RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim looks after Spock...



*~*~*~*~*


Plans were in place that ‘The Stork’, as Jim called them, at least some of them, those who made this pregnancy happen, specifically the medical team Jim and Spock met, would be present on New Vulcan, as would Bones, when time came for the baby to be delivered.

What would life be like from that moment on? Would they bring up the child on Enterprise, in-line with Starfleet’s controversial plans to accommodate families on Starships, to spread out the U.F.P’s population, supposedly to reduce the chances of an attack like that on original Vulcan, from almost entirely decimating a race.

Jim was uncertain of this theory. He, of course, knew of the dangers of a family being placed on a Starship.

Would he and Spock not be star-faring Starfleet Officers? Where would they live? Would their child sometimes have to go and live on New Vulcan with Sarek, while Jim and Spock went on a Mission; would New Vulcan, in the meantime, be at risk of attack again?

Jim knew there was a lot to consider, and that he and Spock were considering it all. It had been a sigh of relief for them that they now knew they could count on Spock’s father, Sarek, for support and help, but Jim realised that Spock still was concerned that his father would not understand his grandchild’s predicament, and deal with the child from a solely Vulcan point of view… Spock had similar memories of such times in his own childhood, and now, of course, Amanda would not be there to influence and guide her husband.

If not for their Starfleet family of friends, Sarek, and each other, though, they would be alone; figuring out how to bring up their child “ at least they were not that.

“There…” McCoy stated. “The baby’s well.” He turned back from the screen. “See for yourselves…” He stepped back, so that Jim and Spock could see the image on the screen. “Look at those little pointy ears!”

“Adorable!” Jim grinned, and from that moment, he was transfixed by the clear picture, so clear, of his and Spock’s child in Spock’s, for want of a better word, implanted, womb.

“Quite.” Spock noted. His eyes were smiling.

“So beautiful…” Jim looked from the baby on the screen, who seemed to be looking right at him and Spock, to Spock himself. He discreetly touched Spock’s fingers, which were down by his side, as he lay, propped up on the biobed, with its privacy screen around them, even though, for once, apart from themselves, Sickbay was empty.

**

Jim lay down on his and Spock’s bed. Spock did still have separate quarters, but, in recent months, with his Blessing, Jim had ‘acquired’/ requisitioned a bed for them both in his quarters.

He knew that, of late, and now, Spock was having to deal with emotions that made him want to cry “ for joy, and with concern, should they not be able to work everything out for the best for their baby’s future, and theirs.

Jim, too, had felt his own set of emotions, emotions that sometimes threatened tears, regarding all these matters. He caressed and then kissed Spock’s shoulder, with his lips and hands, and fingertips.

T’hy’la? He asked, through their bond.

I am alright, Jim. I promise. Spock responded.

Your back’s still hurting though… Jim noted.

Yes. Spock answered honestly. “But it is not contractions or any such thing, and, I believe, supported in my theory and assured a little, by Leonard’s scan, that the baby is comfortable and well. I will cope.

Jim moved momentarily, got up, and walked around to Spock’s side of the bed, going to his bedside cabinet, and retrieving the pain relief gel McCoy had, the other day, insisted Spock take back to the quarters.

Spock simply watched Jim.

Jim crouched down, touching Spock’s hands, and looking into his eyes. “Let me put some of this stuff on those back muscles, hey?” He asked permission gently.

“I will acquiesce this time. I do not wish to cause the baby any stress.” Spock mentioned. Spock moved one of his hands, to lay over the point within, where their child grew.

Jim lay one of his hands there, too, touching Spock’s. “He’s not stressed at all, Ashaya… You’re right to get rid of your pain so that he remains unaffected.”

Spock nodded.

Jim got up, walked back around to his side of the bed, carefully clambered on, and applied the gel to his hands. His hands got beneath Spock’s robe, and began to soothingly massage his tender back. I love you… You’re doing so well with all this… He told Spock, telepathically.

Spock began to be able to relax, and, in his mind, in unguarded waves of his deepest emotions, told Jim he was so grateful for his love and gentility, and reciprocated every bit of it with all of his heart.

Thank God we visited The Stork! Jim mused, in the midst of these moments of complete openness and truth, finding such healing comfort for and with the man he loved…

Thank you to them and our son for bringing us together… Tu Dena-val, Ashaya… Spock let the warmth of his love and happiness be known.