RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 

Chapter 41

Gina sat in the living room as she tried to understand what Gianni had been saying.  She'd heard his comments just before entering the room about keeping the other baby as a companion to Gianni Jr.  That thought infuriated her, completely overshadowing the fear she'd felt when she'd discovered that the baby was a girl and not the son Gianni thought he had.  It was that fear which made her complete the transformation Gianni was expecting not knowing what else to do.  She certainly wasn't going to tell Gianni the truth.  But all that fear was gone now.  Gianni intended to keep Anthony and that was something she simply could not accept.  She got up and paced as she tried to think. 

In the bedroom Gianni continued to reinforce his lesson with Shelly, plying her with chocolate when she pleased him.  Tony watched from the bed.  He looked around the room trying to figure out how to get loose so that he could kill Gianni himself.  There was no way in hell they were going to go anywhere with the crazy fuck if he had anything to do with it. He tugged again at the hated chains but they were firmly attached to the belt secured below his breasts.  His collar was secured up above him to some bar attached to the ceiling.  If he hadn't been so desperate Tony might have wondered at the kink that would require such a contraption.  As it was he gauged whether or not he could reach the point where his leash was attached.  Not without getting up, he realized, but he couldn't do that because his right ankle was secured to the foot of the bed, right at the center.  He stopped to wonder at the placement but assumed it was the only attachment point for some reason.  Regardless, it looked like he wasn't going to be able to get out of this until someone released him.  He heard Gianni tell Shelly that they had to leave soon, that they would get to fly on an airplane and wouldn't that be fun?  That thought sent a shard of fear coursing though him and he prayed for Jethro to find them soon.

Gianni looked at his son in pleasure.  He was a beautiful child.  Almost too beautiful but he pushed away the thought that accompanied that.  Anthony was beautiful, too, and very masculine.  Gianni Jr. would look just like him and that pleased Gianni.  Thinking of Anthony sent a rush of lust through him and he looked at the man laying there struggling against his bonds.  God, that was such a turn-on, too, despite the rounded belly and tits.  He put Gianni Jr. on the floor and handed him the bottle Gina had brought in with him and the little truck.  It was time to show his son how you handled an errant wife.

Gianni approached the bed and looked down at Tony with a little smile on his face.  He ran his hand down Tony's cheek and watched the eyes widen at the comprehension of his desires.  Tony struggled more and Gianni laughed.  No point in wasting time...there was a plane to catch. 

Tony fought with everything in him but Gianni had no trouble as he pulled Tony's pants down.  Tony kicked with the one leg but Gianni just used the loose pant leg to secure Tony's ankles together.  Without preamble he simply flipped Tony over and Tony immediately brought his legs up as far as he could to help protect his stomach, now understanding why he had only one leg secured as it was.  It would make it easier for Gianni to rape him.  He couldn't raise his upper body, so he turned his face to the side so that he could breathe and he screamed at Gianni through his gag.

Gianni merely laughed as he pulled the tube of lubricant from his pocket.  He had no desire to hurt Tony, at least not right now.  It could prove a hassle to get him moving and on to the plane.  He reached down and pulled himself out of his pants, stroking his cock as he contemplated sinking into that tight, sweet ass he'd missed.  Without even removing his jacket he lubed Tony up well and added some more to his own hard cock and lined himself up to steadily push himself inside.

Again Tony screamed as Gianni raped him in front of Shelly.  He could hear her babbling and then start calling to him as Mama and he closed his eyes as tears began to spill over.  Shelly obviously figured something was wrong and had moved to the side of the bed and tried to pull herself up.  He heard Gianni laugh around the sound of slapping flesh as he called to Shelly, only he called her Gianni, and telling her that this is how you kept your bitch in line. And Shelly began to cry, calling out for Mama over and over.

----------------------------

Jethro took the opportunity to make some phone calls when they moved his Dad upstairs.  He also made a quick trip to check on Ziva.  She was sleeping but the nurse said she was doing well.  He had a sudden flashback to the moment when that bomb had gone off.  He saw Ziva blown backwards just before he, too, was hit by the concussive force of the blast.  His team had been lucky.  Not so the police department.  He swore to himself that not only was he going to find and kill Constantino, he'd find out who the bomber was and deal with him as well.

He had just stepped back into his Dad's room and watched while they made the final adjustments to several monitors as he considered the update from McGee.  They'd found a cell phone.  It had been damaged but Abby was working with it to see if they could get anything.  He sat down wondering why Fornell hadn't called and kicking himself for not talking to Morales himself when he heard a slight moan.  In a flash he was calling for the nurse and then he returned to his Dad's side.  He smiled when he saw the blue eyes so like his own finally open.  He was pushed to the side as the nurses and doctor checked him over but he moved closer when he saw his Dad struggling to speak.  Despite the doctor's admonition to remain calm Jack looked Leroy straight in the eye and gasped out his message.

