RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +







Story Notes:
AN: Takes place during most recent season of Angel (5?) except for the last episode. W&H are still going strong, but Connor is gone and only Angel remembers that he ever existed.



*~*~*~*~*


Alexander sat anxiously waiting to hear the words. Yesterday it would have mattered what the words would be... Now he just wanted to know. He had had enough time to decide that whatever The Shamenka said, he would love Willie just the same.

But for now, all he could do was wait.

Finally The Shamenka shifted Willie in her arms and opened her eyes. When her gaze met the worried eyes of Alexander, they softened. "Worry not child, your son is as he was meant to be. He has inherited a talent from you, the ability to attract spirits and demons."

"So does this mean that Willie is possessed by Spike?" Alexander asked in nervous anticipation.

"No, he now carries his father in the same way that you carry the hyena and the soldier, are you possessed by them?" she asked calmly.

"I'm not now, but I was. Now I have their memories and their instincts, but their... consciousness isn't with me." he said, searching for the words.

"That's exactly what happened to the young one. He, like you, has a spirit that calls out to displaced spirits and demons, when the child's father died his final death, he must have had a soul, because it came into contact with your child and imprinted itself on him. I can imagine that the combined pull of you and the child you were carrying, would have been quite irresistible." The Shamenka said as she began to refill the teacups on the coffee table.

"So let me get this straight, Willie is a seamonster, human, vampire, demon-magnet?" Alexander asked carefully.

"No, not exactly. To become a true vampire he would have to have been made a vampire in the traditional fashion. The child is part sea creature, which he inherits exclusively from you, part human, which he inherits from you and his other father, and part demon which he inherits exclusively from his other father. And by that I mean to say that he is the spawn of a demon, not possessed by a demon." The Shamenka said sagely.

Alexander needed a few minutes to process all that, finally he had it all in place in his mind and asked his next question. "What about his growing? He's not even three weeks old and he's walking."

"I suspect that your friend Wesley is correct in his assessment. He will most probably have growth spurts for a while. He will grow quickly through his childhood years and probably slow to a more normal growth rate at the onset of puberty. After that the growth rate should slow to a near stop when he reaches adulthood." She said speculatively.

"Um... isn't there some way to speed him through the puberty too? I mean, that's the one phase of his life that I'm really worried about. What with rebellion, hormones and stuff." Alexander asked, worried.

"No, the child will need those formative experiences to make him into whatever type of adult he will be. And you need to go through those experiences with him." The Shamenka said with absolute certainty, then took a sip of tea.

"Why do I have to go through it with him?" Alexander asked, even more worried.

"Because puberty is natures way of making parents let go of their young when the time comes... Believe me, it works." The Shamenka said with a wide eyed, distant gaze.

After a moment of thought Alexander asked, "Since his adult growth rate slows down so much, does that mean he's virtually immortal?"

"From a human perspective, I suppose you could say that. Assuming that he lives to the end of his natural lifespan... I can only say that it would be inconvenient to measure in units less than centuries." The Shamenka said, trying to find the correct words.

"Okay... seamonster, human, demon-spawn, immortal, demon-magnet... anything else I should know?" Alexander asked warily.

"Just some small matters. It is time that he be introduced to solid food. Basically you need to wean him off the blood, and when you are finished he should only need blood once a week to meet his demonic nutritional needs." The Shamenka said professionally.

"Good, I was hoping he wouldn't feed exclusively on blood, that would get expensive quick." Alexander said offhandedly.

"Quite. Are you still living with Liam?" The Shamenka asked without insinuation.

"Yes, I have a room in his hotel. Why?" Alexander asked, warily.

"The child needs examples of demons in his life, especially vampires, to give him a sense of normalcy. This is a concern for most children of mixed heritage who don't live with both parents. They need to be exposed to both cultures." The Shamenka said in a lecturing tone.

"We live with Angel... I mean, Liam. So that shouldn't be a problem." Alexander said dismissively.

"But what the child needs is to see him in his demon form. If he becomes used to seeing Liam in human form, he may feel that he should be ashamed of his demon heritage, and thereby deny his other father's legacy." she said while offering chocolate chip cookies on a plate.

"I would never want him to be ashamed of Spike. I don't think Angel will mind, and I'll ask Lorn if he would visit with Willie. Lorn is a good guy." Alexander said, going into deep thought.

The Shamenka nodded with agreement.

"I guess that's all I wanted to ask, I'll take Willie home now and tomorrow we'll start him on human food." Alexander said as he stood to go.

"Try starting him with chunks of raw meat at body temperature, soaked in blood. He has the teeth to handle it and it should make the transition a little easier. Just a few bites to begin with and his usual blood after he's eaten his solids. He may decide that he likes it and ask for more sooner. He may not and you'll have to push it on him. Either way, over the course of the next few weeks, increase the solids and decrease the blood and slowly introduce a variety of foods. He may get fussy about it, but be persistant. Know that you are doing it for his own good." The Shamenka said, handing Willie to Alexander and walking with him out of the living room.

[**********]

In the kitchen Angel, Wesley, Gunn, Fred and Lorn waited nervously. Alexander entered the kitchen carrying a sleeping Willie, he was followed by The Shamenka.

"So how is he?" Gunn asked before anyone else could think of what to say.

"He's fine. He just has Spike's memories, he's not possessed. Since he's able to talk, he'll probably remember other things that Spike knew and it'll be easier to raise him." Alexander said cheerily. The Shamenka stood aside and got an 'I wouldn't bet on it' look on her face.

Angel noticed the look and shuddered. [Adult Spike was a challenge to control, baby Spike... did I remember to pay the insurance premium on the hotel?] Angel thought to himself as the group prepared to leave.

"Liam, a moment of your time." The Shamenka said in her motherly 'do it now' tone.

"Of course." he said to The Shamenka before turning and saying, "I'll be out in a minute." to the group going out the kitchen door.

"I am aware of some of your history with Spike, you need to know that this child is not Spike, he just holds his memories. He will say and do things that will try to... 'push your buttons'." She said in a tone that made it apparent she didn't like using such a contemporary phrase.

"So I should ignore him when he does?" Angel asked, seriously.

"Hells below us! no. Never ignore his misbehaving, punish incorrect behavior and reward correct behavior. Just don't react to him as Spike... perhaps you could look at this as your chance to get it right?" she finished, tidying up the coffee cups in the kitchen.

Angel, realizing that he had been dismissed, made his way out of the kitchen and out to the car, deep in thought.

[**********]

Wesley had arrived on his motorcycle, so he went home from The Shamenka's house. Angel dropped Gunn and Fred off at their apartment building. As he was making the turn to Lorn's, Alexander spoke, "Lorn, The Shamenka suggested that it might be a good idea for Willie to be around some demons, because I'm human... looking... and she thought he needed to be comfortable around non-human people."

Lorn looked at him with caution and said, "No insult meant to you or your kid, baby cakes, but I don't do well around children. I mean, I'm just not emotionally equipped to deal with them."

