RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 

Chapter 26

"Very good, dear boy, very good indeed," Ducky pronounced with a smile as he put away his cuff and stethoscope.

"Do you think Stan will let me out of bed, soon?" Tony asked hopefully.  He was so tired of being in bed and it had only been a few days.  He didn't know if he would survive the full two weeks.

"Oh, no, I should think not, Tony.  You do not have preeclampsia right now but it is a very real possibility if you don't take care of yourself."

Tony sighed but nodded.  He was definitely going crazy but the health of his baby was his priority which meant, then, that he was stuck in bed until Stan was satisfied.  He leaned back and closed his eyes.

"What is it, Tony?" Ducky asked concerned.

"The team is coming over this afternoon.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to face them...they're probably really angry with me," Tony said and then opened his eyes.  "Why aren't you angry with me?"

"Tony, I was never angry so much as concerned and, quite honestly, hurt," Ducky began.

"Ducky..." Tony started but Ducky raised his hand to forestall his apology.

"Tony, you have to understand how very much you mean to me...all of you do, you know.  You are my family.  To know that you were hurting was bad enough, but to learn that it was due to mistaken beliefs on your part and malice on the part of another old friend was very difficult to take."

"I am sorry, Ducky.  All I can do is promise to try and not let it happen again," Tony said sincerely and Ducky nodded with a smile and a pat to his hand.

"How is she, Ducky?" Tony asked.  He'd asked Jethro but he'd clammed up tight with anger in his eyes that had surprised Tony with its depth.  He'd spoken with Gerry about it and was coming to terms with the intensity of Jethro's feelings for him as well as learning to accept that maybe he really was worthy of it. 

"She's not doing well at all, I'm afraid.  And there's not much the doctors can do except to try and lessen her pain."  Ducky looked down for a moment and made a decision to confide in Tony.  "She has asked to see Jethro but to date he has refused."

Tony's initial reaction was good, but then he thought about it.  How much could he blame her for her actions?  She might always have hated Tony for having what she wanted, but would she have acted on those feelings if it hadn't been for the tumor?  There was no way to know.

"Is she lucid?  I mean, is she the Jenny we used to know or does she still think she has a chance with Jethro?"

"She has moments where she is not in touch with reality, but generally, she is fully aware of what she has done as well as what her current condition is.  I do believe she is seeking some form of closure before she succumbs to her illness."

Tony thought about it and as much as he wanted to say screw her he found that he couldn't.  Jethro had cared for her once, had used that to get her to surrender.  Would he really be at peace if he didn't close this door for good?

"I'll talk to him," he said without making any promises and Ducky accepted that.

They remained chatting awhile until they were interrupted by a quiet knock at the door.  Tony looked up and saw Abby peaking into the room.  He took a deep breath and gave her one of his best patented Tony DiNozzo smiles.  In a heartbeat she was sitting on the bed and holding him.

"I'm so sorry, Abs...really," Tony whispered into her hair. 

"You should be," Abby said with no hint of a smile.  "We're a family and family members help each other!  God, Tony, you know about the shovel talk...it applies to you, too!  Timmy and I'd have happily beaten her with a shovel but you gotta let us know when we need to."

"That's right, Tony," came a deeper voice from the doorway and Tony looked up to see McGee closely followed by Ziva. 

"I know you're all mad at me...I'm really sorry, guys.  I guess I was pretty messed up..."

"Knock it off, Tony!" McGee interrupted.  "We don't want you to feel bad...just try and promise never to do it again.  We are a family but we can't be a family if you're going to keep secrets."

"Yes, Tony.  McGee is right," Ziva piped in.  "There was no need to feel ashamed.  I have first-hand experience with agents of Jenny's caliber.  Her intent was to single you out and demoralize you.  She only succeeded because you forgot that we are stronger as a team."

Tony nodded and looked around him.  "Please forgive me..."

"Oh, Toneee..." Abby said as she crawled up next to Tony and curled into him.  "Of course we forgive you...that's what families do, too!"

Tony wrapped his arms around her feeling incredibly foolish and blessed at the same time.  And although he had to force the self-deprecating thoughts away that automatically clamored in his brain, he looked around at the smiling faces and felt glad that he really did belong to a great family.

Later all three filled Tony in on everything that had happened with the interrogations.  He was still stunned to find out that the third assailant had been Sacks, or Slacks as he called him.

"So who was the girl I heard talking?"

"Lisa Adkins from Evidence."

Tony looked down and frowned.  "She never did like me..."

"Well, she was dating Perkins..." Tim explained to resounding ‘ewwws' from both Abby and Ziva.  "And although she went along with some of it, mostly Perkins just used her."

"But how did they know I was going to be at that spot at that time?" Tony wondered.  It had been incredible timing.

Abby and Ziva giggled while Tim blushed.  "Well, they knew that, uh, you go, you know..."

"You go to the bathroom every hour on the hour, Tony," Abby piped in with a smirk.

Now it was Tony's turn to blush.  "Well, missy, just you wait until you have a future football player practicing field goals on your bladder..." at which point everyone dissolved into fits of laughter.

Tony turned back to Ziva, "so Lisa had the evidence?"

"Yes.  Agent Sacks removed it from your desk and gave it to Agent Perkins who in turn gave it to Lisa..."

"But get this," McGee added.  "She made Perkins sign the evidence log to preserve the chain..."

"You're kidding!" Tony exclaimed. 

"It is true," Ziva continued.  "She did not want to hinder Agent Walker's investigation and neither did Perkins."

"Yeah," Tony concluded.  "They just wanted to hurt me..."

"But we got them, Tony, all four of them...five, if you count the Director," Abby added.

"I guess I just don't understand why." Tony said with a frown.

"Jealousy, Tony.  Pure jealousy."  At Tony's frown Tim continued.  "Fornell asked you to transfer to the FBI more than once, right?"  He saw Tony nod.

"But he didn't mean it...besides, he knew I'd never leave Gibbs..."

"Well, you and Fornell might have known that but Sacks didn't."

"That almost sounds like...no!  You mean he wanted in Fornell's pants?" Tony asked incredulously.

"Or he wanted Fornell in his...I'm not sure how all that's decided..."

Tony snorted.  "Well, Mr. Mc Bi-curious, when two guys get together..."

"Whoa," Tim interrupted.  "TMI, Tony."  And again they all broke out into laughter.

"So what about the rest?"

