She smiled and stretched languidly like an incredible predatory cat. "So like a panther," he sighed. "Maybe I just attract them."

"So beautiful," she whispered. "Have you seen to the needs of your lover? I can tell that he requires morning attention."

"I did, Mistress. He'll sleep for sometime."

Genevieve smiled at him easing up to the headboard. She picked up the coffee cup Jim left on the night stand.

"Tell me, Sentinel, what do you sense now?"

Jim inhaled extremely slowly then exhaled. "I can hear the silk of your gown against your skin. I can see the textures that run the length of your hair. I can smell the perfume oil on your pulse points, the conditioner in your hair, the scent of your arousal."

She inhaled sharply. "Impertinent."

"Forgiveness, Mistress."

She sipped her coffee placidly, but Jim could hear her heart racing. Whatever happened between them, he knew there could never be ambivalence. That made him happy.

"I gather that your abilities are not widely known," she said

Trying to steer away from her feelings, Jim mused.

"No. I'd be all over the tabloids with an 'S' on my chest," he replied smiling. "It would ruin my efficiency as a detective."

Genevieve put down the coffee. She petted his soft short hair.

"I can feel very slight trembling in your fingers. As though you can't trust yourself to touch me," he whispered.

"What are you doing?"

"Telling you what I'm sensing. Like your rapid, shallow breathing, your elevated heart rate, your dilated pupils..." he continued. "I'm here to serve, Mistress. Let me serve you..."

"Jim..."

"I'm here for your whims and desires... you trained me to anticipate your needs..." he said softly.

"Trained too well..." She replied. "Come here..."

In one smooth movement, Jim was on the bed with his mouth locked on hers. She was sweet and exotic like a mango or passion fruit. She sighed into his kiss.

Jim imprisoned her by the hair increasing the intensity of the onslaught. The Mistress moaned and it was sweet music to her slave.

"Missed your taste, Mistress..." He murmured against her ear before sucking it. He followed that taste down her slender throat fighting the temptation to nip at the flesh. She didn't allow marks. "Take this gown off, suck my nipples!" She rasped.

Jim obeyed feeling the tremors rumble through her.

"Harder..." She moaned. "God... fuck me... fuck me..."

Jim was amazed at how quickly and efficiently the condom went on despite his raging passion. He grabbed Genevieve at the waist hauling her off the mattress. She liked having him on his knees with her legs wrapped around him pressed fully against him while he held her ass in his hands. The Mistress sought Jim's mouth as he thrust into her. He felt the spasms of orgasms begin. Jim turned up his senses as she constricted around him. Genevieve moaned against Jim's mouth as she came. Jim came as well shuddering with the release.

Genevieve was limp in his arms when he lowered her onto the mattress.

"Shall I make breakfast?"

"No... lie with me for a while."

He drifted to sleep with the Mistress draped across his body.
 
 

Blair awoke with the smell of breakfast. The aroma tugged at his consciousness until his eyes opened. Jim wasn't there but the evidence of his earlier assault was still evident on his body. The Guide figured that his lover went in search of food. Their clothes were gone. There were no robes, so he went naked.

No one was in the dining area where the food was set out. Blair heard faint music playing in Genevieve's room. He followed the sound. The door was open, so he peeked inside. Jim was laying on his stomach facing the door. A faint smile was on his face. Genevieve was at her closet of doom selecting a wide, thick strap.

Blair wondered why Jim wasn't reacting to impending disaster. 'The music," he thought. She's moving quietly. He's distracted. The impact with no warning... She was already arching the strap toward him.

"Mistress... no..." Blair shouted. He half slid half dove across the floor to cover Jim taking the blow himself. It wasn't quite as painful as it looked like it would be, but it stung like hell.

"What the hell are you doing?" Genevieve demanded.

"Oh, geesh... he wasn't prepared," Blair said still covering his awake but confused partner.

"That was the idea," the Mistress said drily. "It has more impact that way."

"You don't understand."

"Enlighten me, professor, before I remove all the skin on your back," she said quietly.

"Let me handle this, Blair."

"You were listening to the music. A blow like that unprepared would have sent you into oblivion," he said. "He can turn down the senses, but not when he's unprepared."

