RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


CHAPTER EIGHT

A DARING RESCUE

The group traveled for several miles through the forest and across opened fields until they came upon a small mountain range. It was there the warrior commander informed them the fortress was on the other side and to be wary of their guards lurking about. They tried to blend in with the surrounding scenery the best they could. Then they crawled on their bellies to the top of the ridge and looking through binoculars searched the fortress below trying to catch a glimpse of their friends.

“Damn, the city is too big. There too many people there to pick out any one particular person that might be them.” It was frustrating to O’Neill, now they were so close; he just had to know one way or another if indeed they were there. O’Neill was squatting on one leg, and raised his left hand to adjust his hat. His eyes squinted against the morning sun as he looked towards the fortress then said, “It would make things easier if we knew for sure Daniel and Sam were still there and where exactly their being held.”

“We’ll disguise one of our warriors and send them into the fortress. They can collect as much information as possible in the given time.”

“That just might work. We’ll give them about two hours, that should give us time to put our plan together and carry it through after dark.” O’Neill was grateful for the Eastern warriors help. He wasn’t sure exactly how they were going to be able to disguise one of them to look like the Western warriors when they didn’t have any of their clothing to work with.

It soon became quite evident when the Eastern warriors brought into camp a captured Western warrior. They quickly changed clothing and then O’Neill and his men watched as she managed to sneak passed the guards.

“O’Neill, you will have nothing to worry about with Blanca, she is our best scout.”

“Thank you, that means a lot to me, right now.” He hoped she was right, because the best was what they needed right now.

Blanca slowly moved about in the market area, moving from one stall to the other. Occasionally she would ask about Daniel and Sam. She seemed to be getting nowhere, when by happenstance Altecor happen to over hear her ask a shopkeeper.

After getting no reaction from the shopkeeper, Blanca was walking away, when Altecor, whispered to her from behind the shop.

“What do you want from my friend Daniel? He has done nothing to harm anyone?”Altecor wasn’t sure what to make of all this sudden interest.

“I wish them no harm. It’s just been a while since I have seen my friends and would like to know what has happened to them.” She hoped she was convincing enough to gain his trust. Her time was fast coming to an end.

“How do I know that you are truly a friend of Daniel’s and will not bring harm to him?” Altecor hoped that she could not detect his heartbeat as it rapidly increased its pace.

“I give my solemn vow as a warrior, that I do not intend to bring harm to Daniel. I am here to help him.” If Altecor didn’t believe her now, she would have not recourse but to leave without the anticipated information that O’Neill needed.

“I guess I must believe you, if you vow as a warrior.” He quickly looked about to see if he was spotted speaking to a warrior that was not his mistress before he added, “I have not seen Daniel outside in a while. I do not know the reason for this. But they must be in their apartment. I have seen guards bringing them supplies almost daily.”

“Can you show me which is their apartment so I may visit them? I promise you no harm will come to them from me.” It was a gamble she would have to take.

Altecor told her the location and quickly left hoping no one had seen him talking to her. She waited for an opportune moment then hid behind a butcher’s stall. She brought out her telescope and located Daniel and Sam’s apartment. She easily located Sam in the kitchen washing dishes. But she had difficulty with Daniel until he slowly turned over in bed. Blanca noticed the pale features and slowness of his movements. It was quite evident he was ill. This was going to complicate matters.

With the information in hand, Blanca quickly made her way back to their encampment.

* * * * * * * *

O’Neill and the warrior commander listened intently to Blanca’s report. It didn’t sound good with Daniel being ill. Damn, why now? O’Neill thought. This was really going to throw a monkey wrench into things. We’ll just have to improvise.

The sentry interrupted them when she walked into the tent and said, “ I’m sorry to interrupt, commander, but our scouts have just returned with some very important news.”

“Well out with it, we have a lot of work to do here.” The commander was not pleased about being interrupted.

“The scouts have spotted Northern Territory warriors headed this way. Looks like close to a couple of thousand of them Commander.” The young sentry replied.

