Fandom: Babylon 5
Pairing: Marcus/Neroon
Rating: individual chapters vary from G to NC17
Disclaimer: Still Don't own them.
Notes: Thanks goes out to me Irish Lass of a Beta, Melanie for going over this for me.
Series: A Haunted Honeymoon
Warnings: predujice, ghosts, Druids, and a murder.
Summary: see challenge *g*

Challenge: the March 2004 Holiday Challenge, St. Patrick's Day; and to write a story where your lovers go to Ireland.

 


A Haunted Honeymoon

by Lady Q




Forever My Beloved

Marcus watched in horror as his beloved fell to his knees only to lose his pike seconds later. He saw the quarterstaff rounding out to make its final strike, as if all went into slow motion. He could see Neroon's eyes as he too recognized this would be it, this would be his death, and then they shifted to him. Marcus could just hear Neroon's words' "For you my beloved" as the quarterstaff came crashing down upon him.

"NO!!!!!" Marcus screamed using all his strength to move forward, as Jeffery held him, just barely keeping him put or from crossing the circle of pansies.

The seconds ticked out into hours before it became clear, the blow did not connect. The Queen had stayed her staff centimeters from Neroon's face, and then she slowly backed up, her quarterstaff shifting slowly in her hands once more to that of the basic hold, her eyes unreadable as she looked down upon a defeated Neroon. Then suddenly her eyes warmed and a slight smile appeared on her face, as she gave a slight bow before placing her quarterstaff down before Neroon. "I yield," she grinned warmly.

Jeffery, Marcus and Neroon were stunned with puzzlement as the crowd roared and cheered with glee at this announcement. Marcus however was quick to notice the circle of golden pansies vanish and shoved Jeffery aside and ran to his mate's side. "Neroon," he sobbed, gently hugging his beloved husband.

Neroon was also puzzled at his victory, but the appearance of Marcus by his side he forgot it for the moment and as best he could, held his love, "Marcus."

Both Marcus and Neroon sensed something touch them and looked to see a golden leaf floating down upon them both. "The Elcry blesses you," the Queen clarifies, her words warm and excited. "She approves of you, as do I. Take the leaves and place them in your mouths," she instructed.

Neroon gently reached for the golden leaf upon his lap, sensing he really could trust these instruction, especially when a feeling of great joy filled him at touching the leaf. He placed it upon his beloved's lips, and watched as Marcus' mouth opened with easy trust, while his dark eyes shined with love. Once inside, Marcus' mouth shut to accept it. Neroon felt the same being offered to him, and he also accepted the leaf, then upon closing his lips, he felt it melt in his mouth and a tingling filled him.

Marcus smiled in awe, seeing his beloved heal before him, ignoring the tingling in his own body. He was more focused on his husband. "How do you feel?"

Neroon demonstrated by quickly getting to his feet; he was fully healed. "Great," he smiled and then hugged and kissed his beloved, then chuckled as he knew the newest bout of cheering was because of it. He then held his mate securely at his side and faced the Queen, where he bowed deeply in respect, not only for letting him live, but her skill. Once he faced her again, he spoke, "May I ask why you spared me. Not that I am not eternally grateful," he smiled, his arm tightening around Marcus.

"As am I," Marcus added, glad to be with his love.

Kimara, placing on her soft green robe gave a knowing smile, "Many Warriors claim to fight for many things; righteousness, justice, king and crown, but when push comes to shove, most are truly only fighting for themselves; be it glory or arrogance. Your true motives needed to be tested, Neroon Cole," she smirked. "Though for a moment I was unsure, but in the end, it was clear. You didn't fight for anything but to be with your mate, Marcus. In that I found your true honor and as is the ways of the Elves, honor is always respected," she stated and gave a slight bow of her head. Once she raised it again, she smiled broadly. "Come, let us celebrate," she announced and music filled the air, as Elves suddenly brought out trays of food and drink. She then looked at the couple, "This celebration if for you, though by dawn you will have to return to your world. But as a gift from me to your both, I will grant you one more visit to my home and my assistance should it ever be needed," she grinned. "Come, let us show you how we 'Elves' celebrate life."

