RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Chapter 39

“Boss, this is Jesus Morales,” McGee said as he brought the picture up on the big screen. Next he brought up another picture. “And this is Carlo Scarpetta. They are the only two who served with Godwin that reside in the local area and match Godwin’s description.”

Without skipping a beat Ziva continued their brief.

“Morales is working as a paramedic with D.C. Medical Transport. He has a good record with the company, drives a 2004 Toyota Camry and appears to be financially stable. There is no record of his owning any firearms.”

“Scarpetta, on the other hand,” McGee continued, “is indigent. He’s been arrested numerous times for both public intoxication and possession. He lists a P.O. Box as his address but there’s no indication that he owns a vehicle or firearms.”

“Bring them both in. I’ve got a hunch you might find out about Scarpetta at the same bar where you found Godwin. I want to know if they’ve seen Godwin or maybe know where his car is.”

“On it, Boss,” McGee answered and he and Ziva left deciding on Morales first since he had a valid home address.

------------------------------

Dan finished the last of his preparations. He was looking forward to seeing the report of this on the news later. For now he needed to get out of there so he began to walk away from Carlo’s sedan making sure to keep his steps on the gravel that he knew would leave no impressions of his steps. Not that it really mattered, the entire area would be substantially disturbed shortly and he smiled. With that thought in mind he carefully made his way back to his SUV.

----------------------------

Tony got off the phone with Dad. He’d called to check up on him and to tell him that it looked as though they would be home on time. Even though they’d gotten him one of those senior emergency alarms in case he had any problems, Tony still liked to call a couple of times a day to check for himself and Dad had yet to complain about it. Tony kind of figured he was getting lonely being at home all day. They had yet to decide what to do about it.

When he was done he looked at his team. They were all quietly working to complete their reports from the latest case. They’d done a good job and he was going to send them home as soon as they were done. He, on the other hand, was looking at homes that were up for sale. There were a couple that seemed interesting, one in particular having four bedrooms, three and a half baths as well as an in-law suite on the first floor. The cool part, as far as Tony was concerned, was that along with a three-car garage it had a workroom with dimensions that Tony thought would be ample for boat-building. It had a large fenced in yard with mature trees and appeared to be in a good neighborhood. Jethro’s team was on call that weekend but he hoped it stayed quiet so that they could see some of these houses. He decided to talk to Jethro that night and together they’d decide which ones to make an appointment to see.

------------------------------

Gianni sat in the rental car with Gina. They listened to the police scanner and waited for the transmission that would signal the start of the final phase of Gianni’s grand plan. It had been a long time in coming, mostly because of his own health, but also because he’d had to gather more resources in order to pay back the treatment he’d received from DiNozzo and the Families. Finally, he’d had to make arrangements for his own little family. For that he needed information and that had surprisingly come from Carlo. But it had been Carlo’s last and best job. He’d found out that Anthony was working…it seemed like such a joke to learn that pregnant Anthony was again a Fed. But it did add a few more concerns to the overall execution of the plan since there’d be a little more excitement over taking Anthony and his son. But what was kidnapping when compared to the murder of a Federal Agent? Hopefully, they’d be long gone before any connection would be made between taking Anthony and the death of Gibbs.
He saw Gina looking through the shopping bag, removing tags and packing all of the contents into the diaper bag she’d bought. She set it down next to the car seat she’d installed. They had another bag with the special items he’d had her get and he relished the thought of using them. Soon, the plan would play out. He leaned back and closed his eyes all the while listening for that one transmission.

-----------------------------

It was nearly 5PM when Jethro got a call about a dead sailor. He wasn’t sure what was going on. An anonymous 911 call had gone to the local LEOs about a dead body. When they got there they found one of Gibbs’ cards on the body so they’d radioed in requesting his presence at the crime scene. This irked Gibbs because that meant that the police officers had disturbed the body and had probably trampled all over the crime scene. With a snarl he picked up his cell phone and called McGee.

“Where are you at? We got a case,” he said.

“On our way, Boss,” McGee answered and rolled his eyes. So much for going home at a decent hour tonight.

“What have you got so far?” Gibbs asked.

“Morales hasn’t seen Godwin since he picked him up when someone reported a sick man in an alley. He was drunk. The report checks out with his employer. We looked at his car but the tires don’t match the vehicle that was behind your house, so no switched plates. No trace on Scarpetta, yet, although that bartender at Paulie’s did say he saw him buying drinks for Godwin on a couple of occasions,” McGee said in between gasps. Ziva was driving. “No sign of him lately, though. Bartender figures he got a job since he’s been flashing some money around.”

