RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


"JOHN!" HB wasn't aware that he had spoken the name aloud. "John… how is this possible?" He had to get to the young agent, but if he wasn't in his room, then where was he? "Abe." Clutching both pictures, HB ran out of the room. "You have some mighty big explaining to do, Boy scout." HB was just turning the corner that led to the lab, when he heard a shout.

"Liz! Don't!"

Then he felt the scorching heat….

Thirty minutes earlier

The communication device in the lab chimed.

"Abe, here… yes Director Manning… yes… that report has been completed and… I can have one of the other agents bring it to you. I do not know… I don't feel comfortable leaving him… He is in perfectly good health, just a little run down… I just do not think I should leave him alone… I… I…"

Exasperated, Abe turned to John who started to chuckle, almost laughing aloud as he could have sworn that the amphibian man did a passable imitation of rolling his eyes.

"If you wish…yes sir… I will see you in a few minutes." Frustrated, Abe resisted the urge to fling the device across the room. I can see why Red thinks you are a dickhead.

"Manning giving you grief?"

"Yes. He wishes me to give him a report on some recent paranormal activity…"

"…and you feel he can wait."

Abe turned towards the table and set the device down. "Or at least read the report for himself. My conclusions are clearly stated."

"Blue…you can go. Really, it's fine, I don't need a babysitter."

Abe turned gentle eyes on the gravid young man. "John, I am sorry. I did not mean…"

John's eyes were full of compassion and a sadness that was so fleeting that Abe wasn't sure whether he actually saw it. "I know." The bed began to rise. When it was in a slightly inclined position, John released the control. "I know, and I didn't mean to snap. It's just so frustrating. Brice and Richards…"

"Are just two agents."

"But that's the point. They are agents. Agents who work with the paranormal on a daily basis, and it's not just them…I've seen the looks that they cast my way. I can hear the murmurs." He turned his head away. "I shouldn't have come back. I feel like such a freak." Stillness permeated the room as John realized what he just said, even worse, to whom he had said it. "Abe, I-I'm so sorry." He was hesitant to turn, fearing the disgust he was sure he would see in the other's eyes; however Abe was smiling.

"You know, John T. Myers, I remember having a conversation like this with another confused young person."

Both men were silent.

Abe's heart wrenched. John, if only… He looked around for his copy of the report. "I will be back as soon as possible. If you need me before that, promise that you will contact me."

John lay back and closed his eyes. "I promise."

Abe regarded the young agent for a moment longer, then shaking his head, he went to see Manning.

"Hey little one," John rubbed his bulge as he spoke to the life growing in there, "your Uncle Abe is a bit of a worrywart, don't you think?" A gentle kick was the answer to his question. John laughed. "I see you agree… I just wish your daddy cared half as much about me as he does." He rolled onto his side trying to find some relief. "You sure enjoy lying on my bladder don't you?" John reached for the controls and raised the head of the bed into a sitting position, then swung his legs over the side and attempted to stand. "Of course you waited until Abe was gone before you made me have to go pee." He was looking down for his house shoes when he heard the quiet snick of the door opening. "Abe, thank goodness you've come back. Junior has decided that I needed a bathroom run."

"So it is true!"

John turned and then gasped. "Liz?"

"You've come back to take him away from me!"

Red was in full angry demon mode as he raced through the complex.

"First the squirt leaves me, he leaves me and then he gets pregnant by someone else. He slept with someone else."

"Red…"

"WHAT!" The dark look and growl that Hellboy turned on the agent who dared intrude on his thoughts sent the man scrambling back the way he came, the interruption caused Red to slow down.

Why was he so angry with Myers? We never made any promises. Besides… I have Liz. Red rolled his shoulders. Yeah, she loves me and would never betray me like he did.

Grinning, Red sauntered towards the lab. Right, Liz loves me and John is probably better off without me. He shivered. Whoa, where did that come from? Looking around, the demon bellowed, "Krause is that you? If you're messin' with me, I'm gonna kick your ass." Nothing. Gotta find Myers. The saunter became a fast walk, which became a loping jog, and finally a full out run.

"Liz! Don't!"

