RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 

Chapter 11

Tony released the seat belt and un-tucked it from under his belly as Jethro spoke briefly with the FBI agents watching his home before he made his way around the car to Tony's side.   He smiled at him when he opened the door and put out his hands to help Tony get out.  Tony wondered why he didn't feel any offense at the over-solicitous behavior.  Not only was it out of character for Gibbs, it was out of character for him to accept it.  He normally didn't want anyone's help unless he could play with his coworkers and get some fun out of it.  But he couldn't do that with Gibbs.  This was too real and he couldn't find it in him to make light of it in any way.  Gibbs hand felt warm and strong on his lower back as Gibbs walked him to the door.  He was mildly surprised that Gibbs had to unlock it.  He never locked his door.  And then he remembered.  Jethro had started soon after Tony had begun to move his stuff in last year.

Gibbs noted the surprised look on Tony's face and smiled.

"All your stuff is still here, Tony.  Didn't want anyone to just walk in and take it." 

Jethro helped him into the house and settled him on the couch.

"Do you have the rest of your stuff somewhere I can get to it and bring it here?"

Tony looked at him with a slightly bemused expression.  It seems Jethro had made up his mind about how things were going to be.  He'd already said that he along with several FBI agents would be Tony's guard until Constantino was caught but his words now seemed to imply much longer ranged plans for Tony himself.  I take care of what's mine...  But who, specifically, had he been talking about?

"The important stuff is already here," Tony said as he settled further into the couch.

Gibbs gave a satisfied nod.  "I'm making coffee and lunch.  I'll bring your meds with it."  Gibbs pulled the afghan off the back of the couch and tucked it around Tony.  No one had been in the house since Tony had taken off and they'd been caught by Constantino so it had a slight chill to it.  He handed Tony the remote and then moved to the thermostat putting the temperature up a bit to combat the chilly late October weather.  It seemed like the house had been cold a long time.  It had been cold and rainy that day in April when Tony had left and Gibbs doubted he'd felt warm since then.

Tony smiled and pulled the afghan up higher on his shoulders and started flipping through channels.  The one still ached a bit but it was getting better.  My meds, Tony laughed to himself.  It was just pre-natal vitamins and iron as well as some nutritional supplements but as far as Gibbs was concerned it was his medication and he would make sure Tony took it as required.  He yawned and luxuriated in his ability to open his mouth wide.  While he'd been hospitalized they'd examined his jaw and decided that the wires could come off.  It had been over two months since Gianni had taken that seven iron to his face.  Tony smiled bitterly.  He'd joined Gibbs in the ‘attacked by spouse with a golf club' club but he knew for a fact that Gibbs hadn't been chained nor did he have anyone holding him down while he was beaten.  He pushed those thoughts away and yawned again for good measure just to enjoy the experience.  He still needed to eat soft foods but that he could deal with easily. 

Although he'd missed his pizza and Chinese food, the first thing he'd asked for had been a tooth brush.  He ran his tongue over the outside of his teeth and smirked.  He didn't think he'd ever get tired of doing that.  When they were together before Jethro used to say that Tony had a definite oral fixation, usually after waking up to find Tony attached to his cock like a limpet.  Tony flicked through another couple of channels but never saw what was on the screen.  Instead he was picturing Jethro's beautiful cock shiny wet from his saliva.  He remembered the bittersweet taste and he ached to taste him again but doubted he'd ever have the chance.  Jethro was with him until Gianni could be caught and maybe he'd still be with him until the baby was born.  Tony was sure Jethro would actually maintain a steady presence in the baby's life if he let him.  Jethro said that he takes care of what was his but Tony's own insecurities had twisted that to mean that Jethro was interested only in the welfare of the baby.  He couldn't possibly want Tony himself.  Not after what Gianni had done to him. 

Losing interest in the TV Tony lay back with his eyes closed.  It was only a few moments later that Jethro returned with a tray.

"Nothing good on TV?" Jethro asked as he set the tray down. 

Tony saw a bowl of chicken soup that looked pretty good, maybe even homemade.  There were also crackers and there was some tea.  Next to the tea was a glass of juice he knew contained the supplements he'd been given.  He smiled faintly but shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. 

"I could have moved to the table..."

"Nah, I can cut you some slack on your first day out of the hospital.  Tomorrow you pull your weight."

Tony looked down and then back at Jethro with a raised eyebrow.  "Not sure I can..."

Jethro snorted.  "You'd be surprised, DiNozzo," he said as he returned to the kitchen for his own lunch not fully aware of the frown he left behind him.

Tony watched him leave.  That had been the first time anyone had called him by that name since he'd left.  The sound of it sent a coil of rage rushing through him that left him feeling slightly ill.  He took a deep breath to calm himself and schooled his face.  He was going to have to deal with the issue later.  Just how he wasn't sure, but he swore to himself that he'd never answer to DiNozzo again.

Gibbs returned with his lunch and sat down with Tony to eat.  Tony was quiet and he attributed it at first to Tony's ability to eat real food but after a moment he realized that there was more to it.

"What?" he asked.

"Not sure I'm ready to face the others after all..."

"I can call...tell them later if you want.  It's up to you."

The rest of the team, and especially Abby, had asked to visit while Tony had been in the hospital but at the time he didn't want to see anyone.  He'd told them he'd see them when he was out of the hospital.    Gibbs had explained what had happened at Tony's request.  He thought back to that day.  To say they were shocked was putting it mildly but they reiterated that they still wanted to visit if Tony would let them.  He trusted his team and knew they cared about Tony.  He was sure they wouldn't think less of him for what had happened so the issue was more with Tony. 

"You've got no reason to be ashamed, Tony."

Tony barked out a laugh.