Blair moved to kneel by the bed at Jim's side. "You would have seriously hurt him."

Genevieve considered them both for a moment. She sat on the edge of the bed then stroked Jim's head.

"I wanted to punish a transgression, not harm you," she said.

"Forgive me, Mistress," Jim said. "I intended no offense."

Their eyes were locked for a while. "I'll accept that."

"You'll find some lounging clothes in the bathroom. After you shower, join me for breakfast."
 
 

Blair was still in sensory overload. He couldn't begin to imagine what Jim was going through. Breakfast, like every meal he'd had with the Mistress, was decadent. He'd never had a better omelette. Then there was the freshly squeezed blood orange juice. He was dressed in a silk that felt so good, he was turned on by the breathing. Both he and Genevieve still bore the evidence of the 'should be patented' Jim Ellison voraciously demanding, blissfully satisfying kiss. His mind was still racing with his own images of what happened between her and Jim.

Blair was barely holding himself in check. Yet Jim was placidly eating and formulating questions.

You know enough about our situation to hold our lives in your hands, Mistress," he said quietly. "Can you trust us enough to tell us why you are afraid?"

"You can rely on my discretion," Genevieve said quietly. She smiled wryly. "Despite popular notions, discretion is the commodity which I ply."

The Mistress considered her coffee for a moment before meeting Jim's gaze.

"I have always been what I claimed, Jim. I'm a barkeep... a restaurateur however you want to put it. What makes it so profitable for me is my rather fluid sense of ethics and discretion," she began. "I've had only a few rules which I would not bend. No one could be harmed in my establishments. No drugs on the premises. I also insisted on not hearing more than the occasional snippet of conversation. "

"That kept you safe from the police and the factions you dealt with," Jim said.

"Yes, my innermost staff, those that were privy to anything, belonged to me," she said.

"More powerful slaves came to me from my establishments. Rich men with connections that made me untouchable."

Jim glanced down.

"Don't be distressed, Dear One. An extreme precious few have privileged as you have from me. Most are too caught up in the theatrics to really understand how to win my trust," she said.

"What went wrong?" Jim asked. He was relieved by her assurances.

"You crossed my path," she replied simply. "For the first time maybe ever I met someone for whom trust was unconditional. I felt I had to live up to it unconditionally. So I broke another of my few rules when I was last in Cascade."

"You were the informant that the Fed's used to get the warrants," Jim said.

"I heard enough to know that you were expendable," The Mistress said. "I couldn't rationalize that. When it went down, I had to leave with the rest of the rats."

"To make it look like you were hurt by the arrests," Blair said.

"Yes, I couldn't contact you then or thereafter. You were monitored for a long time," she said.

Jim nodded thoughtfully. The information had a strong impact.

"What about Denoq?"

"He'd been floating in my orbit for two years. The Inspector has expensive tastes that weren't covered by his salary," she said with a shrug. "He is not very bright when his appetites interfere. Aside from thinking I was on the menu in my restaurants, he ignored my rules.

"He killed an informant at one of my clubs claiming self defense. But one of my slaves witnessed it. He was shot in his apartment a week later... and one of my guns is missing."

Jim sighed. "He'll make a case for extraditing you."

Genevieve nodded. "The Inspector will give me one more chance to do as he wants. Then, he will arrest me. But he'll have to kill me."

"Why?" Blair asked.

"He works with the underworld. He'd be dead if he brings in their favorite hostess," Jim said.

"I came to Cascade because a lot of activity is coming here from the Pacific rim. It was a logical business move for me... one that Denoq wouldn't suspect," she said. "I also came to the only law officer I can trust."

"I won't let him hurt you," Jim said quietly. "But you know when this comes to light, your neutrality will be compromised."

"I know," she replied. "I will cope with that when it comes."

"We have to help her, man. The Feds'll have her jumping through hoops with no backup," Blair said.

Jim smiled. "We will, chief."

"Enough of that for now. Let's go skating, my beauty."

"I have to make some calls about our friend," Jim said.

"You are not to leave here, pet. Use my office, there is a couch, a huge TV and a refrigerator full of micro brews. Be a hedonist. "She ordered. "Tonight we will go dancing."
 
