Fandom: Mutant X
Pairing: Adam/Brennan
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: They're not mine. Thank god. With the lovely selection they offer, I'd never let any of them out of bed.
Notes: My webpage is iwannabedonna.
Damned Adam/Brennan plot Tribbles are at it again. I am looking for the proper person to blame. Also, for those who haven't heard, I'm working to answer every Challenge on the CtM list this month. So far, so good. And don't forget to feed the author. The Tribbles start nibbling my toes if they don't hear back.

Warnings: None.
Summary: Adam writes poetry. Brennan discovers said poetry.

Challenge: Answering the April 2003 Quickie Challenge (Poem or other bit about a rainbow) and Holidays/Birthdays Challenge (Encourage a Young Writer Day). It technically falls under the 'write poem as character' challenge, but I've got that one saved for something else.

 


Badly Considered

by Perpetual Motion




Given a perfect moment of serenity,
I would make love to you,
under a rainbow.
Watch your sweat glisten,
and shine,
and the light will refract,
and you will be covered in thousands of rainbows.

* * *

Adam read his poem and resisted the very strong urge to scratch out everything, crumple it up, and throw it away. Brennan was out for the day, helping out at a writing workshop for preteens, and Adam had spent the morning browsing through Brennan's poetry books.

Which had led to a moment of badly considered creativity in which Adam had written a poem about a rainbow. He grimaced and flipped the paper over, doodling chemical formulas on the blank side. He sighed, tossed the pen on his desk, and stood up. He went into the lab and shut the door.

* * *

"Adam?"

"In here." Adam turned from his experiment as Brennan walked into the lab. "Hey. How'd it go?"

"Pretty good. Had one kid who was really enthusiastic, but he really didn't have a lot of talent."

"You shatter his dreams?"

Brennan grinned. "I encouraged him. Just like I was supposed to."

"Ah." Adam smiled as Brennan kissed him. "Up for going out to dinner? Everyone's going to be back soon, and I want to hear all about today, without interruptions."

"Sounds good. Give me ten minutes to change."

"Sure." Adam turned around to finish off his experiment as Brennan left the lab. He'd just hung his lab coat up when Brennan leaned against the doorjamb and waved a piece of paper. "What's this?"

"What?" Adam looked up and made a slightly pained face as he recognized the paper. "That was...."

"It's pretty good." Brennan skimmed over the page. "I like the imagery."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. You sound surprised."

Adam rolled his shoulders in an extended shrug. "I just- writing's never been my forte. I can write a paper or a medical article, but I've never been very creative."

"What?!" Brennan gave Adam a disbelieving look. "You come up with a whole new way to sequence DNA, and you're not creative? You've got to be kidding."

"DNA and poetry are completely different."

"No, they're not. What you did when you helped all of us, it came from the heart. So does this." Adam smiled softly at Brennan. "You must have been great with those kids today."

"I did all right." Brennan smiled back at him. "I've got a whole new pupil to convince now." He walked across the room and kissed Adam leisurely. He leaned on Adam. "No one's ever written me poetry before."

"Never?"

"Well, once, but she was five, and it was really, really, really bad." Brennan rattled the paper in his hand. "This, though, this is good." He smiled and kissed Adam again. "And you don't kick me in the shins when I kiss you for it."

Adam laughed and made a mental note to give in to more ill-considered moments of creativity.

 


Challenges * Home * Stories