"Fine...go find ‘em..." he said before closing his eyes with a sigh.  Jethro took a single moment to pat his Dad on the hand.

"Love you..." he whispered and then Jethro was gone.

Jack relaxed on the bed despite the fear and slight confusion.  He knew that bastard that had shown up was after Tony and Shelly but he wasn't sure what had happened next, only that his family was in trouble.  But Leroy was there and he'd make sure it would all work out right.  His son had said he loved him.  Not often his boy said that but he knew it just the same.  Leroy would make everything all right, he told himself again and with that thought he slipped back into a light, healing sleep.

-----------------------------

"Report!" Gibbs barked as soon as he entered the bullpen.  Fornell merely turned around and looked at him with a slight smile which broadened when McGee immediately answered.

"Found a cell phone here, Boss," he said indicating a spot on the murder site photo.  Abby is working with Troy to retrieve whatever phone calls were placed.  The bullets pulled from Seaman McAvoy matched the gun used at your house.  Ducky also found a single shot to the right temple of the body burned in the car which also matched the gun.  He's running DNA analysis on the remains but we're pretty sure it's Scarpetta.  It appears as though Scarpetta killed McAvoy and then shot himself but..." McGee's voice trailed off.

"But what, McGee?"

Fornell decided to jump in.  "Your suspect shouldn't have had the skills to do wire his car.  He was a medic."

"We know that.  What else?" Gibbs said turning to McGee.

"Leanna and Michelle have statements that say Scarpetta was here when those other bombs went off.  It's unlikely from the time frame that he could have done it."

Gibbs blew out a breath and tuned to Fornell.  "Get anything from Morales?"

"Nothing much, he knew Scarpetta but hadn't seen him since he separated.  He said that Scarpetta used to mention a cousin but he couldn't recall anything else.  He'd only seen Godwin that one time."

"I've checked through Scarpetta's file. I'm running a check on his family.  He listed a cousin and I'm running her down now," McGee threw in.  He'd done the same with Godwin and Morales and had come up empty. 

"What's the cousin's name?" Gibbs asked.

"Regina Cavuto," McGee answered.

That was her! Jethro thought as he recalled the woman who'd slapped Tony when they were at Constantino's house.  "She worked for Constantino," he growled.  "Find her!" he ordered and McGee immediately jumped on his computer to check on the status of his search.

"Shit," Fornell added, suddenly remembering the name from the reports of that day. They hadn't found her in the building and had assumed she was one of the servants who'd fled when the bullets started flying.  Checking on them had been a low-priority follow-up.  He grabbed his phone and dialed someone.

"Jethro," he said when he hung up.  "She's been missing since that day.  She's probably the one who got Constantino out of the house and is probably still helping him."

"Damnit, Tobias!" Gibbs yelled. 

Fornell said nothing.  His agency had screwed up and he knew it.  There was probably a warrant out on her since the beginning, but it had been issued only to close out her part in the whole mess.  Now it looked as though she'd been a key player.  Fuck!

Jethro stormed out of the bullpen, his mind in a torrent of rage.  That bitch had slapped Tony.  Who knew what she would do to him.  Without conscious thought he grabbed a Caf-Pow and headed downstairs.

Abby saw him as soon as he entered the lab and she ran into his arms.  "I knew you'd show up right now," she said in between sobs.  He held for a bit as he told her Ziva and Jack would be fine and then pulled back.

"Why right now?" he asked.

"Because you always show up when I've got something for you, it's just the way it works," she said with a watery smile.

"What've you got, Abby?" he asked gently.

Abby wiped the tears away from her face and Gibbs saw that she no longer had any eye make-up and her eyes were swollen but she turned in a heartbeat and began reporting.  Gibbs felt a surge of pride and he squeezed her shoulder as he looked at her computer screen.

"A really short list of phone numbers, predominantly this one," she said as she pointed to a phone number. 

Gibbs looked down at the fried piece of plastic and was amazed that they'd gotten anything at all.

"If it had been any closer it would have fried completely, but we were lucky," she said and then pulled up some more information.  "We know it's a pre-paid cell phone and that this other number is also a pre-paid cell phone."

"Probably Cavuto," he mumbled and Abby looked at him.  "Keep going," he said.

"Troy and I think that if we call this other phone we can trace where it is.  The only problem with that is they'll probably hang up before we can get a trace, so you need to be close before we try.  We're looking at the towers starting at the point where the bodies were found because that's where the cell phone was found and it also matched the towers used when the 911 call was placed.  We're working backwards from the last phone call made on this cell and checking for matches with other calls made from this other number."

"You can do that?"

"It's all we've got, Gibbs," Abby said looking as though she was near tears again.

Gibbs kissed her temple and leaned in close. "You'll find it," he whispered reassuringly and Abby nodded and got back to work.