 

Genevieve seemed so vulnerable to Blair in the limo after her admission. He was keenly aware of her delicate bone structure. The thought of Denoq touching her sickened him. The Mistress took a sip of water. Then grabbed Blair by the collar of his jacket.

"If you doubt that I can handle you, then you are being foolish," she said close to his mouth.

Her power over him was clear very quickly. His limbs felt weak. "I even have power over Denoq."

"Don't, Mistress," Blair whispered. "Not against your wishes. Jim will help you."

"You are so sweet. So, so sweet," she whispered.

She kissed him briefly savoring that mouth.

"He loved you immediately," she said with certainty.

"Yeah. I did, too. It took a while for us to see it." Blair said.

"Let's have fun. All of this will wait," Genevieve said. "Let's see how much you've practiced."

Blair was exhilarated flying alongside Genevieve through the park. He even managed to skate backward when she did. That surprised her.

"Very, very good, pet." She said when they broke for water.

"It's a real rush," Blair said. "Thank you, Mistress. For all of it. Somehow, you bound me closer to Jim. He's revealed more to me in one night than he has in months."

"And you to him."

She smiled at him then her eyes glazed in fear.

"Denoq is here," she whispered.

Blair turned. He spotted the thin, pale man from across the park, in the parking lot between them and the limo.

"Can you call the car and have it meet us?" Blair said pulling out his cell phone.

"We can try," she replied. Genevieve punched in the number. Then she blanched.

"Inspector," she said angrily. "This is not how I do things. You have learned nothing and you never will. How can you ever serve me?"

She hung up the phone with trembling hands. Blair took it and dialed.

"Let's go, Mistress."

"Where?"

"Outta here. We'll take the streets until Jim can find us," Blair said. "Come on, babe... Jim..."

Blair explained as they began to skate further away from Denoq who didn't move at first. When they broke for the park entrance, the Inspector ran for his vehicle.

"Jim doesn't have a car!"

"There's one in the garage. The keys are on a peg board in the kitchen!" Genevieve said. "Denoq's in his car!"

"Get there as fast a you can!" Blair said.

He put the phone away. "Follow me, Mistress!"

Blair hunched down roller derby style and started chattering away about the sites in Cascade, all the while keeping them on one way streets as Jim instructed.

"I appreciate... you trying... to keep me calm... But must you talk... so ... much..." She gasped.

"Yes...Jim can find me that way..." Blair said.

Genevieve growled in frustration. Blair continued his filabuster. They were getting tired. Blair got them on the pavement and hunched down behind a van. Blair kept talking.

"May... maybe I should talk to him..." Genevieve said.

"You haven't changed your mind?"

"No..."

"You need time for Jim to figure out how to help you," Blair said. "Turn him down now and he'll go straight to the Fed's."

A car screeched to a halt up the block. Then backed up for a view of the sidewalk.

"It's Denoq!" Genevieve said scrambling.

"Let him get ahead of us, then go the other way," Blair said. "Channing street! Jim, Channing street!"

Another screech as they pivoted then back tracked at top speed. Jim was waiting at the intersection. They dove into the open doors. The Sentinel pulled off before Denoq could back up.
 
 

It took a couple of hours for things to settle down at the townhouse. The Mistress allowed Jim to spring into action. He had the limo returned to the house via Cascade P.D. Calls were placed to Simon and his friend at Langley for a conference call. That was business. He would have to complete those tasks to guarantee the safety of his love and his Mistress.

The next part was a necessary pleasure. Jim served as bath boy for the Mistress and Blair. He soaped them both slowly. Shampooed massive amounts of thick curly hair. They relaxed under his care. He left them in bed together to meet with Simon and get his truck. Her dinner and club guards were instructed to let no one in. Blair was instructed to call 911 if there were even raised voices outside.

"And please tell me what you do to each other," he whispered to them. He knew they were both resilient, yet seemed so small and fragile in the big bed.

Blair barely heard him. He was exhausted from the chase and soothed to the point of sleep from the bath, shampoo and massage. His last thought before falling asleep was to get his body between her and the door while making sure he knew where the cell phone was.
 
 

Blair was waking up aroused again, not from his dreams. Someone was caressing him with really talented hands.

Blair moaned. His eyes opened to a green gaze.

