RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 

Chapter 6

Tony gasped and limped his way around to the far side of the garbage dumpster and huddled down.  He'd been kicking himself ever since leaving Gibbs' house for not taking his current physical condition into complete consideration.

"Sorry, pumpkin...thought I could handle that little trapeze act with a bit more finesse..." he whispered to his belly as he rubbed it gently.  He had a serious side stitch and wondered if he'd pulled something.  It didn't feel any more serious than a pulled muscle but he wasn't sure if he'd know if he'd done anything worse or not.  After all, he was sporting a few extras nowadays.  He'd also scraped a nice gouge along his side when he'd slipped on that one branch and it was bleeding at bit but it seemed to be slowing down.  Who would have thought he'd lost that much muscle tone in a few short months?  Of course he did weigh a bit more than before not to mention the fact that his sense of balance was totally out of whack.  Still, he had made it out of the window and away from Gibbs' place without anyone seeing him so that had to count for something.  But he wondered if it wouldn't have been easier to sneak up on Gibbs, wrestle him to the ground and cuff him and then take his gun and his car...  Okay, shimming down a tree with a five-month pregnant belly was definitely easier.  God, his back ached.  He could only guess how wonderful he was going to feel in four more months.  He dropped his head back against the brick wall behind him and then knocked it again a couple of times for good measure.  Why was nothing in his life ever easy?  He kept his eyes closed for another moment but knew he'd had enough of a break.  It was time to move.

----------------

"Are you sure he'd head over to his old supervisor's house?"

"Yes, Mr. Constantino.  According to the super DiNozzo's been known to stay there whenever there's a problem with his apartment..."

"His name is Constantino, damnit!  Never forget that!"  Gianni ran a frustrated hand over his short, wiry hair.  He was going to kill Anthony himself right after that baby was born.  One kid was enough.

"Yes, sir.  Forgive me.  Anyway, we've got guys headed out there now."

"How many?  I've got to meet with Michael DiNozzo in less than five hours and I can't go to him with less than the full crew.  And on top of that the DiNozzos absolutely cannot find out that Anthony's gone missing...make sure everyone knows that!"  Jesus, what fucked up timing and just before the one deal that would cement him in DiNozzo's organization.  

There was no way Gianni was going to admit to Mr. DiNozzo that he couldn't keep his own house in order, couldn't control one wayward man.  Fuck!  How in the hell did a pregnant man get away from his men in the first place?  He turned and eyed Turelo.  The man had a lump on the side of his head from his run-in with Anthony.  Idiot deserved whatever he got for letting Anthony slip away.  And yeah, he should have been stricter with him, kept him secured all the time and not just as punishment for that smart mouth of his.  Gianni knew Anthony had been a cop, but he really didn't figure the guy had it in him to get away from his men.  If he wasn't so pissed off he might have been more impressed.  

"Bring him back to the house as soon as you find him."

"What do you want me to do if he's not alone?  Mr.  uhh...your...spouse...doesn't work anymore, but his supervisor is still a Fed.  We don't need that kind of attention, Mr. Constantino."

Gianni agreed.

"Bring them both back but keep them separated.  I'm just going to have to make sure Anthony convinces his old boss that he's happy where he is and doesn't want help.  And then we can finish the deal with the Family."

Turelo eyed his employer skeptically.  The fucker was obviously crazy and this situation was going to blow sky high.  He was glad his ties to Constantino would soon be broken.  The DiNozzos were well-respected and he'd do a hell of a lot better with a more traditional type of Family regardless of how successful he'd been with Constantino.  For now, though, he'd make sure he got Mrs. Constantino under control.  And then he'd pay him back for his damaged reputation as well as the painful lump he now sported.

-----------------------

Gibbs ran on following instinct more than any trail.  Tony was too good for that.  He knew that Tony would be heading into the more populated parts of town because it would be easier to get lost in a crowd.  Gibbs knew he would still blend in despite his condition.  He'd been wearing a loose hooded sweatshirt when he'd arrived at Gibbs' house but he'd left it behind and Gibbs cursed himself for not planting the locater on Tony's shoes.  His phone rang and he answered it as he moved.

"Yeah...you and McGee take Saunders St. downtown.  I'm sure that's where he's headed.  I've got the south side...keep in touch."  He closed the phone and put it in his pocket just as he rounded the corner of an alley behind a grocery store.  And there he was. 

Tony turned and saw Gibbs just as he turned the corner so he began to run despite his fatigue and the stitch in his side. Tony didn't move nearly as fast as he used to and Gibbs caught up quickly. 

"Tony, what are you doing?"  Gibbs said as he grabbed Tony's shoulders from behind.  He was ready for the punch when it came and he dodged it easily and then wrapped his arms around Tony and held him tightly.  He knew that Tony would fight being taken back.

"Let go, Gibbs!  I can't stay with you...its too risky.  I'm better on my own and I can take care of myself."

"Right.  That's why I caught up with you so quick.  Tony, you can barely move..."

"Look, just because I'm pregnant..."

"No, Tony...not just because you're pregnant, but you've been hurt!  Hell, Ducky says you're malnourished and underweight.  The baby..."

"What?  He said I was doing alright...?  What's wrong with the baby?"  Tony gasped out as he fisted his hands into Gibbs shirt.

Gibbs put his hands on Tony's shoulders to still the fear he saw in the hazel-green eyes.