------------------------------

Gina paced a bit more as she considered her options.  She had to kill Anthony somehow.  It was the only choice.  She knew where Gianni had placed extra guns in the house as a pre-caution.  She thought about it.  Maybe she could get Gianni and the baby away long enough to shoot Anthony?  But he'd know it...he'd hate her for taking what was his.  But he'd still have Gianni Jr., he'd have to see that this was the best way.  Her stomach hurt at the thought of incurring Gianni's wrath when she killed Anthony and she hesitated.  Instead she moved to the television and turned it on and sat down staring at the image-filled screen while she thought about it.  She didn't know how long she'd been staring at the TV when she suddenly realized she was looking at Carlo's car.  It had burned to a crisp.  Was that why she couldn't get a hold of Carlo?  Was he in the car when it burned up?  Gianni had sent Carlo to meet up with that man.  Oh, God.  Gianni had had Carlo killed.  And if he was keeping Anthony, was she next?  Suddenly she realized that Gianni Jr. was crying in the next room.  What was happening?  Then she knew.  Gianni was too involved with Anthony to pay attention to the baby.  That meant...

In a heartbeat she was opening the door to the bedroom.  One of Gianni's guns was in her hand as she took in the scene before her.  Gianni was pounding into Anthony while the baby cried at the side of the bed.  Cheating bastard...Gianni was hers!  She slammed the door open.

"Get off of him!" she screamed at Gianni. 

Gianni stopped moving when he heard the door slam.  He looked over his left shoulder and froze.  Gina was pointing a gun at him...at him!  The bitch. 

"Okay, Gina, relax...let me get off of him," he said slowly.  He pulled out of Tony and heard him moan.  He brought his right hand to rest on Anthony's ass as he turned his upper body to the left.  The baby was crying but Gina ignored him, jealousy burning in her eyes as she stared at Gianni.

"You had Carlo killed...he was my family!" she said in a choked voice.

"Carlo was in the way, Gina, in the way of all our plans," Gianni said soothingly all the while moving his hand closer to his gun.

"But they won't let us get away, Gianni, it wasn't just Carlo...you killed three more of those NSCI agents, not just the old man at your house..."

Tony's breath caught in his throat.  She meant NCIS...Jethro was dead?  NO! NONononononono... and he began to scream into his gag and Shelly began to screech.

"Shut up, bitch!" Gianni yelled at Anthony and slapped him hard on the ass but Anthony was sobbing and the baby was screaming.  Then Gina started talking again which pissed Gianni off even more...who the fuck did she think she was?

"You don't need him, Gianni," she said through her tears.  "I can take care of the baby...I'll give you more sons...real sons..."

Gianni's eyes narrowed.  Real sons...?  He turned his head slightly towards the baby but kept his eyes on Gina.

"Shh, Gianni, shh...it's alright..." he crooned softly at the sobbing baby and he saw Gina look down.  In that split second he pulled the 45 from its holster under his left arm and fired at her through his jacket.  Her eyes opened wide as she realized what had happened.  She tried to pull the trigger but the bullet had shattered her spinal cord and her fingers wouldn't obey the command.  She dropped the gun as her arms dropped and she slid to the floor no longer hearing the baby's screams.  Gianni got off the bed and walked over to her.  With a smile he fired one more round into her forehead. 

Shelly was screaming at the top of her lungs now, the gunshots having made her hysterical, and Gianni calmly put his gun back into his holster and turned to pick up the frantic baby. 

"Shh, shh, my son.  It's alright, caro, I told you ...it's alright," he kept up the endearments for a bit as he tried to calm the baby.

Tony could just see Gina's hand and a part of her upper torso.  His view was obscured by Gianni's legs each time he turned as he paced back and forth, rocking and cooing to Shelly who was wailing and hiccupping in distress.  Desperate tears of helplessness and rage coursed from his eyes.  Jethro...oh, God, Jethro...  He needed to get to Shelly...she needed him and he was stuck laying there with his ass in the air.  He turned so that he tipped to the side but he still couldn't see Shelly.  Gianni, I'll kill you for putting Shelly through this...killing Jethro...Oh, God, please give me my baby...

 

Chapter 42

"Gibbs, Gibbs!" Abby came trotting up excitedly on her six-inch platforms.  "We've got an area...but it's large...well, not for a lot of guys but it's still big..."

"Abby!" Gibbs barked.  He had no time for this.  They already had agents scouring the area around the murder site while Abby, Troy and McGee worked feverishly to try and narrow the search area.  He and Fornell had been gearing up additional agents getting them ready to head out at a moment's notice. 

"Give me an aerial on the screen!" he ordered and in a flash they looked to see what was out there.  A cement plant, a few scattered houses.  He pulled out his cell phone and began re-directing the agents towards that area. 

