RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
Due to reader reaction, I decided to continue the story.



*~*~*~*~*


The slender branches wavered slightly in the warm spring breezes. As the soft scents of McIntosh and Honeycrisp blossoms sweetened the air, the sense of tranquility failed to reach the young man staring despondently into the man-made pond. Silhouetted against the pinks and purples of the sinking sun, the figure wore his misery like a cloak.

The now shoulder-length hair, framed a face that had softened to the point of prettiness, as his body changed to accommodate the life within. His hands stroked the swollen belly contained in his loose white cotton shirt. Light blue loose slacks and bare feet completed the ensemble.

"When did life become so complicated?" The koi, raising their heads to receive more of the food being thrown in the water, provided no answers to his musings. John sighed as he gazed into the water, wishing that it held the answers to the mysteries of the universe, all the while knowing that this was one problem that he had to solve himself. Breathing deeply, he absently pushed back the hair the mild breeze displaced. "If anyone out there has any answers, I would really, really appreciate them."

"Perhaps you already have them, but your head denies what your heart is telling you."

Smiling, John acknowledged the soft tones. "Abe, I wondered when I would hear from you."

"I would have come sooner, John T. Myers, but you are a man who has many demons with which to wrestle."

The sad smile that came to John's face was heartbreaking. "No pun intended."

"I would never tease you about your feelings for Red."

"Uncle Thad."

The thin, weathered man turned, holding out the blanket that he brought for his nephew. Once robust, the cancer that was slowly eating away his insides left him a shadow of his former self. Nevertheless, the brown eyes sparkled with mischief and strength as he regarded his nephew.

"Has anyone told you that you are a terrible schatchen?"

"If that means, 'kicking you in your butt to get you jumpstarted in the right direction'… I definitely resemble that remark," Thaddeus replied as John took the blanket.

John attempted to scowl at Abe's chuckle but gave a self-deprecating grin along with a shrugged shoulder. "You try loving a 6' 2" red, half-demon and tell me life is a bowl of cherries." Starting, he froze as he realized what he said.

"You do love him, don't you?" Thaddeus asked.

Heart racing, John looked out over the pond. "Loving him was not the problem. Being in love with him only brought pain."

"Only pain?" Although Abe's voice was kind, John could not meet his gaze. He gave him another one shouldered shrug.

"John?" his uncle asked, "Don't you think it's time to come back to the house, before it starts to cool down soon?"

"Just a little longer… please? I'm just… I need to think."

Thaddeus cast a look at Abe, "Alright, but don't make me have to come back and get you."

John smiled, "You won't, I promise." As the older man turned to leave, John whispered, "Thank you."

Nodding his acknowledgment of John's words, Thaddeus walked back towards the house.

"If you like, I will also leave you to your thoughts."

"No, stay." Abe moved to assist John as he lowered himself into the deck lounger, "Why don't you slip into the pond? The water is still quite warm; I think you'll enjoy it. I just want to sit and relax for a while."

"Your emotions are rather strong and I fear experiencing private thoughts…."

"Please… stay."

Abe acquiesced by removing his breathing apparatus and diving gracefully into the blue water. John watched the fish man's lazy strokes, unaware that the hands caressing his belly were in perfect synch with Abe's movements. The crickets chirped as the companionable silence stretched into the twilight.

"Do you think I'm wrong?"

"What?"

"Do you think I'm wrong? You know- to not tell him… about the baby."

"I think this is a decision that only you can make."

John looked beseechingly to the heavens, but since no answer seemed to be forthcoming, he spoke to the baby. "How can I tell him, but how can I not tell him?" He paused, frowning, "All my life, I only wanted to do what was right. I thought I was helping him, but now… but now."

Myers settled back onto the lounger, snuggling under the blanket as he rested his hand on his belly. Soon he was whispering to the precious life within, "I don't remember much about my parents but I know my dad cared about me a great deal. I remember dad and me going to baseball games where he always bought me ice cream and hot dogs with chili. It was such a great time." A wistful smile formed as he asked, "Do you think you'd like that? Baseball, hot dogs and ice cream, or will you want nachos? Your other dad just can't get enough of them."

John watched Abe floating serenely; the scene took on a surrealistic tone.

"A pregnant man, talking to his quarter demon baby, watching a fish man swimming in his uncle's koi farm, can life get any weirder?"

Still, no epiphany was forthcoming, so John settled for rolling onto his side as he continued to watch Abe.

"I loved him so much, but I don't remember much about my mom. I know her name was Helen and that she loved me very much. She was always cooking Peach pies because that was my and my dad's favorite." He paused, smiling. "Peach pie and fried chicken." A sigh as he shifted to relieve the pressure on his bladder, "Uncle Thad told me that mom and dad drove off one night, and never returned. The authorities found nothing… no crashed car, no bodies…nothing, just disappeared."

"That's when your uncle took you in."

John nodded and ran a hand over his belly, "I was six years old. I remember looking up to see this giant standing over me. He grunted, said he was my uncle, and that I was going to be staying with him for a while. I waved goodbye to my sisters and brothers, then got into the car, and we drove off." John was quiet, transfixed as he watched Abe float in the pond. "I don't remember falling asleep, but the next thing I knew, it was morning and Uncle Thad was in the kitchen singing- Route 66."

Abe chuckled, "Sounds like an interesting time."

"It was." John pulled the blanket tighter, "He loves jazz and Big Bands…he rebuilt a big old floor model radio, and on summer days, I could hear the music from it floating in through my bedroom window. He also loved radio mystery programs. We didn't have a television but the images from those shows will always be in my mind." He smiled sadly and shifted again. "No, we didn't have TV, but I was allowed to read comics books."

"That's when you first heard about Hellboy."

"Yeah…Blue?"

"Yes?"

"Do you mind if we don't talk anymore?"

"No, John Myers, I don't mind at all."

*Silence*

"Thank you Abe."

"For?"

"Not trying to convince me to go back to him."

"It is your decision."

John closed his eyes. "How long can you stay?"

"As long as you need me."

*Pause*

"We'll go back at the end of the week."

"As you wish."

"Thanks."

An hour later, Thaddeus approached the dock.

Abe looked up at the approaching figure. "He's sleeping."

Thaddeus bent over, and tucking the blanket around Myers, lifted him into his arms. "What did he decide?"

"We're going back."

Thaddeus regarded the sleeping man warmly. "Good. He really loves him."

"Yes."

"I hope they can work it out."

"As do I, sir. As do I."