RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 

Chapter 31

"I wanna see what he looks like," Carlo whispered as he tried to rise up on his toes to look in the window.  He swayed and Gina steadied him with a little giggle.

"OH MY GOD!  GODDAMN, HE'S HUGE!" Carlo said when he finally saw Tony stand up to move into the kitchen. 

Carlo slipped back down and dropped his bottle spilling some of the precious contents onto the snow.

"Jesus, what'd make a man do that!" he asked in a shocked voice.

"Tol' you...Gianni did it to ‘em.  I coulda given him a baby...din' need no whore boy..."

Gina thought about Tony and thought about Gianni and got furious all over again.  She leaned against Carlo's shoulders and saw Tony returning to his seat.  That bastard...had what she wanted.  She looked around and noticed some rock near the neighbor's yard; she went over and picked one up.

"Hold it, Gina, hold it...lemme...electric switch...yeah, you throw that through the window and I'll hit the power.  Let's give them a little scare, huh?" Carlo said with glee.  He pulled a gun from his pocket and he was sure he could hit the streetlight.  He laughed to himself.  This should be fun and then they can get away back to the warm car and maybe Gina'll let him get at her some more.

Gina nodded and hefted the rock in her gloved hand.  At Carlo's nod she pitched the rock through the window.  She heard someone say something inside and then Carlo hit the lights and took two shots at the streetlight, hitting it on the second shot while Gina pitched more rocks through some windows.  Carlo threw some, too.

"What the..." Jack yelled as a rock sailed through the living room window.  He struggled to get up just as Tony was rolling off the couch to the side.  The rock was followed by gunshots.

"Get down, Dad!" Tony hissed and Jack ducked down behind the couch.

Tony couldn't see if Jack was down or not because another rock sailed through the window spraying shards of glass all over him.  Just at that moment he felt a massive tightening across his belly and he groaned.

Jethro had been sanding his boat when he heard the sound of breaking glass.  He was two steps from the staircase when he heard the first gunshot and he pulled his weapon.  He'd started carrying it at all times as soon as the agents had been pulled.  It felt good in his hand as he slipped up the stairs just as the lights went out.

"Tony, you hit?" Jack asked from somewhere behind the couch. 

Tony panted through the pain cursing himself for not going to the hospital.

"I'm okay, the baby..." Tony ducked as more glass sprayed over him.

"Stay down," Jethro growled from somewhere behind Tony and he suddenly felt relief flood through him.  A hand touched his shoulder and he felt small bits of glass rain down around him.  "Cell phone," he heard and felt something touch his hand but then the comforting presence moved away and he suddenly felt all of the cold air rushing in from the broken windows.  He quickly dialed for help while in the background he heard Jethro asking his dad if he was okay.

 "Fine, son...but Tony...the baby..." Jack said and Gibbs answered ‘yeah' before moving from one window to another but saw no movement outside.

Just then Tony felt another pain grip him and he groaned.

"Tony!" Jethro called from somewhere to Tony's left.

"Help's coming, I'm okay...go..." Tony gasped.

Jethro took a deep breath and moved towards the front door and slowly opened it.  He heard a car start up in the distance cautiously moved through the door.  Everything was dark outside, lit only by a sliver moon and the neighbors' lights.  Jethro cautiously moved outside and heard sirens coming in the distance.  It didn't take long to learn that whoever had been there was now gone.  Moving carefully so as not to disturb more of the area around his house, Jethro made his way to the side of the house and found the electrical panel.  A second later lights flooded the house just as a police unit arrived.

He holstered his weapon and called to the officers.  He came around the corner with his hands up and identified himself.  A second later McGee jumped out of his car.

"That's Special Agent Gibbs, officers," he called to the LEOs as he pulled his own badge and they dropped their weapons. 

Gibbs lost no time and ran back into the house to see Tony curled up on the floor clutching his stomach.  He had small trails of blood dripping down his face as did Jack who was rubbing his shoulders and whispering for him to breathe through the pain.

Gibbs was at Tony's side in an instant, carefully brushing away the broken glass. 

"Ambulance is on the way..." McGee said as he entered.  "Is he shot?" he asked in wide-eyed fear.

"No...labor," Gibbs answered as he too coached Tony through the breathing exercises they'd talked about.  Tony hadn't taken them seriously never believing he'd be in labor long enough to worry about it.  But it was a good thing that Gibbs knew what to do as they sped through the night to the hospital with the paramedics cleaning up the small wounds but being unable to do anything else for Tony.  Only Stan could help, now.

Once at the hospital things moved very quickly.  Stan was there having been called by the hospital when the paramedics had radioed in.  Within moments Tony was whisked away and prepared for surgery.  Stan went to check on Jethro who was putting his own surgical greens on.

"Tony's doing fine.  Looks like it'll be quick, Jethro," Stan said.  "What happened at your house?"

"Someone broke in the windows, fired a couple of shots.  I've got my team checking it out," he said as he fiddled with the drawstring on his pants.  "Didn't think it would go this fast," he said.

"Normally it wouldn't.  I'm guessing the sudden influx of adrenaline speeded everything up, but everything is fine so don't worry.  Tony just found out what real labor is like but he's here in plenty of time.  The contractions are still seven to eight minutes apart although they are strong.  There's need to wait, though, so we'll take him in as soon as the room is ready," Stan said knowing that Jethro liked having all of the information right up front.

"Tony's belly will be draped and you'll be stationed at his head," he continued.  "He'll be awake for the entire procedure but you'll have the option to leave if you have to," Stan said with a smile. 

Gibbs gave him a narrowed-eyed look.  Nothing was going to drag him away from Tony's side and Stan read that in his expression and chuckled.

"Yeah, didn't think it would be an issue.  Anyway, when I've taken the baby you have the option to cut the cord yourself, if you want it," he said.

Gibbs thought for a split moment and then nodded.  "Yeah.  I'd like that."

"Good, then, if you're ready let's do this," Stan said and left with Gibbs following right behind him.

-------------------

"Your contractions should ease up a bit now, Tony," the anesthesiologist said and Tony nodded but he was still nervous as hell.  This whole situation was so weird but then he felt Jethro's hand on his forehead and he turned and saw Jethro wearing one of those blue hair things with those intense blue eyes looking at him over the surgical mask and he smiled.

"You're doing great, baby, I'm so proud of you," Jethro said.  His voice was tight with emotion he couldn't control.

"I love you, Jethro," Tony said and then he looked down when he heard Stan say that he'd made the first incision.  After that it went very quickly and then Stan spoke again.