"McGee, with me.  Abby, when we get close you call McGee and then dial that number, got it?"

"Yes...go!" she shouted and ran to McGee to give him a quick kiss.  "Bring them back!"

McGee nodded and ran to catch up to Gibbs who was flying out of the building.

------------------------------

Tony had no choice.  It was up to him.  Jethro...  He bit back a sob and held Shelly securely in his arms as he looked around hoping for an opening somewhere but he knew it wouldn't be easy.  Even though he was only three months along he wasn't exactly limber and he didn't want to put Shelly down for a moment although she was already getting very heavy.

They got to the car and Gianni gestured to the car seat.  "Put him in and then get in the driver's seat.  We've got time now that the bastard you were fucking is dead. We'll be long gone by the time they figure anything out."

Tony backed out of the back seat after securing Shelly.  As he stepped out he kept his back to Gianni and then suddenly threw himself backwards.  He landed on Gianni and heard his oomph which he followed up with an elbow into Gianni's stomach.  Gianni screamed in pain and Tony rolled off to the side.  He tried to get up but he was too slow and Gianni kicked out hitting him on the hip.  He rolled over and then Gianni was back on him, shoving the gun under his jaw.

"I ought to kill you now and just take Gianni, you fucking bitch," he panted into Tony's face.  "But I need you to take care of Gianni...at least until the trip is over.  Then I'll find someone else to take care of him and you and that bastard you're carrying are dead...you got me?" he growled into Tony's ear.  "One more try and you're dead no matter what..." he promised again and he stood and hauled Tony to his feet.

Tony looked at Gianni and nodded.  He couldn't leave Shelly alone with him.  He was crazy enough to kill her when he found out she wasn't a boy.  Gianni shoved him back towards the car and had him get behind the driver's seat.  Tony sat back as far as he could to allow for both his legs and his belly but Gianni had refused to remove the chains from his wrists so he ended up pushing the seat forward a bit so that he could reach the steering wheel.  He twisted and turned until he was able to secure his seat belt.

Gianni walked around the car and moved into the passenger side holding the gun on Tony the entire time while he held an arm around his stomach.  He groaned as he got into the car and Tony hoped he'd really hurt him...but he just couldn't see how with an elbow to the stomach, one that didn't even have full extension behind it because of the chains.  There was something wrong with him but then there was no more time to wonder about it as Gianni put the key into the ignition and started the engine.  He sat back and Tony saw that he failed to put on his seat belt.

"I can't drive like this, Gianni," Tony said tightly as he tried not to break open the cut in his lip again, as he tried not to scream.  He'd bled a bit, especially after Gianni had slapped him around some more.  It seemed Gianni hadn't been quite ready to kill Gina, yet, and took it out on him.  But he didn't care.  All he cared about was Shelly and the babies he carried.  Jethro's babies.  He thought about Gina.  It was sad really, Gianni had betrayed her, too, but he would have thought that she'd have known Gianni was gay.  She was probably as crazy as Gianni is, he thought to himself.  He tugged his head forward but it didn't move much.  He was glad that the gag had been removed but dismayed when Gianni had then wrapped his leash around the head rest.  He growled to himself. 

"Figure it out, now drive," he ordered.  Tony did, driving slowly at first until he figured out how to steer.  It was completely dark outside, the moon obscured by clouds.  Tony tried to guess the hour but he wasn't sure.  He thought that it might be close to midnight.  He tried desperately to figure out where they were going.  It was all back roads and Gianni gave him directions just prior to the turn required.  Housing lights disappeared behind more and more trees and Tony knew they were headed out deeper into the country.  He wracked his brain trying to figure out what airstrips would be way out here but he really didn't know.  And it didn't matter.  It might take some time but somehow, some way, he was going to kill Gianni.

-----------------------------

Gibbs drove through the night with McGee riding shotgun and Fornell in the back seat holding on for dear life.  They led quite a caravan as they sped through the night with McGee giving Gibbs corrections on their heading via Abby.  They'd dialed the phone and were surprised to find that it wasn't being answered.  It switched to a voicemail system which Abby let run until it timed out and then she re-dialed.  This happened three times until Abby led them to a dark house near the cement plant. 

The caravan stopped a ways down the road and both FBI and NCIS agents fanned out around the building.  It was pitch dark and appeared uninhabited but they approached cautiously nevertheless.  The first ones were the bomb squad and their dogs.  Once they cleared it and everyone was in place the breached the front and kitchen doors simultaneously and fanned through the small building.  Again the bomb squad went first and Gibbs gut churned at the delay but after that last booby trap there was no way they'd go in fast.  Finally they were given the signal and then the rest of the agents moved in with Gibbs leading through the front door and McGee through the kitchen. 