Angel looked at Lorn and remembered things that only he knew. Angel's undead heart broke as he thought of Connor and remembered how Lorn had taken care of him as a baby.

"Lorn, would you please try, for the baby's sake. We won't leave you alone with him or anything. He just needs to get to know you." Angel said with uncharacteristic pleading. He would never tell anyone his motives, but he couldn't deny Lorn this experience; it had made Lorn so happy before. Lorn had such a wealth of paternal instinct that it would be a crime to waste it.

Lorn looked with surprise at Angel's request. He didn't know that old dark and dangerous had it in him to care about a child. "Fine, I'll stop by now and then, but remember that you promised that I don't get left alone with him." Lorn said as they pulled up in front of his building.

"Thank you Lorn, I really appreciate your help." Alexander said genuinely.

[**********]

Angel and Alexander arrived back at the hotel as Willie was waking up.

"Bloody 'ell, where'm I?" Willie asked from his Poppa's arms.

"We're back at the hotel. We went for a drive and you fell asleep." Alexander said soothingly.

"Bloody starving, give us a mug, would'ja pop?" Willie asked with a very Spike-like smile.

Alexander and Angel stared at each other in astonishment. Willie had only been able to say a few words before he went to sleep. Now he sounded like Spike... same accent, same inflection, same vocabulary...

"Sure... Angel, would you mind heating some blood while I bring in Willie's things?" Alexander asked in a daze.

"Yeah." Angel answered in his own daze.

"Why'm I feelin all soggy down below?" Willie asked as Alexander juggled Willie with one arm and the diaper bag with the other.

"If your skin dries out you'll get sick. So we've been putting wet diapers on you." Alexander said as he struggled to get child and diaper bag into the hotel.

"I can bloody well walk if ya let me down, pop." Willie said in a voice that was too Spike.

Alexander let Willie down and said, "You couldn't have told me that out at the car?"

Willie just responded with a mischievous grin and ran to the kitchen.

Alexander dropped the diaper bag and went to follow Willie.

"I'm too short ta git inta the fuckin chair." Willie screamed in frustration, trying to get up to the table.

"Willie! Watch your language." Alexander said as he walked into the room. Angel was just watching silently as the blood heated.

"Or you'll do what?" Willie said defiantly.

Alexander thought for a moment then got an evil smile. "Barney, Teletubbies, Blue's Clues..."

"Bloody 'ell! Alright. I'll keep me a civil tongue, just don't do that ta me. That... that's like abuse." Willie huffed indignantly.

Angel placed the mug of blood on the table and looked questioningly at Alexander.

Alexander lifted Willie to stand in the chair and asked, "Do you think you can handle a mug, or do I need to put it in a bag for you?"

"Let me try the mug, pop." Willie mumbled as he picked it up with both hands and carefully tipped the mug to his lips.

He quickly put the mug back down on the table, spilling a little and with a glare at Angel said, "You got it too hot, ya bloody wanker."

Angel was far beyond speech at this point. He just stood and stared at the miniature Spike. Alexander however was very much able to talk. "Willie, you apologize this minute. Angel was kind enough to heat the blood for you and this is his house. You will not disrespect him."

Willie considered for a moment and shyly said, "Sorry."

Alexander looked at Angel, signaling him not to talk then asked, "What are you sorry for Willie?"

"I'm sorry I called you a wanker, thank you for heating the blood for me. That was nice." Willie said, near tears.

Alexander nodded, then Angel said, "It's okay Willie, I'm not angry. If you'll be nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Okay?"

"Okay." Willie mumbled.

"You're blood should be cool enough to drink now, give it a try." Angel said quietly.

Willie carefully lifted the mug and took a drink while Alexander went to get a towel to clean up the spilled blood.

"Do ya 'ave sumthin I could put in this? It's awfully... liquid." Willie said with a crinkled nose.

"I know just the thing." Alexander said happily as he went to the cupboard and got out the tin of wheat-a-bix that he had bought... Just in case.

Willie's eyes got big when he saw the tin and he said, "Thanks pop!"

"Definitely Spike's son." Angel said with a smile as he walked to the sink to rinse out his mug.

"Yeah, he is." Alexander said happily.

[**********]

In the darkness outside the Hyperion Hotel a figure lurked. She had been keeping watch and had seen Alexander carrying the child, and heard the child's words.

She mumbled to herself, "Don't worry baby, GranMum's here for you."

[Chapter 2]

Silent as a cat, Drucilla made her way into the hotel. She moved swiftly from doorway to shadow, concealing herself in the event that someone entered the room.

She finally made it to the stairway and ran up the stairs as quickly as she could. She could hear her dark kitten in the room with the child.

She waited.

[**********]

Alexander hadn't expected Willie to need to be entertained for at least a year, so he hadn't bought any toys for him. Now he found himself with a two to three year old child who had the memories of a master vampire.

"C'mon pop, let's us watch a bit of the telly." Willie said in his father's accent.

Alexander disagreed with letting Willie watch television just because there was nothing else to do so he said, "We can watch the TV later when something is on worth watching. Right now, let's look around and see if we can find something else to do." He hoped that Willie wouldn't throw a fit.

Willie just gave a shrug and started looking through dresser drawers while Alexander began looking through the pockets of his luggage.

After a few minutes of searching, Willie found a pencil and some paper. He said, "Hey pop, how's bout I draw you something?"

Alexander stopped his searching and said, "I think I would really like that Willie."

Willie laid down on the bed and began to draw.

Alexander watched him for a few minutes and finally said, "I'll be back in a second." And went into the bathroom.

[**********]

She heard her dark kitten say that he would be right back and the bathroom door close.

Drucilla tried the room's door and found it unlocked. She went in quietly and grabbed the child from the bed where he was drawing.

She ran from the room at full speed and down the stairs, carrying the child close to her chest.

"Dru?" the child said, confused.

"Shush, you're granMummy's here to take you home." she said as she ran for the door.

Willie was confused. Drucilla had taken him from his room and was carrying him away. He began to get frightened as he realized that she meant to take him from his Poppa and his Daddy and the Great Pouf.

He started to struggle as they exited the hotel into the street.

As she started running down the sidewalk she said, "Don't worry baby, I'm going to take you home, you and Miss Edith can have tea parties and play dress up."

Willie stopped struggling and began to cry.

[**********]

Alexander came out of the bathroom and noticed that the door was standing open. Thinking that Willie had wandered off, he was about to go looking for him when he caught an old, almost forgotten scent.

[Drucilla!] He thought as he ran to Angel's room. He knocked furiously on Angel's door as he screamed, "Drucilla's here and she's taken Willie!"

Before Angel could answer the door Alexander was already on the stairs. He ran to the lobby and took a deep inhale to track her. As he headed for the door, Angel ran down the stairs and joined him.

They ran out into the street and once again Alexander scented for his prey. A moment later they were running down the sidewalk after Drucilla and Willie.