“Paulie’s the same bar where you found Godwin?”

“Yes…whoa Ziva! Would you slow down?” McGee hissed and Gibbs smirked.

“We’ll be there in five, Boss…but I’m not sure if it’ll be in one piece,” McGee said in exasperation but Gibbs had hung up. McGee put his phone away, closed his eyes and held on.

After hanging up Gibbs went to see Tony. Tony was sitting alone in his area which meant he’d already sent his team home. As soon as Jethro stepped into Tony’s bullpen he looked up.

“You’ve got a case?” he said without preamble.

“Yeah, why don’t you go on home. I’ll be there as soon as I can,” Jethro said as he leaned over Tony’s shoulder to see what was on Tony’s computer screen. He smiled when he saw several inside views of a nice house and he kissed Tony on his temple. “We’ll look at these together then, okay?”

Tony smiled and looked up. “Count on it,” he said with another quick kiss to Jethro’s mouth. “Call me,” Tony said and Jethro nodded. Then he shut everything down and with a quick squeeze to Jethro’s arm left to get Shelly so that they could go home.

-----------------------------

Gianni heard the request for Special Agent Gibbs over the radio and he smiled. Time to get his family.

A short while later Tony walked into the house with Shelly in his arms and the diaper bag over his shoulder. He called out to his Dad while he dropped the diaper bag and removed his and Shelly’s coats in the entryway. There was no answer so he called out again but by then his gut was tingling and he reached for his gun. Shelly had started to walk away and he made a grab for her. She howled in protest but he pulled her behind him and kept his hand clamped on the back of her jumper. Gun up he peered around the corner and saw Jack stretched out and apparently asleep on the couch.

“Jack?” he called again as he scanned the room. Shelly was making a huge fuss and starting to cry but he concentrated on moving forward to check on Jack who hadn’t stirred regardless of the ruckus Shelly was now making. He feared letting go of Shelly so he used his gun hand to check for Jack’s pulse. He’d just felt it when a voice he’d hoped he’d never hear again told him not to move. He froze with his eyes still on Dad and he felt a chill in his heart.

“Drop it and put both of your hands up. He’s not dead yet, Anthony. But make one move and that won’t be the case,” Gianni said.

Tony dropped his gun and raised his gun hand but fear kept his other hand clamped on Shelly.

“Both hands, Anthony,” Gianni warned. “NOW!” he yelled and Tony finally let go of Shelly who ran off crying.
He felt someone feeling him for his weapon. He had a moment of hope but it was dashed as Gianni told Gina to also check his legs. Shit, Cavuto! She did and found his back-up. She also had his cuffs and after a moment, gloved hands placed them securely around Tony’s wrists.

“Gianni, let me see to Jack and then you can have me, okay? Just leave Jack and the baby alone.” Tony still had his back to Gianni and he started to turn around but he was stopped by a hand to his arm.

“Shut up, Anthony. Don’t you dare try to tell me what to do, you faithless bitch,” Gianni growled into his ear.

Then Tony felt a pin prick and his eyes widened. “Nooo!” he managed to cry out but the drug was fast-acting and he slumped. Gina and Gianni held him while he slid soundlessly to the floor. Together they dragged him out to the garage where their car was hidden. Gina ran back into the house and grabbed the baby returning a few moments later. She’d grabbed a bottle out of the other diaper bag and Shelly was finally quiet as she sucked on it while Gina strapped her in the car seat. Gianni smiled as he started the car and calmly drove out of the garage.

---------------------------

Gibbs and his team drove up to the warehouse to find two local police cars with their lights flashing. As they exited their vehicle they noted how close the two police cars were to the body and he cursed again. What the hell happened to standard procedure? Didn’t these idiots know about setting perimeters? He marched up to the first officer and growled his name and then proceeded to order them to move their vehicles back. Then he got his team to set up lighting from their van. It was already cold, wet and would be dark soon and he wanted to get this done as quickly as possible. His gut was tingling again but he didn’t know why.

The officer in charge, Landis, was immediately pissed off at the attitude of the oldest Agent. Yeah, he knew his rookie had parked a little close but that didn’t warrant the arrogant attitude. Still, it was going to be their crime scene. He should just turn it over and get the hell out but then he’d have to go and tell his boss that his golden nephew had messed up the crime scene. He didn’t relish that, either. With a growl he decided it was best to just hang around a bit with the story that he figured it would be a benefit to let the boss’s nephew watch the Feds in action. That should cover his ass at least a little bit. With a hand motion he had the other response car move back and he looked around. Where the hell was Robbie now? The little fucker had wandered off again. Yeah, Landis figured he’d make as fine a police officer as his uncle did. Wonderful. He got in the car and moved it back.