 "Here is your daughter, gentlemen," he said and lifted a now squalling baby covered in messy white stuff and guck with the umbilical cord still handing down between her legs. Both men laughed in joy and Jethro bent down to rub his forehead against Tony's as tears dripped down his face.

"Come on over here, Daddy, and cut this cord," Stan said and Jethro moved over.  Once it was done they handed the baby straight over to Jethro who carried his daughter over to Tony and laid her on his chest.

"Jethro, she's beautiful..." Tony said through his sobs.

Jethro pulled down his mask and placed his hand over her tiny head while he kissed Tony over and over.

"She's gorgeous, sweet boy.  You did so good, Tony," he choked out.

The moment was broken by the nurse who came to take the baby to clean her up and weigh her.

"I'll bring her back in a little bit, don't worry," she said with a big smile and then carried her away.

After that things moved along and Tony was taken to recovery.  He made Jethro go to the nursery to keep an eye on their daughter until they could be together again and Jethro agreed after several more deep kisses.

He got to the nursery to find his Dad and the whole team there waiting for him.  Abby jumped into his arms and then he was given several more hugs by everyone else.  After a bit the nurse brought the baby to the window so that they could see her.

"What's her name, Gibbs?" Abby asked as she tapped the glass with a big smile.

"Don't know, yet," Gibbs answered.  He and Tony had discussed some names but hadn't come to any consensus.  "But part of it is definitely Gibbs," he said and everyone laughed.

"So what've you guys got so far?" he asked the inevitable question.

McGee sighed.  He wasn't happy with having to relay this part.

"Nothing, Boss," he said steeling himself for the expected reaction.

"Explain," was all Gibbs said and McGee filled him in.

"The snow was too churned up around your house to get any viable footprints.  We believe there were two people, one possibly a woman or a younger person by the size of the prints.  Down the street we found tire tracks that matched the ones we took from the alleyway behind your neighbor's house but we still don't have anything conclusive on those.  They're just too generic.  There were no prints on the electrical panel nor on any of the rocks thrown into your house.  We did find a spot where what appears to be some type of alcohol was spilled, but no bottle..."

"It was bourbon, Gibbs," Abby added.  "I'm still testing for traces of DNA in what we recovered."

"We found two shell casings from a 9 mm handgun," Ziva added. "There were no prints on them but Abby is checking the databases for any ballistic matches."

"Boss, local LEOs think it looks like a couple of drunks might have just targeted your house for some fun..." McGee said although he didn't believe it.

"Is that what you think, McGee?" Gibbs asked his Second.

"No, I don't," McGee responded.  "There were no indications that the couple had looked at any other house on the street.  That coupled with the fact that the same vehicle was in the area earlier in the day makes me believe that this was pointed directly at you.  I've...uh...called Fornell," McGee finished and waited for the next outburst but was surprised that he didn't get one.

"Good job, McGee," he said.  "This was a malicious attack but not intended as a lethal one.  They shot out the streetlight so that they wouldn't be seen but never fired into my house.  But whoever did this knows about us, knows about Tony.  Check out any hate groups in the area targeting male pregnancy issues and let Fornell know I want to talk to him." 

Gibbs cell phone had been left at the scene after Tony had called for help and they said they'd get it to him.  They also let Gibbs know that his windows were being fixed.

"I'll swing by the house and get you some clothing, Jethro," Ducky offered knowing that Gibbs wouldn't be leaving the hospital any time soon.

"Thanks, Duck," Jethro said.

"I'll go with him, son, and make sure those windows are fixed before I come back tomorrow.  Can't bring a baby home to that mess," he said.

Gibbs smiled and squeezed his father's shoulder.  "Thanks, Dad."

A nurse came into the waiting room at that point to tell Gibbs that Tony was being moved to his room but that he wouldn't be allowed any visitors until the next day except for Gibbs.  Their daughter would be brought to them in a short while, she said with a smile and then left them after giving Gibbs the room number.

Since they couldn't see Tony, yet, the rest of the team decided to return the following day, so with another round of hugs and congratulations they left.  Since the nurse had taken his daughter away from the window he decided to go up stairs to wait with Tony for their daughter.

 

Chapter 32

Gibbs waited quietly with Tony while he dozed, his mind working over who had attacked them.  He believed too much in Abby's capabilities to think that they'd missed any evidence and he was too experienced to think it was random.  His gut was telling him that it was Constantino.  He felt the anger building up inside of him and he had to force it away.  There was no outlet for it here and besides, he needed to be concentrating on his new family.  Still, he subconsciously fingered the sig tucked into his holster and settled in to wait, absentmindedly fingering the little pink plastic band he now wore around his left wrist.

It didn't take long for the door to open and the same nurse who'd called him back to the nursery after everyone had left walked in pushing a little cart with a wrapped bundle.  The tiny baby had a little pink knit hat on and the nurse carefully checked both the baby's ankle band and compared it to Tony's wrist band.  She also checked Jethro's band.  All three were pink and Jethro assumed it signified the fact that they had a little girl.  All three bands said ‘Gibbs, Anthony D.' and ‘Gibbs, Baby Girl' along with their patient numbers.  It left Jethro with a very satisfied feeling.

Jethro touched Tony lightly and he immediately opened his eyes and then smiled broadly.  Jethro pushed the button raising the head of the bed while the nurse brought their baby to them.  She talked quietly with Tony about feeding and Jethro smiled gently at Tony's blush when they discussed breast feeding.  He thought it was the best thing to do but he wouldn't push Tony one way or the other.  If it had been him in this situation he wasn't sure if he'd want do it.  But then he looked at Tony in awe when he agreed to try.

Tony was very shy and embarrassed about the whole situation but he forged ahead bravely with a permanent blush on his face.  The change he underwent, though, when the baby finally latched on and he felt her sucking was amazing.  He seemed to be in bliss and again Jethro felt moved to tears at the sight.  He put his hand around Tony's nape and brought his lips to his ear.

"You're amazing, baby.  God, Tony, I love you so damn much," he said and Tony looked at him with tears in his eyes.

"Sue was right...she's worth it...everything..." Tony choked out and Jethro nodded in agreement.

After a moment Tony looked up from the small face sucking furiously and smiled at Jethro.

"I have a name for her...well, if you don't mind..." Tony said tentatively.

Jethro just looked at him curiously.

"I'd like to call her Shelly...for Shannon and Kelly.  Shelly Caitlin Gibbs..." he said and then his voice trailed off at Jethro's intense look.