"She promised Watts money and education...I think he thought that if he finished college he could become an agent as well.  And Perkins wanted in on Gibbs team.  Jenny promised him your position," Tim said with a smirk and Tony saw everyone else with the same expression.  Perkins wouldn't have lasted a day with Gibbs.

"So, how'd you finally break them, McMaster Interrogator?"

"I just told them the truth about Jenny and their part in this mess..."

"That's not all, Timmy..." Abby said with glee and Tony looked back to Tim expectantly.

"I, uh, did a little research..." he paused but then looked around at Abby and Ziva's smiling faces and Tony's curious one and then continued.  "I told them the background on a couple of inmates they'd be doing time with.  Douglas Pearson is in solitary accused of assault on another inmate...an ex-federal officer doing time for embezzling.  Do you remember Raymond Weiss?"  Tony nodded.  "Well, he's still in the infirmary with a colostomy bag after being brutally raped.  I made sure that Perkins and Watts knew that Pearson hates Feds and then I promised that he'd know who they were."

"Yes!" Abby crowed.  "You should have seen our Timmy, Tony...he had Perkins all pale and shaking in fear," she finished triumphantly.

"And," Ziva piped in with a smile, "Watts pissed off his pants..."

"Pissed in his pants, Ziva," Tim corrected as Ziva rolled her eyes.

Tony looked from one to the other in astonishment and began laughing loud and hard.  They continued laughing while Gibbs and Ducky stayed out in the hallway with smiles on their faces. 

"Excellent, isn't it Jethro?" Ducky said with a proud paternal smile.  "Now why don't you tell me about the baby shower our girls have planned over a cup of tea?"

Jethro smiled and led the way to the kitchen.

 

Chapter 27

The following week Tony was allowed out of bed to go downstairs.  He was lying on the couch his eyes alight with the glittering colors of the Christmas tree Jethro had placed in the living room and still smiling from Jethro's surprise.  Again he felt the need to fight back tears to match the ones he'd shed when he saw the nursery.   It was beautiful and to think he'd slept through most of the transformation of not only the nursery but Kelly's room.  He still wasn't sure how he felt about that but he trusted Jethro to do what felt right for him.  And to think that Abby had been in the house without trouncing on him while he slept!  Her determination not to bother him while he recovered both astounded and touched him.  He knew how hard that must have been for her and figured Tim had probably helped by sitting on her a bit.

Yes, he was as happy as he could be given the current situation but he was really sorry that he couldn't get out to do any Christmas shopping and he sighed.  He wasn't without resources and the internet had been his savior but the forced inactivity was getting him down.  Not to mention the fact that he'd hoped to be married at this point.  He couldn't even begin to start the process again between his condition and the holidays.  He sighed again. 

Jethro watched from the kitchen as he prepared another tray of food.  He knew how depressed Tony was becoming but he hoped that tonight would help.  Just as that thought crossed his mind the doorbell rang.  He crossed the room and opened the door to Ducky, Abby, Tim and Ziva, plus Cynthia, Agent Lee and several others from the agency including Leon Vance, all laden with packages.

Abby raced across the room to throw her arms around Tony.  "Happy baby shower, Tony!" she squealed and giggled at his shocked expression. 

Tony looked around the room at all of the smiling faces and then back to Jethro who looked at him intently.  He read the concern that maybe it hadn't been a good idea but it was.  God, it really was!  And he smiled just before everyone descended on him with their well wishes.  It was great.

The highlight of the evening, though, came about an hour later when Tony looked up from the package he was opening at the sound of the doorbell.  Jethro had gone to answer it and then returned with someone Tony truly hadn't expected to see, Jethro's father, Jackson.

"Am I too late?" the older man asked with a smile and then he laughed when Abby ran to throw her arms around him.

"Never too late!" she declared and led him over to Tony.

Tony was astonished and pleased beyond words.  Jethro hadn't said anything about telling his father about them, especially now.  But it meant the world to him.  He really liked Jackson and wanted desperately for them all to be a family.  He turned shining wet eyes to Jackson and put his hand out.  Jethro came up behind him and squeezed his shoulder.

Jackson clasped the proffered hand in his, "Welcome back, son," he said and smiled gently at the tear that rolled down Tony's face.  Squeezing the hand in his once more he turned slightly and asked, "Any more room on this couch for an old man?"

Tony smiled and brought his legs up and reached up to his shoulder to squeeze Jethro's hand while Jackson settled in.

"So, everybody, don't let me stop you...let's continue this party!" he said and everyone laughed. 

He motioned Abby over and asked her to get a box out of his bag that had been left by the door.  She did.  After Tony finished with his current gift, several tiny onesy outfits that Leon declared were the best things ever because the snaps down the front prevented you from having to pull soiled outfits over tiny baby heads, Abby handed Jackson's gift over to be opened.

Tony thanked Jackson and then gleefully ripped into the package to find an ancient and well-used teddy bear.

"It was Leroy's," he said and then looked up to see Jethro's astonished face.  "Came across that a few years ago and regretted never bringing it over before."  When Kelly was alive, when we were still talking, his regretful eyes said.

Jethro just nodded understanding his father's message.  He looked down to see Tony staring fixedly at the toy. 

"Does he have a name?" Tony asked in a tremulous voice.  He was trying desperately not to lose it completely in front of their family and friends.

Jethro bent down and gave Tony a kiss on the side of his head. "Bear," Jethro said quietly into his ear and Tony gave a shaky laugh. 

Tony nodded and turned very shiny green eyes to Jackson.  "Thank you," he said and Jackson nodded.

"This one's next," Abby said deciding that the men needed a break and put another gift on Tony's lap although she noticed that he kept Bear tucked under one arm and then she realized that Bear might never get to the baby...or at least not for a very long time.

Later, while everyone mingled and ate, Tony looked up at Jethro with a smile.  Jethro sat next to him on a chair from the kitchen while he drank the ubiquitous cup of coffee.

"When did you tell Jack?" he asked.

"Told him about us early last spring.  He wanted to visit but," Gibbs shrugged off the rest. 

Yeah, I left before he could, Tony mused.  "I'm glad he's good this us...with this," he said gesturing to his belly.

"Told him that if he couldn't accept it then we had no more to say to one another," Gibbs said flatly.

"Jethro..." Tony began, shock on his face at Jethro's ultimatum to his father.

Jack, who'd been chatting lightly with Tim, turned at that last surprised statement from Tony and then excused himself from Tim who nodded with complete understanding in his eyes.

