RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Later, after everyone had settled and the two who had been injured had been treated, Harry asked a question that had been plaguing him since Xander and the others had related the trial they had been through. "Why did Willow and Xander have to go through the reckoning? Mr. Rayne didn't have to go through one, nor Giles."

Tara was quiet for a moment, then she looked over at the Sunnydale-born group. "As children of the hellmouth, Xander, Willow, Cordelia and Andrew have been corrupted to a certain degree. In Xander's case, it didn't matter that he was not born on the hellmouth. He was there from the time he was six months old, and this gave the hellmouth time to bond to him and to his magic. The reason that Andrew, Willow and Jonathon were all prone to dark magic was because of that taint. Yes, they all had spells cast on them, but they are, or were, powerful in their own right. If it weren't for the hellmouth's influence, they would not have fallen to the spells. Before Willow fell to the spell and started working dark magic, her spells were less potent and more likely than not to fall apart. That was because the hellmouth was subtly fighting her." Tara paused and Harry spoke again.

"So basically the hellmouth claimed them as its children. When Willow worked light magic, it was like she was rebelling against her parent so it didn't work?"

"Yes, her getting weaker again had nothing to do with giving Xander back his magic, and everything to do with her once again fighting the hellmouth. As for Xander, he was also tainted and he has held himself back, even recently, out of guilt over what he had done to both Jesse and Angel. By allowing him to fight for Jesse's freedom from hell, he was able to assuage that guilt and burn away the taint. That is why they lost their sight. Their tears were the pure waters that were needed to cleanse the other two. Andrew was able to overcome his taint when he stood against the First and helped the Scoobies. Cordelia still has hers, but because she has no magic in her there should be no reason to worry," Tara explained.

"What I want to know is how they do magic without a wand, and how the wandless wizards know about us," Mione said curiously.

"We are with an ancient council that keeps an eye on all things supernatural. Centuries ago, we found out about one another. Every five years, until the rise of Voldemort, three children of the Watcher's were sent to Hogwarts as part of an exchange program. Ethan and Giles were two such students. Andrew and I were appointed to liaise with the Order when it became clear that we were against the ban in the Watcher's Council and that we had a talent for magic. Andrew was recruited two years ago, so was Jon. Unfortunately they, like Willow, were betrayed by the Council," Wes explained.

"Could we learn such forms of magic?" Mione asked.

"No, the form of magic that we use comes from inside us. It is an elemental magic. We could learn to use your magic, but we would be barely stronger than a squib, with a wand. The only two people that could really transfer such talents are Severus and Harry. Though Xander and Willow could learn your type of magic and still be powerful," Tara answered before anyone else could.

"I've got a question. How come you don't stutter and hide anymore?" Spike asked suddenly. "I like the change, mind you, but I am curious."

"Being dead changes a person. I realized that I have nothing to fear anymore, really, and I have Willow," Tara answered him with a smile. Kennedy shifted and looked away. "I also have Kennedy to keep me strong." Kennedy looked back at her and smiled happily. Maybe she had a future with the two witches after all.