[**********]

Willie thought to himself, [Dru means ta dress me up and treat me like one of her bloody dolls. I've gotta stop her.]

He shifted his weight in Dru's arms and moved into position. He had never changed into his demon form on purpose before, so he had to push himself to be able to do it. He tried and tried. Sweating and tired he gave a desperate blast of effort. He could feel it starting, he pushed some more and he could feel his horns extending, he could feel his gills and dorsal fin come into being, his fingers and toes became webbed and finally what he was waiting for... his fangs began to drop.

Carefully he moved to Drucilla's neck and bit in. He drew her blood with full force, as if he'd never eaten before. She felt the penetration of her neck and started to try and pull him off. In response he locked his arms and legs around her body and drew the blood with even more force.

[**********]

Alexander and Angel came upon an eerie sight. Willie was sitting on the ground with Drucilla's head cradled in his lap, running his fingers through her hair. Angel walked forward with a stake in his hand, his arm drawn back into position when Alexander threw himself between Angel and Dru, protecting her.

"What are you doing? She tried to take your son away from you." Angel asked, disbelieving.

"Look at Willie, he cares for her. And technically she is kind of his grandmother..." Alexander trailed off as he took his son into his arms.

"She scared me, so I drained her, but I didn't take too much. Just wanted to stop her." Willie said sounding afraid, while being hugged by his father.

"Don't worry Willie, you didn't do anything wrong. She tried to take you from me and you stopped her. You did just right." Alexander said reassuringly.

Willie responded by giving his Poppa a big hug right back.

"What do you want to do about Dru?" Angel asked, smiling at the father and son.

"I don't know, I guess we take her back to the hotel. As long as we keep Willie safe from her... We really should take care of her." Alexander said, with little enthusiasm.

"Thanks Poppa, Dru is crazy as a bloody loon, but she is family." Willie said, tightening his hug again.

"That's right son," Alexander said soothingly and turned to look at Angel. "Family is important."

[**********]

Angel carried Drucilla back to the hotel as Alexander walked with Willie, holding his hand.

"Poppa?" Willie asked quietly.

"Yes son?" Alexander responded.

"Am I Spike?" Willie asked in a tiny voice.

Alexander stopped walking and picked Willie up to hold him.

"No, you are William Jesse Harris, my son. You have some of your other father's memories, and his name was Spike." Alexander said seriously and continued after Angel.

"So that's why I remember Dru an the Great Pouf?" he asked shyly.

Alexander couldn't help but smile as he tried to catch up. "Yes, that's why. When he died, your father gave you his memories, so you could know him. But you are yourself and his memories are just one part of you." Alexander said as they went into the hotel.

"So what part of me isn't Spike?" Willie asked seriously.

Alexander had to think of a good answer for a moment, but glancing at Willie's face, he knew the answer. "Your nose. That is definitely not Spike's nose, you got your nose from me." he said with a smile.

Willie giggled as his Poppa kissed him on the end of his nose.

"But what have I got that's mine?" Willie asked, on the verge of tears. Alexander couldn't think of an answer so he headed quietly for the stairs.

Angel had carried Drucilla up to a room, so Alexander took Willie to their room and closed the door... and locked it.

Willie's picture was on the bed, Alexander carried Willie over to the bed and let him down. He picked up the picture and was surprised at how good it was. It wasn't finished, but there was enough likeness to tell that Willie had been drawing him.

"This is really good Willie. I don't think Spike could draw like this, and I know that I can't. So this is something that's not Spike, and not me. This is all you." Alexander said proudly.

"But I'm not finished with that." Willie said dubiously.

"I know, but I can tell that you were drawing me. Usually when a child draws someone, you can't tell what it is. You're very talented." Alexander said with a smile and pulled Willie in for a hug.

"I love you Poppa." Willie said, starting to sound sleepy.

"I love you too, son." Alexander said as he cleared off the bed in preparation for sleep.

[**********]

"Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me. I'm not going to live under the same roof with that psycho!" Cordelia screamed as she stomped away from Drucilla's room.

"She's family, and she's hurt. I'm just going to get her well enough to leave and let her go. It won't be that long." Angel said hopefully.

"Angel, I don't know what went on the past four years, but I hope I didn't get stupid. A stupid person would stay in a house with a psycho vampire. I'm not stupid, I'm leaving." Cordelia said shortly as she went to pack.

"Come on Cordelia, you can stay with Xander and the baby. They aren't leaving." He said, still trying to coax her.

"Xander never did have sense enough to stay away from trouble. Anyway, what part of 'no' don't you understand? I'm leaving. I'll check in with you and when psycho is gone, I'll come back. If I get any of those vision thingies you were telling me about, I'll call you." Cordelia said as she zipped up her suitcase.

Angel followed as she began to pack up her bathroom supplies. "What if I fixed your door so there's no way she could possibly get in. Like a big wooden bar across it?" he asked with hope.

"That sounds like a great idea... you can install that while I'm at the hotel waiting for the psycho to leave." She said, clasping her make-up bag.

She thrust her suitcase at Angel for him to carry as she walked by.

Quickly she made her way down the stairs and stopped at the check-in desk to call for a cab.

Angel just sat her suitcase beside her and left her to make her call.

[**********]

Alexander heard a knock on the door of his room. He went to answer it, and caught the scent of Angel on the other side.

He unlocked the door and said in a whisper, "Come in." As he opened the door.

"How is he doing?" Angel asked with concern.

"He's fine so far, he asked about Spike." Alexander said and gestured for Angel to take a seat.

"What did you tell him?" Angel asked quietly.

"The truth. I don't know how much he is capable of understanding, but I'll do my best to make sure he understands as much as he can." Alexander said, watching Willie sleep.

"He's so like Spike, and so different." Angel said in wonder.

"He's definitely his father's son. But that's one of the things I love about him. I think he's the best of Spike." Alexander said with a smile.

"I suppose he is. Are you okay with Drucilla being here?" Angel asked carefully.

"Well, I'd rather she wasn't, but she is family and I want Willie to get to know her as Grandma Dru, rather than remember her as Spike would." Alexander said with a shudder.

"I see your point, make some new memories to dispel the old ones." Angel said, glancing at Willie.

"He's growing so fast, I just want to make sure that he has some kind of childhood to remember. Do you think it will be safe to take him around Dru tomorrow?" Alexander asked with concern.

"Yes, she should be fine, I'm going to spend the night in her room until she wakes up so I can bring her some blood. By tomorrow she should be back to herself." Angel said absently, still watching Willie.

"While you're watching over her, I'm going to watch over Willie. I don't know if her taking him will cause him any nightmares, but I want to be here with him just in case. Plus I'm not leaving his side while she's in the hotel." Alexander finished with steel in his voice.

"I don't blame you. I wouldn't either in your position." Angel said with a smile.

Silence fell between them as they both sat and watched Willie sleeping.

[**********]

With eyes closed and breathing even, Willie listened to his Poppa and the Great Pouf talking. He was happy to the depths of his soul to know that his Poppa was going to take him to Dru, so he could spend time with his grandma, and that his Poppa would watch over him while he slept.