"No, Tony," Jackson interrupted.  "He's right.  He found someone to love again.  It's right that he make his stand by your side and I respect that...hell, I applaud it.  Life's too short and happiness too brief to quibble over the package it comes in."

He smiled at Tony's surprise.  "Son, I knew back when you came to Stillwater that first time that there was something between the two of you.  I just waited until Leroy decided to tell me about it himself.  He finally did.  I was planning on coming over to visit during the summer but, well, things happened," he said not wanting to bring up Tony's departure.

"And then he called me to say you were back...he told me a little of what went on," Jackson paused at Tony's blush.  He patted him on the hand but decided he needed to continue.  "I'll tell you what I told him.  What matters is that you're both together again.  And now I've got a grandson on the way.  I couldn't be happier...except for waiting for him to do right by you..." he finished looking up to see Gibbs rolling his eyes and then back to Tony to see him blush yet again.  Tony sure was a good looking boy with his color high, he thought. 

"Dad..." Jethro complained but with a warning glint in his eye. 

"Well, be that as it may, welcome to the family, Son," he finished with another pat to Tony's hand. 

Tony leaned back with a bright smile on his face.  He loved it when Jackson called him son and felt a sudden pang for his lack of a father while growing up, but he knew having Jackson in his life would go a very long way towards making up for that lack.  He was content.  Well, except for the fact that Gerry had broached the subject of his visiting DiNozzo in prison.  He hadn't even come close to mentioning that to Jethro knowing exactly what he'd say.  So far he'd flat out refused but Gerry did finally get him to say he'd think about it.  And he would.  Just not yet.

--------------------------

Christmas morning was bright and clear, the weak winter sun shimmering off the newly fallen snow in a glittering display of light.  Inside the house Jackson sat in the kitchen sipping some coffee waiting for his boys to come downstairs.  They tended to tarry in the mornings but he didn't mind, gave him some quiet time to reflect on the changes in his life, in Leroy's life.  But he was happy.  How could he not be?  His relationship with Leroy, while still not perfect, was better than it had been in years.  His son was happy, something he never thought he'd see again after that last day they'd spoken at Shannon and Kelly's memorial.  They hadn't spoken for years after that, not until a case brought his son home.  But it was better now, and would get better still. 

He chuckled to himself as he recalled last night's events.  Tony had told him that he'd be at 38 weeks on January 10th.  He'd questioned the timing, asking Tony why he didn't count up to 40 weeks like he'd always heard.  Tony had blushed again and explained that 40 weeks were based on a woman's menstrual period.  It didn't count for men.  Well, that makes sense, he'd told him and watched with fascination as Leroy zeroed in on the color coming up again on Tony's face, that boy certainly blushed a lot, and he'd realized with some embarrassment that Leroy was getting hot and bothered, too.  Well, that knowledge was a little too close for comfort and he'd had to excuse himself.  When he'd returned he found his boys clenched up tight which wasn't unexpected.  What had been unexpected was the fact that they looked so right together and he'd realized that up until that moment he'd still had some reservations about their relationship.  Not anymore.

He took another sip of coffee and glanced at the kitchen clock.  Where were those boys of his?  He'd of thought Tony would be one of those folks who'd be down first thing Christmas morning ready to rip into every package under the tree.  Yeah, and maybe there was something else more interesting up stairs, he told himself.  You're not too old to understand that one, Jackson Gibbs.  And he chuckled again.

Upstairs Jethro pushed Tony's thigh just a bit higher as he pushed in deeper.  Tony's moan told him he'd hit the right spot and Tony reached down to hold his leg in that position.  They lay on their sides with Jethro spooned up tightly behind Tony as he thrust himself in as deeply as he could.  God, it was incredible.  Tony was so hot, so tight.  He skimmed his hand over Tony's belly, loving the feeling of silky skin over the taut swelling.  He kept up the steady pace and Tony moaned again.  He reached around Tony's thigh to run his hand over Tony's balls but he really couldn't reach his cock.  Tony lifted his thigh opening his legs more allowing Jethro to reach his goal and he began stroking.  Tony's panting breaths told him how close his lover was and he increased his pace.  A moment later he felt Tony stiffen and tighten around him.  He felt Tony spew over his fingers and he thrust a few more times and then filled Tony with his seed.

They lay together without moving for a bit and then Jethro began stroking Tony's skin again beginning at his thigh and slowly moving up to Tony's hip and back.  Light strokes over Tony's belly that moved up to Tony's chest to stroke lovingly over Tony's breasts, lightly rubbing and pinching Tony's nipples.  He felt Tony shiver and he stopped to pull the blankets back over them both.  Under the blanket he rubbed his hand up and down Tony's arm loving the feeling of the soft hair and silky skin as he warmed his lover up again.

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart," he whispered.

"Mmm," Tony responded and Jethro chuckled.  He rolled over a bit and Jethro shifted to allow him to lie on his back.  "Merry Christmas to you, too," he said with a smile which brightened up considerably as his brain kicked in and his eyes opened wide.  "It's Christmas!"

"Yeah, said that," Jethro said laconically but Tony was already waddling towards the bathroom and Jethro laughed getting up to follow him knowing that cleaning up was only in deference to his Dad being there.  That's alright, though, a slight delay wouldn't hamper Tony's enjoyment of the holiday.  Celebrating Christmas was too new to him to let anything do that, he thought with a pang, but he didn't stop to dwell.  There was too much to do today.  He waited for Tony to finish his shower.  They would have showered together except that there wasn't enough room for the two of them anymore and he smiled.  Tony shut off the water and Gibbs opened the curtain to hand him a towel and help him out of the shower.  He constantly worried about Tony slipping so he stayed close.   Once he knew Tony was set in the bedroom he took his own shower, his mind going over what he needed to do.

The team would be over to exchange gifts a bit later and he needed an update on how the rest of his surprise was going.  There was still a lot to do and he was glad he was now on leave until after the baby was born.  He'd been surprised when Leon had agreed to that just before he left town to celebrate the holiday with his family.  But, he realized that Leon knew him too well.  There was no way he'd keep his nose out of the investigation if he was going to the office not to mention the fact that one FBI agent wasn't enough to make him feel secure about Tony's safety. 

Tobias said that Constantino had disappeared without a trace which pissed Gibbs off to no end.  He'd also said that his boss was grousing about keeping Tony under protective custody.  He wasn't convinced that Constantino really posed a threat.  Gibbs didn't give a damn what the Assistant Director of the FBI thought, there was no way Tony would be without some protection until Constantino was in custody.  Even if it was only him.