"Calm down, Tony.  He just said that you need rest and better nourishment than what you've been getting.  Whatever they've been giving isn't enough for you and the baby.  Tony, come back with me."  Gibbs looked around quickly and sighed.  "Look Tony, I know you don't want me in your life, but you need help...at least right now.  Let me take care of you."

Tony wanted with everything in him to just tell Gibbs that having him in his life was all he wanted.  And yes, he desperately wanted to let Gibbs take over but he couldn't do that.  He couldn't put Gibbs or anyone else at risk and he just plain wasn't good enough for Gibbs.  With a deep breath he pulled himself together and straightened up as he stepped back despite the pain it caused in his side and then he looked Gibbs in the eye.

"No, I don't want or need you to take care of me, Gibbs.  I only came to your place to warn you...call it the last vestige of loyalty to an old supervisor if you want.  But the fact is that I don't want to go back with you.  I don't want you.  I can and will take care of myself and my baby."

Gibbs felt like he'd been punched but only for a moment.  He stared at Tony and then understanding gelled in him.  He recognized some very subtle body signals and if he hadn't known Tony so well he could have almost believed that Tony was telling the truth about not wanting or needing Gibbs.  But then, that's what made Tony so incredibly good at undercover work.

"Cut the crap, Tony."  He stepped closer and his voice dropped into a deep register that sent a shiver down Tony's back.  "You can't do this on your own." 

It was very nearly the voice Gibbs used when he was thrusting deeply into his body and Tony suddenly felt pinned by those intense blue eyes even as his knees weakened.

"You and I both know the truth about what you really want...and need." 

Gibbs stepped even closer and Tony could feel his breath ghosting across his cheek as Gibbs leaned in closer to his ear.

"You walked away from me once.  It won't happen again, understand?"

For the first time in what seemed like forever, Tony felt that ball of fear ease in his belly. 

"Yes, Boss."  He responded automatically and saw Gibbs nod.  "But once this is all over I'll go..."

He was stopped by the hand that slapped the back of his head.  But he couldn't stay...not after what had been done to him.

"Boss, I'm not good e.... Owww!"  Tony grimaced and this time rubbed the back of his head.

"Don't ever say that, Tony.  Ya got that?  None of this was your fault.  But I do blame your father and I'll make sure he pays for what he's done to you...and not just with Constantino.  You're mine and I take care of what's mine."

"Yours, Boss?"

Tony had tried to do what he thought was right, but Gibbs was offering everything he wanted on a silver platter.  Could he do this?  Would Gibbs regret it later?

"Jethro."

Yes, he thought to himself and he knew he had to at least try no matter how it might turn out.  Tony smiled. 

"Yours, Jethro."

And with those two words Tony felt as though his world had righted and he sagged in relief.  Yes, he still needed a doctor to make sure the baby was alright and they were still in a lot of danger, but Gibbs said he had his six, regardless of what he'd been through, what he'd become.  He dropped his head onto Gibbs shoulder and felt those strong arms pull him in close.  Gibbs said he wanted to take care of him.  If it had been anyone else saying that he'd of punched him in the face but this was Gibbs and Gibbs wasn't like any other man and he never said anything he didn't mean.  Tony lifted his head and looked into those blue eyes he still loved and couldn't think of anything he wanted more than to let Gibbs take care of him right now.  He was so tired and scared and he knew deep down that Gibbs was right...he couldn't fight off Gianni's men if they did find him. 

"Okay, but only if we can go somewhere else.  Gianni will find us eventually if we stay at your place."

"Yeah, I figured that.  Don't worry.  I'll explain when we get home..."

Just then Gibbs spun around and pulled his weapon.  Tony became aware of several men around them and he realized with a sinking feeling in his stomach that he had fucked it all up and it was too late for whatever Gibbs had planned. 

 

Chapter 7

Gibbs woke up secured to a chair in what he assumed was Constantino's study.  He tugged at his arms but wasn't surprised to find cuffs securing his hands behind his back.  He remembered finding Tony in the alley and being surrounded.  He winced slightly as he turned feeling his head swim a bit which made him slightly nauseous and he hoped he wouldn't vomit with the gag in his mouth.  He relaxed a bit taking shallow breaths until his head settled down and his stomach calmed.  He remembered seeing one man making a phone call just before a blinding pain burst out across the back of his head.  The last thing he remembered was Tony yelling no.  He took a deep breath and inventoried the rest of his body.  It didn't feel as though they'd done anything else to him after knocking him out.  But what had they done to Tony?  He worried about Tony as he tugged at the cuffs but they were on too damned tight.  He looked down and took inventory of his clothing.  It seemed everything was there.  Good.  There were two heavies watching the door, one of them had a black eye.  They turned to watch him stonily but he ignored them as he inventoried his surroundings.   

Gibbs didn't know how much time had passed before the door opened and in walked a woman.  She was holding a chain.  Tony walked in behind her with another man at his side.  Gibbs could see that he'd been cleaned up and had gotten a change of clothes.  He now wore some type of soft shirt that flowed around his hips.  It reminded him of some of tops Shannon had worn during her pregnancy.  They'd laughed at how loose they were but then she'd grown to fill them.  Kelly had weighed nearly nine pounds at birth.  But what Shannon had never worn was the wide belt that was secured just under Tony's small breasts.  Tony's hands were cuffed to the belt.  It was in that instant that a red haze covered Gibbs vision as he realized just why it was that Tony had only defensive injuries to his arms.  He'd been beaten while chained.  He'd never been given the opportunity to fight back.  And then Gibbs finally had to focus on the last item...the collar Tony had around his neck.  And attached to the collar was a chain leash which was held by the woman.  With a sickening twist to his stomach Gibbs realized that this was the reason Tony couldn't stand having anything around his neck...he'd been collared for who knows how long.

