RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim & Spock's son is born.



*~*~*~*~*


Reminded of Joanna’s birth at this moment, when he held Jim and Spock’s son in his arms, McCoy supressed a tear. He was better at supressing emotions than Spock gave him credit for “ though, he hypothesized that, somewhere, deep in his psyche, Spock realised this. “Well, you two…Meet your son!” Leonard smiled. He handed the baby to Spock.

“Oh, WOW..!” Jim commented, caressing his child’s tiny brow. His touch was so light. The boy looked up at Jim. “His eyes are such a dark green…”

“That is part of his Vulcan heritage.” Spock noted, cradling his new born son. “Some Vulcans have very dark emerald hued eyes.” He pushed back from the baby’s forehead, a thick little mop of hair. Dark; Very dark hair, but with hints of Jim’s hazel coloured hair interspersed; tinted on the ends as though the boy had been to a Human’s hairdressing shop…

“He’s a sweet little fella, isn’t he?” Leonard noted.

Jim spoke while still gazing at his son. “Wonderful!”

“What do you think of him, Mr Spock?” Leonard smiled.

“Fascinating..!” Spock carefully clasped his son’s little hand. “And, wonderful. Truly wonderful!”

**

“The med teams will bring him back soon, Spock…” Jim held Spock’s hands in his. “I’ll go check on him…” He turned, and was about to get up and go out of the door, in this, one of New Vulcan’s neonatal hospitals.

“No need.” A Vulcan male nurse announced, bringing the child in to the room.

“Where’s Doctor McCoy?” Jim asked.

“I’m here, Jim…” McCoy replied, entering the room. He brought with him much bottle feeding paraphernalia.

The Vulcan Nurse left.

“Will ‘The Stork’ be joining us in a moment?” Spock queried, as he watched Jim pick up their son from his crib.

“Soon.” McCoy noted. “They’ve been very helpful.” He said it without rancour. “This little man,” McCoy smiled at the baby. “deserves his dinner anyhow, and he's due his first meeting with his Grandpa Sarek…”

Spock nodded.

“Thought of any names for your son yet, either of you?” McCoy asked.

“That’s a matter we are still discussing, Doctor.” Spock answered.

Leonard smiled.

“It’s tough to choose!” Jim mentioned, as he sat, with his son, in the chair next to Spock’s bed.

“Indeed.” Spock agreed.

“You’ll figure it all out. He’ll help you!” Leonard started arranging the feeding bottles and things he’d brought with him from down the corridor.

“Perhaps, you have something to say..?” Jim asked his son, who was looking up at him again.

“If he takes after the both of you, he has plenty of things to say!” McCoy quipped.

“We’ll share the list with him later…” Jim replied to McCoy.

“Perhaps, we should consult him…” Spock mused.

“It would not be entirely illogical.” Sarek stood at the door.

“Come in, father…” Spock invited him.

“And grandfather..!” Jim noted. He handed the baby boy back to his other father, Spock, and shared a glance with him. He then got up, and indicated that Sarek take his seat next to his family for a moment.

Sarek did so.

“I’ll just go get some stuff…” McCoy turned to leave.

Sarek nodded with gratitude toward McCoy.

McCoy noted the acknowledgement. It was not unkind.

A moment after McCoy left, Sarek and Spock turned to regard one another. “Do you wish to hold your grandson, father?”

Sarek held out his arms.

Undeniably, there was an albeit discreet look of awe and pride on his father’s face, as Spock handed the new grandson to the new grandfather very carefully. Spock was relieved to see that look in his father’s eyes. For a moment, he wished he had seen that look in his father’s eyes before; it could be that he had… It was almost irrelevant because what mattered was that he saw it now. He was happy for his child’s sake, and his own.

Jim stood there smiling; happy for everyone in this room, looking at this reassuring family scene. He thought of his own father. George was a name being considered as one of what would turn out to be their son’s rather elaborate chosen names; yet there were so many people to honour. Amanda and her family line, too, if they took that route. Ah, well. It would all work out in the end, Jim hoped and prayed; wondering what other choices they would make for their son, like where he would spend most of his life living, after the first few weeks on New Vulcan, followed by the planned month on Earth, in San Francisco, setting up a family worthy apartment there “ During this sabbatical, Matt Decker was Captaining the Enterprise; Scotty would be First Officer “ But Jim and Spock had been promised their places back, aboard Enterprise. For several of their weeks off, Enterprise would be in Spacedock for maintenance, and discussions about how she, and others of her class, and yet more, in the fleet, might be refit to enable families and servicemen to live aboard her together, all the time, apart from in Battle, when the Saucer Section, containing the families of the Officers and enlisted, would be separated, and theoretically, able to make it to safety…