A few minutes later Jethro took Tony's arm as they descended the stairs even though Tony held on to the rail.  Tony rolled his eyes at him but then he smiled fully accepting Jethro's hovering and Jethro realized that at that moment, he was very happy.  Yes, there were still issues to worry about but they seemed very far away.  Right now, his father waited for them downstairs and he had Tony back in his life.  Soon they would have a child together.  And it was Christmas.  He was happy and excited and in love and he wasn't going to waste a minute more thinking about bad stuff...at least not for now because there were presents for Tony to open.

And open them he did.  Jethro laughed at the pieces of wrapping paper scattered around the living room.  Tony smiled and laughed, ooh'd and aah'd at each gift, his own and everyone else's which made Gibbs glad that he'd asked Abby where Tony did his clothes shopping.  It had cost quite a bit but his boy was worth every penny he'd spent trying to get replacements for the wardrobe that had been seized along with all of Constantino's property.   Jack had even replaced the sweater he'd given Tony during that case that had taken them back to Stillwater.  Jethro could see how touched Tony had been that Jack had done that.  His eyes actually glowed as he reached over to embrace Jack and Jethro knew he'd cherish that moment for the rest of his life. 

Of course Tony wouldn't be wearing any of his new wardrobe for awhile, but he seemed alright with that saying it would give him more incentive towards losing the weight he'd gained, weight that made Stan happy and him horny, but that made Tony worry.  He just wished he could convince Tony that he really was beautiful.

He looked at his watch, his present from Tony, and noted the time with surprise.  Since they'd come downstairs late and had immediately begun opening presents, the morning had swiftly disappeared and it was now time for lunch.  He set aside the woodcarving set he'd gotten from his father and moved to the kitchen.  He made a swift perimeter check and verified the presence of the agent before he began pulling out ingredients for sandwiches.

----------------------

Later that day Tony sat on the couch with Abby, Tim and Ziva were on opposite chairs and all were munching on popcorn while they watched It's a Wonderful Life.  Jethro was in the kitchen with Jackson and Ducky as they discussed some more details.

"It's a smaller company, Jethro, but they provide a beautiful table.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed."

"I trust you, Duck," Gibbs said as he poured some more coffee.  Ducky had pulled some strings with friends to get their preparations together on such short notice, but it sounded as though everything was going well.

"So what can I do to help?" Jackson asked.

"You are going to help me keep Tony entertained while I help Ducky and everyone get all the last minute details taken care of," Jethro said with a smirk.

"No problem, son," Jackson replied, "I've got just the thing.  Brought the old photo album.  Thought Tony'd like seeing you as a baby."

Gibbs dropped his head with a sigh and Ducky chuckled.

"That will dispel the rumors, I'm afraid," Ducky said smiling.

Gibbs looked at him with a narrowed-eyed gaze.  "Rumors?"

"Yes, dear boy...the rumors indicating your origin...what was it...oh yes, springing full-grown from the head of Zeus was one.  Or was it that you were molded from clay and had life breathed into you by a group of mystics?"

Jack burst out laughing.  "Is that why you make them call you boss?  You have some kind of super powers?"

Gibbs just rolled his eyes and turned back to Ducky.

"My favorite, however, lent you qualities very much like those of a well-known superhero...the one that said you fell to earth in a capsule after your home planet exploded..."

At that point Gibbs turned to leave.

"Where you going?" Jack asked still laughing.

"To head-slap my team for spreading rumors..." Gibbs said over his shoulder to the sound of more laughter.

 

Chapter 28

That night Jethro pulled Tony into his arms and claimed that mouth he loved so well.  He ran his hands over Tony, relishing the feel of his warm skin and now generous curves.

"Good Christmas?" he asked hoping Tony was happy.  It was all he wanted.

Tony smiled up at Jethro loving the feeling of those calloused hands running over his body.  He could see the love and desire in his eyes but he could see the darkness there, too, and he worried.  He knew that Jethro was concerned about Gianni but there wasn't anything he could do about that.  And maybe the FBI was right and Gianni wasn't a threat.  They did, after all, pull the security team.  Fornell had called Jethro at shift change but Tony had already figured it out from watching his expression while he talked on the phone.  That little bit of warm relaxed feeling Jethro had allowed himself had suddenly disappeared and Jethro had gotten that dark look in his eyes, the one that said he was fully on alert.  That wasn't all that showed in his eyes, though.  He also knew that Jenny lurked in that darkness.  And that was something he could work with.

"Yup, got almost everything I wanted..." he said with a smirk and then smiled broadly when Jethro lifted an eyebrow.

"Almost?"

"Yeah," Tony said smiling gently.  This was going to be hard but he'd been thinking about it for awhile now.  It had to be done and now that he was off of bed rest he could be there...for himself as much as for Jethro.  But for a fleeting moment he wished that Gerry wasn't right about this one, then maybe he wouldn't be right about his father, too.  "And if wishes were horses..." Tony mused not realizing he'd spoken out loud.

"...beggars would ride...?" Jethro finished for him wondering what it was Tony wished for.

"Actually, I was going to finish it with ‘...there would be an easy explanation for all this horseshit...'"

Jethro stared at Tony wondering, yet again, just how his mind worked.

"What is it you want, Tony?" he asked, exasperation and confusion fighting for dominance.

"I want us to go and visit Jenny."

"Aw, hell..." Jethro said as he rolled out of bed.  He stood staring blindly at the wall next to the bed for a moment before turning and staring at Tony.  "Why?"

"I need to face her...and so do you."

"She's dying, Tony.  Ducky says it won't be long...she's sedated all the time because of the pain..." he said staring at Tony who remained silent. 

"Then we need to go right away," Tony said quietly but with conviction. 

Jethro sighed knowing Tony was right.  "Okay," he said, "tomorrow.  I'll get McGee and Ziva to back us up."

Tony nodded.  He hadn't been out of the house since his return, both Gerry and Stan coming to see him rather than the other way around.  He accepted that.  As far as Jethro was concerned, he would remain in protective custody until Gianni was caught.  And although Tony accepted that right now since he was so ungainly, they were going to have to discuss it after the baby was born.  Jethro couldn't protect him like this forever.  But for now, with a nod and a smile for the man he loved more than life itself, he held out his hand inviting Jethro back into their warm bed.

