Fine Men, Chapter 10

A Fine Match

by

sileya

Full headers in Chapter 1
Beta: Nancy

 

James's eyes opened to peer into hazy dimness, the sunrays he remembered from before now fallen into the sea as the sun dipped below the horizon. Yet he was still warm, still comfortable, despite lying atop the blankets nearly nude.

He was warm, as was the body the curled against him.

Turning his chin, James looked down to see a dark head of braids pillowed upon his chest, framing a well-known face in repose. Somehow while sleeping Jack had turned over so his back pressed against James's side and his cheek settled upon James's chest.

Just over his heart.

James took his time studying Jack as he'd never had the luxury before. When awake, the pirate was always in motion, a spinning tornado of energy twitching this way and that. The commodore had always imagined that in rest Jack would toss and turn, just as the Black Pearl did upon a stormy sea.

But no, Jack slept still and quiet, his chest rising and falling evenly, his right hand curled about James's upper arm. James was struck with the thought that Jack had been afraid he would move away.

Jack's full lips were barely parted, and his face was softer, flushed in sleep, the crinkles about his eyes from incessant smiling still visible. It was amazing, a vision burning itself into James's mind. It was almost like holding a firefly in a jar.

James moved and slid his right hand into the dark hair that spilled over his chest, surprised to find it was soft underneath the braids despite its exposure to the elements. The hat, surely, and the scarf besides sheltered it. The braids, even, absorbing the extent of the damage. Not that James believed Jack was really that vain, as to take such careful measures with his hair, of all things. A flouncing clown, he could be, if Jack took it in mind to appear so. But James was no longer fooled.

Beneath the sun-grilled skin and leather, under the tricorn hat and scarf, beyond the tattoos and brand, and inside a pirate made larger-than-life, there resided a man, a simple man with a heart that could be turned unto others just as anyone else's.

Just as James's own.

Fingers burrowing into the warm mane, James gave into the urge to pet. His left hand rose as well from where it lay just aside of Jack's knees, and he trailed his fingers from Jack's shoulder to his elbow, lightly tracing the ink-marked skin. Each picture was a story, James was sure, a piece of the history of one Captain Jack Sparrow. It was a history he wanted to hear, from beginning to end and everywhere in between. To know how this man was formed, and how he made himself what he was.

James wanted to know what it was that made Jack so damn irresistible. His mouth quirked into a smile as he moved his fingers along Jack's forearm. Apparently sensitive, Jack drew a deeper breath. James lifted his hand, not wanting to disturb his sleep, and Jack immediately went quiet, his breathing again even. James moved his hand under Jack's arm to form an embrace.

What now?

James laid there a long time, mind whirling with causes and effects, trying not to worry, simply holding Jack long enough for his body to become accustomed to the pirate's proximity, to communicate forcibly banked wants and purposely unacknowledged needs.

It was clear Jack desired him. But his actions implied a deeper want, one James felt that morning and saw in Jack's eyes. It was a feeling James shared, as incredible as it seemed, and it very nearly scared him.

Without warning, Jack stirred. James let his fingers remain tangled in Jack's hair as he tipped his chin to see the pirate's face. Jack's eyes fluttered open, and he remained still for a long moment before he raised his eyes to James's face, where he met a darkened green gaze.

Jack suddenly lurched up and away, breaking the spell of warmth and security. His face was written with upset and no small amount of fear, both of which stymied the commodore. But before Jack could hastily crawl off the bed, James reached out and closed his hand about Jack's wrist firmly.

Deep brown eyes flew to James's face. James was startled. "Where are you going?" he asked shakily, his voice still thick with sleep.

Jack frowned slightly. A split second passed and that wide smile appeared. "A wicked man you are, Jamie, scaring me like that." He poked James in the side, making him flinch.

"Wicked? Scaring you?" James objected.

"Aye. Thought you were a dream, I did," Jack sniffed, fingers darting to dance on James's ribs.

"I'm not sure I want to know why that would be wicked or frightening," James muttered, letting go of Jack's wrist and scooting away slightly to escape.

"'Tis not every pirate who wakes up with a commodore in his bed," Jack went blithely on, his free hand flapping about before reaching again to tickle.