All were quickly engulfed in the celebration as the Elves played music, ate, drank Elf ale and other nectars, and danced around the magical fire, that gave light and heat, but did not burn. Even Neroon was swayed into joining a circle dance by his Marcus. Jeffery joined also after a bit more nagging by Marcus, and all were enjoying the festivities.

Marcus, in between dances and eating, asked questions about the Elves, wondering what was true and what was fantasy. He got few answers, as all the elves were skilled in evasion, but he did learn that they lived 'forever' in this world, but when they grew tired of it, they could cross the veil to begin anew. What that fully meant he didn't know or pushed it. By Midnight, he found himself in a bit of a tipsy if not slightly drunken state, for otherwise, he would not have been so bold, as he approached the Queen, who carried herself like any other elf. In fact, had he not known she was Queen or the slightly fancy robes, he would not have known, for she was 'very' down to earth as it were; not what he normally associated with royalty or other governing figures, having dealt with his share. "Is it true you're part dragon?" he heard himself ask.

Kimara laughed. "Why do you ask?" she replied, her dark blue eyes glazed, as she too was enjoying the celebration, and had drank her share.

"It's just, I've never seen a dragon though, and until today I never saw an elf either," Marcus replied, proud he was speaking so well for his current state of intoxication.

"Would you like to see one?" Kimara asked, enjoying the company of this human as well as the other, Sinclair, and the Minbari.

"Oh yes," Marcus replied, his eyes lighting up in joy, like a child that was offered an early Christmas present.

"Very well then, at dawn you shall," Kimara declared, then stood and face one of her aides. "See to it they are given the best room to rest the night, as dawn will come early," she sniggered, a tad drunk. "Until morning, Marcus Cole," she bid, then gave her goodnights to all and headed out; she was going to bed.

The celebration slowed almost to a halt shortly after the Queen left, and Marcus and Neroon were led up a incline that led to the tree bridges and led to a small hut, where they found a large comfortable bed, in a simple but elegant single room hut. There was a table with two chairs, curtain around the bathing facilities, and a small fireplace that also had the magical fire within it, to light and keep the place warm. Marcus and Neroon barely washed up, their heads swimming from the Elf ale. Marcus did notice that this drink affected Neroon much like it did himself, unlike regular alcohol which would make him violent.

'Have to see if I can get some of this stuff for home,' Marcus thought as he fell into bed, just as Neroon did. They only could manage to cuddle into each other before exhaustion took over.

Morning arrived and it found Jeffery Sinclair waiting the arrival of Marcus and Neroon along with Queen Kimara. "You are welcome whenever you wish," Kimara stated as she shifted down her white hood of her white and silver cloak, her long hair, now curled and free to blow in the wind. "You are of our blood, and though at one time, halfbloods were not welcomed in some elven camps, this was never one of them, for eternity is a long time," she smiled warmly.

"Thank you," Jeffery replied not only honored, but pleased that he would have a place to go where he could simply be understood. He then looked toward the rising sun and a touch of sadness filled him.

"You worry for your mortal son," Kimara stated knowingly. "The Elcry knows this, and thus her blessing and gift to you both. Though he be only a fraction of our blood, it is enough to be touched. Though he still will cross the veil in mortal form when the time beckons, it will not be in a simple fifty-sixty years. He will live as those of mixed blood eons ago; he will share his mate's lifespan and keep much of his youth throughout it, only feeling the true pangs of age upon nearing his completion of his journey, thus allowing him too, to see his grandchildren, not that he knows about any of this," she chuckled.

Jeffery was thrilled a the news. His son would live a long life, as Minbari lived to 3-4 hundred years, and Neroon was almost a hundred. "I can not thank you enough for this," he started, but paused as Kimara lifted a hand to silence him.

"It is no me that did it, but the Elcry. She knows those two hold a special place in this universe and hold very special souls. It was her doing. My gift was their return visit, and their ride home," she smirked mischievously.

"Their ride home?" Jeffery asked, not sure what the Queen was referring to.

"Ah, morning," Kimara bid of Neroon and Marcus, both looking well, having drank the juice given them with breakfast; assuring no lasting effects of the Elf drink.

Everyone greeted everyone as The Lady appeared to fetch the men home. "I will see Marcus and Neroon home," Kimara interjected, giving her friend a knowing look. "Marcus wished to see a dragon, and I had declared he would."