-----------------------

"You're running a fever again," Gina said as she wrung out the cloth once more.  She lightly stroked it across the ailing man's brow noting the pale skin and deep lines in the gaunt face.  He'd been sick for weeks and she knew that the threat of infection had become real.  "I've got to get you to a doctor, a real one."

Gianni Constantino stared hard at Gina's face.  Yes, he knew he needed a doctor but doctors cost money and the only way he could get cash was if he sent Cavuto with instructions on how to get to his stash.  He wasn't sure just how much to trust her.  Sure she'd helped him get away that day, him with his gut shot up and another hit in his shoulder, and she'd been with him all along while that drunken ex-Army medic cousin of hers had patched him up, but he still wasn't sure why.  And not knowing pissed him off.  But not nearly as much as Anthony had.  He shut his eyes as a wave of fury rushed over him leaving him shaky and panting from the pain in his gut.

"Are you alright?" Gina asked timidly.  She never knew what Gianni was thinking now.  Not ever since that bastard Anthony had come into their lives.  She felt disgust churn her stomach when she thought about him, unaware that her reaction was very close to what Gianni was feeling but for a very different reason.  She was in love with Gianni, had been for a long time.  Ever since he'd pulled her from that strip club she'd been dancing in at the age of 18.  He'd needed someone to provide cover for him and she'd proved amenable.  He treated her well and had given her the occasional trinket when she'd pleased him.  Sex played a very small part in their relationship and she found that she didn't mind that.  But deep inside she felt that if he ever really gave her a chance he'd learn just what a woman could really do for him.  And it wouldn't be a knife in the back like that bastard Anthony had given him.  All he'd been was a way into the DiNozzo Family and even that had turned out to be a lie.

"No, damnit," Gianni said through his grimace.  He had no choice now.  He had to trust Cavuto.  "Listen up," he said and gave Gina the instructions she needed to access the funds he'd set aside as a safety net.  She'd be able to get the doctor he knew about.  Then, when he was better, he'd be able to get back at those fuckers who'd betrayed him.  DiNozzo was on that list but Anthony was at the top.  Yes, he'd get both Anthony and his son back and then he'd teach Anthony what it meant to cross Gianni Constantino.

--------------------------------

The next morning Tim and Ziva met with Gibbs while Tony finished getting dressed.  Gibbs was directing them to follow in a separate car when he heard Tony begin to come downstairs.  He threw a finger up in a ‘just a minute' gesture and jogged out of the room.

Tony saw him coming up the stairs before he'd even taken a step to go down.

"How do you do that?" he asked with a grin as Jethro took hold of the arm that wasn't holding on to the handrail. 

"What?"

"Know exactly when I'm coming downstairs, it's like you have ESP or something," Tony joked.

"Or something," Jethro agreed as they made their way down.  In reality, Jethro did constantly listen for Tony's whereabouts and ever since that one time he'd overbalanced on the steps and had nearly fallen, Jethro wouldn't let him go downstairs by himself.  Tony greeted everyone as they met at the bottom of the stairs.  They said their goodbyes to Jack and then they gathered their things to leave. 

Tim moved ahead of Gibbs and Tony down the hallway and checked out Jenny's room while Ziva remained outside.  Once he was satisfied the room was clear he and Ziva stationed themselves at opposite ends of the hallway.   They'd remain in place until Gibbs and Tony were done having already said their goodbyes to Jenny during a previous visit.  Today they were here on business.  Gibbs gave them each a nod and walked up to the room, his arm around Tony's waist.  They were met by her doctor who told them that he had reduced her medication enough for her to be lucid but he asked that they make their visit short.  He explained about the amount of pain she was in and that he couldn't, in conscience, allow her to remain like that for long.  Gibbs nodded.  He and Tony turned seeing Ducky standing near the door.

"I'm very glad you came, Jethro," he said solemnly.

"Still don't think it'll do her any good.  You heard the doctor; our being here will cause her a lot of pain."

More than one kind of pain, no doubt, Ducky thought.  "Yes, but it is necessary"

"For her?"

"For all of you, Jethro.  You and Tony need to confront her for your own sakes."

Gibbs turned away, the muscles in his jaw working hard which Tony saw and he wondered at his reluctance.  Jethro wasn't a man to shy away from a tough situation.  There was more to it than that.  But Tony still believed it had to be done.  He reached out to squeeze his hand and Jethro looked back at him and then gave him a nod that said ‘let's do this'.

Together they walked into the quiet room, the only sound being that of the monitors and her panting breaths.  At their entrance she turned her head but her face held no expression save for the lines across her forehead that gave testimony to the pain she was in.  Her eyes narrowed when she saw them, noted the still clasped hands and the size of Tony's lush roundness.

"So," she said through a grimace, "are you here to gloat?" she asked looking at Tony.

"No, Jenny," Tony said as he released Jethro's hand and moved closer to the bed. "I just wanted to say goodbye."

"Goodbye and good riddance, no doubt," she said with a slight sneer.  "So say it and go, be happy in your little world with everything that I wanted, everything that you took from me."

Tony just shook his head, still amazed at her mistaken beliefs, knowing that she would go to her grave blaming him for having what she wanted.  But the fact was, she'd given it all up of her own free will.  He'd had nothing to do with it.  He looked at Jenny sadly, remembering her intelligence, strength and determination.  It had gotten her what she thought she wanted which was to be the first female director of a Federal agency.  And she'd done it, giving up whatever secret desires she'd had along the way.  But now, due to her own actions and the deadly happenstance of fate, it was all gone leaving her a bitter and withered woman, worn away by disappointment, regrets and pain with one exception...the hatred that still burned in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Jenny but the truth is you never had him," Tony said.  He didn't want to hurt her but she'd screwed him over badly and he wasn't about to let her off the hook easily.  "You set up a pretty good plan, but you made one major mistake.  You didn't take Leroy Jethro Gibbs fully into account.  I, for one, should have known he wouldn't let me just walk away," Tony said looking at Jethro with warmth in his eyes that was easily returned.

Jenny looked at them and she knew he was right, she hadn't taken into account what, or who, Jethro truly wanted.  No, he didn't let you walk away, not like he did me...  And the reality of the situation finally sunk in at that moment.  He let her walk away.  Tenacious, stubborn, never-give- up-as-long-as-there's-breath-in-my-body Leroy Jethro Gibbs had let her walk away, which meant that he'd never meant to keep her.  And, subsequently, that she'd never really had him, either, except for that all too brief moment in Paris.  She closed her eyes as the pain of the realization superseded that of her illness for a brief moment.  And when it subsided she nearly laughed out loud despite her agony at her own stupidity.  And now what was she left with?  She nodded as the anger drained away from her leaving her with nothing, an empty shell.  Physically, she even looked more shrunken than before.  But she wasn't done, yet.  Her father said never let them see you beaten and she'd always believed everything her father had ever told her.  So she may have lost just about everything else but she still had her pride and she lifted her chin.

