A Fish Tale

Chapter 12¾

by

Oasis Herself

Rating: No mer-smut this time
Disclaimer: Still not mine, still no profits.
Originally Posted: 6/12/06
Note: I'm not ordinarily superstitious, BUT... in this instance (& Porridgebird will probably agree), Part 13 became a real thorn in my... tail. Therefore, It's officially Part 12¾. Porridgebird... a Giant Thank You and a big hug for all your help with this chapter. And Elessil... for her picture and *grin* puppy eyes.

Limpet

James tracked the silver flash of Jack's tail as he darted back down through the water to the wreck for that last chest.

A quick sidelong glance at the jollyboat confirmed that Anamaria was watching him with her usual alert interest, and he sank slowly beneath the surface to continue watching Jack.

After two days of being at odds with each other, the sensual sweep of Jack's tail and the flex and play of muscles along his rump were proving to be an irresistibly provocative distraction.

He was still damnably annoyed with Jack, but he grudgingly admitted to himself now, that perhaps he had contributed ... somewhat ... to Jack's abominable behavior.

James knew his words that afternoon on the beach had been far too harsh. He knew it the moment they tripped off his tongue, but, Christ, it had just been too bloody intense.

He had been desperate to get some perspective... some distance from the feelings Jack had aroused in him. And, he thought ruefully, Jack had certainly responded in kind and given him his distance.

Jack was flitting around the wreck, and James could see him pushing against the support beams of the hull and checking for weaknesses. When Jack stilled in the water to peer up under the beams, James grinned in amusement at the feathery flukes of Jack's tail dancing and weaving in the water in much the same fashion as his hands did in the air.

His gaze drifted appreciatively up the length of Jack's tail, following the long sleek lines and up to the gentle swell of his arse and the soft, white scales along the crease of it.

The soft, white scales that led to the sweet, clutching, heat of Jack's body.

James looked away and swallowed down a sudden white-hot lust to twine and curl and bite. When he looked back again, Jack had turned in the water and was watching him uncertainly from the wreck.

Their gazes held for only a heartbeat, but it was long enough for James to read a truth revealed in Jack's eyes that he did not want to see.

Jack's in love, James realized with sudden stunning clarity—with me. And with the conflicting storm of emotions that realization brought, he did the only thing he could... he bolted for the surface.

James surfaced beside the jollyboat in a burst of sea spray and Gibbs looked at him oddly. "Everythin' all right, Commodore?"

"Fine, Mr. Gibbs, just... fine," he snapped.

No it isn't, his mind supplied helpfully for him. It's not fine at all. He scrubbed distractedly at his face and gazed angrily up at the Pearl.

Damn Jack Sparrow for the fool that he is. To have allowed lust, driven by this strange blood, to cloud his thinking and take root in his heart.

James was furiously denying the promptings of his own heart when he felt the faintest shudder in the water and then the touch of ripples across his tail. The cry that followed was so high in pitch that it was almost painful to the ear; more something felt than actually heard.

Anamaria slapped her hands against her ears, "What in bleedin' hell is that noise?"

It took James several long seconds before dread realization hit. "Oh dear God, that's Jack."

James first thought upon reaching the wreck was an incredulous, how the hell did he even get in there.

Jack had managed to worm his way through the narrowest of gaps and gotten himself completely underneath the rotted hull. He had retrieved the chest and still clutched it tightly, but the weakened crossbeam had slipped and one of the sharp iron braces had swung free and pierced through Jack's tail, pinning him to the bulkhead.

He was thrashing wildly, frantically trying to tear himself free and completely oblivious to the fact that he was only adding more injury to what was already a horrible wound.

There's too much blood, James thought, and then pure blind panic took over.

He tore at the timbers with his hands and tail, desperately trying to widen the gap and reach Jack. He finally just muscled his way through the remaining timbers and then tried to force his way under the beam that held Jack pinned. He was simply too large to fit all the way under, but he squirmed in as far as he was able and managed to catch hold of one of Jack's arms.

Jack didn't even respond to his presence, he just kept thrashing and keening through his gills in that anguished, pain-filled cry.

James wriggled his way back out from under the hull and put his back against the supporting beam, braced with his tail and pushed with all the strength he could summon.

He made some headway. The beam slipped, but only enough to pull the iron brace free from where it held Jack's tail pinned to the bulkhead. And that gave Jack the freedom to thrash even harder.

He tried again, but with the weight of the water-soaked timbers and now Jack's own weight adding to it as he pulled and fought against the brace still piercing his tail, it was simply too much for James to manage alone.