“What’ve you got, Duck?” Gibbs asked as he knelt beside Ducky.

“What appears to be two gunshot wounds to the heart, both well placed, either of them would have killed him instantly,” Ducky said as he watched the temperature gauge he’d slid into the young man’s liver.

“Seaman First Class Andrew McAvoy, Machinist Mate assigned to the USS Potomoc which just arrived in port yesterday,” Ziva reported a little while later. “He failed to report to duty this morning.”

“Which was inevitable as it appears he died nearly eighteen hours ago,” Ducky announced as he peered at his gauge and Gibbs nodded. He looked over and saw McGee snapping photos of the scene as they worked.

“Ziva, spread out. Someone dumped his body out in the open for a reason and then left. See what you can find.”
Ziva immediately began to search in concentric circles away from the body.

Landis watched as the well-oiled team moved about doing their jobs. He envied their professionalism and he scanned the area for Robbie again. What the fuck was he up to? He should be watching this. He thought he saw the kid go over to the other side of the warehouse and started in that direction when he heard a shout. That pretty little agent came running from off to the right and was moving pretty fast but he was closer. He’d just turned the corner when he heard her yelling at Robbie to stop. It was like slow motion in a movie. He saw Robbie reach for the door of the sedan and he caught a glimpse of the body sitting in the driver’s seat when suddenly the world disappeared in a flash of blinding light.


Chapter 40

Tony moaned and tried to lift his arms. He couldn’t and he struggled to open his eyes. He saw his hands chained to the belt strapped around his chest and he thought he was back at Gianni’s house as fear and confusion coursed through him. He tried to sit up but couldn’t. The leash around his neck was too short.

“No, no, no,” he moaned and frantically looked around. He wasn’t at Gianni’s house. But he was chained again to a bed in a small run-down room. Shelly! Where was Shelly?
“Shelly!” he screamed and the door opened. Gianni walked in.

“Where’s my daughter, you bastard? Where’s Shelly?” Tony growled as he surged forward against the chains.

Gianni stared at Anthony. What in the hell was he talking about? They had a son. And Gina was making his son presentable. But they had to hurry. They were leaving on a flight in a few hours.

“Gina is cleaning our son up…you had him dressed in a ridiculous outfit. He had earrings! What the fuck were you thinking? My son is no effeminate fag to be parading around in earrings! From now on, Anthony, Gina will care for our son and when your other brat is born I may just keep him as Gianni’s companion…if you behave.”

“What? Are you insane…?” Tony couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Just then the door opened and in walked Gina carrying Shelly. All of her curls were gone. Instead she had a super short, almost military haircut and she wore little black pants and shoes and a white button down shirt complete with a little tie and vest. She was playing with a little truck.

“You bitch!” Tony screamed when he saw his little girl. These fuckers were completely insane. “You have to know she’s a girl, Gina! What’s the matter with you?”

Gina stared at Anthony, every ounce of hatred she was capable of visible in her eyes which Tony saw clearly. Oh, we are so fucked…

Shelly whimpered at Tony’s raised voice and Gianni snarled at Tony. “Don’t you dare start with your lies, cunt! You deliberately tried to hide my son from me…”

“No, Gianni, please listen…Shelly is a girl. You have a daughter…”

“No!” Gianni said and he took a step towards Tony and viciously backhanded him across the face. Gianni went to Gina and took Shelly from her arms.

Tony’s head reeled from the slap that had also split his lip. He saw Gianni cradling Shelly, swaying softly back and forth as he soothed her.

“Lá, lá, il mio figlio caro,” Gianni crooned to Shelly as he rocked her back and forth. (There, there, my darling son.) “That’s what you have to do to your wife sometimes to keep them in line, but I’ll teach you all about that when you’re older, caro.”

Tony was in shock. Gianni’s gone mad, he’s insane…

Shelly quieted and stared at Gianni. He patted his chest and said “Papa.” Then he repeated himself.

“No, Gianni…” Tony begged quietly, every move Gianni making his chest ache as he protested everything Gianni was doing…had done.

Gianni looked at Tony for a moment and then at Gina. He jerked his head at her and she moved to Tony. She had a rag in her hand and took great pleasure in gagging Tony.
Tony fought but there wasn’t much he could do because of his restraints. He turned again to Gianni to see him breaking off tiny pieces of chocolate and within moments he had Shelly calling him Papa. It broke Tony’s heart.
Then Gianni turned to Tony and continued the lesson. He pointed to Tony and said “Mama.”