Gibbs heard shouts of ‘clear' as the first team swept the house.   A call went out that a body had been found and Gibbs' gut clenched at the thought that it might be Tony but he blew out a sigh of relief when it was relayed that it was a woman.  After the all clear had been given someone called out "Lights!" and the building lit up and Gibbs turned around and found himself looking down at the body of Gina Cavuto.

He looked around and saw the bar over the bed and a discarded tube of lubricant and he growled deep in his throat.  He turned back and someone was already photographing the body.  After another moment they had her down and were taking a liver temperature reading.  Then he heard someone call to him.  It was Leanna.

He left the bedroom and turned down the hall to find her looking into a bathroom.  He looked in and saw that all over the floor were soft brown curls.  He blew out a breath that almost sounded like a sob and he knelt down to pick up one long intact pincurl and he brought it to his nose.  Shelly.  He felt his chest clench but she was alive.  He was sure of it.  She was just disguised as a little boy, no doubt.  He stood carefully tucking the curl into a pocket of his jacket and called out to McGee.

"What's around here?  Any local airstrips, train stations..."

"Checking," McGee said as he pulled out his laptop and got on the phone with Abby.

Fornell walked up to him.  "She's been dead less than an hour..."

"There's a small commercial airstrip less than 10 miles from here..." McGee called out.

"Let's move!" Gibbs called and most of the agents piled back into their cars leaving a small contingent to process the house.  Fornell had jumped in with his own people and Gibbs briefly noted that Leanna now rode with them.  They sped off into the night.

They were nearing the airport but Gibbs noticed the increasing light...too much light. The airport was shut down for the night but it was still well-lit.  His gut told him that Constantino would never try to make his getaway with so much scrutiny. 

"McGee...what else is around here?"

"Ahh, not much, Boss...wait, looks like there used to be an old airport about five miles further but it's been shut down for years..."

"That's it..." Gibbs muttered as he swung his car 180 degrees and sped down the road passed the FBI vehicles.  They all came to a screeching halt.  Within seconds Gibbs' phone started ringing and he smirked.  He pulled it out.

"Where the hell are you going?" Fornell practically screamed.

"There's another old airport...have some of your folks check this one out and then join us," he said and then closed the phone and kept driving.

Fornell stared at the phone in his hand as the call ended.  Fucking Jethro!  He started dialing and told someone to continue onward and check out the airport.  Then he turned to his driver and barked, "Follow him!"

-----------------------------

Tony drove down the dark tree-lined road.  Occasionally, through some breaks in the trees, he could see flashes of an area that was lighter than the pitch black of the trees but he wasn't sure.  After a bit he realized that it was the airstrip.  Gianni kept an eye on the road and the other eye on Tony as he looked for the access road he wanted that would take them through the trees and to the small plane that was hiding there.

Tony glanced in his rearview.  He could see Shelly sleeping and he tried to formulate a plan but the only thing he could think of scared him because if it didn't go right Shelly could get hurt.  He tried to get ready, even speeded up a bit but in the end he couldn't do it, couldn't deliberately run the car into the trees.  I'm sorry, pumpkin...

"Slow down and turn left up ahead," Gianni instructed and Tony did as he was told.  It was just as they passed the tree line that Tony saw what looked like a drainage ditch on the side of the weed-strewn air strip.  Without second-guessing himself this time he hit the gas and spun the wheel forcing the car to slide out and tip into the drainage ditch and land on its passenger side. 

Gianni, still in pain from the blow to his stomach, was unprepared for the move and without a seatbelt, nothing stopped him from slamming his head against the window when Tony spun the car.  He blacked out.

Tony looked around him as soon as the car came to rest.  He moved slightly to get the pressure off of his collar which was choking him and saw that Gianni seemed to be unconscious.  Shelly was screaming, which at that moment was a great sound, and Tony turned so that he could hold onto the steering wheel.  He managed to bring his legs up and he braced his left leg on the dash and brought his right leg down once, twice, three times on Gianni's head and upper torso.  Then he braced himself and managed to loosen his leash from the head rest.  Standing up on top of Gianni he leaned over to the back seat and quickly checked Shelly.  She seemed to be alright.  He moved back to Gianni to check his pockets but couldn't find the damn key nor could he find Gianni's gun in the dark.  Growling, he stood on Gianni's seat and pushed against the rear passenger door with all of his strength until he got it open.  Then he moved back down and got Shelly out of her seat.  Slowly, and with monumental effort, Tony got Shelly and then himself out of the car. 

Just as he got them down he heard a moan.  Gianni was waking up!  He picked up Shelly and started to run.

 

Chapter 43

Gianni panted as he pulled himself out of the car.  He saw a figure running away and knew it was Anthony with Gianni in his arms and fury engulfed him.  Disregarding his own pain he jumped off the car and took off running after Anthony. 

Anthony heard someone behind him and he sped up but knew in his heart he was just too slow.  It came as no surprise when he felt a hand on his shoulder and then he was hauled backwards by his leash.  Tony fell backwards but managed to break his fall with one arm while still holding onto Shelly with the other.