"I should hope not," James said hurriedly, lightly slapping at Jack's hand as the pirate ignored him.

"For I'm sure, such a fright would scare many a pirate into becoming blacksmiths," Jack said with surety, his eyes locking upon James as he extended his hand yet again.

James pressed his lips together and pushed himself to a sitting position, leaning against the wall at the head of the bed. "Blacksmiths," he tried to agree warily.

The pirate peered down at him with narrowed eyes. "Perhaps milliners."

James snorted, pulling the knee of his good leg to shield his ribs—just in case. "For so many pirates have experience sewing linen and lace," James said drolly.

"Rightly so! We practice on the sails, you see," Jack said, nodding, though he smiled evilly, dropping his hand to drum his fingers on his thigh.

"I've lost track of why my being in your bed is frightening," James admitted.

"And wicked," Jack added.

"Wicked," James echoed. "Do explain."

"Lying here in my bed, practically in your altogether," Jack said, waggling his brows.

James laughed aloud. "And that is wicked?"

"Indeed so," Jack confirmed, reaching to trail a single finger from James's knee down the front of his lower leg to his ankle. "A wicked temptation." James bit back the gasp at Jack's fingers brushing the sensitive side of his foot, garnering Jack's attention. "And what was that, Commodore?" the pirate asked.

"James," James corrected out of habit, watching Jack's hand.

"Aye. Jamie." Jack's fingers waggled.

James's eyes narrowed as he glanced up at the pirate. "Think you I intend to be a temptation?"

Jack sobered, letting his hand fall to the sheets. He tipped his head to one side as he looked over James, sending the braid sprawling over his shoulder and chest. "I'm not sure," he admitted. "At times I believe so, and others..." He shrugged slightly.

"Yet you believe so. You're not at all retiring compared to myself," James observed, relaxing now that Jack's silent attacks had ceased.

"Retiring? I object!"

"Of course you do," James murmured under his breath.

"Captain Jack Sparrow is never retiring, neither in attitude nor in career," Jack announced.

"Planning to sail the seas until the fishes get you?" James asked drolly.

"It will be Davy Jones's Locker for me," Jack confirmed. "Though that day is long, long away, if I have my choice."

"I agree with that," James said quietly.

The pirate stopped mid-blather and looked down at James. "Agree?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"That you should be around a long, long time," James said, amused that he had Jack repeating him for once.

"I should?" Jack asked, looking surprised.

"You should," James confirmed.

Jack screwed up his face. "Well. Of course I should."

"Of course," James humored.

"What was I saying?" Jack said after a moment's pause.

James's lips twitched. "I'm wicked."

"Ah! Yes. Wicked you are, in thought, word, and deed," Jack said with a nod. He purposefully moved his hand to slide his fingers along James's instep, garnering a soft squawk as James jerked his foot away.

"And just how, pray tell, would you know that I am wicked in thought?" James asked, giving Jack a warning look.

"Come up with all those wicked words and deeds, I'd rightly say," Jack explained piously, hand hovering as he looked James up and down.

"Such as?"

"Such as." Jack's eyes snapped back up to James's face.

"Yes, such as," James prompted.

Jack gave him a merry smile. "I'm sure you are. I've seen and heard it." He feinted, and his wrist flipped so he could tickle behind James's knee.

James gasped, pulled both his legs to the side, yanked the covers over them, and looked at Jack obstinately. "Such as?" James asked.

"Well, you see, I can think of several times," Jack hedged, eyes narrowing as he considered this new challenge.

"So I am wicked and scary, and I am in your bed. Whatever will you do?" James asked smugly, tucking the covers in tight about his good leg, secure in the thought that Jack would not jar his wounded limb.

Jack looked at him suspiciously. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, surely if I'm so frightening, you would expel me from said bed, and I've only these briefs to wear on deck," James posed.

Jack's eyes widened comically. "You aren't that frightening," he assured James hurriedly.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm quite sure," Jack answered.

"A commodore sleeping in a pirate's bed?"

"But there's no commodore here," Jack said slyly as he got to his hands and knees and started crawling up the bed.