"Look at me, Gibbs!  I'm pregnant, for Gods' sake!  I used to be your Senior Field Agent, you told me that I wouldn't have been if I hadn't earned it.  But what kind of Senior Field Agent...no, what kind of man gets himself into a situation like this?"

"The kind of man who gives himself up to an unknown situation because he thought his partner was in danger.  What they did to you was not your fault so quit taking the blame."

"But I should have tried to get away sooner, maybe stop this..."

Gibbs eyes narrowed and Tony was pinned by their intensity.  He suddenly knew firsthand what it felt like to be on the other side of an interrogation table from Gibbs.

"You saying you ignored opportunities to escape?"

"No!  But maybe..."

"Damnit!  There's no maybe about it.  It may have taken awhile but when the opportunity came you took it and you got away."  Gibbs moved to sit next to Tony on the couch, his eyes never leaving Tony's for an instant.  "And in the process you helped take down DiNozzo's organization.  You got Cosntantino on the 10 Most Wanted List."

"Not me, Jethro.  I'm a civilian.  You were the one wearing the wire."

"Fact is, Tony, we did it together.  Like always."

Tony stopped and looked down.  Together...like always.  God, he wanted to believe that.  He took a deep breath.  "What was their reaction when you told them?"

"I think you should see that for yourself."

"Right, their reaction to the reality is much more telling..."

"Do you trust them with your six?"

"I..."

"Stop.  Don't think about it...do you trust them to watch your back?"

"Yes."

"Then trust them with this and with us.  Trust me."

And again Gibbs pinned him with those intense blue eyes that made his heart flip.  Tony knew that he had to let go of his own insecurities.  He had to trust Jethro, which wasn' t hard.  He'd always trusted him.  But this was a lot.  Trust the team not to turn their backs on him, or as Gibbs was saying, on them.  But in the end he did trust Jethro.

"Okay," he whispered and was rewarded by the smile that had always melted his heart.  Then he felt Gibbs' hand slip through his hair to clasp his nape warmly and he felt those lips he'd missed brush lightly across his own.  "Gibbs?"

"Jethro.  Told you that." 

Gibbs had learned early on in his relationship with Tony that sometimes he needed to reaffirm what Tony meant to him and after everything he'd been through Gibbs figured he'd need to be doing that a lot.  It was so hard for Tony to believe that anyone could care for him, that no matter what, Gibbs' feelings weren't going to suddenly change.  Gibbs would just have to make him believe.

"Yeah."

"Also told you that I protect what's mine."

Tony looked down with suddenly tear-filled eyes and stroked his belly.  "The baby, right?"

Gibbs wanted to kill the bastards that had so damaged Tony's psyche.  He looked down and placed his hand over Tony's.  "Meant you.  The baby's a bonus."

Tony closed his eyes tightly and felt the tears run freely down his cheeks. 

"Both of us?  A bonus, not...freaks?"

"God, no, Tony!  You're beautiful.  This," Jethro held Tony's hand and together they stroked Tony's belly.  "This is beautiful."

Tony looked into the intense blue eyes, heard the declaration that was as effective as any head slap, and he did believe.  He nodded, his throat too tight to speak as he lifted Jethro's hand and placed it over his heart.

"Yours," he croaked and then replaced Jethro's hand on his belly.  "Yours," he said again and he saw Jethro's wet eyes.  Gibbs never cried...

Gibbs, his own throat tight, brought his arms around Tony and pulled him close.

"Mine," he confirmed as his own tears dripped into Tony's hair.

 

Chapter 12

Later Tony sat quietly but started when he heard a car door slam.  They were here.  He took a deep breath.  Yes, he trusted Jethro but he was still so damned nervous.  God, he should have told Jethro to bring them in one at a time...  No, prolonging it like that would have killed him.  Trust Jethro, trust Jethro...  Should he stand up?  No, too obvious.  He panicked for a moment and considered grabbing the afghan to throw over his lap but then he'd look like an old man and he envisioned one of the old hearing horn things you always see in the cartoons and he mentally slapped his own head.  The team's got your six, the team's got your six...  He kept up the litany while subconsciously registering the approaching footsteps.  He was startled by the warm hand on his shoulder and a whisper of warm breath near his ear.

"It'll be fine, sweetheart," which was followed by a kiss to his temple.

And just like that Tony felt his apprehension begin to melt away.  A split second later he heard Abby calling his name over and over and he was engulfed in her embrace and God it felt good.  He felt tears stinging his eyes but he quickly blinked them away and turned to see McGoofy with the appropriate grin on his face and a shy but smiling Ziva behind him.  Ducky brought up the rear.  In case I need another sedative, he told himself.

"Tony!" Abby yanked his attention back with a wallop on his good left arm.  Gibbs must have told her about his right and then she was in his arms giving him the hug of his life. 

"Tony I missed you!  Gibbs told us why you left but you should have known that we love you and miss you and it doesn't matter what anyone did to you ‘cos you're still you and you're having a baby and oooh!   Can I feel your tummy?  Do you feel the baby moving?  You're going to be a great Dad, you know!  You should have at least called...!" she wailed but was finally silenced when Tony cupped her face with one hand and took her other and placed it on his belly and said "shhh".

And she did.  Then her eyes widened and her mouth opened into a silent ooooh as she felt a little flutter kick against her palm.  Her eyes filled with tears and she looked at Tony and saw the amusement and apprehension in equal measures in his hazel green eyes and she blinked them away.

"Is it really okay, Tony?  Gibbs said you're keeping the baby but is it really okay?" 

Abby's eyes searched his and Tony saw all the love and fear and hope bound together in her eyes and he smiled.

"It's really okay, Abs, really more than okay.  It wasn't at first, but it is now...with Gibbs..."

And she smiled back at him as she again brought her arms around him and hugged him.

