RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +







Story Notes:
This is my first CSI fic, so please don't flame but give helpful reviews. Flames will be flushed down the toilet



*~*~*~*~*


"Where is Grissom? He hasn't arrived yet. It's not like him to be late," Warrick said as he stood up. Catherine and he had been waiting for the others to start their daily meeting. Catherine shrugged her shoulders noncommittally. Warrick was about to leave Grissom's office to find his missing team members when Greg and Nick entered and sat at the conference table in their usual places.

"Catherine, Brass called! We have a rape case!" Sara announced emotionally, closing the office door behind her with a slam. "Grissom's our vic," she added in a hushed voice, causing Greg and Nick to gasp loudly. Warrick was too perplexed to respond, standing immobile next to Catherine whose eyes had widened in shock at the unexpected news.

"Greg, you're going to the Desert Palm Hospital. Warrick, Sara you will go to Brass and Nick and I will take the crime scene," Catherine instructed, rapidly taking command of the team. Their boss needed their professional help and support. There wasn't any room for error.

******

Greg hurried towards the hospital and entered Grissom's room. The man lay on the bed, his face pale and tear tracks on his cheeks. Greg's heart ached as he watched his friend's pained eyes flutter open. A brief flash of recognition lighted his eyes. "Greg?"

"Hey, Griss," Greg said softly while smiling, hoping it would calm the older man. "What happened?"

"I heard a noise and went to look in the alley," Grissom whispered. He had witnessed a woman being assaulted, never thinking twice about stepping into the dangerous situation and interrupting the assault. He had stepped into the alley without thinking about his own safety. The other man's strength had surprised him and the memory of being overpowered by him was threatening to overwhelm him. His breathing was speeding up and he couldn't stop his tears from falling. Strong arms were wrapped around him again, restraining his movements. Startled, Grissom struggled against them, not realizing Greg was trying to comfort him.

"Shh. I'm here. Nobody is going to hurt you any longer," Greg whispered softly while trying to hold the man in his arms. He had often dreamed about holding this man in a loving embrace, but he had never pictured this scenario.

Grissom finally stilled at the familiar sound of Greg's voice and quietly accepted the young scientist's comfort. The warmth and tenderness from his younger team member was soothing but too tempting. He couldn't let his personal feelings for Greg interfere with their job. It was going to be painful and embarrassing but it was unavoidable. A shiver traveled across his body before he pulled back from Greg's embrace. "You need to perform the rape kit on me," he said, in a calm and neutral tone.

Greg nodded and grabbed the kit. He started with Grissom's back and found several cuts and bruises. Bruises, which were shaped in the form of fists and the cuts looked like they were made by a flick-knife. After taking the necessary photos, he took some of the blood on his friend's lower back. He collected several fibres and hairs. Greg reached the older man's lower waist and gasped loudly when he saw blood dripping from a small crevice behind Grissom's balls. He gently lifted the ball sack and exposed a vagina. "Grissom, you're a hermaphrodite?" Greg asked surprised.

Grissom had frozen during Greg's examination him, especially when his secret was out. He whimpered when cool air brushed his lower body.

"I need to take some cultures of the cervix to make sure you don't have any STDs. Do you have all the female parts or just the vagina?" Greg questioned.

"All," Grissom mumbled embarrassed.

"Then I'll have to check you for pregnancy as well," Greg said and began gently working on Grissom's body.

Grissom closed his eyes and lay on his back, spreading his legs. Of all his team members, he wished that Greg hadn't been chosen to perform this task. Forced to reveal his secret, any hope of his closely guarded feelings for the man being returned was now lost forever. He winced when he felt Greg softly touch his vagina to finish the rape kit. Grissom whimpered when Greg's finger only managed to slip in to the first knuckle and began crying again when the young man closed his legs and covered him with a blanket.

"You need to see your doctor in two weeks. The doctor will have the results of the tests by then," Greg instructed his friend and waited until he received a small nod.

Greg finished the rape kit and quietly told his friend that he would be outside waiting for Catherine, trying to give Grissom some privacy. When he stood outside, he drew deep breaths before sitting down. It didn't take long before Catherine and Nick showed up. "How is he?" Catherine asked.