[I got me the best Poppa there is.] He thought as he drifted off to sleep.

[Chapter 3]

As morning approached, a slight moaning could be heard coming from Drucilla. Angel adjusted his posture as she opened her eyes.

"Daddy? My head hurts and I'm hungry." Drucilla said weakly.

Angel poured some warmed blood from a thermos into a mug and handed it to Drucilla.

"I know, drink this and you'll feel better. I think you hit your head on the sidewalk last night." Angel said with tenderness, recognizing that she was his childe and therefore his responsibility.

Drucilla drank deeply and finished the mug quickly. Angel took the mug from her and filled it again.

"Why did you come here Drucilla?" Angel asked quietly.

"Spikey is gone so I'm going to take the baby home to be Miss Edith's brother." She said, then took another drink.

"How did you know that Spike was gone, or that he had a son?" Angel asked with genuine curiosity.

"The stars sang to me and told me a story. The dark kitten is becoming a panther, Spikey joined with the burning light, they had a little pudgy-boy baby, and the green key opened the backwards door." Drucilla mumbled before draining her mug.

"The stars need to learn to keep their mouths shut... what was that about the key?" Angel asked, registering what Drucilla had said.

"The green key opened the backwards door, it falls inside out and makes things that are, what might be or what could be, but never was." Drucilla said, holding out her mug for a refill.

Angel shook his head at that, he decided to ask Wesley to have a crack at that one because just hearing it once made his head hurt. Angel emptied the remaining blood from the thermos.

"Try to rest, I'll bring you some more blood in a little while." Angel said as he tucked the blanket around Drucilla.

Drucilla gave Angel a look of gratitude and fell asleep.

[**********]

Willie woke up and nudged his Poppa, who was sleeping beside him. "Poppa, I don't feel so good." he said in a tiny voice.

Alexander was immediately awake. "What are you feeling?" He asked with concern.

"I dunno, kinda like a tube of toothpaste with the last bit just squeezed out." Willie said tiredly.

"Wrung out?" Alexander asked, having an idea of the problem.

"Yeah, why do I feel like this Poppa?" Willie said with worry.

"Because you're my son, I suppose. Tell me, what did you wear to bed last night?" Alexander asked Willie, wanting him to understand it for himself.

"Your T-shirt, looks like a bloody dress on me, Dru would love it." Willie said with a Spike type smirk.

"And what did you wear to bed night before last?" Alexander asked carefully.

"Just a nappy. A wet nappy. I feel like this cause I dried out?" Willie said excitedly.

"Yep." Alexander said, giving Willie a hug.

"You couldn'ta just said so?" Willie asked a little indignantly.

"I could have, but it's better for you to figure things like this out. I knew about this because the same thing happens to me. In fact, I'm feeling wrung out too. But if something happens that's different from me, I want you to be able to figure it out for yourself." Alexander said in lecture style.

Willie considered his Poppa for a moment and decided that it made sense. But he still would rather have the answers given to him.

"Let's go take a bath. You're big enough now that I don't have to be so worried about you being in the bathtub." Alexander said proudly. "So no more showers unless we're in a hurry."

Willie gave a big smile and got out of the bed.

Alexander preceded Willie into the bathroom and started a tub of water, adjusting it to the perfect temperature.

"We're really lucky to be living here, this is the biggest bathtub of anyplace that I've ever lived." Alexander said happily as he undressed.

He reached down and helped Willie out of the T-shirt that he was tangled in and began to lift him into the tub.

"Can do it myself." Willie said in a huff.

"You're too small to get in and out of the bathtub alone. This is a very big tub and you could get hurt." Alexander said in his fatherly tone.

"I wanna do it myself." Willie insisted.

"Change into your demon form and you can try to get in by yourself." Alexander relented.

Willie looked at his Poppa with a questioning look.

"I'm worried that you'll fall into the water and drown. In demon form you have gills, so that wouldn't be a worry. You still might bump your head or something, but at least I don't have to worry about you drowning." Alexander finished.

Willie scrunched up his face and did like he did the night before. It was easier this time. He gave the push to start his demon change. The horns, gills, fin, webbing and fangs came into place.

Then, very carefully he went to the side of the tub and hoisted himself up on the edge. He began to waver on the edge of the tub, But with a look of encouragement from his father, he took the plunge, literally.

"Scoot over, I'm coming in." Alexander said as he eased himself down into the water.

Willie dunked himself under the water. He stayed under for two full minutes before Alexander pulled him up. "Are you okay?"

When Willie tried to talk a rush of water came out of his mouth and he looked surprised. "I think you need to get your gills out of the water before you try talking." Alexander said with a little concern.

Willie got up on his knees and raised himself up until his gills were out of the water. "That felt funny. When I was under the water, I didn't need to breathe, it was like Spike didn't need to breathe." Willie said happily.

"Not exactly. Spike's body was dead, so he didn't need to breathe at all. You are alive and need to breathe, Just under water, you can breathe through your gills instead of with your lungs." Alexander said, hoping he was explaining it well.

Willie nodded in acceptance then dropped back under the water. Alexander just relaxed in the feeling of being wet, saturated with moisture, truly comfortable.

After a few minutes Willie came up out of the water and stood on his knees. His gills drained so he could talk. "Poppa, where did I come from? I mean, I know bout sex an stuff from Spike but..." Willie finished with a confused tone, obviously unable to form the rest of the question.

"I'm not sure about everything, but I'll tell you what I know." Alexander said, waiting to see that Willie was listening.

Willie nodded and waited for the story.

"Your father and I were together, do you remember that?" Alexander asked with a blush.

Willie crinkled his nose and nodded.

"Well, this is the part that I'm not sure about. We did a lot of things, and something that we did caused me to become pregnant with you." Alexander paused, in case Willie had any questions.

Willie just nodded again.

"You grew in my belly, right here." Alexander indicated the spot where the egg had grown.

Willie looked at his Poppa's belly with wide eyes as Alexander continued.

"You see this little mark here? This is where you came out." Alexander said as he showed the mark that looked like an inch long scar. He pulled the bottom of the scar to reveal that it was a tiny, tight flap.

"I came outta that?" Willie asked, disbelieving.

"Yes, you were smaller then." Alexander said with a smile.

"When you came out, you were in an egg." Alexander said, watching for Willie's reaction.

"Like a bloody chicken!?" Willie asked with outrage.

"More like a crocodile. Chickens aren't any good in the water. And your shell was... flexible." Alexander said seriously.

Willie seemed much happier with that answer.

"Then nearly two weeks later, the egg hatched, and here you are." Alexander said happily.

"I know you didn't plan to have me, I remember when you were with Spike. Did you want me?... Do you want me?" Willie asked bravely.

"I wanted you so much that I came here to Angel, where I could take care of you the best." Alexander said with emphasis.

"You really gave Peaches a hard time over the years, didn't you?" Willie said, a little too much like Spike.