Heart pounding, Red crashed into the lab doors. Manning had once bragged that the Bureau of Paranormal Research was one of the most secure sites in the word. The security system was primed to detect an insect as small as lice at 500 yards. The thick metal doors were designed to withstand a megaton blast of explosives. Whether this was an exaggeration on Manning's part or a true estimation of the building, no one know; however, it can be stated with certainty that no one involved in the design or the building of the structure took into account the anger and desperation of a nearly 300 lbs demon-man. Red's first blow caused the doors to buckle, but they still held firm under the weight of the angry demon.

"John!" he roared and brought both fists down onto the doors. With a groan the doors crashed to the floor and the wall of heat that blasted Red knocked him to the floor.

Pain, white hot, roared through his body as he struggled to one knee.

What was the number of the train- the thought choked off as he focused on the scene before him. Liz and John stood facing each other locked in a macabre dance. Blue flame enveloped Liz's body. Beakers bubbled and burst and the water is Abe's tank was boiling as tongues of flames spread from the fire-starter's fingers and wrapped around John's body. As Red watched, the clothes melted from the agent's body.

Lurching to his feet, his throat parched by the intense heat, Red croaked out, "John," and reached towards the man.

John was caught upright; trembling as if high current zigged and zagged through his body, his mouth opening and closing, like a fish caught on a hook.

"My baby-" John said. He turned to Red. The tears that fell from his eyes resembled lines of flames. He groaned, his mouth stretching impossibly wide. "Don't kill my baby!"

Red stumbled forward, but his knees gave way. "Liz-stop it! You're killing him!"

White, pupil-less eyes focused on his. "He dares to take what is mine!"

"No!" Red lunged forward. A ball of flame sent him flying. The air whooshed out of tortured lungs as he collided with the corridor wall. Lying there, his heart thumped when John crashed to his knees. He shook his head, noticing Abe was running toward him, followed by Manning and several other agents.

"What the hell-" Manning's shout was cut off as the agents ducked the fireball rolling towards them. "Agent Sherman, I order you to cease and desist-" he kissed the floor when Abe tackled him.

"Director Manning, I advise you to stay down." Abe urged.

"You have to do something." Manning was struggling to get out from under the fish man.

Heat radiated up Red's arm. He swung around and despite the heat; chills raced up his spine. Undulating glowing tendrils of red and white rose from Liz's scalp. A cord whipped towards Red, wrapping around his arm.

"Liz! Stop it!" The rang caused the woman to pause, then the corners of her lips turned up, blue flashed hiss from between her teeth heading directly towards him.

"Damn!" Pain shot up through his arm and shoulder as bone separated when he threw himself away from the fiery stream. The movement caused the tendril to loosen its grip.

"Liz…."

The glowing woman's fluid movements resembled an underwater ballet as she first her head, then the rest of her body towards the voice. "My-" Thick ropes of crimson flame wrapped around her body. She writhed, shrieking as the ropes tightened. But the flame, flowing from Myer's fingertips, deepened in color causing the cords to constrict and bound the fire starter even tighter.

Liz's eyes squeezed together and she bared her teeth. "I. Shall. Be. Free." The walls in the room began to warp as the flames from a thousand suns burst forth from the straining figure. The tendrils extending from John crackled and exploded and the force catapulted him across the room.

"John!" Red surged up from the floor.

The blazing woman sensed the movement and turned. Red caught her with a glancing blow to the chin; even though it lacked his usually power, she crumbled and the flame retreated back into her body. Myers slumped forward, his head to the ground, his arms wrapped about his abdomen. Red moved to take him in his arms.

"Take her to our fireproof holding cell." Manning pushed Abe off him and stood up, brushing off his suit coat. "Abe." He turned to the scientist. "Is there something that we can give her to make her more-manageable?"

"Yes. I have a limited supply of Thorazine-"

"Order more, as much as you need."

Abe's slight incline of his head was the only indication that he heard. "Red?" Hellboy was stroking Myer's hair. "We need to get him to the medical section."

Hellboy nodded. "Hey, Squirt." Red caressed the kneeling agent trembled feeling the goose bumps rising over his body. "We need to check you out." Red had to strain to hear the quiet reply.

"She wanted to kill me…to kill us."

Abe raise a hand to touch Myers, but was brought up short by Hellboy's growl.

"Don't- don't touch him. I'll take him to Medical."

Abe nodded. "As you wish. I'll go check on Liz."

Hellboy's nostrils flared. "You do that." He continued to stroke Myer's hair while his eyes narrowed at Abe's retreat. "Myers…"

"How could she hate him? How could she hate your baby so much?"

With these words, Myers slumped into unconsciousness.