Jethro had paled slightly and then flushed as his eyes filled with emotion.  "I think that sounds beautiful," he said in a tight voice and then brought his arms around his little family barely able to breathe from the emotion he felt.  They stayed that way while Shelly nursed for quite awhile.

------------------------------

"Congratulations, Jethro," Tobias said as he spoke with Gibbs in the hallway outside of Tony's room.  His color was almost back to normal and Gibbs smirked.  Tobias had looked in after a quick knock and had caught a glimpse of Tony breastfeeding.  Blushing, he said he'd speak with Gibbs outside and had stammered a quick congratulations to Tony before backing out of the room.

"Didn't know he'd decided to...uh...oh, hell," Tobias said after a moment and Gibbs chuckled.

"Tony's a surprising guy.  It's best for Shelly and he knows it," Gibbs stated.

"Shelly, huh?"

"Yeah, Shelly Caitlin Gibbs," Jethro said with pride and Tobias slapped him on the shoulder.

"You're a lucky man, Jethro," Tobias said sincerely.  "Anyway, I have my people looking into the incident at your house.  I'm very sorry about that," he said although he didn't have any choice in the matter.

"Don't apologize..." Gibbs started but Tobias finished the statement for him.

"Yeah, it's a sign of weakness, heard it before, Jethro.  But, damnit, if we'd still had men there it wouldn't have happened!"

Gibbs looked at him for a bit and waited.  "What?  You think I'm going to argue with ya?"  He blew out a deep breath of exasperation.  "So what do you know?"

It was Fornell's turn to blow out a breath.  "Nothing at this point.  We still don't have a line on Constantino.  It's like he fell off the face of the earth.  We do have one idea, though..."

"Well, spit it out, Tobias," Gibbs said.

"We've accounted for everything at Constantino's home except for one thing, some blood that was found in a hallway.  It doesn't match anything in the databases but it could indicate that Constantino was shot that day.  If it was bad then maybe he's dead," he finished.

"Or he's just holed up until he heals.  You've got no leads at all?"

"Well, one thing we can do is confirm who the blood belongs to, but it's up to you and Tony," Tobias said. 

Gibbs looked at Tobias for a bit.  "You want to match Shelly's DNA with the blood you found."

Tobias just nodded.  It felt too much like he was rubbing in the fact that Gibbs wasn't Shelly's biological father but there was nothing he could do about that. 

Gibbs looked away for a moment.  Something inside of him didn't want any confirmation of Constantino's role in Shelly's life, but the investigator in him said that it would help to know if Constantino had been shot.

"You couldn't just go to Theurgenson?"

"Already tried.  He didn't keep anything from Constantino...dumped it all when he found out what had happened.  Said that as far as he's concerned, you're Shelly's father."

Gibbs smiled a bit.  Stan was right, damnit.  "Okay, I'll talk to Tony.  He'll probably agree even if he won't be happy to think about Constantino right now."

"Thanks, Jethro.  Our lab tech will be by for a swab and then I'll let you know when we find out," Tobias turned to leave and then paused.  "This might help your frame of mind," he said with a slight smile as Gibbs raised one eyebrow in question.  "Word has it that the Families have pulled their protection off of one Michael DiNozzo, Sr.  They're apparently pissed that incriminating evidence against other Family members was found in his possession.  They hate sloppiness."

"He having a rough time of it?" Gibbs asked, his eyes unreadable.

Tobias looked at him for a moment and wondered if the news was all that surprising.  But then, did it really matter?

"Oh, yeah.  Seems lots of guys want a piece of an ex-Family man.  Your call if you want to tell Tony," he saw Gibbs' mouth turn up in a slight smile.  He nodded slightly to himself and then left.

--------------------------------

Weeks passed and life settled down in the Gibbs household.  The blood found at Constantino's did belong to him and the FBI surmised from the quantity that Constantino was probably dead.  For all intents and purposes, the issue was considered closed except for locating the body.  But Gibbs didn't believe that for a moment.  He was still convinced that the attack the night of Shelly's birth was related to Constantino and so refused to drop his vigilance.  

Shelly quickly grew under the watchful eye of her two fathers and her grandfather.  But unfortunately, despite how much Jackson enjoyed being around her he felt that he had to return to Stillwater.  It was the hardest thing he'd ever decided to do but promised to return soon to see his granddaughter.  He smiled as he thought of her.  She was the spitting image of Tony, with his eyes and coloring.  The only thing different were the wispy curls growing all over her head.  He'd never ask, but he figured that it might be the only thing she got from her biological father.  Well, he had plenty of pictures to show the folks at home and he was already planning his next trip.  In fact, depending on how well his trip home went, he might have some news to share with Leroy his next time out.  Time to just wait and see...

Jethro trotted down the stairs to find Tony doing pushups over the baby.  He was caught for a moment by the sight of muscles moving smoothly under glistening skin but then he took in the rest of the picture.  Shelly was on a blanket and every time Tony dropped down he placed a kiss on her belly.  She was now nearly eight weeks old and was kicking and swinging her arms as she enjoyed the face of her father coming close enough for her to coo at. 

"Tony, what are you doing?" he asked in exasperation when he saw Tony working out instead of getting ready.

"Entertaining our daughter with feats of physical prowess," he said in between pushups and kisses.

"I can see that.  The question is why aren't you getting ready for work?"

"Because I'm not working," push up, pant, "We are hanging around NCIS until it's time to go home," he said reasonably.

Gibbs shook his head.  They'd gone round and around with this conversation and he thought the discussion was over.  After all, Tony and Shelly had come to work with him for two days already, why was he starting it again now?

"Tony..."

Tony lay down on his side facing Gibbs and began to tickle Shelly's stomach.  "Jethro, please listen to me, okay?"

Jethro blew out a breath but nodded.

"I know you're worried about leaving us alone but the fact is that you can't be at our sides 24 hours a day and still get your work done.  And we can't hang around NCIS for hours at a time with nothing to do.  We've already visited everyone in the building, I've worked out at the NCIS gym, we've checked out the day care center, especially since that's the only place I can get some privacy to feed Shelly and our presence does disrupt the work going on," Tony said and then sat up crossing his legs under him.  "Jethro, you know I love you, but I get the feeling that you don't think I'm capable of protecting our daughter.  So tell me the truth.  Is that how you feel?"

Gibbs dropped his head and shook it.  "No, that's NOT how I feel.  I guess the issue is me...I don't want to be apart from you.  I like knowing where you're at and that you're both safe..."  His voice trailed off and he looked into the distance.  "I wasn't around when Shannon and Kelly needed me.  I can't make that mistake again..."

