RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +



Author's Chapter Notes:
On the path to preparation for the arrival of their baby...



*~*~*~*~*


Spock knew Jim was nearby, just in case he was needed to lend support and aid in explaining this situation. He knew Jim was uneasy with leaving this task to him alone, but they both knew that his father would deal with this news better if Spock spoke of the matter discreetly, as was the Vulcan way, if anything must be discussed at all.

“I know that this is not conventional, father. I realise that you may find the matter… awkward to consider…” Spock spoke.

“It is, as you say, unconventional, but I am not entirely a stranger to the unconventional, Spock. You are testimony to this fact.” Sarek pointed out.

“Indeed.” Spock nodded. “You must not be concerned for me. I am coping well.”

“Yes. I believe you are.” Sarek was being genuine in his appraisal.

“This child will be even more human than I am.” Spock noted.

“I married your mother, Spock, for all the right reasons, as I have heard humans phrase it… I also consented that she and I should try to conceive a child together; consented to going to see, to discuss, in some detail, the matters of your conception, with those in the medical profession. I believe in Infinite Diversity, and great worth, in Infinite Combinations. I do not believe that breeding between humans and Vulcans is wrong…” Sarek tried to talk as openly as he dare. “When you were born, and I commented on the fact that you were so human, it was simply an observation. Not an insult. The Vulcan Doctors, and the Human ones, were in agreement, that your Vulcan genetics would very likely be the predominant ones.”

“And, you do not believe that they are..? You still believe I am ‘so human’, as you put it?” Spock dared to ask.

“You are equally Vulcan and Human, my son.” Sarek answered.

“And your Grandchild?” Spock queried.

“Will be my Grandchild, and I, a Grandfather to him or to her.” Sarek promised.

“Thank you, father.” Spock replied. Inwardly, he sighed with relief, and considerable happiness “ more weight than he realised would be, had been lifted from his shoulders by the words he hoped to hear, and did hear, from his father.

The chime went to announce someone’s presence outside the quarters. Jim’s. The T’hy’la bond between them was exceptionally strong, of course.

“Come in…” Spock called.

“Hello.” Jim said to Spock and his father, as he walked in. “Are we alright?” He sat down, looked at Spock, and to the place where their baby grew within him, in the womb implanted by ‘The Stork’, and then, Jim looked at Spock’s father.

Sarek nodded discreetly.

“We are fine, Jim…” Spock answered honestly.

Jim looked at Spock, and smiled. He handed over the small bag he had been carrying. “Your vitamin prescription from Bones…”

“Thank you.” Spock spoke warmly.

“James,” Sarek spoke up almost hesitantly.

Jim looked to his father-in-law.

“I thank you for looking after my son and Grandchild.” He stated honestly.

“Ever and always; I want nothing more than to do so, and do so well…” Jim spoke eloquently and truthfully. In that moment, he felt such a depth of warmth, love, and a pledge to do the same for him, from Spock, his husband. It was a depth of love that he knew always to be there “ They didn’t need to speak of it often, but they would act upon it forevermore…