"Not good. He was brutally raped," Greg managed to croak out, leaving out the hermaphrodite part for now. They would find out soon enough after examining the results of the rape kit.

"I want to see him," Nick said and was about to step inside when they heard an emotional cry of pain. Greg immediately stood up and raced back into the room, only to see Grissom ripping up the pillow he had been hugging while he continued crying.

Nick was surprised to see Grissom leaping into Greg's arms, but decided to keep quiet about it, disturbed by Grissom's obvious distress. "Grissom, we're here. Is there..." he started, anxious to help his colleague and friend. A mournful wail interrupted him and Nick could see the older man cowering at the sound of his voice and seeking refuge by burrowing himself deeper in Greg's embrace.

In the meanwhile, Greg had managed to rearrange himself against the headboard of the hospital bed with a crying and whimpering man in his arms. His tears came as well as he cried for Grissom's pain, remembering his own pain from so long ago.

Catherine didn't know what to do. Her boss was breaking down in front of her and in Greg's arms. It looked like the man would only trust Greg. Grissom had confided in her about his crush on Greg and now, as she watched the two men, she knew Greg felt the same. The only thing she could offer them was some privacy. With a small nod of her head, Catherine urged Nick to leave the room and she closed the door behind her. Then, by tacit agreement, they stood guard and made sure no one else came in.

By the time Warrick and Sara arrived, Catherine was still holding the rape kit Greg had performed. They tried to enter the room, only to be stopped by Nick. Although puzzled by their colleagues' silence and Greg's absence, Warrick and Sara didn't call them on it and sat down on the uncomfortable hospital chairs nearby.

Meanwhile, Grissom had eventually calmed enough to leave the safety of Greg's arms and shuffle his way into the small hospital bathroom, urged by the need to get rid of any traces of his attacker and feel clean again. Greg heard the splash of running water that indicated Grissom was in the shower and settled himself in the hospital bed. He knew that the man would want to sleep as soon as he returned. Victims of abuse usually had to deal not only with pain and shame of the assault but also nightmares and fitful sleep. There wasn't any room for doubts; Greg knew he had to help his friend and secret crush in this difficult time. Having made his decision, Greg grabbed another pillow and propped himself against the headboard, waiting for Grissom to come out of the bathroom. He would spend the night with him and let the older man sleep in his embrace to make him feel loved and safe. He only hoped Grissom wouldn't reject his help.

Catherine, who had heard the shower as well, slowly made her way into the room, leaving the others outside. "Greg, how is he?"

"Not good at all. When the doctor gives permission, I want to take him home," Greg announced calmly, but determined. His eyes were fixed on the bathroom door.

Grissom looked at himself in the mirror and sighed. He still felt dirty after the hot shower. He had heard Greg speaking to the others earlier, surprised that he had withheld the information about Grissom being a hermaphrodite. He was grateful for the young scientist's tact but Grissom was well aware that his secret would be revealed as soon as the others analysed the contents of the rape kit. His body was still wracked by shivers and he wished he could be held in Greg's arms again, the young man had made him feel safe. But he couldn't let himself hope for Greg's affection anymore. Despite his support, Grissom was sure that the young man and his co-workers would have a difficult time adjusting to the fact he was a hermaphrodite. It had happened before. Maybe it was time for a transfer...

Grissom opened the bathroom door slowly but halted midway. His heart jumped at the realization that Greg was lying under the covers of his bed, in a silent invitation to offer him the comfort and safety he craved for. He wanted nothing more than run into bed and snuggle against Greg's warm body, but stopped himself from doing so when he noticed Catherine was in the room as well. He looked into Greg's eyes and saw the small nod. Grissom couldn't give a damn anymore and sprinted towards the bed, jumping into Greg's embrace and burrowing himself under the blankets.

Catherine's eyes widened when a hospital-gown-covered Grissom ran past her and into Greg's embrace. She smiled; Grissom was going to be okay as long as Greg was there. She walked out of the room, determined to find the perp who had caused this.

"Guys, let's go. Grissom is staying with Greg," Catherine announced softly and guided her group out of the hospital. The group left the hospital building and moved towards the parking lot, not noticing the presence of a large bulky man standing outside in the alley near the emergency entrance.

As soon as the others were out of sight, the man walked calmly into the hospital. Stepping out of the elevator, he looked around before he walked to a nurse. "I'm looking for Gil Grissom."