Gibbs watched as Tony was led to a bench by the wall.  He didn't fight, didn't struggle, just sat down with his eyes on the floor while she secured the chain to a metal loop attached high overhead.  With his hands secured as they were there was no way for Tony to reach it.  Gibbs watched, hoping Tony would look up but he wouldn't.  The woman murmured something to him but he didn't respond.  Then she slapped him across the face.

Tony moaned as pain radiated from his jaw to his temple.  He tried to pull away and hoped the bitch would leave him alone.  He needed to find a way to get Gibbs out of there but he wouldn't be able to do anything if Gianni and his thugs beat the crap out of him.  He just needed to lay low for a bit and...aaaagh...fuck!  Not again!

Again, Gibbs fought against his bonds but it was futile.  Tony tried to move away after the slap, sliding across the bench but then he stopped as another groan was ripped out of him.  He lifted his leg and struggled to reach his calf and Gibbs realized that he had another cramp.  The woman stepped back laughing slightly as Tony tried to lift his leg closer to his hands and bend over sideways at the same time to reach it.  The two men at the door joined in her laughter as they watched Tony writhe in pain.

Just then the door opened and another man entered the room staring straight at Tony and ignoring everything else. 

"He giving you problems already?"  The man said and then watched for a bit.  "What's wrong with him?"

"No problems, yet, Sir.  Just a leg cramp...pregnant women get them all the time."

"Hmmmph.  Okay, get out of here, Cavuto, I've got him." 

The woman nodded her head and with a final disgusted look at Tony turned and left the room.  Tony struggled for a bit more but gave up and leaned back against the wall, his chest heaving as he worked through the pain.  It didn't take long for the pain to ease enough for Tony to open his eyes and struggle to his feet.  He was obviously still hurting because Gibbs could see him favoring his right leg.  Despite that, though, he stepped towards the man as far as the chain let him.  Gibbs saw the anger on his face and guessed that the newcomer was Constantino.

Constantino's eyes locked onto Tony the moment he walked into the room.  He was so pissed off he wanted to just beat the hell out of him but that wouldn't serve any purpose at this point.  He watched Cavuto leave and then turned back to Tony, spying Gibbs in the process.

"What the fuck!  I told Turelo to keep them apart..."  He turned to one of the men at the door.  "Where the fuck is Turelo?"

"I'm not sure, Sir...but he said something about double checking the guns before the DiNozzos get here..."

"Shut the fuck up, you moron!"  Constantino screamed at the man and then ran a hand over his head.  Gibbs could see that he was nervous.  Tony was right when he said that his leaving was throwing off some kind of timetable.  Good job, Tony, he told himself.

Tony shifted, easing his weight off his right leg bringing Constantino's attention back to him.

"You've got me, Gianni.  Finish your deal with my father.  Just let Gibbs go.  He doesn't know anything...why keep him?"  Tony started, gesturing to Gibbs with his head.  "He'll only bring you trouble."

"Naw, Anthony.  Thanks to Einstein over there," he gestured to the moron at the door, "he knows about the deal now.  But he won't be any trouble.  I'll make sure of that.  No, you're the one who brought me trouble."  Gianni said as he stepped closer to Tony.  "Instead of a nice little family and a profitable deal with your father I've got my men running around chasing you nearly blowing all my hard work TO HELL!"  He finished with a yell in Tony's face as he stepped into him causing him to stumble back.  He kept pushing Tony until he had him up against the wall near the bench.  He grabbed Tony's bicep and shoved his face into Tony's.  Tony turned away as Gianni continued in a growl.  "You know, your father told me you were worthless and that if I wanted to continue with this idea of a baby that I should just scramble your brains like they do to frogs in a high school science class and then just pull the plug when my son is born.  I should have listened.  But I guess I was too busy looking at your pretty face and sweet ass to see that."

Tony looked back at Gianni as he tried again.  "I swear I won't be any more trouble, Gianni, and I'll give you that family you want.  Just let him go, okay?"  Tony turned the charm up all the way, promising everything he could with his eyes as he stroked Gianni's chest as far as he could reach. 

Gianni smiled but it was a cold smile.  "You're damn right you'll give me what I want because this is mine," he said as he fondled Tony's belly.  "And this is mine," he said fondling Tony's cock.  "And I don't want no brain-dead fuck, understand?"  He growled into Tony's face and then claimed Tony's mouth.

Gibbs could feel the blood dripping off his hands as he fought the cuffs.  Come on, Tobias...come ON!

Gianni shoved his tongue inside Tony's mouth but growled when he was thwarted by the wires.  Instead he smashed his mouth even harder against Tony's and reveled in the moan he heard.  All of the frustration and anger from the last two days boiled up and spilled over into a raging lust.  In a flash he had Tony turned around and bent over the bench.  With a hand at Tony's nape to hold him in place he used his other to rip Tony's pants down.  The stray thought went through his mind that he really liked the elastic-waisted pants...made it easier to get at what he wanted.  But Tony's shirt had ridden up and there was no way he could get passed that big belly even if it was his son in there.

"Get that blanket!" he yelled over his shoulder to the men watching avidly from the door.  Black Eye jumped forward and brought it over but stood there watching Tony with a smirk on his face that seemed too personal for just the eyeful he was getting.  Gibbs wondered if Tony had given him the shiner.  