"Bitch!" Gianni screamed.  As soon as Anthony was down he started raining blows down on him, mindless fury fueling his fists despite the pain he was in.

Tony just curled himself around Shelly as he tried to shield her and his belly from the blows but he was dazed.  He cried out when he felt hands taking Shelly from him.  He tried to hold on but another punch to his head rocked him backwards and he spun away into dizzying darkness.

-------------------------------------

McGee was on the phone with Abby in MTAC.  Vance had gotten satellite imagery of the airfield and even though it was dark they'd detected a slight heat signature at one end of the old runway.  There was either a small engine running or there was something bigger that was under cover, possibly in a building.  They relayed that information to McGee.  Gibbs' response was to press harder on the accelerator.  They were speeding down a tree-lined road when, without warning, Gibbs hit the brakes and turned suddenly down a gravel access road, tires spinning and car fishtailing.  McGee and Leanna held on as the suddenly found themselves at the end of an old cement runway.  Again Gibbs hit the gas and McGee had the sudden impression that soon they would lift off.  He barely heard Abby when she said that the plane was taxiing down the runway.

-----------------------------------

"He's my son!  Let go of him, you bitch!" Gianni growled as he shoved Tony away.  He leaned back and swung, punching Tony on the back of his head and watched as he fell to the ground.  He'd seen the flash of headlights coming towards him so, without a backward glance, he had Gianni and was running towards a copse of trees. 

Within moments Gibbs noted movement off to the side of the runway.  He turned and then his headlights picked up a figure punching someone on the ground.  He threw on his brights and saw Cosntantino running away with something in his arms.  He slammed on his brakes at the edge of the runway and was out and running with McGee and Gonzales hot on his heels.

Gibbs got to Tony and dropped, feeling for a pulse.  He felt one and then shouted for McGee to take care of him as he followed Constantino towards the trees.

Within moments both McGee and Leanna heard the sound of a small plane approaching.  Leanna immediately jumped up and ran to the car.  In seconds she was driving straight into the path of the oncoming aircraft which didn't deviate but continued towards her.  She merely leaned out of her window with her weapon in hand and began firing at the cockpit while maintaining her collision course.  She emptied her weapon and was rewarded by the sudden banking of the craft to the left.  The engine came to a stuttering halt.  She got out of the car and knelt beside her open door while she re-loaded and identified herself.  There was no sound but the plane was then lit up by the headlights of approaching vehicles.  The FBI had arrived.

Gibbs pursued Gianni into the tree line.  Gianni turned and saw Gibbs gaining on him.  He knew he wouldn't be able to outrun him with Gianni in his arms, so he paused and dropped the baby to the ground and then ran into the dark.

Tony had blacked out for only a moment but he opened his eyes to see McGee releasing the cuffs that were attached to the belt he wore. 

"Shelly!" he cried and Tim reached out to help him sit up but instead he struggled to get up.

"Easy, Tony, you're hurt..."

"Go!  Go get her..." Tony said desperately and he pushed McGee who didn't argue but did begin running towards the trees.  Tony struggled to get up and, although slow and in pain, he followed, too.

Gibbs saw Gianni slip Shelly to the ground as he ran and she screamed as the cold, wet grass surrounded her.  Gibbs knelt down beside her but it was so dark he couldn't see much.  Her screams reassured him though and he turned back to see McGee running up, a lighter silhouette in the dark of the night.  Behind him he could see barely make out another figure limping towards them.  Tony.  But at least he's moving and Constantino was still out there.  He heard McGee say ‘go' so with a swift hand over his daughter's shorn head he left her and followed Cosntantino into the dark.

Gianni stumbled on another root and pain shot through his side.  It had all gone to hell. Fucking Anthony.  He paused to lean against a tree as he tried to catch his breath but then he heard a branch break behind him and he knew that bastard Gibbs was behind him.  He began to run again but he'd delayed too long and he felt Gibbs catch him from behind and pull him to the ground.  Gianni countered with a kick which landed hard but it didn't stop the man towering over him.  He felt a hand grab a hold of his shoulder and then a fist found its way to his stomach.  He bent over and felt blood rush into his mouth but strangely, it didn't really hurt.  It also didn't stop him and he countered with some well-placed blows of his own but he really wasn't a match for a pissed off Marine, not that he knew Gibbs' history.  All he knew was that Gibbs had narrowed his world down into a bright ball of painful fists and kicks as Gibbs beat the shit out of him. 

Gibbs fisted his hands in Constantino's fancy shirt and pulled him up off the ground glaring, into the face of the man who had caused so much pain to those he loved and he shoved the muzzle of his gun against Constantino's head. 

"You can kill me but my son and my name will live on," Gianni gasped still lost in his make-believe world where Anthony and Gianni were his.