There was really no choice. He would have to leave Jack and return to the surface for help.

James twisted in the water, darting a quick glance first towards the surface and then back to Jack and caught in an agonizing moment of indecision. As Commodore, his unfailing ability to make wise decisions in the midst of horrible circumstances had always served him well. Now though, with the fear that gripped his heart at the thought of leaving Jack, that ability failed him completely.

Suddenly... shockingly, one of Jacks crew was in the water beside him. James remembered him. He was a quiet, pox marked youth named Timothy, who had shyly come up to James and stammered out a self-conscious request to touch him. He had confessed to the hope that their enchantment was a contagion he might catch.

And now, there he was in the water beside him. The lad didn't have enough air to lend his weight to the heavy beam that pinned Jack, but he made a motion that he would return and pushed back to the surface.

James squeezed back under the beam and tried to soothe Jack while he waited for Timothy. Jack's thrashing had weakened now to pain-filled shudders and that awful keening had dropped to a weak moaning cry. His eyes were still clamped tightly shut and James could see where he had bitten through his lower lip, and despite all, he still held the damned chest he had come after, clutched tightly to his body.

Timothy was back a few minutes later with a length of rope. He was securing it to the timbers when James caught a quick flash of fins from the corner of his eyes. Peering out from the broken hull, he confirmed the worst.

The water was alive with sharks, swarming in a frenzy at the blood in the water.

James's tail rapidly became slick and shiny with oil and when one of the smaller sharks tried to push its way through the splintered wood, James slapped it hard with his tail and the creature turned belly-up and drifted away.

Timothy had tied off the rope and tugged it hard to signal the Pearl, and was looking over James's shoulder now. He needed to get back to the surface and fast, but his choices had narrowed to the horrifying prospect of drowning or sharks.

James knew he couldn't possibly fend off that many sharks, even if he was willing to leave Jack to their mercies.

Timothy glanced at James and shook his head in resignation.

He heard the creaking of old wood as the Pearl's winches began their work on the surface and the hull shifted. The opening that shift created between frame and seabed was just large enough now for some of the smaller sharks and James was hard pressed to fight them off.

It was beginning to look like they would all share the same fate as soon as the hull was lifted the rest of the way off of them.

The hull steadily lifted and James was able to get under it finally to Jack's side. The shark activity had slowed and James had a macabre moment of wondering if it was Timothy who held their attention.

He had Jack now, and taking a steadying breath, he eased Jack free of the brace. There was the sickening sight of it sliding free of Jack's tail, a gush of fresh blood and then Jack convulsed once in his arms and went still.

Jack still had the chest clutched in his arms, and James let it be.

He eased them carefully around the outer shell of the hull and peeked out into the ocean. There was still no sign of shark, but now he knew why.

Surrounding the wreck was a pod of unfamiliar mer-folk, who most certainly must have heard Jack's cry. They encircled James and Jack and escorted them slowly to the surface.

They surfaced a short distance from the jollyboat and there was Timothy, alive and well and with Gibbs and Anamaria.

The pod kept its protective circle around Jack and James and eyed the jollyboat and the anchored ship behind with uncertainty and a great deal of suspicious caution. Their tails glistened with the oil seeping from under their scales and the air was thick with the sweet musky smell. In the ocean around them were dozens of somnolent sharks.

The sound of the winch came to a grinding halt then and the crew gathered in awed silence at the gunwale.

Gibbs called to him from the jollyboat. "How be the Cap'n, Commodore?"

Jack was limp in his arms, his tail floating uselessly along the surface of the water. The wound was at the base of Jack's tail where the narrowed end flared into feathery flukes, and the bleeding was slowing to a dark trickle. James hugged Jack to himself and could feel Jack's heart pounding furiously against his arm. He pushed Jack's hair off his neck and to James's unpracticed eye, the gills and his breathing seemed as they should be, though Jack's breathing was near as fast as his heartbeat.

"He's alive, Mr. Gibbs, but I fear it's a grievous injury."

A small female eased closer to Jack to examine his wound, muttering to herself as she poked and prodded at the torn flesh.

The pod tightened its circle around them, murmuring soft words in their own language and offering tentative comforting touches and caresses to both James and Jack.

James swallowed around a suddenly dry mouth; this was terrifyingly reminiscent of their own pod's behavior to the surviving mate of the merman he and Jack had found.

One large male who had been gazing curiously up at the Pearl moved to study James's face carefully for a moment. "So it's true," he hissed softly, "The Pirate Hunter is mated to Jack Sparrow."