"Goodbye, Tony," she said in dismissal.  "Go and have a healthy baby."

Tony looked hard at her, seeing the resignation and the absence of anger.  Whatever was going through her head she was done with him, just as he was done with her.  With a final nod he whispered "goodbye," and then turned and walked out of the door.

When he left Jenny turned to look at Jethro who still watched as Tony quietly closed the door.

 "You lied to me, told me you wanted Paris," she said sounding like the old Jenny, full of indignant pride.

"Had to get the gun out of your hands," he said unapologetically and she nodded.  It had worked.  They remained silent for a moment.

 "You hurt what's mine, Jenny, and for that I won't forgive you," he added with a hard edge to his voice. 

"I'm not going to say I'm sorry, Jethro.  I had to try," she said with that same lifted chin.  Besides, apologizing is a sign of weakness and I'll be damned if I give you that now, she told herself.  Jethro wouldn't want it and she didn't know if she wouldn't have done it again, tumor or no. 

"Yeah," Jethro acknowledged.  She'd always been a determined bitch

"You really love him," she said as a statement.

"Yeah," he said again, the answer simple. "But I still wouldn't have wanted it to end this way."

"Nor I, Jethro.  Is there a chance you'd do something for me, for old times' sake?"

Jethro looked at her with narrowed eyes.  How could she possibly ask anything of him at this point?

"There's a limiter on the morphine pump, keeps me from overdosing." 

"You not getting enough?"  He knew she was hurting.

"Not for what I want.  Never wanted to go out this way."

"You were content to let Tony live out his life in pain.  Me, too."  Memories of Tony curled around that pillow, telling him about the assault, all the lies...  The images played through his mind and his eyes hardened.

Jenny looked at him and then closed her eyes.  Jethro was the only other person who might have done this for her.

Opening her eyes she decided to try again.  "Please, Jethro," she begged.

"No, Jenny.  I won't jeopardize anything for you."  And he wouldn't.  Just as he'd told McGee that time when he was chasing down the suspect who'd shot his girlfriend, he'd lost his chance to shoot him once he had him down and there were witnesses to his actions.  Well, he'd lost his chance to kill Jenny when he'd decided to disarm her and now was no different.  There were no laws supporting euthanasia in this state.

"Then go be with him," she said as she closed her eyes once more, all of the pain, both physical and emotional, becoming too much to handle.

"Goodbye, Jenny," he said turning his back on her and walking out.

Her doctor was waiting outside and he entered as soon as Jethro left the room.  He said nothing as he increased her morphine.  He checked her vital signs and quietly took a tissue to wipe the tears sliding slowly into her hair.  He noted with approval the easing of his patient's physical discomfort as she slid into unconsciousness but knew it wouldn't be much longer.  He looked up as Dr. Mallard re-entered the room. 

"It will be soon, Doctor," he said.

Ducky merely nodded.  He would sit by her side until she was gone out of respect for the woman she'd once been.  He saw the dosage of morphine she was receiving and knew that she would never again regain consciousness.  It was a very sad way to die, he thought, alone and in pain.  She had asked him if he would facilitate her eventual demise, but he'd refused on moral grounds.  He wondered briefly if she'd asked Jethro as well.  With a sigh acknowledging the fact that he'd never ask, he settled down to wait.

Both Tony and Gibbs were silent as they left the hospital hand in hand.  Ziva and Tim again followed separately.  Again, and without a word, they checked out the house finding Jack watching TV quietly in the living room.  They gave the all clear and, by unspoken agreement, they left Gibbs and Tony to enter their home on their own.  Gibbs and Tony gave Jack a brief greeting and then went upstairs where they lay down together and held one another silently for a very long time.

 

Chapter 29    Second Chance by Trisha Yearwood, At Last by Etta James

New Year's Day dawned bright and clear and Tony rolled over, reaching out with one hand to find the bed empty and cold. 

"Jethro?" he called, wondering if his lover was in the bathroom but received no answer.  Rubbing his eyes he struggled to sit up and wondered if he looked as much like one of those big walruses as he felt.  With one hand rubbing his belly he reached for his watch and blinked his eyes.  Then he turned to look at Jethro's nightstand to confirm what he'd seen.  Yes, it was after 10AM.  Why had Jethro let him sleep so long?  But, more importantly, why didn't he wake him up in his usual fashion?  With either his fingers or his cock buried inside of him?  Then he remembered the night before and decided that Jethro had just let him sleep in because of their late night.

He ran a hand over his hair to smooth it down and smiled slightly as he recalled the night before.  It had been the quietest but most heartfelt New Year's Eve he'd ever had.  The team had again come over and Tony had been wowed at the glamorous outfits both Abby and Ziva were wearing.  And even his Probie was dressed to the nines looking good in a new Versace suit that had made Tony pretty envious.  He figured Tim's latest book was probably doing pretty well.  Ducky had also been there but had declined accompanying the three who said that they were going clubbing after midnight.  Tony had pouted for a bit wishing that he could go too, but it was all a show.  He was tired and wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed with Jethro.  So that's what they did once the kids left to go play.  And now here Tony sat wondering where his lover was.  Probably down in the basement, he thought but then looked up when Jethro walked into the room.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Jethro said as he leaned in to give Tony a kiss.  "Ready to shower?"

Tony looked at him with a smile.  "Actually, I'm more ready for my usual wake-up..." he said with a wiggle of his eyebrows. 

Jethro laughed.  He laughed.  And Tony eyed him suspiciously.  He could tell that Jethro was in a good mood, but he was a little surprised at that reaction.

Jethro noted Tony's confusion and he realized that he needed to tone his mood down a bit.  But it would be hard.  Tony needed to get a bite to eat and then Tim would be over later to pick both Tony and Jack up to go to Ducky's house.  He, on the other hand, needed to get to Ducky's house now to finalize the arrangements.

"Ducky asked me to come over to help him move some of his mother's furniture, remember?  We talked about it last night and I figured I'd let you sleep in a bit more but I need to get moving," he said very logically.

