Construction Suite

The following bit of nonsense is based on a true story. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Painter's Blues
by Griffin

"Sandburg! What the hell did you do to the bathroom!"

Blair winced. He was sure everyone in the building heard Jim's bellow.
"Well, you did say the bathroom needed to be repainted, and I had the day off, so I thought I would paint it and we could go camping this weekend instead?"

Jim stalked out of the bathroom. "It's pink."

"You know, there have been scientific studies done that show pink as being the most soothing color for a room, it really helps reduce stress."

Jim just glared at him. He walked over to the sofa where Blair was sitting, and loomed over him in his best 'intimidate the suspect' pose. "What," he asked icily, "possessed you to paint the bathroom pink?"

Blair scrunched back into the cushions. "It was supposed to be 'Warm
White'?"

Jim just looked at him.

"No, really, man. At the store it looked like a nice soft white, but when I painted the wall, it was pink. I hoped it would change a bit when it dried, but it stayed pink. I held the paint strip up to the wall, and it matched exactly, but the little strip doesn't look pink by itself, you know, only when it's on the wall...I'll repaint it, Jim. We'll camp another weekend."

Blair looked so sad, Jim felt his anger dissipating. Perfect spring weekends were rare, and the chance to share a tent with Blair so enticing...Jim sighed. "Well, hell, Chief. I suppose these things do happen. But I think we should let the room dry a bit before we paint it again. No reason we can't camp this weekend. But Blair," Jim said sternly, "next time, I get to pick out the paint!"


Tool Time
by Griffin

Blair Sandburg's eyes idly skimmed the page on laptop. He was in the mood for some really sizzling fiction, but nothing new had been posted. The last story had a nice sex scene, though...he found himself replaying the particular scene, only with Jim and himself as the main characters. He felt himself becoming aroused by the images his mind was creating. He was abruptly jolted from his reverie by a shout from Jim, who was tinkering with something in the bathroom.

"Hey, Chief, have you seen my cock?"

Blair sat bolt upright. His breath caught in his lungs, his heart seemed to stop, and then start again in double time. He couldn't have said what I thought he said, he told himself. He tried to answer, but was only able to croak out a strangled "what?"

Jim came out of the bathroom. "Jeez, Sandburg, what is wrong with you? I asked you if you had seen my caulk. I know I bought some last week, I was gonna re-caulk the faucet. What did you think I said?"

Blair could feel the blush starting at his toes and working its way up, and Jim wouldn't need sentinel senses to see it; he could probably feel it from across the room. Blair didn't answer, he just tipped his head down and tried to hide his blush.

Jim stepped closer. Blair was flushed, and Jim could easily smell the musky scent of arousal. His old, faded jeans did nothing to hide his erection. Jim wondered what had gotten Blair so worked up, and he mentally replayed the last few minutes. He'd only asked..."Oh."

Blair raised his head and looked at Jim, a hint of challenge in his gaze.

Jim surprised him again. "So, Blair...do you wanna see my cock?"

 

We've been busy lately, here at the Den, doing a little redecorating, and a very odd conversation took place this weekend, regarding the location of the caulk, with Hubby upstairs and me downstairs. You know, I bet Martha Stewart doesn't have this much fun!


Honeydew
by Griffin

Half way through the Benner paperwork Jim paused. "Hey, Chief, what's up with Taggart?"

Blair looked up from his files. "I dunno. I haven't had a chance to talk with him yet. He looks kinda hunted this morning."

"Here's your chance to find out, he's going for coffee."

* * * * * *

Blair walked into the breakroom. He watched as Joel Taggart gazed pensively at his cup. "You know, Joel, as bad as the coffee is around here, if you stir it any longer, your spoon's gonna dissolve."

He started, then looked up with a wry smile. "Morning, Blair. I guess I was lost in thought."

Blair sat down across from him. "Not good ones, I think. Is everything okay?"

Joel quickly reassured him. "It's nothing major. Trish has come up with another one of her weekend projects."

Blair grinned. "She finally recovered from the Ornamental Pond, huh?"

Joel smiled. "This one won't involve Major Crimes. She wants me to put in one of those 'suntunnel' skylights and install some recessed lighting in the family room."

"That doesn't sound too difficult."

"That's what I said." He gave a deep sigh. "Our house is 35 years old. It's got that damned acoustic ceiling spray in half the rooms. Before I started cutting holes through that stuff, I figured we ought to get it tested. Sure enough, it's got asbestos in it."

"What are your options?" Blair questioned.

"Leave it be, or hire someone to take it down. Leave it be is out, we really need the light in the room."

Blair winced in sympathy. "Sounds expensive."

"You know, I was surprised. The estimates haven't been that bad." Joel took a drink of his coffee. "Ugh! But this stuff sure is."

"That, " Blair said with a laugh, "is why I drink tea. So what's issue, if not cost?"

"Do you have any idea what is involved in this? We basically have to move out for three days. We're gonna stay with Trish's folks. And when I say move out, I mean lock, stock, and barrel. Everything off the walls, furniture out of the rooms they're working in, the works. We'll be packing for weeks. Then Trish says, since we'll have the furniture out of the way, it's the perfect time to redo the carpets and paint the rooms. I may never have a free weekend again," he concluded glumly.

"I hear that! Look, Jim and I can help with the moving. I'm sure the rest of the guys will, too. And Jim wields a mean paintbrush. If you can talk Trish into making her sour-cream chocolate cake for him, he won't complain at all about painting. But I gotta tell you, man, you are on your own with the in-laws."

Joel laughed, his mood lightened considerably. "Thanks, Blair. I appreciate it."

"No problem, Joel. That's what friends are for."

 

You know, all I wanted was to paint the walls. Really. But then the hubby decides its time have A/C installed. And redo the paneling and lighting in the theater. Where we have asbestos in the acoustic spray. But if we're going to have a contractor remove it, we might as well have them do the rest of the house. And if the furniture is out, isn't it easier to replace the carpeting... At least I don't have to stay with the in-laws! We will be sleeping in a motel.

I keep telling myself how nice the house will be when we're finished. But that wasn't much consolation when the A/C guys had me trapped in the bathroom this morning!

How do people survive remodeling without doing in their spouses, anyway?

Griffin, who feels much better now that she's vented - or is that the nice cool breeze from the A/C?


end

previousindexnext

[Home] [Library] [Connections]

Email griffin@squidge.org