"Be still, pet. Not one move," she whispered. "You are far to tempting to ignore."

"Blair Sandburg... grad student, professor, sex object," he thought. "I can live with that."

The Mistress straddled him relieving the ability to think coherently. Her hands and mouth were everywhere raising him to hardness and electrifying every pore.

"Jim will know everywhere I've touched you, beautiful Blair, won't he?" She whispered in his ear. "He'll find every spot, won't he?"

Blair groaned loudly. Genevieve was licking him which was making him crazy enough but his mind was racing ahead to Jim's careful exploration following Genevieve's path across his body.

"Dance?" He thought as she helplessly watched the Mistress slip a condom on his erection. "I won't be able to walk."

He held onto the sheets to keep still. Genevieve sheathed him in amazing, tight, wet warmth. She held him, and stroked him that way. Her hands were splayed against his chest as she rode him.

"Don't fight it, beautiful. Let go... Look at me!" She ordered.

He did and it was his undoing. She looked so wild and gorgeous sensual gazing at him as if he was the center of her universe. Blair let go screaming as he came. He was so proud. Somehow, he'd managed not to move.
 
 

Jim found the Mistress curled on the living room sofa in a red silk kimono style robe. Her hair was still damp; skin was still moist from a shower. The late afternoon sun was very flattering on her face.

"Would you like some wine?" He asked.

"Yes."

He picked a white wine from her chilled selection at the wet bar.

"The news isn't all bad," Jim said when he joined her. "My contact at Langley got us in touch with Interpol's version of internal affairs. They weren't very surprised at my questions. They've been investigating Denoq for some time now."

"What are they going to do?"

"Agents are en route to bring him back. The Feds have been notified that his is suspended," Jim said. He still didn't look happy.

"And the rest of it?"

Jim sighed. "I'd feel better if we could hold him on something. Denoq isn't just covering up a crime. He is obsessed with you. When he tries to play his trump card and fails..."

She sipped her wine gazing at him calmly.

"What am I to do?"

"Cascade P.D. has authorized your protection. Your activities will be a little curtailed." He smiled "Blair and I will have to stay close. We have to let this play out. We need the time."

"I cannot be other than who I am." She warned Jim.

"If you were, he'd suspect immediately," Jim said. "The Mistress must be the Mistress."

She nodded.

"Come then, pet. I want you with your lover," she purred. "I've left him in quite a state."

Jim followed the Mistress into her bedroom. Blair was sprawled on his belly in the middle of the bed sound asleep. He looked completely sated and irresistible.

The Mistress sat on the corner of the foot of her bed resting against the bed post.

"Love him... enjoy him," she said quietly.

Jim was being overwhelmed by the scents coming from Blair. There was his lover's semen and the Mistress's juices.

"Oh, god..." Jim moaned. He stripped as he crossed the room.

The Sentinel started at his Guide's feet inhaling the scent of his skin. He knew where she kissed and licked his lover. Blair stirred lightly during this sensory examination even though Jim's nose was everywhere on the young man's body even the cleft of his butt cheeks.

Blair didn't wake completely when Jim flipped him over on his back. He went after Blair's slightly open mouth with his own. The Sentinel was tasting him for something unusual. The intense exploration brought the Guide to full consciousness. His eyes fluttered open then closed again as he responded to the kiss.

"God, Chief you taste good," Jim murmured going in for another sample. Blair moaned this time.

Jim broke away again exploring Blair with his mouth for tastes the Mistress left behind. He was slowly driving Blair insane with the intense licking and sucking.

When Jim reached his thighs, Blair was begging.

"Jim, please... Please, god..."

The Sentinel was on a search. He didn't hear his lover or respond to the plea. He was licking the soles of Blair's feet. The Guide was thrashing about until Jim flipped Blair over again and held him down at the small of his back to lick his ass cheeks and in between.

"Jim... Jim!"

Blair reached his lover's ears finally. Jim looked up at the Mistress with wild eyes. She tossed him the lube. He pulled Blair onto his knees. He lubed his erection quickly. The Guide was moaning loudly.

"Please.. .Jim..."

"I'm coming, Babe. Hang on..." Jim whispered. He slid inside groaning at the tightness. He reached for Blair's erection as he started thrusting into him. They moved in rhythm, Jim reaching his breaking point while bringing Blair along with him. He took his partner ruthlessly. Soon Blair's legs were shaking while his moans reached a fevered pitch.