"Are you family?" the nurse questioned.

"Yes, I'm his uncle," the man lied straight-faced.

"He's in room 216," the nurse answered before walking away.

Grissom stirred and opened his eyes to look at the sleeping face of Greg. He reached up and softly trailed his fingers along the relaxed face. He snapped his head up when the hospital door opened and a familiar looking man stepped inside. He whimpered loudly, causing Greg to wake up and hold him protectively in his arms.

"Who the hell are you?" Greg demanded harshly while holding a frightened Grissom and trying to protect him.

The man, who hadn't expected someone with his victim, stopped in his tracks. He started moving backwards towards the door and failed to notice the door opening behind him. The incoming nurse bumped against him and the tray of medication she was holding in her hands fell on the floor with a loud clatter. Startled, the man hurriedly left the room and ran out of the hospital only few moments later.

The nurse followed him and ran to the nurse's station to sound the alarm and call for security but, by the time they reacted, it was too late. The man had escaped.

It didn't take very long for the team of investigators to find their way back to Grissom's room, alerted by the alarm that had been triggered when they were about to leave the parking lot. None of them had seen the intruder. A nurse stopped their entrance into the room, stating that the doctor had been called and that no one could visit Mr. Grissom until then.

Meanwhile, the incident had made Greg realise he was no longer willing to risk Grissom's safety and leave the man to deal with the assault on his own. They had to leave the hospital and go to a safer location where he could protect Grissom. "Come on, Sweet. Let's get you dressed. We've got to get you out of here," Greg instructed softly, not noticing that he had used his endearment for Grissom.

Grissom didn't miss the endearment, though, and he was touched that someone cared enough about him to give him such a nickname. Carefully, he got out of bed with Greg's help and began dressing himself.

"What are you doing?" the doctor demanded to know when he entered the room.

"Gil isn't safe here. I'm taking him with me," Greg announced, again not noticing he had used Grissom's first name. He began helping the older man into the clothes that Catherine had brought with her. Grissom's trembling hands were having trouble with the jeans' buttons until they were softly slapped away and Greg finished the task for him.

Greg pecked Grissom on his cheek before helping him into his sweater. The lead investigator was no longer focused on the task of getting dressed and merely reacted to Greg's instructions, closely watching his friend. The light kiss, another small piece of evidence of Greg's affection, had stunned Grissom into silence. After all that had happened and the examination the young man had performed earlier, Grissom had been sure that he had lost his chance with Greg. Acceptance and love had been rare commodities in his life. The kiss had been brief but held a promise for more and hope flared again in Grissom's heart.

Greg's hands inadvertently brushed against one of the bruises on Grissom's shoulder. The sudden pain took his memory back to the moment when large strong hands had held him down to the ground during the rape only a few hours ago and Grissom shuddered.

"Shh. You're safe. You're going to stay with me," Greg whispered. He couldn't stop the protectiveness he felt about the man and couldn't care less if anybody saw it. He would protect Griss...Gil.

The doctor had been watching the two men and realized that the younger man would be able to take care of his patient. "Very well, I'll make up the release papers and I'll give you his medication," the doctor said and walked away.

Grissom was relieved to hear that he could leave the hospital. "Where are we going?" he asked when he realized that Greg probably wouldn't take him to his own place. If his attacker could find him at the hospital, then he was sure the man would find his home.

"We're going somewhere where you and I can't be found and will be very protected," Greg answered as he made Gil wear his jacket. With his arm around Gil's waist, they stepped out of the room and into the hallway to wait for the doctor's return.

Nick, Sara, Warrick and Catherine had been waiting in the hallway. The nurse had been called away but they had been sternly instructed not to disturb her patients. The doctor had come and gone without giving them any information about their boss' condition, only assuring them he would return shortly. The only thing they could do was waiting. When the door finally opened to reveal Greg and Grissom leaving the room they were relieved and hurried to join them.

However, their initial joy at the sight of their friends died quickly. Their eyes widened and eyebrows rose as they watched Greg hugging the older man tightly. Nick, Sara and Warrick watched worriedly at the way their boss was hiding his face in Greg's neck and shivering visibly. They had dealt with rape victims before but it was hard to see how much this strong man had been affected by the ordeal. They had never seen him so vulnerable. Catherine just smiled at the twosome and nodded sadly towards Greg, letting him know of her approval.

