RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we get a full introduction to Ranma’s five feline companions. Watch for cat speech and some wicked plot twists, revelations, fierce battles, and nifty powers.
// // = cat speech



*~*~*~*~*


“This is an OUTRAGE!! An insult to the Ambassador, his family, and our great nation!!”

Mr. Tsugi closed his eyes and wondered for the hundredth time whatever had possessed him to take a job in the Ministry’s foreign relations office. His father had made the work he did sound so wonderful, so important. Why had he ever believed the conniving old bastard? “Please calm down Mr. Dupree, I’m sure this is all just a simple misunderstanding.” He said with what he hoped was a calming tone.

But the French official wouldn’t calm down, if anything he became even more incensed.

“MISUNDERSTANDING??!!! Your assistant assured the Ambassador that his daughter’s tour of the local high school would run smoothly, that she would be perfectly safe at Furinkan!”

FURINKAN?!! Furinkan as in school full of crazed martial artists, school that housed two thirds of the Demented Trio Furinkan?? Damn that Shizuo! The miserable little twerp had really done it now! Tsugi didn’t care if Shizuo’s uncle was a high ranking official when he got through with that brat the boy would be lucky to find a job hauling garbage!

That is if he himself retained any power after this whole disaster was over.

“Not ten minutes after she arrived at Furinkan her bodyguards were attacked, knocked unconscious, and she is being sexually molested by this poetry spouting, wooden-sword carrying madman!”

Sword carrying…poetry…Oh Kami, it was that moron Tatawaki Kuno. Could this mess get any worse??

Apparently it could.

“Thankfully one of her guards recovered enough to subdue her attacker with a couple of dozen well placed maximum-level tazer charges. Once the others were awake the boy was restrained and police summoned to arrest him. While they were waiting the school’s principal arrived. The head of Mademoiselle Jacques’s protection unit described the man as and I quote ‘a freaky looking creature dressed in an overly loud Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and appeared to have a tiny palm tree growing out of his head’ end quote.”

(Oh shit! Where’s the Tylenol!) Tsugi began searching through his cluttered drawers for the blessed bottle of sanity saving drugs. Once he found it Tsugi spent several seconds trying to pry the bottle open, silently cursing the moron that created these damn child-proof caps, you needed a child to open the stupid things! Freeing the lid he shook out two pills and popped them in his mouth, then thought a second, and took four more.

“The second after he laid eyes on Mademoiselle Jacques the principal pulled out an electric razor, started yelling something about her needing a bowl cut, and tried to attack her. One of the guards shot him before he got within five feet.”

“Is he dead?” Tsugi knew Kami wasn’t going to be that gracious to him today.

“No.”

Well that cut the upcoming grueling paperwork in half even if it would’ve saved him loads of it later. “So Mademoiselle Jacques left Furinkan then without any further incident?”

From the expression on Dupree’s face that wasn’t the case.

“Far from it. Security deemed Furinkan High far too dangerous and attempted to evacuate before anything else happened. Just ten feet away from the gates they were intercepted by a girl wearing a gymnast’s leotard and twirling a long red ribbon. She said something about her ‘Darling Ranma’ and tried to attack Mademoiselle Jacques while calling her all manner of foul and demeaning names like harlot and whore. Two security guards suffered serious lacerations while another may lose the use of his right arm due to severed nerves and muscles. The other agents managed to take the girl down by sheer weight of numbers.”

Forget the Tylenol; give him valium, lots and lots of valium.

“Now Mr. Tsugi, I demand to know just what you and your government are going to do to apologize for this gross insult??”

Maybe he should just skip the valium entirely and go strait onto the really hard stuff. Heroine sounded nice right now.

&&&

Fifteen seconds after the news of the bizarre attacks on the visiting French Ambassador’s fourteen year old daughter aired on television an emergency board meeting was called at Kuno Enterprises.

For years now the board members had struggled to keep the company afloat while dealing with the insanity of the three remaining Kunos. This task wasn’t easy; several times the company faced financial ruin due to some hair-brained scheme of the elder Kuno or from having to pay out shush money to the siblings’ numerous injury and molestation victims.

This time however there would be no silencing the victim with a payoff. The Kunos were now the instigators of a major international incident and the French Ambassador was baying for the three nutcases’ blood. Even worse several of the company’s most lucrative contracts were with France-based firms which were now threatening to drop them due to this insult. If the companies did manage to break their contracts Kuno Enterprises would be ruined and that was something the board absolutely couldn’t let happen. They owed it to the hundreds of stockholders to see that the company survived this.

For the sake of the company the Kunos had to be dealt with once and for all.

&&&

The sounds and smells of carnage hung heavy in the air over the small village.

