RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


~~~one month later~~~

With a gentle smile on his handsome face, Jim watched as Blair got dressed in his best clothes and donned his best handmade jewelry. As a Shaman, Blair was the closest thing to Terran clergy on Farming Planet J2X83, and because of that, Daryl had asked Blair to perform the ceremony of his marriage to Kevin Lee. To say that Blair had been thrilled and honored was a major understatement.

Blair had thrown himself into the idea with all of his generous and compassionate heart. He had taken the time to sit down and discuss it with Simon and Chin, then he had sat down and talked about it with Daryl and Kevin. Blair knew quite a bit about both of the boys traditional cultures, but had made sure that everyone understood that he was not, and had never been recognized by those cultures to perform religious ceremonies. He also, with help from Jim, explained about the Chopec and what it meant to be one of their Shaman's.

After much discussion, they had arrived at a solution of sorts. The ceremony would combine elements of both Daryl's and Kevin's cultures, but the main vows and blessings would be Chopec in nature. Different people had been invited to participate, to perform specific functions. Everyone else on the compound had been invited to be witnesses and celebrants. The Prantellian overlords had, oddly enough, been pleased with the concept and had granted a full day release from work duties to all those who would be in the ceremony, and a half days work to those who would attend as witnesses.

Once word had gotten around about Daryl's wedding and especially about Blair's status as a tribally recognized Chopec Shaman, many other weddings and ceremonies were planned. This trend became even more apparent once the Prantellians gave their approval and recognized Blair as an official religious personage. Almost over night, Blair had found himself to be the Shaman of the entire compound. His duties in the fields have been cut back, as he was now expected to care for the spiritual well being and morals of the Terrans on the farm.

After a day or two of bouncing between exuberant excitement and panicked terror, Blair had settled into his new role with the compassion and determination to succeed that he had always shown. Jim was proud of him. He knew that it was a lot of responsibility to drop on one man's shoulders, but Jim was positive that Blair was strong enough and smart enough, to not just do it, but do it astonishingly well. And tonight was Blair's first public ceremony as Shaman.

Jim looked over to see that his beloved Guide was finished dressing. Blair wore a loose fitting blue jumpsuit, just like everyone else. However, in his role of Shaman, he also wore a thin white, knee length vest that had silver and blue symbols embroidered on it. Blair had hand sewn the symbols himself. He had chosen to decorate the bottom edge of his 'robes' with small symbols of the many different cultures that he was familiar with. The twin edges that ran up his front held lager symbols for the elements and the spirit guides. These were interwoven with a flowering planet to represent growth and prosperity. Over his heart was the symbol of the Chopec.

The Chopec normally paint their faces with red ochre, symbolizing the sacred blood of the Earth. Farming Planet J2X83 did not produce red ochre, however, Blair found a suitable substitute that was found naturally on their new world. When ground to a powder and then mixed with water, it produced a bright yellow paint.

Jim took the bowl of yellow paint and carefully painted the mask of the Spirit World on his Guides beautiful face. Once done, he turned to the small mirror in their bedroom and painted his face with the ancient mask of the Sentinel. After Blair had mixed up some more of the paint, Jim carefully kissed his beloved without smearing either of their painted faces, then walked out of the room and down the hall.

Knocking on Simon's door, he found his former Captain and his son putting on the finishing touches of their clothes. Both wore their blue jumpsuits, but Daryl, as one of the grooms, had a white sash over one shoulder that crossed his chest and back to meet at his left hip. It too was decorated with symbols, though not nearly as many as Blair's vest.

Both of them smiled at Jim as he walked into their room. Both seemed nervous, but Daryl looked ready to climb the walls. Jim smiled at the display of cold feet.

"Hey Jim. Come to paint our faces?"

Simon seemed almost grateful for the distraction. Jim's smile grew wider.

"Yep. Who's first?"

After taking a searching glance at his pacing son, Simon made a quick decision.

"Why don't you decorate Daryl first, then you can do me? You can explain what the paint all means while you're doing it. Okay?"

Jim read between the words loud and clear. Distract Daryl. Get his mind focused on something. Anything. Jim and Blair had already explained about the painted masks and how they are meant to represent an archetype. The ideal or best of what one could be. After Jim was done here, he'd go across the compound to paint the faces of Chin and Kevin Lee as well. Still, if this is what it took to keep Daryl from pacing a hole through the floor, so be it.

"Sure thing Simon. Come on over here Daryl. Sit down and we'll get you painted up right."

Looking like he was about to run off in ten directions at once, Daryl made his way over to the chair and sat in front of Jim. Carefully, Jim began to paint as he quietly re-told the story of the ancient Chopec spirit that grants fertility and offers protection to all children.

