RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


"I think we should throw Sandy a baby shower." Megan was lobbying her cause in the break room.

"You mean a party with those silly games like seeing who can make the most baby names using an anagram of the mother's name?" Rafe asked.

"Or seeing who can diaper the dolly fastest?" added Brown.

"No thanks," they answered in unison.

"But they need so much for the baby," Megan continued. "They need a crib and a stroller, clothes, lots and lots of nappies...." Her face lit up with an idea. "It doesn't have to be a traditional shower. We could make it a poker night party, and everyone brings baby gifts."

The men looked thoughtful. "That could work," Brown conceded.

"We'll have it at Jim and Sandy's place," said Megan, warming to the subject, "so that Sandy can crash early if he gets tired. I'll bring the snacks and you guys can bring the beer."

"Sounds like a plan," Rafe agreed. "Who all is invited?"

"Well," Megan considered, "you two, Joel and Simon? If anyone else wants to contribute, we can take up a collection from the rest of Major Crime for some of the larger gifts."
~oO0Oo~

"There's someone at the door," Jim mentioned, just before the knock.

"You get it, I have to pee," Blair said, waddling off to the bathroom.

Jim opened the door to a chorus of "Surprise!" Simon, Megan, Joel, Rafe and Brown stood in the doorway, loaded down with food and gifts.

"Uh, come in," he said, somewhat taken aback. Blair had had a rough day between a badly aching back and a bladder infection that wouldn't give way to the antibiotics Dr. Casey had prescribed. The couple had planned for a quiet and early end to their day. Yet who could turn down their best friends, especially when said friends were bearing food and gifts?

"Come on in," he offered, taking several containers from the top of the stack that Megan juggled.

"We have to go down and get more stuff," Simon said, edging his way through the door to set his pile of gifts near the fireplace.

"Where's Sandy?" Megan asked.

"In the bathroom. That damn bladder infection is still bothering him."

"Sorry, mate. Maybe we should come back some other evening."

"Megan!" Blair came out of the bathroom, arms extended for a hug. "Wow... wasn't expecting you here tonight."

"If you're not feeling well, Sandy, we'll go. I just wanted to give you a little baby shower. Thought maybe we could play a hand or two of cards. I brought the snacks; Rafe and Brown have the beer."

"You can stay," Blair assured her. "I'll just take a load off and rest." With some effort, he lowered himself into the yellow chair by the fireplace. "Seems to be the only seat in the house I can get up from without help these days," he chuckled.

The rest of the partygoers returned with several large packages, and another pile of smaller ones.

Megan started unwrapping the food; pouring chips into bowls, getting the dips and veggies unwrapped and finding a place for the cooler of iced beers.

The rest of the guys settled around the table with a deck of cards. "Going to join us, Hairboy?" Brown called.

"Nah. Wouldn't be right of me to take all your money, considering you brought over all these gifts," Blair quipped.

Ignoring the men, Megan crossed the room with a beer in one hand and a 7-Up in the other. She sat on the edge of the coffee table, facing Blair. She handed him the soda.

"Thanks."

"No worries, Sandy." She paused, giving him a good long look. "Are you feeling okay tonight?"

"Not really," he admitted, reaching a hand behind himself to rub at the small of his back. "My back's been killing me lately. Lynne says it's partly due to my having a narrow pelvis. I'm not built to 'spread' like a woman. And this bladder infection.... Geez, I have to go again." He tried to push up, but dropped back in the chair.

Before Megan could even get to her feet to help, Jim was there, pulling Blair up out of the chair. "Need help?"

"Nah. I can still go to the bathroom by myself, thank you." He shook his head and smiled at Megan. "He's so protective. Gets a little claustrophobic in here at times." They both chuckled at Jim's scowl.

"Be that way. I'm going back to take your share of the winnings tonight, Chief. You're going to be sorry you didn't play."

"And sit on one of those hard dining room chairs? Are you kidding? My tailbone would never forgive me!" He lumbered past the group of card players and headed for the bathroom.

Megan walked over to the table. "Maybe we ought to let Sandy open his gifts, and then get out of here. Better yet, let's just go and let him open them when he's feeling better. He really looks beat tonight." She turned to Jim. "Sorry about the surprise party. I never even considered that Sandy might be too tired. It was thoughtless of me."

"You meant well, Megan." Jim smiled. "Besides, I think Blair enjoyed the surprise. He was grousing something terrible before you all showed up."

"Sure ... dis the pregnant guy behind his back." Blair came out of the bathroom. "I know you were talking about me. I suppose everyone's thinking about packing up and leaving? Well, think again." He pulled up an extra chair and squeezed his way between Joel and Rafe. "I changed my mind. Deal me in."
~oO0Oo~

An hour later, Blair had a pile of chips in front of himself, while everyone else's stash was looking pretty thin. He spread out his cards in a long, luxurious manner, revealing a royal flush. "Read 'em and weep," he said, raking in the pile of chips from the middle of the table.

"I think maybe it's time we open the presents, don't you?" Jim interrupted before the good-natured complaining could get too loud.