Without warning they came, descending on the sleeping populace in the wee hours of the morning. Hundreds of demons, of all shapes and sizes, swarmed through the huts killing and maiming as they went. The villagers, long used to sudden demon attacks, found themselves overwhelmed by their enemy’s sheer numbers. Swords, arrows, and various farm tools were useless against such powerful foes and soon the ground ran red with blood. Realizing their helplessness the remaining villagers fled towards the meager protection the temple on the hill offered. Strangely the demons stopped following the fleeing humans as soon as they passed the village’s last hut.

The only defenders who were having any luck were the small band of shard hunters but they too would soon be overwhelmed by the dark horde; as soon as they killed one another three took its place. Even now they were being forced towards the center of the village and away from any road of escape.

From his perch atop one of the outlying huts Naraku watched the carnage he had orchestrated with cool approval. This was turning out far better than he had dared hope for and he congratulated himself on not using one of his puppet likenesses; it wouldn’t have been nearly as satisfying watching this bloody hell through fake eyes. Soon, soon he would have everything he desired; the group’s shards, Kikyo, and the pleasure of staining his hands with that silver-haired half breed’s blood. Before entering into this battle every demon within his army had been warned; no one was to harm Inuyasha, the pleasure of killing the dog-eared boy was Naraku’s alone. Any demon that disobeyed this order would die a slow and painful death.

Finally he grew weary of merely watching and descended into the carnage. Casually he strolled across ground littered with the dead and dying, lightly stepping over severed limbs and discarded organs towards his goal. Demons drew away as he approached not wanting to attract Naraku’s attention. Even the largest demon feared this fur wrapped figure as they did no other. Without a single word to his minions Naraku stopped about fifteen feet away from the exhausted fighters.

“Naraku.” Inuyasha rasped. The half demon was exhausted; fighting blood thirsty demons while pregnant was incredibly draining. All he wanted right now was a hot bath, food, and a good long nap. Unfortunately for him it looked like his wishes weren’t going to happen any time soon. His soul cried out again for his mate, just as he had done from the very moment this bloodbath had started. (RANMA! RANMA I NEED YOU! RANMA!! )

“Ah Inuyasha, how wonderful to see you again, and in such a blooming condition too.” Behind the baboon mask eyes swept down the silver haired demon’s pregnant body.

Instinctively Inuyasha curled protectively around his rounded belly which caused Naraku to chuckle softly. “How could you let yourself get into such a condition? The great Inuyasha with child, what did you do, did you spread your legs like some common whore?”

Inuyasha snarled but did nothing to retaliate against the laughing cloaked demon. He knew Naraku was goading him, trying to get the dog demon to strike out at him in anger. Inuyasha was tired of playing this game but at the moment was powerless to stop it. Naraku had all the advantages right now. (RANMA!)

Behind him Sango and Miroku both jerked forwards, wanting to protect their vulnerable companion from the twisted demon but found their way blocked by none other than Kirara. The cat demon swung her head from side to side.

&&&

Bounding over the busy streets and buildings Ranma left the police station far behind, so intent upon answering his mate’s desperate plea the martial artist was reaching speeds he’d never before achieved. Many people who felt the whoosh of air his passing created only saw a glowing blue form already disappearing into the distance. Those sensitive to the use of Chi were nearly driven into unconsciousness by the sheer levels Ranma was putting out as he drew closer to his goal. Thankfully the tourists and local visitors to the shire had departed an hour ago so no one was present to question the sudden arrival of an enraged cat demon surrounded by a field of electric blue Chi. He nearly tore the poor door to the well house right off its hinges as he passed.

Ranma now stood on the well’s lip, blue eyes glowing with Chi driven fire in the dim light. Here was the way to his mate, the way to Inuyasha’s time and according to the dog demon only he and Kagome could cross it. Well, he’d just see about that! He was Lord of Cats and he wanted through and wanted through now!!

He jumped into the well and immediately felt its magic responding to him, swirling about his body and propelling him back to the time of feudal Japan. With a cat’s grace he landed on the soft bone littered well bottom.

Within seconds every sense, normal, Chi, and demonic, came alive and began relaying critical information to his brain. He could hear the far off screams and roars, smelt the heavy scent of blood, fire, and what could only be the fetid stench of demons lacing the gusting winds. Ranma hopped to the very top of the tallest nearby tree, using his Neko Kihin* technique to balance on a branch no bigger around than his smallest finger, and narrowed his concentration, focused in on one particular patch of silver and red. Rage boiled up in his soul, changing his aura from blue to a deep savage red, as he saw his beloved mate on the ground with some weirdo in a white fur cloak looming over him. Naraku, it had to be him.

