Fandom: Magnificent 7
Pairing: Mainly Chris/Vin, but there's a threesome alluded to in the end. I'm not telling who
Rating: NC17
Disclaimer: Shall we all sing along. I don't own them (someone else does). I don't make any money at this (someone else does). I write this purely for my own twisted sense of enjoyment. JJ looks up to see list parents frowning at her, and scuffs her feet: Okay Okay... Magnificient Seven and it's characters are owned by CBS Television, The Mirisch Corporation and MGM. No copyright infringement is intended.
Notes: My webpage is JJ's Ramblings.
I would appreciate it if anyone wants to write on this story that they let me know. I have a sequel I need to get banged out on the keyboard one day.

Warnings: This story contains violence, sexual situations of characters of the same sex (Yeah!) and rape is alluded to. There is also non-consensual drug usuage and a few other nasties that might affect the squimish.
Summary: Chris thinks he can handle a situation by himself. Ooops, darn that ego of his.

Challenge: the Birthday Challenge, it's a birthday fic for a list sib

 


The Trade

by JJ




Chris sat in the hotel eating breakfast with Nathan. Josiah was out at the church, Buck and and Ezra had not made their appearances yet. JD was on watch this morning and Vin... Vin had gone off to be by himself for a couple of days. Chris sighed as his played with the eggs on his plate.

He and Vin had been lovers for how long now? Almost a year, but every once in a while, Vin needed some space. Chris could understand that and so he waited patiently; at least, he looked patient. Inside, blue eyes haunted his nights, the feel of Vin's hair running through his fingers, or his mouth...

"Excuse me, I am looking for Mr. Larabee?"

Chris looked up suddenly and saw a slight chinese man standing across the table from him. He felt the rush of warmth to his cheeks and knew he was blushing. He saw Nathan's smile and knew he had been caught daydreaming.

"I'm Chris Larabee."

"Mr. Larabee, I heard about you from a young friend of mine. He said you assisted him when there was a problem when the railroad was put in."

Chris just nodded.

"Care to sit down?" Nathan asked.

The man nodded and pulled a chair out. "My name is Sin Lu. I live in a small town farther down the railroad. Men have come to our town and are making it hard for us. They threaten us, and the Sheriff, he doesn't do anything. We need your help."

"What type of men?"

"Hard men with guns. They beat my brother up, and took his daughter for the opium houses. They use us like cattle."

Chris and Nathan exchanged glances. Chris took a sip of his now cool coffee and stood up.

"When the others wake up, tell 'em where I've gone. I'll take a look around and be back tonight."

"You sure?"

"A look around shouldn't be too dangerous."

By noon, Chris was tying his horse to a rail outside of the saloon/hotel. He and Sin Lu had talked a good portion of the way there, but the smaller man had left Chris' company about a mile before town, not wanting them to be seen together.

Chris went into the bar and ordered a beer. The place looked quiet enough, during the day at least. He took a drink, washing the dirt and dust from his mouth. He sighed and looked around.

The bartender was watching him as he dried glasses behind the bar. A young chinese woman was on her hands and knees scrubbing the wood floor.

"Mighty fancy rig you got there, Mister," the bartender noted.

Chris just stared at the man. Falling back into the role of gunslinger was easy enough for Chris. He had found himself loosening up since he and Vin had gotten together, it was nice to be able to feel again. However, this was not the time or place to be making friends. He could feel it.

He turned as the young woman stood up. She looked up quickly and then lowered her head, but not quickly enough to hide the massive bruising on the side of her face. She had been beaten, and Chris felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. She picked up the bucket and quickly left the room.

Chris finished his beer and went back out into the street. He would look around town, but he was probably going to spend the night. He would telegraph the others and let them know. Even with the small amount of time he had spent there, he knew this might take a little while.

During the day, he listened and watched, and what he saw only enforced what Sin Lu had told him. The main part of the town was inhabited by people you'd see in most towns, but if you watched the corners and shadows, there were hard men lurking there. And, if you looked really hard, you saw the Chinese. They were afraid, moving quietly, fearfully.

He made his way to the telegraph office and sent a cryptic message. Buck would figure it out, but most people wouldn't look twice at it. "Spending the night here. Tell the preacher and Junior to mind the store for me. See you soon."

He went back to the saloon and took a chair near the back and watched. No more or less than rowdy than back home, but he did see the young woman who had been scrubbing the floor was now wearing a low necked dress and was being man-handled despite her obvious dislike of it.

When a drunk man shoved his face down the front of her dress and she screamed and tried to push him away, Chris stood up. The man slapped her to the floor, the bartender came around the bar and pulled the young woman to her feet by her hair, and Chris fired a shot at the man's feet as he was about to sling the woman back towards the drunk.

"Don't."

The bartender raised his hands slowly and backed away from the young woman. The drunk, who was now amazingly sober, backed away from her as well.

"You want her? She's yours," the drunk slurred nervously. "There's plenty where she came from. Just put your gun away. Don't want no problems from someone as quick as you."

Chris nodded as the girl moved towards him. He slowly put his gun away and sat back down.

"You want another drink?" the girl asked quietly.

Chris just shook his head. "You?"

"No, sir."

Chris stayed in the bar for a little while longer and then went upstairs with the girl in toe. He had no intention of touching her, but he wasn't going to let what was going on downstairs continue either. He closed nd locked the door to his room, and turned back to see her lighting a lamp. He looked at her and said,

"I'm not going to hurt you."

She shyly nodded, but still reach around to the back of her dress and began to unbutton it.

"No. I ain't going to do that either."

She held the sagging bodice of her gown to her chest.

"Then why did you bring me here?"

"'Cause I couldn't stand to watch that anymore."

"You claim me to stop it? I'll be beaten tomorrow for not making money."

Chris shook his head in disbelief.

"I'll take care of it."

He spent the night in a chair and allowed the young woman to use the bed. She appeared to settle down once she was sure she wasn't going to be beaten for not having money the next morning.