~~~

Brian Rafe stood back and gazed into his lovers face. Three bright yellow lines had been painted across his forehead to symbolize his status as a warrior. The single line that ran down his forehead, nose and chin was meant to represent that he was a veteran warrior who had fought many battles with the enemy and had spilled blood in the defense of the tribe. At first, Rafe hadn't understood why Jim had chosen to decorate the gentle man he loved as such, but then Jim had told him that the Chopec considered cops to be equivalent to tribal warriors or hunters, so it was very appropriate. In his secret heart of hearts, he thought it made Henri look even sexier than normal. He didn't actually think that was possible until Jim had painted his face.

All of the wedding party was in place and the witnesses were starting to show up at the small open field that the ceremony was being performed in. With one last quick kiss to his lovers cheek, Brian turned and made his way over to the front row of the witnesses on Daryl's side of the audience. He was very aware that it was the side that was traditionally reserved for the family and friends of the 'bride'. Brian tried not to think too hard on how he felt about that. If he did, he'd have to face the fact that as a hermaphrodite, he would be considered a 'bride' as well.

To keep such thoughts as far from his mind as possible, Brian deliberately turned his attention to finding Mike and Doc, two of his Barracks-mates. Mike was an E.M.T. from Cascade and was currently working at the Med-Lab here on Farming Planet J2X83 and Doc was a Veterinarian that was assigned to care for all of the common Earth housecats and the slightly larger and very cuddly Bromisis, which was a ferret-like animal imported from Corris Prime. Both were excellent at hunting and catching the small rodent and reptile type creatures that threatened the plants harvested here.

Finding his friends quickly, Brian made his way over to them. They immediately made room for him at the front of the throng of wedding goers and Doc handed over the woven basket of wildflowers that he had been holding for Brian. After the ceremony, the audience was supposed to throw the hastily gathered blooms and throw them at the couple. He barely had time to thank the older man for watching them when Blair and Jim walked to the center of the main area reserved for the actual marriage. In bits and pieces, all the surrounding conversation died away.

Blair started things off by saying a few words in Chopec. For all Brian knew, it could have been a benediction or a curse. Since he found himself relaxing and smiling at his elaborately painted and decorated friends, he chose to believe it was a blessing over them all. Switching back to the broken mixture of Prantellian and English that most of the Terrans on the compound used, Blair began to explain that Jim was the Terrans 'Sentinel', whatever *that* was, although, when Brian stopped to think about it, it was an oddly familiar term that made him think about the time before Blair had joined the Department... Hmmmm?

Anyway, Blair went on to say that as our tribal Guardian, Jim was duty bound to watch out for and protect us during this holy ritual and beyond. Then, Jim stepped forward, announced that he approved of the joining of souls that we were there to witness and would protect their rights to become one family, instead of two. Brian suppressed a quick smile. Jim's expression made it clear that he really would fight anyone who challenged that right.

Jim stepped back to stand slightly behind and to the right of the new Shaman. No, Brian corrected himself, Blair had been a Shaman for a long time, it was just *now* that it had become public knowledge. A quick nod from Blair and a steady drumming sound arose from the back section. Looking up and around over the other slave's heads showed him that it was the entire gang who worked the Frunto Tree Orchards where Daryl and Kevin had met that was making the 'music'.

At that cue, Chin Lee escorted his nephew Kevin down the aisle between the two separate groups of witnesses. Once they reached the small area near Blair, Chin turned to face the audience. With grave dignity, he formally introduced Kevin Lee and recited his lineage for four generations. He then asked his ancestors to smile on the couple and bless them with another generation to come. The older man then lit one of the three candles up there to signify the burning light that was his family's honor. As different as it was to Brian and his knowledge of weddings, he found it oddly beautiful and romantic.

The drummers suddenly skipped a double beat and then began up again in the same precise measure as before. Turning to the back again, Brian watched as Simon escorted Daryl down the aisle as well. Once at the front, Simon also introduced Daryl and then called upon *their* family ancestors and recited Daryl's lineage. Then, he too, lit a candle to signify the Banks family honor.