"Yes, I did, but because I wanted you to have a good home where you could know other demons and still be with me, I came here and worked things out with Angel." Alexander said calmly.

"Bet that was a bloody sight to see, you and Peaches trying to bury the hatchet." Willie said with a smirk.

"Not as bad as you might think. It only took a few days. And Angel accepts you as part of his family. He's like your Great-Grandpa." Alexander said with a smile.

"I can't wait to call Peaches Great-Grandpa. It'll put him inna bloody mood, I'll wager." Willie said with a laugh.

"No, you will NOT call Angel Great-Grandpa." Alexander said with a serious voice. Then he whispered, "Unless I'm around to hear it."

They both laughed and lounged in the water for a while longer before having to start their day.

[**********]

Alexander came down the stairs slowly, holding Willie's hand as he navigated the too-big stairs. As they were making their way down, they could overhear Angel talking on the phone.

"Wesley, I know it's early but this could be important..." Angel said into the phone.

"But Drucilla was talking about a key and a backwards door, stuff like that is always serious..." Angel said with exasperation.

"I know, but sometimes it is..." Angel tried to interject.

"Okay, I'll see you then. But if the world ends first, don't come running to me." Angel said angrily into the phone before hanging up.

[**********]

Alexander was cooking himself some scrambled eggs while heating some blood for Willie.

"The Shamenka said that you should start eating solid food soon. Do you want to try some eggs?" Alexander asked hopefully.

"I'll give it a try, but can I have mine with blood?" Willie asked seriously.

"Of course. How about one scrambled egg, covered in blood, then a mug of blood on the side... with Wheat-a-bix?"

"Ya know me too good, Pop." Willie said with a smirk.

Alexander carefully fixed a small plate for Willie and a large plate for himself. As he was sitting them on the table, Angel walked into the room.

"Good Morning Xander, Willie." Angel said absently and was surprised when Alexander handed him a warmed mug of blood.

Alexander started preparing another mug for Willie and said, "Good morning Angel."

Waiting for Angel to take a drink, Willie finally said, "Good morning Great-Grandpa." With an innocent look on his face.

Angel choked a little on his blood and Willie got a sour look on his face.

"Bugger! I was tryin to get him ta shoot it out his nose." Willie said indignantly.

"William Jesse Harris." Alexander said in a scolding tone, "If you're going to try to choke you're Great-Grandpa Angel, don't admit to it in front of him."

Angel looked from Willie to Alexander and back. Willie was the first to start laughing, soon Alexander was laughing and finally Angel joined them.

Alexander took Willie's warmed mug and the tin of Wheat-a-bix to the table and sat down. Moments later Angel joined them and watched them eat as he sipped his mug.

After a few minutes Alexander asked, "So how is Drucilla this morning?"

"She's fine, just resting." Angel said.

"When can I visit? I want to have a chat with her." Willie said seriously.

"We can go up right now, just give me a minute to warm a little blood for her." Angel said.

Willie and Alexander finished their meals as Angel heated the blood and put it into a thermos.

[**********]

The two men and the boy walked into the room where Drucilla was sleeping. She opened her eyes as Willie approached her.

"You're such a beautiful little boy." Drucilla crooned.

"Can it Dru." Willie said shortly.

Drucilla was startled by the attitude of the four or five year old child.

"Let's get something straight, my Dark Princess. I've got me a Poppa now an I mean ta stay with him. If you want ta visit with me, I'll be right here, but you try ta take me again an I'll dust you." Willie said in his best Spike imitation.

"Spikey?" Drucilla asked in a quavering voice.

"No, Spike was my father. And you'd bloody well better believe that I'm his son." He ended with a growl and shifted into demon form.

Neither Alexander nor Angel could find it in their hearts to tell Willie that he wasn't even a little intimidating, he was just cute when he tried to act like his father.

Drucilla however seemed to take the threat seriously. Wide-eyed, she nodded in acceptance of Willie's words.

"Right luv, how's bout you tell us what's been going on with you, then?" Willie said, shifting back into human form.

The morning progressed as Drucilla told stories of her time in South America with a Chaos Demon, from her own fantastical point of view.

[**********]

After a somewhat long and emotionally challenging visit with Drucilla, Willie and Alexander made their way back to their room.

"Willie, would you like to go out to a restaurant for lunch today? I mean, do you think you could eat a little human food, and we could walk around and see some of the town." Alexander asked casually.

"Really? You wanna go out... with me?" Willie asked incredulously.

"Of course. The only reason we haven't gone out before is because you weren't old enough to control your demon change. Now that you can do it at will, we can go out whenever we want... In fact, I was thinking about taking a little trip up the coast." Alexander finished a little unsurely.

"What's up the coast?" Willie asked suspiciously.

"Can't pull anything over on you. My parents, your other grandparents are staying with my Great-Aunt Lily at her beach house.

"But aren't your parents a coupla wankers?" Willie asked seriously.

"Yes, and Drucilla is insane. They are what they are, we just have to accept them that way." Alexander said, resigned.

"So what's got you so worried, Pop?" Willie asked, concerned.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell them about you... I don't mean that the way it sounds, I mean to tell them about you, I have to tell them about vampires, seamonsters, hellmouths, slayers and so on. By the time we get to your part of the story, we'll probably already be out on the street." Alexander said with worry.

"So don't tell 'em. If they wanted to know about what's going on in your life they shoulda asked back when all that was happening. I remember your parents, Spike thought they were a coupla lazy sots, sitting on their arses all day and stinking of cheap booze." Willie said confidently.

"I just don't want you to ever think that I'm ashamed of who or what you are." Alexander said quietly.

"If I wanted you to tell them the truth, would you?" Willie asked seriously.

"In a heartbeat." Alexander answered without a thought.

"What about the Slayer and the Witch?" Willie asked calmly.

"Already told them, just after you hatched." Alexander said proudly.

"Pops, can we just say born? Hatched sounds kinda weird, I'm still thinking chicken." Willie said with slight pleading in his voice.

"Sure Willie, born it is. Anyway, I already told Buffy, Faith and Willow, by now they've told the rest of the Sunnydale crew." Alexander said with a smile.

"Then no worries, you told your friends about me, so I know you're not ashamed, and you're not telling your folks because they're assholes." Willie said with a smirk.

Alexander raised an eyebrow at Willie. After a moment, Willie looked properly chastized and they moved on.

"So we need a story to tell them. They won't believe you were born less than three weeks ago since you look like your about five and you talk like your about One-hundred-Fifty." Alexander finished with a grin.

"Spike was One-hundred-Twenty, thank you very much, and who were you dating five years ago? Soes that way we can say that I'm your child." Willie asked seriously.

Alexander started to laugh. Willie couldn't understand so he looked back through his father's memories until he found the answer. "Bloody 'ell, not the bloody Cheerleader?" Willie exclaimed.

"Yup. Of course we'll ask her to cover our story, since she does live with us." Alexander laughed.

