RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Severus glared after the retreating boys and then turned his glare on his old friend, who was staring after them sadly. The witch was shifting uncomfortably and the others were looking around in confusion and amusement. He watched as two of the girls followed Harry and the other boy.

He then asked the question that had been plaguing him since he was touched by the boy. "Why was he referring to himself as powerless? The brat is as powerful as Potter," Severus growled at his friend.

Giles looked at him in shock and confusion, so he didn't see the look of fear and shame on Willow's face. However, Spike and Dawn did. "What did you do, Willow?" Dawn asked quietly.

Giles turned to look at the pair while Spike came to stand beside the two wizards. Willow shifted and tears began to slowly track down her face. "You know how Xander's been changing lately? While I've been magically weaker?" she asked.

"Yes, he's seemed stronger. While your spells seem less potent," Giles answered.

"That's because he is. Xander's a wizard. I still have power, but not as much as Xander. I was syphoning off his magic. It wasn't until he stopped me from destroying the world that I realized how far gone I was. I've been trying to make up for it by feeding magic back into him, but it doesn't seem to be working," she told them, shamefully.

Giles felt himself go pale and rage filled his eyes. "Why can't I feel the magic in him? I know what to look for, did you do a spell on me?"

"NO! I removed a few spells though. I couldn't get them all without telling you, though." she bit her lip, but didn't look up.

Severus turned and studied his old friend carefully. His eyes narrowed as he saw what the young witch saw. He growled and murmured a spell.

Giles swayed for a moment before regaining his balance. The change was recognizable at once. Giles stood straighter than he had in years and there was a look in his eyes that made Andrew whimper in fright.

Willow paled and backed away from her mentor. She could feel his power. Power that rivalled her own and was equal to that of the wizard in front of her. "What else have you done, Willow, and don't bother to lie," Giles purred.

She began to sob, "I put a spell on Xander to make him help me resurrect Buffy. He didn't want to, but I knew I needed him. I don't know why I did these things, Giles. I was happy just being the hacker. What's wrong with me?"

Giles scowled; it was true. Willow had enjoyed using magic, but she had preferred playing with her computers. But since Tara's death, she had avoided them and relied heavily on magic instead. The Willow he knew would never have done the things the girl had admitted to. Stepping forward, he gently wrapped the sobbing child in his arms and held her. "Willow, until we know why you're doing this, I want you to use no more magic," he told her.

She nodded. "It hurts when I do magic," she confessed. Both Severus and Giles paled at that and shared a look. Someone was trying to turn her into another Ethan. __

______________________________________________________________

Xander stood silently in the doorway. They had just returned as Willow began to make her confessions and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He took a step back and felt arms go around him. Looking down he saw that it was Buffy holding him. She had tears on her face and looked as bad as he felt.

What was happening to his Willow? He rubbed a free hand over his stomach, then turned and caught Spike looking at them. He felt Harry shift beside him and noticed the lightning shaped scar on his forhead. He then rubbed his hip again. "How did you get that scar on your forehead?" he asked, startling everyone.

They all turned to look at them, and Willow began to shake uncontrollably as she realized that Buffy and Xander had heard what she had done. When she saw the scar she sobbed harder. "It's from the same curse I used on you," she whispered.

Giles' arms tightened convulsively round her. "I don't know why I did it. I just did. Part of me was screaming not to hurt Xander, then I was suddenly cursing him and burning him with magic." Willow was screaming in panic by the time she reached the end of her explanation.

Severus pulled his wand, aimed it at her and whispered a spell. Seconds later Willow was unconscious in Giles' arms. "What's wrong with Willow, and what is this curse she was talking about?" Dawn asked fearfully.

"I believe someone is trying to turn her into a chaos mage. The curse is an unforgivable one. It is a killing curse. Mr. Potter's parents were murdered with one, and it's how he got his scar," Giles explained.

"How come Xander doesn't have a scar?" Kennedy asked as she looked on warily. She was worried about the girl she was coming to care for.

"I do. It's on my hip," Xander answered.

"That is most unusual. Both you and Potter are the only two people I know of that have survived the killing curse," Severus murmured as he eyed the two young men.

tbc