"Now... now... now Jim!"

Blair came powerfully. His shuddering release was enough to bring Jim over. The Sentinel let out a roar then collapsed onto the prone Guide.

Only when Jim's head cleared did he catch the scent of Genevieve's arousal and hear the aftermath of her orgasm. He looked at her. She was smiling at him.

"That was beautiful, pet." She whispered. "Just beautiful."
 
 

"They're trying to kill me." Blair thought with certainty. He sipped his beer thoughtfully. "Simon will ask the cause and the coroner will say he was fucked to death."

Blair couldn't say he minded. Who could argue with pleasure that intense? Jim was incredible. The thought of the Mistress touching him seemed to turn his lover on. It was undoubtedly a sensory thing. The combination of scents and tastes...

"What am I doing thinking about this now?" Blair muttered at himself. He drank more beer. "I should slap myself when I have this to look like."

They were at the Club Retro. Blair was rooted to a seat in the VIP section. Genevieve's bodyguards were positioned at various points. Jim and the Mistress were dancing. It wasn't quite the lambada but they were undulating in a decadent manner. His Sentinel continued to surprise him. Blair knew that Jim had great hip motion, but he didn't know he could handle a Bossa Nova beat.

They were smiling at each other when they returned to the table.

"You okay, Chief?" Jim asked.

"Just overwhelmed, babe," he replied. "How are we going to get back to a normal routine?"

"You will easily enough, but you'll always want to come back," she smiled.

"Always..." Blair agreed. "Oh, no."

"What?"

"Old pasty face," Blair mumbled.

Denoq was at the door being detained by the host. Jim's jaw was jumping as the guard came over. He whispered in Genevieve's ear briefly.

"He's threatening a scene," Genevieve said. "That's not good for business. And it's not me."

"Your choice, Mistress," Jim said. There was worry on his face.

"Let him in." She said to the guard.

Jim let out a cleansing breath.

"I must tend to my guests," she said. Her face was set.

Jim nodded. Though his jaw still twitched. Blair was dumbfounded.

"I have to let her be who she is... like I do with you, Chief," he said quietly.

As Denoq crossed the room to the bar, Jim sought and got eye contact with the Inspector. It was a cold, hard stare from the Sentinel. Denoq's eyes were defiant. For a brief moment, Denoq's eyes lighted on Blair. He felt evaluated then dismissed. He didn't like the feeling. Jim remained passive. But he sensed the seething heat beneath the surface.

It didn't take long for that simmering anger to be justified. Denoq had not been in the Club a half an hour before swooping Genevieve onto the floor.

Jim focused through the incredible noise to hear what was going on.

"You could have the challenge of a lifetime, yet you want fools who want to worship at your feet."

"That's the general idea, Inspector," Genevieve said drily. "Unconditional obedience."

"But you could have so much more with me," he insisted.

"You give me a headache," she replied. "And my best efforts would be wasted on you. It is best for us both that you cease this nonsense and leave me be!"

I will never leave you to the pawing of such neanderthals," he hissed. "If I don't serve you, no one will!"

Genevieve expertly disengaged from Denoq. She gave him a cautioning glare while motioning for her bodyguard.

"Enjoy the club, Inspector. Good night."

She turned then walked away. Jim heard Denoq mutter. "This is far from over Mistress."

Jim sighed. "This is it, Chief. The Feds will stall until Monday. Then he'll find out he can't get her legally."

"Then, he'll try for anyway he can," Blair said grimly.
 
 

Jim's every instinct was to stay very close to Genevieve even after the weekend. Fates conspired against them. The Feds wanted him to come in and meet with the Interpol agents sent to pick up Denoq. Blair had early classes.

The Mistress was serene enough when she heard the news.

"You pets are darling to worry, but I have my guards in the interim. I'll be fine," she said. Then she very firmly sent them on their way.

Jim sensed Blair's discomfort with the solution.

"I don't like it either, Chief. But she's a survivor and she's resourceful." Jim said in such a way that it had the tone of a mantra.