"And I get to be an Aunty!  Aunty Abs!  Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?  A boy that looks like you would be so cool or better yet, a girl with your eyes.  I'm not even gonna talk about that sperm donor, not that I don't know what he looks like ‘cos I do but there's no way if there's anything fair in this world that the baby will look anything like him..."

A hand suddenly wrapped around Abby's head to clamp over her mouth.

"Enough," Gibbs said gently and Abby froze and really looked at Tony and suddenly saw the slightly pale cast to his skin.  Her eyes filled again and she pulled away from Gibbs to curl up into Tony's arms.

"I'm so sorry, Tony, my mouth got loose again..." she said in a pained whisper.

"Abby, little sis, its okay.  It's a lot to take in but everything is going to be fine."  Tony smiled, his composure returning as he slipped back into his role as big brother to Abby.  He really had missed her.

Ziva took that moment to slip in on Tony's other side.

"I am happy to see you are looking well, Tony," Ziva said as Abby moved over to hug Gibbs.  "I am sorry I was not allowed to accompany Agent Fornell to retrieve you.  I would have enjoyed killing your father."

Tony chuckled seeing the honesty in her eyes after her straightforward statement.  "I wish you could have.  It seems he always finds some way to land on his feet.  His lawyers are no doubt working to get him released even now," he finished bitterly. 

"I do not think so, Tony.  Agent Fornell seemed far too happy when he was last at NCIS." 

Ziva fell silent and Tony could see her fascination as well as her wariness.  He wondered how her Moussad training had addressed this issue because, generally speaking, she would have been much more likely to have found herself in this position than he would have.  When things settled down a bit he just might have to ask her.

"Your condition is fascinating.  I would be interested in discussing it sometime," she said as she sat primly next to him on the couch.  "I know of many men for whom this would be a viable torture technique," Ziva said matter-of-factly.  She heard the shocked repetitions of her name but continued on.  "But not for you, obviously.  You are made of much stronger things, yes?"

And Tony laughed at Ziva's awkward compliment.  "Stuff, Ziva, stronger stuff.  And thank you.  I guess I am more like the willow than the oak, grasshopper."

"I do not understand the reference to an insect."

"Well later on while you're visiting your niece or nephew we'll have a long talk about Kwai Chang Caine and you can critique his technique..."

"Who?"

"A television character, Ziva," Tim broke in with a grin. 

"I am so far behind on learning about Tony's movie references.  I will never understand the television ones as well," she commented with complete exasperation causing both men to laugh.

"Would anyone care for something to drink?"  Ducky called out from the kitchen.

"Yes, I would," Ziva called.  "I will help."  And she got up leaving McGee and Tony in a slightly awkward silence.

Tim glanced over at Abby to see her talking quietly with Gibbs. 

"Have a seat, McNervous.  The doctor said it wasn't contagious."

Tim rolled his eyes and sat down next to Tony.  He wasn't quite sure what to say and his mind kept jumping back to that time during the Loren case when they'd had several discussions about male pregnancy and marriage.

Tony had been his usual joking self saying that he'd only ever have Probie's baby but only if McGee made an honest man of him.  Tim had bitten his tongue to avoid asking about Gibbs.  He kind of knew that Tony and Gibbs had something special going on but unless they came out and said something, he wasn't going to be the first to broach the subject.  But he did care about Tony, their friendship growing despite the sometimes nerve-wracking relationship they had at the office.  To find out that something like this had happened to him against his will almost made him sick.  That Tony was dealing with it in what appeared to be a really positive manner impressed the hell out of him.  He wasn't sure he'd be able to deal with anything even remotely this extreme without losing it completely.  But then, Tony had always had a hidden well of strength that seemed to get him intact out of situations that made Tim doubt his own ability to ever be a good field agent.

"You're incredible, Tony," Tim said not realizing at first that he'd spoken aloud.

"What?"  Tony asked.  It wasn't what he was expecting Tim to say and it took him completely by surprise.

Tim turned and really looked at Tony.  "I said you're incredible, Tony," he repeated with conviction.  "You constantly amaze me with your ability to deal with whatever life throws at you.  I really admire you, Tony.  And you look really good..." 

Tim would never have thought that a pregnant man would look anything but odd, but Tony carried it well.  Heck, Tim thought to himself almost enviously, when doesn't Tony look good?

Tony, blushing and uncomfortable with the praise McGee was heaping on him, resorted to his usual coping methods and turned it back around.

"Are you coming on to me, Probie?"

"He better not be..." growled Gibbs from the corner and Abby giggled.

McGee sent Gibbs a frightened look and shook his head wordlessly.  "Ah, ah..." he stumbled.  Oh, he was in such deep shit...

"...because my guy is off limits."  And with that one statement Gibbs outed them to the entire team. 

"Your guy, Gibbs?"  Tony questioned, surprised at Gibbs' sudden declaration and secretly grateful he hadn't said ‘my boy' the way he used to.  That would have been giving away a bit too much information.  Peripherally he saw Abby bouncing up and down clapping her hands. 

"Yup, gotta problem with that?"  Gibbs asked as his eyes drilled into Tony.

"Nope, never did, never will." And Tony gave him a brilliant smile that encompassed everyone in the room.

"Well, it's about time," Ducky said from near the kitchen and both Tony and Gibbs turned to see Ducky and Ziva entering the room sporting equally large smiles.  It seemed they had the support of the entire team, no not team...family.  A real family.  Tony felt tears threatening and he quickly blinked them back.

"Hey, McUncle, give me your hand," Tony said as he grabbed Tim's hand to place on his belly.

"Nononono, th-that's okay, I-I'll pass..."  Tim stammered as he sent panicked looks in Gibbs' direction.

But Tony wouldn't let go and forced Tim to feel the movement.  He was rewarded by Tim's already wide eyes getting even wider along with his mouth.  Tony couldn't help it.  He laughed long and hard bringing everyone along with him and he knew that everything really was alright.