"Jesus, do I have to tell you everything?  Cover his belly with it.  I don't want to be seeing that while I fuck him." 

Black Eye draped it over Tony's back and belly as Tony struggled pushing up from the bench as much as the chains would let him.  But between the baby weight and his own upper body weight his balance was thrown completely off.  Without leverage Gianni's hand at his nape prevented him from moving at all.  His only thought was that Gibbs was about to see him get raped.

Gibbs saw Tony close his eyes and turn away in resignation, shame and misery evident in every line of his body.  How many times had Tony been through this?  Gibbs kept working at his cuffs hoping that the blood would work as a lubricant to help get his hands out as he contemplated the various ways he would kill Constantino when he got his hands around his neck.  Suddenly the door burst open.

"What the hell?  What is it, Turelo?"

"Sir, its Mr. DiNozzo and his son.  They're here."

Constantino muttered a curse as he fastened his clothes and then he turned to the black-eyed heavy.

"Get him dressed!"  He turned back to Turelo and then glanced at his watch.  "What happened?  We were supposed to meet them at the warehouse!"

"Mr. DiNozzo changed his mind.  He said he wanted to see you and his son."

"Did he say why?"

"No, Sir, Mr. Constantino.  All I know is that they're moving the guns to one of his warehouses right now..."

"Moving the guns?  And you let him?  What the fuck were you thinking?  You knew how I had the deal set up...DiNozzo was just a face to show I'm connected and that the Family is backing this." 

Turelo eyed his former employer.  "The Family is backing this, Mr. Constantino, just not with you in charge."

Comprehension dawned on Gianni's face.  "How long have you been in their pocket, Turelo?"

"Ever since you turned fag and brought that bastard," he gestured at Tony, "into this house.  He's a cop for chrissakes!  There was no way you were going to have whatever fucked-up fantasy you dreamed about, and especially not in this sick way.  Me and the boys have had enough of it."

"So you help DiNozzo with the shipment and then what, you gonna take me out for him, too?"

Turelo straightened up a bit and nodded.  "Yeah, if that's what Mr. DiNozzo wants."

Gianni spun away and began laughing humorlessly and muttering.  "Godamnit, God-fucking-damnit!  I should have seen this coming...fuck!"

"Should have seen what coming, Gianni?"  Michael DiNozzo Sr. said from the doorway, Michael standing silently behind him.

 

Chapter 8

Gianni turned to face him his face grim but DiNozzo ignored him and coolly walked in, looking around the room as though taking inventory.  He noted Tony sitting on a bench being held in place by a guard with a black eye and he sneered when he saw the collar and chains.  He also saw Gibbs tied to a chair across the room.  He frowned a bit and then he turned away, promptly forgetting about them both.

"That this was all a set-up.  You never planned on letting me in."  Gianni stated. 

"Of course not, Gianni, be realistic.  Everyone is very upset with you, do you understand?  No?  Fine, I'll explain," DiNozzo began in a smooth baritone.

Gibbs listened closely while he took in the self-assured man whom he hated on sight.  So this, then, was Tony's father.  Gibbs was surprised.  There was no physical resemblance between the two men at all but it was obvious where Tony had picked up some of his more serious mannerisms.  Then Gibbs made a mental note to never mention that to Tony.  Michael DiNozzo Sr. was poised and oozed class and respect.  But where Tony could produce a hard edge in his eyes that he was proud to say was damn close to his own, this man's eyes showed a truly lethal potential, they were the eyes of a man who didn't care what he had to do to get what he wanted.  Gibbs' gut twisted at the thought of those eyes pointed at a little boy...and the actions that had accompanied the looks.  But now those eyes were pointed at Gianni and Gibbs knew it was going to go very bad very quickly.

"It all starts with that shipment you stole from Petruccio.  But what you may not have realized is that the original shipment actually belonged to me, not Petruccio, you see?  And now Petruccio is upset because he owes me for the shipment that you stole.  Your buyer is upset because he won't be getting the guns you promised, although I'm sure I can assuage his anger.  But I'm upset, too, Gianni.  Do you want to know why I'm upset?  I'm upset because you tried to use my own guns to get into my good graces.  And not only that, you've now gotten the Feds involved.  That is bringing far too much attention to our little business dealings.  It is unacceptable and I am going to have to clean up your mess.  And finally, you nosed around into my personal business and learned about Anthony.  But not only that, you came to me in the belief that I would welcome a fag into my family.  I am not talking about Anthony.  You are that fag, Gianni, and you thought you could bring a perversion of nature and that abomination he carries with you.  Well, I'm here to tell you that it will not happen.  You aimed too high, Gianni.  You thought you could worm your way into our organization, into my Family, but you were wrong..."

DiNozzo was interrupted by a sharp bark of laughter.  He turned to see Tony sitting on the bench holding his side while he laughed.  The guard next to him shook him a bit and told him to shut up, but he didn't.  Instead he turned to Gianni.

"Don't you get it, Gianni?  My father used you to get rid of a thorn that's been in his side for years.  Killing two birds with one stone, right, Dad?"

"I've told you never to call me that."  Although there was no change in inflection or tone, DiNozzo's voice seemed to drop several degrees.

"Yes, you have and I never listened.  But it doesn't matter anymore, does it?  You're going to get everything you want in one fell swoop.  Get rid of the newcomer, take over his business and get rid of your worthless son.  Well congratulations, Dad.  You're one hell of a planner."

