RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +







Story Notes:
I own Nata beaver Dam Thing.



*~*~*~*~*


Sometimes I watch you while you're sleeping baby.

When he arrived, they said nothing. He walked up the steps to the front porch with a suit case in one hand and a Guitar in the other. The front door was partially open so he took it as an invitation and walked in to the deserted house. House, for it was no longer a home. Death had touched the heart of this place far too often. He gave a knowing half smile as he walked to the back of the house and the never used spare room. A day bed with a bureau were the only furnishings and a small bathroom with a claw footed tub. This would do nicely.

After putting away his meager belongings and setting the guitar on the hand made stand he gave a wistful strum with his recently acquired hand and sighed. That could wait. He had other important things to do at the moment. For starters the house was a mess and trash needed to be taken out.

Quickly he set about cleaning and dusting the living room. He never noticed as the others came in one at a time. They never noticed he was not supposed to be there. He simply was. As they sat around looking at nothing unparticular he served drinks. No one spoke, no one needed too. He knew what they needed, when they needed it.

When she came in he smiled for her yet still refused to speak. She sat with her Willow and stared off at space with her eyes filled with tears. They still could not believe Buffy was gone, sacrificed herself for them all. Her body was taken by the nice gentlemen in white suits. Taken to a better place. She had to be strong, they needed her. She could not be strong, she needed them to be strong for her.

He noticed her tears and handed her a tissue. As he passed out the tissues he placed a comforting hand here, a smile there. He knew they would need time, for that is all any one could give them. Well not all, he could take care of them until they were strong enough to be on their own. So he made up his mind, he was going to be a deaf and mute Mary Poppins.

He checked the time and rushed to the Kitchen. They would need a meal, and soon. No time to cook he ordered out and arranged for them to sit at the table. He doubted they would eat very much but he still had to try. As they gathered in the dining room to eat he encouraged them to sit.

When the little one came in he noticed her vacant look. He held her close as she cried on his shoulder. He was slightly taller than her and had long blond hair so she felt a sort of comfort in the familiarity. His sky blue eyes were not so she avoided looking at them. She knew not who he was, but if he was willing to help she would not disappoint him.

When Spike arrived the others were sitting around the fire place watching the flames play on the gas logs. He took in the sight of the stranger and started to growl.

Lindsey merely shrugged and went back to cleaning the house. He had better things to do than to baby sit a platinum blond Vampire. Especially one that was the spawn of him. Running the vacuum cleaner over the dining room carpet he missed the conversation going on in the other room about him.

"Does any body know who that wanker is?" When no one answered he growled at them. "Then what the hell is going on? Why have you let a complete stranger in this house?"

Tara awoke from her crying induced sleep at his yells. "Wha... what are you going on about?"

"The dude with the hair an sweeper, who is he?" Spike pointed to Lindsey who was busy doing the drapes.

"He's my cousin."

"Well what the bloody hell is he doing here?"

"Apparently he is cleaning." Giles' observation brought tear filled laughter from the girls and Xander.

Spike gave him a victory sign and told him to shag off as he went to sit by Dawn. "Com' 'ere lil' bit." He pulled her close as she laid her head against his chest. "I know it hurts, but in time you'll get used to it. We all do. If living for a century has taught me any thing, it's life may be hard at times but you just have to get on with your life. Sure it may take a while, but you'll have good times in the bad, you'll see. Now you don't worry about a thing, Spike will be here to take care of you."

Dawn nodded her head against his chest and soon cried herself to sleep. She would deal with it in the morning, for now all she had to do was sleep. A few hours later Willow, Tara, Anya, Xander, and Giles had joined her.

Lindsey came out of the Kitchen drying his hands on a cloth sticking out of his apron. He smirked at the Vampire covered by witches and a little girl. Spike grunted as the stranger stood there watching with weird look in his eye.

"You gonna help me mate?"

Lindsey ignored him and proceeded to lift Willow in his arms. He carried her haggard form up the stairs and to the master bedroom. He soon returned for his cousin, and followed by Dawn. He came back with a pillow and a blanket for the Vampire then woke the remaining three. He pointed at the clock and they nodded. Anya and Xander took Buffy's room, Giles the spare room, and Spike the couch. Lindsey sat holding a drink watching the fire as he remembered months prior when he too lost some one special. As the fire burned down Lindsey fell in to a fitful sleep about a certain man in black with a pale completion and too much hair gel.

And that is how the first day ended. The reason this is so important is because it was to play a pivotal role in the life of our main character. But that is another part of the story reserved for another night. For tonight just be content with the beginning, for it is just that, a beginning. Why we haven't even begun the real story yet...