"Alright, we'd better get there soon, before I look too old to be your son." Willie said with a smile.

Alexander's expression fell when Willie mentioned that and Willie noticed.

"What'sa matter Pop?" Willie asked, suddenly concerned.

"I'm so happy to have you as my son, and I don't want someone walking down the street to think your my brother or something." Alexander said a little shakily.

"Don't worry Pop, You, me, Peaches, Dad... hell's, all the people we care about know the truth. What's the difference if some yahoo off the street don't know the truth. He'll prolly just git eat next time he goes out for a pack of smokes at night anyway." Willie said with a smile.

"Was that supposed to cheer me up?" Alexander asked, confused.

Willie nodded. "Did it work?"

Alexander smiled. "Yeah, it did. If Wesley or Angel will let us borrow a car, or better yet, if Wesley will come with, we can go tomorrow."

Alexander got a serious look on his face and asked, "You know that I love you right?"

"O course, Pop." Willie continued to smile.

"Well, did you know that I like you too?" Alexander asked, with a serene smile.

Willie responded with a puzzled look.

"I guess most parents love their kids, it's like natures way of insuring the survival of the species or something." Alexander said, still smiling happily.

"But not every parent *likes* their kid. I thought it was important that you know that I like the person that you are becoming. I'm proud of how you handled Drucilla and how well behaved you've been." Alexander said with genuine adoration.

Willie blushed and said, "Thanks Pop, I like you too. Can we go and look around the town now?"

"Sure, let's go." Alexander said, taking Willie's hand in his and walking toward the door.

[Chapter 4]

Alexander and Willie were on their way home from a pleasant day of shopping and looking around. Since Willie had been growing so quickly, they hadn't bothered to get him more than one change of clothes at a time because it was likely that he would outgrow them in a day or two.

Willie had enjoyed his day, his memories from his father made him realize how lucky he was to be able to go out in the sun. Willie had had half a corn dog for lunch and then they went to the park where Alexander watched as Willie played in a fountain.

Tired and happy they made their way into the hotel. Immediately after they entered Alexander said, "Wesley's here. Let's go see if we can find him."

"How'd ya know that Pop?" Willie asked, a little puzzled.

"I have hyena senses, I was possessed a few years back and when the hyena was removed, her senses and instincts remained... kind of the way Spike left his memories with you." Alexander said calmly as they made their way up the stairs.

They stopped off at the bedroom to drop off their packages and went in search of Wesley. A few minutes later they found him in Drucilla's room.

Willie barreled in the door and yelled, "Daddy! We had the best day, I got to go out in the sun and play, and I got to eat human food, and I got to play in a fountain, and..."

"It's good to see you too William." Wesley said with a smile, while hugging William close to himself.

"Poppa's got something to ask you, please say yes, please?" Willie said with imploring eyes.

Wesley turned his gaze from Willie to Alexander giving a questioning look.

"I wondered if you had time to go with us up the coast tomorrow. I'd like to introduce Willie to his grandparents... the Harris ones." Alexander said in a hopeful voice.

"As a matter of fact, I do have time and I would be delighted to travel with you and William." Wesley said formally but a glimpse of tenderness could be seen in his eyes.

"Great, I bought Willie some new clothes for the trip. And some swimming trunks for all three of us." Alexander said then realized that he might have been too forward.

"I don't know how you knew that I didn't own any, but be that as it may, thank you Alexander." Wesley said in his British watcher way.

"Sure Wesley, I didn't even think, you're just part of the family, so if I was buying for us, I was buying for you too... I hope I got the right size." Alexander said with a little concern.

"I'm sure they'll be fine." Wesley said with a small smile.

"Hi Great-Grandpa Angel. Hi Grammy Dru." Willie said with a wicked little smile as he took in Angel's flustered reaction.

"Good Afternoon Willie, are you excited about your trip?" Angel asked, getting over the Great-Grandpa comment.

"I'm excited about going on a trip with Poppa, and Daddy, and I'm excited about going to the ocean. We have to visit the wankers he calls parents while we're there." Willie said with a little sneer.

"They're your grandparents, and if we do this right, you'll never have to see them again after this." Alexander said hopefully.

"Why is that?" Wesley asked, puzzled.

"Because Willie's right, they're wankers. Even so, I think it's important that he get to meet them... they're family. But we have to be careful to not tell them where we live. You can say Los Angeles but that's all."

"Why not?" Angel asked.

"Because if they know where I live, they'll probably show up on the doorstep wanting to move in." Alexander said with dread.

Angel gave a shudder. He had seen Xander's parents a few times. Given the choice, he wouldn't want to be in the same city with them, much less the same building.

"Daddy and the Wicked Knight were talking with me.' Drucilla said happily.

Everyone turned their attention to Drucilla who was looking strangely at Willie.

"Wicked Knight?" Alexander asked Wesley with a note of teasing in his voice.

"Dark Kitten?" Wesley asked in return, effectively ending the teasing.

Willie crawled up on the bed and sat beside Drucilla. "Wanna hear about my day out in the sunshine?" he asked happily.

"Yes, tell granMummy all about your day." She said with enthusiasm.

Alexander took a seat and listened to the events of the day from Willie's point of view. Wesley and Angel walked out of the room to talk.

[**********]

Wesley stopped into Drucilla's room later to say goodbye and arrange a time to pick them up. Alexander and Willie said their good-byes, then went back to visiting with Drucilla. There was no doubt she was stark raving mad, but she could tell an entertaining story.

Later that evening Willie and Alexander established that brussels sprouts and blood was not a viable combination and that Mac & Cheese goes with just about anything. Willie had only had a little more than two mugs of blood all day.

As they lay down to sleep, Willie whispered, "Poppa?"

"Yes Willie?" Alexander asked sleepily.

"Do you know what Willie means in England?" he asked with a chuckle.

Alexander thought for a moment then blushed. "I'm sorry Wil... what do you want me to call you?"

"I dunno. Willie didn't bother me until tonight when I remembered that it's about the same as being named 'Dick' or 'Pecker'." Willie said shyly.

"Fine, let's look at the possibilities." Alexander said in his fatherly way. "William?" He asked without hinting whether he approved or not.

Willie thought about it for a moment and said, "That's Daddy's name for me, an besides, that's what you call me when you scold me. If you called me that all the time I'd feel like I was always in trouble."

Alexander couldn't argue with that logic and asked, "Billy?"

"I don't know, I don't feel much like a Billy. I mean Billy the demon... It doesn't really sound right." Willie said with a smile.

"Jesse?" Alexander asked, trying not to sound sad.

"Hmmm. Jesse the demon... Jesse the seamonster... " He cleared his throat and mock screamed, "Ahhh! Jesse is coming!"

Alexander was laying back laughing by this time.

"That one is on the list of maybe. I like it, but I don't know." Willie said seriously.

"I've got it... Will." Alexander said excitedly.

"Will... Will the demon... Will the seamonster... Ahhh! Will is coming!" Willie stared at the ceiling, apparently searching for inspiration.