"Your son?  Are you really that clueless?  Tony and I have a daughter.  Her name is Shelly Caitlin Gibbs.  My daughter, you bastard...and no one will ever remember your name."

But as he pushed the barrel harder into Gianni's forehead he thought neither of Tony nor of Shelly.  He was remembering the other family he couldn't protect.  But this time he had.  It would only take a small squeeze to be sure of it. The SIG Sauer P220 .45 caliber required only five pounds of pressure to put an end to the bastard and he caressed the trigger slightly.

"Gibbs!" Fornell called but it seemed so far away.  All Gibbs could really hear was a loud rush in his ears as rage flooded through him.  He felt the trigger under his finger, the metal warm against his skin and he wanted with everything in him to just end it then and there but again he heard his name called.  It was enough to break through his fixation and he took a deep breath regretting instantly that he'd lost the opportunity to kill Constantino.  For a split second he contemplated pulling the trigger anyway but if he did, regardless of how satisfying it would be, he would lose everything of importance. 

"You're not worth it."   He said as he threw Constantino back on the ground.  He looked up and saw Fornell and several agents run up.  He stood up and turned to go back to Shelly who was sitting on the ground screaming at the top of her lungs although she was cradled up against Tony who was sobbing.  Both of them were lit up by the headlights of the various cars giving them a glow that was almost surreal.  He rushed up to them and dropped to his knees laying his gun on the ground beside him knowing he wouldn't feel any relief until he had them both safe in his arms, until he was holding tight to the most important people in the world.

"Daa-eee!"  Shelly cried as she frantically put one arm around Gibbs while still holding desperately to Tony. 

"Jethro..." Tony cried as he pulled him into his arms.  McGee had said he was alive but he hadn't believed it until that moment.

Tony didn't know what made him glance up but he saw the agents carry Gianni out of the trees to lay him on the ground but in a flash of movement he saw Gianni push an agent away and lift a gun in their direction, an open cuff dangling from his wrist.

"No!" Tony screamed as he pulled Gibbs and Shelly to the side just as a shot sounded.  Gibbs had his arm around Tony and without thought Gibbs' hand found his sig and he had it up and fired.

Peripherally Gibbs saw several agents also raise their weapons but Gibbs was already squeezing off a second round even though he knew the first had found its mark.   He watched as Gianni jerked and then fall backwards, his arms outstretched as he hit the ground, his forehead showing the marks where Gibbs had double-tapped him.  This time, Gibbs knew he was dead.  It seemed distant but Gibbs realized that Shelly was still screaming.  Actually, she was screaming in his ear.  That had been too damn close and again he regretted not killing him when he'd had the chance.

Leaving the FBI to handle Gianni, Gibbs turned back to Tony and Shelly and brought them closer.

"Shh, baby, it's alright, now.  Daddy's got you."  He murmured quietly as he placed small kisses over Shelly's face.  He placed his Sig on the ground and wrapped his hand around Tony's nape to pull him in closer and then turned his head to claim Tony in a deep kiss.  They were safe.  His family was safe.  He'd been able to stop the bastard this time.  He felt tears of joy and gratitude even as he again lamented the family he hadn't been able to protect.  This time, though, he'd got it right.

 

Epilogue

In the weeks that followed Gibbs watched over his family as they healed.  Shelly's sleep had suffered only slightly but mostly she still seemed fearful when out of her family's presence.  Gerry was sure that would fade in time.  Tony, though, still suffered from his nightmares and Gibbs knew they would never completely go away, just as the memories from the rest of Tony's painful past still came back to haunt him.  But they were working on it together, and with Gerry's help.  It would just take a bit of time which they now had and he was sure things would just bet better.

-------------------------------

Several months later...

Gibbs walked into the kitchen with his groceries and set them down on the large center island.  He immediately alerted to the fact that the house was quiet.  With his hand on his sig he peeked into the living room.  It was empty.  Gun down he moved into the family room and saw his Dad who raised a finger to his lips and then gestured to the couch.  Gibbs let his breath out in a soundless sigh as he holstered his gun.  He looked at his father and saw sad understanding in his eyes.  They all needed more time, but it was getting better.  With two more steps he was around the couch and he looked down and saw a heavily pregnant Tony asleep with Shelly curled up next to him, tucked securely in his arms.  His heart swelled at the sight and he smiled first at them and then at Dad.

A slight change in breathing let him know that Tony was beginning to stir.  He watched with unknowingly bated breath as the gold-tipped eyelashes fluttered and then those beautiful green eyes slipped open and a smile broke out when Tony saw him.  That immediate smile never ceased to amaze Gibbs and he bent down to claim it as his own, which it was.  With a gentle hand so as not to awaken Shelly, he lightly touched the soft wispy curls that covered her small head.  He'd missed them while they were gone.  He wondered briefly what his twins would look like.  It would be soon but he found it hard to wait.  He decided he was lucky, just as Tobias had said.