The Lady gave a nod and a warm smile, "Then I shall await them at the Castle," then she and Jeffery faded out.

"Dragon, what is a dragon?" Neroon asked, not having had time to understand the reference before having to leave.

"Well, according to legends, they were powerful mystical creatures, some serpent-like, others like large lizards with wings, generally speaking. Though the legends are mainly in England and China, there are various accounts of dragons throughout human culture. Some say they were mindless beasts that were hunted out, but I don't think so. Many say they were highly intelligent and magical beings that varied in their color and abilities and deeds, as humans, er, beyond that I don't know," Marcus added, looking abashed at the Queen.

Kimara chuckled, "You are close, close enough," she smiled and started walking from the village without any guards, "Come on," she waved and turned to keep walking.

Soon the three were far from the village and into another clearing in the forest. "Stand there," she instructed, pointing to the edge of the clearing. She then walked to the center of the vast clearing and held up her hands. As the hood feel back, it was seen her eyes were closed as her lips moved softly in spoken word.

Marcus and Neroon watched as her image shimmered and a gold light took it's place. The light then began to expand quickly, soon filling the entire clearing. Then the light faded in its place was a large golden serpent like creature, coiled upon itself; one segment of it's vast body being ten foot, thus, with segment coiled upon segment, the creature stood over eighty foot high. Marcus and Neroon saw how the sun glistened off the metallic gold scales, which were so finely interwoven, it looked like the lines were drawn on, and that they were not scales after all.

"Are you ready to go home now?" a voice, deep by proxy, echoed down at them.

Both men looked up and for a moment was blinded by the sun, then something blocked the sun's light; it was the head of the serpent. It was not snake like, as the rest of it. It was more like what Marcus imagined, large extended jaw and snout, with sharp teeth, and large massive eyes. It looked more like one of the dragons the Chinese would draw and speak about; having tiny long hairs extending from its snout. Marcus also noticed that although it was totally alien, it was familiar, from books and pictures growing up, and friendly. He felt no fear gazing upon this magnificent creature. "Amazing." was all he could manage.

Neroon was a bit nerved, glad that such a creature was on their side, as he doubted he could take it. Then he knew, this was Kimara.

'It would explain much,' he concluded, still a tad bothered at having his butt handed to him so easily.

Both men watched as the head lowered near them. "Get on, and I will take you home," the voice instructed.

Slowly Marcus and Neroon did as bid and found by the head, long hairs in which to hold on too; Neroon climbing on behind Marcus, to hold him secure, for they couldn't straddle the neck, it was too wide. The held on as it raised them up and they were given a look of the Golden Forest as they would never have seen, above it. It was vast, hundreds of miles wide, it was beautiful. Then Neroon and Marcus tightened their grip as they went even higher, the dragon was in the air. "What the?" Marcus gasped.

The wind blew past them, though mostly blocked by the large head as they flew over the Golden Forest, allowing them to see other Elf villages, and waterfalls and crops. He knew they were flying close to the tree line, as he could just make out the small figures on the grown were waving at them, or most likely the dragon, as he doubted they could see him and Neroon. Then a moment of thick air surrounded him and it was hard to breath for a few moments and then when it passed, he looked and saw the forest was gone and only the green countryside of Ireland as below. He also noticed that no one down below even looked up, as if they couldn't see this huge flying creature.

They landed in a clearing not too far from Cole Castle, it was still morning. Hardly any time had passed in their journey here. Once off, he and Neroon shielded their eyes as the golden light once more appeared. Once it was gone, Kimara stood next to them, a pleased grin on her face, and reached out and touched their foreheads. "Bless your both," she whispered, then stepped back. "I look forward to our meeting again, Marcus and Neroon Cole," she grinned and then with a whoosh of her white cloak around her, she vanished.

"That was."

"Amazing," Marcus finished for his husband, also at a loss for words to all they have experienced. Then Marcus turned and hugged and kissed his love. "My champion," he purred.

Neroon lowered his eyes, "I did not really win."

Marcus lifted his love's chin so their eyes met, "Yes, you did. You could have quit or forgotten what you were fighting for, but you didn't," he grinned warmly and lovingly.