Tears flooded Tony’s eyes when Shelly again repeated the word obediently and earned another sliver of chocolate. Gianni lowered her to Tony.

“Give Mama a kiss,” Gianni said and Shelly did. Neither man nor child noticed when Gina slipped from the room.

---------------------------

Gibbs rolled over and in a flash he was checking his people. Ducky, Palmer and McGee were fine having been shielded from most of the blast by the warehouse. Ziva, though, lay in a crumpled heap closer to the now burning car. He reached her side and carefully checked for a pulse. He found one although it was weak. He turned towards the other officers and noted one radioing in for help while the other rushed to Officer Landis. Carefully, Gibbs was checking her over for broken bones when Ducky arrived at his side. After another moment Palmer showed up with Ducky’s medical bag. Gibbs moved aside and went to the other officer who was kneeling beside Officer Landis. He was dead. The officer just looked up at Gibbs and then over to the car which was still engulfed in flames. Through the flames Gibbs could just make out the plates. It was Godwin’s sedan. Then his eyes took in the bloody dent in the side of the warehouse. At the base of the dent was a burning heap that had been the young rookie. Gibbs reached out to squeeze the shoulder of the kneeling officer. He didn’t know his name. Then he moved back to Ziva and told Ducky that the other two were dead. Ducky nodded his head but continued his ministrations without looking up. Gibbs heard the sound of sirens. He saw McGee on the phone, no doubt calling in to NCIS and nodded to himself. McGee was a good agent. He moved back to Ducky but didn’t interrupt. Ducky would tell him when he had a moment.

Gibbs sat back and surveyed the scene. The Fire Department was en route and he had to preserve as much as he could before they got there. He ran over to pick up McGee’s camera and began clicking away, all the while thinking about what they had. Suddenly he stopped and grabbed his cell phone and called Tony. There was no answer. He was too far out in the country to get home in any decent amount of time but his stomach was churning. He quickly dialed NCIS and had some agents go to his house and then he requested backup at the site but was told they were already en route. Good job, McGee. So what in the hell had happened?

The dead sailor had been a decoy. His card was on the body which ensured local LEOs would call him. Specifically him. Whether or not he was on call he’d still show up at the site. The car had been hidden behind the warehouse to ensure it wasn’t immediately found. It was far enough that it wouldn’t be found until NCIS was processing the scene. It had been wired to explode when someone opened the door, probably an NCIS agent. But if it was intended for him how could they be sure he would be close enough? Because somehow the bastard knew how their investigations progressed. Maybe had watched him process other scenes. Gibbs would have been on top of it because he was the Team Lead and he oversaw the entire process and stayed close…he sent his agents to investigate the area but they always called him when they found something. Yes, he would have been at the car when someone opened the door to look closer. If that rookie hadn’t gotten there first and, in his excitement and inexperience, opened the door it would have been his team, or most of it, killed in the resulting explosion. He felt a chill run down his spine and he looked at the phone in his hand willing it to ring to tell him that Tony and Shelly were safe at home with Dad.
The Fire Department was now on site and he turned at the touch on his arm. It was Ducky.

“Paramedics are with Ziva. She has a severe concussion and bruising to her face and torso from the blast. I’m going to the hospital with her. Palmer will continue here as he remains unhurt. You will find out who did this, Jethro,” Ducky said and then turned and left but Jethro wasn’t sure if it was a command or a statement of faith. Either way, it was what he would do.

“McGee!” he called and in a flash he was at Gibbs’ side.

“Yeah, Boss,” he said and Gibbs saw several scrapes to his face but otherwise his eyes were clear…and angry.

“I think this was a setup aimed at us. I’ve got agents headed to my place to check on Tony…”

Gibbs was interrupted by his phone and he answered. “Damnit! How is he? Okay, Gonzales, get a team in there and process everything, you got that?”

Gibbs turned to McGee. “Tony and Shelly are gone. My Dad was hit on the head. He’s on his way to the hospital with a concussion. I’m headed home. You’re in charge here. Find out what you can and meet me back at NCIS,” he said as he ran to his car.

McGee was in shock but it only lasted a moment. In a flash he was talking to one of the officers to relate their suspicions and then he moved back to Palmer’s side. Ziva and Ducky were already in the back of the ambulance so they were safe for now. He scanned the area around them but the area was pretty open. The officers were calling in a bomb squad. The fire was out but the Fire Department was now pulling back until they were given the all clear from the bomb squad. He knew Gibbs was right. The sailor had been a decoy to get them but they needed to find out why. He helped Jimmy get the body into a body bag and loaded on the gurney. They needed the other body but that would also have to wait until the area was cleared. He wouldn’t risk anyone with the possibility of a second bomb. They stayed under cover in the van and McGee kept himself busy first by calling Abby to let her know what was happening. He had to hold the phone away from his ear to keep her wail from piercing his eardrum. After he calmed her down he returned to sketching the crime scene and praying that Tony and Shelly were alright.