"That goes on the list with Jesse." Willie said with certainty.

"How about we decide this tomorrow. I'll introduce you to everyone as William and let them decide what to call you." Alexander said, very ready to be asleep.

"Poppa?" Willie asked quietly.

"Hmmm?" Alexander responded.

"Who was Jesse? Spike didn't know him, I don't think." Willie said sleepily.

Alexander thought that this might serve two purposes. Let Willie know who Jesse was, and give him a bedtime story to put him to sleep.

"Jesse was my best friend when I was growing up. We went to kindergarten together and became friends." Alexander said in a relaxing tone and turned on his side to watch Willie.

"He and I would build forts and treehouses, we did everything together. We played with little green army men in the dirt and made fantastic battlefields." He glanced at Willie's eyes to see them getting heavy.

"Willow was there too, the three of us were together in school, after school, on the weekends..." He dropped his voice to be softer, Willie's eyes were half closed. "Sometimes I would sleep over at Jesse's house and we would stay up real late watching movies."

"When we were 15 a new girl showed up at school. She was really pretty. There were stories going around that she burnt down her last school." Willie's eyes were little more than slits.

In a near whisper Alexander said, "Her name was Buffy. Spike knew her. She was... is the vampire slayer. She saved Willow from being bitten by a vampire. Jesse wasn't so lucky. Jesse was turned into a vamp about a week later."

Willie was asleep, but Alexander had to finish the story. In a whisper he sadly said, "I put a wooden stake through my best friend's heart and he turned to dust." Then he laid back to try and sleep.

[**********]

They were on the road, T minus three hours and counting. Alexander thought back on the morning. He and Willie had woken up and taken a leisurely bath. After that he had prepared eggs and hashed browns for the both of them. Covered in blood for Willie with a mug and Wheat-a- bix on the side.

They had hurridly packed up their clothes for the trip and were waiting when Wesley arrived. Exactly on time, as usual.

Now they were cruising along the coast highway, Willie was in the back drawing and the adults were in the front, enjoying the scenery.

"Wesley, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this for us." Alexander said with genuine thanks in his voice.

"Alexander, I don't know if you understand what it means to me for you to include me in your family. I am far from my home, and not on good terms with my own family. For you to make me a part of your family means more to me than I can say." Wesley said, on the verge of letting his emotions show themselves.

"There isn't anyone else that I can think of that I would rather have as part of my family. You're my friend and Willie's Daddy and you always will be." Alexander said with a lump in his throat.

"Daddy. I gotta go." Willie said from the back seat.

Wesley said, "We haven't been on the road for half an hour..."

"He's only been on human food for two days. His body is still trying to figure out what to do with it." Alexander interrupted as gently as he could.

Wesley considered Alexander's words and began looking for the next restroom.

[**********]

Four bathroom breaks later they arrived at the beach house. The adults got slowly out of the car and stretched their stiff bodies as Willie jumped out and started running around, exploring the area.

"Ah youth, I would stop him, but his childhood is flying by so fast..." Alexander said with a sad look in his eyes as he watched his son playing.

"He'll be fine. Every moment of his childhood is filled with love and joy. How many people do you know that can say that?" Wesley said with his own sad look.

"Willie, come on, let's meet your grandparents." Alexander said loud enough to be heard over the running child.

The group of three went up to the door of the large, majestic, albeit run-down building. It was the only structure as far as the eye could see in any direction.

Alexander knocked on the door. The knock sounded like it echoed into forever. After a moment, the door slowly began to open.

"Come in, come in." Said a woman's voice from behind the door.

The three went inside the house and saw the delicate pale woman pushing the giant door closed. Alexander made a move to help her, but before he could, she was done.

"Aunt Lily?" Alexander asked in an incredulous voice.

"Yes?" Lily answered.

"I'm Alexander, Henry and Marilyn's son. I heard that they were staying here after Sunnydale was evacuated.." he said excitedly.

"You can't be, the last time I saw you, you were... that big." She said looking at Willie.

With a swell of pride in his voice he said, "I'd like to introduce my son, William Jesse Harris"

"Aren't you just the cutest thing, I could eat you up." Lily said while pinching one of Willie's cheeks.

Willie looked up at Aunt Lily surprised then turned and put his arms up signaling for his Poppa to pick him up.

"Are my parents here?" Alexander asked casually.

"No, they went out to the store... for beer no doubt." She said with obvious disapproval.

"No doubt." Alexander said before noticing Wesley standing beside him.

"Oh, Aunt Lily, this is my friend Wesley." Alexander said quickly. "This is Lily..."

"Call me Aunt Lily, everyone does." Lily interrupted with grace.

Willie pulled himself close to his Poppa's ear and whispered, "I think she's a vampire."

[Chapter 5]

"Yes I am." Lily said with a smile.

"But... but how?" Alexander asked with wide eyes.

Wesley was working his way closer to Alexander and William.

"Actually, I was born this way." Lily said gesturing for the others to follow her.

They entered a large room filled with furniture. Alexander, Willie and Wesley sat close together on a couch while Lily sat herself on an elegant chair.

"It was my understanding that vampires couldn't reproduce because their bodies are dead." Wesley said, relieved that he didn't stammer at all.

"I believe that's true of most vampires, but vampires descended from Dracula are not dead." She said with a pleasant smile.

"Are you speaking of the childer of Dracula or the children?" Wesley asked cautiously.

"The children, of course." Lily said.

Wesley and Alexander exchanged looks as Willie decided what needed to be done next. "Poppa, can I show Aunt Lily? Can I?" Willie asked in typical five-year-old fashion.

Alexander thought about it for just a second then said, "Go ahead, show your Aunt Lily."

Willie gave a little push and let his demon form come to the fore.

Lily clapped her hands and smiled at her nephew's achievement. Willie made a few growls and snarls, much to Lily's delight as Alexander asked, "Does mom and dad know about this?"

"They know. Your father is such a speciesist bigot that we don't even talk about it in front of him." Lily said with disgust.

"And here all this time I thought he was just a regular bigot... William, you need to change back to your human form in case your grandparents come home." Alexander said, barely remembering to call his son William.

"Okay Poppa." Willie said sadly and changed back into his human form.

"So why isn't mom a vampire?" Alexander asked curiously.

"No one knows. Every now and again, one of our children comes out fully human. Personally I think that somewhere there is a deity with a sense of humor." Lily said conspiratorially.

Willie was wandering around the room, looking at everything.

"So what is he, I mean he doesn't look like a typical vampire." Lily commented.

"He got seamonster from me, it's a long story. We think that's what made me able to reproduce... lay an egg." He finished timidly.

"He got vampire from his father, Spike. You might know of him as William the Bloody, one of the Scourge of Europe." Alexander said with pride in his child's father.

"Oh yes, I met him once back in the old country, he was traveling with Angelus back then." Lily said in fond remembrance.