Black ears laid flat along his skull, tail fur bristling, Ranma let out a blood curdling roar that sent birds flying in fear, shook the surrounding trees, and sent the earth to rumbling for miles in every direction before racing to his mate’s defense.

Down below every demon and village defender froze, even Naraku stopped in his tracks, at the hair raising sound coming from the woods. A brilliant blood red light was spreading through the forest, growing brighter as its source grew quickly closer. Some of the lesser demons grew frightened and began edging away from the approaching threat while their stronger, more aggressive kin, held their ground and waited. When at last the light’s source cleared the last tree even the largest demon gave a shudder of fear.

Wrapped in a swirling mantle of lava-hot red Chi the figure was obviously that of a cat demon or perhaps half demon. Blazing hate-filled eyes fixed on Naraku’s masked face and once again the roar blasted through the early morning air made all the more frightening by the proximity of origin.

Strangely every cat demon on the battlefield began to back away from the newcomer bowing as they did so.

Golden eyes widened in recognition as they focused on the newcomer. It couldn’t be…Ranma was human…this was clearly a demon…but the scent…the flare of power over their bond. Levering himself up to getter a clearer view Inuyasha decided this was indeed his mate who had somehow defied time itself to come to his rescue.

“RANMA!!” He screamed again.

“INUYASHA!!” Came Ranma’s answering call before he leapt into battle.

This wasn’t the Ranma Saotome that of the inhabitants of Nerima would recognize, not even to those who had been there atop Mount Phoenix and witnessed the epic battle between the young martial artist and the immortal phoenix god Saffron. No, this was Ranma the enraged Demon Lord coming to the defense of his endangered mate and nothing, living or dead, was going to stand in his way.

The remaining village defenders could only watch in horrified fascination as this stranger, blazing like the heart of a furnace, tore through the ranks of demons like they were helpless rabbits. Now it was the demons who screamed, whose black blood stained the red-soaked soil, whose bodies and parts of bodies went flying through the smoke laced air. Neither their strength in numbers, powers, or fierceness could aid them in facing this new arrival in combat and live to tell the tale.

Ranma didn’t waste his skill on these creatures; no fancy moves were required to finish these monsters off. Naraku would be the one his training would be needed to deal with.

The demons Ranma left standing had finally had enough, not even their fear of Naraku could make them face this new and terrible fighter. They broke ranks and ran, leaving the fur clad demon to face Ranma alone.

“I take it that you are Inuyasha’s mate.” Naraku stepped forwards, seemingly completely unconcerned that Ranma had done away with most of his demon army and drove away the rest.

“I am. And you must Naraku, Inuyasha’s told me a lot about you.” Ranma’s voice remained calm and even. Now those who had fought Ranma before would be immediately on edge; Ranma was at his most dangerous when he was completely calm.

“You came through the well,” Naraku noticed the sleek texture of Ranma’s shirt reminded him of Kagome’s clothes. “That means you must have a shard.”

Kagome straitened and focused her special senses on the new arrival, searching for signs that he had part of the stone in his possession. Her eyes widened; he didn’t have a shard! How did he cross through the well if he didn’t have a shard to open the way?

Ranma smirked. “No shard, I don’t need some piece of crystal junk to make me stronger. It just shows how weak you truly are if you have to use those things.”

Naraku’s eyes narrowed. “Then how did you cross the barrier?”

Ranma took a step forwards. “Inuyasha called me, and I came,” the martial artist took a step towards the fur wrapped demon. “Now I get to kick your sorry ass.” And with that the battle was joined.

Inuyasha and his companions could only watch as Ranma and Naraku clashed. Just barely thirty seconds into the battle it was abundantly clear to everyone present that their old foe was severely outclassed. Ranma was by far faster, stronger, and more skilled in personal combat than Naraku who was accustomed to using others to fight his battles for him. That wasn’t to say that Naraku was helpless it merely meant that the fur cloaked demon was now forced to rely on skills he hadn’t been bothered enough to use before now.

Ranma grinned like the proverbial Cheshire cat has he dodged one of his opponent’s sword attacks. He’d been itching to try out some of his more destructive techniques on a real opponent and this was just too golden an opportunity to pass up. Besides Naraku needed to pay for all the pain and suffering he had inflicted on Ranma’s silver haired mate which he would be only too happy to collect.

Naraku felt his rage growing as this strange boy from the future dodged his blows like they were a child’s strikes. Obviously stronger measures were required here as one hand reached into his robe for the small globe with its buzzing occupants.

Ranma saw the object Naraku threw at him and if possible his grin grew even wider, threatening to split his face in half. The hoard of poisonous wasps flew out of their tiny home and headed directly for their master’s enemy. However Naraku was unaware that Ranma had once trained using stinging wasps and had only gotten faster since gaining control of the Neko Ken, Hands moving at impossible speed he deftly killed each and every one of the flying menaces before they even came close to stinging him.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Ranma asked as the last severed wasp body fell twitching to the earth.