“That could only mean one thing, they plan to encompass this territory and claim it as part of their empire. We need to hurry O’Neill and get out of the area before we are trapped here. The Northern Territory warriors are some of the fiercest on this planet. No one wants to engage them” The commander was clenching her hands in an effort to steady her nerves.

“Just out of curiosity sake, what are you and your girls getting out of helping us like this? Don’t get me wrong we appreciate the help and all, but what we can’t quite figure out is why?” He just had to ask. It had been bugging him all day and he needed to know he wasn’t dragging his men and himself into something that would be extremely hard to get out of.

“They are holding several of my warriors captive, who were captured illegally. They were in our territory, which is adjacent to the Western Territory. Some of their warriors crossed over into our territory and took them hostage. We want them back. The Queen is refusing. Therefore we will take them by force. Since we have the same goal, getting our people out, we should work together on this matter.” It made perfect sense to both of them, or so it seemed to her.

“Okay so we are in an agreement. We go in together, we get your warriors out of the prison cells on the bottom floor, and we get my people out of the apartment in the living quarter section, then we all get the hell out of here.”

“We are in agreement O’Neill. So as you say, let’s get moving.” A small smile crept on the Commander’s face. It was the first time O’Neill could remember seeing her smile. And he hoped it would not be the last.

“The Northern Warriors will be here. We need to come up with a plan right now. I don’t want my girls to die at their hands. That’s exactly what may happen to your people too if we don’t hurry.”

“I get the point, so let’s start plotting our strategy.” With every second counting he did his best to figure out the most efficient and easiest recovery he could come up with.

* * * * * * * *

“I’m afraid we will have to move him to the maternity ward now. The bleeding is not stopping. It’s just a minimal amount of course, but I don’t want to take any chances, you understand don’t you?” The doctor hoped Sam understood the seriousness of the situation without making her come right out and say it. She didn’t want Daniel to know there was a chance he or his child very likely won’t make it.

“Yes, of course Dr. Jaspera. He will be alright won’t he, I mean he won’t get any worse will he?” She didn’t want to think about the possibility of not having him in her life.

“I don’t want to make any promises, but we will do everything we can for him and your child.” On that note she signaled for the guards to take Daniel.

“Don’t worry darling, William and I will be up later to visit you.” Sam leaned over and kissed Daniel on the lips, and touched her cheek to his and then the guards began to move him out the door and down the hallway. Sam leaned against the closed door and cried. William not knowing or understanding what was happening began to cry too.

* * * * * * * *

Jack knelt on one knee as he drew a diagram of the fortress in the soft soil with a stick he found nearby.

“Okay, we know the prison cells are here and Sam’s and Daniel’s quarters are approximately here.” He pointed to areas on the diagram and looked up at the soldiers who where standing in a semicircle around him.

“Now if we put explosives here and here, it should punch enough of a hole in the wall to allow us access to them. Remember the objective is to grab our people and get out with as little resistance as possible. Once we have them, we get the hell out of there and back to the Stargate as quickly as possible. Everyone remember, we are several miles from the Stargate, so timing is everything. Any questions?” Jack looked into their faces, thinking, my God; they do get younger every day.

“Colonel, we have what appears to be a war party coming from the north. It looks like they mean business, sir.” The young private looked scared as he pointed in the direction of the Northern Territory warriors.

“What! That’s all we need. Everyone grab your weapons and let’s move out now,” Jack grabbed his rifle and ran down the trail to the city.

* * * * * * * *

Sam finally quieted William down when she heard the blaring of horns. What the hell are they blowing horns for? Then someone was banging on her door. When she answered it, it was Angelina. There was terror written all over her face.

“You must hurry and get out of here. Go hide in the forest before they get here or you will be killed. Go quickly, now!” Angelina started to leave when Sam grabbed her arm and demanded to know what she was talking about.

“Who are you talking about, before who gets here and why would they want to kill me for?”

“The Northern Territory, they want our land and they are furious with our Queen, she illegally had some of their warriors captured and their heads cut off. Then had their heads carried on the last caravan and paraded in their fortress just to show them she could. Now go quickly, I must get my own family out of here too!” With that she pulled her arm out of Sam’s hand and fled down the hallway and out of site.