Gianni couldn't believe what he'd heard.  That DiNozzo had screwed him over so royally did come as a surprise but, really, their business was cutthroat and he did have some backup plans in case it all went south.  But to hear what DiNozzo thought of his own son shocked him.  Family was everything to them.  That is why he wanted in on it so badly.  With Family there was protection and safety...well, as much as their business allowed for it.

"DiNozzo," Gianni began.  Gone were the pretenses of respect and formality.  "He's still carrying your grandson..."

"Don't you dare say that!"  DiNozzo spit out quietly.  "You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  Thought you had it all figured out when you found out about Anthony.  Well you don't know shit, understand?  That thing in him isn't my grandson."

Finally, Gibbs heard real emotion in DiNozzo's voice.  It was filled with loathing and disgust.

"What's the matter, Dad?  Can't bear the thought that your fag son is pregnant?  Well, thanks to modern technology and to you, I am!  And it's a real baby...your grandson..." 

Tony was interrupted by another bark of laughter.  Turning he saw Michael bent over in mirth but his attention was brought back to his father who now stood in front of him.  He stood up, refusing to let his father try to intimidate him the way he had when he was a child. 

"You don't get it, do you, you stupid cunt!"  Still DiNozzo never raised his voice and Gibbs realized that the foul language was the true indicator of DiNozzo's rage.  "I fucked Gianni over by giving you to him.  Sure, he has that abomination inside of you and it might be a Constantino but it's sure as hell not a DiNozzo because you're not a DiNozzo."

Tony stared at him, shocked pain and confusion plain on his face.

"Your mother was a whore." He stated as a matter of fact.  "I hadn't touched her in months when she suddenly tells me she's pregnant...pregnant with you.  But I have a reputation so I let you be born and I gave you my name but once she got herself killed that was it, I was done with you except for one thing...you still had my name.  And what did you do with it, you worthless piece of fag meat?  You decide to become a cop and on the side you keep spreading your legs just like your mother..."

Tony reeled, his stomach twisting at the vile words he father so calmly delivered.  No, not his father...he wasn't a DiNozzo!  So that's why he'd been hated his entire life, why he'd been considered so worthless. 

"But then you find yourself a place, whored yourself off to that man," DiNozzo said pointing at Gibbs.  "Finally found someone to keep you, right?  Well all that's going to end.  I'm going to kill him while you watch and then I'm going to kill you and finally be done with you..."

The shot took DiNozzo by surprise and he whirled around.  He turned to see Turelo falling backwards, blood from the back of his head spraying all over Michael.  Michael pulled his gun but Gianni already had him in his sight.

Gibbs had seen Gianni reach for his gun and watched while he shot Turelo and then pointed his gun at Michael.  He clearly heard Gianni say that if DiNozzo was going to kill his son then he'd do the same and he fired.  The idiot at the door didn't seem to know who to point his gun at, but Gibbs' attention was drawn back to Tony and he thanked every God he'd ever heard of that despite his shock Tony was still able to react to the situation at hand.  He'd elbowed the guy behind him and was able to grab his gun.  But Gibbs was helpless as he watched Black Eye reach for it.  The two men struggled and he screamed into his gag when he heard another shot and nearly passed out in relief when Black Eye fell backwards, blood spreading from the hole in his chest.  Shots were being exchanged by the door guy and Gianni.  DiNozzo had taken cover behind a desk just as Tony took cover behind the bench.  He quickly frisked Black Eye's pockets, probably searching for the cuff keys.  Gibbs rocked at his chair until he was able to fall over to one side.  More men had begun shooting into the room and there were several down.  He saw DiNozzo firing from behind the desk.  Gibbs didn't know where he'd gotten a gun from.  If he'd had it sooner he was sure he would have prevented Gianni from shooting Michael.  He tried to see if Tony was alright but he couldn't from his position and then he heard the sound of a bullhorn.  Fornell had finally arrived.

When all was said and done, DiNozzo was in custody, Michael, Turelo and three others were dead, two wounded, one of whom was Tony who'd taken a slight graze across the top of his shoulder and had some bleeding at his side.  The worst, though, was that somehow in the melee Constantino had disappeared.  

Gibbs walked over to DiNozzo as the FBI agents were reading him his rights.  The two men stared at one another, neither giving an inch but both understanding that if the chance ever came up, one of them would die.  Gibbs nodded first with a slight smile.  DiNozzo just nodded as the agent pulled him away. 

Gibbs returned to watch while Tony was treated.  Fornell came to stand beside him.

"What took you so long?"

Fornell looked at Gibbs and shrugged.  "Well, since you failed to get the locater on Tony we had to resort to looking at the list of known properties belonging to both DiNozzo and Constantino.  We had to check them all out.  Plus we needed time for recorded evidence linking DiNozzo to Constantino..."

"Tobias..." Gibbs warned in a low growl.  He was tired of the tap-dancing. 

Fornell gave Gibbs one disgusted humph and turned away.  "It wasn't until Agent McGee and Ms. Sciuto decided to scan cell phone calls through the nearest tower in the vicinity where you found Tony that they were able to start tracing whichever thug it was that called Constantino to tell him they'd located you and then we worked it from there.   Happy?"

Gibbs gave a satisfied snort as he waited for more.

"When we got the location we found DiNozzo's men taking the guns to one of their own warehouses.  Very sloppy...we've never been able to link any shipments directly to DiNozzo before.  Then we got one of Constantino's men to tell us where they were holding you and Tony."