As the sun rose, the young woman left with enough money to keep her out of trouble. Chris came down later, ate a leisurely breakfast and wandered over to the Chinese section of town. He could see the early morning activity: shops opening, errands being run. On the surface, this town looked normal, but underneath was a current that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

He leaned against a post and watched. A man came stumbling out of a building not too far from him. Chris noticed the way his clothes were completely disarrayed, the way he shielded his eyes from the sun and his uneven step. It was more than just drunk, and then he remembered Sin Lu's words. An opium house? Chris appeared to wander in that direction for a moment, but scented the wind as he walked downwind. Yes, he recognized the smell. That was opium.

He strolled back towards the railroad station, thinking. He wondered who the ringleaders were. There was a message waiting for him. "Thought you'd like to know, Doc had to put some stitches in Junior. We're fine, see you tomorrow."

Chris cocked an eyebrow. Why had Nathan had to stitch JD up? Whatever it was they had dealt with it, and would be there the next day. He went and ate lunch.

For the rest of the day, he asked a few questions here and there. He talked to the guy running the livery stable where he put his horse. He talked to the telegraph guy when he checked for a new message, he talked to the guy behind the counter at the general store. But mainly what Chris saw was fear. He saw people look away when he asked questions that were too close to home. He saw people make excuses to leave when he walked in a room. News traveled fast around here, that was for sure.

Finally Chris made his way up to his room. Everything was pretty much what he expected. People didn't talk much, but he had picked up some hints. People in this town were scared. He was glad the others would be there tomorrow. He figured it would go about the same as usual. Josiah would bust a few heads, JD would learn a few more lessons, Buck's find himself a woman for the night and he would probably put another notch or two in his gun belt, not that it was something he was proud of. Yep, pretty much what he expected, he thought to himself as he opened the door to his room.

What he wasn't expecting was the gun butt applied to the back of his skull as he walked in the door.

Chris woke up with a blinding headache. He tried to roll to his side only to find he couldn't. He felt fuzzy, like he was in a dream. He pulled weakly at the rough hemp holding his hands above his head. Then at the whatever was holding his feet down. Chris opened his eyes and took in a darkly lit room heavy with smoke.

"Back among the living, Mr. Larabee?" a voice said.

Chris narrowed his eyes as he stared at a well dressed man leaning against a wall.

"Welcome to one of my establishments."

This guy talked as fancy as Ezra but didn't have the southern drawl. Chris glanced around the room and saw his duster, hat and gun belt hung carefully on the far wall with his boots neatly below them. He glanced back to the well dressed man.

"Why are you here, Mr. Larabee."

"Just passing through," Chris said, wondering why his tongue felt so thick and why thinking was so hard.

"I'm sorry I don't believe you. Men just passing through don't send strange messages, don't ask questions and don't save working girls."

"Who are you?"

"That is not relevant. I ask you again. Why are you here, Mr. Larabee?"

Chris licked his incredibly dry lips, once more trying to shake the haze that held his mind.

"Perhaps a drink." The man lifted Chris' head and held a cup to his lips. Chris sniffed and then drank.

"I'm telling you, I'm just passing through. I like to talk to people." Chris said, as the man lowered his head. "The girl was being slapped around. I didn't like it."

"Maybe later you will be more agreeable to telling me the truth."

The man left, and Chris slipped back into sleep.

He woke up to being fed something. Instinctively, he swallowed and then tried to spit whatever it was out. It was sharp tasting, and dissolved in his mouth. He opened his eyes again only to still be fuzzy and hazy. The young woman from the bar was sitting beside him with a spoon and a bowl in her hands.

"What was that?" Chris asked, turning his head to the side and trying to spit it out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"What was that?" Chris demanded.

"It was opium, Mr. Larabee," the man from earlier said. "You've been taking stronger and stronger doses of it for the last two days."

"Two days. I ain't been here for two days."

"Oh yes, you have. Your friends got here yesterday. We told them you had moved on, but they are a very distrusting lot and have taken up residence. It also appears..." The man opened the door. "Marty, come in here." He took the girl from the young woman. "You can leave."

The girl scurried away as a dirty looking man came in. He smiled dangerously at Chris, while the leader added more water to the bowl and stirred it.

"Hold him."

Chris found his jaw forced open wide and his nose plugged. His mouth was filled with the noxious mixture, and then a hand clamped over his mouth preventing him from forcing the noxious liquid from his mouth. But, even as he fought to empty his mouth, he was held still. Soon, it was either swallow or choke as he tried to breath the liquid. He swallowed, and began to retch and cough.

"It appears that I was correct, Mr. Larabee. You are here to try to shut us down."

When Chris lay back on the cot, the man gestured towards the door and Marty left.

"Mr. Larabee, I want you to understand something. You are my insurance against your friends. If they don't leave, you will pay the price." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and wiped Chris' face. "Let's hope, for your sake, they are intelligent men and they leave." And he left the room.

Chris lay there in the darkened room, and slowly he relaxed. He stopped fighting the ropes. All tensions in his body fading away. He stared happily and blankly at his guns knowing there was a reason he wanted them, but not able to get a hold of why.

* * *

All that Chris remembered from that moment on was dream like. He remembered being fed something that tasted horrible and more dreams. Dreams about about people asking him questions, about his wife, Four Corners and Vin. He remembered being let loose, but couldn't remember why that was important.

Then Vin was there, crouching next to him, stroking his face.

"Chris? Chris can you hear me?"

He smiled and stroked his lover's face. "Are you real this time?" Chris asked, as his hand fell back to his side. "I can't tell anymore."

"Shit. What have they done to you?" Vin asked, as Chris reached out for him again. He caught Chris' hand and squeezed it. "I'm real. We're gonna get you home, Chris. Everything's gonna be fine."

"Okay. Hey, is JD okay? Buck said Nathan had to stitch him up."

"He tried to break up a bar fight. Took a bottle across the head."

"Man, that's too bad," Chris said dreamily. "Waste of good whiskey."

Vin smiled faintly and stroked Chris' hair but Chris could see the spark in his eyes. He stroked Vin's face again. "Why you so angry, Vin?"