James eyed him nervously. "No, there is not."

"Just James in my bed," Jack declared.

"Yes," James agreed.

Jack slowly pulled his eyes back to James, the playfulness gone. "Just Jamie," he said quietly, coming to a stop right at the commodore's side. James wondered what that extra hint of something in Jack's eyes meant.

"So what will you do?" James asked.

"Do?" Jack said slowly, his attention fully on James.

"Yes. Do. With Just Jamie in your bed," James asked.

Jack paused, looking strangely unsure, his hands folded in his lap. James was mystified. "Where is that vaunted confidence?" James asked, curling his hand about Jack's wrist so his thumb brushed over Jack's pulse point softly. Jack had been babbling and teasing him for nigh ten minutes.

Jack's head tilted to one side. "It sometimes seems to take flight from me when you are about," he admitted quietly.

"Why?" James asked, curious. "Do you fear I will mock you?" Jack shrugged one shoulder. "Jack," James continued. "I would not be here but for my decision to be."

"'Twas upon a dare..." Jack said, wagging a finger at him.

"Jack," James interrupted firmly. "I am here because I want to be, and that's that."

The pirate gazed at him a long time. "Ah, Jamie," he finally whispered. "I've wanted you here so long I can barely believe it true."

James released Jack's wrist. "How long?"

Jack smile ruefully. "Since I kidnapped you here before, with William's assistance."

Surprised, James sat up enough for the sheets to fall from his chest to pool about his waist. "So long? Nearly a year ago."

"Nearly," Jack agreed, his eyes skittering over James's body.

"I did not know," James said. "I had no idea."

Jack nodded. "I know it. And I wanted it that way. Having you as a comrade was my first goal, you see, to make visits to Port Royal more palatable. Yet then, after one, simple day..."

"You saw differently."

"Yes."

"That day here on the Black Pearl."

"Aye. I can still see you here," Jack said, his voice low and warm. "Sometimes I look over my shoulder and see you out of the corner of my eye, but when I turn, you're gone."

"I treasure that day, Jack. I didn't know then how much, but time made it clear," James said awkwardly. "'Twas George and Thomas who brought it to light."

Jack smiled. "Those two." He shook his head, sending baubles to tinkling.

"Yes," James agreed, smiling as well. "They searched for me that day, until Elizabeth told them I was off 'visiting a friend.' But I found out while at that godforsaken cove that they believed I had found someone that day."

"Found someone," Jack murmured.

James nodded. "Someone who accepted me as I am, who helped relieve the stress and weight of duty. Someone who put a smile on my face." James paused. "Someone who made me feel alive," he murmured.

Jack smiled slowly, seductively, alluringly. "I would be those things to you, if only you would allow it. Never have a found another to be a better match to meself." James had no idea how to answer that, and in the meanwhile, Jack lifted a hand to cup James's cheek, turned his chin, and leaned forward to kiss him.

James's lips trembled under his, and Jack lifted his other hand to sink into James's hair as he kept kissing him, soft, short kisses, meant to put the commodore at ease. James brought shaky hands to Jack's shoulders as he returned Jack's attentions, and it was long, warm moments of similar kisses before their mouths parted.

"Ah, Jamie, truly you are a wicked man, can you not see it? You've totally snared my attention," Jack murmured.

"And how is that?" James asked, his voice shaky.

"You've captivated me," Jack breathed. "I didn't expect it."

James's eyes widened. "And you think I did?"

Jack smiled. "Well, you are the all-knowing commodore," he said as he gently bumped their foreheads together.

"I fear I am rather... clueless, Jack. All I know is you snuck into my life, turned it upside down, and made a place for yourself. And now..."

"Now?" Jack prompted.

"I would not see you gone," James admitted in practically a whisper.

Jack hummed happily and dropped a kiss upon James's lips. He shifted to set one hand on the bed on the other side of James's legs, neatly placing himself across James's lap. "I suppose that depends on you, now, Commodore. What do you want?" he asked.

A sigh shuddered out of James. "You," he breathed.

Jack gasped slightly and wavered. "I think I may be a wee bit light-headed," he croaked, holding onto James's shoulders like he'd never let go.