“Oh my God, no, what am I going to do?” she frantically looked around not sure what to do first. Her senses began to take over as she grabbed some baby clothes and other important baby supplies and tied them in a scarf, grabbing William as she left the apartment and fled down the hallway on her way to Daniel’s hospital room.

* * * * * * * *

“Your Majesty, there is important news, I beg of you, you must listen.” Her guard really didn’t want to tell her, heck she just wanted to leave her to her punishment for all her cruelty, but she was her Queen so she had to make a half hearted attempt.

“Well what is it, out with it, what do you want to tell me?” She was getting very irritated now. It seemed imbeciles constantly surrounded her.

“It’s the Northern Territory, your Highness, they are here, and they’re attacking us! They’re shouting your name.” She didn’t want to say what they are saying about her name, she just hope the Queen already knew.

“They’re here? No, I don’t need this, it’s already been a bad week, and I really could do without this. Call all guards and warriors to their stations at the walls. Get anyone that can fire a laser cannon and get them to the wall quickly.” She hoped that would be enough to hold the defenses while she made her escape. After all she was the Queen therefore if anyone was going to escape with her lives it was going to be her first, then whoever was able to escape on their own.

“Tell them yourself, your Highness, I’m getting my family out of here now!” and she did leave, while the Queen stood there with her mouth open. Stunned beyond belief that a guard of hers would stand there and talk to her like that, it was utterly amazing.

“How dare she talk to me like that, a guard of mine, I’ll have her head for that, after this is all over with of course. Right now I better get the hell out of here.” With that in mind she ran as fast as she could out of the council chamber and out into the hallway to the nearest exit, but she wasn’t as quick as she hoped she would be.

“Going somewhere Le’Ana?” Priscilla was enjoying this more than anything she could remember doing in the last few weeks.

“Priscilla, I didn’t realize that you came all the way down here to visit. If I had known, I would have baked.” She wasn’t going to let Priscilla take her without a very nasty fight. One she hoped to win.

“That’s alright, you don’t have the head for baking, surely you should realize that by now.” If it’s a fight she wants it’s a fight she will get and lose. Pricilla was poised with lance laser held high; ready to take Le’Ana’s head clean off with one shot. It was going to be a great victory.

Le’Ana ran for the door but not before Priscillas’ lance laser let out a screaming blast that severed Le’Ana’s head in one swoop, before her body had a chance to hit the floor. Priscilla let out a war hoop that made several of her warriors come running to see the sight. They let out a celebratory whoop upon seeing the sight, the severed head of theirs and most of the planets sworn enemy.

* * * * * * * *

“Wait for the ladies to attack, then plant the explosive on the east wall. Be prepared to charge in. Find Sam and Jackson, quickly and let’s get out.” O’Neill was doing his best to not let his nervousness show. He hoped that his friends were still all right. It had been several hours since the spy had been sent in and spotted Daniel and Sam. They were a little worried about Daniel. When the scout spotted him, he was in bed and not looking so hot. Sam on the other hand was looking better than ever.

O’Neill was brought back to the present by the sound of explosions and screaming. The attacks had begun. “Showtime men, let’s get going.” O’Neill ordered the soldiers out into the night air, fully aware that some of them won’t be going home. Several minutes later O’Neill and the small reconnaissance team were making their way down the halls of the building fighting back the choking dust and the frenzy of the males and children running up and down the hallways trying to find cover. They paid little attention to the group as they ran past them.

“I think it’s down this hall and fourth door to the right, and---what the---” He asked as something or someone bumped into him. He raised his rifle to defend himself if need be, only to hear an all too familiar voice.

“Colonel, am I glad to see you---” Sam didn’t even try to hide the joy of seeing her commander again. She had almost given up the thought of ever seeing that familiar face again, but not Daniel, he was always the eternal optimist, but she didn’t have the luxury of wasting any more time on happy thoughts. She had to get Daniel and their son out of this hellhole and to safety as quickly as possible.

“No time for pleasantries Sam where is Daniel, so we can get out of here?”