Tony nodded.  He did remember the request and so, with a sigh, he levered himself out of bed and made his way into the bathroom.  Jethro, as usual, hovered outside until he was done and then helped him out of the shower.  Once he was done shaving he went into the bedroom to get dressed.  They went downstairs to find Tim already there.

"Hey, Probilicious, you're up and about early...what, not get the action you and that lovely pair of ladies expected last night?"

"Oh, we got plenty of action, Tony.  Action that would make your jaw fall to the floor..." Tim said teasingly.

"Oooh, do tell, Mc Party Monster, and don't spare the details..." Tony said with a laugh and then Jethro gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as a goodbye.  Tony waved and then followed Tim into the kitchen. 

Jack joined Jethro a moment later.  "Everything all set?" he asked quietly.

"Just about.  There's a few more details.  I'm headed over there right now," Jethro responded just as quietly.

Jack just smiled and nodded.  "Then I'll go do my part.  See ya later, son," he said with a squeeze to Jethro's arm and a broad smile.  Jethro nodded and left.

An hour later while the three men poured over Jack's photo album and they'd secured promises from Tim to get copies of quite a few, Tim's cell phone rang. 

"Alright, see you in a bit," he said and then hung up.  "We're invited over to Ducky's for lunch, Gibbs said he'd wait for us there," he responded to Tony's questioning look.  Tony smiled and Jack said he could use a bite so they left a few minutes later.

It wasn't until they'd arrived at Ducky's that Tony began to get a clue.

"Why are there so many people here?" he asked suspiciously but Tim only smiled and they made their way inside.  They were met at the door by a very hyper Abby and a broadly smiling Ziva, something suspicious in itself, both dressed in silver sheaths with metallic silver shawls in a spider web pattern. 

"What's going on?" he asked.

"It's our wedding day," Jethro said as he joined them.

Tony's eyes opened wide, shock evident in every feature.  He looked at Jethro who smiled gently as Tony's eyes filled with tears.  He pulled an unresisting Tony into his arms.

"We're getting married, baby, so you need to go upstairs and get ready," he whispered into Tony's ear.

"I love you, Jethro," he said tremulously when Jethro stepped back.

"I love you, too, sweetheart," he said and then gestured up the stairs.  "Now go on..."

And Abby and Ziva took him by the arms and helped him go upstairs. 

"Wait a second, are you like my maids of honor or something?" Tony asked in confusion, unsure of just how it was all going to work.  His original arrangements had only Jethro and him standing in front of a justice of the peace.

"Gibbs said to arrange it however we wanted, so Ducky is Gibbs' best man, Tim is yours and Ziva and I are grooms' women, Ziva for Gibbs and me for you!" she replied happily.

They moved a stunned Tony into what used to be Mrs. Mallard's bedroom when she lived upstairs.  Hanging by the armoire was Tony's suit.  Made by Versace, it was a silvery grey and had a shirt hanging next to it in a lighter shade of grey.  His tie was dark charcoal and grey stripe and his grey Dolce and Gabbana shoes sat neatly on the floor beneath the suit.  He sighed happily when he saw it but a small frown suddenly formed between his eyes.

"What's the matter, Tony?" Abby asked when she saw the frown.

"I was supposed to have it fitted before the wedding...that was a few weeks ago and since then..." he trailed off as he rubbed his tummy lightly.

"We got your latest measurements from Stan when he examined you last week," she explained.

Tony suddenly understood the different measurements Stan had taken and he smiled.  Instead of the usual one from his pubic bone to his belly button Stan had also had him stand up and he'd measured him around his waist...well, if you could consider him actually having a waist right now.

"Well, alright!" he exclaimed and moved to get dressed taking the slacks and shirt into the bathroom.  The girls would have to help him put his shoes on, but that was okay.  Nothing could dim his spirits right now.  He was getting married!

A short while later Abby and Ziva again helped Tony down the stairs.  Tim met him at the door to the library.  He was again wearing his sharp suit and Tony thought he looked great and told him so.

"Thanks, Tony, that means a lot coming from you," Tim said sincerely. 

Just then Tony's eyes opened wide.  "What about the rings...I never picked them up!" he said in a mild panic.

"Not to worry, Tony," Tim said patting his side pocket.  "I've got Gibbs' ring for you right here."

Tony visibly relaxed.

"And I have yours for Jethro, Tony," Ducky added. 

Tony turned to greet Ducky but his eyes were caught as he got his first glimpse of Jethro.  He'd walked up beside Ducky wearing a black Armani suit, crisp white shirt and a tie that matched Tony's only in a black and silver-grey stripe.  Tony found himself getting literally weak in the knees at the sight of Jethro looking so handsome.  He belatedly became aware of Tim's hand on his arm so he must of swayed a bit and suddenly Jethro was at his side.

"You okay, Tony?" he asked in concern.

"You look so damn good, Jethro," Tony said, his heart bursting inside of him as he threw his arms around Jethro. 

"Maybe I should wear suits more often if this is your reaction," he teased gently and Tony laughed a little self-consciously while wiping at his eyes.

"Come on, boy," Gibbs said quietly into Tony's ear and then more loudly said, "Let's do this."

And they did. Ducky placed himself at Ziva's right and put his arm out for Ziva to take.  Tim lined up behind him with Abby at his side.  Behind them Gibbs stood and took Tony's right hand in his.  At Ducky's signal music began to play then two men appeared magically from somewhere to open the double doors. As Ducky and Ziva walked majestically down the aisle between chairs filled with NCIS personnel, Tony saw the library transformed into a Christmas wonderland, festooned with bright decorations and a huge tree covered in gorgeous ornaments that Tony was sure were priceless family heirlooms.  Next to the tree was an arbor covered in white poinsettia in front of which stood man in a dark suit holding a book in his hands.

Tim and Abby had nearly reached the end of the aisle and they turned and walked up to stand on the man's right, opposite Ducky and Ziva who stood to the man's left.  Gibbs was walking at Tony's side when he finally realized that the man ahead of them was Judge Morella, the same judge who had presided over his father's trial and who had put him away for life and he nearly laughed.  Ducky said that he knew the man and that he was a good and fair judge, but they must be very good friends if Ducky was able to get him to preside over their wedding on short notice and on New Year's Day.  He remembered the kindness of the judge while he gave his testimony.  He'd been so gentle that he'd helped immensely in putting Tony at ease during that stressful time.  He smiled at Tony as he walked down the aisle at Gibbs' side.  They were nearly to the front when Tony saw Jack sitting in the first chair on the right.  He had a huge smile on his face which both Tony and Jethro returned as they passed.  Cynthia and Jimmy sat opposite Jack on Tony's side.