Naraku was too astonished to react to this new enemy’s question. The sheer speed this Ranma possessed was impossible, no one, demon or human, could move that fast.

“Well, I guess it’s my turn now!” And Ranma really let it loose.

Using the Neko Tsume* he shredded that stupid monkey cloak to tiny shreds and crisscrossed the newly exposed flesh with deep bloody slashes. Not giving Naraku any time to recover Ranma switched to the Moyasu Tsume* and further adorned his enemy’s injured body with claw marks that steamed and bubbled as the damaged area burned from the injected Ki before suddenly freezing and splitting open as his latest move, the Mienaku Sura Fubuki*, swept the demon up in a contained blizzard cold tornado. The young martial artist allowed the storm to lift his opponent up over 70 feet before abruptly cutting off the uplifting winds. Feral satisfaction filled his heart as Naraku kit the ground with a sickening crunch.

“As fun as this is I’ve got other stuff to do so I don’t have anymore time to play.” Ranma took a couple of steps towards his fallen foe, his aura producing so much heat the ground beneath his feet turned to lava at his touch.

“Let’s finish this.” By now an eight foot area around Ranma had transformed into a boiling cauldron of fiery hell strait from the deepest pits of the underworld.

Naraku, little more than a bloody mangled mess in a vaguely human form, managed to lift his head, the one remaining intact eye struggling to focus on his soon to be executioner.

“FUSHICHO FUNKA ARASHI!!”*

His battle aura, supernova bright, whipped the air about his body up to hurricane speed, pulling up the pooled lava to create a hellstorm which with a casual flick of one hand Ranma sent spinning directly towards his fallen foe. Naraku had just a few seconds to realize his fate before he was engulfed.

Watching the flames do their work Ranma felt absolutely no guilt or remorse for his actions today; he wasn’t killing a man this was more like putting down some dangerously rabid animal. Naraku had murdered, either directly or by use of his minions, hundreds in his quest for power. And it wasn’t like there was anyone here who would contest his right to kill this piece of filth.

Too badly beaten to escape by physical means and suddenly bereft of the magical support his collection of shards bestowed upon him Naraku was helpless. He writhed and screamed as the flames ate away at his body, devouring the many demon spirits that had sustained him for so long. Some purifying element infused Ranma’s attack the likes of which he had never experienced before. It would be the last snippet of thought that he would have before his spiritual core was destroyed.

In the space of a minute the once powerful half demon was reduced to a pile of stinking smoldering ash.

Miroku gasped, doubling over, clutching his cursed hand tightly to his chest as a burning sensation coursed through his palm before fading away as suddenly as it came. Hardly daring to believe what he thought might’ve happened the monk slowly removed the warding beads and glove. Where there had once been a jagged black hole leading to an endless inescapable void now resided smooth unblemished flesh.

His curse was GONE!!

Tears of unparalleled joy coursed down his dirt smudged face.

He was free! HE WAS FREE!!

Kagome of course was totally oblivious to her companion’s newfound freedom. Her attention was totally focused on this newcomer Ranma. While he hadn’t possessed any shards when he first arrived the boy was sure packing them now; a whole mess load of shards if her senses were right! In fact it was same level of power she’d felt from Naraku earlier before this bozo had showed up and turned him into a pile of nasty looking dust. That meant that Ranma had somehow taken Naraku’s shards.

Meanwhile Ranma had turned his attention to his downed mate.

“Inuyasha.” He knelt besides his silver-haired love and gathered the trembled hayou into his arms.

“You came…” Inuyasha’s golden eyes were brilliant in the morning light.

“You called out to me.” Ranma nuzzled his face against those twitching silver ears.

“You heard me? Even though the well?”

“Yep.”

Ranma helped Inuyasha to his feet, steadying his exhausted lover till he regained enough balance to stand on his own. Inuyasha clung to him, unwilling after the events of the last few hours to release his mate.

“Ranma…there’s something I’ve gotta tell you.” Inuyasha whispered against his mate’s neck.

“What’s that?”

“You’re going to be a daddy.”

Blue eyes blinked, froze, and blinked several more times. “You’re…pregnant?”

“Yeah…are you angry?” he asked timidly, half frightened to hear the answer.