The female attending to the wound looked up sharply at that and searched James's eyes. It was clear to James that despite her diminutive size and gentle features, she was of a great age and her eyes, so deep a blue as to be almost black, hinted at ancient secrets.

When she looked away, James was left with the disconcerting sensation that he had been stripped naked, inspected and found wanting.

His fear was mounting and he hugged Jack tighter to himself and asked haltingly, "He'll... he'll be all right won't he?"

The female called a juvenile over to her and sent him off to collect some type of seaweed.

"Our healer is absent," she told him. "We can offer some small comfort until you are able to reach your home waters." She nodded towards the Pearl. "Will Jack Sparrow's ship take you? Your mate must not swim."

"Yes," James answered, noticing that she did not answer his question.

The mer-child was back quickly and she began packing a red, brackish-looking seaweed into the wound with a calm assurance. Jack hissed softly at her first touch, then turned his face into James's neck and went still again.

"It will be a help that you have mated," she said softly. "The fluid from your pouch will ease some of his pain if you apply it to his injury."

"Then, he will be all right?"

"That will depend upon you, of course," she answered solemnly. "Jack Sparrow may try to seek surcease from the pain by escaping into death. You must not let him do that."

She spoke quick words in their own language then and the pod began to drift off through the water, though they stayed at the surface and remained watchful. Only the large male remained at her side. She looked at James for a long moment before speaking.

"You have mated, Pirate Hunter, that much is perfectly clear... but tell me now and tell me in truth: is Jack Sparrow your mate?"

James hesitated for several seconds, not entirely sure what answer she was seeking and afraid of giving her the wrong one. He finally asked, "Aren't they one and the same?"

"Our kind mate for life, and love unto death. So I'll ask you again... is Jack Sparrow your mate?"

"Well, I don't... I mean... I can't..." he floundered helplessly for words, appalled that she would even ask such a thing.

"What? Love him? Is that what you can not do? You can not love Jack Sparrow?" She began to laugh softly at him and shook her head in bemusement. "For all of your wondrous civilizations and great industry, you and your kind are foolish, foolish creatures, James Norrington."

James glanced guiltily at the jollyboat, fearful of being overheard, before answering softly, "We must answer to God's laws... and to man's." He shook his head and the slightest hint of haughtiness slipped into his manner when he added, "I dare say, you've no understanding of the ways of the real world."

"It is you who does not understand," she answered sharply. "It is you who is caught into creation's dream and believes the world to be real when the only thing that is real is love. It is love that creates and love that sustains that which has been created."

She slipped through the water to his side and reaching up, took him by the chin to pull his gaze to hers.

James felt again that uncomfortable sense that she saw too deeply into his heart and was able to read far too much there. He tried to turn his head away from her, but she held him firm.

"You feel shame for loving Jack Sparrow... shame for feeling the only thing in all of creation that is real. Tell me, Pirate Hunter, how does that serve your God?"

She released him and James was silent for several long seconds. "I don't know," he admitted finally. He looked down into Jack's face, taking in the still features of a man who had become entirely too dear to him.

He gently stroked Jack's cheek and when he tipped his face down to press a quick, unthinking kiss to Jack's forehead, he caught himself with a guilty start. He gave another furtive look towards the jollyboat, but Anamaria and Gibbs were only watching their captain anxiously, their faces etched with worry.

"I do love Jack," James confessed at last, "but in ten days, I am going to have to walk away from him and carry on with my life in a world that does not allow me to feel what I feel." He looked back into her eyes. "It will be, quite possibly, the most difficult thing I will ever have to do in my life."

She nodded and patted his hand in understanding and in her eyes was a compassion he had never received from another. "Grant your mate the dignity of knowing his love is returned. When you are men once again, you will be able to do what you must do with honor."

Jack was beginning to come to now, whimpering and struggling feebly against James's hold. She and the male helped James move Jack to the jollyboat.

"Don't let him go, Pirate Hunter," she warned. "If he gets loose in the water, he'll try to out-swim the pain, and he'll swim until he dies. You'll never catch him."

When they reached the jollyboat, the little female gave them a blessing in their strange hissing language and then she and the male drifted back through the water to join the waiting pod. As one, they slipped silently beneath the waves.

 

"That the bleedin' thing he had to have?" Anamaria asked, nodding at the chest Jack still clutched.

"Yes, can you reach it?" James moved Jack closer to the boat and between them they managed to pry it from Jack's arms.