The wedding itself went without a hitch and Tony was captivated by the beauty of the simple ceremony.  Jethro's kiss at the end was sweet but his eyes held a possessive gleam that made Tony's heart do a somersault in his chest.  At the end of the kiss they turned to face the audience.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present Leroy Jethro and Anthony Dante Gibbs," Judge Morella intoned to hearty applause.

The rest of the time passed in a glorious haze for Tony.  There was a beautiful meal of prime rib served on china with rivers of champagne in crystal flutes for all the guests.  Both Ducky and Tim gave wonderful and mercifully short toasts.  Later, in what used to be Mrs. Mallard's bedroom downstairs, they danced to a DJ amid Ducky's apologies for not being able to acquire the string quartet he'd wanted.  Secretly Tony was glad.  There was a song he had in mind that he wanted to dance to with Jethro.  But before he could approach the DJ Jethro led him out to the dance floor and the heartfelt voice of Trisha Yearwood filled the room singing about second chances.  Tony felt his heart clench as he heard the lyrics to the song Jethro had chosen for them.

What do you do when love comes along
And offers your heart a chance to move on
With no guarantees, no safety net
You trust what you feel, you take that first step

Just close your eyes
Reach for the moment
Before it slips by
Here is your second chance
Take it and fly

The weight of the world, the need to survive
Has made you believe, that you've got no right
Then out of the blue, you meet someone
Who offers a place, warm as the sun

Just close your eyes
Reach for the moment
Before it slips by
Here is your second chance
Take it and fly

Just when you think love is a distant dream
Oh, fate give you wings

Just close your eyes
Reach for the moment
Before it slips by
Here is your second chance
Take it and fly

The song ended and they pulled apart but Jethro brought Tony back into his arms when he saw the tears in his eyes.

"Thank you, Tony," he whispered, "for the second chance..."

"Yours always, Jethro," Tony whispered back.  At that point more dancers took to the floor.  Tony thought Jethro was done but he kept his arms around Tony and they danced for quite awhile, sometimes changing partners with Abby and Ziva.

Later Tony did get to dance with Jethro to the song he'd picked out.  He had played this song for Jethro while they went through his jazz collection one night a long time ago.  This time Tony led while the soulful voice of Etta James filled the room with ‘At Last'. 

"Liked this one when you played it for me, baby, knew then it would always be special," Jethro whispered.  Tony just pulled him in closer unable to voice anything through the lump in his throat.

The only dark moment came a bit later.  Tony smiled and thanked yet another well wisher from NCIS and he wondered not for the first time, where all these people were when he thought the entire agency against them.  He found out later that many of them had been told that Tony was having some mental issues with his pregnancy and needed to be left in peace.  Since no one wanted to upset Tony and since he did look as though he wasn't doing well, they followed the Director's orders and gave Tony his space.  Tony just shook his head at Jenny's plan.  Well done, Jenny, he thought bitterly.  She'd read him perfectly and organized her campaign just right.

"Hey, son," Jack said gently breaking into Tony's dark thoughts.   He'd listened in on the conversation, well, apology mostly, from another one of those folks that worked with Leroy.  He sat next to Tony at the head table while all of the other young folks danced.   "This is no place for thoughts of her.  She failed, Leroy made sure of that.  And besides, she's gone now and can't hurt anyone anymore, okay?" he said squeezing Tony's shoulder gently with one hand.

"You're right, Jack," Tony said as he blinked away the ever-present moisture.

"And one other thing, son.  I'd be proud if you'd call me Dad the way Leroy does, if you're of a mind to," Jack asked somewhat tentatively.  He knew of Tony's issues with his own father and he wasn't sure if his request wouldn't bring up more bad thoughts.  His concerns, though, were allayed by the bright smile he received in response.

"Really?" Tony asked like a little kid being offered the best thing in the world.

"Wouldn't have said it otherwise," he responded with a smile and then a laugh when Tony threw his arms around Jack much as he had during Christmas. 

Gibbs was making his way back over to Tony having seen the sad look pass his husband's face while he spoke with Leon Vance but he paused when he saw Tony reacting so well to whatever his father had said and he relaxed.  He got to the table just in time to hear his father's next words.

"So tell me, son," Jack asked curiously.  "Am I supposed to ask you to dance, too?  I mean you're married to my son, now, but I'm not sure of the protocol here..."  He smiled when Tony laughed heartily.

"You can if you want to, Dad," Tony answered, "but it's not necessary."

Jethro laughed, too, when he got to the table.  "Mom always did say that you had two left feet, Dad."

"That she did, son that she did.  So, if it's not required of me I think I'll just sit here, if you don't mind," he said.  "Besides, I see Ducky making his way over here so you two go on out there and keep dancing.  ‘Specially since you both look like you know what you're doing," he said amiably, proud that both of his boys looked so good out there.

"That they do, indeed," Ducky added as he joined them.  "But Stan was just saying that you must take care not to overdo it, Tony, as you do fatigue quite easily nowadays."

"Don't worry, Duck.  I'll take care of him," Gibbs said assuredly as he placed a gentle finger over Tony's lips to hush his argument and then he pulled Tony out onto the dance floor. 

Tony gave in gracefully as he placed his left hand on Jethro's shoulder.  He'd never known Jethro liked to dance so much.  The fact that he danced so well wasn't much of a shock, though.  Tony didn't know of anything Jethro did poorly...well, except for having long conversations, maybe.

"Mmm, I could dance with you forever," Tony said dreamily into Jethro's ear.  "But I wish I could hold you a little closer," he said ruefully as he looked down at his belly.  He heard Jethro chuckle.

"Soon, sweetheart, very soon," Jethro whispered back and swept his husband away into the night.

Later that night as they lay together in bed after Jethro had loved Tony so often he'd lost count, Tony was drifting off but glanced yet again at their intertwined fingers and the gleam of his wedding ring.  The inscription said ‘My Boy Forever' and Tony knew he had everything he ever wanted right here, right now.  And Jethro wore his ring with its own inscription that read ‘Yours Always'. 

"Absolutely," Tony whispered to the dark as he listened to the steady sound of his husband's breathing and slowly drifted off to sleep.

 

At Last

Lyrics by Etta James

At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At last