RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Five years later




It shouldn’t be daunting to stand in front of all these people and speak his mind. He knows that even if they don’t agree with him, that they won’t hurt him “ that he won’t lose any privileges “ that no one he cares about will suffer for his outspokenness. As he stands before the Vulcan council, most of whose human bonded mates are present also, turn to look at him.

He can see Sarek, whose arm casually envelops his best friend Bones. His friend was heavily pregnant and could deliver at any time. He almost glowed, despite the continued morning sickness “ which seemed to be a side-effect of carrying a human-vulcan hybrid child.

Jim coughed then turned to smile at Spock, as his own Vulcan places a comforting and encouraging hand on his shoulder. A much smaller hand tugged at his pants as well, and as he looked down “ he met the brilliant shining blue eyes of his son. George is a beautiful mix between Vulcan and human, just as his sire. Although Jim privately thought his son was far more inclined to enjoy his more human instincts at times “ and was glad for it. He didn’t have to feel alien around his own child, which would be unbearable. He curled a hand around the full head of blond hair “ tweaking the lobe of his son’s ear “ which produced a loud giggle.

He smiled and turned to face the council again “ most of whose facial expressions, especially their human mates, have turned somewhat indulgent “ almost sappy. George will always be the first successful hybrid child produced by the male carrier procedure. A procedure without which their combined species wouldn’t have had the same survival rate as they did and do now. It had taken Jim a long while to figure out that George had been and still was the beacon of hope for the Vulcans.

“Council. I would like to request your attention in regards to the hybrid police that was introduced five years ago.”

He could easily see all the humans sit up straight and pay complete attention at his words. The Vulcans seem to almost stiffen slightly as one “ as they all, without fail, try to surreptitiously watch their own humans. Jim knew how those other people feel about their status from first hand experience, no matter if they’ve come to care about or even love their mate. Jim briefly met the dark glittering eyes of Spock before continuing.

“I think it is time for the regulations concerning forced bonding to be lifted.”

The council started grumbling, but he resumed his reasoning.

“It is not that I “ or we as humankind “ do not see the benefits that the survival rate of our combined species have. I do believe however that a consensual choosing and bonding of mates should be the way we go about things. You as Vulcans and we as humans have always acted as such. Necessity has driven us to extreme measures in the past few years. Perhaps it is time to return to the old ways “ to genuine affection and love developing before bonding. I believe mated pairs will have an even stronger bond, without any of the blame or helplessness that many humans have felt these past few years. We are proud at times, yes, but it is part of who we are. You as Vulcans have chosen humans to build a new species with. The first generation has been provided for.”

Jim spoke, brushing his son’s hair almost absentmindedly.

“It is time to go back to the values we as a combined species should hold dear. How can we be one species if over half of its people don’t have the same rights and privileges? Yes, our children do. But do you really want to explain to your sons and daughters that you once enslaved their human parents by logical necessity but couldn’t release them when the time has presented itself based on an illogical fear? ”

He saw many humans “ most he knew pretty well “ take the hands of their bonded partners or snuggle almost close to them. None of the Vulcans seemed to mind the displays of affection. In fact they seemed relieved as their mates did so. It hit him then and there. They were afraid to lose their humans. Jim smiled. Humans really did seem to have a knack to get under a Vulcan’s skin and stay there. He looked at Spock and smiled. Spock took his other hand and kissed the back of it. Jim leaned in and kissed him on the lips. Gently and almost sweetly. Another giggle made him smile during the kiss. Jim laughed as he felt Spock’s lips twitch as well.

Somehow he had a feeling that everything would resolve itself in the end.




The End.