Fornell stopped at Gibbs nod.  If the man wants more details he'll just have to get it from my report later, he told himself testily.

"Oh, and by the way, Director Shepherd called.  Seems she is a bit put out that NCIS agents were involved in an FBI case without her knowledge.  I told her you would be glad to explain everything as soon as possible.  She's waiting for your call."

"What do you mean ‘agents'?  I'm on leave."

"Yes and it seems that the rest of your team also put themselves on leave but their presence was noted doing the background checks and cell phone searches."

"And you know this because?"

"Because my people were with your people when Director Shepherd found them, okay?"

"Guess we'll both be talking to her, then."

Fornell snorted and looked back towards the medics.  He stood next to Gibbs a short distance away from where Tony was being treated.  They had automatically gone to Gibbs having seen the blood all over his hands but he'd waved them off and told them to see to Tony first and so he and Gibbs were waiting until they finished.  He was still amazed at what he saw but with the changing times knew that this wouldn't be the last time he'd see a pregnant man.  He couldn't imagine what Tony was going through mentally with all of this.  He glanced at the intense look of the man beside him and then decided that Tony would probably be alright no matter what.

"Yours, huh Jethro?"

Gibbs turned that intense look onto Fornell.  He hadn't been thinking about both NCIS and the FBI listening in on the wire he wore but in a split moment realized that he really didn't give a damn.

"Got a problem with that?" 

"No, no problem...just wondered if I was going to be invited to the wedding.  You know, when we finally find Constantino and either the annulment or divorce comes through..."

"Wedding..."  Gibbs said the word to himself as he looked over at Anthony Dante DiNozzo Constantino.  It wasn't anything he would ever have considered before, but then so much had happened that he would never have imagined.  With a last look at Fornell he turned and strode back to Tony's side leaving Fornell laughing quietly behind him.

FBI Agent Sacks was ostensibly overseeing the removal of the bodies but in reality he was watching DiNozzo being treated.  DiNozzo, or Constantino now he reminded himself with a sneer, had been kidnapped and surgically altered so he could have a mobster's baby.  And now they had the proof that his own father was a mobster as well.  Okay, maybe not his biological father, but he was tied to the man nevertheless.  All of it just served to sicken him even more than usual when he thought about the arrogant, overgrown brat of an NCIS agent.  This whole male pregnancy thing was a complete aberration to begin with and now it involved the one man that Sacks had the most difficulty dealing with above all others.  So what if he wasn't an NCIS agent anymore, from the looks of concern both Gibbs and Fornell were heaping on him he had the feeling he still wasn't going to be rid of the man (man?) any time soon.  He turned away in disgust and saw one of the coroner's people looking at him oddly so he relaxed his expression and stared at the man until he looked away and went back to his job.  Sacks determinedly kept his back to the others in the room for the rest of the day.

Gibbs walked up to Tony who was sitting back on the bench staring silently at the movement around him.  Gibbs didn't like what he saw.  Tony was pale and uncommunicative and looked slightly shocky.  He heard the paramedics trying to talk him into letting the doctor see him but he just shook his head.  Gibbs had always known how Tony felt about hospitals and he couldn't blame him for not wanting to go.  Still, though, he needed to make sure everything was alright with both of them.

"Tony, let them check you out.  It won't take long and I'll be right there with you."

"Jethro, I'm fine.  You're the one who needs to see the doctor.  You're dripping on the floor."  Tony said dully as he gestured to Gibbs' wrists.  As soon as he said that another paramedic immediately took Gibbs by the arm and sat him down next to Tony.

Gibbs shot Tony a look that screamed "Thanks a lot!" which Tony read loud and clear and Gibbs was rewarded by a slight smile.  "But you're still going.  You're bleeding from your side and your shoulder and you look like hell and I need to make damn sure you're alright."

Tony's eyes widened and he nodded his head but still he remained quiet and then his eyes slid away from Gibbs.  That action more than anything sent warning bells ringing in Gibbs' his head but now wasn't the time to question him.  He'd try later when things settled down.

 

Chapter 9

Gibbs watched Tony's eyes slide shut again but he made no move to shut the TV off.  Hospitals were noisy places anyway, but the TV seemed to keep the sound to a steady drone and Tony seemed to sleep better with the background noise.  Hopefully, he'd still be asleep when Fornell came by.  Gibbs glanced at his watch wishing he had more coffee and then turned towards the door when it opened quietly.  Fornell stuck his head in, glanced at Tony and saw that he was asleep and then motioned for Gibbs to come out.  Gibbs silently left the room but remained in the doorway in case Tony needed him. 

Fornell saw the look on Gibbs face as he stepped out and quickly explained that he'd sent the guards to go get coffee.  Gibbs sighed but nodded and Fornell handed him one of the cups in his hand.  Gibbs took a sip and closed his eyes for a second.  Fornell guessed he'd probably been awake ever since Tony had shown up at his place two nights before.  Fornell gestured to the chairs in the hallway but Gibbs shook his head.  Tony had been plagued by nightmares every time he slept and Gibbs was determined never to leave him alone. 

"How is he?"

"Sleeping finally.  Looks like they want to keep him here for a couple of days.  They've been talking to Dr. Theurgenson and they decided that they're not happy with his blood work...he's anemic and undernourished plus he's exhausted."

"Is the baby alright?"  Fornell could see the worry in Gibbs eyes.

