RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Chapter 20

“McGee, where’s Tony?” Gibbs barked out as soon as McGee answered.

“Boss, are you back? We heard the news…congratulations!” Tim said enthusiastically.

“Yeah…where’s Tony? He’s not answering his phone.”

“We-well, I don’t know, Boss. He was at his desk earlier…” his voice faded off as he tried to look over the partitions to Tony’s desk.

“Find him and have him call me back. I’m getting out of here earlier than I thought, wanted to let Tony know.”

“Sure, Boss, I’ll find him. Glad to hear you’re coming back soon…Tony’s been…uhh,” McGee paused unsure whether or not to tell Gibbs about his worry. Tony had been looking worse and worse lately but he wasn’t talking, not to Ducky or anyone and they’d all tried contacting Gibbs but there’d been a block on all communications. They’d even gone to the Director who said she’d take care of it but nothing had changed as far as Tim could see.

“Spit it out, McGee! What’s wrong?” Tim was sure that Gibbs was probably near to breaking whatever phone he was on.

“Boss, he’s not looking too good and he’s not talking, won’t let us close. He’s been going home every afternoon and the Director is really angry…”

“Goddamnit! You find him, McGee! Now! I’ll get there as soon as I can.”

“Yes, Bo…” but the line had gone dead. Tim ran a hand over his face. They’d been trying to find out what was wrong but had gotten nowhere. Tony refused to see Ducky or Abby and he wouldn’t even let them in the house. But at least Gibbs was on his way and he’d be able to get some answers. Tim just hoped it wasn’t too late although he couldn’t really say why he felt that way.

------------------------

Tony went home and packed what few things he thought he’d need and then he slipped away from the lone agent watching him. It had been a piece of cake and he didn’t worry at all about the ramifications to that particular agent. He was one of the assholes who constantly gave him problems.
He got into Gibbs’ car (Gibbs, not Jethro, he reminded himself) knowing exactly where he would abandon it. He arranged for a taxi to pick him up two blocks away from that spot at a café he knew about and from there he’d go to a used car dealer. Cash in hand he moved mechanically following his quickly thought-out plan. He wouldn’t need a cell phone for awhile, he could pick one up when he figured out where he was going.

Tony drove for what seemed like hours, his mind numb. He’d find a place and then contact Stan. He knew there were two other clinics in the US that had opened making Stan a very wealthy man. He was glad for him but mostly he was glad that he’d have the care he needed to have his baby, although he wished it was Stan doing the delivery. He just hadn’t decided which of the two cities he’d go to. The one in San Francisco was probably out since Tony couldn’t fly in his current condition. That left Boston. Maybe he could convince Stan to come to him?

Deciding he couldn’t make the full eight-hour-plus drive in one go, he pulled over at the nearest hotel. Paying cash to a weaselly little man who gave him dirty looks which he ignored, he settled into a non-descript room and laid down refusing to think about what he’d left behind and then exhaustion overtook him.

It didn’t take long for the nightmare to begin. Tony moaned and rolled his head.

“Mama, why do I have to wear this? The other boys have long pants and sweaters…” Tony complained quietly. He didn’t want to upset his mother even if she was just sipping tea but he knew what would happen when he went down stairs. It would start with surprised looks that would turn into smirks and then outright laughter when they saw his white sailor suit. He looked down miserably and noticed that one of his knee-high socks had sagged just a bit. He fixed it and then tugged his shorts down a bit to make them look longer.

“Stop that!” his mother warned, that mean look coming into her eyes. She was just drinking tea, wasn’t she?

The boys laughed and pointed, practically falling on the ground as they caught sight of him. Tony self-consciously tugged at his sleeves, fingering the gold braid and stars sewn into the white cloth. He could feel his stomach churning and his face turning red. He wanted to go to the bathroom but Mama was up there, he could see that she had that look was in her eyes and her hand was raised. He wanted to run somewhere, anywhere…so he did. And found himself in his father’s study.

“Worthless, you stupid bastard. You are totally worthless. I told you to stay in your room when my business associates were here but you couldn’t even do that, could you?” And Tony saw the disgust in his eyes as he raised his fist. A sudden pain blossomed across the side of his head.

The fist raised again and struck him across the face but he couldn’t stop it, his hands were chained to the belt around his chest, crushing the white material of his sailor suit. Only he wasn’t a little boy, he was tall, he was a man...