They ended up ordering pizza although Gibbs limited Tony to only one slice of his favorite sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese and then he insisted that Tony eat at least two slices of veggie pizza.  Tony pouted and Gibbs leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek guaranteeing his acquiescence.  If either of them noticed the sudden silence after that they gave no indication of it although Gibbs did look around only to note the bright smiles of everyone else in the room.

"What?" he asked receiving only laughter in return.

Abby was fidgeting which wasn't unusual for her but then a decision seemed to be made and she sat up and looked at Tony.  "You can come back now, can't you?  Director Shepherd has to know that you didn't resign on your own.  You were forced!"

Tony looked down.  Could he come back?  God knows he needed the job.  Would Jenny let him work for Gibbs again?  He turned to look at Gibbs.

Gibbs saw the flash of hope in Tony's eyes.  Maybe he could talk to Jenny.

"You'd have to be cleared of this mess with DiNozzo and Constantino and then there'll be psych evals you'll have to pass.  No way you'd be cleared for field duty until you pass a physical but if this is what you want, I can talk to Jenny."

Tony nodded.  It would be awhile but if there was a chance he could get back in he'd make damn sure he passed all of the tests.  With a smile he looked at Gibbs and nodded.

"Yeah, Boss.  This is what I want."

"Alright."  Gibbs nodded and smiled.

----------------------------

"He resigned under duress!"  Gibbs spat out.

"That has yet to be proven and until it is I can't reinstate him."  Jenny said standing behind her desk with her arms crossed.

"Can't or won't?"

"Are you implying that I have a personal reason for not bringing him back in?"

"I'm not implying anything...I'm saying it!  You're pissed at me because I didn't tell you what was happening." 

Jenny uncrossed her arms and leaned forward on her desk, her eyes hard and her lips thinned in anger.

"I am the director of this agency, Jethro.  Of course I'm angry about being left out of the loop despite what Fornell said."

Gibbs blew out an exasperated breath.  Looks like he needed to massage that situation a little bit more.

"Okay, I was wrong to not make the time to call you.  But Tony didn't have anything to do with it.  Don't take the fact that you're pissed at me out on DiNozzo."

"Don't you mean Constantino?"

"That's going to change.  You know that."

"Which brings me back to my original point.  I can't hire him back until he's been cleared of any charges." 

"So you're saying he can't come back until after the trial?"

Jenny considered screaming yes but she knew that wouldn't get her anywhere. 

"No, once the FBI has cleared him I will reinstate him with some conditions."

Gibbs hackles rose but he remained silent.  Jenny pictured a snake just before it strikes.

"He can come back on someone else's team."

"What!  Why?"

"Do you need me to spell it out, Jethro?  Your actions throughout this situation have screamed of your personal involvement with Tony beyond that of a team leader and supervisor.  And now he's pregnant and living in your home."

"He's under Federal protection and he just got out of the hospital.  Should I have dumped him off at some hotel alone?"

"He's under FBI protection but if he needed assistance there was always McGee and any number of other agents who might have volunteered.  We both know how popular Tony is."

Gibbs eyes narrowed as he gauged just what her real meaning was.

"So that's the real reason, isn't it?  Hell, Jenny, you're pissed that Tony is such an important part of my life and you aren't."

Jenny's eyes flashed but she wasn't going to rise to the bait. 

"Get over yourself, Jethro.  What happened in France was a long time ago.  It's forgotten and I've moved on...just as you obviously have.  Forming a public relationship with Tony isn't against regulations but forming one with your subordinate is.  So if Tony comes back, he will not be working on your team." 

Gibbs nodded.  It hadn't been unexpected and Tony would be disappointed but at least he'd be at work where Gibbs could keep an eye on him.  And hell, it wasn't as though Tony would be going out in the field any time soon...not with the baby.

"What else is involved in your ‘if'?"

"First, he'll need a full psychological evaluation.  He's been through a great deal of trauma.  I'm sure you won't argue that point.  Assuming he passes that he can come back as long as he's physically fit enough to pull desk duty.  After the baby is born he'll need to pass the physical and re-qualify on the range."

"Fine."

"Fine.  So when do you plan on returning to work?"  Jenny knew she couldn't deny him taking more leave even if she desperately wanted to.  The fact was that she'd have to justify her denial in writing and there simply weren't any cases ongoing at this time.

"When Tony passes his psych eval."  Gibbs stated just before turning and leaving the office.

Once he left Jenny sat back down behind her desk and contemplated her next action.  Regardless of whether or not Tony passed the eval he was back in Jethro's life, only now instead of Jethro just shacking up with Tony there'd be a child.  There was no way Jethro would walk away from his second chance at having a family.  So, the question was: what would make Tony walk away from Jethro?

 

Chapter 13  Here there be sex.

Jethro approached his home and noted the presence of the FBI personnel and nodded to himself.  He hadn't wanted to leave Tony at home alone but he needed to talk to Jenny and he didn't want to do it over the phone.

He spoke briefly with the agent at the door and was told Tony was lying down upstairs.  He jogged up but slowed down as he approached the master bedroom.  He really didn't care that the agents knew Tony was staying in his room but he'd had to convince Tony of that fact.  Quietly he approached and noted with approval that Tony seemed to be asleep.  He stayed watching for a moment but then saw that Tony seemed to be waking.  Gibbs was standing by the bed and looking down when Tony finally opened his eyes.

"Didn't mean to wake you.  Sleep alright?"

Tony smiled up at Jethro.

"You didn't and yes, I slept good."  He rolled over onto his back and then patted the bed beside him.  "How'd it go at the office?"