------------------------------

Gibbs made it to the hospital in record time. While en route he received calls about the status on both his father and Ziva and also received updates from the team at his house. Dad was stable but still unconscious. Ziva was the same. Gibbs also called Fornell. He wanted the FBI information on the previous bombings. He was sure they were set by the same person who’d rigged the sedan. Fornell said he’d meet him at the hospital Gibbs told himself he wouldn’t shoot Fornell on sight although he desperately wanted to shoot someone. Gibbs also suspected the body in the sedan was Carlo Scarpetta and that the sedan was the same one at his house on both occasions and again he felt unreasoning fury at Fornell because Gibbs knew Constantino was behind everything and the FBI had let him slip through their fingers.

Fornell slowed his steps as he approached the emergency room but Gibbs must have some kind of sixth sense because he came charging through the waiting room as soon as Fornell stepped inside. Immediately Fornell put his hands up. Gibbs marched up to him but stopped inches from his face, fury written in every inch of his body.

“Jethro, we’ve got all our people looking for some sign of Cosntantino…” he began and immediately knew it was the wrong tack to take.

“So now you believe me?! Now that Tony and Shelly are missing, my Dad and Ziva are both hurt and three innocent men are dead?” he barked.

Several heads in the waiting room turned at that last bit and Fornell grabbed Jethro by the arm and dragged him outside. Jethro yanked his arm out of Fornell’s grasp.

“I’ve got my bomb squad working with your men at the site. There were no more explosive devices but they did say the bomber was the same,” Fornell said. From the glare in Jethro’s eyes he figured he’d already deduced that.

“We’ve got every airport, train station and port on the lookout. Your director had the media blocked from releasing the names of the officers that were killed. We agree with you…this was aimed at your team so we want them to think they succeeded…”

“And if Tony hears it, so will he…”

“That can’t be helped and you know it, Jethro,” Fornell said and Gibbs knew he was right. From the sound of things it had already been decided that it would be a joint investigation and he nodded. He wanted every bit of manpower he could get on this.

Gibbs heard his phone ring. It was McGee. He listened for a bit and then said that he was going to stay at the hospital for a bit longer and that then he’d meet them at NCIS.

“Wait,” he spit out before he hung up. “Get Morales back in. I want to talk to him…yeah, I’ll tell them,” he finished and then hung up.

“Bomb squad cleared the site. McGee’s still processing the site and Palmer’s on his way back with the bodies,” Jethro said.

“Who’s Morales?” Fornell wondered.

“He served with Godwin, the guy who owns that sedan that blew up. Godwin’s in custody but he doesn’t know much. I think the body in the sedan is a guy named Scarpetta. He served with the other two. I want to know how he’s linked to Constantino,” Gibbs said.

Fornell was surprised. Jethro rarely shared this much about his cases so he figured Jethro was still in a little bit of shock over his family and Agent David.

“I could talk to Morales…” he began, “let you stay here until your people are more settled…”

Jethro was torn. He needed to be here for Dad and for Ziva, but Tony and Shelly were out there with that bastard. He needed to work the case but Morales was his only lead and it was a slim one at that.

“Go, get started. I’ll be there as soon as I can,” he said trusting in Fornell.

Fornell knew just what it had cost Jethro to say that. He reached out with a squeeze to his arm and left.

Jethro returned to the emergency room and found Ducky on the phone. He listened in and realized Ducky was speaking with Palmer. They made eye contact and the he walked into the treatment room to sit with his father. That’s where Ducky found him a few moments later.

“Ziva has awakened, she will be fine. I saw your father’s x-rays. He has a skull fracture but there doesn’t seem to be any swelling at this point. His doctor feels he should awaken shortly and from what I saw I concur,” he paused at the open relief in Jethro’s eyes. “I was instructing Palmer to remove the bullets from our sailor so that Abby can begin her work. I understand she is, quite literally, climbing the walls. Jimmy has begun the x-ray of our well-done friend. I just wanted to tell you that I feel I should go back, now that Ziva is awake and you are at your father’s side, so that I may begin the autopsies,” Ducky concluded to an unusually quiet Jethro.

Jethro nodded and turned back to his father but not before Ducky caught the haunted look in his eyes. Ducky placed a hand on his arm. “We will find them, Jethro, you have to have faith in that.”

Knowing there was no more he could say, Ducky left to return to NCIS.