-----------------------------

Three weeks later...

Gibbs watched as the nurse strapped the second plastic band around his wrist.  Two matching blue bands announcing Gibbs Boy #1 and Gibbs Boy #2.  He looked over the nurse's shoulder at another nurse who was placing the second baby blue-capped baby into the same type of rolling crib as the first and his chest tightened a fraction more.  He thought his heart would burst.  Soon the three of them would go to Tony's room together.  Then it would be the four of them for a little while and later Dad and the team would bring Shelly.  Three children...three beautiful children. 

Later, when things settled down and they had more of a routine, Gibbs would tell Tony what it was he was planning.  Maybe Tony would be unhappy, but then, maybe not.  He was sure he would understand how right it was.  But later...that would come later.  Right now he just wanted to bask in how his luck had changed because of Tony, his second chance at life.

---------------------------

Two years later...

Tony hung up the phone.  He was beaming and he'd tell Jethro as soon as he got there.  Elated, he looked around at his team, or at least those that were there.  Tim was his Second and he couldn't ask for a finer one although Leanna had come close.  But she had her own team now with Troy as her Second.  It had worked out well.  Ziva had just gone out on maternity leave so she was at home with Damon and their little boy, Aaron Nathaniel.  That just left his Probie, an ex-Marine cop with a lot of common sense but with a bit of a stick up his ass.  Good guy, though, and he accepted Tony and his family without any problems.  He kind of reminded him of Cait when she'd first gotten there.  But between him and Tim, they'd eventually have Special Agent Simon Donovan mellowed out.  All in all, life was good and he felt like the luckiest man in the world. 

"Hey, McMonster...you going to lunch?"

Tim rolled his eyes at the name but at least it was better than the other name Tony occasionally called him...McFertility God.  Just because they figured Abby had gotten pregnant on their wedding night. 

"Yup, as soon as Abby is done feeding Charlie," he answered with a smile as he thought of his five-month old daughter, Charlotte Angelique. 

Tony nodded, anxious now for his family to arrive so that they could go to lunch.  Jethro had taken the twins to their check-up and they were due to come by any minute.  He was startled from his reverie by the shouts of "Mama!" and he jumped a bit, giving Tim a dirty look when he saw him smiling broadly.  No doubt he'd seen them approaching and he wondered, yet again, how Jethro had managed to teach their kids to sneak up on him so proficiently.  Leave it to a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, he told himself.

Within seconds he had his arms full of two two-year old boys planting sloppy kisses on his cheeks.  He looked down at them with a big smile as each boy straddled one of his legs.  "And how was your doctor's visit today?" he asked each grinning boy.

"Good!" said Donny showing Tony his lollipop.

"Bad..." said the more serious Jack as he pointed out the band-aid over his latest immunization which Tony bent down and kissed earning him a bright smile.

"Me, too!" said Donny and then he received the same healing benediction.

They weren't identical twins but they looked close enough alike that most people thought they were.  They had the same straight, dark hair and fair skin but with a curious shade of bluish-green eyes, Donald James' being slightly greener than his brother Jackson Timothy's.  Still, though, both boys were the spitting image of their father who took that opportunity to lean down to kiss his husband hello.

Jethro looked at his husband with a smile. That seems to be all he did ever since he'd decided to retire to look after the kids and his Dad.  Tony had argued at first thinking that Jethro would get bored but that had proven to be very far from the truth since the kids kept him extremely busy and he had finally formed a great relationship with his Dad.  Truthfully, it had been one of the best decisions they'd ever made.

After the kiss Tony looked over to see that Dad had made it with Shelly holding him by the hand.  He'd slowed down a bit but Dad remained in good health overall.  He claimed it was the energy he got from the kids and Tony hoped it was true.  He called out a greeting to them and Shelly stopped ‘helping' Grampa long enough to run over to give Tony a hello kiss and Tony smiled down at her.  She wore a pretty little yellow dress with white sunflowers which was complimented by the white and yellow ribbons holding her long curly hair in two pigtails.

"Hi, pumpkin," Tony greeted his oldest child.

"Hi, Mama," Shelly responded. 

Try as they might, neither Tony nor Jethro had ever been able to get her to stop calling Tony ‘Mama'.  And later on the twins had picked it up as well so Tony knew he would forever be Mama, which he accepted since basically that's who he was.

After a few more kisses and some well-placed tickles Tony got the kids off of his lap and told Tim that they were going to lunch.  And as he stood he felt Jethro's arm come around his waist and he looked into those blue eyes he loved so well easily reading the question he saw there.  He turned and slipped his arms around Jethro with a smile, kissed Jethro once again and then whispered into his husband's ear. 

"Stan called and the tests are back...round three's a go."

 

The End