James pulled back in surprise only to see Jack's smirk and wink. Pressing his lips together hard, James thumped the back of his hand against Jack's chest. "Ow!" Jack protested, scooting back. "No call for that!"

"And you call me wicked!" James accused.

"Oh yes," Jack drawled.

"I have never in my life been wicked," James said petulantly.

Jack raised an eyebrow, challenged. "Might I remind you, dear Commodore, of a balmy night on a balcony where you licked your lips with this lovely tongue." Jack reached to lightly slide his finger along James's lower lip. "Right when you knew I could not respond."

James had the good grace to look rueful. "Well. I wouldn't exactly call that wicked."

Both Jack's brows flew up. "I'd hate to see what you do call wicked then." He abruptly shook himself. "On second thought..."

James thumped Jack on the chest again, and Jack winced. Without warning he moved nimbly and threw his leg over James's to straddle his thighs, carefully avoiding the wounded leg, and he grabbed at both James's wrist to hold him still. "There now, enough abuse of the pirate."

"Abuse?" James asked incredulously. "Abuse? What about commodore abuse, just before?" he asked, referring to the tickling.

Jack merely smiled, affecting an innocent look. "You deserved it."

"Deserved it?" James repeated, outraged.

"Aye, looking so warm and delectable in my bed," Jack confirmed.

James narrowed his eyes. "I thought I looked wicked and scary," he said flatly.

"And warm and delectable," Jack repeated sensually as he leaned forward to kiss James, just below his ear.

The commodore swallowed hard, pulling at his wrists, trying half-heartedly to gain his freedom. "I must object."

"Of course you must," Jack agreed, moving to kiss the same spot under James's other ear. "You're not wicked, you say."

"Not wicked," James said faintly.

"Not scary," Jack continued, dragging his lips down the side of James's neck.

"Not scary," James repeated, jerking his arms in a token resistance.

"But you are warm..." Jack murmured before extending his tongue to lick about James's Adam's apple.

Shuddering, James had to admit that one was correct. He was flushed with warmth. "I suppose," he whispered.

"And oh... so... delectable..." Jack breathed between kisses along James's jaw.

James's shaky breath was audible. "Jack."

"Aye," Jack said as he nipped at an earlobe.

James shivered bodily under the pirate's weight. "You are a wicked, wicked man," he stated with complete surety.

Jack leaned back, his lips curled into a knowing smile. "Pi—rate," he cooed.

Was that a whimper that passed his lips? James thought in shock. From him, a commodore, a whimper? "Release my hands, please," he asked. "I... I want..."

"Mmmm, what do you want, my handsome Jamie?" Jack drew out.

"I... I want to touch you," James admitted tightly, his fingers flexing uncontrollably.

Heat flared in Jack's eyes, and he lifted James's hands to his lips to kiss them one by one before releasing James's wrists.

"Thank you," James breathed, settling his long-fingered hands on Jack's chest, dragging his hands downward as he licked his lips.

Jack stared at him, mouth slightly open, and he arched into James's hands.

James lurched to sit up as he curled his arms around Jack, and he claimed the pirate's mouth in a torrid kiss. Jack's hands flew to cup James's face as their lips met and clashed, as their tongues stroked and tangled.

And Jack choked and gurgled as James's fingers dug into his sides to tickle him within an inch of his life.

"Jamie!" Jack practically shrieked after tearing his mouth away. He flailed as James pushed and he fell backward, James's wicked fingers attacking him the whole way down as he squirmed.

James grinned and laughed as he had Jack caught and shaking with laughter, periodic squeaks and squeals escaping him as he attempted to slither away from the commodore.

"Stop stop stop stop stop!" Jack begged, slapping at James's hands.

"I think not, pirate," James said gleefully.

Jack gulped and gasped before forcibly flopping to his belly and crawling hurriedly away to the footboard. When James shifted to reach for him, he squawked yet again before toppling over the end of the bed to thump to the floor.

Surprised, James carefully crawled to look over the edge to see Jack lying there on the floor, staring up at him mutinously.