"I'm taking him with me somewhere safe. My father will contact you when you need our help or when we need your help," Greg announced softly, making sure nobody else heard him. "I will return alone to give you what I know about the man who entered the room."

"Have you contacted your father already?" Sara questioned.

"No, but he won't say no. This isn't the first time he needs to give protection when someone is hurt badly," Greg answered calmly.

"How can we contact you?" Catherine asked.

"My father will contact you first and then set up several meetings," Greg repeated his answer while taking the papers from the doctor who had returned. "Come on, Sweet."

Three heavy thuds were heard when Nick, Warrick and Sara landed on their chairs, shocked by the endearment. Catherine chuckled at the sight of her three colleagues staring at the two men who were heading towards the elevator.

"Dad, it's me. We're on our way to the cabin," Greg announced when he called his father the moment they stood outside. He was worried at the way Gil clutched him tightly.

******

Having arrived at the cabin after a two-hour drive, Greg gently woke Gil and helped him out of the car. He guided the older man to the cabin where the door had already been opened.

A tall man was waiting for them in the doorway as he watched his son taking care of his friend. The gentle guiding by his son, the fear in the other man's eyes and the way the man clutched to his son made his heart ache. This man must have been badly hurt to react like that. He was acting in exactly the same way his son did many years ago.

"Dad, this is Gil Grissom. Sweet, this is my father," Greg introduced and tried to make Gil let go of his shirt.

"Gil, my name is Marck Sanders and this is my wife Lill Sanders. Come in and Greg will show you your room," Marck said quietly and let them in. His gaze trailed from his son to his wife, who stood in the doorway watching the duo.

***One hour later***

Gil looked around the kitchen and didn't know what to do. Now that they had eaten the light supper Mrs. Sanders had prepared for them, Greg was about to return to Las Vegas. Since Greg had entered the hospital room, Grissom had found safety and comfort in the young man's presence. Greg's behaviour spoke of his protective feelings towards him and after his attacker's surprise visit at the hospital, the young man seemed determined to look after him. Grissom was seeing Greg in a different light.

"When will you be back?" Gil asked softly. He didn't want to be left alone in this cabin, too afraid to be without his protector nearby.

"What does he mean?" Marck questioned when he overheard the question.

"I have to return to let the others know what Gil's attacker looks like. The man came to the hospital," Greg replied.

"No, son, you don't. You can tell your mother what the man looked like and she can sketch him on paper. Greg, you cannot leave Gil here alone with us. He needs your guidance, just like you needed mine seven years ago," Marck stated.

Greg looked from his father to his Sweet and saw relief and hope in Gil's eyes as well as curiosity at his father's words. "Very well. Where's mom?" he agreed.

"She's in the living room," Marck answered and stepped into the living room, leaving Gil and Greg in the kitchen.

"Greg, could you...I...I use the bathroom?" Gil questioned as he looked around to see where it might be.

"Sure, let me show you where it is," Greg said and gently pushed Gil towards his bedroom. "The bathroom is connected to your bedroom. That way you don't have to wander the halls in the dark."

"Greg, thank you," Gil said reassured. "What did your father mean by 'what happened seven years ago'?" he asked curiously.

Greg had expected the question but he had hoped it wouldn't be this soon. "Seven years ago, I was raped by a friend," he whispered, pain still evident in his voice.

Gil didn't know what to say and walked towards his friend. He embraced Greg like the young man had done with him earlier. He felt Greg's arms around him and they held each other for a few moments, before Gil leaned back. He lifted Greg's chin and softly pecked him on the lips.

Greg kissed back only to stop after a few seconds and rested his forehead against Gil's. "You're not ready for this yet, Sweet. First, let's get you used to this cabin, my parents, my brothers and me. We'll see what happens later."

"I know, but do you feel the same way?" Gil asked, still scared about rejection in spite of the loving way Greg had kissed him back.

"Yes, Sweet, I have felt the same way for a long time now. Why don't you use the bathroom while I go downstairs? I need to get my mom to draw your attacker. I'll be back soon," Greg said softly, gently pushing Gil towards the bathroom.