Jethro eased himself onto the bed and Tony immediately curled into his side.  Gibbs took a deep breath of the soft hair letting Tony's scent engulf and soothe him.  It seemed he was always agitated whenever he spoke with Jenny nowadays.  It didn't used to be that way and he hoped it would ease soon.  He didn't need the hassle.

"Looks like you can't get out of the psych evals.  But once you're done you can go on desk duty until after the baby's born.  Field duty once you pass the physical and re-qualify."

Tony gave him a brief hug.  "Thanks.  Otherwise I'll go crazy being here alone when you go back to work..."  Tony paused as he sensed something more.  "What else did she say?  It was something you didn't like..."

Gibbs snorted and tightened his arm around Tony's shoulder in a quick squeeze.

"The fraternization policy."

"Shit.  Does that mean I'm kicked off your team?"  A hole seemed to open up under Tony.  Not work with Gibbs?  He could do it...had done it, but he sure as hell didn't want to.

"Not kicked off, Tony.  Don't think that way," Gibbs said as he stroked a finger down Tony's cheek and then he sighed.  "Cold cases until after the baby and then on another team.  Maybe even your own team. That'll be my recommendation."

"Jethro..." Tony began but couldn't get passed the lump in his throat.  Somehow, despite how Gibbs said he felt about him personally, he'd had the idea that he'd lost his respect as an agent.  Guess not.  But still...

"Damnit!  Maybe we shouldn't have told anyone...kept it quiet..."

"No.  It was right to tell the team, Tony, and I know they haven't said anything.  I'm not sure how she found out so soon but it doesn't matter.  I'm not hiding you or what we have.  Not bringing a kid into the world who'll think I'm ashamed of him."

Gibbs again stroked Tony's cheek and then brought his hand up to bury it in Tony's hair.  He felt Tony tremble slightly against him and he knew he needed a moment.  He stroked the silky strands for a bit and then cupped Tony's cheek bringing his face up.  Gibbs gently placed his lips over Tony's in a gentle kiss.

"Okay?"

Tony smiled and nodded.  "Okay," before he claimed Gibbs' mouth this time. 

It didn't take long for the kisses to become heated, for tongues to dance and taste and for hands to roam, stroking and pressing.  Tony moaned into Gibbs' mouth as he pushed his hard cock into the firm hand at his groin.  God, he wanted Jethro, needed to have him and all they'd done up till now was kiss.  But had been so long since Jethro had claimed him, been so long since he'd wanted any intimacy with anyone at all.

He wasn't surprised when Jethro pulled back to ask if he was sure.  He smiled and continued kissing and licking his way across Gibbs' jaw.

"Yes.  I'm sure.  I want you...please."  He whispered into Gibbs' ear and then sucked Gibbs' earlobe into his mouth. 

Gibbs groaned and then pushed Tony back onto the bed.  In a heartbeat he had his clothes off and then he was back, kissing and stroking as he pulled Tony's clothes away.  He paused for a moment once he had Tony naked in front of him.  Tony blushed at the intense scrutiny and almost brought his hands up over his stomach, his chest.

"Easy, baby...no, Tony.  You are so beautiful."

Gibbs kept whispering soft endearments as he kissed Tony's chest, first sucking one nipple into his mouth and then the other.  Tony had always had sensitive nipples but with the pregnancy they were more so.  He licked and sucked as gently as possible, nipping lightly when Tony gave him a moaned yess!

Tony arched into him and wondered at this new Gibbs.  They'd been lovers before and it had been fantastic.  Sure they kissed and touched, but most of the time it had been intense, driven always by passion but sometimes by anger and hurt when the job became too much.  It had also been lusty and joyful.  Yes, he'd definitely say they made love to one another but this was different, almost worshipful and tender in a way he was unaccustomed to and Tony wasn't sure how he felt about that.  Was it just because he was pregnant?  Was he now feminine in Gibbs' eyes?  Or was it a kink for Gibbs?  He looked into the deep blue eyes and saw love, a healthy dose of lust and maybe just a little bit of worry.  Tony knew then that Gibbs was afraid to hurt him, maybe afraid that he'd remind Tony of Gianni which, as far as Tony was concerned, simply couldn't happen.

"You won't hurt me, Jethro.  But I need to feel you love me...please."

Gibbs nodded and then reached into the nightstand.  This was Tony and despite being pregnant, he was still a man with a man's need which showed in his straining muscles and the hard cock that was painting the underside of his belly with pre-come.  In a few moments he had his fingers coated and was busy stretching Tony.  God, how he'd missed the tight heat of Tony's ass.  He added another finger as he stroked and pulled at Tony's cock. 

"Gonna fill you up, boy...been missing you so long."

"God, Jethro, yes."  Tony moaned as he arched into the hand stroking him and then pushed into the hand impaling him.   "Come on, I need you..."

"Shh, my sweet boy...easy..." 

Gibbs rolled on the condom and positioned himself.  Tony lifted his legs and wrapped them around Gibbs glad that he could still do that comfortably.  Later Jethro would have to fuck him from behind and the mental picture made him groan again.  He loved it when Jethro covered him.

Gibbs pushed his way in savoring each millimeter of heat as it closed around his cock and he heard those soft little moans Tony made as he stretched around Gibbs.  In a moment he was fully sheathed and he stilled, watching Tony's face and relishing every little twitch as he adjusted to the hard length inside of him.  Beautiful...so beautiful...

Tony sighed and nodded giving Jethro a little squeeze to prompt his movement.

"God, no, baby...won't last if you do that again..."

"Come on, then and fuck me..."

"Yeah," Jethro groaned as he began pumping in and out slowly at first but then faster at Tony's insistence.  He wanted to lean down to kiss Tony so bad but couldn't because the baby bump got in the way and he smiled.  Our baby...