"No reason, Chris. You just...take it easy." Chris saw sadness in Vin's eyes.

"Okay."

"After I am assured you have left my town, Mr. Tanner, I will release him. You have my word."

"Then what? He can't get home like this, you sorry son of a bitch."

"I'll make you a deal, leave the other gentleman. What was his name, ah yes, Mr. Standish. I will allow him to stay and take Mr. Larabee home, after I receive a telegraph from Four Corners saying you have arrived there."

"I ought to kill you, you..."

"Ah, ah Mr. Tanner. I would hate to have Mr. Larabee suffer some sort of overdose due to your temper. Now I would suggest you leave."

"Vin, please don't go."

Vin knelt next to him. "I have to, Pard, but don't worry. I'll take care of everything, okay?"

"Okay."

Chris once more sunk into dark oblivion.

* * *

Vin left the house in a fit of temper. He reached the others and tersely spoke.

"Ezra, you stay here. When they get word we're back in Four Corners they'll let him go. JD, you ride hell bent for leather for Four Corners, and when you get there, you telegraph that son of a bitch and tell him, we're there. The rest of you. Mount up. We're taking him down. Ezra, if this don't work - you get Chris out of here. You get him cleaned up and dried out before you take him back."

"What've they done to him, Vin?" Buck asked quietly. "They ain't got him back in a bottle, do they?"

"No," Vin said, loading his Winchester. "Opium."

"That's most insidious. A difficult problem to overcome considering how popular it is," Ezra said calmly. "It could take quite a while. Where do you suggest I go."

"Go father down the tracks, to where we ain't known."

"Nathan, any suggestions?"

"None. He's just gotta sweat it out. It kinda depends on how long and how much. He'll start screaming. Ever seen anyone coming off a laudanum binge?"

"Only that unfortunate fellow at the Seminole camp."

"Just keep him quiet and away from opium, it'll take up to two weeks before he's good."

Vin looked up sharply when Josiah touched his arm. "Just what are you planning, Vin?"

"We're gonna hole up until we see Ezra get Chris. Then we're going in and tearing this place apart, and we're taking Mr. Collins and his little operation down."

"There's innocent people in this town, Vin. We can't just shoot it up," Buck said.

"We know where the bad guys are. And we know what's gonna happen when we blow this place."

"Blow this place?"

"Yeah, when I was down at the railroad today, I saw a shipment of nitro sitting on those tracks." Vin smiled in a way that JD shivered. It wasn't often Vin scared him, but that smile did and it had taken a lot of practice on Vin's part to get it just right. "We are going to reduce every single one of those buildings to kindling."

"Nitro?! Are you nuts?"

"Bucklin, if you saw what I just saw, you would have drawn down."

* * *

As the five rode out of town, Vin saw one of Collins' boys tip his hat. He almost shot him. If it hadn't been for Josiah blocking the shot, he just might have.

"Ain't gonna do Chris one bit of good you get yourself shot."

"They'll pay, Josiah. I promise you that. They'll pay for what they've done."

"That's fine. Let's just get Chris out of the line of fire first."

They road two miles out of town. Vin scanned the horizon with his spy glass. He was pretty sure they weren't being followed and sent JD on. The kid immediately whipped his horse into a gallop, headed for Four Corners.

The rest of them dismounted and started walking back towards Collinstown.

Vin walked real quiet with his hat pulled down low over his eyes. He knew if Buck saw how angry he really was, he'd pull him back, but Buck hadn't seen Chris lying on a cot in the basement of some opium house. Hadn't seen the sickening smile on his face as he lay there on dirty blankets with his guns just feet away. Buck hadn't seen the shaking hand or the hollow cheeks of a man who hadn't eaten in days. Buck hadn't seen his lover reduced to that. No, JD was fucking safe riding for Four Corners. If it had been JD in that house, he would have had to knock Buck out.

Vin focused his anger. He knew what they were going to do, and he was looking forward to it. He would pull a couple bottles of nitro from that train, and those opium houses would become tinder. Once Chris was free and clear. Then as people began to...

He and the others all stopped and hid in a nearby arroyo. Someone was coming. Vin could have cussed. Damn it, it was Ezra. He went to the horse and grabbed its bridle.

"What in the.."

"I am so glad Mr. Collins was right, otherwise...I was a dead man," Ezra said, as he toppled off the horse. Josiah caught him and held him upright while Nathan cut the ropes holding his hands to the saddle horn.

Vin wanted to scream. Ezra had had the crap beaten out of him.

"Vin," Ezra said, "Mr. Collins said he knew you would break the deal and he's already sent Chris back to Four Corners with several of his associates. Vin, he'll dump him in the middle of the street."

"And while we're riding to save Chris..." Buck said.

"Collins is riding out of town."

"Exactly," Ezra said. "He was packing as we had our little 'talk'." Ezra coughed weakly.

"Go!" Nathan said. "I can take care of Ezra. You all git."

"Buck, Josiah. Take care of Chris." With that Vin pulled up on Peso and headed back to Collinstown.

"No!" Buck called, but he was too late.

"You all go on. Hell, we'll do what we can. We'll either bring him back dead or alive, but you go deal with Chris," Nathan said, as he helped Ezra sit up.

The two look indecisively for a moment, then both mounted and took off for Four Corners. Nathan looked down at Ezra.

"Can you ride?"

"I believe I managed to get here, didn't I?"

"Can you shoot?"

"That is questionable with my eye swollen shut, but I will attempt to kill the correct people."

"Good enough." Nathan helped him to his feet and they started back towards Collinstown.

* * *

When Nathan and Ezra snuck into town, it was almost nightfall.

"Stay here," Nathan ordered. He slipped over to the railroad and checked the car out. Sure enough, Vin had been here. He made his way back to Ezra.

"He's gonna blow that side of town."

"We must stop him. I don't believe any of the people there are responsible for what happened."

"Finding Vin Tanner when he don't want to be found could be just a bit difficult, Ezra."

"That is true enough, but I think he will be on top of the hotel we stayed at for the best possible shot at Mr. Collins' main establishment."