Ranma was stunned speechless. When he became Inuyasha’s mate Ranma had given up on the dream of having children of his own blood. Oh, there ways around the problem that same sex couples faced in starting a family but Ranma was extremely unwilling to attempt any one of them. The thought of having some women carrying his son or daughter was frightening in itself; any surrogate untrained in the arts would be extremely vulnerable to attack by any one of his wacko ex-fiancées and that old hag Cologne would literally jump at the chance to kidnap one his kids for her tribe. And while the baby would be his it wouldn’t carry any of his beloved Inuyasha’s traits. Adopting sounded good but Ranma doubted there was anyone insane enough, even in Nerima, to give two demons a baby to raise. Now here was Inuyasha telling him that he was going to be a father. But that should be impossible; the silver haired demon was most definitely male. But he was also a demon so maybe that was what made the difference. Well he wasn’t about to quibble about it, not when the results were so wonderful!

A warm smile touched Ranma’s face, love for his mate and child sparkling hin his eyes. “No…I’m not angry…just so damn happy!” For a few moments the two just held onto each other, basking in their mutual love and the growing life within the silver haired demon. Then Ranma pulled away and went stone cold, the very air around him crackling with suppressed energy. Feline eyes searched the remaining humans till he found the girl wearing a modern school uniform.

“Kagome, I’ve got a deal for you.” He said with a frigid voice.

Brown eyes narrowed as Kagome slowly got to her feet. “And what’s that?”

“A trade. You get the shards I lifted off old monkey boy before I fried him.”

“And what do you want in return?”

“You remove that damned necklace from around Inuyasha’s neck.”

“What!!???” Remove the necklace? But how was she supposed to control Inuyasha? Even though Naraku was gone there were still some shards to collect and it was pretty much a guarantee that whatever demon possessed them wasn’t going to give them up willingly. She’d need the half demon’s strength and blade to complete the task. But if Inuyasha wasn’t under her command he could just up and leave them, leave her! What then??

“And if I refuse?”

Ranma smirked, baring long sharp fangs. “Then I just scatter these little baubles to the four winds and let you spend the rest of your life hunting the stupid things down.” He bounced a small leather bag up and down in his hand a couple of times, each bounce going a little higher into the air for emphasis.

“You can’t do that!” She screamed. “If any demon found them…think of the lives that’ll be put in danger!!”

“The lives of my mate and child are what matter to me!” Suddenly Ranma’s face was just inches away from hers; Kagome never even saw him move. “I don’t give squat about your quest! Or about you!”

And Kagome could see it was true, see it reflected there in this boy’s, no man’s, faintly glowing blue feline eyes. If it came down to choosing between Inuyasha and all those people whose lives would be placed in jeopardy by those scattered shards he would choose the half demon without a second thought. Weighing her options Kagome realized she really didn’t have a choice here and under Ranma’s piercing gaze she moved to fulfill her part of the bargain. Inuyasha couldn’t help but gasp as the girl pulled his long silver hair out of the way before lifting the string of beads up and away. The moment the beads were completely free of his body they glowed and fell apart, bouncing slightly on the ground as they did so.

“There, the mutt’s yours,” she glared and thrust out her hand towards Ranma. “I’ve done my part, now give me the shards!”

“Gladly.” He deposited the little pouch in her palm only to grab the girl’s wrist in a crushing grip before she could retreat. Yanking her forwards his other hand wrapped around her delicate neck with bruising force. “Just keep this in mind girl; Inuyasha is my mate, he’s carrying my child, if you ever, EVER threaten them again I’ll forget my rule on hitting non martial artists and flatten you.” He whispered in her ear. And he meant it too. Ranma was thru with playing nice, he had his family to think of now.

Kagome shivered beneath his steely gaze, too frightened to even speak, and nodded in agreement.

Thankfully that was enough to satisfy Ranma. Releasing the girl he turned his attention back to his mate. “Will you come back with me? Back to my time? It’s not safe for you here.”

Weary from his exertions and growing pregnancy Inuyasha nodded and allowed Ranma to scoop him up into his arms and headed off towards the well and home at an easy lope, completely unaware that someone, actually several people, were tagging along behind him.

Throughout the little drama being played out between Kagome and Ranma Myoga and Kirara were having a quiet little discussion. The flea demon’s loyalty lay with Inuyasha and therefore extended to his mate and he was the only one who knew what other secrets lay within Inutaisho’s grave. Kirara, being a cat demon, was naturally obliged to follow Ranma her new Lord and her heart still was urging to protect Inuyasha and his unborn kit . It took very little words to agree upon where their duties lie. Both demons nodded to each other and began following the departing pair, Myoga riding between the cat demon’s perked ears. Their move wasn’t without a witness.