It should have been an easy task to get Jack into the boat. Should have been—until Timothy touched Jack's tail and tried to lift it from the water. Jack came fully conscious with a roar and a curse. He fought frantically to twist away from James, hissing through his gills in pain

Jack was slick from his own blood and the oil in the water and keeping hold of him was proving to be damn near impossible. Timothy finally slipped into the water to help, and Gibbs and Anamaria leaned over the edge of the boat as well, to lend their aid.

Finally Anamaria reached over and gave James a hard shove in exasperation. "Christ's blood, Commodore! Put 'm out!" She made a fist with one hand and shook it at him, to make her meaning clear.

James looked at her uncomprehending for a moment and then, "Hit him? You want me to hit him?" He struggled with Jack's wild flailing in the water. "I can't hit him, for God's sake."

She gave a disgusted snort and clocked Jack neatly on the chin. His head snapped back against James's shoulder and he went out like a lanthorn in a windstorm.

 

"Prepare to make way, Mr. Gibbs," James ordered sharply, when they finally got Jack on board and settled into the bunk. "Jack tells me this is the fastest ship in the Caribbean... do feel free to prove that claim."

James climbed up onto the bunk beside Jack and then looked up when his order was received with only a startled silence. Jack's quartermaster and first mate were standing in the center of the great cabin in disbelief.

"Forgive me, Anamaria," James amended quickly, "this is not my command, and I..." He looked down at Jack's still face and then back up at Anamaria. "Please."

She gave him a terse nod and turned to Gibbs. "Make way." She lingered in the cabin and finally asked, "Anything ya think you'll be needin', Commodore?"

James thought for a moment, shaking his head. He really had no idea what to do. If Jack were still a man, it would be a splash of rum and most certainly some stitching, but this... He was at a loss.

"Perhaps just a bucket of seawater and a cloth for now."

He bent over Jack to examine the wound more closely and felt his dorsal fin stiffen in anguish at the sight of Jack's beautiful tail—his mate's beautiful tail. He could only imagine what such a wound must feel like in a body where every nuance in their environment and their emotional state was sensed and amplified.

"Don't look that bad, Commodore," Anamaria said, setting the bucket at the end of the bunk. "Don't look near as bad as when he took two musket balls to his chest, and I warrant you've seen far worse yourself."

"What you don't understand is that we feel everything with our tails, Anamaria, and to a far greater degree."

She reached out curiously to finger the flukes of Jack's tail.

Her touch brought Jack jarringly awake with a lurch and a cry, his eyes wild and his tail lashing his distress. His thrashing tail caught Anamaria in a glancing blow and she stumbled away from the bunk, with a muttered curse. James curled his tail around Jack, trying to keep him still, and slipped his hand into his pouch, gathering as much of the fluid as he could.

"Shhh... easy, Jack, it's going to be all right," he murmured as he smeared the oily stuff thickly over the wound.

It did seem to help. Jack thrashings were calming somewhat now, though he was still breathing hard and moaning softly through his gills.

Anamaria edged back to the bunk to watch curiously. "That the same stuff what put the sharks ta sleep?" she asked.

"Similar," James murmured. "The mermaid said it might help."

"Hurts," Jack grunted finally, through clenched teeth, "real bad."

James sent a quick prayer heavenward, thankful to hear Jack speaking. "It's a nasty wound, Jack, and we're headed back for the cove."

"Oh, Christ," Jack hissed, pressing his face hard into James's shoulder, "hurts, hurts, hurts..."

James could feel the tension coiled tightly in Jack's body as he fought for some kind of control over the pain.

James coated more of the fluid along the exit wound and Jack started to relax and finally sagged against him.

Anamaria was still standing beside the bunk. Jack, James realized, was cradled in his arms like a babe... or more accurately, a lover. He eased Jack down against the moss and Jack reached for him in panic. "Stay," he demanded hoarsely.

"I'll be right here," James assured. "Anamaria and I both," he added meaningfully.

Jack turned his head then, aware of her presence for the first time. "Anamaria," he whispered with a pained gasp. He squeezed his eyes shut and collected himself for a moment before turning his attention to the deck above them. They could clearly hear the sounds of the crew making ready to sail. He looked back at Anamaria. "Don't let Gibbs pilot my ship through those damn reefs."

She acquiesced with a short nod. "I'll take the helm myself when we get there."

"Aye, good."

He turned his face away from her and closed his eyes again, but it was obvious to James that he was still struggling hard with the pain. Jack's jaw was clenched tight and the erratic fluttering of his gills was still far too rapid.