They made there way and slowly climbed to the top floor. Nathan could reach the roof, but Ezra was in no condition to be pulling himself up.

"Go on. I will cover this area and make sure you can talk to Mr. Tanner."

"And if Mr. Tanner don't want to talk?"

"I would suggest the prudent application of the butt of your gun to his hard Texas skull."

"Now that, I can do."

Soon, Vin saw reason, and a gun pointed at him, and decided that attacking Mr. Collins' houses was not a good idea.

The ride to Four Corners was very quiet.

* * *

They road into Four Corners the next morning. JD came out to meet them.

"I got here in time, only a few people saw him. Buck wants to move him to the cabin."

"Bring him out. He can ride with me."

"Vin," Nathan said. "Peso's played out. Take your wagon. It's more private."

Vin's face twitched, but he nodded. "Hook the wagon up. I'll get Chris."


Vin slowly entered the room where Chris was sleeping. He looked so peaceful, all stretched out like that. He sat down beside him and rearranged the blankets around him.

"I'm sorry, Chris," he whispered, stroking his lover's hand. "If I hadn't taken off on you, you wouldn't have gone by yourself, and none of this would've happened."

"It ain't your fault, Vin," Buck said from the doorway.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to tell you, we're bringing the wagon up and see if you wanted some help getting him down."

"No, I got him."

"Vin, now I know you're angry. And you got every right to be, but you're gonna have your hands full when he starts to come down. Let me help you while I can." Buck's voice was calm and soothing. He was trying to reason with Vin and Vin could see his point. "I know you're hurting, Cowboy, but there ain't no sense in hurting yourself now. Vin, I know about your back, just let me carry him down. I'll drive the wagon and then once you're settled, I'll leave you two alone." Vin didn't answer, afraid his voice would betray the pain in his heart. "Vin, he's my friend. Let me help."

Vin wiped angrily at his face. He didn't want Buck to know he was crying, but he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. Buck gave a light squeeze, and then moved to cradle Chris to his chest, and started out the door.

Nathan met them at the wagon.

"I got you two bottles of whiskey. Now, I ain't saying let him drink himself into oblivion, but it can be used medicinally to ease the cramping."

Vin nodded as he watched Buck gently lay Chris in the back of the wagon and lower the flaps to shield Chris from prying eyes.

"Vin, now you listen close. He might get violent. You...may have to restrain him. I suggest you don't leave no loaded guns laying around."

"Chris wouldn't shoot me."

Nathan took a step back from the anger and outrage in Vin's eyes. "You're right, Chris Larabee in his right mind would never shoot you. But, Chris Larabee coming down off opium would do about anything for more. If there is any laudanum out there, get rid of it."

Buck stepped between the two men. "I'll make sure they're okay, Nathan."

Vin started to pull away from Buck, until he saw the warning in his eyes. Vin just bit down and kept his mouth shut.

"You just be careful, Vin. He'll be cramping and throwing up, and getting the chills and the shakes. It can get pretty nasty, but you just gotta ride it out. He should be fine, though. I ain't heard of any people dying from coming off the stuff."

"I'll do it, Nathan and...thanks."

"I understand, Vin. Truly, I do."

With a nod to the other men, Vin climbed into the back of the wagon. He settled himself on the floor and cradled Chris' head in his lap. He felt the buckboard dip as Buck got on, and braced as the wagon lurched forward.

For a while, Vin just looked at Chris' peaceful face, but he saw the sunken cheeks, and he couldn't help but see his lover reaching out for him in that snake pit like they were at the cabin. Collins would die. Vin didn't make that vow to himself lightly. He knew most of the others would try to stop him and so would Chris, but he meant to keep it.

Soon, his own fatigue caught up with him, and he laid down with Chris, pillowing his lover's head on his arm. He wrapped the other around Chris' waist holding him close.

"I love you, Chris. I'll never say it enough. I love you."

Soon, the rocking motion of the wagon, mixed with Chris' deep even breathing and the heat of the early afternoon lulled Vin into a light sleep.

He woke up when the wagon stopped. He sat up as Buck climbed down. Chris was still sleeping. Slowly, Buck opened the flaps to the wagon.

"How's he doing?"

"Still sleeping."

Buck lowered the back of the wagon, reached in and lifted Chris into his arms once more. Vin climbed out and opened the door to the cabin. Buck swept in and laid Chris on the bed.

"Buck, you ever seen someone hooked on opium?" Vin had sat down on the edge of the bed.

"No, but I seen enough coming off rot gut. Ain't pretty, Vin. He'll scream, cuss, threaten, throw up, shake like he were freezing to death. He'll beg, do whatever he can to get to it." Buck turned to the younger man. "He'll be hurting, but you gotta stay strong. I'll get the supplies out of the wagon."

When he came back in the door, Vin looked up. "If it were JD, what'd you do?"

Buck's face twitched and blanched. "I'd tie him down and sit with him through it. I'd hand feed him broths, and keep him warm and tell him I loved him and touch him no matter what he said to me."

Vin nodded, knowing his distress was showing. "Thanks, Buck. I appreciate everything you've done."

"Vin, you and Chris, you're special. Me and JD wouldn't have made it if it hadn't been for you two shielding us. JD would've headed out. I'll do what I can."

Vin just nodded, remembering how JD had been so touchy when they first got together.

"I'll be back in a week with your horses. By then it just ought to be getting him healthy again."

"Okay."

Vin sat there for a long time, watching Chris. He thought about tying him up like Buck had suggested, but he just couldn't do it. He didn't think he could look at Chris tied down like some animal.

He went hunting real quick and took down a few rabbits. After skinning them, he put them in a pot for soup. He looked through the supplies. He put the second bottle of whiskey down in the well. That way if Chris did something stupid, he'd have that one as a back up. As he was checking the stew, he heard Chris moan and hurried back to his side.

"Chris, can you hear me?"

"Vin?" came the weak question. Chris blinked hard against the light in the room and finally covered his eyes. Vin took his free hand.

"I'm here."

"What happened?"

"I'll tell you later, Chris. You just rest okay."