Shippo watched the two older demons as they started following Inuyasha and the new demon Ranma. He’d heard the black haired cat demon’s words and knew that Inuyasha probably wouldn’t be returning if he left. But how was he to be a big brother if the baby demon wasn’t even here with him? And there were so many fantastic things in the future! All the wonders Kagome had described for him, not to mention all those great tasting foods and mouth-watering sweets they made there! With a quick hop the little fox demon grabbed a hold of one of Kirara’s swinging tails and scrambled onto her broad back.

Look out future, here comes Shippo!

Kaede, Sango, Miroku, and Kagome watched the small group as they headed off towards the woods and the gateway back to modern Tokyo.

&&&

At his office Dr. Tofu read the file once again and shook his head in astonishment and disgust. Nodoka Saotome certainly had a lot of explaining to do. Just as he thought the tests he’d had run on the samples from Ranma and his parents conclusively proved that Genma couldn’t possibly be Ranma’s biological father. Whoever the man Nodoka had chosen to be the boy’s father wasn’t even fully Japanese; the DNA clearly containing elements found in those of European descent.

He wondered how the woman had chosen this mystery man, was he some long time friend or lover, or did she just chose the best looking man in a bar and ply him with enough booze so that he wouldn’t remember anything in the morning.

Did she even remember who the man was? Damn! What if she didn’t remember? Ranma might never meet his real father if that was the case.

Well, deciding that sitting here speculating wasn’t going to solve anything. Best to go to the source. With that decided Tofu picked up the telephone and put in a call to the police.

&&&

The trip through the well was slightly disorienting for Shippo and Kirara but neither one was about to complain about it. Ranma continued to carry his mate even after their safe arrival. Outside the well house the unusual group were met by Ranma’s five feline servants who bowed and greeted their returned Lord.

“Inuyasha, I’d like you to meet the gang.” Ranma used his tail to point at each of the cats as he named them.

Lotus was a sleek seal-point Siamese with piercing turquoise eyes and had the dubious honor of being the youngest female in the group. She possessed the most people friendly personality despite her abandonment on the streets by her previous owners who couldn’t stand her almost nonstop chatter. She was the acrobat, the one always willing to take the most precarious perch or route home.

Pitch was a big alley cat tom whose coat was blacker than black and watched the passing world through baleful yellow eyes. He was probably the most experienced fighter; his body marked and ears scarred ragged from his many battles.

Not normally seen much in Japan’s alleys Max was a stout American Shorthair whose military owner lost him during his transfer back stateside. Max had a more open attitude when compared to his fellow toms but was still a strong fighter and was willing to take orders from the group’s leader.

The lone Japanese bobtail was Athea. The tortoise shell queen was frequently the group’s voice of reason, encouragement, or admonishment. If there was any cat in the small band who could claim to be its heart it was Athea. Pitch often times called her ‘Mother’ but never within earshot, or her strike range.

Each of the four cats were larger than normal for their kind but the largest feline by far, weighing over 25 pounds, was its leader who went by the name Lord Ranma had bestowed upon him; Godzilla. He was meant to be a goodwill present for a visiting Ambassador’s daughter but when the cat couldn’t take anymore of the brat’s harsh abuse he fled into the wild alleys of Japan. As a Ragdoll he possessed a thick coat of beige with seal points and cold blue eyes. Harsh treatment at the hands of humans had soured his once sweet disposition and now the tom was a rather dour and sometimes even savage personality which only softened when the other cats or his Lord were around.

Godzilla was the first to rise from his bow and noted the disheveled state of his Lord and the one his Lord seemed so protective about. //Welcome back my Lord. // He offered a shorter bow to Ranma’s other companions. //You have brought strange ones with you, who are they? //

“This is my mate Inuyasha.” Ranma introduced the silver haired demon first.

Five sets of feline eyes widened. //My Lord, is he a…a…canine? //

“Dog Demon actually. You got a problem with that?” The martial artist tensed, eyes narrowed.

//No my Lord, // Godzilla was quick to advert his Lord’s growing anger. //It is not our place to question our Lord’s choice in mates. If he pleases you then we are satisfied and will accept him as part of your Pride. //

Crisis adverted Ranma took his odd little band back to Tofu’s home.

“Where’re we going Ranma?” Inuyasha asked as his mate turned away from Kagome’s home and headed out into the city hopping lazily from rooftop to rooftop.

“I’m staying with my new father and brother. Dr. Tofu adopted me into his clan; I’m officially an Ono now. You’ll like Tofu, he’s really a very intelligent and caring man, and he’s an absolutely great healer. If there’s anyone in this century that can see that you and our baby are healthy and stay that way it’ll be him.” Ranma’s tail swung around to curl protectively around his mate’s expanded waistline.

“If you trust and believe in him that much then so will I.”

The trip to the Ono home was very short and Ranma hopped down soundlessly into the garden despite his burden. Inuyasha was well pleased by what he saw of the well ordered and beautiful grounds and the buildings clean neat lines; yes, this was a very good den, his mate had chosen well.