"I almost did. I was so outraged at how she was playing with me, I wanted to teach her a lesson, but," he sighed, "you are right, I did recall what I was there for, you. I will always be there for you," he vowed. "Though I must admit, I have never been beaten so."

"Thoroughly," Marcus teased. Then he caressed his love's face, "Am'Sheal, she is over ten thousand years old. One would think she could hold her own with all that practice under her belt, yes? Besides, there is a law in the universe that states there is always one better. You've met her and befriended her, so no worries."

Neroon laughed softly at his husband's words. He knew he would face a million humiliations if need be to stay at his mate's side. He looked deeply into his beloved's eyes. "Mine, unless you wish for me to make claim to you here, we should retire to our chambers," he leered, his desire to make love to his husband burning within.

"Oh dear, whatever shall I do," Marcus gasped in mock fear and indecision.

"Love me," Neroon instructed as he pulled Marcus to him firmly. "Forever," he added and kissed Marcus senseless.

 

Love Me, Forever

"Love me," Neroon instructed as he pulled Marcus to him firmly. "Forever," he added and kissed Marcus senseless.

The feel of Neroon's warm lips against his caused Marcus to groan in pleasure as his husband walked them backward towards their bed.

Marcus reluctantly pulled away when he felt Neroon bump against their antique four poster bed.

He leaned up and pulled Neroon's head down as they kissed a second time. This time it was gentler as lips moved and rubbed against each other.

Neroon lightly pushed Marcus away from him. A sexy leer crossed his face as he watched the hungry look in Marcus' brilliant green eyes as Neroon slowly began to strip before his husband.

As Neroon pulled off his shirt, leaving his chest naked before Marcus's eyes, he leaned close and his warm words whispered against his ear. "Tonight, my love, I am going to do something that I have never done before with anyone else. Tonight I am going you to give you the greatest gift ever given to a mate. The gift of myself."

Hearing Neroon's heated words broke Marcus from his passionate haze.

Concern and worry entered his dark green eyes. "Are you sure about this, Neroon?"

Neroon smiled as he touched his beloved's face. "More sure then I am of anything else. I am not losing honor but I am gaining something more important, that of yourself. So touch me, Marcus. Pleasure me to your heart's content." Then Neroon lowered his voice as he leered once more at his husband, "Make me scream your name so loud that everyone will know that I am yours as you are mine."

At hearing Neroon's heated words, Marcus felt all of his blood leave his head and head south leaving nothing but one thought. 'Mine, all mine!'

"Want You!" Marcus growled low as he pushed Neroon down on the bed and went to work on taking Neroon's pants off till his husband was nude before him.

Marcus let out blissful sigh as he took in the strong and sturdy body of his mate. Lightly he let his fingers pass over Neroon's muscular chest down across his abdomen till he reached Neroon's straining cock.

He smiled in pleasure as his eyes and hands roamed over his husband's body. Then Marcus sat up on his knees and began to tear off his clothes till he was also naked before his husband.

Neroon smiled up at him as he handed Marcus some lube. Marcus leered down at his husband as he squirted a little of the clear gel on to his fingers. He rubbed it around warming it as he smiled down at his waiting husband.

Marcus placed one finger at Neroon entrance and slowly stroked the little bud with the tip of his finger.

"Please!" Neroon groaned making Marcus' cock throb at hearing his husband's cries.

Marcus smiled as he bent down and blew a thin stream of air over his lover's opening. Then he parted Neroon's cheeks with one hand and pushed one finger inside his lover's entrance. Neroon let out a loud sigh of contentment at the feel of Marcus' finger moving slowly inside of him. He tried to press back onto his finger but Marcus wouldn't allow it. He held his hand steady as he moved his finger back out then moved it up again while his tip was just touching the outer ring, until his partner stilled, growling a warning and glaring at him.

Marcus gave Neroon a saucy smile at his lover as he added two more fingers toward stretching his lover further, moving them inside and out till Neroon couldn't take it anymore.

"Marcus, NOW!"

Marcus took his throbbing member in hand and placed it at the center of Neroon's opening. He let out a groan of pleasure as he pressed into Neroon hot center.