Tony got up and when to his husband.  He put his hands on Jethro's biceps and bent down until Jethro looked up.

"It's not as though you were off fooling around, Jethro.  You were deployed, doing your job protecting our Marines, our soldiers.  I know Shannon and Kelly understood that.  But you couldn't have prevented what happened.  It was a random chance.  You said that they were out shopping when Shannon saw that murder.  Are you saying for certain that you would have been with them that day?  Then you would have been a witness, too.  Or maybe you would have been in that car when the driver was shot, or that driver could have been you..."

Gibbs forcibly pulled away.  "Don't you think I've thought about all of that a thousand times?  Knowing that I probably couldn't change the outcome of those events doesn't change the fact that at that time I would have been happier if I'd of died right along with them, hell I almost ate my gun enough times that I might as well have...

"But you didn't, Jethro.  You hung on for whatever reason and gave yourself a second chance..."

"No," Jethro said.  "You're the one who gave me the second chance..."

Tony moved forward again and brought his arms around Jethro.  "The point is that we can't predict anything and you can't be prepared for every eventuality.  Jethro, go to work and do what you have to do.  Let me do what I have to do.  And in two weeks we will go back with you, when I start working again."

Tony waited.  He understood Jethro's feelings but being glued at the hip simply wasn't the answer, not for either of them.

Jethro nodded after a moment and then pulled Tony in for a kiss.  "You call me if you decide to leave the house," he ordered.

Tony smiled and leaned back in for a kiss. "Promise, Boss," he answered.

And with a nod, Jethro left for work.

-------------------

"So you'll be back on Monday," Tim asked for the third time.

"Yes, McScardy cat, I'll be there to protect you from the mean old Gibbs," Tony partially joked.  This wasn't the first time that he'd heard about Jethro's vile temper.  Normally he would have been the one to bear the brunt of Jethro's displeasure but he was no longer Jethro's Second.  He wasn't even on the team.  He'd be back to working cold cases.  And although it hadn't been his favorite thing to do, there were a couple of ideas he'd had but never had a chance to run down.  Nevertheless, maybe his presence in the building would be enough to soothe the savage beast.  If nothing else, Tony could drag Jethro down to the daycare to play with Shelly if he became too unbearable.

The situation worried Tony but he wasn't sure what to do about it.  Everything was great at home.  It seemed that as soon as Jethro walked through the door it was as though he were entering a safe haven.  And although that was a good analogy in itself, it didn't bode well for their friends at work...or the suspects.  Well, at least not the one where Ziva had felt the need to step in and stop Jethro.  Tim had told him that he'd been frozen, unsure what to do.  This was Gibbs they were talking about.  But that hadn't stopped Ziva.  She'd stepped into his backswing and used her body weight to stop it.  Tony shook his head.  He'd seen Jethro obsessed and furious but he'd never seen him out of control.  Well, okay, maybe he still hadn't been out of control because then maybe even Ziva wouldn't have been able to stop him.  But he'd gone further than he ever had before and that's what worried Tony.  Hopefully, things would settle down once Tony was near to hand.  At least that's what Tony hoped for.

 

Chapter  33

Tony finished feeding Shelly so he put her down for a nap.  It was Saturday but Jethro was working on a case so Tony knew he wouldn't see him until it was done.  He'd never dealt with Jethro's work habits from this perspective before and he was learning to deal with it but the long hours of quiet when things were hopping at work made him itch to get involved.  Although he loved being home with Shelly, she didn't require too much care at this age so he found himself watching a lot of his old movies again but he was getting a little claustrophobic and he'd been thinking about returning to work for a while now.  Besides, even cold cases could be interesting.  And Shelly would be right there in the building with him so he could continue to breastfeed her for the six months he'd told himself he would.

He cleaned himself and buttoned his shirt but turned when he heard her coughing a bit.  She stopped and he resumed tidying up the living room only to hear her cough again.  Worried he went over and checked on her only to see her scrunching up her face as she coughed.  Worried that she'd somehow gotten something caught in her throat he checked her over but didn't see anything in her mouth and yet she continued to gag.  When she gagged and threw up he called Ducky.

"She does seem to have something...just...here..." Ducky said as he examined the squirming baby.  Tony was helping hold her head still and was near tears at her crying and struggling.

"There we are..." Ducky said as he held something up to the light.  It was a hair. 

"A single hair was irritating her throat, Tony," Ducky said as he showed Tony the small perpetrator of his daughter's distress as Tony grabbed up his crying baby and tried to calm her down.

Tony looked at it and saw that it was one of his chest hairs.  Do ape babies get hairs caught in their throats from their hairy mothers? he questioned himself, because that's what I am...a hairy ape like Gianni said...

Ducky looked at Tony in concern when he saw the frown and angry blush staining his cheeks as Tony buried his face in his daughter's neck.

"Tony, it is a small thing, I assure you.  Shelly will be fine," he said gently.

"Yeah, until the next time she sucks in something..." Tony said and he softly patted her back, his gentle actions a total opposite to the expression on his face.

"Tony, I'm sure it was a one-time thing, please don't be concerned about a recurrence..."

But Tony cut off his reassurances with a smile as he forced away his true feelings. 

"You're right, Ducky.  I'll just be more careful when I feed her from now on," he said with a smile as he fought to portray a calmness he didn't feel.

Ducky eyed him critically but nodded just the same.  He left shortly afterwards.

Once he was gone Tony packed up a diaper bag and bundled up Shelly.  This was never going to happen again, he promised her.

------------------------------

Gibbs arrived at home and immediately heard Tony in the kitchen.  From the enticing smells he figured it was Italian food which Tony prepared extremely well.  He also knew that it was something Tony could fix quickly since he kept packages of sauce he'd prepared ahead of time frozen in small containers. 

"Hi, honey," he said as he walked up to Shelly and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.  She was sucking contentedly on a teething ring she held tightly in her little fist while she swayed lightly in the bouncer on the table.

"Hi," Tony said as he gave Jethro a quick glance and then resumed chopping vegetables for a salad. 

Jethro eyed him as he walked over and gave Tony a kiss on his slightly reddened cheek.  Tony barely looked up as he quietly resumed chopping and Jethro looked him over again.  He was curious about Tony's faint blush but what really intrigued him was the half-boner his husband was sporting. 

"Have a good day, today?" he asked Tony and watched mesmerized as Tony's blush deepened.  God, he was so beautiful and he was getting Jethro very turned on with the shy little boy act.

Suddenly Tony put the knife down and looked at Jethro.  "Ducky called you didn't he?" he asked.