"They think so.  They'll be doing an ultrasound this afternoon but they seem pretty optimistic."  Gibbs rolled his shoulders a bit and glanced down at his empty cup.  He needed some more coffee but he wanted answers more. 

"How's the investigation going?  Any word on Constantino?"

"No, he's gone to ground but we'll find him Jethro."

"What about Smithson?"

Fornell shook his head.  Dr. Alan Smithson was one of Dr. Theurgenson's colleagues.  He had been forced to perform the surgery on Tony and had been treating him.  He disappeared just before Tony escaped.

"We found him.  He's dead, Jethro.  He killed himself.  Apparently he couldn't live with what he did to Tony.  We found his notes and they're filled with remorse.  He really believed in what he was doing with Theurgenson, actually seemed like a good guy."

"They why'd he do this?  What did they have on him?"

"The man liked to gamble.  He was in to Constantino for nearly a quarter of a million dollars.  So when he was approached with an offer to wipe his debt clean, he caved but he couldn't deal with it afterwards.  Dr. Theurgenson said he was fully qualified to perform the required procedures so he's sure there's no problem there.  I understand that he's going to see Tony today?"

Gibbs nodded.  He'd spoken with Theurgenson and found he actually liked the man.  He was glad he'd be taking over Tony's case.

"Yeah, he'll be here this afternoon along with Ducky."  Gibbs phone rang and he grimaced when he saw who it was from but he answered it anyway despite hospital policy. 

Fornell stepped away for a bit and looked up and down the hallways.  The two guards reappeared and one of them had an extra cup of coffee.  Fornell took the cup as they resumed their place at the door.  Fornell turned at the loud irritated snap from Gibbs closing his phone.  He wondered idly how many cell phones Gibbs went through in a year.  He handed Gibbs the new cup.

"Problems?"

"Jenny.  Since I won't go to her, she's coming here."

"I thought you were still on leave?"

"I am, but she wants a sitrep so you should probably hang around."

"No problem.  I'd planned on visiting her later today anyway.  I believe my director will also be calling her to thank her for your team's assistance blah, blah, blah.  But come to think of it, I hope he doesn't decide to call before she gets here.  It'd put her in a great frame of mind to be thanked before she even has the details."  Fornell took a thoughtful sip of his still hot coffee and wondered how in the hell Gibbs and finished his already.  "This is going to be fun."  He threw out there.

"Ya think?" Gibbs snorted as he turned to go back into the room.

----------------------------

Tony kept his eyes closed as he absentmindedly stroked his belly.  He was alone for a bit while Gibbs stepped out to speak with someone.  He knew there were guards at his door but he refused to think about that now.  He should be making plans for when he got out of the hospital but it was so hard to think.  He needed to look at his finances to see how long he and the baby could be on their own before he absolutely had to find work.  He knew they were calling in Dr. Thuergenson and he was glad for that, but the end result would be a pile of medical bills that weren't going to be paid off any time soon.  He had no insurance since he quit NCIS so maybe a job was going to be necessary sooner than he thought.  He wondered if he could apply for assistance as a single mother...  His thoughts skittered away like fall leaves and he made no real effort to try and concentrate.  He sighed deeply and concentrated instead on the butterfly flutter he felt on his lower left side.  That brought a smile to his face despite the tears that were slowly sliding into his hair.

The door opened quietly and he knew that Gibbs had returned.  He spoke briefly with someone at the door and then Tony felt a gentle thumb wipe the side of his face.

"Hey, Tony...what are these for?"

Tony opened his eyes to see the man who hadn't left his side since the shootout but he closed them again because it hurt too much too see the concern in those blue eyes.  He refused to think about the love he saw there.  It was going to be so hard to leave him but he had to.  Whatever Gibbs thought he felt for him right now would fade.  Tony knew that because it always did.

Gibbs was at a loss as he tried to understand what was going on in Tony's mind.  It seemed as though he just couldn't reach Tony right now, that for some reason the understanding that had been between them had eroded during Tony's absence.  He was honest enough with himself to admit that it scared him.  Right now Tony wasn't speaking with him and had barely said two words to Ducky.  Plus he refused to see any other members of the team which was something Abby was taking really badly.   But he wouldn't push him.  He was just too fragile right now.  He knew that Tony's world had been thrown off kilter with his father's words.  On a good day Tony hid his insecurities very well although he'd been able to see through to the vulnerable man underneath almost from the start.  But his father handing him over to be used by that abusive bastard in a manner that DiNozzo found the most base and disgusting was a betrayal he doubted Tony would get over easily, if at all. 

How was it possible that Tony had grown into the fine man that he is today with the complete lack of emotional or moral support that a family would normally provide?  The mere fact that Tony maintained his bisexual identity despite his upbringing was a testament to his resiliency and ability to stay true to himself which had left Gibbs in awe on more than one occasion when he'd learned some new tidbit of Tony's past.

He'd spoken at length with Ducky that next day after hearing Tony's story.  Gibbs could tell that Ducky was trying to give him information without going into too much detail which he probably felt would be a betrayal towards a friend.  Help in the form of counseling might very well be called for considering his family's horrid betrayal and abuse, he'd said.  Gibbs thought that he might be right. 

Gibbs moved his hand to lightly stroke through Tony's hair over and over.  It was something that had always relaxed Tony in the past and it seemed to work now as Gibbs noticed the tension leaving the tight shoulders and Tony relaxed again.  Gibbs relaxed only when he noted that Tony was once again asleep.