Blair wondered if this was how Jim felt when he left him on his own. Genevieve looked so fragile, yet he knew she wasn't anymore than he was.

"She'll find her own way," Blair said with certainty. He knew she would. So he swallowed his worries the way he knew Jim did frequently and went to class.

Nothing felt right all that day. Blair was nagged wondering where Denoq was and what Jim was doing about him. There was an uneasiness in the Guide that he couldn't quite place. After his last appointment, Blair called Jim. The sound of his voice spoke volumes.

"What's wrong Jim?"

"The tail lost Denoq an hour ago," he said grimly.

"Where's Genevieve?"

"I don't know. Her cell phone isn't responding," he said. "I'm en route to her Club."

"Keep me posted," Blair said. There was a knot in the pit of his stomach. Something was making him very uncomfortable.

The Guide kept an eye over his shoulder as he exited the Anthropology building. On an impulse, he put on his skates centering his pack on his back. He moved easily off the campus grounds still glancing about. As soon as he moved into the bike path there was a flash out of the corner of his eye. There were screeching tires. Blair reacted instinctively. He rolled over the hood of a parked car onto the pavement.

"No way Clouseau." Blair shouted getting low in case of gunfire.

But the Inspector was better prepared this time. He anticipated Blair's maneuver after the first chase. When the Guide got to the intersection, Denoq's vehicle was blocking the sidewalk in his car with his gun drawn. Blair was in the midst of reacting when there was a loud crash. Blair dropped the backpack anticipating a need for more speed. He looked up to see Genevieve's limo crashing into the rear of the sedan shoving it forward. Blair scrambled to the passenger door.

The Mistress was righting herself. She was in her skates as well.

"Mistress... how did you?"

"I.... had a man on Denoq. I got a call in the park that he was at the University..." She was a little wobbly on the blades.

"Let's get out of here," he said. "We can call for help."

Genevieve's movements grew smoother and faster as they got further from he accident scene. Blair reached for his cell phone and found it was missing. Blair remembered his coat flying open just before he'd dropped the backpack.

"You got a phone?"

"In the limo," she shrugged. Genevieve looked tired. He wondered how long she'd been skating before getting the call and how long she could hold out.

He spotted the patrol car with relief. Until the officers jumped and yelled freeze with guns drawn. That didn't seem right. Something told him that explaining to them would get Denoq's hands on them both. They dashed down an alley. Genevieve was confused, but followed closely. He had to find a phone.
 
 

Simon got the call. His confusion worried Jim for some reason.

"No... no... no... Inspector Denoq has no authority to arrest anyone," Simon shouted. "Pick him up... great... just perfect..."

He slammed down the phone. "Denoq got to a patrol car and convinced them that there was a Federal warrant on Blair and Arnaud. They got away from them and are running."

Jim whipped out his phone and dialed. "No answer. Blair'll avoid uniforms now. I've got to get out there."

This was bad. Blair would either keep moving or hide until Jim could find them. Unless Denoq was apprehended, he could stumble across them. He quelled the panic of failing both his Guide and the Mistress to concentrate on sensing Blair. They seemed to be heading for the old amusement park from the patrol car reports.

"Good, Blair. Hide where I can find you," he said. Simon reported that the uniforms lost Denoq, and were fairly sure that he was heading for the park.

"The more the merrier," Jim thought grimly. When he arrived there were patrol cars at the entrance, but only one officer on the perimeter. Denoq's car was also there.

"What's happening?"

"I know what Banks said, but we've been fired at and from what I can see that woman has the long haired guy by the throat," the patrol man said.

A shot rang out from the general area indicated by the officer nearly striking Jim. Banks rolled up as everyone dove for cover. Banks eased out of his car keeping low until he reached Jim.

"There are uniforms moving in form both sides," he said. "You better find out what's going on before Arnaud is taken down."

Jim nodded. He slipped behind the cars moving up a ride repair scaffold for higher ground. He was reluctant to open his hearing because of the gunfire. He went for scent Blair's scent, her scent. Both were branded in his mind. They were there amidst the smell of gunfire and rusted metal. The other scents were cast aside until he found them.

Jim's eyes confused him. It looked like the Mistress had Blair around the neck trying to keep him from moving from the shelter of a car from the whip ride. The Sentinel's mind rebelled against the image. Cautiously he allowed his hearing to follow his sight.