“He’s in the hospital, four corridors down on the left. I don’t know if he is in any shape to be bounced around, Colonel. He hasn’t been very well.” She adjusted the blanket covering the baby she held and picked up the bundle of supplies and flung it onto her shoulder.

“Sam, I’m afraid we can’t take refugees with us no matter how cute they are. We don’t have the time to play nursemaid.”

“Colonel, this baby is not a refuge, he’s my son and he’s going or we both stay, take your choice.”

“Your son? Did I lose some time somewhere that I don’t remember?” He had the most perplexed look on his face. Sam would have laughed but she was feeling too stressed at that particular moment.

“Colonel, with all due respect, we really should be going. Daniel will need all the help we can give him to get out of here. I’ll explain as much as I can later, but please let’s just go now.”

“Uhm, yea, you do that. Let’s go men.” He gave his head a little shake and picked up his pace to match Sam’s stride. It didn’t take them long to find the hospital section. Jack thought they might have some resistance once they arrived. But none was given. In fact the hospital was deserted except for Daniel, who was sleeping peacefully. Sam raced over to Daniel and shook him to wake him up. “Daniel, Daniel, sweetheart, you have to wake up now. We have to leave. Colonel O’Neill is here to take us home.”

“Sweetheart?” Jack O’Neill’s eyes widen in the most shocking look he had ever had in his life. When he was able, he said, “I should think you have a lot of explaining to do when we get back, Major. A lot of explaining to do!”

“Jack is that really you. God you don’t know how often I’ve prayed for you to find us.” Daniel couldn’t hide the smile that spread across his face as he turned over onto his back. His huge belly was showing under the blankets.

O’Neill didn’t miss the sight of Daniel’s belly. “Good God what is this, what’s wrong with your stomach man,” He said as he pointed at Daniel’s belly.

“There’s nothing wrong with my belly, Jack, I’m pregnant that’s all. Now help me out of this bed, willya?”

“Uh yea, sure.” Jack helped Daniel put on his shoes. Then helped him out of the bed. He wasn’t sure just how the two of them were going to explain this to him. But he was certain the story was going to be a doozy. He didn’t miss the bugged eye sideways look that Teal’C gave Daniel. It told O’Neill that he and Teal’C had the same idea, to get the hell off this planet before they became pregnant like Daniel. They had no desire what so ever to go through that kind of indignity.

Daniel only took a few steps when it was obvious that he wouldn’t be able to walk very far without collapsing. Jack yelled for Teal’C to carry him. But Teal’C just shook his head no way man. He didn’t want being pregnant to rub off on him. “I said to carry him. That’s an order Teal’C.”

Teal’C didn’t wait to be told a third time. He picked up Daniel and walked as quickly as he could. Having regained his composure Teal’C added “I feel we must leave as quickly as possible O’Neill if we are to get back to the Stargate without being captured.” Teal’C noticed the stunned look still on O’Neill’s face.

“Let’s get out of here everyone.” Jack quickly regained control over the situation and followed Teal’C out the door.

Sam grabbed a blanket off of the bed and followed close behind.

They got as far as the edge of the building when the leader of the Northern Territory warriors discovered them. “I believe you are attempting to leave with something we want.”

“You will never get your hands on my husband. Come hell or high water, you can be very sure of that.” Sam handed William over to O’Neill and dropped the clothing bundle. She put her hand on her sword ready to pull it out of the sheath, when O’Neill grabbed her by the shoulder and said, “We don’t have time for this, go, go, go, let’s move it. Now!”

Sam picked up the bundle and ran as fast as she could right behind the others.

The Northern Territory warrior’s laser let out a blast so close to Sam that it made her skin tingle with electricity.

They met up with the Eastern Territory Commander when they finally made it out of the fortress. She was gathering up what was left of her warriors.

“I’m glad you found your friends, now it is time for you to leave. The fighting here will get uglier before it’s over. My fighting is finished for now. My warriors and I will leave and fight another day, but it’s only begun for them I am afraid.” She pointed to the Northern Warriors decimation of the Western fortress and its occupant.