"I don't feel good, Vin. My gut's churning and I feel like I been drug behind a horse."

"I know. We'll get through it. You rest."

* * *

Vin had seen some ugly things in his days, but three days later as he dragged himself out of the chair, he couldn't remember anything worse than this. He turned to look at Chris, he was fighting the ropes Vin had been forced to use on him. It still just ate at Vin to look at Chris like that, but he had padded the ropes to keep Chris from getting rope burn, and after Chris had tried to walk out of the cabin while Vin slept convinced him it was necessary.

He had sat with Chris through the shakes and the vomiting. Vomiting hell, tortuous dry heaves, that made Vin think it was possible to heave your stomach back up. He had tried to block out the moans and curses and cries of agony, as Chris' body and mind ached and screamed for more opium. Despite it being June and plenty warm, Vin had three blankets on Chris and a fire going. He had watched his lover, his heart, his soul mate, scream at him, not recognizing him, calling him vile names. The fevered eyes, the pale skin, the cramps that curled Chris up like a baby, writhing against the pain.

But what hurt the most were the lucid moments, when Chris begged Vin let him loose. That he wasn't gonna do that no more, but Vin had learned he would. It would take a day of Chris not fighting those ropes before Vin would let him go.

"Please, Vin. You gotta get me some. I'm dying," Chris moaned, as Vin moved to his side.

"No, you ain't gonna die. You just gotta finish getting your body cleaned out. Are you hungry?"

Chris' moods turned like lightening these days. "No, I ain't hungry, you stupid fucker. I'm hurting." Chris pulled at the ropes as his stomach twisted in knots. Vin had learned to tell the difference. "Let me loose, you god damned, stupid, lamed out, horse thief." His scream tore at Vin. Then Chris relaxed. "Please, Vin, help me. I'm hurting. I'm hurting so bad."

"Here, try some of this." He poured a small glass of whiskey, and came back to the bed. He lifted Chris' head and gave him a sip. Chris took two or three swallows and then they both waited to see if his stomach would accept it. Chris sighed and nodded, and Vin put his head back down.

"I'm sorry, Vin. I don't mean none of that stuff. I'm just..."

"Hush, cowboy. I know you don't mean it. That's just that stuff talking." He leaned down and gently kissed Chris, and stroked his hair back. Chris didn't exactly smile back, but he sighed as Vin gently rubbed his temples.

Later, Vin gave him a bath. He warmed the water and carefully stripped Chris. After he had taken a boot in the chest, Vin had decided that hiding Chris' boots would be a wise idea. He let one limb loose at a time.

"You can untie me, Vin. I won't fight you."

"Not yet, Chris. Not yet."

"I hate being tied down, Vin. You know that."

"I do, but I can't take the chance of you going out of your head again and trying to leave."

"I won't, Vin. I swear it to you. Please let me loose."

Vin looked up into those blue eyes and his heart melted. Chris hadn't been fighting to get free today and just a few times when he lost his temper. "I'll make you a deal, Chris. You don't fight those ropes anymore today, and I'll untie you tonight and you can sit up and eat."

"I want free now, damn it!" Chris jerked at the ropes. "I ain't some low life scum you gotta tie out like a rabid animal. Let me loose, Tanner, or I swear, I swear I'll kill you!"

Vin just sighed and retied Chris' leg, making sure the padding wasn't gonna slip. "Sorry, Pard. I can't do that."

* * *

On the fifth morning, Vin awoke to blue eyes staring at him. Very lucid, very pained blue eyes.

"Chris?"

"Yeah, Vin. How we doing?"

"You slept last night. How you feeling?" Vin scrambled to the side of the bed.

Chris smiled weakly. "I'm about to pee myself. Vin, I know I've been dangerous, but can I sit up and take care of this myself."

Vin stared at him for a moment. Then he nodded. He reached out and untied Chris' legs first. He waited for a moment and watched Chris.

"I ain't gonna do nothing, but use that bucket. And if you don't hurry, you're gonna be washing these blankets."

Vin smiled at the weak humor/order. He untied Chris' hands and helped him sit up.

"Far enough," Chris gasped. "I think if I try to stand and do this, you'll have to catch me." A moment later, Chris heaved a huge sigh of relief. He looked at Vin who had moved away to give him a little privacy. "How'm I doing?"

"Better. How you feeling?" Vin turned back with a small bowl of soup.

"Like I've been really sick for a long time."

"That's about the gist of it. What do you remember?"

"That town and waiting for you all, and then...Collins, and that room and..." Chris looked up. "What in the hell did he do to me?"

"Hooked you on opium, pard. Then used you to keep us distracted till he took off."

"How long've we been here?" Chris slowly started to drink the soup. "Tastes good."

"First thing you've eaten in a while, so take it easy." He sat down beside Chris. "We've been here for almost a week. Been almost two since you took off for Collinstown. Chris, I'm sorry I took off on you."

Chris paused with a spoon halfway to his lips. "Vin, if you're trying to blame yourself for this, don't. I made a decision and then got stupid. I shouldn't have gone alone."

That was the end of the withdrawals, but Chris was weaker than a ten year old child. He could barely sit up for any length of time before he needed to rest. Vin kept prodding him to do more and he began to show some improvement.

On the morning of the seventh day, Chris looked at Vin.

"You ever gonna give me my boots back."

"Well, you know the old saying, Chris. Keep 'em barefoot and..." Vin laughed and ducked the pillow sailing at his head.

"Good thing I don't have my gun."

"Ah, now Chris. I maybe a little slack sometimes, but I ain't stupid." Vin's smile was huge. He came and sat down next to Chris. He leaned over and kissed his lover, and felt Chris respond. How long had it been for them? Nearly two weeks, really almost three if you counted in when Vin had come up here to be alone. Chris wrapped his arms around his neck and pulled Vin with him to the bed, but when Vin's hands touched Chris' ribs sticking out, he pulled away.

"No, you ain't healthy enough for that, Chris."

"Tell him that." Chris was looking down at the obvious tent in the sheet.

Vin laughed. "I know. I'm in the same condition. Tell you what. I'll take care of that for you."