"Yeah, said Shelly got a hair stuck in her throat but that she was fine.  He wasn't too sure about you, though," he finished letting his eyes trail over Tony's body once again.  He took a step closer and cupped his hand around Tony's erection which hardened against his palm as Tony let out a deep groan.  

"I don't think this is the result of your reaction to what happened here today," he said softly into Tony's ear.

That low voice and warm breath against his ear sent a shiver down Tony's back and made him harden even more and he quickly forgot the minor annoyance he felt at Ducky's call to Jethro.  He gave a little whimper when Jethro tightened his grasp on Tony's now hard cock.  He nodded shakily to the unspoken request and turned to shut the oven off. 

Jethro picked Shelly up out of the bouncer and he followed a now-hurrying Tony up the stairs.  He turned into the nursery and placed Shelly into her crib and turned on the mobile to keep her entertained hoping it would work for awhile.  He was damn well going to find out what was up with Tony...or at least find out what was causing Tony to be up...

He walked back into the bedroom to find Tony standing by the bed.  He was still fully dressed but he was panting lightly and still blushing and sporting a large bulge in his now tight pants.  Jethro was sure his panting was not due to his quick trip up the stairs.  He stepped forward and again placed his hand on Tony's cock and reveled in the low moan he heard.  God, this was turning him on.  He leaned forward and kissed Tony lightly on the lips and then raised his hand to run his finger down the open collar of Tony's shirt, lightly brushing the warm skin there.  Tony trembled and Gibbs placed one arm around his waist and pulled him closer.  He again ran his finger across the exposed skin at the opening of Tony's shirt to feel the silky skin and then he paused.  It was silky, hairless skin. 

Tony was making little hitching breaths as Jethro unbuttoned the first button to find even more silky skin and he moaned lightly as he reached into the now-open shirt to cup Tony's breast, lightly rubbing his calloused thumb over Tony's hardened nipple still encased in the man-bra as he called it.  It was a t-shirt with built in support for nursing men.  It had a low-cut neck and Jethro could see an expanse of hairless swelling disappearing into the t-shirt.  God, it made him ache to see the rest.

Not wasting any time he had Tony's shirt and t-shirt off, both sailing across the room as he looked at Tony's upper torso, beautiful skin completely denuded of hair and he understood.  He reached out again and ran his calloused hands over Tony's chest and arms, raising them to see smooth pits.

Tony dropped his head back in response as he moaned again at the feel of those hands running over his overly-sensitive skin.  Jesus, he'd been fighting a permanent hard-on ever since they'd finished with him.  It was like he could feel every current of air caressing his body.  Then, when it had been time to get dressed, he'd barely made it out to the car, every square inch of his body sending tingling sensations directly to his groin as his skin made contact with his clothes.  His only thought was to wonder what his silk boxers would feel like but then it had changed to Jethro's fingers, his mouth...  He'd barely (snicker) made it home without coming in his pants.  He wanted to explore but then Shelly let out a wail of hunger and then there was no time and all the while he was thinking of Jethro.  He wondered if he'd explode before he got home.

He brought his head forward and opened his eyes to see Jethro looking at him as though he was a feast for a starving man.  He was grabbed and kissed so hard he couldn't breathe as Jethro laid claim to every inch of his mouth and then his jaw, neck, chest.  Little kisses and light flicking of Jethro's tongue all across his skin, his breasts and down to his navel, made him grind himself against Jethro.

"God, Tony...how far down..." Jethro panted out the words against Tony's skin as he undid Tony's belt buckle.

It took Tony a moment to realize that Jethro had spoken actual words.  "Started with my chest...and stomach..." he panted with slight trepidation.  It had seemed like a good idea at the time regardless of the pain involved.  And so far Jethro seemed to like it... 

"Decided on my back...and arms...Ziva called me her hairy butt..."

Tony's pants were around his ankles and Jethro had bent down to remove his shoes and socks all the while running his calloused hands up and down Tony's hairless legs.  Tony was holding onto Jethro's shoulders for dear life as he knees threatened to buckle. God, this was so much better than anything he'd been imagining all afternoon long...  "Please, Jethro, please..."

"Easy, boy, easy...so you telling me you did everything?" Jethro asked as he laid his cheek against the large wet spot in Tony's boxers.  He breathed in the musky scent of Tony's arousal knowing that Tony had been hard all afternoon and he reached out with his tongue to caress the bulge and taste the essence seeping through Tony's shorts, putting light pressure against the head of Tony's cock with his tongue making Tony gasp and shake.  "Answer me, boy..."

"Yes, damnit...yes!  The all-over body w-waxing was actually ch-cheaper..." Tony stuttered as he explained, the heat from Jethro's mouth against his cock making it nearly impossible to think.

"Oh, come here, baby..." Jethro said in a soothing voice as he pushed Tony down onto the bed.  "Lift for me," he ordered quietly and slowly slipped Tony's boxers down and away.  His eyes narrowed and he was mesmerized by the miles and miles of soft skin stained a light pink over Tony's entire body.  He lightly stroked the silky soft skin of Tony's belly as it was being painted with pre-come as his incredibly hard cock bounced against his slightly rounded abdomen.  Although Tony wasn't yet targeting his abs in his workouts, Jethro could already see the return of hardening muscle around the faint surgical scar but for now it was still soft to the touch and it turned him on as much as Tony's six-pack had all those months ago.

He continued to caress the soft skin where there had once been a thick bush of soft curls.  He lightly stroked and played with the hairless balls, the velvety skin pulled up tight with Tony's arousal.  "So beautiful...so beautiful..." he murmured softly. 

Quickly he stood straight and dropped all of his clothes.  In a moment he was back, kneeling between Tony's parted legs as he continued his exploration of this newly-exposed virgin territory.  Tony squirmed and moaned under his hands and again Jethro soothed him with murmured endearments and soft touches.

He had Tony's legs opened wide as he examined the clean soft pucker he knew so well.  Only now it was fully exposed and Jethro ran his tongue over it, noting the taste was slightly different, lighter and not so musky and yet still completely Tony.  He pushed his tongue into the tight hole and felt more than heard Tony gasp which was followed by unintelligible mumbling.  Tony wiggled in his grasp and Jethro tightened his hold on Tony's hips.  He grinned evilly at the thought of Tony being on edge all afternoon.  The idea of it pleased him and he knew that today would not be a one-time occurrence.  But for now he would ease his lover's distress and his own.  Quite frankly, he wasn't sure he would be able to last much longer so he quickly grabbed the lube and added a healthy amount to his hand and began to stretch the tiny hole to the symphony of Tony's moaning.

