RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


A few weeks later



Returning to his quarters after another check-up with Bones, and Jim was almost giddy with the anticipation of telling Spock the sex of their unborn child. A boy. Jim thought excitedly. They were going to have a son. His hand was curved over the slight swell of his belly and he’s never felt so scared, nauseous, excited and happy at the same time. Entering his quarters almost thoughtlessly, he didn’t see Uhura until it was too late “ pointing a phaser at him with a mad fever burning in her eyes. Jim has just enough time to bring both his arms in front of his stomach, as well crying out Spock’s name verbally and mentally “ before the phaser hit him and everything turned black.

He woke up dizzily, everything hurting. It hurt too much. That couldn’t be good for the baby. The baby! Why did he hurt and was the baby alright? His eyes remained stubbornly closed though and everything sounded very distant. He could pick out a familiar voice though in midst of what seemed doctors arguing

“… stabilize him before the placenta gives way.”

Bones Jim thought fuzzily. He’d just been to see him, hadn’t he? Yes. Yes, that’s right. They were having a baby boy. He tried to smile.

“ - losing them both, damn it!”

He heard a high whine of something electrical and thought he might back under the overhead scanner in sickbay. It didn’t make sense. Too insistent hands were prodding him though, and he must have made a sound.

“Jim?” Unfamiliar desperation in that voice and he’d never heard Spock let so much emotion slip out. So much emotion and it was so dark and heavy and burdening. It wasn’t right. They should be happy now.

A son He projected instinctively to Spock. It’s a boy.The mind link activating fiercely and the rush of Spock’s emotions “ so many and so overwhelming “ confused him. He couldn’t really make sense of it. He felt as if he were crashing. It was as if he were falling and he couldn’t stop. Everything turned blessedly dark again.



*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*



There’s an irritating beeping sound that tugs at his conscious “ niggling at him until he feels more awake than asleep. He opened his eyes “ eyelids feeling far too heavy to be normal. He blinked slightly, as the infirmary came into focus. He was propped up conformably against actual pillows and hurt fiercely despite the intravenous fluid he could see being pumped into his system. Spock was laying asleep on his legs, one of his hands clutching one of Jim’s.

Why in Pluto’s name was he lying in Bones’ sickbay, hooked to far too many gadgets to his liking. He turned slightly and blinked again as he took in Bones snoring softly on another sickbed. It had clearly been dragged closer to Jim’s own bed and Bones looked exhausted. He had his own Vulcan attached to him, and Jim nodded to Sarek, who was the only other one awake. It took Sarek a moment to realize that Jim was awake as well though and when it finally vivbly sunk in, Jim could swear that Sarek looked relieved and smiled just a bit.

“What happened?” He asked, voice breaking slightly. Sarek opened his mouth, but the tightening of the grip Spock had on his hand had Jim turning to his own Vulcan. Jim frowned as he took in Spock’s too pale face and almost bruised eyes. The dark eyes glittered “ dangerously close to tears. Spock leaned up and in and kissed Jim softly. Spock’s lips rested gently against his, softly coaxing his mouth open. Jim moaned slightly as Spock’s tongue brushed against his. It was the sweetest kiss he’d ever gotten and it left him slightly breathless. When Spock drew back, Jim made a noise of protest but following Spock wasn’t an option. When he shifted, painful tremors coursed through his body. He raised an alarmed look at Spock.

“What happened? Is the baby okay?”

Spock nodded, his own hands trembling as he placed them gently over Jim’s hands resting on his stomach.

“The child is fine. We were worried that you, however, might not wake up.” Spock spoke. “The phaser fire almost killed both of you. If you hadn’t called me across the link…” Spock trailed off.

Jim blinked as it all came rushing back to him. Bones telling him he was going to have a son. Happy, brilliant exhilaration and walking into his quarters only to find Uhura waiting there. A phaser aimed at him, his arms futile in trying to block it and screaming for Spock. She’d tried to kill him. She’d tried to kill his child. Jim felt sick. He could have lost his son. He could be empty and alone and…

“You’re sure the baby’s fine?” He asked desperately.

“Very sure t’hy’la.” Spock said and clutched at his hands. Jim gripped back as hard as he could.



*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*



“Nyota Uhura, you are herby sentenced to being marooned on Solax Ten. You are to be banished for the duration of the rest of your life. You will be given no supplies save your personal items as long as they have no electrical or broadcasting components.”

Spock spoke the sentencing in front of all the Vulcans and humans aboard. Jim was watching alongside McCoy in sickbay on a projecting screen. His t’hy’la still hadn’t recovered completely yet.

Most of the humans present looked slightly ill at what they considered to be a harsh punishment. Solax Ten was an unforgiving planet. It was as good as a death sentence, especially since Uhura wouldn’t be given any appropriate tools to survive. Still, Spock wasn’t especially worried about the humans’ reactions. Most had rallied quickly to condemn her for trying to kill Jim and his unborn child when word had gotten out. And word always got out, especially on a starship. Gossip was a currency as legitimate as credits in some situations.

All of the Vulcans were in complete agreement with his ruling. The human female was a threat to the first successful attempt at a male carrying a human-Vulcan hybrid child. She had tried to undermine the decisions and hope for their combined future. She would never be accepted by any Vulcan as a genetic contributor for a child let alone be judged worthy to become anyone’s mate. She had also proven to be capable to rile up several cadets serving on the Enterprise “ inspiring the threat of mutiny. The three cadets that had unwittingly helped her obtain the access codes to his quarters would spend a month in the brig at Jim’s insistence. Spock would have marooned all of them “ on separate hostile planets.