Tony looked around the bullpen and saw Ziva and McGee laughing at his suit and then Ducky and Abby joined in. He looked behind them and saw Palmer shaking his head with a broad smile on his face. No, no, this can’t be happening…

“Your father said you were worthless, I should have listened,” Gianni growled in his ear. “The only thing you’re good for is a fuck, so turn around…”

Gianni pushed him forward until his was leaning over his desk, his pants fell around his ankles and he heard Gianni tell someone to cover him up because he looked like a pregnant female ape.

Tony turned and saw Jenny draping a blanket over his now-big belly. “At least he thinks you’re good for this because we all know you’re a lousy agent, Tony. Gibbs told me you’re a lousy lover, worthless as a partner…”

“Grab your gear, there’s a dead sailor…”

Jethro! Tony struggled against the hand at his nape but Gianni was still fucking him.

“Grab your gear, we’ve got a dead Marine…”

“Boss, boss…take me with you!”

“Forget it DiNozzo, you’re worthless to me…”

And Tony saw the disgust in his eyes that shifted between the brown of his father and Gibbs’ own blue.

“I can’t take you looking like that…” he said as he gestured to Tony’s stomach.

“Grab your gear, there’s a dead petty officer…”

“Jethro…boss! Please take me with you…don’t leave me, please…!” Tony cried out to a retreating Gibbs but he kept walking and Tony kept screaming...

And Tony woke with tears streaming down his face, lost and confused until he remembered where he was and why and he curled down around the pillow that was clutched in his hands and sobbed while his heart broke.

-------------------

Gibbs stalked into the bullpen furious beyond belief. He looked around seeing only Ziva and his fury increased.

“Status!” he barked.

“We are unable to locate Tony. He slipped away despite the FBI agent watching the house. McGee is downstairs with Abby attempting to find any trace of him through his or…your credit cards, bank accounts and cell phone. There is a BOLO out on his, or rather, your car.”

“He’s too smart to leave any obvious trails,” Gibbs said as he moved to his desk and retrieved his phone, badge and gun. He’d been told to leave the phone behind and had been issued a temporary one while on his mission but all comm. had been limited to local, mission-essential only. He’d sent messages through Jenny and had been told that Tony was doing well. It all had to have been lies, but why would she lie about that? Turning on the phone he saw message after message from Gerry, Tony’s therapist.
Damnit!

Ziva turned when her phone rang and she snapped it up.

“The local police have found your car…”

“Let’s go. You drive.”

Ziva only raised her eyebrows in surprise but noted that Gibbs was busy retrieving his messages.

Gibbs stomach twisted in knots. Not only were there very concerned messages from Gerry, Stan had also left some messages. They said they’d try the office. Why hadn’t he been contacted? Damnit, Jenny, what the fuck are you up to?

“Did any of you get the messages I sent through Jenny?”

Ziva shot him a surprised look and Gibbs decided then and there he was going to kick Jenny’s ass.

“We did not receive any messages. We tried but were unable to reach you. The Director said there was a communications blackout at your location. We also told her that Tony’s doctor was trying very hard to reach you and she said that she would handle it…”

There’d been no communications blackout, all comm. just had to go through MTAC over secure lines. Gibbs slammed his hand on the dash. Jenny…it had all been Jenny.
Sometime later they’d ascertained that Tony had abandoned the car and a man of his description had taken a cab to a local used car dealership where a small sedan had been purchased with cash. Where had Tony gotten the money? Gibbs wondered. All of his own accounts had been closed by DiNozzo. He had no money of his own except for what Gibbs had given him and his recent paychecks. He’d already spoken with Gerry who couldn’t tell Gibbs where Tony might have gone but he did tell him that Tony was under extraordinary pressures at work. Gerry had been so concerned when Tony canceled his appointments that he tried to contact Gibbs regardless of patient confidentiality. His worry increased when he was unable to reach Gibbs as well.

Stan wasn’t able to say much regarding Tony’s plans either but he did let Gibbs know how serious he considered Tony’s physical state. The half-day restriction explained where Tony was going everyday but why wasn’t it in his records? And why would Jenny not know that he was on restricted duty? Gibbs was coming up with far too many questions, but it did seem that most of them involved Jenny somehow. He would get to her as soon as he spoke with Tony’s doctors.

“Stan, it’s physically impossible for Tony to have this baby on his own. Who else is capable of helping him?”

“Any one of the doctor’s in either of my two clinics besides this one.” Stan replied. “But I don’t think he would try to make it to San Francisco…his physical state wouldn’t have allowed for it and he would have known that. Above all else, Tony would not endanger his child so he’d have to go to Boston…”

Gibbs was on his cell updating the BOLO information before Stan could even finish his sentence. With a final request that the clinic in Boston contact him should Tony arrive there, Gibbs left to go see Jenny.