“Thank you and your warriors for all your help. Maybe we can someday repay the favor.” Jack was only kidding, because he didn’t believe they would ever return to this planet. But was surprised when she answered”

“Oh we will meet again and you will repay the debt.” She had a wicked little smile on her face that made Jack’s face project the most shocking expression she hadn’t seen in a long time. She then turned to what was left of her warriors and taking her lance laser pointed towards home and then they marched off into the night.

Jack and Sam, with Teal’C and his men had to duck when the blasting got closer to them. So close in fact that Sam wasn’t at all sure, she would be able to hear again. It was all she could do to keep her feet on the ground as she felt the vibrations of another stronger blast hitting just a few feet away from her.

They ran as fast as they could and didn’t stop to rest until they were several hundred yards into the woods were they met up with the rest of the rescue team. O’Neill handed Little William back over to Sam who then knelt down close to Daniel. She took the blanket she had been carrying and covered Daniel with it. “It’s too cold out here for you. You need to stay warm.”

Daniel didn’t miss the frightened look on her face. “I’m fine, so you can stop fussing. How’s William taking everything so far?”

“Our son is doing fine. Hasn’t cried a bit. Have you William?” Sam caressed the young child’s face as she cradled him in her lap.

“Oh boy, this just keeps getting better and better. I just can’t wait for the explanations to everything that’s been going on here.” Jack couldn’t hide his confusion any longer.

“Will somebody please tell me just what the hell has been going on here, because----I’m so confuuuuused?” Jack raised his arms to the mid-afternoon sky, and then let them drop down to his sides in total confusion.

“I too would like to be informed of the past O’Neill, but I believe it should wait until later. The warriors will be here in a few minutes. It would be to our advantage to move out now while we have the opportunity.” Teal’C pointed down the hill at the swiftly approaching Northern Warriors

“Damn, let’s get moving kiddies. We need to get to the main trail a mile up the road. Once we get over, we’ll be okay. Can you make it Daniel?”

“I’m afraid not Jack. I think I’m in labor. “ Daniel panted as he held his round belly.

“Then we must really hurry O’Neill.” Teal’C picked up Daniel and hurried up the hillside.

The others looked up at them, then followed close behind.

The sound of the warriors grew nearer and nearer. Daniel could hear Teal’c’s heartbeat grow faster and faster as they raced up the hillside. It was all Daniel could do to concentrate on staying calm as another contraction hit. He knew it was too early for the child to be born. If he could remain calm, maybe, just maybe he could get the contractions to slow down or even to stop. If not, his life and that of his unborn child lay in the hands of his comrades.

“Teal’C, think you can make this thing fly again?” it was Jack pointing to the abandoned Goa’uld cargo ship they had discovered earlier.

“With ease Colonel O’Neill.”

Suddenly Daniel could feel Teal’C stumbling as a blast narrowly missed them. He braced himself for the fall, but it didn’t happen, instead he felt strong arms reaching out to help hold him. Daniel turned to look into the eyes of two strong young soldiers taking him from Teal’C. They helped him into the back of the cargo ship.

Samantha and William quickly followed as Teal’C made his way to the pilot seat of the ship. Within seconds he had the ship roaring up into the sky. The sound of gunfire and explosions rang all around them. The ship rocked from the concussion of the blasts and the uneven path it flew. Going at half of its top speed the ship had them at the barrier screen within seconds. The ship screeched as it flew through the barrier and into the other side, causing them to reach their destination almost as quickly as they departed.

Sam comforted Daniel as another contraction hit. In the background she could hear Jack shouting out commands to dial up the home address and to get every one out and up to the gate pronto while they had the chance to make it home in one piece.

They had almost made it through the gate when there was an explosion near them. It was all Jack could do to keep Daniel on his feet. The warriors had found them again and were closing in fast.

The marine sergeant ran up to Jack and shouted, “Sir, get your people through the gate. My men and I will hold them off as long as possible. Then we will meet you on the other side.”

“Thank you Sergeant. I’ll make sure you and your men are rewarded for this.” Jack helped Sam and baby William across with Teal’C and Daniel right behind them.