Tony gave those little gasping hitches that Jethro loved so well as he pushed into the tight opening, pausing once he was fully seated to luxuriate in the tight heat.  He drank in the sight of Tony's pained pleasure as he waited for Tony to let him know that burning stretch had eased.  And after a moment, he did.  He began to thrust deeply and slowly, loving every moment of being buried so deeply inside of his lover.  He bent forward to lap at the small leaking breasts, savoring the sweet essence that their daughter enjoyed so well.  He thrust in again and wanted to suck and nibble but he would never take anything that belonged to his daughter.  Later, though, when Tony was beginning to wean her, there would be nothing holding him back from taking everything Tony had to offer.

Jethro pushed in again unable to hold back as Tony reached forward to grasp his biceps and wrap his strong legs around Jethro's waist.  Jethro grabbed Tony's cock in his hand and began to stroke in time with his thrusts.  He took a deep pleasure in every gasp knowing he was hitting Tony's prostate.  Then he heard a deeply groaned oh and felt Tony's come cover his hand as Tony's ass clamped down around him and Jethro felt the blinding rush of love and passion surge up and out of him to shoot deeply into Tony as darkness claimed him.

Later, after Jethro had risen and brought a cloth to wipe them both down, they lay together kissing softly and touching one another.  Jethro rubbed his chest against Tony's and laughed lightly at the soft groan that action elicited.

"Like that?" Jethro asked with a smile.

"God...I'm still so sensitive and I love your chest hair," Tony said as he combed his fingers through the silvery grey and black expanse.  "So you like it?  Should I stay this way?"

"You're massively sexy and a turn on with or without body hair.  I just love you, Tony.  But the choice is yours...as long as you're doing it for you and Shelly, not for any other reason," Jethro said as he nuzzled Tony's neck.

Tony looked down at Jethro as he worked his way down his neck and chest.  He'd told him what Gianni had said and then Jethro had proceeded to let him know just how wrong he felt Gianni was and Tony had been satisfied.  Well, at least up until Shelly had gagged on a hair.  And now, as he felt Jethro playing lightly with the skin around his twitching cock, he felt secure in staying this way until he was done breastfeeding.  He closed his eyes, effectively shutting down his thoughts as a hot mouth sucked him inside and it felt so good to feel those fingers stroking his balls as that talented tongue brought him back to life and he vowed then and there that the pain of waxing was definitely worth the end result as Jethro's tongue once again breached him.  Yes, definitely worth it.

-------------------------------

Gianni groaned as he struggled to grab the bottle of water off of the nightstand.   He failed.

"Gina!" he called gruffly.  She appeared a few moments later.

"Why the hell do you have to put my drinks so far away," he complained.

Gina remained quiet as she picked up the bottle and handed it to Gianni.  She wouldn't tell him that he'd been the one to place the bottle on the nightstand after his last drink.  No, it was just easier to accept the blame and then do whatever was necessary to fix the situation.

She watched as he struggled to drink and eyed him critically.  The infection had nearly killed him but he'd managed to survive although he was still incredibly weak and terribly thin.  It had been over five months since he'd been shot.  Five very long months and although Gianni was in no danger of dying since his wounds were all healed even if they hadn't healed well, he was still almost completely incapacitated. They'd been so focused on the grievous abdominal damage that they hadn't paid too much attention to Gianni's shoulder so now his left arm had completely atrophied and his legs were not much better.  The doctor had said that he needed physical therapy to help him get stronger but how were they supposed to get that?   So she got Carlo to build a bar over the bed so Gianni could work on pulling himself up.  Now Carlo was building some parallel bars so that he could strengthen his legs.  She'd been surprised at what Carlo knew about physical therapy but he had worked in an Army hospital for awhile so he had some ideas.  And it was working even if it was really slow.  Still, she could see the man he was returning day by day. 

"I've made some soup if you're hungry..." she offered tentatively.  She was never sure when his temper would flare so she spoke very little.  That on top of the fact that she'd been terrified for weeks now kept her wary and silent.  She'd been afraid that her stupid drunken foray would come back and bite her in the ass, but it seemed that luck smiled on her and nothing had come of it.  Still, she wouldn't breathe easy until Gianni was back on his feet and taking care of things...or she found some way to either kill Anthony or steal the baby.  She was still working on that.  Her thoughts were interrupted by Gianni's complaint.

"I'm fucking sick and tired of soup..." he groused but he knew as well as she did that the doctor told him to stay on mostly liquids and extremely soft foods.   "Yeah, bring me some soup...and open the window shade.  I wanna look out," he ordered.

Gina did as she was told and then left the room, but not quickly enough as Gianni again began his tirade.

"Fucking end of March, already.  My son is out there with that whore.  Bastard's keeping my son from me.  I haven't even seen him and he's already two months old!  And DiNozzo sitting warm and safe in jail while I freeze my ass off in this dump...Gina!" he called again.  She re-appeared with a bowl of soup in her hands.

"Gina, get me the balance in that account...and I want you to do the same with this other one," he ordered as he handed her some written instructions.  "But first I want a haircut and a bath."

Later, as Gina used the clippers to expertly trim the curly hair close to Gianni's scalp she tried to guess what Gianni was planning now.  She couldn't so after the haircut she helped him into the bath, her eyes as usual noting the ugly puckered scars and depressions from flesh the doctor had cut away across his entire stomach and into his right side.  He was still in a lot of pain and he barked and cursed her as she washed him as carefully as she could all the while blaming Anthony for his current state.  Soon she knew he would tell her what he wanted and she would work her plans around that.  Once he was back in bed and dozing, she took the paper he'd given her and did what he ordered.

 

Chapter 34

Tony's phone rang and he welcomed the break from the file he was looking through.  It was the last of the cold cases that needed review and then he knew he would be at loose ends.  He felt good about having solved two of the cases, but the others were still at a dead end.  With a sigh he pushed the thoughts away as he brought the phone to his ear."

"Hi, Tony," Cynthia's sweet tones greeted him as he answered.

"Hey, pretty lady, how are you today?" he asked with a big smile.

"Just fine, thanks...and how's your sweet baby?"

"Five months old and growing like a weed.  She's rolling all around the floor like a little basketball," he said with a laugh.

"Well, that's good to hear.  Are you going to go feed her anytime soon?"

"Yeah, she's due in an hour unless they call me and tell me she's fussing sooner than that..." Tony trailed off as he wondered what she needed.

