Fandom: Magnificent 7 ATF AU
Pairing: Ezra Standish/Josiah Sanchez
Rating: G
Disclaimer: Still Don't Own them, Still poor and I am Still having Fun. *g*
Notes: Sequel to Honor Thy Mother.
Thanks as always goes out to Carrie for being the best beta ever :) Get Well soon. *Hugs*

Series: Home For the Holidays
Warnings: Never go on a two to three day trip with your Mother. It's not a good idea, You will not come back sane and yet I am still doing it because she's my mom. *g*
Summary: a moment of remembrance.

Challenge: the May 2002 Holiday Challenge, Memorial Day

Dedicated to those who have gone on and will be remembered every day because they have touched our lives and made it richer for knowing them.

 


In Memory

by Lady Q




Ezra stood silently to the side of the green hill as he quietly watched his love standing with his army unit.

It was early Memorial Day morning, and for the first time since Valentine's Day, Ezra was able to catch a glimpse of what his love looked like dressed in his army uniform.

Earlier in the morning, Ezra had woken up to the sounds of Josiah coming down from the attic, carrying some clothing in his arms.

Faking sleep, Ezra softly turned over on his side and silently watched as his love began to shake out the army jacket, hat, slacks and shirt.

Softly, Josiah began to speak, "I know that you're awake, Love." He said as he smoothed a hand over his jacket.

Ezra nodded his head, but his eyes seemed to remain frozen on watching his love brush the dust off his green jacket.

"You never talk about it," Ezra softly mumbled, surprised at his own words.

Josiah nodded his head as he whispered in agreement. "I know, Love. I know."

"Why?" He softly asked as he started to get out of bed to move closer to Josiah.

"It's hard to talk about, Ezra." Josiah paused as he let out a breath that he hadn't realized he was holding.

"How old were you when you went into the Army?" He softly asked.

"I was drafted as soon as I turned 18 and served five years in the Army, with two tours toward the end of Vietnam. I saw too many innocent people die. Way too much death."

Silence filled the room as Ezra walked closer and solemnly ran his finger's across the clothing and lightly touched the differnt metals on Josiah's jacket.

"Why today?" he asked as he looked up at his love.

Josiah let out a soft sigh as he answered, "Because Love, today is Memorial Day. The one day in the year that my unit comes together to mourn the loss of those who have passed on, to honor them and to remember them."

Ezra looked down at the dress uniform of his lover and caressed the purple heart he asked again, "Why now?"

"In the two years since I became a member of this team, I celebrated this morning alone." Josiah paused as he looked down at the man who held his heart. "I would get up alone, mourn alone, honor them alone and remember them alone. Even when I was with my old unit, I would still feel alone." He paused again as he wrapped his arms around Ezra and gently placed a kiss on his neck. "Until you came into my life, my love."

Ezra slowly turned around in Josiah's arms and leaned his head against his chest. Josiah swallowed the knot that had formed in his throat. "Will you come with me today?" he asked as bent down to place a kiss on top of Ezra's head. "Will you help me mourn? Will you help me honor them? Will you help me to remember them?" He finished sadly as he rubbed his cheek across the top of Ezra's head.

Ezra looked up at his love and brushed his hand against Josiah's roughened cheek as he brushed away a teir and softly spoke, "Yes, Josiah, I will come with you today. I will be there to help you mourn, to help you honor them and to help you remember them. I will do all these things because I love you, Josiah."

Josiah smiled at Ezra's words and bent down to kiss him as he whispered, "I love you, too, Ezra."

Ezra was brought out of his memories of this morning at the feel of the loving arms around him.

"Thank you, Ezra," Josiah said as he leaned down to gently kiss his neck, "For coming with me today."

"You're welcome, Josiah." He said as he placed a kiss on the back of Josiah's hand.

Ezra smiled loving up at his love as he pulled him towards the car,"Come, Love, I believe that we are due for a barbeque over at Chris's place today."

Josiah smiled shyly at his love as he got in the car and they drove to Chris's ranch.

The End

 


Challenges * Home * Stories