Gathered in the dojo they sat down to talk about everything that had happened in their lives since they parted. Inuyasha was immensely pleased with Ranma’s new demon status and even more so with his mastering of the Neko Ken. But he was a little confused as to how Ranma had acquired the title of Lord of the Northern Lands.

Myoga chose this moment to break into the conversation. “Actually there is something Ranma must do before he can fully claim his title as Lord of the Northern Lands. He must undergo the ritual of blood ascension.”

“Blood ascension? That doesn’t sound very pleasant Myoga.” Inuyasha growled at the flea demon.

“Nevertheless till Ranma performs the ceremony the full range of powers his title will bestow on him won’t be available.” For once the little demon wasn’t about to back down as he had in the face of Inuyasha’s wrath before. “Your brother Sesshoumaru performed the same ritual when he claimed your father’s title as Lord of the Western Lands. But without the Tetsusaiga he’ll never have the full range of power that your father did.”

“Okay, so I gotta do this mumbo-jumbo and I’ll really be the Lord of Cats. What do I have to do?”

“Within the tomb of Inuyasha’s father lies the Neko dagger, given to Lord Inutaisho for safe keeping by the previous Lord of Cats. The two lords were close friends and Lord Nekon died protecting Lord Inutaisho’s back in battle. Since Lord Nekon had no living heirs he entrusted the dagger to your father claiming that one day his rightful heir would receive it from Inutaisho’s true hearted son.”

Inuyasha’s fingers dipped into his inner pouch and pulled out an insignificant looking black pearl from its depths. “So we have to go back to the old man’s grave huh? Okay, but we only stay long enough to pick up the dagger and come right back out.” He sat the pearl on the ground, unsheathed Tetsusaiga and tapped the blade’s tip against the tiny dark orb.

Ranma, Kirara, and Shippo, having never seen the entrance to Inutaisho’s grave jumped back when the black portal swirled into view. “That’s where your dad’s buried? Inside there?!!”

“Yeah, don’t worry though, there’s nothing inside that’ll hurt us.” Inuyasha assured his mate.

&&&

Okay, flying through the skies on the back of a skeletal demon bird while inside a magical black pearl certainly made it’s way onto Ranma’s top ten ‘weird things that have happened to me’ list. And given his previous history that was saying an awful lot. Lord Inutaisho, Inuyasha’s father, was a LOT bigger than Ranma had believed possible despite his mate’s warning and it gave him the willies to fly through the immense skull’s gaping jaws.

Once inside however Myoga had taken the lead, guiding the little band down farther into the skeleton, bypassing the area where the fang sword had once rested. Down they went until they found a large door carved with images of all manner of dog demons. One touch of Inuyasha’s hand and the obviously heavy doors swung open. Nothing could have prepared the group for what they had found there.

Obviously Lord Inutaisho had stored away much of his accumulated riches within his tomb for the large chamber was filled with gold and jewels. Inuyasha couldn’t believe his eyes. There was more than enough wealth spread out before him to see to his family’s comfort and security for several generations. If they wanted he and Ranma could purchase their own estate and live in the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives. And at the center of the room, atop a stone pillar adored with carved cats, lay the Nekon dagger resting in its simple leather sheath. While Inuyasha and Shippo gathered up some of the treasure to take back with them Ranma retrieved the dagger. The minute his hand touched the blade’s pommel he felt a rush of power run through him.

Now here they were back at the dojo listening as Myoga explained to Ranma what he must do. Ranma was a bit scared but wasn’t about to back down. Being a true Demon Lord would give him an extra edge when it came to protecting his new family. According to Myoga, Shippo, and his mate the vast majority of demons they might encounter would back down immediately when confronted by a Demon Lord. Only the ones that were too stupid or too arrogant would be left for Ranma to deal with.

Ranma nodded in understanding and the little flea demon stepped back to give the young Lord room.

Drawing the dagger from its sheath the martial artist brought the blade to rest against his open palm. Ranma barely even flinched as he drew the sharp edge across his flesh, bright red blood welling up in its wake. The procedure was preformed on the other palm just as easily. Clasping his bleeding hands together with the blade between them Ranma began chanting, the words just seemed to pop into his head seconds before he said them.