"Well, when you're done with that but before you take that handsome hunk of a husband of yours out to lunch can you please stop by and see Director Vance?  He's not in any hurry but he wanted to speak with you before lunch today."

"Sure thing, Cyn...thanks," Tony answered and hung up wondering what the Director needed from him.  It made him a bit anxious based on all his past experiences with Jenny.  Jethro got on alright with him and he trusted Jethro so maybe it wasn't anything he needed to worry about but still, ever since his permanent appointment as Director Tony had kept an eye on him.  Vance was different but he hadn't quite got a handle on the man, yet.  He'd just have to wait and see.

It was nearly lunchtime when Tony walked back to his desk.  He was elated but worried slightly about what Jethro would think...or more importantly, how he'd react.  Even Tony's presence in the building wasn't enough to soothe Jethro's temper some times.  His fixation on trying to find some evidence that Gianni was out there was as bad or maybe worse than it had been when he'd been looking for Ari.  None of them had been able to prevent Ari from killing Cait and now Jethro saw that same threat from Gianni, only this time the threat was to his family.  And it was far too similar to what happened to Jethro's first family.  Tony found he really couldn't blame Jethro.  And although he was sure Gianni was still alive out there, he personally didn't feel a mortal threat from him against either himself or Shelly...he felt Gianni was more of a threat to Jethro for having what he thought of as his. And there was no way he'd let anything happen to Jethro.

Tony did a quick review of his own searches for Gianni.  He, too, was coming up empty as he tried every one of his old mob informants from his old jobs.  Everyone believed Gianni was either dead or out of the country, neither of which Tony believed any more than Jethro did.  He hadn't let Jethro know he'd been doing this.  One of them seemingly obsessed was enough.

Fortunately Jethro had gotten a bit more control of himself and hadn't taken his anger and frustration out on any other unfortunate suspects that just happened to piss him off.  He thanked God again for Ziva being there that day and he'd had a quiet but intense aside with Tim about it, too.  No matter how in awe Tim was of Jethro, he couldn't let it freeze him.  He was Jethro's Second and it was up to him to help keep things in line, to not only back Jethro up but to stand up to him as well.  It wasn't an easy job but it was essential and Tony knew Tim was capable of it.  Tim just had to believe it.

No, things were getting better although Jethro's wariness hadn't subsided.  He shouldn't have too many issues with this change...Tony hoped.

Shelly was nearly six months old now and Tony was beginning to wean her from his breast.  And with what Vance had just offered him, it couldn't be a better time.  He was being given his own team and it was what he wanted.  Now he just had to tell Jethro.

Later Jethro stood by Tony as they watched the river flow passed.

"So you won't officially take your team over for another two weeks?"

Tony watched Jethro stare out at the water.  Initially, he hadn't been happy about Tony's news but it was something he'd apparently expected.  Vance had specifically said he hadn't told Jethro anything and Tony had been relieved.  He'd hate to think that Vance felt he had to ask Jethro first before offering him the job.  He knew Vance wouldn't belittle him that way.  Still, it hadn't been that much of a surprise to Jethro.  Maybe he'd known it was inevitable?

"Yeah, I've got to interview some agents to fill an empty slot and make sure everyone's qualified.  By then Shelly should be weaned and I can really run the team and be out in the field," Tony said quietly as he waited for some reaction from Jethro.  He hadn't said much any time Tony went out investigating leads on cold cases probably knowing he couldn't keep Tony out of the field.

Jethro nodded.  As much as he'd like to wrap Tony in cotton he knew that he couldn't.  Tony was a damned fine agent and deserved his own team.  He'd just have to make sure Tony didn't get so involved in his cases that he'd drop his vigilance in regards to Constantino.  With that thought he turned to his husband. 

"It's past due, Tony.  You deserve your own team," he said and watched Tony lift his chin at the praise.  "You'll do fine," he said as he slapped Tony on the shoulder and Tony gave him one of those brilliant smiles he loved so much.  God, if only they weren't at work...

And with that the two men turned to go back into the office.  Gibbs checked his watch and noted he still had a bit of time.  Without a word they turned as one to head to the daycare center.  A few minutes with their favorite girl, other than Abby of course, would be just perfect.

-----------------------------------

Tony walked slowly as he left Gerry's office.  Tony was only seeing him occasionally now and he felt good about that.  Well, except for the fact that Gerry had again brought up his visiting DiNozzo.  He knew he was right.  It had been right to see Jenny one more time and he knew he should do this.  Yet he hesitated.  All of the old anger and hate welled up inside of him just at the thought of the old bastard but then Tony took a deep breath.  And that is why you have to confront him, he told himself.  With a nod he decided to talk to Jethro about it that night.

"Are you sure about this?" Jethro asked when Tony had told him his plans after dinner.

"I have to, Jethro, you know that," Tony said. 

Jethro just looked at him and although he knew he was right, he felt it was also right for him to come clean about something, too.

"I'll be with you if you want, you know that," Jethro stated.

Tony just smiled and pulled Jethro in for a hug.  "I was hoping you'd say that.  I've already asked Abby to watch Shelly," he said with a smile as Jethro's arms tightened around him.

"Okay, but there's something I want to tell you," Jethro said and he stepped back.  Tony eyed him curiously but didn't say anything.

"How much do you know about DiNozzo's sentence?"

"Nothing.  I gave my testimony and then walked out.  After that there was too much going on for me to care about him or the trial," Tony said quietly.  It had been a dark time while Jethro was gone and he didn't like to talk about it.

"He made a deal for the information they got from him on other mob members.  He got life with a chance of parole and the FBI didn't leak where they got their information." 

Tony just cocked his head, waiting.

"Know some people who had some more information.  I made sure it got to the FBI.  Through some connections I let it be known that DiNozzo was the source of everything the FBI has."

There was no way that he'd tell Tony that it had actually been Ducky's connections that had allowed the information to get to the proper parties.  He recalled Ducky's words that day.  ‘If something like this had occurred earlier in my life I could have easily handled the problem for you in a very final manner, Jethro, but as it is I have my oath as a doctor to consider.  So, I'll just put a little bug in certain ears in order to make DiNozzo understand the gravity of his actions.  Anything that occurs as a result of that is purely on the shoulders of individuals other than you and I', he'd said with a smile that had given Jethro pause.   He was damn glad Ducky was on his side.

Tony was shocked.  Gibbs had released information regarding the FBI's investigation?  Did Fornell know?

"Why?" he asked, still trusting in Jethro's judgment.