"Well we're staying with Angel, that's Angelus' name now that he has a soul. Anyway we're staying at his place since he's like William's great-grandfather." Alexander said, happy to have this connection with his aunt.

"It's nice to know that Angelus is still around. I must stop by to see him." Lily said happily.

"I think he'd like that." Alexander said with a smile, then considered something. "You said that you were descended from Dracula, but I've met Dracula and he looked like he was about twenty-five." Alexander said, confused.

"My father, your great-grandfather is Dracula, and he hasn't gone out hunting in nearly a hundred years. Whoever you met was just a vampire who knew some gypsy magic." Lily said exasperated. "There are a lot of wannabe's and posers trying to trade on the family name."

Alexander turned his head suddenly and Willie came running back into the room screaming, "The wankers are here, the wankers are here."

Instead of scolding his child he just said sadly, "I know."

[**********]

There was a sound of rustling bags in another room and the sound of a beer being opened before the grungey figures of Marilyn and Henry Harris made their way into the living room.

"Oh fuck! You here to mooch off us boy?" Alexander's father said as he flung his bulk into a chair and took a deep drink of his beer.

Alexander's mother came in and paused for a moment when she saw her son, then went to sit on a love seat near her husband.

"Nice to see you to Dad, Mom. I'd like you to meet Wesley, and my son William." Alexander said in a neutral tone.

"Your son? I thought you was a fag." Henry said as he took out a cigarette.

"I'm a grandmother?" Marilyn said, astonished.

"Yeah mom, you are." Alexander said, ignoring his father's words.

"So why'd you bring the little shit here? You're not dumping him on us, are you?" Henry asked as he took a deep drag off his cigarette.

"No, I just came for a visit to let you know that I'm okay and that you have a grandson." Alexander said, resigned. This was pretty much what he had expected.

"I'm going to go start lunch, would you care to help me?" Lily asked Alexander.

"Sure Aunt Lily."

As Alexander got up to follow Lily, Wesley and Willie automatically got up to leave.

"Come and let me see you." Marilyn said to Willie.

Willie cautiously made his way toward his grandma. Wesley and Alexander shared a glance and it was silently decided that Wesley would stay to watch over Willie.

[**********]

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know you just wanted your parents to know their grandchild." Lily said sadly.

"Actually, I wanted Willie to know his grandparents. They're reacting just about the way that I expected." Alexander said sadly.

"I didn't realize that things were this bad, if I had only known I would have found a way to get you out of there." Lily said, nearly in tears.

"Don't worry Aunt Lily. I'm in a place now where I have friends who like and respect me, I have a wonderful son that is the greatest thing in my life. And if I have my way, this will be the last time I ever lay eyes on those two." Alexander said serenely.

"Alexander, don't give up on your family... okay, you can give up on those two, but the rest of your family will love and accept you just as you are." Lily said seriously.

"Thank you Aunt Lily, you know I haven't seen any of the family since I was about four years old. I don't think I can be part of your family. I don't know any of them. My family is with Angel, Wesley and William. But I would be happy if you could be part of my family." Alexander asked hopefully.

"When you least expect it, I'll be showing up for a visit. Like I said, I have some catching up to do with Angelus." Lily said happily.

[**********]

Marilyn Harris held her grandson close and looked at him. There was no denying that this was her grandson, he had the Harris nose. "So tell me about your mother." Marilyn said softly.

Willie pulled back and said, "Name's Cordelia. Used to be a cheerleader. Now she's a receptnist." Willie said quickly.

Marilyn gave a little chuckle and said, "Is your momma beautiful?"

"Yeah, a naughty bit of fluff, my mum." Willie said, trying to work his way off his Grandmother's lap.

"Daddy, can we go with Poppa?" Willie asked with pleading in his voice.

"Why does the little shit call you daddy?" Henry asked gruffly.

"I was there when he was born and have watched after him since. When he began to speak, he called me his dad, and so I have been ever since." Wesley said shortly, wanting to be away from these repulsive people.

"So that's where he gets that limy accent." Henry said loudly.

"Excuse me, we're going to find Alexander." Wesley said, hurriedly leaving the room hand in hand with Willie.

"Bring me back a beer!" Henry called from his chair.

[**********]

"Alexander, I must say I have a whole new respect for my father after meeting yours." Wesley said in an uncharacteristic show of emotion.

"Yeah, dad's something else. What say we get the hell out of here?" Alexander asked.

"Aren't you going to stay for lunch?" Lily asked plaintively.

"For you I will, Aunt Lily, but we will be leaving as soon as lunch is over. It's a long drive back to L.A." Alexander said calmly.

"Not as long as lunch is going to be with those two." Wesley said, then realized that he had said it out loud.

Willie put his hands up for his Poppa to pick him up.

"How you doing?" Alexander asked with concern.

"Grandma's breath is like tha ashtray in a west-end pub." Willie said with his nose crinkled.

"I'll have to take your word for it. Are you going to be able to eat lunch?" Alexander asked concerned.

"Is he having trouble eating?" Lily asked with her own concern.

"We're trying to wean him off blood, this will be his second day eating human food. And I've been giving him blood with his food, to make it easier." Alexander said while running his fingers through Willie's hair.

"Then why don't I just fix him some blood?" Lily asked him as she went to the refrigerator.

"But what will my parents think?" Alexander asked with worry.

"Do you really care what they think?" Lily asked in return.

Alexander looked down into his son's face and said, "Not at all, go ahead."

[**********]

Lunch was served in the dining room to the sound of Henry Harris' bitching about having to leave the television in the middle of 'his show' and because no one thought to bring him a beer.

Lily had been determined to make the meal special, so she put out the good china and crystal.

When everyone was seated, she walked over to Willie's place-setting and filled his crystal glass with blood. Then she went to her place and filled her own.

Henry started to bluster and huff but Lily shut him down quickly by saying, "Henry, you are a guest in my house. If you have some objection as to how I entertain, you may keep it to yourself or leave." Then she turned her attention to the entire table. "I propose a toast to the newest member of the family, William Jesse Harris." Lily said and extended her glass.

Wesley and Alexander touched glasses with Lily, then Alexander lifted Willie so he could touch Lily's glass too.

Henry just sat sourly watching as Marilyn kept silently glancing at Henry to see his reactions.

"Can I Poppa?" Willie asked quietly.

Alexander just smiled and nodded his head.

Willie let his demon form come into being and began to drink his blood hungrily. Henry watched in disgust as Marilyn watched with tearful eyes.

The meal continued in near silence. Wesley's prediction about the seeming length of the meal had been spot on. The drive there had seemed like nothing compared to the stony silence and the air of tension.

"Thank you for the lovely meal Aunt Lily. We really have to go. I just came to introduce William to the family." Alexander said quickly after the last of the food was gone.

"Yes, it was a pleasure to meet you, and I do hope that I get to see you if you come to Los Angeles to visit." Wesley said with genuine admiration.

"Thank you for coming, I hope to be able to visit you soon. I just came here to open the house for Henry and Marilyn and see