&&&

All around the globe every feline, from the smallest domestic housecat to the largest Siberian tiger, raised their heads and vocally paid homage to their new Lord.
People in rural villages, towns, and big cities stopped in puzzled astonishment as the air filled with the overwhelming sound of yowling cats…

The noise level was deafening at the annual cat show as the exhibitors struggled to restrain their joyously screeching purebreds…

Zookeepers rushed to the cat exhibits to check on their suddenly loud charges…

Circus workers shook and scratched their heads in amazement as the big cats in their care roared and yowled in feline harmony…

Wildlife experts scrambled to record the totally bizarre phenomenon of virtually every species of cat residing on the Serengeti beginning to vocalize simultaneously without any clear reason…

&&&

Ranma rumbled softly in pleasure as his new subjects welcome washed over him, the sensation successfully distracting him as the final step in his transformation settled onto his body.

Inuyasha watched in silent awe as his mate officially assumed the mantle of the Lord of the Northern Lands. Awash in the power released by the ascension spell the ranking marks on Ranma’s cheeks deepened in color and more pronounced as the crescent on his forehead permanently phased into sight. Now every demon or person who could perceive demons would know of Ranma’s position and woe be to anyone who failed to show him the proper respect.

Ranma’s changes weren’t completely limited to his body; his clothes were equally affected. The simple leather arm bracers Ranma wore morphed into finely crafted metal ones, their surface covered with ornately designed felines and ancient symbols. As the ceremony came to a close the dagger fell from Ranma’s limp hands and clattered on the wooden floor. He swayed a bit before falling to his knees. Inuyasha was quick to catch him before he could hit the floor face first. Blue eyes met golden ones.

“Well that was a rush…” Ranma moaned before fainting.

&&&

Going to the shopping mall used to be one of Akane’s favorite activities, now she was beginning to loathe the sight of the building. Ever since being introduced to her new therapist her life had been nothing but an unending hell. The sadistic woman controlled every aspect of her life; where she went, what she ate, and what she spoke or did. If she believed Akane had done something wrong, not that the Tendo girl had done anything which someone could possibly consider wrong, Clyde would punish her.

Akane tried to make her see reason, tried to make her see that there was nothing wrong with her. But the woman simply wouldn’t listen!

Akane even tried to beat some sense into Clyde but after being knocked senseless five or six times before she even got in one blow the Tendo girl backed off that particular approach.

(Cheating bitch!) Akane thought as she glared at Clyde who was engrossed in reading her magazine. (She couldn’t have beaten me without cheating. She’s not a martial artist!)

They were sitting in one of the mall’s lunch areas after having just finished a meal of ramen. Normally Akane would be sitting with her friends, but Clyde had expressly forbidden her from even contacting Yuka and the others. She wasn’t even allowed to talk to her family. Soun tried to visit her once, even got into an argument with the therapist and used his Demon Head technique. Clyde just laughed before punching out the older martial artist and tossing his body into a nearby dumpster.

“How long are we going to stay here?” Akane asked.

“You need to develop patience my dear,” Clyde said not even bothering to look up from her reading. “It is a virtue you know.”

“I have patience!” The girl snapped.

Clyde laughed. “You? Have patience? You have as much patience as a rabid dog; it is perhaps your worst fault Akane. It is the main reason you fail at virtually everything you attempt to do, that along with your over inflated ego and blatant inability to accept reality.”

“Why you!! I’ll-ARRGGHHH!!” Akane lunged at the woman who seemed totally unconcerned at the impending attack and with good reason. One short burst from her customized cattle prod and the violent girl was lying stunned on the floor, limbs twitching from the charge and a bit of drool escaping the corner of her mouth. Clyde gazed down at the girl and made a tired tsk-tsk sound.

“You see Akane? If you truly had patience this wouldn’t happen so often. Really, I’ve already had to discipline you eight times since we arrived and it’s only been two hours.”

By now Akane had regained enough of her senses, though there are plenty of people around who would say she had no sense to speak of at all, to struggle to her feet, using the bench as a support. Brown eyes burning with unmitigated anger the youngest Tendo nearly lunged at the older woman again but stopped when the crackling head of the cattle prod came into view. Growling in frustration Akane reluctantly sat down. Clyde smiled at her young charge; perhaps there was some small shred of hope for the girl but Clyde wasn’t about to risk money on it yet. She’d rather bet on how many more times she’d have to shock the girl before their six hours here at the mall were over.
Chapter End Notes:
Neko Kihin = Cat Grace - allows user to walk or balance on any surface no matter how small or capable of supporting their weight.

Neko Tsume = Cat Claws.

Moyasu Tsume = Consume with fire Claws “ or burning claws”Similar to Neko Tsume on a bit of ki is left in the wounds to burn the victim.

Mienaka Sura Fubuki = Cause not to see blizzard “ basically blinding blizzard”creates a localized blinding blizzard of snow, ice, and winds.

Fushicho Funka Arashi = Phoenix Volcanic Eruption Storm “ killing move!”creates a hellstorm of savage wind, fire, and hot lava which encircles and then incinerates its victim.