"It was a preemptive strike," he stated firmly.  "I didn't want DiNozzo to be able to gain a foothold in the hierarchy of the prison.  It would give him a position of authority there and also give him access to outside sources.  I wanted him to be alone...and powerless," Jethro said.  He rarely felt the need to explain his actions to anyone, but Tony deserved to know it all.  It involved him and he was Jethro's husband. 

Tony just stared at his husband.  Jethro had enacted vengeance on DiNozzo the only way he could...by making him weak in a place where only the strong survive.

"So he doesn't have any Family backing?"

Jethro shook his head.  "They pulled all semblance of protection from him.  Tobias said he's not having a good time of it right now."

There, it was said and now it was up to Tony to decide how he felt about it. 

Tony just nodded his head and remained quiet for a moment as he contemplated just what his father had experienced once he no longer had his protective cloak around him.  Beatings definitely, and probably rapes which were an issue of power and control more than sex.  He found that he felt no remorse, just gratitude that Jethro had his six.

"I wish I could have been a part of that," he said quietly and then Jethro pulled him into his arms.

"Was hoping you'd feel that way, but I was ready to take the brunt of whatever you felt if you didn't," he whispered.  "Can't let him get away with hurting what's mine, Tony.  You're my boy, now and forever," he swore yet again.

"Yours, always," Tony said, returning the promise as they held each other tightly.

------------------------------

Tony ran a hand down the back of his head as he waited.  He tugged at his sleeves of the expensive suit he wore and smoothed the lines as it hung over his taut belly.  He acknowledged the fact that he was nervous as he moved to stand by Jethro, who in pure contrast, waited with his hands clasped lightly behind his back in a picture of total calm.  Tony envied him his composure.  So, not to be outdone, he pulled on all his reserves of acting ability to portray the same calm composure as his husband.  His shoulders remained straight but the tension eased out of them.  Jethro turned to him and nodded in approval.  After a few more moments the door was opened by a guard and his father was led in.  Show time.

Tony looked DiNozzo over and was shocked at what he saw.  DiNozzo looked like hell.  His cheek was bruised and he had a bloodied scab on his lip.  There were shadows under his eyes and he looked like he'd aged twenty years.  He even looked as though he's shrunk but Tony knew he hadn't although it was obvious he'd lost weight.  The few steps he took to enter the room were stiff and obviously painful.  Tony examined every part of the man with whom he'd shared a name for the first 34 years of his life, who'd disowned him, and who had essentially sold him into an abusive marriage.  He felt the anger well up inside of him but just as quickly felt it drain away.  It was useless, as useless as the broken man before him.  He had everything in his life:  a husband he loved, a beautiful baby girl and a name he was finally proud of.  He had a great job and the respect of his co-workers.  And in that moment he again kicked himself for ever doubting his friends and family...and himself.  Never again, DiNozzo, he thought and he smiled.  You lose.

DiNozzo's flat brown eyes examined Tony just as thoroughly as he himself was being examined.  It was plainly obvious which of them had fared better since their last meeting.  DiNozzo stared at the good looking, confident man before him and felt regret...but not regret for the manner in which he'd treated him.  No, the only regret he felt was for the loss of his son...his real son, Michael.  That Anthony could stand there in front of him in such obviously good health and prosperity disgusted him.  But then it was all his own fault, he reminded himself.  The Turterro Family lawyer had explained just how he had been to blame for everything that had occurred to him.  And with the loss of his family, meaning Michael, his wealth and now his freedom, he was finally beginning to understand that it was true.  It had been his own hubris that led to his downfall, his pride in the DiNozzo name and in his planning that resulted in all those lucrative business dealings.   Until he'd tried for too much...in trying to get rid of both Anthony and Constantino together he'd lost it all.  And now he has paid the ultimate price, losing first his son and namesake so that, with his own death, the world will see the end of the DiNozzo Family forever.  He saw Anthony smile and he turned his eyes away.

"What do you want, Anthony?"  He said to the wall beside him.

"Nothing, anymore.  I've gotten what I came for."

"What?  A chance to gloat?"

"No.  Confirmation for myself that you don't matter.  Not to me or to my family.  You never did and you never will because I survived everything you did to me and it's over.  Hell, I won the best prize in the world.  I have a great husband and a beautiful daughter.  And she will grow up never knowing about you or what you were."

Tony felt as though a huge weight had dropped from his shoulders.  He was finally free.  He turned to again smile at Jethro, in his mind, the source of all things good.

DiNozzo looked at Anthony, saw him turn and smile at the man with him, the Fed who'd been at the house that day.  He looked at them both, noted the way they looked at one another and only then did he see the matching wedding bands.  So Anthony had either divorced or annulled his marriage to Gianni.  That was fine with him.  He hoped Gianni was rotting in hell from that shot he'd put in his gut.  But here was Anthony.  With his husband and they had a daughter who would never know about her real father or the man who, at one time, held the power of life and death over them all.  He wondered who she looked like.  The desire to see her suddenly over-whelmed him.

"Do you have a picture?"

Both Jethro and Tony turned to stare at DiNozzo neither of them understanding why he would want to see Shelly's picture.  Tony stared but then moved to pull out his wallet but his hand was stopped by Jethro.

"Don't Tony...he doesn't deserve it..." Jethro began as thoughts of all the hurtful things DiNozzo could say to Tony rushed through his mind.  He'd be damned if he'd let that old bastard hurt Tony ever again.

Tony looked at Jethro and looked at DiNozzo and knew he would show the photo.  Let DiNozzo know what it was he was missing out on.  And if he said anything, well, it just didn't matter anymore and Tony felt that certainty all the way to his core.  DiNozzo just didn't matter anymore.

"It's okay, Jethro," he said with a confident smile as he raised his other hand to squeeze the hand still preventing him from pulling his wallet from his breast pocket.

Jethro searched Tony's eyes and saw complete certainty there.  He nodded and dropped his hand.

Tony pulled the picture he carried and looked down at it.  They'd taken Shelly to the park that day and Jethro had been tickling her nose with some cherry blossoms.  She'd reached out and grabbed them, crushing the pink blooms in her tiny fist as she let out a chortle of laughter.  Tony had snapped the picture at that moment and it was beautiful.  You could see her eyes looking very green against the pink flowers and she had little golden-brown curls framing her face.  You could just see the glint of the gold earrings she wore and he flashed back on the small argument he and Jethro had when he said he wanted to get her ears pierced and then Jethro's smile later when he saw how pretty they looked.  Abby, of course, had been thrilled.  All of those things he knew and remembered when he saw the pictu