"I think that's an excellent idea," Megan agreed.

"Uh, Jim?" Blair looked across the table at his lover. "Suppose you could come over here and help me lift my petrified butt off this chair?"

Jim walked around the table and pulled him up. Blair winced, leaning against the strength of his partner. Jim wrapped an arm around him and led him to the couch.

"Oh, no, Jim. Not the couch!" Blair said in mock horror. "I'll end up spending the night there!"

"You need the room for all the gifts," Jim explained. "Besides, I want to sit next to you. I'm in on this too, you know."

Once everyone was settled, Megan brought over the first of the gifts.

"From Simon and Daryl," Blair read the card before tearing into the packages. There was an assortment of baby garments, a hand-knit baby afghan from Simon's ex, and several rattles and small toys. "Gee, Simon. Thanks. This is great."

Jim rubbed Blair's aching back as he leaned forward to accept another stack of gifts. "You know, we learned the sex of the baby today," Jim told his friends.

"Really? So, which is it; boy or girl?" Rafe asked.

"Girl." Blair grinned triumphantly at Jim.

"I knew it!" Megan bragged. "Congrats! Any ideas for a name yet?"

"Yeah. We decided on Laurene Victoria, after both our maternal grandmothers," Jim told her.

"I think that's a beautiful name! Oh, I'm so excited!"

"Not nearly as excited as I am," Blair groused. "I will be so glad to see my feet again. You wouldn't believe how hard it is getting dressed in the morning." He sighed and continued tearing at packages.

A half hour later Blair and Jim were surrounded by piles of baby clothes, toys, blankets and packages of both disposable and cloth diapers. "Wow," Blair breathed. "This is too much, guys."

"Daryl and I actually had fun shopping," Simon confessed. "It's been a long time since I had to buy anything that small!"

"How about that stuff over there?" Brown indicated a stack of four gifts still sitting next to the fireplace.

Megan got up and picked up the smallest of the large packages. "This one's from me," she said.

Tearing off the paper with abandon, Blair said, "But you've already given us enough.... Oh, Jim!"

"It's an automatic swing, Sandy," Megan explained as if the young man couldn't see for himself. "It's perfect for when the baby's fussy, or you need to put her down for a bit. You just push the button and it swings her to sleep."

"Wow, that's really great, Megan! Thanks!"

Rafe and Brown dragged the largest package across the hardwood floor. "This one's from the Major Crime gang. Not everybody could come tonight, but most people wanted to contribute."

"You open it, Jim," Blair begged, falling back against the couch cushions.

Jim tore the paper off the box, revealing a crib.

"Something to keep you busy putting together while you wait for little Laurene to arrive." Rafe chuckled.

"Thanks a lot, guys," Jim replied with a touch of sarcasm.

"Just a couple more," Brown said, bringing them over. "These are from the guys in Vice. Word got around we were throwing you a shower, and some of the guys wanted to contribute."

The gifts turned out to be a highchair and stroller. Jim promised to make sure he thanked all the proper people in the morning.

The room was strewn with paper and boxes, the gifts piled high next to Blair on the couch, but the guest of honor was sound asleep. Jim smiled at him. "He had a busy day."

"We kind of figured that," Simon said, a note of warm affection coloring his voice. "Why don't you take care of him while we clean up?"

"Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Simon." He turned his attention to the sleeping man. "Blair? Blair, Honey? Time to wake up." He shook him gently.

Blair stirred and opened heavy-lidded eyes. "Wha...?"

"You fell asleep, Buddy. Time to get up and go to bed."

"Wake up to go to sleep?" Blair sounded a bit confused.

"You need to take your meds and get into your night clothes," Jim explained. "Here, let me help." He stood and tugged on Blair's arms until he managed to lever the reluctant bulk out of the cushions. He guided the young man toward the bathroom, standing behind him while he brushed his teeth and took his medications.

"How about you pee one more time before we go upstairs?"

"I don't have to go," Blair complained.

"You'll have to go as soon as we get upstairs if you don't do it now."

"I can't see my dick."

Jim sighed, pulling the elastic band of the sweatpants down and reaching in for Blair's penis. He pointed it at the bowl and ordered, "Pee."

"I can't pee with you holding my dick," Blair complained.

"Then you hold it," Jim growled, placing Blair's hand on the organ and taking a step back. "Now, pee." After about a minute, the tinkling sound of urinating filled the room. "About time. I thought you said you had a handle on this going to the bathroom thing," Jim muttered, too quietly for the half-asleep younger man to hear. He helped Blair wash his hands, then guided him back out of the bathroom and toward the stairs to their bedroom.

"G'night, Sandy!" Megan called, looking up from the cleaning.

"Good night, Megan, guys," Jim answered for Blair who was totally out of the picture, slowly trudging up the stairs to bed.

When they got upstairs, Blair collapsed onto the mattress. Jim stripped him of everything but his boxer shorts and his over-sized tee, then pulled back the comforter and slipped him under the covers. He leaned down to place a loving kiss on his temple, then turned to go downstairs to see the gang off.