He couldn't control the groan of pleasure as he felt the warmth of Neroon's body. For the first time since they became married he finally understood the feeling of becoming one with his husband.

"Oh, Neroon,!" Marcus softly called out as he found that he couldn't control himself anymore and soon began pumping faster and faster inside of his husband.

Neroon groaned in pleasure at feeling Marcus' cock moving inside of him. He wanted more so he wrapped his long legs around Marcus' waist and pulled him further inside of him.

"NEROON!" Marcus yelled out as he felt himself being pushed further inside of his husband and began thrusting faster and harder till he couldn't control himself any longer and came screaming Neroon's name.

"YES! MARCUS!" Neroon screamed as he felt his husband's climax inside of him and causing Neroon to climax with him.

Marcus let out a tired groan as his body fell down on Neroon and let out a blissful sigh when he felt Neroon wrap his arms around his sweating body.

"I never knew before how it felt to be inside the one you love until now," Marcus said as he lifted up his head and looked the sated expression on his husband's face.

"Thank you, Beloved, for this most wonderful gift. I am truly grateful that you have given it to me. I love you, Neroon"

Neroon placed a soft kiss on top of Marcus' head as he replied, "You, my love, are the only gift that I am grateful for and the only gift that I am willing to die for. I will always love you, Marcus. For in you I have found a love that will last forever." Then Neroon drew up the quilt from the bottom of their bed and covered them both as he kissed his lover good night.

 

A Father's Reflections

The glisting of the sunlight slowly entering Jeffery's room stirred him from his dreams. He let out a soft groan as he turned over in his bed and opened his eyes toward the stone ceiling above him.

He felt his thoughts wander to that day so long ago when he first met Marcus' mother. He remembered seeing her long wavy brown hair and her laughing emerald eyes as she looked up to him.

His thoughts reflected back on shared picnics, days in the summer sun and him laughing more then he has since. He remembered their only passionate night together and then him having to leave the next day, never knowing until her death that he had fathered a son.

A son that he is proud to know.

His Marcus is everything that a father would want in a son, a man of pride, skill, principles and beliefs.

Jeffery stood up and put on his robe as he walked over to where his balcony was. He gently pushed open the antique doors and walked barefooted across the stone floor.

'If,' he reflected.' he had any regrets, it would be that he wasn't there for Marcus' childhood. To see his son grow up to the man he is today.

'To be honest with himself,' Jeffery thought as he watched the rising of the morning sun across the Irish landscape. 'he was glad of this short time that he had to spend with his son. To get to know him better and to see love blossom between him and Neroon.

'Neroon,' He reflected with a slight shake of his head. 'Never thought he would see the day that the most stubborn of Minbari would fall for a Human. Not just any Human, but the son of Jeffery Sinclair and Valen no less.'

Jeffery shivered as he felt a cool breeze blow against his arms. 'I wonder,' He thought as he turned to head back toward his room. 'if Fate has a twisted since of humor. For only Fate could have come up with the idea of Neroon and Marcus coming together.'

"Fire, please," Jeffery asked the air. His fireplace suddenly lit up by the room's ghostly servants and a tray of tea appeared in the air and floated down to be placed on a side table.

'Yes,' he thought as he sat down and began to sip his tea and contemplate the morning fire. 'All in all I am pleased with the way things have turned out for Marcus. Even though Neroon had to go through all these trials, at least it was giving him one last chance to get to know his son. Before he was called back towards the veil.'

'A chance to see his son happy and in love. What greater thing could a father ever ask for.'

Then Jeffery silently to the air that was around him, "Thank you for giving me such a blessing and such a son."

Morning Interruptions

Marcus flung his head back as he let out a groan of pleasure while his body slowly began sliding down on Neroon's hard cock.

"So good," he panted between breaths while Neroon moaned softly at the sight of his handsome Marcus straddling his body as he slid down his straining cock.

'Now this,' Neroon thought as he reached up and pinched Marcus' sensitive nipples causing him to moan louder. 'This is the way we should wake up every morning.'

Slowly Marcus raised his straining body up Neroon's cock till it was almost out before he quickly slammed his body down once more causing them to both scream out as pleasure raced through their bodies.

Soon he began thrusting himself down bring them closer and closer to their climax.