"As I said," Jack bit out, crossing his arms petulantly. "Wicked."

A hearty laugh burbled out of James. "You deserved it."

Jack harrumphed right there where he lay, before rolling to come up on his knees and shuffle over to steal a kiss. James smiled against the pirate's lips.

"Ah, Jamie," Jack said with a sigh. "You see what a fine match we are."

"A pirate and a commodore?" James asked.

"Nay. Jack and Jamie," Jack corrected. "And besides, I'm a privateer."

"Hmmm. I thought you were my pirate," James drawled.

"Ah, rightly so, as it were," Jack confirmed. "Sailing your seas, I am."

James sobered slightly and sat sideways, straightening his aching leg to relieve the tension on the wound. "One of us at sea, and one tied to land. What sort of match is that?"

"A balanced one," Jack said, and a hint of wonder appeared on his face. "You're my anchor. You keep me still and safe in one place as I desire, yet you let me free when I need be." His voice was somehow quietly amazed.

A firefly in a jar, James thought.

"I will not stifle you," James said quietly. "I would not have you change, for then you would not be the irrepressible you." He smiled crookedly.

On cue, those dark eyes lifted to his, betraying slight apprehension. James then realized in some shock—Jack feared he would change his mind, that the commodore would discard him somewhere along the sea lanes, acting as fickle as Calypso herself. But James had no idea how to reassure him when he could not reassure himself.

"I am your pirate, after all. Pirates are known for their unpredictability," Jack said earnestly, hiding that flicker in his eyes.

"You're not being so unpredictable now," James murmured, reaching out to Jack.

Jack took James's hand and half-crawled to the end of the bed. "I'm not?" James shook his head. "Hmmm. I'll have to change that, then."

"Not on my account," James assured him.

"All on your account," Jack corrected. "If not, I fear you'll slip away from boredom."

"Boredom?" James repeated in disbelief. "About you?"

Jack nodded and pushed himself to his feet. James shifted backward as Jack settled a knee on the bed and started moving toward him until he crawled right up over James's leg and again into his lap, right in the center of the bed.

"Real, real and in my hands, an emerald-eyed treasure," Jack waxed rhapsodic between kisses, making James chuckle. "A beautiful, tall treasure," the pirate drawled, his hand settling on James's shoulder blade before coasting down his back.

"Hmmm," James commented, allowing Jack to touch as he liked. And the pirate did, though slowly, exploring. "I thought I was wicked," James reminded.

"Yes, a wicked temptation," Jack agreed, his hand moving to James's chest to map the muscles there. "Perhaps I shall be tempted beyond restraint."

"Only perhaps?" James affected a disappointed moue.

"Certainly," Jack said.

"Certainly only perhaps?"

"Only certainly," Jack rasped before claiming James's mouth, effectively shutting him up. The pirate's hands slid down James's back, tracing his spine and the rippling muscles there, and James sighed against the ravening mouth, sinking into the sensual storm that was Captain Jack Sparrow.

Jack's hands roved over him, and James found he wanted to touch as well, so he lifted his hands to defined shoulders and dragged his hands down Jack's back, mirroring the pirate's touches. When he drew a haggard moan, James took it as approval and started exploring the expanse of flesh.

It was long minutes of heated kisses and cautious touches before their mouths parted. "I want to taste you all over," Jack growled. James stiffened, surprised at the vehement declaration, and Jack's touch turned reassuring. The pirate hummed against his lips. "But for now, I'd rather have more kisses," he murmured, wrapping his arms around James and lowering him to the bed.

"Kisses," James murmured, feeling the prickle of Jack's goatee.

"Mmm. Kisses," Jack purred, settling in the crook of James's arm and bussing the corner of James's mouth.

"I can do kisses," James said thickly.

"Aye, you certainly can," Jack agreed, and their mouths met again and again as dusk fell to cover them in shadows.

The passion between them roiled for some time before subsiding to a glow, and they finally lay in each other's arms, exchanging sporadic kisses until they drifted to sleep. James's last thoughts wondered how Jack knew him so, so well.

 

Prev :: Next

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

Read Comments
(Warning: May contain spoilers!)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.