RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The joke played on Giles didn't go as everyone had hoped and planned. Instead they were shown the new side of Giles that was released now that Ethan had been returned to him. Giles had merely committed on how lucky Severus, Spike, and Harry were and left it at that that. The table had erupted in delighted laughter, especially from those that had known him before the ending of the spell.

Severus and Spike had gone off to help research for more information on the First with Giles, Ethan, Wesley and Dumbledore and gradually the groups faded away. Hermione had taken Harry with her and it left Xander with just Remus and Sirius in the room. After a quick grin for the two men, Sirius had wandered off to find what trouble he could get himself into.

"I *missed* you, missed getting to see you grow." Remus said sadly.

"I wish I had a way to show you what it was like, and to learn what it would have been like to be raised by you," Xander said in response. He had gotten to spend time with his father in the last few days and found that he really liked the man. There was a void in both of their lives and they both wished that Remus would have been the one to raise Xander.

Halfrek, who had been listening, smiled to herself. It was rare to answer a wish such as theirs, but that was exactly what she was going to do. With two fateful words two minds were joined, "Wish granted."

Anya looked up from the book she was holding, and surged to her feet. "* XANDER!*" She screamed suddenly.

She ran from the library and back down into the main hall, Dawn who had been sitting with her, ran after Anya. She wondered how Anya knew something had happened to Xander, but didn't question it.

As Anya was running to Xander, Cordy and Faith were also tearing down the hall to their fallen friend from the Gryffindor tower. From the opposite direction Severus, Harry, and Spike were also running. On their heels were the men that they had been researching with.

When the group reached the main hall it was Anya that burst in first. The doors flew open under the force of her worry and fear. Her eyes froze everyone in her path with the dark gleam of vengeance and rage. As one the people running to Xander stopped and stepped back away from Anya. It was then that they saw Anya for the dangerous and protective creature she was.

"Relax Anyanka. I have not hurt your former love," Hallie said gently. Anya growled at her. "Really Anyanka, I did not hurt him. They both wished to see the life that they would have had had Remus been allowed to raise Alexander. They were also wishing to see what the others life was like up to now."

Anya growled again. "Xander would not have wanted his father to know what happened to him." Anya told her angrily.

"What do you mean what happened to him?" Buffy demanded.

Anya bared her teeth at the slayer, who backed away suddenly. "If Xander wanted you to know he would have told you his secrets. Since he didn't it is obvious it is none of your business." Buffy nodded, not wanting to piss the former demon off anymore than she already was.

"Anyanka, they share a common pain." Hallie told her gently.

Anya spun to face her, a look of inhuman fury crossing her face. Whimpers stole from several people and Dawn wailed in anguish. This brought another wave of shock and rage from Anya. "You knew?" Anya asked Dawn.

"I'm a million year old being, when Willow's Tabula Rosa spell broke I regained memories of many things. I never told anyone, but I also regained the memories of my creation. The monks didn't choose where I would come to. I did. I knew everyone, every life, every person as the Key. I chose Joyce as my mother and Buffy as my sister. I know the sorrow, the pain, the loneliness of everyone of our friends and family. I know the terror and the shattering heart break that they have all suffered in their lives. I know the secrets that they have never shared with anyone. I know the faults and the virtues; it is why I chose you." Dawn whispered to them, her greatest secret was released now.

The Scoobies and the Fang Gang moved to her and each of them hugged her. To know that she had still chosen to become a part of their lives had touched them deeply. None more so than Buffy, she had always thought it was only her strength that had had her chosen to be Dawn's sister. To know that Dawn had chosen her knowing how screwed up she was, humbled her and made her love Dawn more. "Thank you," Buffy whispered to her as she finally got to hug her sister.

Tbc…