Blair spoke a few words in Chopec and made a few broad sweeping gestures. Even though Brian *still* didn't understand the language, he knew that it was a blessing. Switching back to the Prantellian/English mix that had, over the years of enslavement become the standard language of the compound, Blair spoke briefly about the need to cherish, honor, and support your partner in all things. He spoke of the desperate need for Terran children, and how the greatest gift that one could give a child was a loving family and strong community.

It was then that his lover Henri and another man called S.K., which was short for Samuel Kim, stepped forward. S.K.'s face was also decorated with yellow paint, but not in the warrior's mask that Henri wore. Brian wasn't sure what his mask signified, but made note to ask someone later. For now, he just watched and listened.

S.K. pronounced himself to be a long-time friend of the Lee family and asserted that Kevin was of suitable age and was worthy in both spirit and flesh to be wed. He also stated that any who felt that this was not true would have to face him, as he would champion Kevin and the Lee clan.

After S.K. had moved over to stand behind Chin Lee, Henri stepped forward. Brian felt his heart flutter briefly as he watched his beautiful lover. He had always been aware of Henri's good looks in an academic sort of way and he never doubted for a moment his partner's strength and fiercely loyal soul. He simply couldn't have been his permanent partner on the Police Force if he didn't have complete and total faith in him. But now, he could also see him as a lover and mate, a necessary and permanent part of his own future. It was a thrilling and often frightening thing, but at that very moment, Brian wanted to shout it at the top of his lungs. After a small internal battle, he decided to remain quiet.

With half his mind contemplating this sudden desire to ask Henri to marry him at some point in the near future, he listened as his lover swore to Daryl's worthiness to take marriage vows with Kevin Lee and then promise to do physical harm to anyone who said differently. Glaring around to make his point known, Henri then walked over to stand with the Banks clan as their personal champion.

Blair then spoke in Chopec to call upon the Spirits to bestow their blessings on the union and watch over them and any children they might have. Then Blair asked the two grooms to exchange vows of devotion to each other.

Brian found himself nearly reduced to tears. It was so simple and yet so touchingly beautiful. Kevin spoke of how much he loved and cherished Daryl. You could easily see it in his eyes that he practically worshipped the ground Daryl walked on. Daryl spoke of trust, faith and the need to believe in the kindness of a persons heart. He stated he had found all of that in Kevin. Then, as one, the two grooms lit the final candle from the separate family candles to signify that the two had joined to become one.

The two men then exchanged handmade jewelry. Kevin had carved Daryl a wooden bracelet and Daryl had fashioned a necklace from some polished stones that he had found. With a final blessing from Blair, the two kissed.

Jim was the first to officially welcome their new family to the tribe and pledged to protect them as well as any offspring they might have in his role as 'Sentinel'. It was a nice show of solidarity and strength to end the ceremony, but once again, Brian's mind clung to that word. Sentinel... Why was it so familiar?