"Yes!" Neroon called out as he reached for Marcus' cock and slowly began to stroke it up and then down.

"Oh Yes!" Marcus panted as he began to move his body up and down faster and faster till he felt his balls begin draw up and his body soon began to shake as his climax began to build up in his body.

"NEROON!" He screamed out as his climax took over, his body forcing him to cum so hard that his eyes rolled back and he blacked out,

The feeling of Marcus' tightening body around his cock brought Neroon to his climax causing him to thrust harder in Marcus' body, "Yes Marcus. OH YES!" He exclaimed as he felt his seed leave his body and enter his lover.

Silence feel upon them as Marcus limply fell across his lover as Neroon wrapped his arms around his naked lover.

It didn't last long however as childlike laughter filled the room and greenish blue smoke appeared by the fireplace.

"Now that's hot!" said a greenish girl with spiked black hair and fiery red eyes.

Neroon turned and watched the strange girl come closer. He watched as she lifted her hand up and waved it in the air causing golden dust fall gently on Marcus' sleeping face.

"Do not worry, Great Warrior. The dust will not harm our Laird. It will only place him in a deep sleep."

She then turned to face the stranger who held their Laird's heart, "I am Melanie, Queen of the Brownies. I am your last trial." With that she snapped her fingers and suddenly in a flash of smoke they disappeared from the room.

The Trial of the Brownies

When the greenish smoke cleared, Neroon turned to find himself standing at an entrance to an ancient cave. As he turned to look at the strange creature standing next to him, he noticed Jeffery had suddenly appeared near to him.

"Welcome to the cave of Rebirth. You have faced the trials of the fairies, druids, banshee and the elves and now it is time for your last trial."

"Rebirth can take many forms." She said as she motioned towards Sinclair. "There is the rebirth of the body, the rebirth of the soul and the rebirth of one's beliefs. Since you have been with Marcus, your beliefs have changed and have taken a new direction. They have already been reborn. Now that all remains to be reborn is your soul."

Her blood red eyes turned to face Neroon as she waved toward the dark entrance of the jagged cave. "Are you ready to face this trial, Neroon? If you back out now, your death will be at hand. However, if you go through this trial you may still die. Are you willing to face the rebirth of your soul?"

He turned to face the gaping darkness of the cave and nodded his head. "Yes, I am ready to face my rebirth."

With a wave of her hand a small glowing orb appeared before them. "This will be your only light in the darkness." The bright orb floated from her hand to his as he and Jeffery entered the cave of Rebirth.

"Good luck, Neroon of the Star Riders." She said as she disappeared in a cloud of green smoke.

~~~~

Marcus softly moaned as he hugged his pillow closer to his naked body and cracked open one eye.

He slowly took in the empty rumpled side of their bed and frowned.

"Neroon!" He softly called out as he got dressed and moved around the room. Silence answered his call as he opened up the door to the hallway and looked up and down the empty corridor.

Out of the corner of his eye he notice a door creaking slowly open.

"Neroon?" He called again as he walked towards the door. "Neroon, are you in there?" he asked again as he began to enter the room.

The Cave of Rebirth

A cold breeze blew across Neroon's and Jeffery's face as they walked along the cool stone cavern.

The silence was broken as a voice echoed through the cave.

"Who Are You?"

"I am Neroon of The Star Riders"

There was a pause in the air and the voice called out again, "Who Are You?"

Neroon lifted his head proudly as he answered, "I am Neroon. Husband to Marcus Cole, son of William Cole and Anna Taylor.

Silence filled the all most empty cave before the voice spoke again, "What do you want and what do you seek?"

"I want to be able to love Marcus freely without the feel of death and in order to do this I seek the rebirth of the soul."

A blinding flash of light appeared in the cave and took the form of a woman in long following cream robes and long blood red hair brushed against her pale skin.

Striking blue eyes glanced at Neroon as her voice echoed through the cavern. "I am the lady of the Cave of Rebirth. I am here to escort you through the rebirth of the soul. Are you willing to go through this?

"Yes, I am willing to go on," Neroon said as he stood in front of the woman.

She smiled softly down at Neroon and gentle touched his face. "Then face your rebirth and face your true calling, Neroon of the Star Riders."

With that everything went black as Neroon collapsed on the hard stone floor while his spirit left his body to face the trials of rebirth.

The Trial of the Soul

"You killed him!" Sinclair exclaimed as he bent over the fallen Minbari trying to a pulse on Neroon.

The lady of the cave merely smiled and shook her head. "He is just nearly dead. There is a difference between nearly dead and completely dead."

Sinclair glared at her as he watched the woman start to fade away. "Wait!" he cried out.

She paused as her deathly blue eyes flamed in anger. "What?"

"I promised my son that I would watch his husband's back. I need to know where Neroon is so I can help him."

"You can not go where you have all ready been once." As she spoke she disappeared into thin air.

Jeffery let out a soft sigh as sat down on the cold hard ground and watched his nearly dead son-in-law.