--------------------------

"Mr. Constantino?"  The small man asked as he entered pushing a cart ahead of him.  "I'm Dr. Theurgenson."

Tony opened his eyes at the new presence.  He didn't need to look to know that Gibbs was still in the room.  He could feel him hovering near his right shoulder plus Ducky was waiting by the window.

"Please call me Tony.  Where's Dr. Smithson?"

"I'm afraid he, uhh, passed away suddenly.  I'm going to see to your care personally, Tony, if that's all right."

Tony looked at him for a moment but nodded.  Smithson had praised this man to high heaven even as he apologized for what he was doing.  Tony figured that DiNozzo, his ex-father, was probably the one who saw to Dr. Smithson's disposal.   He might have figured that without care both Tony and the baby would die saving him the trouble of having them killed.  He turned away from Dr. Theurgenson for a moment as a wash of despair rolled over him but then he felt a warm and familiar hand on his shoulder. 

Dr. Stan Theurgenson looked at the young man on the bed and noted his pained expression.  The withdrawal was not unexpected considering what he'd been through and it bothered Stan deeply that his procedure had been so misused.

"I'm so very sorry that my process was used against you in this manner.  I'd intended it to bring joy to couples who wanted children of their own, not this.  Tony, I'll do everything in my power to get you through this.  I can even help with the adoption process if you find that you can't keep the child..."

"No!"  Seemed to explode from both Tony and Gibbs simultaneously and then they looked at one another.  Tony was shocked.  Could this mean that Gibbs wanted the baby?  Tony saw the intense Gibbs look he was accustomed to but was surprised to note the slight blush that crept up the older man's neck.  Gibbs refused to look away and something in his eyes said that they would talk later.  Tony nodded and even felt a tiny inkling of hope which he promptly squashed.  Ever since his father's disclosure he found himself unable to believe that there would ever be a chance for them again.  Yours, Jethro, at least the baby will be, but what about me?  Tony turned back to the doctor.

"Dr. Smithson did what he had to and I understand that.  I want this baby now although I can't say that I was in a very receptive frame of mind in the beginning." 

Tony remembered waking up to see a slender older man standing at his bedside.  The man looked like a doctor and it wasn't until looked around a bit that he realized that the man was lightly palpitating his lower belly and then it hit him.  This was the doctor that would change him, make it so that he could get pregnant.

"Please don't do this..."  Tony begged.  The doctor paled and dropped his head.  Then he gently laid his hand on Tony's lower abdomen.  It was a strangely intimate and yet almost comforting at the same time.  Still Tony felt his stomach clench.

The doctor took a deep breath.  "I'm so sorry but...it's already done.  You're already pregnant, Mr. Constantino."

Tony couldn't breathe.  He looked down and saw the shaved area where the incision was and he began to scream.

Tony was brought back from his memories by the doctor's voice.

"I can understand that, but we're here now so let's see where we're at, okay?"

Tony snorted at the ‘we' bit but nodded.  "Okay, Dr. Theurgenson."

"Call me Stan, Tony."  He understood the snort.  Tony felt all alone and he couldn't blame him, although he did seem to have support from both Mr. Gibbs and Dr. Mallard whom he'd spoken with earlier.  He truly hoped that Tony would come to see him in that light as well.  "I'm going to be with you every step of the way, alright?  So we're going to get to know one another very well." Stan said as he pulled the cart forward.

"Okay, then, Stan," Tony began a bit nervously.  He recognized the ultrasound and his concern for the baby came to fore.  Again he felt that warm hand on his shoulder and he looked up at Gibbs and then over at Ducky and felt a thousand times better. 

Gibbs was glad to hear Tony talking even if it wasn't directly to him.  He'd been very worried about Tony's silence correctly identifying the depression and worry in the young man's eyes. 

"Do you want me to leave, Tony?"  Gibbs asked.  He kept his face neutral letting Tony make his own decision. 

"No.  I'd like you to stay if you don't mind."  God, I wish this baby was yours but it isn't, but please, Jethro, please stay so you can be sure this is what you want to do...

"Couldn't get me out of here with a Marine battalion."  By your side, Tony.  Forever, if you'll let me...

Tony heard the words and read the sentiment in Gibbs' eyes and felt tears gather in his eyes and he wanted to believe it so damn much and yet...

"And what about me, Tony?"  Ducky asked as he moved forward.

"Baby's going to need a grandfather.  Are you up for that, Ducky?"

"Absolutely, my dear, dear boy.  I'd be most honored."  Ducky replied with a warm smile.

"Well, alrighty, then.  Let's get this show on the road!"  Stan said as he fired up his machine.  Things were going to be just fine.  He could feel it and it eased the tightness he'd felt in his chest ever since he'd learned of the situation.  He pulled out the warmed gel and began the ultrasound.

Later, Stan considered the three men he'd left talking amongst themselves after he'd examined Tony.  He hoped the wires in Tony's mouth would come out soon.  He wasn't pleased with Tony's weight gain or the anemia and made the appropriate orders for meds and nutrition in Tony's records.  Oh, Alan, he thought to himself as he recalled Alan Smithson.  Neither Tony nor Gibbs had wanted verification of the sex of the child although Tony said that Alan claimed the child to be a boy and that Constantino had crowed that he'd known it all along.  Dr. Mallard had merely smiled.  Stan lamented the loss of his colleague and friend and regretted that he'd felt so powerless and without hope that he took his own life.  But he did appreciate Alan's final ‘fuck you' and he mentally saluted his friend and smiled.