Brian was pulled from his musing by the crowd around him erupting in cheers. Quickly getting himself back into the swing of things, he drew out a handful of wildflowers and tossed it at the only officially married couple on the plantation. Suddenly, he caught Simon's shinning eyes and he winked. Laughing softly, Brian realized that he felt wonderful. For someone who had been suffering for months from depression, you couldn't have beat the smile off his face.

~~~

The reception party was going amazingly well. While no one had seen a single drop of 'real' alcohol since the invasion, there *were* stills making hooch from various plants grown on the farm. Usually the Stragillon guards were strict about the consumption of what they called "skl'tar", but they made a point of looking the other way during the celebration. All in all, it was a festive evening.

Simon was congratulated numerous times. He was sure he was going to have a sore spot on his back from the number of people who happily thumped him there while spouting drunken speeches of well wishes and hopes for the future. Even Rafe, who was normally so quiet and reserved was enthusiastically dancing across the open bonfire lit field with Henri.

Going back to the side tables that were laden with food to grab just one more little nibble, Simon came across Jim and Blair. The younger man was slowly rubbing his still flat tummy and talking with someone about who knows what while Jim just watched him with a heart-warming goofy look of happiness on his face.

Slowly making his way over to them, he caught Jim's attention. Leaning down to whisper briefly in Blair's ear, he gently extricated himself from his lover and stepped around the excited gathering to Simon's side.

"Hey Simon. Congratulations about Daryl and Kevin. They make a good couple and I'm sure that before you know it you'll be talked into baby-sitting duty."

Simon couldn't help it. His smile grew wider at the thought of a grandchild to hold in his arms. For the longest time, he had thought that Daryl was to be the last Banks to ever be born. Now, that horrible future would not come to pass.

"Yeah. It was a lovely ceremony. Blair did a good job."

Simon chuckled at the automatic softening of Jim's face at the mere mention of his Guide and the way he quickly glanced around to run his eyes over the smaller, curly-haired man.

"You know Simon, Daryl looks to have the honor to be the first of many. So far, seven people have asked Blair to marry them. And they want to use the ceremony that you, Chin and Blair devised. Thanks to you guys, a new tradition has been born."

Simon let that thought wash over him. While he would prefer to be able to be home on Earth and back to the life he had always assumed would be his, he knew that would never happen. It would be generations before the Terrans would be even close to their previous strength, let alone strong enough to overthrow the Prantellians. Still, it was a wonderful feeling to know he had helped create a tradition that would most likely stretch that distance into the future without him, even if only here on Farming Planet J2X83.

Simon looked around Jim to watch Blair. The pregnant hermaphrodite was carefully avoiding the bootleg hooch, but he *was* holding court and gesturing wildly as he explained something which fascinated his audience. A sudden thought occurred to Simon.

"Jim. How is Sandburg holding up under the role of Shaman? I mean, I know that you took him down to Peru to visit the Chopec a year or so after he joined the Force and that they put him through rigorous training and testing, but that was never something he did openly. It was always something he kept between you two. It was sort of, I don't know,... private."

"Not really. Blair used his training all the time, but since no one really knew about it, they didn't notice."

Simon looked up at Jim in slight confusion. He was sure he would have known if Sandburg had come into the bullpen with his face painted and started babbling in Chopec.

"You see Simon, Blair took his duties as Shaman of the Great City very seriously. The rituals were all done in private, just the two of us at home, yes. But that's not all there is to being a Shaman. A Shaman uses his knowledge and compassion to help guide his people to greater understanding and self awareness. Blair has always done that. It didn't matter if it was helping out as a volunteer at the homeless shelter or helping someone get the counseling they needed or working as a mediator to some conflict. Blair *is* and always *was* a Shaman. It's only now that there is no one else to do the actual rituals that he is stepping forward to do them."

Simon looked more closely at the young man in question and thought about what Jim had said. Unbidden, memories washed over him from the past. Both from the time on Earth at the Police Station and from the time here at the compound. Suddenly, things that he had just ignored as a 'Sandburg thing to do' made sense. It wasn't so much a Sandburg thing as a Shaman thing. He had never realized...

"I bet he has a whole bunch of ideas about what he wants to do as our official Shaman, huh?"

Jim grinned at him, pride shinning in his bright blue eyes.

"Yes Sir. He certainly does."

~~~

Daryl had thought for a while that he and Kevin would never be able to get away from the party. But here they were, finally alone, ensconced in the room that was to be theirs from now on. They were both giddy and excited as they had slipped away into the darkness, but now...

A stillness had settled over them. An intense and deeply emotional stillness. Daryl looked up into the eyes of his husband and saw a burning hunger tempered by a vast love. It was a look that spoke to him on a primal level and he felt his body respond to it.

While they had indulged in many exciting make-out sessions, they had never gone any further. Daryl had not been ready yet and Kevin wanted to wait for the marriage ceremony. Now it was time to consummate their relationship. Daryl found that he was nervous. Very nervous. Not because he was afraid of Kevin or what they would do together, but because it was so new.

Slowly, Kevin stepped forward and Daryl felt a tremor run through him. He didn't want to run away, but he couldn't step forward either.

"Shhhh... Love. It's all right. It's wonderful. You're wonderful and I love you."

Gently, Kevin reached up and cupped Daryl's face with one warm hand. Slowly he brought their faces together and he placed a loving and tender kiss on his lips. The nervous energy melted away suddenly and Daryl felt very loved and cherished. Wrapping his arms around his husband, Daryl Banks-Lee embraced his destiny with a heart full of love and not a single regret.