"Vin, no. I can't ask you to do that," Chris argued, but he quickly was pushing up into Vin's hand and then his mouth. It didn't take long for him to come, and then fall into an exhausted slumber.

* * *

Late in the afternoon, Vin heard a lot of horses. He got his scattergun, and then glanced out the window. He smiled, lowered the hammers on the gun, stepped out onto the porch and greeted the five men who had become his family.

"How's he doing?" Buck called.

"Better. Like you said. Now it's just a matter of getting him healthy."

"You don't mind, if I be the judge of that, do you?"

"Nope, not at all, Nathan. In fact, I think you'll be right pleased with my doctoring."

Nathan mumbled something as he brushed past Vin. Something about uppity white folk. Vin just smiled. JD came up to him with a worried look on his face.

"Is he really okay, Vin. We been worried about him."

"Go see for yourself, JD. I'm sure Nathan won't mind some visitors," he called loudly over his shoulder. Buck just squeezed his shoulder and went into the cabin.

"How you doing, Vin?" Josiah asked as he too came to the doorway.

"Whole bunch better now, Josiah. Thanks."

"Vin!" Chris' voice rose loudly. "What In The Hell Is Going On?"

"The boys came to visit, boss." Vin gave Josiah a quick wink and nodded at Ezra, who had come up behind the big preacher.

"I see, Mr. Larabee's voice suffered no harm from his ordeal."

"None at all."

"Nathan, that is COLD!"

"Shut up, Chris."

That night, they all sat there and talked.

"So how did you talk Vin out of blowing everything up?" Buck asked Nathan.

"Pointed a gun at the fool," Nathan said, with no humor.

"I told him, he'd probably blow us and the building we were on up, 'cause I had two bottles of nitro in my pockets."

"You skinned up on a roof with nitro in your pockets?" Chris asked, half angry and half scared at what his lover's anger had driven him to.

"Seemed like the thing to do at the time, Chris. After what that bastard did to you. He was lucky I didn't draw down on him then and there."

"I meant to ask you that, why didn't you, Vin?" JD asked, from inside Buck's arms by the fire.

"He had that crony of his pointing a scatter gun at Chris. I knew if I made one quick motion, he'd saw Chris in half."

"So when are we going after the unfortunate Mr. Collins?" Ezra asked, with an uncharacteristic gleam in his eyes."

"Soon as Chris's healthy," Vin replied firmly.

"I do believe I owe him for several grievous injuries against my person."

"Next to beating the crap outta you, Ezra, what else did he do?" Nathan asked.

"He stole my hideaway, and the rig. And his manners were atrocious."

There was something in the way he said that, that made Vin look up. He kept an eye on Ezra, and when the gambler went outside, he followed him. He caught up to him at the corral.

"What happened, Ez?"

"Nothing that I care to discuss with you, Mr. Tanner."

"Ezra, he didn't do nothing to you, did he?"

"And if he did?"

"Shit," Vin cussed. "Ezra, I'm sorry. I was so worried about..."

"I am quite aware of the situation, Mr. Tanner, and if we can keep this between ourselves, I would appreciate it."

"Can I help?"

"No, except perhaps, leave me alone and allow me a moment of quiet."

Vin caught Ezra's eyes and nodded. "I ain't good at talking Ezra, but you know if you need something, you just let me know."

"Thank you, Vin."

* * *

The next night, after Vin and Chris had finished packing to leave for town in the morning, Vin caught Chris around the waist, and pulled him in for a deep kiss.

"How you feeling?"

"Randy as a goat. How about you?"

"Same."

With a twist of his hips, Chris flipped Vin onto the bed.

"Hell, Pard. You're a whole bunch stronger than I thought you were," Vin said, raising up on his elbows. Chris smiled as he slowly unbuttoned his shirt and advanced on Vin like he was a steak dinner.

"You ain't seen nothing yet."

Vin chuckled as Chris straddled him, pinning him to the bed. Then he leaned over and grabbed Vin's wrists pinning them as well, and proceeded to rub himself on Vin.

"Shit," Vin moaned, as his cock swelled. Then he grinned wickedly up at Chris. "Okay, gunman, you got me. What you gonna do with me now? Take me in? Collect the bounty? Take advantage of me?"

"Don't tempt me, Texan," Chris said, as he swooped down and kissed Vin. He leaned all of his weight on Vin's wrists, and although Vin knew he could easily throw Chris, he didn't want to take a chance of hurting him. But having Chris Larabee on top of you, rubbing on you could make you do strange things. Like make inarticulate noises and push himself wantonly against him.

"Vin," Chris whispered in his ear. "Take the top. I ain't strong enough for it yet."

"You sure?"

"Hell, yes. We don't make love soon, my cock's gonna wither and fall off. Then again, I just might explode, too. So make your choice, take me or watch me die a horrible and painful death."

"Well, since you put it that way, guess I don't have no choice." Vin smiled, as he carefully rolled the two of them over. He leaned down and kissed Chris.

For a moment, he saw Chris in Collins' opium house, and Vin shuddered realizing how he almost lost him.

"I'll never leave you again, Chris. Not ever."

"You plan on being my shadow for the rest of our lives?"

"Yeah,"

"Give me my gun."

"What for?"

"I'll kill you now, and just end both of our misery." Chris stroked Vin's face tenderly. "Vin, we both need our time alone. Don't go getting all morbid like this was your fault. It happened. I made it. Don't go getting all possessive on me."

"Not even a little?"

"Okay, just a little."

Vin smiled and kissed Chris, all the while working the opening to Chris' pants. Vin almost had it opened, when Chris pulled Vin against him hard and kissed him deeply, completely distracting Vin from his target.

"Chris, come on. It's been almost a month for me. I can't take no games today."

"You saying you want it hard and fast, Cowboy?"

"I always want it hard and fast." That was enough to get Chris smiling.

"Sure enough." Chris sat up, and said, "Strip, Vin. I want you."

"Sure you're up to it?"

Chris looked down at his bulging pants. "Oh, I'm up for it. Question is, am I strong enough to finish it."