Soon, too soon, he felt it building and his balls drew impossibly tight.  He grabbed Tony's cock and pumped it harder, rubbing the head just the way he knew Tony liked it and felt that squeeze again.  It was too much and it all came rushing forward at once and the world exploded.

A few moments later Gibbs became aware of leaning over on one arm, his other wrapped around Tony's thigh.  Tony's legs had dropped and his feet rested on the bed on either side of Gibbs.  He looked at Tony who seemed to be unconscious.

"Baby?" He asked in an uncharacteristic moment of panic but then relaxed when Tony smiled.  He eased himself over to lie next to Tony and grabbed his undershirt to wipe them both down and then he pulled Tony into his arms.

"So...pregnant bellies a thing for you, Jethro?" Tony asked, his eyes opening to green slits.

"Only when I'm in love with the person who has one," Gibbs answered and then froze when Tony's eyes popped completely open.

"You love me?" he squeaked and Gibbs suffered a second bout of fear but he forced it down.  He'd set the course and now he had to see it through.

"Yeah...should've said it before now.  Tony, I've loved you for a long time."

"Since I've been back..."

"No, Tony.  Since before you left.  You worked your way under my skin years ago but I was too damned stubborn to admit it to myself.  It wasn't until you came back and I knew that nothing had changed for me.  I realized I'd never said the words...so I'm saying them."

Tony leaned back and pulled one hand up to touch Gibbs' cheek.  "And I'm saying them, too.  I love you, Jethro."

And Gibbs gave him one of those brilliant smiles that made his heart skip a beat just before he kissed him and then he settled in to snuggle which was one of Tony's favorite things to do.  Tony sighed, happy and full of hope for the first time since that day he'd left.  It couldn't get any better.

After cuddling for awhile Tony realized he was hungry.  His gurgling stomach confirmed it but he didn't necessarily want to go downstairs.  He wasn't a coward, but the agents watching him gave him the creeps.  It seemed that they were constantly staring at him.  He'd had too much of being looked at with disapproval in his life to not know when it was happening and he really didn't need the aggravation. 

Gibbs heard Tony's stomach and had gotten up to get a wet towel for them both.  He got dressed but noted Tony's hesitation and wondered at the cause.

"Everything alright?" he asked.

Tony looked over at him and smiled.  He had Gibbs with him.  Who cares what anyone else thought about him?  So he nodded and slipped on his shoes and they went downstairs.

 

Chapter 14

Tony fidgeted slightly as his therapist reviewed some notes.  He'd been coming to the sessions three times a week to begin with and had recently dropped his visits to two.

"I think you've done remarkably well so far, Tony."

"So is there a chance you'll clear me sometime soon?"  Tony asked Dr. Garcia.  It still tickled Tony that the new NCIS psychiatrist was named Gerry Garcia and Tony refused to allow for the slight difference in spelling.  He'd even called him Cherry on a couple of occasions.

"There are still a few issues that I think we need to discuss before we can talk about clearing you.  I'm not quite sure that you are prepared for the various reactions your pregnancy will have on your co-workers."

"We've already told my co-workers...they're all fine with it."

"I was thinking more of your co-workers at large...the other agents and personnel at NCIS."

Tony was quiet for a moment.  He hadn't really thought about how his pregnancy would go over with the rest of NCIS.  Even if they didn't approve it wouldn't make that much difference, would it?  He could deal with the looks like the FBI agents had given him.  After all, he had Jethro and the rest of his family beside him.  He was sure he could handle it. 

Gerry watched him consider his words.  Tony had self-image issues which he compensated for by taking extra care with his wardrobe and ensuring he remained at the top of his game in his profession.  Gerry knew that Tony would often go into work at night and he suspected it was due both to the nightmares he'd always suffered from as well as to appear ahead of his teammates at work.  There was nothing wrong with any of that, but it did make Gerry think that Tony will have more problems that he suspects with negative reactions to his pregnancy.

"I don't think it will be that bad, Gerry.  I know that most people don't have any experience with people like me but they're going to have to get used to it, right?  More and more men are choosing to do this...there's even more clinics opening up.  I'm sure it'll be fine," he finished on a bright note.

Gerry nodded.  "Okay, but you have to promise me that if things start to get tough you'll call, right?"

"Right.  So what's the other issue?"

"The second one is one that still has you very conflicted."

"Yeah, my name." Tony responded glumly.  He hadn't come to any consensus knowing only that there was no way he'd go back to DiNozzo.  Michael Sr. wasn't his father.  Michael Jr. was dead.  He had very few fond memories of his mother so he really didn't want Paddington although his Uncle Clive hadn't been too bad...he did have some good memories of that one summer in England.  But it all seemed so alien and none of the names were ones he was interested in passing on to his child.

"I haven't made any decisions, yet."

"Why not go with something completely different?  You can change any part or even your entire name.  Are you letting this decision delay your request for an annulment?"

Tony sat back and shook his head.  "No way...that paperwork has already been filed.  I'm just waiting on a decision.  With Gianni's history and the details of what happened to me, my lawyer said that the only way the annulment would be denied would be if the judge wanted the world to know he was in the mob's pocket." 

Tony looked out of the window and sighed.  "My name will automatically revert to DiNozzo as much as that sickens me, but by then maybe I'll have figured something out."

Later Tony waited by the guard's desk along with his two escorts for someone to escort them upstairs to the bullpen.  The guard today was one Tony didn't know but he seemed like an okay guy.  He'd even asked some shy questions about how Tony was doing.  Tony went easy on him.  Not everyone who saw him reacted positively.  Case in point, when McGee escorted him upstairs because Gibbs was in MTAC they met up with a couple of agents upon exiting the elevator.

"Woah, DiNozzo, is that you behind that thing?"  Perkins asked with a laugh. 