"No!" Blair growled. "Genevieve, no!"

Jim's heart caught for a moment at the desperation in Blair's voice.

"Let me go this instant, Blair!" The Mistress gasped. "I cannot let him hurt you. This is not your fight."

"Like he won't kill me anyway," Blair retorted. "We'll wait for Jim... Jim... Denoq's above and behind us... He's trying to make the cops shoot us... Jim... No, Mistress..."

Jim realized that Blair had Genevieve pinned against the wall his legs were braced against the whip car so she couldn't get leverage. Genevieve was trying a head lock but Blair was keeping her from breathing too deeply.

"Where are you, bastard?" Jim muttered. Turning down his hearing. Up and behind. Funhouse window.

"Simon.... Arnaud is not armed. Denoq is in the fun house," Jim said into his radio. "Copy?"

"Copy."

A couple of seconds later, the cops were moving on the fun house. Jim went for Blair and the Mistress. He moved quickly to the ride following the desperate voices. He needed to let them know they were okay.

"Blair..." Jim said at the entrance. "We know what he's doing. Move slowly along the wall and come toward my voice."

"Were coming," the Guide said. Blair sounded spent. He looked even worse rounding the corner. The Mistress looked as tired.

"Stay close. It's almost over."

Jim led them way back to Simon as quickly as possible without the perimeter secured.

"Funhouse is a negative," Simon said tensely.

"I'm bringing them in," he said stepping up the pace. The hearing went up immediately. Jim had been preoccupied with their vitals to notice the approaching heart beat.

He was turning as Genevieve gasped. Denoq had her around the neck with a gun to her head. In a blinding instant before either man could breath, the Mistress dropped Denoq and rolled away. She scrambled toward Blair who whisked her into his arms. Jim had his gun drawn as Denoq pulled another piece from his ankle.

It took two shots to bring Denoq down. Jim had tried to just stop the Inspector, but the man was really crazed. He kept trying to fire.

"It's over," Banks said as he reached them.
 
 

However, it wasn't quite over. Hours later the Mistress was sitting wearing Jim's jacket in the Conference room with the Feds and Interpol. Blair was barely awake, but Genevieve was still poised despite her fatigue. Jim was pacing with frustration He wanted to get them out of there.

"Bottom line, Madamoiselle Arnaud, this incident with Denoq has raised enough questions about your business for unprecedented scrutiny." Inspector LeBec said.

"Unless?" She asked raising a brow slightly.

"You cooperated with authorities."

"Give you inside information?" Jim laughed. "She'd be dead in a week."

"We would protect her."

"And how many Denoqs do you have in your outfit?" Blair muttered impulsively. But Jim sensed he hit a nerve. They all looked at him. "Such behavior is born out of a permissive subculture. Not that I'm saying everyone there is corrupt, but something made Denoq think he was above the law. It may be more than one corrupt individual. That's a huge risk."

"Nor do I think the Feds can be counted on to protect her from those clients," Jim said.

"Since you seem to be representing her, what do you suggest?" One of the Federal agents quipped.

"You could stay here," Jim said softly. "Your clients always find you. We need to know what's coming our way and you trust us."

"Only with that which is extremely important," Genevieve said firmly. "Otherwise, send me to prison. I can always rebuild."

"And who decides what is extremely important?" The Inspector said with a sneer.

"I always choose," she replied. Then she glanced at Jim and Blair. "Don't worry. I have found a moral compass."

"I suggest you take the deal," Banks said. "At least you get something."

After a tense moment, the Feds threw down their pens.

"Thank you for your time and cooperation, Ms Arnaud," banks said. "I'm sure Jim and Blair will see you home."

Jim lifted Genevieve into his arms as the elevator closed. Blair's backpack had been retrieved so he at least had shoes.

"Your chauffeur will be released from he hospital tomorrow," he said in her ear. "I'll have to do for a time."

She smiled. "You will take me home. After I have rested, you must persuade me why I shouldn't flay the hide off brave, resourceful, delightful and very disobedient Blair."

The Guide leaned on Jim's shoulder and gazed at Genevieve with a wistful smile. It would be a very long night.

Home
Siren Saga 5: Explorations