Vin was out of his clothes quicker than Chris imagined. He finished stripping his own clothes off and stepped up to Vin and slowly ran his hand over Vin's muscular shoulders. Then he reached down and took Vin's cock in his hand and stroked it.

"Oh, Chris, you're gonna kill me!"

Chris moved behind him, without releasing Vin's cock, and began to bite at his shoulders, sliding his own hard length against Vin's bare bottom.

"Want me, Vin?" He pulled the curly hair out of his way and marked Vin's neck.

"Yes, you know I do. Shit, yes, mark me, Chris. I missed you." Vin held his hands rigidly knowing Chris well enough to know if he did anything, Chris would stop this wonderful torture. He gasped when he felt Chris cock slide between his cheeks. The moisture he spread there spoke of his own excitement. "Chris, please, stop. I need you."

Teeth bit and pulled at his ear, when a breathy whisper made him shiver.

"On the bed, lover."

Vin quickly got on the bed, spreading his legs for Chris. He felt Chris' warm hand stroke his ass, while a finger tickled him.

"God, Vin, I want to make you beg for me."

"Not tonight. I'm too hot for you."

Vin felt the warm trickle of oil between his cheeks. He couldn't stop from moving and twisting his ass for Chris.

"I can see that."

When Chris began to open him, Vin moaned, "Don't need it tonight, Chris. Damn it, fuck me."

He heard the chuckle as he felt Chris thick cock nudge against him. Vin waited until the head was inside him and he consciously relaxed himself and pushed back when Chris pushed forward.

"Shit!" Chris gasped, as Vin took him deep.

"Fuck me, pard."

And that was all it took. Chris began to drive in and out of Vin, who dropped to his elbows and took his own cock in his hand and started pumping. It was hard and fast, no words of love, instead colorful expletives as the two vented a lust too long denied. Vin arched his back as sheer pleasure ripped through his body and into his own hand. He heard Chris moan and then that tell tale shudder that spoke of his own pleasure.

Vin wasn't surprised when Chris collapsed on top of him. They stayed that way for a moment, Chris kissing Vin's shoulder.

"Love you, Tanner."

"Yeah, Larabee, pretty darn fond of you, too," Vin murmured. A moment later, he dipped his shoulder and lowered Chris to the mattress gently.

Chris' eyes fluttered open. "Gotta get something to clean us up."

"I got it, pard. You just rest."

Vin got up and retrieved a pan and rag and cleaned himself and Chris. Then he eased Chris off the blanket and covered him with a clean one. Then Vin slid into the bed and pulled the sleeping Chris Larabee into his arms, and held his lover close for the rest of the night.


Vin was just a little slow settling into his saddle the next morning.

"Okay?"

"Sore, nothing serious."

"Sure?"

Vin just nodded, and reined Peso over. They got to town a few hours later. Chris noticed Vin was even slower about getting out of the saddle. He made a mental note not to do that again, but he really didn't think he could have stopped it last night. They'd both been as hot as branding irons.

They made their way to the jail and met up with Buck and JD. JD made to move towards Chris until Buck stopped him with a small shake of his head.

"Found Collins yet?"

"Yep, he just followed the rail line. 'Bout four towns farther down," Buck said, handing Vin the telegraph.

Vin looked at Chris and got a nod as a response.

"Get a car together, and tell the boys. We're riding the train down and we'll surprise Mr. Collins."

Buck nodded and headed out the door. Chris looked at Vin and saw the smile. Usually, they would have ridden, but they all knew Chris wasn't strong enough for that far a ride.

"Hungry?"

"Sure enough. You're cooking's gonna kill me."

"Fine. Next time you can do the cooking."

Vin winked at JD's broad smile. Chris sighed. Yep, they were all together again.

Buck came into Inez's later. He walked up to Chris and Vin.

"Everyone'll be ready. I gotta tell Ezra. He's still asleep."

Vin sat up straight. "I'll do it, Buck."

Chris wondered what that was all about, but knew Vin would tell him sooner or later. He watched his lover go up the stairs. Actually, he watched Vin's butt. The boy sure knew how to fill his pants out that was for sure.

* * *

Vin gently knocked on Ezra's door.

"Come."

He opened the door and was surprised to find a very haggard looking Ezra trying to shave. What was even more unusual were the two or three marks on his face.

"Ez?"

"Ah, Mr. Tanner. It is good to have you back in town. How may I be of assistance?"

"How 'bout you just sit down and let me finish that for you, before you slit your own throat."

"Just my hands are a bit unsteady this morning." Ezra once more laid the razor to his throat and on the upstroke, winced. He quickly snatched up a towel and held it to the nick.

"Ezra, been there. Let me help."

"I assure you, Mr. Tanner, I am capable of shaving myself."

"And most days, I'd agree with you, but not this morning."

There eyes met in the mirror, and finally Ezra sighed and sat down. Vin picked up the razor and turned to face him.

"We're leaving to go after Collins tomorrow. Gonna take a rail car with our horses. You up to it."

"A rail car. How dreadful. But you can be assured of the fact that I will be more than ready to pursue Mr. Collins."

"Thought so." He gently applied the blade to Ezra's throat and felt the slight tremor. He waited a moment and then drew the blade up Ezra's throat in a sure, firm stroke. "When's the last time you slept?"

"It has been several nights since I was able to sleep all night." Vin saw Ezra swallow several times.

"We'll get him, Ezra, and I promise it won't just be for what he did to Chris."

Vin watched as Ezra closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the back of the chair.

"He most assuredly will."

* * *

The next morning, they all piled into a rail car, their horses in the one behind him.

"Damn it, Vin. When are you gonna get a broke horse? Peso is plumb loco," Buck said, as he looked at the rope burns on his hand.

"Some horses don't like getting in rail cars. I told you I'd do it."

"Peso don't like nothing," Nathan grumbled, as he dug a small jar out of his pack. "Here, Buck. That'll ease the burn."

The ride was quiet. Chris fell asleep quickly leaning back against the wall.

"He up to this?" JD asked quietly.