"Yeah, it's me.  Get used to it, Perkins.  I'll be coming back to work soon and you'll have to come up with better one-liners than that."  He'd always hated Perkins.  The guy was a decent agent but he was a jerk.

"You mean they're actually going to let you come back looking like that?"  Perkins rolled his eyes and looked at his partner who had the grace to blush and look away obviously embarrassed by Perkins behavior.

"That's enough, Perkins.  Go on back to whatever it was you were doing."  McGee broke in surprising Tony a bit with his assertion.

"Thanks, Probie, but not to worry.  I think I saw his name on the roster at the clinic so Perkins is probably concerned about his own job when he goes and has the procedure done."  Tony addressed the last part of his comment to two ladies out of records who happened to be walking by.  They giggled.  Perkins was not well-liked.

"That's a damn lie, DiNozzo!"  Perkins hissed while McGee laughed outright and Perkins' partner snorted (what was his name...Joliss?).  The two agents escorting Tony moved forward to move Perkins along but Tony waved them back.

"Whatever, Perkins, but if you decide to go ahead with it I can tell you where to shop for maternity clothes.  Yeah, they're a little high end, but trust me, you'll want to look your best..."  Tony called out louder to Perkins' retreating back.

McGee was still laughing as he gave Tony a high-five.  They turned to see Gibbs and they sobered at once.

"Boss, I was just bringing..."

"...was wondering if you could do lunch..."

Gibbs snorted as both men tried to talk over one another.  He just waved them over and they all walked back into the bullpen.  He grabbed his coat deciding that he'd have to keep an eye on Perkins from now on.

"Going to lunch.  You coming with us, McGee? Ziva?"

"Thank you, Gibbs, but Abby and I are having lunch in a short while."  Ziva explained.

McGee was still stammering slightly not yet over the encounter in the hallway or Gibbs' sudden appearance, although by now you'd think he'd be used to it.  What he wasn't yet used to was how nice Gibbs was being now that Tony was back.  The lunch invitation was just an example of that.

"Th-thanks, Boss, yeah...I'll come with you."

"Great, McKnight in Shining Armor.  Did you hear him, Gibbs?  I had to hold him back from slashing Perkins to bits!"  Tony wiped an imaginary tear from his eye.  "My little Probie's all grown up..."

McGee rolled his eyes as he grabbed his coat and followed Gibbs and Tony over to the elevator.  But the truth was, he would defend Tony and his right to have a baby to anyone who said otherwise.  That's what families did.

 

Chapter 15

Gibbs put the last dish away while Tony finished wiping down the sink.  They'd parted after lunch and Tony had come home to rest for awhile before Gibbs got off work.  He'd had dinner ready when Gibbs walked in the door.

Since McGee and the FBI watchdogs had been with them at lunch Gibbs hadn't been able to ask Tony how his session had gone but now that they were done for the day and were alone inside of the house they would have some time to talk.

They settled in their usual places on the couch with Tony's head resting in Gibbs' lap while they decided what to watch on TV.

"Not working on the boat tonight, Jethro?"

"Nope.  Wanna know how your session went."  Gibbs never asked for details.  He just wanted to know how Tony felt after each session.

Tony smiled.  Gibbs still hovered like a mother hen but Tony didn't mind.  He really rather liked it.  There hadn't been too many people in his life that actually cared enough to want to take care of him.

"It was good.  I think Gerry's close to clearing me.  "

"Close?"

"Yeah, there are still a couple of issues but I think...no, I know it'll be soon.  And I forgot to tell you, Steve called...looks like the annulment will be final on the 30th."

"That's great, honey."  Gibbs said as he stroked Tony's hair and then he leaned over to kiss Tony's forehead.  Gibbs had been waiting for the moment when Tony's ties to Constantino would be severed.  He'd made a couple of plans but, if he was honest with himself, he was a bit nervous.  Maybe Tony wouldn't be ready?

He listened with half an ear to the radio on the end table while he thought about it.  The guards had just completed a perimeter check and he looked at his watch.  Right on time.  Constantino was still at large and until he could be found Tony remained under protection.  He let that thought slide into his subconscious as he contemplated his plans.  He still had a bit of time until the 30th.  He just needed to talk to Ducky and Abby.

"Fornell called today."  Gibbs said and he felt Tony stiffen.

"Yeah?" 

"DiNozzo's trial is going to start."

"Will I have to testify?"

"Tobias said he'd try to keep you out of it but he wasn't positive he'd be able to.  They have enough on DiNozzo to put him away for a long time but with what he did to you they could get him for the rest of his life.  As it is, they've seized all of his assets as well as some incriminating documentation on a couple of other mob members."

Tony had his eyes closed but he remained very still.  Gibbs just kept up a light scalp massage until Tony was ready to talk.

"I'll testify or whatever else they want."

"You sure, sweetheart?"

"Yeah.  No way is he getting away with what's he's done to me.  I'll leave whatever else he's guilty of up to Fornell."

"Alright.  I'll be with you all the way, you know that."

Tony gave a little satisfied sigh.  "Yeah.  I know that."

-----------------------

The 30th had come and gone.  Tony was no longer a Constantino, but he was still Tony DiNozzo despite what he'd sworn to himself.  He'd given a long monologue on the various names he was considering since his own ex-family names were so unacceptable.

Gibbs examined the area he was sanding and reiterated his opinion one more time.

"I don't want to be calling you ‘Stringfellow' in bed, Tony."

"You never use my name in bed anyway, Jethro.  You always call me ‘my boy' or ‘baby' or ‘sweetheart' or...."

"Okay, enough.  You saying you don't like what I call you?"

"No, that's NOT what I'm saying.  All I'm saying is that maybe I don't want to be Anthony anymore.  Maybe I'll just shorten my name legally to Tony..."

