RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +







Story Notes:
This story is unbeta’d. Also, I have only seen the movie once back in October and have never read the comics so I’m aware that there may be discrepancies in the details of the story. Just remember that this is a work of fiction and some details may have been altered to make it work.



*~*~*~*~*


Agent John Myers, top student of his high school, high honours in university, first agent of his unit, FBI trained, hand picked by Bruttenholm himself to join the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense…

*BUUURPP*

…. Professional baby-sitter. John rolled his eyes at his charge and friend, at the sight of the large demon engulfing enormous amounts of syrup-soaked pancakes at an alarming rate. The young agent reached down to pet a cat that was rubbing its head against his leg. “Hey Red, you better slow it down before you choke.”

Hellboy scoffed and gulped down a gallon of milk before turning green on gold eyes on him. “It takes a lot of food to power this amazing engine, ‘Scout,” he said, grinning while gesturing at his body with his flesh hand. “I gotta give it what it needs and I gotta do it fast.”

John opened his mouth, but before he was able to make a sound, the loud squeals of klaxon alarms flooded the room and agents could be heard running around outside in the hall. Hellboy stood up suddenly, scattering the cats around in into a howling frenzy, and lunged towards the door. He grabbed at the first agent he could get his hands on and John appeared at his side.

“What’s going on?” Hellboy demanded.

“There’s…”

“Hellboy, put him down.” An amphibious being appeared suddenly out of nowhere. Hellboy growled and released his grasp of the stuttering man and glowered at his friend. Abe returned an expressionless stare.

“Abe, what’s happening out here?” John asked.

“There appears to be some sort of ambush in the main building of the BPRD. A pack of demons I have never encountered before. A most curious species.”

“Ambush? Then what the hell are we standing around here for?” Hellboy took off towards the direction of the commotion, pushing people out of his way. John and Abe followed behind, trying to catch up to him and not wanting to miss out on the action.

“Is there anything type of Intel we’ve received about these creatures yet?” John yelled across at Abe.

“Not much. We do know that they are very resistant to missile weaponry and they deliver some sort of paralytic venom through their sharp fangs.”

By the time they reached the building, Hellboy was already suited up with all sorts of guns and ammunition, The Samaritan held firmly in his hand. “I’m going in Blue,” he yelled. “Make sure Boyscout stays out of the way.”

“Dammit Hellboy, we’re supposed to working together!” But the large half-demon was already blasting away with his weapons and penetrating the war zone, so John’s protests fell on deaf ears. The young agent took a look around him and took in the mayhem. There were already more then a few bodies scattered all around the grassy land that surrounded the large building. It seemed that blood touched everything in sight.

Abe knelt to the ground and hovered the tarnished land with his webbed hands, deep in concentration. “So much evil, such primal emotions… this is a very primitive based demon. There is no real goal here, only the need to feed.”

Cocking his own gun and making sure that it was fully loaded, John began to enter into the destructive scene.

“Is that a wise move John?”

“What do you mean Blue?” he scowled.

“Going against Hellboy’s orders.” The merman blinked calmly. John gave no answer and continued into the building, pausing only briefly to take in what was going on in front of him.

The demons responsible for the havoc were literally giant cats. The muscular bodies were feline in nature, covered in short black hair, and deadly sharp claws and fangs were currently tearing away at whatever was in their sight. John shuddered as one such demon suddenly took an interest in him, its golden eyes making eye contact with him. A loud, high-pitched hiss emitted from the demon, nearly piercing John’s eardrums, and the man found himself dropping to his knees. His hands covered his ears in a desperate attempt to buffer them from the deadly sound.

In the distance somewhere he can hear Hellboy yelling for him. Shaking his head in a daze, John blinked his eyes and suddenly found the tormenting cat demon looming over him, its mouth opened wide and a serum of sorts dripping from the long fangs. John scrambled for his gun and shot a series of fire at the demon, but to his astonishment the bullets simply reflected off of the tough skin.

It stood, continuing to stare at its prey, and its golden eyes began to darken and cloud over. John could only stare, stuck in a hypnotized state. Then, before he knew it, the set of teeth that was so close to him one moment was suddenly deeply embedded in his shoulder. John screamed at the pain and felt his limbs slowly become numb. He screamed harder when he realized that he was losing sensation and motor skill in his body, until finally even his vocal chords froze. Everything turned black when he fainted due to lack of oxygen.

His respiratory organs had paralyzed.

>>>>>

“John? Hey Boy scout… c’mon, open up those brown eyes for your Uncle Red.” John heard a voice in the distance and blurry images were the only thing he can make out. He turned towards the sound of the person speaking and could only make out a red blur.

“I believe he is finally coming back to us.” John turned his head towards the source of the new voice and encountered a blue blur.

“Abe?” he managed to croak.

“Indeed I am.” Abe sounded pleased. “We were worried about you, dear friend. You were in dire situations and we almost lost you.”

“Wh’t… happn’d?”

“The demons that had attacked are called Felesdaemn. It is literally translated as ‘feline demon’. They basically paralyze their victims with their venom and take off with the bodies for food. However, we were able to reach you before they could carry you off with them and immediately injected you with epinephrine. You have been hooked up to a respirator for the past three days now and…”

“Three?” John’s vision had cleared and he was able to make out Abe’s aquatic features and Hellboy’s unamused expression.

“Three days, young friend,” Abe confirmed. “We only took it off of you this morning when we found you able to breathe on your own.”

“How did you manage to destroy them?”

“We didn’t,” Hellboy growled. “They took off like the ‘fraidy cats they were all of the sudden, taking off for no reason at all. And speaking of taking off for no reason… you wanna explain yourself to me Boyscout?”

John looked up at him, confused. “Explain what?” His voice was much stronger now.

“Didn’t I tell you to stay behind with Abe? You’ve could’ve gotten yourself killed… in fact, you almost did!”

“Red, I was only trying to…”

“Trying to what? Get in my way? I can’t always be looking out after you Squirt, okay?” Hellboy suddenly found his mouth moving quicker then his brain. He clamped his lips together, realizing that it was too late to take back what was said. Guilt bit at his gut, taking in the look of hurt on the young human’s face. Even Abe was speechless.

Not knowing how to remedy what had occurred, Hellboy did the only thing he knew how to do and walked out of the room, looking for something to hit.

>>>>>

John was still trying to get his muddled head wrapped around what had just transpired. The comment stabbed into his heart like a cliché twisted knife. He was only trying to do his job and help Hellboy…

…He was only trying to keep the one he loved safe.

“You know he does not mean a word of that, John. But realize that he was scared for you these last few days, and he does not know how to express it.”

That brought John up short. “He… he was scared for me?”

“He cares for you more then you realize, John. Perhaps even more then he realizes. But enough about Red, there’s something else I must tell you.”

John took in the serious look on the merman’s face and braced himself for news that he was sure he was not going to like.

“When that Felesdaemn bit you, it not only left venom in your system, but its protein marker as well. Much like a mosquito and other types of parasites. We were able to flush the venom out of your body, but we have not been able to come up with an antibiotic to the protein yet.”

“So, what does that mean exactly?”

Abe paused as he carefully considered his words. “From what we can tell from your blood tests, your body has not been able to come up with its own defense. Instead, it is slowly adapting to the foreign marker and beginning to differentiate to a similar make up.”

“Dumb it down a bit for me will ya, Blue?”

“John,” Abe took a pale hand in one of his blue ones. “You are slowly becoming a Felesdaemn.”