"Make you a deal, Junior," Buck smiled. "You stop him."

"Uh uh. No way," JD said, shaking his head dramatically.

* * *

They arrived at the town just before sundown.

"Sit tight, boys." Chris said, staring between the slats in the car. "We'll just wait until sundown and then we'll pay Mr. Collins a visit."

They sat until the cool of the night passed over them. Ezra was getting as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Finally Vin went over to him. They locked eyes, and Ezra pulled his hands apart and sat down. Chris was once more watching and was beginning to get a real bad feeling in his gut.

"It's time."

The seven got out, and brought their horses out as well. Buck cussed when Peso followed Vin like a puppy down the ramp. He got a flash of dimples for that.

Quietly, they moved towards the loudest saloon there was. Chris stopped and looked over at Vin.

"Smell anything?" Vin stopped and inhaled through his nose with his eyes closed. He shook his head. They kept walking. Then Vin paused as turned into the wind. The others all followed him.

They came to a large building in a state of disrepair. Vin inhaled again and then nodded. They tied their horses up. Buck and Nathan went around back. Vin moved close to Chris.

"You okay?"

"Better 'n Ezra."

Vin cast a glance at the gambler and saw his face twitch. Then he looked at Josiah and JD.

"You two cover the front."

They nodded and moved off silently.

"Let's go," Chris ordered. The three men walked in the front door. And what happened next Vin dreamed about occasionally. He watched as Ezra walked in the door, he scanned the room and both of them saw Mr. Collins at a roulette wheel. Vin started forward, but jumped when a gun sounded. He looked back to see Ezra pulling the trigger. Shot after shot until he was empty.

Vin looked back at Collins. The man hadn't even dropped yet, and he knew why. He was leaning hard against a wall, but still standing. Not one of Ezra's shots were in vital areas. He might bleed to death, but he wasn't dying from the actual lead. Ezra had hit both shoulders, one through each Collins' hands, and one through one arm and Ezra must have missed with the sixth, but what really got to Vin was watching Ezra pull his hideaway from his shoulder holster and walk slowly towards Collins.

"Pay backs are such a bitch," the fine talking southerner said, as he took careful aim and shot Collins in the groin. From the way he collapsed, it was probably more in the pelvis, but Vin couldn't think of a more painful way to die. The scream Collins let loose with raised the hair on the back of Vin's neck. He glanced over at Chris, and saw him sweating.

They both watched Ezra walk up to the table, Collins was screaming, blubbering, begging that Ezra kill him. Ezra reached onto the table and picked up the house money and pocketed it. Then he looked at Collins, and with a sigh he pulled his knife and slit the screaming man's sleeve and retrieved his rig. Collins was near bleeding to death, and Vin could only watch as Ezra pointed the gun and put a bullet through Collins' head.

"Your debt sir, has been paid in full." Ezra announced. He then stood up and walked out of the building without another word.

* * *

The ride back to Four Corners was indeed quiet. Ezra wasn't talking to anyone and even JD had quieted down. When they stopped the first evening, Vin followed Ezra to a nearby creek and watched sadly as the gambler washed himself with his handkerchief.

"Ez?"

Ezra jumped and almost drew but then settled back to his knees.

"I can't seem to get his smell off of me, Mr. Tanner."

"Takes a while to fade, but it will."

He knelt next to Ezra and put a hand on his shoulder only to have it shrugged off.

"I am not that way, Mr. Tanner, and I believe Mr. Larabee would have my head if he knew you were approaching me this way."

"I ain't approaching you," Vin said sternly. "I was trying to be a friend."

There was a pause. "I know. I apologize. I just can't seem to get myself under control."

"Having that happen can do that to you."

"And how would you know?"

"I do." Ezra looked at Vin sharply. "First scouting trip. I was young, stupid. Men I was scouting for didn't much care whether or not I said no. They thought they'd got away with it, till I led them into Apache territory and left 'em there with a nice smokey fire. I heard 'em screaming that night."

"I am afraid killing Mr. Collins has given me no relief."

"Me neither, well...after a while it did."

"What are you telling me, Mr. Tanner?"

"Time. That's the only thing that heals it."

Ezra laughed and looked at his hands. "And this?"

Vin nodded. "That too."

Then he heard the tears and the raspy breathing. "He raped me, Vin. Tied me down and ripped into me."

"I'm sorry, Ezra. I figured if he was gonna do it to anyone he would have done it to Chris."

"I want to kill him again! I want to remove his head from his body slowly. Beat him until he screams and apologizes!"

"Can't do that. He's already dead."

Ezra washed his hands again. "Time, that's all I need is time. Thank you, Mr. Tanner."

Vin knew it was time to go. He left the creek and returned to the fire.

* * *

It was probably four weeks later when Vin noticed Ezra begin to smile again. He also noticed something else one night. He watched Buck touch the gambler and a warm smile touch both of their faces. Vin left the bar and went down to the jail.

"JD?" He called as he came in.

"Back here, Vin."

"Everything all right?" Vin asked, as he moved past the desk towards the cells.

"Fine. Why? Shouldn't it be?" JD asked, as he brought in a bucket of water through the back door.

"I was just wondering."

JD chuckled. "I told Buck you would notice."

"Notice what?"

"Him and Ezra."

"Buck and Ezra?"

JD nodded. "We all knew what happened or at least we guessed, and one night, we found Ezra fall down drunk. And I mean that literally. He was trying to walk somewhere and fell down. Anyhow, we took him up to our room and cleaned him up...sorta like you did with Chris. Anyhow, Ezra he goes into like shock or something, starts shaking, quits blinking and Buck wraps him up in those big arms of his and starts rocking him like a baby. Next thing I know, they're in bed, and well...he's still there."

"Buck dumped you?"

"No," JD laughed. "All three of us. I mean me and Ezra, not usually, but he needs Buck and if it keeps up. I don't have a problem with it."

"Shit!" Vin muttered, as he followed JD out the door.

"Yep, sometimes, life is strange, Vin. Real strange."

"Fate and destiny, JD. Fate and Destiny."

the end

 


Challenges * Home * Stories