RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


******Sunnydale*******

Xander stood alone on the edge of the pit that used to be Sunnydale. Buffy and the others had just left in the bus, without looking back. Too many bad memories. But Anya had died. Xander wanted to remember all the things he had shared with her. Even the unusual friendship they had with Spike. The vampire had become their friend when Xander comforted Spike during his nightmares. For Xander that friendship had grown into love.

Xander descended slowly to the bottom of the pit. He kneeled down and cried. He cried for every good and bad memory. During his mourning, he heard a soft cry coming from behind him. Surprised to hear a sign of life in the middle of the rubble, he stood up and searched for the sound. Perched under a large piece of wood was a small baby, softly crying.

He crouched and picked the baby up. The little boy was lying naked on the duster except for a necklace Xander recognized immediately. It was the necklace Buffy had given Spike. Xander knew instantly this baby was Spike. He smiled when he realized Spike had been given a second chance. He wrapped Spike up in the duster and stood up, walking back to the car he had left near the edge of the pit.

"You're going to be fine. I'll take good care of you," Xander told the boy who stared at him with his bright blue eyes, in a soothing voice.

Xander secured the precious bundle in the passenger seat as he sat behind the wheel and drove to the nearest town.

***

Entering Oxnard, Xander drove to the nearest Wal-Mart. He placed baby Spike in the shopping cart, the duster still wrapped around the small body. He went straight to the children's department, where he searched for a salesperson.

"Do you need some help, sir?" one of the salesladies asked politely.

"Yes, I do. We're from Sunnydale and ........" Xander said.

"Oh dear. Sunnydale? You lost everything," the saleswoman said sympathetically, interrupting Xander. "Let's find you some clothes as well as for your son."

Xander didn't correct the woman. He had already thought about keeping Spike as his son and raise him. He wouldn't have any financial problems because he had a small fortune. He was rich enough to get the boy to university. Only Willow and Tara had known of his wealth. He had kept it a secret, because of his parent's greed as well as Anya's.

The woman showed him every piece of clothing available for babies, from socks till hats. Baby Spike grabbed everything the woman showed them and fussed when it was taken from his hands.

"What's your son's name, sir?" she asked.

Xander was about to say Spike, but realized he couldn't let people call him that. He used Spike's human name instead.

"William," he answered.

William looked up at his name and gave Xander a toothless smile. He raised his hands and Xander gave him a bearhug which made William giggle.

****

Xander pushed the three full carts to the check-out and unloaded them in his car. He strapped the rear-facing safety seat in the back of the car. It was busy in the Wal-Mart so Xander wasn't able to dress him there. He placed William on the passenger seat, suddenly sniffing the air.

"William, did you use your duster as a diaper?" Xander asked the babbling boy.

Xander grabbed a diaper, cleaned William and changed him. Dressing William was more difficult because he didn't want to be dressed. He began crying and used his arms and legs to stop Xander's efforts. Xander sighed.

"I'm not letting you sit naked in the car, William," Xander said to the still crying boy.

Finally William was dressed in black jeans and a red shirt. Xander strapped him in the carseat and locked the door with the safety lock. He sat in the driver seat and drove to their next destination - Los Angeles.

****

During the trip, William had fallen asleep when Xander heard a familiar ringing sound.

"Hello?" Xander answered his cellphone.

"Xander? It's Angel. Where is Spike? I can't feel him anymore," Angel asked in a panic.

"Angel, what do you mean you can't feel him anymore?" Xander asked him back.

"As my Grandchilde, I can feel if he's still undead or dust. We share a bond because of Drusilla," Angel explained.

"Didn't Buffy tell you?" Xander replied.

"No. I couldn't reach her," Angel said.

"Angel, Spike was dead. He saved the world," Xander said.

Silence.

"What do you mean was?" Angel asked after a few minutes of silence.

"He's alive and well. I'll explain when I get to you. Okay?" Xander said.

"Okay," Angel answered before ending the conversation.

"William, let's visit Deadboy," Xander said to the sleeping boy.

At sundown Xander parked his car in front of the Hyperion. He walked around the car to the back and opened the door. William was waking up and yawned widely.

"You had a nice nap, little one?" Xander asked, unstrapping William from the carseat. He picked the boy up and together they walked towards the entrance of the hotel.