~~~~

His ghostly eyes took in the slowly turning tunnel before him. Cries for help and pleas for mercy called out through the misty forming tunnel.

He turned when he noticed the lady of the cave standing next to him.

"Welcome to the tunnel of lost souls. Neroon. The cries and pleas you hear come from them. Like you, have came in search of rebirth but were found unworthy of the reward. They are forever trapped inside the tunnel. Forever crying out for peace that will never come to them."

Her ghostly eyes turned to him as she motioned him forward through the tunnel.

"Follow me, do not be distracted by their pleas for once you are distracted you will fail and be forever trapped here in the tunnel of lost souls."

He watched her floating form enter the tunnel as he stepped behind her.

Swirls of once were humanoid forms swirled above them as their cries for help became louder and louder.

"Help us," they called out. "Please someone help us. Deliver us from our agony."

Suddenly the lady stopped at the end of the tunnel and moved aside showing a dark form appearing at the end of the tunnel.

A man's voice called out to him, "Who Are You?"

"I am Neroon, husband to Marcus Cole."

"What do you seek?"

"I seek the rebirth of my soul."

"The rebirth of the soul is painful. However, the reward is great to those who survive the pain. Are you ready to face the pain of the soul?"

"Yes."

Suddenly Neroon fell down on his spiritual knees and cried out in pain as he felt his soul twist and turn in stunning agony. He raised pain filled eyes and looked up to see a leering smile appear on his tormentor.

"Yes, Neroon. Feel the pain of the thousands that you have slain. Feel the pain of the great sadness that you have caused in the families of those you have killed. Most of all feel the pain that you will receive if you ever break Marcus' heart."

"I can not," Neroon groaned as he was hit with another sharp pain. "I can not feel his pain of a broken heart for if I ever broke his heart I would surely die of my own pain and guilt. Instead I feel the pain of our great love. It is so powerful that it is the pain of our love and only our love that I feel."

As quickly as the pain came it quickly disappeared. As his tormentor vanished also.

The lady of the cave smiled down on him as she touched his face.

"Rise, Neroon of Cole Castle. You have passed the final trial and now your soul will be reborn. You now have a new name that you will carry with you always. You will be forever known as Neroon of Cole Castle, Beloved of Marcus," With that they vanished once more back towards the entrance of the cave.

Neroon floated over to his still body and slowly settled himself back inside his body.

Jeffery gasped as the lady of the cave reappeared before them. He watched as she leaned over the still body and kissed Neroon on the lips. "Awaken, Neroon of Cole Castle."

Neroon opened his eyes and gasped for breath as Jeffery kneeled beside him and helped him sit up.

Greenish smoke appeared at the entrance of the cave as Queen Melanie of the Brownies took form.

"Good, he passed but we must hurry."

"Can't you see that he just came back from the dead," Jeffery exclaimed as he angrily stood and faced the Brownie Queen.

"Phish posh. He was just nearly dead. Did not the lady of the cave explain anything to you? Besides if we do not hurry now Marcus will be dead and not the nearly kind at all."

"What do you mean?" Neroon asked as he tried to gain his balance.

"I Mean that Marcus has entered The Red Room!" she exclaimed.

"The Red Room!" The Lady of the Cave exclaimed.

"Yes, The Red Room."

"Well you must go at once for The witch of the Red room is going to kill Marcus." The Lady of the Cave exclaimed as she waved her hand in the air and watched them vanish before her eyes.

 

 

To Be Continued

 


Challenges * Home * Stories