Anamaria watched him for a moment, then wandered across the cabin to collect quill and logbook, and settled herself on the ledge by the window.

James began gently bathing Jack's face and neck with the seawater, hoping to ease some of his distress. He feared it didn't help much and he listened in relief to the grind of the anchor chain being drawn up and then the snap of the sails as they were raised. The wind caught in them suddenly and the ship leapt forward with a lurch. The bunk dropped beneath them as the Pearl dipped into the swells and Jack bolted upright with a sharp cry.

James caught him up and pulled him tight against his own body, murmuring reassurance into his ear and rocking him as Jack shook and trembled in his arms. Jack gradually began to calm, though every few panting gasps, that God-awful cry would escape him. He finally reached clumsily for James's hand and clutched it to his chest in both his own and when he opened his eyes and gazed up into James's face, the pained desperation in those dark eyes was almost more than James could bear.

James had never felt so helpless in his life, and he let his gaze wander distractedly around the cabin until it finally settled on Anamaria. She was still perched on the window ledge, watching them and worrying at a small piece of the sleeping moss that had caught in the wood. An inkling of an idea began to take shape.

"Anamaria, that plant Jack was chewing on the other night... is there any more of it aboard the ship?"

"Aye," she answered and then when understanding dawned, jumped to her feet and headed for the cabin door. "Aye! And I know right where he stowed it."

 

She returned shortly with Jack's cache, and if the situation had been any less dire, James might have laughed out loud at the sheer quantity that Jack had collected. He shared a quick amused glance with Anamaria and she grinned and shrugged as she set the bulk of it on the table and then brought a smaller portion to the bunk.

"Anything else ya think you'll be needin' before I take the helm?"

"No, thank you."

James waited until she had left the cabin and shifted Jack carefully in his arms.

Jack hissed softly under his breath and tightened his hold on James's hand. "Don't move my tail."

"Shhh, shhh. I won't. Here, Jack, do you think you can eat some of this?"

"Aye, Christ, I'd eat shite if it would stop this bloody hurtin'."

Jack ate most of what was offered, though even the relatively minor act of chewing and swallowing seemed to be too much of a distraction from trying to cope with the fiery pain in his tail.

He finally rested his head back against James's shoulder and whispered, "No more."

"Has it helped any?"

"Some," Jack answered softly. "Mostly just don't care 'bout it quite so much."

James held him close, petting and whispering soothing words to him, and when Jack seemed to settle a bit in his arms, James's thoughts turned to his brief conversation with the mermaid.

He worried and fretted over the things she had said to him... and the things he had said to her. Christ, he had admitted to loving Jack.

Of course, he rationalized, loving a man could just as easily imply brotherhood. He recognized that for the lie that it was and sighed heavily as he rubbed his cheek against the top of Jack's head. It is far more than brotherhood, he admitted to himself reluctantly. The truth of it is that I, James L Norrington—Commodore, am in love with... with Jack Sparrow—pirate.

He held his breath, half expecting to be struck down by a bolt of lightning from heaven for such an admission.

When none was forthcoming, he worked the idea of it around in his mind and sampled the sound of it. I love Jack. Actually on reflection, it was almost a relief to finally admit it.

He glanced down at Jack and had a quick thought of Jack and himself as men. He visualized them as they normally were: he in his uniform and Jack... Jack in his greatcoat and head scarf and eyeblack.

He pictured Jack standing at the helm of the Black Pearl, hands on his hips, booted feet planted firmly on the deck and his sword hanging at his side. James imagined himself unbuttoning that Jack's breeches and pulling his cock free to fondle and lick and suck, and almost squirmed with embarrassment at the image.

He squeezed his eyes closed, trying to dispel the disquieting images from his mind. Most dismaying, though, was the rush of desire that image invoked. The idea of making love to Jack, as a man, was undeniably erotic.

He gave himself a mental shake and looked down at Jack. Unthinkable to even entertain the notion, he chastised himself. If the love does not fade with the enchantment, well, the separation will just have to be borne. Somehow.

Jack tensed in his arms then and a shudder worked its way through his body. He whimpered low in his throat and pressed his face against James. "Bloody hell, that hurts," he hissed.

He sagged back against James when the spasm passed, but James could see another one building right on top of it. The flukes of Jack's tail were curling tight again, cramping and pulling up over the end of his tail.

Jack tossed his head against James's shoulder and then arched back in his arms, anticipating the pain and fighting against it.

James tried to draw him back down into his arms. "Jack, shhh... rest easy, try not to fight it so."