Now Gibbs was a bit more confused.  He'd lost track of the many name combinations Tony had been considering but had called a halt at that last one.

"So where in the hell did ‘Stringfellow' come from?"

Tony gave an exasperated sigh but then smiled.  He really couldn't blame Jethro.  He'd been pacing and ranting for awhile and he knew he hadn't been making sense the entire time, just voicing thoughts as they popped into his head.

"It's a name from a character in a TV show.  It was also my alias during the Voss case," and then he visibly shuddered.  "Okay, forget about that one."

Gibbs watched in amusement as Tony plopped himself carefully into his chair.  Maybe it was time.  He'd considered doing it more romantically after a nice dinner but somehow now felt right.

"I've got something for you." 

"Really?"

He nearly laughed at the undisguised glee on that beautiful face.  There were times when Tony was just like a little kid and he imagined a second smaller version with the same expression.  He couldn't wait.

Gibbs turned and reached behind a stack of wood to pull out a gift-wrapped package.  With a deep breath he handed it to Tony who was practically bouncing.

"Wow, what is it?"  He asked as he began tearing off the paper.

"Something I hope you'll consider...but if not, I've got more wood to make whatever you want..."

Tony paused for a moment and then opened the box more slowly.  What it revealed was an exquisitely hand-crafted wooden nameplate, the type you place on your desk.  It said:

"Anthony D. Gibbs" and had the NCIS emblem made of inlaid wood. 

Tony was speechless.  Not only was the nameplate beautiful (he hadn't even known Jethro knew how to inlay wood), but the intent was obvious.  Gibbs was asking him to marry him.  He looked up and saw Gibbs staring at him with that intense blue gaze.  Then Gibbs stepped forward and dropped to one knee.

"I hope you don't mind if I do this...only ever proposed to Shannon on one knee..."

"Jethro," Tony breathed.  Here was the answer.  One he never had the nerve to voice even to himself.

"Look, if you need to think about it, that's..."  Gibbs was stopped by Tony's hand on his mouth.

"The answer is yes, Jethro.  Yes, I'll marry you."

And Gibbs smiled and grabbed Tony's head in a fierce kiss. 

"I love you, Tony...or whatever you decide to name yourself." 

And Tony laughed.

"I love you, too, Jethro.   And yeah, it'll be Anthony Dante Gibbs."  Tony liked the way the name sounded on his lips.

"Good, now give me a quick hand up.  There's a reason I never proposed to any of the others on my knees, hell, wife #2 proposed to me."

And Tony laughed again.  "Come on, Jethro...you know I'm worth it..." he said as he stood and gave a hand to his future husband.

And this time Gibbs laughed.  It made him feel good to hear Tony joke about himself.

"Damn right you are, worth every bit."  Then Jethro gathered his future into his arms and laid claim to what would be his forever.

--------------------------------------

Tony smiled at the world as he walked out of Gerry's office.  He'd finally been cleared to return to duty.  He couldn't wait to tell Jethro.  At seven months he felt good and it showed.  He'd had his hair cut although it was a bit longer than normal, more like when he'd first started at NCIS several years before.  He ran his hand over the back of his head remembering the ‘ooohs' and ‘aaaahs' of his stylist when she'd shown up at Gibbs' house and saw him.  It had been alright and he found himself answering all her questions while she cut and he was glad the agents had talked him out of going to the salon.  That might have been too much with all of the stylists bearing down on him at once.  He'd been surprised at the longer style but she said it suited his face better.  It had given him a momentary pang of doubt thinking that she'd gone for a more feminine look but it was dispelled as soon as he saw the gleam in Jethro's eyes which was followed by a calloused hand running through his hair.

"Looks good," was Gibbs' only comment but Tony was more than appeased.

Tony also wore one of his new maternity suits which, he had to say, looked pretty slick despite his initial shock.  All that time with Gianni and at Gibbs' home he hadn't really looked at himself except to look down.  At the shop they'd taken him into the back room for measurements and he'd had his first look at himself in a full-length mirror.  He wasn't quite sure how to react to it at first and he felt himself blush furiously, so much so that the tailor had asked if he was alright.  He'd assured the man he was but found himself having to fight back tears until he became used to his appearance.

He walked down the breezeway in between buildings on his way to the bullpen knowing his shadows could easily keep up.  This was a good day despite the fact that his sessions with Gerry weren't over but they involved his other issues and had no bearing on his fitness for duty.

"Come on, guys, the coffee's on me..."

"You know you can't have coffee, Tony."   Tyler said. 

Tony rolled his eyes at one of his favorite watchdogs.  "I know, I know...its tea for me but I'm still buying."

"Good news?"

"Yup, been cleared for duty.  You are looking at soon-to-be Anthony Gibbs, NCIS Special Agent."

Tyler looked at Paul and smiled.  They both liked Tony, unlike some of their co-workers who held his pregnancy against him.  But they, at least, were happy for him.

"Gibbs, huh?  So you've set a date?"

"Yeah, about two weeks from now.  You guys will have to make sure you're on duty, but you're still invited even if you're not."

"I'll be there," Tyler confirmed and Paul echoed the statement.

Tony was beaming as he entered the bullpen and his attitude was contagious to everyone around him except one set of eyes that watched from the top of the landing.  Almost immediately the slight headache she'd had all morning blossomed into full blown migraine.  Her eyes narrowed fractionally.  The headaches were coming more often and with greater severity.  She'd already seen a doctor and now had confirmation from Ducky.  But amazingly, that issue wasn't foremost in her mind.  She was thinking about the Fitness for Duty report on DiNozzo.  As a highly intelligent woman she understood much more than what Dr. Garcia had actually put in the report and she knew how to use it to her advantage.  Without further expression, Director Jenny Shepherd returned to her office, her mind working furiously on the steps needed to put her plan in motion.