"Can't," he panted, and then a desperate, "Oh, Christ," before he broke into a harsh torrent of Irish, and James couldn't have said then whether he was cursing or praying.

James curled his tail around Jack's, as if he could somehow halt the spasms rolling like a wave up the length of Jack's tail, and slipped his hand into his own pouch.

His pouch was heavy with the oily fluid. That was a surprise and he wondered if his body was responding to his mate's distress. He gathered as much as he could in his fingers and reached for the wound, a heartbeat too late to prevent the torn muscles from quivering once beneath his hand and then bursting into a paroxysm of clenching, contorting tissue.

Jack went rigid, the tendons in his neck stretched taut as a bowstring, and his words choked off as his breath hissed through his gills in an agonized cry.

The door to the cabin crashed open and there framed in the flickering light were Gibbs and Timothy and two others that James did not know.

Gibbs started across the cabin, eyes wide as he took in the scene before him. "Whadda ya doin' ta the Cap'n?" he demanded.

James's dorsal fin fanned high and an age-old instinct to protect his mate from men screamed at him from some primal corner of his mind. "Stay back," he hissed through his gills, and then watched Gibbs take an uncertain step backwards.

The fluid from James's pouch was finally beginning to have some effect, and Jack wilted against him, his eyes wet with tears. James reached up to wipe them away and Jack twisted his face from his touch and swiped angrily at his eyes with the back of his hand.

Jack's fierce pride came to the fore then and he gathered himself and pushed up to glare at Gibbs. "Damn ya, can't ya leave a man in peace when he's tryin' to die?"

"Mother's love, Jack... No, ya can't mean it!"

Jack sank back down almost immediately. "Ah, Christ," he whispered into James's chest, "dyin's gotta be easier 'n this."

"Hush," James said sharply. "You're not dying."

He looked across the cabin then to Gibbs, "This journey must proceed with all haste, Mr. Gibbs." He lifted his chin and with years of authority lending strength to his words, he added, "And, I dare say your time could be better spent than by listening at cabin doors."

Gibbs searched his face for a moment before acquiescing with a short nod, "Aye." He turned and shooed the other men off. "Along with ya lads, nothing here to see."

He turned back once more to study James. James kept his face bland and allowed a scrutiny that very nearly bordered on a challenge. Gibbs finally gave another nod and a gruff, "Aye," and let himself out of the cabin.

Jack dragged his gaze up to James. "Feels like I'm dyin'."

"Hush," James repeated, but softer now, "you're not to even think it." He pressed his lips hard against Jack's forehead. "Dear God, I couldn't bear such a thing."

Jack caught his breath on a soft moan. "Careful, James," he whispered, "ya might give a man the wrong idea sayin' things like that."

James gathered up the remains of the seaweed Jack had been eating. "Try to eat more of this," he urged, pressing it on him.

He shifted Jack in his arms and Jack obediently ate all of it.

When Jack was finished and resting quietly against his shoulder, James whispered softly, "It can't possibly be a secret to you, can it?"

Jack looked up at him, muzzy-eyed from the weed and genuinely puzzled. "What secret?" he asked sleepily.

James hesitated for a moment, not sure he could say what was on his mind with Jack looking at him.

He glanced away and cleared his throat. "The way I feel about you, of course. That's no secret to you, is it?"

He looked down and Jack was still watching him.

"Weren't sure, actually," Jack said after a moment. "I really kinda thought with all the fussin' and fightin'..." The ghost of a smile crossed his face and his eyes drifted closed. "Guess maybe I was wrong on that," he whispered.

"I'll say the words, Jack, if you need to hear them."

"S'all right mate, I know what you're getting at."

Jack dragged his eyes open and huffed out a weak laugh. "Damned inconsiderate of ya, though, to declare to me when I'm in such a weakened state." He lifted a hand and fluttered it in the air. "We should be celebratin'... commemoratin'," he tried for a leer, "consummatin'."

His hand dropped to his chest and he squeezed his eyes shut and swallowed down a soft moan. When he opened his eyes again, his expression was serious. "James," he whispered. He touched his hand to his heart. "Me too, luv... ya know that, right?"

"I know."

Jack eventually sank into an uneasy, restless sleep, his breaths coming in short, shuddering gasps, much like those of a small child who had cried too long. James held him close, petting and offering what comfort he could by his presence, but it was deep in the night before his own sleep claimed him.

 

Chapter 12 :: Chapter 14¼

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

Read Comments
(Warning: May contain spoilers!)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.